Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine hileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, And for this week of December second, we're discussing the fifth episode of the new season of Shrinking. It is called.
Speaker 3: Honesty Era, in which honesty is a really bad policy.
Speaker 2: For really is for the Connor side.
Speaker 3: I'mer Alice Trio, and for Sean and his dad.
Speaker 1: Ha yeah, yeah to some degrees degree, for Lizen Derrek too. If Jimmy had not yes, I just I was so excited to see Josh Hopkins because he was on Cougartown and it's like, really, all great, Josh Hopkins is here. And then you very quickly saw where this was going to go, and I was like, no, go back stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there was there was even the honesty among uh Brian and his husband and the adoption guy.
Speaker 1: Straight, can I give it adoption?
Speaker 2: Can I give it back?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Adoption stuff, which is going very quickly. Yeah, as I remember from my past, that's not how it works. Then again, who knows, things may have changed. Maybe it would have been different in California. Maybe it would have been different if I was on a TV show.
Speaker 2: It's all yeah, I'm guessing that's the key, being on a TV show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but oh, poor Connor falls for the falls for that. You can tell me anything high right, anything with that. Yeah, that was a rookie mistake, buddy. Oh yes, So yeah, a Summer finds out about him and Alice and is not okay with all secrets, but in fact just goes and leaps on Alice in fury.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, and then Alice has to apologize to Liz for yesing up her good thing she had going with Summer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Derek is just as glad. It's not like something he wears. She wears his shirts. I found it in a basket and everything is covered with glittery.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I mean I do obviously that had to come out, like whether in TV show or in real life, like that was going to be found out at some point, So better just rip off that band aid and maybe they can, you know, yeah, resume, you know, maybe they will have be able to.
Speaker 2: Get past it. That's right, the two girls.
Speaker 1: And Connor is just such a.
Speaker 2: And Connor has has missed the first week of college because I was just having fun with summer.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, then I feel like I have to fix it. Buddy, You're not the one who's gonna fix all that anyway. And then ah, we were so hopeful that Seawn's dad would be cool and would not do exactly what he did he did, which was, oh, come on, buddy, ye give us one for the parents. You know, don't do that. So he took Sean finally opened up to him, and the father took it in the worst possible way, and Sean then went and got himself beat up. So I thought I would really have liked to have been over this. Yeah, come on, you could have been a good dude. You could have said sorry, I let you down. Oh dear. It is hard, though, as a parent to acknowledge that something that you did could have caused the problem, right, or caused any I mean, yeah, yes, see, I'm sort of the opposite is I'm running around take credit for everything, and my daughter is like it that now, it wasn't your fault. Stop it, stop it. I'm fine, everything's fine. I will take I will take his guilty. Sorry, Sean, I'm good at.
Speaker 2: Them, and talk to me. I'll get you through it.
Speaker 1: But uh, you know that understood? Still? Oh ouch. Yeah, that was painful and hopefully what Sean does in response will move things along. But and then we met Gabby's mother, who seems like just a whole lot right play but played by Verne Watson, who I haven't seen for a while. Yeah, I recognize you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was It was kind of a fun scene when Jimmy came to have dinner with Gabby and Gabby's mom and sister and.
Speaker 1: The extremely resentful sister.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then they had a moment of you know, we can all gang up on Jimmy right now because because he said something absolutely true but not nice about their neighbor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's good for that, He's he'll stand in for that right anytime. But I just as I assume that Summer and Alice will make up it sometime soon. Can we get over the Gabby Jimmy things. I want everybody back to being friends. And it stinks that Liz lost her friend because of that, and not lost her, but sort of misplaced her for a while.
Speaker 3: And you know, okay, Oh, we also had the honesty of Liz just yelling all of Jimmy's fault from her from her balcony. That was.
Speaker 1: I think it is a mirror of a scene from last season right where he did the same thing he yelled at her.
Speaker 3: That was.
Speaker 2: That was satisfying. I thought it was. But Alice was listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well she knews. She knows she leaped up, So why she hasn't said to anybody the thing that precipitated her doing it, which I think would work as an excuse pretty neatly. I think even Summer would buy that, but you know, I guess she doesn't want to get into that. But she and her dad bond over tattoos, So I.
Speaker 2: Was good even though it's Liz's Ideatoos do I have any tattoos?
Speaker 1: I do not? Yes, I do not, Nor do I Nor would that looked and sounded upsetting? Yeah, just saying I think I would be in Jimmy's camp. I mean, good on him for doing it for his daughter, But I am so glad my kids are run into it and therefore will not ask me to do it too. No, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both of both of my kids say they're going to and they have and oh they have not yet, they have not.
