Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, it is that time. Doctor Webs and I cannot get enough of our little theme opening. It is so jugling, it just makes you on the rock. It is time, always, time to make that change for justice. You are listening to Truth Time with doctor Corna West and Nina trying to recount it all joy per usual that we are all here together today, so much to cover. We got Mayor Bass and acts a curfew. Congresswoman Monica McKeever was hit with federal charges. They're charging her for saying that she assaulted assault chargers. So we'll talk about that. And then you know how this president is using military forces. I mean, it goes on and on, and this is going to continue to be a very big story as we move into Saturday, which is Flag Day, which is President Trump's birthday, and how he's bringing haink seeing and military equipment being flown in from all over the country to the tune of one hundred and well that's forty million dollars, and then what he's doing in California is one hundred and thirty four million dollars. And DoD gotta tell you just reminds me of some of those the authoritarian regimes that we see in places like Russia and China to have this kind of this full display. And as Republicans are being asked about the parade itself, they can barely justify it, especially when you've got a homeless in house population among veterans. So we're bringing this to you because all of this stuff is happening in real time, and Doctor West and I always want to remind you that even though we understand what is happening, we must never lose hope and determination to change things. And so the eruptions that we see, or the use of the First Amendment to assemble and petition one's government, because I don't want to say eruptions, but the bubbling up of people that we see all over the country is really in response to how this government is comporting itself and how people are just fed up, Doc, And they cannot no longer say that this is happening because of one political party or another. I mean, this really has nothing to do with the Democrats. Democrats couldn't pull nothing off like this. If they try. They just ain't got the They ain't got the they ain't got the hooks. But to do it, they ain't got the nerves to do it. I believe that this is truly a bubbling up of people who are disgraced by what they are seeing, and some who also voted for President Trump. They did not vote for this. But here we are, doc you are in the house. What is on your heart, your soul, and your mind on this day one?
Speaker 2: I just love your salute to the Whinings and this magnificent song that's been introducing us now for nearly six months. They represent the best, so much of the best of Detroit, is so much the best of black music and black culture. Because we have to keep our joy, we have to keep our sense of memory, and we have to keep our love and courage under all circumstances.
Speaker 3: Says, yes, circumstance.
Speaker 2: I would go as far even to invoke the fifth Chapter as their Salonians, where my Bible tells me one should be thankful in all circumstances. That's what it means to pray unceasingly, which is to say, that doesn't mean you deny the ugliness, deny the hatred, deny the terrory, deny the trauma. Now it just means you counting your blessings because you glad you still have a self that is struggling, fighting still loving against the hatred, against the oppression, against the trauma, against all the lies, against all the crimes.
Speaker 3: And so when I think of where we are.
Speaker 2: Right now, especially in beloved at Los Angeles, I say to myself, what is it about LA? You know, it was August nineteen sixty five that really turned the corner on the sixties.
Speaker 4: That's Los Angeles. Yeah, Rodney King ninety two, Los Angeles twenty twenty five, that's Lost Angelus.
Speaker 3: And there's so many things in between it.
Speaker 2: Now, somebody grew up in Sacramento, you know, I got a bias toward California. But I've been on the East Coast for fifty years, living in Harlem now for many many years. But LA is still the center of the empire when it comes to keeping track of the new tendencies and development. And I think very much like are witnessing actual genocide and real time in Gaza and not being able to stop it. Right now, we're witnessing the implosion and the explosion of the US Empire, and we're going to see whether we can we can stop it or at least transform it in a much more progressive direction. But when you see Trump just out of control, the gangsterism just running a mark, and it's not just in Los Angeles, La again becomes the center point. But you got what's happening in God's what's happening in Sudan, the military rism all around the world, militarizing that's at home, the corruption of the elites across the board, the helplessness of the citizens, so many young people not able to gain assets to the best of who they are and what has gone into them in terms of their own tradition, in terms of their own history and heritage. It reinforces the worst in human beings, which is always the greed and the hatred, the coward late and it's always the envy and resentment rather than the courage.
Speaker 3: To compassion, the vision, the service to others.
Speaker 2: And highlighting the plight of the least of these, of the vulnerable and the weak, the oppressed, colonized and subjugated. And so where we are now is in so many ways just so undeniable in terms of what is happening before our very eyes. And Saturday is going to be a bigger manifestation of it.
