Speaker 1: Weird.
Speaker 2: We welcome back midnight viewers to Father Malone's weekly round up. I'm Father Malone, and with me barking at all the thunder lizards, is miss ripley gen? How are you rip? And how is everyone? Hope you had an enjoyable holiday? I think right now is a good time to remind everyone that George Lucas is a prophet undeniable. Now, Nerds, Okay, okay, you're right. You can go first hit at HP to.
Speaker 1: Ship K.
Speaker 2: Thank you. New York City has two million rats. We used to have eight million rats. Now we're down to two. You know what that means we lose four electoral votes. Speaking of NYC, in nineteen seventy seven, the randomness of lightning strikes. Three lightning strikes plunged the entirety of New York City into darkness for three days, during which there was looting an arson the likes of which no major American city had seen since the Civil War. It's this same bit of happenstance fate that caused Henry Buttle to get snatched up by government thugs and not Henry Tuttle. In Terry Gilliam's dystopian masterpiece, of Brazil, the same bit of twisted cosmic humor that allowed every system to fail on Jurassic Park's inaugural weekends some thirty years ago. They recreate that situation here, but they make it even more random, which would be lovely if it wasn't a fucking commercial Jurassic World the Confectionery Age. I lost count of the number of product placements in this very cynical follow up to the endlessly creaking along Jurassic series of films. Studios realize that if we get a movie every couple of years, that we can't be nostalgic for it. Right The bit of business at the film start that pulled a fucking grown out of me. In the theater, a technician in an environmental suit walking through a giant clean room of a facility approaches an air lock door, but before he goes through, he scarfs down a Snickers and lets the wrapper fall to the floor, which then gets sucked into a door mechanism, and the next thing you know, some gigantic, unseen dinosaur is chowing down on the candy enthusiast and potentially everyone else in that facility. Which facility, oh, is it the one on Eastla New Bar. No, it's the other one East La Sorna, no Isla de Moerde. No, how about wherever the fuck that giant theme park they built was. Nope, this is a yet another facility we've never heard of until now. Boy, oh boy, let's get into it. This is Jurassic World Rises or something. I don't know. It's bullshit.
Speaker 3: I don't care.
Speaker 4: Nor on the island we're headed to. Two dozen species have survived there alone.
Speaker 5: The theme park owners did experimental work. Maybe only the worst ones here. I don't see that every day forever. Let's go. If we get this DNA, millions of glad. You said, maybe we should make this quick. Huh, don't move.
Speaker 4: We put ourselves in a place where we don't belong.
Speaker 5: Survival is a long shot. That's kind of our specialty.
Speaker 1: She's scared, she's scared of what the hell?
Speaker 3: Why we're not going to let you get hurt?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: Okay? Then was a source?
Speaker 2: We found it?
Speaker 1: No, it found us?
Speaker 3: Okay, dig this.
Speaker 2: It's thirty years later and now the dinosaurs that were freed and roaming the earth have mostly died off, except for an area around the equator which most closely mirrors the environment they originally existed in. Okay, that's a fine start. The film is also cleverly predicated on the notion that the public at large no longer cares about dinosaurs. They're a novelty whose time has come and gone.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that screenwriter David kept making a comment on the series as a whole, but it is apt apt as a motherfucker. Also, this development dispenses with all the skullduggery and evil corporations and government agencies trying to weaponize dinosaurs or whatever the fuck right right, Nope, this is once again they get in and gather the dinosaurs mission like Part two or Part five, only now they're trying to get blood samples from these three particular species for a pharmaceutical company who is then going to use that dino blood to turn it into I don't know, it doesn't make any goddamn sense. And notice the script's super fucking obvious structure. One dinosaur is in the water, another is on the land, and another flies Act one, Act two, Act three. I'm being generous that this in any way resembles drama. This is a fetch quest extravaganza where the cut scenes never fucking end. It is not sweet, certainly not sweet as a delicious bag of EM and m's. I know they're eating M and ms because not only do they feature the bag, but there are half a dozen reaction shots that involve characters popping em and ms into their mouths. I'm surprised they didn't remake the Mister DNA cartoon with JK. Simmons voicing his green eminem so candy commercial. That's one way you can view this film. Another is bargain basement knockoff. Yes, it has two genuine stars in the cast, Scarlett Johansson and Mhersla Ali as two mercenaries hire to lead the team. But then it's not quite