Speaker 1: From the range to the field. CZ firearms are built to perform when it counts. Known for accuracy, durability, and reliability, CZ stands apart. CZ built for those who demand more. Czfirearms dot Com.
Speaker 2: Forged m lock Ready and I try to Bolt Carrier Group. The Ruger Harrier is completely re engineered for today's shooter. Innovation without compromise comes standard with the Harrier.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to gun Talk, Tom Gresham here. If you want to give us a call, it's easy. Just call me a Tom Talk gun All right, So here's the deal. If we were have a contest in the gun and hunting industry, we're going to submit our entry into the most Interesting Man. I'm going to nominate Tim Soundles from Buffalo Bar Ammunition. Tim, you are the guy. You're there in sam And, Idaho. You make fabulous AMO and you hunt all over the world. So what do you been up to?
Speaker 4: That's fun?
Speaker 5: Well, I've been up to a three legs spinal fusion.
Speaker 4: Oh gee, that sounds like so much fun.
Speaker 6: Well, I had so much.
Speaker 5: I'd broke my back in my twenties and I had so much stenosis building up in my spine. I was in Africa, and I knew something went horribly wrong all of a sudden in my back and what had happened as a facet joint had actually fractured from the stenosis.
Speaker 6: And so here I am in Africa.
Speaker 5: Technically a broken back, and I'm like, oh, I got to get back to the States.
Speaker 6: Something is really wrong.
Speaker 5: Well, we were bombing Iran at the time, and all these African flights go over the Middle East, and so airspace is closed down.
Speaker 6: I'm stuck with a broken back.
Speaker 5: I didn't know if it was broken, but I knew something was bad, and so trying to get back to the States is a real trip. I ended up in Istanbul, and from Istanbul I was able to to catch a flight to Dallas. And you know, once you make it to the States, you can get anywhere you need to go. You ask what I've been doing for fun? I have been teaching a woman and her son. They are Californians. They moved here because they could see what was happening in California, and I've been teaching them a little bit on the AR fifteen and the CIGP three sixty five because that's what she has.
Speaker 4: It's fun to bring somebody into the shooting world, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, And you know you're just, let's face it, the emerging market, the emerging force that should be a bigger force.
Speaker 6: Than it is is the female shooter.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: So I got to ask you, you're trying to figure out exactly how to put this. You have a tendency to stir it up on the internet because you just tell people how it really is, and people want to go through all the numbers and the energy and the ballistic charts, and you say, yeah, but I've shot a thousand animals, like dozens and dozens of bears. Here's what really works versus what your charts tell you. What does it you know that actually works.
Speaker 5: I would say first is penetration and as long as you can get enough.
Speaker 6: Penetration to do the job. Second is bullet diameter.
Speaker 5: And people have no idea that if they haven't killed hundreds and hundreds and hundreds ahead of big game, they have no idea how the killing dynamics change as board diameter goes up or down.
Speaker 3: What you're saying is, use a big bullet and drive it through to where it needs.
Speaker 5: To go, assuming enough velocity, and you know velocity changes it longer ranges, and so assuming enough velocity and assuming a bullet designed to penetrate deep enough to get the job done, bore diameter makes the biggest difference that I've ever seen in killing ability on large animal.
Speaker 3: You are known as the guy who has shot a incredible number of animals with handguns. You've been a handgun hunter forever, and you explore the world of the big boar handguns. So I just posted something on x I was just poking the bear and I said, look, you guys understand that a forty five caliber bullet has twenty seven percent more surface area at the nose than a ten milimeter bullet. You'd think I'd been called in their mother's names or something, But look, similimm is not bad. You've got a lot of great loads that you have for that. But as that me plat, that big flat area on a flat nosed bullet gets bigger and bigger.
Speaker 4: Things change, don't they.
