Speaker 1: You can see different types of assets that it did not necessarily make sense for someone to go through an IPO type transaction to offer them. But assuming the SEC does start to regulate more in a way that it allows for a more fluid and efficient way to do those tokenizations that will unlock classes of assets if there's not a good traditional market. Analog for.
Speaker 2: This episode is brought to you by I Trust Capital. I Trust Capital allows you to invest in crypto as well as precious metals like gold and silver via an IRA and this gives you huge tax advantages, so you can invest in over ninety crypto assets including bitcoin, etherorem XRP, Solana, and many more. You also get access to stable coins such as Circles USDC and Ripples r L USD. And as it relates to precious metals, you can invest in gold and silver and these are the physical assets, so you're not in investing in paper gold and silver. So on this platform you can redeem the gold and silver if you choose to, and not many platforms offer that. Now, the big advantage to investing via I Trust Capital's IRA is the huge tax advantages many of you know you incur capital gains taxes when you sell at a gain, while you can minimize the effect of some of that by doing it via an IRA, especially if you have a long term view on crypto as well as precious metals, and you can buy and sell crypto in precious metals twenty four to seven. It's low cost and a monthly feet, so this is a great option to get exposure to these two great asset classes. And in addition, they have a great custody solution. It's called Premium Custody account, so it uses institutional great crypto custody such as coinbas Prime, which black Rop leverages. I Trust also uses fidelity digital assets as well as fireblocks, and it's a closed loop system so if someone hacks it to your account, they can't withdraw funds. I believe this is the second safest way to custody your assets, right behind self custody where you control the private keys and within the custody account you coul buy and sell twenty four to seven. It's low fees, so this is a great option for custody of your assets and you can sleep at night knowing that you're getting the institutional great custodial services. So once again two great products here from I Trust Capital, the IRRA where you can roll over your existing four one K or IRA to I Trust Capitalist version, getting the huge tax advantages and the institutional custody and folks, if you sign up with my link at I Trustcapital dot com slash Go slash Thinking Crypto, you could get a one hundred dollars funding bonus. I have an account with I Trust Capital, so I encourage you to go check out I Trust Capital, learn about their services and see if it's right for you. Again, you can get one hundred dollars funding bonus by signing up via my link which is I Trustcapital dot com slash Go slash Thinking Crypto. Link will be in the description. Hey, folks, welcome into the Thinking Crypto Podcast. I'm your host Tony Edward and joining me today's Ashley Ebersol, who is the co founder and chief legal office at TX, which is a unified operating system and marketplace where real world assets that facilitates the digital issuance, trading, and settlement of tokenized assets through a global network of regulated partners.
Speaker 3: Ashley, great to have you.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for having me Tony. It's great to be here with you. And yeah, looking forward to our.
Speaker 2: Discussion absolutely, and I'm so excited to dive into what TX is doing because tokenization is all the rage right now. Many firms and institutions, many of the trad five firms, are all looking to tokenize assets. And you also spend a lot of time at the SEC. So I have a lot of questions for you, But let's start with your background. Where are you from and your professional background.
Speaker 1: I am one of the few natives from Washington, d C. In the center of the city, and I currently live there. I was gone for ten twelve years, including in about three years in New York law school, down in Nashville, Norfolk, Virginia, Cleveland, Ohio clerking for judges, and then back in d C. Since then, so it's uh, it's been and actually in almost a year in Mexico City, which was great when I was in finance. But yeah, now in d C, and it's a great place to be at the center of a lot going on in the in this space.
Speaker 2: Now. You spent about over four years at the SEC as Senior Council.
Speaker 3: Tell us about your time there and some of the work you did.
Speaker 1: Sure it was, it was it was almost five years slightly less, but I you know, coming in I had been at Scadden for for almost six years and had done a lot of SEC regulatory work and defense work, So initially it was just the other side of that, which you know, was a great learning experience. But pretty early on I had the opportunity to work on the early world groups there that were looking at crypto assets and blockchain technology and how should these assets be treated, how was the SEC going to look at them, to engage with the technology groups. Members of our working group issued the Dow Report in the summer of twenty seventeen that established the SEC has jurisdiction over it. If it's a security, it doesn't matter or what the underlying technology is by which it's being offered. And from there, you know, there was a lot of enforcement initially, just sort of lay down boundary markers. I candidly thought it would shift at some point to doing the prescriptive work of regulation. It didn't while I was there. It seems that work is finally starting now, which is great. Paul Atkins is a visionary leader there and he really sees the potential of this technology and is finally leading the hard work to modernize the markets.
Speaker 3: So it's been quite a journey for the SEC.
Speaker 2: And you know, you worked under the tenure of the two chairs Mary Joe White as well as Jay Clayton, and I know this technology was still very young back then and everyone who was trying to figure out what is it, how does it work? So it wasn't the natural progression, you know, over the years that everybody was figuring out their regulators and now to your point, under a chair Atkins, we're now getting some of the rulemaking and guidance and so forth.
