Speaker 1: With the Lucky land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. No, no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, so I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Are you at fist pumper, a wooer, a handclap or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait. Start having the most fun ever. At Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 4: We're just necessary Dally Revoidmber Everyboy Loss. You're reading Fading Lay.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 6: Good Evening. Bill Kimberlin, doctor of Psychology, invites the reader on an extensive and unbiased journey inside Ohio's death Row and Watch Me Die. Last Words from death Row. You will see how these inmates think, as Kimberland not only spends time interview them, but also each meals with them and in some cases is the last person to speak with them before they are executed. From the moment they are placed on suicide watch until the moment they are pronounced dead right in front of them, Kimberlin will walk you through the twisted and complex execution process in the state of Ohio. Watch Me Die presents an unbiased look at the realities of death Row in Ohio and America as a whole. This book is much more than an argument about the death penalty. Instead, Kimberlin exposes the harsh truth of what it's like to be on death row, counting the days until your own execution, as told to him by those who have lived it with no physical or mental restraints. Kimberland's conversations earn the trust of many high level and violent offenders. He shares with the reader. These unfiltered and honest thoughts from people staring in the face of death. Their writings, their artwork, and their own words will put the reader in the room with these dangerous killers. Nothing is off limits, and there is nothing to shield Kimberland from the same hands that have taken countless lives, leaving Kimberland himself asking will this be my last trip to death Row? In this newly revised edition of Watch Me Die, Bill Kimberland takes the reader on a more intimate journey into death Row than ever before. This edition includes where are They Now? Section, updating the reader on which inmates have faced their execution, which inmates are still counting their days, and who else has asked Kimberland to watch them die. The book they're featuring this evening is Watch Me Die. Last Words from Death Row with my special guests, journalist and author Bill Kimberland. Welcome to the program, and thank you again once again for this interview. Bill Kimberland, welcome back.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you so much. It's an honor to be back on your show. Dan. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 6: It's a thrill because, as I mentioned before, if we are looking for a unique true crime book and perspective, this is it. And we haven't well surprised. We haven't spoken to since May twenty sixteen, so it's been a long time. And as you said, there's been a lot of things in this journey in the last five years, even more so. So let's go with this new book and what's contained in it. You have this nine chapters or so, tell us give us the breakdown of what's contained in this book Watch Me Die. Last words from Death Row.
Speaker 4: Sure, so the book Watched Me Die. The original aspect of the book was to take people through Ohio's death Row and to try to explain to them the process of what an individual and inmate goes through being on death row all the way through their execution. Fast forward to now. After witnessing several executions and having five or six at least five or six more executions that I've been asked to attend, not just in Ohio but elsewhere. It kind of brings people up to speed as to where Ohio sits with the death penalty, the controversy is going on those that are facing up and coming executions and my interactions with them as well.
Speaker 6: Right, so give us the breakdown of these chapters if you could for us.
Speaker 4: So, I think the beginning of it is the prelude of to myself going into the execution chamber, and it literally walks you through what the process is all about, from the moment they prep you to the moment that you're pronounced dead, and what it feels like for me anyways, as a person going in there, watching another human being executed, their life taken and right in front of you, whom you've just spoken to, perhaps maybe thirty minutes before so. And then the book goes on to talk about different inmates and different chapters on the basic background of what brought them to death row, the murders that they had committed. Every one of them in the book have confessed to me their murders as well as some other ones. So none of these individuals that were executed or that will be executed, have ever maintained that they were innocent by any means. And then there's other chapters that go into the actual death row protocols, the processes, the methods, the fact that here in the United States, since we still have the death penalty, a lot of states are either revising their protocol or their methods. In Ohio's is one of them. Other states have abolished them altogether. Some states like California have putten the moratorium on them. So there's other champions that discuss that, and then it winds up talking about those that are facing their own demise on Ohio's execution table and or firing squad, because now that's what we're looking to implement in the state of Ohio, either lethal gas or the firing squad if in fact, we can no longer obtain the lethal drugs used to put these individuals to death.
Speaker 6: Incredible. Let's start with your first chapter and how did it all begin? Did you decide to study death row and why?
