Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty record.
Speaker 1: Nature with Ken Mark talks about pontificates about pop culture. Ron and Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 2: Mark KFIM six forty is the Runner Report with Mark Ronner.
Speaker 3: Take it Away Tonight, twenty eight years later. First off, the original movie twenty eight days Later came out in two thousand and two. And I know math is hard, but this is twenty twenty five, so that's twenty three years later. Screw you for that, filmmakers. Oh the movie is set twenty eight years later. Whatever. Here's some of the trailer.
Speaker 2: Episode many dead, infected, non infected, and like, that's why Alphole is so precious. You know, I feel he's a bit young.
Speaker 3: He's ready, thinks you never once you walk onto that mainland, there's no rescue forming up.
Speaker 1: And down again. You look at.
Speaker 3: What's in frons of you. That's cool, and you got a lot of zombies chasing after people. The tons and tons of people watch the trailer. It's really good, it's really effective, and it uses I believe in old Redyard Kipling poem. The movie set twenty eight are Let's get caught up. Let's Get Everything Straight twenty eight days later was the first one, and it wasn't technically a zombie movie because it was about a rage virus that spread quickly among humans and made them act just like zombies. You don't have to listen to everything filmmakers tell you about their stuff. It's a zombie movie if you remember that movie with Killian Murphy, who was one of the first ones that depicted zombies running like bats out of hell, like Zack Snyder's Down of the Dead remake two years later, and now the Fungus zombies and the Last of Us on HBO.
Speaker 2: Sorry Max. These aren't the.
Speaker 3: Old, drunk looking George Romero zombies that shuffle around and move almost as slow as a slee stax from land to the loss. These guys run really fast. They run like they're being chased by ice agents and a strawberry field twenty eight weeks later came out in two thousand and seven and scarred the Scottish actor Robert Carlyle, although it was focused more on his kids in that movie, watchable not as good as the first one. This new one, twenty eight years later is from the same team director Danny Boyle and Alex Garland, the writer of the first one, which is enough of a pedigree to get my ass into a theater and not wait for it to show up on TV. Danny Boyle directed Train Spotting, slum Dog, Millionaire, Sunshine, lots of others. The real draw for me is Garland, who gave a civil war last year as a director and writer ex kind of Annihilation, Men and a great mini series called Devs Haven't Seen Warfare Yet, which he also did, but that's on my list. These guys cranked out something worthwhile here. Lots of tension, filled with imagery that's beautiful and disturbing at the same time, and also not just more of the same old, same old after decades of zombie trash, and still kind of has a punk rock feel to the action. It's jarring, the cutting's frenetic. It'll wake you right up if say you see it after work, very late at night in a nearly empty theater during the week. Here's the setup. All this time, after the rage virus and the berserk zombies, there's a community of survivors who live on an island that's only connected to the zombie infested mainland. By a causeway. And if you don't know what a causeway is, it's a little road or a trail that you can use when the tide's low and it's underwater. When the tides up. Causeways are scary. They're a great gimmick. Now, let's pause for a new feature cause Mark's definitive list of the all time greatest causeway horror films The Woman in Black, the twenty twelve version, and the nineteen eighty nine version. If you're a fan of causeways, these are movies for you. If you've got a causeway, when it's high tide, you either can't get to someplace or you can't escape someplace.
Speaker 2: Got that.
