Speaker 1: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six forty KFI and KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County. It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Good morning, and happy Tuesday, May twentieth. I'm Heather Brooker in for Amy King. This is your wake up call and we are so glad you're here with us today. Hey, there's Will. Will's just coming in. I may have been just hollering for you. Why do I just sound so country? All of a sudden, I was hollering, Wow, my Oklahoma just came out big and strong.
Speaker 3: Happy to be here you guys.
Speaker 2: Amy's taking another day of rest to get better, and we want her to be back at one hundred percent when she comes back, which hopefully be very soon.
Speaker 3: Let's say good morning to the wake Up Call crew.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Sam, Good morning, how you doing good? Sam is in for CODO this morning, So glad you're here. And then good morning too, and good morning and is here as Ali's and Will just cruising in at the nick of time.
Speaker 3: Oh, I guess you need to I got there.
Speaker 4: I want me is such a lovely like calm demeanor when he does good, opposite of reality.
Speaker 3: I love it. I want to do something fun today you guys.
Speaker 2: This weekend is Memorial Day weekend and shortly after is summer. Can you believe it's It's all happened so fast this year, So I want to hear from you. I want you, guys to use that talkback button if you're using the iHeartRadio app and send me a message. Let me know what you're looking forward to and what you and your family enjoy doing on Memorial Day weekend or at the summer. Do you go to the beach, do you grill out, do you take vacations like sit by the pool, or do you just like to continue watching Netflix from your couch. Whatever it is, I would love to hear from you. Use that talkback button on the iHeartRadio app. And I'm going to try to get to some of those messages a little bit later on in the show. But we have a lot of news to get to today, so let's get started. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call. The family of Ellie County Sheriff Deputy Alfredo Flores has filed a wrongful death lawsuit after he died from injuries in a mobile shooting range fire during a mandatory training exercise. The suit alleges negligence and seeks to stop the use of mobile ranges to prevent future tragedies.
Speaker 3: The body of twenty.
Speaker 2: Two year old UCSB student Tanner Prentice was reported missing on May seventeenth, and it was discovered yesterday morning in Big Bear Lake. Authorities say they don't believe there was a crime involved. The San Bernardino Corners Office is investigating. UCSB has extended condolences and is offering support to the campus community. A spring heat wave is building in Socaw, with the hottest temperatures expected tomorrow. Forecasters say his in the valley will range from ninety five to one hundred and three. That's as much as twenty degrees above normal. The heat advisory takes effect today around eleven o'clock for the San Fernando Valley, Calabasas, Agora Hills, and the recreational areas of the San Monica Mountains. Here's what's ahead on wake up call at four five oh five, President Trump has been working the phones to in the war in Ukraine, calling both Vladimir Putin and Vladimir Zelenski in a day of diplomacy. We're going to tell you what was said and what it could mean for Ukraine. At five point twenty, newly released photos show the bruises, drugs, and fear as federal prosecutors reveal disturbing images supporting Cassie Ventura's abuse claims against Sean Diddy Comb's we're going to have the latest from the courtroom. And a five point thirty five is a recession on the horizon. Experts say there's a thirty to fifty percent chance the US economy could take a downturn this year, and we're going to tell you what that means for your wallet and how you can prepare. And if five point fifty a lot of people are rethinking their spending habits amid economic uncertainty, from skipping brunch to postponing major life decisions. We're going to tell you how your how financial anxiety is reshaping consumers daily choices. Then at six ZHO five it's handle on the news. We're going to talk about the first aid trucks that are entering God after nearly three months of Israel's blockade. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A college student missing in Big Bear has been found dead.
Speaker 5: The Sanda Bernardino County Sheriff's Office says the body of twenty two year old Tanner Prentice was located in the water near Pine Nott Marina yesterday morning. The UC Santa Barbara student had been at Big Bear with a group of friends. He was last seen alive just after midnight on Saturday. They had all been staying at a cabin, but Prentice didn't return that night. Investigators say they don't suspect foul play. Prentis's LinkedIn page says he expected to graduate from UCSB next year. Michael Monks KFI News. The news is brought to you by American Vision Windows.
Speaker 2: Investigators say the man who set off a bomb outside of a reproductive center in Palm Springs may have shot test videos. Twenty five year old Guy Bartkiss died in the explosion Saturday. Investigators say he posted videos on YouTube months ago showing various homemade explosives. One of them shows a large explosion in a desert area. The YouTube account linked with the videos has been deactivated with the videos and they can no longer be found online. Former FBI official Robin Drake told KTLA he thinks this incident could lead to the start of a new area of investigation for the FBI.
