Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: One hour down, two more to go. Here on a Wednesday afternoon. Happy hump day, ladies and gentlemen. I'm feeling good now. We got some good energy, but I'm running on very little sleep. And I don't say that to complain. I'm just, you know, I feel like I'm sharing what a lot of you are probably feeling today. If you're a Louisville fan, you probably stayed up later than you typically do. I don't know, maybe you stay up all night. I'm not sure, but if I tried to go to bed as soon as the game ended, it would.
Speaker 3: Have been very, very, very difficult to do, because it's.
Speaker 4: Very hard to wind down right after a Yeah.
Speaker 2: It look Louisville played at nine o'clock game against SMU last month and they won by a billion. It seemed like and I still had a tough time, But that was a little b different because you were your energy level was high because not of stress and anxiety, but like you were feeling, you know, euphoria. Maybe that's not the right word to use, but I mean to see Lowell. I mean, I kind of feel like that SMU game because the records that were broken, just because they were so good in that game, and SMU was believed to be and still is one of the better teams in the ACC. Like that was kind of the moment where was like, Okay, I know this team's playing in a bad ACC this year, but man, like they look good right now and you're still on. It's like whenever I do a show at night, which I don't do them anymore, but when I would do a show for Postgame and it would be late into the evening, like the same thing, like not because I mean, I'm like when you're all when I'm on here for three hours, I'm not. You know, I'm not on cocaine, but you know, you gotta be on. You gotta be energized, and that usually makes it tough to just, you know, all of a sudden, walk upstairs from me doing the show in the basement and go to bed. So last night I was up late and I ended up walking into my son's room and I got him a PS four and he's excited. But I didn't know. You I've been out of the gaming world and never was really into it. But I used to have to go buy games at you know, game Stop or Walmart. They still do video games, right, I feel like that's where it does. I feel like it's where a bottle my video games. But now you don't buy him anymore.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, it is game Stop. There's still a thing. Right.
Speaker 2: I don't know asking the wrong guy, but I didn't realize that you download games and then you install them and they're like eight gigabytes. So by the time he went to bed, he still couldn't play his PlayStation because we had to wait for NBA two K twenty five to get to get downloaded and installed. But I went in his room to turn his light off because he was in bed with his mom, and I realized it was done.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, I don't know, I don't give I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Test this south Sea how it works, because I thought, you know, he's never played before, at least not on a PlayStation.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll have to figure out how to show him how to play.
Speaker 2: And sure enough I remembered how to play, and I thought, okay, let me let me just give it this a shot. Let me fire up a game, grab the stick. Yes, I played a game and then I was like, hey, that was fun. And I was working the stick. So I was the I was the Oklahoma City Thunder. We were talking about him yesterday, right yeah. And I played the Mavericks and I won, and I was like, you know what, let me switch it up and be a different team.
Speaker 3: I was my Pacers.
Speaker 2: And then I got to halftime of that game, I was I was cooking and I realized what am I doing?
Speaker 3: Like I kind of got lost.
Speaker 2: In the moment there where I played video games for about an hour and a half and I realized one now I'm even more like I mean, I was into it so very little sleep. But I didn't have somebody that reached out on the text line that said they're forty three years old and the only video game they played when they were young was was Nintendo. Like you know Mario, which that's a game, right, Like that's Mario of course. Yeah, but like before Mario Kart, like because I missed I missed the original Nintendo, like sure, the first like the systems that were around whenever I was a kid, where kids my you know, kids my age, were getting systems. We were past Nintendo. It was Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. Right, my first ever system was a Sega Genesis. But anyways, this person on the text line said that they they never played games other than the original Nintendo when they were young, and now they play like Call of Duty every night with their friends and they love it. So hey, I guess you can pick up the habit or hobby I should say, of gaming when you get older.
Speaker 3: But I got no time for that I have.
Speaker 2: I mean it is fun though, like it was kind of like an escape and I was kind of getting into it. So anyways, as much as my energy has been dragging today because of running on little sleep, imagine what my energy levels would be like if I never went and saw my friends over at the Little of Men's Clinic. Because one of the things that one of the many side effects you can have if your testosterone levels are not where they need to be for someone your age is low energy wanting to just call it a day and go to bed after dinner at seven o'clock. That drive home from work when you realize.
