Speaker 1: It's night's time with Dan Ray.
Speaker 2: I'm telling easy Bond video.
Speaker 3: But we've talked a lot about politics for the last few nights. We may get back to politics later on, but tomorrow is Halloween, and of course with Halloween we talk about some interesting spooky issues and some phenomenon and I'm delighted to welcome to the program Rachel Person. She is a realtor who deals often with antique homes, and the question of what has happened in a home that's been around a long time sometimes has an influence on whether or not that home becomes more or less saleable. By that, I mean that there are some homes where if there's some legend of it being haunted, or if indeed there has been some horrific event in the past and people find out about it, Uh, it can make that home less marketable. Rachel, I'm trying to explain it as best I can. I just want to set it up that way. Tell us about your real estate experience, as I understand that you deal a lot with older homes, and I'm sure that is part of the function of that is where you actually conduct your business. You are a realtor based in Newburyport, but you also sell homes in Massachusetts and also in New Hampshire. Tell us a little bit about who you who you who you deal with, Who are the who are the folks that you're out that that are looking for homes from through your office.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. Yeah. So my mother, Yeah, my mother and I are a mother daughter team. And as you said, we're located in newberry Port. And my mom has been in real estate for I don't know, over thirty years, and her niche has always been historic properties. I grew up in historic or antique properties with my parents redoing many of them over the years, and she kind of just found her way into that niche. And then when I joined her about oh it's a little over four years ago, so I'm going into my fifth year here, I kind of fell into that as well. We often sell historic luxury properties because I mean, you know, Newburyport has a pretty dense concentration of historic and or antique properties. We did sell the John Noy's House that was built in sixteen forty six.
Speaker 1: I think that's the oldest one we sold so far.
Speaker 4: First period house yet. We sold one just this September in Newburyport that was built in sixteen eighty. So, yeah, it's something that it's you know, it's just another day at the office. I'm so used to it. But I love them. I love the history behind them.
Speaker 3: Now there are homes that have stories associated with them, Okay, And I don't know if you believe in haunted homes or not. Yeah, I'm just curious in your experience. And we're going to get into the legalities that realtors what they have to and do not have to, you know, tell people about, But what is your experience? Are there homes that that when you get them, you know that there's a sort of a legend or a history that that might make that home a home that some people would would not be anxious to buy.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean so many of the houses that we sell, like you know, if someone was to ask us to someone died in the house, it's like, yeah, sure they probably did. It was built in seventeen fifty. So, but you know, in terms of like historically significant homes, we don't see them that often. Obviously, the James Noys Houses was is historically significant because he was involved in Salem witch trials and was a first settler in Newbury, So you know that's that's significant. But not any houses around here that I can think of off the top of my head that are known to be haunted. Now, have I lived in the house I considers to maybe be haunted, Yes, my parents experience. Yeah yeah, yeah, No, not real estate. It's just my own own in my own personal life because I've lived in so many old houses and just weird stuff happens. Weird, weird stuff happens that you can't explain.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we're talking there about what I think some would describe as the paranormal correct, Yes, yeah, yeah, okay, So yeah, so let's first of all deal with the question of what wheeltors are obligated to disclose and what they're not obligated to disclose. And I know that there are some rules that you have to comply by, comply with, so give us, give us the overview there of what you are obligated to tell and what you are not obligated to tell. Sure.
Speaker 4: So, I'm licensed in both Massachusetts and Newmpshire, as you mentioned, and they have vastly different rules about these things. Massachusetts is what's called a buyer beware state, so it is up to the buyer to ask the pertinent questions. The only thing that I have to disclose or my sellar needs to disclose is the presence of lead paint or if the house is built prior to nineteen seventy eight. If you know you have to sell out a lead paint disclosure, You have to talk about whether or not there is a septic system on the property, and you have to get a title five done, and then you're not allowed to lie if asked the direct question. So if someone says to you sterial defect about something, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, but let's assume let's focus on the haunt. Let's assume someone says to you, gee, this is an old house. I love it for a lot of reasons, but I sometimes get creeped out. Is there any suggestion or do you have any knowledge that this house is haunted? You're telling I think you told me earlier that in that your your obligation might differ from state to state. Now, you're licensed in two states, New Hampshire and Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Explained to us, Yeah, so in New Hampshire you do have to disclose if there has been quote unquote paranormal activity. I don't know what to finition of that is specifically in Massachusetts, Apparently it's that some kind of psychological effect has happened to whoever was living there. They had some kind of psychological impact. I don't know if that's the same in Hampshire, but it's apparently it's if the seller tells you, yes, we've seen para normal activity, you do have to disclose that to a buyer and hanswer. In Massachusetts, it's not even that's not even in my purview. I don't answer that question, you know, if someone died. On the other hand, if someone asked me if someone died there, then I and I do know for a fact I need to answer that question. But a buyer has to ask me specifically.
