Speaker 1: This episode contains mentions of graphic or sensitive material that may be triggering. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Crime A.
Speaker 3: Hi, everyone, and welcome back to the show made by the Crime Junkie Ashley Flowers for those who are Crime Junkie AF, and today I have not one, but two special guests that are here to share their incredible story and listen. I've covered a lot of cases, but this one is wild. It made headlines in twenty fifteen when it was falsely dubbed the Real Life Gone Girl, and their story was also chronicled in a widely popular Netflix docuseries, American Nightmare. You guys have also co authored a book titled Victim f from crime Victims to suspects to Survivors, and you're now advocating for the wrongfully accused and convicted. And so I am so honored to welcome Denise and Aaron Quinn, doctors of Physical Therapy too.
Speaker 4: Crime Junkie AF Welcome.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I know that this weekend you actually right here in Indy in the flesh, because you guys were at an event working with an organization that does a lot for the wrongfully convicted on your life bingo card. Is this where you thought you would end up in what you'd be doing?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. Yeah, No, I envisioned working as a physical therapist and yeah, maybe starting a family, which check check, Yeah, doing that but all yeah, no, how could you even imagine any of this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you want to Obviously, people can go read your book, they can watch the documentary. But for those who don't know your story, do you can you please walk us through a little bit of how you found yourself in the situation you are now, way back in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I moved to Vallejo, California in twenty fourteen to pursue a physical therapy residency to specialize in working with people with severe and eural logical disorders so traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury gbs als and so it was a nine month residency. I was expecting to be there temporarily. I was not expecting to meet the love of my life, Aaron.
Speaker 4: Spoiler alert, We have a happy ending.
Speaker 2: But we Yeah, we met working at the hospital together and we had a shared passion for what we were doing, and we would just find ourselves at social gatherings just kind of gravitating towards one another. We talked about family and friends and sports and life, and I was surprised at how quickly we fell in love, were you.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, without question? Was yeah, we just hit off right away, and like we would just spend hours talking to each other, and it was yeah, I'm pretty amazing.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, it was an ex did And also the timing was not ideal because Aaron had just gotten out of a relationship and his ex also worked in the hospital with us, which plays into a lot of Also what happened because she was the intended target of the kidnapping, and the police chose not to believe Aaron, partly because of the complicated relationship situation surrounding that. But again, our love was undeniable, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just so that the when this all, when the story starts, when when all this takes place, you guys are actually like coming together right that evening to like have a talk about like what is our relationships?
Speaker 4: What are the next steps?
Speaker 3: And obviously you guys decided you wanted to move forward, right, but.
Speaker 4: Then your life took a left turn.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: What happened?
Speaker 2: Well, we went to bed that night and we were awoken into a voice saying, this is a robbery. We aren't here to hurt you. Stay calm, and continued speaking and instructing me to tie airon up. I was tied up. They put blacked out swim goggles over our eyes, headphones over our ears, with prerecorded messages of instruction. We were hoping that it was just a robbery. We could hear the other intruders downstairs opening drawers and a drill being used. And so if we both just individually thought, okay, if we're compliant and we do what they say, then they'll take our belongings, take our money. That's fine, then it'll all be over. But that's not what happened. And as the night progressed, they separated me from Aaron, and then I was told they were going to be taking me for forty eight hours. And initially the voice he was speaking, he said, you know this is we have a pro problem. This wasn't intended for you. We've got to figure out what we're going to do. But ultimately they decided to continue with the kidnapping. And I was putting the trunk of a car, what.
Speaker 3: Are you thinking? But at that point, you like it can't be a robbery in your head anymore.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I mean that at that point, I knew it was going to be taken, and I didn't know what was going to happen next. And we were forced to take sedatives. So at that point, the sedative's already kicked in. I've got zip ties binding me. I don't know what's happening with Aaron, and there's they're threatening us, you know, if you don't cooperate, we're gonna cut your partner's face or give electric shocks. We could hear tasers being or stun guns being like zapped across the room as threats, obviously, so it was hard. You don't want when it's just you, maybe maybe you'd fight, maybe you'd try something, but when they're threatening the person that you love, you don't want to do or say anything that could lead them to getting hurt or killed. And that's what they used against us, you know. And it wasn't clear what the kidnappers were going to ask of Aaron. They didn't specifically tell me because again I thought, I mean, I knew he had some money and is in the savings or something, but there was nothing in our lives that was out of the ordinary, that was that would lead us to think that anything like this would happen.
Speaker 3: So they take her away and you wake up, and then what happens.
Speaker 1: Well, they had provided instructions the night before saying that I need to give them two payments of eighty five hundred dollars to stay under the ten thousand dollars federal mandate report limit.
Speaker 4: They thought about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, the kidnappers knew where I banked, they knew where my parents lived, They had done their research on me, and so they also had threatened if I went to the police that they would go after my family. They told me if I called the police, they would kill Denise and basically just pay the money and we can move on with our lives. So they put me down at in my living room, which I had taped off areas where I needed to stay. There was a camera set up in the corner room saying that they're going to monitor me. They also said they had put a mirroring app on my phone so they could see if I was texting or calling anyone. And I was supposed to stay there till receiving instructions on going to the bank and they were going to follow me to the bank. Later. When I finally woke up from the seatives, it was like midday and I got some emails from the kidnappers communicating tell me about that they'll instruct I just needed to wait, basically, and then at a certain point I realized I can't trust these people. I mean, obviously I didn't trust them in the first place, but it realized I needed to get help, and uh, eventually I decided to call nine one one, which is still like the hardest decision I ever had to make, because my feeling is if I call the police, I know I'm going to be safe, but if they can not per see I called nine one one that they will kill deniece and they were asking for amount of money that I could give them. But UH figured if I show up with the money, they could just take me and kill us both and then there's no witnesses. So when the police. But I decided to call the police, and when they show up the house or meet immediately accusatory, uh, asking if I've been partying, if I was on drugs, and I was like, I've been drugged by the kidnappers, but they kept on asking me, are you partying? Did you have a party last night coming on? No, but that's what they seem to focus on.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you were like in the upside down?
