Speaker 1: Make us the number one preset on your car radio and on the free new and improved iHeartRadio app Listen for all your music, radio and podcast free.
Speaker 2: Never sounded so good.
Speaker 3: One O three one Austin dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks for being with us. It's the JB and Sandy Show. I'm Sandy and this is JB. Hello, trisis here as well.
Speaker 4: Hi, everybody.
Speaker 1: In a way, we go find us on Instagram at JB, Sandy atx and Oh, by the way, I didn't have a meeting about this or a conference call, zoom meeting, team meeting or anything.
Speaker 5: But I went ahead and set us up a TikTok account too. Oh I saw that on slack. Oh we're going into We're going into TikTok world. I'm not gonna lie. I was kind of avoiding that one. Yeah, person, I.
Speaker 1: Kind of have to on purpose because of the what you agree to when you get an account.
Speaker 3: And then well what even oh you mean the privacy thing and all that. Yeah, yeah, I didn't mean that. It was just like it was more about, oh, another social channel. Yeah, that one does seem to be on the rise, where I would say Facebook is definitely on the slide.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I've also read that.
Speaker 1: TikTok is way more generous in pushing out your content. It is not as stringent as Facebook and Instagram is.
Speaker 2: They're very there. Their algorithm is much more to liberal.
Speaker 4: Like, sure, we'll post that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll push it out to everybody.
Speaker 4: Let's see what happened.
Speaker 1: Right instant and I had something weird on our YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: They ever seen this?
Speaker 6: JB.
Speaker 1: I posted a video, just a short on YouTube, and I was like, in exactly, I know this because it said twenty two minutes later after I posted the video, we had one point five thousand views twenty two minutes later, Okay. And then when I got up yesterday morning and looked at it, our number our views had gotten down to one point too.
Speaker 2: I'm like, how's that happen? Unwatched it.
Speaker 3: I guess it's funny because I've I've looked at like analytics and stuff for people I was helping with social media stuff, and it's it's always a perfectly round number four zero point fives. Yeah, so I have so much smoking mirrors there.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: And anybody that tells you they know what they're talking about whose last name isn't Zuckerberg.
Speaker 2: They're lying. They I know, no one knows, right, No.
Speaker 1: One people out there hustling social media business. They don't know any more than you and I do, you know what I mean, They just they don't. So anyway, I saw an interesting question on the Austin reddit thread, and Tricia and I have quite a bit of experience with it. It's it says, what's it like to fly out of the south terminal at ab I A.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you in one word, wonderful. Amazing, Yeah, wonderful.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people may not know this, but there's a very very very small one gate terminal on the other side of the runway at Berkstrom.
Speaker 2: You go around. Have you ever been where like the private.
Speaker 1: Jets and stuff where they meet where they meet their airplanes and stuff.
Speaker 2: Right side, So on that side.
Speaker 1: There is a very small, little south terminal that it's if you ever saw the TV show Wings, yeah, back in the day. It's very very much like the Wings airport. There's one ticket gate and you go in and there's no there security, but there's never a line, never anybody there.
Speaker 7: You park right there, yep, don't have to pay. I mean, it's well, I guess you did immately. But you park right there and you just walk across the parking lot and you walk right into the terminal and you go right through.
Speaker 1: And it's old school JBS. You have ever seen airports where you have to walk outside and then get go on the steps up to the airplane. Yeah, there's no jetway, Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. And they've got really good tacos at that taco truck.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Santa gets all excited about the tak I've.
Speaker 3: Never flown out of that, so it's just like one one of the carriers using that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was Frontier and Allegiant, and we flew Allegiant a lot because they had NonStop flights to Omaha that were super cheap, and so we would fly out of that terminal often.
Speaker 4: And it was race so simple.
Speaker 7: There's none of the craziness of trying to find a parking place in the giant garages or deciding how far out you want to park, and then the huge line. I mean, it was just like literally within five minutes you're at your gate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but unfortunately that's closing down that South terminal. I don't know the exact date when that's happening, but it is shut it down. They're going to use it for something else, and they're going to make the Allegiance they were going to make move to the main terminal there like now peace out, we're done, Allegiance gone. Yeah, and then Frontier, I think, is moving over to the other side.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: They couldn't give a Agent or Frontier, one of them their own dedicated gate. So really basically every time they landed, they'd be like, Oh, what gate are we going to now? Which because it's so big at the main part of the airport. God, it was so convenient and so easy.
