Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by LA Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like back David Basse.
Speaker 2: We are live at Bush Stadium in Saint Louis after the Cardinals beat the Dodgers five to two.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Basse with you until eight thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA.
Speaker 3: Sports.
Speaker 2: Phone lines are open at eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy. This is my only Dodger Talk show of the week. Tim Kats has been doing a great job as I am filling in for Kirsten Watson on Sports Net LA on this road trip today a national televised game, no Sports Net LA. So I'm back home where I belong here on AM five seventy LA Sports and Dodger Talk all as well with kirston. She just chose to take this road trip off and she will be back money day when the Dodgers return home for a ten game homestand beginning with Justin Turner and the Seattle Mariners on Monday night at Dodgers Stadium. So looking forward to that, looking forward to talking to you tonight. Between now and eight thirty, we have a great show for you. We are going to take your phone calls. We are going to talk about the tough decisions the Dodgers have to make here in the next couple of days, with Tommy Edmund and Max Munsey coming back. Also, you will hear from Tyler Glass now. We caught up with him before today's game. Wanted to hear from him what's going on with his elbow and exactly how things went down from a bullpen session that he completed with no pain to landing on the il with right elbow ten to nine ers. So we will hear from Tyler Glass now coming up at the top of the hour.
Speaker 3: But as far as.
Speaker 2: This game goes tonight, I was really hoping Bobby Miller would be able to shove and get everybody back on the Bobby Ice bandwagon. It just did not materialize, and you could see it in the first inning.
Speaker 3: It was a Bobby.
Speaker 2: Miller that did not have command of his secondary pitches. And I love the breakdown Jose Mota gave us because it kind of looked that way even though we are pretty high up here in the press box, it looked like Bobby Miller was pushing his pitches and he's throwing ninety eight. I know, I understand all that. I know the Dodgers would not pitch him in a game if he was not healthy. He was supposed to start in Oklahoma City, but was scratched from his start a couple of days ago, so he was a full go down there. But you have to wonder whether or not Bobby Miller is being honest with himself and honest with the Dodgers about how he's feeling physically with his shoulder. Two seasons in a row with some shoulder issues that have delayed his seasons and put him on the il two years in a row, and all of a sudden, maybe he was overcompensating and that's why he had a groin injury that prevented him from pitching for about a week and a half two weeks. You just wonder, and I over the years, not just with baseball, but the NBA and college football, covering those sports a lot, you see really good players not perform at the level that you have seen them perform before. And instead of just jumping to the conclusion, Ah he's washed.
Speaker 3: He stinks.
Speaker 2: A young man like Bobby Miller doesn't just lose it. You have to wonder if there is something physically going on that he's trying to push through because he feels the urgency of not only his season, but also making a mark in his career with his very competitive Dodger pitching staff. Not just with the guys that are here right now, but you know the guys that are coming up through the system. You don't want to be passed up like Tony Gonsolin and Dustin may have been passed up by a lot of other young pitchers in the Dodger organization. So I'm sure he feels that pressure as well to pitch. I saw him on the bus today. You know, I just on the mount. It doesn't matter what I see on the bus. What I saw on the mounta tonight was not a confident Bobby Miller. That's not the same Bobby Miller we saw last year. He dominated this Cardinals lineup last year, and you're telling me tonight he can't go even five innings. There's something off, and I'm not sure when we're going to find out. And I'm not sure when Bobby's going to be honest with himself, because right now he's not the same guy. Let's head downstairs right now before we get to your phone call.
Speaker 3: So we have two.
Speaker 2: Lines open at eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Let's hear from Bobby Miller and what he had to say after tonight's games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I've obviously been working on a lot, but I mean the biggest thing was working on delivery and stuff like that, like mechanics, trying to get the velocity back. Might have been chasing that a little bit too much instead of just pure pitching. You know, I can build off off of tonight as well. You know, really just tonight, it was just falling behind a couple of guys, like two oh two to one. Yeah, one of the homers. I thought, I got very inside. You know, it's two h count. There's no excuse for that. Yeah, just falling behind. You know, I feel like if I got ahead of a lot more betters today, Strike one, get one would have been a completely different ball game. But yeah, delivery fell a lot better, you know, walks her down, but still falling behind accounts.
Speaker 5: So I lost was like ninety nine ish in the first thing that kind of dipped it from there?
Speaker 3: Is that just sort of getting out of your delivery and sort of.
Speaker 4: That think, you know, I've just had a lot of time in between these last few outings, sliolly building endurance back up right now. My arm felt great the whole time threwout, so you know, could have just been like first game back. Jader's a little bit had that a little bit today, but you know, I'm felt good. Just fell behind some hitters and next time out there, you know, just focus on getting strike one and it'll be a different ballgame.
