Speaker 1: Amy seemed to have it all, a loving family, a thriving dog training business, and deep roots in both her local community and a conservative church. But in twenty sixteen, her seemingly peaceful life took a terrifying turn when FBI agents showed up at her door with an unbelievable warning. Someone had gone on to the dark Web and tried to hire a hitman to kill her. The Murder for Higher Sight, known as Bessa mafia, operated in the shadows of the Internet, where bitcoin fueled contracts and anonymous users promised violets for a price. This is the story of Amy Alwines Dark Web murder.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked Ingrim, a.
Speaker 1: True crime podcast.
Speaker 2: The following.
Speaker 1: Material in more mature audience listener.
Speaker 3: Discretion Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 2: We sat down to record this and we're like, oh shit, you sound more sick than either of us realized. Stuff. Yeah, so I guess we're just gonna make you.
Speaker 1: I'll do it anyways. I'm fine.
Speaker 2: I know. I was like, do you are you sure? It's funny because I've been with you for days and sitting here, I can tell you you'res more sick than I have like the past days, just in your.
Speaker 1: The headphones though we're on that that helps to right, I guess, yeah, but yeah, I feel all like nasally congestion and stuff. But other than that, I feel fine. A little groggy in the morning, that's it.
Speaker 2: So I guess you're gonna just push through.
Speaker 1: Hey, I will. I've got coffee. I was gonna have a breakfast beer this morning, but oh my goodness, I was thinking of it. But I needed, especially to sound a little bit better this morning. I needed a warm beverage to ensure that. You know, it's helping soothe me.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, we should have done some nice like soothing tea for you or something.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with soothing coffee? It's called caffeine. That's technically a drug. I'm not saying it's going to be a drug to help this, but it is technically a drug.
Speaker 2: Okay, it is. I'm like, I don't want to respond to that without getting backlash.
Speaker 1: So fair enough. We also may have some background noise here in today's episode. In the next few episodes, we may because we recently purchased the new baby Baby Chicks Baby Chicken for our chicken flock, and so we have them in the house right now on a heat lamp and everything, and they're they're living their best life right now.
Speaker 2: So they're literally the cue. I'm obsessed. I feel like I'm more obsessed with these than the last ones. But I probably was just as obsessed and I forgot.
Speaker 1: Probably it's just the new babies, right. So, but you guys might hear the odd cheap in the background, sort of a little cheap cheap cheap going as they're trying to maybe get their own podcast going. Who knows.
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes these ones, especially gonna be pretty loud, so I'm hoping maybe they'll just snap while we're doing this.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should just put like a towel over their little little enclosure for now or something.
Speaker 2: If it gets real bad, yeah.
Speaker 1: Force them to sleep, you know. Anyways, we have some patrons to thank today, we sure do, so shout out and thank you to Kelly Scriven, Bonnie and Jay Yellowhorn. Thank you very much. You guys signed up on Patreon you get all the good behind the scenes stuff like that. And of course the exclusive episode coming out at the.
Speaker 2: End of the month, right dang, which is very soon. Yeah, who that is How the heck is that a thing?
Speaker 1: Time flies? Honestly, it's absurd.
Speaker 2: I feel like this year is flying by way faster than usual.
Speaker 1: Well, you want to know something wild, This case takes place in twenty sixteen that we're covering today. Okay, that's a decade ago. Yeah, How the is that a decade ago?
Speaker 2: It's so funny any case that you do that's like since I've been alive, I'm like, oh, it's not that old. Yeah, Like you could even do one in the nineties and I'd be like, oh, okay, this is fairly new, but it's not anymore for me.
Speaker 1: It started with COVID. At COVID, things started going so fast, Like twenty sixteen is three years before COVID, and I feel like COVID was like three years ago. So I'm like, oh, it's like five six years ago. It's fairly recent. But no, COVID was twenty nineteen. Here we are in twenty twenty five. We're like, that's a decade ago almost, well not almost for COVID, but you know what I mean, it's approaching right crazy.
Speaker 2: Well, I feel like the beginning of May just started and now here we are at the end.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we need to go golfing and mountain biking more.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've I've been well mountain bike. I've been doing it least weekly, which has been nice.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying, because soon.
Speaker 2: The freaking summer is going to be over. Directly, just settle down where summer's just starting here.
Speaker 1: I'll get down. Okay, I'll settle down. It's all good. Want to get into the case.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, let's get into it here. So Amy Allwine was the kind of person who brought a light into the room, you know, just simply by walking in. Friends described her as warm, endlessly kind, and deeply empathetic. She also wasn't the type to gossip or past judgment. She simply just radiated sincerity. Born Amy Zutz in December of nineteen seventy two, she grew up in a devote Christian household in Minnesota. Her family were fundamentalists and members of the Worldwide Church of God, denomination that followed the Bible's teachings to the letter. That meant no extracurriculars, no friends outside of the church, and definitely no Christmas or Easter, as both of those were considered pagan holidays. But despite the restrictions, Amy thrived within her tight knit community. Her childhood revolved around family, faith and church activities. She cheered for the church basketball team and loved organizing dances. Amy's path eventually crossed with Stephen Allwine in the early nineteen nineties at Ambassador College in Texas, a now defunct liberal arts school associated with her church. They met while working in the IT department together, and their shared love of dancing quickly turned into a deeper connection. Stephen was from Spokane, Washington, a bit of a tech nerd, and Amy was all warmth and light. A balance between the two of them worked, or at least it seemed to. After graduating, Stephen moved to Saint Paul, Minnesota, to be with Amy and her family, and together they got married in August of nineteen ninety six. During that ceremony, Amy's father placed her hand into Stephen's hand and told him, quote, take good care of my little girl. And for a while it looked like Stephen dead.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sweet, hey.
Speaker 1: Together they built a life centered around their faith, and in two thousand and seven, they adopted their son, Joe, just two days after he was born. It was an open adoption, and Amy maintained a respectful, ongoing relationship with Joe's birth mother. She adored being a mom and it showed. Amy and Joe were inseparable, and she never missed a chance to include him in family traditions, like picking out the best strawberries for her famous pie. Amy also turned her lifelong love of animals into a thriving business active dog sports training from obedience to nosework to agility trials. She trained dogs out of a large arena they'd built on their twenty acre property in Cottage Grove. The business was successful, and her Australian shepherd often placed in national competitions as well. In that world, she was well respected not just for her skill, but also for her kindness. Stephen meanwhile worked from home in the basement, holding down two remote it jobs. He also had growing responsibilities within the Church of God, where he'd risen to the level of elder. He and Amy were also both ordained as deacons and deaconess, and Stephen often gave sermons, counseled married couples, and even anointed the sick too outsiders. The all Wines were a model family, faithful, hard working, family oriented Stephen and Amy shared a strong spiritual bond. Their lives were guided by the involvement of the United Church of God, a conservative denomination with strict moral codes and traditional values. Every Saturday was the Sabbath, and they honored it without compromise. They didn't celebrate mainstream holidays like Christmas or Easter, as I mentioned, they chose instead to focus on church annual festivals. Their daily routine and belief system were tightly interwoven with their faith. To people on their congregation, they were the kind of couple you'd want to emulate. They were respectful, affectionate, and committed to service with their adopted son, Joe. They had two happy dogs and shared a love of the service, and they looked like the kind of family you'd just trust to house it while you were off on vacation or lead your church group in pretty much any endeavor.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, honestly, it sounds like literally nothing could go wrong. So I'm just sitting here just waiting for it to get Well.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Yeah, behind closed doors, things generally are a little bit different, and that's exactly the case here. Because cracks were beginning to form, they were forming slowly at first, but of course cracks grow over time.
