Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, five o'clock here on a Monday afternoon, our first Monday of the year where we have college football and the NFL to react to. I love it. Best time of the year. I've been impatiently waiting for it, as I've told you guys all throughout the summer, and now it's here and it's exciting.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: It is coffee and Company and we are fuel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you joining us. Maybe you've been with us, maybe you're just now joining us. Regardless, Thank you. And also big things once again to Thornton's, Appreciate them. And if you want to do us as solid, you should sign up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program. If you haven't already, it's easy to do. You'll you'll benefit from it right away, twenty five cents off your first fill up just by signing up. You're also gonna save money at the pump every single time you go to Thornton's and use that membership, So it's easy it's free download it. You have an iPhone and Android, both of those app stores are gonna have it, and you'll be better off by being a member. I promise you that. And if not, it's a you thing. Right. If you are a member of the Refreshing Awards program and you don't feel, you know, great about it, and you can't tell how it's impacted you positively, then that's a you problem, not a Thornton's problem. I can tell you that for sure. I said that, not them though, just to be you know it. Don't give me in trouble. We all know that's true. But maybe I'm not allowed to say it, but I did, and I mean it. Don't hit the dump button, John, I meant everything I said. I won't hit that dump. Don't hit that dumb button. Does your button have a have dump on it? It has. It's funny.
Speaker 3: It has like a little engraving that's got like a bunch of symbols that are I guess meant to be like an yes.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of funny. So I mean it makes sense, like if you're gonna dump something like, that's what this is. You want to dump What was said on the air that wasn't supposed to be said or dump, you know, empty airtime, but like I just thought that was like radio slang. This actual board that I assume is, you know, this board in front of me with way too many buttons, way too many lights, not even surely. All I know is I got to hit this button here to turn this microphone on. I don't touch anything else because I don't want to break something. I'm assuming this board costs more than my salary and some But it actually the button itself, like the manufacturer of this humongous board, it actually says dump. Am I child for thinking that's funny, I know, it's very funny. And then it does make sense though, because the actual button says it. But then somebody has put a piece of tape here that also just says dump on it that way, because again, if you're scrambling to find a button really really quickly, it's the dump button. Any other button, you know, I mean, you might want to get to it quick, but like if you're looking for the dumb button, it's because somebody said something on the air that they're not supposed to say. I missed the one we had at the old studio. That's an engine start. Yeah, they didn't they like connect something to it like that wasn't on the board. They actually had like an external button, rit, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: I mean it literally looked like they took something out of a really old car and hooked it up to a wire and you could just grab it and hold it and then you know, push it.
Speaker 2: It's one of those buttons that like in a movie, if it just appeared somewhere like it would probably do something crazy, right kind of what reminded me of All Right, Uh, look, I have no problem saying this. It's not me trying to rain on the parade or be a fun sucker. But I feel like Louisville football season hasn't really started yet. I'm encouraged by everything that I've seen. I feel great about where the team is. You're two and zero now in the top twenties. Some people are still looking at you as a contender for the ACC maybe even thinking you could be a dark horse for the playoff. And now that's not a crazy thing to say because the playoff has expanded to twelve teams. But you know, Louisvill' is the only team in the AEC that hasn't played a powerfour team yet, and again we blame that on Indiana because they were supposed to play Indiana and Indiana backed out, And now that's why we had Jacksonville State. So it's not anybody's fault, there's nothing you can't control it. But I just I feel a little bit of envy knowing that other teams have learned about their team a little bit more than us, in fact a lot more than us. Because again, Louisville, you could convince yourself whatever you want in these first two games. Now I think you'd be a real fool to try to convince yourself that Louisville isn't a good team and that like you're worried, But some people are like that by nature. Louisville took care of business against a really bad inferior opponent Austin p And yeah, they weren't flawless. They were in too many third and lungs against Jacksonville State. Their quarterback ended up running more than I would have ever wanted a quarterback at a place like Jacksonville State to run on Louiell. But for me to actually feel like it wouldn't be genuine, I would be lying if I told you that I was discouraged or concerned, because that's just what these games are. And we had a caller in the postgame show that