Speaker 3: Man, why am I so tired?
Speaker 2: Or maybe you know you're just noticing that without really any change to what you're eating or your exercise, you're starting to look like you're putting on some weight. Maybe you hit the scale and it's not showing there. But man, you got some flab. The movies are appearing, the man boobs, folks like it happens. I'm telling you, if you're somebody that's noticing what I just laid out, and I know there's many of you out there, it's probably low testosterone because your muscle's going away because you don't have the right testosterone levels, it's turning into flab.
Speaker 3: And there's all kinds of other factors as well. So I felt like a real.
Speaker 2: Dummy because I had these exact things were happening with me for really a couple of years, maybe longer, and I just assumed this is what happens when you get old.
Speaker 3: But I'm thinking, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm older, I'm not twenty one anymore, but I'm also not an old man. So finally I thought, you know what, maybe I will take them up on their offer. Right because Little Men's Clinic, they want you to come and see them and just hear your story, Hear what you're going through, hear what you think potentially they could help you with.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly what I did talk to doctor Wood.
Speaker 2: He explained to me that when it comes to low testosterone, it's not because you're you know, I mean, it's just a natural thing. Most men lose percentages of percentages of their testosterone when they get into their thirties. And you can go to the doctor and have them do blood work, all that kind of stuff, and your physician they're not going to see anything on the report that says you're in danger because your testosterone levels are at a certain spot.
Speaker 3: However, you are supposed to have your.
Speaker 2: Levels at a certain range depending upon your age, and that's where they checked me. And I remember my conversation with doctor Wood. You know, he looked at me and I kind of described sort of my situation, and he acted as if it might be somewhat of a surprise for my levels to be really low. But he said, even if they're not, we can still figure out something to maybe get you to get you squared away. But with my lifestyle and I guess my age, my health, he thought, maybe, just maybe my levels wouldn't be that low. And sure enough he was wrong, because my levels were in the range of somebody that was old enough to not only be my father, maybe be my grandfather, and that wasn't something you want to hear. But it also gave me sort of an explanation as to why I was really putting in work in the gym, relocating weight and running and not eating like a slob as much. But I just wasn't getting results, and it was because my testosterin levels were not where they needed to be. So sure enough, I've now been on testosterone treatment for over a year now and it has changed my life. And I don't say that as an exaggeration, it's the truth. So they've helped me. Let him help you.
Speaker 3: Louis Men's Clinic.
Speaker 2: You check them out online, very easy to find them online Louislemen's Clinic dot com. You give him a call FABO two four four four four thousand. And it's not just low te it's also joint pain, perone's disease, weight loss therapy, hair restoration. They've got a lot of services where they can help you be a healthier man. And I can't recommend him enough. All right, you guys want to give us a call today you can. It's Coffee and Company. Five seventy nine hundred is a number. Phone lines are now open we'll get back to the text line coming up here shortly, and we do have tickets to go see Brett Michaels. What a random giveaway. But if you listen to the beginning at the end of the first hour, I'm a I'm a I wouldn't I wouldn't be. I'm not gonna lie even say like I'm a big Brett Michael's guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know a.
Speaker 2: Whole lot about him, but I did have that experience at the country music festival we had here years ago, Hometown Rising, and I thought he seemed like a really weird artist act to have on this music festival because he's not a country artist. But I now know why they brought him, because he brought the energy. He was covering kid rock, he was covering some of course, some of Poison songs. He covered, Uh, he did some sweet ome Alabama.
Speaker 3: He was into it.
Speaker 2: He's a performer, And I do I do appreciate the two people in the text line that texted in and said that they also remember like being One person said, hell yeah, I saw Brett Michaels.
Speaker 3: He was great.
Speaker 2: One person kind of wrote and said the same thing I did, which is they remember thinking.
Speaker 3: This guy's kind of awesome.
