Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Quiz Quiz, Bang Bang, the pup quiz practice show that has you peep right in the quizzer. I'm Manny Flora, I'm David Flora, and we're here to teach you more about trivia than there are people getting booed at their commencement speeches. For telling graduates about AI.
Speaker 2: People will boo anything.
Speaker 1: I love booing.
Speaker 2: See boo. There you go. Ah feels good man, it does. Here's something to cheer. Oh we got a coffee.
Speaker 1: Yeah from Half, Thank you, haf.
Speaker 2: I thanks Half, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, that is wonderful. And if there's any graduates listening, congratulations, Wait to do it? Otherwise, is there any business? David?
Speaker 2: Just have the second Saturday of June as our Zoom Trivia Day. That's June thirteenth, Saturday noon mountain time.
Speaker 1: We'll see you there. Otherwise, should we dive in, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Here's how the show works. Whiz Quiz Bang Bang's format is four rounds of four questions, each followed by the answers. After round two, we'll ask a quick fire bang Bang question where you'll have a time limit to give multiple answers. After the fourth round. The show culminates with the Big Bang, a final round with three questions, whose answers are all clues to one final question. Round one. Question one, the category is history. What title did Fidel Castro assume in Cuba in nineteen fifty nine? Question two? Category Food and drink. Shepherd's pie is a meat and vetcha hash in gravy, topped with a layer of what. Question three category games and hobbies in dice games? If you roll a box car? What have you rolled with your two dice? Question four category opera. This one comes from listener Maymi, thank you, maymy, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Mama.
Speaker 2: Name either of the Pierre Augustin Corone de beauma che plays that are the basis for popular operas by Rossini and Mozart. And now the answers to round one. Question one, What title did Fidel Castro assume in Cuba in nineteen fifty nine? Prime Minister? He was Prime Minister from nineteen fifty nine to seventy six, and he was succeeded by himself as president from seventy six to two thousand and eight. Question two. Shepherd's pie is a meat and vegetable hash in gravy topped with a layer of what mashed potato? Delicious?
Speaker 1: So good?
Speaker 2: Question three In dice games, if you roll a box car, what have you rolled with your two dice two sixes? Question four? Name either of the Pierre Augustine Coron de beau Mache plays that are the basis for popular operas by Rossini and Mozart. You have the Barber of Seville and the Marriage of Figuero.
Speaker 1: Those are pretty famous.
Speaker 2: And beau Marche was also apparently a watchmaker, inventor, musician, spy, publisher, arms dealer, and revolutionary both French and American. He got around beau Marche tinker, taylor, soldier, spy, and he even makes Julia.
Speaker 1: Fries Round two. Question five the category is science. This question comes from listener Bobby. Thank you, Bobby, Bobby. I am become death, the destroyer of worlds is a famous quote by which US scientist. Question six the category is language, from the French word for untie what ten letter literary term refers to the final part of a story where everything is resolved. Question seven. The category is musicals, In which musical does Joe Boyd sell his soul to the devil so that the Washington senators can win a pennant. Question eight, the category is animals. What mammal can eat up to twelve hundred mosquitoes in an hour? And now the answers to a round two. Question five, I am become death the destroyer of worlds is a famous quote by which US scientist.
Speaker 2: J.
Speaker 1: Robert Oppenheimer after witnessing the first atomic bomb test. His quote was drawn from the Hindu scripture the Bagavad Gita.
Speaker 2: I think he said that story in an interview.
Speaker 1: He did, Yes, sir. You can watch him say it on YouTube because it is a televised interview.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Question six, from the French word for untie, what ten letter literary term refers to the final part of a story where everything is resolved day new mold. So this is what happens after the climax and all the loose ends are tied up. Which is funny that it means untie. Question seven, in which musical, does Joe Boyd sell his soul to the devil so that the Washington Senators can win a pennant? Damn Yankees? Question eight? What mammal can eat up to twelve hundred mosquitos in an hour? Fat? Sounds like we should get some pet bats, David, just let them hang out by the porch and eat all the mosquitoes so we can actually sit outside.