Speaker 6: Have you guys been able to like just say, for like why and me don't speak and man hasn't quick down there?
Speaker 7: That for you?
Speaker 4: This year really just pulling off towards the first play side a little bit, you know on the slider. Those hulled sliders really just came from like pulling off, you know, trying to focus too much down and the way instead of think keeping the line middle and making it look more like a strike the whole time. My last outing the slider was a lot better. I wasn't really yanking at that much. Yeah, I definitely could have thrown the change up a little more tonight as well. It wasn't there at the beginning of a game, but towards the end it felt really good. Kind of some swinging misses on it, but they also had some really good takes on some change ups as well. So you got to tip the cap on that we.
Speaker 3: Had to move.
Speaker 8: The factor has been able to command the.
Speaker 5: Secondary stuff been this year, leading to some of these troubles.
Speaker 4: You know, towards the end of the game, I thought it was a little bit better. Really only really had the the curve ball at the end of the game and the change up. But if I had that change up in the beginning of the game, I think it would have been a different story as well, showing different speeds and stuff instead of just a lot of high glossy fastballs. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 5: We hadn't taping you. Obvious instant decision to kind of send you down they the house for priding.
Speaker 6: It was after you important and tough since you.
Speaker 4: Kind of did that news that he was on the Oh, it was very tough, you know, But I mean I wasn't surprised either, you know, That's how I was pitching, you know, coming back from the injury. Uh, it was it was really tough, you know, just coming back in the middle of the season when a lot of people were in mid season fom you know, I didn't realize how tough it would actually be. I definitely took that for granted, you know, just solely slowly building off each outing right now, you know I couldn't. I can definitely build off the night. It's really just falling behind a few guys. And I really think that was just the weak spot tonight, was falling behind with early off speed and fastball as he ink in a couple but you know, just folks on getting the strike one on every single batter and stiffen ball game.
Speaker 3: All right, there's Bobby Miller.
Speaker 2: And thanks to my guy Jan Terribio from Dodgers dot com for bringing us Bobby Miller in the Dodger Clubhouse. And look, he was very honest right there with his answers when he got when he came back from the setback with his shoulder to start the year. He took for granted how tough it is to just parachute in the middle of the season was start one, while other pitchers have had a full spring training and are well ahead of him. So I took That was one of the biggest things I took away from listening to what he had to say right there and also being honest with himself to the with the two to zero fastball to Alec Burlison for a two run the home run, which you know was was basically the reason being he could not land his breaking stuff, and that was in the third inning with one out, he got Victor Scott, the nine hitter, to fly out to center field, gave up a base hit to Mason Win, and then Win was able to come around and score on the two run home run by Alec Burlison. But that seems to be the bat that's the micro causm a Bobby season where he gets behind and counts because he can't land his secondary pitches and hitters are sitting on his fastball. So that was very frustrating for him and obviously to watch if you're Dave Roberts, eight six, six, nine, seven two, five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight, five to two. The Dodgers took the lead in the first inning on textbook baseball, get him on, get him over, get him in. Show Hao Tany led off the first inning by getting on base with a walk, stole second, got to third base on a fly ball from Mookie Betts to left field, and with the infield drawn in, Freddie Freeman hit a ground ball through.
Speaker 3: The right side of the infield.
Speaker 2: That was beautiful, and you thought with the Dodger scoring first, that was a good sign they were going to win the game because they were fifty two and thirteen coming into today. When they scored first, that obviously was not meant to be. The Cardinals got the momentum back when they scored a run in the bottom half of the first inning off of Bobby Miller. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, Freddie Freeman left this game in the eighth inning with a jammed right middle finger. That's his throwing hand fielding a ground ball by Nolan Gorman. And we'll hear from Freddy in just a moment to see how he's feeling and whether or not it's going to keep him out of the lineup for a couple of days. If it does, you know, it's really hurt because Freddy is going to be out there.
Speaker 3: Rainers. Shine. Let's go out to Teluka Lake lead us off on Dodger Talk tonight.
Speaker 9: Hey DV I hope you're doing well. Good to hear you back where you belong. I'm not doing the talk show real quick. Something I want to unpack. I noticed Gradarole on that injury that he got. I don't know if you noticed or anybody brought it up. It seemed like the play before where there was a ground ball foul hit down the third line, where he sprinted toward that thing, and then he came back and threw that next pitch which he supposedly got injured. On my point of telling you this, it just seems like I know it's been brought up at some point. The staff, whether it's the physio, the training, the medical, they need to be a little more accountable, I think for all these injuries that we're having, Dave.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know where this, Dave, I don't know where this narrative started, but I'm gonna nip it in the bud right here. The Dodger training staff is one of the best baseball those guys.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Ever since there was a somewhat of a change in training staff regime three or four years ago, they have been much better and very proactive. So I'm not going to buy that these injuries are on the training staff. I'm sorry, Tommy John Elbow's blowing out. I know it's very abnormal to have these many on one team the last couple of years, But that's not on the training staff. That's on how these pitchers are being trained and what's being emphasized in the minor leagues, not just with the Dodgers, but across baseball.
