Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Cole, I don't know if you're still in the newsroom. I think that was what we would call a fire sale.
Speaker 3: It looks like you don't want to know what the internet has to say about this. I can't say it on the radio.
Speaker 2: It's not good. Yeah, I'll bet, I'll bet that is a tough way for for the season to come to an end. They still have to play. I think it's eighteen games, but.
Speaker 3: Whoa kicking teeth, my goodness.
Speaker 2: Tough to see, tough to see teams, you know, go really dissembled. Yeah, particular Boston. But wait till next year. Training camp starts in September. I'm sure we're rebuilding, building all that. So well, we'll see.
Speaker 3: I just I'm gonna go get a pizza and forget this even happened.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that is a good game plan, very good game plan, let me tell you, better than the room the roof get going. No, yeah, there's still the Celtics and the Red Sox, so we're we still have some things to root for. But that's got a tough way. It's tough for those three guys to have to head off in different directions, scattered to the four wins. Thank you for the counseling, Nicole. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Happy to help anytime I feel like Lucy and Peanuts. You know, therapy five cents, but you're good, I don't have to pay.
Speaker 2: Good night, have a great weekend, Nicole. Good evening. Everybody welcoming, and I'm Dan Ray, the host of Nightside. Mike Templeton is sitting in for Rob Brooks. Rob was not traded. Nope. Rob is not working in some other radio station halfway across the country. He'll be back here on Monday night. Mike is just sitting in for him tonight, and it's going to do a great job for us. We have our Nightside News Update coming up. Four guests, all of whom, well at least three of WM are are going to talk about sub that all of us probably don't know a lot about. And then one is going to talk us at a forty five about a subject all of us know a lot about, and that is how windy and cold has been in Boston. So we're going to talk with doctor Lee Richardson about swearing being linked to increase pain tolerance. Then we're going to talk with a cardiologist turned author about the dark side of organ transplants and what to know. She wrote a novel about this. Then we're going to talk with a consultant for a trade association dealing with hygiene at and clean and cleanliness at hotels about the ten birdiest spots in every hotel room. And then we'll finish up with a quick weather recap and also forecast. And I'll remind you coming up at nine o'clock tonight, we have free tax advice from the night Side CPA himself, Mark Misselback. He is joining us again and he was here about three weeks ago. Any questions you have about the upcoming tax season, Mark will give you some free information, some pre advice, and free guidance. But first I want to welcome back doctor Lee Richardson, who has a doctor as a doctor. She's a PhD in psychology, founder of the Brain Performance Center. Welcome back, doctor Richardson. How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm good and thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. So if this is an intriguing headline swearing linked to increased pain tolerance and strength, well I swear quite a bit, so maybe my pain tolerance is better than I realized. What how did you figure this one out? And what does it say about swearing?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I'm in Dallas, Texas, and when we think about Dallas, Texas, what do we think about the Cowboys and increase excessive swearing?
Speaker 2: I think about I think about the North Stars. I'm a hockey fan, so that's that's what I think about. Okay, well you're talking about the Are you talking about the football team that's almost as bad as the Patriots at this point?
Speaker 4: Well, now, now now you're going to make me swear if you keep talking like, go ahead, no, But you know, swearing evots in motion, and there's there are studies that show that swearing actually reduces pain and that's because it induces that fight flight or freeze that occurs in our body. You know, when something happens and we're not sure how to deal with it, kicks in that autonomic nervous system. Maybe it kicks in those adrenal glands. We start kicking out all that cortisol. We give that adrenaline rush, and it's confusing. Do we fight, do we fight or do we freeze?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that there have been studies that show so that if we let's say we stub our toe and as opposed to saying, oh, corn flakes, we say something a little more interesting. What you're saying is that when that angers hits you, oh I stub my toe. Get you know, you know what I could have said there, that that would have taken our mind off the pain and focused on our frustration. Is that really what you're talking about?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, because you know, you have to think about how the brain works. People remember those taboo words better than they do neutral members words that don't really mean much, you know. And when we stub our toe or when something happens that we don't like, we go into that fight or flight mode and just whatever comes out comes out. And I honestly I have clients that I work with and I think swearing is a way of emotional express Yes.
