Speaker 1: Hey, Carl. Here, we're on a mission to find new fans of the show. I mean, where else can you get real life comedy and horror in one podcast. You can do your part by leaving us a review on iTunes, Spotify or wherever you get Security this Week. Also, you can get an ad free feed by becoming a five dollars a month patron. Go to Patreon dot Security this week dot com and sign up, and don't forget Discord. Discord dot Security this week dot com. Lots of good stuff happening there. Yeah, I think that's it. So on with the podcast. Hey, did you guys know that I took a workshop with Melbrooks?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Yeah, comedy workshop. How do you think we got all those Monday's episodes? No? Basically I was sitting down with Melbrooks and he told me the secret to comedy. Yeah, Dwayne asked me, what's the secret to comic? Go ahead?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, what's the what's the secret timing? I don't get it?
Speaker 2: He that is Carl.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got a lot of stuff to get through today on Security This Week, I'm Carl Franklin, It's Dwayne Leflotte and Patrick Hines. Let's start with identity crisis, novel vulnerabilities leading to Kerberos downgrade, DOS, denial of service, and full domain takeover. This one's awesome.
Speaker 2: So this is the new new thing that's happening. We're going to talk a lot about the identity as a place, that place that gets attacked, and because that's the place that matters the most, we implemented two factor authentication because passwords weren't strong enough. Regular authentication was falling down. So now this is the logical place where the hackers have to attack, because otherwise what are they going to do, like just consider things secure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, once they have your identity, it's game over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because now they can they can log in, right.
Speaker 1: This one's so good though. So good.
Speaker 2: Directory is something that we've kind of moved away whatnot, kind of dramatically moved away from, and many clients moved away from active directory is great, but it makes things convenient, so which is really a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but from a corporate standpoint, one hundred percent of the companies out there aren't moving away from active directory. They're just not doing it. It's too much of a pain in the ass. Normal users aren't gonna understand how to Well, I get to log into my local box with a user and passer that's not used anywhere else and has access to nothing, and then every resource I need to access, I'm gonna use some sort of password management. Like nobody's gonna do it, right, She's not gonna happen, right, And there are all sorts of other ways you can do. You can implement things like zero trust.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna say, Dane, what is the answer to shoring up active directory in the cloud for these companies.
Speaker 3: Should have been built better? Maybe I don't know. I mean, the problem is it's it's very active directory. Is a Patrick trite is convenient, right, but it's it's also been around longer than I don't know, twenty five thirty years, well before just before it was stolen from Novelle and Microsoft Ticket so so anyways, it's been around a long time. So the problem with that is you keep just adding on to it and adding on to it and adding on to it and adding on to it, and there's so much technical debt in there. But unfortunately, you know, thirty years of companies are now built on top of it, so you can't just rip it out.
Speaker 2: I mean it's it's literally single sign on, which we've decided is a bad thing. Single sign on is not a good thing. We need zero trust. Do you see active directory participating in zero trust? Now? It's the athenma to it, isn't it?
Speaker 1: With all these AI tools, couldn't Microsoft just whip up its genie AI guys and say, hey, we want you to rebuild active directory from the bottom up, using the same interface to the customer, but make it more secure and take out all the baroque bs that we don't need anymore.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, I think you could. I think you could. I think it takes time. I don't know. I don't know that anybody would trust, you know, vibe code up active directory yet.
Speaker 1: Well no, I don't mean vibe coding, I mean assisted coding.
Speaker 3: I could see that. I could see that. But this so, this particular case, the way that this was exploited, Right, we talked about denial of service and all sorts of other things. The way this is exploited is you have service principal names in active directory, and those SPNs you know, give you access to resources and all sorts of weird stuff, right, and they're supposed to be unique, right, it'd be weird if my account resolved to my account and Patrick's account at the same time. And what a researcher found is there's I'd have to look back at the article to see the number of it's like three hundred and eighty two unprincipal Unicode characters. They're just they're just they look like spaces. And of those, there's like one hundred and twenty six of them that active directory visa vl tapp doesn't actually recognize but are uniquely different characters.
Speaker 1: But some of them they do.