Speaker 2: And you didn't go to Hometown Rising with Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert and whoever else the big names were at the time. Brian, Yeah, Luke Bryan, That's who it was. I mean, you didn't go because Brett Michaels was there, but you remembered he was there because he put on a show. So he's coming to French Lick on March first, and we're gonna give away a pair of tickets after we take our first break here in the four o'clock hour. But back to the Louisville game last night again, just to kind of summarize my my takeaway. There were some things that were concerning, and really we saw this team in a way we haven't seen them ever, and that's not ideal, but it happens. I'm hopeful that two things were the biggest factor in last night, one being that you just have nights like that, and I think getting up getting off to an eleven and zh start also kind of made it even weird once there was a run put on. Like I think the mental component is always way more of a factor in sports than people realize. But I think when you're up eleven to nothing and then you.
Speaker 3: End up getting a little bit of a run put on you.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't really that they just made a couple of threes, and in fact, I think it was eight to eight to maybe sixteen or eight to eighteen at one of the first one of the one of the first time outs, not the first one, but maybe the second one. And it was the former Charlestown player that Pat Kelsey coached. What's the young man's name, because he ended up having a phenomenal game. I know he got to catch up with Pat Kelsey afterwards. Yeah, Ben Burnham, he get thirteen points. He made three threes and hit two at the beginning, get eight of his thirteen at the very beginning of the game. He scored the first eight points for his team. But that happened, meaning they responded after being down eleven. Nothing Virginia Tech did. And then I think Louisville to kind of, you know, punch back if you will. They tried to put on their own little run, but they didn't do it the way they typically do it right. They didn't do it with locking down and getting stops, making opponents pay for every little mistake. They did it by I think pressing like they tried to just you know, they took some bad shots, made some bad decisions, and I chalked that up to them just being you know, winded and instead of you know, they they probably felt Again, it's not like they were out there thinking they could play a B minus type game and still win, because I think these guys do respect the opponent.
Speaker 3: I think they know they can give you by anybody.
Speaker 2: I think if they didn't know that, they certainly are gonna know now after last night. But I just think, you know, they they probably felt like, all right, they'll punch back and then we'll we'll hammer them and bury them. Then maybe they make a little bit of a run to think that they have some hope in the second half and then we'll come back with another haymaker and we'll end this thing and get out of here. And they're justified in thinking that they would be able to do that because that's what they've done all year in those exact same situations. And again they they maybe they were filmed themselves after getting off to an eleven and zero star because they look phenomenal to start the game. But I think they just tried to do that, but they went about it differently because they were fatigued. So I think, again, I'm hopeful that last night, which again was still a win, and it was still a good opportunity for you to get some experience in late I mean, the last time Louisville was in a situation like that was win. I mean even the Georgia Tech game was different. I mean that was a difference. I mean they lost also, but you were I mean it was neck and neck towards the very end of the game, and then you were able to give yourself a little bit of a cushion with a couple of Terrence Edwards threes, the big James Scott bucket late and then you kind of just had to hold on, get some stops defensively and you know, not screw up. And you did that and Virginia Tech screwed up and we thanked them for that.
Speaker 3: So again it was still a win.
Speaker 2: I think there's some value in being in that situation and kind of seeing what you're made of. And look, it's you know, even if they would have lost, they would have been able to learn and they but but they won, and we're able to avoid a real resume issue type loss, and yet they can still say that they you know, they still were able to learn from it. At least the should learn from it. So they've had a bug. I don't know what it is, if it's flu or whatever it is. But when I hear about players and even Pat Kelsey needed to take an IV last week because of practice, because of the illnesses, the illness that they have going around, I mean, I think that tells you that that they're they're going through it. And I think when you watch them play, you can tell like they've been fighting this illness. It's probably not hit everybody at the same time, but it's probably lingered. And hopefully they get they get well, get rested, get hydrated, and and and can be healthy once they get once they get to you know, games where you play a team other than Virginia Tech, with that kind of performance, it'll it'll it'll cost you. I mean, heck, it'll it'll end your season if it if it's in the tournament.
Speaker 3: We know that.
Speaker 2: And I was reminded last night Javon Hadley, he did an interview after the game, and I mean, these guys, they have excuses. They have a whole year they've been shorthanded with injuries, and yet they don't they don't accept any excuse, they don't feel sorry for themselves. They never play victim because because Hadley, I mean, somebody brought up the illness to him and he just before they could finish the question or finish their statement, like, no, that's not it.
