Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden line with Skip Rickard's.
Speaker 2: Crazy gas can trim just watch him as well. Many things to seep baas great gass back again, not a sun glass gas the sun beamon down a dreams.
Speaker 3: Starting treating.
Speaker 4: Alright, folks, good morning, good Saturday morning. On uh what let's say a fault. We're gonna call it a fall day. Where we are the calendar says it's fall, or at least it's close enough to it to call it that. I know, you go outside and it's where did these temperatures come from? Well, welcome to Houston, Texas, Welcome to Southeast Texas, Welcome to most of the state. In fact, we have what we call false fall. Get a little breeze through here, had one the other day. Everybody thinks, yes at last, and then summer comes back for low wall. That's just part of the deal. But fall is coming. And one thing that is important to remember is that if you want to have a successful fall planting season, you got to look at the calendar and not the temperature at the moment and do what you got to do when it's time to do it. For example, now is an excellent time to plant things like marigoles for a beautiful fall season. They'll last all the way up into the first frost and that'll turn them to toast and then you pull them out and put in your cool season plants. That is a strategy and they work really, really well. I was checking out Jorges Hidden Gardens recently and oh my gosh, he has got some beautiful, beautiful miracles. The you know, the deep orange ones, the kind of in between orange and yellow and the full yellow ones and marigoles in the summer, or spidermight magnets. But when we hit fall like this spidermight populations due to the day length changes and temperatures and things, they're starting to go down and they sort of disappear and they're not a big deal in the fall. So your miragles glow, they will way out glow your mums that you put out, and we know falls for mums and asters, that's an awesome time. Don't forget miracles. That's a good quick instant color in the landscape that, like I said, I'll carry you all the way to fall. Yeah, or hey, for those of you haven't been out there. They're on Elizabeth Street in Alvin, Texas, and just go check it out. They they're easy to get to, and he's always got cool things. He's huge trees. I was looking at some of his magnolias are just giants of the magnolias, so gorgeous, absolutely beautiful, beautiful. And they have a lot of other trees that right now, you've just gotten some more peaches, the peaches that grow down south. So you know, fruit trees have a certain thing called chilling requirement. And if you were to take a peach that grows let's say up in Huntsville, Texas or Dallas or whatever, and try to plant them down here, they wouldn't get enough winter winter chill. It's a forty degree hours in that range. But Ray's got the ones that grow down south, And so go by there and check it out. Fall is an excellent time to plant a container grown fruit tree, like a peach, for example. He's got plenty of those as well. And while you're by there, check out some of his other things that. Hey, he's got those tree stabilizers to hold your tree in place when you plant any kind of a new tree, and they work so so well. You hear me talk about those all the time here on garden line. I was out in my garden a harvesting okra again yesterday. I think I've told you before I do okra breeding, okra crossing, and I'm always I think it's fun. I enjoyed doing a little bit of plant breeding, because when you create something new, it's something that didn't exist before that you created. Now, you can't just cross new things and then take the seeds out and go here. I'm going to name all these seeds a different variety name. It takes a while to develop something worth keeping and that stable. In other words, when you get somebody seeds, what they plant ends up producing the kind of flowers or fruit that you were hoping that they would. But anyway, I was out doing some of that and just noticing my okra has a bunch of aphids on it, and they were mostly all cast skins. You know, aphids shed their skin like a snake does, and so you see these little dried aphid skins all over, and I was looking for a living aphids and there were very very few, and I saw why I had some surfit fly larva on there. There was a crypt beetle, a skimness crypt type. It's a little tiny type of lady beetle. Their larva were on there, and then there were some regular lady beadle larvae and they were just munching out. They just cleaning up my aphed problem for me, and that's always good. You know, sometimes you're wondering if the cavalry is going to ride in to rescue the fort before before it goes under, and boy, they sure did this time for me. Keep that in mind when you're out there in the gardens, that it's not just you versus the pests. It's not just you versus the pests. That is an important lesson to learn. I love getting out and watching that. Sometimes I'll see a few pests on a plant and I'm just kind of well, I'm not going to hurry up and spray. I just want to watch and see what's going on. You learn a lot that way. You know, at some point you got to step in if it's going to become a big problem, got to take care of things. But in the meantime, take advantage of that opportunity to learn. That's all part of you know, organic gardening and whether you know, if you are not an organic gardener, maybe you just it doesn't matter you use organic, you use other things, but you're not just organic. At least consider the principles of organic gardening because that is very very important. Those principles. Whether you garden using synthetics or not, those principles of organic gardening are still things you should follow. Like I just talked about, why get out there with a spray and kill the lady beetle larva, the skimness or cryptbet larvae a type of lady beetle the what do I else say? Oh, the surfit flies were on there, and there's also lace wings that will be on there too. Why kill those when they're doing work for you? Whether you use an organic like soap that will kill them or a synthetic, why do that? Why not work? Learn how nature works, and work with nature as best you can. That's what microlife fertilizer is all about. Microlife has, in every way, shape and form, designed their products to build quality soil loaded with microbes, microbes that are good ones. You know, not every bacteria is bad. Many types of bacteria are good. They're good for the roots, are good for the soil. You know, there are bacteria that actually produce any biotics that help protect the plant roots. There really are, absolutely there are, and it's really cool stuff. So you get something like micro grow liquid, for example, that comes in a quart, comes in a gallon jug, kind of a maroon label, you know. Microlife labels all their stuff by color, and it's kind of the maroon label one, So naturally I'm drawn to that one. But seriously though, I mean, it's not a fungicide. It's not like a fungicide to kill fungus. What it is it has eight extremely dominating beneficial microbes, the Streptomyces, the Trachiderma, the Bacillus, all of those good guys that are out there helping fight against problem disease microbes but also colonizing those surfaces of the plant. So it's just a hostile environment for them to try to move into. It's kind of like being a rabbit and moving into a penful the coyotes. It's not going to end well, right, So when of course they're the good guy and bad guy are kind of turned around, you get the idea of what I'm talking about. Micro Grow Liquid a from Microlife. You can go to Microlife Fertilizer dot com and find out more. Well, it's all every time for me to take a break. Hey, hang around, I'm going to be right back at a time. Lard line. Glad you are joining us today. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we are here to answer your gardening questions. The way I like to put it is, we're here to help you have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful landscape. And gardening is a fun hobby. And if you're not having fun, let's talk. We got to fix that because this is not something that we fret about and comment that we have brown thumbs. You don't have a brown thumb. If anything, you got an uninformed thumb. And that's why we're here to inform your thumb. It just turns greener and greener as you inform it. I think that's kind of one way to look at it.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: I do enjoy visiting with you. And since this is a calling show, wouldn't it be helpful if I gave you a number to call and didn't do that the first segment? So here we go. Write this down, stick it on the refrigerator wherever your phone is, or however you want to go about it. Seven one three two one two k t R H seven one three two one two K T R H. You can give us call from wherever you are. We get calls sometimes from pretty far away folks that listen to the show, and we're glad to take the time to help you find the best way to success. Maybe it's a plant or a bug or a disease that needs to be identified and some sort of control suggested. Maybe it is a plant or disease, excuse me, a plant that you need suggestions for what to put in area, like do I what will grow in the shady kind of area on the north side of the house, you know, and so on. We'll help you fix that. We'll give you some ideas to do that kind of thing, you know. Or maybe it's just other kinds of general advice. What's wrong with my lawn and what's wrong with my trees? The two biggest teas of the three t's the third ones tomatoes, by the way, that make the phone ring here on Garden Line and at your county Agro Life Extension office too, in all two hundred and fifty four counties here in Texas. We I've been doing this for thirty five years, and I'm telling you, uh, number one, I can pretty much tell you what calls are going to be during each season, because I've been a lot of seasons, many I have been many moons answering gardening questions. But at the same time there's always new questions. I had some last week. It's like, Yeah, I had never been asked that before. That's a good question. And then people are always coming up with new plants. You know, it seems like we've discovered every plant there is now. No, no, no, there's a whole bunch more we have yet to experience. So anyway, give us calls seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four, I wanted to mention plants for all seasons. Up on Tomball Parkway Highway to forty nine, just north of Luetta, right there on the side of the road. That has been a garden center for that general community since nineteen seventy three. Now they have people that travel aways to get there because it's that kind of garden center. You're going to find everything you need right now. It's fall season, so stock up, find the things you want to do to make your landscape glow this fall, and they've got it all of there. They also have excellent advice. They have excellent service and they can point you to the product that you need that fixes the problem. It's not like some of these stores you never hear about on garden Line that are national chains where they've got a wall full of stuff and nobody in the store that knows what they're talking about when it comes to which product for even knows which pest or weed you're bringing in. Not Appliants for All Seasons. You get the service that you need accurately, and they are just experts at that. Plants for All Seasons dot com is the website get your green on there at Plants for All Seasons. I'm going to head out now to Brian and we're gonna excuse me to Cyprus and talk to Brian. Hello, Brian, Good, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Good morning, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 7: I have a question.
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, my wife and I have a Bradford pear tree and it is a beautiful tree. And my long guy came by yesterday and I know you're not supposed to cut the trees at a certain time of the year, and the gentleman had removed some of the branches, the low line, the low branches and my wife is thinking that it's going to cause a tree to go in shock because of the fact that it was not dormant when the tree limbs were cut, and with that going to be the case with this.
Speaker 4: Tree shot, I wouldn't know. I wouldn't I wouldn't use the term shock for it. What will happen is, since it's still warm, that tree will has buds around that cut that are going to now push out and start to grow. That's just what trees do in response to pruning. And then when a cold comes you may get cold damage to that succulent new growth coming out. But if that happens, you just print out the new growth because you remove that they remove the limbs, so you don't need little sprouts all over the place in that same spot in winter. Just remove any sprouts that formed there around those cuts. It's not that not the right time to prune. They should they should know better than that. But it's not the end of the world on the tree. It's not going to go into any kind of a shock or anything.
Speaker 9: So it's not going to kill it.
Speaker 8: Since it was like one hundred frees yesterday, Okay, good deal, It'll be fine.
Speaker 4: People. People Perune, twelve months out of the year.
Speaker 6: Okay, cool, all right, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: All right, Brian, thanks a lot. I appreciate that.
Speaker 10: Thank care.
Speaker 4: You're you bet you're listening to Guardline. I'm your host, Brick. If you'd like to give us a call and ask a question about gardening, we happy to handle that. Seven to one three two one two k t R H seven to one three two one two kt r H.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: I was out in the backyard this week and it's like, okay, it's late September, and mosquitoes were out there after me. It's like, what, uh, what's going on here? I mean, come on, man, we need a break. Well. I went to the garage and guess what, I didn't have any mosquito dunks in my garage. I'm the guy who talks about mosquito dunks all the time and mosquito granules, the bits that they use the same Summit Responsible Solutions sells us both of them, and I didn't have any. So I gotta go run and get some. Because anytime you got standing water, and you will have standing water after a rain, it's going to be somewhere in gutters. It's going to be in the You know our well, our bird baths always have standing water underneath the catch basins. On your pot you got standing water. And then some people just have areas that don't drain. Well, a little bar ditch behind the house, and here they come. You throw a mosquito dunk in there and for it'll cover one hundred square feet and it'll last about a month, which takes us into a little bit of a cooler season here. You always just keep those things in the garage, keep them handy, you know, storm wherever you want storre them in the house if you want. But mosquito dunks are a disease of mosquitos, isn't that cool? It only affects mosquitos and fungal gnats, both of which fungus gnats, we don't like either one of those. So a bird drinks of water, it's okay. The pet drinks the water, it's okay. A lady bug drinks it's okay. It only affects mosquitoes. Mosquito dunks and mosquito bits. They really really work, and it's the simplest way to deal with mosquito. Breeding areas or rainburrow will be another example. A hole in a tree. You got a tree, a little hollow spot. Rain's going in there, and it's standing, and mosquitoes think that is heaven as a breeding spot, and they they'll drop their eggs right in there. And here come the mosquitoes out to spoil your little late day party one evening. Mosquito dunks is the way we get away with that. And so here I am the guy saying you got to get mosquito dunks, and I didn't have any to go to the store, gets more mosquita dunks. You are listening to garden Line if you'd like to give us a call seven one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two kt r H. That makes it really really easy get a hold of us.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: Someone was asking me about azamite, and I, you know, I sometimes I'll say things online and sometimes I'll get a call right after I say something and it'll be the same question I just answered. And that's okay. I'm patient, I can do that, but I'm it reminds me that sometimes we don't listen. I've been told I don't listen. We're going to leave that where it is. But anyway, I've talked about a lot of times, and the question, you know, was, is that like fertilizing in the fall. Well, it's okay, it's putting nutrients down, but I don't think of it in the sense of fertilizing that most people when they say fertilizing, they're thinking, I'm going to put those big three numbers nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium three numbers on a bag. I'm going to put it out and it's going to boost my lawn to grow. That's what the nitrogen especially does. Well, it's not that you put asmite down and it doesn't like push new growth. It builds the bank account of the soil with micronutrients needed in trace amounts, so that when your plant roots need it, when you're fertilizer, when you're nitrogen pushes growth. There are all the other things that are necessary to make plant leaves, roots, stems, fruit, flowers and everything else the plant has, they're the nutrients necessary to do that in the bank account. And that's how as might works. So just think of it as a trace mineral or a micronutrient however you want to turn for your plants. It also, I think it's good in a vegetable garden, because when we eat vegetables, we want a good quality nutrient source there. We want the minerals, all the minerals that our body needs. And I'll put it out in the vegetable garden probably, I think generally, well, in a lawne you're going to use a forty four pound bag will cover about six to twelve thousand square feet, and a vegetable garden about ten pounds per thousand is what I would put out about ten pounds per thousand in the vegetable garden. But I you know, not that difficult to do. Just don't put it in the same hopper as your fertilizer because particle size is different. But it's far to put your fertilizer out for fault. Portrays might out for fault. It's a good time to do it. Hopefully that clarifies a little bit if they're if you're having a little misunderstanding about it, that will clarify things a little bit for you. So I mentioned I was out doing some grow work and harvest and stuff. I've got a bunch of weird summer vegetables in the garden, things that most people don't grow, you know, there's vegetables like molakia. Now, if you're from anywhere from Mideast, across India, Pakistan through that whole region in there, molechia is very popular, a very popular vegetable. It's used in a lot of lamb and rice dishes and other things. But I like to grow it because it laughs at summer. I've got malabar another one. It laughs at summer. It's a very large kind of fleshy leaf plant a little it's mucilaginous, which thickens, helps thicken soups thick and smoothies too. By the way, I have what else is in the garden right now? Oh gosh? Anyway, some emoranth. There's a type of amorant that has an edible leaf that I grow. The There's a type of silosha. Actually people call everything spinach that's not spinach, and they call the silosha that we Egyptian spinach. I don't know why, but anyway, have some of that out there and a number of other things, and I'm out picking mostly. I just picked the leaves and use them in smoothies and things. Because you're getting vitamins and nutrients and minerals from all of those things, and I know it's not time to plant them now. We're going into cool rather than warm. But when summer comes, just remember you can grow vegetables twelve months out of the year here. You know, there's a trade off no matter where you live and what you can grow. But down this far south in the country, we have truly twelve months of growing that we can do. And there ought to be something you can bring into the kitchen and put into a healthy diet every month of the year. Here in this area, we're fortunate in that way. Let's head out to the woodlands now and we are going to talk to Mike. Hello, Mike, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Hello, good morning.