Speaker 3: So I can take Patrick's account and I can add one of these characters at the end, and an active director will go, yeah, this is a unique object. But then when it goes to verify, right, oh, does Dwayne have access to this account? It goes, well, I got two users here, er uh, and then denial of service happens because I was able to make my you know, for lack of a better term, my unique identifier in active directory look exactly like Patrick's for the filtering it uses for certain functions. Wow, so this is it's a it is a novel attack. There's three different attacks, and here one of them is a denial of service. One of them is a pre vesque, uh, where you can just yeah, you can jump straight to DA. And that's what we're usually looking for, is right, can you get to DA and how quickly can you get there? So this, this is an interesting find, honestly, this this I really love these clever kind of finds.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: There was a while back actually print Nightmare was one of the ones that was just a really kind of interesting cleverifying right. There was another one in the past where any any domain user could go and add five computers for some random reason to active directory and there was all sorts of ways to manipulate that that so there's a lot of cool exploits that can go give you privileged escalation or denial a service or something along those lines. And this, this actually is really kind of unique. It's not being seen in the wild right now. This this researcher obviously, you know, announced it to Microsoft. Microsoft has patched it, so if you're running the latest patches on Microsoft, you are good here. But yeah, no, it's kudos. That's a that's a good find.
Speaker 2: And this is a little bit of a precursor some other things we're going to talk about Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. So if identity is the biggest target, Hacker News says device cod fishing is the fastest growing threat of twenty twenty six. And here are six reasons why. Device code phishing, device code and so is that like when you know you're using two FA and somebody sends a text to you with a code that you have to enter that kind of phishing?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, absolutely, yeah, it's uh and it's it's uh, you know you what, We've all done this, right, yeah, And we talked about this, i think last week because there was another device fishing sort of token based attack we were talking about. You go to Netflix on your TV and it says, hey, do you want to log in with your username and really long password because hopefully you're using a password manager m M. You go, nah, I don't want to do that, and it goes okay, cool. Then just log in on your laptop or on your phone and type this code in right to Netflix. You go, okay, cool, Right, and you go to you go to Netflix and you go to the slash ad device or whatever it is, and you type in the code right, And what you've just done is you have authorized the TV to gain access to your account, right, right, So you've passed the authentication stage. You've already authenticated. I used my username and password on my phone, I used my multi factor authentication I.
Speaker 2: Used and you goun to bridge it to this other device, I.
Speaker 3: Used my my you know, secure keys, whatever. And once I got access to whatever that device is, whatever that service is, I then gave another device access by just typing in six little, six little digits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I get it.
Speaker 2: This isn't quite as bad, but it's it's kind of like the later evolution of you go over to your router and you hit a button and there's a four digit number that you can enter and join your Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, hackers love that because it dramatically weakens the security of having to provide the Wi Fi password. Yeah, and in this case, like in the Wi Fi situation, WPS like we may brute force that, right, there's only so many codes in this particular case, you don't even need to brute force it. All you need to do is con somebody into taking those you know, six little DIDs and typing it into the account. And what's super interesting is when these attacks are executed against you know, mirror mortals right, who aren't like digging into Well, I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Actually logging in. Why would I ever type this code in?
Speaker 1: Whatever it is?
Speaker 3: But at the social engineering level, when you click on the link in an email that comes in or a tax that comes in, or whatever, the website you go to is legitimately Microsoft or legitimately Google or legitimately Netflix or whatever it is. So your password manager is not going to flag it. It's not going to say, oh, I shouldn't type in the username password here because you are at Microsoft.
Speaker 2: But if I go, if I send a message to somebody who's not on guard, who's not savvy to what's going on, and I say, oh, you know, your Netflix is coming up for a review and we'd like to give you a deeper discount. Sure, can you validate that you're still using this account? Here? Go log in and use these six characters to validate it.
Speaker 3: And then you redirect them and then you give them the link that brings them straight to like Netflix dot com, slash you know, TV or whatever link I think is that, or TV or whatever, and they go, okay, cool, click on it, and then they do the log in thing and then they just type in the code and click okay, right, and it will say we've added a device to your account. But most people aren't even reading that deeply. So and a lot of times what will happen is on the back end, the attackers have automated systems waiting for access, and the moment you give them access, they run. It starts, It starts adding different devices, it starts pulling down in from it. I mean, faster than you can deny access to that account.
Speaker 2: Well, and most people don't know how to deny it.
Speaker 1: Apparently. This is number one is it defeats every form of MFA, including passkeys. But number two in this article is that the fast ecosystem has fully industrialized it. In other words, it's it's standard practice.
Speaker 3: Now oh yeah, yeah yeah, and for you convenient. The fast ecosystem, by the way, is the fishing as service, So you know there are a lot of frameworks. Heck, there's a lot of services out there. I used to talk about this, especially on lectures I'd give where I'd say hacking is now commercialized.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't it be pass per fishing fishing?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if you're gonna go with it as PHAs So here from ban Bam so hacking is definitely commercialized. It's definitely you can pay to get ransomware created, you can pay to have it deployed, you can pay to have a troubleshoot, you can pay to have somebody answer the phone when Grandma calls to send bitcoin, et cetera.
