Speaker 1: Welcome to our deep dive into ontologies using Python.
Speaker 2: Ontologies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ontologies. You know, it's a way to describe knowledge in a way that machines can actually work with it. So we're using this book called ontologies with Python as our main source. It focuses on this Python module called owlready two hmm. And I think you'll be pretty surprised by what you can actually do with ontologies, like what you can build websites that like understand complex data wow, or even power AI that can like reason like a human. Hmm.
Speaker 2: That's that's pretty impressive, it is, right, So what is an ontology?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What is an ontology?
Speaker 2: Like, how is it different from just regular programming?
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's not just data, okay, like you would find in this breadsheet or a database. It's it's about meaning meaning okay, and relationships just between what between things? Ok? It's about like, can give me like a simple analogy?
Speaker 2: Sure, imagine a family tree. It's not just a list of names, right right, It shows how those people are related. So you have different categories like parents and children, which we call classes in ontology terms.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 2: And then you have characteristics like age or hair color, and we call those properties, and then each person in the tree is an individual.
Speaker 1: Okay, So an ontology lets us represent this kind of information, yes, in a way that a computer can understand and reason with and reason with. So instead of just seeing data points, yeah, the computer can actually understand that grandparent exactly is a meaningful category based on the relationships. That's pretty neat, Yeah it is.
Speaker 2: And this ability to capture meaning is really what makes ontologies powerful.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how does this owl ready to come into play?
Speaker 2: So a already too is like our toolkit for working with ontologies and Python, and it's surprisingly easy to use, really, even if you're not a Python xper.
Speaker 1: Ok.
Speaker 2: Lets us load existing ontologies, modify them, and even create entirely new ones from scratch.
Speaker 1: So it's our way to actually put these ontologies into action exact. Can you give me specific example?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Sure, The book uses this example of a bacteria ontology.
Speaker 1: Oka.
Speaker 2: It might sound simple, but it's a good illustration of how even a basic ontology can be powerful. So this ontology has classes like bacteria shape and grouping, and then it also has properties like gram positive to describe those bacteria, and then each specific type of bacteria is represented as an individual.
Speaker 1: So it's like we're creating like a digital fingerprint for each bacteria based on its characteristics exactly. Okay, And so this setup allows us to do some pretty cool things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like we could use this ontology to identify an unknown bacteria oh wow, based on its characteristics.
Speaker 1: So it's like we're giving a computer the ability to play bacterial detective.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we tell it the bacteria is Gram positive and Rod shaped, it can like use the ontology to narrow down the possibility exactly. That's pretty practical, it is, But.
Speaker 2: There's even more to it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: One of the really amazing things is this concept of reasoners.
Speaker 1: Reasoners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like superpowered logic engines.
Speaker 1: Okay, how do they work?
Speaker 2: So imagine you have a detective who's really good at connecting the dots. Okay, that's what a reasoner does for our ontology. It can automatically classify individuals, uncover hidden relationships that weren't explicitly stated, wow, and even flag inconsistencies in our knowledge base.
Speaker 1: So it's like the reasoner takes everything we've defined exactly and starts making logical deductions and revealing insights that we might not even considered precisely. That's powerful.
Speaker 2: It's what truly allows ontologies to go beyond simple data storage, okay, and become tools for knowledge representation.
Speaker 1: So are these reasoners built into OWL ready too?
Speaker 2: That's the beauty of it. It has built in support for popular reasoners like Hermity and Pellet, And.
Speaker 1: To be clear, those are separate programs.
Speaker 2: Yes, both Hermity and Pellet are Java programs, gotcha, So you'll need to have Java installed on your system to use them. But don't worry. Already two makes the setup pretty straightforward.
Speaker 1: Okay. So once we have those set up, how do we use them?
Speaker 2: It's surprisingly simple, okay. Already two has this function called sink reasoner. You just run that and it's like hitting the go button on our logic engine.
Speaker 1: And by default, Alurity two uses the Hermite reasoner that's right, okay.
Speaker 2: But if you want to use Pellet there are specific functions for that as well, so it gives.
Speaker 1: You the flexibility.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, no matter which one we choose, Already two provides a simple way to put them to work exactly. This is all starting to come.