Speaker 5: They change incredibly. And I was the first person I knew about that started getting on the internet and going, okay, you guys that are worshiping the ten mm for defense against grizzly bears or moose's it's not that you're making a mistake, because the tenmm has been proven with proper deep penetrating bullets and so we know it will work. But I said to people, you're missing the boat. A two hundred and fifty or fifty five two hundred and fifty five grain forty five caliber bullet out of a forty five ACP at plus P velocities, which is a little over nine hundred feet a second. Most of my five inch guns are shooting at nine hundred and sixty or nine hundred and seventy feet a second, it will kill. If you're taking body shots, I mean brain shots, it doesn't matter. You know, if you can get you can get into the brain with any caliber bullet, it's a dead animal. But if you're taking body shots, which is usually the way it happens, because brain shots on a charging bear are very difficult to make sure unless the bear's on top of it, which you really don't want to push it. To that point, the forty five ACP with a heavy bullet that doesn't expand which handgun velocities, expansion just kills penetration.
Speaker 3: Good point, yeah, because if you have expansion, then you always are going to have less penetration.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like opening a parachute. And the same isn't true with high powered rifles because you're using a bullet with much higher sectional density and generally higher velocity to push that higher sectional density bullet. Handguns use low sectional density bullets.
Speaker 3: Let me pay Let me back up here, because you're saying, because I'm thinking you have four to fifty four cassou forty five you know, maybe a hopped up forty five COVID, you're saying a forty five ACDP like out of a nineteen eleven or an eight K or something.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean, let's let's remember we're pushing two hundred and fifty grain bullets at plus p velocities, which is close to one thousand feet a second. When when the forty five Colt Cartures was designed as a cavalry gun, it was given to the cavalry men and this is I'm going like eighteen seventies. It was given to the cavalrymen to shoot horses. And they were pushing a two hundred and fifty grain bullet at one thousand feet a second and it, I mean it would just go right through.
Speaker 6: Both shoulders on a horse.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 5: And so we're doing the same thing with the forty five ACP. But what happens is the internet experts that have never killed a bear probably never even seen a bear in the wild. I mean, maybe it is zoo or something. They go, oh no, no, here's the numbers on that. You're wrong. You're wrong. And I've reached a point where all I do is go, well, tell me how many bears you've killed. And if you haven't killed a bear, would you please close your mouth and open your ears, because if you count all the bears've I mean I've guided tons of people to bears and seen them shot and killed. And I've killed, like you said, dozens and dozens of bears myself, both grizzlies and black bears, more black bears than grizzlies. And I've done some of that with forty five ACP and the ten mm.
Speaker 4: So you have the experience, you know what works.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 5: I can tell you that with body shots that twenty seven percent greater surface area makes a difference. And I mean I see it in Africa. I step up from say a four sixteen for sixteen anything, be it Rigby, Remington, whatever, a four sixteen, I step up to a four or five eight lot, and there's a noticeable difference on how it hammers a buffalo. But you got to shoot a lot of cape buffalo to see the difference because one offs don't count.
Speaker 3: Okay, That's the other thing is people say we you know, I've shot ten deer.
Speaker 4: I actually recovered seven of them.
Speaker 3: You're going, okay, I'm I'm not all that impressed at this point versus Tim who has shot one thousand plus animals and see what really works out there, Because you're right, one or two or even ten, it's not at large enough sample base.
Speaker 6: No, it really isn't.
Speaker 5: And of course people that are trying to learn on the internet, they're trying to learn, but who can authoritatively teach this stuff. Almost nobody unless they've just gone out and killed one thousand or two or three thousand big game animals.
Speaker 6: And like even on Kate Buffalo.
Speaker 5: You know I've got I don't keep count like some people do, but I've got several dozen Kate buffalo under my belt. Well that's enough for me to start seeing what is working better versus what is not working as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can spot the trends, all right, So let's switch over. Let me talk about your business. How did you get in and make an M one?
Speaker 5: The first place, I was friends with John Linebaw and line Baw was just coming out with the five hundred line Baw and Ross Seifried was writing about it in Probably was was it Guns and Ammo? And it was on the cover of the magazine. Well, you know, Ross had an experimental gun that John had built for him.
Speaker 6: And I called up John because his number was in.
Speaker 5: The article, and I said, I want you to build me this, this, this, this, this, And I said, I said I want a low serial number, and he goes, well, you're the first.
Speaker 6: Order, so you'll get that.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So so he gave me serial number two because ciphereds he had marked number one. And that's basically how I got into I've been handloading since I was thirteen. My dad taught me to handload ammo. He was trying to keep me off the streets, you know.
Speaker 3: And uh so one of the things if you get, if you get a kid interested in reloading and guns, you won't have enough money for drugs.