I thought did a really good job of kind of reminding me, you know, in a different way, as to why I hate these games, because he acknowledged some things that were kind of concerning to him. But you know, like you expect yourself to be perfect in these kind of games, and that's impossible to do. You know, if you had that kind of a game against a bad ACC team, you'd feel great. But because it's Jacksonville State, relatively new to the FCS, and you could just tell by visually looking at the team on the field if they're not the same level as you like, you just you have that expectation to be perfect, even though you know that's unrealistic. But I think when you play those two teams back to back to start the season, I'm not really sure. Louisville. I mean, I guess they could have done better, right, they could have won eighty enough in the other day, But I feel like they're in a really good place right now, and that's all you can do when you play those kind of teams. All you can do is beat them down, and Louisville did exactly that. Certainly there's areas where maybe they could have been a little better, but I think any any real reaction or any real concern from that would be would be nitpicking, to be honest with you. So now we got a bye week to where the first three weeks, I mean, in four weeks, if you consider the week zero, right, it'll be some teams will have played four games and Louisville has yet to really get started because again, like they just the schedule set up that way. Now Georgia Tech will be a real game. It's a conference game. Georgia Tech of course now outside the top twenty five after losing the Syracuse on Saturday, But hey, I don't care. I'm not going to complain about Georgia Tech being unranked. It's still a game where you get a chance to kind of size up yourself against a league opponent. So look, I'm happy Louisville' two and oh, even though those wins came against teams that give you, you know, not a whole lot you can take from It could be worse. You could be Kentucky and be going into a game where you felt like one you were gonna win and you might win big. You knew how important it was. I mean it was. It was labeled as the most important game of the season by the crew on KSR. And I get why because that's if you feel like you're gonna get back to being a bowl team, because you do have a really tough schedule where you play some of the best teams in the country. That's when you got to get and not only did you not get it, you got embarrassed. I mean you got worked that was as sloppy and is poorly prepared as a Stoops team I've seen in a long time. I mean, what makes it even worse is that South Carolina isn't good at all. South Carolina should have lost old dominion. I mean the Kentucky was nearly double digit favorites for a reason because that's how badly everybody thought South Carolina sucked and they didn't even do anything special against you. I mean, we're gonna be honest here, South Carolina and Kentucky need to be saying there thank you to the Southeastern Conference because there's other teams out there given the league a bad look. Auburn losing at home to col A and m losing the Notre Dame at home, and then Notre Dame losing the NIU Arizona State embarrassed Mississippi State, and yet the two worst offenses in college football after two weeks are South Carolina and Kentucky. And they just played each other. I mean, that was not a great display on ABC as the SEC made its debut. Right two SEC teams making their debut on ABC, and that's the performance that you got. I mean, neither team looked good, but South Carolina their defensive line dominated Kentucky's lowly offensive line and made more plays. I mean, and that's what's got to be the most demoralizing thing for Kentucky fans is that, you know, you just watched your team lose what thirty four to six to a bad South Carolina team who didn't do anything special to beat you. They weren't good. They just you know, they took advantage of your poor offensive line play and they were able to take advantage of all the mistakes that you made. So I don't think that Kentucky football is looking at a coaching change after the unless Mark Tuobs just simply wants to do something else, and I'm surprised that it didn't get more run when he made comments about how he's doesn't know much longer he can do it, and all he has to it's all nil. He's doing everything on his own, and he wishes he could just coach football.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He says that coming off of an offseason where he had the Texas A and M jobs, So he thought only for them to say, yeah, sorry, we're gonna have to riscind the offer, because you know, we realized letting our fans know that you're the guy we were gonna go with, Yeah, that wouldn't go well, So we're going to go in a different direction. Like that's what happened. Anybody telling you otherwise is lying that's what happened. So he's probably pretty pretty empty because I think he thought he found that would have been a perfect exit strategy for him, Right, go to A and M, get a lot of money. You've got resources there with Nil that you'll never have to worry about like you will at Kentucky. You can say you left Kentucky in a great place. Even in a year where they were underwhelming, they still knocked off their rival I mean that night when they beat Kentucky or when they beat Louisville, that was the night what everybody thought Stoops was gone, and then you know he wasn't. He just looks to be pretty dejected, and I you know, I could