Speaker 1: Hello, my friends. Broadcasting from Studio a at Proven Winners, Color Choice Shrubs. It's The Gardening Simplified Show with Stacy Hirvella, me, Rick weisst and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson. Well, you know, I think annuals. Flowering annuals to me, aren't an investment like a tree. They're more of an opportunity. They're an event. Investment is traditionally defined as the commitment of resources to achieve later benefits, and the key word here is later. See with flowering annuals, we can fill gaps in our landscape, have instant impact, season long color. Many annuals are edibles. Of course, pollinators love them. It's a great way to teach kids, and shopping for them is an adventure in spring. Just ask Stacy and her month.
Speaker 2: Indeed, it's one of my favorite things that I do all your life. You know, I think of annuals. It's interesting that you bring up the investment thing. I don't know exactly how to classify them, but they're akin to a party, you know, like going all out with decorations and food and yeah, sure, it's kind of like a condensed you know, short term payoff, but it's so worth it. You have to take advantage of the summer, well you can. And yeah, shopping for annuals I think is honestly one of the most fun things. It's even more fun if you can do it with someone like your mom or someone that you really love. But it's just it's a delight. I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it too, and I agree an event or an opportunity. And then if you think about it, you know, it used to be we had Decoration Day, and of course Mother's Day. We can thank Anna Jarvis and Woodrow Wilson years ago they designated the second Sunday in May to be Mother's Day. And then of course we had Decoration Day, which became Memorial Day, with which became the fourth Monday in the month of May. So you take those holidays and you throw into the mix that it's the last projected frost date for many people in the United States. Throw all those three together and wow, it becomes a flower festival.
Speaker 2: Yes, a very condensed like four week flower festival, but yeah, what a great time it is.
Speaker 1: It is a fantasic killing.
Speaker 2: Me over here, it's so far away.
Speaker 1: I go, well, you know, uh, from the perspective of the garden center industry. We used to years ago, when I first started out in the industry, we would sell annuals big time during the month of May and June. Now I'm finding it is an April to October thing. The party goes on for the entire spring, summer, and fall period, and that's what makes annuals so great. All right, the envelope please, twenty twenty five National Annual of the Year is super Tunia Mini Vista yellow petunia, What cheerful blooms. And I have to say they must have consulted with Stacy on this one, because Stacy, I know how much you love yellow in your landscape.
Speaker 2: I do love yellow, and I think it is an interesting choice for the annual of the year because I think very few people when they think of petunias, yellow is probably not even remotely part of their mental image, part of the conversation. People don't really think of yellow petunias, sure at all. But I have actually grown I haven't grown this particular one, but I did grow the Supertunia, saffron finch petunia and beauty, yeah, just beautiful. And I think it's high time that people start thinking of petunia's is an opportunity for you. They're not like a Namby Pamby yellow, not that there's anything wrong with that. They're like a good, bold, beautiful yellow, and I love it they are.
Speaker 1: They are sunshine, And of course I love the mini vista syria of supertunias. They bloom their heads off. They can handle the heat. Last year I took some many vistas that were in hanging baskets. Just overflowing the hanging baskets. I popped the hanging baskets off and plunged them into the ground. They were fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are one that you can grow in the ground. A lot of people get confused sort of about what the difference between supertunias and super bells are. One is a petunia, one is a Caliber CoA. Superbells is a Caliber CoA. But the Caliber Coas they don't recommend putting in the ground because they need such good drainage. They were made for containers, whereas a supertunias, Yeah, put them in the ground, make them into a flower filled ground cover and party it up.
Speaker 1: The wonderful thing about many vista supertunias, or in this case, the plant of the year. The flowering annual plant to the year is the fact that they're self cleaning, really no maintenance.
Speaker 2: So you don't have to worry.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: This is one of those things that I think people who petunias back in the day are just like, oh, I'm not growing petunias. You have to deadhead them. It's smelly, it's sticky, it's horrible. I'm never growing petunias again. But you know, honestly, and I don't even say that because I work here, but proven winners really did change all of that with the supertunias. It's a whole new way to look at petunias. And if you have been holding back from growing petunias for those reasons, you have those you know, bad memories, It's high time that you rethink it and bring some petunias into your annual plantings.
Speaker 1: It's flower power Supertunia Mini vista yellow petunias. The Kalladium of the Year envelope please heart to heart, Blushing Bride and Stacy for kalladiums. I love the fact that many koladiums now are both sun and shade. They're not just relegated to the shade. In this case, a strap leaf kualladium with elongated foliage. That and it's ruffled also, And so you see these bright pink leaves edged in a bright green border with patches of white. Can handle sun or shade, although if you're growing them in the south, probably better off in shade. But here in the Midwest or north, sun or shade. Just love kalladiums and the fact that they're so heat and humidity tolerance.