Speaker 5: And boy and boy was I into guns. I mean every second I was dreaming, thinking, reading, wanting guns and so that's how I got star arted. And when Line bas kept asking me, Tim, would you please make factory Ammo because he was sending customers to me to handload five hundred line bay Ammo and later four seventy five line Ammo, but he couldn't sell guns because.
Speaker 6: There was no commercial amp.
Speaker 4: Oh sure.
Speaker 5: I contacted Starline eventually and got them to make quantities, and it took a lot of money up front because they wouldn't make small quantities of a new brass, and in large quantities got factory brass. And once that happened, I was on the run, and so I decided, well, I'd better make some forty five colt plus P and some good forty four magammo while I'm at it, and some forty five seventy And the next thing you know, I was making a solid living producing AMMO like nobody else really knew how.
Speaker 6: To produce at that time.
Speaker 5: You know, I've been copied a jillion times by now.
Speaker 4: But your your line of AMMO is different.
Speaker 3: When people go to your website Buffalo board dot com, they're gonna look at ammo and go, well, that's I've not seen that before.
Speaker 4: That's interesting.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, three fifty seven magnum controlled fracture, standard pressure, nine milimeter control. It's like, and you got the high velocity stuff. You've got, you know, solid handgun AMMO house, solid bullets for deep penetration.
Speaker 4: You got a lot of rifle ammo. It goes on and on. I mean, you really have an extensive line of ammo.
Speaker 6: Now, yeah, it took a lot of years to get there.
Speaker 5: If you were to go in my gun vault, you would see five six hundred guns. They've all been used, fired, they're all test guns.
Speaker 6: And you know, so developing ammunition is my thing. And you know.
Speaker 5: I've very secretly developed a few loads for government agencies. Stuff you know that was highly specialized that they wanted for certain applications.
Speaker 4: Certain units to go places and do things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, some of some of those needs when you're doing specialized stuff or quite quite unique. And so anyway, I've addressed some of those things. But designing AMMO is my favorite thing. Running a business is my least favorite thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand, all right, So I gotta tell you. I know that you were a fan of Melvin Forbes. I got one of his rifles that came in, but it used and ordered it and it was three thirty eight out six. I thought, well, that'd be fun. I've never had one of those. But then it came in and I went back to the range and formed AMMO, formed the case. I went out and shot it, pulled the first case out and said that doesn't look right, and it turned out it was three thirty eight out six, actually improved. But nobody stamped the barrel, and I didn't know it. I mean, and it's fine now that I know it, and I've got the dies. But that's an interesting.
Speaker 6: Round, very useful.
Speaker 5: I mean, slightly less recoiling than the three thirty eight win mag But if you design the AMMO right, it's still a four hundred yard cartridge, especially the actually improved version. You know it's going to hold seven grains more powder than the standard three thirty eight off six. And by saying seven grains is did I hit the number right? I mean you're loading.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: I think that's about right. And yeah, I plan to take it on my al cut next week, our next month.
Speaker 4: Rather.
Speaker 6: If you ever want to sell that rifle, call me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, both of us are fans of Melvin's rifle. So yeah, I think I'll keep this one, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Well, but that's just an interesting cartridge I carry when we go l cutting around here. We've were getting more and more grizzlies, and so when I take my friends out hunting and they kill an elk and we quarter and leave it out overnight, cool, we come back the next day with horses, often we'll have a grizzly bear on the carcass. Oh and the rifle I carry when I go to retrieve meat is a three thirty eight OFF six.
Speaker 4: Really that's interesting.
Speaker 5: Well, it holds five rounds. Mine head is very short, it's got a nineteen inch barrel. It comes out of a saddle scabbard really fast. And it's not for long range hunting or anything else. It's for digging my butt out of trouble at five.
Speaker 6: Feet and you know when you've done this your whole life, like I have.
Speaker 5: And I'm not afraid of bears, So if I see a bear on a carcass, I'm going to go get my carcass. And so that three thirty eight OT six has been very useful. I've shot a number of bear with it, and it's a wonderful cartridge. It's for North America. It might be the most balance a big game hunting cartridge. It's a little shy on the long range stuff, but okay, I can still shoot four hundred yards with it, so it's really not shy on the range.