Speaker 1: I think that is the natural progression. We're missing about four years where the SEC was really no other way to put it than other than hostile. Yeah, and that was a huge missed opportunity. I was at a law firm at that time leading the crypto practice, and for about a year you could still engage with the SEC. You could talk to them about projects and why you thought of certain securities law of treatment applied to you know, some aspect of this business and you know, maybe some sort of exempt of relief was proper or something. They those meetings became impossible to schedule eventually after check Gensler got there, and you know, you didn't you couldn't have them, So that had two real effects. I mean they yes, they lost the opportunity to do the regulatory work, so we're way behind where we could be. But also the SEC lost all of the expertise and technical know how that was in the industry and continue to develop in the industry. Had they there been a fluid conversation, the SEC would have stayed abreast of all that rather than having to read about it. So it was really a shame. But you know, we're back on the right track now, and yeah, the SEC is is being extremely productive in what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Pardon the interruption. Hi, I'm Tony. I'm the host of the Thinking Crypto podcast. I wanted to ask you if you can please support the podcast by hitting the like button subscribing. If you haven't as yet, you can leave a comment below as well. And if you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify, Apple or wherever you get your podcasts, please be sure to follow and hit the five star rating. I'll let you get back to the content. Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Now, you are.
Speaker 2: Obviously in the legal field as a you know, counsel and these things. What made you decide to or what was the moment that you said, you know, I see this technology, this is an industry I want to go work but also be a founder. You know, what was your aha moment?
Speaker 1: I think once I started working with the technology more deeply, I left. So I left b CLP the law firm in summer of twenty two to become general counsel at zero X, the big defive platform. And that was really, I guess, sort of the leap of leaving a very familiar environment for me by that point of law firms to go to a startup and learn all their technology as best I could. I mean, don't look at me to code neithering, but to understand the technology and what it could do. And really that, you know, really just cemented my focus on certainly stay abreast of all the financial regulatory laws, all the securities laws and developments there. That's just necessary. But having this specific application in the crypto space, it really introduces problems that are they just don't exist anywhere else, and it makes it really interesting. That's why I got into it the sec in the first place. You know, it's you're back to the early days of the securities laws to see a lot of the scenarios that have played out in this industry where you had read about them in you know, legal textbooks and like, well, yeah, but when could that ever happen? But it did happen then in the crypto industry because it was a technology that was just growing and just sort of get in its footing. So yeah, it's it's been extremely interesting and continues to be so.
Speaker 2: On that note, the how we test right served its purpose for the time period that was in and you know the type of products we have, stocks and so forth. But with crypto coming along with tokens that are on distributed networks across the globe, do you believe the how we test needs to be expanded to include tokens and coins or its separate test has to be created for these instruments.
Speaker 1: So it's just the nature of law. And this is not going to be a satisfying explanation for a lot of people in the industry, but it's just the nature of securities law that it's principles based. So even though the Howie test was about orange groves in Florida and people investing in them, you can't just say, well, yeah, but these aren't oranges. So it doesn't apply. I mean it, you know, the ideas apply. At the same time, I do think there's a lot that hasn't been clear about the way the sec has applied it. A lot of damage was done by the very aggressive four years under Chairman Gensler, where there were legal theories advanced that just did not have any basis in existing law, and it was a sort of essentially the best way to describe it is they were trying to come up with new legal theories of why cryptotokens themselves were securities. There's no absolutely no law for that. The law is around selling an opportunity to investors. Of you invest in this opportunity, we're going to do the work to develop it. You're going to reap the proceeds. That's the sort of simplest way to explain how we whether you're investing in a token based project, whether you're investing in Orange Groves, whatever. They tried to come up with things like, well, it's not actually just that scenario, it's the token itself can be a security because everything that's said in marketing that scenario gets somehow physically embody physically embodied in the token and travels with the token like that. There's no law for that, you know, Like I mean, I you hold a physical share of IBM, I could buy it from you for five bucks and you give it to me like that, you know is not We haven't done anything that that violated the law there, you know. And you also didn't I mean, I transferred ownership of a security because you had to be the share certificate. The share certificate itself wasn't the security. If you had told me, hey, you know, I'm supposed to become chairman of ip IBM tomorrow and I'm going to do all these new things, and so you, as an IBM stockholder, are really going to profit, you should buy this share from me for an inflated price, and that would start to look more like a securities transaction because there's you know, promises being made, representations about what you're gonna do. You know, my reasonable expectation would be like all that stuff sounds good, good, And I trust that guy, and you know, I'm going to rely on him and to to generate profits and I'm not going to do anything. I'm a passive shareholder. He's going to do all the work. Sure, So that's how he you know, how he is not the piece of paper is somehow a security.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it's it's the contract around it or the scheme to speak, great, Yeah, exactly, it's the investment scheme is yah, which scheme always has a little bit of a nefarious contact the investment out of the.