Speaker 2: It is. And also it said swearing is indicates or is linked to increased strength. How would that be?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's interesting because working in the brain performance world, you see a book with people that have suffer from seizures and epilepsy, and when that brain gets into that disregulated stake, the body kicks in the body provides the survival techniques I had a nine year old that the dad jumped on me and the nine year old and said, hang on, Lee, he's going into a seizure and he's going to throw you across that room. Okay, I'm hanging tight, man. So you know, one thing I think that we tend to forget about a lot is that the brain and the body. It's one unit. It's not the brain upstairs and the body downstairs. The body keeps score everything going on in the brain. And it's interesting to me because research also shows that swearing alleviates alleviates not only physical pain, but social pain as well.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad idea. When I was a teenager, there was a fellow who was a baseball player who I respected a great deal. He was an outfielder for the Yankees. I'm not going to tell you his name, but know him pretty well. And we were talking one day and he said to me, you know, have you started to swear? He was a very decent guy. And I said, not really. And he said, well, you know, he says, well I need to swear. He says, I just say ice cubes. And he said that would be a good habit for you to develop. Well, I said ice cubes, probably for a couple of weeks, maybe a couple of months, but then I eventually gave way to the more interesting words. And I wish in retrospect that I have followed his advice, because it would be great if you had the discipline, the mental discipline, which he had to and he got it. I admire him for it and ice cubes. So maybe I'll try in my later years here to make up for it and start just seeing ice cubes when I get mad or get frustrated. Doctor Richardson, thank you for explaining it, and you explained it really well, and it makes me feel less guilty for all the swears of I have uttered. But I think I'm going to go back to ice cubes. And so there we go, redeveloped that had you ever heard anything like that? By chance of just you pick award.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because for your listeners like history, King William of Orange in England, he when he spoke to the public, he used his native language, which was French, except for when he was swearing, and he did that in English. So he had his own funky way of saying ice cubes.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Interesting, interesting, All right, Well, I'll never forget ice cubes. And I'm glad I had a chance to tell you the story. And I thank you very much for being with us, and we'll have you back. Thanks so much, Doctor Richardson, Thank you, Thanks Bubby. When we get back, we're going to talk to a cardiologist, a different type of doctor, but the dark side of organ transplants and what you need to know. She's also an author. She's written a book called Change of Heart, which seems like it's going to be a very interesting what's called a medical thriller. Christina Laporte, Doctor Christina Laporte will join us on the other side of this break, and I remind you you can always pull down from the web. Just go to your phone and go down to get to the app store and bring down put on your phone on all your devices, the iHeart app, and you can use WBZ as your first preset, so you will have us at the touch of a finger wherever you are in the world. Three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven, you'll have w b Z literally in your pocket. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside. We will be right back on WBZ ten thirty and your am Dial Boston.
Speaker 5: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Very happy to be joined by doctor Christina Laporte. She's a cardiologist turned thriller author. We're going to talk about this book Change of Heart, which has just come out. It is a medical thriller and I haven't read it, but I've read a little bit about it and it's one that I think a lot of our listeners are going to want to pick up. How are you, doctor Laporte.
Speaker 6: I'm doing just fine. Thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome.
Speaker 6: Mom.
Speaker 2: You are a cardiologist, so certainly you were familiar with things of the heart. Uh. And we want to first talk about, I guess the dark side of organ transplants. We just had a fairly well known organ transplant conducted here in New England. They're starting to actually transplant modified pig kidneys uh into patients, not having a whole lot of long term success, but there have at least been some patients walking out of hospitals. Is there a dark side our people? I know that the theme of your book deals with sort of the underbelly of people buying and selling criminals buying and selling people's organs, and I know that in other parts of the world has been some pretty horrific suggestions about this. Is this on the level when people, you know, need a kidney or they need a heart transplant, how do we regulate that?
