Speaker 1: Imagine getting paid to find like the digital version of an unlocked door, not to break in, but just to point it out so the owner can fix it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's pretty much the gist of ethical hacking and bug bounties.
Speaker 1: It's this really fascinating world where you can sharpen your cybersecurity skills and well maybe even earn some serious rewards.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and it's a field that's constantly changing, always needing shirt people to spot those weaknesses that crop up with new tech companies. See the value in.
Speaker 1: It definitely, and that's exactly what we're diving into today. On the deep Dive. We got some great source material from a listener, excerpts from bug Bounty from Scratch by Francisco Javier Santiago Vasquez.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that sounds useful.
Speaker 1: It really looks like it seems perfect for anyone curious about this or you know, maybe already in it but wanted to sharpen their game.
Speaker 2: Right and looking at the author, Francisco Oscrez, he's got real hands on experience red teaming pen testing across different industries. That counts for a lot.
Speaker 1: It does. Plus, the book's got endorsements from people like Muhammad Hadji, big name in bug bounties, and doctor Shifah Cyklwala, another cybersecurity leader, add some weight, doesn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely suggests it's a credible resource.
Speaker 1: So our mission today is basically to pull out the essential stuff about bug bounties from this book. What they are, how they actually work, the kind of skills and tools you need, and.
Speaker 2: Some of the core techniques bug hunters use.
Speaker 1: Right exactly. Think of this is like your shortcut to understanding the basics without getting totally bogged down in detail.
Speaker 2: Sounds good, Let's get into it, Okay.
Speaker 1: So let's kick things off. What is a bug bounty in simple terms?
Speaker 2: Okay? Essentially, it's when a company puts out an open invitation. They're basically saying, hey, find security flaws in our systems, tell us about them, responsibly.
Speaker 1: Follow our rules, and we'll reward you exactly.
Speaker 2: And that reward it can be cash, sometimes small, sometimes pretty substantial, depending on how critical the bug is, or it might be public recognition like getting your on a hall of fame.
Speaker 1: Okay, but how do these companies actually connect with the hackers, the researchers looking for these bugs. It's not like the post job ads, is it No?
Speaker 2: Not? Usually that's where bug bounty platforms come in. Think of them as middlemen, like brokers sort of platforms like hacker one, bug Craft, they're big ones. They connect the companies running these programs with the security researchers. So researchers sign up, find programs that fit their skills and get hunting right.
Speaker 1: So a company lists their program on hacker one, for instance, how does it actually work? Then? What are the steps?
Speaker 2: Well, the company first sets out the rules, the terms of engagement. This includes what kinds of vulnerabilities they care about, which systems are in scope that's crucial, what you're allowed.
Speaker 1: To test, and what you're not allowed to touch precisely.
Speaker 2: And they'll also list the rewards for different bug severities. Then the researchers get to work. If they find something valid and it's within that defined scope, they write up a report yes submitted to the platform. The company's security team reviews it. If they agree it's a real in scope vulnerability, the researcher gets the reward.
Speaker 1: Okay, are all these programs pretty much the same or do they vary? Oh?
Speaker 2: They vary quite a bit. Some are really specific, like focusing only on their mobile app, maybe an Android or iOS app, or just one specific API, while others are broader exactly, some might cover a much wider range of their digital assets. And then there's a difference between public and private programs.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, what's that.
Speaker 2: Public programs are open to basically anyone registered on the platform. Private ones, though, are invitation only. Usually you get invited based on your track record, your reputation on the platform.
Speaker 1: So proving yourself in public programs can lead to private.
Speaker 2: Invites potentially, Yes. And one more type, Vulnerability disclosure programs or vdps. They're similar. They want you to report vulnerabilities, but they typically offer recognition, maybe some swag, but not usually cash rewards.
Speaker 1: Got it? So? Okay, someone's listening, Maybe they have some tech background and they're thinking, hmm, this sounds interesting. What kind of foundational knowledge is really needed to even start thinking about this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the book really stresses having a basic grasp of core computer science concepts, things like networking fundamentals, how systems generally work.
Speaker 1: You don't need to be an expert pen tester.
Speaker 2: From day one, no, not at all, but having that solid base helps you understand how things are built, which then helps you figure out where they might be weak.
Speaker 1: You know, right, makes sense. So you've got that foundation. You go onto one of these platforms and there are maybe hundreds of programs. How do you even pick where to start?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. It's strategic. The book suggests looking at a few things. First, does the program focus align with your skills? If you know web apps, well, maybe start there.
Speaker 1: Play to your strengths exactly.
Speaker 2: Second, and this is super important, you have to understand the program's scope, what domains What apps are okay to test, what's exc implicitly forbidden.
Speaker 1: The book mentioned some examples right from hacker own, Snapchat, and Visa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are good examples because they show the contrast. Snapchat apparently gives a really detailed list of what's in scope. Visa's example in the book is more about illustrating the reward structure. You know, how much they might pay for different types of flaws.
