Speaker 1: That it doesn't seem to be a shadow in the city, and all around people who can have bet are walking on the sidewalk.
Speaker 2: Cattle and a match there.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Aena, Welcome in to Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee and the crew. In fact, I guess I should go ahead and get this out of the way as we get the morning started. It's five o six here Kentucky and His Morning News. But I think we've been getting the name of the show wrong, or at least I have. I mean, Kentucky and His Morning News has been the name of this show for a long long time, and that's not really changing. But I've been saying Kentucky and His Morning News with Nick Coffee because I'm running, you know, running the show. But clearly there's there's a crew involved, a team here that you hear throughout the entire morning. And I was talking to some of our team yesterday in sales, and when they are pitching the show and selling it, they they are calling it Kentucky and His Morning News with Coffee and Company, which, for those who don't know, that was actually the name of my show when I was doing sports on seven ninety before I made the move here, which I think Coffee and Company is more fitting. But I don't know Kentucky and is morning News with Coffee and Company. It just seems like a lot of words for the name of a radio show. I gotta be honest with you, But I also feel like we should be aligned, we should be on the same page, and I think Kentucky in his Morning News is probably probably what most folks are are going to stick to, because again, that's what it's been for generations. No joke, although I do think and it Scott you may know this, but Wayne Perky was was in the seat here for for many many years? Was it? Was it the Morning Team?
Speaker 2: Maybe? Is that?
Speaker 1: Am I dreaming that thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: While I was here in post I came in in the Bob's Collar phase, and it was that that you worked with Milton Metz.
Speaker 1: Didn't you know. I'm kidding them. I feel like I said that like you were an old man. I didn't mean for it to come off that way. Yeah, you're way Perk YEA. Yeah, it was very towards the end of Wayne Perky, Right, I feel like I've been here that long.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's just no, I came in I think called it was after nine to eleven. I know that because I was not reducing I started part time here, and I believe two thousand and I was doing Saturdays and whatnot. But I think it's always been Kentucky INA's Morning News. Then they tried the morning team rewind Gosh, Saturdays. That didn't work out so well. So then we just call it Kentucky and a Saturday Morning News.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Well it's Kentucky and Morning News with coffee and company, because again, there's company here. It's it's Scott Fitzgerald, John Alden, who's not with us today but he'll be back next week. And then obviously John Shannon and then you guys who listen you you're you're I don't. But that's where it gets tricky because I don't want you to feel like company. I don't want you to feel like a guest. I want you to feel comfortable. I want you to feel like you're at home.
Speaker 2: Family.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well there is coffee though, there's a lot of coffee. That's true.
Speaker 1: It's true, there's a lot of a lot of coffee, just spell a little bit differently, which by the way this is. I'm probably getting a little too too much into the weeds here, but I wouldn't be surprised if those who just listened to radio casually it's just a brief part of their morning routine, or maybe if you listen periodic throughout the day or whatever it may be. You may not know that when it comes to sort of how how we are evaluated in this as far as ratings, and by the way, you wouldn't believe how archaic the process actually is as far as like sending out mail to random people and asking if they'll volunteered to fill out a journal, like that's how it's so there's in fact, there's really no way to know for certain. However, the digital world does give you the ability to have a good traction of who's who's listening via stream. But what I'm getting at is people do get one of those journals and they fill it out. I could be wrong here. The station they listen to certainly is important, but also there's certain things that that like there's I don't know how many get, but you get like four or five different things. Maybe that can be quite like some people may just say a name of a host and that, and that that's clearly a sign that that's what they listen to. But you know, long story short, what I'm getting at is if you don't have a consistent way of labeling and resetting what your show is and branding it essent, then you may people may put something down in the journal that wouldn't necessarily give you credit. Which again I don't know if there's anything more older as far as just not modern in any way as far as the process than how our market because we're not a I think it's called a PPM market's where you can't actually they'll pick up on like the actual signal. There's like a radar signal thing essentially where people will wear like a pager like it's nineteen ninety three, and that pager will will show in fact which radio signals are being picked up. So anyways, I'm nerding out too much on things you guys probably don't care about. But again, if you hear me mention the name of the show being Kentucky in This Morning News, that's what it's been for a long time and that's not changing. But if you're Coffee and Company, it's just because I'm trying to get some consistency in that way. You know, people know it's Coffee and Company, so coffee is right, yes, right now. I'm sure there's many of you make it a cup of coffee or maybe enjoying your first cup right now, So stick with us. We've got you for the rest of the morning, and certainly a lot to get into. I'm I'm I'm hope and that the weather doesn't play out on