Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, Madison, thank you very much. Folks. It is a Friday night, and believe me, this is gonna be a Friday night show because I have to be honest with you, and I'm still dealing with the post election hangover. I just I'm like in a hole in my life. Like I just, I don't. I'm the anti Dan Ray. Okay, I'm gonna tell you right now, I am the anti Dan Ray. And maybe that's why his hair is grayer than mine. I don't pay attention to the crap. If it's not positive, I don't care. I'm not. I am tuning out the crap. I really am, I swear to God. I mean, I mean, this guy's going, this guy's going to a stockholders meeting. Brian Thompson, You're not at healthcare. And believe me, we all get frustrated with insurance companies. I'm on the phone, Listen, I am. You don't want to mess with me? Like whoeverm I assurance carrier is? I am on them? You wouldn't believe it, like stink on you know what, man? I dialed the eight hundred numbers I make sure I get every dime. I look at every claim. I scour it with like a fine tooth comb. And the key when you're dealing with insurance companies is you have to be patient. You have to be patient. You never let them get away with anything. I get it, I get it. How come this isn't covered?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: And a lot of the times it's because of a code. There was a missing code, they got a number wrong, and it's very frustrating. I understand that, and I can understand the frustration of people in this world, But what is it coming to The guy made ten million dollars a year, So how much does this guy make it? He's fifty years old, and to me it shot and killed on the way to a stockholders meeting.
Speaker 3: I can't believe he didn't have security.
Speaker 2: So this is the type of stuff where like I just got I can't. I can't. I can't deal with it. That's why I did sports for all those years. I had an opportunity to do news at one point, and I don't think my stomach could have handled it. I could not have handled it. I don't know how all these people do it, like you know, uh, CNN and MSNBC and Fox, And how do you do that crap and not have an ulcer? I don't know how Dan does it. God bless him, God bless him, because I can't. I can't do it. I can't do it. I just and I know you're supposed to stay informed, and I get that, and I try to. I do. I try to, like, you know, turn on busy busy radio, you know, in the morning, or listen to Madison here or you know, and you just kind of get a taste of what's going on. And then I go, I'm out.
Speaker 3: I gotta I gotta go.
Speaker 2: I can't. I can't. I can't deal. I can't deal with it. I have to go watch stupid videos on Instagram that make me laugh. So that's why, folks, on tonight's program, it is going to be extremely dumbed down. Well with one exception, we are going to get serious coming up. But you know, just think of me as good Time Gary, all right, if I fill in, just know good Time Gary is here. Okay, here's in this country that we're you know, in debt up to our ass that we have a problem at the border that nobody seems to want to fix that mental illness is running rampant through our country, and nobody's addressing it that we have a problem with gun control.
Speaker 3: Don't call me, don't I don't want to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Because it's just a freaking merry go round of crap that nobody wants to solve. Nobody wants to solve. And I'm telling you, people are tired of hearing about it. Like Comcast, they're trying to sell they take an MSNBC and some of their like the sci Fi Channel and I think an E and they're breaking it off into another stock configuration because people don't want to watch CNN or Fox or MSNBC anymore. They're tired of it. They're like burned out, you know, tune into Ben Parker. That's what I do fifteen twenty minutes and I you know, every half hour turn on BZ radio. Is there anything? Is the world coming to an end? Fine? Good?
Speaker 3: I'm in them out.
Speaker 2: Because Bill Flirty, my program director, is like having a fit. At least I'm saying listening to BZ Radio. I just and I think the rest of the world's the same way. And you know what, it's a problem because that's how people get information and you're not going to know what to believe or who to believe, So you just go on and you vote for who you think and you like. And maybe I'll like this person, I like the way they talk. I don't like that person, so I'm going to vote for that person because I don't like that person more than the other person. I believe that's how Trump got elected. I think more people said I dislike or distrust Kamala Harris more than Trump. I really do. I mean, I think that that's that's what it is. Yeah, I mean, I was listening to a podcast today actually with Anderson Cooper. He's being interviewed and the question was you can check out great podcasts by the way at iHeart dot com. And the interview basically, you know, talked about remember the good old days when Walter Cronkite was doing the news and it's Anderton Cooper pointed out, he said, you know, when Kronkite was doing the news, it was eighteen minutes a night, and it was a newsroom filled with a bunch of white guys. And he's right, and as he pointed out, straight white guys or some closeted white guys. You know, that's one good thing about the media. It's diverse, and that had to happen because CBS News, ABC News, nbceries. We think those are the golden ages of journalism.