Speaker 4: Oh Mike, Hey Mike, I did it. I did it again. I get talking and I forget that it's time for a break. I am going to have to put you on hold to come right back to my ologies. If you can hang on.
Speaker 12: Good morning, ship. I have a white fly infestation. That's uh some my myer limbit, my tea lime and across the yard of my high business. Uh you know, I'm watching some videos and I put some bike fendron on it yesterday and they also suggest like meem oil with with I guess like some soap in it or what do you what do you suggest for the white flies.
Speaker 4: So so the white flies that you see flying around, the adults, that's when everybody knows they have white flies. That's the obvious stage. It's hard, you know, because they're flying around. It's hard to do a lot to kill them. But but there are insecticides you put on the plant and they land and get exposed to them, and you've done some of that. They lay eggs and then the eggs hatch out into larva that are under the leaf that you don't really see. They're there if you look. But and then there's larva turned into pupa that kind of look like miniature fish scales stuck to the leaf, very tiny, and then they come out as adults. So in those first three stages, egg, larvae, and pupa, you can spray upward from underneath the plant with like a horticultural oil. Insecticidal soap will help against especially the larval stage. But you have to turn the spray or nozzle up to spray upward underneath the leaves and get the bottoms of the leaves and you can shut them down there. Those are are easier to get to stages than the adults. But either way you go about it, just keep in mind the life cycles so that you don't just wait until you see the adults to try to spray. It's harder to you know, they fly around, it's harder to hit them and do as much good as you can on the first three stages.
Speaker 12: So if I, if I, you know, applied the buck fin print yesterday, would you do it like again tomorrow or would you.
Speaker 4: Do that stuff last that lasts a long time? Mike, I, you know, I haven't looked at a label, but I'm a little surprised that by friend therene's label for citrus.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And you always want to be careful with things, you know, especially when it's on a crop you're gonna eat.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: But it may it may be. I just that I didn't realize there was a bivenron that you could use on ceterrius.
Speaker 12: But these are very small. Yeah there there's there's there's no fruit on these.
Speaker 4: They are only like a year old, so gotcha.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's OK. But so would you would you just an em oil and soap thin instead?
Speaker 4: I would? And and on the name there's there's two types of name. One is the oil and it'll say that when you look at the ingredient on the label.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 4: And the other one is ASA directin begins with a z A that is an extract out of that nem oil that has the insecticide in it. So the oil kills like oils killed by smothering pests. The ASA directing forms kill by putting a natural insecticide on the leaf that soaks into the tissue so that when things feed on it, they get that as a direction. So I would do the oil form. I just think it's a little bit better for this particular pest.
Speaker 12: Would I'm concerned with the oil and the you know, the heat that we have. You know, if I did it early in the morning, like this morning, Uh, it should be fine for you know, you know it. Should you do it in addition to the bipendrone.
Speaker 11: Then.
Speaker 4: Well I would, just because you're trying to knock these things out completely, and there there were those two products are working in a little different ways. With a bifenthron, you're poisoning them. With the oil, you're smothering eggs, larvae and pupa. All three that are all under the leaf. Uh. And so if you see why I'm saying saying, go go with the oil to on that mix.
Speaker 12: Yes, okay, perfect, thank you.
Speaker 4: And and they have they have a lot of natural enemies. And one problem we get into when we start spraying is we kill some white flies, but we also kill their natural enemies, and so, uh, you know, there's that kind of a good news bad news thing there in the mix. So I always try to avoid killing good guys as much as possible because that just makes our job harder.
Speaker 12: Right, I understand that, you know that's it does affect like bead and stuff like that. And these are these are expensive uh trees, you know, and they've started to you know, their leaves are curling and dying, so I know that they're attacking the plant pretty good.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, Mike, if you're seeing if you're seeing curling of the leaves, I would also look real carefully at those curling leaves for trails, serpentine trails going all the way through the leaf. They'll they'll be like a little black thread through the trail as well, skinnier than the width of the trail. There's an insect that eats through the leaf between the upper and lower surfaces called the leaf minor and citrus gets us and it causes the new growth to curl and to get silvery looking. So you may also have that. Now, if you have that, then the name the as a directin type of name would be the one to use because it goes into the tissue and the thing chomping the inside of the leaf will be affected by the asidactin.
Speaker 12: I probably should have help. So the others whie flies, the curling leaves, and then there's there's leaves that have look like a mold on them, you know, like a really dark mold on them. So I don't know.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's well, that's connected to the white flies, which anything sucks juices out of leaves, basically peas out sugar water, and that's aphid scale, white flies, mealy bugs, all of those create that sooty mold. But the city mold is more just if you spray sugar water on your citrus leeves, you would start to see a build up of sooty molt. So that that's just a secondary indication in this case of your white flies. All right, great, all right, good luck with that.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 4: You know, when we answer gardening questions on guardline. All I ask is that you bring me half of the produce. When those centras start to produce, just drop it off with KTRH Studio and we'll call it.
Speaker 12: Even we'll do it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thanks a lot, Mike, appreciate that our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. When was the last time you're at it in Chana gardens? I want to tell you what's there now? If you go out now, what are you going to see out there? You're going to see all kinds of cool stuff. But there's one particular thing that you got to get the kids out there to do. They can they had the fixens to build your own scarecrow. It's really cool. So you basically you buy the supplies you're going to get. You're going to bring your old clothes, you know, some old clothes that are on their way to goodwill or whatever or even less less attractive than that. You bring those. They're going to get you the skeleton of it, which is basically you know, the stick that goes inside. They're going to give you the stuffings for it. They got to, you know, all the stuff you need to put together. Scarecrow is like a little kid and kids can do this and it is fun. You know, there's a little video online if you go to the the Anchinna Gardens. Some of their social media and whatnot tells you how to do that, whether it's Instagram or Facebook, and your kids can build their own scarecrow for decorating for fall harvest season, both through Halloween, Thanksgiving. All of that. It's really cool. And they also have a supply. They have everything, so I never know what to talk about with them, but they have a supply of things called airplants. Airplants are things like ball moss. Have you ever seen ball moss up in trees or southern moss that hangs down. Well, airplants are like that, but they have all kinds of exotic types of airplanes. Now, if you can't crun airplant, I can't help you. You're gonna have to go buy silk plants or something, because it's so easy. You just dunk them in water basically. But they've got cool stuff like that for those For the plat person who has everything, I bet they don't have talentsius, which are the airplants. Let's take a little break here by the way, and Jenny Gardens is on FM three fifty nine. The website it's on the Katie Fullsher side of Richmond. The website is Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. They are open today from eight to five Tomorrow from ten to four. Go check this out. Take the kids with phone number if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two kt RH seven one three two one two k t RH. You know, we love feed stores here on guard Line. And for those of you down in the Greater League City area. When I say Greater League City, I mean Santa Fe, Webster, Clare Lake City, elkam Into Real Sandling on the Mark Baycliff, Dickinson. This is a hometown feedstore for you guys. It's been around for forty years down there and it if she that old time service that you would expect, you know, the third generation now Thunderberg's run in that feed store and I love going in there. And when you go in, by the way, they're open Monday through Saturday from nine to six and closed on Sunday. So if you need to get some shopping done, this weekend. Now's the time to get down there and do it. I like that six pm because every day after working, just swing buy and get what you need. Here's a phone number two eight one three three two sixteen twelve. You're going to find all the things you need to control pests, weeds and diseases, premium pet foods that they have there. If you got backyard chickens, they got you covered on all the supplies you need for that. And they have every fertilizer and some of the soil blends that I talk about here on Guardline. How much more could you want. It's time for fall fertilization, So swing by League City Feed and grab the ones you need for the fall, whether you're gardening organically or synthetic or however you go about it. League City Feed's got you covered. For example, they have you know, night fross Ha their three step program. Now, the Nitropus three step is basically a fertilizer, a weed control and a fungus a disease control. So fertilizer that is the Nitropos Fall Special Winter Riser Fall Special Winderizer. It is. It's got plenty of that potassium that we need in order to build cold heartiness and to help that grass come out stronger in the spring. Remember spring growth, the first earliest spring growth on your grass is based on stored energy, not what the roots are taking up. Then, so your fall fertilization is critical for winter hardiness but also for spring growth. Then it has the barricade which prevents all the cool season weeds that will be sprouting in October and November. So you want to get that stuff down in October. Just follow my schedule online gardening with skip dot com and you'll find that. And then the third of the three steps is the Nitrophus eagle turf fungicide. That's a systemic products into the grass tissues, so when the disease tries to attack, it has its protectant. They're already built into the plant. Now, brown patch or large patch as it's now called, it's going to appear when we get a little cold front in here, in some rainy, cool weather. You're going to start to see the circles. You have to get down ahead of that in order to have success. Don't wait until the circles appear. Follow my schedule. Get it on early October is what I would recommend for that to have success. Now you're going to find night Foss products at Court Hardware and Stafford Katie Ace Hardware. You'll find them at Plants Something, Plants and Things up in Brenham and up in Willis at the Growers outlet. Also, we're going to go now to talk to Carl. Hello, Carl, where are you calling from.
Speaker 11: I'm in the west part of Houston, the Gaalleria tangle Wood area.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, how can we help today?
Speaker 11: Well, I've got three clear Era that are about two years old and have done well, but recently, over the last few weeks, they've all started dropping leaves, some more extensively than others, and it just seems like they're watering the plants around them. I've got some camellia that are planted in the same bed along with the holly hedge. Okay, everything seems to be doing well except those clear Era, and one of the three is like, it's really more affected than the other two. But they're all kind of doing the same thing.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, something's going on in the roots. Claire is an evergreen, but evergreens do drop their leaves, whether it's a pine tree or a clare or any other evergreen. The leaves only live so long and they have cycles where they drop them. But what you're having happened there is a little out of sinc It could be dry roots. It could be damage to the roots, physical damage to the roots. It could be soggy wet conditions where the roots can't get oxygen they start to die. Then it essentially is like dry roots. Because you don't have roots, you can't take out water. It's gonna be one of those things going on. It could be a root rot disease that's around them. It's hard to know for sure. If you were to have one that was pretty much gone and you look at us like, this thing is not coming back, don't wait until it's completely brown. Pull it up and take a knife and slice down through the trunk, bark at the base, you know, and just like you're whittling it down, and look underneath the tissues. Instead of being creamy white, you'll see some streaking of brown and gray in there. That's a sign that you had a root a root disease. Or when you pull it up you to see all the roots are rotted. You have green leaves on some green leaves still left on top That's why I say, don't wait too long. And then you see rotted roots. Now you know what you're dealing with, and you could go get a drench of a fungicide to drench over them. But because those causes are so different, I hate to send you out to buy a product when that may not be what you need.
Speaker 11: Yeah, see what I'm saying. Do you have someone that you could recommend that could maybe come by and take a look at them and if they need to be replaced, would have the knowledge to put something in there that would thrive in an area? Seems like these beds they face the north side of the house, and it just seems like I have trouble gaining other things.
Speaker 4: I just think brow, I understand. Yeah, you know, you just need to find a good landscape. I don't have someone that I'd recommend specifically for your area.
Speaker 11: For that.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry about that. Uh. You can send a plant up to the plant clinic at A and M. You shake all the soil that can off box it up, ship it up there and they'll they'll tell you exactly if it's a disease what it is. But other than that, you know, it would just be a matter of finding a good landscape that knows what they're doing. And I don't have a tis.
Speaker 11: If we find out though, all right, the problem, if we if you correct the problem and treat it, will be plants likely survive or are they probably going to need to be replaced.
Speaker 4: If you catch it early in the process, you can probably save them. If it's too far along, there's not much left to save done in those tissues, but it's worth the dry. Dig down with your hands in the soil, feel the soil about four inches deep and see does it feel soggy or does it feel a little dry. I don't think it'll be dry right now, but it might be, so just kind of check that if you just want to be you know, take Since you don't have a magical cure right here, you could just get a drench and put it on and drench it down in there. But go by Southwest Fertilizer. They're pretty close to you out there in Southwest Houston, and they're going to have a wide right Tell them what you have. Tell them. We talked on guardline. You might have a root right in it. That would be the only other thing I could suggest.
Speaker 11: Carl, Okay, all right, thank you for your good luck.
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, I wish you. Wish you well with that. If you need help with a landscape, you know, maybe you want to redo some plants, maybe you want some more drought tolerant plants, maybe you just want to beautify an area. Pierscapes as a company, we recommend you consider. Peerscapes has been doing this a long time. Go to their website piercescapes dot com. You're going to see the work they do. They do drainage work. If you need an area that's poorly drainfix, they'll do it. They work on irrigation systems to get them right. They can do hard scapes, they can do landscape lighting. They can create patios and outdoor barbecue areas that you just wouldn't believe. Pierscapes dot com is a website and I encourage you to take a look. They also do quarterly maintenance wherever quarter they come in and weed and fertilize and check your irrigation and change out the color. So you know we're going into fall now it's time for new color change, and then for winter we'll have a color change. They'll do all that. Add mulch to your beds. All from Pierscapes at peerscapes dot com. We're going to go now to Manvil and talk to Adolf. Hello Adolf, good morning.
Speaker 15: For simmons.
Speaker 4: Hey, yes, sure, uh yeah, I'm sorry. I'm just going to let you know. We've got a short time here. So for simmons, how can we help?
Speaker 15: Yeah, they're those the colored right now and most of the leaves are gone. It take a long time to.
Speaker 4: Bite them.
Speaker 15: Cut them off. Now.
Speaker 4: Now here's what you do. There's two types of per simmons. Some are astringent, some are non astringent. The astringent types pucker your mouth and you got to let them get pretty soft before they are ready to eat. I would leave them on the tree as long as you can. If we haven't had a freeze, bring them in, put them in the freezer overnight, take them out, let them thaw, do it again, freezer overnight, come out, let them thowt If it's a if it's an a stringent type, if it's a non astringent type, once it turns really nice deep color orange that you can pick them and eat them. At that stage, you just have to figure out which type you have. If you want to hang around through break. We can continue the discussion, but we got to go for now.
Speaker 12: All right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip rictor.
Speaker 16: Just watch him.