Speaker 2: You know, Kaladiums are another great example of a plant that has come so far from where it was. Now. I know you're going to remember this, but do you remember back in the day when you ordered kalladiums, your choices were green, white, pink, or red. There was no variety, there was no series. You had no idea what you're getting, just the color. And now it's just what has happened in the kalladium breeding world, between Heart to Heart and everything else out there. It's truly extraordinary, and I think it just really makes people rethink again this plant. And they do take sun, especially if you live in a colder climate. But I think especially for gardeners who have a lot of shade and want to have fabulous containers, this is a choice that should not be overlooked. You can stop thinking about, you know, feeling bad that you don't get flowers. Just pile on these kalladiums. You'll have tons of color, tons of texture. They are absolutely beautiful. Now, I unfortunately am having a little pity party over here since we're talking about parties, because I have tried to grow heart to heart kalladiums and the deer had other intentions. So unfortunately these are not very dear resistant. I've never had any trouble with them eating petunias. I don't think they like that, you know, kind of stickiness either. But yeah, I unfortunately is they have actually climbed my front steps to get to the kalladiums. So just a little word of warning for those of you who also have to deal with deer. But if you don't, and you have shade and you're looking for something just fabulous and interesting, you can't really do much better than hard to heartkalladiums.
Speaker 1: I agree. Coming up in segment four, we're going to talk to Noah dear Ohanian. He is the director of product management with Proven Winners. We're going to talk more about some of these fabulous varieties that are coming out this year. Exciting varieties and of course recipe of the year also for flowering annuals. This year it's Ireland, Champagne, Toast and Vista View. Now, Stacey, I love the recipe Ireland because to me, it looks like the flag of Ireland. You've got goldilocks, rocks, bidens, you have super bells, over easy Calibrica and then a favorite of many people luscious basket, tangiglow a Lantana. Now you put all those together, that recipe almost looks like the flag of Irons.
Speaker 2: And it's a lot of color. Now for our listeners who maybe aren't familiar with it, proven winners every year puts out creates these different recipes of combinations of annuals. Now, for me personally, combining annuals is my favorite thing about growing annuals. But there's a lot of people who just want that ready made, fool proof opportunity, and for them, I think that you know the recipes, whether it's the recipes of the Year or just one of the many recipes on the website, it just makes a great starting point for designing your plants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these recipes and combinations too, are not a recipe or a combination where someone's sitting at their desk thinking, oh, this would be cool. No, these are proven, tested and tried, and so you know these recipes are going to work for you. Now. In addition to the annuals of the year, there are many new introductions this year. We're going to talk to Noah about it. In segment four. There's a totally tempted Kufia, which I'm very excited about. Aero Magica purple heliotrope. This one's fantastic because a lot of people have heliotrope melt out on them in the heat of summer, but this one is a fabulous cultivar, and so I recommend that. And then Stacy, I loved Scavola before it was popular to love Scavola. And now we have star Diva. So as opposed to the hand or fan shaped flowers that were used to we now have star shaped flowers. So there are so many great new annuals coming down the line this year. I can't wait for frost free days.
Speaker 2: I know me too. More color, a little less white, little more color would would not be a bad thing.
Speaker 1: It's coming, folks. Hang on, we'll get there. Plants on Trial is next. Let's see how Stacey ties this all together here on the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 2: Beautify your home and community with Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs. With over three hundred and twenty five unique varieties to choose from. There's a flowering shrubber evergreen for every taste and every space. Just look for the distinctive white container your local garden center or learn more at Proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greeting's gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show. We're talking the Annual of the Year. We've been through the shrub of the Year, we've been through the Perennial of the year, and now it is time for the Annual of the Year. And like we've said in previous shows, the plants of the Year from the Proven Winner's brand are selected by industry experts. Were each of the partners that does perennials, shrubs and annuals does it in a slightly different way. The way that we do it for shrubs is we have some of the biggest growers in the US vote on that. Because of course, the important thing and what's really great about the Plants of the Year is that they're going to be easy to find. And you know, there's so many proven winners plants out there that a lot of times you'll fall in love with something and it can be hard to find. And so the great thing about the annuals and perennials and shrubs of the year is that everybody's on board. They've known about this for a couple of years. You're only hearing about it right now, but the industry has known about it for a while, so the supply is going to be there for you to actually use and incorporate in your garden. And it's also just I think, a nice guideline for trying new things every year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that, you know, and probably a little easier with as than it is, let's say with perennials or shrubs. But that's why we see so many new introductions every year.
Speaker 2: In annuals, right, And that's what we try to do is just to get people to focus on one thing because we do have so much great stuff. I mean, it's hard for me to focus on one plant every week for plants on Trial because we do have so many great plants. So that's why I always try to tie it to whatever our theme of the episode, is, and you know, thinking about this week's as you already said, Rick, I love yellow and the garden, and I have found that yellow in the garden for me is not necessarily something that I personally select. It's just something that has happened. And it's partly because I do grow, you know, a lot, not all, but mostly native plants, and a great number of North American native flowering perennials and shrubs for that matter, do happen to have yellow flowers. So by virtue of you know, sort of a natural selection, I've ended up with quite a lot of yellow in my garden.
Speaker 1: And I think when spring arrives, to celebrate, we should do a show where we're both wearing yellow. I'll go out and find something yellow when the landscape came all.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a deal, okay, all right. So, and I do have a lot of yellow clothes too, because I love I love yellow that much. I'm wearing yellow earings right now. You just can't see him under the headphones. But the cool thing about yellow in the garden is I was thinking about it, is that yellow is truly a seasonless color. I think a lot of other colors in the garden you know, you think of them as just being very associated with a season, like you aren't really seeing like a lot of red flowers or red stuff outside of summer and fall, and pink is highly associated with, you know, summer, and purple is highly associated with that sort of at least in my garden, that late spring early summer transitional period when you've got your neepata and your selvia and all of that stuff flowering. But yellow really is a seasonless color. In the spring, you've got your daffodils and you're in your forsythia. Of course, you know summer, as we've just been through all sorts of stuff. In fall, I mean, of course, so much yellow in fall, whether you're talking about a ginko or you know what plants can.
