Speaker 1: Multiple people in my family clean my father are veterans.
Speaker 2: Troops that have been to war and now they're back.
Speaker 3: And think and be grateful for their service.
Speaker 4: Sacrifice, love for their country, just unselfishness, all.
Speaker 3: That they do for us.
Speaker 4: There are some people in this country who take extraordinary steps to provide for the freedom and security.
Speaker 3: We forget that those people exist.
Speaker 1: We know them as the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard. They call themselves soldiers, seals, rangers, airmen, sailors, devil dogs, and so much more. We call them fathers, brothers, sons and husbands, mothers, daughters, sisters and wives. We call them friend and neighbor. These veterans answered the call. Now we answer theirs, and they are the best our country has to offer.
Speaker 3: And we love them.
Speaker 1: Today, we honor them and we serve them. David Malsby is your host, and he welcomes you to this community of veterans, as together we are building the road to hope.
Speaker 3: And glad to have you along on this Sunday afternoon on a KPRC the nine to five oh and the AMD. I'll thank you for joining us as you drive around endlessly on Loop six' ten or The Boat way or The grand Park, way. Whichever when you Use glad to have you along those of you listen through The magic, podcast thank you for. Listening and you can listen wherever you listen to. Podcasts just look For road To Hope. Radio there we. Are it's all. Free we truly do appreciate when you hit that subscribe. Button it'll automatically download when the shows are dropped each and every. Week and when you share, that you never know who might come into contact with, us hear about our, services hear a story that gets their, attention and, hey it's all about Sharing. Hope so thank you for doing. That thank you for being a part of. IT i got a couple of veterans in the studio with us, today Got justin who is on our. Staff we'll hear a little bit of his. Story another veteran The center program At Camp hope right, now and you're going to hear a little bit of his story as we go throughout the course of the. Show, first big thank you to our. Sponsors allow us a little time to bend with you each and every. Week, FRIENDS A Corey diamond And Design ACRI A Corey diamond And design two eight one four eight two forty, seven fifty, Five graduation seasons, coming wedding seasons, coming some big times coming up for that special moment especial someone A Cory diamond And design two eight one four eight two forty seven to fifty. Five will you will not regret? It great people that you can trust and share your. Values steam dot com because well we all have Those oops Moments Oops steam Dot com two a one eight two two zero five six. One we had them out again this past week and do great. Work very much Appreciative Jason troy and his entire Team Oops steam dot. Com and when you're ready to get that piece of property At, texas that a little bit Of, texas the yours for your dream, Home Republic, Oops Republic Grand ranch Dot. Com republic grandranch Dot. Com because it's not just enough to have your dream home is to have it in a dream. Location Republic Grand ranch would be surrounded by people who show your values out. There Republic Grand ranch Dot. Com all, right justin want to reintroduce yourself to the. World, yes good. Afternoon my name Is Justin.
Speaker 5: LEWIS i am An army veteran from the first Combat Aviation, Brigade First Infantry division out Of Fort, Riley. Kansas And i'm a staff member At Camp hope now for the past four. Years AND i Graduated Camp hope In april of twenty twenty, one and so this is my graduation month and my four years of working At Camp.
Speaker 3: Hope AND i love WHAT i.
Speaker 5: DO i love everything About Camp hope and THE Ptsd foundation Of. America i'm From, Houston, texas.
Speaker 3: And congratulations four. Years that's. Awesome Fort, riley that's got to be one of the the not top ten places anybody wants to, go, Right that's What that's what most people told me WHEN i was In. Korea that was my first duty station.
Speaker 5: With korea in two thousand and, five two thousand and, six AND i had got orders BECAUSE i didn't. DECIDE i didn't really move fast enough on DECIDING i want to go To Fort benning OR i want to go To.
Speaker 3: Hawaii that's what a lot of people are say In.
Speaker 5: Hawaii, yes twenty FIFTH id was out, there and that's what a lot of people like to go out there because Of. Hawaii BUT i didn't do that fast, enough and THEY i got orders For, Raley, kansas and they were telling.
Speaker 3: Me, oh, man but coming from a long were you?
Speaker 5: THERE i was there two thousand and six all the way until twenty eleven WHEN i got an honorable discharge out of the.
Speaker 3: Army but most of the TIME i was In.