see them having their worst season with Mark Stoops in quite some time. And what and most of that is going to be due to the fact that they have a really tough schedule and anybody that's got maybe four of the top six teams on their schedule coming up in the next couple of months is going to be feeling like, you know, that sucks, right, because it does. But also, you know, I don't know, I think this is just another maybe this is a small thing, but to me, this is another example of this guy. He's not energized right now. He doesn't seem hungry to prove doubters wrong and to salvage this season. I feel like he's just kind of to me, he just sounds like he's going through the motions. I think we get the opportunity to play it for the top six in the coming weeks, so that's a joy. So look, he's done great things at Kentucky. If he wins three games this year and moves on because they're not moving on from him. He would have to move on. They're never firing him. I mean, he'd have to be bad for many, many years for them to fire him. But if he decides to move on, you can still look back and say that that was a successful season for Mark I'm sorry, a successful tenure for Marx Stoops. But it's all based off of where Kentucky was prior to him, and that matters. That matters when you evaluate him. There's no doubt about that. But you know, they felt superior to South Carolina. They feel as if they had surpassed them despite losing two in a row going into Saturday. There's not many schools when it comes to football they can look at and feel like they're better.
Speaker 1: Then.
Speaker 2: They've looked at South Carolina like that for a while. I think they've looked at Missouri like that for a while, and maybe, you know, maybe they shouldn't after Missouri had a great year last year and it's probably gonna beat him this year. But I don't think Kentucky fans have been this down on Stoops since the first few years he was there, and they were like this last year, he said pony up when fans were getting upset about them getting embarrassed by Georgia, And that was a really stupid thing to say, and you can't take that away. It's out there. And then when you lose, it's gonna be something people, you know, should we pony up more? And I'm sure Kentucky fans were making those kind of jokes and whatnot, but I mean, he said that, and then last year they were underwhelming. I mean, they weren't good, and then they beat Louisville in a year where they weren't supposed to top ten, went on the road for Stoops a big deal, and that gave him some new life. That clearly changed how they viewed that season. And I'm not even saying that to say, you know, we're your super Bowl Like that's how this works, man, Like, if Louisville's going seven and five annually, but one of those seven wins is Kentucky, you're gonna view that differently. You just are like that, That's just how this works. Not to say everybody's the same, but most fans, nobody's gonna be aiming, let's go seven and five, that'll be a great year. But that win does mean more than most of the others on your schedule. It just does, especially around here when it comes to bragging rights. So that gave him, you know, some new life. Then they go loose to Clemson in a bowl game. And then this is something I heard briefly on Matt's postgame show Saturday when I was heading out of here from our postgame show, and this makes total sense. Like he didn't break down any numbers, but this makes sense. People did pony up. They did. You know, Kentucky didn't get a whole lot of transfer portal love as far as the rankings and whatnot, because they didn't add that many guys. They did add Vandergriff, which I'm sure was a big in Il contribution to get him from Georgia. They brought in a kid from another kid from Georgia on the defensive line. Like they got some guys that Nil clearly needed to be in a good place for them to get. But I think a lot of the pony and up money that came in was to keep guys like Dion Walker there, to keep guys like Berrying Brown there and Dane Key. So if you do have people that did in fact pony up and then you come out and get blasted by a bad South Carolina team, Like it sounds it sounds over the top to say this is like as low as fans have been with Stoops since you know, he got there and didn't win. But I kind of feel like it is. And yeah, it's only week two, But let's look at their schedule the rest of the way. Who do they have coming in this weekend? Oh, yeah, Georgia, a team that you know might be able to name the score if they want to. And then who do they have after that? Ohio, they'll win that, and then Ole miss the top five team. I mean their schedule right now, the only teams that you feel like, you know you can beat is Ohio in Murray State. And yeah, they're gonna claim they can beat Louisville still, And that's why I get I get, you know, I get PTSD from last year because Louisville losing to them last year will make it to where they could be three and eight going into that game and still feel like, well, we'll beat Louisville And that may be ridiculous to say, but and I know last year's game in the year before that, and the year before that had nothing to do with this year's game. But like last year was the was the year for Louisville to end the streak, and they didn't, and it's gonna make it to where they could have the worst season ever. They could get beat by one hundred points on Saturday against Georgia and they might not be real loud and chesty. They'd probably be, you know, down in a major way, but they'll