Speaker 1: Celebrating American independence and like recognize the sacrifices to the people who made for us. Happy fourth or July fifty five KRZ the talk station.
Speaker 2: ATO five, a fifty five KRCD talk station, A very happy Independence Day.
Speaker 3: Eve.
Speaker 2: Hope you got some nice plan set out for this celebration, and I hope you're celebrating the independence of our country. And I'm fully appreciative of the direction that seems to be going. But one of the great things we do have in our country are folks that willing to step up to the plate, engage in charity, help other people that are truly on life's margins. And you know, sometimes they have a religious mission behind that effort. Sometimes it's a simple altruism. But we've got a combination of both here in studio, Sam Jasper and Brian Ibol. You know, he's got to remember Brian, he's the original creator of and founder of a charity on the West Side called the Help Squad, And I will recommend you stop by the website The Help Squad Sincy with a y dot com and their Christian faith based mission five on one to three c helping struggling working families on the west Side. Brian, you've been on the and Sam both being on the program a few times, and I just want you to give my listeners a reminder about, first off, what you do and the type of services you offer, and we'll get an update on some of the great things you've been able to do for some folks who've gotten your assistance, and we'll talk about an upcoming fundraiser event we're going to be doing. So somebody take the floor and talk about you're the creator of it, You're behind it, Brian Ibold, What was the impetus behind starting this out and how many years you've been around now?
Speaker 1: So first of all, thanks for having us back out. Last time I was here, I was a little anxiety ridden, so I have broken my prozacts in half. This time I'm much calmer time, so thank you for having us back. So, first of all, we have been around about four years, so I retired from the police department in twenty twenty. We were established in twenty twenty one. But I think the first thing we need to do is just to figure out exactly what is the health squad, what do we do, and so just to give the listeners an idea. So the Help Squad is a Christian based to five oh one C three nonprofit organization and we assist financially struggling families focusing on single moms and dads on the west side of town. Only. It's just restricted to the.
Speaker 2: West side as a Bran Jivia Colerain Dell High in Green Townships.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, that's the only side we can do. This is the west side right now. Our vision, of course, is to expand this everywhere. I have a Help Squad, nor would Help Squad, Blue Ash, Help Squad Westchester. But that's a vision and with the Lord's blessing, we'll get there. But not there just yet.
Speaker 2: No, I understand that. And I'm honestly, being a west Side born and raised a young person, I'm glad you're looking out for the folks on the west side. I'm not sure where the allocation of resources are, but I would imagine probably more heavily concentrated in the city or unless you're working with something like the United Way and dealing with the bureaucracy associated with that. So you're kind of a horse of a different color when it comes to charitable organizations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know, one of the toughest things we deal with is the majority of the people that ask for our help they don't live in the four service areas. So that just goes to show you that there are plenty of areas that other people need help that we can't help. So if anybody on the east side, west side, or I'm sorry, east side and north side, south side, anywhere that want to step up and create a help squad in their neighborhood, give me a call, give you my number, or over the air. I don't care. But because we need, we need help, and we need our vision is to have this in every neighborhood, not just on the west side of town.
Speaker 2: And you can provide guidance to that newly started out organization, like what it's like to go from an inception to actually, we've already done the hard work, we're already established. So the template is there. Take on his challenge, get on the help out squad in your neighborhood. Wake up, let's do it all right. So services you offer for the people you serve so well, we do, okay.
Speaker 1: So you have a lot of nonprofits to do the basics, and they're great. The Food Clothing Shelter However, we take it to another step where we will assist people with utility shut offs. Let's say your water, your electric shot off, We'll turn it back on, or we'll prevent it from being shut off. Car repairs, that's a big one. I'll get somebody with a car repair. Can't afford it, We'll fix it. We've gifted cars. I bet we've given almost a dozen cars away to people in desperate need and dire need of transportation. We pay back rents to avoid eviction. Do you know have families we have prevented from being thrown on the street and because we save them from eviction? How many? Well, I mean just this year alone, what are we in half of this month, we're probably in I'd say forty families from eviction, no kids only the half of the year something like that might be more. And then if you take the families and help many kids, and what are with it? This is hundreds of people from being thrown on the street, is what we're going. So I don't see how like people are not calling us, like politicians people in charge and saying, hey, you have a great idea. How do we get involved? How do we help? Because you guys are doing it right. So my phones are here, I'm waiting for or to ring. Like I said, I'll give you my number if you want to go ahead and give it out. Go ahead, okay, if you want to do the Lord's work and you want to make a difference in the world, call this number five one three, six, seven eight eight nine eight six. It's my direct number. And we can together, we can do this and we can make this happen because we've all been told well, you can't do this and you can't do that, and it's always going to be like this. It doesn't have to be. And we're we're we're living proof of it.