Speaker 6: This is really going to be, I think a new data point for the FBI to start creating profiles and doing some deep research on this, because you know, if you have one, there's potentially others.
Speaker 2: The FBI says bart Kiss, who was killed, and they believe he is the one who set the explosion and he is anti pro life. All right, right, Let's take a quick look at your traffic with a crash on the sixth, so five and Wittier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've got some problems on the six and you know, I think they give you the wrong teas there or didn't you know what maybe that was from yesterday. Let's talk about something different. How about the five in the Commerce area. It's going to be the five southbound right around Garfield. Two vehicles, one of them is overturned. It's all in the right lane, and traffic stopped all the way back from Washington as a result. It's tough there. We've already got some backup in the Inland Empire as well. Two fifteen northbound at Martin Luther King. That's a car fire that got things backed up to the sixties. They worked to clean up that mess. And on the four oh five, I missed this one just barely, thankful, least southbound side of the four h five down there by a Ventura Boulevard. A crash in lanes, and traffic quickly stopped all the way back from the oneh one. Really slow there as you try to head towards the Subpulvita Pass. With Southern California's most accurate traffic reports, I'm wi Cole Schreiber.
Speaker 3: Thank you, will all right.
Speaker 2: On Monday, President Trump held separate calls with Russian President Vladimir Putin and Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelenski, aiming to end what he calls the bloodbath in Ukraine. Heyfi, White House correspondent John Decker is here to help us break down the significance of these calls.
Speaker 3: Good morning, John, Hey, good morning to you, Heather.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 8: They were significant, and this was just the third phone conversation that President Trump has had with President Putin since he took office for his second term. It was a two hour plus conversation. We got that from both the Kremlin and the White House. The President very optimistic, but the fact of the matter is, nothing's really changed. Two and a half months ago, Ukraine agreed to a thirty day ceasefire, that was a proposal put on the table by the US. But two and a half months later, Russia has still not agreed to that thirty day ceasefire. And even after that call that President Trump had with President Putin yesterday, they're no closer to getting Russia to agree to that thirty day cease fire.
Speaker 2: So Trump's call reportedly lasted over two hours and was described as quote very informative. So do we have any sense, any nuggets of information about what was actually discussed in that two hour phone.
Speaker 8: Call, Well, some nuggets. I was in the Oval office late in the afternoon yesterday. I asked the President some question in regards to his conversation with President Putin, And you know what the President said was he thought that this was positive in the sense that what Russia has agreed to is to continue conversations with Ukraine, but not at the leadership level. You're not going to see a face to face meeting at this stage between President Putin and President Zelenski. The President mentioned the idea of increasing trade if a peace deal is reached between Russia and Ukraine. That with that is trade between Russia and the US. But you know, look, I can't think of one product from Russia that Americans desire. I mean, there's it's not like it's a huge market that the US desires to increase trade. Russia would certainly could use a lot. Their economies been devastated by sanctions placed upon them, and there's the threat of more sanctions being placed upon the Russian government, not only from the US, but from Europe as well.
Speaker 2: The only thing I could think of immediately was vodka, obviously, but that feels very stereotype.
Speaker 8: We got Russian.
Speaker 2: Vactor you want a stereotype. Let's talk about what Trup mentioned. He mentioned that the Vatican might host negotiations.
Speaker 3: What is that about.
Speaker 2: Is there any historical precedent there for the Vatican playing this kind of role.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that Pope Leo, the newly installed pope, you know, realizes that this particular war is at a stalemate three years on and no movement in terms of moving to peace, and he's offered his good offices to try to reach or at least get on a pathway to peace. And the President taking up Pope Leo on that particular offer, but there's nothing firm. There's no meeting that is on the schedule in the course of the next few days, the next few weeks taking place at the Vatican involving Ukraine and Russia. Will have to see, you know, whether or not that actually gains any traction.
Speaker 3: So at this point, it seems like there really was no.
Speaker 2: Major movement towards any sort of resolution, which is what I think everyone was sort of hoping for.
Speaker 8: Is that right? That is right, and that's unfortunate. You know, it's been frustrating for the president. He's expressed that frustration. I heard it yesterday from the White House Press Secretary Caroline Levitt, you know, talking about the president's frustration that he's had in terms of trying to end this war, get on a pathway to peace. But even after a two hour plus conversation yesterday, it just doesn't sound like we're any closer to bringing an end to that war. And those attacks by Russia on civilian areas, drone attacks on civilian areas in Ukraine, they continue, even after the President had this conversation with President Putin.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we'll continue to keep a close eye on this story, John, thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 8: Thanks a lot, Heather, have a great day.