Speaker 1: And getting that scope wrong is bad news, very bad news.
Speaker 2: Testing things that are explicitly out of scope can land you in serious legal trouble. It's not worth the risk.
Speaker 1: Definitely not so scope skills what else? Rewards must play a part?
Speaker 2: Oh for sure? I mean learning is great, the challenge is fun, but let's be honest, the potential payout is a big motivator for many people. Looking at the reward tiers can help you decide where to invest your time. Makes sense, But beyond the practical stuff, the book really hammers home the ethical side. The whole idea is think like a bad guy, but don't be one. Right to the rules, Absolutely, follow the program rules, strictly, test ethically. Don't cause disruption, that's non negotiable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're helping them, not hurting them. Okay. The book also mentioned identifying critical systems. Why is that important for a bug hunter?
Speaker 2: Well, think about it. If you understand what a company considers its crown jewels, maybe their main customer database, or the payment system, or how users log in the really sensitive stuff exactly, focusing your efforts there means finding a vulnerability could have a much bigger impact, And the book points out breaches in those areas cause huge reputational damage, maybe lose customers, cost a lot of money.
Speaker 1: So finding bugs and critical systems is generally more valuable.
Speaker 2: Usually, yes, and often those findings carry higher rewards too.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is great, We've covered the basics, how programs work, prep ethics. Now that really hands on part. What tools and techniques do bug hunters actually use? This is where it gets exciting for someone wanting to try this.
Speaker 2: Right the practical side, The book breaks down the tools quite nicely. First up, information gathering, This is key.
Speaker 1: What kind of tools.
Speaker 2: Tools like sublister a mass, DNA s dumpster, subfinder, aquatone. These are mainly for finding subdomains, discovering all the different web addresses associated with a company.
Speaker 1: Like finding hidden doors and windows.
Speaker 2: Kind of Yeah, it increases the potential area you can test. Then you have standard stuff like who's lookups for domain ownership info and DNS tools like en slok up or dig okay.
Speaker 1: So mapping out the territory first, what about testing web applications?
Speaker 2: Specifically for web stuff. Burps suite is pretty much the standard. It's mentioned repeatedly as essential. It lets you like intercept web traffic, mess with it, analyze requests, automate tests. It's powerful, the go to tool for web hunters largely yes. The book also mentions wp scan, which is specifically for WordPress sites, finding known vulnerabilities there, and der search which helps find hidden folders and files on a web server.
Speaker 1: What if you need to look deeper at the network.
Speaker 2: Level, then NMP is your friend. Often called the King of Network scan. It finds live computers, checks for open ports, tries to identify what services are running on those ports, even guesses the operating system sometimes.
Speaker 1: So NMAP maps the network itself. And if you think you found something a potential vulnerability.
Speaker 2: That's where something like exploit dB comes in handy. It's a big public database of known vulnerabilities and crucially exploit code or proof of concepts showing how they can be triggered.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you can see how a theoretical vulnerability actually works in practice exactly.
Speaker 2: Understanding the exploit helps you confirm and report the issue effectively. The book also touches on ossent open source intelligence.
Speaker 1: Using publicly available info.
Speaker 2: Right tools like multago or showdand can help gather that and even simple things like clever Google searches Google dorks. The book gives examples like searching and title index of password dot txt.
Speaker 1: Wow, finding password files just.
Speaker 2: With Google sometimes or intex dot username, intex dot password. It's surprising what gets left exposed sometimes due to simple mistakes.
Speaker 1: That really highlights how basic errors can create openings. Okay, so those are some tools. What about the actual techniques for finding bugs?
Speaker 2: Well, reconnaissance is the foundation, Like we said, gathering info, identifying services, running, maybe doing initial automated scans to see if any low hanging fruit pops up.
Speaker 1: You can lay the land definitely.
Speaker 2: Then the book talks about exploring human errors.
Speaker 1: This can be really effective Tawso like.
Speaker 2: Checking the robots dot txt file on a website. It tells search engines what not to index, but sometimes it points directly to admin pages or sensitive areas developers didn't want public.
Speaker 1: Huh, telling people where the hidden stuff is.
Speaker 2: Ironically yeah. Also, using the Wayback Machine the Internet archive, you can look at old versions of websites. The book mentions an example where someone found deleted resources on packed Pubs site. This way old info might still be relevant or expose something.
Speaker 1: It's clever using web history for security.
Speaker 2: It can be also just looking for general information leaks, maybe databases left open, credentials and so code comments.
Speaker 1: Right. What other techniques?
Speaker 2: Subdomain takeover is another interesting one. Sometimes a company stops using a subdomain, but the DNS record still points to a third party service if that service allows you to claim unused names. You might be able to take over the.
Speaker 1: Subdomain and then potentially misuse it.