Speaker 6: Well, I think that the problem is that we have a shortage of organs, and whenever there is a shortage, unfortunately, there's a black market that flourishes. Now, we could do a lot of things. We have done a lot of things to improve the situation, most of all for hearts, specifically for arts, you know, which has to do with the background for my book. For example, now we have a way to transport hearts which permits which really widens the scope of matching and transporting this organ In the past, we were transporting the heart in the cooler, like you know those black and red things, I mean white and red things. You know you take to a picnic and the heart will lasts only four hours. But now we have it's called the heart in a box. And this box has tubes with fluid that is warm and nourishing and goes inside the arteries of the heart, the coronary arteries, and the heart stops beating in the box and it arrives warm and beady, and it can last for twelve hours. So you can match somebody across the country and ship it on the plane, which before you can do. So we have more hearts that way. We also have changed also the the way that we take organs. You know, they in the past we could only take organs from dead, brain dead people, but now we can take them from people who have damage to the brain and the you know, irreversible damage and they had the cardio circulatory arrest, but they're not completely brain dead as by definition. So we've done all these things. But the truth of the matter is that it still is a shortage, and we could do more things to prevent, you know, the illegal sale sale of organs. There's been estimated there is one point seven billion dollars exchange his hands in order to buy illegally obtain organs. One thing we could do is to pay the family and to pay the donor legally pay of course, regulating you know a little bit. The fact that you know, obviously you can't just kill your family, you know, to sell organs there.
Speaker 2: And that does you have to get us to the theory of the book, and I want to sort of weave it in here. You talk about the book deals with an unsolved murder, and again we're not going to give away the whole plot line, but my question is is there how are the criminals getting organs at this point? I mean, obviously someone you know, let let's say someone who's riding a bicycle, uh, for example, runs into a tree and and they are their own life support. Well, the family can agree read to harvest the organs. Uh. But but that's got to be done you know, at a hospital by trained professionals. How can the black market get even access to these organized And I haven't read the book yet, but well, this.
Speaker 6: Is this is just a background in the book, is not really the main problem, meaning the main thing in the book is really cyber crime, which is a more modern way to to actually deal with this situation. But there are criminals force people, you know, they're like slave you know, people in the Third World or in China, they had prisoners that they had political prisoners who were not in prison for for for serious crimes. They were just said, you know, not not going along with the with the government, and and they were forced to make organs against the will, so that's how they obtained organs. And of course the condition in which this this transplant, soeldna probably not very very clean or you know exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, this is this is bothersome. Is this your first book? By the way, the name of the name of the book is simply Change of Heart, and apparently you have developed a couple of characters. It's called a minor in medical thriller. Is this your first book?
Speaker 6: No, this is the second book that gets published, and I've written more books which are coming out. The first book the name was Dissection, and I had the same two characters. But both books can be read. Either book can be read independently because the story is totally different. I just could not give up my characters, and those two characters I like him so captain, and I also kept.
Speaker 2: A lot of very successful authors who carry on. I think you're smart to do that, to be really honest with you. The book, by the way, this one, a Change of Heart, has just been published, as I understand that in January, correct in.
Speaker 6: February, just came out. And there is a there is a mystery in this Yeah, there is a mystery in this book that the heart transplant's number goes up, and obviously the doctor should be happy, but it goes up because the suicide number is going up. And these suicides are committed in a very precise way. People shoot themselves in the head and they avoid the area of the brain that makes the heart beating, so the heart keeps on beating. The brain is destroyed, and they do that in front of a hospital, so the heart can the hardested. And so that's the mystery that carries through the book. And you have to read the book to figure out why, no question.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's available with bookstores and also on Amazon, probably the US way. The book is Change of Heart by doctor Christina Laporte, who's an author and even more importantly, a cardiologist. Well, thank you on both counts. Thank you for the work you've done on behalf of humanity as a cardiologist, and also thank you for the work you've done as an author to provide people with your thoughts and ideas and a novel, Change of Heart. Thanks doctor, I appreciate your time tonight, and thank you for getting the book and I know I'm going to enjoy it.