Speaker 3: Plan, right yeah, yeah for sure. So let's talk about t X. What is TX and what is the.
Speaker 1: Missione TX is a platform that connects regulated entities globally UH for purposes of tokenization. It allows investors to find tokenhosed opportunities tokenized asset opportunities that are being issued via those regulated entities U in and to you know, also should they be entities that want to issue tokenized assets, they can find those regulated tokenization providers and they can you know, use them to transact. So it's really sort of the connective tissue from a technical technological perspective for the industry.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like a tokenized asset marketplace that where builders can come and launch, but also people looking to buy tokenized assets or invests they can come and also find those assets or bridge connections.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and think about like Amazon and the Amazon marketplace, you have marketplace sellers those would be the regulated entities. You have all sorts of consumers, some of which are small businesses, you know, like so you've got B to B, you've got B two C, you've got issue or sellers. So yeah, I mean all different facets are represented.
Speaker 2: That's interesting because I haven't heard of any other platform like this. I know there's firms like securitizes which help companies to launch, but I haven't heard about a marketplace.
Speaker 3: So this is the first time I'm hearing of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think the history of this industry is best we can decipher it is you had a lot of sort of siloed tokenization projects that would be really good at you know, tokenizing real estate or you know, doing a very specific thing like figure and like tokenizing debt like that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: Not a problem. A lot of those businesses did fantastically well. But the issue with that is you may have all sorts of liquidity in that specific asset, but it's pretty siloed inside that issuer. And so the idea behind TX was, what if you had a way to connect all of these regulated issuers and allow consumers to be able to see all the opportunities that are available to them and sort of discover information about about all these regulated entities and and what they're what they're issuing.
Speaker 2: So what type of institutions are leveraging your platform.
Speaker 1: Well, the regulated entities that are within the network, broker dealers in the US and analogous platforms all over the world are using it to Yeah, I mean to reach you know, investors, consumers, that kind of thing. And so they're sort of the both think of them as both the endpoints of of some inbound you know, people looking for you know, whatever it is that that that issuer is selling, but it's also outbound because obviously you know, they're trying to distribute to to investors and they sort of depend on that in terms of consumers. Then yeah, I mean it's you would use it the same way use Amazon. You know, you're I use it for a lot of things. But you know, you say, I, you know, I want to invest in Latin American real estate, like I want to find an issuer who from whom I can purchase tokens like that, or you know, with Solo techs our joint venture with US broker dealer, I want to invest in US stocks. That's actually kind of a big opportunity for a lot of people who have, you know, digital wallets, they haven't previously had a chance to buy actual stocks that come with voting rights, come with dividends, are backed one for one by a share of stock that at the time of purchase, a token's mented that you can hold in your wallet, but a share of stock is also acquired that is held at the at the custodian level, the clearing broker. So you know, it opens up different asset classes to folks who you know, want to transact out of their digital wallets. You know, and studies show that for certain age cohorts, they may not have a traditional financial account when they get to the mindset of I heard I should look at buying stocks. I heard the stock market is a good place to be. Maybe they'll go and set up traditional financial accounts somewhere, but if they have the opportunity to buy solo tech stock tokens in their digital wallet, you know, we uh, we're happy to uh to serve that need.
Speaker 2: So it sounds like it's an international platform, so folks in different parts of the world, institutions as well as customers can come and participate.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, we're expanding the network of regulated entities as fast as we can. So it's a little bit dependent on that, sure, because you know, we don't want to and or should we hold the uh the registrations ourselves, the regulatory red strations ourselves. But we depend on the regulated entities because in the United States and in most jurisdictions, the process of tokenizing, you know, whatever the real world asset is is a regulated transaction. So we're not going to be engaging in that. We're not going to be doing the work of uh you know, the legal work around it. We're not going to be doing the issuance of those assets and then on the consumption. And you know, if it's in the United States, our broker dealer partner would be overseeing that. If it's abroad, uh, you know, let's say you're in in in the Middle East, you're in Dubai. Uh, you know, a VARA regulated entity would be ensuring that people who want to come in on the ground in Dubai and buy assets from one of these other markets. That's all done in compliance with the applicable local laws. So it's again we're sort of the technology layer connecting these various users, issuers and that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And what are the common assets being tokenized on your platform? You mentioned real estate? Is it stocks, money market funds and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the solo tech stock tokens, real estate investment funds both from the United States and abroad, other sort of more esoteric assets like vintage cars and that kind of thing that needs to be a little more at scale than Sure, it's a lot to do that for a single car.
Speaker 2: Right, So sorry enemy theater, But where does a liquidity come for something like that when it's that small and it's not an asset that has broad reach so to speak. That not a real estate you know people, Oh, I know, I can get a house in disc region and a lot of people around the world may want to do that, but a car.