Speaker 3: We don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, we just believe what they told us. I mean, I will say this, you have to have sources. We've gone way too far to the other side. Where now any Tom Dick and Harry or however you want to say it, Harriet or however whatever you know, whatever the journalist, whoever the journalist is, they can put something out and you believe it. If you go, wait a minute, is this true? Do I wait a minute? Do I know this? Is this to be true? I mean, you really have to read. You have to pay attention to what you read on social media. Could be maybe, might be hearsay. People are saying, okay, is it true? But talk about this crap? And now I'm talking about this crap. As the great out Wichino said in one of the worst movies of all time, Godfather three, every time I try to get out, they pulled me back. In coming up on the show tonight, I'm done. That's it. Coming up on the show tonight. Things we believed as kids but were never true. I actually looked at this list and I have some problems with it because I think some of the things are true. I mean, you know, one of them obviously is each your pees kids a starving around the world. I mean, you know that that's a lame one. But there are some really good ones on here. Actually, I looked at this because when I first looked at this as a topic, I went, eh, I don't know, but they're kind of funny. So we're going to do that tonight. We are going to talk about battling the holiday blues. That's serious. Doctor Gregory Chance is going to join us. Doctor Gregory Chance is going to join us talking about that, and he has the free trauma tests that he's going to talk about as well. I remember my mom, and it's interesting now as I'm older and I could look back as a kid and realize what the hell was going on. I mean, my mom definitely suffered from depression. Alcoholic father, Uh, definitely a violent My grandfather was definitely violent. I don't verbally, I think I think physically I don't know, but I think physically he was an alcoholic. He lost everything because of it, you know, So I definitely think. You know, my mom suffered from that, no question, with anxiety and and she called it the blase. Like when we were kids, you weren't depressed, Oh you just had the blase.
Speaker 3: I got the blas.
Speaker 2: This radio sta this is crazy. This radio state in Rumford, Maine, a radio station I started at, the Mighty wr UM AM seven ninety, which would go off there at sundown, would play this song like whenever the sun went down, and you go, that'll be the end of the broadcast day of wr UM and Rumford. It was played the song. It would make my mother cry. Every time. I'm just remembering this, I'm having flashbacks and I think back to it now and I go, of course she was depressed.
Speaker 3: She should have been on medication. I think she got unpack. And my mother was the saint.
Speaker 2: She was a nurse. She took care of everybody in town. She was an angel. Put a lot of it on herself. But I remember on Christmas when we were done opening up the gifts, she would all of a sudden start crying, and I'd be like, what, what, what's the problem, Why are we crying? I got my toy helicopter, I got my red Rider bb gun, I got my hot wheels. What's there to be sad about? Come on, Ma, that's ma hey ma, And it happens. Man. The holidays are hard on people. If you've lost someone, you know, it's hard. It's hard. I'll tell you that. Personally, I am in a great mood and I can't wait. I am in the holiday spirit like you read about. But we are going to talk to Gregory Chance about that. And I actually, hey, Rob, we have to. We got to pull out the song by uh Lennard Skinner.
Speaker 3: That smell. I don't know if you remember that.
Speaker 2: Ooh that smell. Now you can buy a fragrance and smell like a food. So I'm going to ask you what food would you be? There's a Chipotle deodorant. Think about this. I'm going on a date. I want to put my arm around my significant other. I maybe want to get lucky, and I'm gonna smell like a taco salad.
Speaker 3: What the hell's going on in this world?
Speaker 2: Plus from the Boston Globe, film critic Odie Henderson joins, us, I we're going to talk about the best and worst Christmas movies of all time. But I've watched two things. The Diplomat on Netflix, which is fantastic. It just had an ending to season two that I was like, WTF what And Conclave I just watched that race finds as unbelievable. I mean it's the ending's a little whacked, but you know, it's hard to surprise the say Tony V. My buddy, the comedian joins us at eleven o'clock and we're gonna talk about his career. And he's doing a gig tonight. I said, can you come on at Eddie says man, I'm doing a gig stand up comics, still going strong, and was on Seinfeld. He isn't an episode of Seinfeld. How many people can say that I was in an episode of Seinfeld. So that's what's on the show tonight. No more serious stuff. Things we believed as kids that are true. Six one, seven thirty. If I miss anything, that's next. We are produced by Marita l Rossa. Rob Brooks is piloting the ship. I'm Gary Tank for Dan Ray. This is wbz's night Side. Oo Oh do you this too much? Come? Whoops? Go on?