Speaker 5: Iraq though most of the TIME i was we were getting ready to deploy or we were deployed WHILE i was. There but the TIMES i, wasn't it was it was okay because you, know most of my families From, arkansas and being from the, CITY i kind of liked to get out of the city a lot of, times and just.
Speaker 3: Being out of the, city not a lot of entertainment choices around, there not really not, really you, know you, KNOW i LIKE, Nascar so we went to we got a chance to go to The Kansas Motor, Speedways so there you. Go that was very cool to do that In Kansas. City you have pretty good. Barbecue, yeah you're not too far From, kansas not too. Far, yeah Although i'm not sure about their. BARBECUE i guess it.
Speaker 2: Was it was.
Speaker 3: Edible, yeah put enough sauce on, it you can eat. It, yes that's. Funny, Yeah i'm glad to have you back In houston with the barbecues. Definitely, YEAH i don't have to have sauce to eat, it, right you're right about. That we also have a veteran that's in our program currently At Camp, hope which is our interim residential program for veterans dealing with combat related TO. Ptsd want a quick. Introduction who you, are where you're.
Speaker 4: From, yeah my Name's Benny saban From, Hayward. Wisconsin it was with The United States navy boord the USS Cre sarge and also did two years with The Army National guard out Of heyward seven twenty Fourth Fordsport.
Speaker 3: Company we've had a few guys that have done multiple. Branches it's been in a while so as we've had one on the, show so good to get into that a little. Bit where are you?
Speaker 2: From Originally, Hayward, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: WISCONSIN i hear a little bit of that. There, yeah just a Little.
Speaker 2: Yeah we talked to our nose every now and.
Speaker 3: Then it's the accent, though it. Cancer, yeah it's like la. Yeah. Yeah we were talking earlier and getting to know you tell me about the different lakes up, there and it was a pretty good. Conversation it's too, cold it's too hot In. Texas, SEE i will take the heat over the, cold and the heat's. Uncomfortable cold hurts the older you. Get, yeah you'll figure it out sooner or. Later all, right we'll get into a little bit of his story and a little more adjustins as we go along the. Way this Is road To, hope, right we'll be right.
Speaker 1: Back who drops the crowd and the place so, loud, baby it's, like get.
Speaker 3: Out, man and we welcome you back To road To Hope. Radio glad to have you. Along god JUSTIN I State's ARMY. Vet four years Of Camp. Hope that's, awesome, Man that just that makes me, happy just makes me and to think of all the change that's transpired in your. Life H, yeah it's just it's a reminder it can work if you work it just, Sir, YEAH i JUST i worked over. Weekend do to you this.
Speaker 5: Weekend it's like everything happened according to How god wants it to. Happen AND i think that's the biggest THING i had to, understand and coming To Camp hope helped me understand.
Speaker 3: That like. ACCEPTANCE i didn't even realize THAT i was the way THAT i was UNTIL i got The Camp. Hope like talking to counselors about fear and this fear based and as you're trying to control. SITUATION i was, LIKE i THOUGHT i was far from. That but THEN i started.
Speaker 5: Realizing more THAN i need to give up the control and trust in The. Lord and in the past four years a lot has.
Speaker 3: Happened, yeah very positive changes In justin's. Life it's. Outstanding happy for. You we've also got Ben United States navy And United States army veteran uh So wisconsin where it's way too. Cold we've already established. That did you go into The navy right out of high school or was?
Speaker 4: There, yeah we started the process WHILE i was a, senior directly after nine to, eleven and then it.
Speaker 3: Was a nine to eleven kind of a motivator for that or not really quite a.
Speaker 4: Bit AND i wasn't sure about college at the. Time that's the next best bat BEFORE i got in too much. Trouble that can, happen you know that age. Happen no clear. Direction why did you choose The? Navy, actually my grandfather was Uh, navy SO i followed in his. Footsteps, really he was In World War? Two, okay do you don't know where he? SERVED i DON'T i know he was cook. Nice he Was atlantic, side so he's east. Back he never had any combat or any submarine problems.
Speaker 2: Or anything like. That that's about ALL i. Know, yeah he didn't talk much about.
Speaker 3: It shouldn't none of them ever. Did, yeah it wasn't there a, thing all. Right so you served how four?
Speaker 4: Years four Years navy and THEN i got out AND i was actually roughly nine months LATER i was recalled by The, navy BUT i found out about The Bludha green. PROGRAM i didn't want to go back because WHILE i was in The, NAVY i was doing a lot of search and seizures when we were In columbia and things like, that drug, Raides SO i kind of wanted to stay in them. Lines BUT i knew IF i went back there just bring me back to be an elevator. Electrician SO i switched to The, army which is blue to, green and they made me a water purification.