Speaker 1: My favorite yellow ginko.
Speaker 2: It's a great choice. And then on top of all those yellow flowers, there's also tons of yellow foliage.
Speaker 1: Yes, as a matter of fact, I know where you're going with this segment. You're going to talk about spyria, right, Spyria.
Speaker 2: I am not going to talk about spyria today. We do have yellow leaved spyria, but I am talking about a plant that people aren't used to seeing with yellow foliage, the mystery thickens, and I won't keep you in suspense any longer. This week's plant on trial is sky do gold blueberry.
Speaker 1: What a gorgeous plant.
Speaker 2: It is a very unique plant. So if you live in West Michigan, of course, blueberries are no stranger to you. You see them all the time. You kind of can't not see them if you're driving anywhere around here. But the homegrowing blueberries are different. You know, they're smaller, they're more garden friendly, They're not like the big, you know, six feet tall plants that you'll see out in the actual blueberry farms. So skydew gold is a gold leaf ornamental blueberry. And through the show you're gonna hear me talk about it as an ornamental blueberry, and you might be thinking, like, well, what exactly does that mean? Does that mean it doesn't have fruit? And the fact is it does set fruit, it does flower, and it does have fruit, and that fruit is edible. But this is a blueberry that was selected specifically for its looks in the garden or landscape.
Speaker 1: And I can see why. When we were in the trial garden, Adriana, you and myself, I saw it in the distance and Stacy, I was drawn towards it, like what is that? Right?
Speaker 2: And I have had the same experience in our trial garden too, where you know, Adrian and I'll be walking around going to make videos and something will catch your eye and I'll be like, oh my gosh, what is that? And we'll go over there, and sure enough it's a sky. It's happened to us more than once in different spots in the garden because it is just such a showy plant. So this is a gold leaf blueberry, and the foliage starts out kind of green in the spring, with that kind of pinkish red flush that is common for blueberries. But then as that foliage expands and starts to mature, starts to you know, photosynthesize, it creates these bright golden pigments and those are going to stay present on the foliage basically from you know, mid to late spring, all the way until full when the plant then starts to turn red and yellow. And you know, the interesting thing to me about this plant, or one of the many things, is that it's a very vivid and very eye catching gold yellow. But it's not unnatural looking, you know, and I think so you know, I think sometimes people want a really colorful landscape, and there's a lot of plants out there with colors that were maybe not really used to seeing in nature where we live or whatever. And this has all of that pizazz and eye catching, you know, dazzling kind of look, but not in a way that's like garish or gaudy, like it's getting all your attention. It's really bright, it's very interesting and pretty in the landscape, but it doesn't feel out of place, like it doesn't feel like you're trying to like scream, it's just like you're trying to, you know, give a sassy winking something like that. So, like I said, we call it an ornamental blueberry because it was selected again for these ornamental characteristics, not edible characteristics. And when you're going for a blueberry that you want to produce fruit, you're saying, like, hey, does this produce earlier late? Are the are the fruits large, are they smaller? They juicy? Or are they tasty? You're looking for the qualities of edibility. Now, this does produce fruit, and the fruits are perfectly delicious, but that was not our primary selection criteria. That's what makes it a little bit different than other blueberries. But if you already have blueberries, you can certainly add this for some pizaz in your blueberry planting or in your landscape, and other blueberries will pollinate it and you'll get fruit. So it's kind of like an added bonus. So for this plant, you should really think about the fruit. That is the main reason, and you're growing it, but kind of as a little added bonus there if you want to have it or leave it to the animals or whatever you want to do with it, always a benefit.
Speaker 1: Now do we need lots of sunshine and drainage for this like we do with blueberries here in Michigan.
Speaker 2: Yes, So everything that you would normally need for properly sighting a blueberry plant is going to be equally true for skyd gold. Okay, you're going to want acidic soil. Of course, this is non negotiable. And a lot of people, I think, do think of blueberries as high maintenance plants. And I'm going to get to pruiting in just a second, but I think, as with everything in the garden, people tend to think of things as high maintenance when they are not sighted properly and therefore need a lot of attention to do what you want them to do. But with skyde gold blueberry or any other kind of blueberry, if you plant it in full sun, and this is cold tolerant down to usdas on four, heat tolerant through USDA Zone eight, so the warmer your climate, the more shade it can take. But if you're down there in zone four five, definitely gonna want full sun for this for the best color, best fall color, and of course best flowering and fruiting if you do want some of those fruits. Acidic soil, well drained soil, super crucial. Blueberries don't really like wet so they can take moist soil, but you don't want like the soggy soil that can lead to all sorts of issues for them. And the great thing, because this is an ornamental blueberry and not a production blueberry, you don't have to worry about pruning at all, you know, overall, if you're trying to grow blueberries for backyard fruit production, you do need to be quite careful with the pruning. You need to, you know, remove the oldest growth, make sure that it has lots of young, healthy growth for the best flowering and fruiting. Timing is really crucial. It's a lot to remember. Whereas with skydew gold, you don't have to prune it at all if you don't want to. In fact, it reaches just two to four feet tall and three to four feet wide, so it's really the perfect size for home landscaping and you won't need to prune it, you know, for any reason at all, if you don't want to it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like the plant for me, no work, easy to grow, and giving you a sassy wink.