Speaker 3: Like I feel like I would be so taken aback, but like I call you for help.
Speaker 4: What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Even the the camera that the kidnappers had installed was making some noises. They just went over and unplugged the camera and I was like, what are you doing? Like there wasn't a did not seem like they were taking any of this seriously, just like no gloves, yeah, no gloves, yeah yeah. And eventually they seem to back off, but they said like, come to the station give a statement, which I was like, I'm here to help to all get station. And I kind of already knew that they would at some point think that was just like love triangle that went astray between Denise and my ex. But I was like, I know that this actually happened. The evidence supports me. Unfortunately, I went in with like a mindset of an innocent person and you can't actually do that, because they very quickly put me in prison clothes at the police station and then started interrogating me for about eighteen hours, saying that I need to you confess that I killed Denise. I'm just making up this crazy story that no one would believe. And it's either I it was an accident or I'm a cold, calculated monster. But there was no question that Denise was dead. Went in to tective said, I'm not looking for alive Denise. I'm looking for dead Denise. And I've accepted that and you need to accept that. So they just hammered away from me, at me for hours and and I.
Speaker 2: Mean they stripped him down, naked, took photographs of his naked body, then put him in jail clothes. So it was just everything was very strategic to break him him down, which is what they do, and they isolated him from his family. His family was there. He kept asking for his family. They said, I don't know where your family is, and they wanted to see him.
Speaker 3: And it's like it's like they could only operate in the box that they knew and what what happened to you guys was so calculated and abnormal they could they only look at it through this like boyfriend kills girlfriend lens.
Speaker 1: And they also didn't actually investigate anything. And we find out later that they literally didn't look at a single thing, and they didn't bother reach out to other departments, which if they had, they would have found out the mo that was done in our case. There were similar crimes prior.
Speaker 2: To you guys, prior to us in the Bay Area.
Speaker 1: So they just straight up didn't do anything and just said, well, I don't believe them, and they're going to try to get a confession. That was like their only goal. Even after I asked for attorney, they didn't get me attorney. They sent my brother in who's an FBI special agent, telling him to try to get a confession from me. He's the only reason why I got an attorney because when they allowed him to leave, he was straight up in the parking lot googling criminal defense attorneys for murder in Vallejo and he ended up finding my attorney, Dan Russo, who was the only reason why I got out of interrogation cell, because they were just going to keep me there indefinitely.
Speaker 4: Until you broke exactly.
Speaker 1: And actually the detective told my brother, I would like to try a few more things and so get me attorney because it does not matter to them, because because they just can't they can hold you and just do that to you, and they'll and people generally don't think about like why would I confess to something I didn't do? And that's by if the hour after hour after hour, that's the only thing that they'll accept. They kept on telling me, you need to start the story over. That makes sense. We can't start with it. You know, three people breaking in your house that didn't happen, so tell us that you did it. And often a lot of people confess not thinking that they did the crime, just to get it to stop, because it's psychological torture. It's horrible.
Speaker 3: I've seen it happen over and over where it's it's they're like, you can get out of this room, and there in everyone's mind it's like, okay, well I can get help when I'm out of this room. Right now, I'm by myself. I'm with them, Like, once I'm out of this room, we can all figure this out. They'll they'll see that I didn't do it. But there is no getting out of that room once they get what they want.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's a thing. Confessions get convictions, even false confessions. So and jurors just don't understand the pressure that is put on the psychological manipulation. A lot of people think, well, why would you confess to something you didn't do. Wait till you're in that position and they're trained to break you down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's about eighty percent conviction rate if you confess, regardless of physical evidence. So there's been cases where someone falsely confessed they weren't even in the same state and they got conviction because of that. And that's a problem with our system here is that people were so caught up on gain confessions as like a gold standard. But it doesn't matter. The confessions shouldn't matter unless there's actual evidence to back it up, which.
Speaker 3: There is a law corpus dilecti, like there is supposed to be that you're not supposed to be able to convict someone just on a confession. You are supposed to be able to show in physical events circumstantial evidence reasons why they could have done it as well stuff to back up that confession. But I've seen so many instances where that just like goes out the window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean in the most tragic thing of it all is that they had Aaron's phone. They should have been monitoring it. Someone put it on airplane mode, and that first night they missed phone calls from the kidnapper who was holding me captive. They could have traced it, they could have rescued me, they could have spared one of the rapes that I had. Yeah, so it and it's just all because of their tunnel vision. They were just so focused on Aaron and they missed evidence that could have led them to be the heroes in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and to continue how extreme it went. So police said I had killed Denise. I was able to get out of the police department. But eventually Denise was released by the kidnappers, and instead of taking it seriously, the police within hours said it was a hoax and that they try to pin Denis sign against each other, saying that one of us will get community, but not both to say that it's all made up.