Speaker 3: So that's not on the training staff.
Speaker 9: Well, the expectation is, you know, these guys are coming in and they're throwing you know, these huge bullpen sessions at triple digit numbers, and it's like, at some point something's got to change. I'm not just saying for the Dodgers, but in general. These guys like taking a sports car and driving on the track and then using it as your everyday driver.
Speaker 2: It's just, well, are you gonna blame the training staff for what Bobby Miller just admitted he was doing chasing velocity. He's got to get away from that and be more like Gavin Stone, who's a pitcher who's not chasing velocity one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: You look at these guys like you know Greg Maddox. I know there's only one Greg Maddox, but he pitched for how many years? And he was crafty and you know the guy as far as Kershaw right.
Speaker 2: Now, Kershaw's throwing eighty eight ninety miles an hour and getting more outs than Bobby Miller throwing ninety eight tonight.
Speaker 9: Right, Well, we need to you know, we need to focus on that then. I mean again, not necessarily on the training staff, just the approach from the entire organization.
Speaker 2: Like the approach is got to start at the high school level too, Dave, go to, uh, anywhere in your local neighborhood there, go to our high school and ask the baseball coach what they're emphasizing and how they're training their pitchers.
Speaker 3: Seriously, do a deep dive on that.
Speaker 9: Well one let one let okay.
Speaker 3: Report back on out of the grassroots.
Speaker 9: One last thing, Dave, real quick, which I think is relevant from what I understand now, some of the minor leagues, they're taking these guys who historically weren't pictures but they could throw, you know, the upper nineties or whatever, and they're turning them into pictures because they're not coming into the you know, the professional ranks with that kind of mileage on the r Dave, that's.
Speaker 2: Been happening for years, Dave, Dave, that's been happening for years. Ken Lee Jansen was a catcher and they converted him to a pitcher because he couldn't hit.
Speaker 3: That's been happening for years.
Speaker 10: Okay, well, hope hopefully we'll get better at the right time. I feel the fact that this division is close, We've got a renewed focus and we're not taking anything for granted, and I have a high expectation we're going to do well this year in the playoffs, assuming everybody's healthy, and I'm hopeful.
Speaker 9: That's all he could say.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave, all right, Dave, thanks a lot for the phone callppreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers fault tonight to the Cardinals. The Padres are winning, They're likely going to be just two games back by the time this show is over, and the Arizona Diamondbacks lost to the race, so they remain three games back. Let's go out to Woodland Hills. John, You're on Dodger Talk with David Vassey.
Speaker 3: Hi, John, yeah, I know it's you.
Speaker 8: Know, it's only August twentieth, but I think there's definitely cause for concern for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: The reason being only August twentieth. It's getting late early. As the Great Yogi bearra would say, John.
Speaker 8: I'm made to that, David. I have to tell you. Anybody that's calling the show and saying that the Dodgers will make the playoffs but they may not make a run, they don't understand the game of baseball. They don't understand. I mean, right now, the Padres and the Diamondbacks are breathing down their necks and there's no fight in these Dodgers. These Dodgers don't have that person in the clubhouse that will fire them up. You know, I'm thinking of you know, I'm thinking about guys from the past that literally would give that energy that they need. They don't have that right now. And Bobby Miller an over five r Bobby Miller had an over five e r A in triple A. There's no way he was going to be successful today in Saint Louis. Zero chance that he was going to have a good outing. When he can't get guys out in triple A they've got huge issues. Both the holes are are rampant in terms of in terms of the Dodger lineup. Uh, I'm sorry, but our amazing catcher.
Speaker 2: I actually feel like the Dodger lineup, the holes are going to be filled here coming up when the Dodgers return home.
Speaker 3: John, Well, you might.
Speaker 8: Be right, but I think Barnes has to get a little bit more opportunity in the lineup because he manages the pitching staff so much better as good as as good at it.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm with you on that, John, will Smith is is the everyday catcher because of his bat, not because of his defensive prowess. If he's not hitting, Austin Barnes should be catching more than once a week.
Speaker 8: I agree. I mean there was some plays today that cost the Dodgers runs and it was all based on Will's you know, play behind the plate. And if he's not hitting home runs, if he's not hitting doubles, then I mean Barnes has been hot for a while. I mean, there's no reason he plays.
Speaker 3: Once a week. He plays once a week. Think about that. Think how hard it is to hit?
