Speaker 1: Good evening, gentlemen, welcome to another night of fire up. How are we tonight?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 3: Slam fired up?
Speaker 4: Oh Samir subscribed as cricket wireless again.
Speaker 3: Uh the mirrors so fired up. He came early and left and family show eyes up here, Ladies and gentlemen, it is fire up, Fire up your friars, because tonight I've got a little bit of an attitude. I'll be honest with you. So the the grease is hot, I'm fired up. The fryers are fired up. We know candies fired up always mere man, he just came back for a second round already. We're less than a minute in and Samir is already back for round two. Baby, So Jeremy Samir, You guys tell everybody where they can find you. Listen, we got plenty of sports talk tonight.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: I can't wait for it. Y'all better stay tuned with Jeremy Samir. The floor is yours for a moment. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Well, you can find me with my writings under the South Florida Tribune under the heading for the Motor City Tribune. You can also find me on my channel, which is naec at Biting with the MotorCity Lions on YouTube this channel on Thursday nights with you great people doing fire Up. You can also find me on the Huddle Sports Network chats. They're on YouTube channel and also an app on Amazon, Firestick and Roku.
Speaker 5: All right, you can find me every Thursday night on fire Up, and you can find me on Twitter at atl Underscore Samir two four oh one. I'll be posting a lot of my media content articles there and I'll just be posting a lot of them Atlanta sports content there as well.
Speaker 1: So awesome, awesome.
Speaker 3: Hey, Candy, can I ask Samara a quick question? So the two for zero one? Right?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is is that significant at all to you? Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, yes, I mean yes.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, just curious if if it I didn't know if there was like a birthday tied indo there somewhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, could be.
Speaker 3: I mean there's there's a lot of four digit codes out there. No, I wasn't asking for your pen number, but I didn't know if it was a story you could tell. So, I mean that's my I'm in the same boat, and that's why I ask. I can't sare why that number means something to me a little bit? I gotcha, So, Candy ma'am, it is all yours. Where are we gonna lead this thing off this evening?
Speaker 1: You know, I think we gotta start with something that's gonna happen that's gonna be the first that's gonna happen in Major League Baseball, because I mean, I just got you. I mean, I know I'm talking here with you gentlemen, but as a woman like this is really I think kind of cool because for the first time in MLB history in a regular season game, they're gonna have a female umpire and they're gonna on Saturdays. She is gonna work. Her name is Jen Powell. She has done some of I think spring training games, I think she started, but she's actually going to work the basis on Saturday.
Speaker 3: For play she got called up she does as well. Sorry, yes, she's.
Speaker 1: Going to do the plate on Sunday, which I just think is really cool. And I'm not actually kind of wondering, like why did it take so long? Like we're talking an umpire, We're not talking you know, anything else, like why did it take so long for it to be the first woman to umpire regular season MLB game? But I'm just kind of curious as to you guys, what your thoughts are about the first female ming an MLB?
Speaker 3: And yeah, Samara, you said you spoke first, U lead it perfect. That's exactly where I was going to ask you go go ahead.
Speaker 5: I mean, considering that you have female officials in other sports such as the NBA, you've seen quite a few NFL, I feel like that number is growing. I feel like it was only a matter at time before the MLB got one.
Speaker 1: So okay, Jeremy, you gotta take.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be better than everybody thinks because low and behold, how many times over the years have we watched men fail to call a proper strike zone? Good lord, I mean, I swear that one guy, it cost Galarraga at first a perfect game, and it was clear that guy was out by over half a step. We're not talking where it was close. It wasn't bang bang. He was well over half a step away, and it was a blown perfect game.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I love the fact that you just dropped the bang bang. It wasn't bang bang. You're right, Yeah, that was horrible with Galarraga. They miss that call. And y'all, I think we'll just tie this all in together because I want to read some comments. Candy just mentioned from Jen she'll be on the base pads the first couple of games and then she is gonna be behind home plate. We've seen egregious terrible calls. Jeremy just mentioned them, Samir, and we can all agree, like Jeremy just said, men most of the time, they get it right most of the time, but they're wrong too. Nobody is perfect. And honestly, the first thing that popped in my head is I've got a mother. You've all had a girlfriend or a wife. Candy, you're a woman. So thankful to have you to give your take on this. But we finally get an answer to life's world longest question. Are women always right?
Speaker 1: Listen?
Speaker 3: I want nothing more because male umpires have done it. They come out and they call a one game. It's rare on balls and strikes, I mean take them out. Well, we figure out that call, but the balls and the strikes? Can a woman always be right? And I'm so thankful that she'll be behind the home plate. But at the end of the day, Samir and Jeremy, Samir, you first. At the end of the day, we just want it right right pretty much?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean pretty much. Can they call balls and strikes correctly?
Speaker 4: Can they.
Speaker 5: Know the difference between an outfield fly and an infield fly? You know.
Speaker 3: Things like that, Like, oh, that's a good question. Will they know the infield flight rule? Some of the players don't even know that rule.
Speaker 5: Some of the players won't even know that.
Speaker 3: So we've seen that happen.
Speaker 5: Yep, we sure have.
Speaker 1: So I want to make I want to tie it back to what we were talking about earlier. MLB's move comes twenty eight years after the gender barrier for game officials was broken in the NBA, ten years after it ended the NFL, and three years after the Men's Soccer World Cup employed a female referee.
Speaker 3: Right, okay, and here let me take blame and then I'll pass it to Jeremy and the samar That was partially my fault. What did take so long for it to happen? I don't think we've had any comments, but we appreciate Pensman and Tiger Stripes and rx J for being here. Valutations to all you guys. But I asked them in the chat too, why did it take so long? It wasn't that it took so long, just the NFL and the NBA were ahead of the game.
Speaker 4: Amen, Yeah, I think.
Speaker 3: They and now the MLB obviously trying to come back and correct they say, you know what, we've never had a woman referee in the NFL. You know what I mean, Like, referee is the lead position. So I got a feeling if she's behind the plate, she will be the what is it the crew chief? I think they call it in the MLB. Not to be confused with NASCAR, which we all will talk on Southern right sports in South Florida Tribune. Don't forget about NASCAR. But yeah, it's not like it was all understood, and so Jeremy passed it back down to you and samir ral.
Speaker 4: Why did it take so long? Because the MLB is the original old boys club. That's what it all boils down to. And what is that misogynistic to say, not as a fan seeing it from the outside, but for any of those people that said they shouldn't the entire time that was within the MLB organization, they were wrong for doing so. Equal rights for people of both sexist to have a job has been out for how long now?
Speaker 3: Yeah? As wild and then samir again, can a woman always be right? And why did it take so long for the MLB.
Speaker 5: I think anybody can be right, anybody can be wrong. Why it took so long for Major League Baseball? I think Germany. I think Jeremy's right. Major League Baseball was the original boys club, per se. Like for example, major League Baseball started in eighteen seventy six, they didn't integrate until nineteen forty seven, so that's almost eighty years in. It took them that long to just integrate. So I would say it kind of has been behind the eight ball a little bit and compared to the NFL or the NBA in that regard. So I think Jeremy's right on that.
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna say, and I agree with Jeremy that I think it's the good old boys club. What I don't understand is girls play softball and we've played it for how many years? And that's so close to baseball, just like girls play girls basketball, like girls don't play football for the most part. So how we got into football, referee and as opposed to not into baseball before surprises me, Except the NFL is pretty good about like doing all these new things and expanding and going overseas first and now like MLB's going overseas and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: But right, oh yeah, well, I was just gonna say exactly. So someone commented today on mine and we're like, yeah, women have done really well in coaching. Pat Summit comes to mind, Dawn Staley came to mind from a p Digits loyal listener, yep, and he commented that, and these ladies know, if they're going to get into any sport, baseball and basketball, they're universal.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And have we even seen an MLB woman coach yet, like in the Major League I.
Speaker 5: Think San Francisco anywhere years ago.
Speaker 3: I think you're right, Candy, Mike can do that search for us real quick to find out if a woman has ever been a coach at the MLB level. I feel like you're right, though I know.
Speaker 1: There was one in the minor leagues because I think there was one over in uh not Sarasota, but down here and for spring training that I remember women right well.