Speaker 9: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Former President Biden's office says the eighty two year old and his family are continuing to review cancer treatment options. ABC's Avery Harper says there are reasons for the timeline of Biden's diagnosis.
Speaker 3: Healthcare is individualized.
Speaker 10: It's based on a person's health, their personal risk factors, family history, and presidents are just the same, and there's also no standard for what a president divulges about their medical evaluations.
Speaker 2: She also says there's no standards in terms of what tests a president gets during a physical exam. The federal government has settled a lawsuit filed by the family of Ashley Babbitt, the woman from San Diego who was shot and killed by a policeman during the riot at the US Capitol on January sixth. ABC Stephen Portnoy says the settlement is opposed by the head of the Capitol Police.
Speaker 5: Chief, Tom Manger, notes that more than four years ago, the Justice Department cleared the officer who fired the deadly shot that killed Ashley Babbitt.
Speaker 2: Tom Angers says the roughly five million dollar government payment sends a bad message to law enforcement nationwide. Millions of people in several states are on the lookout for tornadoes and dangerous storms yet again today. Meteorologist Ginger z says they're the same areas hit over the weekend parts.
Speaker 1: Of western Tennessee and western Kentucky, Northern.
Speaker 8: Mississippi, too Lake, Huntsville, or Tupelo, Mississippi.
Speaker 7: Memphis included.
Speaker 2: More than a dozen people were killed in tornadoes and storms from the Heartland to the south. CBS News CEO Wendy McMahon says she's quitting.
Speaker 7: It's the latest fallout at the network as its parent company considers settling a lawsuit with President Trump over a sixty Minutes interview. McMahon said in an email to staff, it's become clear she and the company don't agree on the path forward. McMahon has made clear she opposes settling with Trump, just like former sixty Minutes executive producer Bill Owens, who resigned last month. Trump is potentially in settlement talks with Paramount Global over his lawsuit claiming sixty Minutes edited an interview with Kamala Harris to benefit her Mark ronnor KFI News.
Speaker 2: When we come back from Bruises to Bottles of baby oil, shocking new evidence emerges in the sex trafficking abuse case against Sean Diddy Combs. We're going to tell you what prosecutors say the public needs to see. Also, I want to hear from you. Hit that talkback button on the iHeartRadio app, or you can send me a tweet at the Heather Brooker and let me know what you're looking forward to this Memorial Day weekend and what you enjoy doing in the summertime with your family and friends. I want to hear from you today here on wake Up Call.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 3: We are taking your talkbacks this morning.
Speaker 2: If you want to send me a quick message on the iHeartRadio app, just hit that talkback button. Let me know what you have planned for Memorial Day weekend and what you're most looking forward to this summer. Memorial Day is kind of the official kickoff of summer, right, Well, do you feel like it is too?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's when things start, you know, they start hitting the pool at.
Speaker 11: The apartment go over.
Speaker 2: You know, we all kind of mentally check out. Also, it's going to be like one thousand degrees in LA today, so we all are kind of ready. I think maybe in that summer mindset.
Speaker 12: Yep, yep.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get back to some news, shall we. Here's some of the stories we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A business owner and commerce was conducting a private sale and he was fatally shot a man connected to the buyer. Authorities are investigating the incident and have not released any identities of people involved. The cal State Fullerton freshman tragically drowned at Lake Havasu during an outing with his fraternity. The Sigma Pi fraternity released a statement that said eighteen year old Simon Daniel drown while swimming with friends. Authorities are investigating the incident, and the university has extended condolences. Noodles and Company plans to close up to twenty one restaurants this year, citing rising food and marketing costs. Despite this, that, Shane has seen a four point four increase in the same store sales and recently introduced a revamped menu to hopefully attract more customers.
Speaker 3: Then at six oh five, it's Handle on the news.
Speaker 2: The Trump administration has agrees to pay has agreed to pay just under five million dollars to settle a wrongful death lawsuit that Ashley Babbitt's family filed over her shooting. We're going to tell you more about that right now, Let's say good morning for the first time to well not for the first time. For the first time, the public is seeing the graphic evidence behind the federal government's case against music mogul Sean Diddy Coombs. ABC's Peter Harlamboos, who has been following the case closely, is joining us now.
