Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 1: Two nothing.
Speaker 2: It's Alva not so fast Coho breath with Don Taylor.
Speaker 1: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose. And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree up a little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit.
Speaker 4: There for hours and a bunch of news cherry.
Speaker 2: Years Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 1: Ten o'clock in downtown Vancouver where the Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dollingwall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man that the controls our director. The voice of God is Derek One.
Speaker 4: How are you couldn't be better?
Speaker 1: Canucks in Vegas tonight, final game before the Olympic break. Mums along for the ride as they were in Utah coming off that six to loss Monday to the Mammoth. Canucks have lost sixteen eighteen, just a ray of sunshine sixteen eighteen to start this show. And in line with that, Philip heatel a eric I left the game in Utah early now, and we all know about Philip Heatele's concussion history, six documented concussions. We understand it's a migraine issue with him.
Speaker 4: Adam put said yesterday after practice, Donnie, migraine's not good obviously, boy oh boys. Just six games and he was come back down from his latest concussion which kept him out months. Remember the one of Washington Tom Wilson mid October. Yeah, the JT. Miller trade Dawn was a year ago, January thirty first, just a few days ago, the one year anniversary. He does only played twenty seven games in that one year. He's had two concussions. We don't know what this is. It's it's being called migraines.
Speaker 1: I can't remember an incident in that game in Utah where he took a hit where you'd think to yourself, well, that's that's dangerous.
Speaker 4: Could have been a bump in the first period.
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 4: With concussions, don.
Speaker 1: Well, that's almost more frightening.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or the lights, you know, the like no other people noise bothers people with.
Speaker 1: Concussions, and I say it's more frightening because if that's what it takes to trigger this sort of thing, yes, yes, then that's that's that's scary versus a you know, resounding hit like the one he absorbed from from Tom Wilson.
Speaker 4: Look, the Canucks new, Let's be honest, The Canucks new is concussion history in New York. They knew it. But it was the only centerment they were getting back for j. T.
Speaker 1: Miller.
Speaker 4: The Canucks could not have made a trade for JT. Miller don without getting a centerment back, and that's the bottom line, and he was the centerman that was available. They did their due diligence, checked up all the reports from his concussions in New York. It is what it is.
Speaker 1: We've just it seems like a mistake.
Speaker 4: We dealt with Tucker Pulman in the city, We've dealt with Michael Ferland in the city, and going back eighties nineties, I'm sure we can pick up more guys with concussions. It is what it is, and you feel for him. He worked hard to come back, but six games in, you know, in one year, Vancouver at first the Dickinson concussion, they hit from behind, then Tom Wilson, and now we're looking at Migraine. So you feel for him first, first, and foremost on you feel for him. You can criticize the trade all you want, You can criticize the Canucks all you want, but you think about the player first and what he's going on.
Speaker 1: I can guarantee you that's not the case for a lot of the fans. They'll be asking why would they make that trade with the player with I guess at the time for documents for documented concussion New York. This whole situation with Peterson and Miller and the and the Pedterson contract has screwed everything up, screws It's inexcusable, and it's it's do you just feel bad for the fans? And again, you can criticize that deal, You can hope the best for Philipel, but my god, how you don't I don't get And again we'll learn more as the as the years go by. But whatever happened between Peterson and Miller, but how you how you can't get along living a dream life? Is is is beyond is beyond me? As for what Philipeal is going through right now and you can toss the concussion history aside, although it's hard to do that when you're talking about, you know, something involving the head and the brain. But uh, you know what I've I've suffered from migraine. So just it's happened later later in life for me. And there they are, they hammer you and uh, you know, all all the best to him if that's what he's he's dealing. It's tough.
Speaker 4: And another guy we have to mention in in our inbox is ven Bercie. Remember they hit in Vegas. Wasn't even you talk about what happened to uh, you know hetl Uh in Utah the other night. Look it's ven Bercie. He just turned around and and in Vegas and he never played again.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: It's so it's a very delicate situation with Philip Heto, but I wish him the best.
Speaker 1: The question with Philip Heel now they did it with thatcher Dempko. We'll get a Dempco update in a second. But do you do you sit him down for the rest of the season. Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I mean, what's the point The same thing as Dempko. As soon as they found out, Uh, you know, he's gonna have surgery. What's the point done. They're in thirty second place. What are you gonna he was playing on the wing, he wasn't even playing at center. Like, just just just give him the rest of the year off and see how his off season goes, and see if you you know, if he makes the decision to come back next year.
Speaker 1: Thirty second place, they're going to finish last place.
Speaker 4: There's no point play some kids, like play some kid, quit, quit sitt in ssan and quit sitting RATU play the kids. You're in thirty second What do you got.
Speaker 1: To lose to see that you're on the rebuilt train.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's it's ridiculous. Leakara Macki on the fourth line. Mancini's sitting while Joseph plays, Like you know, one of these guys is Adam trying to win every game? Like, I mean, you know, you're in thirty second. Play the kids.
Speaker 1: What kind of a question is that? Of course he's trying to win, Okay, but it's not necessarily up to up to That's what coaches do, that's what they're wired to do. It's up to the organization to come up with those with those decisions. Thatcher Dempko.
Speaker 4: All right, sounds like Dempko will be having his surgery today on the hip. Donnie, Uh, he's looking at four to six months. What was it a week a week and a half ago that they announced he was done for the season, and so it looks like surgery is today for Thatcher, Dempko and Donnie. It's long. You know, the hips. The hips don't lie. It's Donnie Shakira that they don't lie.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 4: You have surgery there, it's it's going to be a long rehab four to six months.
Speaker 1: The way you work Shakura into that or whatever it was yesterday. Okay, so four to six month rehab. So if I'm that and if I'm involved with the Canucks medical staff, do you not say to yourself, who did Patrick Kane surgery? Because he had hip resurfacing. If I'm not mistaken, you know something involving the hip. Okay, that's worked. I mean, he's you know, at his age to do what he's doing. I wonder if if there's the same person who's doing that. I'm not sure, but I would I would certainly look into that because that seems very successful. This is what I know about medicine. That's about it about I know that that guy. Yeah, because honestly, Rick, you you know somebody has hip surgery pro athlete, that's that's often spells end of career. And keep in mind with that Tri Dempko he underwent hip surgery in twenty sixteen, So second time this guy as going through major surgery and we're talking about the hibs for a goaltender. How important that is twice? What are your chances of recovering from that? And I just wonder if they if I don't know who's doing the surgery, but boy, i'd look into what what Ann Patrick Kane did.
Speaker 4: I've been told is going to be one hundred percent for training camp, and so what what's demp go showing up the guy that's played forty three games the last two years done, or the guy that's injured all the time, or is one hundred percent of healthy get back to vesna form, anything could happen.
Speaker 1: I have at heart, I find it hard to believe that he would be anywhere near one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Or I've been told one hundred percent training camp, but who that's just a BA agent. No, I've been told by people he's going to be one hundred percent. The conocks have set. They're expecting him to be one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Come on, why would that be a strange to question that, given the fact he's going through hip surge, we're on top of everything else for a second time. And then and then of course I's gonna say they signed an extension, which you know, I think a lot people included myself, are okay with three years eight point five per it kicks in, so of course they're gonna there. They hope for that. I don't think it's I don't think I think he's gonna be I think you're being insensitive saying boy, I have a hard time believing.
Speaker 4: That, and and and all these people that want Lincoln and traded just stop, just stop, and I'll tell you he's got a no move. He's not gonna wave it.
Speaker 1: Don right.
Speaker 4: Tol Apelo has had a small window of games. You don't know what you're gonna get with him next year. Remember when remember everybody in the city was doing cart wheels because Sea Loves took him to Game seven against seventon.
Speaker 1: What does Sea Loves do the year after? Struggled? Struggled? But everyone thinks tol Apilo is the guy now the look impressive.
Speaker 4: Donnie Donnie, Donnie the only the only goaltender that stays healthy and his NHL caliber on this roster is liking it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you you see no potential with Tolapilo.
Speaker 4: I didn't say that. I told you everyone was doing all Sea loves. We got the goalie in the future. Guess what remember the first game against the Pittsburgh like something. Yeah, well, okay, but remember the first game against Calgary after Edmonton what he led in six seven goals and he struggled and he was sent.
Speaker 1: To the miners lankl and had a tough game.
Speaker 4: And you what goalie is doesn't struggle in front of the thirty second place team. He's got three defensemen that are twenty one and under every night playing in front of him.
Speaker 1: Come on. But again, I don't think. I don't think it's like you make it sound like it's strange that people would question Dempko's you know, health going going forward, and it's strange for people to say, Tolapilo looks looks pretty good. Yeah, I know. I think those are obvious questions that anybody would ask. You're off today, and why did these guys sign demp go and not wait wait?
Speaker 4: They had all year to wait.
Speaker 1: Again, I don't remember a lot of which his contract looked like if they waited. Well, obviously not as good for Dempco as it is now, but I don't remember a lot of people complaining at the time. But man on top of everything else and being in thirty second place, this situation with Dempco, and now he'll what a tough, tough season. This is gonna go down as people are still in the seats. I get that, as the top three were seasons in history. I'm sorry to say it. They need a break final game before the Olympic break? Won't you rather do? Would you rather go to the Olympics or be in a three day break or three week break go to a cobo? So you'd rather have the three? You wouldn't be interested in representing your.
Speaker 4: Let me finish, I said, a lot of these guys are going to hop on a plane New Mexico or Hawaii, but I'd rather be going to Italy and trying to win a gold medal.
Speaker 1: What about like taking the break going to Italy to watch the put that in your pipe?
Speaker 4: You want to sit on a plane for sixteen hours to Italy.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, I think it's that long.
Speaker 4: It is thirteen to sixteen I did.
Speaker 1: I googled it. It's thirteen Well, no, it's not. It's ten hours.