Speaker 3: I don't care about cars.
Speaker 2: So how do they find the liquidity and build that market?
Speaker 1: Well, I guess two things are we have market makers for these assets. But also yeah, I mean, just like you know in the traditional financial markets, there's not a buyer for literally every asset. So you know, some some issuers are going to be frothier maybe as a way to put it, so, or the markets and their assets will be frothier than others, And yeah, there will not be I do not think there would be a an individual car. It would be you know, the end issuer says, I've got a collection lead. Yeah, I would think. But yeah, I mean, and then there's currency instruments. There's four domestic debt intellectual property rights including you know, like streaming rights and the rights to revenue streams associated with streaming that kind of thing, which starts to look more like a structured finance deal. But yeah, I mean, it's really anything that that the issuer wants to put on chain.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned you know, you don't get involved with the issuance and the laws and support based on jurisdictions. So is it up to the Let's say I want to go invest in a certain asset as tokenized on the platform, and it comes from an institution in China or in whatever country. Just the thing EXA's probably not Okay or Hong Kong. Let's say let's put another Singapore. Are there like verifications that are done so I know this is indeed this institution, here's what the assets custody, what goes through that process of how do I verify these things?
Speaker 1: So in the United States, and it's going to be in in each market, but in the United States, the broker dealer has to do due diligence on each of these offerings. And there are analogous systems in every major market where you know there they have to verify that what is there, what they say is there is there? You know, in the US, a regulated uh qualified custodian has to be holding titled to the assets and that kind of thing. So you know, there is a lot of legal infrastructure around around that. Got it?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: Can an individual like myself if I have a rare basketball rookie card Michael Jordan rookie card example, and I want to tokenize that, Can.
Speaker 3: I do that as an individual? I have to go through an institution.
Speaker 1: You would need to go through the institution. I mean, it would be a little expensive to do that for a rookie card. I think I have not traded in the cards market since I was a much younger. I wasn't a man in my you know, adolescent years. But were there to be something sufficiently valuable, you could do it as an individual. You would work through the regulated identity so you would work through the broker dealer as the individual who holds title that asset and wants to tokenize it.
Speaker 2: Right, and which blockchains are you supporting that these institutions can tokenize on.
Speaker 1: Initially, we have our own layer one TX chain and it has a bridge to the XRP ledger. We are open to other bridges and we probably will be adding those in the near future. But the reason we're most comfortable for now sticking with the TX chain is that t X tokens, so this will be all of the tokenized assets initially that are issued on TX are smart tokens. We presented this to the SEC during our meeting with Crypto Task Force a month or two ago, and what smart token means is that they can be routed by smart contracts, just like most other cryptotokens. But the token itself on the TX chain also has the ability to be programmed, so you can program into that token. This token can only be transferred to an address that's on this white list, or this token cannot be held in a jurisdiction that's on this sanctioned country's list, like that kind of thing. Sure, so you know, some of that can be done purely natively on chain. Some of it requires interaction with oracles. But it's one of the really cool aspects of txchain that I think, you know a little bit of a laundeerd and maybe you know thinks that's really cool because of like, oh, that would take you know, checking the jurisdiction of all these people. Otherwise you have to put in IP blocking and stuff, you know, but if you can have it natively in the token, that solves a lot of problems. And that's why we were talking to the SEC about it, presented it to them just because we think it has a lot of applications and from a regulatory perspective too.
Speaker 2: I know the SECA if I'm not mistaken, they're currently working on tokenizing or rules for a tokenization of assets.
Speaker 3: Do you have any insights there.
Speaker 2: Anything that you know of and when we may see that and is it kind of related to what you were asking them for.
Speaker 1: We weren't really asking them for them. We were more presenting to them. But the reporting around the innovation exemption that was talking about, you know again about a month or two ago, was that they were close to allowing trading in you know, some blockchain based uh stocks and that kind of thing. But again the reporting was that there were concerns around the ability to police things like restricting transfer of tokens to you know, certain defined parties or walling off certain jurisdictions, that kind of thing. So I I'm not close enough to the agency to know precisely where that stands currently, I will say t X tokens could solve a lot of those problems. So you know, maybe, uh, well, we're open to another conversation if if we could be helpful.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, can those tokens be used in DeFi or is it still too earlier? We need you know, the regulatory clarity who determine.
Speaker 1: That you're talking about like the solar tech stock tokens. Yeah, so we're really early on stock tokens and those need the green light from the SEC. But specifically they also need the cooperation of FENRA, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the broker dealer self regulatory organization, because certain exemptions are needed to allow for trade the way that crypto trades and trade settlement and that kind of thing does not match. No surprise, when the way the laws were written, you know, decades ago or even you know a few years ago, so you need to get certain exemptions to allow for you to in the correct way issue you know, tokenized stocks. So you know our broker dealer partner tech Exture has had those conversations. But the end of those is that in the initial phase, these you know, the stock tokens can be sold, held in your digital wallet, you can redeem them back to Solo techts. We believe that in phase two of the Solo Texts project and of tokenization in general, additional secondary market trading maybe possible, but that's probably not going to be there right at the beginning.