Speaker 4: You know, it's kind of a crazy story, but I was teaching at the university level, my doctorate being in psychology, so a lot of the classes that I would teach would be abnormal psychology, social psychology, things of that nature. And we always discussed a lot of the hot topic debatable issues here in this country, so gun rights, legalization of abortion, uh, legalization of drugs, and then of course capital punishment. Well, I'd been fortunate enough to travel to a lot of different countries, so I knew a lot about the drug laws. My family and I I've grown up around guns hunted all my life in you know, Canada, the US, all over uh. So I felt comfortable teaching on that. I had counseled various females that have went through the abortion process, so I felt comfortable there. But every time the discussion came up about capital punishment, I felt that I just wasn't knowledgeable enough to speak as an educator on that topic. So when I started researching it, I found out that the overwhelming majority of people out there had never been to death row, let alone witnessed an execution. So one of my really good friends is a common police call judge, and he gave me the name of the Attorney General's office number in the name of the Attorney General of Ohio at the time, so I gave them a call to see if I could, I don't know, be placed on a lottery to go see an execution or whatever. I did. That's how naive I was. And after they hung up on me and I called back, they, you know, they felt bad for me because they had never really had that question posed to them before. So they were able to explain to me that in the Ohio Revised Code, it outlines exactly who can and cannot witness an execution, so only three people are on each side, the dependent side and then on the prosecution state side. Victims are allowed to witness an execution. But they said, we'll send you the Ohio Advice Code. If you find any loopholes, we'll send you also the list of inmates scheduled Tony and good luck. So they sent me that information. I researched it. I penned a few letters to these guys, and next thing you know, I'm on death row, which I only ever intended to go one or two times, just so I could teach about it and say that I'd been there experienced at firsthand. It wasn't book knowledge only, and I would feel comfortable doing it. And lo and behold, here we are today, and I'm still doing it.
Speaker 6: You talk about the visits and the conditions under which you're able to visit these inmates, these dangerous killers on death row with as you say, nothing to lose. Maybe people are very surprised, what, as you write, what are some of the conditions in which this dangerous person and you are able to visit.
Speaker 4: So when I go and visit these individuals, and I'll use Ohio's example mainly because that's what this book is about. Other states are different, some are even more free visitation wise. But there are no handcuffs, there are no shackles. We're not divided by plexiglass, and I have to speak on the phone. We get to sit at a picnic table on death Row and we can eat and drink whatever is in the vending machines. There's microwaves there. We can heat up sandwiches or pieces or whatever, candy, whatever they want, and we can discuss freely everything and anything. Very rarely are there guards around. They'll, you know, they'll come by. They'll take pictures of us together if we so desire. As it gets closer to the execution than one of the inmates, I was with him for eight hours, just right alone there on Death Row, up and down freely, walking and talking for you know, eight hours straight. We got to order meals delivered to the prison and everything else. So it's it's not like you see on TV. They do like to present to the media and to the public watching it that it's a very safe and secure environment, but when you're there one on one, it's nothing could be further from the truth, because like I've had inmates, and I think it's outlined in the last chapter the book, one Innate in particular, he flat out told me that, you know, the guards will let anybody come into death Row to visit. We decide if you get to go home or not, because it's their house. So that's, uh, you know that rings true. It's a there's a there's a lot of respect that I give these guys and they in turn expect me, and uh so then I've been able to do it for years and years now because I've never disrespected him and I've never sold any of them out.
Speaker 6: You talk about Chris Newton, and this is a Mansfield inmate and is related to in marriage to your friend who's a prosecutor.
Speaker 4: So tell us a time, please judge now, Yeah, so yeah, He's related to Judge Roger Bennett, who through marriage just was a cousin of his. And uh, when I was going through the process of trying to figure out who I should contact on death row, He's like, you know, why don't you just rate Chris and and see what he says. And I'm like, Chris, who's Chris? And then he explained to me who he was. And he turned out to be one of the most man How do I even explain it? He was very He was not your normal person by any means that you can imagine at all. He only looked forward to his execution. He's the only person I've ever come across it couldn't wait to be executed. And he just knew he could not live in society and he hated prison. So what he did was told the guards at one time that the gangs were after him, so he needed to be put in protective custody. They said, fine, Newton, will take you to PC protective custody. He said, I'm walking down PC. They're trying to figure out who's going to be my selling. He said, I was looking for somebody a week and young that would be easy to kill. He said, so I spotted somebody, he said. I told the guard that dude and I we were bunkies before U sell me with him and the guards I find whatever. And this guy was short term. He was set to be released within the year, and he said that night he told him he's like you and I were going to have sex tonight, and the guy said, no, last I don't think so it s that's not what I do. And Newton told me that's exactly what he needed to hear. So when the guy went to sleep, he took the band out of his sweatpants, the rope, and he strangled him, which he thought strangled him to death, but he said it didn't happen that easy. And then he even asked me, have you ever strangled him by to death? You realize how hard it is. I'm like, no, I got to be honest with you. I've never strangled anyone to death, and he said, well, let me tell you it's hard. He said next saying, I know this guy's gasping, so I just started beating and when I started beating him, the blood went everywhere. When the blood started going everywhere, it just turned him on sexually. So he killed him and stripped down, masturbated all over him, and then ate his dinner. I ate a pair and waited the guards to show up the next morning, and they did. And of course you're sitting there thinking, because you have to keep a straight face, you don't want these guys thinking that you're judging them. And I'm thinking, okay, is he really telling me the truth or e bellishing? Because again I'm new with this. And the next thing I know, after his execution, he signed his case file over to me, and I have the videos from the prison of the pictures of the scene and everything, and sure enough he was not exaggerating at all.