Speaker 4: It's thirteen to sixteen hours.
Speaker 1: No, Rick, I took the next year of it. Hold on a second. You went to Italy, you went to Rome, right, yeah, I'm thirteen hours. Well we went see Okay, No, that's a good point. We went to Calgary first, then from Calgary onto Rome, which was nine hours I think ten hours. Yeah, ten hour flight time. Anyway, it's eleven to fifteen hours Vancouver to Rome. Okay, I'm right there. I told you I did the research about anyway, eleven to fifteen hours. Look, look, look, we want to talk about the white Caps a lot too. Okay, we got time for this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you should probably save it. I don't want to get in trouble with our next guest down there.
Speaker 1: Oh please, big shot, come on.
Speaker 4: The next guy, moch And he's busy, man, he's got a.
Speaker 1: Major story going on in Vancouver. I'm the history of primary The future of the Vancouver white Caps is in jeopardy here in Vancouver anyway, big time. We'll deal with it in the third segment there. Yeah, okay, because I don't want to just you know, gloss yet right now? All right, man? That the timing after you like, how many people jumped Quit looking at the computer, I'm looking at you. How many people jumped on board with the white Caps this past year? What a Canuck's horrible season? White Caps just a terrific season. No, undoubtedly gained new fans that my two boys, my two sons went to White Guy, they loved it, just thought it was fantastic this year. And now you're all this talk. It does not look good for them sticking around Vancouver sports Man, it's never dull. Here's what's coming up on the show, and we'll talk about the white Caps a in a bit. I'll tell you what I'll mention right now, okay, if you don't mind. While we're on the subject of soccer, did you know that Vancouver FC is hosting Cruise a zoul to night Willoughby Stadium on the L e C Grounds in Langley. As they start their drive white Caps FC, Vancouver FC, Ye, Vancouver FC. How's like, maybe go back to the computer there, Vancouver FC. Cruise azoul as they begin to drive towards the twenty twenty six CONCACAFF Cup Championship Round one and Cruises will beat the white Caps last year in the concor CAF Final.
Speaker 4: This is the team from Mexico.
Speaker 1: There you go, yeah, five mil so, that's that's trying to understand the game's sold out. Marty Nash, the coach now at Vancouver FC, as you called them, white Caps FC. Marty Dash, Yeah, brother of Steve, Steve brother. All right, uh and again white Caps talk coming up, DTMC. Is it just me in the eleven o'clock hour. Kristen del Bianco is going to join us at around eleven fifteen or so. Star goaltender for the Vancouver Warriors. H this weekend wrestling Warriors versus the Rochester Nighthawks. Now, keep in mind that last week Vancouver the Warriors went into Rochester and crushed the Nighthawks sixteen to six, and that was the only crushing going on. There was a hit by the Rochester goaltender on a Vancouver player, Steph Charboneau that triggered a big brawl. So we'll talk to Christian about that, and Christian in a way kind of started it all and then he got involved and he is a great, great athlete, a real impressive lacrosse goaltender. He gets involved in the offense, a lot of fun to watch. John Shan is going to join us just after eleven o'clock to talk hockey to talk about the National Hockey League from the one hundred Percent Hockey podcast, Big Ride the Twitter Guy later this hour and up next we just mentioned it. From Santa Clara, California. Bob or Janovich, his hits, his work all available, Good Hour, the Donnie and Dolly YouTube channel. So Moji always goes down. We'll find out how many en row this is for moch or how many Super Bowl he's been to. I know he's missed out. He's great. One or two Moj's down in Santa Clara Patriots Seahawks on Sunday. He's going to join us next. Thank so much for joining in, Folks for tuning in. Donnie Delly the Team. One check Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 2: The Team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets. In a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 4: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help for a.
Speaker 1: Free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot CA. That's sales at ab l A Auction dot Ca. Wednesday and all of our guests today, including Mode standing by down in California. Sponsored by the BC Construction Safety Alliance. The BCCSA provides services to more than fifty seven thousand construction companies throughout our province. Visit BCCSA dot CA for info on their programs, training resources, tools and services. The BC Construction Safety Alliance celebrating twenty five years making safety simpler. Before we go down to California Bayside Oceanfront Resort Inbox Bayside Resortparksville dot com. From Kevin in Langley, Hey, I tweeted Moge last night about using his fame and popularity down on Radio Row to see if he can hook me up with some Super Bowl tickets, but he hasn't replied. Can you ask him about it? From me? Much appreciated Again From Kevin in Langley mob and Jonvitch down Santa Clara, California side of Super Bowl sixty Seahawks and Patriots on Sunday, moj thanks for doing this and what can you tell us about you being able to do something for Kevin and Langley? Come on, let's go.
Speaker 6: Hey, the only way I can do this quick plug from my guy, Anthony bay Rudy Venue Kings dot Com. I'm sending everybody to Anthony because I have no tickets to the Super Bowl? Are you crazy? Even if face? Actually I have a friend of mine, Freddie guy. You might have read the story that Steve Ewan wrote the Province he won the lottery because he has season tickets to the Seahawks. Even then, they're like thirty seven hundred US face right, So it's a steep ticket. I think it's up to like six grand to get in right now. But yeah, it's it's a coveted ticket, particularly with two teams Seattle traveling well to San Francisco driving the price up, and the Patriots always travel well. So I'm not those two teams not doing anyone any favors. When it comes to the cost of Super Bowl tickets.
Speaker 1: It took a long time to say.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kevin and Langley, how many super Bowls for you? Mode? What is this?
Speaker 6: This is the show's twenty fifth. Yeah, this is my twenty fourth. The only one that I missed was the year that my mom was of course passing away. So that was the Indianapolis super Bowl featuring the Giants and the Patriots, and that year Chris Burns, Mitch Berger, and Matt Baker still representative of the show, and we didn't do a show during the COVID year. So other than that, ever since the Ravens and the Giants in Tampa Bay in two thousand, all the way.
Speaker 1: Through Best super Bowl City, Worst New super Bowl City, New Orleans, and New Orleans Worst super Bowl City, a lot of people say Jacksonville.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Jacksonville was really bad logistically, but there were some great events of Jacksonville. Don't kid yourself. We had We had a really good time in Jacksonville. But yeah, you know, I mean, I was just talking a game Morenci, a good friend from Sports Grid, and you know, we were talking about the logistics. Here in San Francisco, it seems like everywhere you got to go, it's like forty minutes. Forty five minutes. You want to go to the team the player availability availabilities, the team availability sessions. It's out in Santa Clare and San Jose. It's forty five minutes. Last night, the media party was forty minutes away. As Gabe said, you know, some of the guys in the media started talking about that, and Joe Average is like, shut up, right, Like who cares? You're you know, you're at the super Bowl. You're going, well you have you're complaining because you got to go forty minutes somewhere. So it's first world problems.
Speaker 4: Hey Bob, Bob, everyone's picking the Seahawks. Where are you at with this? Because why are the Patriots even showing up? Everyone's got the Seahawks.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, the more you talk to people this week, the more you break it down, the more opinions you get. It's it's really cool because you just kind of you have your own opinions. Some people are reinforcing it, other people are challenging it, and you kind of by the time you get the Friday, you're really dialed in on where you think this game should go. But I think right now, just on the onset talking to a lot of people is the fact that, you know, the Patriots had an easy schedule. The Seahawks are much more battle tested against you know, veteran teams. But you know, and then you look at the Patriots offensive line, particularly on the left side. That's an air of concern for a lot of people. But you know, I just look at this game, and you've got two quarterbacks whose body of work doesn't include high pressure games such as the super Bowl. So it's gonna be interesting to see how May and Darnold performed perform in this game. And just you know, and everyone's talking about that player who pops, Who's going to be that guy that steps out of the shadows?
Speaker 3: The X factor makes a big play. You gotta love this. So I'm walking to the hotel this morning. I look over.
Speaker 6: They got the ESPN whatever show on, and underneath is Jackson Smith Njigma, the X factor for the Seahawks. So I got the snapshot of the screenshot and then I sent it to Tucker. I go, I finally see your point, because this is stupid. How can the leading receiver on the Seahawks be an X factor?
Speaker 1: Here you go?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: So I had and Ross texted me back, he's here, he's floating around somewhere. But yeah, we got a good chuckle out of that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's my next question. Not many teams have done it, but can the Patriots defense stop Jackson Smith Nejigba.
Speaker 6: Well, the one thing that you hear from people, and we broke it down yesterday pretty good with Brian Baldinger from NFL Network and others, is the Patriots are going to be okay on the corners. It's the mismatches that they might have inside with slot receivers and how Seattle might move a GUYLEC Smith and a Jigma sometimes maybe do what we call the number two or three receiver inside and then you have a bit of a mismatch because people are too keen on the safeties of the Patriots covering. They love the corners, including Gonzales. Then there's no issues in terms of the Patriots corners. It's more of the safeties that they think they can get a mismatch. And it's going to be interesting to see what Clint Kubiak does if he can get some of those mismatches during the course.
Speaker 1: Of the game. If you've checked out Moj's work, not just this year, but through the years you always you do a great job of trying to connect CFL players, management coaches with the players coaches involved in the Super Bowl. Tell us about the BC lines connection with the Patriots linebacker group.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, Jelanie Teva his younger brother, Jonah Tavai, the outstanding defensive tackle of the BC Lions, so Tavai Nation as they call it, six football playing brothers, and Jelani was quickly to point out that they do have a sister, Serena, who's an outstanding rugby player as well, so a very competitive family. We talked about, Hey, what was football like down at the park your kids? Right, So yeah, there's obviously that's probably one of the bigger connections.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: We talked to Cooper Cup about Vernon Adams. They played together at Eastern Washington. Vernon Adams junior was in Cooper Cup's wedding party, right, So those two guys are really tight.