Speaker 3: Specialist that sounds. Fun oh, yeah that was.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah so where all were you? Deployed you Mentioned columbia during The, Navy.
Speaker 4: SO i was, Golf, Iraq, Maraine, panama did a little bit of Around, africa was never in, country and then north Of South america in The, atlantic So, Columbia, cuba and then we did a lot of search and seizure in The gulf Of.
Speaker 3: Mexico up, north doing the same thing in the. Right.
Speaker 4: Uh, no In iraq weate part Of Assault, division so we were deploying marines.
Speaker 2: Music?
Speaker 3: Gotcha, sure, yeah, yeah, yeah all, right, Okay and so you were out a couple of years before you joined the.
Speaker 4: Army, uh it was roughly roughly nine, MONTHS i can't. Exactly and THEN i got the recall. Letter so THEN i had another three month process of getting into The army and a second boot, camp which is.
Speaker 3: Wonderful you weren't as young the second. Time all. Right did you feel the? DIFFERENCE i can. Imagine, YEAH i was very.
Speaker 2: Different.
Speaker 3: Uh and where'd you deploy in The?
Speaker 4: ARMY i actually never deployed with. THEM i did help with all their workups and things of that nature BECAUSE i was only.
Speaker 2: Doing one year. Contracts.
Speaker 4: Gotcha and we were about to, deploy BUT i found OUT i was having a little, girl SO i decided not to extend my.
Speaker 2: Contract that's WHEN i ended my military. Career got you?
Speaker 3: Understood? Uh quickly a reminder ask everyone to get your phone, out put this phone. NUMBER i get it in your phone so you've got it when you need. It and maybe you're not the one that needs, it but you will come across somebody that needs, it so have in your. Phone it's better to have something and not need it than need it and not have. It so please put this in your. Phone eight seven seven seven to one seven seventy eight seventy. Three that is The Combat Trauma Support line at THE Ptsd foundation Of, america answered twenty four to seven by a combat, vet someone who's been through our program and received a great deal of additional, training or before they receive the opportunity to serve the organization through the what we lovingly call THE bat. Phone eight seven seven seven one SEVEN PTSDs eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three, again you never know when you may come across a, veteran a family member of a, veteran a friend of a veteran that, knows somebody that's struggling and needs somebody that they can talk to that actually, understands not a psych not someone just reading answers off a, screen someone who's, deployed someone who's been in, there someone who's, lost someone who's smelled it, all seen it, all experienced it, all brought it home with, them and then learned how to cope with that eight seven seven seven one seven seventy eight seventy. Three the website's ptsdusa dot org for all of the information about not Only Camp, hope which is our interim housing. Program we bring veterans in from all across the, country every era of, combat every military, branch all the informations, there all at zero cost to, you the family the, veteran zero. Cost and in addition to, that we also have our support groups that we run for combat, vets law, enforcement first, responders contractors have been in those, groups and we also run support groups for family. Members and that can be a, family it can be, friend it can be even a, neighbor just somebody that cares about someone who's struggling to be a part of that support group and help get informed about WHAT ptsd, is how it's showing up in the behaviors of your love and your, friend and how you can help support them in those moments of. CRISIS ptsdusa dot. Org by the, way we've mentioned it a couple of, times but here we are Next, saturday The Crawfish bash down AND i think it's Basically Texas city Or. Lamark maybe It's, lamark but it's what was called The mall of The. Mainland it's right. There so many of you ever have you ever gone To galveston From, Houston you know where The mall of The mainland. Is but there is a, major major crawfish. Event so this is the one you do not want to. MISS i know there's a lot of crawfish boils Around houston this time of. Year this is the one you do not want to. Miss there will be some sixty ish cook teams from around noon to around. Six you can visit any or all if you can eat that much crawfish that is all you can eat for that say. HOURS i think the wristbands right now are thirty. Bucks so you want to go, online there will be a link on Our facebook. Page just look For road To Hope radio On. Facebook there will be a link there where you can buy the risk. Band because it's less expensive to buy the wristband before than it is to buy it. There plus speeds things up once you get. There you get in and by the, way there's a lot more than. Crawfish there's an entire