Speaker 6: Thanks again, well, thank you very much for having me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Thank you my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Now we're ready for the news at the bottom of the hour, which is fine. And on the other side, we're going to well this is going to freak you out a little bit. We're going to talk about a dirty hotel room, the ten Jermyst spots in hotel rooms, hotel hygiene exposed. We'll be talking with a consultant for a trade association that deals with cleaning, hygiene and facility management hotel industry. Back on Nightside, my name is Dan Ray. This is a cold Friday night here in New England. Pull a little closer to the radio and we'll warm me up. We've got a great show coming up tonight. Coming up questions from you about taxes, taxes approach the tax man cometh is about five weeks away and we have CPA Mark Missilbeck, the Nightside Tax CPA, and this is it. We had him on a couple of weeks ago, three weeks ago exactly and on Thursday night, and this will be his final appearance. So get your tax questions ready for Mark Missilbeck during the nine o'clock hour. Back after this on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on w Boston's News radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is Derek OLIVERI I hope I pronounced it oliver era. Is that the correct pronunciation? Derek? Get okay, thank you very much. So you're a global consultant for an organization that the trade Association for Cleaning, Hygiene and Facility Management Industry at hotels. I guess you absolute information that suggests that the hotel rooms that all of us periodically stay in, I'm not nearly as clean as we would expect. What's going on?
Speaker 7: So where would you like me to start that?
Speaker 2: So obviously that's not that is not good. Are you on? Some are used on a speakerphone or on a headset.
Speaker 7: I'm on my headset.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that's uh. Just make sure you got that mic right at your mouth because we're getting a big echo here. So go ahead. It is better, much better what you do.
Speaker 7: Okay, I just took off my headset.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. That's perfect. I appreciate that very right ahead, Derek, okay, thanks so yeah.
Speaker 7: So obviously when we're talking about hotels, you know we're going to be looking at the high touch areas, which are these commonly areas where everyone goes in touch, and those are the ones that we're usually forgetting to clean regularly. So you know, there are ten areas in a hotel room that you want to look out for, and you know we can go over them, and you know, TV controller.
Speaker 2: Let's started. Let's start at the worst area, the area that people should be looking. I mean, I'm assuming you're talking about the bathrooms, but I don't think bathrooms are involved in what you're talking about.
Speaker 7: Well they are, but they're lowered down on the list. The number one item in all hotel rooms is the TV remote control. So obviously you know we're clicking through channels, we're eating, we're touching other surfaces. So the TV control, the TV remote control is the number one area that is unproperly sanitized during routine clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me ask you. Do you figure this out by going in with microscopes? And I'm serious when I asked this question. I mean, that's that makes a lot of logic. But and obviously you're not checking every hotel room in America, but you've checked enough. How do you figure this out? I mean, I assume you're looking from microscopic germs. Is that that's the process.
Speaker 7: So what we do is we go in with black light testing and we do also ATP testing, so we do service testing to see if the surfaces are contaminated with with viruses and bacteria. So that's that's those are our primary tools when we go in the hotel rooms.
Speaker 2: Okay, so who hires you? Is it the hotel that wants to clean or do you do that? Who's who is your You know you work for this company. It's a consulting company. So does a hotel chain say hey, look, we want to do the right thing by our guests and we want you to come in and do a survey. Is that? Is that how it works?
Speaker 7: That's right on exactly. So we have organizations that call us in and ask us to come in and what we call us three hundred and sixty assessment. So we come in and we assess the whole of their operation. So we do obviously cleanliness inspections. We look at their tools, their operations, their scope of works, their training manuals. So we go over the whole thing and then we make sure that they're doing it right.
Speaker 2: By the way, you're a Canadian, I assume right.
Speaker 7: I am Canadian?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: And do you know how I know you're a Canadian. How do you know because you pronounce organization as organization.
Speaker 7: Okay, good to know. I gave, I gave my fluff up.
Speaker 2: No, no, no. I have a lot of friends in Canada, and that's how I because I'm a talk show host. You listen to words and how people pronounce words. And sure, all my friends who have ever played in the NHL and hockey players, they're always saying organization that I'm saying it's organization.
Speaker 7: Go ahead, Derek, Well, I'm out of Montreal, so but one.
Speaker 2: Of my favorite cities, one of my favorite cities. Great city, absolutely great, great city. You get out to Gibbeis on the island, I hope, or get to divisionally every once in a while.
Speaker 7: Absolutely right on. You know you've been here before.