Speaker 1: And reading this article, which we linked here in Hacker News, I find it most disturbing. And I'm just guessing I'm inferring from what I see on this page that if you get fished like this, not only will it turn all of your guitars from right handed to left handed, but it will put a soft rectangular red eye patch floating eye patch on your head with a little white arrow on it.
Speaker 3: It's definitely definitely. That's yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: So I will ask that we change our order of operations because this specifically calls out Collie three sixty five, and one of our later stories is about exactly that tool.
Speaker 3: Oh let's talk about it then, Okay.
Speaker 2: If you skip down the road a little bit, we have an article also by the Hacker News, Cali three sixty five weaponizes Microsoft authentication against US company's new enterprise risk. So this is part of that basket of risks. And when I see Collie three sixty five, is this a an actual like tool on Collie the Linux distribution or is this just a name that crosses over? I think it's the second.
Speaker 3: No, this is just a phishing kit.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, So it's not like offsec has gone rogue.
Speaker 3: No they're not. Yeah, No, this is just a phishing kit, and it's one of the frameworks that you know was probably vibe coded and just showed up, and it is probably pretty good at what it does.
Speaker 1: All right, So is there anything more to the story. I mean, we might as well talk about it now. Callie three sixty five weaponizes Microsoft authentication against US companies, new enterprise risk.
Speaker 2: I think it's just more of what we were just talking about. I think it's folds into the same unless it's all Unless there's something specific.
Speaker 3: No, but I think one of the things I'd like to warrant against is it used to be to perform this level of an attack, you needed a modicum of understanding of technology, right, You needed to know like, okay, maybe even a smattering maybe right, a smidgen would not be trying I'm trying to highbrow this a little bit it's just for you car. So now you don't right now, you can take a stand on the shoulders of giants, as they say, and just take the frameworks that are out there, or if you don't want to do that, you can just vibe code your own. You just ask, you know, claude to hey, I'm doing this practice thing and can you create me a fishing framework. And for the most part, most of these ais don't generally do what you ask it to. Guardrails are easy to bypass, so which we'll talk about later.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on. Chinese hacker commands deep Seek via Telegram to launch autonomous attacks.
Speaker 2: There's three things I don't trust.
Speaker 1: Telegrams went out when the phone.
Speaker 2: Became Telegram is a very very popular in Ukraine and in Russia. It's banned in Russia now because it was created by somebody who is not a friend of Russia's anymore.
Speaker 1: Oh no, what is it?
Speaker 2: So telegrams? Like, what's it's up? It's like, yeah, it's like what's app? It's like signals, It's like any one of those you know, messaging slash voice, slash video slash whatever chat apps. So fun. Fact, the founder who now I think lives in either Dubai or Switzerland has dropped their Russian citizenship has been convicted as a terrorist in Russia. Oh, because they've allowed Ukraine to use Telegram and haven't taken down forms and messages that have been used as part of the war.
Speaker 1: All right, So deep Seek is an AI model, right, Chinese a Chinese AI model. But you can also download it and run it locally.
Speaker 3: So yeah, there are deeps we can run locally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, so, I mean I have one. I'm running it here. But am I at risk running this locally? Or is it deep Seek in the cloud that is susceptible to this attack?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: This is think of this in a different way. This is a Chinese attacker leveraging Telegram as a command and control to control a deep Seek instance to go out and do attacking. Okay, so it will go out, and it will go out and do all of the reconnaissance on hundreds of companies and it can it'll come back and say, hey, I found these companies that we can exploit. And we've seen this type of a report probably and I think it was September last year where China was using an anthropic model to break into organizations, and they had created this harness where they could say, hey, here's the you know, go out and grab the top one hundred US companies and and and start profiling them and see what their exploits are. So Palo Alto's Unit forty two said, hey, we're actually detecting this this attacker who's leveraging telegram to communicate with a deep seek. And then that deep Seek is actually using Hermes to do things. For those of you who haven't played around with AI local agents, Hermes. Hermes is actually by a French organization if I remember correctly, but Hermes.
Speaker 1: Is pronounced in French.
Speaker 3: I'm not even gonna try.
Speaker 2: They'll revote.