Speaker 3: We got to be ready, we got to be better.
Speaker 2: And that gives me assurance that these guys will learn from what happened last night. But again, the one thing that is in the back of my mind that I'm trying to get rid of or at least trying not to dwell on it. There's nothing you can do about it. Only time will tell if it really is is a thing. But Virginia Tech, they had you on the ropes and they probably should have won. We're honest, and anybody you play, and I mean anybody you play in the tournament is going to be a lot better than them. So that's just something that that's that's not really like an opinion. That's not me trying to, you know, warn you that we should just prepare for an early exit in the tournament. I'm just like, I'm stating something that is at least something I'm I'm keeping in mind throughout here. All right, quick break, first person, first person to call five oh two, five seven, one seventy nine hundred. During the break here we'll get tickets to see Bret Michaels French Lick March first right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: I can see myself like in the beer line. Oh yeah, at the concert, and this the beginning of that song that you just played.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some unskinny pop.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking like, oh, man, hope this line moves quick because I got to get back.
Speaker 4: Yes, and I need that beer.
Speaker 3: But man, my song's on here.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: I kind of wish I lived in that era. Oh dude, I mean, what was this mid eighties? Yeah, had to be well maybe not, maybe it actually early eighties.
Speaker 4: I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking ninety maybe nineties.
Speaker 4: This song was probably.
Speaker 3: The song come out what's the name? What's the title of this song?
Speaker 4: Unskinny Bob.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm thinking just because I feel like it was long before my time. But maybe I'm wrong. This song came out in nineteen ninety so.
Speaker 4: Wow, Yeah, this is kind of like one of their later things.
Speaker 2: I was alive, but I was two, and man, he looks different now than he did back in nineteen eighties, but he's still rocking. So we just gave away a couple of tickets to go see Brett Michaels, who's going to be at French Lick.
Speaker 3: And congratulations to Jerry.
Speaker 2: I thought it was our regular caller Jerry, because you know, I don't know a lot of Jerry's, but it was a different Jerry who got in and won the tickets. So congratulations to you, Jerry. And we love giving away free stuff here on the show, and anytime they have something available, we will give it out.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Kentucky in Action tonight taking on Oklahoma, and they got some promising news.
Speaker 3: I guess it's good news.
Speaker 2: But both Lamont Butler and Jackson Robinson in the injury report last night. I guess that gets submitted to the SEC. From the programs, they were listed as probable, which is really encouraging. I don't know if that means they're gonna play. I could be wrong. I've been a little checked out today. I'm not sure if there's been a. I'm not sure if there's been like an update or a confirmation as far as if they're going to play or not. I probably should, you know, should look at that. But just knowing that these guys have been moved to probable has to make Kentucky fans feel better about not only you know, tonight if they play, but just moving forward because the in and out and healthy then I'm sorry, unhealthy, can't play, then cleared to go, then re injuring it and not knowing did you really have a bigger Are you more injured now than you were before? Like you know, we actually had a caller last week call in and ask about sort of just the vagueness that you get from coaches about injuries, and I think it's it's it's both things. One, they really aren't doctors, but also they're they're going to keep it as close to the best as they can. So currently Oklahoma two and a half point dogs tonight at home. And Oklahoma's a weird team, a really weird team because you know, I watched him play when they beat Louisville, and I watched him play. I mean they won by the way they won the Battle of Atlantis. I mean, it's easy to forget now because you know, that was a long time ago and they really have had a rough stretch since they left the Bahamas with that championship. But they've got a freshman who's really, really, really special. He was special against Louisville, and he's one of those guys that you know, it's not easy to find these kind of guys, but he is somebody that was a known freshman like he was. He was a four star recruit, so it wasn't like he's somebody that you never heard of, but nobody thought he was going to be this good, and he's been. You know, he's been sensational for him. His name is last name's Fears. Why can't I think of his first name, Jeremiah, Yeah, Jeremiah Fears. I mean, as a freshman, he's a six to four guard. By the way, he's averaging sixteen points, four rebounds, four assists, and in their most recent game, he had twenty seven points, ten assists, five rebounds, and they won.