Speaker 6: He also note a funny occurrence, I guess humorous when a caseworker comes in and admonishes him for chewing tobacco and says he could write them up for that, And you say, the look on Chris's face was priceless. What else does he do and say in response?
Speaker 4: So he did not like this particular case manager that was on death row. And what they're responsible for is take any grievances I believe, and you know, give them their visitation list and things like that. So when we're sitting in this room that because this was maybe days before his execution. He and I were sitting in there in the case major comes walking in. Of course, Chris Newton was chewing tobacco at the time, and he looks right at Newton and he says, Newton, you realize that I can write you up for that, right And he of course he interrupted us talking, which Chris did not appreciate, so he just stopped dead in his tracks and he looked right at him. He's like, yeah, and you do realize that I'm scheduled to die in a couple of days and I will kill you right now, So help me God if you don't get the hell out of here, because I have nothing to lose and everything the game, because I've hated you since day one. And the guy just looked at me and he says he's all yours and turned and left. I'm like, well, geez, thanks.
Speaker 6: So, yeah, you have people in there you call inside sources, and these are people give that are inmates that have introduced you to other inmates. You have a reputation in there, and you touched on how you deal with these people to gain their trust because they are imparting to you incredible information that they likely didn't impart even to their attorneys or anyone else, and then asking you to come and witness their execution. So tell us more about some of the inmates that you did meet and some of the things that you noticed that were characteristic of all of these people regardless.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I've been very fortunate in that aspect that because inmates they talk amongst one another, and when they hear that, they're somebody reliable, and apparently I'm one of those guys to them anyways that isn't going to go out and talk to the media, sell their artwork, sell their signatures, because there's a lot of money to be made on death rope. Then all of a sudden they consider me a stand up guy, so then they reach out to me, And then in turn, what I've realized over the years is what it takes is a lot of time and patience with these individuals. So I might interview these guys for weeks and months before I ever even get into what they actually did or how many murders they committed or anything like that, because I've found that the least amount of questions you ask, the more they'll tell you. And so the next thing, you know, they'll start confessing other murders to me. A couple of them have, anyways working with another serial killer right now who's working on some maps to locations in the state of Ohio, and I think he's convicted of three or five already right now. So they'll start divulging this information to me without me even really asking, because they know that I'm not going out there trying to sell their information or anything. So yeah, it's it's been different in that aspect as well, because I would have never expected that in my entire life that these killers, whom I kind of describe as dangerously normal because they don't have serial killer tattooed on their forehead. They don't have you know, they don't. They don't appear other than somebody like Chris Newton. They don't normally appear to be bad people, but they really really are. I mean, somebody like Samuel Little, who is suspected of killing ninety three. He started out in Ohio and he reached out to me, did not look like a bad person at all, but based on what he's done.
Speaker 6: Talk about in this book, the most evil human being you have ever sat down with in your entire life now that's that's quite the introduction. And this is williams Sap. Yeah, tell us about the first contract contact that you had with him, and just that communication.
Speaker 4: That was all so William Yeah, So William Sap again, very interesting person to talk to. Does not appear to be this vicious serial killer, mass murder and type that you would stereotypically see in the media or news outlets or anything like that. Out of the blue one day, I think it was just after witnessing an execution. The following week, he writes me this letter and it's got cartoons. He's a good artist, and so the whole envelopes painted up with cartoons. And I did is this letter from a guy that I had never heard of before introducing himself to me, saying that he didn't want to interfere with the person I had been talking to until after his execution, but however he had heard about me, and if I really wanted to talk to somebody who was a real natural born killer, meaning he thinks he was born this way, if I can handle it, come and see him. Not too many people have been able to handle him though, just so you know, And that's how he put it in the letter. So of course that intrigued me, and I went and I visited with William Sap and we have been in constant communication since, and he is probably still to this day, the most evil, vile killer that I've ever come face to face with, and I've come in contact with countless numbers.
Speaker 6: Now you talk about numbers of suspected killing, he says that people have said that he's suspected of killing seven. He says, you say, he's very matter of fact and not emotional whatsoever, But he says, look, as you have to have proof. He never forget a murder. He says, I've killed fifty people. I can prove exacty people. Yeah, you talked about souvenirs too. People keep souvenirs like watches and jewelry. He kept other souvenirs, and he had other darker interest than murder.