Speaker 3: I can't do it. I can't do it. Ohmy Hermes, it's yeah. Anyways, So, needless to say, you all heard of open Claw, right, which was one of the first agents that really kind of got a lot of hype around. It would leverage llms and it could do stuff right hands, Yeah, exactly, that's a.
Speaker 1: Great question harness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and Hermes is one of them.
Speaker 2: Let me take that one real quick. So, so you have the model, which is the l M at the heart of this thing, and there's been a lot of hype about oh, GPT, this GPT, that claude this, claude that the model is the prediction engine that says, based on this, this is the next word, right, and then that's the next word, and that's next word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's stateless and done.
Speaker 2: We've been using harnesses since we moved off of chat and into agentic AI, and the harness is the thing that controls the loops and the pointing and the tool use in all the memory and all that, all the things, all the things like memory that make it useful outside of answering questions about Wagner and composing odes to grilled cheese sandwiches.
Speaker 1: Don't have any idea what you're talking about. He's just making stuff, Wagner, you.
Speaker 2: Know what sandwiches? That okay? Anyway, So the thing is, in the last round we've gotten diminishing returns on the model, and so that the hyperscalers and the open weight companies have been competing on the harness and it's indistinguishable to most people because they don't see the difference, but the model can get.
Speaker 1: That's where the innovation is going on, is exactly.
Speaker 2: And they're finding that just change the same model with a different harness can make a twenty different point swing on some of these these standards that they're measuring against. And of course all these ais are testing against their training for the test. They're trying to make them better at the test. But if you find that the AI that you're using agentically uses tools well, answers questions correctly, doesn't hallucinate so much, you know, can can correct itself, then it's the harness that's really making the big difference, and that's where the competition is. Now. One other thing I want to say here is Deep Seek and all these open weight models and open weight models. When you can download and run on your own stuff. You can't download mythos and run it on your own stuff. You've got to run it against the horse.
Speaker 3: You have enough money, Okay, let's not.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: The latest version of Kimmy Kimmy three by Moonshot, another Chinese company, it would take a million dollars in GPUs to run it, So the average person's not downloading that.
Speaker 1: They context is kim a model or a harness?
Speaker 2: Kimmy is is exactly like Deep Seek. It's another it's a model plus harness. It's another AI company, but they're the latest one that came out. They're the they're the most powerful Chinese model that released, is releasing his open Weight. But understand, what I'm trying to help you understand is this hacker either has enormous resources, or is hacking into and stealing from someone who has enormous resources to run deep Seek, or they're using the actual official deep Seek right to hack, or finally, they have millions of dollars in they're hosting their own modern verse. It's another thing is they could be using a much older version of Deep Sea Sure, and it's not as enabled. It's not as capable as it seems. It's just they happen to be using it.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Interestingly enough, we have found some of the less capable models are more willing to do bad things. I'll leave it at that, because they're down and out on everybody's talking about Methos and you're like, come here, Haiku, put your armor on. Haiku. You're like, let's do some fun things.
Speaker 2: You're just as smart.
Speaker 3: To that house down. Hiku's like, yeah, it runs over you know, but it only.
Speaker 1: Does it if you specify the prompt in Haiku.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, well you know, it's who has a very complex relationship with its father.
Speaker 1: All right, shall we do some good news before we break?
Speaker 3: Let's do some good news?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: We have there is none so.
Speaker 1: Quick. Three recent Chrome releases fix one forty two flaws, more than prior to twenty three updates combined. And this is a direct result, as we were talking about in the last few episodes, of these companies using mythos you.
Speaker 2: Know, and other advanced models to find the vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Gemini have another advanced models that only they have access to to do bug fixes. Microsoft last week was in.
Speaker 2: The news as intimidating as this is. This is not the train wreck that I thought.
Speaker 1: It would be. No, it's good news because.
Speaker 2: We did have anthropic go and say, hey, we're going to take this advanced model and use it to find these bugs. And I think it's a definite net good that they're using them to find the bugs exactly. But understand, there's still a race on that people are using models to find bugs that haven't yet been found, because in a month, there's going to be another thousand bugs that haven't been found yet.
Speaker 3: In a month.
Speaker 2: You're so cute, Well, next Tuesday, next Tuesday.
Speaker 1: You see the people. You say, people are using this to find bugs and expect them, but AI models are using truths, are using them to sin and exploit as they are out coming up.
Speaker 2: I would rather be hacked by a model that's trying to pass a benchmark than by Chinese hackers. Okay, there's a difference in intent and the purpose of it. I would rather have someone.
Speaker 1: At least the models understand English.
Speaker 2: I would rather have someone cryptomnd my system if they broke into it, than ransomware. Sure, so there's levels of hell.