Speaker 2: If you don't fix those cracks, they're going to burst eventually.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Stephen wasn't quite the devote husband people believed he was, though he maintained his public image as a preacher and counselor, he was living a secret double life. While Amy was traveling for dogcar competitions, something she frequently did as her business grew, Stephen was using her absence to meet women online.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: At first it started with one, and then there were more. And the way he went about it spoke volumes because he didn't stumble into temptation. He sought it out actively and methodically. Dang in fact online one of the sites he used was an infamous one known as Ashley Madison, a platform explicitly marketed towards married people looking to have affairs. In fact, its slogan at the time was even quote life's short. Have an affair.
Speaker 2: Well, that's quite the slogan, right.
Speaker 1: At least they're being honest, I mean points to that, But at the same time, a lot of negative points are what they stand for and what they're doing.
Speaker 2: You know. But I mean it was very like, I don't know, if it still exists, probably, but it was like really well used, so it.
Speaker 1: Was well, there was a big thing at the time where a lot of information got leads. I remember that, yeah, but I don't I have no idea if they're still a thing or not. But I do remember when that happened, and it was.
Speaker 2: Like, oh shit, yeah, it was a big deal.
Speaker 1: Some spouses about to be pissed. Anyways, we digress. Steven signed up for the site, but he didn't just flirt. He actually followed through. One of the women he connected with was woman by the name of Michelle Woodward. It was an open marriage that she was in and they started seeing each other in twenty fifteen. Their first date was unusually personal, where Stephen took her to a doctor's appointment, and after that they're affair grew physical and routine.
Speaker 2: What the shit like he took her, Oh, took her to the doctor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she had a doctor's appointment and he drove her.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I thought that it was a date and he was like taking her to see his doctor. I was like, what the shit for himself? He an appointment. I was so confused, but still that's okay.
Speaker 1: Honest, it was probably like they're chatting online, like we need to meet up. Are you free this day? This day? How about Friday for me? Oh I got a doctor's appointment. I can drive you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably how it went, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he even brought Michelle along on two of his out of town work trips. Really, so yeah, there were a pretty serious side thing going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, during their time together, Stephen portrayed himself as a victim of his marriage. He complained that Amy worked too much and that she spent too much time away from home. But he never once mentioned that he was a religious leader, and she never knew that until actually she googled him and figured it out for herself.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So to those close to him, Stephen kept the charade of being faithful, He kept that up. He was, you know, this religious guy. He was a supportive husband, but he was simply lying to everyone, to his church, to his wife, and honestly even to his kid Joe.
Speaker 2: Well, and even to the I don't know, can you call it a mistress? I guess I don't know. Well, for the person he's having an affair with, he was even lying to her.
Speaker 1: He was definitely and honestly like having an affair. Might not be a rhyme technically and legally, but the lank Stephen would eventually go in order to maintain his reputation to avoid the shame of divorce. Well, that's a different story altogether. Which that's exactly what we're going to get into. You see, for Stephen, his position in the church mattered more than almost anything. Divorce was, of course, heavily frowned upon in their religious circle. It could cost him his standings, his social credibility, his carefully curated image that he had. He wanted out of the marriage, but he didn't want the consequences that came with asking for a divorce, So instead of leaving Amy, he started planning something. In early twenty sixteen, while Amy was busy building her business and planning dog training trips, Stephen was lurking on the darkest corners of the Internet. His outward persona remained spotless, but in private he was going beyond dating sites and exploring the world most people will never see, the dark Web. It was here, through the anonymous browser named tor, that Stephen found what he believed with the was the perfect solution to his problem. Divorce would, of course, be a scandal, but murder, though that could be made to look like a tragic accident. The website he stumbled upon was called Bessa Mafia. It was marketing itself as a global network of professional hit men, a kind of underground Airbnb. But think instead of hiring for a place to stay, you're hiring murder for hire instead.
Speaker 2: You know this guy, he's just a complete piece of garbage. Hey, oh, definitely, and we're just getting started here.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, how we are now this website Bess of Mafia. Their promise was simple, if you pay in bitcoin, they would get the job done, no questions asked. It was the answer Stephen was looking for. However, Bessa Mafia wasn't what it claimed to be. Unknown to Stephen at the time, the entire operation of this Bessa Mafia murder for higher sort of hitman online in the dark web thing. Yeah, it was a scam. No one was getting killed. The site was run by a man using the alias Eura, and this guy had figured out a diabolically clever business model, take money from would be killers, never carry out with the hit, and bank on the fact that no one would go to the police and complain about the money they lost.
Speaker 2: WHOA Okay, right, isn't that kind of jay? I guess?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I mean, I'm not saying it's ethical, but it's hilariously genius kind of.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At first I thought you were going to say it was the police, the police behind this, but okay, no, definitely not the police.
Speaker 1: It was just some guy who was just taking money and not killing anyone. So Stephen of course didn't know what this was, what the website was actually doing. He thought it was a real hit for higher sort of situation. So Stephen, using the alias dog Day God, he began messaging Bessa Mafia in February of twenty sixteen. His first questions were cautious, almost paranoid. He asked how to buy bitcoin without drawing suspicion, worried that a large cash withdrawal, you know, might raise some red flags now. They replied quickly with helpful suggestions. They even offered stories that Stephen could tell if he had anyone question him about the transactions, you know, say that he was buying gaming equipment or investing in some children's online platform or something different. Excuses right, Okay, So over the following weeks, Stephen provided disturbingly specific information about his intended target, which of course was his wife Amy. Online he told Bessa Mafia where she would be, what car she drove, and when she would be alone. He even sent them photos. One of his first plans involved in out of town dog show, Amy was scheduled to attend in Moline, Illinois in March of twenty sixteen. He offered extra bitcoin as well the equivalent of one thousand dollars if the hit could be staged to look like an accident, like a car crash or maybe a robbery gone wrong. And here's part of what he told them quote, she should be staying at the Lakita Inn in Moline Airport. I want her dead. That's thirteen bitcoins. If it can look like an accident, then you can have the rest. Now, for context, a single bitcoin was valued at approximately five hundred to six hundred dollars at the time, so thirteen bitcoin was about six five hundred to seventy eight hundred.