still be able to claim bragging rights and scoreboard against Louisville. And I just wish that would have ended when it should have ended last year. But as I said earlier, because I did us some people asking this question when I was talking about, you know, if the more Kentucky and I'll say this, like I'm just being honest with you as a Louisville fan, the more Kentucky sucks this year and the more Louisville succeeds if they do, in fact have a good year. And when we get closer to that game, it looks as if one team's gonna have a much different record in a much different situation than the other. That actually makes me get more workorried about the game, not because like I'm doubting Louisville and their ability to beat them. But it would be like the night the nightmare scenario, Like if you weres a somehow lose to them this year when they they were really bad and you were really good, I mean, I don't even know. My head would explode. I wouldn't have the I would have to just start the postgame show and just you know, sing songs for you instead of giving analysis because I don't know what I would say now realistically speaking, if that situation did play out and they're just you know, and I know people say throw the records out the window when it's a rivalry, and that's a cliche, and there have been examples as far as results in a rivalry where it, you know, it makes sense why that's a cliche. But like if Kentucky's got three wins in Week twelve against Louisville and louisvill was a non win team and Louisville somehow got up like seventeen or twenty one, that's the kind of scenario that late in a year where a team with three wins in their last game that's already down big, they're gonna fold. That's just that's how sports works. Man like you, the human element would kick in. You can't convince yourself we're gonna be okay because we've proven ourselves to be able to come back and win games this year. Oh wait, no, we haven't. We suck like so, I'm not even going there as far as talking about the matchup. But the more I'm just gonna say it, if Kentucky continues to really underwhelm and Louisville ends up having a really good year, I'm gonna be worried about that game, just just because you know. I'm I'm that's me. I'm just being honest with you, all right. FIBO two five seven seventy nine hundred is the number if you guys want to give us a call. You can also text and we'll get back to the text line coming up here shortly. FABO two six five three zero seven nineties the number if you want to text in on the ln N Federal Credit Union text line. But to the phone lines we go. We will welcome in, Will Will, How are you?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 4: Hey, buddy? I should I I think that Steps has checked out.
Speaker 2: I think it certainly sounds like, yeah.
Speaker 4: He checked out, and the fans we're all we I mean, I hate him, I'm loving but uh they're always the last you know. They You know, this is a thing where you pay too much too soon. The dude it's making bank and he's like, what are you gonna do? I don't know what his buyout is, but uh, this guy's checked out. Man, and the fans that just I love it. I mean, but I tell you what, Louisville better beat them. I tell you what, they better beat these guys because like, like you say, I don't know what it is. Well, man, they've come ready for us, and we act like we lack of days ago. I guess we're listening to the radio. I'm not convinced we would win that game because of the history of us just not getting up. You gotta put hatred in these boys, art Man, those Kentucky guys hate us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I appreciate the call, man. I think the not being able to get up and kind of match the hate that was a sadderfield thing. And if you missed the four o'clock hour, I mean I kind of expanded and gave even more evidence now up in Cincinnati that supports what I've said for a long time about sad he just ain't built for a rivalry in any way. I mean, Miami Ohio considers himself a rival to Cincinnati. He lost to them last year, by the way, So I'm not ready to claim that bron won't have these guys because, by the way, and I mean this, there's nobody more pissed off about Louisville losing that game last year to Kentucky than Jeff Brown. Nobody doesn't mean they're guaranteed to win it this year, but it's gonna be quite It's gonna be well known that they they're a team that it's gonna be well known within that locker room that this team there's something on the line here that's a little bit more than just one more win on your schedule, one more win on your resume. Again, that doesn't guarantee that you're gonna win. And last year they were ready to play. They just I mean, everything that could have gone wrong and it's their fault. Like I'm not taking anything away from Kentucky and acting like Louisville didn't play poorly, because they did. That's why they lost. But I mean, I'm not. And again, the streak sucks. It sucks in a major way, meaning this many losses to to Kentucky. In Kentucky fans, if I was you, I'd do the same thing I would. I would bring up how long it's been since Louis will beat you. But you know, from a Louisville fans perspective, I know that every game but one of those games in this streak was from an inferior coach that's no longer here. Jeff brom is a good coach, and I think he had n'im ready to play last year. That just it didn't work out for him. And again I'm I mean, I don't know how he's going to articulate it without, you know, making him a little bit overly amped up or maybe a little bit on the edge. But it's I'm telling you, nobody was more pissed and it's still more pissed about losing to Kentucky last year than Jeff Brown. Again, that doesn't guarantee that they will win, but I don't I don't worry about having to match the energy for the rivalry. I mean, that doesn't guarantee you win, as I've said many times, but with Sad, I don't. I think SAT was scared and it rubbed off on his team at times. I mean that I think that's what it was. He got alpha by Mark Stoops.