Speaker 4: All right, folks, welcome back to garden Line. We're going to jump right into it here. We got plenty of things to talk about.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: I was at at Arborgate not too long ago and just checking out what they have, what's going on out there, And you know at the arbor gate there is always always something going on. I mean they stay stocked up on whatever plant is suitable for the season. So I don't matter what it is. Vegetables. Do you need vegetables? I hope you do it. Fall all vegetables the best season at all of all for growing vegetables, it is. How about herbs, Fall is the best time to plant all your perennial herbs and arbrogates. Stocked up on that. If you're looking for decorations, if you're looking for just your indoor supplies for holidays, you know, from gourmet things to gifts to whatnot. We've got Thanksgiving coming up here, and certainly all the decorations outdoors for you know, everything from Halloween to harvest season. Arbigate's got that all loaded up. You just need to go. If you've not been, you need to go now. I'm a horticulturist. I'm into their plants and the products that they have, like their one two three easy system for soil for anything with roots. It's a fertilizer for anything with roots. It's the compost for anything with roots, which is everything we grow. But you ought to see the gift shops. They are gorgeous. They are gorgeous, and we've got all kinds of holidays coming up here as we go through the rest of this year. And I promise you when you get into Arbrogate, you're going to see things that's like this is the perfect gift for so and so fill in the blank. Right. They absolutely are loaded on everything that you can imagine like that. Plus when you go to Arburgate, you get excellent advice, advice from people who know what they're talking about. Beverly and Kennon and the whole team out there at Arburgate. They are experts. I talk to them all the time. Sometimes we collaborate on questions that have come up from a customers, like here's a very unusual questions. They are up to speed on all that kind of stuff, and I just to really appreciate working with them because they are the kind of folks that love plants, they love people, and you will really love your trip when you go out to Arburgate there on the west side of Tombull. For those of you haven't been there before, it's twenty nine to twenty. That's the farm to market going west out of Tombull on the left hand side. Arburgate dot com. Go to that website Arbrogate dot com find out more about it, but mainly go out there and get ready for fall. At Arburgate. I'm going to go now to Jersey Village and if I can get my there, we go. We're going to talk to George. Hello, George, welcome to garden.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Stiff, Good morning. I got some sweet potatoes that I've had in the ground since about APO is up and then the leaves are everywhere, So I just wondering when do I harvest those boogers.
Speaker 4: Sweet potatoes don't ripen, so you can harvest them whenever you want. Now, generally you want them to get a decent size to them, right, and so we leave them a little bit longer, you want to harvest them before we have a frieze, because as those roots swell up, the ground cracks open and the cold air can get in there and actually damage some of those potato parts that are up near the surface. But anytime you want to harvest them, I would get, you know, a little your fingers and some soil, a little trol or whatever kind of scrape the sow back and see what kind of roots you got. Do you need a little longer or are they good to go? Maybe you harvest one hill and then harvest another hill. There's not a right or wrong on that one. Just don't wait until it's frisen.
Speaker 7: And then one other thing. We were in South Padre Island two weeks ago and hanging out on the beach and stuff, and there are a bunch of butterflies there. So my buddy says, you know what they have these butterflies doing there in South Podia Island. So and I and I told him your story about they were swimming. They came flying across the Gulf of Mexico for some stupid reason. So no, no, we were impressed with that pretty something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know what they who knows why they were there. I'm not a butterfly expert, but the butterflies are going the other way. They're heading to Mexico here this fall.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: They're fueling up at our houses right now and heading that way.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: So, I don't know why they were in Galveston. Maybe maybe they just had a little vacation time. They wanted to go to the beach. Yeah, oh South Padre Okay, Oh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. That's a big, big wayfair station for for butterflies and hummingbirds.
Speaker 5: And that's amazing, amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, sounds fun. Thanks all right, George. Thanks, appreciate, appreciate you calling. Our phone number is seven one three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Listen.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 4: Turf Star. It's a it's a lawn fertilizer, turf Star from Nelson Plant Food and turf Star has it's a series of fertilizers. The turf Star you need to be looking at right now. You can do one of two. You can do Bruce's Brew, which is any month of the year. But I'm gonna talk about carbol Load. Carbol Load is a product that is designed with the higher potassium content and a little lower nitrogen. That's what we want to do in the fall. I'll talk a little bit later why that is. But you put it down now, it gets into your plant, and just think of it as this. It's like putting anafreeze into the plant. It makes it more cold hearty. Potassium plays a huge role in cold heartiness of any plant. Also, by going into fall strong, it comes out strong, and carboload is designed for that. You will benefit from your fall carboload application in the spring when the grass starts to green up and grow, because your fall application will be fueling that early green up and growth of the Saint Augustine grass or zoizia or bermuda, whatever you are growing. It also contains a pre emergent herbicide. Now, because of that, you want to make sure and get that done early. If you look at my schedule, fall fertilization is all through the month of October. Well, get it done in early October. If you're going to do the carboload, get it done now. You can even do it late September, which is where we are right now. From now on into the early part of October, get that down because you want when the weed seed start to germinate for winter, which is the hindbitten chickweed and carpet weed, annual bluegrass, all the different things like that. You want to have that carboload down with that pre emergent down. Now. Nelson Products has it, and Nelson products are widely available, easy to find them. But just remember for your fall fertilization that carbe load and get it down sooner rather than later. All right, I hope that makes sense. It's important to make sure and get that done. I was talking to somebody just the other day, just in fact, yesterday who had a tree problem. I do a little consultat consulting here with folks, and I was out on a site looking at a tree problem that they had, and I was looking at the pruning job that had been done, and it was not a good pruning job. They had some big wounds that were not healing. They left stubs, they cut some things too close to the trunk. They didn't know how to prune. That's why I keep telling you guys, call Martin spoon Moore at Affloridable Tree Care and listen. Martin does a good job. That's why he stays busy. And that's why you don't need to wait until, oh it's February, winter's almost over. It's too late. I mean the guys, it's going to stay booked up all the time for some period of time. If you want to make sure and get into the best pruning time, that's October through February here in our area. You need to call Martin now and get on the schedule. Tell him you heard about on guarden line. Helps you get up to the front of his list.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: And but you got to get on the schedule. We'll fall in winter pruning. He'll prune him, he'll do deep root feeding. He'll check the overall healthier trees. If you see any movement at the tree base or roots, in other words, that that tree is kind of lifted up from the storms and the wet soils that we had, you can kind of see that as it kind of lifts up. You know, it's obvious tree leaning. And in fact, the site I was on had that kind of condition. You need to call Martin. Here's here's the number seven one three, six nine nine twenty six sixty three. That's seven one three, six ninety nine two six sixty three. If Martin or Joe don't answer the phone, you've called the wrong number. Seven one three sixt' nine nine twind your landscape. You can give me a call it three two one two fifty eight seventy four. And if you've listened to garden Line once, you have heard me talk about the importance of building your soil. That is where success starts. I know, you go into a garden center. I go into garden centers and see all the color and it's just like, I gotta have one of all those. That's what attracts me. Not a bag of mulch or soil mix or bed mix off to the side. But the most important thing in that garden center are the products that build your soil, and then come the plants that go into it. Yes, we want those plants to be beautiful. But if you want success, why not build a bed with roses and bloomers blend from heirloom soils or with veggie and herb mix for vegetables and herbs, and it works good for flower bits too, by the way, from heirloom soils, or with fruit berry and citrus mix. Why not fill your containers with cactus and suculent mix if it's cactire succulents or with the works potting soil. All of those are from heirloom soils. I want to tell you something going on this week. This is a a kind of a short deal. But at the Porter Location, which is where airloom soil is made up in Porter, Texas, they have a limited time special. You can either go up there and pick it up or you can have them deliver it. And you need to listen carefully. This airloom soils rosesoil, which is good for any kind of landscape beds that you have, heirloom soils, rose sooil or veggie and herb mix in bulk. When you go up there, you'll receive a free bag of Microlife six to four the Microlife fertilizer. Now you can go to the web to Airloomsoils dot com to learn all about it. If you want to know about that particular location, then go to rock inmlts dot com. That's rock the letter in malt dot com. Rockinmltz dot com. That's the Porter location. There's a soil yard up there, you know where they do the airlom sols. They have the Rock materials as well up there, so anything you need to deliver it or go pick it up, but go ahead and do it now. It's a short term. Plus you need to get the beds made quick heirloom. So this is you get the rose soil by bulk or the veggiean nerb mix by bulk, pick up her delivery. You receive a free bag of Microlife six to four, which you'll also need when you get those products. We're going to go back to the woodlands now and talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, we got some more questions on white flies.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's a follow up question. I spread to buy syndroyn yesterday. I think it got on my time plant. Would you throw that away or not eat it for a while?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 12: And then second I would yeah, throw it away.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I don't take a chance on that. I mean it. I could never tell you to do something that's not according to the label and then put it in your mouth. I mean that, that would be malpractice on my part. So yeah.
Speaker 12: And then secondly, they recommend worm castings to put in the same plants that have the why the white fly infestation? Can you tell me what that would be for.
Speaker 4: Worm castings? Are loaded with micro First of all, they're also high in nutrients. When things go through a worm's gullet, it's basically taking organic matter, breaking it down, digesting it, and releasing all the good stuff that's in it. And so worm castings are just they're like a compost on steroids.
Speaker 12: Okay, I see it can burn roots, so it must be like a you know, pretty rich.
Speaker 4: You would have to use a lot to burn roots. I would, I would, but you don't need that much. That's you know, they're not cheap, and so I would just put a little bit out, follow the instructions on the bag there. But you're you got a pretty enriched stuff. It's not quite the level of like a bag of fertilizer in terms of concentration, but it's above compost in terms of concentration. Great, thank you, all right, you bet, thanks Mike. Hey, Mike, you're up there in the woodlands. I keep forgetting to mention. Today I'm going to be at A and A Plans and Produce out there in Montgomery. I know that's not your back door, but it's not too far away. I'll be there after the show today. So if you get a chance, just swing on by, I'd love to meet you. And if you got any samples or plants you want to bring by for us to look at, give us some eye to eye face to face time to get that done. I just want to mention that for I turned you loose.
Speaker 12: All right, thank you.
Speaker 4: You bet bye bye. All right, folks, if you were up in the Tomball West of Tomball twenty nine to twenty, there's a lot of new neighborhoods that have gone in out there. D and DE Feed Store is your hometown feed store out there. You know they've got all the fertilizers we talk about. They've got soil blends we talk about. And when I say that, what I mean is like age leaf, moll compost, I'm heirlooms rose soil. They're fruit berry and citrus mix and veggie nerve mix. I was just talking about. You can buy it by the bag of D and D Feed. Do you want a night to five fertilizer like sweet Green or super Turf for the Imperial or the Saint Augustine's Weed and feed things tree intra barricade for the for the the pest problems that you have. D and D Feed carries all of that. Plus they just their feed store. They have quality feeds, quality feed for your pets too. By the way, they've expanded the store and it's just a nice place to visit. It's really convenient and easy swinging out twenty nine to twenty just out west to Tom Ballaway's and you're gonna find what you need there. Absolutely, they and good friendly service too, by the way, is what you would expect from D and D feed. I was talking about that nitross, you know, the the nitrofoss one to two three completely easy system that is called they call it the Texas three step. You probably heard of the Texas two step, right, we're talking about the Texas three step, And what is that. Well, it's a fertilizer. It is a weed control and it is a disease control. So the fertilizer is their fall fertilizer. It has got a good boost of the potassium the third in it. That's what creates winter hardiness and helps your plant come out stronger in the spring. The second step is the weed control product that's barricade. You got to get it down before weeds germinate. They will germinate in October. I don't know exactly when I'll tell you two things. Number one, it varies between weed species a little bit. And number two, it's very dependent on the weather. Weeds don't have calendars, and they look, oh, it's time to germinate. When it cools off, get a little rain. That's when those cool season weeds sprout and begin to grow, just like our blue bonnets do the same thing. You got to get the barricade down before them. So do that early in the month of October. You can go ahead with the fall fertilizing from night fruss as well, right now, if you'll do that. And then finally, the third one is the eagle turf fungicide. Egle turf fungicide is a product that will get in the grass as a systemic okay, so it moves into the tissues of the grass. And when it does that, then when the brown patch or large patch tries to infect, you've already got in the system of the plant the protectant against that. Excuse me, I lost my mic there for just a moment. But anyway, that eagle turf fungicide is what needs to be done ahead of time. It's also going to be helpful for take all root rot which its primary infection period and control period is going to be in the fall nitopas three step No where do you get it? Well Bearings Hardware both on Bessinet and Reck and west Timer have it. You go to RCW Nursery you're going to find it. Lake Hardware and Angleton and the one in Lake Jackson and Alspa Hardware or Ace Hardware up in the Woodlands is also going to have your nitrofoss texas, your three step one two three, the fall special winter riser, the barricade for weeds, and the Eagle Turf fungicide for diseases. That makes it really really easy. Hey, if you would like to give us a call, our phone number here is seven to one three two one two ktrh. That's seven one three two one two kt r h.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: Green Pro is a company that will take care of your compost, top dressing and your deep core aeration. Now what is core aeration. You can rent aerators that sort of push a hole in the soil and that sort of squeezes the soil out against the walls of the hole. Meaning it's not the ideal way to do it. It's better to have a hollo tyme errator that goes down and punches into the soil and pops out a core of soil and leaves it on the surface. It aerates, it makes roots just very happy by bringing oxygen down in there. And then you follow that with a compost top dressing and that falls down to the holes. So now you've got organic matter decomposing down in there. It's a way to gradually, over time help your soil just get better and better and better, and greenpro can do that. Now, Greenprose serves an area about forty five miles from Magnolia. Within that range, so we're basically talking northwest Houston. If you look at Interstate forty five and Interstate ten, that's basically the area so Spring and Cyprus, the Woodlands, Conroe, willis down or over to Magnolia and up in Montgomery off to the west and then down to Katie West Houston kind of central area and north central Houston that is basically at the northwest quadrant by Greenboro. Now right now through fall, they're going to aerate your lawn for free when you purchase a compost top dressing service. Now the price is start at five seventy five plus tax. It's heavy duty or not heavy duty. It's very high quality equipment that can do this job right and then haul in the compost around and everything. That is an expense for them to do. But you have to do a two yard minimum for this offer. So if you do a two yard minimum of compost, they will come out and they will not charge you for the aeration, but you pay for the just the compost top dressing service. Two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three. Let me say that again. Two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three. Or go to the website greenpro dot net, greenpro dot net. When was the last time you were at Nelson Watergardens. I love going on Nelson Watergarden. You know, it's actually Nelson Nursery and Watergardens. I think of them because they've always been a nationally known watergarden place. But they have an outstanding nursery out there as well. Fall is here and they are loaded up on everything that you would need. They have one of a kind plants, they've got pots, the fish, the fountains, the disappearing fountains, which are my favorite of all the things out there, of the types of fountains, but they can get you stocked up. They're at eighty Fort Ben Road, just north of it Katie Freeway, So you head out west on it. When you get to Katie Fort Benroad, turn north and it's just a hop skipping and jump up the street there. Nelsonwatergardens dot Com. Check out that website, follow them on social media. This is the kind of garden center that you want to take friends to. It's a destination and you just have to get there to see what I'm talking about. But they're ready to go for fall. Stocked up. A good place to visit. I'm going to take a quick break when I come back. Ronnie and Kim, you'll be our first. Good to have you with us today. We are talking all kinds of things gardening. I appreciate you tuning in if you've got a question. Seven to one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. When it was the last time you were at Buchanan's Garden Center in the Heights. That's that garden center right there on Eleventh Street in the Heights, and it is just a special place. And those of you who have been there that you know that, let me give you. I want to give you their website. First, they're located on eleven Street, but you need to go check out the websites Buchanans Plants dot com, Buchanansplants dot com when you walk in there. They specialize in native plants. In fact, the proper name I should say is Buchanan's Native Plants. That is the name of the garden center. They have way more than native plants. But when it comes to natives, I don't know anyone that has the diversity of selection and expertise in native plants. They have natives that are just from the Houston area. They have natives that are from the region. Whatever you need, they can set you up. Now. When it comes to dealing with issues in the garden, they have plenty of products to help fight anything that you might be dealing with. And they lean toward the organic side of things. You know, they have a wide variety of stuff organic and non organic, but they lean toward that direction and I think that makes it nice for those of you want to garden more naturally. For example, they have some excellent information on the website. That's why you need to subscribe to the newsletter too. Lots of good information. For example, there was a whole list the other day of native seeds that you can plant now that are favorites of pollinators, that are wildflower seeds, that are seed for bird lovers that attract the birds into the landscape. They just know what they're talking about. They've been doing this a good while and they're experts in at Beginnis Plants on Eleventh Street in the Heights, all the products you need for success in your garden. They know to begin with the soil and then move on to the plants and they can get you set up with both of those. I'm going to head now out to the phones and talk to Ronnie ed Magnolia. Hello, Ronnie, welcome to Garden Line. Lawrence, yep, I'm good sir. How can we help Hey? A couple of questions.