Speaker 1: Especially if Dwayne can get access to how they did it and make it a story on Security this week, and then we'd all be friends.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, exactly, exactly, that's what honeypots are for.
Speaker 3: Making friends, making friends on the Internet.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the eight hour episode of.
Speaker 1: Yeah and with those unicorns and rainbows. Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back after these very important messages, and we're back. It's Security this Week. I'm Carl Franklin. That's Patrick Hines and Dwaye Laflotte and moving on here, we have what five, six, six more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the last three are kind of the same story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, good enough. Hey, we've been talking about Hotel Wi Fi and how much it sucks and how much you shouldn't trust it. Huh. So here's another.
Speaker 2: Happy Unless you're one of our targets, then please trust Yeah, then then always trust the open Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: Here's another story in that vein hijacked Hotel Wi Fi pushes fake updates to deliver surveillance malware. So apparently what you're in your room, you're about to relax, you know, with the latest episode of whatever you're watching, and you turn it on and all of a sudden, some thing pops up and says, hey, you need to update Windows or whatever you're using. Click here, and you click, and now you've got surveillance malware.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, which is nice. You see you got that going for you. So yeah, So this campaign is called captive Crunch, and.
Speaker 2: Captive Crunch I love it isn't it isn't the rat called cornflake. It is.
Speaker 3: It's called cornflake. I don't know, We're not making this up. It's in the story. But anyways, so this has been attributed to Storm two nine four five, which is a Russian APT I don't think we've defined apt in a little.
Speaker 2: While I can advance persistent threat.
Speaker 3: Yes, so an advanced persistent threat a hacking group, like Carl had said, and APT is a little bit more savvy swarthy. I don't know one of the s words.
Speaker 2: It's more like a global security entity. It's a company or a group of individuals that either work for other countries or highly financially Russia, China, maybe the United States, the sponsored kind of thing, or they working for billion dollar enterprises.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they have, They've reached sources. So an APT is not like, you know.
Speaker 2: Two guys in a basement.
Speaker 3: It's exactly, it's an organization that has access.
Speaker 1: Is that your retirement plan?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, find an ATP billionaire you need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good look getting there, or an island anyways. So uh yeah, needless to say. This is uh, this harkens to be a clickfix command. So manipulate DNS on the servers. Uh, you know, pops up on your browsers says oh my god, you gotta update your browser whatever it is. Run this command. When it does that, you infect yourself, which is nice. But then now it's cuts out the middleman, open webcam, open mic records, keystrokes, steals Chrome cookies.
Speaker 1: All another reason why you should just tether your phone or get a MA Fi device when you go, yes, travel anywhere, yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or have a VPN that's automatic through a device, right, a tails device or something.
Speaker 3: I would rather Yeah, I would rather tether my phone. I Actually, well it used to be you'd say, if they've compromised the telephone network, then you know we're in trouble. Although that's happened three times over the last year, but at least it's rarer. Yes, let's put it that way, that that they're going to compromise an entire teleco network.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, but if you do both, if you have a VPN through your phone or am I fight device, yep, that's the best of all worlds.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I find sometimes a hotel Wi Fi doesn't like VPNs there for some things.
Speaker 2: Oh it's because that you won't take their updates.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless you click and allow it and it likes you a lot then yeah.
Speaker 1: And you wonder why you get those free chocolates delivered to your room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, how's the how is the cleaning staff going to know when you're not in your roof? They can't see you through your computer's camera.
Speaker 1: That's true, right, if you think about it. Yeah, so don't think about it unencumbered by the thought, you know, and s whatch you should be. All right, let's move on. Google password manager attacks could let malware hijack passkey protected accounts. Wasn't this one of those things fixed in the fourteen and fourteen forty two flaws?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was. This is another If you're patching, you're you're probably okay. It's just you know, we won't go into a ton of detail here, but it's just it's an interesting, you know, article on Hey listen, as they're going through and finding these issues. Internally, we're seeing you know, Google actually detecting a lot of these issues using Gemini right right, right, So you know, we're seeing Microsoft and Google and all sorts of organizations out there using AI and discovering some of these bugs that have been sitting inside of you know, the browser for thirteen years and going ooh, yeah, here's a script that actually would do X. Let's fix this. You know what's funny is, you know, we we talk a lot about AI offense versus AI defense, right, and we say, listen, AI defense has to get every single attack right, right. But AI offense only has to get one attack right, and when it gets access, you're in trouble. And then if you look at the you know, the the ratio there, it's almost impossible for an AI defender to successfully defend against AI attacking right because an AI attack can give out billions of attacks, where the AA defender would then have to reason out whether they're attacks or legitimate traffic. I think what we're seeing is large companies realize that, right, Google realizes that. Microsoft realizes that. So what they're doing is they're saying, we're going to do AI defense in terms of AI offense. We're going to use AI offensively against our stuff and that's good and try hopefully discover things before the attackers do, which is a great way to do it.