Speaker 3: And at that point, is that just to like cover their own ass or did they do? You think they really like believe this in their hard of hearts.
Speaker 2: I mean they were angry. If you see the press conference Kenny park gives saying that it's a while goose Chase, We've plundered valuable resources on nothing, So I guess I'm nothing but he's smug, he is, he's angry, and we find out later that the chief of police instructed him before he went out there to go burn that bitch. I mean, that's the mindset that they were in. All of these men had no idea anything about me. They interviewed my family. My family said all these positive things about me. One of the things that clicked to the lead detective was my mom told him that I was molested when I was twelve, and he was like, oh, well, you know, that could be a reason for some to make up a story like this. And at that point too, I'm still missing. My mom doesn't know if I'm really alive or dead, and she's having the lead detective say, oh, she was molested, Okay, then she you know, she must be suspicious.
Speaker 3: And they didn't know you from Adam before that, so like you guys have a history with law enforcement, like right, and again I decided.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Aaron's brothers in the FBI, like how you know, like what, Yeah, it's hard to understand that level of hate and that just that closed minded tunnel vision.
Speaker 1: Is just yeah, And I honestly can't tell you what the police were thinking, because like the mental gymnastics that they had to go through to get to a murder to now we're doing this together to end where's labeled the real life Gone Girl.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what the end goal would have been in their mind.
Speaker 1: They were saying. At least they mentioned that we were looking for our fifteen minutes of fame, which I was like, we have doctorate degrees. I mean, I I think I had a Facebook page. I don't like, we're not people trying to be out, you know, on social media, trying to expand ourselves like we're Denise's.
Speaker 4: There was nothing that would have given them that indication.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again they didn't. They can't express like why we would like any motivation to it, and it.
Speaker 2: Literally was they swear they just saw the movie and they're like, aha, you know, I mean, And that's a scary part that these trained professionals, including the FBI, you would think would know better and go buy a different standard instead of getting their tips from fiction.
Speaker 1: And to the point of where they put my phone on airplane mode the cannappers had called, they didn't track those phone calls till twenty four hours later they actually tracked them up to South Lake Tallahoe. They never went to South Lake Tahoe to examine uh the area at all, which we later find out Denise was held in Tahoe. Uh And after the press conference or to police sow as a hoax, the kidnappers even sent emails going like this actually happened. We'll give you all this evidence of like because they were stealing cars on the island, they had broken other people's houses there, they had been doing a string of crimes that they're like, this is what we've been doing, and we did kidnap them. And the police said whenever our lawyers was potentially writing the emails, or my brother was writing the emails, or we made it up because I had I was on next door, which is like, you know, a community message board. So they said, Aaron's on an active member on next store, so he knew about these crimes. I'm like, how the what?
Speaker 2: And there's details in the emails that were not posted on next door that you wouldn't be able to know, like the specific things that they stole, and then things that they didn't steal. They chose not to steal that over Xbox because they already had one, or so there's just things in it that like there's just no way we would have had that information.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just like, what's so insane to me is is this narrow mindedness, Like fine, look at you guys, sure exactly, but like also while you're at least exploring all of the options, but they truly went on a hunt for just the pieces that fit into this theory that they made up out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lead detective literally says, I'm a puzzle maker, and I'm gonna fit the puzzles together to make it look like you're a monster.
Speaker 4: I mean she said that out loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I recently reviewed the interrogations and I was like, oh my, it's just every time. It's still hard that time. Now, Oh, he's still working on payroll and he's going to get the pension. He got promoted, he.
Speaker 1: Got awarded, he was given Officer of the Year that year. He's also was ahead of the union for nine years. So he has tremendous power. And we've heard from other officers in that department who say that this is what he does. He just bullies people. We know that he's withheld evidence in other cases. He lied on sworn statements in our lawsuit. He's I would say it slightly. He's just a dirty cop that has no accountability and no one holds him to any sort standard. And now he's going to retire with full pension and the city will be paying him. He makes over two hundred and fifty thousand a year and they'll just be paying him for his retirement.
Speaker 4: Does that make you want to flip the table? I want to flip the fucking.
Speaker 1: It's well, yes, it does, maybe a little bit more than that too. The problem is, like in Dean Sire, in the grand scheme of things, like the Lucky Ones, out of this we weren't convicted, but that took us hiring criminal defense attorneys that cost us one hundred and forty thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: My brother's FBA.
Speaker 3: Don you think about that like that, Like one hundred and forty thousand dollars is not is not something that a huge majority of the world has has at their disposal, much less like that they can actually like put up. It's the system is.
Speaker 4: Not made for the people who often need it the most.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, and I mean my the only reason we could afford it my family was because my grandma passed away. The year before and my dad got an inheritance. It's like, how would I have even you.
Speaker 3: Know, you'll lose homes, You'll lose like exactly, you'll go into debt, like hoping that your life.
Speaker 2: We're both fortunate to have the families that we have, Like I've got a big family. Remember talking to my cousin, I'm like, how do I get because he's the first one I saw And I'm like, okay, we need a criminal defense attorney. I'm like, how am I going to pay for this? And he's like, don't worry, and he's we're gonna figure it out. We'll all be there to support you. But it just it is daunting, like how do we even how do you? How do you fight the FBI? Like who do you turn to? I mean, at one point, breaking point, I turned to Aaron sobbing because my mom was sobbing in the next room. She's like, why are they doing this to my baby girl? And I don't have an answer to give her. And I'm crying to him, going like who do we call? Like Obama's president at the time, Like do we call him? Like what a ridiculous statement, you know, like he's got more important things, But that's just the desperation and the power of the highest agency attacking you.