Speaker 3: Okay, so does if the buyer says to you, gee, I think that I read that someone might have been killed here. Does the difference between someone dying of natural causes and someone dying Yeah, in a difference at a circumstances? Does that change the question?
Speaker 4: In Massachusetts it doesn't. It's still if it's a either a haunted property, a death or a stigmatized property, which means a significant event occurred there that could possibly devalue the property. You don't have to disclose any of that. It's up to the buyer to do the buyer's own due diligence. Now, in the state of New Hampshire, on the other hand, if there was a potentially like a murder or something that made the news that everyone's.
Speaker 2: Aware of.
Speaker 4: That and then stay an out of sea fire came like, wow, this is a beautiful farmhouse. Little do they know there was you know, like a triple homicide there or something, then you would need to disclose that. But in the state of Massachusetts you.
Speaker 3: Do not need to, Okay, So it differs from state to state, and there's an affirmative obligation, more of an affirmative obligation on you in New Hampshire than in Massachusetts. In your experiences are real to how long often do either or one of these questions you actually arise? Not often?
Speaker 4: I assume right, no, not often, And I think that most people who because there's the people that buy old houses love old houses. You know, if you like newer construction properties, they're not going to go and buy a house from eighteen twenty five. It's just not something you're going to want to do. So in order to buy an older house. You're going to have to love older houses. And a lot of the people that go to buy these properties they know what they're getting Excuse me, they know what they're getting into. Haven't had buyers ask me as a buyer's agent before, like do you think anyone died here?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Yeah, every once in a while, but it was never really like a serious question.
Speaker 3: Gotcha? Okay, Well, my guest is Rachael Person. Tomorrow's Halloween, and we thought it might be an interesting idea to talk about haunted homes or haunted houses, So if you would like to join the conversation, if you've had an experience with a haunted house. I had a friend of mine who I mentioned, I think last night on the show, who was convinced that the house that he grew up in he saw a paranormal set of circumstances are he thought a human like figure who disappeared? Which could you could you know? I think you know spook someone out? Feel free to call six one seven two thirty six one seven, nine, three, ten thirty. Have you ever lived in a home where you had been told hey, you may you may not be alone here, your family may not be alone here. Love to compare some notes here with Rachel Person on night Side. This is just kind of lightening up a little bit. We've had a lot of serious conversations this week, and we'll get back to some politics in the in the final hour tonight, but I'd like to just lighten it up a little bit. If you've ever looked at a home and was told, hey, here's something really bad happened, feel free to join the conversation as well. We'll be back with Rachel Person some phone calls, I hope right after this.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ the News Radio.
Speaker 3: My guess is Rachel Person. She's a realtor based in Newburyport, but sells homes and in both Northern Massachusetts, I assume pretty much anywhere in Massachusetts and also New Hampshire. Licensed in both states. Standards are a little bit different sounds to me, Like in New Hampshire they acknowledge that, yeah, there can be paranormal activity in a home, and if you are asked about that again, the burden is upon the buyer to ask you the question. As I understand that, is that correct.