Speaker 2: Your Canadians might make the playoffs. The Brewers just had a fire sale tonight. But let's get back on the topic. Soavy remote Control, give us a couple of the other areas that would surprise us.
Speaker 7: So light switches and lamp controls, so these are obviously obviously overlooked as well drink cleaning, door handles. So you're starting to see a trend here. It's a lot of high touch areas, so you know wherever people are touching the telephone handset. And then we get to your bathrooms. We have the faucets where the light switches in there as well. But one thing you might not know is the shower track. Right, so they'll come in and clean the glass, clean the wall, to clean you know, the shower head. But they're offered. They're often often forgetting is the shower track. So we get mold, We get moldy in there built up. So that is one area that that does does tend to pick up a lot of dirt.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm gonna I'm going to ask you. I don't want to know who your clients are, but I'm going to ask you a couple of questions. And I think you know, there are a lot of high end hotels, you know, the Ritzes and the four seasons, and then there are some you know, middle hotels, and then there are some hotels that are you know, a little less expensive. Maybe what I'm not going to mention those, but I think everybody knows the ones that are costing a thousand dollars a night and the ones that are costing five hundred dollars a night and the ones that are costing a couple of hundred dollars a night and the ones that are costing fifty nine dollars a night. Is there a correlation have you found between the cleanliness in the more expensive hotels and hotel rooms these are the less expensive? Is there a correlation or are some of the less expensive hotel chains doing a better job than some of the some of the high end chains. That's a tough question, but I got to ask it, gotta.
Speaker 7: Ask it, absolutely so. Obviously, you know, these different type of organizations have different budgets, right, so the thousand dollars hotel nights are going to have more budget than the fifty nine dollars hotel nights. But regardless of the type of hotel that we're talking about, if you don't have qualified, trained labor supervision and I could quality control, we'll find the same non compliancy that we find in fifty nine one dollar hotels and thousand dollar hotels. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, In my you know, travels, it appears to me that it doesn't matter how expensive the hotel is. It generally is one person assigned to make up the bed and clean the room. Are they hotels out there that are throwing more people power at this problem and having you know, two or more attendants cleaning the rooms.
Speaker 7: So that's a great question then. So obviously, when we're talking about the cleaning industry, a lot of our calculations are workloading is done in according to how many square foot can it employee cleaning the hour? Right, So it's the more square foot there is the square feet that they're doing, the more they're running, the quicker they're doing their job, and the more corners are cutting. So if you have a good organization, they've done proper workloading, then we're going to give the employees the time necessary to cover the square footage. They're going to cover it in any hour shift. So you know, let's give them the tools, let's not make them run, and let's make sure that they're all, you know, pulling in the same direction with the right amount of hours and the right amount of tools, and they can do the job properly.
Speaker 2: Now, are there any hotels, particularly the hotels that are competitive that there are hotels that advertise on television? Very rarely do you see a four Seasons or Ritz advertising on television because I think they they pride themselves on going to be their high end. But I'm wondering if a hotel chain without mentioning a name, because I'm not even thinking of one, but a hotel chain that would be advertising on television might someday focus and say, look, you want a clean hotel room, come to our hotel because we put an emphasis. You know, the amenities are really nice. They have a swimming pool or whatever. But has any hotel chain, to the best of your knowledge, picked up on the points that you're making, which to me are amazing that with just a little bit extra effort, these hotels could really claim to be the cleanest hotels around or has that already been done?