Noah Wiley as the sensitive paleontologist, and not quite Cliff Curtis as a dad whose family gets caught up in the mayhem while they're trying to sail across the Atlantic don't ask. Then there's not quite Emmy Rossam as one of the potentially most annoying characters in the entire film series. And then, most disconcertingly is not quite Julian McMahon as the pharma company's evil represent Jillian McMahon, of course, from Niptok and Fantastic Four, died just a few days ago, so this actor's resemblance to him resulted in this thought. Literally every time he came on screen, man Jillian McMahon was only fifty six and he was in shape. I'm fifty two and I'm not. That's not the filmmaker's fault. But then maybe they should count it as a bonus, because during those times I wasn't thinking how fucking boneheaded this entire film was. We meet not quite Noah Wiley, while the museum he works at is dismantling their dinosaur exhibit from lack of interest. Though we're told five years ago there were lines around the block. Five years ago there were lines around the block to see fossils when there were dinosaurs randomly showing up and causing traffic jams in major American cities. That makes sense, But at least we get to see that when dinosaurs ruled the earth banner one more time. Ah, remember when that came down and the t rex roared. This movie isn't counting on you to remember the other films fondly. It's holding you down and drawing on you. It's so desperate to rekindle those old memories, down to mirror image sequences like when the not quite velociraptor is trapped in the ceiling above a young girl and snapping at her, or when the heroes are huddled in a pantry and not quite Velociraptor is stalking around, Which isn't to say there isn't anything new. There's a water dinosaur. We haven't had those before, right except half a dozen times now, or flying dinosaurs, except we have. You're getting the idea. This is all mashed up from other films, where the first act is actually a really long take on Jaws, and the finale is basically Aliens, right down to the newest dinosaur menace. Wait, and once you see him, you'll know, because the newest and latest secret facility is a genetic lab where they've been breeding entirely new species of dinosaurs to combat waning public interest. That's new, except it's not. That's Jurassic World. That was the first film, and then again in the sequel when they had cloned children, and shit, they dropped that plotline fast, didn't They kind of felt like they were drifting into dinosaur human hybrid territory, which which could have been interesting, certainly more interesting than what we got here, because it's just more dinosaurs. They're a little bit different. They've been genetically changed. We're told they have a new Tatanosaurus, which is like a brachiosaur, only it's fucking huge, which is the game here, Bigger baby. Then there's the Ketsiquatalis. I mean, I couldn't tell the difference between those and an old terradon, but it's supposed to be scarier. And to be fair, the Ketsiuatalis sequence is the best in the movie. It's actually harrowing. The rest isn't, even though the movie spins itself in fucking circles trying to make us care about these characters, tragic grief soaked backstories for the ones we know who won't die, and then straight up annoying end or bad characters just primed for lunch. You know, it occurred to me during the t rex attack. Of course there's a t rex attack sequence. It's in his contract. It was during the t rex attack sequence. Then I suddenly had a feeling I haven't had watching a movie in forty years. I was sitting in a Theater in Revere, Massachusetts, watching Friday the Thirteenth, Part six, when it finally clicked, Jason is the hero. I want those people to get machetied. Once that happened, I found myself enjoying Jurassic World Revival ten to a great deal more. Instead of near misses, I considered the attacks near hits. Oh almost, you'll get him next time, Dinosaur. I know you can do it. The disparity and likable characters between the first film and this is stark. You just looked at Alan Grant or Ellie Sadler and you were like, I'm on board wherever they're going. Here. They just pour on all this useless backstory and you don't give a fuck. They don't even really get going for half an hour. That's the cut scene. I'm talking about the first cut scene. There are many more to come, along with speeches on morality and everyone oohing and eyeing some natural beauty five minutes after one of their friends was eaten in front of them. Ah yeah, yeah, Okay. Here's where I ranked the Jurassic movies. Jurassic Park Masterpiece, The Lost World. You should watch Jurassic Park again. Jurassic Park three Allen. Jurassic World high heels. Huh, Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom. You should watch the Lost World again. I never thought I would say that. Jurassic World dominion. We're still doing these huh. And now Jurassic World Rebirth melts in your mouth, not in your hand. You should save your money, do not support this film. Instead, you should support the fine folks at Mars.