Speaker 4: Sign can smell side.
Speaker 1: Now? Back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, Gary Tankway for Dan Ray too. If you guys want to jump on six, one, seven, two, ten thirty. You know, before I get into this, you know I don't take a lot of calls usually, but tonight I feel chatty. Let's go to Gail and situate. Gail.
Speaker 3: You're on wbz's night side.
Speaker 2: What's up.
Speaker 5: Gary, Hey, I'm listening to you tonight as I'm driving home, and when you were describing your mother, I felt like you described my mother to a t I felt like your mother was my mother. It could be exactly the same. I have to ask, is is your mom still around? She's still alive.
Speaker 3: She is not, no, but she lived to eighty four.
Speaker 2: Good run, as they say, I'm so sorry, Well thanks, I mean, but I you know, it's one of My dad lived till he was ninety, my mom to eighty four. You know, my father in law he passed away suddenly at sixty. So you know, I'm kind of I'm grateful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I my mom lived to eighty seven. But I feel like you described my mother to a tea and my mom too. She was not a nurse, but she was a nurse's age, worked in the nursing home. Then she went to a private care. So your mother and my mother are very similar. And the depression is it's debilitating. And I felt, I just felt crushed when you described your mom and what she went through with her father, because you know, when your mom and my mother growing up, they probably grew up at the same time. Was your mom born in the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 3: Oh god, now, my mom was born in nineteen eighteen.
Speaker 2: Oh, nineteen eight Oh yeah, she lived through a depression. Well yeah, because here's the thing like with my mom, and I found this out later on. You know, her mother died at childbirth of giving birth to one of my uncles. Actually, let's see, there was one, two, three, four, Okay, there were She had two brothers. She had three full brothers, and then she had two half brothers and a half sister. And her mother passed away giving childbirth. And I don't think the baby survived either. I mean this so this was like the nineteen twenties, you know, you know, before the depression, and uh, there's no doubt. I mean. And then her dad, her my grandfather, who you know, I didn't meet the guy, but I've heard a lot of things and you know the thing that was crazy about a Gail, she would like give him a pass, Like I just you know, I know, I'm not supposed to speak ill of the dead, but I'm like, I hear stories and I'm like, you know, just what, come on, dude, really And she would say, well, they worked hardy and how life and you know the you know kids of abuse.
Speaker 3: That's how they justify.
Speaker 6: It, right, you know.
Speaker 5: But you know what back in those days when you were a woman, back in those days, just like my mother, and you know, my mother grew up in the fifties and sixties. You you know, back in those days, you did not dare talk against your parents all the thing out. So your mom was born in nineteen eighteen, So was your mom older in age when she had you?
Speaker 3: My mom was like forty six.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, that explains it, because myma was thirty six when she had me.
Speaker 2: Late fish.
Speaker 5: Got it, Okay. Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry. But she's in a better place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's all good. I mean, Gails, it's I don't even know how the hell I got on the topic. I just the thing I like about this show is that I can just come on and ramble. But I will tell you this that in that you know that day and age, the boys definitely get the better clothes.
Speaker 3: They certainly got praised more.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why our parents, our moms became nurses. My mom took great pride in taking care of others, and she was always she took care of herself. Last I remember, I'll tell you, Gail, I remember one time I called home. My mom suffered from reuma toward her critis later in life. Oh my god, holy crap, Gail, Gail, where you been.
Speaker 5: And she had depression just like your mom?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Medication, Yeah, oh, finally they took medication. I mean finally. I mean that's the big thing with depression is you know, I have a I have the director I'm teaching at Emerson and next week I have the director of psychology or psychology for a for the Boston Celtics coming in to talk to kids. I mean, look, there's a there's an epidemic with mental health in this country. Period. It's been ignored. It's been ignored, we haven't addressed it. We're finally starting to deal with it properly. Yeah, yeah, like you know, I she would say, like she had the blase. And now I look back on it, she didn't have the blase. She was depressed, but she had told like on one story with my grandfather, you know, got into it my uncle Jim and like went after him with a knife. He was hammered and like, and my uncle Jim didn't drink, like a lot of my uncles, like my mom never drank. My uncles didn't drink because they saw what it did to their father, right, you know, but there's no doubt that.