Speaker 4: Rachel, Yeah, with almost everything when you buy a home in Massachusetts, not just paranormal activity like anything, it's the buyer's obligation or the buyer's agents to do their due diligence, whether that be to check with city Hall to make sure that there's no open permits and that the permits have been closed to you know, if there's an easement, or to review the documents. It's all on you as the buyer and your buyer's agent. So it's important that you have someone that knows what they're doing because if you don't review those things and you miss something, then you're kind of up up a stream with down a paddle, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yep, No, I totally get what you mean. But it's interesting because obviously there's a lot of information that will be kept at somewhere in the official files, you know, of something dealing with real estate transactions, obviously, registry of deeds, et cetera. But the real question that I think people might be interested and again, is this quote unquote paranormal activity and there's no there's there's no play. You're never going to find at a registry of deeds. Oh yeah, there was peril normal activity in this home back in the nineteen forties. So those of you who have ever dealt with that, feel free to give us a call. In the meantime, let us go north of the border to Daryl in New Brunswick up in Canada and find out what he would like to contribute to the conversation. Daryl, welcome to nights.
Speaker 1: I go right ahead, hey man, and welcome hello to your guests.
Speaker 3: I forgot her name, Rachel, Rachel Chel.
Speaker 1: Hello. I actually have an old house, an old brick house, basement six foot boulder foundation, two ten foot floors, old brick. He was built in eighteen eighty nine and then a third floor. I was told at one time this property was used as a church and a hospital, and that there could be certain burials in the basement.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, and so.
Speaker 1: It's again. All you do is it's all rumors, and if need be, I can get it checked out with the one of those ground penetrating things right.
Speaker 3: Ironically, you know, I let me ask you this, when you bought this this property, Daryl, we were you appraised of this? Were you told that or have you learned about it subsequently?
Speaker 1: I really didn't care. The price was so good, but at the same time.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fine. So you bought the you bought the house, and so now what you're trying to figure out is how can you find out which of these rumors are true in which are not true? Correct?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Correct your own question that that you're not going to dig up your basement. I don't think I would, hope not.
Speaker 1: Its floor a dirt floor.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if you Okay, I don't know how if you want if you think that they're they were the remains of individuals buried there, are you looking at something you want to know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this is a question. Would you actually have to pass this on to information?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: But we were going with the haunted aspect as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Darrel, let me try. Let me first of all say this, Rachel is not licensed as a realtor in New Brunswick, Canada. Knowing Canada as I know it, I suspect that deal laws are probably a little more stringent than ours. But that's just a guess.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm not looking I'm not looking to sell though. It's just a question if you would have to let people know if you knew.
Speaker 3: I don't know that Rachel can answer that question. Canada.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, we're talking in your area, I guess.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, So if there were potential human remains on the property, that's a great question. I don't don't know the answer to that, because you know, I mean, under what I know about the laws, I don't. I don't think so. But it could be considered some kind of environmental issue. That's a that's an issue.
Speaker 5: If that came up.
Speaker 4: My first call would be to a real estate attorney to ask them, because I've never had that question.
Speaker 3: They as before, well, again, if it was in Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: And you would say no, probably yeah, well no, if you.
Speaker 3: Knew there were human remains buried under a dirt cellar floor. It seems to me that if someone asked you, had anyone died in this property?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you have to tell.
Speaker 3: Them that the circumstances that the death would be. I think every one of these situations there would be a little different, is what I'm trying to get at. And I would suspect that if you went to you must have in Canada. I assume some uh, some real estate lawyers or registries of deeds where you could go and just inquire about that.
Speaker 1: True, Yeah, true, I'm just going to talk to the local people I know in the RCMP, and then they can do a GP ground pending greater right.
Speaker 3: Again, depending upon how long someone had been buried and what condition they were buried in, it's conceivable that if they were buried there two hundred years ago, everything you know, you know, could could have turned to dust Thereyl. Well, you know, I don't know enough about the r MCP radar capacities, but yeah, that's that's a place that you should start. Absolutely. Well.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not calling about the advice party. We're talking about Halloween and the haunted part. Yeah, and so I was just calling in to help up.
Speaker 3: Well, thank thank you very much. I appreciate it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Did you know when you bought you when you you told me that you didn't care when you bought the house. Uh, and you subsequently learned that there might be bodies buried and you have a dirt base.
Speaker 1: Well, no, we're talking about possible being a hospital at one time, possibly people that were still born.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yeah, okay, yeah, gotcha, gotcha. Okay, and wait, thanks after I bought it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I only paid twenty thousand dollars for the house, so it's pretty much.