Speaker 3: Mmm.
Speaker 2: Doesn't a candy bar sound good right about now? You can't have chocolate.
Speaker 3: It'll kill you. You know, I don't care.
Speaker 2: You're not taking the risk. We've been down this road.
Speaker 4: Lady.
Speaker 2: Listen, everybody. Things are looking pretty grim these days. My gen X brain is absolutely firing with thoughts of an earlier age of panic. Back in the early eighties, when we all assumed a nuclear firestorm was imminent. I lived in almost permanent terror as a young man. I saw that Quanti documentary The Man Who Saw Tomorrow about Nostradamus, and it really put the whamie on my head. But like most things in life, there was a to a problem, and that solution could be found at the movies. One of the best decisions I've ever made was sneaking into Boston to see a screening of Steve Dejarnett's unsung classic Miracle Mile. You know, the nineteen fifties were America's golden age. They were an age of prosperity. It's no wonder so many people are trying to get back there, what with the communist witch hunts and the institutionalized racism, and the rampant sexism, and the crippling terror of all out nuclear war. You know, in his novel Lullaby, Chuck Pollinik positive that every generation wants to be the last, And thanks to the fine people of the greatest generation, that became not only a possibility, but in the minds of many, a certainty. As the Cold War slammed in the high gear over the next few decades, Hollywood attempted to varying degrees of success to illuminate and or alleviate the fear of this fresh technological nightmare. These films would fall into two distinct categories. The first would dramatize the events leading up to armageddon and the efforts by military and government officials to stave off such an incident. Movies like Fails in War Games and No Doubt the best of them. Stanley Kubrick's Doctor Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. The second category was all about the aftermath, which itself would split into two diverse types, realistic as in The Day After or Threads and fantasy, best exemplified by The Terminator in The Road Warrior. Few, if any, of the films managed to capture the levels of personal paranoia and creeping menace that the nuclear threat managed to inflict on everyday life. For that film, moviegoers had to wait till nearly the end of the Cold War. The Air was nineteen eighty eight. In the film was the most nihilistic and simultaneously optimistic of the genre. Miracle Mile Love can true spin your head around?
Speaker 6: God?
Speaker 4: Where do you begin?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 5: Hello, we must have been meant to be together. It's too bad you.
Speaker 4: Have to work tonight, only till midnight.
Speaker 5: Fate is a funny thing.
Speaker 6: Take a nap because you're going to need all your energy tonight. It was one of those strange nights.
Speaker 3: Finally meet the right girl and you're blowing.
Speaker 6: That could ruin a whole day in a big way.
Speaker 1: Dad, it's happening. This is really hit.
Speaker 5: This is the people This is a joke, right.
Speaker 1: It's really happening.
Speaker 4: Happening, This can't be true.
Speaker 5: Well I'll be dead if we don't get out of here. Nobody believes this, do they?
Speaker 6: By be not funny to make a list for me people who want to bring along.
Speaker 1: We gotta get Julie. It's Julie, Harry Bropin. Who are you?
Speaker 3: Who are you stopping?
Speaker 1: Let me off? I don't stopping nothing. Jump, don't hurt me. Man, Man, I got knock and beat you, pioneer, I got everything.
Speaker 5: If it doesn't happen, I'll tell you what doesn't happen. Man, I'm dreaming. That's what I'm dreaming.
Speaker 2: You all ready to go?
Speaker 1: You're the pilot. Pray you know anybody.
Speaker 2: Could play helicopter helicopter pilots for all the helicopter pilot barker clothes.
Speaker 3: What's a problem. It's true.
Speaker 6: Love can be exciting, trust me with this, even terrified. Really I love you that nothing could prepare you for an experience like this? Why did you hear mirror mile?