Speaker 1: It really is. Doctor You know if I were one of them, I would just be ashamed of myself. But they are too unaware to be ashamed of turning other Americans against other Americans or against immigrants. Regardless, Let's deal with a border. You know, security, We can deal with all of those things, but you don't have to deal with those things this way. And what President Trump is doing is not making America any more secure. As a matter of fact, it makes us more vulner honerablebleok that that is really what he's wreaking havoc and listening the truth time, doctor Cornell West and even Turner. When we come forward, we will continue. Yeah, do not forget that the four year anniversary for this networks called it the network. This this this magnific sense pro black, pro progressive network that I want to know the brother Tavis Smiley has created, along with the amazing team, about to celebrate four years, Doc, and you are going to be there in the celebration, so will Jesse Jackson Junior is going to be in the house and a whole host of folks celebrating four years of magnificence and four years of bringing the news in a way that very few networks or radio stations will bring it.
Speaker 3: That's the truth.
Speaker 2: And you can see that year after year after year having carriage to speak against the green Sometimes that even includes having to criticize black folk and black leadership.
Speaker 3: But it's in deep black up.
Speaker 2: It has a lot to do with just human beings across the board being in need of critique and correction, in ourselves being open to being critiqued and corrected.
Speaker 1: That is it, and showing lots of love to the two communities in need. The Alta Dina outreach and coverage by far going deep and not allowing anybody to forget the residents of Alta Dina, and they are about four events happening. Please make sure that you go and sign up. And for the Juneteenth celebration, the barbecue part of the celebration, please bring a gift card of any amount if you can, and those gift cards are going to be shared with the residents of Alta Dina who are still suffering. Even though the media is not taught, other media outlets are not talking about it as much, the pain is still there and the promise is still there as well in terms of rebuilding and doctor West again. I gotta give it to brother Tavis and others in the greater community who have come together to make sure that those residents have what they need, their basic necessities, and that they are not forgotten about. So as much as this is about the four year celebration or anniversary of KBLA Talk fifteen eighty, it is as much about giving back to the community as well.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I know they got Brother James Barr been doing the magnificent job keeping track on the ground what's happening, always in touch with the humanity of those precious black folking out to Dina, no matter what the mainstream media has to.
Speaker 1: Say, no matter what they have to say, And that is why it is so important that we have our own media outlets in the tradition of the black press, where oftentimes it is the only place that you can go to get news that is seen through the lens of the black experience. Exactly right, Happy anniversary KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. Bait. We love you. We love you, even you know, putting the little license on that doc. You and I are here, but that love expands beyond us having truth time. So please please please join in and support the network, support the radio station. So doctor the New Jersey Democrat Congresswoman Lamonica McIver was indicted on federal charges. This particular reporting that we've been looking at the news articles with this one in particular coming from CBS News and they're saying that she's being charged with assault on federal law enforcement officers doing a clash. This happened last month. We covered this. Mayor, the mayor of New Jersey was there the Congress. So let me back up. Congress members do have a right to inspect federal facilities or facilities operating under the auspices of the federal government, and they do not have to get the permission of the President to go visit. They are supposed to be allowed in. They don't have to make an appointment. The tensions are so thick that these facilities are not operating the way that they should and congress members are being treated like they just average people off the street. These facilities are not adhering to the rules and what is supposed to happen. So there are about three congress members and then Mayor Roz Baraka was there and the congress members were trying to protect him. People may remember he was arrested. Chargers were filed on him as well. Those charges have subsequently been dropped, but now they are charges against the congresswoman, saying that she assaulted agents of Homeland Security. Now she has come out and says she's to plead not guilty and that this is an overreach by the Trump administration and what they are doing is meant to intimidate her and also send a chilling effect to anybody else that does not have an extra special title. Now the charge is being filed by Hobba, and she is a coach Trump ally, and it's important to understand that she also served as his personal attorney in his New York criminal trial. So you can connect the dots, you can follow the breadcrumbs and ask yourself the question, is this fair or is this political revenge?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thoroughly convinced that it's a mobilizing and weaponizing of the Department of Justice.
Speaker 3: The targets certain folk.