Speaker 2: So and I you mentioned that you have gotten people cars. Obviously someone donates a car to you. Do you accept those contributions? I mean, film calls you up and say, hey, I got a car, runs fine, don't need it anymore, It's got one hundred thousand miles on it, but it runs great. I mean, will you pick that up or do you have a place where people drop that off? How do you work with that? Because you know, I'm thinking of like Saint Vincent de Paul. You know, they got trucks out there, they drive over to people's places, they get the furniture and they take it back and put it to the charitable cause.
Speaker 1: Do you operate on along a similar line, Yeah, so, answers real quick, I'll turn over to Sam. So yeah. So what we'll do is, so somebody wants to donate a car to us, we'll certainly take it, even if knees repair. So we have a company over in Green Township Broken Folds oil. Okay, they're on Bridge and the road right by Wardway Fuels. They give us ten thousand dollars a year. Matt Brogan gives us ten thousand dollars a year in free repairs. So if somebody wants to do he's a great he is a wonderful dude. If someone donates a car to us for you know, for free, or even if we buy a car for two grand, we take it there and get it fixed for free. For a two thousand dollars investment, we've just given somebody in dire need of transportation a very safe and dependable car. And we also usually pay the first three months of car insurance too to help the person out. So it's just really it's really good stuff, really good things. Man.
Speaker 2: Well, that's got to really make your day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very rewarding. Man.
Speaker 2: You help somebody keep their job, You help somebody keep a paycheck coming in, You help somebody that's able to continue to live on with their life. Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 1: Let me just if I can just give you this real example. I don't want to turn over saying because I want Sam to talk about a couple of things. But so I've been here before talking about the humanity. Humanitarian part of this, like help people, help people, help people. Okay, I don't know if it resonates with some people. Some of it does, some it doesn't. So I'm going to turn you over to money. Now. This will resonate to people because it's money. Everybody wants this money, money, money, money. So if you have a single mother who is working every day, the mother of three works every day, makes ends me. And that's the people we help, the working poor. Right, Okay, I was raised by a single mother. I know how these women struggle. I see this, I saw it, and I see it today, this single mother struggling. Her car breaks down. Brian, it's five hundred dollars to repair it. Now you have five hundred dollars I have five hundred dollars. Even if I didn't, none of us had, We could find five hundred dollars. We have friends, family, they have five hundred dollars. These people don't. They don't have five hundred dollars. Their parents don't have five hours, their friends won't have five hundred dollars. They don't have a credit card to put five hundred dollars on it. They can't get the car fixed. Mom can't get the car fixed, she can't get to work. Can't get to work, you don't have a paycheck, don't have a paycheck, don't pay your rent, and guess what, you're evicted, right, You're evicted. So there's a stat In twenty eighteen, eighty three thousand dollars is spent on a mother with to at least two single or two children. Single mom with two children in twenty eighteen eighty three grand a year. So when this mom who now because you can't get her car fix, is fired or as loser job, now she's on government assistance for eighty three thousand dollars for the year. If we just would have invested the five hundred dollars, we've just saved eight two five hundred dollars on this family alone. Okay, so if you want to give us a million dollars, we could save the government twenty million fifty million. So this has to resonate with somebody, like somebody should be calling like, wait, these guys are onto something. Let's help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's easy to do that. Your money is absolutely well spent. I've criticized some other major charitable organizations because of the massive overhead they have, the bureaucracy, the salaries that are paid, and that's certainly not the case with the Help Squad. So it's the help Squad. Since he with a Y dot org, can you throws some money their way and they will make the most of that money. And it's great illustration of the realities and the practical realities of the problem that these people you serve face. So let's help them keep their job, let's get their car running, let's help them with that back rent and get them back on their feet and so they can move forward. More. With Brian and Sam, we'll get some more stories and some other informations. It'll be Sam's turn to speak when we get back. Faus for a minute to be right back after these brief words.
Speaker 1: Fifty five car the talk station our iHeartRadio Music Festival.
Speaker 2: A nineteen thirty five KIRCD talk station from the Help Squad online at the Help Squad sincey with y dot com the Help Squad, since he dot Com, Sam Jasper and Brian Ibold. He's the founder of it and CREATI of it. He offered his phone number for anybody out there and beyond the West Side who's interested in opening their own chapter of the Help Squad to help people on life's margins in your community. You'd be happy to free to give MC call five one three six, seven, eight eight nine eighty six. Otherwise, get over to the website and learn about what they do. And you mentioned Brogan Folds the auto repair people, and what a wonderful thing donating ten thousand dollars worth of auto repairs to get those cars fixed for people to use. I imagine you're probably looking for some other community partners that can volunteer services along the same lines. Not necessarily an outright here's a check kind of thing, but hey, we do fill in the black, like carpentry projects or something. I know you've done some other projects like in people's home over the years as well, so.