Speaker 2: Potentially, yes, which is why it's a vulnerability. Also, checking GitHub repositories is common now, looking for apikeys, passwords, or just badly configured code accidentally pushed.
Speaker 1: Publicly developers leaving secrets in the code happens all the time.
Speaker 2: I bet more often than you'd think. Local file inclusion or LFI is another classic web vulnerability, basically tricking the server into letting you read files It shouldn't like configuration files.
Speaker 1: It sounds like a mix of technical skill and being really observant looking for those small mistakes.
Speaker 2: That's a huge part of it. The book also mentions things like deeper enumeration, trying to find lists of directories, files, even usernames, and analyzing.
Speaker 1: Jobascript file that was a script. Why is that important?
Speaker 2: Because they often get overlooked, but they can contain hints about atis, internal URLs, other interesting bits of information. Sometimes the code is obfuscated made hard to read, but tools like beautifier or defogs can help decode it.
Speaker 1: Ah, so hidden clues within the script itself interesting.
Speaker 2: Definitely worth digging into and Finally, file upload vulnerabilities. Can someone upload malicious file like a webshow or maybe just a huge file to crash the server? That's another area to test. The book even circles back to Google dorking, like finding WordPress login pages, which could then be a target for trying to guess passwords like brute forcing. Exactly that could be the next step.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, lots of tools, lots of techniques. So let's say you use these, you follow the rules, and you find something. Okay, real vulnerability. What's next? You can't just like post it on Twitter? Right?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. Responsible disclosure is key. The book really emphasizes submitting a high quality report back through the platform.
Speaker 1: What makes a report high quality.
Speaker 2: Clarity is crucial. You need to explain what you found, why it's a security risk, the potential impact. You need to provide a clear proof of concept or.
Speaker 1: PC like step by step instructions.
Speaker 2: Exactly show them exactly how to reproduce the vulnerability you found, and ideally maybe suggest how they could fix it.
Speaker 1: And do this ethically. Right, don't grab more data than you need to prove the point.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, stay within the program's rules. Respect privacy, only access what's necessary. To demonstrate the flaw.
Speaker 1: And then if all goes well, comes the reward.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, Yes, The rewards vary a lot, Like we said, depends on the company, the platform, and especially the severity and impact of the bug you found. Critical flaws usually pay the most.
Speaker 1: It feels like this whole area must be changing constantly, new bugs found, new defenses built, new attack techniques. How do people keep up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, continuous learning is just essential. You can't learn this once and be done. The booklists a bunch of resources like what Well. Getting securities certifications can help structure your learning. Improve skills. Things like cech oscp gpamos do are mentioned. Keeping an eye on exploit databases like exploitdb tells you about the latest discovered vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: So staying current on threats right.
Speaker 2: And actively using the tools we talked about experimenting Using security focused operating systems like Collie Linux or Parrot Security OS helps with that they come pre loaded with lots of tools.
Speaker 1: Sands on practice definitely.
Speaker 2: The book also suggests following good security blogs. Sam Curry's blog gets a mention. Using online training platforms is huge too. Hack the box, try hack me, Portswigger's web security Academy. They offer challenges and labs learning by doing exactly, and even YouTube channels hacker on TV, Live Overflow Ports, Swigger's channel. They often have great practical content.
Speaker 1: So it really is a commitment to ongoing learning. It's not static, not at all.
Speaker 2: The landscape shifts constantly.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's try and wrap this up then, Based on our deep dive into bug bound from scratch, what are the main takeaways for someone listening?
Speaker 2: Well? I think first, bug bounties are a really dynamic way to learn cybersecurity hands on. You test real systems, sharpen.
Speaker 1: Skills, you potentially get paid for it right.
Speaker 2: Second, ethics are paramount. It's ethical hacking, follow the rules, report responsibly. Third, preparation is key. Understand your skills, understand the program, scope, identify critical systems, don't just.
Speaker 1: Jump in blindly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fourth, you need the right tools and techniques reconnaissance, web testing, network scanning, knowing where to look for common flaws. And finally, communication matters, write clear, detailed reports.
Speaker 1: It definitely sounds challenging, but also yeah, potentially very rewarding. You're helping make things more secure exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a way to contribute positively while building your own expertise. Hopefully this chat gave you the listener a good overview without being too overwhelming. Maybe sparks some ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely so. If this did peak your interest, maybe how's the time to explore further, check out one of those platforms, Perhaps try a tool like endmap or burp suite on a test system, or read up on a technique like LFI.
Speaker 2: And maybe a final thought to leave you with. In a world that's so reliant on digital systems and where threats are everywhere, is this kind of ethical hacking, this bug bounty approach actually becoming one of the most crucial ways we defend ourselves collectively.
Speaker 1: That a really interesting question to ponder. Is it becoming essential food for thought? Okay, thanks for joining us on this deep dive. We'll catch you on the next one.