Speaker 7: So I've never heard of a whole tell come on and say, you know, come to us, we are the cleanest. But there are hotels that have started well sending service right so once you've checked out, you get that email here's your bill, and then you get a little survey how was you know, how was the service? How was the cleaning? Is more? And moral establishments are doing that to get feedback, able to put their finger on you know, see maybe the things that rub clients the wrong way while they were staying and correct them times these people come back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, there's a lot of things that if if the breakfast is sort of cold, obviously that's not good. If if the wait for dinner, if the dinner reservations are constantly late, or you know that sort of stuff. But I do think that there's enough people who are really concerned about cleanliness that you can take this idea and and and sell it or market it. That if there was sort of one of those hotel chains there was out that I was out there and actually spending money to attract you know, folks who are not looking to pay a thousand dollars a night for hotel room and looking for you know, family hotels and all of that, and emphasize that we take the time, you know, and that our hotel rooms are cleaner, are the cleanest around. I'll bet you. I'll bet you that would do help some of these changes as they compete. I mean, there's there's a it's like the bell curve of life. I mean there's there's a couple on one end here the high end, and you've got a couple on the low end that you know or quick hotels fifty nine dollars hotels, but the hotels for families that are maybe one hundred and fifty a nine or whatever depending upon the city, depending upon their location. I think it would be a tremendous marketing tool for them to use your your information and the information that that you've developed. I don't know if that's going to help you, but I think it would help the general public to identify a hotel that really prided it It prides itself on the cleanliness of the rooms, the comfort of the rooms, but also the cleanling.
Speaker 7: Is you're you're spot on, and I think that's part of our our mission as an organization, is to get the word out there and highlight the importance of clanning. It's unfortunately, you know, when we're talking about budget cuts, cleaning is probably one of the first ones that gets affected because a cleaning contract is usually one of your top three expenses no matter what they've been building, we're running, so you know, when we've got to tighten the belt, unfortunately, it comes out of the budgets for the cleaning. But to your point, you know, I've stayed in many hotels you know, from you know, from the ones on the street corner to the ones on the strip in Vegas, and you know, I can tell you that none of them are spared. You know, they all have their own problems that they're dealing with, and unfortunately, you know, I get to stay in a hotel where I have nothing to say.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, Derek, I appreciate your time. You've provided a lot of information. If folks want to get more information. You're a global consultant for company called ia I S s A. Do you want to give out that website? Is are any website that could get people in touch with you?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they can reach us at hihs say dot com and on our consulting paid all our information is there.
Speaker 2: Try try that one a little bit more slowly so everybody could hear it.
Speaker 7: In sure. Our site is issa dot com and we can go you can go on the consultant town and all our information is there.
Speaker 2: Excellent, Derek. I enjoyed the conversation and you've got a great organization. Thank you so much. Pleasure talk again when we get back. We're going to talk about the strong Windnsdaday Brian Thompson accurate. Whether meteorologist is going to join us. If you were out and about today it was as windy a day in Boston as I can remember in a long time. I know that March it's always at windy month. But boys, there's some of the stuff I saw on the news tonight incredible, particularly that oh that that crash, the workspace coming plummeting down the scaffolding next to that building on Exodus Street at a that are in Peacon Street. I know that area. I lived in that area many years ago, and boy, it's amazing no one was killed.
Speaker 5: We'll be back now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I was watching the midday news today in both Channel four and Channel five. They had this big story about some scaffolding and a building on Exeter Street on the corner of Exitter in Beacon Street in downtown Boston. I used to live across the street from that particular building, and the scaffolding collapsed about eleven thirty this morning. It's a it's a miracle no one was hurt because it's an area where there's a lot of not only automobile traffic, but pedestrian traffic. And with us to talk about this extraordinary wind storm that blew through our parts today, as Brian Thompson, ACU meteorologist Brian has been with us before. Brian, I gotta believe today was the wediest day in a while here in New England. If I'm wrong, correct me. But man, those winds were wild today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we had some strong winds just in general. But I think what's impressive is just how widespread the winds were. A lot of times when we talk about winds like we saw today kind of in the sixty mile per hour range, they were more on an isolated basis, but this was pretty widespread. I mean Boston at Logan Airports a sixty two mile prour wing gus will star at a sixty two mile per hour wind gust to New Bedford top gust of sixty miles per hour. Most of most areas northwest, even all the way out toward Fitchburg, We're talking about some sixty mile per hour gusts. So it was it was windy consistently throughout the day. We had some fifty to sixty mile per hour gusts and it was widespread. It was something we saw across much of the area.