Speaker 1: All.
Speaker 2: Right, back to the thon Onnea about you've out seven one seventy nine. Let's go to Steve. Steve, you're on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 5: What's up, hey, Nick? I want to I want to make a caveat that. I am not a Kentucky fan. But here's the thing. You know, I've heard people today saying, well, the fans just don't know they're winning. They're much better than when he got there and all this stuff. But you know, the fans have been asked, as we have, I guess, put up more and more money. They built some nice facilities, But two and twenty eight, if against winning teams in the SEC is not is not acceptable. And I think the fans, probably the Kentucky fans, have had it sure, and they're just like, I'm sick of this now. Could this be somewhat of an outlier what happened the other day? I don't know. I don't think so. They were just handled too easily. But you know, we're gonna find out in the next couple of weeks. And I will admit they have a tough schedule. Yeah, but two and twenty eight, I don't think I've talked to some Munikay fans that just doesn't cut it. I mean, especially if you're being asked to open your checkbook continuously.
Speaker 2: So, no doubt about it. I appreciate the call, Steve when it comes to again, That's why I said, I mean, I think it's quite clear they did have they did have some guys pony up, because that's how they were able to retain the roster and go get guys in the portal. And when you're stoops and you're complaining about all you have to do with nil, whenever you're making the amount of money you're making and you know clearly people are paying and you're still being negative about the situation about how much that goes into it, I mean people are going to say, okay, I mean I could not pony up and we can still beat average at best and lose to teams that are good in our league. I could have saved half a million dollars. Like so I get it from that standpoint. And anytime you are a coach and you've sustained results that are not great but clearly better, than before, like bringing up where you were, Like if Stoops ever brings up where Kentucky football was prior to him arriving. I know he did that a few years ago, but if he was to do it now, like that's the ultimate sign this guy's checked out and feels like you guys are ungrateful and it's just probably time for that thing to end. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side. I wish I had more time because there's a lot I want to get into, but we'll make the most of the time we have right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right. It is Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety. You don't forget you could take us with you whatever you go. Listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Also listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot Com. All right, so we got to talk about Colorado Nebraska really just embarrassing them in a major way, bullied them outclass them. And I think it's actually really really simple what's going on with Dion Sanders. He's really a private football coach for three people, Travis Hunter and his two sons, Shador Sanders and Shiloh Sanders. He's masquerading as a head football coach, but he's not that. He's a politician, he's a hype man. He's not a football coach. And they didn't get any better in the areas they struggled in last year. They can't run the ball, their offensive line stinks, they can't protect their quarterback. Their play callers is clearly being told to do things to try to make shit over look good. I mean they just drop back, try to do air raid just to show off his son's ability at quarterback. And he's got a really good weapon in Travis Hunter. But you know what Matt Rule and his team they schemed for that, they were ready to play. They neutralized him because you know, that's what teams can do that are well coached and prepared. Colorado is a clown show. And I don't even think that score was is. I mean, they could have beat him by a lot worse. And at the core, I believe a coach is a leader. That's what a coach is a leader. And you can lead differently. There are various different styles to lead. I'd say your leadership style is probably based off of your personality. But he's not a leon. Sanders isn't a leader. Wasn't as a player, isn't as a coach. He's not a leader. He's a me guy. That's what he was as a player. That's what he is as a coach. His son also terrible leader, no accountability. Nobody's surprised by it because it's really exactly what you would expect. But his son, you know, after an embarrassing loss as a quarterback, you think he'd be a leader. I'm sure he was named a team captain, probably not by his peers, but probably by his dad. And if it was by his peers, they probably knew that if they didn't vote his son as the captain of the team, they probably wouldn't play. And these are things that yeah, I'm you know, tongue in cheek a little bit, but like, would anybody be shocked if that's true?