Speaker 3: You still would you still would have bought it? Okay, Thanks Dale, appreciate the call, interesting questions as always, Thank you very much, Darryl. We got to take a quick break. Rachel. You stay right there. We got Julie in Arlington, Mike and Rossendale, John and Quincy. If you'd like to join and ask a question or if you've had an experience with either a real estate transaction or a haunted house six one seven, two thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty back after this.
Speaker 2: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 3: My guest is Rachel Person. She's a real realtor. What's the difference between a realtor and a real estate agent?
Speaker 4: Rachel being a member of the National Association of Realtors, and we have a specific code ethics that we have to follow.
Speaker 3: Gotcha. Okay? I know that's kind of knew the answer to that question, but I wanted to emphasize your status. And we're talking about haunted home. So let's keep rolling here and see what people have to contribute to the conversation. We're going to go next to Julie and Arlington. Julie, welcome to night side. You're on with Rachel Person. Go right ahead, Julie.
Speaker 5: Hi, Dan, nice talking with you. It's been a.
Speaker 1: While, Yes it has, Julie.
Speaker 3: Where have you hi?
Speaker 5: Rachel? Hello? I have two really fascinating stories on this topic. One was in the state of Massachusetts and one is outside of the state of mass The one outside of the state of mass I have a friend who is so sensitive to the paranormal that if she travels in Europe or anywhere, she cannot stay in one of these older castles. She can't sleep all night. She's just one of these magnets where anything floating around is going to come to her keep her up all night. It's it's it's fascinating because I never feel anything right, so I would never understand it. But she's legit anyhow.
Speaker 3: She do you, Julie, do you think she's more sensitive to it or do you think she is just I don't know. I hate to use the phrase of faking it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, not faking it. If anything, she might be vulnerable to it, and so she's more easily.
Speaker 6: Entered.
Speaker 5: You know again, this is will sounds so sci fi. Anyhow, she bought a condo in a downtown area of an upscale urban area, and I visited her and I slept in her front room on the couch, and she was in her bedroom and I had no problems. And she confided to me that she says, I have difficulty sleeping in that bedroom and I never felt the thing. So she meets up with the previous owner, who happened to be a Catholic priest at a benefit, and she said, father, you know such and such happened and I feel this, and I said, and she said, his eyes opened with terror, and he says, God be with you, know, God be with you, my child, and he walked away. So and he's lived in this something's up. And so then she tells me she says she felt like this angry young African American man jump on her in the middle of the night and she's like, get off of me, and he was angry. So she reaches out to the neighbor across the hall and she says, with someone murdered here or someone who killed her, I feel this angry. And they said, oh, we didn't want to tell you, but yes, there was a murder here and it was this young African American. So she's so frightened.
Speaker 3: At this point, she a young African American, was the victim.
Speaker 5: The victim, right, and so so she sells the home and she she happened to be driving down the alley one hot summer night and the people that bought it were sleeping out on their deck.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it was because it was or.
Speaker 5: Because they couldn't sleep in the bedroom. So so that was just one really interest.
Speaker 3: So she's convinced that the person who had been killed it was it sounds it was this a house or a condo.
Speaker 5: It was a condo murder instance in that bedroom.
Speaker 3: In that and and that the spirit of the victim, the young African American male, yes, was there and somehow.
Speaker 5: Maybe I don't know the story. As soon as she heard you know, yes there actually was a murder, but we didn't want to tell you that, you know, because you're the new Nate residence.
Speaker 3: What did she did she sell the house? Did she say?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: The priest before her didn't Anita did she? So so that was that, and I don't know what.
Speaker 3: The laws were there. This was not in Massachusetts.