Speaker 2: If you do want a sassy wink in your landscape, then yes, this would definitely be a good choice. So overall, you know, blueberries are not the most deer resisted, they're not highest up on the list of plants that deer want to eat, but they will eat them, and they will particularly eat the young growth in spring, which is going to be where all those flowers are. It's going to be soft. They tend to eat it in spring because of course, you know, they're hungry. They've kind of exhausted the food supplies out in natural areas. So if you do have deer, I would definitely protect this plant with maybe a repellent or some netting, especially for its first couple of years, and then you know, you should be okay overall, people don't, you know, Like the blueberry growers around here, there's plenty of deer and they don't usually have to worry about them. So the woodier and more mature they get, the less appealing they are too deer. But it's something you're definitely going to want to protect for at least the first couple of seasons.
Speaker 1: I'll bet. On the positive side, the birds love them.
Speaker 2: The birds absolutely love them. Yeah, and so do pollinators. I mean, because there's the blueberry flowers serve all sorts of different pollinators, so this is just one of those plants. It's a little bit different, kind of like a yellow petunia in that regard, and again just a great way to bring color like nothing else to your garden and that great three season interest. So lots going for it if you're interested. Of course, you can see photos of it in our YouTube version or on Instagram or on our show notes at Gardening Simplified on air dot com. You can also find a retailer to look for it this season and add it to your garden. We're going to take a little break. When we come back, we're opening up the garden mail bags, so please stay tuned. At Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs, we know that a better landscape starts with a better shrub. Our team of experts tests and evaluates all of our flowering shrubs and evergreens for eight to ten years to ensure they outperform what's already on the market. For easycare, reliable, beautiful shrubs to accentuate your home and express your personal style, look for Proven Winner's Shrubs in the distinctive white container at your local garden center, or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greetings gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show. We are your headquarters for answering garden questions and apparently Sassy winks so I don't know where that came from, but it is new to the to the Gardening it Simplified canon here. So anyway, one of the things that we really love to do to help simplify gardening for you is to answer garden questions. And like I said before, even though it is kind of the off season, you're probably starting to think about things that are going wrong. And this week we actually have a couple of questions about house plants as well, which is also something that we even though it's not maybe technically gardening, it's gardening like so you can go to Gardening Simplified on air dot com and ask us your questions there. But before we get to the questions we did, you have a couple comments that I wanted to share listener Jackie, since today is the annual of the year show, She writes to us, I love all capital letters. My super beina. So superbinas are a proven winners annual like super Tunia, but they are verbina. Do you let do you grow verbina?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yes? And I love it. And I'll tell you what the super beinas the fact that they are mildew resistant, because that was years ago that was the big problem with verbina was mildew. And they're they're vigorous and they're mildew reasons.
Speaker 2: Well, that must be why Jackie loves them. She says, I'll always have it in my garden, and all the pollinators love it too. They're almost always filled with butterflies and the hummingbird moths visit regularly. Hummingbird moths. Who doesn't want hummingbird moss in the garden they're the best. So she sends some pictures of her super beinas for some inspiration in the super line of improved Proven Winners annuals. So do you check us out on YouTube or at Gardeningsimplified on air dot com to take a look at those Stacy.
Speaker 1: We also got an interesting comment from listener Tom hardiness zone is great, but with the environmental changes occurring today, I feel a strong need for heat zone information on plants as well. I have had too many plants rated for my zone failed due to their intolerance to my heat conditions. I won't purchase a new plant without heat zone information or a recommendation and Stacey. Back in nineteen ninety seven, the American Horticultural Society created a heartiness zone for heat and as I understand it, a heat day is over eighty six degrees fahrenheit or thirty degrees celsius. So in zone one you would have no heat days. In zone twelve could as many as two hundred and ten or more.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a lot of hot days. It's a lot of So the AHS system heat zone system is a great or I should say was a great system, but unfortunately they have pulled it from their website, and when I reached out to them to ask them why, because we were including AHS heat zone information on all of our tags and all of our websites and everything like that. So we're like, hey, we can't really send people to your website and say here's your AAHS find your AHS heat zone when there's no map anymore. And they said, you know, the data that we have was two out of date. We can't stand behind this system anymore. Because of course the more you know, everybody was freaking out a year ago about the USDA Heardiness Zone map and that being changed based on a better, more accurate data set, so they didn't have the funding or the data to continue supporting the heat zone system. And you know what Tom is saying here, I think is really so crucial to so many gardeners, whether you live in a hot climate or you live in a cold climate, because there's plenty of people who, especially in the center of the country, live in what would be considered a cold climate but have extremely hot summers, and you really need a plant that can tolerate both of those things. So Tom, I feel your pain, even though I don't live in a hot climate. I understand how valuable this information is to people, and I totally understand that the heartiness own system has a lot of shortcomings, particularly for people who live in hot climates. Unfortunately, at present, there is not really a better solution. I have a lot of people on our team here at Perfuminter's Color Choice Shrubs looking for opportunities to fund research or to fund data so that we can continue to offer this service. So I wanted to add this just in case anybody's out there listening to the show and wants to get in touch. You can go to Gardening Simplified on air dot com and let's see how we can work together to give the hot climate gardeners a little bit more reliable information to pick their plants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fantastic. May As I have soil that was used in a pot for two years now the plant has gone. I want to know if I should keep reducing the soil for new plants. There's a lot of broken up roots and in parts of the soil the soil is a light brown color instead of a darker black. Should I just add organic matter to a mend it? Not sure if the root bits are a problem oh, Stacey, the old potting soil and sticker shock. When you go to a garden center and see exactly how expensive potting soil is and I've got how many pots.