Speaker 4: All right, So what's the next for buffalo board? For Tim Sandles?
Speaker 5: Right now, I'm designing a line of believe it or.
Speaker 6: Not, twenty two Hornet Ammo.
Speaker 5: And you know, the hornet is a neat cartridge because it's right in the middle velocity Ballistically speaking, it's right in the middle between a twenty two magnum and a two to twenty three.
Speaker 6: It's easy on the.
Speaker 5: Ears, no recoil, and you know you can kill coyotes with it out to two two hundred or so.
Speaker 3: Well, look, I appreciate I want to send people to your website. They got to take a look at it, the handgun, ammo, Riflammeau, all of it. But also if they start looking at your videos, I know you're going to expand your social media reach here you're in the middle of doing that. I think they will enjoy hearing more about your thoughts on things and your thoughts are based on experience and rather than looking at a ballistic calculator.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're actually based on both, because I do look at the ballistic calculators, but I go out and actually kill stuff, lots of stuff, and whatever. The doesn't at that point, it doesn't matter what the charts say, doesn't matter what people on the internet say.
Speaker 6: And you kill enough stuff, you learn a lot.
Speaker 4: Tim, Thank you, it's always a pleasure.
Speaker 6: Tom.
Speaker 5: Thanks, and please get over here and let's do lunch together. You offered years ago to fly over and sit down and just talk. And you're easy to talk to, your very knowledgeable. And so when you're ready to get to Salmon, would you give me a call and we'll set an afternoon aside and just talk.
Speaker 4: Sounds good. We might even pull a trigger.
Speaker 6: Guns scare me off.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see if we can help you get over that. All right, don't go far gun talk will be right back.
Speaker 8: The new smith in Weston model eighteen fifty four is now chambered in forty five seventy more power, more punch, more ready than ever for the backcountry, with a twenty in stainless barrel, large loop lever for gloved hands and then legendary Smith and West and smooth action. This lever gun is built to run hard and hit harder. Adding a flat phased trigger and classic walnut stock, and you've got a rifle that honors one hundred and seventy years of American craftsmanship. No firearms are more than equipment, their history, competition, craftsmanship, adventure, family traditions, and that's exactly what you'll discover on Shooting Sports Life, the world's first streaming network dedicated to the shooting sports lifestyle. Start watching the only free twenty four seven network dedicated to the shooting sports Watch on your smart TV, phone or online. Visit Shooting SportsLife dot com Shooting Sports Life where freedom is a lifestyle.
Speaker 7: Tauris firearms are built for those who demand reliability when it matters most, whether you're at the range or protecting what's yours. Tourist delivers performance you can trust at a price every responsible American can afford. The GX two stands out with its sleek design, solid feel, and everyday dependability. Made for real world carry, it's everything you need, nothing you don't. Visit TAURISUSA dot com to check out their wide array of firearms, including pistols, world class revolvers and rifles.
Speaker 9: Owning, shooting, and carrying firearms is your responsibility. Range Ready Studios offers gun training classes taught by top level instructors with real world experience. Range Ready delivers basic and advanced classes for pistol and rifle. We also offer a ladies only handgun course. All these training classes at range Ready prepare you to use your gun and win the fight. Find us at rangereadystudios dot com to learn more.
Speaker 2: Ruger didn't just update the ar, they rebuilt it from the ground up. The Harrier is the modern sporting rifle reimagined for the serious shooter. Millspeck Ford's seventy seventy five receivers and I tried to bold Carrier group with staked gas key, amlockhandguard, with full length accessory rail, access threaded barrel, ready for whatever.
Speaker 4: You add to it.
Speaker 2: This isn't an iteration, It's an evolution decades of Ruger engineering discipline poured into the platform.
Speaker 6: You love the Ruger Harrier.