Speaker 18: Yip talking a lot to I hear you this morning on pre emergence. I've got a partical garden and need to get an idea of when I should put the pre emergent down and what you recommend.
Speaker 4: You know, Ronnie, I just don't recommend pre emergence for a vegetable garden. And now there are probably a product or two out there that's labeled for use in vegetables. But what I find is we're doing so much soil disturbing all the time as we pull out one set of plants and plant another one and whatnot, that they're just not a good practical, you know, way to go about that. I recommend multing, multing, multing, you know, just always keep the sole surface covered with mult except when you pull the multi back to plant seeds or transplants. I think that's the best way to go about it as opposed to the pre emergent route.
Speaker 18: I think I'm probably shot myself in the foot. Last couple of years, I put down treth land and try to keep the broad leaf plants away from it. But I didn't get a real good response out of that.
Speaker 4: Well, and that's just another thing about pre emergence and a vegetable garden. If you're planning seed, the pre emergent works to not let seed grow and develop and make a plant. And so that's another issue that, yeah, you can run into. I would stay away from it.
Speaker 18: How it works pretty good?
Speaker 4: Huh, well who does? But a hoe is my punishment, you know what I call I have a term I use that used to tell my kids grown up, Uh, it's called stupid tax and that's what you pay when you do something stupid. And if I'm sticking right, you don't mulch my soil. My stupid taxes, I get to grab a hoe and go chop weeds, so I try to avoid that. But I just.
Speaker 18: I thought, everybody go ahead from West Texas. Every falling boy in West Texas was raised with a whole handle in his hand.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I have. I can tell you right where the blisters for him too on that.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 18: Also, uh, I like what you was talking about the heirloom souls over and uh may I've been putting in a rose soil mixed with compost in the years, you know, top off my end ground and above ground gardens. So I might try some of that over at h at heirlooms all that vegetable meetings.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, well, now, if you're gonna do it, now's the time you get a free bag of the micro life you throw in there that even though we think of it as a lawn fertilizer, it is excellent for vegetable gardens. That's their green bag.
Speaker 18: Second question, that's be my first year to really have my greenhouse up and running now it's like a seven, but twelve walking in when should I start planning my sablings and they get them up and as you I can transplant them into the garden.
Speaker 4: Now, hurry up, get it done. It's a little you know, even with things like the cool the broccoli and bluey vegetables, it's even a little bit late to get going on those. But you can still do it. You can still do it. And then lettuce and spinach and things, if you can get them in a spot that's a little cooler. It's hard to do that in a greenhouse, but if you can do that, that's better. But that would be yes spring garden, Oh for spring. I generally start planting beginning of January. The way I like to tell people is when you have family over for the holidays and they don't leave, it's a good excuse to get out of a house. Go get that done.
Speaker 18: Okay, okay, January, all vegetables in would be good to go.
Speaker 4: With, well all of it, like your your cool seasons, but your tomatoes and peppers and eggplant in the area where you live in I have will plant in January, and then basically I may have a little bit older transplant it's a little bigger, stronger before it goes out. But that's just fine. Hey man, I got to run. I got a phone board full of phones here, but I appreciate it, and good luck with that out there. Appreciate Thank you for the call. Yes, sir, you take care. The folks at Medina have been you know, they've been Gardenline sponsored since the nineteen fifty since before it was even called garden Line. They were around doing that. And those of you who know Medina products, you're very familiar with Medina the hash to grow. Well, do you know about Medina plus Medina plus basically think about Medina Plus as Medina soil activator plus. We're talking about trace eneroals. We're talking about things like side of cainan, which is a natural hormone that occurs people typically. That's one reason we used seweed extract on it, Magnesium, iron, zinc, just on and on and on. It's loaded Medina plus. So if you want to put a plant in the ground and water it in really good and get it going, use Medina plus one ounce per gallon, it's all it takes, and just pour it right over the plant leaves and all drench that root system and help it get started falls planting time, whether it's a vegetable garden, an herb garden, a flower bed, trees and shrubs. Get some Medina plus. Have it always on hand. Anytime you need a plant. You can use it as a folier. It's not going to burn your plants. Just fine Medina Plus from the folks at Medina. We're going to now go to Kim in Alvin. Hello, Kim, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 6: Actually is Ken Kenneth.
Speaker 4: Oh, Ken, Ken, Welcome to Guardline. Sorry about that.
Speaker 6: I can't lower my or raise my voice at high anyways. Uh hey, I got a large live bulk that's in distress.
Speaker 12: I know you.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you're familiar with trees. I'm trying to find an arborist or something, but I've got a lot of branches that are starting to do their bear the tip, you know, and I don't want to lose it. It's it's a beautiful, beautiful tree and it's uh right now.
Speaker 4: Don't mess around, Yeah, don't mess around with trees that you got to take care of. Affordable tree is the guy. The man's name is Martin Spoon Moore and I'm going to give you a phone number. Do you got a penhandy? I'm ready, huh seven to one three six nine two six six three. If you want the website, it's eight f F Tree Service dot com a F F Tree Service dot com and he can get you fixed up. You need to call him soon, though, because you need to get on the schedule. Telling me you heard about it on Guardenline and you heard that you can get up, move up in the list a little bit being a guardline caller, and make sure that you get that done, because yes, take care of that tree. Hey, I'm hitting a hard break. If you need to hang on afterward, that's fine. If that's it. I do appreciate the calls right to have to go so quickly. Here we're back back again. If you are in the area of Magnolia, Spring Creek Feed Center is your hometown feed center. It's on twenty nine seventy eight FM twenty nine to seventy eight, just a few minutes away from Grand Parkway Highway two forty nine. You're going to find there the full line of fertilizers, you know, the turf Star, the Microlife, the Nitroposs and whatnot. They've got it all there anything you need for your lawn and your garden, whether it's controlling weeds, pests, or diseases. When you walk in, one thing is one of the things I really like about Sprint Creek Feed is they're so friendly. Number One, you walk in and the first thing you do is your jaw drops open because it's such a cool, beautiful place inside with all kinds of stuff. You know, this isn't just an old feed store. This is like a really special place purchasing gifts and everything you can imagine. But they have a garden center that has everything you need for success and friendly folks to greet you. If you're FFA or four h They've got discounts for those kiddos raising livestock, animals, military, senior citizens, also discounts for you as well. They can special order again. They're on twenty nine seventy eight in the Magnolia area Spring Creek Feed. We're going to go now to David up in the Woodlands. Hello David, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Good morning, and thanks for taking my call the skip. I had a quick question about a Foxdale farm. We planted one originally all six weeks ago. All of a sudden, about all three weeks ago, it started turning brown, and I initially thought it was from my yard guy killing Wieds with roundup. It continued and finally pulled it out, bought a second one that's fairly large Foxdale. Bought a second one, replanted it in the same position. Within about eight days, the second one is starting to have the same symptoms of the leaves turning light color, then panned, then basically dying. So I pulled it out yesterday, put it in a pot, and this morning it's multiplied two fold in dying from dying. Can this be compomination in that particular part of the ground.
Speaker 4: Well, there are some products that you know they One of them is called like it's a ground clear, meaning you put it down and it kills anything that's grown there. It's gonna grow there, And so if they misused a product like that, it could be that kind of contamination. If it was you said round up, right, is your guest was your guests?
Speaker 19: I do not know what great however, he would have done the entire front bed and.
Speaker 4: Issue. Yeah, sure, well the roundup would not be persistent like that, killing the next plant you plant. So it's not. It's not that if it were rounded to what to dry, some sort of root rot. I don't know what to tell you on that one. That's a pretty tough plan.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: And so we don't really worry about pampering it a lot. But if something's wrong underground, Yeah, something's wrong underground too wet, too dry, or a root rot. And I can't I don't have a crystal ball to know what, but to dig down. If you dig down four inches and feel the soil and it's kind of soggy, then it's too wet, if it could be too dry. But they're pretty resilient on drought. And but if if it were drought that killed it, it would probably die back and then come back because it's got underground storage tubers that can fuel my growth.
Speaker 19: And it was loaded with tubers. Just talking about yeah, look like a peanut plant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, cut back all the dead, kind of watch the watering, and hopefully it'll come back. That's about as far as we can go on, you know, just based on not being there and picking up the plant and looking around at it and stuff. But hopefully it'll bounce back for you.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 19: They are they are unbelievably resilient normally yes, and that's why I was so surprised this thing. I went, you don't have to worry about.
Speaker 4: You bet, I understand. Hey, I'm gonna have to run, But thank you for the call and I hope that hope you can get that turned around. Thanks a lot for that call. Appreciate that, David. Uh three sixty tree stabilizer is something you've heard me talk about. And fall is four planting. This is the season when if you're going to put a t and do it in the fall October November or just the ideal for fall planting, do in December January too if you want. But get your three sixty tree stabilizer. It grabs a hold of the tree trunk loosely to allow movement, which is very important. You can put a post in, you can put hammer a t post in if you want, and it'll attach to those You're going to find them at Jorgeshaden Gardens don in Alvin Up at Arborgate in the Tomball area. Buchanus Native Plants in the Heights RCW Nursery where two forty nine comes into belt wag eight plants for all seasons on two forty nine Southwest Fertilizer down Southwest Houston. These are all places that carry the three sixty tree stabilizer. I would not plant a tree in the fall without getting one. They are their new invention in the last few years and they just really really work and they take care of your tree. They hold it right, but they also allow movement so you don't have stuff cutting into those branches. Stea tree stabilizers. If you're going to plant a tree, you need to get one of those two and they last. You can use it over and over again. We're gonna go now to Mike in the Woodlands. Hey, Mike, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 20: Good morning, Skipp. Yeah, I've actually moved to tom Also, Hey, I just moved into a brand new home. And anyway, it has a hybrid.
Speaker 6: Bermute that.
Speaker 20: I'm wondering if you're familiar with that.
Speaker 4: It's tough. It has hybrid. What I didn't catch that.
Speaker 21: It's it's.
Speaker 20: And the name of it is called it's called tiff tough t I you.
Speaker 4: Know, okay, okay, Mike, you're cutting out a lot, But I know what you're asking about. What is the specific question about that.
Speaker 20: Bermuda well, well, it's been been dorm well it's been the house was I noticed that, so it.
Speaker 11: Got very little care.
Speaker 20: I have a lot of thatch and a half and I'm just wondering if this winter if I put.
Speaker 6: An narration over that.
Speaker 4: Mike, I'm sorry, I'm gonna I'm gonna do my best to answer, but you're cutting out so much. I'm just getting bits and pieces. If you're gonna do corrooration, that's a good thing. Follow it with a compost top dressing, break it down in there really good. And all you need to do going into winter is a fall fertilization with a product designed for fall fertilization, and that would be your best bet in getting off to a really good start. Okay, I'm sorry, I'm just not able to hear any more on it, Chris, If you will go on, if he wants an email to email his question or some photos, we can take it from there, Mike. But sorry, just the audio just just wasn't working on that. When was the last time you went down to in Channet Forest down in the Richmond Rosenberg. You know, Enchanted Forest is one of my favorite garden centers in the whole area, and The reason is it just always has a stock of the best plants in the world. I mean just everything you need. Like right now, you're not thinking maybe about house plants, but here comes one or right a good time to stock up on houseplants. And oh my gosh, they have some gorgeous plants, absolutely beautiful ones. Do you need little starts for the potatoes, for shallots, for yellow onions and garlic and white onions and red onion. They've got all of that ready to go, and now's the time to get them in the ground. So take care of those things. Make sure you do that. Are you into desert roses? Boy, they are the hot items. It seems like everybody's talking about desert rose. If you don't know what they are, go buy and chanted forest and say, let me see these desert roses. Skip what was talking about. They're beautiful, They're very tough, succulent, they don't require a lot of pampering for them to do well, and they just bloom beauty. They're not a true rose, it's a different kind of plant. I'm more of a succulent type of plant. Do you want fall color with crotons and many many other things. They've got that. Do you want to plant a tree, Hey, consider a Chinese fringe tree. They've got plenty of those that been shenting for us. And it blooms in the spring with a honey like fragrant, little shaggy white ballooms so beautiful, so beautiful. By the way, the first pumpkins are there too, along with mums and asters. And in fact, you better take your pickup and have a friend brother pickup because there's so many things you're going to want to haul home from engended for us, including these fertilizers that I've been talking about and the products for fall. They got them all. Well, you are listening to Garden Line. We're gonna take a little break here for the news and we will be back. I hope you will join us again. I just want to remind you that on October fifth, Saturday, Oba Organic Horticulture Benefits Alliance is putting on so you want to grow your own good food program. They're gonna have doctor Bob Randall, who is an expert who's author of UH Year Round Gardening, which is a book you need to have if you're going to vegetable garden too. But it's gonna be on October fifth, from eight to three.
Speaker 2: Trim just watch him as many spot.
Speaker 5: Not a sign.