Speaker 2: And I was just with brother Rosborock twice in the last two and a half weeks or so, and I hope he did marvelously yesterday. I still got to check and see in the election running for governor. But he as well as the fellow congress sister were in no way involved in any kind of assault or attack. We've seen the video. You see, it's just all intimidation problem. Brother Tavis's wonderful interview with the mayor this morning. Sister Karen Bass when she talked about in the sixties they had these agent provocateurs who are always embedded within certain contexts and try to get people to douce and say certain things, try to provoke them, try to intimidate them. Well, now with the trumpet, administration seems to have its own networks of various agents of provocation and intimidation, and this is certainly one. I'm glad she has the curt tell the world does she knows she's not guilty. I just hate that she has to go through all of this in the very fact that she's a congresswoman.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, good God Almighty, you know, it's just trying to set people up, at examples, to keep everybody else so fearful and scared and intimidated.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. And even if she prevails, the amount of time actually and money she has to spend money to defend herself. So the interim New Jersey US Attorney Alena Habba because only said her last name at first, I want to put her in context. Is the one that brought these charges against the congresswoman, and she is the one that served as a personal attorney for President Donald J. Trump during his New York trials. Now, certainly not out of the ordinary for a president or political figure to elevate people who have been in their orbit. It's not out of the ordinary. So doctor Weston, I would never say that what is out of the ordinary or no, I won't even say it's out of the ordinary. What should not be accepted for political figures to use their position to seek out revenge in this way against people who may hold different political views. And the reason why I corrected myself, Dot, and we're centering Donald J. Trump for what he's doing right now. He has to be responsible for his actions. But we certainly know throughout the course of American history that both Democrats and Republicans have weaponized their power. And that's why I kind of stepped back, because you and I have never been one of those. It is a systemic failure, it's a human failure, you know, the human need to be puffed up and to seek revenge. And Number two it is absolute power, corrupting, absolutely and that just that expands beyond the Republican side of the political legend.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: I mean, the Democrats have done have their own versions of weaponizing Department of Justice and targeting various people of high quality, tremendous integrity.
Speaker 3: We we know that that's just a fundamentication.
Speaker 2: I won't even get into that when it comes to Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: So we've seen this on both sides.
Speaker 2: Of the political spectrum in terms of political parties. But the thing is that we want to be morally consistent and we want people to know that when people are not guilty, they're not guilty. When people are weaponizing, they're weaponizing no matter who they are, is wrong. It's unjustice and moral and we will not put up with it.
Speaker 1: Not at all. We're going to tell the truth here on truth Time. So to the congresswoman and her team lifting them up. Please, if you have family and friends in New Jersey who maybe even the congresswoman represents, you know you guys, show show some love. If you utilize social media a lot of times, that energy. It might not be anything that you can do as an individual, but collectively we can be prayed up. Collectively, we can send positive energy towards her collectively. There are things that we can do to let the congress Woman know that we know exactly what's going on in this situation and that people are just not gonna stand by and let this happen. For every action, there is an eco and opposite reaction. And I do believe doc And we play this clip all the time a lot of times in the intro outros of our show. You know that really truth crushed down to the earth, it will rise again. It's just a matter of time. Sometimes it rises quickly and sometimes it rises slowly. But make no mistake about it, it will rise again in this moment in our collective American and world history, we'll be exposed for what it is.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. I mean, the flip side of what you did said it is. No lie can live forever, No no set of crimes can remain hidden forever. Soon later.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to come to terms. Put it, God, it not mark what.
Speaker 1: Just so? Shall you read amen to that? Yeah, I'm not just absolutely disgusted by it. I think people should be disgusted by it. We just can't sit back and allow these kinds of things to happen without being discussed by it. So speaking of discussing thing, what also is in connection with us we again as we move into Flag Day on Saturday, President Donald J. Trump's birthday, and how he is utilizing the power of the people again to stoke more fear, to show his authoritarian nature by having all these tanks and military weapons and through are the capital of the United States of America, which is the District of Columbia. Not only is it a total waste of money, doctors, there's a deeper message that President Donald J. Trump is sending, I believe, both internationally and domestically.
Speaker 2: And part of the message that Trump doesn't even realize he's sending is his conception of greatness has ninety eight percent to do with military might and ain't got duly squat to do with moral substance. And if all you can depend on is your military might, then it's clear that your empire is falling. Because if you don't have spirit, if you don't have if you don't have spirituality, if you don't have legitimacy, then all you can fall is brute force and raw power, and raw power never ever is enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has. It has its limits, even though it doesn't feel that way in the moment. You're listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. When we come forward, will continue to talk about what is happening in la across this country and the impact that it has on all of us. Indeed, and we are back, how do we keep our joy in the face of all that is happening in our nation and in our world. We're keeping you up to data and sharing our thoughts about what is happening, the authoritarian nature of what President Donald Drake Trump is doing, how it is impact in both us individually and also collectively, how the chilling effects of absolute power are used against citizens, even those with extra special titles. Docet. It just so aproposed that we always wrap up by saying titles are good, but purpose is better, because we're seeing that this president is coming after people who have some of the highest titles in the country that cannot shield them from him really being a bully and his ego. It's just all over the place. I mean, he's worse than a toddler, and that's an insult to toddlers. Let me just back up and say to all the toddlers of the world, I mean no harm. Me I ain't mean no harm, but this, this is serious. In this wake up call, I hope that as people are waking up to this brute in our face forced that we understand collectively that there always been flashpoints in the history of this country where some president has comported themselves, maybe not exactly this way, but certain has abused power to uh to to to cause people to have fear. I mean, even when I think about the Iraqi War and some of the tactics that were used against people who wanted peace, and I think it was a congresswoman was it, Congresswoman Bass At the time, only one congress person, guess voted against it. I remember when the Dixie Chicks UH, a female singing group, spoke out against it and their their their sales, their concert attendance, the sales of their songs went down. People called them traders and all manner called them women everything but y'ad of God because they had a courage of foresight. And now turns out that they were absolutely right. So again, I mean, do we can give I don't know what other examples come to mind. We're sharing is just to say, even though this moment is troubling and heavy, it is not the only time in our country's recent and especially past history where intimidation and political power and brute force. Don't get us started about talking about the nineteen fifties and the sixties, because any black folks raise up to fight for liberation, we were always met with government force every time.
Speaker 2: Every time and co and tell probe meant that they were willing to send some bullets targeting some of our beloved folks. And so it's very clear that that kind of repression goes hand in hand with the history of the country. So we shouldn't be surprised by these contemporary forms of repression to take the form of intimidation and provacation, manipulation and lives and of course, in the end just vicious physical attacks as well.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that those will escalate definitely.
Speaker 2: But you know, the thing I think it's also important to keep in mind we think of where we are presently, is that there is a consistent and constant cloud of witnesses who are willing to pay the price and bear the burden and tell the truth and seek the justice and the zero in on their work, their witness, their service, their willingness to sacrifice more than any time.
Speaker 3: We need to zero in them. We really do, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: And there's some incredible folks out there. Even in the face of all this, even Congressom of Lamonica, knowing full well what could happen, you have people who have taken to the streets and they're doing so peaceably, knowing that there could be a consequence. For we certainly have seen footage of police. Unfortunately, you know, they carried a militarization spirit as well. Doesn't have to be military force to have a mentality of shooting rubber bullets and all that kind of stuff. But people are still out there lifting their voices and talking about making it clear that what is happening in this country right now is wrong. I want to go to our chat on the tube. Doctor. We got b bel of bad dog Bullies, lunch and liberation time. Good afternoon, Truth Warriors, Good afternoon, b BL, blessed peace, Baker in the house. Greetings and much love warriors. Selena Rix, where you've been, Sister Selena. I haven't seen sister Selena in our chat doc. We missed her. So glad that she is back. Bravo. It's truth time. Amen, exclamation point, hand clap emojis and the prayer emoji. We glad to have you back in the house. Is Andrea g Good afternoon. It is vital to stay spiritual aligned, especially these days.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. In times like these, we all need an anchor. You got to be sure, very very very sure that your anchor holds.
Speaker 1: That's it. If it don't hold, it ain't much of an anchor, ain't lying. Yeah, yeah, yeah, we gotta do that. We have and so Selena and so the community. They talk back and forth to each other, which I think is a beautiful thing. And then since the Selena further right rights calling on our ancestors for strength for the fight. Amen.
Speaker 3: Yes, no, that's that's a profound insight.
Speaker 1: It is the past, the president, and the future. God knows we need those ancestors. Stan Williams in the house. We have to create good trouble.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: That was a famous quote by congress Woman, I mean Congressman John Lewis making good trouble. We have to create good trouble. If our ancestors didn't fight, we still be in bondage. We still be dealing with Jim and Jane Crow. We still not have the franchise or franchiseman. So Brother Stan is absolutely right. We have we can't lose sight of in the current day fight the battles that we have won. But the thing is that this is the thing we can't gets so comfortable thinking that, the fact the past battles that we have won, they're never always fever because there's always gonna be the opposite force trying to pull us back. And we're seeing that right now.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Angela David said, freedom is an endless struggle the moments of liberation, but freedom is an in list struggle.
Speaker 3: She's absolutely right about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amen. And then a local pastor here he's emeritis now a Reverend ODIs Moss Junior. And I think Reverend oldis moster third, he's a preacher now to forget it what Citi's in. But yeah, where's where's he?
Speaker 5: Doc?
Speaker 3: Is that Trinity Church's at Dremiah Rights Old Church, Okay, old House brother.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well his dad, you know, yeah here here in Cleveland. And Reverend Oldest Moss Jr. Has Has a saying I think it goes something like the struggle is forever, so we are forever in the struggle.
Speaker 2: Oh, good God of money, what a giant he is the oldest Moss Jr.
Speaker 3: Is still going at all? Is it Mount Olive?
Speaker 1: Mount olivet Institutional that church? Yes, we are forever in the struggle. The struggle is forever, so we are forever in the struggle. So so profound, and I totally agree. We got Jesse Paris a kha Nakoume peace and much loved after Cornell West and Senator Nina Turner from Denver, Colorado. We are sending that piece right back to you. We have. I think that's Ed Marie. My apologies if I'm mispronounced your first name. What actions are folks demanding and demonstrating? That is such a good question. The people are demanding that, and they're out there. I don't know if if you mean in this moment, but people are demanding fairness under the law. They're demanding that this president stopped, you know, using the power that he has and weaponizing and against the American people. And they're out there in the streets. I think certainly people like Governor Knew, some who I don't always agree with, but filed a lawsuit against Trump administration and other things. So every day people are out there in the streets, and some elected officials are trying out trying to figure out how through the legal system to be able to push back on what President Donald J. Trump is doing. You're listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West, They Needa Turner. When we come forward, we will continue this discussion. Yes you are, and we are so glad you are not going to go deeper into what system. Marie uh In asking and have your response to it. When she asked what actions are folks demanding and demonstrating, she goes on to say, we can't wait for history.
Speaker 2: M M lord, lord, and I think we got to look at our brothers and sisters industry who are trying to bear witness to a sense of fairness and justice that's required for our precious immigrant brothers and sisters and siblings. On two levels. One is the question of humane treatment. Now, human is not a specific policy. It is a recognition of the dignity and sanctity of each human person.
Speaker 3: And if you.
Speaker 2: Vilify and demonize immigrants, of black people, of brown people, are anybody Palestinian Jews whoever it is is wrong. And the tone and the timber of what's coming out of the gangsterized White house is one that has little to do with the dignity and sanctity of immigrants. It's hateful, it's vengeful, it's hostile, and it's inhumane before you even get to the.
Speaker 1: Policy, yes, sir, and it does nothing to keep us safe. It has nothing to do with the border.
Speaker 2: And then the policy, you see, is a different thing. And this is where the debate takes place. How do you translate that humane treatment in the way that you steal acknowledge, you know, the need for borders to be in place, the need for treating citizens who have been here for a long time fairly so that the resources are not taken from them. This is a lot of black folk think, well, what resource is going to be taken from black folk and given to the new immigrants? And therefore you pit these various folk fighting for crumbs against each other. So that's a different kind of discussion. But we got to keep both levels operative because you see, once you just allow hatred to run a monk, I think that sooner or later it's not going to be on its way to your house.
Speaker 1: That's it. We're linked, I mean instricably linked, whether we like it or not, and recognize it in real time. So I really think Sister Edie Marie for posing those that Sister Rebecca in the house, she writes Mayor Karen Bass needs to be held accountable for LAPD shooting on peaceful protesters and journalists tear gas and rubber bullets. LAPD should be protecting people of la and not ice.
Speaker 2: So e re elected official must be accountable. There's no doubt about that. There's no doubt about that very much so. And I mean LAPD has a long history of being out of control, especially when it comes to black folks.
Speaker 3: There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 2: And I don't think we could ever expect one mayor even our dear black sister Karen as mayor, to be able to fundamentally reshape and control every policeman. But if a policeman is out of control, he or she must be accountable, and it is the role of the mayor to make sure that those police are accountable.
Speaker 3: Very much so. That's true.
Speaker 1: Accountability breeds trust or brings about trusts, and when people feel like any force, especially a law enforcement force, are treating people unfairly, then it breeds this trust and resentment too, a law of resentment. So the footage I saw was not happy about at all. And your point about how this mayor cannot do it alone, it's a both and it's not an either or. But sister Rebecca, we hear you hear clearly that should not be happening. And there have been some in the law enforcement community have been clear that they're not going to turn on their federal citizens in the way that the President of the United States is stoking them to do so. So we got to remember people in suits are sending law enforcement out to do what they're doing. You're listening to Truth Time, doctor Cordonell West and Nina Turner. When we return, will continue this conversation.