Speaker 3: No, look at what this is.
Speaker 2: And when asked after the game, his son and who you know people want to believe could be the face of an NFL franchise as a quarterback, his son should or he blamed his own line to the media. He asked how many times did Nebraska's quarterback get touched, Like, who does that? People that aren't leaders, that aren't me, all about me, me me. That's what Dion was as a player, that's what he's always been as a coach, and now that's what Colorado is being led by. If you could even call it that.
Speaker 6: I mean, how many times did all the good tests? How many times did all the good tests? There was a like, of course, of course, whenever you're able to run the ball consistently, and whenever you're able to then that opens up the past, you know, But it's just like you got to understand, like what what your team good at. So it's like, why would we keep running the ball? If okay, we are we out there, we're goin to see you don't.
Speaker 2: Need to hear anymore of that. I mean, like, that's that's a quarterback who you know, is supposed to be a leader, who you know, was sent out to talk to the media because he's, you know, believed to be one of the leaders of the team. He's the quarterback. He asks why or sorry? He asked how many times the other team's quarterback got touched, and then talked about how his team can't run the ball. He's blaming his Old Line, which you know, who would want to play Old Line? Who would want to play for Colorado at all? If you're not Travis Hunter or one of Deon sanders kids, who would want that? And again it's starting to get you can't make this stuff up levels, because I mean, this is this is a real thing. Guys. This is not me. You know, this isn't made up. This isn't just something that ends up on the internet. This is true. I didn't know this. Did you know Deon Sanders' son is a rapper, like he makes music. I didn't know that. I saw that Nebraska's team was the kind of trolling back on his songs.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the locker room, Well we'll check this out. Deon Sanders told the band that the that they they can't play the fight song if there's a touchdown that Shador is a part of. They need to play his song, his son's song that is called perfect Timing. The band was told they will not play after a touchdown, they won't play the fight song, but instead the PA and out the PA is going to play Deon sanders son Shador's single and it's called perfect Timing.