Speaker 4: Hey, welcome back, welcome back to the guard Line. Good to have you with us today. We were rolling here into our next the eight o'clock hour. Here we got a couple of a couple more hours, this one and the next one to go after that. Don't forget. I'm gonna be up at A and A Plant and Produce today. I will be there from twelve Noon've got time twelve noon to two pm. I'm going to be given away samples from the folks at Nelson Fertilizer and the folks at excuse me, pardon me, unprofessional to cough on the radio Medina. Folks at Medina, and the folks at Nelson Fertilizer. We've got some really cool stuff. Nelson's got some of their drag canisters, the granules of Drive fertilizer becoming a little one pound canisters. Got a few of them there. And also the folks at Medina are providing some of their liquid products, those in type products that they have, so come by you might win one of those. We'll have some other things to provide for you as well to take home consolation prizes. Bring me samples of plants to identify, to diagnose, put them in a ziplock bag, so suck then and crawl away. Bring things on your phone. Let's talk about it. Listen. If you're in the Montgomery County area in general, anywhere up there, I hope you'll swing by. If you want to come from a little further than that, sure, good to have you as well. You know, Lake Conroy area has a lot of beautiful gardener homes that just I always like visiting up in there. Swing by, let's talk about some of the things going on on your area. I hope you will always like to meet folks that listen to Garden Line. While you're up there, you can stop in because you know, A and A Plants and Produce is always going to have your nitrofoss products like the three step program. I was talking about this earlier. But the three steps are a fertilizer, a weed control, and a disease control one two, three, and it's all done in the fall. The fertilizer is Nitroposs Fall Special. It's a winter riser. What does that mean. It means it's got higher potassium in it and that helps strengthen the plant going into the cold weather. It also means they've got the weed control, which is barricade to prevent the weeds. It's much easier to prevent weeds from ever sprouting and establishing then to wait until spring when they're blooming, choking out, the grass, shading out, the grass taking over, and you're trying to use a post emergent on them. It's better to do it in the fall with barricade. Also in the falls, when the big brown circles appear, brown patch and when take all root rot has one of its main infection periods of the year in the fall, and that's why we have nitroposs eagle turf fungicide systemic. Now ahead of time. You got to do these things ahead of time. Don't wait until the brown circles appear. Do it before they appear. That's early October. Get that done, barricade. Don't wait until the weeds sprout. Do it before they sprout. That's early October. Get that done that way, when they sprout through the rest of October and November. They can sprout even later, but you have that barricade down that's doing the work for you. And then the fall fertilizer. You want to get it down before the grass just it gets cold, and the grass didn't taken much of anything up. Get that done, one, two, three, you're going to find it a hardware stores all over the place to jen Ace Hardware City up on Memorial Drive, Gym's Hardware, Montgomery, Stanton Shopping Center in Alvin, and also Done and enchanted for us. I was talking about them a minute ago. Done in Richmond. They carry the nitrofost products. Let's head out the phones now, and looks like we're going to go to Montgomery and talk to Justin. Hey Justin, welcome to guardenline.
Speaker 11: Hey, Skip, thanks.
Speaker 7: For con hear me great, Yes, sir, so I have I've got some Saint Augustine.
Speaker 22: That's that's hurting pretty bad.
Speaker 4: I sent you.
Speaker 6: I sent you a few pictures via the email.
Speaker 22: Yes, and okay, so it looks pretty good up until I would say, probably about a month and a half ago, I was I was pretty proud of how great it was. And then yes, suddenly a few brown spots kind of kind of started popping up here and there, kind of circular type type or maybe an oddly shaped circle.
Speaker 6: And then they just kind of spread, and now it just doesn't look good at all.
Speaker 22: So I'm trying to, yeah, what I can do maybe going into the ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I'll just mention I did lay.
Speaker 22: Down in the in the spring some of the the nitropoths and kind of per the schedule, and and I think I laid down the preventter and then the natural pos So yeah, yeah, that's all I got.
Speaker 4: Well, all right, so the this is a this is a fast one.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: The bottom line is there may be chinchbugs involved, but there's definitely take all root rot involved in this grass, and both of them kill grass. Some of those areas that are fully brown, I don't think there's a living runner in those areas. Some that are yellow, there's a runner that's soon gonna die even if you try to stop it. But then you do have some areas where you can it'll prevent the progression by getting down a product to control it. I mentioned the nitrofoss eagle funge a side. I would do that. I would just go ahead and do it right now. Let's see you are yeah Montgomery, Yeah, I would go ahead and do that right now. Get that eagle to a funge a side down. You may need to. In fact, I would repeat Eagle again in late October or early November, just because we got to shut this down as best we can. I would grab a product that contains micros in a sprayable form, and you just have to you know, you are up in the Montgomery area, by the way, Come by and see me today at A and A Plants and Produce and bring me a sample of that. I want a sample of sick grass, so I want it to be yellow but still alive. Well, four by four plugs slick goodness, Slip it into a quarter gallons uplock and bring it by. Let me look and one hundred percent here, I'm about ninety five, but let me be one hundred percent. Heure, I'll take a look at the sample there. But a micro sprayable I know Ferdlom has one. I don't know the name they put on it, but it says micronutrients on it, and that is basically like an IV for grass that's lost its root system. To get the nutrient right into the grass. Put it on a hose, end sprayer, get it sprayed, and be ready to do it again this fall and again. What we're trying to do is stop something that is very far pro grassed right now to save whatever grass we can, and you're gonna need to plug. Be ready to plug some in next next spring, okay, I will.
Speaker 11: Hey, skiff, thank you.
Speaker 4: I really appreciate it. You bet. We're late enough now to where chinchbugs should be declining. But you might get on your hands and knees and look in some of the areas that are still green and see if you see some. If you do, let me know if you're able to come out today and we'll talk about those out there. Thanks, thank you for that all, folks. I got to go to a break. I'll be right back. ACE Hardware Store, you know, is the place to go for the fertilizers that I'm talking about. It is the place to go for some of the soil blends that we talk about here on Guardline. If I talk about control pests or diseases or weeds. ACE is going to carry those products because they make sure that when you walk into an ACE, whether you need stuff were inside the house, you know, paint and plumbing and lighting and all those kinds of things you would expect from a hardware store, you can also walk outside the house and get everything you need to and that would include the fall fertilizer that's needed to be put down now. Your local Ace Hardware stores got them in stock. The fall fertilizers I recommend on garden Line are there at the forty Ace Hardware stores here in the Greater Houston area. Go to Ace Hardware dot com, find the store locator and find the store near you. I've griped about mosquitos earlier at my house, Well they've got the mosquito dunks there and they've got other kinds of foggers and things. If you want to have a little out are gathering and the mosquito are still around, you can take care of that. Fall is the time to control fire ants. You knock them out in fall with a bait. That's very important to get that done soon because then coming out in spring you will have significantly reduced, if not eliminated, the fire ants on your property. So whatever you need for the outdoors to make them enjoyable, Ace Hardware's got you covered, including I love to talk about the barbecue pits because they have so many cool ones and I love doing outdoor grilling, especially in the fall months. At ACE Hardware you're listening to Guardenline, and we're going to head out now to Robert and Conroe. Hello, Robert, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Are you skipped?
Speaker 13: Can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 14: Sir?
Speaker 4: Hello, Yes, I'm here. Can you hear me.
Speaker 14: Yes?
Speaker 13: I have construction built in May and uh, you know it's all fresh sawd But I pulled out the live oak and I gave it back to the builder, and I put in a red bud forest PNC okay, and beautiful red bud purple burgundy leaves around my stade.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 13: And but to keep to keep that sod alive, I've been watering like crazy and uh and I think I'm over water in my forest pans.
Speaker 4: All right, here's what you need to do to keep sod alive. You just have the water a little bit. You don't need to create deep drenching of the soil. You're just trying to keep those upper a few inches moist, okay. And so when you water, if you're water in every day, you're not putting an inch and a half on every day. You're just putting a little bit on each day to keep that side. And as the temperatures cool off, you can way back off that. But the demands right now, we're just trying to get a root system from the sod into the ground, and all that takes is enough moisture to have available moisture for those roots. More is not needed.
Speaker 13: Well, I'm more concerned about my forest pansy because the leaves are turning yellow and they're dropping off and it's not even you know, the first day of ball yet.
Speaker 4: Well, transplanting could have been part of the reason for that. There's always a little bit of a transplant shock when you do a plant. Let's hope that's what it is. There's nothing to do right now for it, other than to make sure the root ball has moisture. But it's not soggy, and you're gonna have to go out and the best way to find out is just dig down beside the rootball where the old root ball was, where it was just put in the ground, and feel the soil and if it's moisture good, you're good. But all you need is water that root ball for right now, you're just trying to keep it alive until it gets roots in the ground and then as soon as you can back off the lawn watering. You know, in a couple of weeks, you can be already backing off that lawn watering. So I can't tell you if it's too wet or not wet enough, but I can tell you the root ball in this ninety degree temperature is pumping water fast. And even though the soil is moist around it, that root ball, the only roots that tree has, or that cylinder that went into the ground, that's only they haven't moved into the soil yet. So you got to keep water in that cylinder spot that went in the ground. That that's my best advice for you, Robert.
Speaker 13: And then I've found a little looking spider with white dot on the tree.
Speaker 4: No concern and no concern. Spider's not a concern, No, not at all, not at all. Well, it's it's okay. I mean, if the whole tree loses its leaves, that's a concern for the reasons that I you know, I'd already mentioned. But all that's in your power right now is to make sure the root ball stays moist but not soggy wet, and and and and I think I advised you on the my best suggestion for how to do that, I've got to run show for some of the calls. I wish you well. I hope you can save that to you. That is a beautiful, beautiful type of red bud. I think you've picked a good one. Thanks for that call very much. You know, the storms you had this summer scared folks a lot because we went for a long time without power twice this summer. And everybody's interested in the generator, and for good reason. It's good to have a generator, a whole house generator, especially in quality home products. That is what they do, that is what they specialize in. You can get a quality generat generator. They got some trade in specials. Just when you call them, ask them about that. It's seven one three quality. The reason I talk about quality home products. You can buy generators from a lot of places. Quality home products put you in the generator you need. They do all the work to get it done for you. They have their own contractors in house. They don't hire people like a lot of places do to come in and do electricity or do this or do that. They take care of that and they take care of the customers. After the sale. They continue. You can have them come out and make sure that thing gets maintained. And taken care of. That's why they have over fourteen thousand and five star reviews and they've won the Better Business Bureau's Top Customer Service Award eight times. Quality Home Products go to qualitytx dot com or doll seven to one three quality. I'm going to run now out to sugar Land and we're going to talk to Debbie. Hello, Debbie, good morning.
Speaker 5: Hi. I'll try and make this quick. I am I'm having issues with my yard. And I was totally convinced it was grubworms because when I reached over to pull up the dead grass, it came up a lot of it, you know, all the runners, and so now I'm kind of questioning it. After listening to you, I'm like, do I have root rod or fungus or grubs? Is there any way to tell?
Speaker 4: Well, if you take a square foot of sod and slide little shovel underneath it, just like you're going to lift it up, and you look right there in the soil, it would take five to seven grubs per square foot for that to be the problem. Root rots are very uncommon on your on your turf. I would think it's not a root rot. Okay, Well, I did.
Speaker 5: Well it was fung aside grubs root rot. But let me tell you this. I did the shovel in between the good grass and the bad grass. Somebody suggested that put it on the edge of you know, and I did that in three different spots, and I really didn't see any grubs. But does the grass do the same thing if it was fung aside? Would it pull up in big sections when you reached your hand down to grab it, because there's all the roots.
Speaker 4: Are When you say pull up, are you talking about all the grass blades come off of the runners or are you talking about the runners themselves all come up?
Speaker 5: All the runners come up? Huge spot, go ahead?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, it could be grubs, but again it's going to take five to seven to do enough damage per square foot in order for grubs to be the cause and warrant treatment. We are really late to be treating for grubs. In fact, I would say too late at this point to be getting anything out of a grub treatment. It could be taken root rot could be a number of things. Let's see, you're located in where, oh you're done with sugarland?
Speaker 5: What's your belt going to take us out?
Speaker 4: Looking? Well, I tell you I just don't think it's grubs. If it pulls up real easily, I think it may be take all root rot or it could be a combination of both. One doesn't eliminate the other, but I think it's take all root rot. You may want to take a little section of it in the six zone and and put it in a zipli gallons up lock and take it over to Southwest Fertilizer and have them take a look at it there and see what they see. Uh my guess is take all and they either way it is, they're gonna have the product, the right product for it. That'd be my best, quick guest. Unless you want to jump in a car and go on a little vacation today and come up to A and A Plants and Produce in Montgomery, bring me your sample. I'll be happy to look at it for free.
Speaker 5: I wish I could.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Okay, all right, well thanks just so much. Yeah, yeah, sure, I tell you what see you were in. Let's see, sugar, I'm going to be in Wharton, Texas next weekend, which is down in your area. Well still a drive, but it's at least southwest, So anyway, at the Wharton feed ace hardware. So if you want to wait and do it, then all.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 4: That's that's talking to you. Bet. Thank you. Debbie. Appreciate the call. I appreciate that very much. H RCW nurseres is the garden center up there where Beltway eight and two forty nine come together. Now you know RCW. They've been there a long time. They're the place to get fruit trees. They're the place to get roses, selection aroses longer than any I've ever seen, the place to get color plants and house plants even. I mean, they have it all right Now, I want to talk about their trees because they grow their own trees up in Plantersville. They've got fifteen percent off trees at our CW Nursery. That is an outstanding sale. They have a large variety of trees too, every kind of tree that needs to get planted here, they've got them. Okay, seven gallons all the way up to two hundred gallons. And by the way, yes, you don't have to pick up a two in our gallon tree. They'll complant that. They'll come plant trees for you as well. They got Mexican white oaks. There are some gorgeous other magnolias. Just swing by there and check them out. But do it now for two reasons. Fifteen percent off and there is not a better time to plant these trees than fall. It gives them the most time possible. We were just talking about that red bud that Robert had planted up in Conroe. You know, when you get a plant planted in the fall, it has until next summer to get that root system ready to go for summer so it can survive and you're not watering just the cylinder like we were talking about, by the time it gets hot again. RCW Nurseries, Tomball Parkery go to RCW nurseries dot com. RCW nurseries dot com. We're gonna head up to Magnolia now and talk to Mike. Hey, Mike, Hey, Skip Hey, how can we help?
Speaker 18: Got about a one year old peppermint peachtree I got at the arbor gate and I'm looking for some advice on what to fertilize with and frequency.
