Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. The Global trade War now focused on alcohol. It's where we kick off swamp Watch.
Speaker 2: I'm a politician, which means I'm a cheap and a liar.
Speaker 3: And when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing the lollipops we got.
Speaker 4: The real problem is that our leaders are done.
Speaker 2: The other side never quits.
Speaker 4: So what I'm not going anywhere?
Speaker 5: So that now you train the.
Speaker 2: Swat, I can imagine what can be and be unburdened by what has been have always been going.
Speaker 1: I hante that you put that in here every day in a nice position.
Speaker 2: Actually, people get a reminder swamp watch. They're all canon, well, you don't want to be burdened. I don't want to be burdened. I do not. Yes.
Speaker 1: President Trump says he will place a two hundred percent tariff on European wine and champagne two hundred percent.
Speaker 2: A lot of people are to be pissed off about this.
Speaker 1: In a post on truth Social Trump said it would be in response to a fifty percent tariff on whiskey. Implemented by the EU. President said the union was created for the sole purpose of taking advantage of the US. We had heard about the Kentucky whiskey and the whiskey and the bourbon makers being hurt by the Canadian situation and elsewhere, but not, I mean, and.
Speaker 2: You're dealing with different people here.
Speaker 1: You're going to piss off the wine people to make the whiskey people happy.
Speaker 2: That's a dangerous.
Speaker 6: Game, Beautiful, who do you want to piss off more?
Speaker 1: Who you want to piss off more? The whiskey drinkers or the wine drinkers. I've seen angry wine drinkers. And that is a dangerous road to.
Speaker 6: Ho This volatility that we've seen, as you mentioned, has driven Wall Street numbers into the red. The Dow is down another five hundred and thirty points right now. S and P five hundred is down seventy. The Nasdaq is down more than three hundred points. And this again, it's not because wine and champagne or whiskey, or even steel and aluminum are the things that are driving this.
Speaker 2: It's the uncertainty. It's the volatility.
Speaker 6: And Trump had said obviously, he said in the day one prices we're going to go down. That didn't happen, And then he said in an interview back on Sunday, I believe it was that there will be some short term things we have to go through before those prices come down. It's that volatility that's driving all of this uncertainty, that uncertainty the way that is coming out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's the terrorists that are driving the volatility, right, It's ridiculous numbers like two hundred percent.
Speaker 6: Well, and it's it's the well, what's going to happen tomorrow. We don't know what's going to happen six months from now. We don't know what's going to happen tomorrow. Scott Bessen is the new Treasury Secretary. He said, yeah, it is a little crazy right now, but he's not worried about the volatility.
Speaker 5: What we're focused on is the We're focused on the real economy. Can we create an environment where there are long term games in the market and long term games for the American people. I'm not concerned about a little bit of volatility over three weeks.
Speaker 1: Right over three weeks, but like to your point, we don't know if this is going to be three.
Speaker 2: Weeks or three years.
Speaker 6: Right now, France is the top wine exporter to the US of about two and a half billion dollars worth. Italy comes in a very close second at two point three billion, and for both of those, wine is among the top goods that they send here to the United States. The French Trade Minister, Laurent Saint Martine said that Trump is escalating the trade war he has chosen to start, and that his country would fight back. Olof Gil is a spokesperson for the EU Commission and said the US needs to immediately revoke the steel and aluminum tariffs that were imposed yesterday. He says they bring nothing but lose lose outcomes, and we want to focus on win win outcomes.
Speaker 2: This is his plan. This is exactly.
Speaker 6: This, This tariff war, trade war thing is going exactly the way Trump wanted it to because he has said over and over again that we're the ones getting screwed.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 6: Nobody likes the temporary We hope it's temporary pain that will be inflicted. But remember there have been a lot of these threats of tariffs that have then been pulled off the table because whoever the other country is has come forward and said okay, let's work this out. We got to figure this out, and that's how he negotiates with a giant freaking hammer.
Speaker 1: Russian President Vladimir Putin says he agrees with that ceasefire plan they came up with in Saudi Arabia. When it came to the US diplomats and their Ukrainian counterparts.
Speaker 2: Of it, he said, they agree with it in principle.
Speaker 1: It was during a press briefing today that Putin said the proposal needs to lead to an enduring peace and should remove the root causes of this crisis. That's all grade a Bologney.
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 2: Was that Putin? No I was going to say, he sounds different.
Speaker 1: US officials did travel to Moscow today to discuss a possible ceasefire with Russian officials. This after Ukraine said earlier that it would agree to the US backed thirty day ceasefire if Russia did as well. So it looks like Putin's saying, no, I want to talk to my American counterparts. E.
