Speaker 1: Ato five here Kentucky, and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas we will talk with Rory O'Neal of NBC News coming up at eight thirty. And obviously there will be one specific thing that we discuss, and I'm sure you know exactly what it is I'm referring to, and that is an Operation Midnight Hammer. As Donald Trump let us know last week that two things. One, he was well aware that everybody wanted to know what he was going to do and was clearly interested because obviously that's a big decision. They could have some major implications. But he knew that nobody knew for certain, and I got the sense that he kind of liked that.
Speaker 2: Maybe that was just me.
Speaker 1: But then also he said, roughly two weeks. I think, no, I think it was exactly two weeks. Time will be when the decision is made within a two week window. And I assumed that we'd get a decision much sooner to that date whenever it was late last week than two weeks from then. And I guess I was right, because the decision was made, and uh, it happened, And obviously that's been the story, and sort of what happens from here. That's that's anybody's guests. And I'm sure there are there are many that that have an idea or what they expect will be the outcome of this on both sides, meaning from what Iran does and of course what the United States does as far as either moving forward and and and you know, maybe maybe maybe maybe in the end we'll learn that Iran was was not not able to follow through with what they claim is going to be a real retaliation, or maybe they do retaliate, and then we we've got to we've got to respond in a certain way. So I've said this throughout the morning, and it's not some type of hot take, as they say. I don't know, is that is that a thing in news talk? They say hot take? That's more of a sports thing. I suppose, right, But I don't think this is a strong, bold opinion. I don't think it's out of line to say. I think it's rather obvious. And sometimes things that are rather obvious end up needing to be said more than you would expect. And that that's why I think anybody that's trying to tell you that they know for certain where this goes good or bad. They're just guessing. Nobody truly knows. But here's the announcement from President Trump on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Our objective was the destruction of irans nuclear enrichment capacity and a stop to the nuclear threat posed by the world's number one state sponsor of terror. Tonight, I can report to the world that the strikes were a spectacular military success. Iran's key nuclear and Richmond facilities have been completely and totally obliterated.
Speaker 1: So I don't say this really with any opinion or approval or being not satisfied. But if you saw the breaking news on Saturday and you ended up finding a way to its television or maybe just on your device, because that's how a lot of people consume content now, and you just wanted to know, and it makes sense. I mean, I found myself regardless if I was in this position that I'm in now, I mean I was. I wanted to hear and I wanted to get what you know, I wanted to hear what was said by everybody involved. And if you were somebody like me, which I'm sure millions across the country were, just because it's a big deal, it's an important thing, was it not exactly what you expected from Trump. But again, anytime I say things like that, I can already tell I can sense it that there's those that are maybe a little bit triggered. As if I'm saying that in a critical way.
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I mean also, I'm not saying it as there's any great approval from Maya, not that he needs or anybody would would would would care about my approval of anything.
Speaker 2: But it was exactly what you would have expected.
Speaker 1: I mean, I could see John Alden there in the in the in the production studio. You know, you knew exact I mean, if I gave you the script of what he was going to say, you knew how he was going to emphasize certain things and spectacular I mean, that was.
Speaker 4: I honestly wish people would stop being shocked about the way that he kind of carries himself.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean, these people get so anything he's consistent with delivery and with just you know, him being him right or wrong, he's at least he's.
Speaker 2: I'm sure he's a where it aggravates people as well. Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of things that he has done and said, even when he's you know, the president has been rooted with him knowing it may aggravate some people. I think there's a level of emotion involved in a lot of decisions made. And look, that's not just him, trust me. That's I mean to go back to the the online, and it wasn't just online.
Speaker 2: It was a real thing.
Speaker 1: But when you had Trump and his administration throwing jabs at California Governor Newsom, and then Newsom of course getting involved as well. I mean, it wasn't about what the message no longer included what was good for the people, or what was good for those that you know, maybe are here illegally but are not a threat and are not criminals. It's just it was a finger pointing of can you believe how awful this guy is? Can you believe what this guy did? And I think it's because there's especially I mean, look, let's just be real.
Speaker 2: It'd be the biggest.
Speaker 1: Lie in society for a certain a certain percentage of the far left to not acknowledge that they are insanely triggered by him.
Speaker 2: And he knows that.
Speaker 1: I think he utilizes that. So yeah, that's that's where we are. But again, Operation Midnight Hammer. I just like saying that that's fun again. I'm telling you, if I told you that was the name of the WWE's next pay per view, and it wasn't the strike that America took, you know, took out on Iran on Saturday.
Speaker 2: You believe me, wouldn't you? I think you would.
Speaker 1: All Right, we've got rory O and heill come your way eight thirty. We'll talk more about this and also an update of traffick and weather's coming your way right here on news radio eight forty. Whas. Let's talk about kid rotting. Yes, that is kid rotting. If you if you quizzed me before I read this at Good Morning America what that means, I wouldn't. I would not have guessed what would it actually is. But kid rotting is a trendy term for what summer break used to look like for children, meaning before we had devices and PlayStations, xboxes and what's the new Nintendo game that's sold out?