Speaker 2: We keep hearing all these hitters say it's so hard to hit so hard to hit, How much harder is it to hit major league pitching when you're only playing once a week. So look, I'm not saying that Will Smith is not a really good catcher and hitting catcher and doesn't deserve to play the majority of the games. But look, there is something wrong. He's not hitting the base spelled the way he used to for whatever reason this year. So if he's not hitting and he's hitting sixth in the lineup, then maybe the Dodgers need to consider giving him more rest, giving him more days off. All right, John, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: And by the way, tonight Bobby Miller had four wild pitches. I would contend two of them were on Will Smith, but nonetheless they go down as wild pitches. That is most by a Dodger pitcher in a game since Fred Norman in August of nineteen seventy against the Cubs at Wrigley Field. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight, five to two. And speaking of some of the quote holes in the Dodger lineup, they are going to be filled. And I feel like the bottom of the Dodger order has already been better than what we saw the majority of the season because Kevin Kiermeier has It's been a breath of fresh air, not only defensively in center field, but also offensively. And I know tonight he hit into a double play, but last night, the Dodgers don't win without Kevin Kiermeyer's for RBI. So for the most part, he's been very good offensively, exceeding my expectations for what he might be able to do with the Dodgers, and so far, I'll give you the exact numbers with the Dodgers in twelve games, kier Myers hitting two fifty nine with an ops of seven seventeen. So that's better than I thought, especially him understanding what his role is at the bottom of the order, to get on base, to move the runner over. Those are things that don't show up in the box score. And on Monday, the Dodgers are going to activate Tommy Edmund. Tommy Edmund is going to play primarily center field, and when they want to give Miguel Rojas days off, I'm sure you're going to see Edmund at shortstop, meaning Kevin Kiermaier and Tommy Edmund will be at shortstop and center field, respectively, And the Dodgers have very interesting decisions to make roster wise, with Edmund being activated on Monday and Max Munsey going to be activated on Tuesday. And the way I'm looking at it is Nick Ahmed is going to be designated for assignment and Andy Pajez probably is going to be optioned down to the minor leagues, because I don't see the Dodgers just cutting loose Jason Hayward. He's not had a great year, but the Dodgers have had a lot of respect for that veteran, so at least for now, that's the way I see it going with those first two moves. The other question is, with Keik Hernandez hitting three hundred in the month of August and playing the defense that he's playing at third base, does Max Munsey automatically get his position back, or since Monthsey was only hitting one sixty three against lefties, do we now have a platoon at third base. I don't believe it's a foregone conclusion. Max Munsey gets his third base job every day back, at least in the immediate future. Your thoughts eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Ken in Newport Beach. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hi, Ken, hey man. First off, I want to tell you, I think you're doing an excellent job being live and doing what you know, what's what's her name used to do? I'm really impressed. I think you're really doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Oh you're talking about you know sometimes I feel like Chris Farley, fat guy in a little coat on TV.
Speaker 3: Ken, But I like to talk baseball.
Speaker 7: Yeah, No, you're doing this super job. Smith.
Speaker 8: There's something wrong here.
Speaker 7: It's one thing. In July and August he's barely hitting over two hundred. But all the time I've watched him, I've never seen him. I don't want to say bobble, but he normally picks up those those bad pitches. That's four and two of them. He should have caught it, Like you said, I don't know if he needs to see if i'mtometrous, there's something wrong health wise, But this.
Speaker 2: Is I think tonight, Ken, Ken, I think tonight he looked very sluggish behind the plate, and at the plate he looked very sluggish.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I don't know, man, That hitting is one thing. He's barely over two hundred, but four balls I've never seen that happen to him because he's a great catcher. So they need to have somebody take away at him.
Speaker 2: And I wouldn't say he's a great catcher, ken. I think that that's a little I would not call him a great catcher.
Speaker 8: He's been a good catcher.
Speaker 2: That's different than great. Johnny Bench was great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm just looking at what happened today defensively and putting it with the last two months offensively, and I'm saying they need to have somebody look at them. Something's wrong. This is the you know, you don't have a slump for two months and you don't let four balls get past you in an important game.
Speaker 2: So I agree, And that's why I feel like if you want to get Will Smith back, give him more time to work on his hitting, because when he's catching, he cannot focus on fixing whatever. And also give him some days off play Austin Barnes more. I mean Austin Barnes in twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen, twenty twenty caught the majority of those playoff games because the lights were too bright for he has MONI Grandal, and he was better defensively than Will Smith, and Will was the DH.
Speaker 3: So why not play Austin Barnes a little bit more?
Speaker 2: Especially now that you're getting Munthsie back, You're gonna get Tommy Edmond, so you can afford to compensate at least twice a week for your offense, and you're not really compensating that that much considering Smith's not hitting. To get better defense behind the plate, I.