carnival going on for the. Kiddos so it's a great family, environment a lot of fun for the. Kids there's live music will be, there which who needs crawfish will be. There oh, YEAH i mean just come see. Us and the added bonus is you'll get to eat some crawfish way. There it's, great but it's an all day. Thing it's a lot of fun goes the party goes on into the. NIGHT i leave before the party. Starts i'll leave that to. Others but the crawfish, BASICALLY i think it's noon to. Six they're serving the cook teams and it's a lot of fun and supports a Great Causets foundation Of america as well as a few other small nonprofits that serve the children of the. Area so, again if you go to The facebook Page road To Hope radio On, facebook we'll have a link there and click on that and get your wrist band and get it taken care. Of all, right we are going to those of you listening on the nine to. Five, oh we're about to run to our bottom of the hour news. Break after that we'll come. Back we'll hear a little bit more about your time in the, Military, benning and justin jump. In don't be quiet over, there jump on in anytime you. Like and, again wherever you listen to, podcasts just look For road To Hope. Radio we do appreciate you subscribing and. Sharing you never know who might hear it and need The. Hope it's being offered TODAY ptsdusa dot. Org road To Hope. Radio wherever you listen to, podcasts we'll be right back with More road To Hope radio and were welcome you Back road To Hope. Radio David malsby, here glad to have you. Along all, Right, ben here's the question of the. Day are you ready have crawlfish in wisconsinish.
Speaker 4: All lobsters and you all got mug bugs down?
Speaker 2: Here we?
Speaker 3: Do, yeah we eat the claw meat on. Ours, okay all, right very? Nice, yes makes. SENSE i like. IT i presume you're a. CHEESEHEAD i.
Speaker 2: Am.
Speaker 3: YEAH i was afraid of. THAT i almost didn't ask BECAUSE i assumed you were going to say. Yes, well we have to limit how many people we allow in a Camp hope at any given. Time from the other side Of Mason Dixon, lines it's, just you, know we gotta limit. That SO i don't know where we're at on the ratio right. Now do that barbecue up?
Speaker 2: There not really we.
Speaker 3: Could i'm glad you don't even. Try that's that's the best.
Speaker 4: News we actually we steal it from everyone else and make it just a little bit.
Speaker 3: Better by putting cheese on. IT i don't know what's what's In wisconsin that makes it. Better i'm not so sure about all.
Speaker 2: That probably, not but we like to think so of.
Speaker 3: Course you, yeah stay, Pride it's all. Good uh uh. Okay so join The navy four years out roughly nine MONTHS ishu into the army three years combat a lot of snaps and grab you talk, about and the drug stuff and going on. There when did you clearly your camp? Hope so you clearly there's SOME ptsd that's going on. There so when did you first notice something was not what it should?
Speaker 2: Be about three four years AFTER i got, out.
Speaker 3: After you got up that was, yeah.
Speaker 4: YEP i went to THE va AND i got the whole meds. Schedule at one point they had gone through twenty seven different, ones and THEN i didn't like them no, more AND i quit and ended up just kind of burying it to the best of my ability with work and ANYTHING i could.
Speaker 3: Find what kind of work did you?
Speaker 2: Do landscape?
Speaker 4: Designer, okay, ye my family has a pretty good sized garden.
Speaker 2: Center that's WHAT i.
Speaker 3: Did you'd enjoy the design, part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, YEP a lot ate up a lot of. TIME i can.
Speaker 3: IMAGINE i would think seeing a design come to life would have to be really a pretty cool. Experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's from paper to actually be in. There it's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Joy, YEAH i can. Imagine so you obviously went home after you got out of the. Military, YEP i went back to. Hometown, okay so a few years, afterwards when you begin to notice something's, up what was the tail to signs for you?
Speaker 2: That, UH i have a lot of.
Speaker 4: SECLUSION i did start drinking pretty good at that, time AND i went in. CYCLES i might stop AND i come. Back i'd have some angry issues here and, there actually quite a few, times but and a lot of, anxiety a lot of. Depression just then feel LIKE i had a real place. ANYMORE i was kind of making things up AS i went, along try to fill a hole that wasn't.
Speaker 2: There, sure that's way to put.
Speaker 3: It justin he, mentioned you know the twenty seven. Meds did when you went to THE, va did they throw a bunch of pills at? You or, yep that's the first. Thing it's, like you go.
Speaker 5: THERE i was in the OEF oi of, clinic, Right they have a lot of veterans come back to that go, THROUGH i, know The HOUSTON.