Speaker 3: Well, this is an interesting twist. In Maryland, Maryland, Montgomery County that is has a law prevents people from carrying in churches around churches and so they're being sued, and I think it's about time they're being sued by a rabbi and other Jews saying that you're keeping us from me able to carry in the synagogue. It's always been a puzzle to me why more Jews don't carry guns for protection. They are targeted by anti Semites historically, for thousands of years, have been murdered. Look at the Holocaust. What goes on now? And I'm actually encouraged to see them say, hey, we're going to carry guns for our own protection. We're going to protect our people at our synagogue and suing the state or in this case, the county for preventing them from doing that. Good on you guys. Everybody needs to understand every church should have security teams, but also anybody should be able to carry in any church as well as everywhere else. That's just a good thing. All right, We're gonna kick this thing open. If you want to join us, we're open lines now eight six six Talk gun or Tom talk gun. Looking for range reports and also any thoughts you have now on the Twin Falls, Idaho shooting and the guy using a pistol to take on a guy.
Speaker 4: With a rifle. So yeah, I get to do range reports now and then. I've been to the range.
Speaker 3: I had some fun, shot some rifles, shot some handguns, shot a steel challenge match. Now I often say I'm not a competitive shooter. I'm not, but I like to go out. I mean, if you're a competitive shooter, you would look at what I did say that's everything I did was wrong.
Speaker 4: Showed up with a brand new gun. It was not broken in.
Speaker 3: Did have some malfunctions while I'm shooting it, but that was kind of the point. I wanted to see how it would do. I wasn't trying to win or beaut anybody. I'm just it's a place to go to shoot, have some fun with some friends. Shot the nineteen eleven nine milimeter the Cult Custom Carry Limited nice pistol. Shoot really well. And yeah, the first one hundred rounds I had like probably four. It was looped up, but I had about four failures to go back into battery or had one stovepipe failure. After that, ran just fine, which is not unusual. You got to break them in. But had fun. It has a really good trigger, so I mean all at all, I liked the gun. There was a chance to try it out. I came in third, which sounds more impressive than it is since there were only five of us sho dead center in the middle. Oh well, there you go. But it was a fun time, fun mourning out, just shooting guns. Our number here is eighty six six Talk Gun, Give me a holler. Joe called in out of Welmington, New Jersey. Hello, Joe, you're on gun Talk.
Speaker 4: What's up, Tom?
Speaker 10: I got a range report for you about a shooting drill that my buddies and I came up with. One's active duty law enforcement, the others recently retired, and they both says, the most realistic thing you can do in an indoor, indoor range. And you know, we all got tired of, you know, lining up the shot, you know, taking five seconds and naming it the little red bullseye. That's about as far away from real life as you can get. So there's some targets you can get. They look like they're not an actual silhouette, but they're like two big ovals. One's a lower body area. It's got a green area about the size of a dinner plate. And the top, the top OVAL's got a little like saucer shaped a saucer size represent the head. And here's the drill. You load two bags five rounds each. You draw you, if I were as quickly as possible two handed, to start into the lower kill zone, drop your mag, reload next five shots into the head, and if you do that successfully two hands, you repeat with one hand. Now, once you get proficient at doing that, we initially would start it. We started three at three yards, and once we did we would push out the five and once we got proficient, we pushed out to seven, then to ten. I'm to the point now at fifteen yards I can draw put not only all five shots in the lower and upper target area two handed, I can do it one handed. And both my law enforce and buddies say they never had anything like that when they were, you know, in law enforcement training, and they they had. And the active duty guy says, I love it. I'm going to tell my buddies about it.
Speaker 3: So, okay, we know where you are now, but where were you with your shooting when you started working this drill? Could you do that right off the bat or did you have to work your way into it?
Speaker 10: Well, initially I could get no trouble, you know a yards getting two handed. I had a little trouble one handed getting five shots single strong hand only into the head. But it took me. It took me two or three times to get that, and then pushed out to five with a similar you know, similar thing, you know, and you know it started to put only four out of five in the head. And once I was able to get five out of five in the head strong hand only, then we pushed it out to seven. And over the course of I'm going to say eight weeks, Tom, that's when I finally get out to fifteen yards. And this is rapid fire, Tom, this is bang bang, bang, bang bang. You know you're not taking it. You're not lining up. It's you know, combat situation. You're squeezing the shots off as quick as you can get them off.
Speaker 3: What was what did you work on to get the improvement? If you're not making all your shots and then you started making your shots, what did you I'm assuming it's mintal. You got to work on your thought process? What did you have to do?
Speaker 10: Squeeze trigger, squeeze.
Speaker 4: Always a trigger. Edit, it's always the trigger.