Speaker 7: Agree that's you know, the two most important, in my opinion, positions on the field are center field and catcher, and you've got to have great defense in those two or you're gonna have problems always.
Speaker 2: All right, Ken, thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy. We have three lines open as we are taking you to the bottom of the hour live from Bush Stadium in Saint Louis. After the Cardinals beat the Dodgers five to two. Look the Dodger lineup. It's got to figure out a way to score more than two runs on four hits. But everybody keeps talking about these holes Offensively. The Dodgers, I believe, are going to be fine, especially when Tommy Edman comes back. Max Muntsey's going to be in the fold all of a sudden, Now one through nine, Where are you going to exhale if you're an opposing pitcher, especially if Will Smith gets things going here. One through nine, all of a sudden, when the Dodgers are healthy beginning next week, is going to be really.
Speaker 3: Tough for the opposing pitcher.
Speaker 2: That I would contend one through nine with Tommy Edmund, Max Munsey or Keike Hernandez, along with everybody else that's in the lineup right now, and tonight the Dodgers sat ti Oscar Hernandez, who has not had a great road trip all of a sudden, now, I would contend one through nine. The Dodgers have the best lineup in baseball eight six, six, nine, eight seven, two five seventy. When we continue live from Bush Stadium, more of your phone calls, and also we'll hear from Freddie Freeman to give us an update on his jam middle finger in the eighth inning. And also Tyler Glassnow, who was supposed to start tonight, but yesterday the Dodgers decided, you know what, glass Now is talking about his elbow.
Speaker 3: We need him down the stretch il for you.
Speaker 2: We'll get Tyler's out of the story when we continue live from Bush Stadium in Saint Louis after the Cardinals beat the Dodgers five to two on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Massonitch.
Speaker 2: From Polante to o'tohonny is wings Hits are trying to write and date this fall's.
Speaker 3: Back and it is gone into the bullpen.
Speaker 2: A line drive home run for show, Hey o'tony It's three to two.
Speaker 3: Home run number thirty eight for Otani show, Hey Otani, with a very good game tonight. He scored both of the.
Speaker 2: Dodger runs, that one, driving himself in with his thirty eighth home run of the year in the fifth inning. But the Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight five two. This is Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Bush Stadium in Saint Louis, with you until eight thirty tonight. We will hear from Tyler Glass now in a moment, but first want to remind you that Daniels Jewelers is the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number otani Homwerk for the Dodgers tonight. But the Cardinals got three home runs, one from Alec Burlison, a two run shot, and solo shots from Mason Winn and Nolan Arenato. By the way, Mason Wynn might be my favorite player not wearing a Dodger uniform to watch play the game of baseball. I love the way he plays shortstop. I love the electricity he brings to the bases. And he's got some pop too, as we saw tonight. So remember that name, Mason Winn, and if you're a baseball card fan, go find his rookie card. Might be worse something down the road, but Mason win that's the name I feel is going to be in the thorn of the Dodgers side for years to come. Speaking of that, Nolan Aernato's home run was his twenty third home run against the Dodgers. How about that, No excuse me, his thirty second home run against the Dodgers and his ninety ninth run against the Dodgers in one hundred and fifty three games played against them. Here's another interesting note on Aeronado's home run. It was only his thirteenth of the season, and him and Paul Goldschmid have not had great years. That's part of the reason why the Cardinals are basically on the brink of playoff elimination.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 2: They have combined to hit thirty two home runs. Otani hit his thirty eighth alone tonight, So those two guys, Goldschmid and Aeronato combined have not hit as many home runs as show hey Otani eight six, six, nine, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. Also, the Dodgers not only lost the game, but they lost their first baseman, Freddie Freeman, who played his two thousandth career game last night. He had to come out of this game because of a jammed right middle finger, that's his throwing hand. He jammed it fielding a ground ball by Nolan Gorman in the sixth inning, and we noticed that Freddy was not on deck in the bottom of the eighth inning. It never got to his spot, but we did notice obviously that he did not come out to play defense. Keyy Hernandez finished the final inning at first base, with Miguel Rojas sliding over to third and Nick Ahmed at shortstop. So everybody wants to know how serious is this jammed right middle finger? Here is Freddy Freeman moments ago.
Speaker 11: Yes, the bad hop to the right right, he went back with ball, but you can see kind of pull up the tip of my finger.
Speaker 8: So well, the ball hit your fing in the ground.
Speaker 11: The moon hit my finger.
Speaker 6: The X rays, it's crazy negative be allowed X rays.
Speaker 11: I'm a little nervous and the finger blew up like that.
Speaker 6: You think I'll do any more further test tomorrow, I don't think.
Speaker 11: So we're going to go with day to day and you know I've already iced it, so we're gonna see how it is.
Speaker 4: Don't really have.
Speaker 11: Any X rays or negative and we'll see how it is.