Saturday tomorrow like it's looking because that would be very unfortunate for the ESCO Championship, which is off to a good start yesterday. I'm sure we'll talk about that throughout the day today. Also JCPS, I mean, I hate to say that I'm not surprised at all, but they they've got some plans in place to try to hire teachers very quickly because they've got a big, big shortage. And also something else I want to get to here early in the morning, there is a nine one one operator who has a story that I just I want to use the platform here to share it because it's almost like something you see in a movie. So we'll get into that in a lot more. It is Kentucky in this morning news with Coffee and Company, right here our news radio forty WHS. It is five point seventeen here in Kentucky and this morning News with Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty WHAS Nick Coffee with you, Scott Fitzgerald alongside. We'll have an update on sports coming your way in about ten minutes. Also, we'll get John Shannon's first newscaster for the More around five thirty. And if you want to listen and take us with you wherever you go, you can do that on the Aheart radio app. Also you can listen live at whas dot com. So JCPS, we talked a lot about them earlier this week, just because I am rooting for the new JCPS superintendent, who is taking on a job that is very, very important. But it's got to be one of those jobs where if you don't, if you don't try to find, if you don't try to embrace the small victories, I don't know how you wouldn't feel just overwhelmed with just no matter what you do, you're going to face criticism and there's going to be things that you walk into that are still going to be an issue that you had nothing to do with. And it'd be unrealistic to just think this guy shows up and automatically every issue that JCPS ever had was just removed. It's no longer an issue anymore. So that's not realistic. And I'm sure anybody who's in the position to pursue this job JCPS superintendent one, the money's got to make it really worth it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I also think, and maybe I'm naive, that there are people that choose to work in education rather be at administrator level or a teacher, that they got into it because they did want to impact young people and be involved in the education system. But nonetheless, I just this is one of those jobs that I just think about when I think about j CBS and the superintendent position, because obviously Marty Poyo has been in that spot for quite some time, and certainly some criticism was fair at times, but I also feel like the guy could never win, and that's kind of what always sticks with me when I think of just what that position would be. So again, it's very important, and I'm sure you're compensated very well, but it's probably for good reason. So anyhow, the transportation issue that they've had for years, that'll be I think what folks are focusing on more than anything day one, and even if you don't even have kids in the school system, where you don't work in the school system at all, and you're just the JCPS resident, well, one of your tax dollars of course are at play here, but also because of how bad it's been at times, it's almost become, dare I say, like a car wreck. People are going to be interested. They just want to They just want to see and hear. I mean, I hate to say this, but I've spent more time than I probably should looking at the comment sections on Facebook when JCPS posts anything they do about a correct just basically trying to apologize for transportation issues or even the decision to cancel school because of snow, because people just lose their mind about anything. No matter what you do, you're going to face a level of toxicity and criticism, which I just want to remind folks as much as I can, those are not easy decisions to make, and if you were in the position that they were in, you would have to know that no matter and this is where I do think you can put yourself in the shoes of those people and just realize that no matter what you do, you're going to make a certain amount of people mad and they're going to yell at you about it, and that's just the nature of what it is. So anyhow, another issue they're dealing with. It's not just the transportation, and maybe transportation is no longer an issue after this year, but I'll I'll believe that when I see it. But as they're just weeks away for the first day of school, they've got a real big time staffing crisis with over three hundred and sixty classroom teacher vacancies and more than fifty other certified roles that have gone unfilled. So that's that's a big number and right now they are trying to fill those positions as best they can. They've got an apprenticeship program that it's going to allow JCPS high schoolers to earn college credits through u of L. So that's just a way in which I guess they're not needing teachers quite as much. And then also they're going to have a hiring event that is coming up today actually it is. Yeah, it's from ten am to two pm and it's going to be at the Center for Professional Learning Complex that's on Atkinson Square Drive. So if you have the ability I mean again, I feel like if you're I don't think it's to me. This is telling And maybe I'm wrong here. When I think of job fair, I don't typically think of a job fair being for people who are you know, actual tea features that that just job fair. I feel like it's more of you know, potential, good opportunities. But I think a job fair just tells you just how much they need people to come in and if you have the ability meeting, you're qualified, they need you in a big way. All right, let's get to another update on traffic and whether Bobby Ellis will give us the latest when it comes to how the roads are looking. Some stalled vehicles early, which is kind of rare at this time of the morning. Also, we get an update for Matt Melosavitch on the forecast, and of course Scott Fitzgerial with an update on sports right here on news radio eight forty whas.