Speaker 3: Donnie.
Speaker 6: You might remember Maurice Kelly of the Lions played here in the Pities and he's the senior VP of player affairs for the Seahawks, So you know, there's always some sort of connection. Chas Serrat the backup linebacker of the Seahawks. He was roommates with patrise Rene for three years at North Carolina, So you know, it's always like one degree of step finding guys, and you know, even walking around here today, I mean, Jeff Garcia is floating around. We're gonna try to track him down, Donnie. You remember we had Terrell Davis on and Westwood Platau when he came up for that charity tournament that we did, saw TD hopefully.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: The thing is when they have the handlers with them, if it was up to them, hey I'll come over in ten minutes. But the handlers are representing whatever they are promoting, and they have their strict schedule, so I don't know if we'll get them. But obviously talk to him, talk to Richard Sherman. He's floating around again, you know, trying to get him to pop by. So there's always a connection somehow, some way that you know you've made through the years with a lot of these players and celebs. So yeah, we just keep grinding away and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, such a small world. What's what's on tap? Do you know what's on tap today? I know you've done several interviews.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're basically tonight we are going to run most of the interviews that we accumulated during the first two days, So Maurice, Kelly, Cooper Cup, We've got Gab Gabe Moreenzi from the Sports Guard. We're gonna try to get Jeff Garcia on as well. Brian Billick is floating around. He was promised to us, but he's kind of running late right now. Super Bowl winning coach for the San Francisco forty nine ers. All of this will be you know, check out at the Real Moje on Instagram and on x. Nick Kowalski, the lines videographer, he's the one handling all the social media accounts this week and doing a tremendous job. And of course Donnie and Dolly you can see a lot of the videos there a lot of those interviews, and we're also going to be heard tonight on AM eleven to fifty in Clone and see Facts ten seventy were running on the island at Victoria home of check BBO.
Speaker 1: There you go, and we're talking to you tomorrow and Friday.
Speaker 6: I understand, yes, there you go. Perfect, they're looking forward to it. Oh yeah, Dolly, well I didn't hear any of this time. Oh oh oh you mellow you tired?
Speaker 4: No, what are you the mode? We've been up and at him? Man, we don't get up like you at nine o'clock. We've been up, Donnie, and I've been up since four four thirty.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're getting all this more like going to bed at nine o'clock.
Speaker 1: Not you.
Speaker 4: I know you.
Speaker 1: I've traveled with you. That's not happening. I've been on the road with you. He never ages moch Thanks for this. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Thanks Mell. Let's talk to you tomorrow. You bet.
Speaker 1: Bob and Janovitch down there Santa Clara, California. His work available on the Donnie and Dolly YouTube channel. Uh, just to for I want to explain this to people. X Factor. I don't know. Ross was in a bad mood over the case. Maybe a couple of years ago. Well more than a couple of years ago, it would have been six or seven years ago. On the Funny Station ten forty, moj asked Ross what the X factor would be going into whatever super Bowl it was, and Ross just lost it on lost What a dumb question? Everybody asked that question. He lost it on anyway, there's a history there. Now Ryan can maybe how you doing?
Speaker 4: By the way, Yeah, how's it going?
Speaker 1: Youah, trouble with a certain word there, but I don't want to say yeah availability.
Speaker 5: And again for people that weren't with us back then, you had problem at at vMac when we were at the Seahawks training camp.
Speaker 4: You couldn't say availability.
Speaker 1: Fourteen times I tried to say yeah, and I'm staying away from it right now. Moge never let me forget that. See I didn't. I didn't get on him for not being able to say it the first few times.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all class, Yeah, that's yeah, that's really okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if only they saw what was happening a couple of hours ago before the show.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: In this in this studio, Moges joining us not only today but again Thursday and Friday from Super Bowl sixty down in Santa Clara, California. We want to talk about white Caps in their difficult situation. We'll do that next. It's and the Pole question, which has to do with the white Caps. Donnie Delay the team one check looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway, Head to beautiful Parks Bill and experience the Bayside ocean Front were where every stay feels like a vacation you'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio, Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction, Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relax with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean Front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five oo two four eight eight tuple three. Your Island adventure starts here.
Speaker 4: Rights Canucks in Vegas, Vegas Elvis, which would work really well.
Speaker 1: If the poll question had anything to do with the Canucks Vegas. You're a Hall of Famer. You can't pivot. By the way, this new Elvis coming out with it right now? New Elvis movie later this month. Is it about his time in concert?
Speaker 5: Documentary involving lost footage of his residency.
Speaker 1: In Las Vegas at the International.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that Baz whatever his name is, who did the movie, had found when they were doing the movie.
Speaker 1: Oh my well, even the videos on YouTube, like one song like minds when he first got to Vegas. In other words, yeah, yeah, tremendous. Have you seen them? You've seen them?
Speaker 4: You know how much I love Elvis? You picked the Elvis song. You could ask me they're in Vegas, they're in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: You could have asked me, what's song?
Speaker 1: So what song?
Speaker 4: Don't be cruel for Vegas?
Speaker 1: What's the connection to tonight's game? Don't be cruel?
Speaker 4: The connections will lose a good night.
Speaker 1: It's not bad. Don't be cruel? You know what? That might have been better, less obvious.
Speaker 4: All you know had to do was ask, you know I love Elvis?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I know.
Speaker 4: And you're a YouTube a Beatles guys. And yet Elvis beats the Beatles by.
Speaker 1: Ten Okay, how many songs did Elvis write?
Speaker 4: I don't care how many songs you wrote? All I know is when you listen to Elvis, that's the dividing line for me. Either you got the beautiful voice, you got the looks hips hips on the stage, nobody nobody moved their hips like Elvis. Uh, you've got the full meal deal with Elvis.
Speaker 5: And yet, although to your point, the Beatles do talk about how meeting Elvis was like a massive thing for them exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, of course he was in big influence. Yeah, yeah, you look at their look early on, yes, yeah, before Brian Epstein got a hold of what are we doing here? I want to talk about the Way apps That very elvis ish. Yeah, this just did. Elvis had a lot of influence. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Pole question, Wadling Dog, Pole question. Head to the Waddling Dog Pub for the big game this Sunday Dog giving away a brand new fifty five inch TV and Seahawks swag during the big game. Need to stock up on your favorite beverages before the game. Head to the Attack Liquor Store for a wide variety of beer, wine and spirits. Come sit and stay at the Dog today. My gosh, Vancouver Way Camps season just around the corner camp in Spain. Their lease expired with BC Place in December. My understanding is that that lease, it's the least that started in twenty twelve. Remember the twenty eleven season, or at least part of it fourteen years was at Empire Field, so it expired in December. Remember Don Garber coming to Vancouver in November to talk with government officials about the lease and I guess I can I use the word threatening a move by the white Caps, who again talked about it the first segment in the middle of a or near the end of just a tremendous season CONCERCAFF champions Cup Final, MLS Cup Final, Canadian Championship, just absolutely tremendous, gaining new fans I think left and right. And now there's this talk about this team, well, its future is up in the air, possibly move Allah the Grizzlies, which still hurts to this day. So the the issue at hand here, the issue in question here is the new lease and what's what's going to happen. White Caps not happy with the old arrangement, which I'm guessing they signed off on, but uh, it was it's about consitting. This is my understanding. It's about food and beverage sales. They don't get enough in their in their opinion, from that parking, that sort of thing.
Speaker 4: Tax on tickets. Tax, the tax on tickets is another problem they have.
Speaker 1: So the government, the people who run BC government, the people who run PavCo, which operates a BC place. Uh, they've come up with a proposal for the white Caps. And I got to say, at first blush anyway. White Caps disagree, it sounds pretty good. M LA Ravi Klon explained that the provincial government has offered the white Caps a better deal again in their opinion, to stay at BC place. I think they've made it pretty clear they want the White campris to take. We've got the quote here right, yeah, from Ravi who's the Minister of Help me out here, Ryan, but I got this as the Minister of Okay, we'll we'll get his official title. Bottom line, MLA involved with the provincial government right now. PavCo makes sorry.
Speaker 5: Minister for Jobs and Economic Growth here's been appointed by David eb to handle this topic.
Speaker 4: Because he's actually not the.
Speaker 1: Very well spoken we's trying to get him on the show.
Speaker 5: He doesn't usually handle the PavCo situation, but he's been appointed for this.
Speaker 1: I can understand why. Right now PavCo makes approximately these are rabbies words, one point five million dollars a profit every single year from their contract that they've had with the white Cap since twenty twelve. Part of our package we presented to them the white Caps on Monday was that we will now be operating with zero profits. In fact, we're turning all those profits back to the white Caps and so PavCo will be operating at net zero. And from what I understand, there's nothing about food and beverage, nothing session and how that might be improved for the white Caps. But you look at this and you say to yourself, well, they're trying in a pretty significant.
Speaker 4: Hire Per said, this is like considering Axel Schuster came out earlier this week and said we're not much progress, and then the government comes out and say, hey, look at this. We threw these guys in all the branch and Donny, we're trying. We're trying, and this isn't good enough because Schuster has now said that this isn't going to keep them well, the white Caps long term.
Speaker 1: Here is what axelent Schuster, Yeah, white Caps Sporting director had to say in response to this offer by the provincial government. We've got that board there you go. Our gap between being top seven in attendance and the white Caps are top seven in attendance in Major League Soccer and last in revenue is so significant that this effort alone, the effort being the provincial government's offer zero profit, isn't the game changer that is needed for long term sustainability, you.
Speaker 4: Know, so they got to be they got to be careful here, the white Caps because Papco has got a responsibility to the taxpayers. Tax payers and you know what I think. You know, you look at the cost of living right now, Donnie, it's through the roof. And you know, they're helping out to the tune of one point five million for this soccer team. And the soccer team's basically saying, well that's not good enough. Well, you know, be careful, be careful. And in line with this, it's being.
