Speaker 1: Joe Escalante live from Hollywood, Not really Hollywood. We're in Burbank and I'm not really Joe Escalante. I'm producer Sam. I'm Engineer Sam, and I have producer Nicki here with me.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Nicky, Hi, I'm good, producer Sam. This is engineer NICKI. Good to see you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we're both feeling a little bit off today, but yeah, this is where you go and dig into the business end of showbiz. Joe Escalante is not quite here right now, but we do have him popping in a little bit later on. We're going to be playing that interview he did with the crew from Kneecap again. That was such a good interview and that is such a good movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually I caught up on the episode yesterday to hear how the interview went, and it was so cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, first off, the guys from Kneecap are great. They are.
Speaker 1: It's such a interesting topic that really nobody's ever really shed any light on. And you, the guys themselves are so cool to talk to that it makes it so that when you see the movie and you talk to them individually, you're like, Okay, yeah, no, this is you guys are built for this. These guys should be doing more than just making music. They need they need to be doing more acting gigs. They need more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was killer.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're going to get to that in the next segment and we're going to you can hear about that interview all over again. But right now, there's a couple of stories going on in Hollywood. One big one that we're talking about we're keeping our eyes on because it's an ever evolving story is stuff with ai and oh the open ai chat ept and all of that stuff. YouTubers are now getting a little bit upset about it, and they're filing a lawsuit against the creators of open Ai specifically because of them. I guess they created some kind of program or bought into some kind of program that skims through videos that are on YouTube for training models. I guess, Nikki, you know a lot more about the story. I read up on it, but you've got your fingers in this one. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean I love following all the stories that have to deal with open ai and all of the kind of gray areas that they operate in try to get as much user data as possible to train their models to be as good as possible too, but of course that does come at the expense of people who are creating content for the Internet for free. Like basically this is either their job or their hobby, and now open ai is basically making a product that profits from their output. So what's going on here is that a YouTuber, David Millett, has sued open ai because his videos, along with tons of other YouTubers, were scrubbed by a tool created by open ai called whisper. Basically what happened is open ai has already scrubbed millions of things from the Internet for text based content. So anything that's ever been written online, any history book or website or blog or recipe, open AI's kind of already got that that never you ask chat GPT or written question, it can respond pretty well. But something that open ai has been doing recently is moving on to the next generation of chat GPT, which is a voice model. If you pay twenty bucks a month to chat GPT, you can get a version of it that talks to you a bit like the girl in the movie Her, kind of the character that exists on the phone that has a personality and a voice and even vocal quirks. A friend of mine has this version of chat GPT, and what he'll do is he'll talk to it, ask it to do different accents, different tones of voice. Even one time he asked it to do a stutter while explaining the concept of wild people like or why people stutter, which was hilarious and also super interesting that it knew what to do? You this fake voice, right, But of course, oh yeah, no, all of it. It's really interesting and it's worth giving it a try because it is super interesting. But of course it comes from vocal data that's being collected through scanning the Internet for these video clips of people speaking. And what this means is that open ai now has access to tons of recordings of people's voices that they did not initially consent to give to open ai as a company. And people are arguing that this is also violating California's unfair competition laws, basically meaning that the business practice of open ai is unlawful or unfair to the people that it's kind of dealing with. In this case, it would be YouTubers, meaning that it's violating YouTube's terms of service, which is that you know, other companies cannot really profit from the content that YouTube is creating that is created to post to YouTube. But that claim was actually dismissed in July, on July thirtieth. That was a different type of approach to it in this case. Now, I think the lawsuit is being used as a complaint from YouTube basically that this is violating its terms of service because it's being used. All these content is being used for independent applications such as CATCHYBT.
Speaker 1: Now, this is what I'm curious about. So it's not so much like they're not stealing the content, they're not getting the information from it. They're trying to see what vocal patterns they can draw from it and speech patterns from different YouTube hosts and presenters.
Speaker 4: It's not so much like this.