Speaker 3: Va that's how it. Is you go through the OEU foi of. Clinic they talked to you and then they recommend, it as you know the psych the psycle on the sixth floor here In. Houston they recommend different type of.
Speaker 5: Meds AND i would get on the meds for a, while and you, said drinking on the meds and you, know self medicating at the same time trying to take the meds at the VA's offering. You it just gets very confusing and very hard to adapt, to like reality and what's reality and what they're trying to get me to. Do and it wasn't the real HELP i, NEEDED i know that. Much and it really didn't. Work it started just getting worse and worse BECAUSE i wasn't, stable you, KNOW i didn't have a stable, place like you. SAID i was still wondering What i'm supposed to do with my purpose especially after the. Military you have so much of a purpose in the military and then you lose all of. That so, definitely i'all can understand where you're coming.
Speaker 3: From saving, yeah and this isn't to put anybody or anything, down just want to hear your. Story in addition to the, pills did they do anything? ELSE i, MEAN i, know, OBVIOUSLY i know not everybody that. Was i'm just listening To. DAVID i know you ended up. Homeless SO i just did they do anything service, wise anything else of note other than here's the, prescriptions, counseling that's. It just talk to a, psychiatrist, doctor, psychiatrist and then how often did they want you to do?
Speaker 5: That that was just to get the, medication to get the, pills just to tell my little bit of my, story and he wasn't really, Listening so that was like it was just Like i've heard this.
Speaker 3: Before here goes the. Pills was that every three months or you don't even. REMEMBER i would.
Speaker 5: TRY i would try to go there as much AS i needed, to but it was kind of like shining away from going to THE va BECAUSE i wasn't REALLY i wasn't really accepting what they were trying to do far as just like you, said being the white coat like a, doctor, right and it's not somebody that's been through it like a.
Speaker 3: Clinicial you, know he's just.
Speaker 5: Trying he's just LIKE i think he was about to retire, too so it make it even. Worse he was just, like oh, GOD i was just saying.
Speaker 3: Over, THERE i know you're not that like. That you've got a lot of energy compared To oh, man you're not as old as, him but you're definitely not in the. Heart yeah too. Late you got a.
Speaker 5: Young spirit That i'm there with you all all the way to to the.
Speaker 3: End and this isn't, again this isn't too it's not the VA's. Fault it's one about to. Mention but that's kind of the the problem of going at it strictly from the clinical, view because you're handing a guy who's struggling with his mental. Health here's here's a cocktail of. Pills uh, well first of, all can you even trust, him, right because they're mentally not. Well but here's a whole bunch of pills that all have serious side, effects not only mental side, effects but it's gonna affect all your major. Organs when you're taking all that kind of. Medication, yeah and so just out there on your, own especially once you reach the place where you're, homeless and, like, man that's just a, toxic toxic. Situation, benny was any different for you when they gave you the? Pills did they offer any other assistance or.
Speaker 2: No no other.
Speaker 4: Assistance what was different from me Was i'm so far north In wisconsin that all of our stuff was done through just the video, calls so they could send me to any psych. Anywhere at one, POINT i had three different at the same, time and they weren't communicating with each, other.
Speaker 2: SO i was getting three doses of Different.
Speaker 3: Now there's a STORY i haven't heard, before Justin i've never heard that one a little.
Speaker 4: Different they were tracking. It and WHEN i SAY i didn't care about, nothing what's?
Speaker 2: EVERYTHING i. Was was this BEFORE, Covid, yeah long.
Speaker 3: Before so it WASN'T covid.
Speaker 2: Driven, no it's twenty distance.
Speaker 3: Driven which is a part of the problem with THE vas also had for a, while you, know and a few years ago there was some effort made In congress to try to fix it to a, degree AND i think it helped a little. Bit but they just have a lot further than they need to take. It but this whole idea of. Uh for, instance you could live in let's Say, Cyprus, texas and if you had an eight thirty appointment at THE vau mean you would have to if you had a, CAR i, mean you would have to leave probably about six thirty to get through traffic get to the. Hospital then it's going to take you twenty five or thirty minutes to find a place to. Park if you're familiar with The BAKER va at, all it is notorious for parking. Issues and so the question, was, well why are you driving past literally probably fifty to seventy pharmacies to go get your prescription filled at THE va when you could get it, filled you, know three minute walk or a five minute. Drive and that was part of the. Problem so they had you on three different doctors at the same time and none of them.
