Speaker 1: This is later with Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast More What You Hear Weekday Afternoon's on the Drive.
Speaker 2: He and another group of senators were the first to approach Kimberly Cheedle, the former Secret Service head, and ask them or ask her about what happened during the field assassination attempt. Senator James Langford was there at the Republican National Convention when the Secret Service had showed up. He's here now because he still wants answers and he and his committee are going to try to get something. Welcome, Senator James Langford.
Speaker 4: I agree to you as well.
Speaker 2: My first question, Senator, is when you saw Cheadle in the halls of the Republican National Convention. Was your question the same as mine? Wait a minute, what are you doing here? Why aren't you at the scene investigating this thing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was actually my very first question. I'd just been on a call with her earlier that day to be able to go through some of the tales, had not been able to get answers from her, and none of us knew that she was going to be at the RNC, And then we found out that she was up in one of the suites that had slipped up to be able to be there. So yeah, there's myself and three other senators. We went up to be able to confront her and to say we didn't get answers earlier today on the call, we'd like to get answers right now. And I also wanted to ask her about are you coming in front of our committee that we had already asked for her to be able to appear, and she wouldn't give an answer to that. We now know she's resigned, obviously, but I do have the next in line at Secret Service that's a fearing in front my committee tomorrow because there's still quite a few unanswered questions that we've got to resolve to make sure this doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Again, no kidding, And everybody has questions. I mean, you talk about ground that is fertile for all kinds of conspiracy theories because there's there are no answers, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The number one thing that we oppress them on is they should be out every single day doing press conferences, say this is what we've learned in the last twenty four hours to dispel all of these rumors, like Democrats are running wild on this rumor that the teleprompter was shot and it was actually glass that hit the president's as if that makes a difference on it. They've still got a shooter trying to assassinate him. Whether it was a bullet or glass, the number one issue on that whole thing. To dispel it, they need to step up and say, the teleprompter's still there, it was never hit.
Speaker 4: By a bullet. So that's ridiculous that there's even this rumor out there that it was even glass at all.
Speaker 3: Then you've got everything else that goes along with it about the Secret Service.
Speaker 4: Quietly leave this.
Speaker 3: Open, and you know, all these things that are out there can be dispelled with facts. But the Secret Service and the FBI are failing to be able to get every day just to be able to answer the questions. So we're going to put them on record tomorrow and get out there and try to answer as many questions as we can't.
Speaker 2: Please don't tell me may Orcus is on the list to be interviewed.
Speaker 4: He is not.
Speaker 2: It's all he's going to say is, oh, everything's fine.
Speaker 4: Everything's good. Nothing to see here him, move along.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I've got multiple questions here, you know, starting with obviously the way they screened it, he the assassin attempted assassin who did commit a murder there as well. He was at the site multiple times. He had searched the day that he registered to be able to come to the event. He had also searched that day as well. How far is the shot that Lee Harvey Oswald took to be able to kill President Kennedy? And so he had been working on this since the sixth of July, But then he was at that site multiple times. He had flown a drone over that site earlier in the day and no one had picked up. Okay, this might be a problem on it. It had been identified as suspicious an hour before he took the shot. Local law enforcement was trying to be able to track him. They lost track of him. They had notified secrets OUs, Hey, we lost track of somebody we saw that suspicious. That should have been a moment that Secret Service should have been able to make the decision and say, let's pause until we find this individual that we've just lost that they all considered suspicious, that he can't just blend into the crowd, Let's not start the rally for another ten minutes. What would have been the harm in that one. And then you've got a situation where one police officer climbs on the shoulders of another police officer to look on the roof. After spectators had said, hey, there's somebody on that roof. They looked up there. When they got up there, this kid turns around with his rifle and points at a police officer who immediately comes off the roof. Then he calls it in. Now we've got twenty eight seconds from the time he calls in there's a guy with a gun on the roof and there still was no response.
Speaker 4: Twenty seconds doesn't sound.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of time, but in the NFL, that's about the length of time it takes to run a play, gather up, do a huddle, and run the next play. That's a long time when you've got someone on the radio saying gun. Why wasn't there to meet response at that point and there wasn't. So, yeah, there's still a lot of questions after your respond to.
Speaker 2: A lot of shots can be fired off in twenty eight seconds, as you know, Senator, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, Canny, that was twenty eight seconds before he took the first shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 3: From the time they identified there's a guy with a gun on that roof till they even took the first shot twenty eight seconds.
Speaker 2: Senator James Langford's with us. His committee is going to be asking some questions tomorrow about the assassination, and he's his committee is looking into it. Is this is what I've been saying all along, Senator. Usually when you think that something is so screwed up it is a conspiracy. Usually it's due to just massive incompetence. Is that the case here, because it looks to me like the director of the Secret Service wasn't even up for the job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was not one mistake. This was a dozen mistakes that were made that day.
Speaker 3: As it typically is when you get into something like that, it's not just one thing that slipped through. You had to have a lot of things go wrong. And that is where the conspiracy theory all come and say they couldn't have been that many.
Speaker 4: Things wrong, But yeah, there were.
Speaker 3: The more that we dig into this, the more we realized, no, they were just getting relaxed.
Speaker 4: They were doing all these outdoor rallies that they just were.
Speaker 3: Getting to relax on it and not doing the basic job that they were really first responsible to be able to do and they were trusting local law enforcement, which is good. I mean, local law enforcement wasn't the problem here, but it's that they weren't didn't have clear lines of communication, they weren't tracking, they weren't even meeting.
Speaker 4: We understand Secret Service didn't even meet.
Speaker 3: With them earlier in the day. Because this has just become a routine. Think about how many rallies Trump is done, that they've been at all these different rallies and set up and everything's just gone like clockwork. But they let their guard down. They didn't do the due diligence, and we.
Speaker 2: Had this Senator James Langford's with us. Any chance anybody else getting fired.
Speaker 4: Oh no, there's a very good chance of that.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we've got the folks that were actually on the ground that day that were making decisions or in this case, not making decisions. We still don't know why once we lost a suspicious person in the crowd and they couldn't have they couldn't figure out where he went any more, they knew he had disappeared and was trying to evade police, why there wasn't a pause done. So we're still trying to find out who was that? How did they make that decision? Why didn't they make the decision to be able to pause the rally until they found him. If that would have been done, obviously those shots would have never been fired.
Speaker 2: Senator James Langford's with us? And what is binding about this investigation of yours? Is there a chance you can get somebody in a trial or in a criminal court?
Speaker 3: Unlikely that we end up been in a criminal court, though we don't know yet all the details on it, but that's unlikely. This seems to be just a whole series of really terrible decisions and mistakes that were made through the process on it. We do have new leadership in Secret Service. I've already met privately with that new leadership of Secret Service, a very different attitude than Director Cheeta had. Director Cheetah was like, yeah, we got everything covered. It was kind of a may orchest like attitude. The new leadership is stepping in and saying we made major mistakes. I'm already making serious changes to how we do things.
Speaker 2: Senator James Langford, we will be watching the questioning tomorrow, which I'm sure will be televised, and the questions that you will be asking. So Thank you for joining us and giving us a preview today.
Speaker 3: You bet glad to be able to walk through it. Continue to pray for the nation. There's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and iHeartMedia Presentation