Speaker 3: It's a little bit unclear because I think part of it, I think part of it too, is it's like it's not necessarily the content in that Let's say it's a cooking video, right, They're not stealing, they're not maybe skimming or the recipe, but they are going to be skimming for the dialect, for the accent, for the who the voice is coming from, the age of the person. So it's not the content information wise of the video, but it's definitely the person that's speaking in the video. So I guess if that's part of someone's business, like it's not just a recipe page on YouTube, but it's their recipes from this background or this part of the country, or it's like a woman or a man or someone else who is doing this and that's part of their business model. In a way, it is taking part of that content because it is training based on the persona of the person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I can see where if it's like taking like say, you know, you read read me Warren Peace, but have it done by Uncle Roger from YouTube, then that that would be I could see that being problematic because it's like you're actually sampling a human you know who that is identifiable. But if it's just looking for speech patterns to like say like, for example, have have a Southern Valley girl read me you know a.
Speaker 5: Book on.
Speaker 1: Cooking pizza, you know, like it's going to look for speech patterns and how people communicate with each other, but not so much skimming it like how they did with the books and all of the other stuff where it's actually getting content.
Speaker 3: That's true too, But let's imagine that there is a southern California YouTuber who specializes in making pizza. Now, how similar is I don't really know how the algorithm is going to work internally for chatchept, but what are the odds that that persona that comes on is insanely similar to the persona of the person who is making that content on YouTube? I mean, who's to argue that the likeness is too similar. I'm not familiar with the laws and regulations that are kind of protecting chatchept from resembling someone too much in their affect.
Speaker 1: Well, Dave had we had this case. I think it was Gwyneth Paltrow. Wasn't it was?
Speaker 3: Was it? No?
Speaker 1: It was Scarlett Johansson, the voice of her from the movie Her sued them because they were almost like they were posting on Twitter and all that stuff about how yeah, this is now her and it was basically sounding identical to Scarlett Johansson's voice, and she ended up suing them because of that.
Speaker 2: Do you know if she won her if that's not long ago she.
Speaker 1: Did, I think that I'm not sure if that's still ongoing. We were definitely talking about it. I think Joe would remember that one and we'll look into it. So in the a little bit later on the show, we'll give you that information to find out exactly where that goes. But yeah, we're a little bit low on time in this segment, so we got to cut it short. But we're going to be right back. We're going to actually be back next segment. Let's talk. Let's hear from Joe and the crew from Kneecap, because that sounds like it and we heard we heard that interview last week and it was so nice. We're going to play it twice, all right, All right, back, Let's let's take a commercial break real quick and back with more on Live from Hollywood after Traffic Joe Escalante live from Hollywood, not Hollywood. We are just over the hill from Hollywood and Burbank. I'm engineer Sam, got producer Nikki here with me.
Speaker 4: We are back.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for joining us on heeib AM eleven fifty and on your iHeartRadio app worldwide on the iHeartRadio app. So, Joe last week got a chance to interview the cast and crew from the movie Kneecap, and we both saw this and this is an incredible movie. Nikki give people kind of the rundown on the movie, and we're going to jump right into this interview with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kneecap was one of the better films I've seen maybe in my life, definitely this year, and it follows the story of two kind of delinquent rappers in Ireland, part of the c Fire generation, who learned to speak Irish from one of their fathers who was kind of a political leader and is currently in hiding, so they continue to speak Irish as part of like a like traditional Bailic exactly, Yeah, part of the rebellion against the system that they currently live in, and they cross paths with a music teacher who teaches at a local high school. They kind of come together and form this rap group called Kneecap in reference to some of the things that happened during the troubles in Ireland, and it follows their story as they sort of fight the power, grow as individuals and use their music to progress their ideals about what Ireland ought to be in kind of the modern age. What's the most amazing part is that the musicians play themselves in the film and they are incredible actors, So it's really fantastic to see this story take shape through the people who actually went through it themselves. Yeah, I highly recommend it. And we've got really lucky that Joe got to have an amazing interview with rich Pepiot, the director, as well as two of the musicians.
Speaker 2: So give it a listen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, here's Jill with the crew from NAP.
Speaker 6: We sat up WhatsApp group in twenty nineteen when we first started we first met and started working on the film, and that that WhatsApp group was called.
Speaker 5: It's a real coincidence.
Speaker 6: It was called knee Cap go to Hollywood, right, And so it's kind of crazy that here we are sitting in Hollywood with you.
Speaker 7: Are you really sitting in Hollywood?
Speaker 5: You're really around you, We're actually in Hollywood.
Speaker 6: Hand you an I'll see this and then your fridge.
Speaker 5: It wasn't fretting boiling it.
Speaker 7: Well you can gone.
Speaker 8: So I'm I'm you know, like most people around here where I live, half Irish upper half of lower half its inside.