Speaker 5: No, that was not in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 5: So then my second story is in my building, I lived in the back bay and an old brownstone one hundred plus years old, and I lived on an upper floor. And I had a very good friend that lived in the in the lowest level floor. And she was gorgeous, gorgeous girl, very athletic, beautiful girl. And she said when she moved in, she said she had one of those floor to ceiling mirrors, and she had it in a closet and she says, you know, she says, I thought I saw a flash go by, you know, like just a flash, and she thought, oh, she blew it off. And then she looks in this closet and all of a sudden, this mirror steamed up. There's no steam, there's no nothing going on. So she's so tough and so confident. She stuck out her hand and said, well, spirit, it looks like we're going to be neighbors. And I hope we get along just fine living together. And she was never affected by it. So fast forward several years later, a good friend of mine moves in there and she starts telling me that she feels off, like something's wrong, something's wrong. She was getting really unwell and she didn't know why. She couldn't pinpoint it and you know some of my background with my travels to China and meeting a grandmaster of Chigong, and at the time I was working with him, and he happened to be there and he said, have her come up and I'll scan her and see what I see. And he's scanning her, and I'll never forget this because he was not a man who was easily frightened. He's scanning her body from head to toe with his hands, and all of a sudden, he just froze and his eyes were like saucers. He looked frightened. And he says he and he starts holding and his hands starts shaking, and he says, open up your front door, you know, of my condo. So I opened up my front door. He says, now go downstairs and open up the front door. And he went down the steps of stairs and I opened up the front door, and he walked down the street and expelled that spirit. And he said, your friend knows you big time. I've only done that once before in my life and exorcism. So you know, if I didn't see these things with my own eyes, I would never believe it.
Speaker 1: And she was fine ever since.
Speaker 5: So those are my two stories, Rachel, I think.
Speaker 3: Those those stories are worth the price of admission. Those are those stories?
Speaker 5: Sure, so those are right stories. So shake hands.
Speaker 3: I happened to know this fall. She's a very intelligent woman, and she's not somebody who is naive in any way, shape or form. But if she would tell those stories in that way, believe me, they are they are what she witnessed. Trust me on that.
Speaker 5: Halloween's story anyway.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so well, thank you, Dian.
Speaker 5: Nice talking with you and good.
Speaker 3: To talk with you. Julie.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, bye bye.
Speaker 3: All right, yeah, okay, yeah, this that I think there's stuff out there. Okay, you know I'm I'm not a skeptic. I'm not a cynic. I can't prove it, but I certainly when you hear stories like that, you think to yourself, there's more than than maybe what we know. Let's go to John and Quincy. See what John has to say. Hey, John, walking with Rachel. Person who's a real to hear in Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: Welcome, Thanks, always a pleasure to Dean. I hope to well. I like Tamali. You might want to swing down a cake. I'll free golf lisson.
Speaker 3: But I'm hopeless. I'm hopeless.
Speaker 1: You're a hell of a hockey player, not a bad baseball player. Speaking of which, the eighties are of four or five nothing. I'm was hoping they wouldn't so they'd be playing on All Saints Dale Soulsday Friday. But there's still we'll.
Speaker 3: See about that. I'm really not worried about that, because that's kind of my competition today. John, what's your question or comment or story for the recial.
Speaker 1: Person houses go? You can do like research and all that other stuff. He is, but like the gentlemen said, they were bodies, very possibly still borns. But it's in Canada he's talking about. Was he talking about New Brunswick and Nova Schools?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's up in New Brunswick, So I don't know what the rules of the road up are in New Hampshire, but I'm sure that the same technical capabilities that we have here my fourth Canada is not a third world country.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, oh thank god, and he can hand bend it and I'll be more than happy to ship the people up in terminally. But that being said, he paid twenty grand. If I can look exchange rate on Canadian American, will he take twenty grand back Canadian. But I believe in that stuff too, like they have those turn chairs. And I'm not a skeptical psychic, but you see these shows on the History Channel and the guys got like night visions and they see these ghosts and so forth and so on, So who knows, there could be something there. But when he said people being buried, my first thought was, remember when the Titanic sank and a lot of those people ended up up there and that's why we get the Christmas tree from Nova Scotia and stuff.
Speaker 3: But well, that was the Christmas tree from Nova Scotia. I think they had they had some sort of disaster up in Halifax, and I think we sent some aid up and that's that's their way of faking us every year. Would you let me ask you this, John, if if you found a house that you liked and you lost the realtor, is this house you know, haunted or or has anything bad happened here? And Rachel's the realtor Rachel in Massachusetts. The rules of the road. If he said is the house haunted whether you know or not? As a real to we don't almost recognize that as reality. So you're not obligating to answer that. But if he said to you, has there been a death to this house and you knew, let us say that they have been a murder five years ago or ten years ago, you would be obligated, as I understand that on the Lower Massachusetts to disclose right right, Well, you're.