Speaker 2: So talking about the overall aspect of tokenization and where we're headed in the future of finance, do you see that the current assets that are in the market, that are listed in exchanges will all be tokenized, or maybe it will be seventy percent of them, because not necessarily everything needs to be tokenized.
Speaker 1: I'm going to give you two answers. To me, it makes logical sense that you will have an entire class of tokenized assets that are things that it doesn't make sense to your example about the individual car, assuming you could find a way for it to make sense to do it on chain because of the efficiencies that brings that kind of thing I mean, you would still need to do the regulatory side of it, and that's often the costly part. But if that's difficult, trying to do that in the traditional space is doubly difficult. I would say. So, I don't know that it's going to be the individual car, but you can see different types of assets that it did not necessarily make sense for someone to go through an IPO type transaction to offer them. But assuming the SEC does start to regulate more in a way that allows a whether it's the innovation exemption or whether it's additional regulations being issued, that allows for a more fluid and efficient way to do those tokenizations that will unlock classes of assets that previously you know that there's not a good traditional market analog for you then have what the question you just asked all of the existing traditional assets. And this also a little bit depends on the SEC, but it also depends on the industry. So there's been a lot of stories about DTCC in a lot of ways. The ultimate sort of traditional finance player, the New York Stock Exchange NASDAK and others doing pilots to explore how they can use blockchain to explore how they can experiment a little more with with crypto assets and technology because they see its potential obviously, So you can see two different potential worlds happening. One in which yes, you want an on chain representation of every traditional financial asset that's out there, because you want those to be available to everyone who's transacting on chain, which opens up, you know, the potential for Marcus to trade, you know, twenty three, twenty four hours a day, five days a week, seven days a week, whatever it is, so a lot more liquidity. But if the SEC goes the route of n DCCC and the stock exchanges go the route of you know, this technology does bring a lot of efficiencies, and we think it is worth investing in overhauling our markets a little bit to modernize them and bring in technology in a way that we haven't before, and that does it performs functions that have impossible before. Then you can see it becoming the legal record, of legal authoritative record for all financial transactions, in which case, yeah, you're going to see movement of everything on chain in a much more full scale way than they currently is.
Speaker 2: So in the process of building this infrastructure out, you're going to have some leaders and some laggards, right, some folks will have tokenized versions of let's say SpaceX, Tesla, Apple and so forth, but you may have the traditional assets still out there. How do we and this may be something the SEC is thinking about, how do we avoid different price and I don't know, different issues that may come up because you have two separate markets.
Speaker 1: Almost so in the initial stage, every tokenized asset needs to be backed by a traditional asset. So with SpaceX, you know, the issue with SpaceX was there was massive demand and limited supply. All of that was going through traditional rails. It's not like there was an on chain supply and a traditional market supply and there were problems, different problems with each it was the same problem. All of them were drawing on the traditional market. So, you know, I think that in terms of assets, you know, being backed and not having a dislocation between prices, as long as there's an actual share underlying each of these tokenized representations, the market makers should be able to sufficiently keep the price within an acceptable ban of each other. Possible that things come up that were unforeseen, but you know, as long as the underlying share is still there, it's difficult to see. I think if we do get to a world where you've got on chain traditional stocks, and then the tokenized representations still there in a parallel market, and the on chain can now settle as quickly as the as the tokenized representations. I don't know, it'd be interesting to watch. We're not there yet. I think if we get to a world where we do really have parallel markets, you know, probably you're going to start to see one, yeah, potentially being priced more as a as a derivative. I don't know, it'll be interesting to watch and and to think through.
Speaker 2: I'm sure some people are going to try to arbitrage trade.
Speaker 1: As the arbitrage isn't there already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like decided, but the arbitraged trading you can write event contract Like, there's a lot you can do now.
Speaker 1: That you couldn't previously do. But from a legal perspective, that makes it makes it exciting and makes it really interesting, you know, just getting your mind around all these new products that are coming on and they're all still viewed through the same law, but applying that law to them, knowing having that at a regulator or having worked with regulators, you know, how the regulator is likely to look at this, you know, and then making judgment call. I mean that that's what a lot of this is. But it's a Yeah, it's an interesting place to be.
Speaker 2: And with tokenized assets, it seems the direction we're heading in is truly global markets, real time running on blockchain, instant settlements and things like that. Do you see these assets being brought to people around the world who couldn't access them before, Like they couldn't buy a SpaceX stock or a fraction of.
Speaker 3: It or whatever it may be.