Speaker 2: The Switch? Yeah, the Switch.
Speaker 1: So a lot of parents, of course rush to sign their kids up for anything in the summer camps programs, and that's good. I think that's more productive than them just sitting in the house playing video games all day. But what they're encouraging is that kid rotting is a good thing because experts say that it can be productive. Where whenever you've got the free time and you know, there's worried that they're just going to be bored and lazy, sometimes the free time and being bored can lead to being creative, learning to be independent, and really using your imagination. Now I'm not old enough yet.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: My kids aren't old enough yet to relate. Like my son, he's well, I guess I can. I mean, he's just turned five years old and he has a PlayStation five. He spoiled he has, I mean, he's got anything. He has enough to where he should never get bored. We cannot buy another thing. He could not leave the house until he turns eighteen. And there's no scenario that young man can claim he's bored. He's got stuff to do.
Speaker 2: And I've just assumed that.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're you know, and again I know I'm spoil spoiling my child, and I need to make sure that he understands that moving forward, when he gets older, he doesn't just get things because he wants them. You know, you should be appre Gifts should be gifts because of certain things like a birthday or Christmas, or because you had a good report card, that kind of stuff. So my wife and I are trying to be mindful of that because we like to spoil our kids because and at this age they seem receptive to where they do appreciate it, they thank us. But there's at some point got to be a line of Okay, you don't just get anything you want. So anyways, I totally understand how this would in fact be really beneficial to just don't completely shut them off to where you take away the YouTube and the screen time and all that, because you don't want to just completely cut them off cold turkey, but having a dedicated amount of time that you think makes the most sense for your kid to just think for themselves and like use their imagination. I mean, it's not just kids. I mean, I think I'm guilty as anybody. I am consumed by a screen in front of me for way too much of my day, and it mostly is my phone, and you know, you can do a lot of things on your phone. I don't know what I would do without it. You know, the balancing of the power of technology and how it can can help us in everyday life balancing that as well as where we can just become too consumed by it to where we don't even know how to socialize with people anymore. We don't even know how to think for ourselves. Or I mean, like most kids. And man, I sound like an old fart right now. I sound like the old get off my lawn guy. But like I don't think kids today, at least most of them are, you know that have YouTube and PlayStations and all that and tablets devices.
Speaker 2: They don't know what bored is a right.
Speaker 1: They don't know, I mean even when you're I mean, I remember as a kid before I had a game Boy. Remember game boys? That was like, that was the cool thing back when I was a kid. But I didn't get bored on road trips because I wasn't in my room. I was at least able to look out the window and see certain things. Anyways, we'll talk a little more about that when Tony Venetti stops in. But we've got an update of sports coming your way right here right now, first traffic and weather, and then Rory any of the NBC news is going to join us to get the latest on the United States. Is well, Donald Trump's decision to get involved here with this war between Iran and Israel. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on News Radio eight forty whas. It is a forty five here Kentucky, and it's Morning News on News Radio eight forty whas. Fifteen minutes left roughly for us, and then we'll hand it off to Tony and Dwight. Tony, have you ever heard of kid rotting? No, let me tell you what it is. It sounds awful, right, Okay, So rotting is actually something that according to Good Morning America's story here that it's it's a trendy term for what summer break used to look like for children. So kid rotting is when you just are sitting in your board and they're saying that kid rotting is now good for your kids because if they take some time away from the screens, the video games, that kind of stuff, they can get bored, and that could be good because then they'll get creative, they'll be independent, they may realize they've got an imagination, they may realize what an imagination is because they're not as consumed by screen time. I think this is legit, and I said earlier when I was a kid. Bored to me was just literally not like just like sitting in isolation, I would get not excited. But if I was on a car ride, eventually I would maybe get a little bored. But it was nice to just be able to look out the window and see things I haven't seen. Kids now, when they say they're bored, I mean like it has to be something to do for ninety seconds.
Speaker 4: It's exactly they haven't. They're like, I'm bored. You just did something. I'm not here to entertain you for the day. Figure it out. But I think you're exactly right. That's why they say when they go to sleep. When your kids get a little older, they got to go to sleep. They have to have that time where they lay in bed and they're not sleeping, but they're looking at the ceiling think and they have to think and they have to figure out what the day happened and process all of it self.
Speaker 1: Reflection, even at a young age, is really when you kind of get a feel We don't even realize it, but it's when you get a feel for kind of who you are. Because because now there's a time you said fifteen seconds, If my son goes ten seconds without without the tablet.