Speaker 2: Together, it is, isn't it? Yeah, and as we dived, you'll see just how powerful this combination of ontologies already to and reasoners can be.
Speaker 1: Now, you mentioned something earlier about an open world assumption. Oh yeah, can you explain what that means?
Speaker 2: Sure? The open world assumption basically means that we acknowledge there might be information okay, that we don't know.
Speaker 1: So it's like saying, hey, we might be missing some pieces of a puzzle.
Speaker 2: It's like admitting that our knowledge is never truly complete, which contrasts with the closed world assumption, okay, where we assume that we know everything.
Speaker 1: God is to know. So this distinction is important, yes, very because it affects how the reasoners work exactly. Okay, So how does the open world assumption change the way they operate?
Speaker 2: Well? Under the open world assumption, a reasoner can't just assume something is false because it's not explicitly stated in the ontology. It has to consider the possibility that the information is simply missing.
Speaker 1: So it's a bit more cautious. Yes, it's knowing that there might be unknown factors at play. Exactly, That makes sense. So how does this work in practice?
Speaker 2: So already two has a function called close world that lets you temporarily close the world, either for specific parts of the ontology or for the whole thing.
Speaker 1: So we can basically tell the reasoner to focus on a particular area and treat it as if we have all the information. But why would we want to do that?
Speaker 2: Well, sometimes closing the world can be beneficial, Okay. It lets us make more specific deductions about a particular area of knowledge.
Speaker 1: So it's like saying, for this specific task, yeah, let's assume we have all the pieces of exactly puzzle.
Speaker 2: It can be helpful in situations where we need to make decisions Okay, based on a limited set of facts. Gotcha, But it's a trade off between precision and the ability to handle potential unknowns.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: It's like choosing the right tool for the job exactly. Now that we've laid the groundwork with reasoners and the open world assumption, yeah, let's dive into some of the things that we can actually do. Okay with these reasoners in OWL, ready to what.
Speaker 1: Kind of tasks can they help us with.
Speaker 2: One of the most common and useful applications is consistency checking.
Speaker 1: Okay, consistency check.
Speaker 2: It's like having a built in quality control system.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what exactly does consistency mean?
Speaker 2: So a consistent ontology is one where there are no logical contradictions. Okay, think of it this way. If you told me that squares are a type of circle, that would be a contradiction.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Reasoners can help us find these kind of errors in our ontologies before they cause problems.
Speaker 1: Ah. So it's like making sure all the pieces of our knowledge why framework fit together logically. I can see how that would be crucial. Yeah, especially if we're building complex systems based on this.
Speaker 2: Right, inconsistencies can lead to all sorts of unexpected and incorrect results.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've got consistency checking. Else.
Speaker 2: Another powerful application is automatic classification. Reasoners can automatically categorize individuals into the correct classes based on their properties and the relationships defined in the ontology.
Speaker 1: So it's like having their reasoner act as an expert librarian.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: Who can perfectly organize all the books based on their content and genre.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to our bacteria ontology. If we define a new bacteria with certain characteristics, the reason I can automatically figure out which class.
Speaker 1: It belongs to, saving us a lot of manual.
Speaker 2: Effort, exactly, And I imagine this becomes even more valuable as our ontology grows and becomes more complex.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we can use reasoners for consistency checking, automatic classification. What other tricks do they have?
Speaker 2: They can also help us uncover implicit relationships. Implicit relationships are explicitly stated in the ontology.
Speaker 1: Can you give me an example.
Speaker 2: Sure. Let's say our ontology describes family relationships. Okay, we know that John is the father of Mary and Mary is the mother of Peter.
Speaker 1: So we have two direct relationships.
Speaker 2: There, right, But there's an implied relationship that's not explicitly stated. John is the grandfather of Peter. Right. A reasoner can figure this out based on the existing information about parent child relationships.
Speaker 1: I see. So it's like the reasoner is filling in the gaps in our knowledge based on logical deductions.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: That's pretty impressive, it.
Speaker 2: Is, And this ability to uncover implicit relationships can be incredibly valuable in many real world scenarios. What imagine using this in a medical ontology to identify potential drug interactions, huh, or predict disease risks based on complex relationships between gene symptoms and treatments.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're giving the computer the ability to make connections. Yes, that might not be obvious to us.