Speaker 1: Now I've read the airport is expanding again, right, that's I think that's why they're I think they're tearing that down because they're expanding and they're having to use.
Speaker 7: That area for more runway or more maybe more buildings or something out there.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was construction going on when I was there last week. I don't know what it was, but there's definitely construction going on.
Speaker 2: But it'd be nice if they could put a train track out there and you could take the train.
Speaker 1: To the airport. No kidding, that would be nice, right. So anyway to answer that Reddit, person's question. Yeah, flying out of the South terminal is awesome, and it's not Unfortunately it's not gonna be here for much longer.
Speaker 2: Nope, which is a bummer.
Speaker 1: Coming up today, Trisia is gonna fill us in with some news. She's got the story we Love in just a little bit.
Speaker 2: What do you have?
Speaker 7: I'm gonna let you guys in on the new parking code enforcements that we've been given three months worth of warnings for now they're finding you if you do.
Speaker 2: It all right, stay with us. The Story we Love is next.
Speaker 1: Listening to the JV and Sandy Show on Austin's eighty station, what three point one?
Speaker 2: Tristan's got the story we love in just a moment?
Speaker 1: Well, I managed to escape the day yesterday without a phone call from the Secret Service.
Speaker 7: We're exposing the Governor's mansion vulnerabilities, the security vulnerabilities at the Governor's mansion.
Speaker 1: If you didn't hear that, grab the podcast version of the show. In fact, I think that one's titled Sandy is fully expecting a call from the Secret Service for this.
Speaker 2: You'll get the full explanation there.
Speaker 1: Search JV and Sandy on the iHeartRadio the stories we love live.
Speaker 4: From the Lester Holtz Studios.
Speaker 7: It's Trisha Delicia.
Speaker 2: That's our baby girl.
Speaker 4: I'm sixteen years old, lady.
Speaker 7: So according to the city, warnings for parking code violations that began March first have now switched to enforceable fines. You're going to pay. You were given some warnings if you didn't learn, now you're going to pay. And JBI chose this story because one in particular, I think you're going to be very happy about. Blocking a signed or marked bike lane is a fifty to seventy five dollars fine, even.
Speaker 2: For food delivery people.
Speaker 7: They do have some leniencies in place for food delivery for us.
Speaker 3: That's not going to that's that. So I live in Travis Heights and I use the Congress Avenue bike lanes, and you can't use those by lanes there is it's all filled with Uber and Lyft pickups and Favor and Uber.
Speaker 4: He's it equipment loading and unloading.
Speaker 3: It's out of control. And then they you know, it's such a mess down there. You know, they built all those fancy stores, you know during COVID, all the high end stuff and music lane, although that didn't really catch on did it, and there's there's nowhere for them to load and unload. So you got these eighteen wheelers on Congress Avenue just trying to get their stuff in there. It's a mess, and so there's going to be someone's going to get killed, hoppy, because you if you're on a bike, you got to get go out into traffic to go around the cars. And then there's people going in and out and food delivery drivers running in and out.
Speaker 2: Someone's gonna get hurt.
Speaker 1: So is the bike lane like literally the lane behind the parked car or in front of the parked car on Congress Avenue.
Speaker 6: Back into your spot, right, so the oh yes, yes, right okay, And then so people are then just hogging that lane to drop off their ramo or pick up their food or whatever exactly.
Speaker 7: They're saying that there is clarity on delivery and passenger zones and like music equipment drop offs and stuff like that regarding bike lanes as well. So I don't know what that clarity is, but it sounds like you're saying a fine isn't really gonna People are probably just betting that they're not going to get caught in the three minutes that it takes them to rent in and drop.
Speaker 3: Off the de they we you know, we've passed all these added bike lanes and people are using it as it's they see it as a loading zone. Yeah, oh I'm out of traffic. I'm in a bike lane. Right, it's kind of made it worse.
Speaker 1: Actually, Oh jaman, you've been riding bikes in Austin for thirty years? Has it gotten better or worse? Because I mean back eventually worse. I was going to ask from pep By. People are just like individuals?
Speaker 2: Are they more?
Speaker 1: Are they nicer now than they used to get a bunch of rednecks back in the day?
Speaker 2: That? Yeah? That as the off the road? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are there is there more tolerance for the cyclist?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably.
Speaker 3: I could probably thank all the the scooter people for that, because we hate them.