Speaker 11: Good morning, Peter, Good morning, Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: All Right, So, the release of these photos marks a turning point in the public's view of this case. I know you've been following this very closely. What has stood out most to you about the evidence that they've unveiled.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that's exactly right. I mean, we've heard all about these allegations interred at four days of testimony last week, but seeing the photos as something else, we're finally getting these pieces of evidence put into the public record, prosecuted releasing them yesterday. In addition, to a video showing Comb's assaulting Ventura at a hotel. In these videos, you can see what she described across her graphic testimony, the bruises, the gases that she's said she endured at the hands of Combs, the effort she went to conceal them using makeup when she had to go to a red carpet premiere, for example, and even some of the materials that prosecutors say they seized from combs to hotel room when they rated it last year. They found nine thousand dollars in cash, drugs that tasted positive for ketamine and MDMA, and tons and tons of bottles of baby oil, which Ventura testified were kind of key to these these sex parties that are kind of at the center of the case called freak offs. Really, it's one thing to see to hear about them in testimony. It's another thing to see these photos that the jury has been examining at this point for days.
Speaker 2: So the list of some of the items that we're seeing you just mentioned there, ketamine, the baby oil, in large amounts of cash. How are prosecutors using these elements to tie in the larger trafficking and racketeering charges?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think they're slowly trying to piece this all together. I think, if anything, they used those pieces of evidence to kind of establish the credibility of their star witness. During the first few days of testimony, they really focused on that twenty sixteen assault at a hotel that was captured on video. If anything, that's kind of like the anchor of this case for the prosecutor. It's kind of showing on camera Ventura, excuse me, Combs beating Ventura, something that they really have no defense to other than saying that while that might be domestic violence, it isn't rocketeering or sex trafficking. I think as we see this case progressed, I think we'll see more and more of this evidence to corrobreak the story that this wasn't a one off thing, this was a pattern of conduct, that this was an enterprise that prosecutors say was criminal.
Speaker 2: Now I know, you know, we have all as the general public scene for years, their red carpet photos, these forward facing photos that they put out in their public life together that seemingly indicated there was nothing going on behind the scenes. We would have no idea. But now we're really peeling back the layers and getting to see what was going on. Do you think that these visuals are going to impact the jury as well as public opinion in this case?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think for the jury, I think there are times really effective, especially when the prosecutors are contrasting the private photos of Ventura, the ones she took of herself documenting the bruising, documenting the gashes, and they contrast them to the red carpet images that were used to seeing. And you can see in these photos the prosecutors ventured into evidence the efforts to which Ventura was going to conceal this bruising, these injuries, the makeup she was using to hide black eyes, to hide bruising, but she was wearing on the red carpet long dresses that concealed bruises on her legs. You know, at the end of the day, we're used to seeing these celebrities in the context of these high profile red carpets, and it's interesting and if anything, very compelling for this jury to see those images with the new context of what was being done to conceal all of this violence that Ventura alleges was done upon her. I think that clearly came across during the testimony last week and now we're just beginning to see it as members of the public.
Speaker 2: All right, so quickly looking ahead, what's the next step in the prosecution's case and what kind of defense is Combs's team, you know, likely looking to mount in response to this evidence.
Speaker 11: So at this point, the prosecution has five more weeks of testimony. We're going to hear from more victims, but this week, I think we're expecting to hear from some people closer to Venturre, including your mother, who could be called as early as today. We're also expecting to hear from another male escort today who's going to be called this morning as witness. You know, this is a long case. They have plenty of time to prove the idea of this criminal enterprise, and at this point we're expecting to see the end of the case revert, hopefully by July fourth.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of people also, too, are curious to find out if any other celebrity names are mentioned in this case, so I know a lot of people will be watching closely for that as well. Peter, thank you so much for your time, and we'll touch base soon.
Speaker 11: Thanks for for having me all.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom, a spring heat wave is building in Sokal, with the hottest temperatures expected tomorrow. Or casters say his in the valleys will range from ninety five to one hundred and three. That's twenty degrees above normal. A heat advisory takes effect today at eleven am for the San Fernando Valley, calabasas Agra Hills, and the recreational area of the Santa Monica Mountains. The California Air Resources Board is planning to implement new clean air rules by July first.
Speaker 13: Updates to the Low Carbon Fuel Standard have raised concerns about potential gas price increases, with some experts noting a current ten cent rise per gallon. The proposed changes seek a thirty percent reduction in transportation emissions, but may lead to higher costs for oil refineries and consumers. Critics argue CARB did not communicate the financial impacts clearly. CARB has requested an expedited review from the Office of Administrative Law to meet the deadline. Tammy Triheo KFI news A.