Speaker 2: To fill, I feel you. Yeah, So, as I think we've talked about on the show, I am a big, big believer in reusing your potting soil a great and particularly for houseplants, it can be a little bit easier than if you're dealing with the scale of outdoor containers. As I've said before, I just use those great big plastic storage bins that you get at Costco or whatever with the yellow tops and nice. Those two of those will still all of my soil that I use in my containers. I do mix it up with some nice composts to recharge it and get some organic matter back, because asme has noted, when that organic matter starts to go away, it's going to become more of just like in peat, muss is in organic matter as well, but a lot of the other like more water attentive, high nutrition kind of stuff that they put in there, like leaf mold. There's all sorts of different things depending on the soil mix that you're buying. Yeah, I would just mix that in by hand and use it. I don't worry about roots in my potting mix at all.
Speaker 1: Same here, I mean I pull out some of the bigger roots from year to year. If we're talking about outside containers, but leaving some of the roots in. I view it as organic matter.
Speaker 2: I do too, Okay, all right, And you know a lot of people when I've talked about this at you know, talks or whatever that I've given in various places, I've said like, well, don't you worry about disease or anything like that, And the answer to that is no, I actually don't worry about disease because most root diseases are are actually going to be problematic in wet conditions. If the soil is well drained and it's not staying super wet, you really don't have very much to worry about.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Of course, if you are an orchid grower or you're doing something that's like, you know, really high value, that might be a different story. But I would say for the average home gardener, you have nothing to be concerned about, and if you are concerned, you don't get rid of some of it. But yeah, I definitely believe in keeping your potting soil, treating it like a resource and an investment, and getting all the life you can out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do the same in here in Michigan. Of course, we have an organic matter amendment called dairy dow d ooh, and I work a little bit of that into the old soil too, so I don't empty those pots. Stacey, I got a green thumb from pinching pennies.
Speaker 2: I guess, well, Patina on there.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I'm trying to give you a it's not a snarky wink. What is it?
Speaker 2: A sassy wink?
Speaker 1: A sassy wink? There we go. I was thinking snarky wink.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's those two.
Speaker 1: We can add that one too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's for different things.
Speaker 1: Fey has a question about a popular houseplant. I'd like to know how to cut a corn plant off, grow new roots, and replant in fresh soil. It's now hitting a nine foot ceiling. Yeah, Dressina will do that. They call them mass canes, if you're keeping score at home in the industry. And what they do, Stacey, is they cut canes into various links and root them in pots, and these Drosina mass canes will grow from it and the plant is pretty tough and aggressive and eventually can yeah, bump the ceiling.
Speaker 2: It can easily get to be nine feet in time and with good care and if it's happy. So yeah, just to be clear, she says, corn plants, but we are not talking about the corn that you eat or corn syrup. It is actually a dressina, very popular houseplant, and there are different types of drosina as well. So usually the one that is considered cornplant has the foliage growing all up it, but then sometimes as it gets older, that foliage will drop. So there's a lot of different forms of dressina that you can get. But for the corn plant, you can easily cut off portions of it and root them. So what you're gonna want to do is don't pay, don't take too big of a section. If you have too big of a section, that's too much roots or that's too much foliage for it to try to grow roots to compensate for. So, you know, I would say probably, you know, something like maybe eight to ten inches long or thereabout.
Speaker 1: Talking growth, the green growth, yes.
Speaker 2: Correct, not so not the the bare canes where you have the green growth. I would say aim for eight to ten inches A little bit more it is fine, and then peel off the leaves so that you're exposing a white base. You'll see that as soon as you start to peel those leaves off. And then if you want, you can put some rooting hormone on there. You don't have to, but if you happen to have some laying around, put some rooting harmone. Put it in a pot with some nice potting soil that is moist. You might want to put a nice big bag around that to build up some humidity. Just make sure that the foliage doesn't touch the bag, and I would say in a good six to ten weeks that thing is going to have roots and be on its way to eventually reaching a nine foot tall plant itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've seen people take the procedure that you just outlined and even rooted them in a glass of water. You don't have to do it that way, but you could produce roots that way too, And that's the foliage that's growing, the healthy foliage that's growing in the upper part of the plant. Now. I have seen people root the canes also. That's a lot tougher. And you know, from time to time in the garden center industry, we'd see some plants shipped in that where the cane was put into soil and had not rooted yet and it falls out. So the method Stacey's outlining is probably the best way for you to go.