Speaker 1: They hate the people. The bike people are off the hook. We hate the scooter people.
Speaker 3: It's like all the people on electric devices that are not a bicycle are now a public enemy number one.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So now we're off the hook a.
Speaker 3: Little bit, We're more and more loved, like oh luck, he's peddling.
Speaker 2: Wow, But has the tolerance gotten better?
Speaker 3: I would say that the tolerance and acceptance is better, but the congestion is obviously worse. And then it's like I said, we passed all these measures to put in additional bike lanes, but people see that as a loading zone.
Speaker 2: It's that part of it is worse.
Speaker 3: It was safer riding on South Congress without when we didn't have a bike lane.
Speaker 1: Can I think you mentioned electric bikes and stuff. Can I tell you something that really pisses me off? And I think it's bad parenting. If you have a fat kid and you give them an electric.
Speaker 2: To day, if your kid's over.
Speaker 1: And you get them an electric bicycle, they should CPS should take the child away from you.
Speaker 2: I'm serious. I see it all the time.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm like, that kid ont to be pedaling that bicycle.
Speaker 2: Child Protective Services should be running at them on a bike. Yet on any bike, on.
Speaker 1: A bike, it shouldn't be allowed, is what I'm saying. You know, the kid needs to pedal the bicycle.
Speaker 7: I mean I don't, Yes, I mean I asked you about it one time, Jbi, and you're like, sometimes you get a little tired, and it's nice to be able to go without actually pedaling, but at some point like, I don't think anybody really pedals them ever, from what I can see, I don't ever see anyone pedaling an electric bike.
Speaker 3: Some some countries they have to be pedal assist, like I probably like in Netherlands, you know, yeah, yeah, that's one of the main parts of the world like that, where everyone rides a bike. I think some of those have to be pedal assists to use a bike line or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Now they make them in mountain bike versions too, right like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's cool. You can E road bike and E mountain bike. You can get anything.
Speaker 1: Because you can just see much more of the trail that way with the little cover, a lot more ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, don't put your fat kids on one.
Speaker 7: When you said can I say something, I was like, don't see it, don't see it.
Speaker 2: Stick around.
Speaker 1: We got more coming up on Austin's eighties station what O three point one, it's the JV and Sandy Show and you can now save us as a pre set on the iHeart radio app It's Austin's eighty station What O three point one.
Speaker 2: Apparently our convention.
Speaker 1: Center one nice enough one't good enough, so they're scraping the sucker making a new one tearing it down. It's the JV and Sandy Show. Thanks for being with us. This is Trisha over here. She chimes in every once in a while, sometimes with a funny here and there. But yeah, and I couldn't believe Tuia, did you say that convention Center was built thirty two years ago?
Speaker 7: Thirty three years old? I'm certain in my mind it was built like twelve years ago. It does not feel like it's been thirty three years.
Speaker 3: They've added to it and improved it, for sure, they've.
Speaker 2: Done a lot to it. Yeah, I kind of right.
Speaker 1: I remember like being yeah they did add on to it or do something because everyone was worried about ironworks. Remember, oh that's right. Yeah, they're like iron work's going to go anywhere? Like no iron works still there? What are the few places you can get to be for it? If you can find a place to park, true, it's like parking lot.
Speaker 2: Can't find a place to park. But they're spending how much JB on this one point six billion? Say they are spending? We are spending. Yeah, they spend dollars. They spending our tax money.
Speaker 7: You're spending it through hotel occupancy tax and convention Center revenues and they make a lot of money doing all that stuff.
Speaker 2: You know who this san Antonio. San Antonio hates this.
Speaker 3: They were they were the Texas Convention Hapital for a long time and up until recently, I think it was like a three year wait list to get the convention Center or something like that to get a date in Austin. I don't know if what this expansion does to it, but hey, I've you know, I've seen a couple of renderings and some you know, stuff like that. It it looks pretty damn cool and it is a lot of money. But you know, for a lot of people, that's their first real Austin impression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the airport and the convention center.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they come in. Airport's done a fine job. I think we had one of the cooler airports in the country. Same thing, you know, they get and they go straight to the convention center for some packet pickup and they're going to be there for a few days.
Speaker 2: It's one of your first impressions. It's pretty important.
Speaker 1: Hey, did you made me think of something jab when you mentioned the airport and the conventions there has Austin given up on the whole guitar thing. They were the guitars thing. Statue things were.