Speaker 2: But maybe in countries in Africa, South America, other parts of the world through tokenization, they can access these assets now.
Speaker 1: Definitely, and there's massive interest abroad. We have these conversations with regulated entities outside the US all the time, and one of the things the most interested in is how do we get access to solo techs? How do we get access to US stocks? Yeah, because to your point, you know, it's not like a citizen of wherever, Argentina or something you can call out a broker dealer in New York and say, hey, I want to open a I mean, it's just maybe it should work that way, but it doesn't doesn't. So you know, this allows for or exposure for them to get exposure to the US stock market through a regulated product.
Speaker 2: Are there any risks that you can think of or that you know could potentially be a risk for tokenization of assets, not when it's fully completed, but during the process that concerned you.
Speaker 1: During the process of bization or saying where the industry.
Speaker 2: Is, where the industry is going, you know, because to your point, no rules officially yet from the sec might be around a corner. But you know, there's always bad actors in markets, right, in every every industry, every market.
Speaker 3: Bad humans will be humans.
Speaker 1: That's why we have the securities laws in the first place, right because people were being sold, you know, investment schemes around all sorts of things didn't exist, weren't, you know, so right, So.
Speaker 2: Is there anything that you think could be a risk in the process of tokenizing these assets.
Speaker 1: I'm sure that there are risks, But if you think about look at SpaceX, it's actually a decent example. You did have a scenario there where do the massive demand. You know, there were a cohort of traditional broker dealers who users had put in orders for to buy IPO stock of SpaceX, and they couldn't fulfill those because of the massive demand. It was you know, two to one oversubscribed. That happened on the crypto side too. The crypto side, a lot of it was dependent on you know, a broker dealer having access to those shares and they pre sold you know, participation in those shares on the expectation that they'd be able to access the actual underlying shares and we'd be able to fulfill those orders. It was done a little bit differently on the traditional side. The way that usually happens is you put in a conditional order, like an indication of interest. It's like a conditional order that says, you know, if I can get twenty shares of this, I would like to buy that, and you know your usually your money stays in your account. If they can fulfill the order, your money moves and that transaction is executed. The reporting is that some platforms on the token is stock side had actually pre sold and said, you know, get participation in SpaceX stock, and they actually collected investor money, so you know, when they didn't get the shares to underlie those stocks and issue them, the investors were disappointed. Understandably, they had to refund the investors money and stuff, So it's not like people lost money. To me, it's sort of an informational lesson to be learned of. Sure, investors have to know exactly what they're buying. They have to do reading or let you know, Claude do reading for them on exactly what they're what they're buying and what the risks are. And you know, am I one to get these shares? Hopefully it'll tell you no, you know if that if that's there, and the disclosures, but you know, all that money was refunded, so it wasn't like it was a scandal. It was just a little bit exposed that some of the token ized stock offerings, the differences among them and what you're actually buying. Are you buying a synthetic asset that just has price exposure. Are you buying something that purports to actually have a share of stock behind it? You know, with the Solo Tech stock tokens, you don't get the token until you select to buy that stock through our broker dealer and the stock is purchased, and at the same time, a token is meanted that you can hold, so you're never going to have one without the other. And so I think you know, with an IPO like this and transacting in advance of it, you know, things might have gotten a little ahead of themselves. But you know, I don't see I see that there's more a lesson than some sort of tragic occurrence.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, poor execution maybe that type of thing.
Speaker 1: Well, and maybe it's tragic you didn't get into SPACEXIT at that price. I mean I think it's below that price.
Speaker 2: Well, on that note, do you see in the future, you know, given that all these assets are coming on chain, that companies are going to IPO on chain versus the traditional way.
Speaker 1: I think you're likely to have actually sort of initially what we talked about. You're likely to have companies in the same way that you can have an IPO and you can have it i PO in the US and also simultaneously have like an ad R depository receipt issued abroad, you know, or have a representation of an issued abroad. You know, you might see things like that where these two different markets. I said ad R eight R is actually for foreign companies to be excess the US market. But you can have you could go public on you know, the London Stock Exchange, New York Stock Exchange, if you were sufficiently big.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: I think you will have, you know, pools of equity reserved for on chain, pools for traditional and we may get to a world. You know, we talked about if the institutions and the major markets all moved towards on chain infrastructure. Yeah, I mean, then exactly what you said on chain i pos will be how you do an i PO initially, you would think, and the movement is likely to be a little bit more of on the on chain component is kind of a sidecar to the other I P O. Maybe that becomes the main IPO and the traditional is you know, so we'll see how it plays out.
Speaker 2: Do you think individuals, let's say an Elon Musk decides to tokenize himself, that that might be a thing her ownership or it's like you can bet on on him in a certain way.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's more on the meme coin side of things versus it.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a prediction market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thing, but but in a whirl of tokens can be issued and and you know, things can be monetized.