Speaker 2: I want some things here.
Speaker 1: I want to get the good end of this deal, and right now it's not there.
Speaker 6: Senate is now the body that has to determine whether or not there's going to be a government shutdown starting tomorrow night. Senate Democrats led by Chuck Schumer. Chuck Schumer made a speech on the floor of the Senate yesterday and said there will be no deal and he doesn't think any Democrats will support the plan that was put forward by the Republican controlled House, although when you look at it, there's a lot of the original Biden Harris spending plan for this year that exists in this six month continuing resolution. Majority Leader John Thune said, this is Chuck Schumer's it's his deal now, and he's the one who's going to blow this if they can't pass it.
Speaker 7: Thanks to the Democrat leader's decision to abandon the fiscal year twenty twenty five appropriations process, the continuing resolution we have before us is the best option we have to fund the government for the balance of this year. And so, mister President's time for the Democrat leader to acknowledge that it's his decisions that put us here and urge his colleagues to accept the situation and vote to fund the government rather than to let it shut down.
Speaker 2: At midnight on Friday.
Speaker 1: Fallout from the federal agency layoffs continue a federal judge today ordered President Trump's administration to reinstate thousands, maybe tens of thousands of probationary workers who are let go in the firings across multiple agencies last month. The judge directed the agencies to report back within seven days with a list of probationary employees and an explanation of how the department compiled with his order or complied excuse me with his order to each person and compiled their lists. I should say so this affects the VA, Agriculture, Interior, and number of government agencies. There are an estimated two hundred thousand probationary workers across federal agencies. So not just entry level workers, but people who have been promoted. It's not just like fly by the night kind of people that are working for these agencies that have been ordered reinstated.
Speaker 6: Up next, a woman in Connecticut accused of brutally torturing and holding in captivity her step son since he was eleven years old. He's now over thirty twenty years this kid kept in these horrific conditions.
Speaker 1: Oh, in a crazy parenting show that's getting crazy amount of buzzes out today, tell you about that as well.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Move over Dixon Dallas. Hello, Gary Hoffman.
Speaker 1: How refresh my recollection of Dixon Dallas. Oh my gosh, I forgot completely about that. That was that country song I was listening to a suggested to me on Spotify, and I'm into it, and all of a sudden it got real dirty, real quick, back room of the abbey dirty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and then you listened to it, and then I made two more times by the time, and then I made you fall in love with it before you knew what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like watching the Victoria Secret Angels Show and you're like, oh, that wasn't a woman got it?
Speaker 2: She was hot, pulled a fast one on me.
Speaker 6: Kimberly Sullivan is, by all descriptions, a very wicked person. This woman is accused of imprisoning and starving her step son for twenty years now. Her lawyer, of course, maintains her innocence. They say these allegations are not true, they're atlandish. In fact, Kimberly was blown away when she heard these allegations. The discovery of a thirty two year old man happened in the middle of February when Waterbury, Connecticut police officers, along with personnel from the fire department, responded to report of an active fire at a home at about a quarter to nine that night. The fire was quickly put out by a couple of authorities and two occupants found inside at the home. The first person identified was Kimberly Sullivan, owner of the property. She's fifty six. The second person a thirty two year old man later determined to be Sullivan's step son, now the police chief, Fernando Spagnola.
Speaker 8: Fire investigators quickly realized that there was a room in the house that appeared to have locks on it from the exterior portion of the house. They began to speak to the male victim, who disclosed that he was being held captive in the house for an extended period of time, approximately twenty years. It was worse than the conditions of a jail cell. So there's a lot of physical therapy that'll have to go through, there's a lot of healing that'll have to go through. Mentally, it appears that it was a very controlling situation going on regarding the victim's conditions whereabouts, his connection with other family members other people in the community, other friends.
Speaker 6: He had said to the ambulance crew, I set the fire upstairs because I wanted my freedom.
Speaker 1: He was eleven years old when this captivity began.
Speaker 6: They said that there was starvation, severe neglect, inhumane treatment. The thirty two year old was found to have been in a severely emaciated condition and hadn't received medical or dental care over the time of his captivity.
Speaker 1: You know, we mentioned this when the turbine story broke, you brought it up.
Speaker 2: I believe a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Of how many homes are there like this when it comes to not knowing your neighbors, Like, how many homes where there's like a horrific thing going on nobody even knows about like this.
Speaker 2: For more than twenty years, she kept this.