Speaker 1: Reported that this deal would also apply to the BC Lions. Yes, a different situation with the Lions in that they don't have twenty thirty home dates there, you go fewer home the payroll is less, so there's a lot there. But you know a lot of people asking, when we brought this story up earlier this week and even last week, well, you know, if the white Caps get this deal, what about the Lions who have been around a lot longer than the white Caps, And it's being reported that they would get the same deal. Bad look for the white Caps, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: It is when the government says, you know what will help you out, We'll pitch in help you out. And look, it's not it's not the taxpayer's problem. The white Caps are having these issues. And then you have Hastings Park on the red tape there. The mayor's trying like heck in Vancouver to get that done for the white Caps and the Lions. If the Lions do choose to go down that route, that's not a quick solution that you know, Hastings Park is going to take forever. There's a ton of red tape. But the City of Vancouver should blame themselves. In two thousand and nine, Great Kirkfoot went to the city and said, downtown Vancouver all put up the money and they said no, they said no, So here we are what fifteen sixteen.
Speaker 1: Years later, Orda Thory got involved there. Still to this day and we've talked with Greg Criffett, I still don't understand exactly and I'm just not smart enough understand what happened there, because that seemed like a no brainer. A stadium in Vancouver on the waterfront, that's it.
Speaker 4: And he was going to buck up his own money and then the city said no. So these politicians, they they they stick there, you know, they get stuck in the mud. Themselves.
Speaker 1: It was more than just the city. There was, like I said, the different levels of government, but that seemed like a bra that that's in the past and for what's in front of them right now. I mean, I would imagine, given the situation on the Peeny grounds, that this would be a relatively short term agreement. Yeah, like how long would it take to build a stadium years to the year, three four years if they started tomorrow. So but but relatively speaking, fairly short term. So it seems like we have to get somebody on the show here that the white Caps would want a better deal. When it comes to concession and food. They get a small percentage right now, Obviously they'd want more than that. Either that or they're making it clear that this just is not going to work, no matter, no matter within reason, no matter what happens, you know. I mean, here's what they could raise ticket prices in an extremely significant way. That's not going to do. That's not going to go over well and Doddie, they're.
Speaker 4: Stuck where they're going to go. No one's buying the team, No one's buying the team.
Speaker 1: Up for sale. Last December, it was so strange because the news went from so bad, so negative, just so positive in such a short period of time, exactly mostly because of what was going on on the pitch. It was very, very impressive. And then a lot of people were getting this in our base side inboxes like, Okay, you're having all these troubles, you don't like your deal, your lease is expiring, there's this news of the team being up for sale, and the lease is experient. They went out and signed Thomas Mueller, Thomas Muller International Superstar and that move worked out really really well. But why do that if if if you're thinking of exactly jumping ship and Tony, here's another one for you.
Speaker 4: I don't want to get negative on the white Caps, but if you're losing money and tons of it, why the hell are you holding training camp in Spain? Like you know, Camels is available, Camloops, Kelowna, Whistler, you could, you could well, I know people don't want to hear this, but it is closer doing business down to the States.
Speaker 1: What about Arizona, California.
Speaker 4: Or whatever, which they've done before, they've done they've done Arizona before the white Caps, But why.
Speaker 5: The I think a lot of it comes down to also preseason competition and getting teams to play.
Speaker 1: You see that first preseason I had to do with good weather. That wasn't happening.
Speaker 4: No, here's a team from Mexico here in Langley tonight, So don't give me that. But that's a game though, Okay, I understand that. But why you guys in Spain, if you guys are losing tons of money?
Speaker 5: It's interesting like this last twenty four hours. I feel like it's flip the combo because I.
Speaker 1: Feel like conversation. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, When we came in it was Path goes the Big bad On Monday, Path goes the big bad Enemy.
Speaker 4: What are they doing? It feels like they're pushing them out all of this.
Speaker 5: Now they're saying like we're kind of doing all we can do for you, and the white Caps are still basically saying that the building and the setup doesn't match their budget.
Speaker 1: It sounds like this decision was made before we heard all of that right yesterday.
Speaker 5: So has all of this been a dog and pony show the MoU This whole Hastings thing, right?
Speaker 4: Is that even?
Speaker 3: Does it?
Speaker 4: Even? Like like I just don't like to hear straight up from the white Caps side.
Speaker 1: Of what we did what No, but what do you need like you need? Like, is it you need a bag of money and somebody building you a stadium? Do you The problem with that is that it's us providing the bag of money.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, no, unless it was an owner that came in and said they were building a stadium, right.
Speaker 1: Or are somebody else coming in to partner with Greg you foot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again even then in that accident that that doesn't mean that the deal is going to be to their to their liking.
Speaker 5: When every according to Axel, everybody that has been interested in the white Caps has basically tooken one, taken one look at the books and said this makes no senseime out.
Speaker 1: Well, it was also being reported that they're losing between ten and fifteen million dollars a year. Having said that, it's much like the Canuck situation. Their franchise value has gone.
Speaker 4: Up, Yeah, three four hundred million? Is it over four hundred now the white Caps? I think it's four.
Speaker 1: Hundred for a lot of people. Surprisingly high.
Speaker 4: You can't sit there and put a gun to the taxpayer's head when your franchise is worth four hundred million, Like I I.
Speaker 1: Just don't know, Like how did this get so bad? Is it purely because they don't look good here? The white Caps? Well, it's purely.
Speaker 5: Because the white Caps payroll because when they came into the MLS, it was a smaller league, smaller everything, and now MLS has kind of done this with some player salaries and everything. And so is that what it is that that that payroll has gone like this and the MAX benefits the revenue from the bottom line is revenue? Right, yeah, it's not there, But why is it not growing a BC place? I like a million and a half dollars in profit? Like that even confuses me, Like why are they making so little off.
Speaker 1: The white Caps? Okay, here's the other thing to it. The least just expired, right, it's done. Yeah, but it was a bad least in twenty twelve, Like, yeah, you made that. You made that mistake. If clearly you feel it's a mistake. If this Don Garber used the word back in November untenable, You can't.
Speaker 4: It's just but it's become that way. Yeah, sure because of the payroll guy, that's what I mean, right, it spent It was a bad deal.
Speaker 1: When I'm guessing they were bringing in less revenue. Well, through ticket sale and merchandise and stuff back back in twenty twelve.
Speaker 4: But the gap wasn't as big. But they signed fifteen years. Why signing a fifteen year least?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why? Why? But even this apparently sounds like Loongo's contract. That's your fault for signing for fifteen years. But that's in the past, so you move forward. And it just seems to me that like this is from the outside looking at they're greasing the skids for a move somewhere else. Yeah, that's what it looks like.
Speaker 4: So let me ask you, guys, because you were around, I wasn't.
Speaker 5: When was the first inkling about the Grizzlies that they were going to be out and and when was it gone?
Speaker 1: Because Lauri from Saint Louis, the Walmart people came in like so.
Speaker 4: We're staring down like potentially it had two years.
Speaker 1: And then then in came Michael Highley sang the national anthem, and then they win.
Speaker 4: Grizzlies were different. They were just flat out losing.
Speaker 1: Keeprizzlies last of six seasons. The crowd was paveerd. I still miss those games. I wish I wish it. The thing is with the Grizzlies verse is the white Caps. We're talking about this. I know we're short on time here now, but we're talking about this in the wake of a very successful season that I believe, and again I'm just going by, you know, my own stories. Like the people around me. They gained a whole bunch of new fans. The Grizzlies never won. I would have loved to see the situation in Vancouver and with the NBA, with a team that actually did something significant winning wise on the court. We never saw that. Out they go after six seasons. We never saw that. And David Stern, the layed Great David Stern said one of the big one of his big regrets was the way Vancouver was handled, like not having it they would have Tim Duncan here, never having a number one overall draft pick that they weren't allowed to. Got hurt that they weren't allowed to as an expansion franchise. Now you could say, oh, well, well Toronto had the same difficulties. Toronto's a much bigger market than Vancouver, and he said it was an easier go in Toronto.
Speaker 5: It's just sad, like a rich history of soccer that's gonna end. Really, you can't really don't know that.
Speaker 4: You're you're guessing. I mean they could solve this.
Speaker 1: How well, Okay, it doesn't look like it right now.
Speaker 4: Like the white Caps said, like this, this doesn't do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's one and a half million dollars long term, it doesn't. But you know what it looks like to the average person who may be renting out there. Their landlord has said to them, hey, you don't worry about the rent. We're good. Yeah, I still don't like it. That's what it looks like the average person. Now again, there's other layers to this, I'm sure, but if everybody's for a better deal, but I think for the average person, and we've all paid rent, right well, even not you you grow ah, stop it, are you kidding? But we've all paid rent. Can you imagine that situation? Absolutely? This is I've won the lottery.
Speaker 4: White Caps don't look good here, and the government's got to keep an eye out for the taxpayers. You know what, they got their hand out right now, the white Caps, and they just.
Speaker 1: Want more and more and more and more, big hand.
Speaker 4: And you know what, you got private owners who make a ton of money their businesses, right you know, this is a private enterprise.
Speaker 1: You're on your own.
Speaker 4: Ninety percent of the rest of the people who own businesses are on their own. They're not getting handouts like you guys want. White Caps don't look good right now.
Speaker 1: I agree with Ryan too. It's just the flip is so quick. Like in terms of this week alone, I don't know what the poll results were I was doing. I don't think we showed the poll. We didn't.
Speaker 4: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Well, let's do that in another segment because we're r ount of time here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe next cutting into your segment, Yeah, why didn't we show the poll because you talked about the statements first. Yeah, we didn't know.