Speaker 6: Just well, like the swelling increase over the course of the game.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean it just started getting bigger, bigger, And as you guys know, when you jams something it just kind of swells and gets tight and then I just didn't even kind of hurt me throw so best to get me out and gets mye on it and see if yeah, we could.
Speaker 3: Do the next day.
Speaker 1: Did he try and grab a batter?
Speaker 3: And I have not. I just I didn't think.
Speaker 2: Hopefully he's back in the Dodger lineup tomorrow. If not, you know it won't be too long thereafter that Freddy will be back in there. He prides himself if he's available on the team, in the dugout to be out there. And he certainly expressed expressed that to us before yesterday's game, which was a milestone game, two thousand career games. Not many guys can say that. And uh, we'll see where Freddy's at tomorrow morning. If it was a night game, maybe we'd give the Dodgers a little more of a chance to manage it to get him ready to play. But a quick turnaround, I would say it's fifty to fifty for Freddy to play. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers fall tonight five to two to the Cardinals. How about you see riversides? Andre Palante going seven innings tonight to pick up his fifth win of the year.
Speaker 3: I see you and eaters. I'm not gonna ignore.
Speaker 2: That Bobby Miller lost the game tonight for the Dodgers, a spot start for Tyler glass Now, who was scheduled to start tonight. And this was somewhat weird that Tyler glass Now did not start tonight and we did not get an official roster move until thirty minutes before first pitch yesterday.
Speaker 3: We found out after the game.
Speaker 2: Maybe part of the reason why was that Tyler glass Now was trying to make his case that he was good to go. But once you alert the training staff that there is something going on with your elbow, it's their responsibility to treat it cautiously. Especially with the Dodgers who are looking towards the postseason. You're not going to compromise Tyler glass Now for one start in Saint Louis in the middle of August. So he sounded the alarm bell by letting them know he was feeling a little something in his right elbow after his bullpen session a couple of days ago. So you can't blame the Dodgers, and I understand glass Now feeling great today. Wanted to pitch today, but you know, as a pitcher, once you I mean, come on, put yourself in Dave Roberts shoes, put you yourself in the training staff shoes. A picture of Tyler Glassnow's caliber tells you, you know what, my elbow's not feeling right.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do?
Speaker 2: You're going to obviously played extremely cautious and put him on the fifteen day il and not have them start tonight.
Speaker 3: But it seemed like after.
Speaker 2: Glass Now said that he tried to walk it back the last couple of days and yesterday afternoon, that's not how it works. The Dodgers have a long track record of protecting their pictures and players being extra cautious.
Speaker 3: So here was Tyler.
Speaker 2: Glass Now earlier today explaining his side of the chain of events.
Speaker 6: No, just like after a bullpen, just a little sore, nothing crazy, and I just think they wanted me to go on the aisle. Just give me more time, kind of having postseason as the priority.
Speaker 2: Dave said, yesterday, you fought to try to make today's start.
Speaker 3: Did you feel well enough to start today?
Speaker 6: I feel fine now, Yeah, I think I think that's the most frustrating thing I think it's just I don't know. I I didn't want to go on the IL, you know, but I think the decision was made, and I think maybe I'm not like logically thinking or something, but I feel fine. I just think their main priority, like I said, is postseason, so I kind of didn't have like a they didn't. Yeah, I guess I'm just on the ile.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been able to process all that when you kind of let them know you felt something and them playing it's safe.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I got like spoke my mind and they spoke theirs, and they ultimately get the decision. And it's not like you know, I mean, it's out of like trying to decide the best decision for me and the team. So it's not like you know what I mean, like I trust all the medical staff and the coaches and front office, and if that's what they want to do, that's what they want to do, and I just I'm looking forward to the postseason else anything similarly with this in your elbow this year, on the course of the season, I think like after surgery, there's just like tightness within that because they kind of like double loop that ligament in there and like there's for a while after there's gonna be like a little bit of like space created, you know what I mean. So there's gonna be some tightness, and that's kind of like all it felt like. So it is a similar feeling, you know what I mean, just from like post top stuff. So it was nothing like super concerning to me.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you've had enough stuff gone on with your elbow that you have a pretty good handle on whoa, what's a little more serious what's not? Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think so, But I think, like, yeah, I guess, I mean, I guess going in after that bullpen and saying stuff, I think they just maybe were a little concerned and they just they wanted to do this, and I think just previous years past, like kind of getting injured. I'm sure that was taken into account. And whether I think it is like a too aggressive approach, it's one thing. But I like, I again, like they're just trying to get me ready for postseason. That's the only thing that matters. So I think if I miss a starter or two, like I'll be frustrate and everything. But I think the long term picture, it does it make more sense. Like it's hard to swallow, but it is what it is. You know, you're kind of like a normal brushing on the eyel sort of your normal same routine.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 6: So I'm not really quite sure what I'm gonna do. I'm still waiting for some into but I think I'm just gonna take a little bit of time start throwing. Like I feel good now, i'd probably start throwing, and I think hopefully I can. It's like retroactive or whatever, and I'll be able to start. I don't even know the day, like twelve days from now or something like that. So that's the only thing I've kind of planning torch right now.