Speaker 2: City council will host a public hearing tomorrow for residents to have a say on amendments to Mayor Bass's proposed thirteen point nine billion dollar budget. The Council's Budget and Finance Committee has finalized its review of the spending plan and made recommendations to prioritize funds and reduce the number of layoffs as the city deals with a nearly one billion dollar deficit. Tomorrow will be the last time residents can comment on the spending plan in person. Lancaster Mayor Rex Paris has donated ten million dollars to USC.
Speaker 5: Paris's gift establishes a new research effort in his name. The USC Paris Longevity Accelerator will be tasked with researching aging and the diseases that often come with it. The mayor says it's time to figure out how to get people to live longer and healthier. The accelerator will be staffed by researchers and engineering, artificial intelligence, gerontology, and medicine. Paris is the co founder of Reparis, a medical company that works on age related diseases. Michael Monks KFI News when we.
Speaker 2: Come back, you can't stop a recession, but you can get ready for one coming up. We're gonna tell you the steps financial experts say you should take now to weather any economic storm. We're also taking your talkbacks on the iHeartRadio app, telling us what your plans are for Memorial Day weekend and any fun plans you might have for this summer. What do you like to do with your family? You can also send me a tweet at the Heather Brooker or an X Do we call it an X now or a tweet I don't know.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Wake Up Call on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 2: Here's what we're following in the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A recent report highlights that California cities are notably absent from a list of top summer travel destinations. Despite the state's renowned attractions like Yosemite, San Diego, and La none secured a spot in the rankings. LA is expanding its bus lane enforcement program with automated cameras installed on metro buses. After a sixty day warning period, drivers parking in bus only lanes or at bus stops will face fine starting at about three hundred dollars. UCLA has appointed a former Disney executive to enhance its sports program, aiming to improve fan experiences and boost revenue. Daniel Cruz is the school's new Deputy Athletic Director and chief revenue officer. Then at six p' oh five, it's handle on the news. The Supreme Court let the Trump administration remove protections from nearly three hundred and fifty thousand Venezuelan immigrants under the Temporary Protected Status.
Speaker 3: We'll tell you why they did this and what it means for all those people.
Speaker 2: And of course, this morning, we are taking your talkbacks if you want to drop us a note on the talkback button on the iHeartRadio app and let us know what you have planned for Memorial Day weekend, what you enjoy doing over the weekend with your family, and what you're most looking forward to this summer.
Speaker 3: You go into the beach, are you're going to go to the pool?
Speaker 2: Are you going to just be netflixing and chilling inside to try to stay cool.
Speaker 3: It's all welcome. We want to hear from you.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. With forecasts showing a thirty to fifty percent chance of the US economy could slide into recession this year, many Americans are understandably a little bit anxious. And now while we can't control economic trends, we can control how we respond to them. ABC's Jim Ryan is here with more about what this means for everyday consumers.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Jim, Good morning, Heather.
Speaker 14: Yeah, anxiety is one thing, but then channeling that anxiety into something positive, trying to prepare for nothing inevitable, then at least the possible that is an inflation, you know, job laws and skyrotting prices and whatnot. So yeah, they Investipedia wallet hub financial advisors are urging people to set some money aside. It's that simple, making sure that you have an emergency fund. Very few Americans actually have that, according to surveys, and the average family needs something like thirty five thousand dollars to go for six months that include housing, transportation, food, those sorts of costs, much less having something aside for emergencies.
Speaker 2: Heather, all right, So for people who may already feel financially stretched, Hello, I'm raising my hand over here. Yeah, what is the first and most sort of realistic step that we can take to prepare well?
Speaker 14: Making some sort of automatic payment every week? Right, So you set up an account first of all, maybe a high yield savings account away from your current bank, right, so that when you open the app for your bank, you're not seeing your regular checking, then your savings account, then your credit card.
Speaker 12: It makes it that much.
Speaker 14: Easier to transfer from one into the other, into Rob Peter to pay Paul.
Speaker 15: Right.
Speaker 14: So if you set it off into an account and set up some kind of automatic payment every week into that account.
Speaker 12: It'll start to grow.
Speaker 14: Then when an emergency does come along and you leave it alone, unless there is an emergency, then it'll be there. It'll be there waiting for you. And yeah, every week it gets a little larger.
Speaker 2: So you often hear the term rainy day funds, which is such a fun little term there. What exactly constitutes like a rainy day fund and how much should someone be ideally trying to save and what counts as a true emergency.