Speaker 3: Which is like to go back to I mean, this guy who's gonna go live his life with this pension. There's like it feels like there's no accountability. No, like you do. You wield so much power and you're given praise, but like when things go wrong, it's like, ah, innocent mistake. I mean like it's almost like that's what they chalk it up to all the time, like, ah, it was a mistake. You know, we tried to fix it. No big deal.
Speaker 4: But okay, it is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Like people lose their livelihoods to like if they end up on the other side. Most people don't end up on the other side of it.
Speaker 1: Well, they also kept on saying that this case was too bizarre or too crazy for anyone to solve. And then you actually look at like, well, you know, tracking the phone calls, you know, reach out at your job. Yeah, exactly. So they try to say that they weren't malicious, they just made mistakes.
Speaker 2: And still blaming us. So we pursued a lawsuit against the city and the police department, and throughout the whole thing were lies and well, we couldn't believe them because they weren't acting like victims, lying saying that I didn't say that I was a victim, even though I did say I was a victim of kidnapping.
Speaker 3: And I'd be so angry at that point too, and so like, I, yes, you're a victim, but I also be like.
Speaker 4: I don't have to act any certain way for you.
Speaker 3: You're coming from like my whole life.
Speaker 1: What's important though, there's no set way that victims act. And even during our lawsuit, weren't opposing the chief of police. He's told that, yeah, I'm trained that victims all act differently, and so like how it's a victim supposed to act, and like what we did was I called for help. I answered all your questions. I like gave you my blood, my DNA, I literally gave you a clothes off my back. And he's answered all the questions that she was asked until they accused her of her crime, and then she got attorney, which is all right, but they said they told me that she lawyered up and therefore that was a sign of guilt, not excluding the fact that the accused her of her crime, which you know, gat defense attorney is a good idea.
Speaker 2: They offered me a profit of agreement, and I'm like, what is that so, like, I mean, of course I'm going to get an attorney. You know, it's like you're diagnosed with cancer and then people go, oh my god, you got an oncologist, Like, well that's so weird. Yeah, like what.
Speaker 1: So all of this was to say is like the system can railroad people. And we have met people who have spent decades in prison and they are innocent and they eventually, you know, very few get exonerated, but they get their lives stolen. And there's tends to be very little accountability for the officers who do this type of thing, so especially when it's like in this almost wilfully ignorant or malicious way to protect themselves over protecting the public. And unfortunately now is that the officers involved in the case, but the supervisors who don't do anything about it. And went to the local prosecutor and she said, we asked them, like who watches the watchmen, right, like who police the police? And her response was, well, they do their own investigation, that they bring it to us, then we'll pursue it. So I'm like, oh, you get to grade your own paper and guess what, they always get an eight plus and then they.
Speaker 4: And they never get to go to the principal's office.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they never turn away from it. So I'm like, so they are complicit with that too, and that just erodes like confidence, and it hurts, hurts the good officers who are doing their job because of bad officers get promoted, and it affects the culture and like at every level. And that's some of the hardest parts of this. Like you can understand, like there's the kidnappers, aren't you know, quote bad people, or there's people out there who want hurt or have power in that way, that's easier to understand than the quote the good people doing the bad things. And then not again, not having any sort of safeguard for that, they can just do that to you. And again, we're lucky that we had the resources financially and the support systems that with our friends and family. And then a few months later when the kidnappers attacked another family, which is even more of the tragedy because you when you falsely accuse or wrongly convict people, you let the real perpetrator go. And so he was emboldened to attack another family. And thankfully there was detective on our first case connected him to our crime. And that's why we were proven innocent. We were not not guilty, because it's one thing to be like, well, yeah they're still a little shady, but we're you know, we can't prove it, but they probably did it because for whatever reason they thought. But we're actually just proven innocent, which is so rare.
Speaker 3: And yeah, she made the hero wall. When I was watching her in the documentary, she was amazing. So there are there are They're not all bad, like there are no good ones doing the work, but it's really hard for them to do good work because they have to wade through.
Speaker 4: So much bullshit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Misty the detective was has told us that she had people not like vallejoll went call her back. There's like lack of communication, like everyone's like territorial and like it's almost like pissing matches, like it's like that childish. And she was really disheartened that way because she thought, hey, we're all in here, let's let's catch this guy, Like let's do the right thing, Like this is man is break into people's homes in the middle night he was he's raping people like, this is a really dangerous person. This is not This is not someone who was doing like selling drugs because they had no other way to make money or that or that's what they grew up with. He was trained, he's a Harvard lawyer. Lawyer or trained at Harvard law.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This man had like a lot of privilege in his life. He just he's a pretor and you want he wanted to attack people and do it and he's a careful and patient criminal.
Speaker 3: Did he do did the next family what he'd done? You like, like, does it seem like he stalked them, knew about their lives?
Speaker 2: And I don't, Uh, I don't know if the stocking was as long, or if they if there was a specific reason that he targeted targeted them other than maybe just the location of their house. I think it was near a fire road, so that's where he escaped out of. But I don't, I don't know exactly.
Speaker 4: Did you guys ever get an answered as to why you.