Speaker 2: And if your plant has multiple you know it has a long area of living, healthy green foliage, you can do that as many times as you want, so it isn't just the topmost growth that you need to take. You can you can do multiple as long as it has some green growth. Because again, as Rick said, they're not woody plants, but when you have that kind of quirkier, woodier growth, it just doesn't root as easily or as well. And everywhere that you cut it back to eventually with TLC will sprout a new corn sprout exactly and start growing as well. So if you have a nine foot tall corn plant, fay, you have the potential to have many, many more.
Speaker 1: If you so choose, share with friends and nap.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we're going to take a little break in when we come back. We are thrilled to have a guest room proven winners annuals, So please stay tuned. Thanks for listening to the Gardening Simplified podcast, brought to you by Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens are trialed and tested by experts with your success in mind. Learn more at Proven Winners color Choice dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show today for branching news and interview with Noah Dear o'hanian. He is the director of product management with Proven Winners and I think probably just as excited as we are for planting some flowering annuals this spring and for spring to arrive. Noah, thanks for joining us on the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you guys for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Noah, I want to get a comment from you. First of all, Right, off the top annual of the year, So the chosen annual is Supertunia Mini Vista Yellow Petunia. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 3: I'm really excited about that as the annual of the year, primarily because of the benefit that the customer is going to receive as a Proven Winner product. You're going to get that long blooming heat tolerant. But the biggest thing I think for me is the not having the deadhead, you know, as a as a customer, having that product on your bench or even having it into your garden and being able to see those vibrant flowers all season long is important. And not having to do as much maintenance, I think is a big factor.
Speaker 1: Well, I know Stacy's happy she's getting the color yellow in her landscape this year. She loves yellow.
Speaker 2: I do love yellow, and I was I was saying in the first segment when we were talking about the annuals of the year that yellow petunias seem to be kind of like a new on the scene color for petunias.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely going to be It's going to make the garden top for sure. I think it's just gonna I think it's gonna bring out a lot of other beautiful colors in the garden as a nice compliment.
Speaker 2: And it just seems like for years there was you know, pink, there was white, there was purple, and it didn't really go into kind of more of the hot color range. But I know that you guys have been doing a lot withyellow petunias. Is there some sort of color barrier that's been crossed there something that allows yellow petunias, So.
Speaker 3: Obviously there's a lot that goes on behind the scenes with proven winners and the genetics. And I think the biggest factor of the yellow is the fact that it holds that color. A lot of other petunities on the market that are yellow will dull over time.
Speaker 4: No one wants a sad yellow, So I feel that it's exciting kalladium of the year, Heart to heart, blushing bride kalladium You're feeling on kalladiums, Noah.
Speaker 3: I think that they are a great centerpiece for containers. But I think what's really key, and I think a lot of folks can use, is they also make a decent houseplant. There are very adaptable as a houseplant. I think that kind of goes untalked about, but I think it's going to be making a trend here, So something to keep in mind.
Speaker 2: So if people want to so say they buy heartheart kalladiums for the outdoors in the in the spring or summer for you know, outdoor annuals, and they want to bring them indoors. A lot of people, I think, know that kaladiums are a bulbicorm like growth. So should they let them go dormant and then replant them or should they bring them inside and try to continue growing them as a green plant.
Speaker 3: I think as a hobbyist the fun thing to do and try to bring it out of the cold before it went dormant and got it inside ideally to keep that color going.
Speaker 2: And you know, if they're still doing great around the holidays. I know that Heart to Heart has been doing a lot of work on kaladiums for Christmas. So if you can keep it going at least till.
Speaker 3: Then yeah, Christmas kaladiums. I mean, it's definitely it would work well with the point SETI a market. You know, bringing that color inside doesn't necessarily have to be a flower, can be foliage as well.
Speaker 1: Definitely, so many new fantastic annuals coming out this year. Noah, I'm excited about space Age rex begonias. People love colorful foliage and space Age rexonas Wow. That's quite a plant.
Speaker 3: Oh oh my goodness. Yeah, I'm very excited about this one. The size of the foliage, the color palette again, even one that could be brought indoors. It's one of those really nice large foliage with its purples and some of the greens. There are three different varieties of the space Age you have Triton Europa as well as Black Hole, and they all bring their own individual personality, but all kind of work the same with their vigor and in their folio size.
Speaker 1: What a great plant. I've been talking to Kevin Hurd with Proven Winners about Aero Magica Purple Heliotrope. He's really excited about this plant because of the branching, and he says, as far as the flowers are concerned, they bury their dead, so it's more of a maintenance free plant. And who doesn't love the fragrance of a heliotrope. I think there's a lot of people excited about Aero Magica. Noah, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Definitely agree with Kevin. I know, we've gone on several trips together, Kevin and I, and he's mentioned how excited he is about the heliotropium being one of the newest additions to the Proven Winner's line, and he does have an extensive background in genetics, which is really awesome to travel with him. But I definitely agree with him. The aroma, the fact that it does bury the dead flowers, that the huge wings, and you.