Speaker 14: Yeah, that's a great question. And it's all based and you can find nerd wallet, for example, has an online calculator to figure out what you should be setting aside. And it's not based on your income, it has nothing to do with that. It's on how much you spend, right, So your rent or mortgage, your utility, payments, the debts, the grocery expenses, that sort of thing. Figure that all out, extend that out for you know, three four or five six months, and you've come up with an amount that you should be setting aside or should have in reserve, just in case the unknown happens. You know, if a recession does come, if you lose your job suddenly you're having to pay more for groceries. At least you'll have something in reserve. By the way, just having a little bit in reserve. A psychologist say that if you have two thousand dollars set aside in a savings account, your sense of financial well being, the way you feel about your finances goes up twenty one percent. Right, So, even with that small amount in there, I imagine what having four or five six, maybe ten thousand or the thirty five thousand recommended by financial planners for an average family, how much easier it's going to make your life feel At least?
Speaker 2: Are there any common mistakes that people make when they think of recession is coming?
Speaker 14: Not using that emergency fund as an emergency fund, dipping into it and you know it's more convenient, I'm just gonna do that. I'll use some of the money in there instead of my usual checking account or debit card or something. That's a big mistake that you see here, and you know it's as if a recession is coming. You want to make sure that that's something that hasn't been touched at least as far as withdrawals are concerned.
Speaker 3: All right, So it's not my coffee fund, it's not my shopping fund.
Speaker 2: I need to leave it, leave it alone, got it, all right, Jim, thank you so much for sure your time today to Heather. All right, now it is time to get in your business. Get up in your business with the Bloomberg's Courtney dot Jo.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Courtney, Good morning.
Speaker 9: I still laugh about every single morning.
Speaker 3: I'm sure people listening are like, why business? These people are wild.
Speaker 2: All right, let's jump right into We got a lot of fun things to talk about today. Sprite is dropping a new flavor drink.
Speaker 9: For the summer exactly, and I'm here to fill the tea this morning. And that's your first clue, Oh folks, a Coca Cola noticed a viral trend of people steeping tea bags in ice cold Sprite, so after several rounds of consumer testing to fine tune that formula. Sprite is now rolling out its own version called Sprite plus Tea, so the drink is hitting store shelves this week. Sprit plus Tea will be available for a limited time until October in regular and also zero sugar version, so be on the lookout for that. If you really like a little bit of vice tea and a little Sprit combined.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say no, thank you. That does not sound very.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm taking a hard path on it to eliminate. I'd be like, Okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: With you if that's what you're into, but I don't think it's brite and tea.
Speaker 3: That's not for me. Not for me, all right. If you're flying, no, I agree.
Speaker 2: If you're flying to several cities, this summer lift is bringing back cheaper shared trips from the airport yay. Yeah.
Speaker 9: So they're piloting the program in eight cities, including La so good news for you guys. Also Boston, San Francisco, Austin, Chicago, Denver, Vegas, New Orleans. So here's how it works. A passenger at those airports going in a similar direction, they're going to be all picked up in the same car. So people taking these shared trips could see as much as the twenty percent discount compared to a regular lift, and we're all looking to save a little money in this environment. But keep in mind that Lift actually discontinued share drives two years ago. They said it took too many people way out of their way, so they said, we're not going to do it. But I guess people are looking for it again, especially as they try to save money.
Speaker 2: And people are looking to save a little bit of money at home depots, So what's going on there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so there's a couple of things going on at home depot, So economic turbulence has definitely been squeezing spending recently at home depot. Sales for the home improvement retailer came in lower than what Wall Street expected in the latest quarter. Customers are telling them that the interest rate environment remains a big consideration and a lot of people are deferring these large home improvement projects for now. But Home People Management says consumer habits remain steady and that allowed the company to maintain their financial guidance for the year. Plus. It's a little more positive on tariffs than other retailers. Looking right at your Walmart they've been defersifying their supply chain, and that's going to help Home Depot generally keep a lid on price hikes, which is good news if you need to go in and you need to fix something on your house. But it's very different than what Walmart said last week, where they sent out a warning that price hikes are going to be ahead, especially some of them coming within this month.
Speaker 2: All right, Courtney, thank you so much. I don't know if I'll be here tomorrow. I mean, I'll be here on this earth, I believe, but I don't know if.
Speaker 3: I will be here at wake up Paul. But we hope. Oh man, I need that dark. I made that dark.
Speaker 2: Sorry about that, but Amy, maybe back tomorrow is what I was getting at. So thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 9: Definitely we'll see it soon no matter what.