Speaker 4: Even yes, you know, he was very matter of fact and in fact, some of the agents that I was dealing with at the time, the FBI had devised me a couple of questions to ask him because I do have some maps to other victims of his, and he when I went in to see him the very first time, in fact, the guards couldn't believe I was coming to see him. He didn't really have very many visitors. But you know, they said, hey, you know, we hear he's good for seventy seventy five murders. What do you think. I'm like, I don't think anything. I had never sat down and discussed anything with him. Plus, I don't like to normally talk to the guards a whole lot because if the inmates see you talking to the guards, and that looks very suspicious, which could be very unhealthy for me. So we sat down, we were eating and drinking and talking about the weather and politics everything. So then I just threw it out there. I said, hey, I hear you're good for like seventy and again he just stopped it very flat affect, and he said, what who told you that? I said, you know, word is if you're good for like seventy murders, that's true. And he's like, no, not at all. He's like, I killed fifty people if I would have killed seventy, And where I would own up to that? He said, because anybody that's ever taken a human life, they never forget that person. And I can prove to you that I killed fifty people no more. He's like, when you kill a human being, he'll never forget their face. You'll never forget doing it. I enjoy doing it. I remember everything about him. I've kept things from them, he said. And I never really killed everybody that I raped. I said, well, what would determine whether you killed the person or not? He said, if they started praying to God, or if they told me something like you can't kill me because I have kids and I have a husband, then you're dead automatically. He said, don't ever tell me no, and don't ever pray to God. He's like, there's plenty of people I raped and I let go. I even asked him one time, if I were to bring his children he has two kids, in to see him because he has not seen them since he's been on death room, what would you say to him? And he stopped, looked me dead in the eyes. He said, I wouldn't say anything. He said, I'd probably kill them. He said why, He said, they should have never had my last name. He said, I regretted that since they won, I should have killed them to begin with. So if they ever came in here, he said, I'd probably kill him. And that's his own kids.
Speaker 6: Now, despite your disgust, you don't let on that. Do you have this disdain for these people that you don't judge them? But what was your goal in all of this correspondence with him? You talked about these maps, but what was your goal?
Speaker 4: My goal was to finally bring some closure to some of these families out there that have lost a loved one, whether it be a sister, a mother, a daughter, an aunt, cousin, whatever. He was very prone to kill prostitutes and he killed from Ohio to Florida again down that I seventy five corridor that a lot of them do. And he's like, because most people will not look for them and they don't really come across as missing persons, So he usually went in that direction. And my thought process was, Okay, let's bring some closure to some families. And he had supplied me with some maps for one in Ohio to in Florida and again I'm working with different agencies and things like that. It was determined that they felt that these were legitimate maps, that he was not lying, but based on the fact that they were prostitutes and there there just wasn't the funds budgeted for looking for individuals like this, that they just born interested in searching for them, which I found totally repulsive and I actually couldn't believe it. I've heard that from other people before that agencies would say that, and I just never gave any credibility to it. But that is the very fact that sometimes they just don't care.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you talk about also that foreclosure for the families with regards with this, but also you talked about law enforcement not being able to do anything, and you just explain why you believe that was the case, but you continue to correspond with him. It's not not correct.
Speaker 4: Yes you talk about William, Yes, yes, yes, So you know I was hoping to get more maps to different locations and he was getting to the point where he was getting frustrated and upset that I wasn't locating the bodies. That he gave me the locations too, which again tells me that he's very consistent in what he said before that you never forget. In fact, I went so far as I have him years later, instead of drawing me the maps, paint them for me because he'd likes doing artwork. And I compared the hated wins to the drawings which were years later, everything was completely consistent with the first ones, and then he refused to give me any more until these bodies were dug up and located because he just he's like, if you're not going to worry about the first three, why would you worry about the other you know, forty plus. So that was kind of disheartening. But I'm hoping that, you know, with my communication with him still to this day, at some point in time, that he'll disclose those locations to me. So at some point some families could have some closure in their lives.