Speaker 2: Know, I think heliotrope is one of those plants that a lot of people don't even know because it was considered such an old fashioned kind of flower, kind of an out of favor because of the dead heading and just not great plants overall, and a lot of this breeding I think brings the potential for this plant to a whole new audience. And you know, for those of who were wondering what the magic in the aer magica is, they smell like vanilla. They have this just delightful, beautiful vanilla smell. And of course, Heliotrope, the plant is itself another name for purple so bowl and vanilla. I mean, sign me up.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: Also, it's interesting you can it grows in the Grande absolutely beautifully containers, window boxes, recipes, monoculture's landscape. I mean, this plant has it all. So it's a great addition.
Speaker 1: If you want to talk about the history and old fashioned plants. For me, Heliotrope, I in the heat of summer, I smell a fresh baked cherry pie.
Speaker 2: I can see that too kind of fragrance.
Speaker 1: Does anybody bake pies and put them on the window sill in summer anymore? Maybe they do, But that's what.
Speaker 3: I too many people floating around exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I mentioned earlier in the show and Noah that I was a big fan of Scavola before it became popular, and now as opposed to the fan shape or hand shaped flowers, you come out with Star Diva. Wow, what a plan it.
Speaker 3: Yes, so very excited about the start Eva. I am also a huge Scavla fan. I think the nice thing for me about Scavola is when you give it to somebody who may must not necessarily be an avid horticulturalist, they can let it dry down a little bit and it pops right back the Star Diva. I mean, the nice thing about it is it just packs a huge flower punch. It's going to be used separately than the WorldWind would be used worldwhend you're going to find in the baskets. The Star Eva is going to kind of be a standalone maybe in containers. It doesn't pack is big of a fill as the WorldWind, so it does have its place in the market. It's nice to have a complimentary pair to the Whirlwind in its own right, you know.
Speaker 2: I like when I'm designing my containers, which I pretty much do on the spot. It's not like I go to the garden center with a grand plan in mind. It's kind of just grabbing whatever, whatever looks cool. You know a lot of times I thought, oh, I would love like the color the form of a scavola, but I just I don't need a trailer. And it's so cool when you have, you know, that same kind of look and that same durability and everything, but in a different habit. It's a great way to kind of do a theme in variation, create some cohesion in the garden without just being overly unnecessarily repetitive.
Speaker 3: Exactly. Yes, I like how you put that, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you're thinking about growing scavola in your yard, if you have a really hot situation or hot sun, boy, this is the plant for you. It really performs. Okay Kufia, Am I pronouncing that right? First of all, I think you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, see what.
Speaker 1: So it was Stacey who got me really going on vermillionaire. I mean, I've dabbled in it before, but vermillionaire, I love that plant was gorgeous in my garden this year. And then you come out with totally tempted kufias, which are procumbents. So I'm thinking the plant being a procumbents. It's it's a more of a trailer or it lies, it's shorter. Tell us about these new Kufias that are introduced this year.
Speaker 3: Sure so so some people pronounced it pronounced cufia cfia. I think either way okay correct. But the nice thing about this is it just kind of expands our list of heat tolerant annuals. For sure, it's floriferous. You're still going to get your pollinators coming in, which is awesome, as well as it's just a little bit more of a refined habit and so you're not going to like you said, it's it's the pro commings. It's not going to be that standing tall. It's going to be much round or more mounded, and in still packs that that that flower, that flower punch that we love in cufia for sure.
Speaker 2: Now what I did get samples of this last year, and I grew it. I grew the red one because the only thing I like better than yellow is red, and I absolutely the color was just stunning. Now I did it did get pollinator so not the hummingbirds, like totally tempted because it doesn't have those cigar shaped flowers that kind of characterize the Vermilionaire type, but just such a beautiful plant. And the color. It looks great with the vermilionaire because it still picks up with kind of that saturation that you see with that like little bit of purple. But the color on this plant, I've never grown anything like it. I absolutely adored it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for people keeping score at home, we're talking about kufia, so it's cuph ea and then the totally tempted frosted violets and then richly red. There is also a vivid violet and a totally tempted water melon wine. I think these plants are going to be popular.
Speaker 3: Noah, I agree. I agree.
Speaker 1: Now, years ago in the garden center industry, I have memories of selling moss roses, the multi colored moss roses in.
Speaker 2: Trade cell packs, the old cell packs, the.
Speaker 1: Old cell packs, and a lot of people consider them as an old fashion annual. But now we've got tangerine, fusia and mango, the mojave, portia, lacas, these plants especially for hot sunny areas. Noah, I'm planning on growing some of these in my landscape this.
Speaker 3: Year, oh for sure. And don't just think of it as a landscape plant. The way that they work in hangars. I think is phenomenal growing for some other growers before venturing into proven winters, A lot of hangars, the eight inch hangers would be loaded. We have loaded portolaca hangers and they were just phenomenal, phenomenal and would fly off the shelf. So don't think of it as just a landscape plant. It does work well in a as a mono or a monocombo, two different colors mixed into a hanging basket.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's very forgiving, so especially for people who want to grow in containers but travel or have really difficult conditions, it's such a great choice because it can really withstand some short term abuse without really suffering in the flower color at all.
Speaker 3: Agreed. And it's set so many new buds that they're always ready to emerge. So if you do lose some flowers water, if you come back from a vacation, like you said, a few days later, maybe a week later, you'll have some new flowers emerging.