Speaker 1: Why not, Yeah, I mean, look you could. I mean I joked about prediction mark like, sure, I'm sure there is there's probably is a contract out there is Elon Musk gonna do X next week next week like that. You know that's probably probably you could probably buy into that if you need to want to. But yeah, I mean I think celebrities, certainly David Bowie, the Bowie Bomb, and this is I don't even know if I was alive when when those were issued, but you know I've read about it. You know, you could have a lot more celebrities, artists you know that say hey, you know, I don't want to wait till after I'm dead and my catalog gets you know, securitized. I want to do it on still alive and raise money and so people you would quote unquote get a piece of them, yeah, you know, in terms of what they're producing and the revenue from that and that kind of thing. And I think the Bowie, I mean, he had to sell if memory serves, that had to be done through an SPV, you know, special purpose vehicle, and he had to sort of the rights had to transfer to that, and then they were issued out of that. So you'd probably see something analogous happening now. I mean a lot of tokenized assets are done via an SPV like structure because yeah, I mean there's not for for several reason, for legal removal from the actual a set for ease of actually just saying this is what is being fractionalized because we set up this SPV and you're just selling interest in the SPV rather than something getting really messy. And if it's real estate, you're saying, we're gonna sell direct interests in this building. Okay, the disclosure document for that's going to be prohibitively large cause you gonna have zoning and like everything. I mean, if you're buying the actual build, you know, so rather than an entity or structure that you know holds rights to that kind of thing. So yeah, I mean a lot of really interesting permutations of this I'm sure will be coming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fascinating. And that's a great example with David Bowie's, you know, with his catalog and things like that. A lot of artists could do that and maybe they could get more money because they'll be able to bring in liquidity capital from across the globe.
Speaker 3: Versus just in.
Speaker 2: The United States and specifically it to a record label or things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think so, you know, it's I mean, in that industry, really is. Specifically, there's already a lot of interesting stuff going like Taylor Swift and having like Taylor's version, you know, because everyone went with her, right, I mean, I didn't know what that was. My wife eventually explained to her that she's also a lawyer, so she was like, oh, that's interesting. That's cool. But you know, you've got fan bases following the artist. You've got the artist saying you may have bought all of this stuff in this version, but there's a new version and you should buy, you know, and they want to support it. Yeah, you can definitely see things like that being on chain and UH and really having a lot more UH distribution and liquidity on chain.
Speaker 2: Now we're in the cusp of getting the Claritiact pass. It's we actually get some good news today that you know, the bill is going to make its way to the Central Floor in July. Obviously we got to wait for it to pass. We don't know what's going to happen. But when that passes, do you think that unlocks more innovation with tokenization, allowing more institutions to you know, dive in, even though they may be dipping your toe right now.
Speaker 1: I think it will help to a degree. I do think Clarity is an apt name for it, because I think it's a lot about clarifying existing law, not about making new law necessarily. It's a lot about putting down in writing what lawyers who've been in this space for a while have been able to discern around where is the SEC and CFTC boundary lines, where do they fall? But it has always been, you know, a big gray so you have had to make judgment calls and that sort of thing. And I do think Clarity will make hopefully live up to his name and make that a little clearer, and we'll also make it clearer get lawyers for everyday people to be able to understand, you know, what is what asset wise, what's the security, what's the commodity? Who's a regulator? Who have to worry about, Uh, don't worry about who I need to engage with, you know on this that kind of thing. I think the missed opportunity for Clarity is that you don't have a lot that's prescriptive of saying how you can move from assets that are currently in the physical world to get on chain representations of them and to allow that to happen in a more efficient way. I think that'll be coming. I think there are institutions that perhaps not perhaps I mean it's you know, reported publicly that there's institutions that have been hesitant to get as involved in the crypto space as they might have because, yeah, maybe they hold a a broken dealer license, but what they want to trade looks like it might actually require a CFTC registration. They don't hold that, or they don't want to go through the process of getting it, or they don't have a contractual relationship with any will allow them to access that market or something. So it's not black and white for them, so they're not not going to do anything right now. Hopefully it will clarify. Thanks for institutions like that, But I think the big unlock will come once you have law out there that says you take an asset, you take an asset, and whether it's an innovation exemptionure, whether there's prescriptive legislation and regulations that then come that say this is how you can tokenize an asset and have it on chain rather than needing to seek an exemption from FENRA for how settlement's going to happen. You know, that's now law, and you don't need to go one by one and seek exemptions. You know, this is the law, and there's going to be sec regulations around it. So I do think that there will be an unlock coming once we get to the more prescriptive side of how do you tokenize things? How do you make this easier rather than having people having issuers need to go and seek exemptions and that kind of thing, which if all the exemptions are granted, great, but that's still an additional step, and that's friction that doesn't allow a market to grow to the potential that it otherwise would.
Speaker 2: So Ashley, ten years from now, twenty thirty six, what do the markets look like with tokenization in place?