Speaker 6: Right. Thus, Jesus as an opportunity to stop for a second to hear from our sponsor, which is Zip Recruiter. According to Forbes, gems, nail salons, hotels, mom and pop stores, and more set to go on an epic hiring spree in the coming months to meet the pent up demand for all of these services. I was excited like everyone else to go see it a movie at the movie theater. I went to see Stillwater and I got to see some stand up comedy, and I went to my gym and had a son on a swim. All of these businesses reopening means that millions of jobs will need to be filled. So where are these businesses turned to to fill these roles? Fast ZipRecruiter, and right now you can try it for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. When you post a job on ZipRecruiter, they send your job to over one hundred top job sites, giving you access to their network of millions of job seekers. Ziprecruiters matching technology scans resumes to find qualified candidates for your open roles and proactively presents them to you. Ziprecruiters technology is so effective that four out of five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. And right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free at this exclusive web address ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. That's ZipRecruiter dot com slash m r d er. Just go to ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. ZipRecruiter the smartest way to hire. In this new revised edition, you talk of other inmates, fascinating inmates that are as you say, no serial killer, no killer on death row. No two are the same, and they're individuals. They may share some characteristics, but no two are the same. But you have a section where are They Now? Inmates that you had been dealing with that were scheduled for for execution. Some of had those people had asked you to witness their death. So let's talk about a little bit about some of those people that you write about in this revised edition, and before we talk about the nitty gritty of what happened, what you are able to offer these people at the last moments of their life. Tell us about some of the people where are they now?
Speaker 4: So some of the individuals that are in that section of the book I was actually talking to and when the first edition came out and their execution dates had not been set yet. And there are also some I believe Anthony Solwell is one of them who actually died this past year in twenty twenty of cancer, and he was known as the Cleveland strangler, killed eleven women, lived with the bodies inside his house, in his backyard and everything. I was one of the first ones to ever interview him. And then of course there's a Cleveland Jackson who was implicated in drug deal gone bad. I think there was five people shot him. He and his brother shot. One of them happened to be a small baby as well. David Allen is another one whom killed an elderly couple. I believe Charles Lorraine is another one that killed I think his minister that was ministering to him in a prison stent once before when he had gotten out and he had gotten him some work. So these individuals have all asked me in writing to be there for them to witness their execution when that the dates are set. Some of them are now set. But you know, Ohio right now is on an a moratorium of executions. The governor has ceased executions until a new method can be voted on, at least while he's governor. So so yeah, I continue to see these individuals and correspond and communicate with them letters, emails, in person, everything, because they do have access to a lot of different media outlets. So they will email me sometimes a couple of times a week. They'll write, they'll place phone calls. They have video visits as well, especially because of COVID and things like that. So yeah, they sometimes they could be pretty needy. They are constantly reaching out to me. They'll send me art. I think I have over one thousand, five hundred pieces of art laying around now, all from death row some which is really good, other is horrible, whether it's made with human blood or semen or whatever, and they'll send me. So, yeah, it's kind of crazy.
Speaker 5: You have.
Speaker 6: You outline in this book too, the vast differences between Ohio's death row and the things and privileges there, or did those death row inmates as opposed to other states that you have visited. Just tell us some of the dramatic differences and what you've seen.
Speaker 4: Okay, So when I go to death row in California, which is in San Quentin, and they also have a death row where I had because I also have female inmates as well, they're in Chelchilla, California is a little bit more strict. They have a dress code that I did not realize when I went out there the first time, and I was wearing jeans, which they did not permit. So they were nice enough not to turn me away at the gate, but instead walking me over to the prison housing where they had closed there and let me pick out prison clothes I guess, and then they sent me on their way back to condemned Roe there. But once you're in California's death row, when you visit the person even though you're loud to eat and drink out of the vending machine, they lock you in a cell or a cage with that person. So it's maybe eight by eight cage sell that you're pad locked in, just the two of you with a little table and chairs, and that's how you visit there. So if anything would have happened, and there's like twenty nine or thirty of them, you know, rows of them that other visitors are in different cages at the same time. So with one or two guards walking around, something were to happen by the time they got there and tried to unlock the gate and everything, who knows what would transpire. So that one is definitely a lot different than the state of Ohio's, whereas the state of Florida. Around that right now we go in there, there might be twenty five twenty eight inmates all at once in the same room, all death row. Everybody's free to walk around, sit at tables. They have a canteen area so you can go up and you can get everything from ice cream, sandwiches to you know, burgers, cheeseburgers, pizza in it. You can warm up. They have everything, their popcorn and you can play board games, cards, You can do whatever you want. There so huge difference between the different states, like that when you're talking being locked in a cage with no movement to up walking around with twenty five inmates, all that are condemned to die.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you also talk about that. See why these people would want you to be there because there's only so many people that can be there. You say, usually clergy, a couple attorneys tell us who can be a witness and why they would want you to be there.