Speaker 1: I love it. Unplugged red salvia and white salvia. Tell us about this plant. There's there's a great story behind this plant, and I think this is going to be very popular in garden centers. This year.
Speaker 3: I agree as well. The salvia is a huge staple of our of our new new intros coming out. The flowers, the different colors that we're offering, larger blossoms, greater flower power, is just impulse appeal at the retail level. It's just gonna it's gonna be great for all all sorts of consumers in the gardens.
Speaker 1: And there's unplugged red and unplugged D white, correct, that is correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And again it's going to attract the pollinators, the beast, the butterfly, hummingbird. And but the nice thing is it is deer resistance.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, they didn't I had samples of this last year as well of unplugged red. They didn't touch it. And this thing, it was a blooming machine, like it just would not stop. And you know, the the flower clusters, the spikes, they kind of elongate, so the more the longer you have it, the longer they get. And by the end of the season it just looks like this wild. It kind of like gets back to that more like wild salvia. Yeah, and in the best way, you know, like I love that it kind of gets a little yeah, just a little while, a little rough around the edges.
Speaker 1: I like that nice nice Noah, I of course loved the supertunias, the performance of supertunias. You have one this year, Bermuda Beach. This is a a supertunia that I want to put in a container on my deck and then pull up my lawn chair with a nice little beverage and sit by it. What a cool color on that plant.
Speaker 3: For sure. What kind of beverage you think you would have?
Speaker 1: Oh, come on over, We'll mix something up really good. Noah. Actually, to be honest with you, it would be a it would be a cilantro and cucumber. Martine, I know you were.
Speaker 2: Going to say that.
Speaker 3: So the supertunia Bermuda Beach, it has been within the proven winner's realm for a little bit. But this is an improvement. So when we do make improvements or release improvements, they are not big. They're not usually big improvements because we know it's a tried and true crop that our customers absolutely adore. What we're trying to do is just pass on some of the benefits of some maybe newer things that are coming out. So maybe a little bit larger of a flower, maybe the color is gonna last a little bit longer. So as far as Bermuda Beach goes, it's a medium coral pink flower bloom spring to fall of no dead heading. We all love not having the dead head flowers. And again it's it's one of those plants that you could just use window boxes, hanging baster recipes. You could do whatever you want with this plant. It's indestructible. It's a great plan and it's a.
Speaker 2: Key element of one of perform Winner's best selling recipes is that Bermuda Beach or Bermuda skuys with with this and the and the little blue Labelia's in it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, correct, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, always. You see that everywhere. I know when that was I know when that first came out of him, was like oh wow. And you know, here we are at least ten years later, and I see it everywhere I go every single season. People love that combination.
Speaker 1: Noah, before we let you go in, we're talking to Noah Dear o'hanian. He is the director of product management with Proven Winners, And Noah, I want to ask you real quickly because when I'm in the garden center, I see people going crazy over angelonia. Angel face love that plant and you have some improved varieties this year.
Speaker 3: That is that is correct. It's gonna be a very heat resisting variety. It actually it thrives.
Speaker 2: In the heat.
Speaker 3: So think of it as a plant that just thrives in the heat. So you get into a nice warm area, it's just going to perform like crazy for you. Just make sure you obviously you give it the right amount of water, but in a nice warm area, and they're gonna explode.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Noah, as director of product management with proven winners, You're probably not allowed to have a favorite plant, is that correct? Or do you have a favorite?
Speaker 3: I do have. I was, you know, it's funny, before we have done this call, I was wondering if that question was going to come up. And I do have a fit. I do have a favorite plant. And I don't know if it's if it's going to bode well with my colleagues, but I think that to double up. Pogonia for me is one of my favorite annuals really growing it. It is such an easy grow. You can pot it and and forget it and it just does its thing. It's a very easy product. And I just absolutely adore that plant.
Speaker 1: I love that and you know, I see a real resurgence in begonias too. You know, it's a plant that can handle some dry shade. People love bogonias, and to have these varieties of begonias available today certainly is a kick in the plant, so to speak, when we get out there and start planting.
Speaker 3: Noa, yeah, yeah. Just so everyone knows the rexes are a this is called a foreshadow. I want to say that the rexes are just a nice starting point. There's so many beautiful bogoonis out there for their foliage. Just keep an eye out from Proven Winners, and we hope to bring you some really awesome stuff.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Noah, thank you so much for joining us on the Gardening Simplified Show. A pleasure to talk to you. Thanks for everything you do for Proven Winners and for the general public. Boy, we've got some great plants to look forward to this year.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you for having me and I love sharing all the information.
Speaker 1: All right, thanks well. Gee.
Speaker 2: I said at the end of segment one that I was super excited for Garden Center shopping season. Now I'm even more excited and it's still a couple months away, so I'm gonna have to figure out something else to do with all of that plant energy. I'm ready to go put it into seed shopping or something like that. So thanks so much Shanoah for sharing all of that great information about the new PREVUM Winners Annuals for twenty twenty five. Thank you, Rick, you, thank you Adriana, and thanks so much to all of you for listening, watching, and listening to us on podcasts. We really appreciate it and hope you have a wonderful week ahead.