Speaker 2: No, not a definitive answer. No. And again it's it's the I can't trust the investigation, so you know they've completely missed the opportunity to catch him even after I was released. Maybe they didn't rescue me, but they had the calls trace them to Southlake Tahoe. They didn't. From all the police reports we looked at, including the FBI report, there's no indication that they actually investigated. And again they attacked another family. And even after that, so our attorneys were writing the Department of Justice to say, we need new investigators, like this is there The lead FBI agent had had a prior relationship with Aaron's X, so there's a conflict of interest. You know, there's clearly people's judgments are are we can't trust them? Yeah, But then we had the djsa, it's not our problem and it's not a problem, and they can stay on the case, and we're like, how, I mean, just the.
Speaker 4: It makes you feel crazy?
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean you really do. Like I was like, is this my twilight zone? And I literally go crazy, like this can't be a reality.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like it just feels so black and white what is right and what is wrong? And for people to be like, but this is just the way it is. You're like so wrong, Like oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got a lot of people in that position. Being like, oh, I've worked you know, law enforcement for twenty years. I'm the professional, and just like what, I don't know what you've been doing, but that scares me. Yeah, definitely, if you're if you're considered the best.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, they were. We were told often this is like how things are done. And then my brother is better. My brother's one of the smartest people I know. And like, I know a lot of colleague colleagues who are like dedicades smart agents, and we just happen to get frankly, just incompetent and shitty agents on the They aren't they're not equipped to investigate a case like this or that's not what their history was, and they shive got more help. But they would tell us like this is how things are done, Like well, actually, I know these aren't how things are done, and if if this is how it's done, then like we should probably change, like uh, and we're not expecting like law enforcem be infallible. It's really hard to solve cases. People make mistakes, but like you need to like upgrade and like evolve and like and not just like sit there and be like but yeah, this is okay, this is acceptable that we didn't do our job and then protect themselves. And that's incredibly frustrating to be in that field, Like we work in the medical field. Like you know, in the medical field, we used to lobotomies, like we did some terrible stuff, but we don't do those anymore because you learn from it. So like any professionals should learn and change. And like even the city of LeHo, the police department said they didn't make any procedural changes after this case, and so they don't want to learn and they rather blame us. And that's part of the reason why we keep telling our stories that. Yeah, again, the justice Department can like railroad people, and from outside you might go like, well they you know, they they're professionals, they investigated, like but you start digging deeper and you probably know more than us. Is like that, there's a lot of times where they just don't do their job and then they but they have someone in custody, so then that person becomes a scapegoat and people you know, listeners and stuff will probably serve on jury. Like you should understand, like just because on the officer said this person confess, Like, well, how was that confession done? Was it?
Speaker 2: Was?
Speaker 1: It actually backed up on evidence, like how many hours was that person put there? Like you need that all recorded because they leave you alone in a small room, air conditioning on, like no warmth, like I didn't get like you don't having food even if you're hungry, like you're away from your family. They just like they literally put you in a box and then keep going at you like we're mentioning earlier. So if someone confesses, and most confessions happen after like six hours, so someone they go like, oh, they confessed at hour twelve, then I don't give a shit what that Like, why they take twelve hours? Like do some actual investigation. Then people should really be skeptical of like what law enforcement's saying, because we are innocent till proven guilty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And even reviewing a lot of the court documents, the AffA David and the police reports, just seeing how much the narrative is manipulated in what they write and how they write. It's it distorts the truth definitely. And I think I saw one officer's summary and was like, oh, Okay, this is actually objective, But that was out of dozens of things that I've read from the officers. So it's it's a little.
Speaker 4: There's always a lot of context missing.
Speaker 3: I mean, even when if you're just talking about confessions alone, maybe there's a lot of it recorded now in twenty twenty four, but when we started getting recorded confessions, even we work on so many cases that are older, what I see more often than not is we get twenty minutes of them saying that they did it in this like perfect story. And then what we don't get is the eighteen twelve whatever hours that led up to that, and the thirty five times they said I didn't do it, I didn't do it, I didn't do it.
Speaker 4: And I even had a.
Speaker 3: Case recently where they would like start the confession and something would go wrong. He's like, oh nop, we're gonna pause, We're gonna rewind the tape and like start again.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what people don't realize it's not just a confession, it's a rewriting of the confession. So they won't the auficers won't just take a confession. They'll go they will make it or as they were telling me, let's start over, so this story makes sense. And that is not uncommon that they go the person starts, not they don't know the details because they're falsely confessing and go, oh stop, let's add that detail because then they know when they get to trial. I think this person only knows details that perpetrator would know. But they fed them and if they don't record it before, you don't see the feeding of it. So it is a rewriting of it, and that it is hard for people to understand. Even the Central Park five case they had, they use five different confessions to convict all five boys. Uh, and they made one person he had to give them multiple different confessions to tie them all together. So that obviously went hold up if you compare him side to side.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: But the officers know that. And then again that's like they know confessions get convictions, and that needs to change because we're the only country that allows officers, like developed country allows officers to lie to the suspect. So they will continue to lie to you.
Speaker 3: I'm like, we've got your fingerprints, we've got your DNA, and they'll stay that.
Speaker 2: You made light of victims lie to family members like in our case.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and so like the only thing that the police officer said that was truthful to me was that they didn't believe me. I would. Yeah, that's the only thing that they said was truthful.
Speaker 3: When you guys, so you are one of the lucky ones that not only did you fight it and win, but you got proved to be innocent. What was life like right after that? I mean, did you dive headfirst into all this advocacy you've done or did you was there a moment where you just kind of like had to get your feet on the ground again.