Speaker 3: Right right, yeah, So we are looking for community partners like Matt Brogan at Brogan Foles. Such a great team out there, but we can't do this alone. We need community partners to step up. Whether it's auto repair, whether it's home repairs, whether it is also like AC units that's a big thing right now, air conditioning repair and heat and air those are all very important services. So anybody out there who owns a business who would be willing to donate services and their time for our families, that would be great. You could reach out to us through our website and just fill out the contact form. Brian just gave his phone number, so you can you could contact him directly website, yeah, or use the website probably the best option, and then we can reach back out to you. We would love to have you join our team, and we are trying to build that base, you know. And our volunteers have been so great, but a lot of our volunteers do still work, like I work full time and a lot of our volunteers do work, so we always need more volunteers to join the crew and that way we can you know, cover when people go on vacation and things like that and that really helps us so we can be efficient and effect helping people as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: Oh that's great. Yeah, so I understand.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've got some awards to prove that you're the real deal too. So an extent, someone's like, what's the help Squad? Never heard of them helps Squad sinceiwwy dot com. But what about some you've gotten some recent acknowledgments and awards for the work that you're doing.
Speaker 3: We have Yeah, I mean, well, we certainly don't do this, you know, for the recognition, but you know, it is very nice when people step up and say, hey, we see what you're doing, We see the kind of impact that you're making in the community and the families that you're helping. We have an organization that is called Since He Serves, and they're associated with the Cincinnati Open and Fifth Third Bank that's coming this summer in August with the tennis tournament, and they are awarding the Help Squad a fifty three hundred dollars grant.
Speaker 1: All nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're recognizing our organization for the work that we've been doing. So Brian's gonna receive that award, and I think that's on August fourteenth, so we'll be recognized during that Cincinnati open event.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, you know, word of mouth and it's just one more vehicle to get the word out about the organization. More people will find out about it, and hopefully more people will volunteer services, goods, and of course their time and money to support your cause and for the purpose of growing it. I imagine limited resources. Mean, there's maybe these are there people that you have to say no to so they are vetted. But the people that are vetted and that are deserving of help and need it and it's legitimate. If we have the funding, of course we will help them. And what I like to report is that all our funds have been given It's through people. It's not government. We don't get grants, it's people just give us the money to help other people. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: What a concept, right, But if the four years we've been around we have never had to turn someone down because of lack of lack of funds, is that amazing That that's God's gift right there? Then yeah, I'll hear that. That's try that well.
Speaker 3: And then we also partner with other organizations like the Five to one three relief Bus and we also were just recognized for our work with them. So the Commissioners of Hamilton County presented us with the five to one to three Enhancement Award for the work that we did bringing the five to one three bus to our community helping to connect families to services. So that was very nice to be recognized in that way.
Speaker 2: Wonderful recognition. So I understand, at least in terms of fundraising, you have the annual golf fundraiser coming up. It's August sixteenth. Let me listen to some details about this, so may may very well want to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So our golf event is going to be at Pebble Creek Golf Course over in Coleraine Township, and it's Saturday, August sixteenth. It's a seven am registration, so it's an early one in eight am T time. We'll have some Continental breakfasts and we'll have lunch and our awards right after the golf. But we are looking for golfers. We have VIP packages or you can just register as a foursome. We need donations, sponsors, We need sponsors, yeah, so we need tea sponsors, all types of different sponsorships levels and those are on our website as well. You can get registered for golf on the website. You can make a donation, you can do sponsorship, you can sign up as a volunteer. Again, we need those volunteers and so we'd love to have you come out and join us. We also have Queen of Hearts going on. That's over at Bucketheads over on Harrison Avenue. It's Buckethead Sports Bar and Grill. They are such a great partner as well. We talk about the partnerships that we have, just venues like that giving us their time, their stay, aft and the venue to make all of this happen and raise money for our organization. So that Queen of Hearts is done. Every Wednesday, they do the drawing at five thirty. So if you want to go out and support the Help Squad and maybe take a chance on winning some money, that's a great place to go.
Speaker 1: So at at Bucketheads Bugeheads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every Wednesday.
Speaker 3: At at it's three thirty to five thirty three five they sell the tickets and then they do the drawing by five thirty.
Speaker 2: All right, well I'll tell you what the Help Squad since I'm going to courage my listeners. Please please please consider don't any some time, consider being a sponsor for the golf event, consider a check, anything you can do to help out this wonderful mission. And you know, in helping them out, if you're inclined to have a Christian ideology or philosophy, you have an obligation as a Christian to fulfill the goals of the mission. Listen, that's what you're doing when you're helping out the help Squad. So thank you both for all that you do for the area, and I'll encourage my listeners to help you out and look forward to having you back on the program with some more uplifting information about the fine work that you're doing.
Speaker 3: Thanks Brian, thanks for having us out. And I just want to give a shout out to all of our friends and family who have supported us along the way. We certainly couldn't do this without the support of our and the love of our family and all of those people who have stepped up and then wanted to wish everybody a happy Fourth of July. Be safe out there.
Speaker 2: Amen to that too. Keep have a great weekend and a safe weekend, and keep up the great work. It's eight twenty six coming up in eight twenty seven, which you know means if you're regular listeners, I heart me. The aviation expert Jay Ratliff waiting in the wings close out a last day of work for me anyway, for the Independence Day weekend.
Speaker 1: I'll be right back. Fifty five KRC dot com The simply Money