Speaker 4: Sure, so usually you're allowed three people on each side, so there's usually an attorney, even they they may have a team of attorneys, but only one attorney typically is allowed to witness with the clergy and whomever else they choose. Nine percent of never won a family member there to witness an execution. They just don't want to go out that way. And then on that other side, on the prosecution side, it's typically the prosecutor who prosecuted the case and any victims family members that wanted to attend. You know, two more of them, so there's three on that side. You never come into contact with them, but when I'm in the waiting area, I see them going over first. You can hear them because it's a very small The death chamber is very small, just a small partition that separates those three from the three of us, whoever it is, so you can hear them talking and everything. And to answer you quick on why and me, I think it just boils down to the fact that they they're hoping that they won't be forgotten, that I'll either write about them or I'll publish their art or anything along those lines to keep their name out there. So it's self serving on their part as well. Some of them will ask me to attend their executions so they can also learn about the process because it's not a very transparent process and they're not told a whole lot leading up to it. So they'll ask me, since I've witnessed them, you know, what's it going to be like? What do they do? Things of that nature. So you know, there's different reasons, but for the most part, they just they don't want to be forgotten.
Speaker 6: Right, you have focused where are they now? And you talk about an inmate named David Allen and there since ninety one and is supposed to be to die in twenty twenty three, and he was a painter. He had a strange request for you. What was that strange request?
Speaker 4: You know, you might have to fresh my memory. And because I get so many strange requests anymore, he's the one that will send me artwork. How do I put this? It can be here where he uses his own semen. So he will use those bodily fluids as and mix them in with the white paint that he uses. And again these are paintings that come in on canvas and everything. So some of his paintings that don't include that that bodily fluid are very good. But he'll hide those in between and the other ones around the back of those, and he sends those to me at least once a month. I usually get six or seven different paintings every month. So yeah, he's a he's a character. But he's very much uh a sexual obedient and and really uh fantasizes and focuses on anything sexual when it comes to his artwork or his letters, his communication style everything. So he's he's he's a very unique individual. When when when it comes down to that too as well, you.
Speaker 6: Say you write that he could suck the hobbyist down the rabbit hole. Can you explain that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? So he he's he's one of those individuals that thinks a lot of himself and he he he likes to grab your attention in any way possible. So when he writes, or when he talks to me, or when he paints, he wants you to know that nothing is off limits, that he has seen and done everything. His first sexual experience, I think he told me, is when he was ten, and it was with a fifty year old neighbor who introduced him to sex when he was cutting grass for her. She had the money pay him, but she offered him sex for payment. He agreed to it. Next thing you know, he just goes down this rab hole of all of his sexual adventures with men, with women, with groups and again a very very deviant sexual individual, which is what led him to commit his murderers as well.
Speaker 6: You're right about the reality of the death penalty for those because you do talk about the death penalty in here and the controversy, and you can't say either way. You have a different discussion regarding the death penalty, but in Ohio you talk about the the in reality how much time it takes for somebody to be executed. Meanwhile, the privileges that they are given as opposed to other people in other states on death row. And meanwhile, what the family has to go through, So explain please, yes.
Speaker 4: So in the state of Ohio, very rarely is somebody going to be executed in under twenty years just because of the appeals process. And what happens is the surviving members of the victim's family in their mind, they can't get closure closure until this person is dead, which I feel really bad for those individuals because they wait around and they stress over this decades. I think when I witnessed Frank spies x execution, he was on death row for twenty eight years. More often than not, the victim's family members have passed on before this ever happens and they're forced to relive it. A lot of my guys that I've dealt with want to keep appealing their cases in order to drag the family through that each and every time they revictimize them. So they get enjoyment from that. And in the meantime, they can also order you know, art materials, they can do clicklists or whatever for you know, whatever grocery stores offer. You know, they can get full quarterly packages a year. They can get you know, tennis shoes and socks and pants and things like that. So they're you know, they have tablets, they have TVs that they can order, earbuds, you name it. They have a lot of access to it. That's the reason why they email me every day and write me and send me this art and Everything's because they have access to all these materials that people on the outside typically don't think of when they when they hear about a person being put on death row. Oh, they're thinking, Okay, they're locked down twenty three hours a day, and you know they might get out an hour or a day or something. These guys are out and about more often than you realize, and they have a lot of amenities.
Speaker 6: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop for a second for this commercial break.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Land slots. You can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 5: Nearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 3: Or sorry, we're here.
Speaker 2: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 3: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 4: In that case, I pronounce you Lucky Hie for.
Speaker 1: Free at Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting, no purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions applag see website for details.
Speaker 6: You talk about those amenities, but regardless, they're still on death row. But you say that politics is involved in this as well. You talked about the eighty eight counties in Ohio, each with an elected county prosecutor, and they're basically to have the power to who's going to face the death penalty or who will face a life imprisonment without parole. Tell us what your criticism is of the death penalty itself.