Speaker 3: I'm John Shannon, News Radio eight forty Wahas.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is six. I'm sorry, no, five thirty five. I'm getting ahead of myself. It is Friday. I'm ready for the weekend, and I'm sure a lot of you guys are as well. But again I'm early. It's only five thirty six actually now here at news Radio eight forty whas coffee and Company with you, and I've got WKHY here on my TV right in front of us. They are are news partners and they do a great job, and I now they're a part of my routine every morning four point thirty there on, and then they stay on here and on our monitor throughout the throughout the morning for me. But they're showing the view of the of the of the roadways, giving you a look at traffic, and so far it looks to be pretty pretty smooth, and Bobby Ellis has kind of confirmed that throughout the morning thus far, and certainly you can find out if that change is coming up here in about three minutes. However, it reminded me of something yesterday that made me feel very stupid. And I may not be wise in admitting this, but at times I really think, man, you are You're a special kind of stupid. We don't think we all have moments where we maybe realize, wow, I should have known that, or where have I been? Have I've been living under a rock And yesterday my wife and I were driving to dinner and we were on the Gen Snyder and I noticed a bunch of trash bags on the side of the road. Just I mean it was, I mean, it was impossible not to notice it. It was just as if as if a garbage truck somehow flipped over and trash bags were scattered for miles and I'm I'm thinking what could have happened? And my wife, she in her sarcastic way, asked me, are you being serious? And I'm like, yeah, do you see all these trash bags? And somehow I have never noticed that, Like that's a thing meaning whenever, whenever you yeah, yeah, And I'm thinking, is she messing with me? Is there, like you know what's going on? But yes, the people who do either volunteer or maybe they are inmates that are going through work release or doing their community service or whatever it may be. Those that the workers that walk the roadside collecting litter, they fill trash bags and it makes total sense. But I don't know how I've never noticed that before, and I thought she was she was messing with me, and sure enough, like yeah, it makes total sense that the people that are bringing either inmates or or even volunteers. They wouldn't be equipped to and certainly wouldn't be expected to just put all the trash in their vehicle, right.
Speaker 3: Just lift it up in the back of a big up and well, it's always funny along those lines. What happens usually about two weeks before Derby, there's that stretch of the waters and right before I believe Newburgh suddenly plans get planted and mulch goes in. It's they try to beautify it, and then as soon as everybody leaves for Derby, everything dries up and it goes back to being dingy. Oh yeah, you see the trash back.
Speaker 1: That's one of the first early signs that Derby is getting close is that we start cutting the grass around here. You don't have a you know, the median with grass as tall as Shaquille O'Neal. You no longer see the ninety seven blazer that's just been occupying occupying space on the green Belt Highway for seven months. Those there seems to be some real attention to detail whenever we've got people come into town, which I get it. I mean, it's if anything, we're consistent. So yeah, and thank you to those who either do it because they have to or they volunteer because it made me realize in I believe, just a day's time. I mean, maybe I just don't notice it again, I mean I went years without noticing it, but it almost seemed as if the majority of the trash bags that were out were from maybe a day or two of work. And that tells you just how much litter is out there.
Speaker 3: So have you ever had to pick up trash like that for a job or like a service project or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: One time it was a fundraiser for my high school basketball team. We did clean up at I believe it was the State Fair and luckily we didn't have to mean we were one of many programs that I guess do it as far as fundraising for your sports program and whatnot, and I believe it was one of the bigger money makers for us at that time. But you didn't know where you were going to be assigned to clean up, and we ended up I think having to clean up. It was old Cardinals Stadium where the free concerts used to be before they tore it down, and that wasn't that bad, but there was another school there that we realized it could have been us. They were in charge of cleaning up like where all the animals were. Oh and it wasn't just nothing. I mean a lot of that stuff's cleared out, but there's remnants of what ten days is it of just different animals leaving. Sure, I mean yeah that would so it could have been worse, but yeah, that it makes you realize just how you know, if you're not looking to clean stuff up, you're not looking for litter or just anything that's just been thrown around as trash, you don't really notice it. But when you pick up trash, if you've ever done it, and I don't know if you have or not, Scott, it'll make you realize just how much people litter.
Speaker 3: Well, my parents used to do it a side house on My dad and my stepmom used to do it because they never held a real job, and they would we didn't realize it at the time, but they would employ us kids to go out and help them. And I just remember, like, you go out and pick up around construction sites and whatnot. Who's the worst thing ever, dude, even in the summer. I mean, you're just sweating and you're picking up trash and.
Speaker 1: Oh and you probably found stuff that you just can't believe is why would this be here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: You're out in some remote field somewhere, and like, who actually was out here to leave this?
Speaker 1: Yep? And then your mind can go in a lot of directions as far as trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together because it doesn't make sense, right, why would this be here?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 2: Yikes?