Speaker 1: You know why, because we've lost Elvis. Elvis, Elvis Presley, the greatest of all time. We'll do that in a future segment, maybe the next one. Big rye the Twitter guy Donny telling the team on check.
Speaker 4: The Vancouver Giants twenty fifth anniversary season continues at the lec Enjoy a great night out with family and friends as you watch the g Men develop the next NHL star. Our check out Islanders draft pick Burt Hood and the Crease and twenty twenty six NHL Draft eligible players Ryan Lynn and map vis Preston. Grab single game tickets for less than twenty five dollars a seat, or group tickets for as low as twenty dollars per seat, eight quantities of eight or more. Visit the Vancouver Giants dot com slash tickets to grab yours now, Big Ran the Twitter guy.
Speaker 1: Should we run the poll right here? Just before we get to you Ryan? My apologies, Derek. If you don't mind Wattling Dog poll question, head to the Wattling Dog Pub for the Big Game this Sunday. Come sit and stay at the Dog today, Rick.
Speaker 4: Ryan got her up the Waddling Dog pull question. Who do you side with in the white Caps BC place negotiations? Four hundred and eighty three votes, Fifty eight percent say the white Caps spot not far behind BC place and PavCo at forty two percent. So, you know what, good good on the people voting for BC place. You're dealing with tac It is awfully tough nowadays, Donny. We talk about the grocery prices all the time. It's ridiculous. One bag of groceries just sixty seventy bucks. You know what, I don't think a lot of people have an appetite to be forking over money to a guy who's worth millions and owns of soccer.
Speaker 1: And he had fifty eight percent of the people say this goes against what I thought the poll results would be. Rick, So fifty eight percent saying the White Camp's forty two BC place, PavCo stay tuned. This story is not going to go away for a long time.
Speaker 3: Rick.
Speaker 5: All right, you just mentioned something in the last segment too. Rick, there's a lot of people in this market screaming about Francesco Acqui. They need talking to the media because of what's happening with the hockey team. It's about time the white Caps owners step up to the mic too.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 5: Well, Kerkfurt's never done anything, you know, Like Axel is a very good talker and he speaks on behalf of the club and all that.
Speaker 1: But look at we're on the verge of that leaving. You and I disagree on this.
Speaker 5: But Donny, they're on the Virgini of leaving. There's people that are assuming that this club is leaving.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: If an owners ever are gonna talk, this is the time to talk and pick one of them. The Nash is involved, Curfits involved, Mallet's involved, Nash barely spends any time here.
Speaker 1: He's a rumor. But that keep in mind the way you're forgetting is that could make things worse. Yeah, but is not He's not comfortable in front of the camera from what I understand, and as you know, I know him somewhat and Francesco Aquiline. I'm not trying to defend them, same thing. I mean, it's no, it's but but when you're it could it could make things absolutely not every owner's life. Not every owner is Amar Doman, who's sure credible. People are successful business people. I'm sorry somebody though, you're right, or somebody I mean.
Speaker 5: You're like again, we're people are assuming your team is leaving within the next year or two.
Speaker 1: Or here's the other thing. I mean, maybe it's done.
Speaker 4: Do they're not gonna it starts here. They got to come back from Spain. That's the other thing. Like, yeah, but there's I mean the other thing too.
Speaker 1: I know we talked about this in the previous segment, but from my experience, and this happened with the Grizzlies. Yeah, once you get a with a with just the slightest scent that a team is going to move, it happens smoke fire. Yeah, and and even if that isn't the case, what's that going to do to their numbers going into this so this season?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you said it, like, if you're a season ticket over, that's one thing because a lot of the money, probably for the most part's gone. But if you're a casual fan, but I mean, despite wanting to go see Mueller, and if they have another great year, why are you going to give your hard earned money over to a franchise that again, we might be a year up from them going.
Speaker 1: There's a plan to leave.
Speaker 4: Don't they get four or five million a year from Apple?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean yeah, okay, a lot of people wondering about the TV deal too.
Speaker 4: The TV deal. I do believe they get a ton of money from Apple, So like what's their like, why are they losing so much money?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But okay, we we argue about this all the time because I say, look at the Canucks. They're getting TV money and what do they do? They jacked the prices on the fans. Here a Canucks.
Speaker 4: Salary cap numbers are nowhere near the white cap salary. You're different universes. I mean, I mean Canucks are up to eighty eighty five, they're going to be over one hundred million in cap right, white Caps aren't at one hundred million.
Speaker 1: There's not even the clothes they did buck up for.
Speaker 4: Muer I mean, you're kay, Well after they let what's his name going.
Speaker 1: Understanding Alfonso Davies and the money they got for going to Byron Munich was used to pay off debt.
Speaker 4: Well, they've been horrible for so many years. They have a good year now, one good year after so many horrible and now they're acting like, you know, you know, give.
Speaker 3: Us the start.
Speaker 1: Frustrating point for the hardcore soccer fans is that so many people who weren't necessarily hardcore soccer fans got it. They got the attraction this year and then then and I realize this talk goes back to last year. Yeah, but it seemed like, for a brief moment there at least that Okay, everything's gonna be okay. And now this story breaks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and why can't this city come up with a twenty five to thirty thousand seats? Hamilton take a long time that Donnie, Donnie, Hamilton's got one, Winnipeg's got one, Saskatchewan's got one. Yeah, but to Donney's point, that's still okay. Land is cheaper. Land is cheaper in those provinces. Let's call a spades BA. But my goodness, we're talking about Vancouver and you can't even put twenty five to thirty thousand seat facility.
Speaker 1: Curfoot wanted too.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well again, that's in the past. Now let's let's move forward. You gotta break, we gotta break. There's a massive, not a massive. There's an interesting NBA trade. Maybe we'll get to that later. A lot of inbox very quickly says, give us the trade.
Speaker 5: This is unbelievable. Anthony Davis being traded out of Dallas. Guys, the Dallas Mavericks are trading Anthony Davis, Jaden Hardy, D'Angelo Russell, Dante Aximpt to the Washington Wizards for a package of players. But it's interesting because we literally just passed the one year anniversary of the Luca trade from from the from the MAVs to the Lakers. Rick Is is so excited about this conversation.
Speaker 4: Nam you're one guy out of all I know Anthony Anthony Davis, but I don't know what Chris Middleton, you.
Speaker 1: Branham Dante X, Marvin Bagley. Okay, I don't know if his guys come on.
Speaker 5: It's just interesting, massive trade. And now that guy's gone immediately.
Speaker 1: Because I day minute one. Everybody, this was a best deal. Yes, you know, what the heck are you doing? Of course that GM is now gone.
Speaker 4: Ye uh, As I mentioned, we're way over time. Shannon's next to Tony Dolly the team I check.
Speaker 1: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 4: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 1: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five eight eight oh eight two or email advertised at checkmedia dot CA. Wednesday and all of our guests today, including John Shannon, standing by and sponsored by the BC Construction Safety Alliance. The BCCSA provides services to more than fifty seven thousand construction companies throughout BC. BC Construction Safety Alliance celebrating twenty five years making safety simple. How's that phone going there?
Speaker 3: Rick?
Speaker 6: Good?
Speaker 1: Hey? Any remember drome Aginla? All right, you're kind of paying attention like I'm always.
Speaker 4: Looking about that could have gone so much worse.
Speaker 1: Oh so big time. John Shannon joining us now from the one hundred percent Hockey Podcast and one hundred percent Connections. If something like that has never happened to John, how are you, Sarah?
Speaker 8: I can't believe that. I just can't believe that we've all I mean, you know, just make sure that those bookmarks are the right bookmarks, that's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Like, like Ryan says, that could have been much worse. You were You heard our discussion about the white Caps and and BC place. You're a BC kid, John, That's a It would be just a shame if the white Caps left this uh left this city again again?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know it would be And you know, but the harsh reality of this is mister Kurkfoot's in the business of making money, and at a certain point, the money that he spent in getting the franchise back to Vancouver, the value of a franchise is how much larger?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 8: How much bigger? You know that you know owners, As much as we all love to think that owners want the same things that fans do, some some owners, a lot of owners have different agendas and it's called ROI return on investment. So at a certain point you have to look and say, am I doing the right thing for my franchise if you're the owner, or am I doing the right thing for my pocketbook? Yeah, it's a tough it's a tough one.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 8: You guys are all right. It would be great that you know that there would be a nice twenty five thousand seat stadium in the city. It would be great. But let's also remember that, you know, what they built in Regina cost a lot of people in the city thousands of dollars that wasn't paid for by the province. You know, the Hamilton Stadium was built for the Pan American Games. They got one hundred and sixty five million dollars to do that. You know, Winnipeg, you know, got some assists stins. So there's a there's there's a lot of things in play here. But if you do it for the white Caps, where do you draw the line? And it's and it's not just as simple as well, it's it's the stadium. And so the Lions get the same deal, which you know we were told that they would. But why not help the Prince George Cougars, why not help the Kelowna Rockets. Why not help the Kamloops Blazers Victoria Royals. Where do where do you draw the line when you help one one professional sports team over another. That's that's the see that's the fairness doctor. And in US Canadians that we do that. That doesn't happen in the United States, where jurisdictions say we're going to tax everybody for rental cars, hotel rooms, you know, you know, bald tires on your car. Uh, and then we're going to put that towards the new stadium. And it's different in our country.
Speaker 1: They just moved so quickly down there. In comparison, John NHL, up, if you don't mind, we'll take a turn here. Sam Bennett replacing Anthony Sirelly for Team Canada. Does that make sense? Oh?
Speaker 8: Sure it does. You know a lot of people would have said Sam Bennett should have been ahead of Anthony before the original roster was submitted on December thirty. First, you do have to feel bad for Sarelli, who was a good member of the Four Nations team, has been a great member for John Cooper's team in Tampa. But for him to have his shoulder issue in not being able to play that. That's a that would really hurt.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: You have to wonder at some point, will Hockey Canada if they get to the medal round bring Anthony over just to be an observer, to enjoy the time, you know, and and for what he's gone through and all the orientation he did. But that said, Sam Bennett has been a one of the best players in the National Hockey League for the last two years, in the playoffs in four nations, so it does make a ton of sense.