Speaker 2: So is that all he's paying correct for a hit? Oh man, this sort of shit just disturbs me to no end.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: That's someone who is your freaking husband is going to go about doing something like this and at no point backs out like are you freaking kidding me?
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is too like this is a scam, we know that, right, already told you so their take making the money and not actually delivering on the hit. And when that first attempt didn't happen, like the act, she came back from this trip, she wasn't killed or anything. Stephen was actually growing impatient. However, he didn't walk away from the situation. Instead, he doubled down, which makes it even worse. So you're sitting here saying like, oh, how could your husband do that? He lost money, the hit didn't happen, and he's not like backing up and taking a second look at this because this is his second chance, right, Yeah, he's doubling down instead and.
Speaker 2: Still going about trusting these people.
Speaker 1: Then exactly, yeah, Okay, So in subsequent messages, he considered different methods, including using a sniper or staging a home invasion. He kept updating them on Amy's Whereabouts Her Dog Show schedule, and even detailed knowledge of propane tanks and gas cans around their house.
Speaker 2: Okay that he's probably just you know, scattering around.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, gosh. Now, At one point, quote unquote dog Day God wrote this to Best and quote, I feel that I'm at risk of being suspected if I ask too many more questions. I'm at the point that I do not care how this is done. I believe if I go about my regular routine, I won't be a suspect. And this is supposed to be a religious god guy.
Speaker 2: Hmm like wow, well yeah, just like devoted to his family and the community and stuff, and this is what he's doing behind closed.
Speaker 1: Doors, right, He's like, oh, I love my wife in public, and then behind closed doors he obviously just wants or gone mm hm and honestly like even if it could be arranged out of town, like he would be fine with that, But if it couldn't be and their home was going to work, just fine for him, because he's clearly like, here's things you can use around our house.
Speaker 2: This is literally got or a guy that people look up to and want to probably be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's doing all this shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now.
Speaker 1: Stephen made multiple bitcoin payments which would end up totaling over thirteen thousand dollars to Best of Mafia, believing all the while that a hit man would eventually show up and take care of it.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 1: In reality, there was no hit man and they're just draining him for whatever they can give, right mm hm. By April of twenty sixteen, the elaborate charade with Bess of Mafia started to come undone. The website operated by that mysterious era had managed to fool dozens of people across the world into thinking it was a legitimate murder for higher service. What none of them knew was that the site had a critical vulnerability, and someone with skills to exploit it found the way inside. Oh my goodness, that person with cybersecurity researcher Chris Monteiro, a UK based system administrator and hobbyist dark web sleuth. At first, Chris had stumbled upon Bess of Mafia through the public Reddit threads and anonymous posts linking the site. What really peaked his interest was how organized it seemed to be. Unlike most dark Web scams, Bess of Mafia looked polished, a little too polished. Even so, he dug deeper. Chris, along with other anonymous hackers known only as the group quote Judge Judy Love that name, by the way, quietly gained access to the site's back end. What they found was jaw dropping a trove of unencrypted data, thousands of private messages, order logs, bitcoin transactions, and even photos and personal information of real hit targets.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I love this because these people deserve that.
Speaker 1: That they're getting found out like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because these friggin just piece of shit people deserve that.
Speaker 1: Agreed. Now, these hackers decided to do what law enforcement hadn't done yet, and they decided they were going to save some lives, or at least attempt to, because on April twenty fifth, twenty sixteen, a massive data dump of Bessa mafia US records in international communications was quietly posted to an online archive site. The documents canained everything usernames, target photos, payment info, messages between quote unquote clients and the site operators. All of it was now out in the open for public viewing. Okay, so they didn't go right to law enforcement, but they put it into a public place where law enforcement could view it.
Speaker 2: So they didn't realize though, or weren't aware that this was a scam and that these people weren't technically actually in danger. I mean they probably were though still, because the people putting the hit on them could go and use try to use someone else, right, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, and they could probably go through the messages and understand that, Okay, these people like it's consistent that hits are not happening and messages are coming back. Yeah, regardless of it being a scam or not, these are real people trying to get real people killed. Yeah, So that in itself is super important right now, One user among all of the information actually stood out in particular, and that was dog Day God. The messages from dog Day God revealed an obsessive fixation on one woman named Amy Allwine. The level of detail these messages were shocking. Whoever this person was. They not only knew Amy's daily schedule and travel plans, but also had access to her home and was familiar with family and business because the intimate information delivered to Besse of Mafia was too detailed. So by May of twenty sixteen, the FBI had reviewed the data dump and realized this wasn't just internet drama. It was a real threat to real people, and in the particular situation of dog Day God, it was, you know, a threat to someone who had no idea that there were someone's digital target, right, and that person was, of course you know Amy. And on May thirty first, twenty sixteen, thankfully, FBI special agent Asha Silky and a local Cottage Growth Police officer, Detective Terry Raymond, came knocking at the all Wine store.
Speaker 2: Oh poor Amy here, she's just like living her life, like doing all this shit, probably for her family, right thinking. You know, her family's tight knit, and she's about to just get the shock of.
Speaker 1: A lifetime basically now. Unfortunately, though, Amy wasn't home, but her husband, Stephen was. They explained to him that Amy was not in any immediate danger, but emphasized that it was important and urgent that she come to the Cottage Grove Police Department to speak with them in person. They didn't go in full detail at the doorstep and what was going on, but they made it clear that matters were serious and sensitive.
Speaker 2: Oh oh that doesn't seem good.
Speaker 1: Well, Stephen was calm, He was collected and very helpful. In fact, Stephen told them that she'd be back soon and agreed to have her meet with them at the police station later that day. Amy soon arrived at the police station and was shown something that would shake anyone to their core. Someone had spent months and thousands of dollars trying to have her killed. And she was now looking at the digital read crumbs on these papers that were put in front of her, on all the proof of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, here, I thought that could have gone differently though, because I thought Stephen that's his name, right, yes, would have been like freaking out and then tried to take this in his own hands or something. No.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, No, he played it calm, He played it cool. Right now, The FBI told her that a user in the dark web had submitted multiple murder requests targeting her, providing her providing her full name, her address, schedule, photos, even her car making model. It was too specific to be random. Someone close to her was clearly trying to orchestrate this. Naturally, Amy was terrified. She told investigators that she didn't have enemies, she had no idea who would want to harm her, and she was loved in her community, adored by her friends and family, and had no known issues with clients or even competitors. But the part that confused investigators most the person who had ordered the hit claimed Amy was quote stealing clients and had also quote slept with their husband, whoa okay. Amy denied this information outright. She had never had an affair. She was devoted to her marriage. It made no sense now. At the time, the FBI had no reason to suspect Stephen himself but was behind it. He came across as mild mannered, religious and supportive. He was a family man, a victim too technically in certain light if you looked at it. But something was off and they knew it, but they just didn't know what.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he would not seem like a person that would put a hit on their wife exactly now.