Speaker 3: They needed to win.
Speaker 2: They got to win against Mississippi State, which I believe I could be wrong. I feel like every team in the SEC outside of like two is either in the tournament or on the bubble. They're currently four and ten seventeen and ten overall, so I have a hard time thinking that they're in the tournament race. But I could be wrong. I could be wrong.
Speaker 3: So other than.
Speaker 2: Fears, they're a little light. They've got Kobe Elvis, who is a transfer from Dayton. Actually was a former teammate of Kobe Brea when they were at Dayton together. But he's averaging about eight points three rebounds. And you know, it's rare for a team to be led so much by a.
Speaker 3: True freshman, but that's that's that's where we are.
Speaker 2: And usually if you've got a team that's just you know, so dependent upon one guy that's a freshman, we're talking about, you know, a Cooper flag or something like that. And uh, Fears is probably gonna be I mean, I think he's an NBA guy.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's gonna be a lottery pick.
Speaker 2: And honestly, if you if you don't know where you're gonna go in the draft, maybe you feel like you could be anywhere between, like pick twenty or late second round.
Speaker 3: You should stay in college.
Speaker 2: Because you can make a lot of money and it could be guaranteed you don't have to worry about risking your draft status. There's always a risk that maybe you fall off and don't get a chance to go pro. But you also could go pro and not get drafted. I mean, that's that's a real possibility too. So, uh, he's he's a really really good player. And I don't I believe their coach Porter Moser is a good coach, Like I think he I think he you know, I watched his teams execute, like I think he's he's he knows ball, if you know what I mean. But he's kind of a tough guy to figure out because he Oklahoma. Like, I don't feel like he's gotten off to a very good start there. I say that, And maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they had a run that I don't remember. But Porter Moser's been there for this is I believe his This is his fourth year and he went nineteen and sixteen in his first year, fifteen and seventeen in his second season, and then twenty and twelve last year, and they did not make the tournament and then this year.
Speaker 3: They looked like they were about to break through again.
Speaker 2: He had wins to start the season against Arizona, Louisville, before you knew Louisville was actually going to be a good win for him. They beat Michigan on a neutral court, and then they got to SEC play and life got hard. Life got really hard for him. That's why they are sitting with a four and ten record and not looking like a tournament team. And what also makes Porter Moser tough to figure out is that at Loyola, like he broke through and went to a final four, and you know that's impressive. I mean, he did well then, but he also got off to like a really tough start and before he got the job.
Speaker 3: That's what's wild.
Speaker 2: He got the job at Loyola in twenty twelve, and prior to that, I mean, he had a losing record overall in two stints at Arkansas Little Rock in Illinois State.
Speaker 3: Like, that's the caliber that he was.
Speaker 2: He gets to Loyola and there he's seven and twenty three in his first year, fifteen and sixteen in his second year, ten and twenty two in his third year. And then of course in twenty fifteen they weren't gonna make the tournament. They somehow won their league. Wasn't it fifteen the year they went to Yeah, they made it all the way to the Uh actually no, I'm sorry. Twenty twenty fifteen. They were I guess an NT team or maybe like a CBI team, but it was uh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Look this guy, he broke through.
Speaker 2: For some reason, I was thinking that that Loyola Chicago's Final four was like more recent than it was.
Speaker 3: It was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Porter Moser because his name acts came up because he got off to and he still is in a tough.
Speaker 3: Spot at Oklahoma.
Speaker 2: When Louis's job was open, his name would come up, and I hadn't really know, Like, I feel like those guys, if it was ever gonna work out and they were gonna be guys that could really consistently be towards the top tier of college basketball, like it would like, for example, Mit cronan. Mccrone's a fine coach, but I feel like mc cronin was gonna break through and be like, you can do a lot worse than mc cronan, but if you want a guy that is going to like consistently like for example, young and hungry guys that maybe haven't coached as long but are really on a good path, like a Pat Kelsey, like a Mark Pope, like a Natoates when he was a buffalo, like a Ben McCollum who was at Southwest Missouri State. Now he's gonna do one year at Drake and probably get a way better job. Like that's a better higher to make than a guy who's done it for twenty plus years, and you could do a lot worse.