Speaker 1: Kid and now man captive, beating him water from the toilet. My goodness, I mean, how many homes are like this? That's awful and at the hands of a woman. It's just always so shocking.
Speaker 6: There's always more, that's the thing. Yeah, there's always, as the rule, there's always more.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about this show on Netflix? It's gotten a lot of us. It's called adolescence no, okay. Here is the premise. It's a couple and they have a teenage son and he's accused of murdering a classmate and all the things that go along with that is being a parent, right, it's your worst one of your worst nightmares of that your kid gets into some real trouble, you know, and where did we go wrong? And we thought we had a good kid, all the things. Each episode, it's a four part Netflix drama. Each episode was filmed in a single continuous shot. Now you remember when we watch I believe it was the finale of the Bear one season that was one continuous shot and the intensity that that brings alone, and then you add on all the intensity that comes on with this, and they say, it's freaking insane.
Speaker 2: Each four part.
Speaker 1: Each part of this four part drama filmed in a single continuous shot. It launched today. It's a young boy accused of stabbing a classmate. It's a new actor, Owen Cooper, who plays a teenager. They said while filming, the camera was handed between operators like a relay race and carried by the fast moving crew as they followed the actors in and out of buildings.
Speaker 6: Wow, yeah, how do you rehearse that I have no way do the whole scene.
Speaker 2: You have to do the whole thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the actors says, it's like a Zen like style of acting that you get the same spontaneity and energy that you get from a live performance.
Speaker 2: So maybe there are no hurt. Maybe it's just go do it well now you But I mean that's.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have no idea. You're in the industry. I am not.
Speaker 6: But that would be pretty intense a I don't know if that would find man. That almost be too it would be almost uh too much of the anxiety watching that.
Speaker 1: I think we'll find out. All the reviews say it is a must sy show.
Speaker 6: We have new locks that will open with just the wave of your hand, and that old cute little rumba that's stuck under the coffee table and has been there for nine months. The maker of rumba is suggesting they may not have a future.
Speaker 1: What I love the rumba. I call mine Helen because she runs into things.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's true. You don't, it's a true story.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty A Wave.
Speaker 1: That unlocks a video and the future of Rumba In doubt, we turned to Mark Saltzman.
Speaker 3: The machines are getting smarter.
Speaker 4: This is tech Talk, brought to you by Skynet.
Speaker 6: Pretty crazy, Mark, but anchor the maker of just about everything technology. I think I have a bunch of their their rechargeable batteries and yeah, they're power banks.
Speaker 2: Power banks.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They've announced through their u fie. Is that you say it?
Speaker 3: That's how you say it. It's euf y, That's how it's pronounced. Here.
Speaker 6: They have a bunch of smart home products and they have a lock that uses your palm.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I like this.
Speaker 9: It's meant to be more secure. They sent it to me to play around with. It's pretty wild. So it's called the UFI Familock S three Max and it's a video door lock, so it's also a video door bell camera.
Speaker 3: But we'll get to that in a second.
Speaker 9: But yeah, the unique feature is that it uses palm vein scanning technology. So it's an infrared light IR light that illuminates the palm when you wave it over the sensor. It looks at the blood flow in your palm and in the veins. And it is a unique identifier. It's what we call biometrics technology. It's not unlike using your face to unlock your iPhone or a fingerprint or something.
Speaker 3: It is another way to securely identify you.
Speaker 9: The company claims it's ninety nine point nine nine nine nine nine percent accurate and you can program up to fifty palm prints. So your family, your friends, whoever you want access to your home. So the idea is that you don't need a mechanical key. It uses either keypad. But even more convenient is holding up your hand.
Speaker 2: It's this is going to sound macab.
Speaker 3: Can I know what you're going to say?
Speaker 9: Cut somebody's hand off, and don't you kill them? So if someone killed you to get into your home, yeah, I think it's looking for blood in the veins.
Speaker 3: And if I don't.
Speaker 9: Know how, I don't know how fast how fast you need to hold the hand up after it's severed for it.
Speaker 3: It's a really it's a macob question.
Speaker 1: Yes, had a low red cell blood count.
Speaker 9: My thinking is if somebody wants to get in your house, they're going to get in your house. I feel like one way or another, so it does work. It's pretty wild. Yeah, I was a latchkey kid when I was younger. I had like a mechanical key on a shoe string around my neck, Like.
Speaker 3: That's old school.
Speaker 9: So this also works with Alexa or Google. You can use your voice to lock or unlock the door when you're inside. And it does have an integrated two K camera, so that's to see deliveries for example. And on the inside of the door is the screen as well. There's an app, but there's a screen that will show you who's at your door. Yeah, so it's going to be coming in April. It's going to be three ninety nine, and there's a seventy dollars off code at the website at ufi dot com.