Speaker 3: And and again while you're searching, it to universal sports, So Jeremy, hey, check this out, Samir, listen to this, NBA, MLB, they're universal sports, softball, baseball together. And so this is a conversation leading us down a rabbit hole. But the NFL is trying to pursue to be a universal sport going global with their games. They've had the women, they're obviously women's flag football. The MLB, though, what can they do to grow? What else do they need to do?
Speaker 4: Basically open it up at the lower levels to allow women to play as well as referee ahead of time. That way we can see if any of them have MLB talent. Because I know when I played Little league, and this was in nineteen seventy eight, I'm talking about in seventy nine, there was girls on my baseball team.
Speaker 3: So there were girls on the football team that played my son this year.
Speaker 4: Sorry, go ahead, I'm saying those are co ed leagues. But when it says it said sign up for boys summer and I see eight girls name on a twenty five person roster, that tells me that the interest is there for girls to play baseball. Why aren't they allowed in intramural sports with the schools?
Speaker 1: I agree. I'm going to quick say kudos to Samir because you definitely got it right. Alyssa, I don't know if I'm sounding her name right. Nakin n akk E n is the first woman to coach in a Major League Baseball geam, making her debut as first base coach for the San Francisco Giants back in twenty twenty two. She was also the first woman to hold a full time coaching position in MLB, joining the Giants staff in twenty twenty. More recently, she has transitioned to the Cleveland Guardians for a player development.
Speaker 4: Role.
Speaker 1: Good job, Samira, you nailed it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because I remember from a few years ago they hired one. I just I just remembered because I think they were I remember watching one of their games and I think it was pointed out.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like I said, I thought I was right behind you. Hey, I was right, and I am right by association because I agree and I agree with everybody most of the time. Jeremy Samir appreciates you guys being here. Candy, where what's up? We're done with that conversation, I think so.
Speaker 4: But we do have all other We do have one other person that's been in the official value capacity in the MLB. That's a woman that has handled all of the scouting for the New York Yankees the last fifteen years. I can't remember her name, but she does the scouting for the Triple A, the Double A, and the Single A getting all of their undrafted players.
Speaker 1: I mean, Kim ng was for the Marlins and Yankees a high position too, so now she's doing now she's in charge of the new softball league. But yes, but I mean I don't think I don't know if we'll do. We think we'll ever see a female manager.
Speaker 4: I think eventually you will. I think eventually you will. I'm quite sure there is in one of those little low A or single high A affiliates that hardly anybody knows about. I'm quite sure there's probably a female assistant or a base coach already that is probably being groomed. I don't know the.
Speaker 5: Answer to that question. I don't know. I remember, not too a few years ago they were there was the belief that in the NBA, Greg Popovich's replacement was going to be a female. Than ultimately that didn't happen. So I really feel like that question is up in the air.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 3: I am right along with y'all. I mean, as you just mentioned, Becky Hammond m supposedly coaching waiting for the Spurs. Just so happened to get hired to the WNBA before that happened.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I can't say what I really want to say as far as women getting chances to be managers, coaches and all that. I'll tie it all in together. I want to see it come. We've talked about Don Staley getting head calls for the head coaching job at the Knicks, like it's not far from the realm of pibility. But Asamir said, I don't know. Could it be five more years, could it be ten more years? I mean, what woman right now could we highlight to be that coach? You know what I mean? If you can't name her, If you don't know the top recruit, that means that the MLB and stuff, the NFL and they're not talking about it that much. If you don't know what their number one recruit is, if you're not hearing a peep and a chirp about these people's names, if you're not hearing a sizzle, so to speak.
Speaker 1: I mean, do we think Caiton Clerk will ever be a coach? I mean, she's playing right now, but let's face it, they only play for how many years? Do we think she you know, she's a big name popular. Could she be the first female.
Speaker 3: At seventy five thousand dollars a year? I think she's looking to play for fifty years if I'm her, shoot, y'all gonna have to drag me off this court. I've brought you all of this and you still lost money. WNBA. Don't even get me into the economics and the WNBA. I've already cooked that. Golly, I've already cooked the WNBA. So much about that. But yeah, I mean, who Caitlin Clark? When I said what I said, she was the first one that popped in my mind. Name me one softball player that played for the USA women's softball team. Name me one, and I'll say she could be a mob head coach. But you've never heard of whoever I'm talking about. That's the problem, right right?
Speaker 1: No, I agree?
Speaker 4: I agree?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Anyways, yeah, yes, topic, Yeah, anybody else? Anybody? Women? Umpire? Uh we got p digits over here in the stream, he said, he brings nothing to the table. You're a liar. P digits, You're a liar. You missed my earlier comment in the stream where it says I might be a little bit sassy. This evening. So kay, yes, by all means, what do we got coming up next?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the topic that the title is. The preseason is here? Who's playing and who should be playing? Now, Samir, I know you just wrote an article about this. I don't know if any of you have been watching the game tonight, but there's also there's already an injury. Ravens rookie cornerback Ball Cone tore his ACL and mcl into night's game.
Speaker 4: Out and he was considered what their fourth cornerback or their third cornerback at best on the roster right now. This is just more proof why coaches like Dan Campbell and everybody says that he gets more out of the joint practices that they can control what happens versus putting him in a preseason game where it's full contact and less controlled.
Speaker 1: Well, and they haven't been practicing for that long to ramp it up to playing a game already. To me, I mean, they've only been practicing for what a week or two weeks?
Speaker 4: Some of them started three weeks ago. There's like four teams that started three weeks ago, two of them being the Chargers and Lions because they had the Hall of Fame game last week, right, so you know. But yeah, you're right, But this all stems back. If you think about it, all these soft tissue injuries. All you gotta do is go back to the death of Corey Stringer in twenty seventeen because all the rules change for offseason workouts the next year, no to a days, no extra OTAs, no no mandatory weight training. You couldn't make players do it. They had to want to do it themselves and all because he didn't hydrate himself and the coaches didn't catch it in time. And I understand it's a tragedy that he died. I'm not making fun of that at all. But you saw a thirty percent increase from twenty seventeen to twenty eighteen in soft isssue injuries, and it's gone up by three percent every year until it finally plant out at forty five percent.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like I understand both sides of it in regards to who should play in the preseason and who shouldn't. And I mentioned this in my article. You know, every year there is a debate within various NFL fan bases, especially ours here in Atlanta, on who should play in the preseason and who shouldn't. And I think a lot of that basis in favor of who should play your saying or people in favor of their team's starters, especially offensive starters playing is that you know if you get if you play your starters for a driver too for at least two of the games, you can knock that rust off and find the best way possible to avoid a slow start to Week one or a slow start to the season. On the flip side, you're risking injuries to a player on your roster that can potentially impact the outcome of your season. And my argument is that if I were a head coach in the NFL, I would play my starters, especially my offensive starters, no more than around one to two drives in two of the games. And I feel like with think about the Falcons is that we have lost six of our last seven Week one games. In those games are offensive averaged sixteen and a half points. Week two they usually play better in a lot of and a lot and I think most of those Week two games they've ended up winning. But I feel like it goes to show that in the NFL, you want to start fast. And the thing is, let's say you have a rookie quarterback or a second year quarterback who hasn't gotten a lot of NFL reps, I feel like that quarterback should play like as I mentioned, the series or two for two to three games because they haven't had enough exposure to the speed of an NFL game or the or what or the speed of an NFL defense as a quarterback like an established veteran would like. The ironic part in all of this is that Joe Burrow and Patrick Mahomes, who are who have been on playoff runs, who have played in Super Bowls. Mahomes has won three Super Bowls, multiple MVPs. Those guys have played in our playing games in the preseason. Meanwhile, Michael Pennix Junior, who has only three NFL starts under his belt, is not getting any snaps in tomorrow's preseason game against Detroit. The hope is that we will see him in some aspect of our first team offense next week in our preseason game against the Titans. And my issue with that is we had a new quarterback last season in Kirk Cousins, the first time play caller Zach Robinson. The starters got zero playing time in the preseason. They came out Week one against Pittsburgh and looked out a sink. Pittsburgh won that game without scoring an offensive touchdown, and as I mentioned in my article, the turning point of that game could have been avoided if the starters had gotten some playtime in the preseason. There was a miscommunication between Kirk and one of our Titans, Charlie Warner, resulted in a bad snap in a fumble, and we were leading at that time. We were driving into Steelar territory. That basically changed the momentum of the game, and we ended up losing that game without giving up a single without our defense giving up a single touchdown. So, for example, like the Bengals have traditionally not played Joe Burrow and their star skill players in the preseason, and it feels like every year they come out Week one and look flat. Like for example, that loss to the Patriots team that ultimately ended up winning four games last year could be attributed in large part to Russ because the very next week, if we don't remember, they went to Kansas City and took and almost beat the Chiefs and their offense looked a lot better. So me, it really depends on the circumstance. If you're an established veteran quarterback who is familiar with the speed of an NFL game and an NFL defense, and you have that continuity and chemistry with your teammates or coordinators or whomever, then no, you don't need to play in the preseason. But if you are a young quarterback who is still getting used to the speed of an NFL game, like a Michael Panix, like a cam Ward over in Tennessee, then I feel like those reps could be beneficial.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jeremy, your thoughts.