Speaker 4: So in the state of Ohio, the only person that can determine if the person that's going to be tried, if they're going to be tried under a capital murder meaning face a death company, would be the prosecutor. The judges can't determine that, the defense attorneys, nobody else. It's based on the obviously the crime itself, and then whether or not the prosecutor wants to pursue that. And oftentimes you'll see prosecutors going in that direction because and again this is my opinion and strictly an opinion. I think they would. They want to have that notch on their belt saying that they got a conviction for a death penalty case. And in reality, they don't take into consideration the victims' family members and walk them through the process of Oh, by the way, plan on spending the next couple of decades reliving reliving this as the person fights for appeals and goes in front of the clemency board and everything else where. If you were to have just locked that person away for life without parole, allow those family members to grieve eventually forget about them and not live in fear knowing that they'll never get out, and next thing you know, they have lived a better quality of life. But instead, the way the politics runs because our prosecutors are all elected officials, so they want to look tough on crime, and it's it's unfortunate and it's but it's the truth.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And then you say that, and I have to agree that the big question is it is it all worth it? And you can't say, you can't say it is worth it because of that the perception that you're going to get closure. But like you say, the family thinks it may get closure with the execution of an inmate, but it's hard to get closure if it's all those appeals go through those processes and what and and we didn't even talk about what the inmates are able to do. There are there are inmates that that further exacerbate the situation by doing things at those appeals or doing something in public or saying something through attorney. So it's the least there's there's so much that could happen waiting for that final resolution, which would be the death penalty to be carry doubt correct.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And people don't really stop and think about that part of the process because, you know, usually when they see it on the media and the news or whatever, it's it's sensationalized on how horrific the crimes were and everything and and and I'll be honest, they are they're horrible, horrible crimes, yes, but they just don't take into consideration how the families are revictimized over and over and over and how much these killers enjoy revictimizing them over and over and over while they're on death row. And it's it's it's really sad because I've I've known people personally and I've been to sentences where an inmate from my hometown was sentenced to die, and you know, I could see the grief in the and the frustration on both sides because I happen to know both the victims family and the defender family, which put me in an awkward situation. And I've refused to speak to him on death row just because of that. But I look now and I see that, you know, he's still thriving on death row and the majority of that family has already passed away.
Speaker 6: You talk about the last inmate that you witnessed their execution, Fred Trish, Yes, and you talk about the if this is the person, Yes, this is Fred, tell us about his crimes and and then tell us about this dramatic moment at his execution.
Speaker 4: So Fred was Fred was uh an evil person, white supremacist, you know, the typical bully looking kind of guy. But he was very, very nice to me. And three days before his execution, NY backed up. So he was sent to death row because he had shot and killed a store clerk and then he had tried to kill a couple of law enforcement officers when he was on the run. And he explained to me that, you know, he wasn't this serial killer. He didn't always go out to kill people, but he did like to rob places, and a lot of times what he would do is if it was a female working, he would strip them down after he would rob them, and he would unscrew a light bulb and he would insert it into them and then kick it so it would explode inside of him, which was just crazy and insane to me. Yes, and he didn't think anything of it. So then we're having a last meal, the one that delivered to the prison. You know, I think we ordered like eighty dollars worth of Italian food. It was delivered walking up and down like christ Kimberlyn. They're really going to kill me this time in three days, aren't they. I'm like, yeah, you know, I believe this is going to happen, Fred, And he's like, well, I was thinking, you know, if if I killed another person like right now, they can't kill me, right, They have to try me, so they have to give me a stay and then go through a trial that will buy me a lot of years, right. And I'm looking around. There's no guards, there's no nobody, just me and him on death row alone, and I'm like, man, what is this kind of getting that, so I quick thought of something, you know where and how. I have no idea, but I said, listen, they're gonna they're still gonna put you to death. They're gonna try and obstend you. You're gonna be found guilty. It's gonna bring more embarrassment to your family. So you know, skip that out of your mind. He's like, wow, thanks, Kimberlin, that I knew I had you here for a reason. You know, I'm sitting there thinking, you know what that reason is, But I'm just glad I came up with that. So, yeah, he was different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's incredible to you the information you got him to tell you. And so there's no name. He talks about his mother smuggling money with a condom in her genitals, and he rejoined to him for sixteen years of doing crack in prison. And then and then you talk about like again, you you write in this book that just when you might think that there is some redeeming quality to some of these people, then they surprise you and show you their true psychopathic nature. He's us, He's ready for the Some of the witnesses, which are victims, family members, people that were or survivors. What does he do? What does he display to them?