Speaker 1: We'll absolutely have I don't know, twenty four hour a day trading, but probably twenty three hour a day, five seven days a week trading. You know, we're not going to be constrained by market hours anymore. I don't think things are becoming too global for conventions like that. I think to continue to hold. But you know, so I think that that innovation, I mean that has already been coming to a degree, but it's been sort of forced also by what's available on chain now and just how quickly settlement can happen in that context. So I think that there will be efficiencies like that. I think that you're going to have markets that will have a plethora of assets beyond what's currently available in UH to a mass market audience. I think you're going to have You're gonna be able to go to t X or other markets and be able to transact in almost anything, whether it's a physical you know, an r w A, whether it's an event contract, whether it's traditional I mean, inequity is r w A because unless you've got an equity already on chain as it's sort of you know where it natively was issued, but you know, equities, derivatives, all of that, you know through our regulated partners are are going to be available and UH, and I think it's going to produce a lot of liquidity that, like I said at the beginning and we discussed, is currently siloed into this is where you go for this specific market. This is where you go for this specific market, both geographically and in terms of product.
Speaker 2: Going to be very fascinating to see how that plays out. And I'm assuming AI is going to be a big part of it. In helping manage and markets when we're sleeping and things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I was actually just messaging some of our engineers earlier about this of you know, AI is a really interesting technology to come about in parallel with crypto markets and tokenized asset markets, because one can't really exist without the other if you think about it. I mean, I guess it could. But if you've got AI and you have agents that are ready to transact in or transact or transfer money or whatever it is, it's difficult to think that they're going to do that over like ach rails, or that you know, they're going to only operate during market hour, you know, like whatever it is. Like, it's difficult to see AI fitting into a lot of the traditional ways of doing things. But what it seems tailor made for is to transact on chain because it can talk to the un chain systems. They can interact. They can you know, if it's solo techs, stock tokens or other TX network tokens. The AI can see the programming there and read the restrictions there, and I mean it almost obviates the need for like an oracle. If it's an AI agent and the aigent knows when I read this programming, I am not allowed to do this with that. I should do this with that, you know, whatever it is, whether it's a restriction or a mandate, I think it'll be a really big efficiency transformation. Oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for the day when I can have an AI agent trading my assets twenty four to seven and make me more money, hopefully. Hopefully.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would probably still, I don't know. I'm sure that people who check the market to an obsessive degree would still check the market. Okay, and they're holding to an obsessive degree, but for sure, my mom is that way. It's fine, it is what it is.
Speaker 3: You know, absolutely, actually great stuff. I have some wrap up questions here for you. First, early bird or night out.
Speaker 1: Get up around six, get a better around midnight. So I'm not sure what camp that fits into. I'm not like a four am person, sure, but you know, I kind of Yeah, kids have to go to school, so I got to get up at a certain period of a certain time, or the stuff that has to happen before they leave doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, I'm in the same boat, and I do have sometimes have to work a bit late, so I'm moked HT midnight sometimes windows seater or aisle aile, text email or call text. And if you could have dinner with any person living or debt, who would it be.
Speaker 1: I think it would be Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 3: Yea Besos, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: I always think about that photo of Jeff where he's in the old Amazon office.
Speaker 3: Would have spray painted.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just think the like I remember when Amazon first came into being, and I, you know, I was, I don't know, in high school maybe, and I was like books. I was like, all right, you know, I can go to Barnes and know what you know. But my dad was like, yeah, but it's much bigger than books. He's building a distribution networked. Like, I just think it's really interesting and I think he's uh. Having some time with him would would be a really interesting uh dinner or lunch whatever what the question was. But sorry, I know you have other stuff.
Speaker 2: Favorite city in the world, Mexico City, and best advice you've ever gotten.
Speaker 1: I think the best advice is know what you want and get it, Go get it. And I think that's true in in any regard. If there's something that you think is right and do you think has potential and do you think that to the exclusion of other things, pursue it. If there is a person you think you should be with, and don't break any laws, but make it happen, you know. If there's something like a house that you think you should get, you know, find it with. I mean, life is too short to have regrets, and it's too short not to work on trying to make everything a reality.
Speaker 2: Great advice, Ashley, Absolute pleasure. Love what you and the folks at TX are doing. Thank you so much for taking the time.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much. This is a lot of fun and I'm really excited to have another conversation once TX is up and live and we can show you everything. The app's supposed to be out this week, so I have it on my phone already. It's cool and I can't wait for everybody else to see it.
Speaker 2: So we're recording this on Wednesday, June twenty fourth, So the app you mentioned will be going live this week, so I'll put links in a description for folks to check it out. Thank you so much for tuning in. Please hit the like button subscribe if you haven't as yet. If you're listening on a podcast platform such as Spotify or Apple, Please follow and leave a five star rating.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much.