Speaker 1: An attorney and she's a real estate agent. I can appreciate that. Like somebody told me, you'd appreciate this Daniel lawyer as well. And she said, if the pots thinks, you, don't stir it. But on the other side of the corner, guy that grew up with my dad, they both World War two guys. One guy went to the bus and police. My father went to the bus and fight it turned down the troopers. Thank god, he's good. They're in a hot mess. But that being said, he said, you never voluntary information, and no, But what's.
Speaker 3: The ploy of making John?
Speaker 1: My point is you're always better off being buying a bad house and a great neighbor good than a good house and a bad you know what I'm saying the opposite side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, no. But the point I think you missed the point of what I was trying to make. The point I'm trying to make not only to you but to the audience, is that if if you were buying this house from Rachel in Massachusetts and you missed her, was there has this house and she knew about it? Has a murder occurred in this house and she knew about it? She would be obligated to tell you.
Speaker 4: Correct, Rachel, I'm not necessary. I don't know if I have to disclose that it was a murderer, I have to disclose that someone died in the home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so, but let's assume that whatever. So, John, my question to you, John, John, as there as the buyer here and you liked the house, would that dissuade you from buying the house?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Here's my sore. Sorry, So when you when you do get a purchase and sale agreement in today's market, you know ninety some of the people are pre approved. There is a certain laws in Massachusetts, Canada. I'm not sure you know you know you have you can we send that No.
Speaker 3: We would you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, do me a favorite John, just would be I would.
Speaker 1: Buy I would buy it because I would, so.
Speaker 3: You would not be you would not be be scared off from purchasing the only.
Speaker 1: Way I would back out of it. The only way I would back out of it is like maybe years later, like you find this out, like it could have been a hospital, still bonds of this and that, but like do they have a full basement there or is it like a call space or what's the deal? Is it a foundation?
Speaker 3: I don't know about the house in New Brunswick. You're going back to the house in New Friendswick. I have simply described it as a drift floor. And he's not on the line with us. My my interest is hearing you say that, yeah, you would buy the house if you like the house. Rachel, from your experience as a realtor, Uh, have people asked you this question before and you had to answer the question?
Speaker 4: I personally haven't, But I asked my mom and she said that she has had asked people asked before, and she said, well, you know, it's in the state sale and the father did die here of natural causes, and the son did also die here of natural causes. And the buyer said, thank you very much, we're all set and turned around and walked away.
Speaker 3: So you're saying that John would be the exception of the most of the people. Yeah, I don't know. Interesting, it's most people are never going to first of all, asked the question, most houses do not have any sort of a violent death occur? Obviously in older houses, as Rachel has said, now the chances, the probability are in a house that's a couple of hundred years old that back in the in the old days, people weren't rushed to the hospital. They died in their bed, right.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why they called it the powa like a funeral pollow, because they have to wake in the in the living room.
Speaker 3: I learned something there. Okay, now I had not been y.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they put people in the living room to see if they woke up. And oftentimes if you go into older houses, you'll see that there's like an indent in the staircase that a lot of people now they'll put like vases or whatever. And that's called a coffin corner. So that when they would go upstairs to the second floor to go retrieve a body, to say, you get a coffin down the stairs.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's interesting when you use the word coffin corner. In football, when a kicker is able to put the ball, a puncher is able to put the ball out like inside the five yard line. The announcers used to refer to it as the coffin corner. We're learning a lot here, Hey John, I hate to do this to your buddy, but we're run out of town. Great call, Thank you, tell you this.
Speaker 1: I'll have you. I'll have you hit in a wedge within five feet of that coffin corner and you won't have to worry about second a putt because you will and you owe me a bit, all.
Speaker 3: Right, John, I'll take that up on it, Thanks man, doctor John, Thank you. Uh, we've got to take a little break. I got worn and fall River calling up and we'll be back on night side. I could probably fit another call or too in if you want to be a vent some six months, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine three, one ten thirty. My guess, Rachel person, we're talking about again. This is Halloween Eve, the night before Halloween, and we're talking about haunted homes. And if you were to buy a home or be interested in a home that you liked, and all of a sudden you found out that someone had died unexpectedly, there with that dissuade you from following through uh on the on the purchase, I think where you can see we have different reactions from different people. Will be right back on Nightside.