Speaker 1: The FBI told the all Wines to tighten their home security, and as a result of what was going on, it was clearly important that they do so. Motion detectors were installed, cameras went up, and garage codes were changed, and they added home security alarms and Amy began carrying a panic alarm button with her as well. No matter what was happening, Amy tried to put on a ray face and carry on with life, you know, going in and doing her work with dog training and attending church, taking care of her family. But the cracks in her calm were slowly beginning to show.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and meanwhile, she's sleeping next to a complete monster.
Speaker 1: This is not all I hey, but she doesn't know that is the thing.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: It had been over two months since the FBI had revealed the Dark Web plot to murder her, and though there were no attempts that she knew of, the idea that someone close to her wanted her dead was enough to consume her every day.
Speaker 2: M hmm. I could only imagine I would just be There would be no like calm within you that all definitely you would be on edge console all the time.
Speaker 1: But then came another blow. On July thirty first, twenty sixteen, Amy received an anonymous email. The subject line read your family is in danger. The sender identified themselves as quote Jane, and what followed was a deeply disturbing email. Ama was being told explicitly that if she didn't take her own life, her loved ones would be next. What the email is cruel, personal and vicious, saying things like quote are you so selfish that you will put your family's life at risk? Quote? I blame you for my life falling apart. I don't know how a fat explsive bleeped word like you got to my husband. Quote here's how you can save your family commit suicide?
Speaker 2: Is this actually from Stephen? This email? Because I feel like I will rage If that's the case, I.
Speaker 1: Will be very transparent on this. Yes, Stephen is behind it all. Definitely.
Speaker 2: He literally sends this kind of an email to his wife correct when she's oh my gosh, this guy just deserves oh suber. Yeah. Like, I'm not even gonna say what he deserves, because holy shit, I cannot even believe this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, The writer went on to describe her son's clothing from the week before, implying that he had eyes in the family. They detailed the location of their homes, gas meter, and their parents' address, her brother's residence. They even went on enlisted methods Amy could use to end her own life.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They warned that if she failed, she'd be labeled as mentally unstable, lose custody of her son, and destroy the family.
Speaker 2: You know who's mentally unstable, This fucking Stephen guy.
Speaker 1: I know. But like this is like, okay, kill yourself. If you try and you actually survive, you're gonna lose custody, you lose your family, So you better be successful when you try and kill yourself. As what they're trying to say.
Speaker 2: You know what better happened is Amy better be okay at the end of this, or else I'm gonna lose my mind.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, Well, we'll get to it, don't worry. The threat in these emails were unmistakable. Kill yourself, or we'll do it for you, slowly, painfully, piece by piece, through the people that you love most, and Amy was of course horrified by this. She immediately forwarded the messages to the special Agent Asha Silky, who had remained in regular contact with her. He confirmed that the email was sent from a disposable account, which was nearly impossible to trace, but despite the disturbing content, he noted something important. This to him seemed likely like a de escalation instead of an escalation, because whoever was behind the original Dark Web hit had now shifted to psychological warfare. They weren't trying to hire someone to kill her anymore. Now they were trying to push Amy into taking matters into her own hands, which basically meant that she had the power over her own life at that point.
Speaker 2: Technically, right, okay, do you have to say, I'm I didn't expect it. I'm glad that she forded this email right away off to like, you know, authorities here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, what else is she to do?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know. I feel like, well, some people could have either just done the request, which would have been horrible, or just kept it themselves and like freaked out. And you know, so I'm glad that she went that route.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am glad too. Now, as terrifying as this was, the FBI believed that the threat was less likely to materialize into actual physical harm. The idea was now mostly manipulation over murder. But still, like you say, regardless, good on her for going to the authorities with it. But no matter what the FBI agent said about it, hey being like a de escalation, it didn't make Amy feel any safer.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I was literally just sitting here thinking that. I'm like, I don't think that would have helped me, no, feel better about my life.
Speaker 1: Her life, of course, dramatically changed. Simple errands like going to the grocery or filled her with dread. Cars parked at the end of the street sent her into spirals of anxiety. In fact, at one point she reported a suspicious blue van near her home, which of course turned out to be harmless. But that wasn't the point. Amy was now in a state of near constant panic.
Speaker 2: Just always on edge.
Speaker 1: Migrains that she once suffered from in her younger years returned with vengeance. Her memory became foggy. Her friends even later described how she started to lose track of conversations or forget key details during her dog training sessions. The always joyful, energetic Amy was slowly retreating into herself.
Speaker 2: Well, she was probably never present, no really fully during those conversations or the dog training, because her mind was always somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Well, and not only is it. At any moment, could she be possibly attacked or someone try to kill her, She could be talking to the person who's trying to have her.
Speaker 2: Killed, Yeah, because she has no idea.
Speaker 1: She's thinking of that too. Are you the person who hired this and is behind this? Or am I going to get killed here in this conversation just or just going to the grocery store, like you have no idea? On edge every moment of every waking day of your life.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure this is gonna come out at some point, but like she absolutely had no idea that it was her husband.
Speaker 1: She had no idea, what the shit.
Speaker 2: I would suspect you instantly, literally instantly, because the details that the person knew and stuff, it just makes sense that it would be her like significant other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: I think both of us would have been like, you bitch, it's you, like we would just know, I.
Speaker 1: Think, well honestly, yeah yeah, I mean, look what we do for a living, right.
Speaker 2: We have no trust or faith in anyone?
Speaker 1: Apparently definitely not now. She did her best to keep up appearances. She told very few people about the threats, not even her parents. In fact, only her sister and her best friend Sharon knew the full extent to what was happening. Even then, she downplayed it as best as she could. Amy didn't want to worry anyone else, but she was quietly unraveling. In an attempt to feel more secure, Amy enrolled in the Cottage Grove Citizens Police Academy, an eight week community program that allowed citizens to learn about police work, and she took it quite seriously.
Speaker 2: Good for her.
Speaker 1: In this she fingerprinted coke cans and practiced firearm handling, and even did a ride right along with a canine officer. It helped a little, but it wasn't enough to erase the feeling that someone, someone she knew, still wanted her dead. Her relationship with the FBI had also grown stronger. Amy frequently emailed or called Special Agent Silky to vent and share concerns or seek advice. She appreciated having someone in her corner, even if the investigation wasn't really moving forward. But in the end, Amy was still alone with that fear the entire time, and unknown to her, the person responsible for it was still at her side, living under the same roof, and still planning it. Because for Stephen this wasn't over.
Speaker 2: He still is just not letting this go. Hey no, oh, man, I am that's shocking.