Speaker 7: The half Mexican half Irish. That's a good mixture.
Speaker 8: Catholic people still r c Roman Catholic, still an ultar boys.
Speaker 4: Why you got the hair department in your hair?
Speaker 5: Hello, my son have.
Speaker 6: They been trying to get rid of you from the old boy for like twenty years. Now they're like, mate, it's time to give it up.
Speaker 5: Give someone else a mind, give somebody else a chance.
Speaker 7: With the bell so unattractive, evidently you're beautiful.
Speaker 8: But anyway, I love the movie. I've seen it a couple of times ahead of wife. There's no subtitles other than the Irish stuff, so it's when we hear Irish people speak English, it's hard to get everything, but it's part of the fun.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's interesting because, yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Some people don't struggle the streets with the accent of bit.
Speaker 6: And we did have lots of debates, you know, how much do you kind of subtitle things? Can you over subtitle things? And I kind of, you know, we kind of came to the conclusion that for the authenticity of things, we just think that it's better just to have left it and allow people to kind of enjoy it at whatever level they can. But it's crack and open the door to a world, do you know what I mean, and allowing you to look in, And I think that's part of the fun.
Speaker 8: You did the right thing, because of course of the movie I've been talking about this movie on my show for weeks, so I tell you to much about it. But you know, you're you're, you're, you're singing lyrics were when I'm going to band and nobody can understand my lyrics, you know, in English, you know, because it's.
Speaker 7: Punk rock and it just kind of comes at you fast, you know.
Speaker 8: So I think he did the right thing, and it could have been worse because it could have been in Scottish.
Speaker 9: A lot of people don't know whither that Irish is a language in itself, you know. Also, people are watching the film, there's the Aris languages, which is our indigenous language of the land for the two days in the years, and then there's people speaking Irish English, which sounds like people would say that the Irish is talking exposing.
Speaker 7: We have a we have Spanglish that people. Yes, let me get into that.
Speaker 8: You guys are, uh, you're part of this language movement now, but you were I mean in the movie it deals with that, like, how did our biggest advocate in the movie, it looks like you're the biggest advocates for the preservation of the Irish language, but you are what you guys call hoods and then they have to come to the realization that these guys are our best advocates to preserve our language.
Speaker 7: Is that what's your relationship like with the language movement?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 7: Are they are they proud of you? Or are they like a little bit that kind of stuff.
Speaker 10: I think there's an understanding that, Like, I'm sure there are some people who probably don't enjoy the way we intertwine youth culture with the language.
Speaker 7: They would prefer a whole bunch of drugs.
Speaker 10: Yeah, exactly, Hey, don't give away.
Speaker 5: All the secrets here.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So a lot of maybe would prefer if we just maintained a certain you know, you already a language and talked about fat cottages and traditional music, et cetera, et cetera. But I think especially there's a growing a big Irish language community because we came the realization that for a language to live, it has to have every element available to be at school, radio, social clubs and all this stuff. And part of that there is having music that young people will be interested to listen to.
Speaker 5: And they're going to listen.
Speaker 10: To Eminem or they're going to listen to some other hip hop music and English, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be available in Irish.
Speaker 9: It should be representative to the people who's coming up through and it gives you young people something to go, right that that's me.
Speaker 8: That's me.
Speaker 5: You can't be in Neede into music.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and you need something that will be banned from school and only anyway the language will survive if it if it exists in these places. You know that it's something that COMMI banned because they're that kind of mixing colon relevant for teenagers growing up and then they want to be a part of it. And that's just part of a living language.
Speaker 5: And well what I've talking about living language.
Speaker 6: I mean, what I found really fascinating from an early stage was that these boys were inventing words that were becoming falling into the lexicon of the language. And it's like to be, you know, one thing about a language being you know, so they're being relatively few speakers, you really can have a huge impact upon that language.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 6: It's like it's very hard to have about it in past in the English language, right, you know, occasionally a word someone comes up with a word that kind of falls into usage. But these guys, yeah, you know, but these guys that you know, we're coming up with words on a monthly basis. They're releasing a song and these words were then being used. You know, when I first met them and I joined an Irish language class, half the people in that Irish language class were there because of Kneecap and that was in twenty nineteen. So that was the cultural impact that we're having then, and it's exciting to think that, you know now and then the film coming out and then growing and growing and growing. There are literally thousands of people on the island of Ireland who are right now learning language.