Speaker 1: That's sort of sort of AI pen testing exactly.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, you guys are out of business now.
Speaker 2: We've been saying that for a lot long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me tell you about my AI Uh yeah, it's impressive.
Speaker 1: Right, all right, all right, we moved on.
Speaker 3: We've moved on.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kiev linked NPM worm poisons hundreds of packages, plants, claud code and vs code hooks, and Kiev linked is k E y v dash linked l I n k e d Yikeuse that doesn't sound good.
Speaker 3: No, it's fine, It's okay, it's it's it's it is. It is awesome. I mean an n PM. N PM is a package manager right.
Speaker 1: Right for JavaScript? What's up for JavaScript? Yeah?
Speaker 3: For JavaScript? Right pie Pie is a package manager for Python right in a library where you can download Python libraries. So it's not uncommon to see these repositories, you know, get compromised from here to you know, occasionally. We we've even seen it where AI recommends libraries that don't exist, so attackers will go, oh, we see the top ones that are getting recommended. Let's just go create a malicious ones that you'll automatically pull them in. And we'll actually see that in some of our latter three stories as well. So, yeah, there was a malicious, malicious, credential stealing NPM worm that first appeared in k E y v y version six dot keep version six dot zero dot zero, and that's you know, obviously been been patched since. But yeah, yeah, patching was the first problem. Wait, aren't you supposed to patch always always.
Speaker 2: Not when it's poisoned poison patch.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but we still recommend people patch. Yeah, I know all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. I mean honestly, it's like it's like the people who complain about wearing a seatbelt, Like there's this story about somebody who died because they're wearing their seatbelt. It's like, yeah, but you don't see the stories that people.
Speaker 2: Doctor says, I should eat lettuce, but this doesn't sound like a good time eat let us.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, speaking of that, my trombone player couldn't make it too rehearsal because he's had the taco bell let us disease for the last three weeks. So we have a gig next weekend.
Speaker 2: I think you have a gig next weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, maybe tromboneless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, poor guy, that's brutal. Yeah, that's horrible. At thousands of thousands of people now have that.
Speaker 3: So wow.
Speaker 2: So just because it's recommended doesn't mean you to consider the source.
Speaker 1: Think about the odds.
Speaker 3: Right, you're using this now. So he said that you can use it as an excuse not to eat.
Speaker 2: I was just force sight. I just I just prepared for it well in advance.
Speaker 3: Patrick's theatric Remember that guy at time, feed the let us.
Speaker 1: To a ruminant, kill and eat the ruminant, Fine, a little filter. Who cares if the ruminant gets diarrhea, Just kill it and eat it, all right? Uh? Meta AI model hacked a company during misconfigured cyber test. And this is another one of those models going row, which is advertising. This is the Yeah, but the topic of this story is kind of like the whole theme of this program Yeah today. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, there's three stories that basically walk the same line. Meta Medai.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing when the when the company say our model was so bad it broke out of its containment. What they're trying to communicate is it's so powerful. It's so powerful, it's dangerous. It's so bad they have to put a warning on it. You know, it's an Altoid's commercial.
Speaker 1: Well okay, but that doesn't mean that it didn't break out of its containment.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean misconfigured. They that's admitted here at least, but a lot of them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: When you look at the messaging of the AI companies, Open Ai, Meta and Anthropic, it's all like, oh, it's just so powerful, we didn't even know it.
Speaker 3: These last three stories, Yeah, talk about uh, you know, meta breaking out and attacking companies, talk about anthropics, open AI actually targeting in humans and going through and harassing. We'll talk about this, but harassing I get ho open that's open AI and anthropic. Yeah, exactly. So we're seeing a lot of sort of Oh my god's AI is breaking loose. If you dig into sent into these stories, you'll find mention of a company called Irregular. It's actually uh, let me read through real quick right here. So, according to the report, the model reached the public Internet because of an error in configuration of a sandbox testing environment operated with independent cybersecurity evaluation company Irregular. So Irregular is a Israeli cyber security company. Their soul claim to fame is that they test what are called frontier models. Right, so all the models you if you're not running a model on open weight model, you're running a frontier model, right, And if you.