Speaker 3: That is so cray not even talking about this song. The whole situation is cringe.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's it's secondhand embarrassment, right, like nobody like these are people not with us in the real world, because again they they view them. I mean, Deon Sanders. It's not like he's stubborn. It's not like he's you know, out here doing this just for a star. He's delusional. He doesn't have any ability to to have self awareness because he's never had to player. As an athlete, he was sensational and he really is a pioneer in my opinion as far as at you know, professional athletes in my time as a sports fan. Dude, he's the first guy that comes to mind that could could be flashy, could be arrogant, could show bo and he backed it up as a player. But he wasn't a leader and he's not a leader as a coach. He's not a coach. That I mean, if I'm proven wrong, I'll admit it. I'm wrong a lot. But this is, this is right in front of everybody's face to see what this is. He's not a coach. He's a personal you know, consultant essentially for Shadoor Sanders, Shiloh Sanders and Travis Hunter, and yeah, I mean he won a lot at Jackson State, and that's something that's not you know, I'm not just say that that doesn't matter, but like he was able to utilize his brand, his ability to be a politician, his ability to sell for him to go get players that should never be at Jackson State. They should be at top schools like Travis Hunter was. And that's how you win there. It didn't take coaching. I mean, and I do think he's probably a deep down a competitor because I don't think he could be as successful in life as he's been if he's not a competitor. But he's out of his element. Man, he ain't a coach. He doesn't know how to coach his own staff. He doesn't know how to lead his own staff, which is why guys bail all the time. And I don't know why I take such satisfaction, But then again, it's just it's it's part. I mean, not everybody is the same, but there's a lot of people taking great joy in seeing these guys fail because of how they carry themselves. Mostly should Or Sanders, Shiloh Sanders, and Deon Sanders. Travis Hunter seems like an all right guy. I don't know enough about him. He's and he can back it up as a player. But you saw him yelling at Dion the other night. He knows what's up. He wants to compete and win, and that's not They're not built to do that. It's all for show. And you know Nebraska, John, you'd know this. They were expected to be better this year on their matter, Well, no doubt, Like are they They're not believed to be a contender in them. They're not ranked yet, are they? They're number twenty three? Actually they get the people.
Speaker 3: So I mean, I think they're expected to kind of be like the second tier of the Big Ten. But I mean they're still yet to really prove it against good competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the team that embarrassed Colorado the other night, and it could have been worse, has the longest Bowl appearance drought in power for football. They might know that. That's crazy, especially considering it's Nebraska. Yes, but they got Colorado State next week at Colorado State, a game that they'll probably win just because they'll have way better talent. I think Colorado State actually really sucks this year. Maybe I'm wrong. Actually, didn't they compete with somebody. They went well last year, I feel like being a close game, and if you remember, Norvelle was was he wasn't backing down because again, like if you're if you're a coach, and this is your industry, this is your livelihood, this is where you know you've had to grind your way. Look, I Dion was great at it and he didn't have to grind his way up and he was still successful. That's one thing. But for this guy to get all the attention only for TMZ type stuff, it ain't a good look for coaches to call that out and you know and show jealousy. But I mean they're humans too, and that's got to piss them off. Yeah, they lost fifty two to nothing to Texas and then beat Northern Colorado thirty eight to seventeen. So I would imagine this Saturday, it'll be a blowout, Colorado probably getting the best of them. Then Colorado plays UTEP, a game that they'll probably win again. Then it's organ like they don't even have a tough schedule. I'm sorry, never mind my apologies. I'm looking at sorry, I'm looking at Colorado State schedule. So after they play Colorado State, then they play Baylor, Central, Florida, Kansas State, Arizona, Cincinnati. What if Sat beats him at M Boulder, would you want Sat to win that game?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah? Okay, oh hell yeah. Like I mean, and I get like it's funny, like I'd not said anything that anybody can prove to be made up or I mean like I'm sharing an opinion when I talk about Dion, but I'm also laying out facts and nobody's got any facts to tell me what I'm saying is unreasonable or not true. And our phone lines do get get get get lit pretty quick when I talk Dion sometimes, and I think it's because people act like I'm I'm just a hater. No, I'm I mean what it's it's not even I mean, I am a hater, trust me. And it's bothered me because I'm like, why do I care? Why was the best thing that happened to me on Saturday? Not Kentucky getting curb stomped, but Dion in Colorado. It's because when you act so accomplished and present yourself as if you've done something when you haven't, it's just I think it's