Speaker 3: All right, bye bye, Let's get back man. I made that dark. Wow, real yet dark.
Speaker 2: We're gonna get back to a couple of stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A woman whose embryos were being stored at the Ivy of clinic in Palm Springs targeted and explosions say they are grateful to the firefighters who save them. This woman told kat Lay she had egg stored at the clinic since March. My embryo is already a little fighter because she's she's the only embryo that made it.
Speaker 13: She survived this incident.
Speaker 2: She says, her embryo transfer is on schedule at a different clinic. The historic US Courthouse on Spring Street and Downtow in LA was built in the nineteen thirties, and it's now up for an expedited sale by the federal government. The General Services Administration aims to offload under used properties, and this fourteen story landmark is among them. While no official price is listed, estimates suggested could fetch around sixty million dollars.
Speaker 3: Wowser, will how'd you like to buy a building downtown?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, why not?
Speaker 16: Why not?
Speaker 11: We'll go in.
Speaker 3: I'm sure if we all compile our money a little bit a lot, we're going to.
Speaker 12: Need a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Hey, we're taking your talkbacks this morning. Let me know on the iHeartRadio app. Just hit that talkback button what you are looking forward to doing with your family and friends this Memorial Day weekend and on into the summer months. You go to the beach, you go to the pool. You're having a barbecue. Let's hear from you. I want to hear what you're up to and when we come back. Economic jitters are prompting young adults to tighten their belts and how to Money's joelars Guard will join us to talk about how inflation and recession fears are influencing millennials financial behaviors.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Wake Up Call on Demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: A federal judge is weighing a plea deal for La County Deputy Trevor Kirk, convicted of assaulting a woman in twenty twenty three. Two Colombian men have been indicted in La accused of trying to trade cocaine for weapons to support a terrorist group fighting the Colombian government. And the Milky Way will light up the night sky with billions of stars this month, and it'll be brighter than usual for most of the northern hemisphere. Lifescience dot com says the best time to view the Milky Way is tonight through next Friday. So I'm very excited about that, and we're just minutes away from handle. On the news, President Trump went off script when talking about Biden's cancer diagnosis. We're going to tell you what he said about the former president and his prognosis. As economic concerns continue to grow, many millennials are adjusting their spending patterns and why are people tipping lest How to Money's Joel Larsgard joins us to offer insights into navigating financial uncery.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Joel, are you there? Hello? Hello?
Speaker 2: All right, we might be having some technical difficulties with Joel. We'll come back to that in just a few minutes. Right now, we are waiting. I'd love to hear your talkbacks. We're gonna hear from you, guys about what you plan to do this weekend for Memorial Day and how you plan to celebrate with your family. Just use that talkback button on the iHeartRadio app, or you can send me I guess we're still condom tweets. You can throw me a little something over on X at the Heather Brooker. Let me know what you have planned with your family and friends this summer.
Speaker 3: Do we have Joel yet?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, Joel A right, I'm going to if we get him, hopefully before the end of the show, we will bring you guys. His segment but if not, we're gonna just carry on. They as they say in show biz, the show must go on. Let's get back some of the store. He's coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. There's a new study on sleep, and ABC's Sherry Preston says snoozing is not good.
Speaker 3: It's a new study published in the journal Scientific Reports.
Speaker 2: Quotes researchers who say the minutes just before waking are the most important phase of sleep, when rapid eye movements are at their peak.
Speaker 3: Snoozing interrupts that.
Speaker 2: She says the best advice is to get set your alarm for the latest possible time and then commit to getting out of bed the first time it goes off.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I'm never doing it. Joel, are you here? Do we have Joel?
Speaker 12: I'm here, I'm here, big, Good morning, Good morning, Heather.
Speaker 2: All right, So I kind of threw a little story at you last minute, and I want to get to that quickly before we run out of time.
Speaker 3: I saw this on my TikTok on my social media.
Speaker 2: The Trump bill, the budget bill is allowing for something called a MAGA account.
Speaker 3: What is that all about?
Speaker 6: Okay, so this is really interesting and it's still just a proposal, so it's a vaporware, so we don't know if this is actually going to become a part.
Speaker 12: Of this so called big beautiful bill.
Speaker 6: But essentially, this is a proposal that's been made by both Republicans and Democrats in the past, and it's an attempt to help youngsters save and invest for their future. So this MAGA account, it's somewhere between. It's kind of like a hybrid of a five to twenty nine and a four to one K where the government essentially invests one thousand dollars for kids who are born.
Speaker 12: Over the next few years.