Speaker 4: Okay, I would treat that tree like it was a lawn. The main thing you're going to want to do is when spring comes and new growth is beginning, you want to fertilize it, and I would use just a turf type fertilizer. Arborgate has one there they've got as part of their one two three system. You can grab that, you put it out there on it. I would put about two cups per inch of trunk diameter of the Arborgate fertilizer. Okay, sprinkle it in a circle a little bit wider than the branch spread of the tree. Okay. So if you got one that's the size of a broom handle, we're gonna say that's about an inch thick, So we get two cups. If you got one, when that tree is the size of a coke can, it's going to get about six cups a fertilizer because it's about three inches in diameter. Just use your thumb and use the trunk of the tree to tell you for every thumb with but two cups of Arborgate fertilizer on that tree. Be with us our phone number here if you'd like to give me a call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four, or if you like to dial by letters. Make it easy seven to one three two one two kt r H. That makes it easy, easy to do. We're happy to visit with you about whatever kinds of things we can do to help you have success. I was telling you earlier about Nelson plant Food. They have the car carbo Load, which is their fall fertilizer. And the reason they call it carbo load is infall, your grass hopefully is producing carbohydrates which helps it be winter hardy and helps it have the energy to take off in the spring. That's why they call it carbo load, because it helps your grass to do just that. Now all, they also have a product that I want to I want to tell you it. It's called Nelson Nutristar Genesis. Genesis is a transplant product. It comes in a plastic jar with a screw top load. If you will use it anytime you're transplanting a plant to mix in to the soil of what you're putting the plant into. So, for example, I used to I've told you this, I've used it before for tomatoes. You buy a little six pack of tomatoes, you bring them home, and you're going to grow them out a little further, maybe put them in four inch pots or something bigger. You just mix this genesis into that potting mix and then transplant them into it and they will do very well. You can do that with a a container of plants, a patio container. Anytime you're going to plant a patio container of plants, puts some Genesis nutri Star genesis from Nelson's into that mix. If you're gonna put a rosebush in the ground, same thing, mix it up in the Normally I will tell you don't put fertilizer in the planting hole. This is an exception. This is a natural type fertilizer. It's loaded with microhizo backteria other fungi. It's not going to burn your roots. And you're not just dumping it and then setting the plant on it. You're mixing it into the soil around that plant and then putting the plant in the ground and you will have success. Just another quality product from Nelson Plant Food and they have a good stock of those Nelson products also up there at Ana Plants and Produce, which is on the east side of Montgomery on Highway one oh five, where I'll be today from twelve to two. Twelve to two, So come on out, let's head to the phones now and we're going to go to Friendswood and talk to Costas Hello, Costas, Welcome to garden line morning.
Speaker 14: It's a great day to day here.
Speaker 4: How you bet fine?
Speaker 14: I have a question. I have some citrus trees, which well, they died in twenty twenty one or so I thought. Once the oranges and the tangerines were gone, the rootstock started coming up, and I was thinking of grafting it with some other citrus variants. Its September October, bed time to think about grafting, or should I wait until February March.
Speaker 4: I I'd wait a little bit. In the spring, you can do a tea bud to graft them. It's budding them, same idea, but during the cool season while they're not growing very much and starting to grow a little bit in the spring where it's not cold anymore it's warming up. Then you could do also a cleft graft. That's a different kind of graph. Citrus tea buds and cleft graphs are both good ways to go. Depends on how big I think stock is.
Speaker 14: It's actually it's it's about four years old and it has grown about five feet four feet and uh, I was thinking of using the cleft versus the t but and I have a little piece of equipment that can clip actually the scion from the tree and then clip the the the negative if you will at the uh, yes, little stock and then join them.
Speaker 4: Yes, and so left. But I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 14: So that means I can do cleft now or wait until spring?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could uh it it actually are the are these and containers are in the ground. I didn't catch ground in the ground. Yeah, I think I would wait until spring. You could try one now if you want to, and then if it didn't work, just go down a little lower and try it again on the spring.
Speaker 14: Best part I could do that.
Speaker 4: Thanks, all right, thanks scus appreciate. I appreciate here, Yes, sir, you bet that's good.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 4: I talk about all these products all the time, and and people often say where do you get it? Where do you get it? And who has that? And sometimes these products are kind of specialty that I'm talking about. You know something that's just not for sale everywhere. Well, if you go to Southwest Fertilizer, it's for sale there. I mean, if it's a product that works, it's on the market. Bob's going to have it, because, as I like to say, if he don't have it, you don't need it because he has everything every kind of product you need. Do you grow organically or do you just grow however, organic or synthetic. Either way, Bob's got that all the lines of fertilizers that we promote, and then some he has herbicides, fungicides, insecticides. You need a tool. Do you need mulches and composts and soil amendments like the asmight I talked about, or Nature's Way or airlim soils. They've got all that kind of thing. Even has some plants out front seasonally, the kind of plants that are appropriate for the season. We're coming to the end of mower season. Why you go by there, just drop off your more blades, have them sharpen them in the back. Have they have a little repair shop for all kinds of you know, lawn care equipments. Yeah, you go to Southwest Fertilizer, give them a call first, ask them the questions you need to ask seven to one to three six six six seventeen forty four seven one three six sixty six seventeen forty four Southwest Fertilizer dot Com. Head now to Cleveland and we're going to talk to Cynthia Hello, Cynthia, good morning.
Speaker 9: How you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm well, thank you.
Speaker 9: I just want to thank you. I learned so much from your set, your Saturday show.
Speaker 5: I love being outside.
Speaker 9: I love messing with my plants.
Speaker 23: But the issue I'm having right now is I have althea's and rows of sharing and week before last they were just beautiful, blooming like crazy. Their leaves really looked good. And now I've got several of them that leaves all just kind of turned yellow. The flowers just kind of wilted, and it's they look like they're gonna die.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to do with them.
Speaker 4: Very strange. I would check the soil, see if it's soggy wet down there. Do you just dig down a few inches, a little bit out from the bush, not too far. How long have these been in the ground.
Speaker 23: I just planted in the last spring, so they're still there's still small there, may be about maybe about two foot tall.
Speaker 4: Okay, well they you know, I have noticed a lot of plants are starting to do that, especially when they get a bit on the dry side. And we're still having really high demands with ninety degree temperatures on these plants. Right, I think that's probably all it is, just a little bit of an early leaf drop. I've got some crape myrtles that are doing the same thing because I'm kind of chinchy with the water, and so I think that they're probably going to be okay based on what I've heard from you. There's no other info or situation going on there. They're probably gonna be okay.
Speaker 24: Okay, good good.
Speaker 23: I didn't know if I just needed to just stop watering them all together, because I'm like you, it's been so hot that you go out there and they're kind of wilted a little bit, so you give them water and then it's like, okay, I don't want to kill them.
Speaker 4: Well, right, do the little ghettle trial dig down four to six inches, feel the soil, and that'll be your answer right there.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, all right, thank you.
Speaker 4: So good luck with that, Cynthia, thank you for the call. It's time for me to run to a break and I will be back for our last segment of this hour in just a moment. And when I come back, Freda and Chuck you, hey, welcome back to Garden Line. I appreciate you listening in today. We have plenty of more things to talk about, So hang with us here. We got ways to go yet. If you need your lawn air raided, I'm talking about the core aeration where you pull the plug out of the ground and drop it on the surface of the swell. That's the proper way to air air a lawn. And then accompost top dressing. B and B turf Pros is somebody you need to know about now. They serve the south and southwest part of the listening area, so they go all the way from over around Pasadena, all the way over toward Sugarland direction, and all down through that area. If you've kind of follow Highway six down through there, that's prime time for them.
Speaker 13: B E.
Speaker 4: Turfpros dot Com is their website, and I give you that because you need to go see the work that they do. Bbturfpros dot Com seven to one, three two three four fifty five ninety eight. They only use products and companies that I trust here on Guardenline. So for example, the quality top dress material compost top dress material is coming from cenamultch That tells you right there that it is a high quality product and they focus on that. They don't cut corners on that they are all about customer service. It is very important to them that they go above and beyond and not just come out to your house and do it and run off. They want to make a personal connection with the clients and they want to make sure you are satisfied with the work they do. That's why I'm very enthusiastic about having them as a sponsor here on Gardenline. Bnbturfpros dot com or excuse me, BnB turf Pros is the name of the company. The website doesn't have the end. It's bb turf pros dot com. And the phone seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. We're going to go now to Frida in Pasadena. Hello Frida, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: And thank you. I had a sister in law who she's much more of a gardener than I am, but she gave me what she called a butterfly plant. And I was out watering the grass and I noticed a little what I thought was a little butterfly, a little tiny butterfly, and I told her I was so excited because the blue of the plant and I thought I had a butterfly. She said, no, that's a I think she called it a sode worm that she said it'll kill they'll kill your grass and nothing fast.
Speaker 4: So okay, how big was it?
Speaker 21: What?
Speaker 4: Yeah? How big was it? What color?
Speaker 8: It was?
Speaker 24: White?
Speaker 21: And it was that's the size of it. Maybe maybe a quarter, not quite as big as a quarter.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, that wasn't a side web worm. There are a lot of different moths that are out there in the landscape. Side web worms are going to be dark, almost a town brown kind of color, and they're going to be small. They're the size of your you know, your little fingernail, just about I mean, they're not very big. And yeah, so yeah, I don't I don't think that was it. Now, if you walk through your lawn and there's all these little moths like I described that are just taking off and they fly a little bit and they settle back in the lawn as you're walking, that may be side web worms, but they're they're not white, and they're not that big.
Speaker 21: Oh I had a little bone Offut I don't know a little math.
Speaker 4: There's a hundred billion types of moths out there, So yeah, yeah, I just don't think it was side web worm. Based on what you said, But but do what I said, walk through the lawn and if you see what I'm describing, then maybe side web worms.
Speaker 21: Yeah. Well, she told me the same thing, and I went out, walked through the lawn and I didn't see anything.
Speaker 9: She told me the same thing.
Speaker 21: Then you just gave me the wrong color, I guess, not the thing, I guess.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 21: I had a hibiscus, you know, and I talk to you about this, and it did have meal mealy worms or meta bugs, And like you said, I just went in and pulled all of my good a even took the plants out with the roots and picked off meala bugs and then I used okay, the alcohol on you know, some cotton on it, and I even sprayed with it. She what she gave me. But uh, and it's looking pretty good. But it's getting some yellow leaves every now and then. So that's that's what I was concerned about, is the yellow leaves.
Speaker 4: Okay, Uh, Well that if it's the older leaves, the oldest ones as you go down the branch toward the bottom. Uh though that's not unusual on those, they go through fluctuations and so moisture and the older leaves will turn yellow plus we're hitting we're on the doorstep of fall. Some of those leaves are pretty old and and they're they're going to come off. If you're just losing a few leaves, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure the so moisture stays out of quickly moist Okay.
Speaker 21: Okay, Well there's too some of the little ones flecked out there? Was it because I didn't have water in that or something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you what. I'm going to put you on hold and our my producer will give you an email. Send me some pictures of those in good sharp focus, and if I see anything, I'll let you know. Thank you very much, Fred. I appreciate your call, and I know you're enjoying that, uh, that plant very much. That's a beautiful plant, all right, folks.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: Our phone number is seven one three two one two k t RH. For those of you out in the Kingwood area. Oh my gosh, you got Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Gardens. They got new citrus in incredible selection. They got new fig trees in including some varieties you may not have heard of before. Fall vegetables around, new shipment of cactus and some really rare things like the variegated chin cactus. Yeah, I know you haven't heard of that one, and ghost cactus have arrived there. If you've got a planner, they've got all the plants you need to create a beautiful fall planting. Or how about this, drop your planter off and let them do it for you. They can do that as well. Five dollars off Microlife, five dollars off Microlife brown Patch and also sweet Green from Nitrofoss and asamite through the end of this month, so time's running short on that one. Pick one of those up, you know you need those anyway, five bucks off a bag. And then there's just a plain little sale on Bugginator and Nitrofoss, superturf and other things. And a great thirty percent tree sale for limited time on any of the trees they carry, and they have some beautiful trees. And also while you're there, grab you a tree hugger to hold on to those trees and help them stand firm enough to get well well established. We're going to head out now to Spring and talk to Chuck. Hello, Chuck, welcome to garden Line. Good morning, sir, how are you and well? And I got your pictures. You know, you want to know what that is. Yeah, that's spurge, prostrate spurge, spurge. If you look at the picture you sent me, every little bump on there is either a flower or a seed pod. And that's why spurge is such a problem. It produces a bazillion seeds and they come up, and so the only thing you can do for it is pull it up. And if it's in the bricks, you can do what they call flame weeding, those little devices that hook up to approping little propane canister, and you can do that, or put a pre emergent down a barricade from nitrophoss. Spurge is listed. Prostrate spurge is listed on the label of barricade. Spurge likes warm weather to germinate. So you don't go ahead.
Speaker 25: Oh, I was just gonna say, I haven't. I've got my barricade, so we're already there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, you can put barricade down for fall, for your cool season weeds, but for spurge next spring in early March, put the barricade down and then I would apply it again about sixty days later, maybe little maybe ninety, but somewhere in there sixty to ninety days, depending on how much you use the first time. Put barricade down again, and that helps prevent that spurge from getting started. So coverage first, it's good, and even.
Speaker 25: Because this is the first time I've had to deal with it since we lived here, which has been decades now, and I realize everybody's going through it. Is there a liquid Oh yeah, they can help me.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a liquid form of that, but I don't know where you would get it. Even the granules. Fine, you put the granule out, you water it in, and the product comes off the granule and goes into the soil surface. So just get the regular barricade. That's all you need, you bet.
Speaker 25: Thank you for putting a fresh fu.
Speaker 4: All right, mine, Thanks appreciate that check. Good luck with getting that under control. That can be a challenge. Hey, folks, I want to mentioned earlier the OBA program so you want to grow food is October fifth, from eight to three thirty. What I didn't tell you is if you want more information and to register, go to obaonline dot org, h b A online dot org. Today from twelve to two I'll be at Ana Plants and produce in mongomery. All of you up northn part of the listening area, come out and see me. Let's talk. Let's help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape.
Speaker 1: Our H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Scip Richter's.
Speaker 16: Just watch him as All.
Speaker 4: Right, folks, we're back in the saddle again. Listen, we got one hour left today and we are going to hit the ground running here this hour to answer your gardening questions. I was outside enjoying my feeders. By the way, the hummingbirds just keep bringing their friends to my feeder. I started off with one hummingbird, and then later there were two and they just sitting here looking around yesterday and out in front taking care of some lantanas I have, and they're there. They're on a vitex that I have out there. I've got a turk's cap, which is a native plant with big red flowers. You know, hummingbirds love that. It's like a neon sign for them. And then of course at the feeders, if you want to attract hummingbirds, go buy Wallbirds Unlimited and get there. They have a number of beautiful hummingbird feeders now work, but I have the High Perch. It's my favorite one. I actually have a couple of different models from them and they work well. You can go to WBU dot com, which stands for Walldbirds Unlimited WB dot com Forward Slash Houston Forward South Houston tells you the six Wallbirds stores here and it is bird time. I mean there are the orioles have been coming through. We of course got the hummingbirds feeling up to cross the Gulf of Mexico. There's always things to be done there at Wabirds Unlimited. I was down at the One and Clear lag the other day and a couple of people were in their shopping. What kind of feed we'll keep the squirrels out?