Speaker 2: Oh no, It's been an almost nine and a half year journey. Initially, you know, it was about us trying to get all the information to defend ourselves because we were preparing to go to court and because they were threatening us with prosecution. And then uh, you know, my captain and rapist is caught for that other crime and then it's okay, let's focus on making sure he gets the largest sentence that he deserves to protect to victims. And so you know, in that three years of that criminal case and then our civil lawsuit, we were still silent and I was definitely not on social media because I was getting death threats and just hateful I just the worst things that people can say, and it's just all over the board, Like my looks and who I am. And it's just.
Speaker 4: Even after people knew that you didn't.
Speaker 2: Do it, Yeah, and then there was still the doubt. So that's the thing, you know, they say something immediately and they put it out publicly, and that's they plants that seed of doubt. And so people, because they believe so hardly about that, they don't want to let that go because they don't want to be like, oh wow, I was so wrong and I was so hateful with my incorrect information. So some people really like just hold on to it. Yeah, And I mean it took me a year to go back to work, one because I didn't know people would recognize me. And two I didn't know if I was capable. I mean, and it's one thing to like have something awful, it is violent crime, but have the whole world attack you have the people an authority that you're supposed to turn to for help attack you. It really makes you feel terrified to even like really enter life in society again. So it was again, it was just a really long journey. But along the way, you know, again, Aaron's brothers an FBI and so we learned a lot. We learned from other survivors and paying attention to these other stories, going oh my gosh, like it wasn't a one off. This isn't a couple bad apples and a bad orchard and Vallejo like this, this happens way way too often. I think we were watching confession tapes or something on Netflix way back then, and Aaron was able to predict verbatim what the investigator was going to say because it was all the script. You know, I'm going to pay you as a cold calculator. You fail this miserably, Like it's just all these and so that's what was really disheartening to see how common it was, and that's where we're like, okay, well this needs to change, and when we're ready, we want to speak publicly. But then also because of how misconstrued everything was in the media, we knew, okay, like, we can't trust putting our story out there through that medium unless all the information's out there. So we focused then on writing a book and that was several years of finding the right person, and then again we did the docu series. It was released earlier this year, but we you know, started with one production company decided no, that's not working, and then with this one We really made them work hard to show us that their goals were aligned with ours and it wasn't about just sensationalizing the event itself. But what's the bigger picture issues? Because you know, sad, anyone can be a victim of a crime, but you don't really know all the challenges you're going to face unless you're in it. And then when you're in it, you're traumatized and you're just like swim, you know.
Speaker 3: And how do you guys think now about trying to tackle some of those issues, Because it would be really easy if there was just one right where we could just be like, if we just fix this one thing. But it's sometimes can feel overwhelming because it feels like there are so many of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our case seems like this, I don't know, perfect storm of so many different issues, you know, the biases against women and not believing women. And I mean on the FBI affid David, it said my start exam showed quote no signs of non consensual sex, even though I told them I didn't fight back physically because I was bound, I was blindfolded, I was held in a remote location. My life was threatened, his life was threatened. You know, so it's kind of like, well, of course I'm not going to have like physical, egregious injuries. But there was evidence in the start exam that indicated that an assault did happen or intercourse did happen within that like twenty four to forty eight hour period before, and that uh, there was bruce from him dropping me, and I mean there was consistency in what they found in the in the start exam to what I was saying. And of course the police never used that.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of aspects in our case that reach across culture, our current culture. For us, it's just trying to focus on it because there's so many worthy causes and we can't do it all right, So, I mean, you just don't have the like even the emotional capacity to to do this, you know, abc D you have to kind of focus on that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, one one organization we paid attention to early on was the Joyful Heart Foundation, which was they were working on ending the backlog of rape tests, because that was something that was so insulting to me. You know, they like say that this thing didn't happen. I have to take this four hour long start exam, wondering the whole time if they're going to use this against me because I didn't fight back, So I'm like, what are they going to find? What are they not going to You know, there was a female FBI in the room that I never talked to, was just like watching this, it just was all very You mean, you have to do it within forty eight hours of being being attacked is like one of the most exposing and vulnerable things you could do being a victim of assault. And then they just kind of they didn't use it. You know. Six months later, we're talking to the AUSA and I'm asking him where's my start exam? And he's kind of looking around the room, going like, Oh, I don't know. Wasn't it so important that I get this done? Or was this just again like the light detector test deploy to see, Yeah, let's just degrade her and demean her as much as we can. I mean that's just what it feels like, right. So Yeah, there's like with us, it's complicated because even going through the court process, we see how many rights are the kidnapper, Matthew Mueller, how many rights he had compared to us, Like he represented himself at one point he was able to watch the rape videos. He had videoed me while he assaulted me, so he's able to rewatch it, and he in the preliminary hearing he had the right to cross examine me and Aaron, and it was only because he chose not to. But I'm sitting up there the whole time answering the most humiliating questions with the prosecutor in front of you know, media, my family about the details of the assaults. My assailant is watching me as I'm giving this description, and I don't know if he's then going to cross examine me, and then he goes, oh, no, I'm not going to, like, oh, thank you, You're the hero now, you know. But it was so it was a lot to realize how little rights we had as victims. But at the same time, I do believe, because we were suspects, that suspects need to have rights as well. So that's another thing that I learned about was Marcy's Law, and that organization is working to try to make amendments to each state's constitution to add a bill of rights for victims and some of the things I've when I was researching it, you know, the critics kind of saying, well, no, if you if you give victims rights, and that's going to take away the rights of the suspect. And I'm like, well, how that just because you name rights for one group of people doesn't mean that you're taking away the rights of other people, you know, within reason, right, But like these things are like treat victims with respect and decency, keep them informed, make sure that they're protected, and they have a level of privacy, like really basic, like basic stuff, but like we have to put that in. And what was really discouraging too was to realize that California has one of the most extensive amendments for victims, but in our case, it wasn't implemented. So if the people on the field don't believe in this or maybe don't know it, but if they're not implementing it, then what power does it have. So you know, those are just you know, And then we've been paying attention to the Innocence Project and like watching case after case, you know, the confession tapes and other like making a murder, you know, all these things where you're like seeing the trend. And now that the series is out, we've had the pleasure of being able to speak in front of groups of law enforcement for interrogations or in dealing with sexual assault, and we tell them, you know, we understand. We're all human, we're fallible. We work in the medical field. We make mistakes, so we see that it happens. But what's really important, especially if you're working with people, human beings, especially going through a trauma and that come to you for help, you need to be able to self reflect. You need to be able to say, how could I do better? And name it. Okay, we made this mistake. Now let's figure out how to yeah, just to change and to help protect people better.