Speaker 2: At first glance, precisely, and this is where the true power of ontologies and reasoners really shines. They help us move beyond simply storing data to actually understanding the knowledge that's encoded in that data.
Speaker 1: This is all fascinating, But before we get too carried away, I want to go back to something you mentioned earlier, annotations. Can you remind me what those are?
Speaker 2: Sure? So, think of annotations as extra information that we can attach to different parts of our ontology. They're like sticky notes that provide additional context, explanations, or even links to external resources.
Speaker 1: So they're like adding helpful notes to our knowledge map. Can you give me some examples.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, we can use them to provide easy to understand descriptions for complex terms, add comments or explanations for ourselves or other developers, keep track of where we got the information for a specific concept, link to relevant websites, research papers, or database, or even track different versions of the ontology.
Speaker 1: So it's all about adding more layers of meaning exactly, and making our ontology richer and more informative.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and already too, makes working with annotations really straightforward. You can add, access, and modify annotations using a simple syntax, just like you would with any other property.
Speaker 1: Now, you mentioned something about annotations being helpful for full text search. Yeah, can you explain how that works?
Speaker 2: So imagine you're searching for information within a vast library. Okay, the more detailed the index and cataloging system, the easier it is to find what you're looking for. Right, That's what annotations do for ontology.
Speaker 1: So the more annotations we add, the easier becomes to search exactly for specific information within our ontology.
Speaker 2: Precisely, search engines can index the text content of our annotations, making it much easier to find relevant concepts, even if they're buried deep within the ontology.
Speaker 1: So it's like providing extra keywords and clues to help the search engine understand and navigate our ontology.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this becomes especially important as our ontologies grow larger and more complex. Annotations help ensure that our knowledge remains accessible and discoverable.
Speaker 1: Now, shifting gears a bit, I'm curious about something you mentioned earlier. Okay, worlds an owlready two. This sounds almost like science fiction.
Speaker 2: It's not quite science fiction, but it's a powerful concept.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are they think of.
Speaker 2: A world as a self contained environment within owl ready to? Okay, it's like having a separate sandbox.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like this out of a sandbox. Yeah. It makes me feel like I can explore and experiment without breaking anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So why would we want to use these separate worlds?
Speaker 2: There are several reasons why worlds can be incredibly useful experimentation. You can test out different changes or additions to your ontology without worrying about messing up the main version and scenario analysis. You can create different worlds to model various hypothetical situations or explore different perspectives on the same data. Gotcha, data separation. If you're working with data from multiple sources or domains, you can keep them separate in different worlds for easier management.
Speaker 1: So it's like having different versions of our ontology exactly, and we can switch between or even merge together if needed.
Speaker 2: Precisely. It's a powerful way to manage complexity and explore different possibilities without risk.
Speaker 1: So how do we actually create and work with these worlds?
Speaker 2: Already too makes it quite intuitive.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: You use the world class to create and manage your world. It's like having a world building toolkit.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we can create these separate worlds. Yeah, but can we also interact with them? That's a great question, or even share information between them?
Speaker 2: So, while worlds are designed to be isolated environments okay, already too, does provide some mechanisms for communication between them.
Speaker 1: How would we go about transferring information between them?
Speaker 2: One way is to use the import from function. You can think of it like copying and pasting elements okay, from one world into another.
Speaker 1: So we can reuse parts of our ontology in different contexts or scenarios. Yeah, that's pretty handy. Are there any other ways?
Speaker 2: You can also work with RDF triples directly? Remember those are like the building blocks of ontologies already too. Lets you manipulate these triples which can be used to transfer information between worlds if you need more fine grain control.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we have a few different options for interworld communication. But is there anything we need to be cautious about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's important to remember that changes made in one world do not automatically affect the others.
Speaker 1: Ah, so if I make a change in my experimental world, it won't mess up the main world unless I explicitly those changes.
Speaker 2: Over precisely, each world maintains its own independent state.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's a powerful feature, but it's important to be aware of the separation when working with multiple worlds.
Speaker 1: This has been an incredible exploration of the capabilities of OWL. Ready to uh huh, I'm starting to feel like I can build and manipulate. That's great these ontologies with a lot more confidence.