Speaker 2: Pay extra, they'll do it badly.
Speaker 1: So if I'd like to pay for the extra bad service and I'll leave it open to the Internet.
Speaker 2: I would like a story to emerge so that live had a skit where it's like there was a delivery company that you could order something to be delivered and they would say that they delivered it late and lost it, and they would take all the blame. But they're at the center of all this, aren't they. They're they're involved in all of these events, yougular.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's there. They test frontier models and their cyber security capabilities and offense, and they're the ones who are giving it, uh, you know, giving the models the objectives. Oh, go test you know, do the cyber security gym, Go test this, go test this. Here's you know, et cetera. Thousands of different tests we want you to run through and multiple two of the stories we have here. Actually it might maybe all three of the next stories were all about misconfigurations and it's this company irregular that.
Speaker 2: Like I said, costs extra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know if yet. It's a great point.
Speaker 2: Well, when it first happened, it was a big bump in open AI because it was like, oh, wow, their models are so powerful. I honestly wouldn't doubt that this isn't the whole play, This isn't an actual manipulations.
Speaker 3: That's pretty nefarious.
Speaker 2: It's well, if you watch a lot of the if you read a lot of the newsletters, you read a lot of articles. If you watch a lot of the interviews, you very often hear the refrain of I actually know a lot of these founders of these AI companies. And this isn't me saying. This is people who know them, who tell you in private exactly the opposite. Well, what they're telling the audience, and the reason is because they need to tell a story that brings billions and hundreds of billions of dollars of investment in yep. And the truth is more nuanced and different than what they're saying. Think about it this way. When chat GPT came out, they were talking about in the next eighteen months, we're going to have general AI General AI. We don't and it's not even eighteen months away, although they keep promising it. It's not because they're stupid, it's because they're manipulative.
Speaker 1: Well, think about it. I mean, you might you might think, oh, Patrick's got a ten flil hat on and we're just you know, thinking of conspiracy theories. But the whole world economy right now is based on the hype around AI.
Speaker 2: The Magnificent seven.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's absolutely true. If you took AI companies out of the stock market, we'd be in another depression.
Speaker 2: Well it's been a recession then, yeah, not well even even worse. The stock market's down if you take them out. So yeah, I don't think I'm being I'm not I'm being cynical. I don't think I'm.
Speaker 1: Being totally hyperbolic.
Speaker 2: But this is how they're trying to keep the hype engine because the the eight, the IPOs of Open AI and Anthropic are coming and they want them to be magnificent, and some of the news has not been great for them, and this is probably the bright even though it's bad news, it's the bright spot.
Speaker 1: So Irregular is used in all three of these stories and cited in all three of these stories as a partner for environmental testing and all that stuff. So are we blaming Irregular?
Speaker 2: So the competence is up up for question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly if you're if you've taken a frontier model and you've paid to have them test it in an offline, sandboxed way and.
Speaker 2: It keeps breaking out, maybe you should disconnect the wires.
Speaker 3: And it and it breaks out, and you realize, like for this first one, muse spark one dot one breached a real company and changed its internal systems during the test, right, So there there's there's damages potentially here. So from an opening from a meta standpoint, I'd be like, are you serious, Like, dude, I gave you access to this model to test it, and then you let the model out just by not configuring it properly. Like there was no sandbox escape, There was no magic that happened. It just they left the door open.
Speaker 2: Which means a hacker could get in and get the.
Speaker 3: Model potentially right depending on how this actually works, or or manipulate the model. The model was on the internet. We've seen tons of times where a model will go out and read a site and then start taking in prompts from that site. Right, So could it have happened?
Speaker 1: Yes? Is it regular your next new customer to teach them how to secure their stuff.
Speaker 2: I think this bug is a feature you think so you think it was so Patrick thinks it's a it's all staged. I don't think the first were left open on purpose. I don't think the first one was. But I think it's it's it's spreading right to other customers. Now, if you've put a timeline on and you show me that it all happened within a two week period before it became public. Then yeah, I'd take back Mike. I thought, I'm happy to listen to evidence, sure, and change my opinion, But it just seems so convenient that they just keep all having this thing. And again, the way a lot of people interpret this is, oh, my god, that's powerful. I should use that model, right, of course, I'll use guidelines and I'll wait until it's secured, or I can't wait for that model.