Speaker 5: Because of what these boys are doing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think that's incredible, and that's why it's such a perfect movie because it has so many layers of it.
Speaker 7: You can like it on these different layers.
Speaker 8: And then the one layer that it's a part of a real movement to preserve a language, which is super serious business but it's also entertaining.
Speaker 7: Is amazing music.
Speaker 8: And then you guys are playing yourselves in the movie, which is you know, since I'm from Hollywood, but my mind is is blowing because obviously that's wrong.
Speaker 7: You can't do that.
Speaker 1: Thank you Joe, Thank you guys from Kneecap. It was that and so far, that's like the first half of the interview. We're going to have the second half of the interview coming up on the other end of this break. Thank you so much for joining us right here on Joe Escalate Live from Hollywood. We're going to go and check the news and traffic and we are going to be right back.
Speaker 4: There's my music.
Speaker 5: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Joe Escalate Live from Hollywood. If not Hollywood, it's Superbank and you know, Hollywood kind of extends just.
Speaker 4: Beyond that little area.
Speaker 1: I guess there's so many pieces of southern California that fall into the Hollywood umbrella. But anyways, I digress. I'm an engineer, Sam. This is Joe Escalate Live from Hollywood. Thank you so much for joining us on AM eleven fifty and on your iHeartRadio app. Producer Nicki is here with me. We got Joe with the crew from Kneecap. Let's get back to that interview. Joe take it away.
Speaker 8: So you guys approved everybody else wrong that you you're starting a language revolution and you're playing yourself in a movie. When I first heard that, I go, well, this is gonna you know, be interesting, but it's going to have bad acting. I was in a movie called when I was younger called Suburbia, which is a movie about punk rock, and they cast all real punk rockers from the Hollywood scene to play all the parts. Every actor was bad. It was awful, and the movie is like, it's a great movie. It's but the acting is terrible. That you guys are great. You could be in any movie as actors. And I think that's really what people are going to be. Just one of the levels people are going to be surprised on who came up with that idea?
Speaker 7: Was that rich? The directory it was?
Speaker 5: It was never really it was never really something that was discussed. It was, you know, it's such a.
Speaker 6: To make a film about a band that's never really never released an album, that didn't have a record label, that were wrapping the language that so few people spoke. It doesn't make sense to make a movie about that on paper, right.
Speaker 7: And it's so light, So it's like that, so we're not putting my money in it.
Speaker 6: No, exactly exactly and no one's going to watch that, right and so but weirdly it was so niche that suddenly it was like that's the very reason we need to make.
Speaker 5: It because it sounds so mad.
Speaker 6: It's like either going to be terrible or brilliant, right, But obviously it's if no one even knows who the band are, then it's weird to get people to play them because you know what I mean, It's like we didn't know they were in the first place, so who were they? It just got confusing. So it was never really discussed the idea of anyone else playing it other than was it Denzel Washington was going to play. You wanted to play him, but you know, they were scrambling at in it a bit, but we said, no, it's going to stick to stick to playing themselves.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Brad Brad's he let himself call for a few months when he was doing one of these.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like my Physiq, it.
Speaker 7: Just wasn't a squig. Are you guys the bands are blind?
Speaker 5: Yes, of course I love the Blome.
Speaker 7: I'm the manager of the Blind.
Speaker 5: No way.
Speaker 8: We're going through the same thing right now with Sony Pictures trying to cast and get put together a movie about the band Sublime and the the story of the guy developing for music and then dying when he's twenty eight and then and then it's spawning this big thing.
Speaker 7: It's a pretty good story, but we got stripped. There's a scritfully yeah, ut nailed down. It's agent. Have your agent send it over to Chair and Entertainment.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 6: I mean that was you know when I was about When I was eighteen years old, I fell in love with a Californian girl and I moved to Isla Vista, right and I lived in she was went to UCSB and I lived there. And that's when I was first exposed to Sublime, and I was just I just fell in love with Sublime, and it was just it's a soundtrack of my life, you know, late teen thirty twenties, and yeah.
Speaker 7: Okay, then give me some advice, would you care.
Speaker 8: Bradley Nole's twenty eight year old son as Bradley Nole, the singer who died at age twenty eight, And now he's the singer of Sublime in there playing all over all the festivals right now.