Speaker 3: You know, she oh, what was I saying? Oh?
Speaker 2: I called home one time, I'm talking on the phone. She'd fallen off the bed and she was in between a table, a coffee table, in her bed. She wouldn't tell me, and my father told me later. He came into the room and found her there, and he goes, well, why did you tell? Why didn't you tell Gary so we could have you know, not that I could have done anything, but she wanted We kept talking, like for another twenty minutes. She wouldn't say anything because she wanted to just keep talking. I mean, that's the type of parents we had, you know. It was everybody else first them last.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I'll tell.
Speaker 2: You something Gail, and people need to remember this. And we're going to talk about this coming up at nine thirty when we at nine o'clock. When it comes to mental health, and I have read this, you can't take care of anyone else. You can't take care of your kids, your significant other, your parents, you're until you take care of yourself.
Speaker 3: That's right, and that's what people need to remember.
Speaker 5: And that it sounds like your poor mother suffered. It's too bad she didn't go on, you know, get medication until much later. My mother never took medication. My mom didn't take anything. I know in anxiety. She's anxiety just like your mom. It's delicating.
Speaker 3: Oh and here's the question, Gail, do you have anxiety?
Speaker 5: I do?
Speaker 2: So I had this discussion.
Speaker 3: With a therapist.
Speaker 2: I said, because it's you know, my mom's anxiety was off the charts. And I said to that, I got and I noticed certain traits in myself in certain situations, and I said, is this hereditary? Is it is it?
Speaker 3: Is it genes?
Speaker 2: It's it environmental? And the doctor said both. I go, thanks, but I could have figured that out. But it's definitely, you know, it's definitely both you know where you know and of course back then, back in the early seventies, they called it, oh, you're just a worry ward. You know, well, being a worryward is hanging.
Speaker 3: Anxiety, exactly what it is.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what it is. Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah, there's no doubt about it. And I hope people, you know, again at nine at nine o'clock, we're going to talk about it. Around the holidays, talk to people.
Speaker 3: Get health.
Speaker 2: It's really hard, though, I do know, it's hard to find a therapist. It's like if you if you you want to start a business. Therapists are like booked, which is good and bad. It means that people have finally woken up and are addressing mental health, right, but it also means it's a shortage of therapist, which is how you have to You have to really search out there.
Speaker 5: People like your mother and my mother, and then I'll this is this one last thing I'll say, and then I'll get off the phone. People like your late mother and my late mother, they deserved compassion and understanding, and they didn't get it. People, you know, when they were growing up, people would think, oh, what's wrong with them? They deserved compassionate un They did.
Speaker 2: Get but here's the thing that I will tell you that may make you rest a little easier. I don't think they realized it. Like, I don't think they didn't really, they didn't think anything was wrong. And you know, like my and I don't want to make it. My mom lived a great life, you know, my sister. I think she's very proud of my sister. And she was my sister and myself and her grandkids, and she was married to my dad for forty something years.
Speaker 3: They had a great marriage.
Speaker 2: But looking back on it, I see I see uh evidence of it. But I don't think she recognized it. I don't think your mom recognized it. They just said I got the blase or you know, you know, or something like that.
Speaker 5: So that's thought it was normal for her to be down. Normal for them, yes, you know, and it wasn't normal.
Speaker 3: No, But here's the reality I think.
Speaker 2: I mean, what do I know. I've I've listened, I've paid attention. I've read a lot about this stuff. I've talked to a lot of people because it affected my family. I find it interesting. I think any sort of mental struggle is part of the human condition for whatever reason. And I think it's this way when we come out of the root womb. And it might be a defense mechanism, is that we think of the negative first, and it might be a defense. It might be a defense mechanism where you think, all right, I need to be concerned with what's going on in my world.
Speaker 3: What could hurt me?
Speaker 2: Right? Like the first thing when I get out of bed in the morning, I don't go, Man, it's gonna be a great day, you know, like those stupid cereal commercials. Man, it's gonna be a great day. I'm gonna go to the gym. I'm gonna get everything done on my list. The first thing that happens to me when I wake up in the morning, I'm like, oh crap, what do I have to do today?
Speaker 3: What could go wrong?
Speaker 2: It's the first thing that happened and I and I and I have to change my focus.
Speaker 6: But I think that's a defect way of thinking.
Speaker 2: But I think that happens to everyone because I think it's a defect mechanism with being our survival right.