Speaker 2: That's great to hear. And now that we have a good grasp of the fundamentals, I think it's time to move on to some real world applications.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready to see how these concepts are being used in practice.
Speaker 2: Great, let's start with a field that's near and dear to my heart, bioinformatics.
Speaker 1: Bioinformatics, Now that's a field where I can imagine ontologies. You're absolutely right being incredibly useful. There's so much complex data to organize and make sense of.
Speaker 2: And one of the most widely used ontologies in bioinformatics is the geneontology.
Speaker 1: Geneontology or go for sure go. I've definitely heard that term before, and I'm not entirely sure what it is of course.
Speaker 2: So the gene ontology is a hierarchical classification system that describes the functions of genes and proteins.
Speaker 1: So it's like a giant dictionary or encyclopedia. That's a great analogy for genes and proteins.
Speaker 2: GGO provides a standardized vocabulary and structure that helps us describe what genes and proteins do in a consistent way.
Speaker 1: But WEO is more than just a list of definitions.
Speaker 2: Right, How is it actually structured? GGO is organized into three main branches or some ontologies. Molecular function This branch focuses on what a gene product actually does at the molecular level, think of things like catalytic activity or binding. Biological process. This branch describes the larger processes or pathways that a gene product is involved in. Examples would be things like cell growth or signal transduction. And then cellular component. Okay, this branch describes where a gene product is located within a cell, like the nucleus or membrane.
Speaker 1: So it's like a three dimensional map.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: A gene and protein function.
Speaker 2: Joe provides a comprehensive framework for understanding how genes and proteins contribute to the complexity of life.
Speaker 1: This is fascinating, but how is this actually used in research?
Speaker 2: So, show go is used in a wide range of bioinformatics applications. For example, it can help us predict the function of genes that haven't been fully studied, analyze groups of genes that are activated in certain diseases or conditions, map genes and proteins to known biological pathways, or integrate data from various sources.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like JOE is a fundamental tool. It is for anyone working with gene and protein data. Yes, but where does already two fit into all of this?
Speaker 2: Already two has excellent support for JOE. You can easily load the entire gene ontology into already two as an ontology and then use all of the features we've discussed to analyze and explore the data.
Speaker 1: So we could use owl ready too to navigate the GROW hierarchy, yes, search for specific terms and even infer relationships between different GROW concepts.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it's like having a powerful search engine and analysis toolk specifically designed for working with GROW data.
Speaker 1: Can you give me a specific example of how they might be used together in research?
Speaker 2: Sure, let's talk about protein interactions.
Speaker 1: Proteins. They're like the tiny machinescisely that make.
Speaker 2: Life happen, and proteins rarely work in isolation. They interact with each other in complex ways to carry out their functions.
Speaker 1: So understanding these interactions is key to understanding how life.
Speaker 2: Works exactly, and GROW can help us with that.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Let's say we have a list of proteins that are known to interact. We can use ow already two to reach retrieve the grog terms associated with each protein, essentially annotating them with their functional roles.
Speaker 1: So we're giving each protein a label that tells us what it does.
Speaker 2: Right. Then we can use already two's reasoning capabilities okay to analyze those labels, looking for patterns or connections between the functions of the interacting proteins.
Speaker 1: Oh, so we might find that a group of interacting proteins is involved in the same biological process exactly, even if we didn't know that before.
Speaker 2: This kind of analysis can be incredibly valuable for generating hypotheses, understanding disease mechanisms, and even identifying potential drug targets.
Speaker 1: It shows how already two and Joe can be used to make sense of complex biological data.
Speaker 2: It's just one example of how ontologies are being used to advance our understanding of the complexities of life.
Speaker 1: That's right, we've only just scratched the surface of real world applications.
Speaker 2: Where should we explore next gears and talk about healthcare? Healthcare?
Speaker 1: I imagine ontologies could be really valuable for organizing and making sense of all the medical knowledge.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, healthcare is a field that's ripe for ontology driven solutions. Think about all the different terms and concepts and procedures in medicine. It's a complex web of information, and.
Speaker 1: With electronic health records becoming more common. Uh huh, there's an even greater need to standardize and make sense of all that data exactly.
Speaker 2: Ontologies can help us do just that. They can be used to create a structured representation of medical knowledge that can be understood by both humans and computers.