Speaker 14: Well?
Speaker 4: There, I feed with pepper in it, both the cylinders, the little hard cylinders that the birds peck the seeds out of, and loose bird seed to keep the squirrels out of your bird feed I've got a squirrel excluding feeder from Wild Birds. It is my favorite bird feeder that I own because it really works, and I think I get as much enjoyment watching the squirrels not be able to get into it as I do watch the birds getting into it. But all of that's from wildbirds. That's the place you need to go. You will be inspired, I promise you. In fact, I might out our will warn you. It can be addictive. It really can. It's a lot of fun bringing music into your landscape. We're going to go to northwest Houston now and talk to Debbie. Hello, Debbie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 9: Hi, good morning, Thank you for taking my call. I have two quick questions I believe I have. It looks like birds of paradise. It's a very tall succulent in it plants, and it has a white, fragrant flower and it's beautiful.
Speaker 8: Right now, When can.
Speaker 9: I cut that back? Because it's kind of out of control.
Speaker 4: You say it's a bird of paradise.
Speaker 9: I think it is. It's almost looks like a gladiola, but it's white, and it is a beautiful flagrant flower. It's succulent. How I mean, I don't know when I should cut it back.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm just not for sure that we're talking about the same plant. But in general, if you've had it more than a year, did it die to the ground in the winter or did it.
Speaker 9: Stay above and then it came right back.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, I would wait until it dies down, and then I would cut it back. Cut the dead out sometime after it dies down, if you can stand to look at it all winter with the dead stuff. Sometime that dead material helps protect the base of the plant a little bit. Or if you want to, just cut it out so it looks better and then throw a little bit of a little bit of multa over the base just to kind of insulate it a little bit. That way, whichever plant we're talking about, we've were covered. We've got our basis.
Speaker 24: Great. Okay.
Speaker 9: Second question, I have a beautiful laurel oak and I can't find another one anywhere. I guess they don't grow them anymore here. What would be comparable to a laurel oak?
Speaker 21: Would it be a willow oak?
Speaker 9: Something with little bitty leaves like this one? Unless you know.
Speaker 4: Where I can get Well, have you tried, RCW?
Speaker 9: I have, and they don't have it.
Speaker 4: Yes, they didn't have it. Okay, Uh, let's see laurel oak. I say, what, Yeah, well, yeah, it will. Maybe they may have run into some issues. I don't know, but I would call them and ask him about it and ask them what they would suggest as a replacement that fits that description or and they would be I'm sure they'd be happy to point you to somewhere else that might have it. If they don't, I would go back to them because they are more up to date on who carries what and what they carry and everything than I am. But that you went to the right place to begin with, because rcwas to go for those.
Speaker 9: Okay, thank you so much. I appreciate it, all right, thank.
Speaker 4: You, all right, Debbie, thank you appreciate that. Uh. You know I I talk about the Nitropos three step program. It's a it's a fertilizer that is a fall fertilizer. It's called Nitrofoss Fall Special. The mix and nutrients in it is perfect for giving your grass winter heartiness and supporting initial growth in the spring. Second step is weeds Nitrofoss barricade. You have to get it down before the fall weeds germinate, which would then become your big time weed problems in the If last spring you had weeds that were just taken over the lawn, those would have been prevented by an October fertilization. Excuse me, October barricade application because that's the germination window. So do that. Number three fungicide eagle turf fungicide. It's systemic. Again, you got to do it ahead of time. Listen. We control and disease control is like playing baseball. I bet you're wondering, where's he going with us? Here's how it's like that. If you're batting and you wait until the pitcher has the ball in his mitt, it's too late to swing. Is that that makes sense? Right? You gotta swing before the ball gets to you in order to hit it right, because here comes the bat and here comes the ball and they meet and go over the fence. Nitrophiz barricade and nitrophas eagle or that way you want to hit the home run. You got to get them down. So when the problem shows up, when the weed is starting to germinate, barricade is saying no, no, no no no. When brown pat or large patch or take off patches trying to infect eagle is a eagle, turfundicide is saying no, no, no, no no. That's how that works. Nitrofis Texas three step widely available. You're going to find it added in Chennet Gardens. You're going to find it a shade of Texas up there in the woodlands, plants for all season. Talmball Parkway is going to have it. A and A plants and produce another place you can get nitrofoss product products like the three step you know. I'm going to be at A and A today, by the way, from twelve to two. Please come out and see me if you live in that area, if you got plant samples, bring me. You're tired, you're weary, you're suffering, masses yearning to be diagnosed. I will help that and provide you something to remedy the problem that you might have. Because A and A's got all the Nightfis products, all the Nelson products, all the micro life products, all the airloom soils, Nature's Way, leaf mold compost fine, and they have the whole thing. They got to clean up. A crew that'll come in and fix up your landscape for you up there in the If you were in the Conroe area, just come out to an A. Let's talk, let's f forget what's wrong, Let's suggest some plants for you. Let's have a good time. And while you're there, grab your night Foss three step program. Let's head out now to Rose Sharon and we're going to talk to Susie. Hello, Susie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 24: Hell are you?
Speaker 4: I'm doing what I'm doing well? Hey Susie, I'm I'm coming up on a hard break. I keep doing this. I get so excited taking calls and then the producer says, you need to shut up. Skip, We got to go to break. Can you hold just for a little bit and I'll come right back to you.
Speaker 15: Sure you love me?
Speaker 4: Funny song. Hey, You're back with garden Line and I'm back. We're going We're going to talk about all kinds of things in the last segments we got today, I got a lot more information I'm trying to get to here. First of all, I want to remind you that if you are looking for a quality mix for uh growing roses and shrubs, that would be rose mix from Landscapers Pride. You know Landscapers Pride their regional local organization here that transforms what used to be living organic materials into magic for the soil. Rose mix is an example. They have their premium potting mix. It comes loaded with a nutrient source in it. That's just a really good combination. Premium potting mix. Indoor plants. Outdoor plants use the same thing topsoil. You got some lower areas in your lawn, maybe you lost some areas along you're gonna have to reside. Now's the time. Get some landscapers Pride topsoil. Put it out there in the lower areas, fill it up, get it all leveled out so when you're running the mower after you get your new lawn in, you don't hit bumps and gouge out the grass and everything. It makes it smooth and easy. And then finally, of course black velvet mult it's always a good mult is not just for hot weather. Mult is for twelve months out of the year. And black velvet is beautiful. It is not dyed, it is naturally black velvety color and it works really really well. Another product from Landscaper's Pride. And you're gonna find these products all over the place. You know they're widely available. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com find out more about it, or I tell you what how about rundown to Ciena Maltch. Ciena Maltz carries Landscaper's Pride black velvet. You can get it right there. You know, Sienna is a place for quality materials. They you need bulk deliveries and things. Do you need any of the fertilizers that I talk about on guardline. Basically as I say, brown stuff before green stuff, Ciena Malt is the brown stuff place. They're down near Roach Sharon, just north of Roach Sharon on FM five twenty one. I would suggest you right down there their website address because that's the fastest way to find out how to find them, how to call them, and a lot more information Sienna Mulch dot com. Sienna Mulch dot com. You can pick up those fall fertilizers that I've been talking about while you're down there at Ciena Maultch. Friendly Folks is just an easy, easy place to shop and they take care of you and you know when you leave with the product from there, it's going to be a good product that does what it's supposed to do in your garden and in your landscape. Let's see, I'm going to go now to if I can find the right mouse. Susie, thanks for patiently waiting. I'm still doing I'm still too excited to pay attention to the clock. So it's your turn. Now, how can we help you?
Speaker 26: So I have two questions. They have some two year old orange trees in the ground. Last year they froze back, came up from the root. They're about two feet fall now. Now I'm not going to protect them this winter.
Speaker 4: They they froze down how far?
Speaker 26: All the way down and they came out.
Speaker 4: And tell me the plant again that you had.
Speaker 24: Orange orange trees.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, I asked that wrong. What type of orange, what varieties or anything? Do you know.
Speaker 24: Valencia?
Speaker 4: I believe Okay, that was probably grafted, and so when it comes back from the roots, it may be very very thorny, indicating you lost the valencia and now you have the rootstock. Is it really thorny or is it not?
Speaker 24: You know, I haven't really noticed.
Speaker 4: Okay, well go check that because before we get protecting stuff, we want to make sure you still got your valencia. But you may have some shoots and some have thorns and some don't, and the ones with thorns will be coming from lower toward the ground on the stump. If you have a valencia, then you're gonna need to be able to cover it up and put heat underneath it. And if you will go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip you when you get there, you're going to find a publication and yet to scroll down a little bit. It's there if you say view all publications on the website. It talks about just the season to be freezing, that's what the name of it is. And it talks about hair protect plants against the cold, and it gives you all the detailed instructions.
Speaker 24: So there are thorns in it, but it looks like.
Speaker 26: The leaves came out of a main artery and it got more.
Speaker 4: Okay, let me ask you this. So, Susie, when you look at the leaves, are they single leaves or are they in sets of three?
Speaker 24: There's single leaves mostly.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, let's assume it's of Valencia Worth protecting the jury and judge Jury still out a little bit on that one with me. But go to the website find my freeze publication. It's on there. It's free and it goes through all the details of how to cover them, how to protect them, how to add heat underneath the cover, anything you might need to do when it's going to get cold enough to kill that tree again.
Speaker 26: Right, And then my next question is I have a black diamond grape myrtle which is about two years in the ground.
Speaker 24: I cut it back.
Speaker 26: Then the leaves that come out they look normal, and then by now they're all by.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's an insect that's sucking juices out of the plant and basically excreting a sugary substance that's falling on the foliage and then the black soot grows on there. So the soot isn't the problem. It's you got to find the end sec. It could be scale. That's the most likely one is creat myrtle bark scale.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: And that would require a systemic insecticide put down to be taken up so that when the bug sucks juices out of the plant, it's getting poisoned juice from inside the plant, Okay, And that that would be the approach to that. Now the aphids would be the same solution. Could be white flies, mealy bugs, lots of things. Can it can create sooty mold. I think you're probably dealing with creat myrtle bark scale and a systemic would be the solution for that. Now, if you can find an ace hardware stowing nearby. Uh, and there's one over oh gosh, one over in Alvin I know area. Oh great, well then then you're you're good to go. All you need to do if if you're already you know in that area is go over on West Willis Street and Patco Hardware and Lumber is going to have a product. And the ingredient is in meadow cloprid. But instead of trying to write that whole word down, just it's I am, I d O I mid dough and that is the ingredient. That means it's a systemic that you drench into the ground. The crank myrtle takes it up and it will it will kill the scale.
Speaker 24: So is it too late to plant mandibles in the ground?
Speaker 4: Uh? Mendavella's is what you job? Yeah, you know you're pretty far south, but uh it's a little bit risky. That's not a very cold hearty plant at all.
Speaker 24: So I think if.
Speaker 4: You can, yeah, in a pot, you can roll it into the garage when it's going to be cold, you know, and protect it that way. Just need one of those little dollies they call them. Okay, good, all right, Well, sounds like you're set up to go. Hey, thanks for thanks for the call, Susie, appreciate that.
Speaker 24: Thank you.
Speaker 4: You take care you bet psolutely. Yeah, we're talking about ACE Hardware, the one down there Patco, Ace Hardware and West Willis Street. You know Ace Hardware. There's forty of them. So it makes it easy when someone calls and they need a product, I don't care where they are. I just send them to an ACE Hardware because I know at ACE you're going to find every fertilizer I recommend on Guardline, you're going to find all the things you need to control past weeds and diseases out in your landscape to make a beautiful lawn, a beautiful, bountiful garden. Ace Hardware is the place, they say, that's the motto, ACE is the helpful place. Well, it's the place for your lawn and your landscape and your vegetable garden as well. Acehardware dot Com find the store locator. It's as simple as that. Find the one near you, mark it on the map because you're going to want to shop there. We're going to head now out to Bob in Friendswood. Hello, Bob, welcome to garden Line. Hello, thank you. I have two small trees that have problems.
Speaker 10: One's a Cleveland pair and it got a web on it, which I looked on Google and it said it was some kind of caterpillar. So I got the web off and sprayed it with a super soap which seemed to I don't see anything on it, but all of the leaves in conjunction with the web that was created. All of the leaves are black around the edges and slightly curled. And this was about two months ago and they it hasn't really improved.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I'm hearing two things. Maybe I'm not hearing correctly, but tell me if I'm not. The webbing is going to be due to an insect, and it's probably going to be a fall web worm. They can do that. Tent caterpillars do it in the earlier in the season. It could be a fall web worm. If you're seeing black and leaves, then that's due not to the insect, and it should be a different cause than the web That should be due to a disease called fire blight that kills entire shoots. And the leaves don't initially fall off, they just hang their chocolate black brown colored.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's just all around the edges that the leaves themselves are green, but they're still slightly spurled.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, then we're going to go to one more thing. When you see the edges and margins, the tip and margins of the leaf start to brown, that's due to something is wrong in the plumbing of the plant. It can occur due to different causes. For example, if you had borers that were in the trunk that were preventing water from the roots to reach the top, it could cause that. If you over applied a salt based fertilizer and burned roots, you could cause that. If you had drought conditions it could cause that. And if you had soggy conditions so that roots lacked oxen and dyed, you might see a symptom like that. Also, I can't tell you which of those is doing it on your tree, but pears are very prone to that. And in many cases with pears it's not a big deal. It's not meaning you're about to lose the tree. They can show that symptom, but something is stressing that tree. The other thing I would I would just check and watch for is make sure there's not a root at the base of the trunk that is strangling the trunk. That happens sometimes a root grows in a circle around the pot they were growing the tree in, and then they keep moving it to bigger pots, and the trunk gets bigger and the root gets bigger, and suddenly the roots starts squeezing and embedding itself into the trunk. And that also is a problem that's common with ornamental pears like the Cleveland.
Speaker 10: Okay, how do I actually check for that without digging around?
Speaker 4: Go to the base. Yeah, I go to the base, take a little hand trowel, maybe get you one of those squirt pistols on the end of the water hose, and just blast soil out of the way. You're only going to need to dig down about three inches. Looking around the tree, you'll see it. If it's in there. The trunk will have swollen out, and they'll be right below that swelling something that's squeezing in. So it's like it goes out and then it comes back in, and that's a sign of an embedded route.
Speaker 10: Okay, Okay, Well, it sits in the very moist area of the yard, so it may be part of its problem too.
Speaker 4: It's unlikely, but if it's wet enough, that can be a problem. Yeah, it's pretty wet.
Speaker 10: Second problem tree is a small peach tree that we planted. I guess this is its second year. It produced fruit right off of that. Okay, but now it's looking limp and the leaves have turned yellow, and it.