Speaker 6: And which is part of what I don't like about this is that this proposal is likely only going to be around for a few years until its sunsets. So if we're gonna if we think this is a good thing, let's keep it around for a long time. And if we don't, let's not do it at all. But yeah, this is a really interesting idea, and again it's been a bipartisan proposal at different times to say, hey, for to allow the next generation to start building wealth through the future, let's start investing in them and allowing them to take part in stuff bock market gains from the minute that they're born.
Speaker 2: Well, I know that some of the questions that people had about it were like, they can't access it till they're twenty five or thirty. There's a lot of questionable things about it. So I want to encourage people to do their research on this, you know, before before anything moves forward.
Speaker 6: And from what I could tell by the way, it looks like they're going to have access to the funds at age eighteen and then they need to be spent down by age thirty one. So it's essentially to say, hey, we'll stick a thousand bucks in and your parents can even add more to it, and it's a way for you to say, I don't know, maybe have actually some money to buy a home when you turn when you're in your early twenties, or to start a business or something like that. So the kind of idea behind it, the concept I think makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 12: The details.
Speaker 6: The devil's going to be in the details, and then in particular that detail of how long this account is actually in action, Because if it's really only to help kids that are born over the next few years and then it goes away, then and I don't think it will have done.
Speaker 3: Its job and really quickly before we have to go.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about millennials cutting back on their expenses because of the economic anxiety.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, so this is something The Wall Street Journal had an article about this, and I think people are seeing, you know, tariffs and higher predictions of recession. And there's something about kind of the perpetually online nature of our society too, and just the fact that people are are saying they're seeing they're being exposed more to economic uncertainty in the reality that we're not sure where things are headed. The truth is there's always some of that. And even when there's when it feels like things are smooth sailing, things pop out of nowhere, like COVID for instance, where you're like, oh, it seems like the economy is doing well and then boom, COVID drops on us and it sends our economy and supply chains into a tailspin. So even the thing, even if there are things that are not on our radar coming up, there's always something that's at risk to our collective economic.
Speaker 12: Future into our individual economic futures.
Speaker 6: But people are saying, Hey, I'm anxious, and what I'm doing because of that is I'm pulling back on my spending, and I think that can make sense, right. I'm all for frugality, but I also don't want people to let fear drive their lives, and so I want people to be careful about saying, hey, I'm anxious, so I'm gonna hoard money and not spend as I normally would. I think there are times to cut back significantly, for sure, but I just want people to be prepared, which means having a basic emergency fund.
Speaker 12: I say you need to have at least three thou forty five dollars.
Speaker 6: That's the baseline amount I want people to have in their savings account that can help you weather most emergencies that are.
Speaker 12: Going to come along.
Speaker 6: And beyond that, yeah, be saving more, but also don't let fear and uncertainty drive your decision making.
Speaker 3: That is such great advice.
Speaker 2: Everyone listen to How to Money on Sundays from noon to two right here on KFI.
Speaker 7: Is that right?
Speaker 3: I just want to make sure I got it right. That's it awesome, Thank you, Joel.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to see thanks ether all right, before we head out, I want to get to some of your talkbacks. You guys have been sending us messages all day, and I hope I'm going to do this right here we go.
Speaker 11: Good morning. My wife and I are going to go to my son's place and just have a nice intimate barbecue on Memorial Day.
Speaker 3: That sounds nice.
Speaker 16: Good morning, Heather. I always love it when I wake up to you. I live in Bakersfield, so during the summer I like to sit in the air conditioning because it's hot.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 12: That's true, Hi, Heather, Good morning.
Speaker 15: This is Gowan from Lunchington Beach, currently on my way to Adelanto.
Speaker 12: Well, normally we like to go on a vacation.
Speaker 15: The last couple of years has been to Big Bear because you know, it's Big Bear and it's beautiful up there. But this year we're taking a break. We are gonna stay home, probably do day trips and check out the beach quite often.
Speaker 2: This oh envision, baby, I love it. That sounds great. What a perfect way to end wake up call. Thank you guys so much for spending your morning with us. This is KFI and KOSTHG to Los Angeles, Orange County South end weather from KFI. Heat advisory will be in effect today. Hi's are going to be in the mid to upper eighties in Metro LA and OC. It's going to be about the upper seventies at the beaches, the upper eighties to mid nineties across the valleys, even triple digits in some areas. Live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and technical producer Well Kono, but Sam is in Today and traffic specialist Will I'm Heather Brooker.
Speaker 3: So glad that you spent your morning with me. This has been your wake up call.
Speaker 2: If you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.