Speaker 4: John Philipel h he's battling migraines right now. Came back from the concussion, lasted just six games. This this one's We've had Furlan Poolman, We've had Bear sheeen in the last ten years. Guys with concussions. What would you best advise Philipeedal to do, John.
Speaker 8: Well, I haven't seen any of the diagnosis, but you have to do what's right for your body, for your future, you know, you know, you know, we all look at hockey players and think that they're invincible. Any athlete think they're invincible. They think they're invincible, and then at the age of thirty seven, when their body starts to break down and you realize at the age of fifty that you have to have you know, both hips replaced in a knee replacement and and by the way, you can't have a brain replacement. You have to do what's right for the for you the rest of your life. And it's unfortunate. Philip Heedel is one of the you guys know him. He's one of the most likable, approachable guys this team has. Loves to play the game. Thought he has resolved this issue with his off season workout last year at home working with his brother, improving and strengthening all of his neck muscles. But it just has not worked. And so you do have to think that at a certain point, sooner than later, that retirement has to be a discussion factor, you know, and and do what's better for his his new wife and for whatever his family, his mum and dad and his brother and his own kids. It's at a certain point will mean to him. That's it's it's really unfortunate.
Speaker 4: A few weeks ago, I ripped the outdoor game in Miami. I said it was absolutely horrendous, and then over the weekend at Tampa Bay was absolutely great. How could two outdoor games take place in the same state and be one be so awful and once be so great.
Speaker 8: Well, you see, but you're a purist Rick and uh you you actually want the games to be competitive. The Ranger game against the Panthers was not competitive. The Ranger game, what was it? Six to one? Was the final, So you know, the game in Tampa was on the precipice of being a dog too, five to one, but right, and then you know, and then then you know, we get Jeremy Swayman and andre Vassilevski, we get the the lightning with seven consecutive power plays, and all of a sudden, we're talking about one of the greatest games in outdoor history because the second half of the game was had a great comeback. And and by the way, and you're gonna laugh at me, outdoor games are much more entertaining when the home team wins.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, people don't.
Speaker 8: People don't lament Well, I I sat there in thirty nine fahrenheit degrees and froze my butt off and we didn't even win the game.
Speaker 1: Well you know what, they didn't.
Speaker 8: You froze your butt off still, but you won the game if you were a Tampa fan, And that made it more exciting. And just to see Mark Messier wear a pirate outfit that you know, that was that was pretty exciting.
Speaker 1: And PK, hey, very quickly, John, p K.
Speaker 8: Hold on, hold on, hold on, Donnie, p K looks like that all the time.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 8: Yeah, PK, PK's dress code. But to see to see Mark wear an eye patch, I mean, seriously, come.
Speaker 1: On, didn't you have one on when he played with the Canucks?
Speaker 8: Hey, someone say he had some would say he had a patch on both eyes.
Speaker 1: There, okay? Quickly, Rick talked in Philadelphia and Mitchkoff, do you agree with the criticism being leveled being the Rick toocket is being hit with in Philly?
Speaker 8: No, Rick, What what it does do is it justifies everything John Tartarella said and did with with beach goof too. This is this, This is not new about Meatchkoff. You know, he's he's got tremendous talent. But you know, you better come to camp in shape, and you better play the team game. And if you don't do that, then you don't belong in the.
Speaker 1: National hockey team.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, and and you know this, and Rick wants to win, and I mean, I'm I'm a I'm a Rick supporter, so but Rick wants to win, and he wants to win now, even though the team Danny Brereer and Keith Jones are saying, we can afford to be patient and build something here for you know, for a decade. But to me, this is on Meatchkoff and if and you know, but here's the thing. Look at all the great Russians that have come over Capriceov spectacular off in Montreal.
Speaker 1: Just wonderful.
Speaker 8: You know what a talent. Mish Coff looks and appears to be a bit of the dud at this point, even though you can see the talent from a mile away. But I can only imagine after listening to Rick talk. You know, John Torrella is at his farm in Connecticut putting his hand up and saying, see I told you sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, John, thanks for this one. And by the way, the viewers of this show and on a regular basis, upset that you informed them brain replacements aren't possible. John, thanks for this well.
Speaker 8: Actually, at Rick, Rick was trying to find that on his phone using Google.
Speaker 3: That's what that was.
Speaker 4: I've already googled that.
Speaker 1: Thanks John. Next week, Cheers boys, you bet. John Shannon one Percent Hockey Podcast. I think he has Bill Daily on this week, so that should be interesting. Okay, we're way behind here. We'll catch up with the poll question and Kristin del Bianco of the Warriors next, Donnie Dilly the Temo.
Speaker 2: Jack, Donnie and Dollie. The team is supported by Ableauctions dot CA. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 1: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets.
Speaker 4: In a timely, orderly manner online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 1: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able auctions dot ca. Do's sales at ab l E Auctions dot Ca. Wednesday and all of our guests today has mentioned earlier and all of our guests, including Christian del Bianco of the Warriors standing by sponsored by the BC Construction Safety Alliance Warriors. Vancouver Warriors take on Rochester Saturday at Rogers Arena. It's Wrestling Night Rick They beat the Nighthawks sixteen to six last weekend in Rochester. The Warriors are now five and two and joining us now star Vancouver Warriors goaltender the Pride of Coquitlam, Christian del Bianco. Christian, thanks for doing this, sir. How are you noorriers?
Speaker 9: Thanks?
Speaker 8: Thank you for having me on.
Speaker 1: Guys appreciate it, no problem. What goes on during a National Lacross League wrestling night? Do you have any idea? Yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 9: I can't say I've been a part of one yet, but I'm sure the fans will like a lot of those side stuff, and I think more importantly it's fun for the young family and kids that come home.
Speaker 1: Now I got to correct you, Christian, I think you were part of a wrestling night last weekend in Rochester. For people who didn't see this last weekend in Rochester, huge brawl, your long bomb past to Steph Sharpen. Oh, he gets crushed by Rochester goaltender Ryland Hartley, brawl breaks out, get involved. What was your take on this situation and what can we expect on the weekend when you play the same team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I think it's just an unfortunate play that a lot of us feel that maybe isn't really a part of our game. But I'm proud and happy kind of how our team stepped up, right, especially a guy like Ryan Dilkes, just kind of showing the team tough and handling it. But first priority on Saturday is winning all lacrosse game. The settling scores and all that stuff. I think, especially if you're going to go out in media and talk about that stuff and kind of posture, it's fake tough. I think we kind of showed that as a team, we're willing to handle stuff if we need to.
Speaker 1: I tell you right now, Kduck fans are loving hearing this, Kristin. They'd like to hear more of it from the NHL team. Hey five and two so far, what are the reasons for your team's success?
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's a lot, right, it's building. I think you kind of see how good our league is nowadays and just kind of the parody throughout. But it just taking it one game at a time and understanding that every games must win. You don't really have that luxury of taking nights off or having these lapses of playing a bad fifteen minutes. You have to play full sixty minutes and as a team, I think we've been able to do that more often than not.
Speaker 4: You know, the goals against the third best in the league. You're a huge part of that. But how much is that commitment to defense been this year?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's huge, Right. We have a veteran group that they just do so many things well, so many different skill sets. Some bigger defenders that obviously block the middle and kind of make it hard to get to the front of the net. And then we have some fast guys that can stretch the floor and also just pressure people laden clocks. So as a team, I think we've really played well off of each other and it shows just kind of as a defense the different ways that we can defend different styles of offensive players.
Speaker 4: As we saw in the first highlight long ball passer, you're one of the best in the league. Well, what are some of the keys to that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's just I think part of its personnel, having the guys to get down the floor, letticism there, but also the coaching, right, like there has to be a level of trust between me and me and Mouse our coach Kurt that I can make those passes and know when to reel it in when we need to just possess the ball, So it's a fun part of the game, but it definitely takes some time to feel out when to push in when to hold it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you recently registered your one hundredth career National Lacrosse League assistant very quickly. We saw some highlights there for people who don't know number forty five Kegan Ball. What a player two goals and eleven assists last weekend in Rochester. What does he mean to your team? Christian?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think he's one of those guys that not only what he does on the floor he leads by, but just kind of off the floor, the way he prepares, like the vocal stuff, all of that. He kind of he checks every box for a star player in what you want out of a player in our league. And I think he's been there for some of the bad years in Vancouver and it's nice for him to be a big part of us kind of getting things going in the right direction here.
Speaker 1: Another equivalent kid like yourself and the Malawsky, pretty much everybody on the roster, it seems, Christian, good luck with this, good luck with the season, and on the weekend against those Rochester Nighthawks.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much.
Speaker 8: Sir, no, thank you very much for having me.
Speaker 9: Guys enjoy you.
Speaker 1: Bet Christin del Bianco over one hundred now over one hundred career assists as a goaltender. Yeah, in the National Lacross League. He came over in a trade from Calgary last year.
Speaker 4: And you know goalies in hockey, you're all six four six by six six.
Speaker 1: He's not done. And you saw the first goalie in the highlight.
Speaker 4: He was huge. He's such a good goaltender. He's a big reason for the turnaround in Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Should be fun for Saturday night Rogers Arena Wrestling Night Warriors against the Rochester Nighthawks. Some business here, right, let's do some business. Artitle sponsor is able Auctions. If it's time for you to close your business and empty your building, give the experts at able Auctions a call. From metal fabrication shops to wood shops, restaurants, construction equipment, vehicle and truck fleets, or any type of business. Able Auctions can help. Email sales at abel Auctions, dot ca A, sales at a b l E Auctions, dot C A break and DTMZ and some more business. Next, Donny Dolly, the team on you It's eleven thirty on a Wednesday morning.