Speaker 2: My understanding, and I'm just watching newscast like everyone else show the expert, but my understanding is that the cause of this was a storm that's sitting off the east coast of Canada and it's just blowing northwest winds our way. Is that the deal?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's actually the very storm that brought us the rain yesterday morning that moved to the north and east and it strengthened considerably. And this is something we see that's very common when these storms move northeastward. If you think of we didn't have very many this winter, but if you think of a typical nor'easter that's strengthening as it's moving up the coast, a lot of times that strengthening condition continues as it goes up into Atlantic Canada. And that's what we saw this time as well. And wind is basically fueled in its most basic sense by differences in pressure between low pressure and high pressure. And you've got this very strong storm sitting over Atlantic Canada that's probably equivalent to a low end hurricane, and then you have high pressure that's not a particularly strong high pressure, but enough to create a pretty sizable difference across the Ohio Valley. And it's that difference in between that creates that strong wind and so again, it was the very storm that brought up the rain as it moved out. It's just kind of the difference of pressure. The pressure gradient really fueled that wind today on the back side of it.
Speaker 2: So the location of the high pressure and the low pressure is what pumped the winds in from the northwest. These were cold winds. When we have a northeaster, that storm sits off our coast, but it's throwing winds from the northeast at us. That's a different It's still strong winds, but they're different correct both directionally and otherwise.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's just basically where the storm is. So, like you were talking about, when you have a nor'easter coming up the coast, especially out ahead of the storm, the winds are typically out of the east. That the flow around an area of low pressure is counterclockwise, So when you're on the northern side of the storm, the wind will be coming in out of the east, and that generally impacts the coastal areas more because there's no friction over the water, so the wind can kind of move as it pleases. But this time, and this happens frequently, we're on the back side of these storms and That's why typically when you get these big storms to come on through, when you're on the back side of them, it typically is colder because the wind usually shifts out of the northwest. That's what we saw this time. So again, if you just kind of follow the flow around the low pressure area, you wind up with the northwesterly wind, and that's why the wind was a colder wind today.
Speaker 2: Okay, Am I right or wrong on this? And believe me, I'm more often not wrong, particularly in subjects I'm not an expert in Is March the windiest month? At least that's my recollection that of all the months in New England, March always is the windiest month. Right or wrong on that one, Brian.
Speaker 8: I don't know offhand if it's absolutely the windiest. Now it is, it's certainly one of the windier months because storms are typically fueled by temperature gradients. We're just talking about wind gradients, temperature gradients basically the difference between and warm and now that we're getting into March, the warmer airs trying to come north, so you wind up with in general more opportunities for storms to form because the warm air is trying to come back northward, but the cold air is still fighting back. So a lot of times we get to these storms in March. Even though they may not be all snowstorms, we can still get some powerful storms and sometimes even the most powerful storms of the winter wait till March at least strength wise, maybe not necessarily the amount of snow you get, but just because of the sheer power of them, they can produce more wind.
Speaker 2: Well, all of us who lived in New England in late nineteen nineties will always remember the April first, April Fool's Day storm of nineteen ninety seven and thirty inches of snow which went away because it was April. But I don't know if you were around for that one, but that was that was a storm that surprised us all. Brian, if I could give us a quick ten day forecast, when are we going to get some relative warmer weather.
Speaker 8: It looks like early next week that's going to happen. It may not be a particularly long period, but we are seeing temperatures are gonna be rising through the forties this weekend. I think the one day you want to zero in on for a really nice maybe spring previews, probably Tuesday. I think we will get into the mid to upper fifties. Won't be surprised a few places hit sixty. I can't guarantee that. Southern New England. That's always fickle. Sometimes the colder air hangs on a little bit longer because we're surrounded by water. But as we get into the middle of the week, it does look like at least some slightly cooler air comes in, and then maybe late next week there might be another push of warmth that comes our way.
Speaker 2: Eventually he's gonna get warm July and August, we'll eventually get here. Brian Thompson, Meteorologists EVACU Weather, thanks so much for being available. I know it's been a long a few days for you here, but have a great weekend. I hope you're off.
Speaker 8: Thanks Brian, I am thanks to have a good weekend.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. We come back when to talk about your taxes and you can have some free tax advice from a lary accomplished, amazingly accomplished and qualified in competence CPA. My good friend Mark Misselbeck. Right after the news at nine o'clock here on nightside