Speaker 3: We get a lot of shit on the show because like we talk about a lot of the things that go wrong, Like we're not usually talking about a case on Crime Junkie if everything went right.
Speaker 4: And what I keep saying is I was, like, there are a lot of great people. I've worked with a lot of great people.
Speaker 3: But like if you exactly what you're saying, if you don't talk about what went wrong, and if you don't analyze what could have been better, like how nothing will ever change ever And it's not about like necessarily even like tearing any one individual or anything apart. Sometimes they deserve it, but I like, I just don't expect like this band of brotherhood kind of thing right where it's just like like no, like like we got to talk about when it goes.
Speaker 2: Bad, right we It's like we have to be able to have this conversation, yeah, or.
Speaker 4: I don't trust you?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So, what are the some of the cases that you guys have gotten involved with, because I'm my understanding is you guys have the kind of like not only are you working with these bigger organizations, but are there some cases that you guys are really paying attention to right now?
Speaker 2: I mean I think we pay attention to a lot. We noticed a lot. There's also a balance of it can be a little overwhelming, you know, to to still try to navigate because this is our whole life, right Like we've got two young kids. We've got a two and a four year old, which are amazing and they h it takes a lot of better.
Speaker 3: I have one two and a half year old and my whole life, which is great.
Speaker 2: It's like that's what I do want to put my focus on, right And we're still working as physical therapists and advocating for our patients, and so a big part of this and advocating is using your voice. And so it's been a long journey to find out who we can trust to help us amplify our voice so then we can talk about these serious issues. Because what's helped us over the years is hearing from other survivors and seeing them speak out against all odds, and so it makes us think, Okay, well then let's do that. Let's let's turn our pain into purpose and keep this conversation going. And so that's kind of where we're at right now is again we're able to speak in front of law enforcement, which is what we've always wanted to do. You know, we're not at them. We want to work with them and advocating for survivors of sexual assaults because there was so there's still it's just so sad, like twenty twenty four, there's still this misconception about women, how they should behave, what's their fault, what's not their fault, And we do it to ourselves too, because that is so entrenched in our culture that it's really easy to self blame. And you know, and as we've spoken out, I have to recognize sometimes that I need help again, you know, so I've gone back to therapy, and that's another thing I want to advocate for because it's been such a huge help for us in this whole process.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think with law enforcement, there's also a lot of law enforcement law do better, and like for me, a big part is just trying and advocate for different types of interrogation and get away from this idea of like confessions are the goal. It really should be gain information. So there's models like the Peace model, which is more of a journalistic approach where you're just gathering information from the person you're talking to and you're not center trying to say you're not in a guilt presumptive mindset, which is what happened to me. And that's based off the read technique or Battie is another version. It's a cousin of reed, and that read is the most commonly used interrogation technique in the world, and.
Speaker 2: Antis with law enforcement, they teach corporation.
Speaker 1: Corporations and schools. Yeah, so you will use this technique. I'll put technique in quotes or its method against children. And the problem with it is that even the read technique started front in the late nineteen forties early nineteen fifties, after police weren't unable to beat suspects into confessions, they figure out how can we psychologically pressure them.
Speaker 4: I would say it's torture.
Speaker 1: And John Reid in the fifty early fifties got confession from a man and end up being a false confession. It was overturned seventeen years later, but that was a basics It starts this whole thing. That starts a whole and then that makes READ popular. So the problem with READ is it can get confessions that can also get false confessions. And so the case that made it popular was already based off false confession and it was just some detective from Chicago making this method up. There's not so there's not really any science behind it. So now there are other like HIG will do where it's more of a science based interrogation technique. So bring in psychologists, bring in like other disciplines to help the officers understand those pressures, because I don't think they really understand what type of pressure they're doing. And that's another reason why we talked to law enforcement is that they don't get much follow up with the interact with someone during the worst potential. One of the worst moments of their life, which is got to be hard day after day to be interacting with people that way. But they don't get to follow up on cases. They don't hear from the other side. So when we speak, we're just trying to give them a sense of what it's like to be gained railroad by like when they turn that machinery turns on you. So that hopefully if they run and ta a case where it's you know, maybe it sounds a little bizarre, a little strange to them, that they don't just rush to judgment and have the confirmation bias some tunnel vision. They can think of our case and pause and go like, well, what if you know, let's look at X, Y, and Z and not just focus on this one route. And because we have to do at the ground level, right, they're the ones interacting a day day basis. So that's one of the things we hope for that get away from this because it's awful.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love that you guys are going and speaking to them because I think that's where so much change can actually happen. I think one of the things I was most surprised by as I really got into this world and dealing with law enforcement is that there was no standard, like there is no standard training to be an investigator across You're really only as good as the guy before you that trained you. And when you think about I mean as you guys, as doctors of physical therapy, I mean the amount of training that you had to do, education you had to do continued I know, and I worked in a hospital for a long time.