Speaker 4: Well, all we got to do is look at one team and the fact that they've been in the Super Bowl how many times in a row. Andy Reid and the Chiefs. Yep, that team plays starters in every preseason game every year, even in the last game. It's just like a little mini preview. Two drives in, they're out, or a quarter. That's a recipe for success. That's what it was. The entire NFL with the four game fourmat They would play a quarter, then they'd play a third, then they'd play an extended almost a half, and then they did play a half. Why not at least let them do one or two drives every game, get the rusted off to get him in games.
Speaker 5: Yet, Yeah, like I remember, for a lot of the years when Matt Ryan was our quarterback, he would play in the preseason all the time. He'd play about he'd play almost a full quarter in about a game or two, mainly one game, and they'd come out week one and a lot of times I think we won most of our games when he was here week one. So yeah, I feel like it does. People want to say that it doesn't make a difference. I think, in my opinion, it does. You know, and I've heard the argument that, well, the Eagles didn't play any other starters last year and look what they did well. Again, whether or not you play your starters in the preseason, there's no correlation between that and regular season success. And in case people forget the Eagles down a slow start last year, especially Jalen Hurts, like Jalen Hurts turned the ball over a lot in those first that first hand full of games, and again he didn't really take off, or that offense in general didn't really take off until about week six or week seven. Now, they did have some injuries. AJ Brown got injured in the game against the Packers. I think DeVante Smith had to miss a game or two, but still it took them time to get caught up in the speed of an NFL game. So yeah, I feel like it does make a difference. But me, it really it's really all circum depends on circumstance, right, and.
Speaker 1: Candy, I was, yep, go ahead, I was gonna say so in all the years that we had, even Aaron Rodgers, and Aaron Rodgers obviously has been the head of the quarterbacks for how long and it took us to a super Bowl and everything. I think even him, because there's always going to be rookies on the team and there's always going to be new people that you're putting in or you're put changing positions. I think you have to put them in in the beginning because otherwise the Packers had looked I thought they looked flat the last couple of years coming out, especially when we even had Rogers because he wouldn't play in the games in preseason, and I think that was wrong because I think the timing you miss, your timing, you miss, especially rookies. Last year with Jordan Love, like, how well was he connecting with his rookies and and there's a difference between practicing against your own defense and being in games with a different defense and recognizing and not just for the quarterbacks, but even for the wide receivers. You know who is covering me? How quickly are they? How can I get open? How is it the D line you know, guarding me? And stuff like that. I think they should be playing at least a series or two, if not maybe the first quarter. And yet they run the risk of being injured. I get that. But they can be injured in practice. They can be injured the first game of the regular season if they don't start ampting up. I mean, it could happen anyway anytime, let's face it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I feel the exact same way. Like people are saying, well, we can't risk an injury to somebody on our roster. Well, I mean hypothetically, and you know, God forbid, Michael Pennix could fall down the steps at his home and hurt himself.
Speaker 3: So a skiing skiing hurt by it one way?
Speaker 5: Or j C. Horn with the Panthers just got into a car accident the other day.
Speaker 4: Let us he had some stitches. He'll be fine, but he has got he should be back by the first week of the season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, like like someone can get hurt the first play of week one, like And I think Candy, you were right, like referring like training camp, scrimmages or joint practices as getting assimilated to live game action. I just don't think it is a sufficient means of doing so, because you know, people aren't going one hundred percent. A lot of times you don't have pads on, but in a real game, they are going one hundred percent, and you have to be ready to remember what it feels like to get sacked or to have somebody coming at you full speed, things like that. So again, just my whole point. It does make a difference. I feel.
Speaker 3: She absolutely it does, all right, And y'all I might have to take a moment on this one. Yeah. I've been sitting here, I've been listening to everything you guys have to say, and it's helped me gather my thoughts. That's what I love to do. I don't necessarily like to copy or anything. So that's not what you're hearing. You're hearing a conversation here on Southern Fried Sports with the South Florida Tribune, where we have fired up the friars. Say that three times fast fire up the friar and it ain't that hard. Good deal. I like it. So that's what we're doing. And y'all did to me everything y'all have said. I was already thinking it, and I was like, oh, man, Samir just led me there so greatly. And then Candy said the same thing, and I'm like, man, she led me there so greatly. And then Jeremy he said something, and I'm like, man, it's just all beautiful. So at the end of the day, the most difficult thing to do for an NFL coach is to balance the play between starters and potential roster cuts going into the season. I do not want that job. You've got so many great football players right in front of you, and you know, you know that some of those players can help your team get to the next level. You never know when there's a random fifth round quarterback, seventh round quarterback Rock Purdy, Tom Brady, you never know when there's a sneaky wide receiver trell O. I don't think it was drafted that high. Randy Moss, I don't think was drafted that high. Jerry Rice, none of them were drafted that high. And so to Sameir's point, practice and games are not the same. No, no, they're not. What you get from practice from a player does not translate into getting it on the game field. And so I hate it for colleges. Colleges they don't even get to play a preseason game. They I mean, they just get to go play against themselves. What do you learn about yourself? I mean, you learn a lot about your own team, but you're not learning anything about anybody else. And so it's a very difficult thing to balance though. All Right, so you got coaches, they're trying to get game film for the year, but they've also got this list of players that, let's be honest, some of the NFL coaches might not even know their head name, their first name. I mean, what, you're coming here to practice for a few weeks. You're an un drafted free agent. But that's why they've got to earn their spot and make their name be known. So where do we put the balance though? For you guys, Like I've heard everything y'all said, and that's where I land. Yes, your starters need to play, they need to get reps. You got to be on the field. I just said. Practice and games are different. But you've also got to find your diamond in the rough. You've got to find whatever it is you need to get to the next level. It's a tough job in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Agreed, Agreed, I mean, where do you Who is you going to be number two? Who's gonna be number three? Number four? I mean, let's face it, some of these some of these teams have how many different quarterbacks on their roster right now, and you know they're not gonna be able to keep them all. So who's going to be where? I would say, in a perfect world, I would say you would play the first couple of series, whether it be two three series, with your starters and maybe going up to the first the end of the first quarter, and then you start putting in more people. But part of it also depends on the other teams, because are then you playing yours second string against their first string or is it their third string against your second or your first string? Like that's where it gets interesting.
Speaker 3: And and two things to exactly what you just said. So the whole emotion and the nervousness and the feeling leading into a game. So say you've got this rookie, though I mean all of them rookie. They never played in an NFL game before. They have never once played in an ANFL game. Sorry, I felt like I said that really fast, so I wanted to repeat it. Some of these guys have never played in an NFL game, so I almost want to put them out there first to see if they can harness that nervousness, those emotions. To me, it would be a mental test, and then I would bring my starters in. The starters. If they've started an NFL game, they've already gotten over those emotions and that nervousness. So to me, if there's I don't know what the NFL rosters, I know they got to trim down to fifty three. I don't know how many they have currently, But if there's twenty players that I'm observing, coaches are pulling out those tricks to test their mental capability. And if you think I'm lying, you don't know ball. That's all I can tell you.
Speaker 1: So JD, I can tell you that during the NFL preseason each team, each team can have up to ninety players on their roster. This allows teams to evaluate a large number of players, including rookies, free agents, and veterans before making final cuts to reach the regular season limit of fifty three players. The final cutdown day is typically in late AUGUSTA.