Speaker 5: But I'm just a guy who who picked up the pro.
Speaker 2: As far as Anthony Edwards, fresh from his success as Goose and top Gun and Mayor Winningham. The film's plot is a deceptively simple what if scenario. What if late one night you picked up a ringing payphone and heard that.
Speaker 1: Dad speech? How come the foe was busy? Just not Jesus, Look, I'd wake you. It's it's happening. I can't believe it more. We're locked into it. Fifteen minutes in counting Christ, they're this kid taking it to fucking take it. I'm sorry, I shouldn't swear. I'm sorry, but this is it, This is really it. This is the big one for Arthur sixty six, azy d. You don't if I told you what happened, if it ever came down, Well, it is. We don't know why. I mean, why what are we? Huh? It's for real, Dad, there's no drill. We shoot our wad in fifteen minutes. They're gonna pick us up in five or ten, and you can get it back in an hour and ten, maybe seventy five minutes.
Speaker 5: What exactly you're talking about?
Speaker 1: I'm talking about nuclear fucking war. Who is this? Oh, where's my dad? Don't get my dad?
Speaker 2: You're dad, there's nobody here.
Speaker 5: Where's he supposed to be?
Speaker 1: How the hell would I know you're orange. I'm in North Dakota. Hey is this something I had a prank? Or something? Prank? Oh god? Is this two five four nine four? One? Uh yeah, yeah, yeah yeah it is.
Speaker 5: But listen, it's just a phone booth.
Speaker 1: It's a It's a.
Speaker 4: Phone booth at a coffee shop.
Speaker 1: I heard it ringing? Is this seven? One four? Did I two and three?
Speaker 5: Ship?
Speaker 1: Oh? I think they hurt me?
Speaker 3: Shit?
Speaker 1: Oh man, they see me on the monitor? Fuck? Can I patching the red Lannex? Come to do this? You're gonn nail my ass. Tell Dad? Just tell him that I am sorry about that summer. Okay, you'll know what I mean.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, look that's enough.
Speaker 1: Just tell anyone this is a joke, right, yes, sir? No, he know it's right. I was just checking the circuit, sir. Wait, what's curing? Did I trace?
Speaker 4: Listen?
Speaker 1: It's probably a fella.
Speaker 3: I need to joke around on the phone like this.
Speaker 1: Who are you? Who am I?
Speaker 3: Listen?
Speaker 5: I'm just a guy who picked up the phone.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know if this is a wrong phone number or a.
Speaker 5: Joke or what what happened to Chip?
Speaker 1: He was just joking, right, forget everything you've just heard and go back to sleep.
Speaker 2: Hey, Hey, a simple scenario, but one's reaction would be anything. But is the call genuine? Should you warn others? If it is, how safe can you make yourself in the two hours before the devastation begins? How many of your loved ones could you collect in that time? And if the call is fake, you'll run the risk of becoming the Atomic age chicken little yelling to any and all who listened to The sky is falling? So what should Harry do? The one thing he's definitely not doing is going back to sleep now. The actual Miracle Mile is a stretch of the Wilsher Corridor in Los Angeles. It was developed in the twenties and thirties by A. W. Ross, who made the precient decision to design the area to be seen while driving rather than walking. This became known as the linear downtown model and would be adopted by virtually every major metropolitan city worldwide. The street itself is aligned with shops, restaurants, museums, and, most importantly, for the sake of the film, the LaBrea tar pits. The tar pits are a naturally occurring phenomenon with tar Technically asphalt bubbling up from the earth. It's been at it for tens of thousands of years, and during that time snared an untold number of animals, not to mention everything from plants to insects to grains of pollen. The boiling asphalt preserves the specimens with some of the oldest fossils dating back thirty eight thousand years. Harry, a trombone player with a traveling big band combo, is in town for a gig and killing time at the tarpits. He meets local girl Julie, and the attraction is instant and mutual. They spend a near perfect day together, culminating at a concert at the old Pan Pacific Auditorium, where if you listen close you can here at Livia Newton.
Speaker 5: John.