Speaker 1: Well, his original plan to outsource his wife's murder had failed, and thanks to the fact that Bessemafia was nothing more than the scam is the only reason why that did fail. But Stephen wasn't about to give up, not with his image and his secrets on the line. Right. It was Sunday, November thirteenth, twenty sixteen, and to anyone looking in from the outside, the All Wine House in Cottage Grove, Minnesota, seemed peaceful and even routine. Amy had spent the day at home with her husband, Stephen and their nine year old son Joe. They'd gone to church the day before, same as they always did. Saturday was the Sabbath in line with their beliefs through the Church of God United Church of God. Excuse me. Amy had helped prepare lunch and she was being a devoted cook that she always was. She set some lefts do her pumpkin to simmer, and the slow cooker for dinner. But she wasn't feeling that great. She's a little dizzy and tired, so she decided to go lay down. Stephen, meanwhile had plans. He called Amy's father, Charles Zeuits, to come help install a dog door in their garage. When Charles arrived at around one pm, he was told by Stephen that Amy wasn't feeling well and had gone to lie in the bed. He never saw or spoke to his daughter that day. After installing the door, Charles left, and shortly after Stephen called him once again. This time he asked Charles to come back and pick up their son, Joe. Amy, he said, was feeling worse and he wanted to take her to the hospital without worrying their son. When he pulled up Joe was waiting outside when his grandfather was coming by. Charles took him and Stephen went back inside the house. From this point on, Stephen's version of the events is all we have to go on, but police later found serious discrepancies. Is what he claimed on what happened.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, no, no, no, I'm terrified here.
Speaker 1: According to Stephen, Amy was still groggy when he went to check on her. He claimed she insisted she didn't need to go to the hospital and that she just needed to rest. At around four thirty pm, people began arriving at the property for one of Amy's scheduled dog training classes in the arena out back. Amy, of course, was in no condition to teach, so another instructor stepped in to lead the session. A little while later, around five pm, Stephen said he went into the bedroom and saw Amy on her knees by the side of the bed. He assumed she was praying, so he didn't want to bother her. Instead, he left the house. He went to pick up Joe from his in laws, and on the way back they stopped at a restaurant called Culvers, was a tradition for them together. They had grilled cheese, and chicken tenders. Stephen made sure he had the receipts.
Speaker 2: Oh, but also that meal sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: Agreed. At approximately seven pm, Stephen and Joe arrived back home. Joe ran ahead into the house, while Steven stayed behind to unpack the car. Moments later, Joe returned and asked a chilling question, why is mommy lying on the floor?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Okay, so this literal piece of shit let his son go find the mom Yeah, oh my gosh, I can't. I can't even. I just okay, I'm like about to just stroll on the towel here, because that is some serious bullshit right there.
Speaker 1: I know, trust me, I know, okay. Stephen then went to check there in the master bedroom, Amy was lying on her back next to the bed. There was a pool of blood around her head. A nine millimeter handgun lay next to her left elbow, and a single shell casing was nearby. Stephen called nine one one and said, I think my wife shot herself. There's blood all over. His voice was flat, calm, unnaturally so, according to later analysis, he didn't say Amy's name, he didn't ask for help, he didn't check if she was even breathing until prompted by the dispatcher. Police and emergency responders arrived within minutes. Steven and Joe were waiting for them in the garage, and his officers made their way inside. What they found wasn't just tragic, it was suspicious.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I okay. So I envisioned that the son would just go in the room and see, like the mom dead. But I but there was also like a terrible scene that he was going into correct, gruesome, Oh my goodness. I am just irate right now. I cannot believe that that guy is a father.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Holy heck.
Speaker 1: Now for context, I was going to do a two parter and leave it right here. But do you want to continue for two parts and just make it one?
Speaker 2: Sure? I don't know, but I deserve to just.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree, don't get me wrong, but yeah, I was thinking of separating into two. We're only doing one, but that's where I was going to separate.
Speaker 2: Oh ye. People would have been pissed at you, for sure.
Speaker 1: Larissa would have like scalded me on social media on so Amy was of course laying on the floor. She was deceased, her body neatly positioned beside the bed. She was still wearing her clothes from earlier that day, but her pants were slightly unbuttoned and her red sweater had been pushed up just enough to expose her stomach a bit. For a scene that was supposed to be a suicide, something felt wrong. Sergeant Gwen Martin, one of the responding officers, had known Amy. She'd been her instructor at the Citizen's Police Academy, and seeing her lifeless body on the floor overwhelmed her, and she burst into tears and had to step outside to regain her composure. While on the squad car, she pulled up the household's call history. That's when she saw the earlier FBI visits and the death threats from the dark web. She called Detective Sergeant Randy McCallister, a lead on major investigations. He was confused. They usually don't get called in for suicides, but when Gwen handed the phone to her partner and he heard the name Amy Alwine, Yeah, everything changed. McAllister immediately got dressed and headed to the scene. He was already familiar with Amy's case. It had been months since the FBI warned her and Stephen about the discovery of the dark Web plot. And as McCallister walked into the home, something caught his attention right away. The smell of pumpkins still cooking in the crock pot. Not something you generally expect from someone who's planning to take.
Speaker 2: Their life, right, Yes, no, shit, I didn't even think of that.
Speaker 1: And then he saw the scene and he knew in his gut that Amy hadn't died by her own hand. Amy was found lying flat on her back in the bedroom with a pool of blood under her head and a nine millimeter handgun resting near her left elbow, but the details didn't add up. Amy was right handed, yet the gun was on her left side. The bullet had entered through her right ear, which made it almost impossible for her to have shot herself in that position. More importantly, testing showed there was no gunshot residue on Amy's hands.
Speaker 2: This Stephen guy is such an idiot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so if she had tried to pull the trigger, there would have been at least a trace of evidence left on her hands from gun residue. However, there was none. Then came some luminol tests with the investigation investigators sprayed the floor near the bedroom and found unmistakable evidence that someone had tried to clean up a significant amount of blood. In fact, there were even blood footprints leading from the bedroom to the hallway, the bathroom, and the laundry room.
Speaker 2: See she had been okay, wow, this is just too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now these tracks matched with socked feet.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, and the same size that Stephen is because he's a piece of shit.
Speaker 1: Surprise, surprise. We'll get to it though, don't worry. So these weren't just major stains of blood either. The hallway floor had a glossy film on it, a clear indication that had been wiped down vigorously, in stark contrast with the rest of the house, which was lived in and messy with dog hair and every day clutter don't get me wrong, not filthy, just you know, every day living, rather than freshly polished clean floors.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Amy's body had also clearly been moved. While she was found lying in her back, blood from her nose and mouth had run down the side of her face, suggesting at some point she had been on her side and then repositioned. Investigators. They also noticed that her pants were un buttoned and her shirt slightly pulled up details that didn't appear consistent with a struggle, but almost seemed like there were an intentional choice, as if someone was trying to add a little bit of an emotional chaos to the scene, something that might support the idea of suicide.
Speaker 2: Okay, that makes no sense, but okay.
Speaker 1: I don't really understand it either, But like maybe it's like she's sitting here, like hunched over or slowly slugging herself off the bed in distress, something like that, like you know, just adding a little bit of like touches to make it a little more like, I don't know, emotional turmoil going on in her and she's not really caring for herself.