Speaker 5: And I hate to say it, I feel like it's mostly men that think that way.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, I think so too, because women are more secure. Gayl thanks for the call. Pal, take care go. Okay, that was an outstanding call, and I have my list that I still have to get to, but I wanted to talk to Gail. We will continue to talk more about that discussion coming up with psychologist Greg Chance, but more I guess more of the crazy things we believe as kids and they say they're untrue. Semi challenge. That's next on Nights Out of WBZ.
Speaker 3: On Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome back, Gary Tangling for day tonight coming up.
Speaker 3: Not a here in double nine o'clock.
Speaker 2: I tried to say holiday blues this season, Doctor Greg Jans is gonna join us new fragrances that you can you can buy a cologne that smells like a Dunkin Donuts Boston cream donut. You know, when I was reading these, I was like, Okay, so I'm gonna smell like a Boston Cream donut. Does that mean I would say you know what? You know what I want to say, But I think I'll get in trouble if I say it begins with E, ends with T with an A, or you want to smell me? Ook? God, Oh, we got another call.
Speaker 3: Let's let's do this.
Speaker 2: Let's talk to Stephen Maine. Steve, O, what's up. You're on WBZ.
Speaker 4: Hey, Hey, hey.
Speaker 6: Gary, you're gonna have No, I'm not going to I'm not going to repeat what I did eight days ago with it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Steve. I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 6: You may think your ram went on, Gary, but I really enjoy getting to know you. You know about your family history. And I didn't realize your mother was born in nineteen eighteen. My mother was born in nineteen thirty two. We shared the same birthday together.
Speaker 3: Wow, wow, Yeah, so was she born in Rumford?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: It wasn't everybody up there, I know, I know kidding.
Speaker 3: You got that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad was. My dad was nineteen fifteen, my mom was nineteen eighteen. So yeah, I was like an accident, Like I was a bait, you know, one of those miracle babies that couldn't happen.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, no, no, you're not an accident, remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks Steve. I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Look, you got the great voice, you got the great pipes. I just let everybody know on Facebook that you are on and I said, I said. I sent an audio eight days ago to Tom Kelly, Tommy Dick Stewart. Yeah, my cousin Dick and Mark Palmer's wife Stephanie. They all loved it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's well those they're all great people, man, I mean, yeah, Hey, what's going on? Do we get some snow?
Speaker 6: Well, it was supposed to get up in Maine, was supposed to get a coating to two inches on the coast.
Speaker 3: I live in Freeport, Oh, Okay.
Speaker 6: And I didn't get to tell you last time we talked because we were on other topics. But I lived in Massachusetts for thirty years. I left, and yeah, I left in October of eighty five. I started in the hull well started to hang him for six months, a three's company situation with a girl from a good friend from EU Maine, Farmington. Because you know, I majored in basketball. Yeah, I only lasted a half a year. But you wouldn't know. You wouldn't have any idea who my teammate was. He was a former a recent NBA coach.
Speaker 3: Oh I know Stevie Clifford.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Steve and I and Steve Burns with a three teams three teams yet three Steves on that eighty eighty one team with Beavers semifinals. Yeah, we lost to Franklin Pas eighty seven to seventy three.
Speaker 3: My sister went to New Math.
Speaker 2: My sister went to Yeah what she studied special ed. I mean you guys are all teachers, right, I mean pretty much everybody's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you though. I'll tell you Stevie. This is interesting. Steve Clifford came in. I was doing the Celtics pre and post game show at the time, so I'm hanging around the garden, right, And I remember because the Rumford Falls Times, that's or the Lewis and Son they would have all the game stories of like um f or Umo or baits or whatever. And I remember pictures of Steve Clifford and then he then when they I saw him at first coaching. He was an assistant when he came in, I think he was coaching the Hornets, and I went up to him and I said, man, you were a lot slimmer and you had hair back when you were playing some years Humane Beavers, and he was like Ford and I was like, I was like, dude, I grew up in Rumford, and uh yeah, he was, yeah, he's done great, Holy cow man.
Speaker 6: Yeah. We uh we had a he was a defensive type player, and you could you could see the coaching him back then too, you know. And he was a sophomore when I was a freshman. Yeah, we were one to three. I was one of three Steeds on that team.
Speaker 3: Ray McKenna, two from Rumford, played.
Speaker 6: On Yes, right, big Red, Big Red.
Speaker 2: I know, all right, we're.