Speaker 3: But man, like what's your ceiling?
Speaker 2: So yeah, Loyola before he made a final four, he never made the tournament there. In fact, this is wild porter Moser's first ever NCAA tournament appearance was when he went to the final four, followed up the next season Nit next season, no tournament, But he wouldn't have made the tournament because they were twenty one and eleven in the Missouri Valley. And then in twenty twenty one, another great season, they end up upsetting Illinois in the second round and make the Sweet sixteen. He parlays that into the Oklahoma job. So here he is at Oklahoma four years in, he has a thirty four percent winning percentage in the SEC in the Big twelve combined, and is not going to make the tournament and like probably will get fired and what will this tell you? And he guesses, No, guesses, I'll tell you. And I wasn't talking to Austin Happy. I was just I'm just throwing it out there because my year's per This happens all the time, and I hope it stops happening because it's just it's.
Speaker 3: Proved and to be a foolish thing. In my opinion, dudes who.
Speaker 2: Make a fluky tournament run doesn't mean they're bad coaches, but like that shouldn't be the reason you hire somebody. Porter Moser from two thousand to twenty and twenty one, that is twenty years. Yeah, two thousand and twenty twenty one was.
Speaker 3: His first year as head coach.
Speaker 2: Not only did he never make the tournament other than twice, he had losing records in the vast majority of the seasons he coached. But he made the tournament twice in twenty years, and he won some games, and credit to him, Like that's something that does matter.
Speaker 3: It has value.
Speaker 2: But if in twenty years you get two appearances in the Big Dance and you win two games once and then you have the miraculous run that nobody even knows you did it because it went all to Sister Jeans. She got all the credit for it. I mean, like that can't be why Oklahoma hires.
Speaker 3: Him, Like Frank was his name? No, no, Frank stan Heath.
Speaker 2: Stan Heath, to me is the best example ever of a guy that might not have ever really been a good coach. In fact, he proved throughout a long career he was not a very good coach, but he got a ticket to the dance, and he kept his dance and shoes on long enough to manipulate the college basketball industry to where he created generational maybe not generational wealth, but he made life changing money. Let me give you stan Heath's resume here. He's the best example. He had one season at Kent State, went thirty and six and made the Elite Eight. That's a hell of a star.
Speaker 3: But it's one season. What's that happened? After? What happens?
Speaker 2: After one season with stan Heath at Kent State? He gets the Arkansas job. He's there for five seasons, never wins a tournament game, only makes the tournament one to lose in the round of sixty four, thirty eight percent win percentage in SEC play. But you know what he had won Elite eight run to go get five years of an SEC salary, probably quadrupled, maybe even more than that his salary at Kent State at Arkansas, all off of one tournament run and in five years again he was a loser. So doesn't work out at Arkansas. And there was nothing at Arkansas that made him an attractive higher elsewhere. But you know what, man, he's got an lead eight on that resume and he did it at Kent State. So South Florida, the Bulls, they pick up the phone, Big East at the time they hire Frank, I keep saying, Frank stan Heath. I think I'm thinking of what was this guy who used to coach Missouri in Arkansas or maybe Missouri Frank Heith, Frank, That's what I'm thinking of. Sorry, but stan Heath. He gets a job in South Florida in two thousand and seven. He's there for eight years, wins twenty nine percent of his games in the Big East, ninety seven and one point thirty overall at South Florida, makes the tournament one time, did win a game, but it was a playing game, so they fire him. And then in two thousand and twenty one he gets another job. Somehow, this guy who only has. I mean again, it'd be one thing if like he's young and he's up and coming and man, he's really got a good this guy's about to break through. No, this guy has coached for I mean, this guy got five years and eight years at two different schools and.
Speaker 3: Told you who he was as a coach. A loser.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying he's a loser as a person, but quite literally, he's a loser as a coach in Eastern Michigan. Like, I know, they're the MAC, but they hired him and he's now there in his fourth year. And you know what his record is there, forty four and seventy five. He's won thirty seven percent of his games at Eastern Michigan. And there was no reason to hire him, none but Eastern Michigan.