Speaker 2: I guess maybe I see, I see, Okay.
Speaker 1: But then there was the question of surveillance. After the dark Web threats earlier that year, the all Wines had installed motion activated cameras around the home, but there were no cameras covering the back patio, the one place with constant dog activity that they chose not to monitor. If someone were to come and go from that door, it would not have been recorded, and of course there were no recordings of anyone else, so they assumed that's the door. Right. Yeah, the scene didn't just look suspicious, it looked stage. The blood, the weapon placement, the movements, the cleanliness, and one specific part of the home. It all pointed to someone trying to cover their tracks. And as forensic investigation continued, a major breakthrough came from toxicology reports. The results showed something deeply unsettling. Amy Allwine had an incredibly high amount of scopolamine in her system. Hopefully I pronounced that right, And she had about forty times the standard therapeutic dose. Now. Scopolamine is a drug usually prescribed in very small amounts to treat motion sickness or nausea following surgery, but in larger doses it has a different reputation entirely. It's sometimes called devil's breath because of its extreme side effects, which our disorientation, hallucination, blurred vision, drowsiness, and even memory loss. It can render someone so mentally impaired that they can't think clearly or fight back. It makes a person basically completely vulnerable and incredibly easy to control.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Amy had never been prescribed scopolamine. There was no medical reason for it to be in her system, and certainly not at that level. This clearly was not accidental. Someone had given it to her. The only question now was who and when. Now the timeline starts to come together through digital breadcrumbs, investigators looked at Amy's phone and saw that shortly after lunch November thirteenth, the day that she died, she had tried to look up why she felt so awful. At one forty eight pm, she visited a Wikipedia site about vertigo. A minute later, she attempted to type into bing, but the text came out garbled. She typed quote du U space y end quote, and then also quote e space y E space e end quote, and later quote diy space vw space hh end quote, all in caplocks.
Speaker 2: Oh my heart just goes out to her so much right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these weren't meaningful searches. They were fragmented, confused, and though she was she was trying to like figure something out, but she could not think straight. Like I've been. I don't want to say I know what she was going through, but just for context, I've been so drunk before where I could barely function and I'm like trying to text you like stag party or something. Right, It's been a couple times in my life, not gonna lie, not proud of those moments. But I've tried to like text you or whatever, call you to come pick me up, and it that's I can't think straight, And that's what it's like. And she was even beyond that. And I can't imagine what she was feeling in those moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, she's trying to help herself and she just she can't like why, like to at first google why am I not feeling good or whatever? Right, and trying to figure out a way to be better or get better. Yeah, and then she's just spiraling downwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's just trying to understand what's happening to her.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what's happening to you is that your husband sucks big time and he is just the worst human being I feel like I've ever encountered.
Speaker 1: I agreed. Now, according to him, she'd just gone to lie down in the bedroom after lunch. But based on everything investigators were seeing, she had been poisoned with a powerful drug and then she was at her most disoriented point and vulnerable that's when she was shot.
Speaker 2: And I bet you she didn't even know, probably not like it wouldn't have. She was so drugged up that she it wouldn't have all clicked even for her that oh my gosh, it was him this whole time.
Speaker 1: No, she probably wouldn't have known the presence of the skulp mean rewrote the entire story. This wasn't a woman overwhelmed by stress or fear taking her own life in desperation. It was clearly made to seem like it was, but this was a planned, methodical poisoning to sign, to design sorry, to incapacitate her, the kind of planning that pointed to someone very close, someone who knew exactly what she was doing, And all signs, every single last one of them, kept circling back to Stephen Allwine. To begin with, he was the last person to see Amy alive. He'd also told police that he was working from home in the basement office on the day that she died, But when investigators contacted both of employers, both Optimon and United Health Group, they confirmed that Stephen hadn't logged into their systems at all that afternoon. So if he wasn't working, then what exactly was he doing? Then came the analysis from the family home surveillance system. The cameras which were set up around the property showed no signs of anyone entering or leaving the house in the time of the timeframe when Amy was believed to have died. There's no mass intruder, no suspicious vehicle, nothing. Whoever killed Amy was clearly already inside the house. Stephen said that around five pm he went to check on Amy and saw her kneeling at the side of the bed, assuming she was praying. A short time later, he left to pick up his son Joe from Amy's parents' house, stopped for gas and grabbed dinner at Culver's, their usual little Sunday tradition, and of course kept the receipts very carefully, almost too carefully.
Speaker 2: Imagine going out for dinner with your son just and knowing what is about to happen, like when you get home. I know, Oh my goodness, he is such a monster.
Speaker 1: He then returned home at seven pm. Let Joe run ahead into the house and discover, Yeah, the scene.
Speaker 2: Discover his mummy. Yeah, the way that she was like that.
Speaker 1: That alone horrified everyone. That Joe was the one sent in to discover that. That Stephen let his young son purposefully see this traumatic scene is horrifying enough, and everyone was baffled to think that you have investigators that are coming to this realization that he did that on purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uncomprehendible. Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah. From a distance, it seemed like Stephen had timed everything almost perfectly, a series of steps designed to create an alibi, maintain normalcy. But there were too many things that just didn't add up. Lumina. All testing in the house revealed a story the naked eye couldn't see because, as I mentioned, in the hallway outside the bedroom, there's large amounts of blood that was discovered. It had been cleaned up, not just white, but aggressively scrubbed. Someone had tracked bloody footprints in the hallway, bathroom, laundry room. Investigators could even follow a path. In fact, they realized Amy hadn't even died in bed, She had died in the hallway and her body had been moved. The scene was clearly staged. And then there was more inconsistency, one more specific one. Stephen had claimed not to know anything about the Dark Web until FBI showed up earlier that year and told him that, hey, there's a hit out right mm hm. But Detective discovered apps on his phone designed specifically for accessing it to be specific, Orbot and or Fox, which allowed users to get onto the browser tour needed to view these hidden sits in the wet dark web. Not something you just accidentally download, right.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I would. I have no idea anything about the dark web, to be honest, So.
Speaker 1: I know what it is and I don't want to fuck with it, That's all I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, I didn't even know you needed specific app, so he is clearly well versed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The timeline started to take shape in February of that year, right when dog Day God had started planning Amy's murder through Bessa Mafia, Stephen's phone had pinged these same bitcoin exchange sites that the user had referenced in his messages. He looked up how to convert bitcoin, how to use tail os, and even how to install privacy focused operating systems that could mask his activity, all of these searches happening within minutes of the same topics being discussed in Bessa Mafia's messages. Then the smoking gun, the big break that finally brought everything together. It didn't come from a dramatic search or a late night confession. It came from something so mundane it almost felt like a gift to investigators, an automatic iPhone backup. Back in August of twenty sixteen, just a few months before Amy's murder, Stephen had backed up his iPhone to his iTunes account. What he didn't realize at the time was that this backup preserved even the content that was since deleted, including a single note that investigators would later describe as the final undeniable link to the murder of his wife. That note contained a string of thirty four letters in numbers meaningless to most people, but instantly recognizable to anyone familiar with cryptocurrency. It was a Bitcoin wallet address, and just twenty three seconds after that note was created, the exact same address was sent in a message from dog Day God to Bess Mafia to confirm payment. They had a direct link. His wallet address linked to the hit payment address.