Speaker 6: Boring people again there.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I just talked to people. It doesn't matter to me.
Speaker 6: I know. Hey, Gail was very sympathetic and very compassionate. Woman, Gail. It was a wonderful call from you. I just want to let you know. If he's still listening, there you go, all right, yeah, thank you. Keep rambling on about your life. I really appreciate it. You got me chuckling here in my truck driving back to Maine from uh Pennsylvania. That's what I do for work.
Speaker 2: Oh well, good luck with bean.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'll see you.
Speaker 2: That's what I do.
Speaker 3: You know, you guys want to come in here for four hours.
Speaker 2: I'm going to ramble. I just rambled. Steve the Coonzo I don't know he called me. I haven't seen that guy, like thirty years. He played center field for Derrego High School. He was a really good athlete.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That was another good thing, you know, with high school sports. And I know there's still big around Massachusetts. The super Bowl's going on, the high school super Bowls. That stuff's great. You know, that's the one thing because I got burned out covering sports. But man, high school sports is still where it's at. My kids played well. My son played it. You know, I have a my my youngest daughter's gonna play. She'll play field hockey and lacrosse. He's gonna be in high school next year. Friday night football. It's still awesome. The super Bowl's going on. That's still awesome here in Massachusetts. And you know the parents are a little whacked, but that's nothing new. But like I've been Maine where we would go, I mean Steve's team Derego, they win the state championship like two years in a row. Came out of nowhere and they'd go up to Bangor, Maine, and everybody would come. I'm in for the tourney. The attorney at the Bangor auditorium. Anyways, good to hear from him. I will get back to my topic. H lies when we were kids that turned out to be true. I think at six one, seven, two, four thirty here on WBZ, Gary tangway for Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World nights since two years on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: As you can tell, Dan's not here tonight because that's uh, He's a smart guy. He does the heavy lifting, not me. I can't take it anymore. I'm just keeping I'm dumbing dumbing down, BZ. That's what we're doing here in WBZ Danuy program nights up. Gary Tango here. Okay, my childhood was a lie. Twenty things we believed as kids that turned out to be totally untrue. I'm going to get to these, and I believe this is a kid. If you cross your eyes, your face will get stuck that way. I still refuse to cross my eyes.
Speaker 3: I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.
Speaker 2: I hate it when somebody else does it to me. I want to throw up when I see somebody cross their eyes. Oh my god, I want to puke. And I probably believe this till I was like eighteen, Uh eating peas. No, I never believed that kids are starting around the world. Okay, this one, I do not believe. This author said this is a myth. You do not in fact, need to have pain to gain. That is bull crap. If you're gonna work out to lose weight, you gotta suffer.
Speaker 1: You do.
Speaker 2: I don't care. I mean, I don't know if I do orange theory. And the only way I've ever lost weight is with orange theory because I get on the treadmill and I need to get into the orange zone and I am sucking wind. If you want to lose weight, you gotta eat right, So it's a mental pain. You can't eat junk, you can't eat the good stuff. You can't eat on your rings, you can't eat fried pickles. You can tell what I like. You can't, you know, have a HYPOSTRROOMI sandwich got them getting hungry. Yeah, I gotta hear right. And if you're gonna work out, I don't know. So now they're saying like, oh, okay, well you can just stretch and you can do light exercise. Yeah, but it's not gonna do anything. It's not. I mean, look, when you stretch now in your fifties, pH that hurts. But if you want to lose weight, if you want to get in shape, you gotta hurt you.
Speaker 4: You just do.
Speaker 2: Anybody that tells you any of these ads. That's you know, any of these ads and all this stuff. You don't lose weight easy weight. There's no such thing. And there's no such thing.
Speaker 3: God probably isn't bowlding when it's thunders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an old one. I never believe. I never heard of this one. The blood that is on the way back to my heart has never been blue. I don't really underst stand that one. Going to sleep with wet hair gave me a stiff neck. My mom told me that all the time, and I believed it. I totally bought it. Also would give me a cold if you went outside. They say, if you went outside with wet hair, you'd get a cold. I don't think that's true either. Oh, here's another good one. I'm pretty sure there's not any Okay, there's a gum rattling. If you swallow your gum, it's gonna rattle around in your stomach. For years, I never heard that one. My mother always told me if you swallowed your gum, you'd be constipated for a month, and again I believed it.
Speaker 3: Sitting close to the TV, you will go blind, it will hurt your eyes.