Speaker 2: That's it for the first half. That means it's time for the Bang Bang Round. The category for this week's Bang Bang Round is music, and this one's brought to you by a major Data. Thank you Major, Thank you Major. You'll have thirty seconds to give as many answers as you can to the following. What are the six games mentioned in RIM's Man on the Moon? Your time starts.
Speaker 1: Now, and that's time. The six games mentioned in RIM's Man on the Moon are Game of Life, Monopoly, Checks, Chess, Twister, and Risk. Now. If you said twenty one, you could make an argument that the lyrics are referring to blackjack. There. The reason we didn't include it is because there are a lot of people who think that the reference of twenty one there is for the game show that had a scandal, because there was a game show called twenty one where the producers secretly fed answers to coach contestants to build suspense and drive ratings, which ultimately caused the show to be canceled.
Speaker 2: Round three, Question nine, Category history. In World War One, the Allied Gallipoli campaign was beaten back mainly by which member of the Central powers? Question ten category art. The convention of painting outside to convey the feeling of being outdoors, called enplanaire, gained popularity due to what eighteen forty one invention Question eleven category food and drink, Which American fast food chain is known for square beef patties? And the baconator. Question twelve category television in Friends after the six main Friends, which character was in the most episodes? And now the answers to round three? Question nine? In World War One, the Allied Gallipoli campaign was beaten back mainly by which member of the Central powers? The Ottoman Empire? Question ten. The convention of painting outside to convey the feeling of being outdoors, called enplane air, gained popularity due to what eighteen forty one invention oil paint in tubes. Artist Pierre Augustrine was quoted as saying, without paint in tubes, there would have been nothing of what the journalists were later to call impressionists.
Speaker 1: Now you don't really think about little technological advances like getting oil in a tube as revolutionizing art but it makes total sense. You can't go out and paint if all your paint is dried up before you set up.
Speaker 2: You could go out and build little shacks for yourself with windows. Question eleven. Which American fast food chain is known for square beef patties and the baconator Windy's Question twelve? In Friends after the six Main Friends, which character was in the most episodes? Gunther He was the barista at Central Perk. Is that right?
Speaker 1: Correct? Yes? Round four? Question thirteen. The category is music. What rock group set a precedent by issuing two albums Use Your Illusion one and Use Your Illusion two on the same date, which was September seventeenth, nineteen ninety one. Question fourteen. The category is film. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies is something Andy Duffrain says in what movie? Question fifteen. The category is language. This question comes from listener Nolan.
Speaker 2: Thank you Nolan.
Speaker 1: What p word is a gymnastics and diving position, the common name for the genus of fish that includes walleye and a simple medieval infantry weapon. Question sixteen. The category is mythology. Which treacherous and merciless monster of Greek mythology would challenge travelers to answer a riddle, and now the answer is to round four. Question thirteen. What rock group set a precedent by issuing two albums on the same day, Guns and Roses. The album's debuted at number two and one on the Billboard two hundred and Solda combined thirty five million copies worldwide.
Speaker 2: That's one way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Question fourteen. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies is something Andy Dufrain says in what movie I better get busy living or get busy watching the Shawshank Redemption.
Speaker 2: Technically he writes it, but he does narrate the letter when red reads it.
Speaker 1: Oh true. Question fifteen. What p word is a gymnastics and diving position, the common name for the genus of fish that includes walleye and a simple medieval infantry weapon Pike also a captain in Star trek Oh Question sixteen, which treacherous and merciless monster of Greek mythology would challenge travelers to answer a riddle? Sphinks interesting that Greek I associate sphinxes with Egyptian am I thinking of the wrong thing.