Speaker 3: So yeah, kind of neat. I've been kicking the tires on that.
Speaker 2: Everybody. I know a lot of people who have room bus.
Speaker 6: I don't know everybody who uses them on a regular basis because there is some upkeep involved.
Speaker 1: Quick question, if you're murdered, does your room bus still work?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 9: If you're Helen is still going to do her job. She puts the she puts hell in hell. You can't spell hella without hell, yes, So yeah, the roombus and other floor vacuuming robots are ill popular, but the company I Robot may not be around. It's funny they ironically announced a half a dozen new models this week, but they in the same breath told investors yesterday that it has and I quote, substantial doubt about it or our ability to continue. The company is in trouble. What happened was a year ago Amazon was going to buy them. It was a one point seven billion dollar acquisition that was called off by Amazon because of regulatory hurdles, mostly out of Europe. That's not unusual. The EU has very strict regulatory compliance rules and all that. So I don't know what the issues were with privacy and all that, or it was maybe deemed monopoly. But what has happened since is that there are these brands that have come out of nowhere, seemingly that are giving comparable performance in a robotic vacuum and mop combo in one as low as ninety dollars, Like, how do you compete with that? So if you go to on you'll find brands, some you'll recognize, some you won't. Dream Robo Rock, Shark Shark you probably know, like Shark Ninja.
Speaker 3: UFI is another one.
Speaker 9: The same company as the video door bell lock with the palm scanning and you can now get comparable quality. So even though the company has a half dozen new models that they're they're also just catching up with light ar sensing instead of other technologies to navigate around your home. Light R is more efficient. It's it can clean your home better in a shorter amount of time. By learning your home. You probably know that there's an app that will show you a map of your floor that you can name, like that's my kitchen, that's my family room, and then you can tell the smart speaker or the app clean in front of my stove. Things like that get very specific. So yeah, so eye robots got to catch up. But who knows, I'd be worried about buying an eye robot just because you don't know if the company's going to be around. But they did announce some new they're in they're in debt, they're still paying off a two.
Speaker 3: Hundred million dollar bridge loan.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not not looking good.
Speaker 6: Well, And if if I robot goes under, then whatever Isaac Asimov books are, they're not going to be true anymore.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, yeah, right, you know they were the ogs Rooumbot back in two thousand and two. Right, it's not the same I Robot as asim of the same name for sure. Yeah, I didn't. I didn't know if I should even acknowledge that. Yes, it was a good movie with Will Smith though.
Speaker 2: It was a great mind love.
Speaker 3: I like that movie. I was kind of underrated. But yeah, no, Ruba, they're the ogs.
Speaker 9: I Robot came out in two thousand and two, in September of twenty two. But so it's a shame if they go under because they kickstarted this whole robot fact thing that Kats like to sit on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we like to watch Kat. I don't think they like it, but we like to watch them sit on it.
Speaker 2: Mark, thank you and to you.
Speaker 3: Talk to you next week.
Speaker 6: You bet Mark Saltzman follow Mark on x m arc under marked My dark humor was funny.
Speaker 2: He's just got a higher level of humor acuity.
Speaker 1: Well, we set the bar high, set it real high.
Speaker 6: There is a weird thing going on in social media where you think, listen, there's an evil part of the Internet, and it looks like the cracks are opening up and that evil part of the Internet is now seeping into your social media feed.
Speaker 2: Oh God, be careful.
Speaker 4: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI A six forty.
Speaker 2: I've got eyes on Jackie who is.
Speaker 1: In the nest at Big Bear and her three little babies are underneath her, and I learned about the crop today.
Speaker 2: The crop is the eagles really to go box.
Speaker 1: It's an expandable part of the esophagus where they can store up to two pounds of food. So even if what's his name Shadow doesn't come back to provide us a fish carcass or a bird carcass, apparently Jackie's got enough there neuroesophagus to keep those babies fed throughout the day.
Speaker 2: Are you worried about them? I don't think you should be worried. No, I was just I wanted to watch a meal today.
Speaker 6: I guess, Oh that's weird. Why is that weird? It's nature, I know, but you've talked about how gruesome it is. It's pretty apart the birds, and I like a little gruesome. Well, in this case, let me that leads directly into this next story, because it's not You're not gonna like it. Kelly Takazu was interviewed by the Washington post mom here in La uses Instagram for parenting advice and cooking videos. I would I would venture to tell different, Kelly, let's move away from the parenting advice from effing Instagram. Maybe let's uh crack open a book or talk to friends or something.