Speaker 7: He's took he's tookn over. He took over for his dad as the singer of the Big Yah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I know that I know him as well?
Speaker 5: Does he does? He look like him as well?
Speaker 7: Yes, he looks like him, sounds like them.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the big question, right is you know, in all of the time of trying to get the film funded and everything like that, you'd have these meetings people and they'd be like, we love the script, we think there's potential here, but you know, you're getting the guys to play themselves.
Speaker 5: Can they act?
Speaker 6: And obviously when you're trying to fund the movie, you'll say freaking anything, right, It's like you just.
Speaker 5: Go, yeah, yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 6: I never was like and then they'd be like, can you never get something on tape? And I was like, no, no, no, you know, yeah, I'll get something too late, and it never quite happened. And you know, but there was work to do, Like we did six months of acting classes, you.
Speaker 5: Know, to get yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: It was not anywhere near a case of just walk on set and knock it out. There was six months of hard work of really learning the craft and understanding you know that these guys who.
Speaker 5: Can perform, they could perform.
Speaker 6: But there's a big difference to performing on stage and performing with a camera six inches from your face, right, It's a very different kind of But once you've I think everyone can act right, it's just what do you have the toolbox to quite understand the process of that. And so it was for all of us, you know, I did at the acting course with them. We had a great acting coach called Kieren Lagan, and over the course of six months, it was understand that acting's reacting right, It's about being present in the moment. It's about listening as much as it is talking. And you know and understand that great actors they give a lot, They give you a lot to react off of, and surrounding your cast and experience with experienced people is you know, actually something that can really help raise everyone's game. So I think the only question you need to answer is is he prepared to you know, if you prepared to learn the crime?
Speaker 5: Do you know, do the work? Do the work? Because this is the thing is that these boys did the work.
Speaker 6: None of the you know and behind the anarchic you know, spirit and everything about Kneecap, they you know, these boys are you know when it comes to knuckling down doing the work, they do the work right because nothing happened, you know, nothing happens. You know, they're not blessed, They're not blessed, you know, it's like they have to do the work to get first.
Speaker 5: I mean touched, you.
Speaker 7: Did touch me?
Speaker 8: Okay, So let me ask you another question about your movie, which I guess is going to be released here worldwide in August and everyone's got to see A kneecap Is and you're going to fall in love with the town and the people in it, and another level of why this movie is so much fun?
Speaker 7: What's the town like?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 8: Do you guys still live there? I know, DJ probably is that you say probably? Probably you were a teacher there and you had you yeah, every day day city, but I was, I was teaching up round there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you guys still live there? What's it? What's it like? I live there?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Me and Macara still live there. I still live there. He we've adopted.
Speaker 10: We've adopted him as an honorary Irishman.
Speaker 7: He hasn't haven't got your ash passport yet.
Speaker 5: So it's in the post and they both. It's a very fun setting.
Speaker 7: It's a thriving city.
Speaker 10: It's there's lots of like really good music, good traditional music. There's a good history of punk music and Belfast going back to Stiff Little Fingers and the Outcasts as well.
Speaker 7: I've played with them many times.
Speaker 6: It's a graffiti capital of Europe, the web capital, the graffiti capital graf He had.
Speaker 7: Some good stuff.
Speaker 8: What was your band called you, my Ben It's called the Vandals, the.
Speaker 7: Believes. The amount of people we've ever had at a show was in Belfast.
Speaker 10: We've played a gig the other day in Portugal and we had about ten people there.
Speaker 5: Song Storm and he was on the same time. Doesn't just stole our audience.
Speaker 10: We're bad onone gig and there was four of other people, and then the next gig there was time people.
Speaker 5: And so I keep you.
Speaker 7: Humble, keep you humble. Anyway, there they're telling me my time is out.
Speaker 8: So I want to say thank you guys for all your advice and your dedication to making this movie. Come home live and read it for you, making it look so awesome and see you at the Oscars.
Speaker 3: Huge thank you to Joe and everybody at Kneecap for making this interview possible. It was fantastic to learn more about the film and guys, anybody who wants to watch Kneecap. It has been released in the United States as of August second, so go find it.
Speaker 2: It's Sony pictures and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were lucky we got screeners of it, but I actually want to go and see it on the big screen because I know I want to contribute money to this film, and I don't have much of that right now. That's how much I like it. So we're gonna go to break, We're gonna come right back, and we're gonna wrap things up here from Joe Escalatee Live from Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Joe Esclatee.