Speaker 2: Oh and I bet everyone was just shocked as shit.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, that was the moment it all connected. The man who had spent months trying to hire a hit man to kill his wife using the most secretive corners of the Internet was in fact her husband, Stephen Alwine and the digital paper trail that he thought he had buried had been sitting quietly in the cloud the whole time, just waiting to be found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this guy really was not near as smart as he seemed to think he was.
Speaker 1: No, he thought he was pretty, but he was Yeah, not at all. So Steven had also conveniently made searches for Amy's life insurance policy.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this it just keeps getting.
Speaker 1: Worse, it does. It was a total payout of seven hundred thousand dollars. He was, of course the sole beneficiary, and it wasn't hard to figure out the motive from there.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 1: So, as it turns out, Stephen fabricated a lie about being scammed by someone named Mark over the bitcoin purchases on Bes of Mafia. So Stephen had actually reported this to the Cottage Grove police in March of twenty sixteen, fabricating a lie about the missing money, Okay, trying to cover his trail his back some month Yeah right, So he reported that loss right around the time that dog Day was actually transferring bitcoin to Best of Mafia, and police couldn't find any emails with the supposed Mark. There was no trace of this transaction and when they checked the email address that Mark had supposedly used. It led right back to a disposable email count that Stephen himself had accessed. So still, it didn't stop there. Investigators called Stephen's browser history from his laptop on February sixteenth, just after one of the darkest messages from dog Day God had been sent, the one where he finalized a plan for Amy's murder to look like a car accident. Stephen has used his computer to search for the very dog training event in Moloine, Illinois that was listed in the hit request. In fact, he even used Google Maps to calculate the drive time.
Speaker 2: Oh Man.
Speaker 1: The evidence was so strong it made police go back to what they had already seen and to see if Steven's name or actions could fit the bill on anything else in the crime scene. In fact, those bloody footprints in the hallway the sock bloody footprints. Investigators checked Stephen sock's. They found a match. They retested his hands, and gunshot residue was found on the right hand, not enough to conclusively say he fired the weapon, but enough to say he'd been very close when it happened. They reanalyzed the nine one one call and they heard something strange in the background missed the chaos. Stephen's young son Joe can be heard asking quote, are you going to remarry? And Stephen responded oddly, quote I don't know, Bud.
Speaker 2: What the heck? That is really weird. Well.
Speaker 1: Forensic psychologists later point to this being a situation where not only did it suggest that he heard his dad, like Joe heard Stephen talk before potentially about remarrying, it also hints that Stephen had already begun laying the groundwork for life after Amy.
Speaker 2: What okay?
Speaker 1: If Joe is asking are you going to remarry? That suggests that the conversation of remarrying in life after his month has already happened. Because remember, this isn't a conversation you know, a day or two later, when the ca it has time to ste This is the nine to one. This has been minutes.
Speaker 2: That is, that doesn't make sense. That's mind blowing to me.
Speaker 1: So what began as a complex anonymous murder for higher scheme on the dark web that had led it all led back to one man, one phone, one catastrophic betrayal, and now police had plenty enough to arrest him. You don't say so, On January twentieth, twenty seventeen, Stephen Alwaine dropped his son off at school and began what probably felt like just another quiet drive back to his in law's home. He had actually been staying there since Amy's death, because they welcomed him in with compassion about the whole event, you know, Yeah, the very people that he had taken everything.
Speaker 2: From that's going to later make them just sick.
Speaker 1: Oh probably. But as he made his way home that morning, police were waiting. During a planned routine traffic stop, officers placed Stephen under arrest for second degree murder of his wife, Amy Halwine. The arrest marked the beginning of the final chapter in a case that had taken nearly a year to unravel. Stephen, ever, the calm and calculated individual, didn't make a scene, but what came next was just as strange as everything that had led up to this moment. Bail was set for five hundred thousand dollars half a million dollars, and Stephen paid it almost immediately, and he bailed himself out of jail.
Speaker 2: With his insurance money, most likely oh Man.
Speaker 1: He returned to live to the same address on Cottage Grove at same home where Amy had been murdered, the same place where he staged the suicide, the same place where he had deliberately sent his nine year old son in first to find her body, knowing what would happen. Unsurprisingly, the court imposed conditions. Stephen had to wear a GPS ankle monitor and he was only allowed to supervise visits with his son Joe. But those restrictions didn't seem to bother him, because two weeks later he was rested once again, this time for violating terms of his release by trying to contact Joe directly.
Speaker 2: The he just doesn't give a shit, this guy, No.
Speaker 1: He really. The judge raised his bail to six hundred thousand dollars, and again Stephen paid it, but after grand jury reviewed the full scope of the evidence, the charge was upgraded. On March twenty fourth, twenty seventeen, Stephen was formally charged with first degree premeditated murder. His new bail was set for one million dollars, and this time he couldn't make the payment, so Stephen was to remain in custody to await the trial.
Speaker 2: Okay, when you had said second degree, at first, I was like, what the yeah?
Speaker 1: His trial began on January eighth. His trial began in January of twenty eighteen. It was expected to be complex, full of digital forensics and expert testimonies, and it was, but in the end, the story came down to something brutally simple. A man who wanted his wife dead and who went to extraordinary lengths to make it happen was the exact individual sitting in the courtroom. Prosecutors argued that Stephen had carefully poisoned Amy with scopolamine around lunchtime on November thirteenth, when she started feeling dizzy and disoriented. He called her father, asking him to come pick up Joe. That got his son out of the house, and then once they were alone, Stephen waited for the drugs to take its full effect. Amy could barely stand her words were slurred. He then shot her in the head in the hallway, then drug her body into the bedroom and cleaned up the scene. He pulled her pants down, slightly, left the gun by her side, arranged her body all in an attempt to try and make it look like she had taken her own life, then calmly picked up Joe from his in law's house took him out to dinner and brought him home to find her. It was cold, meticulous, and it fit perfectly with everything they now knew about Stephen and his life. The man who stood in front of the jury was no longer the church leader and a loving husband. He was a manipulator, a liar, and a serial adulter who had made multiple affairs. When asked why he hadn't just left his wife, the prosecution gave the answer Stephen never would. Divorce was against his religion. But I guess murder and adultery though, aren't we aren't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm like, is all this other stuff not? Or he just thought he would be able to get away with it.
Speaker 1: I guess I think it's public view if he can do these things and get away with it without people knowing. He did, But he couldn't do that as a divorce without people knowing, right, So it came down to what he can do behind the scenes and maintain the facade of the perfect man that Stephen thinks he is.