Speaker 2: Well, Instagram's like a book. It's just a lot.
Speaker 6: Stop every word that comes out of your mouth from this point forward. I don't like it when dad gets mad Instagram. However, she said she did. She'd did seek out breastfeeding content again something you should not necessarily go to Instagram for. But okay, okay, she said the app got the wrong idea about her. One day, I had a reels suggestion an older woman who had a bunch of babies around her, And I must have looked at it for too long, because that's part of how they know what you're doing. Or I should say, that's part of what the apps pay attention to, is what you stop on.
Speaker 1: Back in the old days, when you would go to the card catalog instead of TikTok or YouTube or Instagram, nobody knew about the weird stuff you were hunting for. Now they know that you're into breastfeeding.
Speaker 6: Instagram moved on to show Kelly a video of an older couple on a bed surrounded by about twenty infants, then elderly women nursing, and eventually is that a thing? And eventually women of various ages nursing and giving birth to animal human hybrid babies. Now again you see how the iteration goes from one thing to the next to the most outlandish.
Speaker 2: It's only a couple of steps away.
Speaker 1: I bet this is the worst Google search that's ever happened.
Speaker 6: As other social media sites have followed TikTok's lead, they said they're shifting to opaque, algorithmic based feeds. You're getting increasing flashes of disturbing or strange or unwanted context.
Speaker 1: But a woman can breastfeed even if she is postmenopausal or elderly interesting.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're going to get the same nutritional value that you would out of the dust.
Speaker 6: They said, it's not just the AI oddities like the human animal hybrid babies, but real life violence, real sex, and rage baiting politics, things that obviously is engaging, but that very few people seek out in their original search. And they said the increasing breakthroughs have become a jarring peak into another side of the social media apps. Violent posts, of course, have been around for decades.
Speaker 2: So apparently you can just induce lactation.
Speaker 1: Go on, there are hormone mimicking drugs that can be used for several months to induce lactation. Or you can do this in that area for ten to fifteen minutes, eight to ten times a day.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that might get the milk coming out. It makes your body think that you're nursing, right, Yeah, that's wild, isn't that wild?
Speaker 6: Some Instagram users have reported seeing videos of surgeries, people appearing to die in accidents, shootings, nudity.
Speaker 1: In many cultures, grandmothers will do this relactate. I feel like we've talked about that halfway. That's fascinating. I mean it makes sense.
Speaker 2: I guess it's just wow.
Speaker 6: According to Instagram, the content that people complain about in these cases sometimes surgeries or deaths, they occupy a gray area that's not really extreme enough to be removed under the community standards that meta post.
Speaker 1: But there's people that like come up with stuff that will fall under the gray area.
Speaker 2: Oh they know, they absolutely gross. I mean, for example, what's the endgame for that?
Speaker 1: Like, what's the benefit clicks that earn you ad dollars clicks.
Speaker 2: That's all I mean. I'm gonna spitball here.
Speaker 6: I don't know if this is true, but if I if you asked me to put up something that was in a gray area, you can find images of I don't know, wartime deaths.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You could see a.
Speaker 6: Sniper scope view of that sniper shooting and killing somebody a couple hundred yards away, and it's graphic and it's gross. You could in the and that unedited video would probably fall outside of the community standards and be removed. But if you led all the way I mean, if you watch this ten or fifteen second video and it went all the way up to the moment of impact of the bullet on the bad guy, and then digitized it so you didn't see the actual graphic nature of it. You just knew that something bad happened on the on the other side of that fuzzy you know image that you see that might be one that doesn't technically show death and therefore wouldn't be removed. And I think that's what people are doing, is they're getting away with some of that stuff. And the thing is, like I said, Kelly, Takata Takazu only wanted to find images of or not even images, she wanted some sort of breastfeeding advice or whatever. And it goes to the animal human hybrid babies that are then suckling at Grandma enough that.
Speaker 1: I learned also things about breastfeeding. Watching Severance last night finished season one, there was a little bit of a breastfeeding how to in one of those episodes.
Speaker 2: So would you learn that you?
Speaker 4: Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to know.
Speaker 6: You missed any part of the show. Go back and check out the podcast on the iHeart app. Just type in Gary it be a beautiful thing, or anywhere you find your podcast.
Speaker 2: Just type in Gary and Shannon and you make it not Oh, I'm the one. I'm the one.
Speaker 6: I'm just going to do this to you, just like this. You made me see it. Now you gotta see it. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.