Speaker 4: Talking none'm talking to each, other, Right and, yeah they're all three of. Them only one of them had me on two medications and the other ones had me three to.
Speaker 2: Four SO i was TAKING.
Speaker 4: I, Mean i'd have a full rack with those, weekdays AND i was taking the whole rack for the. Day WHEN i SAY i didn't care about. ANYTHING i didn't care.
Speaker 3: About, nothing, Right and getting back to the problem THAT i just mentioned that they're handing out medication but there's no oversight and how could THEY i, mean you're, living you, know. Wherever so Again i'm not blaming, Them i'm just saying it's a problem that has to be figured out because they're they're putting, guys they're teen guys up for, failure that's what they're. Doing like.
Speaker 4: It it took me to a point after we finally figured out what was going on THAT i had done some pretty bad things just because it's like the sense of caring about anything other THAN i, mean not even really.
Speaker 2: Myself at the.
Speaker 4: TIME i don't want to feel that way, again SO i do EVERYTHING i can to stay away from.
Speaker 3: Medication, yeah, WELL ptsd alone can do, that just shutting down the filter in the, brain like there's no right or, wrong it's just shut. Down then you throw in the, cocktail make some, meds and especially if you're adding alcohol to, it like there's a there's a recipe for. Failure all, right we're gonna take a quick. Break we'll be right back with more Of road To. Hope radio got Justin, Benny we'll be right back and we welcome you Back road To Hope. Radio all, Right, so, uh basically seven is years in the. MILITARY a few years, later four years, later you start realizing there's some issues going on and go to the, a start the medication, thing get tired of, that and just completely go off the, meds, right is that? Right all? Right so that was a while. Ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah when did you arrive At Camp?
Speaker 2: Hope uh The december thirtieth this year or, no last?
Speaker 3: Year, YEAH i got that's a lot of time in.
Speaker 4: Between, yeah, YEAH I I i bury everything was as much work AS i possibly, could just to have something else to worry. About then WHAT i should have been worrying, ABOUT i guess is the best WAY i can put. That if it had to do with, WORK i could go to social, Interactions but if it, DIDN'T i didn't want.
Speaker 2: To have anything to do with. Them.
Speaker 4: Really i'd usually be, camping, hunting and fishing by myself IF i. Could but after a WHILE i even lost interest in. That.
Speaker 2: Yeah ONCE i started stop doing, THAT i knew there was no.
Speaker 3: Problem, yeah that's my. Passion, sure, yeah, Yeah well we want you to get it.
Speaker 2: Back, oh, yeah working on.
Speaker 3: It give me a story of an overview of what led you, to you, know realizing you needed something Like Camp hope where THEY i mean just you needed help and how did you hear about? Us just kind of walked me through that a little.
Speaker 4: Bit, well it's it's actually so in. BETWEEN i had been trying to actually seek help Because i've known there's a, problem But i've been denied so many times for different reasons and whatnot insurances or not qualifying or not having a. DIAGNOSIS i believe it was me and my Girl. Chris we started researching in all kinds of places and she Found Camp. Hope and there's the first ones to, say. Yakamon yeah it was the first time hearing, That SO i didn't hesitate AND i was on a planet on the way.
Speaker 3: Here, yeah interesting. Timing just simhear the thirtieth, Like, OKAY i got, IT i understand been. Here so you've been here four and a half ish. Months how are we.
Speaker 4: Doing i'm doing a lot better THAN i. Was i'm starting to design baits. Again in my off time at. CAMP i really.
Speaker 2: Want to go. Fishing that's driving me.
Speaker 3: CRAZY i was gonna say that we might be able to fix. That we might be able to do something about that. One, yeah that's coming up right. Again, HEY i don't want to mess up the name of the.
Speaker 5: Event, yeah M i don't Want warriors.
Speaker 3: Weekend, yeah it's just talk about some of, it but think about crawfish and then, Yeah warriors weekend is coming, Up, Yes wars. Weekend, yeah you able to go down The mexico or go For american it's water and go fishing off the banks of uh Of. Texas so you're gonna you're gonna have a great. Time it's a great. Weekend. Yeah you make sure that you don't miss that. Bus, uh you'll be treated. Cruelty it's, truly it's an amazing. Weekend uh they do they just they treat everybody so great on. Those so hopefully you get to go fishing here real, quick what's changed for? You what's what's the different in your?