Speaker 3: I was right about the fifty three. I did say that.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I don't know how many on the thirteen on the practice squad I believe it is. And every week there has to be what is it? Is it six or seven practice squad players activated each week for being dressed because there's something like that. There's a rotation that they allow and that allows you to rest your your depth on your roster.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's somewhere around that.
Speaker 4: What I what I'm worried about is, let's say that they pushed this eighteen game season in. How are they going to mitigate the extra game? Going one less preseason game, which means more soft tissue injuries will happen in the regular season, Less starters will see the field than we already see because you only got two games to evaluate your lesser talent to fill your roster. Are they going to expand rosters that way they can handle the extra low because I think they should expand it at least to a sixty man roster and maybe go to a twenty man practice squad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I think you can definitely evaluate that in two ways. You can evaluate or you can address the roster evaluation gap that would be present by expanding rosters. Maybe you expanded to hypothetically sixty players instead of fifty three. Maybe, as you mentioned, Jeremy, the practice, you increase the size of the practice squad from thirteen and maybe twenty twenty five players, and you address the injury soft tissue gap by adding a second bye week and going back to sixteen games.
Speaker 4: Oh, they won't know, they're gonna push it forward to eighteen games. But the second bye week I completely agree with. And I think the one should still be a rotating by week, and when you travel overseas, it should be like what the Vikings and another team is doing, where they actually spend two weeks overseas rather than one week, come back and then go back, and then when they come back after that two weeks because a jet lag, automatically, those teams that come back after their two weeks overseas gets their rotating bye week right after that. The other bye week should be right there at week nine the trade deadline. That way, the new players come in, they have a whole week to learn the roster and the playbook and everything get acclimated for their team, which actually gives them two weeks to acclimate.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I just feel like I just feel like the right way to go about that would be to have two bye weeks. You have every team gets a bye week early on in the season. Then everyone gets a bye week later on in the season, hypothetically sometime after Thanksgiving, because you've you've got teams right now with bye weeks in week five, week six, and you've got some teams with bye weeks in like week ten, week eleven. So the kind of bounce I think you need to and that's the soft tissue, the different injuries that could come with expanding to an extra game hypothetically.
Speaker 1: I just want to quick say, the practice squad is sixteen players, just.
Speaker 4: So okay, all right, yeah, so you add four more to that and add seven to the regular roster, be a total of an eighty man roster in a regular season, right.
Speaker 3: Okay, And so y'all have all led me right to this question. That's what happens. Good question comes from y'all's conversation. Thank you, Candy, shut the NFL, eliminate the preseason altogether. I mean, my goodness, I just mentioned how important it is to learn about these thirty seven players you have to cut. Technically, you still get to keep what was it, sixteen, Jared Okay, so technically you've only got to cut twenty one, but you've got to split a field of thirty seven players. Basically, fitty fitty Okay. Everybody knows how math works. It's a hard but if you're not getting to see these guys play a game, I mean, just get rid of the preseason. Just do it like college preseason or no preseason.
Speaker 4: I say, you have to have a preseason because we just said how the practice that they do, the joint practices are, is it the same as games that it doesn't get them ready? And we see these teams come out flat and have two weeks of awful football nine times out of ten at least. I mean, your bad teams look bad for up the four or five weeks. Look at the opposite end of the spectrum. There was a team that played a lot of starters last year in the preseason other than the Chiefs, and that was Chicago with under Matt Eberflus and they came out like Gangbusters, went four and two in that big fluke where treeque Stevenson runs across the field pops a hail Mary up in the air, so Noah Brown catches it and the Commanders win, and the rest of the season was new and interesting. Ways to lose to a week eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hear you.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Those guys need to how to see people in games exactly. And you got to see your starters again. Back to my another point I had just mintygo it's a difficult job. How do you balance not getting someone hurt?
Speaker 4: So if you eliminate the preseason, how do you cut trim the fat from game situation out of those extra players that you were just talking about?
Speaker 3: College football? Does it?
Speaker 4: I mean the division one day you can have up to one hundred and ten players on your roster, though seventy of them are are scholarship in some way or another, the other forty or walktimes. So there's a big difference between an NFL one with a structured salary cap, which they don't have in college either.
Speaker 3: M Right, Well, it sounds like we're disagreeing, but we're not because what I'll say is either have a preseason or don't. Don't don't trim it down. So, like, like I said, I want all these players to have a chance to play in a game, to show the team that they can do something when those emotions and nerves are happening. So two games isn't enough. So I'm saying, if you're gonna trim it, the two, just go to none. But I prefer them to have four, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Qu Kane Sisk has a great point there about Dabo Sweeney that he's been pushing for a preseason in college just for the reasons. I say, Yeah, like.
Speaker 3: I said, that's what I'm saying. Either be like college and don't have any, or keep four.
Speaker 4: Well, de yeah, I mean you're talking about a college guy asking for a preseason, is what I'm saying. He's a college coach, That's what I was getting at. Yeah, he's asking for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I understood that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, And and technically he could say that those three out of conference versus cupcake teams like we see every year, that that's their preseason.
Speaker 3: But they don't get them all at the beginning of the year. That's not how it works in college anymore. LSU and Clemson open up against.
Speaker 4: Each other, that's great a line of.
Speaker 3: Plays Virginia Tech and and you don't get a preseason before that. That's what I'm saying. Either keep the preseason for the NFL, though, or don't and go full college because two games that's not enough. So, like, I would just prefer you to either stay at four or hey, let's be really fun and just go to zero.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I don't know about zero. I don't think you could do zero. I would say.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying do it. I'm just saying that's the choices. Oh yeah, I definitely I would prefer zero over too.
Speaker 5: Though well, yeah, I feel like two wouldn't make sense. But yeah, if you're gonna do two, you might as well do zero because two games, I don't feel like is enough time to really evaluate the guys that you need to evaluate, like the fringe roster guys, maybe the who's gonna be your third running back, who's gonna be your wide receiver, six things like that. So if you're gonna do two, you might as well do zero, But which I don't see them doing.
Speaker 3: Oh and hey to up he digs. He just said spring game revit like read if they've gotten rid of.
Speaker 4: Those, there's teams that don't even do the spring game anymore. And that's kind of stupid too, you know. Uh, And believe it or not, it's a lot of the SEC teams that don't do the spring game anymore. The the SEC, the Big Twelve, all of the Big Ten still has their spring game because they make it, uh, freshman and sophomore versus junior and senior like a basically like a during the homecoming week with the powder puff Girls game between the underclassmen and everything.
Speaker 3: Right well and then okay, so over here to Cane's point I was about to take I was about to type back and say this, but I'll just say it on the air. To his point, like these two preseason games in college, you could literally just make everybody schedule the same way. So for the first two weeks, uh, an SEC team like South Carolina plays Presbyterian College the way that it used to be, Like Jeremy mentioned, where you get those three cupcakes right out the right out the gate.
Speaker 4: And every now and then a cupcake could win. Who remembers Appalachian State versus Michigan.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, Citadel has beaten South Carolina game Cocks that once but twice.
Speaker 5: Who was it that Notre Dame loss to like Northern Illinois? Was it Northern Illinois?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you never know, but yeah, just like just schedule it. But I was saying you could get away with the disrespect of calling it a preseason game, you know what I mean, Like, it could be a preseason game without you having to like call it that because we're talking about extra games played for the players and stuff as well. So, but yeah, two games is not enough to check your starters and evaluate talent four or zero, no in between, Candy.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna reel it back in. Let let's get into our previews of the Let's start with the AFC West preview Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers. What do we think is gonna who do we think is gonna take it? What do we think you know going forward? Samir? Why don't you start?
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely so AFC West. My pick to win it once again will be the Chiefs. However, it's not gonna be like the past few years were. Basically, by the time Thanksgiving is over, and we're in early December, they just about have the division all but wrapped up. I think it is going to take them a lot longer, maybe more towards the end of the season, like maybe week sixteen or week seventeen is when they could have this division wrapped up. And I think that's in large part due to the fact that look at the Denver Broncos. Now you've got we know about bow Knicks, we know about the offensive line that, in my opinion, is extremely underrated, that wide receiver room. I like Marvin Mims, I like Theayley. They just locked up Courtland Sutton for the near future. And then and I think any offense led by Sean Payton. I'm not necessarily a fan of Sean Payton, but any offense led by him is going to be in good hands. And that's where they're at now. But really, when you think about the Denver Broncos, it's about their defense. You know, we know how good that front seven is. They've got Zach Allen and Nick Benito up there. They add Greenlaw from the forty nine ers, they get Whufonga, They've got PS two who, in my opinion, who is the best corner in the NFL. They are one of the best defenses in all of football. And what is it that they drafted out of Texas in the first round, Jeremy.