Speaker 4: Think about it when in the summer, you know, all the bikes are in your front lawn and all of you all are sitting in someone's living room and going, I'm so bored. What do you want to do? Let's go throw rocks at the abandoned house.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 4: You figure something out, but that's that's part of summer, right, I mean, that's paying Now. There are book clubs you can do if your kids are read.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's summer camps and those are that's more productive than being in front of a screen, because that gives you a chance to socialize and interact and meet new kids in the summer.
Speaker 2: Summer that you don't go to school with every summer, and I.
Speaker 1: Don't That is something that as a kid, there's a lot of things I didn't realize at the time, but that is so valuable when it comes to just being able to interact with human beings. If you're just in isolation and you don't even realize that you could get to be a teenager or certainly an adult and you just don't really know how to socialize.
Speaker 4: My only acidy, my only advice for the summer stuff because the summer costs us more money than the tuition for their school. Okay, because you this week is Lego camp, the next week is football camp, the next week is whatever.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: I will encourage people to put them in more academic division schools rather than linebacker camp or division whatever camp, because.
Speaker 2: Get some good balance. You got to get search balance with sports camp that kind of stuff. That's right.
Speaker 4: The odds of your kid being that special athlete or are going to be a lot less than hey, they might get an academic scholarship over a sports scholarship. So science camp, math camp, stuff like that is good. Lego Camp Bellerman has a Lego camp. They have a million of them. Put them in that, or send them to Camp Piamingo, which is like a nineteen fifties camp and out on Dixie Highway, and they do you know, the canoeing and the bow and arrow stuff.
Speaker 1: You know what's wild is I think the thought of that to a young kid who maybe only had experienced a camp that is for a sport or anything else, they would think, oh my gosh, what they do, this is all They would end up loving it.
Speaker 2: They would they would end.
Speaker 1: They would get they would probably have a little bit of a tough time initially, but then they would end up.
Speaker 2: They would they would they would make friends.
Speaker 1: They would play like that's the word play, Like when you would ask me as a as an eight year old nine year old in my neighborhood with my friends and we would ride our bikes and we'd we'd play basketball, then we'd wait for the ice cream truck. I mean, I don't know what we did, but we play. Now if I say play play what, Yeah, you would play PlayStation? You woulda play basketball. I'm like, no, just go play.
Speaker 4: Darryl Isaacs talked us into because his kids were going to Piamingo And I dropped John off when he was seven for a seven day stay away camp. And when I picked him up that next week, he was a different child. He was a completely different It was like he figured it out right, Like I got to do all of this stuff on my own, don't I It was I tell you that the away camps the best thing you can do for your kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it didn't really hit me until reading this story from Good Morning America how rarely kids are ever alone with thoughts and that at times can be bored, but it's also, I mean, if you've never been there, I just feel.
Speaker 2: Like you're turning to a robot. Yeah, I mean that's kind of scary.
Speaker 4: Well you get well, we see some of the young people that come into the office. They're like robots. I mean that's what they have been programmed. But it is he said it, not me.
Speaker 2: I don't care. In fact, I know you don't care.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, you're well a where they're sitting thirty feet from us, right yeah, yeah, I tell him, I tell them speaking of camp, yeah, one one thing that if there's one word you could only use one word to describe Pat Kelsey, it would be energy, right sure, yeah, yeah, one of the words. Well, the basketball camp for kids, his camp at UFLA starting today, and I just saw a video that these works. He posted. Parents and kids are walking in. He's at the door, let's go, we're.
Speaker 4: Gonna get better today. He's you know, he's.
Speaker 1: He's so hyped and I'm just like, of course that's what he's doing. He would be the coach that's just standing there waiting for kids, and you got to match that energy early and okay, but.
Speaker 2: We all know this.
Speaker 4: Ten years in Caliperry's act got old. Right. They were talking about this the other day. Who coached at the hardball Michigan Stanford all that. You see, he's got a little bit, he's got a window to coach, and everyone loves that hard ass, you know, old school football thing until they don't like it, right, they're just like this is old man. Answer a question.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what we didn't experience early on with Pat Kelsey in any way, we don't know how fans will react to that consists positive energy NonStop when they are really struggling like they this year. Anytime they did hit a little bit of a rut early on, there were legitimate reasons as to why that was the case, or we just knew, hey, no matter what, we're better off now than we were previously. Like if they hit a slide where they're really struggling, I mean, again, it's a good thing that it didn't happen, But you're right like that that same level of energy and just overly optimistic and enthusiastic. Our fans are crazy, yes, right, I mean we all this guy's great, and then everything we loved about him will be weaponized against him if the winds don't come. Kind of like a marriage, Yes, exactly, because we're lunatics. The clicking in your jaw was really cute for the at first, and then after about twenty years of marriage, you're like, can you do something about that clicking?
Speaker 2: I really like how how funny you are now I wish you would just shut that up. Is the reything you have to be a joke. I wasn't talking.
Speaker 1: About you, honey, I was just saying, just just saying it all right. Tony and d Wider next right here on news Radio eight forty