Speaker 10: Trigger, always the trigger. I was jerking, you know, I was trying to rush and I was jerking the trigger, and I was pulling shots off high and right, and you know, so it's just I had to calm myself down. Okay, it's rapid fire, but rapid fire doesn't do any good if you're going to miss the target. So you know, put an extra quarter of a second between shots, and squeeze the trigger, don't jerk the trigger, and all of this a similar improvement, Tom, you know, you know, we've all had a similar in terms of progression over eight weeks of doing this.
Speaker 4: You know what I like about it?
Speaker 3: And yes, okay, the specifics of the drill you're doing are very good. But more than that, you said, okay, let's have an organized program of improvement of working on stuff. We're going to have a measurable target, measurable results, and then a goal to get to make this better.
Speaker 4: And you just start working on I think more than anything.
Speaker 3: Once you start doing that, you go, okay, I'm not doing it as well as I would like. I need to work on something. And in your case practice, in all of our cases, it's trigger. Let me let me give you one another tip to put into your head. Okay, before you start the drill, here's what I do because I'm always trying to think the sites you are going to be fine. It's all about the trigger. And in my head what I say is press, press, press press, and when I'm gonna come up, I'm going to go press press, press press, And it's that press as opposed to pool, jerk, yank, whatever it is. For me, the word press really works at trying to move the trigger straight back. You might just try before you start the drill, just in your head, go press, press, press press, See what that.
Speaker 4: Does for you.
Speaker 10: I tell him, I think that's great advice and I will try that. One other thing I want to add, though, By starting at three yards, everybody has some success. Nothing turns people off starting a drill and failing, you know.
Speaker 5: Ye.
Speaker 10: By starting at three yards, everybody has success and then okay, finally, then as you get profession, you can then okay. Then you push it to five and most people are still getting you know, eighty ninety percent of their shots, but we don't move it out to seven until you get one hundred percent of your shots. So, but it's not like you're starting and failing. Everybody's starting and succeeding initially, which encourages them to keep getting better and better.
Speaker 3: And it makes it makes you come back, because if you embarrass yourself, you're not going to come back.
Speaker 4: Great stuff. I appreciate it, Joe.
Speaker 3: I'm going to move on to grab Chris out of California line too.
Speaker 4: Hey Chris, you're on the air.
Speaker 6: Here, go for it, all right, Tom?
Speaker 11: Yeah, thanks. I'm just making a follow up call to say I'm the person that called about the Springfield Armory echelan and the compensated versus non compensated there. Oh right, I believe that you had somebody in the first fifteen to thirty minutes of the show today talk about that and basically saying that the gases and stuff it could create blowback and fragmentation from the jack if you have a close you know, like body to body shot. I believe right, right, Yeah, So, I uh, you know, I actually ran that past the guy at the gun store too, and he kind of showed me the same thing. He showed me a technique about if that happens. But overall, it sounded like the non compensated barrel would probably be the better choice, you know, in a self defense carry conceal type of situation. So I just wanted to confirm that and again say thanks for the input and the knowledge that you that you guys, you know the show spreads out well.
Speaker 4: No, I appreciate the follow up. I'm with you there.
Speaker 3: I think non compensated, non comp barrel and the recoor reduction is important when you're shooting targets and you're trying for those absolute minimum time splits between shots. But for a self deferent situation, carving you know, a tenth of a second or hundreds of a second, I don't think is as important as making sure you don't frag yourself. When you've got to shoot from retention positions. You've got that gun tucked into your side, into your pectoral muscles. If you get a bit of a shaved lid or copper jacket coming out of a comp and it comes up and hitching the face or in the eye, I don't think it's worth that risk to try to shave just a tiny little fraction of time off with the comp back barrel.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know, that's that sounds good to me. He did tell me a technique of you know, if you turn to you turn it ninety degrees, that would it's still going to deflect that it's not going to go into your face, but still then you got to think of that extra step. And if you're in that stressful situation, you know, that's just one more thing to consider.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's good and you know, and it's not a bad idea to think about tilting that gun out when you're in retention position, tilted out twenty degrees to forty five degrees away from your body, primarily to keep the slide for getting hung up on clothing. So you got that slide that's reciprocating back and forth. Tilt out a little bit and you've indexed. You've got that gun pressed into your side because you're shoot there's something that is literally one to two feet away and you want to make sure it keep it running. So rotating it out and index that way will work as well. A good call, sir. I appreciate it. Thank you for following up, Chris. It's look, cock barrels really do reduce motile rise and they make guns more pleasant to shoot, and that's all true, and it helps at the range and it helps in competition for a self defense gun. I think it's less important, not saying it's not important. I think you just have to measure the trade offs. As we have said before, everything is a trade off. Everything is a compromise. I mean, if you wanted the most powerful thing to shoot, you know, a bad guy with you, to carry twelve gates with you all the time, Well we can't do that.