Speaker 1: Loyal, you don't want money, Joe Escalatee Live from Hollywood. We're in Burbank. We're not gonna lie anymore. We're just not gonna call it live from Burbank. It doesn't have the same punch. I'm engineer, Sam. I got producer Nikki here. How are you doing, Nicky? I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: How about you? Sam?
Speaker 1: Hanging in there. We got one more segment to go. We want to clarify something that we brought up earlier in the show, the outcome of the Scarlett Johansson chat GBT loss that we were discussing earlier. I guess it was in so much a lawsuit as it was with cease and desist.
Speaker 3: I guess that's what it looks like I haven't seen the exact phrasings between lawsuits heason desist, but I think that language has probably all been removed to keep things as simple as possible for any speculators on this subject. But it looks like Sam Altman had approached Scarlett Johansson in September of I think twenty twenty three and had asked, actually if Scarlett would loan her voice to the program for you know, he thought it would be comforting to kind of resemble the film her right where actually similar to what our listeners may be experiencing now, a disembodied voice named Sam is talking to the main character. Scarlett had declined that offer, and then come February of this year, is hearing a very similar voice to her own named Sky as part of the chat GPT language model, and was extremely upset about the similarities between her own voice and this model. So in the upset, it seems like there was probably a cease and desist involved because they had phased out the voice called Sky, which really resembled Scarlett Johansson's voice.
Speaker 2: So it seems as if it's settled.
Speaker 3: There hasn't really been much talk about this since February and the statement from Open AI saying they would remove the voice.
Speaker 2: So hopefully we can all sleep at.
Speaker 3: Night knowing that we will never have her sam model of our own.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know about you, but I have not been able to sleep at night ever since I saw Olympic break dancing.
Speaker 3: I've been having the most vivid dreams of becoming an Olympian since.
Speaker 2: Now I know just how accessible it is to me.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I may need to move to Australia and claim citizenship because I'm forty five. But I'm an old I'm an old breaker. I'm seriously poppin' lockin. I got that stuff down. I grew up on breaking and breaking too. I don't think this woman even watched elect Rick Boogoloo.
Speaker 3: I think though, that she may have been the only breakdancer who would pass a drug test.
Speaker 2: And this seems like me.
Speaker 1: I think you had to be on excessive amount of drugs to think the bunny hop was a smart move.
Speaker 3: I was sobriety speaking, it was roaring in that moment.
Speaker 2: I think that was amazing.
Speaker 3: I love knowing that the stuff I'm doing in my own house and the comfort of my own home when no one's around me and I've had way too much coffee could be considered an Olympic activity.
Speaker 1: All I know is I've seen competitions from around the world. I've seen and I mean, my body is broken. I can't do this stuff for the life of me anymore. But I'm not sure if they get YouTube in Australia and like they just like just recently got VHS copies of beet Street because that's that looked like she was just like she like she was just born and was like just trying to find her way to figure out how to stand up.
Speaker 4: It was weird.
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 3: I admired that I could watch something like that on TV in that level of quality of camera and production. I have to say I liked her outfit. I mean, the jumping was a little bit excessive. I don't think it was breakdancing, but I was very entertained.
Speaker 10: I was now.
Speaker 4: It was very entertaining. It was also very baffling and bewildering.
Speaker 1: And because seriously I grew up, I remember the eighty four Olympics when you know, they had the opening ceremonies and this was legit maybe the first time breakdancing on a wide scale had been introduced on a world stage, because it was something that like maybe at that point people around them saw Beat Street, like somebody got like a bootleg copy of Beat Street in Guatemala or something like that, and they saw breaking and breaking too, because this was nineteen eighty four, right around Breaking was coming.
Speaker 4: So I was five years old and I remember Lionel.
Speaker 1: Ritchie singing all nine long and breakdancers doing their thing all around him.
Speaker 7: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: And I get the feeling that like she saw the footage of that just recently, like it just happened to like a VHS copy or a Beta Max copy happened to like come floating down the ocean and wound up, you know, making it through the Great Barrier reef and crashing on the shores of Sydney. And she picked it up and she says, oh, what is this And she puts it into a Beta Max player and she's like, I can do that. And the Olympics are just coming up and they got break dancing.
Speaker 4: I can do this.