Speaker 3: You know what they probably did.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, there's nobody else on this list of candidates that applied that's been to the Elite eight. This guy has parlayed one season at Kent State that resulted in a phenomenal run to the Elite Eight. But that was now twenty four years ago, and ever since then he has shown you he is not a good basketball coach. But he's maintained a job making a lot of money. He was making millions at Arkansas, made at least a million at South Florida, not making a million, I would imagine at Eastern Michigan. But he's still getting probably a big time salary. This guy will coach over five hundred games and have won forty four percent of them, and yet he's still getting a pay check. You know what that is. That's that's the NCAA tournament. It makes us really really stupid, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Speaker 3: It's unique.
Speaker 2: No other sport. I mean, every sport it's about what you do when it matters. But man, the Big Dance, it's just a different level of like it's all for nothing if you don't capitalize in the tournament, and like if you really give it some deep thought, like you'll realize, yeah, we got upset, but man, we know we had a good team. But like you can't really you don't. You don't have the ability to celebrate it as much. Like you can win your division in the NFL and fall short in the tournament or in the in the playoffs, and you still can claim, like we want our division if you win your conference, and you know, winning a big winning a winning a Big East or a SEC this year, it means you know, the Big East. I guess what I meant back in the day, like Big East back in the day, or the ACC even whenever it used to be good, because it did used to be good by the way.
Speaker 3: That had a real value.
Speaker 2: But if you end up winning those leagues when they're good, you know what that means, You get a really good seed. And if you somehow have a really good seed like Kentucky who had a phenomenal season when they lost to Saint Peter's not as good but still a really good season last year when they lost to Oakland, like you just it feels weird saying you had a good year when you actually did until the end. So again, I wouldn't have it any other way. But when it comes to like you know, those who make big important decisions as far as hiring coaches, handing the keys to your program to these guys, you got to realize one or maybe even two tournament runs, if they're the outlier, you probably shouldn't hire that guy. So Porter Moser will probably get be by Kentucky tonight, probably get fired at the end of the season and he'll still have a Final four, which again I'm not saying that doesn't matter, like it doesn't count, but that can't be in a twenty year run as a coach. You can't have one season where you did something special and that get you a way better job than the one you have where you'd been there for a long time and in way more seasons.
Speaker 3: Were you bad than you were actually good.
Speaker 2: I didn't even intend on putting my man Stan Heath and a body bag this segment, but we kind of just ended up there. It's kind of naturally happened. I mean, toe tag, body bag. Sorry stan Heath, but credit to you if you fleeced the game. Good stuff, right, stick around Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornons ready on Sports Talks seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: All right, So, the leaders from the Southeastern Conference and the Big Ten are meeting this week in I think New Orleans and they're discussing the issues they have with the college football playoff format and what.
Speaker 3: They're going to propose.
Speaker 2: I don't think is I don't think is wrong, Like I know, these two conferences have all the power, they really flex their muscles, and it seems as if they're going to get favoritism and and.
Speaker 3: Somewhat if it's true.
Speaker 2: But what I get annoyed by is the just the noise about it, Like it really does prove out more often than not that these two leagues are the best leagues in the country and it's not close, but just the narrative about there, you know, there being a billion miles between them and everybody else. That is the case when it comes to money. That's the truth. But the SEC this year really did not deliver. I mean, they they were and they didn't really learn from it. They're still arrogant and they're always going to be. And it's bill is and will always be. I believe the best league in the SEC in college football, just because top to bottom, it just is. But you know, to claim that you are on a different planet and you're basically the NFL light or the NFL you know, minor league, I mean that that's just that's hard to say whenever you don't really have like the dominance to back that up, and they didn't have that this year.
Speaker 3: So anyways, these two leagues will.
Speaker 2: Probably continue to flex their muscles, and I really don't have any issue with it. But what they what they're fighting for now I think is the right thing for the committee to do. Now, will they do it, I don't know, But what they want is to alter the seeding to align, you know, directly with the rankings that the Committee gives us, right, eliminating the current rule that gives first round byes to the top seeds to the highest rank conference champions. We got a real drunk top four seed this year because of the way it played out. I mean, one of them was Arizona State and who was the other? Was it Boise Did Boise host Penn State and get killed? I think that's what happened, right, They didn't because it posts them. They didn't because it sounds like, I mean, I swear to you, it sounds like there's no way the top four seeds ended up being those two teams.