Speaker 3: My daughter has like an idea of what she wants, and it would be a tiny one like.
Speaker 2: Like Liz and Alice have, but she hasn't gone through it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you walk into the place and hear that, Yeah, that sounds like maybe I'll then think about this a little more. Get this design just for.
Speaker 2: Right exactly these these two letters.
Speaker 3: And I mean that was like the most basic, tiniest little yeah thing, And still Jimmy was losing his mind, like think of like.
Speaker 1: People who get their entire back or whatever. My gosh, I cannot imagine. And I know people, Oh, I know one person in particular who has quite a lot of ink on the back and arms, yeah, not on, thank you. I don't even want to get shots. I'm not gonna get a dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, you get shots in your eye?
Speaker 1: I do, Yes, that's true. I do. That is pretty badass.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Needles in my arm. No no, no, no, no sticking sticking in my eyeball.
Speaker 2: I'm good with that.
Speaker 1: That's like the mom in the show is going, they got my eyeball open, right, I want them in there. Well, I don't know. My daughter when she was young, when we first adopted her, had crossed eyes, and so they had to do surgery, which, as I understand it basically involved them popping the eyeball out, what, fixing something behind it, and popping the eyeball back. At least that's how I described it to her. Yeah, whoa, It's just they had to like untangle the nerves behind the eyeballs or something like that, or the muscles or the tendons or something got crossed and so they had to uncross it. My understanding is it involved.
Speaker 2: Wow, did not know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Cutting open? Actually that sounds so yead. I tell her that every now and then to freak about it. Wow, because she doesn't remember it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of things. I don't remember. Did we hate Dave last season? I don't think we hated Dave last season, so we hate him this season. Dave is a Meg's husband, Oh yeah, my cardboard suddenly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like he was just kind of a non like.
Speaker 1: They didn't.
Speaker 3: They didn't use it as a you know, bonding, a way for him to for Paul and his ex to be.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, we hate that guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't think they hate him.
Speaker 1: I just think they.
Speaker 2: Think he's just kind of a drip.
Speaker 1: They didn't. Yeah, I guess I don't even think we. I felt like there was general goodwill towards him last season. Yeah, I mean he had to like run the block when they didn't want to talk to him. But I didn't feel like we thought he was a cardboard trip. Yeah, but this one boy, they're sure he's taking a turn, no flask for you, But no, that wasn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I get why they did that, obviously.
Speaker 3: You know, there was a callback to what Paul and his ex used to do when their daughter was little, But like drinking at a school play whenever a kid picks his nose is very different from your daughter giving like a very professional.
Speaker 1: You know, true sounded pretty boring.
Speaker 2: I know it did sound boring, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were discreet. Yeah, he's a little tiny book and Dave probably wouldn't have appreciated them drinking while as well.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly, That's why they had to keep him out of it.
Speaker 1: Oh, we did find out last week. We were wondering if the dad quit his job to take on the food truck, but apparently he still has his full time job anti cashal is savings. And I think the next thing to happen should be that they go back to Lizen and she reinvests in the food truck and gives her something to do. That would be good. Let's do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after Sean gets out of the hospital from being by these yeahs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I yeah, I wish that had not happened. There's a lot which had not happened. Waves Josh Hopkins on the street walk on by, say to Jimmy, Oh yeah, that jerk. No, I don't like seeing Derek.
Speaker 2: I know our Derek. It's not right special Derek.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is not why I wanted him in the opening credits. I wanted more happy, fun guy. I want to believe that he's there to tolerate absolutely anything she does.
Speaker 3: And also in the fun last season, they always had a rescue pet, and this season they haven't had one.
Speaker 1: Well, now she's taking pictures of the dogs.
Speaker 2: She is in vain clearly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it seems like they were setting up with Josh Hopkins that she's like, you know, feeling unappreciated and you know, her kids are grown. What has she done with herself? She's just raised kids and she's you know, doesn't do much and he calls out her photography. Right, It's like Derek supports everything she does to a ridiculous degree. Keep like bought her a food truck, you know, done, don't go down this. I see where you're going show, I see I see where you're going. Don't go there, please.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we'll have to just keep going and see what happens next. Yes, yes, So next week it's episode six, which I believe is the halfway point. Yeah, it's called in a Lonely Place.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't want to watch that episode. I I this is my hangout friend hangout Calle. I don't want to be in a lonely place. I want to be a place with a bunch of friends. Yeah, drinking and laughing and making fun of each other. Come on, well, lonely place sounds all maybe just to keep come on show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bring us back to the.
Speaker 1: Don't be a bummer. We didn't even have the drunk driver in this one and it was still a bummer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll talk about that next week, and we will.
Speaker 2: We will see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.