Speaker 2: Julie and Harry then make plans to continue their date when Julie finishes her waitressing shift at midnight, but a freak accident knocks out his building's power in his alarm clock and Harry oversleeps arriving three hours late, Julie's gone, leaving Harry to deal with a collection of late night la oddballs played by some of the best character actors of all time. Olan Jones, who's played so many waitresses in her career that I think we as a nation owe her a collective tip. Robocomp's boss Robert Dewey, security chief Tasha Yarn, Denise Crosby, and Earl Bowen. You'll probably remember him as Doctor Silverman and the Terminator films. If you like the Terminator movies, you're in luck because we have Jeanette Goldstein and the always awesome Brian Thompson. Whether or not the calm was authentic, it's enough to spook the Diners Denizens into a hasty trip to Lax, where a plane has been chartered to fly them to the Southern Hemisphere. Harry remains behind with a promise that if you can make it to the top of the Mutual Benefit Life Building, a helicopter will be ready to transport him in several others to the airport. At this point, the film becomes virtually real time, as Harry navigates the empty landscapes of early morning Los Angeles in an attempt to reunite with Julie and whisk her away from danger, which proves easier said than done, forcing Harry to enlist the help of Wilson a car stereo thief played by Michael T. Williamson, who was Bubba, the shrimp loving Vietnam Pallo Forest Gump. It's kind of weird that he played Bubba and a character named Wilson. With the clock ticking relentlessly on, they run up against overzellist cops and armed citizens, one of them played by mister Blue himself novelist Eddie Bunker, before Harry is finally reconnected with Julie. Though released just prior to the Soviet collapse, Miracle Mile was written a decade earlier by Steve Dejarnett. The script was immediately optioned by Warner Brothers, who baulked the idea of entrusting a neophyte filmmaker with directing, and with Dejarnet unwilling to change the script, it sat unproduced for years. At one point it almost became the Twilight Zone movie. It eventually landed on the first ever Best Unproduced screenplaylist, currently known as the Blacklist. De Jarnet made an unprecedented move at this point. He took his salary for writing the first draft of Strange Brew the Bob and Doug McKenzie movie, and used it to buy back his screenplay. His rewrite garnered even more interest, and Dejarnett turned down an offer of nearly half a million dollars to sell it out right, convinced that he was the best filmmaker to tell the story. And what a story, Because the call isn't a prank. The world begins to awake to a living nightmare, and we end where we begin, at the libre at tart Pits. It's a horrifying ending. It's brutal and frustrating and heartbreaking, but also beautiful and amazing and hopeful. Because nothing is permanent. Life is a mad scramble, full of missed opportunity, bad luck, and misfortune and dread, but it's all worthwhile when you find someone to love and be loved by. It manages to put all the goddamn troubles of the world in perspective and maybe the only true permanence we're apt to find. Everyone on the planet is going to die with or without nuclear annihilation, but to do it together in a place with the proof of that level will survive thousands of years. You can't do much better than that. Fuck. I hope I didn't bum you out too much. Midnight viewers, I've had Apocalypse on the brain lately, so it'd be wrong not to share. Speaking of, if you look in the show notes, you'll find a link to a Spotify playlist I made. It's an End Times mixtape. Pop it in and keep watching the Skies. Tune into this Friday if you would. Mister HP is rejoining us to take care of that listener chosen music episode. That's right, we are taking a look at Little Shump of Horrors. Say where did you get such an unusual plant? If you want to hit me up, go to father blone seven to one at a gmail dot com for letters and inquiries and such, and hit us up on Instagram. Midnight Viewing has its own account. I'll link that as well, and the Patreon. You guys know this call to action business. We'll leave you with a bit from Jurassic World. Now I'm kidding, Get the fuck out of here. Here's more from Miracle Mile.
Speaker 5: You'll find us here. So many uh huh is in a museum.
Speaker 6: Mm hmm.
Speaker 5: Maybe we'll get in direct head little metamorphosis superman. He could take him up of coal and he'd squeeze it. It would make a diamond. Yeah, you me, hurry with me. Shut show.
Speaker 4: Sho show show show