Speaker 3: But I kind of feel like it was.
Speaker 4: Didn't they go to Penn stare or was at that point they were playing at like.
Speaker 2: The Penn State opened this opened their game against SMU and one Yes, yes, so yeah, that's what it was. Boise State was three and Arizona State was four, So I mean, again, it sounds crazy, but they did because we all knew that it was just by proxy, like those weren't that those two teams were not on the top four, but they but there were slotted spots in the top four for conference champions. So the SEC and the Big Ten are fighting to get that changed, and they're hoping that, you know, to sell that the best teams should be seeded they're regardless of conference afiliation, because I mean, it's true winning the Big Twelve like Arizona State did, and by the way, they played phenomenal in the playoff, like shout out to them, they got a bright future. I think we killed Kenny Kenny Dillingham, But I mean they probably weren't deserving of that top seed. I mean, I guess they are based on how the format is, but I don't think the format.
Speaker 3: Should be that way.
Speaker 2: So the issue could be for this to change, it's going to require unanimous approval from all ten football you know, from all FBS conferences and Notre Dame because of the current contract for the ESPN, SO commissioners from the Big Twelve, the ACC and several group of five conferences have been reluctant about making this change because they cite that, you know, it's concerns over losing the financial benefits that are associated with those first round buys, which look, everybody's going to be watching every penny to get spent now because of the money that's going to be spent here moving forward, to share revenue with the athletes, which we'll get to bat any other in the five o'clock hour because Georgia has announced how they're going to share their revenue, which there was a little bit of a surprise there as far as how.
Speaker 3: It's being split up.
Speaker 2: But anyways, even if you you know understand the argument made if it's about money, I wouldn't budge, I mean in any way, but especially now what they're being like. Look, the schools who are gonna be who like Boise and Arizona State getting the financial bump from being in those top four seeds, they need it way more than anybody from the SEC or the Big ten. Those schools are swimming in money. The other schools are probably gonna be okay, but they don't have the bank roll that the Big ten and the SEC have, so you know they're gonna they're gonna fight to keep it the way it is, So the Big ten in the SEC they need unanimous and they're probably not gonna get it. So this could be where they just decide, Okay, are they gonna take their ball and leave and just say, Okay, we don't need you, We'll do our own thing. I mean, I don't know how they could, because there's a contract with ESPN that includes you know, everybody. I mean, I don't think they would do that, but you know, they're gonna try to get their way, and I don't see it happening. So Big Ten Commissioner Brett yor Mark he has emphasized the importance of retaining the financial benefit that comes with those buys. So therefore he's you know, claiming, oh, we're going to we want to keep it this way because we the financial component here is a real reward that we think, you know, we deserve and clearly we need. Jim Phillips of the ACC he's made a point that the current system is comparable to other professional playoff formats that reward conference or divisional champions And to be honest, Jim Phillips, I mean about time he sacked up and had a spine and fought back a little bit instead of being an empty suit. But he actually makes a really good point in every other I mean, I don't necessarily think it's great, but we've known, like in the NFL, how often do you know that a team, because of their division is going to be in a better situation in the playoffs than a team that you know is better than them.
Speaker 3: That's just how it is in sports. So that's actually a legitimate point. So we'll see. They're gonna meet. I think I think they're gonna meet.
Speaker 2: I think they're meeting currently in New Orleans, and then I think there's another meeting set later, maybe in Dallas or something.
Speaker 3: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: But given the legitimate pushback that's already there from the Big twelve, the ACC and uh even the even the you know, the G five teams, right like Boise State, like they got a big payday for being a top four seed, And if the Big ten and the SEC are gonna like talk again, think about it, like maybe this is really just the arrogance of the SEC and the Big Ten on full display. Everybody agreed to this years ago, and these schools need it, they benefit from it, and like the bullies are gonna try to convince them to like go to their go their way, Like why would they?
Speaker 3: Why would they?
Speaker 2: All right, we got another hour coming your way, so hang out. Why would you not listen to this phenomenal program that is coffee and company fuel about Thornton's five o'clock hours next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety