Speaker 1: What is a window something you use to look through a brick wall with? Correct? Play that man eight dollars.
Speaker 2: What letters in the alphabet come after A or them?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 3: Pay that man nine dollars.
Speaker 1: Because it pays to be ignorant.
Speaker 4: As living proof toward you service men and women listening in over there, that it does pay to be ignorant. Here's another half hour with radio's biggest collection of Zany's, the incomparable wits George Shelton, Lola McConnell and Harry McNaughton, our doctor of music Nat Novic, and the man who sticks his neck out every week at.
Speaker 1: This time, our moderator, Tom Howard, God the evening Lady.
Speaker 2: Don gentlemen, Yes, we are here again with that quiz program known as Idiot's Delight, with a bartererbacks vers who are so dumb they think an autobiography is something with four wheels. We have the celebrated author mister Hyi McNaughton, who was just written a book entitled Sightseeing in Berlin or hal Hal The Gang's all gone but.
Speaker 1: Here he is. Mister Hi McNaughton, Thank you. I have a poem, mister Howe, I know I draw the line at kissing, she said, inn X and spine.
Speaker 5: But he was a football hero, so of course he crossed the line by he made a touchdown.
Speaker 1: All right, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Next, we have a woman who, when she wears a fur piece, looks like she's carrying a litter of pups.
Speaker 1: Around her neck. A woman who always.
Speaker 2: War slacks until she saw herself in her rear view mirror. Here she is a honeydew melon with legs.
Speaker 1: Miss Lolomagata, you know this hard.
Speaker 6: I gave five hundred pounds of paper to the paper drive today.
Speaker 2: Well that's fine, I'm glad you save it.
Speaker 1: Oh. I save everything. I even save matches. You save matches. Yeah, but I have an awful gas bill. You know, there's the matches.
Speaker 6: I have to keep the gas birting all day.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: That's annoying, that's not you see what I mean?
Speaker 1: Folks? All right? Nice? You have a man who went a boy.
Speaker 2: Lived in the street at the head of the block, and he's been a blockhead ever since.
Speaker 1: A man, so he nimmy looking.
Speaker 2: If he ever fall asleep in a tuxied to suit.
Speaker 1: They'd bury him there.
Speaker 2: He is mister George good to his mother's shelf. Should I tell you about my uncle WebBook up on his farmer's coward.
Speaker 1: Now you know his wife left him and he feels pretty bad about it. I imagine you know since she left he can't sleep a wink. He can't sleep a wink. She took the mattress with her. Oh shed her mind over metriss mind over matt he would spring there? Oh kind of you just met the.
Speaker 2: Experts, folks. Two blanks and a dog. Now here's the first question.
Speaker 1: Bought a nice program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to have you answered if you can. Here's the question in the nursery rhyme, Tom Tom the Piper's son, stole a pig and away ron.
Speaker 1: What was it that Tom stole? Did you say, Tom Tom the piper sun? That's right, But that's an Indian drum, isn't it? Watson? Indian drum? But Tom Tom? You know the Indian plase kiss McNaughton. If I had your.
Speaker 2: Head, i'd turn it in as waist fat. I know that, but I don't you get two points for it.
Speaker 1: It's four points now when it gets the sixth sounds not plase. The question is Tom Tom the Piper's son Now plase. What was stolen?
Speaker 2: Miss mcgaud Do you know what the piper son stole?
Speaker 1: No, mister Hard, No, you're having out of town for a few days. I'm sorry. When when was it? Missed?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Boy? That is I mean when was it last scene? And with whom? When was what last seed?
Speaker 2: Whatever you're looking for, I'm not looking for anything.
Speaker 1: Then how do you expect to fund play? Miss mcnatan. If you had another brain, you'd have one. Think.
Speaker 2: Look, I'll make it very simple for you, very simple. A fight for sun stole a pig? Now what did he steal?
Speaker 1: What do you want with the whole pig?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: He was just trying to make a hog of himself. How do they know he's stolen? The pig squealed on him? Got it worse? Are you sure that the squilled on it? Well, we'll have to take it for grunted? I forgot, mister Sheldon. Will you stop making a bore of yourself? The question? The question is about a pig, mister Hard. How old was the peak? How old? Well? I would say about what are.
Speaker 3: You than me?
Speaker 1: For? So? You know? You know, mister how the Trenton's fair several weeks ago I saw a pig.
Speaker 2: With red ribbon around his neck. Must have been a pig star a pink sky. That's pretty weak, mister Sheldon.
Speaker 1: What cut it?
Speaker 5: Eye?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 1: You know what's how I went through the book on pigs?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I wrote it under the name of Fountain. You are a book on pig. He's under the name of Fountain. What do you see fountain with my pen? Name was clear up?
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 3: Later again, let's lak.
Speaker 1: One. They do another? Thank God?
Speaker 3: Can you imagine that they all stand nothing?
Speaker 2: Take a bow or standing of that guy thinks he's Stokowsky or somebody. That music reminds me of a night the Turkish Bath. That's all went.
Speaker 1: Let's get on there.
Speaker 2: Here's the next question. I do hope I'll get an answer to it.
Speaker 1: So do I thank you? I know I'm just being an optimist. Yeah, did you say optimists? Yeah, that's one of those big fishes with eight arms. That's anocho pus you what? Oh? No, I make you different, boy. An octopus is a man who examine your eyes.
Speaker 2: I see, nice to make God for your information. That's an ocula.
Speaker 1: Don't be silly inocular. This is a poisoner. Always looks on the bright side of things.
Speaker 2: That's monochness, which brings me back to myself again.
Speaker 1: Must be very monotonous. Okay, I'll let's get on with a question yet? Yes, what was the question?
Speaker 7: Is a hog?
Speaker 1: Who's now tom COM's pig? Oh? Yeah, that's why we haven't found the pig yet. You'll pass the pig I did. Why Why do you walk so slowly? Because are you ready for the question?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 1: Yes? Are you ready for the question? Is maccono? No, that's why my life's a little lipstick on my lips? Pretty up? Yeah, I can't wait. You find your lips? Knock? Come on, shut up.
Speaker 2: You all just started toothpaste.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Here is a question what kind of work is done? What kind of work is done?
Speaker 2: And the cleaning, pressing and dying establishment.
Speaker 1: You know, it's fun of that you. She ask that.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping a friend of mine out right now and he runs it cleaning and dying establishment.
Speaker 1: You're helping him? What are you doing? I'm dying? You're what I said I was. You don't look sick. No, I'm not sick. If I was sick, I couldn't die now now, yes, a minute, if you were sick, you couldn't die. No, suppose you had some sort of ailment that proved fatal. Oh, then i'd be dead. Well when you die, ain't you dance? If I was good? Hope caill I die?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 8: Yell?
Speaker 1: Tell me? What are you dying for? I'm dying for a little Oh? Oh, I see you mean you get paid for dyeing? Certainly you don't think I'm gonna die for nothing?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: How does he get paid for dying? Thirty bucks a week? What do you want to die so cheap for? Or some weeks if I make more? Oh? How do you make more? I die over time? Hey? Do you please stop it? I say, tell me, tell me something, mister Shelsan, How do you die over time?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: Some night the boss comes down. He looks at the cock, and he says, George, go out and get your lunch and come back. I gotta die at eleven o'clock. Can oh tells you that? Stama, I'm dying for you. See, you're not dying for myself? Or you're not. You're not dying for yourself. We're dying for I'm dying for another fellow. Another fellow was the matter with him. Can't he die? Oh sure, but he don't have to die now. He used to die. He used to die. Hey, he died three years ago. He died three years ago. Then you're not working for him anymore, certainly I am. How can you be working form of he died three years ago? Well, he quit dying. Y quit dying. He died three years ago. He had a quit. Oh not necessarily, he died three years ago. That had a mean he's forgotten how to die. Oh o, hey, you know, tell me something with the shelf. And if you died last week, could you die again next week? If I'm living, I'm.
Speaker 2: And now we come to our contestants, mister Robinson, getting the folks up here. We turned to our august An Agser, who knows so much about music. They think Wagner was just a baseball player, an Augustor who years ago used to play along the curb.
Speaker 1: And they've been in the gutter ever since. Here they are doctor Novich and.
Speaker 2: His gutter snipes. S.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: Ill lot of that, sober I can take the cotton out of my ears. Who was our first contestant's evening, mister Roberts.
Speaker 4: Our first guest was how is Sergeant Bill Cano of the United States Army.
Speaker 2: Bye, good evening, Sergeant Canaba, and welcome to our program.
Speaker 1: How do you feel, sergeant just by? H Well, that's fine. Where's your hometown? With your care to tell us Red Bank? Brett Banks for Jersey? Got all that Brett Bank, New Jersey. We'll spray me with deep d T and pour me itchy. Yeah, why are you? Why are you st walking that?
Speaker 3: Carol?
Speaker 1: Now this is getting tired. So I was a doctor in a soda fountain. You you want to you were a doctor at a soda fountain. Yeah, it was a frizz Ain't that awful? Saysation? Have you ansked me? You were a jerky always Bill Little. I'm sorry for the interruption, Sagan. How long have you been in service? Fifty four months? Fiftyfar mob herey three years? Yeah, that's the thirty three year. Yeah, I'm quick. I'm figuring you certainly are do you expect to be out?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I'm mad am myself.
Speaker 1: I see you have a discharge, Evelyn. There is that right? This charge two days ago? Oh five? Then you're out? Huh?
Speaker 4: How much I.
Speaker 1: You know? You know? Sargeant Calavo during the last four I was in the intelligence.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, you were in intelligence and this I gotta here.
Speaker 1: What what did you do in intelligence? I was a rookie tester. Rookie tester. Yes. If they found the rookie dumber than me, they just charged him. Yeah, no, I know.
Speaker 2: We have such a large army. Now what did you What did you do before you entered the service?
Speaker 5: If you paper between visiting cars, I'm not talking to you.
Speaker 1: He used to partition paper may paid a visiting cards.
Speaker 2: Why did you say you're dog Bell?
Speaker 1: You are a musician? Why that's a novelly on this pres It certainly is.
Speaker 2: Before you came up this evening. Did you ever hear our orchestra play?
Speaker 1: Well, kind of remotely, that's how you should hear it.
Speaker 2: Tell me, well, you being a musician, tell me I'd like to know this.
Speaker 1: What do you think of our orchestra?
Speaker 2: They pay pretty fine, they play pretty fine, and you're a musician.
Speaker 1: Well, I could be wrong. Well, we are indeed very glad to have you with us this evening. Yeah, we sure are. What's your first name, honey? What Bill? Bill? Bill? Bill?
Speaker 7: Isn't that a cute names?
Speaker 1: Bill? Oh yeah, kids, you a nice yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, honey, you can play in my band any old time and you won't have to play second, said leader.
Speaker 1: Sugar. You could just tell me Bomber.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm a regularly cut of Asian and you're getting everybody's hair, love sig.
Speaker 1: And when you reach into the Dutch captain, pick out.
Speaker 2: A question for us, please, And when you get one, would you be kind enough to read it right in the microphone if you don't mind.
Speaker 4: What railroad is mentioned in the song on the Atchison Topeka and Santa Face.
Speaker 2: What is the name of the railroad mentioned in the song on the Adjison Topeko and the Sannah Fae?
Speaker 1: So how do you have to get two out of three on this one? What do you mean two out of three?
Speaker 5: There's only one railroad mentioned in the song, only one. I'm I'm sure I heard three?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure I heard three. Would you mind repeating the question? What is the name of the railroad mentioned in the song on the Adchison Topeko and the Santah Faith? There is three? Now I paid close attention that time. You did. You said three? You said Anderson tappan Yocre and Alice free. That's that's what I said. You know, that's exactly what. But I don't recall the tapiocre. No, I was just putting that in. You were putting on maybe in a three song. I didn't mention free song.
Speaker 6: So you have to shove my head.
Speaker 1: Off to you one head. Look. I'll repeat the quest again.
Speaker 2: Motrail Road is mentioned in the song The Adjacent to beg in the Santa Pepe Hey you are he said it again, three railroads, mister mcnothe You must have studied.
Speaker 1: A long time to be so stupid. I didn't study at all. It's it's a gift. It's a gift. It's a gift. I say.
Speaker 6: I got a gift for my own man today, a beautiful hook rug.
Speaker 1: Where'd you get it? He hooked it?
Speaker 2: No, I bought my girl a gift today, a turtle next sweater. And when I got home, what do you think she didn't have a toytle. I'm sure I have asked motle if she had a toytle. Yeah, I wish now I had a border of biflet.
Speaker 1: Well, you let us get out of this hurdle. Yoh, got my page? Get back to the You know I have to buy my wife a birthday gift next week, But I really don't know what together. Some handkerchiefs, well, I would, but I don't know the size of a nose.
Speaker 6: My old man gave me four fans of pearls for my birthday.
Speaker 1: Any fource fans of pearls? Yeah, one for every chin.
Speaker 6: You're skiddy, old rip. Every time I look at you, I feel like saying.
Speaker 1: Is there a doctor in the house?
Speaker 2: I say, thank you.
Speaker 1: And the question is not about gifts. It's about a railroad.
Speaker 2: Railroad, That's what I want you to tell me. Haven't you ever heard the song The adgeson Topeka and the Sand of Pacee.
Speaker 1: Where's a song gonna do with it? Listen a question about a railroad or a song? Make up your mind? What are you trying to do?
Speaker 2: Throw a red herring across our path? If I had a red harry, I'd throw it across your face. If I had a red herring, I'd eat his head, very.
Speaker 1: Delicious, No little lemon, tart of sauce and toasted. Oh you should have seen the fish I caught last Sunday. Really, what was the name of it?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I called it O'Sullivan. You called the fish O'Sullivan. It was a number one eel heel.
Speaker 2: I see no my own man say anything, No, no, no you I think he used the wrong fait on that gang.
Speaker 1: What do you say?
Speaker 3: My own man's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my own mad gooys fishing son, and he's taking me with us. He is, well, he'll need better bait than that.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm speaking about fishing. My sister caught a big fish last summer. Yeah, she called a big fish. He's my brother in law.
Speaker 1: Now, charming fellow. He is too, has small eyes, no ambition love, gentlemen. Excuse me for calling you gentlemen. I'm trying to get the name of a railroad. Why where do you want to go? I don't want to go anywhere. What you want with a railroad? Johnny be what a fight?
Speaker 2: Get back the back door. The merry went always in bad shape of knight.
Speaker 7: Got a god yes, y.
Speaker 1: Y ye, like a hurricane boy, not a concession.
Speaker 4: Please, a young lady, I know you're very happy to meet mister Howard. Sergeant you're a Lloyd of the Women's Army Corps.
Speaker 1: Thank you, and got into Miss Lyd and welcome to it paces me rather welcome, Miss Lloyd. How do you do charming? Yes, man lovely? Yeah, miss Lloyd. I saw your picture, you know, Lloyd's of London. I know a Sisney seller, Lloyd chous. Pay no attention to the mis Lloyd. We're gonna feed them in a minute. How do you feel this evening? I feel very fine? Well, you certainly do.
Speaker 2: Look at I must say, where's your hometown? With your care to tell us?
Speaker 1: Tennessee? Chananooga, Tennessee? My word, what a coincidence. I used to live in that town. You know you did?
Speaker 5: I lived there when I was a barefoot boy. I just went back there last month. Why did you go back to get my shoes down?
Speaker 1: I saw the man on the corner.
Speaker 2: All right, even with your shoes, you haven't improved your status, honey, he hasn't improved this What you wouldn't understand such things?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I would? You can tell me, mister Howard. I know all about the Boyds, and.
Speaker 7: The bees have a mine.
Speaker 1: They don't tell some of the missa, what are you doing here in New York? I'm stationed here all you're working here? How long you been here? Two and a half years? Oh, two and a half years?
Speaker 2: That I guess you've seen quite a lot of our city quite a bit. How do you like it?
Speaker 5: Very much?
Speaker 1: Well, that's fine doing anything tonight. I am mister Shelton, very very charming lady.
Speaker 5: You know, I'll say, lovely eyes and hair cutest can be very beautiful.
Speaker 1: I like for immensely. I mean that very charming piece of brick up brack. I'd said, say, would you mind tell me? Why would you mind telling me?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: You too?
Speaker 1: Are mumbling about it from little ree?
Speaker 7: All right?
Speaker 1: Where your button? I'm sorry for this, young dumb cluck. All right, I'm sorry for you, missus Lloyd. Are you married?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I see now you're having a good time in New York, a very good time.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: Then your husband is not with you?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: But how I look at that uniform?
Speaker 2: Are you looking at that uniform like an elephant and a revolving door?
Speaker 1: That's that's what express you have on this? Forcconnor you like it? I wear this just the cheese? Uh huh? That's your age. Who are you going to tease? Your reason? The dust gotamping out a quite as far as please?
Speaker 2: And would you kindly read the question, miss Lloyd?
Speaker 1: Just take your time what color is a blue serge suit? Thank you? No help from the audience? What color is a blue scard suit? But what size is the suit?
Speaker 2: I expect that that the size doesn't make any difference.
Speaker 8: Mister how that's a serious remark. I think I have a hot me. The size doesn't make any different Why do you think they have to try and shoot on? Why are you they have a suit? Also answer me that e's a can which I doubt. If you ask me what you might ah play?
Speaker 2: I said, yellum, did you ever win a prize for being stupid?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But I'm not. I put it my pry. I bet you're good without trying. The question is what color is a blue search suit? Do you know? Miss Waccono, I might? What do you mean you might?
Speaker 2: If you can answer the question, why don't you raise your head? I can't my girdles two type, I say, I haven't got a two way stretch.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get on there. You know what color blue search suit is?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: Single breasted or double?
Speaker 1: That does? I'm mag an ay devis. I'm not talking about the style. I'm all about the color. Speaking of suits, you know, it reminds me I'm just got a new dress suit. Do you think I look good? Entails? It's a how why not your ancestors? Did you know? I went into a storty day.
Speaker 5: I sent to the salesman, I'd like to see something cheap in the suit, and he says, certainly, look right in this mirror.
Speaker 1: That is a bad looking suit you have on nomatter Sheldon doesn't wear well or wears all right. Of course, all pants wear out in the end. In the end. Wow, that's probably the sheet of your trouble. Yeah, that's the seed. Take tell me, mister mcgartan, why would you rather have a wife or a pair of pants? Or a pair of pants? You can go any place without a wife.
Speaker 6: My own man's always getting starred me for taking spots out.
Speaker 1: Of his suits. Why why should he get soft? You're taking spots out of his suits?
Speaker 2: They're ten spots now I plays answer the question what colors a blue side suit?
Speaker 6: I read in the paper while they're making the women's just as out of glass.
Speaker 1: Really, I'll have to look into that. Where did you look at that thresh you'll have on? I made myself.
Speaker 2: Don't you think it matches my face?
Speaker 1: Yes? I know? He since the Cardine played it. You should talk, you asked the bill. All you buy all your suits with building chess? Thank you, miss macconnell nicely. I think you look nice in that dress. Thank you. I think your nice messus well, thank you.
Speaker 2: These are my glad rags, Yes, glad rags on a sad sack.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I went shopping yesterday and I was in the quandary quardry. What kind of a car is that? Yeah? You see, I went into a store on Fifth having you to buy a suit, but the salesman didn't have anything I like, so he said, would you.
Speaker 5: Like to try on that suit in the window? I said, my word, wouldn't draw a bit of a cloudy?
Speaker 1: He said, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, I see miss lazy telling me all my time is up, so we'll just have to call it off until this time next week. Now here is that young man with a voice like a nineteen ten match Well to tell you.
Speaker 1: What we mean when we say it pay to be ignorin, to be dumb, to be don to be paid to be ignoring.
Speaker 2: Just like me.
Speaker 1: When I was just a school kid, I wasn't off flee by. I had a fruzy teach you who maybe day sign off be with us again next week.
Speaker 4: And here it proven again by Tom Howard, Lodol, McConnell's, George Shelton.
Speaker 1: And Harry McNaughton that it pays to be ignorant. Then Roberts, thinking this is the Armed Forces Radio Service,