Speaker 4: There's continued medical education. And because you guys have.
Speaker 3: People's lives in your hands, right, which is important, and these people have people's lives in their hands, and.
Speaker 4: We crossed our fingers and hope they got trained, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah. One of the talks that we gave it was for science based interrogation, so it was about improving interrogation tactics. And we sat in for a couple of the talks and some of the psychologists were talking and we're like, oh, thank god, there's a psychologist in the room. But certain things were so basic that we're like do we learned this in PT school? Like how is this revolutionary? How is this a thing right now that's being taught. So it was like it's a bittersweet situation and going okay, well, at least someone's doing it and they are having these conferences and this type of training, but then it was equally as infuriating, So like, why weren't we treated this way? And why is this not something that is being done? And yeah, why do they have to fight to get people to buy into it? Yeah? I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: There's one message you have for the law enforcement that listens to our show and the survivors who listen to our show.
Speaker 4: What would each of those messages be?
Speaker 2: I think with law enforcement really is just recognize that we all have different biases. We've all grown up having our own life experiences that shape who we are and how we see the world and the people in it, and so kind of recognizing some of those judgments that you might have and trying to keep an open mind and self reflect It's okay that you make a mistake, but let's just try to learn from it and encourage that not just from yourself, but your peers, the people you work with as well. For survivors, I mean, the biggest thing is just always believe in yourself. You know, when you have people consistently trying to gaslight you and tell you what you experienced either a didn't happen or isn't that bad? It can? It really is re traumatizing, and it makes the healing that much harder, and so it's easy to give in and just believe that. And God, if we didn't believe in ourselves, we wouldn't be here and doing the work that we're doing. So that's a big thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for me, to pay back off what Denise said with law enforcement the idea, I think sometimes law enforcement thinks they're being objective and they're trying their best to be objective, but no one actually can be objective, Like you need to reco regardless of who you are, there's always some sort of bias that you are either conscious of or unconscious of. No one is strictly objective. We see the world through our own lens. So you need to if you're a law enforceming, you recognize that you cannot is impossible to be fully objective. So you should put a lot of different safeguards to try to be as objective as possible. And that means bringing other people and for survivors as he needs to saying, like believe in yourself, find help, like find the people that you can trust that will not necessarily not necessarily even try to provide answers, but we'll just listen. There's a big part of like just having someone who will be there for you and for myself. I used to think I could just handle stuff I would like try to avoid, like burning my parents with distress or my friends, because I'm like, I'll just handle it, I can do it on my own, and that didn't work out, Like you can't, like you need and being such a life altering trauma, I've realized that I need like to go to my friends and my family and therapists, and we've moved done years and years of therapy, but have that trusted group that could go to and help lift me up. And that's really important to find those people in your lives because we all go through different variations of trauma. It doesn't have to be a kidnapping, it doesn't have to be like this extreme, but people have stuff that happens in their lives and we need the help of our close ones to heal from it and integrate it, because you can't actually just move on, like there's sometimes people say just forget about move on, but you can't. You have to learn how to integrate this into your life because it's part of you, and it's part of it's going to impact your decisions either either you like it or not. It's a little bit like your shadow. It's always there. You can be aware of it or not. And so by again help from other people, I have helped me integrate it to make something positive out of it, and that will be a continued thing. It's never there's no end to this, it's just different levels of it.
Speaker 3: Well, you guys, I think are like a beautiful example to survivors of what life can be if you put in the work, what life can be. Afterwards, I said, you didn't see this on your Bingo card for life? Did you get other good surprises like things you did see coming on your Bingo card or things you didn't? I mean, you guys are you both are now practicing right in physical therapy, You've got a family, you.
Speaker 4: Obviously got married.
Speaker 2: After this, life does move forward, you know. So it's nice that we were able to still have all those joys, that we were able to stay together as a couple. Again, a large part of that was the people in our lives that helped support us. And yeah, I mean we were able to return to our careers and we started this beautiful family, and now we get to meet with people and have these connections with other survivors or again in law enforcement, that we can share and use such a horrible thing to maybe do something better for other people who aren't as lucky as we are, who might not have all the resources, or who were still threatened into silence, that we can at least we can keep the conversation at least going and see if something can change.
Speaker 3: And thank you for doing that. I mean, you guys have every right to go live your lives and not do anything and take care of yourselves, and I think it's really beautiful what you guys are doing.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Thank you, yeah, thank you, and thank you for coming on here. It was wonderful to meet you and for sharing your story. I think it will touch a lot of people, so I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thank you, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: All Right, everyone, don't forget to follow this show and add it to your library, and don't forget to follow Crying Jankie. We have a brand new episode the last Friday of every month, but if you can't wait until then, you can head to Crime Junkie Radio on the serious xmat for your twenty four to seven true crime fix, and you can follow me Ashley Flowers on Instagram and Ashley Flowers Crime Junkie on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Crime Junkie a