Speaker 1: So how are ontologies actually being used in healthcare today?
Speaker 2: So one area where ontologies are making a big impact is in electronic health records or EHRs.
Speaker 1: EHRs.
Speaker 2: Okay, they can help standardize the way patient information is recorded, making it easier to share data between different healthcare providers.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. It's like having a common language precise for health care data, so everyone's on the same page.
Speaker 2: And this can have a huge impact on patient care. For example, if a patient goes to a new doctor, Yeah, the doctor can quickly access their complete medical history from their EHR, even if it was created by a different healthcare provider.
Speaker 1: That could definitely help prevent misdiagnoses and ensure that patients get the right treatment exactly.
Speaker 2: Another area where ontologies are being used is in clinical Decisions support systems or cdss's. These systems help clinicians make more informed decisions about patient care.
Speaker 1: So how do ontologies fit into these systems.
Speaker 2: Ontologies can be used to encode medical guidelines and best practices. This allows cdssses to analyze patient data and provide clinicians with viance based recommendations.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a team of expert advisors.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to think about it.
Speaker 1: Working behind the scenes, Yeah, to help doctors make the best decisions.
Speaker 2: And this can be incredibly valuable for improving patient safety and outcomes.
Speaker 1: It seems like ontologies are already making a tangible difference in healthcare.
Speaker 2: They are, but healthcare isn't the only field where ontologies are making a difference.
Speaker 1: Are there any other fields where they're being used effectively?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, ontologies are finding applications in a wide range of domains, engineering and manufacturing to business and finance.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a pretty diverse range. Could you give me an example of how ontologies might be used in engineering? Sure?
Speaker 2: Think about the design and development of a complex product like an airplane. Okay, there are so many different components, systems and subsystems involved.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's critical that all those pieces work together flawlessly.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and ontologies can help engineers manage this complexity. They can be used to create a detailed model of the airplane, representing all its parts and how they interact.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a digital blueprint of the airplane decisely that captures all the engineering knowledge and relationships.
Speaker 2: And this model can be used for a variety of persons, from simulation and testing to maintenance and troubleshooting.
Speaker 1: I can see how that would be incredibly valuable for ensuring the safety and reliability of such a complex system.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, ontologies are also being used in manufacturing to optimize production processes, manage supply chains, and improve product quality.
Speaker 1: So they're helping to make engineering and manufacturing more efficient.
Speaker 2: And effective exactly. And these are just a few examples of how ontologies are being used in the real world. The possibilities are truly vast, and as the field of ontology engineering continues to evolve, we can expect to see even more innovative applications emerge in the years to come.
Speaker 1: This has been an incredible journey through the world of ontology has I feel like I've gained a whole new understanding of their power and potential.
Speaker 2: It's been a pleasure exploring these concepts with you.
Speaker 1: The pleasure's all might and I hope.
Speaker 2: You've found this dive into ontologies as fascinating as I have.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, so as we wrap up, what are some key takeaways that our listeners should keep in mind.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the most important takeaway is that ontologies are not just abstract concepts. They're practical tools that are already being used to solve real world problems and create innovative solutions in a wide range of domains.
Speaker 1: And we've seen examples of that in healthcare, bioinformatics, engineering, just to.
Speaker 2: Name a few exactly. Another key takeaway is that Already two is a powerful and accessible library. Yeah, that makes it easy to work with ontologies and Python.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Whether you're a researcher, developer, or just someone who's curious about ontologies, Already too provides a great starting point for exploring this fascinating field.
Speaker 1: So if you're intrigued by the possibilities of ontologies, don't be intimidated. Yeah, there are plenty of resources available to help you get started.
Speaker 2: I remember, ontologies are all about capturing and organizing knowledge, right, So whether you're working with medical data, engineering, designs, or even just trying to make sense of your own personal knowledge base, ontologies can provide a valuable framework for structuring and understanding information.
Speaker 1: This has been an incredible deep dive, and I want to thank you for sharing your expertise with us.
Speaker 2: It's been my pleasure, and to our listeners.
Speaker 1: I encourage you to keep exploring the world of ontologies. Yes, who knows, you might just discover the next groundbreaking application.
Speaker 2: You never know