Speaker 4: The Texans, Oh Baron.
Speaker 5: They got Jaday Barron, who was great value for them for the twentieth overall pick, and I think him and PS two are going to be a really good duo back there for the foreseeable future. So I still have the Chiefs winning that division. I have Denver taking that next step is to where I feel like if they go ten and seven again, I feel like it's a letdown for them. I have them at around eleven wins. And with the Chargers, they were one of these surprise teams last offseason. Jim Harball, Joe Horst. They did a great job doing what they could do with that roster, getting into the playoffs in year one. Fortunately Justin Herbert fell apart in that playoff game through four interceptions against Texans. I do like the Quinn the Normally I don't like drafting running backs early, especially in the first round, but the Quinn Shawn Judkins pick will I feel like it is a good pick for them. You had Lad McConkie who had a great year and is looking to take that next step. You've got Keenan Allen back in the fold. While he is older, while he's not the wide receiver that he once was, he still is a reliable piece. And and the crazy part of it is this, they traded Keenan Allen for I think like a fourth round pick. They used that fourth round pick to move up. I just saw this today. They used that fourth round pick to move up and get lad mcconkeye in the second round last year, and now you bring him back. So it really fell in favor for them. That was That's a good job on their part. The question for them really is more about their defensive line. In their front seven, they lose Nick Bosa. They still got Khalil Mack there, but who else. It's gonna be Khalil Mack and who else. And you've got some nice pieces in your secondary. You've got Tarheeb Steell, who was a young defensive back underrated. Derwin James, if he can stay healthy, is one of the better safeties in the NFL. So but they did. Their offense of line took a blow today. Rashaun Slater. They signed him to a big contract this offseason. Had a Tormaniscus and he's out for the season, so that is a big blow for them. And outside of Joe all their offensive line looks shaky on paper. So they have the talent on the outside, they have talent in the secondary. They have the coaching, especially with Harbaugh's er head coach Jesse Minter is their defensive coordinator, where I think is gonna be a head coach real soon. It's just how is their offensive line gonna hold up? And how is their front seven gonna hold up? And the Raiders, I think they should be entertaining, especially offensively with the pieces they have, but I still think it's gonna be another rebuild year for them.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jeremy, your thoughts.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna come down to the Chiefs and Broncos as well. I don't know who's taking first because the Broncos have taken a step forward, and I feel like with some of the losses on the O line and on the defense, that the Chiefs may regress just a little bit. So I think it's gonna come down to them too, and the Chargers and Raiders are gonna be fighting for last place because I think that's one of the most competitive divisions in football. You got the AFC West, the AFC North, and the NFC North. Those are the three most competitive divisions there are. You might as well splash in the NFC East because they are very competitive with the three teams that could contend for the top. And I say three because I don't think the Giants can.
Speaker 1: Okay, JD your thoughts on the AFC West, man, I'm coming in for a splash landing into this grease because I've told.
Speaker 3: Y'all one told you already again tonight. The AFC West is by far the best division in the NFL. Okay, period period. I think the young ones say because the one girl on a viral video one time, but the AFC West. Okay, let's just start out the top. The Kansas City Chiefs. They won a lot of one possession games last year. I was literally about to try to search it real quick to see what the record was for teams this season. After winning a lot of one possession games and a gout of feeling, the fans this year are not gonna be as happy. You just can't have I mean, luck is not a thing, but you just can't have that good of luck. Two seasons in a row. Some might call it being good, some might call it being great. I don't know. But the Chiefs last year, I mean they almost lost to my Carolina Panthers.
Speaker 5: I mean have lost to us.
Speaker 3: They almost lost to the even worse Falcons. Hey, I was just kidding me. No, you spoke up, so I had to throw that in there. Listen, Hey, the Falcons, man, y'all did exactly what I wanted to do in the draft. Anyways, the Chiefs, though they're man, I don't know if they can repeat, like I listen, They're still gonna be in the playoffs, obviously, still gonna be very good. Obviously, no doubts in my mind about that. And everybody wants to keep saying Broncos Chiefs, Broncos Chiefs. Well, may I present to you who's got it better than us? Nobody? And we can even throw the Keith Sweat song in there. Nobody, Nobody, baby baby, whatever he says in that song. Nobody's got it better than the Chargers. Okay, Broncos Chiefs, Chargers, bro every one of them's gonna have at least nine wins. Whoever in between wins their three games against one another or there's six games against one another, bro, that'll settle the West, and it's gonna be Those are gonna be fantastic games. And then also, can I give you Pete Carroll Sorry SMN, I'll throw it right to you. Hold on, let me finish this one. And so Pete Carroll, hey, I trust the dude to win six or seven games. And they've got some talent for the Raiders. They brought Geno Smith. He's played well as a build him up quarterback the last few years. So to my main point, the AFC West best conference in football and Samir take it away.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what I was gonna say is again, I do think the Chiefs are gonna win. I meant I forgot to mention this earlier. Big question for them is, well, the question mark for them is their wide receiver room. They did bring back Hollywood Brown, and it's not really about the because they've got some good pieces in that wide receiver room. It's really about a Ken Xavier Worthy who showed flashes in year one. Can he take that next step in year two? B How long will Rashi Rice be suspended? In case you forgot so, he is coming off a season ending injury. Number one number two, there is a good chance and it seems like all signs are pointing towards it that he is going to be suspended for multiple games. I think it was summer twenty twenty four he had the him and Mike I think four or five of their cars got into they were racing, got into a big car crash on the highway. I think a woman in that guy injured taken to the hospital. So he was charged with speeding or racing on a highway and causing bodily injury. And based off of what the NFL has found in how this thing is going, it seems like he is going to be suspended. Well. I think it was also the fact that him and like five other people fled the scene. So how long is he going to be suspended? Can Xavier Worthy take that next step? And let's face it, Travis Kelsey's lost a step. He's not the side end he was a few years ago. There were rumors that last season was going to be his last year. Ended up coming back. But I do think in the next year or so he is going to hang him up based off of how this thing is going. Yeah, because like everyone talks about Mahomes and whatnot, But the driving force for them the past couple of years has been their defense. Again, like Denver, it's one of the better defenses in the NFL, especially their front seven. They have Carl Aaftis, Chris Jones, Nick Bolton. They did pay Bolton and Carlaftis this past offseason. They've got Trent McDuffie in their secondary, so I think their defense is going to be good and ready to go. They did get a Norman lot From in the draft out of Tennessee, so I feel like their defense, as long as Spags is there, is going to be in good shape. It's just can they put it together offensively? Not that they haven't been together, but can they get back to a resemblance of what they were early on up until twenty three to twenty four.
Speaker 3: All right, hey, and while you were talking Samara, we got this great question. Throw it back to Samari real quick. Let's get him. Let's get his live reaction to this question. Dude in AFC West has the best offensive line?
Speaker 5: You, sir, go, I still got to go with the Chiefs. Yes, they did lose Joe Tuny in that trade with the Bears, but they've got uh, let's see, but they do have Preed Humphrey, who is with the best center in football. They've got Trey Smith, They've got Juwan Taylor, and they drafted Josh Simmons out of Ohio State, who apparently is off to a great start in training. Can't take that with the grain of salt if you want to. But still the only question is that left guard and who's going to place Joe Tuny. So on paper, I still have to go with the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: Okay, you go on paper, I'll go on results. Yeah yeah, oh yeah, yeah, Hey that's what. Yeah, So yeah, you you take the results and on paper, and I'll take a coat. I'll take hardball. I know that he loves the on the ball. I know he's got some running backs out there for the Chargers, and I know he's built up their offensive line, so I would have to go. I mean, and the Broncos too, I mean Cole Leek. Really, at the end of the day, between in the AFC West, which this is what all of this has spurned from, is the AFC West Talk says people like to think we get off topic. Sometimes that's how conversation works. There's ends and flows to it chat, so AFC West, though, I gotta go Chargers with the best offensive line, Jeremy, Who's got the best offensive line in the as.