Speaker 2: That's probably true.
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 2: It says, I swim all the time after eating, and I'm perfectly fine. I still think you got to wait thirty minutes. If you have a big lunch and you got you gotta get a sight eight. I understand. I've heard that's a myth, and that's just something our parents told us. But I disagree. I think you're gonna I don't think you should. I don't think you should swim right after you That's quite what I think. This one says, I eat a ton of carrots and I still have night blindness.
Speaker 3: It is true.
Speaker 2: I've looked this up on the internet, so it must be true. Carrots can help you see better because they contain vitamin A, which helps you adjust to a certain vision in the darkness. It's good for your cornia and good for your lens. So there, I'm gonna clean my ears. There was something else I was thinking about that people told us if you did too much as a young man, or quite frankly, maybe as a I don't know, I'm not really aware of that side of the street. Whereas a young person, well, if that was the case, I'd be giving Stevie Wonder a run for his money. Okay, oh yeah, my eyes are gonna pop out when I sneeze. This one was really cool, I think. Okay. It says boys do, in fact make pastes of girls who wear glasses. Glasses on women are hot. My wife has a pair of has like three pairs of glasses. My wife's a smoke show anyways, but I mean she has three pairs of glasses that are outstanding. So yes, women who wear glasses can absolutely be hot. Very few people have been eaten by piranhas. I thought I've only seen it in movies like the movie Piranha. It says piranha attacks on humans are very rare, so I did not know that. So there you have it, Folks, eating carrots will help your.
Speaker 3: Eyesight and doing the other things you will not go blind.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Alex. Alex has been waiting. Let's go to Alex and milliks, Alex, youre a WBC's nightside. How you doing?
Speaker 6: He's your human Barry.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was told that if you drink your milk you'll grow up to be tall, and eat your vegetables.
Speaker 5: You'll be big and shrug. So all my adult life, I've one hundred and thirty two pounds, five foot.
Speaker 3: Six well, you know something, you're not overweight.
Speaker 6: In maybe in China.
Speaker 3: No, but you know, I mean you ate your vegetables, so you're not overweight.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: That's something about milk though, too, because you know something, Alex, I drink the.
Speaker 3: The nut milk there, the almond milk. I know, I know, but you know what, I drink it.
Speaker 2: In my coffee.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's my wife says that.
Speaker 2: Man, that's what I do too. All right, Alex, good stuff, Thank you, yest your vegetable so you can go to be big and strung.
Speaker 3: Patent Boston, you're on WBZ.
Speaker 4: Hey, how you doing. Hey A pimp told me when I was a kid, use your ear wax to make sure that lady is good down there.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, Wait a minute. Okay, use my ear wax to make sure a woman is prepared for intercourse. You're telling me.
Speaker 4: She's nott no disease, she won't have no disease, she got she's.
Speaker 2: Okay, So uh, ear wax is gonna cure an STD.
Speaker 4: No, it's and you know she's burning, so stay away from him, all right.
Speaker 2: Pat thanks for the call. Eait a minute, that took a turn. Excuse me. Wow, all right, Pat, that was a different one. So I guess if you're a young man and you're going on a date, you want to make sure you don't clean out your ears.
Speaker 3: You just never know what you're gonna hear. On wbz's Night Side. You just don't.
Speaker 2: You just don't. You just don't. All right, it still come. We are going to talk about Battling the Holiday Blues coming out next with doctor Gregory Chance. We'll do the best and worst Christmas films of all time. We can take some calls on that. With Boston Globe film critic Odie Henderson, my buddy Tony V Comedia checks in at eleven o'clock. I just want to talk to him about his career. Guy's been a comedian for like fifty years. You know, he's part of that whole crew with like Steve Sweeney and Lenny Clark, you know, Don Gavin, just Boston legends. I'm telling you, the funniest people in the world are from Boston. They are O'Malley Rogan. Whether you agree with Rogan or not, I'm not getting into the politics and all of it. Stand up coming Stephen Wright, stand up comedian Bill Burr, Bill Burr, You kidding me? Stand up comedian? All good, right there, Plus we will get into new fragrances. People are wearing deodorant that smells like food, which I mean, I guess if I want to smell like a meatball that's appealing, I guess. I don't know. So that's all coming up here on WBZ. We are going to take a break for news. Robin my good now, I'm sorry, I lost track of time. Okay, we'll take a break. Do news get back to you. On the other side, dealing with holiday depression,