Speaker 1: All right, We've got Roriy O'Neil coming up here in about four minutes. Also, we'll get another update on sports to wrap up the five o'clock hour, and at some point we got to talk about Kroger. I'm not here to pick on Kroger, but this storyline, I mean, this has been in the news for easily a month, I believe, as far as just their locations that are popping up with new issues with rodent droppings or locations that have already had it, and then they get it corrected and then it reappears. It's I mean, it's not a good look, to say the least. And I feel for them because this is this is bad and it's the fact that this has been in the news cycle this long is pretty pretty damaging. I think to them all right, let's get a quick break. We've got traffic and weather updates coming out. I have forty six here Kentucky, INA's Morning News, Coffee and Company on news Radio eight forty whas it's time to bring in Rory O'Neal of NBC News and Rory, we found out yesterday the suspensions that we're going to be in place for those in the Secret Service that were held accountable for I guess, just not doing their job when it comes to the assassination attempt of Donald Trump. But the shooter, Thomas Crooks. I could be wrong here, but I feel like if you'd ha told most people that we'd be this far removed from that situation and have such little info as far as the motive and just just about the individual, I think most would would have been surprised. What do we know about this individual? And of course maybe what a potential motive would have been.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, we never did get to that motive, I think, and I think that's been frustrating for a lot of people. Obviously. But the six Secret Service agents who were suspended, one of them was actually with I guess we'll call him candidate Trump's detail. The other five were assigned to the local field office in the Pittsburgh area, and essentially they were suspended because of the way they set up the event, especially with the lack of communication between local law enforcement and the Secret Service agents who were there on the ground. You know, plenty of people had seen croaks on that rooftop reported it to local police, but local police had a heck of a time try to get that information relayed to the Secret Service, and specifically the sniper who was supposed to be taken him out in advance, but the sniper wasn't able to open fire until after President Trump had been shot and one audience member killed and two others wounded.
Speaker 1: Typically, when these when these things happen, when the when, when the perpetrator is no longer alive, you do you find people wanting to know more about the family and connections and whatnot. And it seems very quiet on that front as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he was a bit of a loaner, was the description that we got, and you know, his motivation and all this as so whether or not he had this deep hatred for President Trump, was he trying to put some other message out there with this. There was no manifesto left behind or something that would possibly explain why he did this, why he chose this event in Butler, you know, his political view still really are unknown.
Speaker 1: Roy On Neil the NBC News is our guest joining us here on News Radio eight forty whas So, when it comes to the Big Beautiful Bill, I heard a lot of noise in regards to how this would be bad for those that gamble, especially those that gamble on sports. It's become legal here in Kentucky in the last couple of years and certainly been a big boom. And then I've also heard some say, well, hey, chill out, not a big deal. It's really only if you are someone that might be trying to make a living gambling, what can you tell us about it?
Speaker 2: That's pretty much what it boils down to. The casual gambler probably won't notice this, but the rules are changing. Used to be that you would deduct your losses at one hundred percent versus your winning. So let's say you won one hundred thousand dollars, but you also lost one hundred thousand dollars during a year of gambling. Well, okay, you'd walk away square. Well, now the irs says, or we'll say starting in January, you can only deduct ninety percent of your losses. So now if you win one hundred thousand dollars and you lose ninety one hundred thousand dollars, you can you have to because it's only ninety percent can be deducted. That means you have to pay taxes on that ten thousand dollars difference. Yeah, that is That's why they're saying a lot of people could really be hurt on this and with their professional gambling.
Speaker 1: And I think even if you're somebody that doesn't necessarily rely on it, but it's something that you that you do frequently for entertainment, you may have a big hit like that. I know some that have had a similar winning in that range, which of course is rare. But I know you've got to pay taxes on it. That certainly impacts the amount of money that you're going to bring home. Uncle Sam's going to get his cut. What do we know about what this means for the books in the casinos themselves, any reaction to this beautiful, big, beautiful bill about how it could either benefit them or hurt them.
Speaker 2: Well, they've already got a good lobbying group trying to change the wording to this, but the big beautiful law also needs the money. This change by reducing what you can deduct from your losses from one hundred percent down to ninety percent, sounds like nothing right, But it's going to generate a billion dollars over ten years in new tax revenue, so that's not nothing right. So that's why they're saying that this could really impact it, mostly again the professional gambler types. Someone made the analogy that if you're a high roller, a professional who wins three million dollars but loses two point eight million dollars a year would have earned two hundred thousand dollars, but he's going to be taxed on four hundred and eighty thousand dollars based on that ninety percent change in what you can do for losses. So you can see how it really could add up to a hefty tax bill. The concern is that a lot of this action then moves offshore with casinos or betting systems based in other countries, and that can get a little shady too.
Speaker 1: Sure, no doubt, Rory, you are the best. Have a good weekend, my friend. We'll talk soon. Fact Nick, alright again, that's Roy and Neil of NBC News. Stick with us. It's Kentucky at his morning news with coffee and company on news Radio eight forty whas