Speaker 4: Right now, it's the Broncos. Especially if the Chargers just lost for Sean Slater for any length of time in the season, you have to say the Broncos because the loss of Joe Toney, You'd have to say that it that the Chiefs have lost part of the interior. And your tackles only play as good as your guard. When you lose an all pro guard, that's a downgrade. I don't care what you say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, I'm not. I'm not denying that because again, as you mentioned, your tackles are as good as your interior. Now with your interior, you still have the best center in football. Yeah, you have the best center in football in Creed Humphrey. And you've still got Tray Smith, who is an above average starter as a guard.
Speaker 3: Right Okay, And I just tweeted it or posted it to the chat. Here's what I'll say. I have bad luck as a fan. If I pick my team to win, they lose. If I pick one offensive line to be the best in the division, I'm normally always wrong and so none of us pick the Chiefs. So guess what, the Chiefs will have the best offensive line in the AFC West. And Candy, you've just been back there observing all of this. Yeah, I didn't wait to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 1: I'm just you know, taking it all in, guys. It's just trying to figure out. I really I think Broncos are gonna take it. I think they're Thanks George, thanks for tuning in. We appreciate it. But I really think that they've taken a step forward, and I think they're hungry. And I'm not saying that the Chiefs can't. The Chiefs are going to be up there. It is going to be a tough division. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: It's like I said, I was just gonna.
Speaker 1: Say, I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet. I don't know if it's the best there. I mean, some of these divisions are very tough. I've always thought I was gonna say, the NFC North I think is really tough.
Speaker 3: That's a good choice as well. I can't argue against it. Jeremy, what do you think hardest division in the NFL?
Speaker 4: I think it's the NFC North, Right, now top to bottom. I think it's the most complete division. I think the bottom of the division is going to be nine wins and the top of the division is going to be twelve or thirteen wins, and it all depends on how well they do outside of the division. I think every team has the chance to split in the division and still get to those numbers.
Speaker 3: Well and see, I listen, like, I agree. The AFC West I think is equally as like right there, Like I literally just said that thirteen wins and nine wins between those top three teams, but I said it comes down to how the team's play in the division. You're absolutely more correct, I think in that regard. When you say it's more about the out of the division, I wasn't mathing math right there.
Speaker 1: I agree. Okay, so are we kind of done with the AFC West. I think it's time. I think it's time let's go to the NFC West. And Samir, since you started the last one, I'm gonna say, Jeremy, why don't you start with the NFC West.
Speaker 4: Well, the NFC West, it's pretty simple. I think it's the rams division to lose. I think Arizona and Seattle both took a step forward, and I think with the injuries and all the losses everywhere on the roster, I think the last place team in that division is going to end up the forty nine ers again.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, same your thoughts.
Speaker 5: Oh, I agree, this is the Rams division to lose. Not only are they might pick to win the division, they are also my pick to come out of the NFC. I know Stafford's a little banged up, seems like he'll be ready to go week one. Kyron Williams did get paid, and while it does seem as if his touches are gonna go down given that they've got a Blake KRM in their backfield, they just drafted another running back in the fourth round this past year. I believe as well. It does seem like he is going to be the RB one. I don't know if he'll be a workhorse back like he has been the last couple of years. Offense is still loaded. Pukainakua missed six games, still came just ten yards short of another one thousand yard season. You add DeVante Adams, who's an upgrade from Cooper Cup and then of course you've got Sean McVay. One of the best offensive minds, if not the best offensive mind in the NFL. Really, there just aren't really a one of question marks for them offensively. Now with their defense, they do have one of the best defensive lines in the NFL Byron Young, Braden Fist, Kobe Turner, the Raindy defensive rookie of the Year, Jared Verse. He had four and a half sacks last year. I definitely think that number will go up in year two. Usually you don't see an edge guy breakthrough until about year two or year three. I think this is gonna be his breakthrough year where you're gonna see him get eight and a half, nine, maybe ten sacks. So I do think he's going to take that next step.
Speaker 1: Right on, JD, what's your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Okay, So who, Jeremy, who did you pick to win the NFC wes the Ram, Ram and Samir.
Speaker 1: They said they both said Rams it was the Rams division to lose.
Speaker 3: Well, you say, Candy that curiosity, No, I say the same thing.
Speaker 1: I think the Rams are hands down the best team out of that division. The forty nine ers have you know they've deep digressed lately. Cardinal Seahawks, that's gonna be those are two interesting ones. But yeah, I think the Rams for sure.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I have no argument to what all of a said. Here's what's crazy to me. I think one of the biggest questions in the NFC West is was it Sam Darnell or was it Kevin O'Connell.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was Kevin O'Connell. We've already seen it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've seen it.
Speaker 4: And made him into a star. Then he takes Sam Darnold first year after looking like a bum and made him into a star again.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and I'll tell you what if he does it again with JJ McCarthy this year. I'm right, I'm right there with you. So, but that's that's the question though for the NFC West, was it was it O'Connell or was it Donald? Because the Seahawks they can make things really interesting. The forty nine ers, I don't like everything they've lost. Well, just Son brought Bertie to a big contract and then you get rid of everybody. Yeah, ain't got rid of Yeah, not sure about him. No, But I feel like this is the type year where in Arizona or a Seattle can sneak up.
Speaker 4: I got to the Bolsa Brothers, the one that played for the Chargers. Isn't he now a bill and help for the season because he got hurt already in OTAs, he's no longer a Charger because the other Bosa still plays in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Ill they had joined forces.
Speaker 4: I know, I know he's out for a significant amount of time.
Speaker 3: So we are Joey or Nick.
Speaker 5: Nick is with the forty nine ers.
Speaker 3: So Nick's with the forty nine.
Speaker 4: Ers, So we need to Joey Joe if I remember right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as his last listed team. Yeah, seven twenty thousand dollars salary.
Speaker 4: I love it means he goes, but he's not clutch when it matters. Perfect fit for the Vikings that coaches.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, Samir. Sorry real quick, but here's what I know. I know if I type my name in to a search engine that you I won't find out that I'm six foot five. I am one point nine five six meters two hundred and eighty pounds or one hundred and twenty seven kilograms. I play defensive end and right defensive end. I was born on July eleventh, nineteen ninety five, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I make seven hundred and twenty thousand dollars a year, and my one parent is John Bosa, and I went to Saint Thomas Aquinas High School in Florida. So I mean, at least you can look up Joey Bosa and you can find out all that out about him. Not that bad of a gig, right, Jeremy, that's right?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Anyways, to me, go ahead, what were you about to say?
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, I'm gonna do some on the forty nine ers. I feel like.
Speaker 3: You're all out on the forty nine ers.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not all out. It's actually the opposite. So they did lose Green Mall. They did louse Hufanga both to Denver, as we mentioned, but I did like what they did in the draft. They got Mike hil Williams Alfred Collins to get some youth up front in their defensive line. Deebo Samuel is gone to Washington. Brandon ni Yuk is rehabbing and coming off from a tourney. Acl Based off of what John Lynch mentioned earlier, it is likely he is going to be inactive for Week one. George Kittle is getting older now. Ricky Piersall second year wide receiver. In case you guys don't remember he was the one who was shot unfortunately before his rookie year in San Francisco last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Piers All, Now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the question is can and he developed? Can he take that next step? And how is Brandon? Are you gonna look rehabbing that torn acl Christian McCaffrey, this is his third career season ending injury, and he's got a lot of mileage on him. He's had multiple lower body injury injuries as well that has caused him to miss a significant amount of time. It's pardon reason why the Carolina Panthers ended up letting him go a few years ago. How is he gonna look at twenty nine? Going into year nine with a lot of mileage? Brock Purdy got fifty million. That offensive line is is older now. With that being said, even with all of that, I just don't think you can count out a Kyle Shanahan led team because they're because they're gonna be coached well in every game. Now, Seattle, I don't know. I'm just not as high on Seattle as some people are. You make the move from DK Metcalf, you're bringing Cooper Cup so Jackson Smith and jigba is clearly the wide receiver one there. But I just don't see how Cooper Cup is an upgrade from DK Metcalf right now in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: It's not that he's an upgrade from DK Metcalf, which DK Metcalf was more of a head case than a consistent player. He'd have five games where he'd have well over one hundred and fifty yards, but he'd have seven games where he'd disappear because he's a head case. That is Cooper Cup. Cooper Cup, he's consistent, He's gonna do what he has to do as long as he's on the field to get the ball and run after the catch.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Now my question for them is up front their offensive line. It seems like it's been an issue for years, and I think it that, along with maybe Ryan grow not being the best NFL level offensive coordinator, led to some of their offensive struggles last year. So they did draft an offensive lineman early. Let's see how that pans out. But I'm just not as high on Seattle as I am on the other teams in that division. And also, as you mentioned, Southern Friday Sam Donald. They paid him a boatload of money. Was it him or was it Kevin O'Connell, and I think we're gonna find out.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, yeah, we're gonna find out. That's the beautiful thing about it. We won't find out in the preseason though, to tie it back to our earlier conversation, we won't know Sam Donald is back to being a great quarterback until the regular season. And so, Candy NFC West, did you have more to say about it?