Speaker 4: Just that were randomly around Austin.
Speaker 2: Are we done with that? Is that because there's one at the airport.
Speaker 4: They moved I think they moved them all to the airport.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 3: It was a big fundraiser where they different artists or groups made those, and then they were auctioned off.
Speaker 2: Those ones that.
Speaker 4: Are outside they're inside like baggage claims.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm talking around the city. There's some that are outside too. Yeah, it meant. And then there was a cow thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, Chicago kind of stole it from Chicago, right right, But they're you know, they were like my down the street from me, one of my neighbors has one of them that they bought one of those art auctions.
Speaker 2: They have one of the big painted cow in their yard.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 2: That's what's cool about four there's still some funky people like that.
Speaker 1: They then keep it in the front yard. Yeah, that's good. You just never know anymore. You can't put that in your front yard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're gone. Those they were ten foot tag guitar sculptures. They were public arts projects sponsored by Gibson guitar and they were auctioned off really a half a million dollars for four local charities. This is way back in like two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: I thought that was an ongoing thing in Austin. They would keep putting them up. So if you know what Austin needs to do, I love this idea. Steal it from a buddy of a buddy myn named Detroit who does a morning radio show. He went on a campaign for years to get streets in Detroit named after musicians, like he got Bob Bob seeger Way, you know, and then he got all the motown He's He's single handedly like went to the city council put the plan together. How cool would it be in Austin to have a bunch of streets named after local Austin bands?
Speaker 2: Right? It is? They did change second to Willie Nelson, but no one says.
Speaker 1: That, right, right, But I mean it'd still be cool to just go local local, like Willie's a global thing, you know.
Speaker 2: But if you had.
Speaker 4: Bob Schneider Street, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bob Schneider Avenue, that'd be kind of cool.
Speaker 3: No one likes it, although if I was, I've gone back to Detroit. I would be really embarrassed to say I live on kid Rock Parkway.
Speaker 4: I think it makes it cooler.
Speaker 2: I like it, you know, because we named a bunch of stuff after trees. You see that trees? Yeah, no, I think it'd be great.
Speaker 3: We need to we need to lean into this music thing more before it fades.
Speaker 1: So who would we put? Okay, we got Willie? Who would our first street? Who would we name it after? What musician from Austin would we name a street after? Well, it's for sure, Stevie.
Speaker 2: Ray, right there, you go, Stevie. That would be the first one.
Speaker 4: We got a willy one already.
Speaker 2: I saw a.
Speaker 1: Picture of Jimmy Vaughan the other day and like a promo photo of him. And do you guys remember Seana, the guy that used to comb his hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's his promo picture. Bill does it? It's just the rockabilly look. Yeah yeah, yeah really.
Speaker 3: I used to bump into him all the time when he lived in Westlake. I think he moved out to Drip or something, but yeah, he rocks the pompadoor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gary, you're gonna say Gary Clark Jr. Gary Clark Junior, definitely have a street.
Speaker 4: Shaky Graves.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, Oh, are y all right with Kinky Friedman?
Speaker 2: Kinky's dead. He's from al Paso. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Notable Austin. I mean you're saying people who are from Austin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, made their bones here. Let's do that, you know what I mean? Made their name here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they may not have been born here. Yeah, that'd be a fun project. I won't We'll never do anything with it because it's too much work.
Speaker 4: Jerry Jeff Walker. Let's give him a street guy.
Speaker 2: Clark Jeff Walker. That's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say, not like Janis Joplin is synonymous with Austin.
Speaker 5: It's from Port Arthur, but she's made her name here. Rocky Ericson, Yeah, from thirteen Towns. That was from Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 2: But I mean Daniel Johnston, Hi, how are you? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Daniel Johns. There'd be a bunch of names to make streets. I mean, that's way better than Levaca, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Right, it's way better than Colorado.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you want to go, well, oh you could do Charlie Sexton. Yeah, Christopher Cross.
Speaker 4: And he lives here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Chris Cross.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we's almost died, he almost died during COVID.
Speaker 1: I think, oh, okay, but it's still with He's still still sailing, sailing away. He's got such a long way to go, I know, to make it to the border of Mexico.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna run right like the wind. Great song, though.
Speaker 4: Such a good song that makes me want to listen to it right.
Speaker 1: Now, right, so all right, let's let's put a pin in that. Okay, we'll have a meaning about that later