Speaker 4: DONNYE. Dolley on check TV. Now time for DTMZ, brought to you by the world famous Swister Golf Club. Go Si big al out there, A great track.
Speaker 1: Great track. DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design Whistle Golf Club, excited to get Phase two of their golf course reno underway in April. And a reminder if you're visiting Whistler, I want to keep your game sharp. Come play some of the world's best courses on the sim book online at whistergolf dot com. We got to get this ranting Amazon delivery guy on our show. That story. We got to get that on fairly so we're out of time today because of the white Caps situation, and rightfully so it's an important issue.
Speaker 4: We'll get right to birthdays, all right, Ryan, you're gonna play the music. February fourth, Little Leo's Fire Hydrant Factory in Casino and Douglas, British Columbia, right by the US border right there, the Peace.
Speaker 1: Arch sponsoring the birthday se.
Speaker 4: Who's it Dad dom Dom White wos Dom in White Rock. This it starts with a D Okay, here we go. It's February fourth, Wednesday. Despite being eligible for several NHL drafts, this player went undrafted before signing as a free agent in the NHL in twenty twenty two. First NHL season, he scored almost forty goals twenty twenty two. Yeah, missing the rookie age cutoff by only a few months to be eligible for the Calder. In his rookie campaign, he had a whopping twenty seven point six percent shooting percentage. He played in the Continental Hockey League HL Russia for Saint Petersburg and c s k A Moscow.
Speaker 1: So he joined twenty twenty two in the Yeah, come.
Speaker 4: On, Canocks feed out many teams to Cusmeko, cuz Maco. There should be a thirty thirty on Cusmeko and how he I think every single Telogia it should be a thirty thirty on Cusmeco and then Cusmeco dumped Dan Milstein.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable. There's there's a thirty for thirty right there.
Speaker 4: Thirty thirty Okay. This undrafted goaltender won a Memorial Cup with Toronto in nineteen sixty four. His first success was sharing the nineteen seventy one Vesna with Tony Esposito. Who didn't love Tony Espasito? I love Tony Espasito. In the nineteen seventy.
Speaker 1: Fo shared it. Eh, yeah, you shared it, Paso. They did. That's so lame.
Speaker 4: Why why are you saying? Why are you upset with the winner?
Speaker 1: It was based but then it was based on goals against. It was the goalies. It was es Pasido in him, and then you should still have a time breaker. Good. That's so lame.
Speaker 4: That's so lame. Shared cut it in happy more like a team back then? Stay out of stuff in the seventies. Anyways, in the nineteen seventy four season, he was voted into the NHL All Star Game, also at Heart Trophy votes. You know, Marry Smith, I knew it, the Dale Twerry Smith suitcase Smith.
Speaker 1: Hey, you look on his Hockey Reference or hockey database a lot of teams, hence the nickname suitcase Smith.
Speaker 4: Oh, hold it a second. His other nickname was the Axe because of his tendency to swing his stick at passing opponents.
Speaker 1: What is that about not having so much time?
Speaker 4: Okay, anyways, let's go This forward was a late round pick by Colorado in two thousand and three, tenth overall pick in the Ohl Draft by Owen Sound. Before games, he followed a strict routine, including eating eggs and pancakes followed by a nap.
Speaker 1: Any media member, is it a media member?
Speaker 4: It's a hockey player who went in.
Speaker 1: The Colorado and the drama pancakes.
Speaker 10: So cakes, eggs and a nap on game days, that's not that. Okay, hey, bad name. We know cakes, egg and eggs and a napp. Mart Tiggs, eggs and a nap. We know some media guys. You'd like to do that right now.
Speaker 4: He won a Stanley Cup of the Kings in twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: Kinks yep.
Speaker 4: He signed as a free agent with the Canucks in twenty thirteen one point five million per year on a two year deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are you talking about? I got to give you the numbers.
Speaker 4: He left Vancouver for Arizona verbata. No, he was hit by Nikita Triampkin so hard.
Speaker 1: Brad Richardson, Nah, I know you get it.
Speaker 4: And Brad Richardson, by the way, was the first guy to tell Patrick Alvin you got a problem with Miller and Peterson.
Speaker 3: Fix it.
Speaker 4: In the year end meetings. It was Brad Richardson who told the GM fix the problem, you got an issue and named the acts. Yeah, and he's been on our show. All right, here we go two thousand Hockey Hall of Famer and Duck ded known for his incredible speed and playmaking one of the hundred, named one of the hundred Greatest NHL players in history. Playing for the Montreal Juniors, he played on the line with Dennis Sere and Dennis Tromblay, all born on the same day, February fourth, nineteen sixty one. All had the same birthday, and then on Really yeah, I'm telling you, I did my research. In the nineteen eighties, only Wayne Gretzky, Peter Stashney, and Yari Curry had more points.
Speaker 1: Donald also named Dennis he was.
Speaker 4: He was a black Hawks head coach one time.
Speaker 1: Dennisavar, Dennisa Vard Spinarrama, ember Patrick Kane crying after he got let go. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: He He coached Taves and Kine in his first year in Chicago. Also known as the Savardian Spinarama. No, that's wrong, that's seers of art.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, Searchar my first interview I did when I worked for Sports Page. Really yeah, Sirchmark, Dennis Varder Schirtsmark. We haven't got much time to what's the art?
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Dennis?
Speaker 4: Dennis very nice? Oh well at the Chicago Stadium, he was so fun to w all right, Yeah, last.
Speaker 1: One to be the best goal in the National Hockey of the history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's got some great ones. In nineteen eighty one, this player became the first player in NFL history to win the Defensive Rookie of the Year and the Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. Nineteen eighty six one became that.
Speaker 1: Just let me about telling you. Did you see when the Defensive.
Speaker 4: Year, Rookie of the Year, Rookie ok Rookie Rookie, and Defensive Player of the Year. In nineteen eighty six, he became the only second defensive player ever to win the ap NFL MVP aboard, joining Alan Page.
Speaker 1: Is it Alan Page? You remember Alan Page?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: Purple People Leaders, Purple People Leaders.
Speaker 4: Fran Tarkenton beautiful, beautiful time. I know, I know, but we go back to Fran. It was his birthday yesterday, Fran Tarkenton.
Speaker 3: I missed it.
Speaker 1: He finished.
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: Eh, good, that's incredible. That's incredible. He was on That's incredibly he hosted it. He's turned he turned eighty six yesterday. Fran Tarkenton was great. Anyways, this guy finished his thirteen season career one hundred and forty two sacks. Are you guys here, he's both of you?
Speaker 1: Forty one force fumbles, his past rushing skills for team did he play for?
Speaker 4: I'm getting to that teams were forced to change how they their offense because this guy was so good. Live Diversity nineteen eighty nine Hall of Fame. He was in movies like The Water Boy.
Speaker 1: A Larnce Taylor, Lawrence Taylor, and sopranos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sopranos too, Yeah, Lawrence Taylor, University of North Carolina, North Carolina. You better believe that.
Speaker 1: What the not for basketball? What a great linebacker? Lt Lots of fun off the field with Lawrence. Okay, we're good. We'll save your business for the next segment. Alice Cooper meanwhile, seventy eight years old, Alice big hockey fan, and he's going to play us out. April seventy two in the album of the same name, This is Alice Cooper and School's Out. What a tune on check So Hot it's cool on a PC Wednesday morning.
Speaker 4: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: In some business? Next?
Speaker 4: Looking for one of Victoria's most iconic stays. The award winning Waddling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport and the ferry, Their room blend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, wald towall TVs every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go stuck up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come, sit and s day?
Speaker 1: All right? Uh? Is it just me? Before we get to that recked very quickly? Some business?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, take your time.
Speaker 4: BC's number one sports memorabiliy and gaming shop is Pastime Sports check Out, the largest selection of sports memorabilia, autographed items, trading cards, and collectible games in Western Canada. You got four locations. You got Metro Town, Guilford Mall, cap Plana Mall. And look at this the largest store in Langley. If you can't visit them in store, you can shop their massive collection future cards from any air online at Pastime sports dot C laptop.
Speaker 5: I'm scared for a second, I forgot I changed this opeach you cards on the right brand new, get them ather hot. How about this pastime now has soccer cards. Look at that Thomas Mueller. What is a white cap tops soccer card? You can buy one of those. They've got them in these cases. They're outstanding. They got world soccer stars, including Thomas Mueller at Passed Sports.
Speaker 1: That card might be really valuable in a could be. Is it just me all right?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: Fran Tarkenton was the main reason, donnye I watched the Vikings. I was a Vikings so I watched them every week. And I have to say, what was their stadium done?
Speaker 1: In the trip?
Speaker 4: Politans Metropolitan and the Purple People leaders, Donnie, they had the best uniforms. I this is Dwight and Chilliwack.
Speaker 1: I agree with them. Yeah, their uniforms. They bring them back every once in a while. And the Vikings quarterback I grew up with was Joe Capp. Joe Capp formerc Lions, I grew up. He was there for two three years but had gone to a Super Bowl that they lost to the Chiefs Jeeves from Surrey.
Speaker 6: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: But Rick thinks there should be a thirty for thirty about Tom's video.
Speaker 4: Stop with the Toms video. I accidentally said Tom's video. I don't think I don't know Tom's video. I accidentally I said it in Tom, Dick and Harry. Could have been any It could have been anyone's name.
Speaker 1: Well, Dick's video would probably be about the same.
Speaker 4: Could have been Dick's video, could have been Tom, Dick and Harry. I look, bottom line, I don't know anything about Tom's video rock and roll, all right?
Speaker 5: Is it just me?
Speaker 3: But they.