Speaker 4: Just all right. Yeah, I'm going to run to a break. When we come back, let's tackle the peach tree. When. Look forward to helping you with that, folks. I'll be right back. Good to have you with us today. We enjoy talking to you about the things that are of interest to you. I want to mention that, you know, talk about brown stuff. And for those of you that live up in the northern part of the area, Nature's Way Resources is right in your backyard. And Nature's Way is the birthplace of things like rose soil and leith more compost for example, and many other types of quality products. John Ferguson started that many years ago and now his son Ian running the place, and the quality just continues with the products that they have. They have got their fungal compost sales still going on. It's called Fungal Friday. Every Friday, you can say twenty percent off of their fungal compost. So that is a very good deal. And remember we talk about leap mool compost as a compost top dressing. Fungal compost is also suitable to use accomplosht top dressing if you don't do that. Also, one more thing. I'm going to be there on the tenth of October Nature's Way Resources. That's Interstate forty five north almost to Conro, right where the road from Well fourteen eighty eight comes in from the left hand side from Magnolia, you turn right and go to Nature's Way. It's called the Fall Festival. They're going to have Latin food, local vendors, certainly plant sales, live music, children's activities. It's going to be a shindig. That is officially a shindig. Go look that word up. I'll be there doing a Q and A from eleven thirty to one thirty and there'll just be a lot of fun stuff going on. So the whole deal itself goes from nine thirty to two at Nature's Way Resources. Here's the phone number nine three six two seven three twelve hundred. Nine three six two seven three twelve one hundred gets stocked up this fall Fall is for building the soil, because fall is for planting twenty percent off fungal compost only on Fridays, but every Friday Fungal Friday sale at Nature's Way Resources. We're going to head back now to I think we were talking to Elizabeth. Is that correct? I go back to the right call. Yes, Hello Elizabeth, Welcome to garden.
Speaker 24: Good morning.
Speaker 3: I have a question. Okay, I have some very big oak trees in my front yard. I live in Sugarland, well it seems, and I've tried all the things like putting compost and putting mulch and all that sort of thing at air rating. But I have an area around that tree that my grass just doesn't want to grow. So I've tried everything, and I'm wondering if I put gypsum mixed in with some compost, willout break up that sort because it's like concrete. I you know, I dig it up. I put the air raidar and all of that, and it still reverts back to this hardness.
Speaker 4: I got you, Okay, Gypsum only helps a clay if the clay is high in sodium, and in your area, I don't think you have really high sodium water when you wash your hands at the sink. Is it like you can't get the soap to come off and they just stay slick even though yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, so I no, don't don't worry about that. You know, the aeration is helpful, but I would always keep decomposing organic matter on the surface of the soil. Always have composts, decomposing, mulch decomposing, And that's the best thing you can do for those oak trees.
Speaker 3: Yes, very enormous. I mean I've lived in this house twenty years and they were reasonable when I moved in, and now they're giants.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, just just make them think they live in a forest. That's what oaks want. Any tree wants to have its the whole ground under the tree covered with rotting leaves and bark and anything else organic.
Speaker 3: I just don't ever, you know, yes, I just don't take it away when you know, rake it up and throw it away. I keep it on there, you know, all those leaves and whatnot that fall down. Yeah, okay, well, thanks very much, I will do that.
Speaker 4: Well, you're doing the right thing, obviously. You moved in and they keep getting bigger. They must like you.
Speaker 3: Elizabe they're huge.
Speaker 27: They're huge.
Speaker 3: They're huge.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you so much, thank you very much. Yeah, appreciate that a lot. Yeah, it is. It is true. Nature knows how to take care of soil. You know, I tell you what. Let me well, I'm gonna come back. I want to talk a little bit about soil and organics and stuff like that. Right for right now, I'm just gonna I want to keep moving.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 4: Microlife fertiliser products. They have a product called Soil and Plant Energy. Soil and Plant Energy is a combination of humic acid and molasses. In other words, microbe food. Microbes love carbon, and when you get humid and fuvic acid combined with molasses, you got some good stuff for the microbe in the soil. It is an excellent product. It's got over sixty three different minerals in it. Very safe. You're not going to burn with it. It's a microlife product. It's natural. It doesn't take much, just two to four ounces per gallon. You can spray the foliage. You can do it as a folier. You can also put it down on the soil, drench it into the soil. Either way is good. It's just another one of those liquid products from Microlife. This one happens to be the hot pink label. You know, I was kind of going by color. I love doing that because it makes it easy you have to memorize a name. Look for the hot pink label. Microlife Soil and Plant Energy go to Microlifefertilizer dot com and you can find out about all their products. And I can tell you this, they are widely available when you are out shopping for places, at places I talk about on garden Line, there is a very high likelihood that they're going to carry the Microlife line of products. We're going to now go to sugar Land and talk to Don. Hello, Don, Welcome to garden Line. Do we have a Don? All right, I'm gonna put Don back on hold. There we'll come back to you Don. We're going to go to Parland and talk to Kay. Hello.
Speaker 5: Okay, Hi you, good morning, Skip, good to talk morning again. Thank you for taking my call. I have I bought a rosemary plant, a small one, and it has grown exponentially, and a friend of mine wanted to get a cutting, and she took a cutting and it's starting to go south. And I just wondered if how do you propagate a cutting.
Speaker 4: All right, So here's what you do. By the way, well, go ahead. Rosemary is very easy, easy to propagate. You want to get new growth out toward the end. Don't get old, chunky hardwood, but it can be a little witty, but out toward the end. You want to take cuttings that are about I would say three inches long, and take the leaves off the bottom half the cutting. Dip that cutting in a rooting hormone. Can buy rooting hormone power powder. I have it any kind of a garden center place. Dip it into the powder and then make a little hole. Take I take a pencil and make a hole in the rooting mix and put it in there so that when you push the cutting in you're not wiping all the powder off, and then just gently push the mix up against it. I will take pearl light and mix it with a potting soil type material, about two or three parts of pearl light to one part of the potting soil. Because you want optimum drainage, not mucky soggy. Needs good oxygen down around that cutting. Put a clear cover over it and put it in a bright area, but not direct sunlight. It needs lots of light, but the sun will cook it inside that clear cover. So if you do all that, rosemary will root. It is a very easy to root plant given that process.
Speaker 5: Okay, well I started out. I took one down close to the base because there were three or four ranches off of that, you know, and I thought, oh, that looks a good one.
Speaker 4: Guess all right, well, good well, good luck, good luck with it this next try. And thank you very very much for that call. I'm gonna run. Let's see what time is that I've been doing this wrong? Old Yeah, I better hold off Don and Ralph. You'll be our first two up when we come back from break here in just a tiny second or two. Stick with us. I got a few more things I want to talk about. I'm gonna make a little room today to address a couple of issues that I think will be very helpful for you. So hang around for tuning in. We got plenty of things to talk about. We're gonna run straight out to talk to Don in Sugarland. Hello Don, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 17: Good morning, Skip. I got two questions. One went over south was fertilizer. I got some celsius and because I've got all of this is your weeds that come up, and especially the Behao grass, and I think it will cut kill the Behayo grass. Uh you suggested man that they didn't have that. But anyway, I said, it's okay to spray as long as you don't and it's not going to absorb into my citrus trees as long as it's passed the drip line.
Speaker 11: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 4: Yes. In fact, if just don't get it on the foliage of the citrus and don't apply so much that you're drenching the soil, that would be a waste of celsius anyway. And it's not cheap.
Speaker 17: No, it's too expensive for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, well all you got to do is barely with the foliage.
Speaker 17: Yeah, okay, But I got all these different weeds that have just I don't know, it's dollar weed and all this other kind of stuff that comes up. Also, there's a little green weed and it has a little yellow insert. I don't know what they called it. I showed them all that stuff. But hopefully that'll kill that. But I have these probably one hundred foot Italian cypress, and I mean they're brown all the way to the top. So I guess it's just they're dead. Just have to cut down they're dead.
Speaker 4: Italian cypress, like junipers and pine trees and other things like that, when the needles are in the case of Italian cypress, a little scaly leaves die. It cannot re sprout from that spot on the branch. You have to have green foliage. So in other words, if you took out Italian cypress and you cut all the branches on one side off, it would always be a dead side the no new growth can come out there. Yeah, so brown, that's one reason why I don't like it.
Speaker 17: Tight go ahead and so the whole tree is dead even though you like cut all the branches off, it would never come back out, correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, any other tree, you know, if you took any tree and you took a chainsaw on turned it into a hat rack, it would just re sprout out everywhere you cut. If you take a cedar, a juniper, an Italian cypress, a pine tree, and you do that, it's going to be a hat rack. It is not able to re sprout like other trees.
Speaker 11: Well, thank you?
Speaker 17: Uh did it in when that drought?
Speaker 6: Not in?
Speaker 17: Water? Is the thing enough in it?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 17: I'll cut it down, all right, all right.
Speaker 4: Well, good luck with it. Thank you, yes, sir, thank you. I appreciate the call very much, Thank you very much for that. I just wanted to make some comments about organics. A lot of times people will talk to me about our like, I want to be an organic gardener, and so I'm going to use organic pesticides, and that's fine, that's part of organic gardening. But organic gardening is in the soil. It's about the soil. That's where the movement began and that's where the heart of it still is. It's not just changing the bullets in the gun, like I'm going to quit buying synthetic pesticides and buy organic pesticides. Again, that's part of the deal with organics, But it's the soil. If you don't get the soil right, you're not You're going to be struggling. Your plants are going to be struggling to survive, and then you do have more disease problems, you do have more insect problems. Begins with the soil. The brown stuff composts in the soil, organic matter, good drainage, quality, nutrient ingredients, and the soil bank account that helped provide it. After that, when you run into problems, Yes, if you want to use inseexticidal soap or some other organic pesticide, that's fine. But don't just start with how to kill the bug, how to kill the disease, how to kill the weed. Start with the soil. That is what organics is all about. I'm gonna run northwest Houston now and talk to Ralph. Hello, Ralph, welcome reguard line.
Speaker 27: Good morning again. I found my front yard. You told me, I guess gonna have to get somebody to soil is so hard in there, and I tried different things and I cannot beat it. I need to get the saint all good thing to grow. And I'm on my bike. You are fine with the front yard, Okay, got to okay.
Speaker 4: Bottom line, Ralph, get get a good core aeration done. Open up some holes into that hard ground. It needs to be moist when they do it, so the the the air raidor can get down in and do it. And then put a little fine dressing, a compost, real fine compost over the whole thing. Let it work its way in. And that is the single best and first thing you can do to get that lawn going again, that's where I would start. Certainly fertilizers important, Certainly water is important, but let's start to work on that hard soil you're talking about, well near the aor yeah, yeah, you can. Sometimes the ones you rent aren't the best ones. You can hire somebody to come in and do it. But if you want to do it yourself, you can find a place to rent one and do it. But it's a lot of hard work to do it. So I would I would recommend hiring somebody.
Speaker 27: I'm fighting this. It's done good and everything else, all right, give me.
Speaker 4: All right, here's what okay, got a penhandy, Yes, got a penhandy two eight one two eight one three five one three five one forty seven thirty three. And I'll give you that again two eight one three five one four seven three three. And the companies called green Pro they do an excellent job and they serve your area. I hope that helps. I'm gonna have to run to another call here, pretty qreat.
Speaker 7: I appreciate it.
Speaker 27: You're good, Joe, Thank you, Bye.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I appreciate I appreciate that a lot. We're gonna go to Tomball and talk to Marianne today. Hello, Marianne. Welcome to garden.
Speaker 28: Line, and hello, I'm calling to find out if you can help recommend a product to control Virginia button weed.
Speaker 5: It's we're really having a.
Speaker 28: Problem with it in our Saint Augustine grass and we can't get control of that.
Speaker 4: Okay. The product I would say will give you the best results is called Celsius, like the temperature Celsius. It comes in small packets. It's not cheap, but a small packet makes a gallon, and a gallon goes a long way because you're not applying it to everywhere in the lawn your spot treating the Virginia button weed. Now we're going into fall. You could try doing it now, but the most important thing is next spring when you start seeing the Virginia button weed, spray it with celsius and be ready to repeat that spray about I would say three or four weeks later. You may have to do a repeat of it. It's not an easy weed to control, but Celsius in research trials has done better than anything else at controlling Virginia button weed.
Speaker 28: Do you recommend somewhere to buy that or do they sell it online?
Speaker 24: Where should I I would go?
Speaker 4: If you're in tombul Arbor Gate. I'm ninety percent sure carries celsius.
Speaker 24: Okay, that's close.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think you're going to find it out there. I find it at d and de Feed as well. But I would start there and and just remember, look at how much you need, because you may not need to use the whole packet. So you could do a half gallon and use half the packet and then you'd have half left to do it again.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, if you've got a five acre lawn and it's solid rudinia button weed, well then you need a lot more than that. But most people, you know, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 28: We do live in a rural area where it's it's about an acre and a quarter. But but it's just it just takes over like carpet. And first we thought, oh, well this is pretty and we can rip it up. But then it comes back with the vengeance and we tried the uh we'd be gone, the work that we'd be gone and it and it killed the grass and then the button we was just coming back. Will the celsius kill the grass as well? Should we panic if we see it die? Or will it kill the grass or no?
Speaker 4: It will not. It will not. Okay, No, it kills. It kills a weed, not the grass.
Speaker 28: All right, Okay, thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You bet, you bet, Marian, thank you very much for the call. I want to take a moment for you right out of time here and just talk about something about fall fertilizing. I talk about it all the time. I say it's important. Here is what you need to know. Through the year, we are pushing our lines with nitrogen. That's what they need the most of spring and summer for good growth and health. When we come to fall, we want them to slow down, and so we are fall fertilizers. The nitrogen is lower, the potassium is higher. That's the third number on the back. First number goes down, third number goes up. That is a fall fertilizer. It creates inter freeze in the grass plant. It creates carbohydrates, and when you do that, your grass is more cold, hardy. But even more important is in spring when the new growth starts out. It's stored energy that's doing that, and that is where the fall fertilization kicks in strong with that new spring growth. Again in the spring, then we begin the nitrogen fertilizers again as things warm up and the grass is growing. But fall fertilization is the most important fertilization of the year. And that's why. All right, folks, you've been listening to Garden Line. I'm about to jump in a car and guess where I'm going to Ana Plants and Produce in Montgomery, Texas on the east side on one oh five. I hope everybody listening up north, certainly northwest. Heck, I don't care where you're coming. If you're coming from Galaston, come on to save me at Ana Plants and Produce in Montgomery. Bring samples. This is your chance to get an eye to eye with me. Diagnostics, recommending products, bring me pictures of that landscape area that aren't doing well. Let's talk. I'm going to be giving away the fertilizer product from and the canisters from Neilson Plat Food, and also some really cool stuff from Medina Products, some of their liquid hose en products. So you come win some stuff there and also pick up the supplies you need today and a while you're there, twelve to two today, be there a B square see you. Thanks for listening to the Guardline. We'll be back tomorrow morning,