normal human nature, maybe not to have the kind of vitriol that I have. But like you get humbled, people want to see you humbled when you act like that. And Dion's never had to be humbled in his life at anything, because he's been great. It's just about everything he's done other than coaching, and he's really bad at that, it seems. All right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, and finally, I'll let you guys hear the call from the Northern Illinois radio play by play guy as they pulled off a huge upset, the biggest upset in their history and probably gonna be the biggest up set we see this year in college football. All right, don't go anywhere. We'll come back and wrap things up right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, we are wrapping up a Monday edition of Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Let me got Let me tell you guys once again about the Jefferson Animal Hospital. I don't know if you guys were aware of this. I was not until I got educated by the fine folks at Jefferson Animal Hospital that your dog or cat can be a can donate blood just like you can, just like both of us can. So if your dog is over fifty pounds or your cat is at least ten pounds, they may qualify to be a pet blood donor, where every donation can save up to four to six lives plus. By doing this, you're gonna get all kinds of benefits for your pet becoming a blood donor, including regular examinations, blood work, vaccines, all at Jefferson Animal Hospit on outer loop for more information on how your dog or cat can become a pet blood donor called five OO two nine hundred pets or visit pet bloodbank dot com. Again, it is Jefferson Animal Hospital. They've been doing this for a long time, folks. They've been in this Louisville community for over forty four years and they are I mean, they're in a class of their own, at least in my opinion. As far as when you have an emergency with your pet, especially on like a holiday, like you know you're you're panicked, but you can always trust them. They're open twenty four to seven including Christmas, So when an emergency happens, obviously it's not expected. That's why it's an emergency, but just know you can trust the team at Jefferson Animal Hospital, all right. So Northern Illinois went in was awesome, and I know that it did sort of, you know, dampen a little bit of the opportunity that's going to be there for louisvill when they go up to South Bend. But I didn't care, man. I love upsets. I love underdog stories in college sports. We're kind of losing that a little bit, right because it's professional sports on steroids now with all the nil money and all that. So to see or Lean Illinois pull off this upset, and you know, they're not a team built with a roster full of guys that are there because of money. They're hard workers that you know, knew they probably were given no chance by anybody else. But they still came in and pulled off the upset against the Irish. And this is what it sounded like from the NIU radio local the NIU radio call on the local side.
Speaker 1: He's lining it up five seconds left, then I you up sixteen fourteen sixty two yarder snap poll Jeters kick.
Speaker 4: This fuck it's fucked. It's fucked.
Speaker 2: Big up by yea you.
Speaker 1: Big up by ye husies has done it the Hussies with the biggest.
Speaker 2: Upset and are you his story?
Speaker 1: They come to South in Indiana and they knock off the number five team in the country.
Speaker 2: The head coach, I mean that guy. I mean, what a very emotional interview he did after the game, and uh that just I mean, not to be corny, but that that was such a feel good moment for everybody that isn't a Notre Dame fan, because most people who aren't Notre Dame fans probably don't like Notre Dame. I know, I don't. I've never understood the hate they get, but like I get why people are, you know, like they're one of those brands in sports that you either are all in or you probably prefer they lose. And I was happy that they lost and U and I mentioned before too.
Speaker 3: From from my perspective, there's a lot of Indiana basketball fans that like to they pair that with a Notre Dame football instead of Indiana football. Never been a big fan of that. So if you're one of those guys and you know it's lame, man, you can just be lame.
Speaker 2: I guess this guy is an n IU dad in the stands after the game, and I thought what he this, This to me was just awesome. This is what he said when somebody pulled out the phone and they were videoing the visiting parents that were there watching their sons pull off such a big upset. Yeah, hell no, let them all. I'm sure you guys could make it out. But if not, he said, all I want to know is who in the hell left that gate open and let them dogs out there? Of course in the Huskies. That was It was great. And by the way, speaking of Notre Dame football Indiana basketball fans, I think some Kentucky fans are going back to what they used to do, which is, you know, I'm a big fan of big fan of Kentucky basketball, but I'm an Alabama football fan. This was a Kentucky fan being interviewed leaving Commonwealth on Saturday.
Speaker 3: Where do we go from here?
Speaker 4: Where's the what?
Speaker 2: How do we how do we finish the season? Are we getting five way? Weber to Alabama and we go over to Alabama and we root for them losers. All right, have a good night, everybody, see tomorrow or I'll talk to you tomorrow here because it's radio