Speaker 4: It's just not practical.
Speaker 3: So you go all the way down and say, well, what would be the most with a little bit of pocket gun that's in a twenty two would be the most comfortable, But that doesn't have the stopping power that we're looking for. So somewhere between a twelve gage with an extended magazine and a North American Arms Me revolver in twenty two short is something you can find that works for you, and to put more qualifiers on it, because it's always a whole stack of qualifiers. It's what works for you in that situation, in the clothing that you're wearing, the places that you go. Do you need real deep concealment for whatever reason, or can you do? Like where I live, I could open carry, but I don't, but I kind of have a loose conceal carry, just a shirt pulled out over a gun or a vest that I wear a lot of times, and is it going to print? Might probably not. I try not to, but it's possible.
Speaker 4: That it does.
Speaker 3: Because it doesn't matter where I live. It's very likely that it will be I'll be finding somebody open carrying, but I'm at a restaurant or in the hardware store. That happens all the time, different places, different rules. Because I can carry that way, I can carry a larger gun. I can carry with an outside the waistband holster. That's for me a lot more comfortable than inside the waistband. I don't carry appendix.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: And yeah, people go, well, you know you're not carrying appendix, that you're not carrying a red dot and you just got to get with times. You know, I don't. Actually, I really don't. I can carry the way I carry, and I am. I hope fast enough we'll find out. I hope I never find out. Actually, And I don't want guns pointed at my junk and my femeral artery. And yeah, I know all the young guys are going, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's you'rified get over yourself. I'm not gonna ask you to do what I do any more than you should ask me or require me to do what you do, find something that.
Speaker 4: Works for you. Is your red dock faster?
Speaker 6: Probably?
Speaker 3: Is it more accurate? Probably? Does it make a difference in self defense situation? Almost certainly?
Speaker 6: Not.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, it just doesn't. Is my iron sight going to have a battery go dead on it? Not a chance in the world. Or the electronic is gonna go dead on it when I need it the most? Not gonna not gonna happen. It is possible that your iron sight would fall off your gun. Yeah, that's possible. I mean, it's highly unlikely, but I guess anything's possible. Compromises, trade offs, we make our choices. If you like a red dot, carry a red dot. If you like appendix, carry go with it. That's all well and good. You know why, because it doesn't affect me in the slightest. I got somebody online right right now saying on over next, Well, you shouldn't call them silencers. They're suppressors. You should know better than that. No, actually they're both. They're suppressors and they're silencers. When hire a Maximum vnded them, they call them silencers. The patent calls them silencers. It's either one or it's both. And I think we can kind of get over the whole. You have to do it the way I do, or you're wrong. There is a tendency to want to make sure that we're right and other people are wrong. I'm not sure that's entirely healthy, Jim. More time we got left here, Well, let's do that. Let's grab Nicole and put her in here. Nicole called in out of Boston, Massachusetts to call thank you for your patients. You out the floor.
Speaker 12: So, uh does a follow up call to a call a lot?
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 12: Four months ago or so, I had called because I'm I'm trans and I had wondered or I had been worried about, you know, how I'd be received in the community and getting into competitions. And so I have a couple of updates. Number one, I competed in my first competition like two weeks ago. I think it was today as a matter of fact, I participated in a GSSF competition. So and it was great. Nobody cared. I went in shot shot pretty well. I think I got a four to sixty one out of five hundred, and it was fine. Nobody nobody got it an eyelash, and it was great. I worried completely needlessly about that. So and number two was at my club. Everybody's been great. And I had befriended someone who is in a neighboring club, and it's a woman who runs a ladies group, and she had invited me to come to shoot at their club, and I shot with them, and I hooked her up with the president of my club to have like a field trip. So they came out and all the ladies from our club came and it was nice. We all had a great time. And after that I approached to my club president. It was like, this is something this club needs. You know, the ladies are underrepresented every time I go here. You know, I go a couple of times a week, and it's it's always the same basis.