Speaker 1: If you're on the other side, oh, this thing is too powerful for mere mortals to use. We should ban it.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, they're trying to walk that thin line, right because they're trying to keep it from getting banned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm cynical.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: I guess. Well, maybe I'm wrong. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it seems a little bit too. I would be infuriated if I ran a company and I had a secret NDA software that you let get on the Internet, because that means the Internet could get into it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, all right, So there's one more in this final trilogy, which is anthropic, says Claude mistook the Open Internet for a CTF and breached three organizations and of course, our friend Irregular is in this story as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, So this is this same configuration issue. Is they were doing testing, they left the door open. There was one incident with Claude Opus four to seven. There was another one with Mythos five that involved it actually creating different pie pipe packages and fifteen different companies actually in an hour pulled down those pie pipe packages and got infected. One of them was a cybersecurity company who flagged it as a Okay, so you know, it's interesting to see that Irregular was really kind of had some pretty big contracts. Good for them, but in this particular case, leaving the leaving the door open didn't help anything.
Speaker 2: I find it to be highly irregular. Yeah, so needless to say.
Speaker 1: At the beginning of the show. Yeah, and it's usually levied me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's a there was. Those were the incidents that involved Irregular. Now, one of the ones we didn't talk about real quick before we leave is open AI Anthropic agents targeted real people this week as well. We won't go into a lot of that story, but what's interesting in that story is it was purposefully given access to the Internet and all of the guardware rails were removed, and they pointed it at a test GitHub and said, yeah, figure out what you can do. And it mistook a real GitHub repo as the target, and it started creating GitHub users and adding patches to the software. And when the person who owned that repo said no, no, no, no, this is malware, it tried to intimidate them. It not only started sending him emails and like intimidating them, but it created a bunch of other GitHub users saying no, this is cool, looks good, like on, know what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: If I were investigating this story, the first thing I would ask is I want to know if the person who issued these prompts was an ESL person English as a second language, huh, and just kind of maybe swapped around some Tensessa labs or whatever, and boom, you've got a vulnerability.
Speaker 2: Left out the word not out of Don't it could?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, who knows? Yeah it is interesting. But this is why you absolutely need to be careful what you're doing with targeting of an LLLM, because we've all seen this, We've all talked to you know, whether it's CHET, GPT or whatever. And I could ask the same question as Carl the same question as Patrick, and we may not get the same answer because it's a statistical model. It's coming back with what at the time it thinks is the most appropriate answer, and it may use.
Speaker 1: Some history and it's nondeterministic.
Speaker 3: Yes, right. It may say, well, I've been talking to Carl, and I know Carl's a musician, and this is how he would want this framed versus me. You know, I'm an amateur radio operator and a martial artist. I might want it in a different way. And Patrick has his military background and he might want it to so statistically it might give us different answers. When you're looking at a tool that's going to cut through, you know, whether it's social engineering, manipulating hardware, breaking into companies and that sort of stuff, you don't want statistical analysis there. You don't want. Oh, I think this is probably a better target. So yeah, I'd be intrigued to see what the what the prompts are here? How do they guarantee when you point that LLM missile it actually hits the right target.
Speaker 1: Before we wrap up, this seems like a good time to plug next weeks or this week's code it with AI video that I do with Rocky Latka, and he talks about he uses claud code most of the time, and claud code keeps memories of things that it gleans during a session in your users folder on Windows or in a different folder and a Linux system, but it keeps it on your machine and all of the memories of things that it learned about. You know, you should always do this, you should never do that that you tell it to remember, but then if you go to another machine, all those memories are gone. So he basically created a damon that runs on your machine that constantly updates and refreshes from a GitHub repo these memories based on your projects. And how cool is that?
Speaker 2: And that's very cool.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, did Rocky work with open ai and all I think there was one of these stories actually that open ai store. We're just talking about it targeting humans. They used a GitHub repo, all the different agents to coordinate.
Speaker 1: But this is a private GitHub repo. Obviously it's not that stupid.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I no, I'm just saying, like, using the tactic of a GitHub as a memory storage location was actually used by this too, which is very interesting.
Speaker 1: It's a great solution to that. Sure because otherwise you have to like configure some cloud endpoints and blah blah blah and write some code and YadA YadA. You know, you could use storage accounts, I suppose, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, living off the land, so.
Speaker 1: But but it's a cool tool that he wrote. And it also has this sort of over compacting on never mind, you just watched the show. It's good. It's coming out this Wednesday at two pm Eastern time, and you can find it on my various social media links.
Speaker 2: Cool. All right, thanks oboy.
Speaker 1: All right, well, that's all the news from last week and we'll see you next week on Security this week. Bye bye,