Speaker 3: Have you ever seen the vine called Hi, I'm Ornada Bliss and I'm your freestyle dance teacher. Yes, you ever seen that. Vinet's what that reminded me of. I feel like they could be related. Oh my god, it was amazing. Now I give her credit for trying.
Speaker 1: I mean, seriously, you have to have guts to go on an international stage.
Speaker 4: And I mean seriously.
Speaker 1: I remember being a kid and I was like, I used to break dance when I was five years old because I had seen break Ins one and two and I was like all about it, and I was jealous of all the little kids that were out there not too far from where I lived, at the coliseum. I wanted to be there and I was like, I want to do that. And now it appears that I still can.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: I think you can. I really think you have it in you. It was either that or ping pong or shooting cool.
Speaker 1: I hate that Turkish shooter became like the stud of the in and of the Olympics, aside from the French pole vaulter.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that was so funny. First of all, the Turkish guy, I see my father in him. So I really have a soft spot in my heart for that dude.
Speaker 2: He was soothe.
Speaker 4: This dude out there.
Speaker 1: I mean other Olympians would get gold medals and do the pose that he did.
Speaker 4: He was that smooth with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a killer for show.
Speaker 3: But I think that the French pole vaulter guy, I mean coming in second because of that, that is actually coming in first, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he won it life, he.
Speaker 2: Won the Olympics.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, no, babe, you're perfect the way you are.
Speaker 2: I hate it when pole vulters win gold. You know, well, I hate that.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure he even needed the poll.
Speaker 1: Oh, just give him a viagra and a running start and he'll clear everything.
Speaker 4: Geez, good, good on him, My god.
Speaker 2: Yeah we can. We can do break dancing.
Speaker 3: I think next summer Olympics, we've got to have We've got.
Speaker 2: To have something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe accommodate some of our some of our genetically predisposed champions.
Speaker 1: Bowling, bowling, bowling. I want bowling. That'll give all of us a shot.
Speaker 2: That's fair, Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 1: Also, before we go, NBA on TNT, we'd been talking about this for the last few weeks, and this is actually interesting. TNT is upset and they tried to file a lawsuit against the NBA. And because the idea that they had was that they had to match the offer from because the NBA is trying to put together a new broadcast deal, a multi billion dollar deal that involves NBC, ESPN, and Amazon Prime, and what TNT believed was that they had to match the offer of Amazon Prime. And it turns out that nope, when this when the contract was set and everything like that was like, when the option for TNT to match the offers of the other networks was put into that contract, Amazon Prime was not even a thing. So the idea was that they had to match the offers of other networks, not other streaming services. So TNT put together a package to match the deal of Amazon Prime, and that wasn't what they were talking about. So now basically, the NBA made it so that instead of TNT having to raise enough money to put together a deal to match something one of those three competitors, they TNT matched Amazon, and NBA is like, nope, you had to match the other guys, and the other guys paid a lot more and TNT isn't willing to match that. So it looks like this will be the last season of NBA on TNT, which means last season of Inside the NBA Emmy winning show arguably one of the funniest shows on TV, and if you haven't seen it, you're missing an American treasure.
Speaker 4: You need to go and watch it.
Speaker 1: It's going to be the last season of it's heartbreaking because it would be nice. I think the NBA was like, well, one of these networks wants to bring all of you guys over. But the main cannon on the show, Ernie Johnson, and said, I'm not going anywhere. I've been on T and T for the last forty something years and he is much more of I guess he has something called loyalty to him, so he's.
Speaker 4: Not going to go and jump ship.
Speaker 1: Charles Barkley, another huge major piece of the equation for them, said he's retiring at the end of this year. So it's a shame. It's sad, but this is the way business goes, and they just took away something. They're about to take something away from us that we all love and kind of hold sacred, especially if you're a basketball fan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have to.
Speaker 3: I really have to give you props for your ability to do radio while you're sobbing into your shirt.
Speaker 1: Oh I know, it's yeah, I'm right, I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be your tears right now, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I'm crying in my weedies and diluting the milk.
Speaker 1: Anyways, that's what's going on right now, and it looks like we're up on the wall of the hard break.
Speaker 4: But we'll be.
Speaker 1: Right back or this and then we'll be out of here. Have a good night, y'all, will see you later. This is Joe Escalante, and I'm not Joe Escalante. I'm saying that's producer Nikki. See y'all next week.
Speaker 5: Hi might