Speaker 6: And.
Speaker 3: I'm right, I guess by time. Give me a therefore, wrap up as good please, it's a long.
Speaker 10: Start to it.
Speaker 12: He says, that's a great idea. Let's do it. Why don't you run it? So now I'm running the ladies group at our club.
Speaker 3: All right, there you go, all right, appreciate it. Thanks for the call, Billy. We'll get you and we'll come back out of this Breakdoug go anywhere, and we got room for you. If you'd like to join us, give me called eight six six Talk Done or Tom Talk Gun Still pondering on the choice. Are good guy with a gun used a FN five point seven with a suppressure to get this bad guy to keep through? Stop shooting people? Killing people? Interesting juries, not what most people are carrying.
Speaker 4: All right, how's the time for you to call in to be on the after show? We can knock things around a little bit more. We have a little bit more time.
Speaker 3: We don't have the constrictions of heartbreaks, commercial breaks. We've got to hit Hey, look, that's just broadcast TV radio in this case, just the way it is. By the way, if you haven't looked at some of our videos, by all means, check out YouTube. But we are putting more and more videos of our videos on Facebook, the gun Talk Facebook page, and we're getting I was going to say thousands of yous, that's not true.
Speaker 4: We're getting million.
Speaker 3: Actually, we're getting hundreds of millions of views on Facebook on our gun videos. And some of them are a little bit longer, some of them are very short. We're talking ten seconds at a time. You never know what's going to be there, but yeah, check out our Facebook page for gun Talk and then of course I'm over on x a fair amount of time. You can go follow me. I'm at gun talk is how I am. You know, that's my label or handle or whatever you call it. Over on X formerly Twitter. It's a fun place for conversations and also you get a lot of Second Amendment news there. I try to share that as much as I can. Right now, we've got some conversations going on about this guy in Twin Falls, Idaho who used his suppressed silence whichever you prefer, pistol to shoot back at a guy who's murdering people with than they are. What we're finding out is that the fella in Twin Falls, his name was Jordan's Salinas, is a serious gun person, serious self defense protector kind of guy, different attitude from most people. Takes it, you know, beyond serious. It's a way of life for him, and you know that may not be for you, but it also is one of those reminders that if you're gonna think of yourself as a sheep dog, if you're gonna think of yourself as a protector, thinking about it, imagining yourself as that actually doesn't do you a lot of good. I mean not that it does you no good at all. It does kind of prepare you mentally, but you also have to do some other things. You gotta choose a good gun sighting system, holster rig you gotta go get some training. Training is not practice. Once again, training is not practice and practice is not training. The two are not the same thing. Training involves an instructor. If there's no instructor there, it's not training, which means you got to go take a class or a bunch of classes. Got it like a commitment, or you can just say, you know, I'm just gonna let it happen. Whatever happens, I'll take my chances. I don't like that, and for I'm not a lazy, fair kind of guy. I'm going to do what I can to prepare understanding. Look, I get it, understanding that may not be enough, and maybe that nothing's enough. You get a black Swan event, somebody walks up behind you in the street and hit you in the back of the head with a baseball bat. There's nothing you could do, and that's the way it goes. But there's no preparation that can take care of that. Anyway, So why worry about it? But there are things you can prepare for, things that will help you in situations where you can help somebody. Else where you can save somebody. You see somebody being abducted, you see somebody being beaten, maybe you go get involved. That's a personal decision you gotta make. But if somebody's coming after you and you your loved ones, someone's gone nuts in a road rage incident, do you have what you need both in the way of physical ability and equipment and the middle makeup and the preparation and the will to do what needs to be done. And when you need that action, you need it right now, no hesitation. You may call let me know how you prepare for that. Our numbers eight sixty six talk gun. In the meantime, go out and do it a little shooting, Take somebody with you to the range. Think about being prepared all the time, and every time you walk out of your house. You need to have that gun with you every time, Yes, every time, because evil shows.
Speaker 4: Up when you least expected. Just ask those folks in Idaho