Speaker 3: Why hasn't Blumhouse made a movie called Causeway yet? Honestly, they've done more with less. And that was Mark's definitive list of the all time greatest causeway horror movies. Cause Okay, No, back to what we were talking about. Aaron Taylor Johnson, who was not banished to the island because of Craven the Hunter, is the dead of a little boy along with Jody Comer, who is very sick with something we'll find out later in the movie what it is. As a kind of rite of initiation. ATJ takes this boy crossed the causeway to the mainland, which is under strict quarantine, to hunt some zombies. This is not a recommended father son activity. Play catch get the porn sharing app or shaming app that Mike Johnson and his son share, not zombie outings though. That's even worse than that mumblety peg game.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 3: You remember your grandparents played with knives because they didn't have toys during the Great Depression. I'm sorry, son, we couldn't afford a PS five for your birthday, so instead we're gonna get chased around by berserk carnivorous zombies while we're armed only with bows and arrows. Sound like fun. That's not all the movie, And yes, ATJ playing a crappy father does play a role in the story. Hey son, next, I thought we'd go swimming in the ocean at an La Beach. Don't worry about all this sewage. You want to build up a strong immune system. You see rape finds in the trailer, and he plays a very strange survivor on the mainland, and he's only really in a portion of the movie. It's not a cameo, but sort of like in twenty eight Weeks, the kids really the focus, and believe it or not, that doesn't ruin the movie. We also get new alpha zombies in this which are bigger, smarter, harder to kill, and fairly well endowed. Lots of the zombies are naked, so yes, you will be treated to some zombie dong in the film, and or the movie almost tips into un like that, the movie almost that's got to be a first tips into comedy with what this alpha male can do to people that it catches. Now, without spoiling anything, all I'm going to tell you it's like the most hilariously brutal move from one of the Mortal Kombat video games.
Speaker 2: Now you got to see it in the theater.
Speaker 3: This is a really British movie and you can find some echoes of Brexit in how the UK's quarantined, while Europe seems to have dealt with the zombie problem and starting with Knight of the Living Dead in nineteen sixty eight, most of the good zombie movies were vehicles for social commentary, some better than others. Now here's some BS. A couple of weeks ago, I got a Google alert referencing a review I did of twenty eight weeks Later back in two thousand and seven, because now it's a hit again on streaming. It's an article from Slash Film which reads like it was written by an AI a lot of clickbait blather to say twenty eight weeks Later is doing well on Hulu, and it quotes critics from the New York Times and Chicago Tribune wetting themselves over how great they thought twenty eight weeks Later was. But then quote Mark Ronner of the Seattle Times wasn't in agreement. However, the writer evidently found the movie's social commentary to be as subtle as well at George Romarrow movie.
Speaker 2: Now here's the thing, I was right at this point.
Speaker 3: Nobody regards twenty eight Weeks Later as anywhere close to the original. The original filmmakers had nothing to do with that middle movie. I didn't go along with the pack at the time. And what this Slash film writer or AI meant to say was what clear insight Mark had then, when the bigger fish were acting like toddlers with a shiny object that said twenty eight years Later is a much better movie. Over and above all, the zombie Dong, You Get to See So Far, Sinners and Bring Her Back are the best horror films this year. This one belongs on that list, along with that Jim Jordan Ohio State wrestling documentary. It could be the first of a new trilogy if it does well. Sign me the hell up for this. Some trivia.
Speaker 2: This movie was on an iPhone or iPhones plural.
Speaker 3: Granted there are iPhones of all sorts of extra gear that you and I probably couldn't afford, but still phones, and it looks really good. I hate the way most digital movies look. I finally caught David Cronenberg's The Shrouds, and the digital photography, to me made it feel not like a real Cronenberg movie at all, just looked terrible and look at all this time later, most people can pronounce Killian Murphy's name. Twenty eight years later, Carlisle went on to be a Bond villain. Idris Elba became a huge star. He was in the Middle One. Imagen poots from the Middle One still has the best name in show business. That kind of sounds like farting but is completely unrelated. Jeremy Renner went on to nearly get disemboweled, not by zombies but by his own snowplow. Life comes at you fast like a snowplow. Mo. Tim Conway Junior is going to have half an issue with you, just half an issue, how so because you left out the d You know, I thought about that while it was ding this, the mobingos point of that activit, and I thought, just let it go, bark.
Speaker 2: I don't need to pick a fight with anybody I worked with. Yeah, no, no ding dongs, just just half of it.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI a M six forty