Speaker 1: No? No, I I was pretty good with it. I you know, charge, I agreed with the panel that I think the Chargers are gonna take it. Ah. San Francisco is on the bottom, and it'll just be.
Speaker 3: Hol up Lake time out rewant you said chargers, Candy, I know there's two l A teams, But.
Speaker 1: Oh did I say chargers?
Speaker 3: Did I say that? You did? Just say the Chargers are gonna take it?
Speaker 1: Oh, I did not mean the Chargers are gonna take it. The Chargers aren't taking anything.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry it's so awkward to correct people sometimes, But yeah, she did say that, right, Samir, Yes.
Speaker 1: I meant I meant the Rams.
Speaker 3: And we knew because we knew right. But people be trying to twist it yet.
Speaker 1: No, well, I'd rather be corrected and be correct than have it out there wrong. So the rams are gonna take it. Forty nine is are on the bottom. The only question will be is who is which one end ZIP two and which one ends up three. That'll be the interesting JD. You get your takes on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, yep, we're good. Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Quick take a station break because I haven't done this yet. My husband wrote a book, Lessons from the Microphone, Tuning into the Enduring Wisdom of Visionary Leaders. South Florida Tribune Publishing Company published the book. It's available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kindle, Google, and Apple Books. Talks about Scott's forty plus years in the industry and how it has evolved and changed. Get your copy today. There's also a link on our website www dot self Florida Tribune dot com where there is a plethora of great content, so go check it out. If you like to listen to podcasts, you can find us wherever you get your podcasts. And if you see that red subscribe button and you have not subscribed to the South Florida Tribune, please do so. Like us, share us with all your friends of and turn on that notification so you know when we go live, and then I'd ask you to obviously subscribe to everybody else that's on the panel because they're also here giving us their time. If you want to advertise or sponsor any of our shows, please call Scott nine five four three or four four nine four one. And if you want to be a gaster of topic ideas, you can always email us at South Florida Tribune at gmail dot com Southern Fraud. You had a topic that you wanted to bring up, are you ready to take us there?
Speaker 3: No, not a bit, no no no. I don't want to share anything about myself. I just want everybody to like, follow, share, and subscribe me. So yes, I do. I do have something. I'll tell you what. Let's get Jeremy to plug himself, Samir, plug yourself and I will set up this stuff to present.
Speaker 4: All right, Like I said, you can find me on my channel on YouTube, which is kneecap buy with the MotorCity Lions, where I go live, including this show which is on the South Florida Tribune but I cast it to my channel as well. You can also find me on the Huddle Sports Network. You can find me on the Huddle Sports app, on Amazon, Firestick, and Roku. You can find me on the South Florida Tribune channel every Thursday night, and you can find me on the South Florida Tribune dot com under the MotorCity Tribune netting.
Speaker 1: Samir.
Speaker 5: You can find me on Twitter at atl Samir dot me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: You can find me on Twitter slash xcent Atl Samir twenty four underscore, o me ATL Underscore Samir twenty four one. I'm gonna be posting a lot of my content, my articles, some clips from the show, and just some Atlanta content on there in general. You can also find me on fire Up every Thursday night at nine thirty pm.
Speaker 1: Nice. Nice, Nice. I know JD's trying to get some things ready, Are you ready, JD?
Speaker 3: Or No? Yeah, I'm working on it for some reason. No, I'm just gonna have to uh copy this clip broke. You keep ready?
Speaker 1: But yeah, you keep working on it. Then why don't we do our other segment, which is my town? So, Samir, what's happening in your town?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so two minutes or less? Yeah? Sorry, so the bra So the Braves did walk off? The Marlins eighty six wasn't looking good for a second they were down six to two. Drake Baldwin on two home runs, another great game for him. What else the Hawks? Seems like Trey Young and the Hawks are all in yet on an extension. Could be a numbers thing, could be a way out seat three and see how the season plays out before giving him that max deal. And with the Atlanta Falcons, they are in the still in the thick of training camp. James Pearce Junior is still standing out. Jalen Walker nursing that hamstring injury. He's gonna play tomorrow. James Pearce Junior seems like he'll play tomorrow. Xavier Watts, it seems like that young defensive nucleus is going to see a lot of playing time tomorrow. Who won't be playing tomorrow? Raheem Morris announced Wednesday Michael Pendix Junior will not play and neither will Kirk Cousins. We will see what happens next week. I've suggested that the starters do play, get some reps in the preseason, get some feet under them so they don't come out rusty week one in their division game against the Bucks. And that is my town.
Speaker 1: Okay, you heard me we're doing my town. You want to talk about your town.
Speaker 4: I know that everybody is freaking out in Detroit with the injuries we have, But we had Taylor Decker, Amik Robertson, and Kirby Joseph all returned to practice this week as well as I own see Vaki, second year running back. We also had a big injury, but it was a depth player because he hadn't broken the starting roster yet. In Nis Reichstraw, he underwent shoulder surgery yesterday and has been placed on the season ending I are the Tigers, on the other hand, are floundering, and we know this, but slumps happen. That's the game of the game when you got one hundred and sixty two games to play, That's.
Speaker 1: Correct, JD.
Speaker 3: That So in my town, ladies and gentlemen, the let me see if I can pause this video real quick. That's not playing for you all yet. On on one second, let me get this under control, all right. So in my town, I feel like my camera just froze. Can you still see me?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 3: Well, either way, So in my town, a Little League World Series team finally made the playoffs to the Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. Nice, I say, finally, it's happened before, but it's far and few between. These guys beat the defending champions in comeback fashion in this Southeast Division just to make it to williams Sport. But what I wanted to show you, guys is were you aware that there is sign stealing and cheating according to the rules going on in the Little League World Series? You've got it up. Yep. This is a long video, so y'all have to bear with me. I am going to try to fast forward it a little bit. But here we are. We've got Oklahoma and Texas West runners at first and second. The runner at second base is the key. Y'all pay attention and watch the video swinging a miss, caught a ball. Like I said, we're gonna fast forward through some of this in a minute, but we've got drama. Second base umpire has got problems. What are y'all think is going on right now? You tell me.
Speaker 1: He must be telling he must have seen something.
Speaker 3: At second base is tipping. Here we go, he's sicking the batter the pitch and so now here's the coach and there you go. That was the move you saw him, and the coach is like, man, he's just scratching himself. Are you kidding me? We're teaching little league players had to cheat.
Speaker 4: Houston Astros all over again?
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, And the rule was implemented in twenty eighteen, just after the Astros scandal. So now look at the kid. He's got his arms behind his back like, oh, I ain't doing nothing, I ain't doing nothing. Doesn't end up mattering here, strikes him out. Anyways, All right, let's fast forward just a bit. We got a walk. It's a runner at first. Oh, we're gonna have a hit batsman. Guess what runner at second base? Here we go again, all right, walk the loaded still runner at second base? Wait till what this kid does? Y'all watch this? And then, of course this is courtesy of John Boy Media. Great videos he does. But here we go, drama. Wait till y'all see what this kid does. Have you ever been a picture before? Yep? He does the warm up signal for a fastball. And here's my question. Are they seeing the catchers signals or are they seeing the picture's hand? And oh, here we go, hands behind his back. Look, but you can see him.
Speaker 5: Right there, right yeah.