Speaker 2: Now. In Egyptian mythology, sphinxes were guardians. They were masculine, whereas the Greek was more feminine and often showed strength and ferocity with the head of a pharaoh or associated with pharaohs, you know, things like that. So it's just a symbol of power and guardianship. And in the Greek they had the one sphinx.
Speaker 1: And it was a monster, Yeah, a riddle monster, a kind.
Speaker 2: Brains and brawn. That's it for the regular rounds. That means it's time for the Big Bang Round. The category for this week's Big Bang Round is history. We'll ask you three questions, the answers of which are all clues to the final question. Keep in mind the three clue questions may not be from the same category as the final.
Speaker 1: Question One which Disney character died in a wildebeast stampede?
Speaker 2: Question two? According to IMDb, who is the only actor to have worked with Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola.
Speaker 1: Question three, which actor has played undead characters in Sean of the Dead, Underworld and Pirates of the Caribbean, dead Man's Chest.
Speaker 2: And finally, your Big Bang Question Again, the category is history. A nineteen seventeen congressional act that granted statutory birthright US citizenship to anyone born in Puerto Rico was sponsored by Senator John Shaefrith and a representative from Virginia. What was the last name of the representative, which would go on to be the short name by which the act was known?
Speaker 1: And now the answers to the Big Bang round? Question one? Which Disney character died in a Wildebeast stampede move fussa?
Speaker 2: Question two? Who is the only actor to have worked with Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola Harrison Ford?
Speaker 1: Question three? Which actor has played undead characters? And Sean of the Dead, Underworld and Pirates of the Caribbean dead Man's Chest Bill Nahi.
Speaker 2: And Finally, A nineteen seventeen Congression act that granted statutory birthright US citizenship to anyone born in Puerto Rico was sponsored by Senator John Shaffrath and a representative from Virginia. What was the last name of the representative, which would go on to be the short name by which the act was known? The same last name as characters played by Nihi Ford and the actor who voiced Mufasa Jones.
Speaker 1: So you got James Earl Jones.
Speaker 2: In Janna Jones and Davy Jones.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you're wondering about the other undead characters, Bill Night, he played a zombie in Sean of the Dead and a vampire in Underworld.
Speaker 2: I guess David Jones is kind of like an octopus zombie.
Speaker 1: Octopus zombie. They discovered a news a new zombie. I almost said a new octopus. I guess scientists have discovered a stubby, little legged octopus.
Speaker 2: Uh good, so William Atkinson Jones, who was the representative from Virginia, was the other sponsor of the Jones Shaffrith Act. Shaffrith a senator from Colorado, by the way, and this operated as a de facto constitution and established a bill of rights based on the United States Bill of Rights. Puerto Rico. I had not heard of, you know when this happened. I know, Puerto Rico is basically a territory of the US right or considered under the Yeah, the umbrella. But nineteen seventeen, Yeah, it's been a while and Americans have no idea, no they don't.
Speaker 1: But to be fair to Americans, you're not taught anything about Puerto Rico and schools. But yeah, I would recommend to anyone who's interested in sort of this line spot of ours to read How to Hide an Empire.
Speaker 2: I do have an other fun fact here, The Lion King. Speaking of James Earl Jones, that's the second film in which he and Madge Sinclair, who played Sarabi, performed together as an African king and queen. Jones and Sinclair were also King and Queen of the fictional African nation in Coming to America. Such a good movie, and they did amazing like they are very believable royals.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they're so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Coming to America is a phenomenal comedy film. If you haven't seen it, definitely recommended because it's just so well written and very well acted. Yeah, can't go wrong with that movie.
Speaker 1: Go watch it right now.
Speaker 2: And that's all we got for you for this episode of Quiz Quiz Bang Bang, Thanks for listening. I have been David Flora.
Speaker 1: Flora, here's looking at you, quiz. Can I just say that, in my opinion, we're challenged to way too few riddles in a day. More riddle challenges please.
Speaker 2: If you got it wrong, she would happily and quickly eat you. Okay, I'm like a little steaks in my day too. Yeah, very high stakes