Speaker 5: I kind of went through six scans and got information from the team. Did they think kind of what just happens? Like, I know we've made a big deal about the innings and stuff like that, but does that kind of play a factor in through anything?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 5: What do you mean, like thetend and night is kind of creeping up at this sum of the year, Like it's just kind of like something to happen that the surgery or like.
Speaker 6: This, I don't potentially like part of me thinks it's just as like a post like it hasn't been that long sin surgery and my arm has been feeling really good. It's just one of those like I think there's just scar tissue and things that have to open up and or it's not maybe like I don't it feels pretty fine to me though. Yeah, I just think that's just the nature of throwing. And like I think ten and night is something that everyone deals with at some point, So I think it's just like a cautious approach and it is what it is, you know, something No, I mean I kind of want to say something, and it's almost like a for me to say something. It was like, Okay, I like want to mention it, you know, And then I think that day it was just a normal soreness, and then like the following days it was like, oh, I feel like it's fine. I just think I'm also planning on or like my most important priority is postseason and like winning a World Series. And I think just with with being here for so long and having the contract, like I think I'm kind of obligated to like mention it to them and like we kind of have to think of it as a team, you know, and whether yeah, yeah, did.
Speaker 2: You did you have an MRI and Did that give you some sort of peace of mind?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm waiting.
Speaker 6: It wasn't like anything crazy. I'm still waiting for like people to like look at it and talk about it, you know, like doctors and stuff. So I'm still I'm waiting on that. But what I've gotten initially is like it's it's fine, just tenan itis. Yeah, did you cut short your bullpen session or did you just know it was normal?
Speaker 3: Felt good?
Speaker 6: Just a little soreness, like I said, But like there's like a fine line, I guess, like everyone has a little soreness, you know what I mean. Like it's just one of those things I mentioned, And they just took a really cautious route and it's probably better off for everyone.
Speaker 3: So it is what it is, all right, it is what it is. Tyler Glass.
Speaker 2: Now you have said that your elbow wasn't feeling great, and the Dodgers did the responsible thing by putting you on the injured list, and you heard what Tyler glassnaw had to say. He expects to be back pitching in twelve days when he's eligible to come off the il. Well, that puts him right in line to either pitch the final game of the Baltimore Orioles series at Dodgers Stadium, but more than likely the Dodgers will hold him back and set them up to pitch during the four game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks in Phoenix, which begins on August thirtieth. How big of a series is that? Now, four big games in the desert for the Dodgers at the end of this month, and Tyler glass Now more than likely will be lined up to pitch one of those four games, and hopefully the Dodgers by now by then will have a larger lead in the division than they do right now. The Padres are only going to be two games back at the end of tonight, and the Diamondbacks, who lost in Tampa Bay are remaining three games back. So that was Tyler glass Now's explanation before today's game on why all of a sudden he could not make tonight's start or today's start, and just how there was some sort of back and forth not only between him and the team, but also it sounded like he had a lot of voices in his own head trying to figure out and kind of rationalize what was going on in his elbow. What I will say is the good news is that it's not serious. Ten tonightis what I also will say, and I'll get back on my soapbox, Mike Clayton Kershaw appreciation soapbox. I feel like we all take for granted the fact that a guy like Kershaw, throughout his career has taken the ball no matter how he has felt, to be able to go out there and make close to thirty starts as many times as possible. He has done thirty starts six times in his career, He's made at least twenty five starts ten times in his career, and he's made at least twenty starts fifteen times in his career. So here we are talking about Tyler Glass now making a career high twenty two starts, and we have to be very careful with him, which is fine, that's his career, that's his path. But I think we all should remind ourselves that not only has Clayton Kershaw been one of the greatest pitchers the sport has ever seen, but part of that is he's out there every fifth day and not getting extra rest all the time throughout the majority of his career. Now, obviously he's in the twilight of his career, things are a little bit different, but even last year he made twenty plus starts. And I will also say we should all appreciate the all time Dodgers saves leader ken Lee Janssen. How many relievers make fifty appearances for thirteen straight full seasons. I would love to know what other closer has been able to do that. And as you know, Kenley Jansen didn't just come in for one out in the ninth inning or even three outs in the ninth inning of games when he was at the height of his powers in twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, Dave Roberts trotted him out for a lot of multiple inning saves and Alex Kora actually did that before the All Star break this year, so he's still going strong. How many relievers pitch fifty games in thirteen straight full seasons. How many relievers and closers, specifically because the ninth inning is high stress, appear in sixty games nine times in their career doesn't happen. I think we all have to appreciate the fact these pitchers that are able to be reliable. That's part of being a great player, being reliable, being able to be out there. If Tyler glasnow wants to be an ace, he's got to be reliable to be out there every fifth day, And the Dodgers have taken extra good care of him, giving him extra day's rest all season long. So I feel like last year was a step forward in his career. This year has been another step forward in his career, and hopefully the postseason takes him to another level in his career. But moving forward, I feel like the training wheels have got to come off on Tyler Glass now. He's got to be reliable and manage his body and manage the pain tolerance to be out there for twenty five at least twenty five starts. I believe he he did feel pain in his elbow. I'm not questioning that, But today he's saying he feels fine. So it's hard for me to back Tyler Glass now to say, you know what, you shouldn't have put him on the il. You left the Dodgers no other choice. When you say your elbows barking after a bullpen session, they had no other choice.