Speaker 1: Dolly Walls and his birthday clues are so lame?
Speaker 4: Three Putt Shaine. I put a lot of time into those birthday clues. Down you and you know that they take time.
Speaker 1: And here's three Putt Shaine ripping my clues. You know what. I spent a lot of hours on those birthday clues. I know you work krd mark and kloonna.
Speaker 3: Is it just me?
Speaker 1: But why why doesn't BC Place sign a building sponsorship deal to gain revenue and then pass on concessions at parking to the white Caps slash Lions. I think he's talking about naming rights for the for the stadium, which they had to deal with tell Us, But the bell sponsorship for the white Caps got on the way and it's it's a it's a mystery. It just seems to be. It seems to be well, three putt, Shane. It seems to be a gimme yeah, right.
Speaker 4: Yep, three put Shane. I've missed three from three feet out. You've seen me do. That is the white Caps revenue problem related to poor Brad, revenue, RP and White Rock. Good question, Donny. I'm not hearing that. I'm hearing the revenue from Apple is high, like it's a significant number. I'm not hearing that they have revenue problems with the money coming in. I think they get four to five million a year from Apple.
Speaker 1: That's pretty good, right, And I think a lot of the submissions we're getting have to do with the one million dollar profit or the one and a half million dollar profit for BC Place per season from the white Caps. They feel it should be more Craig and vander who visits me or doesn't these cities slash problems owe it to taxpayers to keep BC place occupied? What would it cost taxpayers to maintain an empty stadium if the white Caps and Lions were to leave? The government has said that they would be able to fill those dates at least if the white Caps left. Yeah, and how do you keep in mind the Lions are there? What not nine times?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But the Lions only play nine and then if they got let's give them two points, James Max, you know, and that's it?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or do the white Caps really want to be here anymore? Their CEO is response to the government's assistant, sounded bleak. Sounds like they're looking to go south or a free stadium build, you know. And that's Bobby and Poco and those. There's been whispers of that for a while now, going back to last Christmas, not this past Christmas, the Christmas before that, twenty twenty four team up for sale?
Speaker 1: What would what did that? What would that mean? But then you had this terrific season and it seemed to change everything. I guess not.
Speaker 4: What do you got the problem with Liken? It is ninety percent of goals against go over his shoulders. He's on his knees too much. I missed the stand up goalie era. Greg and Abbey.
Speaker 1: Greg, He's got to be my age. It is strange to watch the goaltenders of the past. Kirk mcclaim might have been the last really great stand up goaltender. I stand to be Craig. Marty Purr didn't go down all that much either, but it's just never went down. You ever remember, I asked Jim Pappen. Yeah, because he did go down in the nineteen seventy one Stanley Cup Final to make what may be the greatest saving playoff history. Ryan, you're sitting your laughing away there because they brought up somebody you don't know about. Educate yourself it was maybe it might be that. Look at you laughing away there, Bill Pappen.
Speaker 4: He doesn't know, but he doesn't even know Ken.
Speaker 1: Dry like you don't know Jim Pappen either, the j Jim, but maybe the greatest save in National Hockey League history. Donn and Sikamus, you're up there, I know you're playing with me.
Speaker 4: Show it showing the pop ryding say does he have it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But he My point is he went down to make that safe. Ken Dryden very rarely went down.
Speaker 4: They'd be smoking California Golden Seels nine nothing and he'd he'd be like one of the only.
Speaker 1: Time he went down is when he listened to Casey in the Sunshine band and get down tonight.
Speaker 4: Oh Casey in the Sunshine bad? Are you showing this a band in? It's hard to find?
Speaker 1: Bill?
Speaker 5: Why do people like, look at this, somebody posting an eight minute video and it's just still and some guy talking about the same.
Speaker 1: That's the same. That's pople do this, Matt. And you know what pappened? Did Bill j He changed his name to Bill No Jim Pappen. What teams on Chicago? That's okay. He raised his arms because he thought he was in thought. I thought it was in. That's a real. Dryden was a rookie and one of the great weird stats in National Hockey League history. Ken Dryden put this in your pipe, Rick. Ken Dryden won the con smythe out of four. He won the Calder Yes as Rookie of the Year. I remember this playoff m VP one year, Rookie of the Year the.
Speaker 4: Next out of Cornell University Cornell. Yeah, yeah, he came out of Cornell.
Speaker 1: One of the very home of the stand up goaltender. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, It's time to let Rutherford, Rutherford, Alvin go bring up Ryan Johnson, GM Mahulter, as coach Bill says, do those two things. But they have announced, you know, the foot's not going anywhere this year. If they make a change of a foot, it's going to be after the season.
Speaker 1: Donny, speaking of hockey and Adam foot Well, speaking of the NHL, Jim Pappitt's been traded. The NHL roster freeze goes into effect at noon. I've had one trade, right, hey, Nick bugstatu is going from Saint Louis to the Devils for who right.
Speaker 5: They actually just finally made the details official. It's for a draft pick as a hit Puberty for the first time, a fourth round draft pick. And and HL later so nothing on, nothing on. Penerien and Drants reported that it sounds like nothing's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: With doing anything.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're down to eleven minutes. You know why I was saying, Bill Pappen, remember the TV show of White Shadow.
Speaker 1: That's why I was thinking. Was there a guy named Bill Pappen.
Speaker 4: I think so Donny would know. Yes, White Shadow was great. Yeah, yeah, it was a show. It was a TV show, White Shadow, it was a great show.
Speaker 1: I'm not seeing that.
Speaker 4: I'm not seeing anybody named Bill Pappen. Why am I taking Bill Papa?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. Who's got Bill mixed up with Jim? That's why Bill Jim Pappen. If I'm not mistaken, let the leafs and points in the last Stanley Cup is a greater Toronto area of real.
Speaker 4: Oh no, right here, I got it. Oh no, that's Jim Pappen.
Speaker 1: White Shadow is a good show. Oh so good?
Speaker 4: White Shadow was good.
Speaker 1: What's the name of the actor?
Speaker 3: Bill Papen?
Speaker 1: Bill Pappen? I was thinking Bill Poppen, he was good. What else he got? We gotta go, we got we gotta go, We gotta go. Okay, we'll figure out that actor. Look forward to that, folks. We'll reveal the answer. Our next segment will also wrap up the show and our poll question. Donny Delly, the team I Check.
Speaker 6: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is celebrating twenty five years of making BC work sites safer. As part of that mission, the BCCSA is now on the Road with the Safety on Tour, a new mobile education experience that delivers live safety demonstrations directly to your work site, school, or community. Safety on the Tour offers engaging, interactive demonstrations that highlight key safety principles, whether it's the effectiveness of fall arrest systems, the advantages of safe lifting procedures, or the protection offered by helmets, safety glasses and gloves. Safety on Tour transforms safety information into memorable and actionable experiences. Book now at a reserve and appearance by the Safety on Tour Mobile experience. Contact the vc Construction Safety Alliance by emailing Safety on Tour at VCCSA dot.
Speaker 1: CA dot pole reckon. Before we get to the poll results, you have an update in terms of the lead character, the lead actor in White Shadow.
Speaker 4: White Shadow, we got a ton of texts. Ken Howard is the guy. Was a great show. It was back in the seventies or eighties done, I want to say early eighties eighties. White Shadow is great basketball. It was a show about basketball. Dote and the pole question, yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, get her up right, get it up up?
Speaker 4: Who do you side with in the White Caps BC place negotiations? Boy, this one's getting closer and closer. Fifty five percent say the white Caps, but not far behind a forty five is BC place in Papco in seven thirty eight the amount of votes that are coming in and Donnie, the BC place has got to be careful. We got taxpayer money, you know, going here. You know, and these guys that own these teams are millionaires over and over and over again. How much of a sweet deal can you give these guys?
Speaker 1: Remembors going around that Bill Pappen. We'll come to the rescue.
Speaker 4: Bill Pappen is going to buy the white Caps and get a deal done with the BC place. I could to find Bill Pappen. What's the guy's name, Jim Pappen. Jim Jim Pappen, no relation to Bill Pappen. Okay, where we're going now? Photo Ryan, no photos? I like this one from Bill? Is it just in Pitt?
Speaker 1: No human legs?
Speaker 4: Wherever meant to go into the butterfly position like the NFL lineman. It'll be interesting to see how these goalies knees and hips are in thirty years.
Speaker 1: Bill and Pitt.
Speaker 4: You know, and the thing about Demko, people don't realize a big guy like we're talking six or four, well over two hundred pounds. He's getting injured a lot. And Bill makes a good point. He makes a really good point about goldtender.
Speaker 1: I have heard that people have said that goaltenders end up end up better regarding that style once they've had hip surgery. It actually helps them. But the problem here with Dempko is that this is his second go round that can go around. When it comes to.
Speaker 4: Hip searcher and do we know right hip or left hip?
Speaker 1: We don't know that. I think it's both hips, isn't it.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I'm not sitting here to tell I'm not a hip expert.
Speaker 1: Well if you have, I thought you're an Elvis fan.
Speaker 4: No, but listen to me. Don hips don't lie, but you don't. They didn't announce surgery on the hips. They just said hip surgery.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Dennis in Langley hip surgery four to six months, back to form another six months. I'm an ex goalie with two hip surgeries. It ended my playing days. Dennis in Langley.
Speaker 4: There you go, and Dennis right there right and I look everyone's saying Denico is going to be one hundred percent for training camp time will Tell, Time, will Tell, Time, will Tell.
Speaker 1: Canucks Vegas Connucks last game before the Olympic break. The NHL schedule continues tomorrow and then that's it. Three weeks off and then off to the Olympics they go. Actually, the plane leaves for Team Canada on Saturday. Yeah. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks on behalf of Brian Derek Rick, everybody here at Oh Boy and check. I'm done and you have to date the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dolly for all the latest show content.