Speaker 2: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 3: Back to the phones, we go for Rachel Person, realtor from Newburyport who was licensed to sell homes, particularly antique homes, and uh, well that's part of her specialty here in Massachusetts and New Hampshire. War and next on Nightside, go on hits her.
Speaker 6: Hey Rachel, Hey, Dan, Hey, We're gonna like this story. I I grew up in Marlborough, in Marlboro, mass in a mansion that was haunted.
Speaker 1: The house was.
Speaker 6: Built in eighteen ninety six, all right, It had a made quarters and it had all the actually had a belts in it too, all right. And my father got the got the mansion and two and a half aches of land back in nineteen seventy five for eighty thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow. How many square feet in the mansion did?
Speaker 6: I can't venture? I guess I counted the rooms in it. It was like twenty six rooms.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But anyways, but the story goes, you know, is like the people that lived before us, before we moved in, there were a group of devil worshipers. So every door, every door led to the outside had an upside down red cross over it. And yeah, we've had freaky things happen in it, like we had we have like back stairways to the third floor where you would literally hear someone going up and down the stairs and chuck the stairs and no one would be on there.
Speaker 3: Did this freak you out as a kid before?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: God, yeah, oh yeah, it freaked us out as a kid. You know, we actually would have bats in the house. You know, we would get a bat lying in a in the second floor hallway and you know, going back and forth and all stuff like that. And you know, one day, my sister was having her friends over for us over and three point thirty in the morning, we hear a horrible scream from come down, come from the downstairs, and one of the bats is on her girlfriend's heads.
Speaker 3: I can understand why you would hear us.
Speaker 6: Of course, that course to the sibling. I'm laughing, right, I'm laughing, And you know, and you know her, her sister's friend never came back over the house.
Speaker 3: I didn't understand that. I I yeah, yeah, but how long did you live there? When did you leave there? I mean how?
Speaker 6: Oh god, well we had the like I lived there through my my teenage years and yeah we I probably lived in there for like fifteen years.
Speaker 3: And you sleep well at night, Warren? Did you sleep well at night?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 6: No, you would have there would be cold spots, there would be yeah, stuff like that, and there would be this and that, and you'd wait, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Know, did your dad ever explain to let me ask you why did your dad buy? I mean, it sounds like it was a good investment, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well it would yeah, it would sound like great, great investment, great piece of land. Just that it's always on the dead end street.
Speaker 3: Don't say dead end street here that that would scare me too.
Speaker 6: No, no, but we were on the dead end street where the last house we were actually the last house.
Speaker 1: On the bus.
Speaker 3: Do you have a lot of friends come over, Warren?
Speaker 5: And no?
Speaker 6: Actually no, Actually, you know if you were playing in our yard, yeah, all the new neighborhood kIPS came over and we would play We would actually play baseball in the in the backyard, you know, we would actually, Warren.
Speaker 3: We're flat out of time. But thank you, thank you for that story.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, I hope I'm glad that you enjoyed.
Speaker 3: It, so we sure did. Thanks War, I appreciate it.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: All right to the calls in the line. Unfortunately we've run out of time, Rachel. If folks are looking to purchase an empty comb threw you up in northern Massachusetts, New Hampshire, how can they get in touch with you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, well they If you have TikTok, you can follow me on TikTok at tol person Real Tour, and you can also go to our website. It's my mother and I. It's person and person g r P dot com.
Speaker 1: That wonderful all.
Speaker 3: One word person in person, one word g r u P group the word group dot com. Okay, great, Rachel, thank you very much. You're a good sport and I learned a lot. Thank you so much for joining us tonight.
Speaker 4: Happy Halloween, Yes, happy Halloween to you.
Speaker 3: I don't know how well I'll sleep tonight. Thanks very much, Rachel. All Right, we get back. I'm going to go back to politics and open up the phone lines on the latest UH allegations back and forth between the Trump campaign, the Harris campaign, and now it involves former president by not former president but current President Biden, and allegations of the phrase garbage. I think I think we've hit a low point American politics. Be back on Nightside right after this