Speaker 4: So Frank's so you're talking to Frank Spiedec. He was he was the one who wanted to be the next Adolf Hitler. So he was the same. Yes, So he was the same stature, height wise, he had the same mustache during his trial and everything as as Adolf Hiller. He wanted to be the the leader of you know, the Aryan Brotherhood and everything else. So he only liked white Anglo Saxon Protestants. He did not like gays, lesbians, black, you know, Jewish, anybody else. So fast forward too and he and he has shot I think five people at the Cleveland State University. Fast forward twenty eight years later, come time for his execution. At this time, he's already undergone a complete transformation. He now goes by Francis Anne. He has a African American minister in prison, he wants to have gender reassignment surgery. He comes out as being totally gay, all of this, and I'm thinking, how does a person goes through this transformation, you know, where you hate every single thing he stood for now, so I visit him, I go to him at his in the death cell, which is located right next to the death chamber, and he appeared to be very remorse at that time. He was very soft spoken, he was very polite, thanked me for coming, you know, apologize because it was a four hour drive and I had such a long drive back home. I mean, just a complete gentleman at that time. And I asked him if he was remorseful, and he said he was, and things like that. The guard taps him on the shoulder, tells me it's time to go. So I had to go around the other side and take my spot in the execution chamber and they bring him out. You know, they strapped him to the table, they do the ivs and everything like that, and then of course you're allowed the last statement to make. They asked him if he had a final statement, and he had this all written out. He said sure, So the warden held the microphone up to him and the next thing you know, he's reciting all of this stuff in German, which again shows you that he had no remorse whatsoever, because at the time he thought he wanted to be Adolf Hiller. So then the victim's family and some of the victims that survived the shooting. It was just it was just horrible because they were wanting to go through the glass and put him to death themselves. You know, it just sparked so much rage. Twenty eight years later, Yeah, incredible.
Speaker 6: You write in this book, well, you post the question to yourself, what has death row done to you? What is this research done for you? What has this experience done to you?
Speaker 4: It's you know, it's opened my eyes a great deal in the sense that you know, speaking from speaking two different inmates, female and male, federal and state. I had the only female Federal death row inmate who was just executed this year, Lisa Montgomery. I was supposed to attend that one, but due to COVID I couldn't. It's gotten me to learn a lot about the human mind, the criminal thinking that they do. And at the same time it's really desensitized me in the fact that I have dealt with so many convicted murderers that have killed so many innocent people. The numbers countless, you know, hundreds, if not thousands of innocent lives from just the people that I've dealt with over the years, that when a new inmate writes me from state or Federal death Row The first thing I think of is, Okay, how many people did this guy kill or does this girl kill? And if it's like two or three, then I think to myself, why do I want to waste my time? And I should never think that way, because a human life is so valuable no matter what, and here I am desensitized to the number of victims. So that's a horrible thing that I have to live with that I have to constantly remind myself and work on as well. That's why it kind of bothers me when I see people wanting to become pen pals with you know, death row inmates, or want to you know, get to know them more, and I don't think they realize what it does to you and to be able to expose your family to this, you know, my whole house is nothing but death sometimes because of the male that sits around that I don't open right away because I have to step back from it, you know, or the artwork and things like that. So it's it's a daunting task, but one that I'm not ready to give up on yet because I do think that there's a lot more to learn out there, especially when it comes to hopefully solving some cold cases, locating some bodies and bring in some closure to families out there that you know definitely deserve it.
Speaker 6: Where does your research now? Where do you go from here? Where does it take you?
Speaker 4: So now all over the country, different death rows, different executions that I'll be attending, different methods, I guess, and have people that I confessed as well, dealing with some of the worst of the worst. I've been working on another book called Dinner with the Devil, which is I've taken five or six worst of the worst inmates that have killed you know, countless people. I've sat down with them, I've had dinner with them and talked to them face to face on what they've done, wives they've done it, and I'm hoping to incorporate all of that, as well as their writings and art and things of that nature into the books so people can see not through the media's eyes, but firsthand, what these individuals are really like, what they hide behind, what they try to come across as and hopefully opening people's eyes up to what real serial killers and mass murders are really like.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I want to thank you so much Bill Kimberlin for coming on and talking about this revised new edition of Watch Me Die, Last Words from Death Row. I know that this was supposed to have a release this month, but now it's been pushed to October nineteenth, and this is a Wild Blue Press release. For people that might want to find out more about this, Can you tell us where they might look?
Speaker 4: I believe you can go right to Wild Blue Press their website dot com, and I believe they have a link up there. People can pre order it as well. There are some last minute edits that we had to do some changes around here and there, so that kind of pushed it back, but it is closer to Halloween, so that could be very well high to Yeah, and then I'm still currently working on the second one through Wild Blue Press as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sounds great. We're looking forward to that. Thank you so much for coming on and talking about Watch Me Die, Last Words from Death Row. It's been fascinating and this is a credible, fascinating and very important book. I want to thank you so much, Bill for coming on and talking about it.
Speaker 4: It's been an honor. I appreciate it, and thank you so much.
Speaker 6: It's been a great pleasure. You have a great night. Good night you too.