Speaker 2: But he's also a complete idiot. Yeah, because I'm sorry, but you didn't do any of this stuff. Well, no, you're not going to get away. You didn't get away with it.
Speaker 1: Exactly if you're going online to say, can you kill my spouse for me? First red flag that you're doing something dumb and stupid, just saying mm hmm. Now. Amy's family filled the courtroom. They sat through testimonies about digital currency, ENCRYPTID software, fake hit man, websites, and a man they had once considered family. They heard how Stephen had tried to cover his tracks, how he failed, and how through pure luck that an iPhone backup had preserved the evidence needed to convict him in court. After eight days of testimony, the jury took six hours to deliver the verdict of guilty. Stephen Allwine was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Amy Allwine's murder, planned through the shadows of the dark web, has become one of the most infamous modern examples on how online criminal tools are revolving and how the real consequences can actually be in the real world. For law enforcement, the all Wine case prompted a hard look at how serious dark web threats are treated. In the months before Amy's death, the FBI knew something and someone like something was going on, and someone was trying to get to and trying to have her killed, but the limitations of technology, jurisdiction, and anonymity tied their hands. Amy was told she was being targeted, yet nothing could be done to protect her from the men sleeping beside her every night. Her murder proved that the next person placing an order on a hitman site might not actually be scammed, they might follow through with it. In the cybercrime world, the fallout was just as dramatic. Ethical hackers like Chris Monteiro, who had been sounding the alarm about Bess Mafia long before the murder, were both validated and frustrated. His efforts to expose the scam site had uncovered real danger, but warning signs had gone largely unheard. After Amy's murder and Stephen's arrest, Chris Monteiro continued monitoring the dark web hitman sites, collecting and forwarding information on more than two hundred murdered for higher plots to authorities, but still the response was sluggish. As for most recent reporting, only a hand of full of these ones and plots have actually resulted in actual arrests or investigations. Eura, the name of the individual behind Besa Mafia, faded into the background but never really disappeared. After Bessa Mafia collapsed, he rebranded under different names like Crime Bay and Nosa Nostra. Sorry, Costa Nostra. He kept continuing to have these run and be this hitman scam for profit sort of situation. Now while his services were fake, the people placing those orders were real and very dangerous. In time, Ura even actually began cooperating with journalists, occasionally passing along information that led to the prevention of further crimes, But the ethics of that collaboration and Eury's own motives remain a big point of debate. Amy's legacy is one of tragedy, but it's also one of warning. She was not someone living a high risk lifestyle or tangled in criminal activity. She was a mother, a business owner, a church volunteer, someone who lived her life in kindness and in faith. Her murders showed that violence doesn't always come from strangers, and that even the darkest crimes can unfold behind well maintained facades. Stephen Allline is now serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole. He never confessed. In fact, he still maintains his innocence to this day, even as the evidence against him leaves absolutely zero room for doubt.
Speaker 2: So that just shows that he is no remorse really, hey, or I guess he's just continuing with this frickin facade that he is a good guy.
Speaker 1: He's trying to still maintain who he is. And I mean, even in the face of like absolute no room for doubt, you did this thing. It's like, no, not me, I am perfect little Stephen.
Speaker 2: And no regard for his son either, no, because now, like, where the hell is his son? I mean, I'm sure someone is looking after him, but there would have been a time there where he had nobody and he lost both his parents.
Speaker 1: He lose both his parents, but Joe is actually growing up with Amy's family, so he is surrounded by love like stability, and those who knew and still remembered her. Right, Okay, they remember her compassion, her unmistakable joy and those sort of things are brought into his life. That's good, But they also do remain remember things like the dog training, right as well, because there is that community that she helped build, and he continues to live on with many of them honoring her name at events and gatherings too.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, good, so her life.
Speaker 1: And the way it was taken continues to be studied, mourned, and remembered. And that is a story of amy online.
Speaker 2: Oh i'm I didn't expect that ending. No, I'm not gonna lie. I thought that she would live.
Speaker 1: Well, I was hoping so, but no, the.
Speaker 2: Fact that she didn't is just bullshit.
Speaker 1: Also, he can just maintain the profile of the perfect churchgoer who wants to sleep around with people, and hey, get a life insurance pay it while he's at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't understand, Like, who is this guy think he is? Obviously he is just he never was good really.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. He was a piece of shit from the start, one hundred percent. Because he knew going into this relationship that you know what, with your religion, with what religion she had, like they adopted a son together. He knew what he was building and then he had no care in the world to just throw it aside, not even throw it aside in the terms of having the balls to divorce, having the balls to face that it's not a life he actually wanted. He made a mistake. Instead, he made other people suffer for the mistake. He then later learned that he made.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, did you say how much time he got in jail? And I just like rage, like I didn't hear that a life term, Okay, yeah, I mean which is good? Like, oh man, I don't know. Sometimes I'm okay, life is good, but it's like still sometimes I think it's just like not good enough, you know, when Amy literally just doesn't isn't alive anymore. So yeah, anyway, that is a whole nother story or podcast.
Speaker 1: Right, definitely, Oh, I feel like sneeze coming on. Oh wait, no, it's good, it's gone. That was like the worst feeling in the world because I love sneezes and I had to force it to leave because I've got the micd on me.
Speaker 2: So well that sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does suck.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, now I guess you can continue on with your day being sick.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Hopefully I didn't sound too terrible in today's episode. I know it got a little bit if he had a couple of points I stopped to blow my nose or get a good coffin things like that, but hopefully it wasn't noticeable.
Speaker 2: Hopefully you heard some cute little chickies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been making some noise, so because.
Speaker 2: They're freaking adorable. We need to actually post them in patreons some photos we should.
Speaker 1: That'll be up to you. You do it. You're all about taking the photos of them.
Speaker 2: So I did a whole damn reel of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was for you, your own personal social.
Speaker 2: I know I'm a little extra apparently with He's chickens.
Speaker 1: Yeah you are. But anyways, thank you for being here. Hopefully enjoyed today's episode. Don't forget to like subscribe all those things. I know this isn't YouTube, but you can do those things on some of the platforms that you're listening on right now. You can also do things like join our Patreon check out the description for things like our website social media. You can even give us a review where an indie podcast host produced and read research all on our own. Are a little lonesome here in your tiny home, so your support goes a long way with us. So thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure does. Thank you. And I just have to say, don't hire a murderer.
Speaker 1: Don't hire a murder Words of wisdom for the Day.
Speaker 2: From Nicole Cole. Yeah, like that is just I wish shit like that didn't exists.
Speaker 1: That just says, don't hire a murderer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Period, No, it'll be like Nicole.
Speaker 2: Quote from Nicole my quote of the day. Oh my god, don't.
Speaker 1: Hire a murderer.
Speaker 2: Anyway, until next time, stay wicked,