Speaker 3: He literally says it, so could he see the catcher or could he see the picture? But at the end of the day, don't teach your kids to cheat, but also don't teach, like teach the picture to not tip his pitches. And so that is where I'm at right now, y'all. With the Little League World Series and Candy, we can remove that. I'll pass it everybody else, But that's me, y'all. Make sure to like, follow, share, subscribe at Southern Fried Sports. Appreciate, Jeremy appreciate it's a mirror, and Candy it's all yours.
Speaker 1: Oh mine? Oh my goodness. So where do I go with that one? Yeah, you definitely shouldn't be teaching you.
Speaker 3: Oh and oh I'm sorry, Candy, hold up time out. I didn't let the video play long enough. But they started chanting in the stadium. To Caine's comment, here, when did the parents storm the field? If you go look up the video, it's on my ex Listen, go look it up. But after they threw out the coach, they started chanting something about we're not cheaters or something, and then the PA announcer came on. It was like, we will not do that, And then the other team like cheered, and so yeah, it was a whole org deal about this whole thing with the Little League World Series.
Speaker 4: What was it that they used to say? Who was it that said it? If you ain't cheating, you're trying, you ain't trying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.
Speaker 4: Everybody's trying to get an edge, and they thought they figured it out but got caught. So it wasn't an edge all right.
Speaker 3: Well, in the fact that they had two different signals for it, apparently because the one kid got in trouble for scratching his leg and the other kid got in trouble for literally doing the picture's motion. But nonetheless, I mean, the coach got ejected. The coach got ejected. I don't know who ended up winning the team winning the game, but I know South Carolina IRMO South Carolina down near Mcgamecocks, they are represented, baby. So listen, somebody tried to tell me today that they didn't care about the Little League World Series. And they told me they didn't care about a woman being an umpire in Major League Baseball. And you know what, I bet you guys don't care about the NFL either. But we just made a whole show about it. So you know what, kick rocks or hit subscribe and be here next time.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna swing it back. Since most of you did my town, I didn't do my town. I have to brag because I don't get this opportunity to do it very often. But the Milwaukee Brewers, sorry Samir, we kind of swept you guys. Yeah, but we've got the best record in baseball and that is not something that you normally here. With the Milwaukee Brewers. It's great, don't get me wrong. They're playing really good ball. I hope they continue to play really ball, great ball because it's not about being hot now, it's about being hot at the right time, which is near the playoffs. Hopefully they can keep this momentum going. They just look like they're having fun, and that's one of the things that a lot of them have been interviewed and they were talked about, and they're just having fun and they're just a you know, a great group of guys. But that's really what's happening. I mean, obviously there hasn't been much. There's still the whole where's Jiannie is? Joanna's gonna stay in Milwaukee. Is he not gonna stay? Obviously, the Packers have started their training camp. They play this weekend too. They're saying they're gonna start their starters because we are playing the New York Jets, and Aaron Glenn said he's gonna start his starters, so it'll be interesting. I don't know how long they'll stay in. I mean, preseason is what we've We've discussed this to great lengths. How long will they keep them in? I don't know that means to be seen, but we have some new players that I'm interested to see and how it goes. So anything else, JD, did you get your what's happening in your town?
Speaker 5: Um?
Speaker 3: He's here?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I muted, sorry, but yeah. I tied it in with the Little League World Series, Okay. And then the other thing I'll say is good luck to Shedor Sanders. And when I say that, I mean it sincerely, because he'll be going against the Carolina Panthers. Number one defense Dave Canalis has said the starters are playing the first half of the preseason game against the Browns. So Sardoor Sanders, if you're gonna come out and perform against a terrible terrible, terrible, terrible, potentially Carolina Panthers defense. You might have a shot at being on the roster for the Cleveland Browns, but as of now, they don't have anybody else that's gonna play. Joe Flacco, no, Kenny Pickett hurt, Dylan Gabriel hurt, and then they just signed Tyler Huntley. So obviously Door Sanders is starting. So good luck to him against my home town Carolina Panthers, and good luck to my hometown Hermo Little League World Seria scene. They're not really my town, but by golly, they're my state, and that's what matters.
Speaker 1: There. You go any other topics anybody wants to cover. No, I think we did a pretty good job. We're gonna go around the horn. Everybody can. One last time, tell everybody how they can find you. We're gonna start with.
Speaker 5: Samir again. You can find me on x at atl Underscore Samir twenty four oh one. You can find me here every Thursday night at nine thirty pm on Fire Up. Thank you guys for tuning in. I enjoy being on here. I enjoy interacting with you guys, whether it be on here on social media. Peace out until next time.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna quick before before I'm gonna pass it off, I'm gonna say uh. Samir has also been writing for the Self Florida Tribune, so he does have his own drop down on the South Florida Tribune website, so you can check out. He just wrote an article talks about what we some of what we talked about tonight, so we definitely go check out his writing there is well, great job, Samir, Thank you, You're welcome. Jeremy. How can people find you?
Speaker 4: Nikat Biden with the Motorcia Lions is the YouTube channel also Huddle Sports Network. You can also find the Huddle Sports app on Amazon, Firestick and Roku. You can find me right here every Thursday night with Candy somewhere between eight thirty and nine thirty pm talking sports with JD. Samir and whoever else we put on the show here on fire Up, which I also put into my channel, and you can also find me on the South Florida Tribune dot com.
Speaker 1: Yes, writes too. Although it's been a little a little while, but now that NFL is coming back in, I'm assuming we are gonna see a little bit more of his writing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm still working on that. Off season article because I'm trying to put all the edition, subtraction injury stuff and just get us up to date.
Speaker 1: No problem, No problem, I'm gonna quick one more plug lessens to the microphone, tuning in to the entering wisdom of visionary leaders. It is written by my husband, Scott, the MotorCity mad Mo Morgan talks about his forty plus years in the industry and how it has changed and evolved. Go get your copy today. It's available on It's available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kindle, Google, and Apple Books. It's also available on our website www dot solf Flordatribune dot com. You can find us wherever you get your podcasts. Please subscribe turn on those notifications. We have some great videos if you're a hurt Miami Hurricanes fan. We put up a bunch of the media day interviews that Scott did. He interviewed Carson Beck Emery Williams, who's the backup quarterback, and Emery was kind of cool because Emory talked about being the backup to cam Ward and Carson and some of the differences. He has an interview with Jason Taylor up there, one of the coaches that played in the NFL. He also last night we did not get a show in because he was doing a pre record with Bob Ryan. So if any of you know who Bob Ryan is, that we will be putting that one up. That was a really long That was a long broadcast. But so go check out. Turn like I said, turn on those notifications so you know when people go live or when we put shows up. We're also going to be putting up videos from more from our trip. So I know we put that when we went to visit Chelsea Stadium, but there's gonna be some other ones from when we're out with the nature in Iceland, the Norway and Amsterdam. So definitely go check those out. JD. How can people find you?
Speaker 3: Make sure to hit like, follow, share, subscribe on Southern Fried Sports JD on YouTube. Make sure to just hit like, follow, share, subscribe on everyone. We've got Raiders and Seahawks playing right now. We've got Kine he's looking forward to Lions and the Falcons, and we've got like I said, the Seahawks. The Raiders. Oh, they're so close to a first down in this preseason game, sixteen to three sea Hawks with one oh five to go. In the first half. Find me on Twitter, on x on Facebook, find any of us anywhere. We're literally right here. It's not hard to find. Just hit subscribe on Everybody appreciate Samir and Jeremy appreciates Jeremy for being here. Thanks for letting me on your show. Saying goes to Candy and everybody else in between. Samir, you're the man, and I'm done with the Braves and with that, I'm done with this show and good night.
Speaker 1: So I just want to say thank you to everybody that's been comments, comments coming in. You guys all for being on the show with us. Hey, let's just let's just start to enjoy the season. Jeremy, you used to end our show, how.
Speaker 4: Jeremy, try every day to be a better person than you were the day before. That's the only way to make the world a better places or tray here. Much love to everybody in the chat and for all of you at home, don't forget if you haven't subscribed to do so, ring the bell for the notifications and come on back.
Speaker 1: Sounds good. With that being said, we'll see you guys all next week. Thanks everybody.
Speaker 3: Good Bang Bang Bang, Southern Fry Gang