Speaker 3: There's nothing they could do.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Cardinals tonight five to two. Let's take one more phone call before we say good night. Bobby in the Central Valley. How you doing, Bobby, You're on Dodger Talk. Walk us off?
Speaker 3: Good Thank you, Davie.
Speaker 12: Hey, I was agreeing with you on the curse all talk. We kind of forget about him, man, he's uh, he's been our guy for X amount of years and uh, you know right now he's all went healthy and hopefully he'll carry us through.
Speaker 7: I would tell my cousin today, I go here we go again.
Speaker 12: We're gonna have to rely on Poort Curshaw.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but he's a min staple man.
Speaker 12: You know, he's our guy, and uh, I don't people forget about him.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't think anybody's forgetting him.
Speaker 2: But I think we have all taken for granted, just granted there he has done for the Dodgers, even in the postseason, going in anymore because the bullpen wasn't very good, or pitching on three days rest in the postseason, because they had nobody else. Everybody just points to the failures, but don't look at the circumstances.
Speaker 12: You're right, my friend, you are one hundred percent right.
Speaker 3: Let's snack on Kenley Jansen's name too.
Speaker 12: Oh your damn right. And one last thing, you were talking about Mountain.
Speaker 7: Edmund earlier coming back Monday and Tuesdays.
Speaker 12: Don't you think Hayward should be sent down?
Speaker 9: Or I mean, I know you can't be.
Speaker 3: Sent down either.
Speaker 2: You're gonna cut ties with Jason Hayward. And look, he's been on the team for the last year and a half. I just don't see how that would be great just to cut him. It feels like you want to keep the roster depth and PAHs as options. It's not like he's lighting the world on fire. He wasn't playing great defense in center field. He's starting to get better ever since Raoula Banyez was with the team in Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: But look, this is a roster crunch.
Speaker 2: So this is a tough conversation, but obvious to me, the obvious choice it is.
Speaker 12: Okay, Well, thank you DV.
Speaker 1: You have a good night.
Speaker 2: Huh, thank you, Bobby, thanks for calling. That's a good way to end the show. Good call all right, tomorrow Kershaw Day Here in St.
Speaker 3: Lewis.
Speaker 2: Kershaw coming off his first win of the season and his best start of the year in Milwaukee, he is one in two with an ERA at three point fifty, going up against another veteran, crafty righty Sonny Gray, who's eleven and seven this year with an ERA of three ninety three. Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at ten am tomorrow with first pitch at eleven fifteen. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight. Ten Kates will be along tomorrow for Getaway Day, and then I'll rejoin on Monday night from Dodgers Stadium when Justin Turner and the Mariners come to town. And by the way, that'll be the first time Justin Turner has played at Dodgers Stadium not wearing a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 3: It's been a well, i should say, since not wearing a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 2: Last time he played at Dodger Stadium was actually during the twenty twenty two NLBS Game two.
Speaker 3: Against the Padres. Never played another game for the Dodgers after that.
Speaker 2: Retz didn't come to town last year and the Blue Jays did not come to town.
Speaker 3: But since he was created to the Mariners, here we are.
Speaker 2: Justin Turner expected to come back on Monday and hopefully the Dodgers have a classic eighties type montage ready for Justin Turner on Monday Night. All right, thanks calling ye back at our Burbanks Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here in Saint Louis, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 3: In case you missed any of.
Speaker 2: The show or our pregame conversation with veteran Ryan Brazier, you can find it all on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: You can also follow me on social media at the Real.
Speaker 2: Underscore DV and on Instagram at officially bass At once again. The final score from Bush Stadium in Saint Louis. The Cardinals defeat the Dodgers five to two. Have a great rest of your nights.
Speaker 3: See them, y