Speaker 4: Mindset the counselors that can't hope have been absolutely.
Speaker 2: Amazing they no.
Speaker 4: Meds we've just been working through different things and we started new saying called cognitive, therapy Which i've never experienced, before which has been huge because one of my biggest problem with avoidance starting to learn that and get things. Out not having an hour twice a week to do it is Something i've never had. Before it's helping a lot good group of guys THAT i. Have we do a lot of warrior groups even within the house ourselves plus the warrior groups that.
Speaker 3: That's the peer to peer. Thing, man it, Works it, helps, works it works afterwards, too if you just stay in contact with the. Guy that's one of the beautiful things About Camp hope, is, uh you, know everybody come from different places and different, experiences in different, backgrounds but all the shared experience of you, know trauma while in the. Military so there's that shared experience that draws everybody. Together but there's this whole bunch of strangers from all across the country at all different age, ages age, ranges, goodness but they become friends for life, afterwards AND i love seeing that take. PLACE i just think that's one of the coolest parts About Camp. Hope this is just you, know we talk about side effects for. Pills this is a side effect From Camp. Hope you've got a lot of brothers out.
Speaker 5: There WHEN i first got The Camp, HOPE i didn't realize how like.
Speaker 3: How bad it was for me BECAUSE i.
Speaker 5: WAS i got there and it was they just went straight to the warrior group or straight to the. Conflicts it was, conflicts AND i you, KNOW i heard everything that goes along in, conflicts. Right and then, AFTERWARDS i mean they were all coming at each other like this and that and just kind of trying to figure things. Out and then afterwards it was like giving hugs and SAYING i love.
Speaker 3: You AND i hadn't had that in a.
Speaker 5: Long, time to be honest with, you like hugs and someone tell me THAT i.
Speaker 3: Love, you and you, know it's like, okay, yeah, right where my? At, yes what's going on? Here?
Speaker 2: Yeah it.
Speaker 3: Worked it wore on me real. Quick, yeah you, know AND i.
Speaker 5: Still do that to this, day just tell PEOPLE i love them AND i care for them and love like they say in The, bible, right love is the.
Speaker 3: Key do you remember the first step four that you heard of?
Speaker 2: Camp, YEAH i put me in. Tears it was.
Speaker 3: Interesting helps guys realize one that they're not as unique as that's all they were, Like i'm the only ones. Ever, yeah, no you're not stand in. Line but you, know back to the whole cognitive, therapy it's like it's huge it's absolutely, huge and, yes it's forcing you to dig down into all those corner recesses where we've packed junk away and wanted to leave it, there and forced to not only bring it out, there but to tell the tell the whole. Room but everyone in the room gets.
Speaker 2: It that was a.
Speaker 4: Big thing WHY I i had said avoidance, earlier IS i started, avoiding you know WHAT i had going, on especially because trying to talk with people back home about things THAT i had done or combat That i've, seen they just want to grass the. Concept within the first week or two of being In Camp, hope it was back to having conversations with the same guys as me, is and we talk a very different. Lango when it's just us. There we have a humor that a lot people don't understand and the things that we started laughing about immediately WHEN i got in, there it was like all right back to normal for a little bit, here started figuring things, out and it's working doing what it.
Speaker 3: Said it's going to any trauma related and it doesn't matter what it. Is but any trauma related, groups the humor can get really, dark really really, dark and it doesn't matter what the trauma. Is it can get really, dark really. Fast but, YES i. Understand hey, man happy for the progress that you've. Made just keep doing, it keep doing the, work keep, learning keep working through the, frustration the, doubts the, fears just keep working through. It, definitely you got a good guy sitting next to. You it's got a. Story. Man if you haven't heard, it making tell it to you on the way, back because it's proof that stick with. It absolutely life. Changing absolutely life changes up to. You what you do with it all. Right, again, reminder wherever you listen to, podcasts just look For road To Hope. Radio we like The iHeartRadio. App it's. Free we're sitting In iHeart studios right now as we do. This but wherever you listen to, podcasts just look For road To Hope radio and we will greatly say thank you for not only, listening but subscribing and sharing those. Podcasts there's a lot of, stories a lot of. Hope and by the, way it may not necessarily be combat related trauma that to you or someone you, know LUs the stories can still bring hope and. Inspiration road To Hope radio thank you for. Listening look forward to being with you again next week for more Of road To hope radio