Speaker 1: When you think of a serial killer, what comes to mind? A large, mysterious figure shrouded in black maybe, or perhaps an unhinged man who leaves behind a trail of blood in his wake. What about someone well past their prime and into retirement, someone small and frail. What about someone referred to as the Granny Ripper in Russia? The Granny Ripper would kill in the shadows for years without people even knowing it. In fact, her exact victim count is still unknown. So when I say serial killer, what comes to mind? There is no wrong answer, But the best answer could probably be anyone.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben and I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: The following material intend more mature audience listener discretion. Here's a good chance they're gonna bug us during the actual show.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's full force mosquito season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a few in our tiny home right now. So if all of a sudden, Nicole lake Spaz is out, it's probably because the mosquito tried to fly in her mouth.
Speaker 2: So probably that's already happened once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how's it going? What's up? Welcome back to Wicked and.
Speaker 2: Grim, a true crime podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that was a dope intro, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have to take a moment. That intro was like one of the best. I think.
Speaker 1: I'm proud of that one.
Speaker 2: Well done.
Speaker 1: I wrote that super quick too, yeah, like with.
Speaker 2: It probably a few minutes. Yeah, and it was like the best one we've gone, I think so. And I've probably sent like ten or fifteen minutes before online. So thank well.
Speaker 1: And I read that one to you and I was like, Okay, I got a damn good intro this time. And I read it to you and you were just like wow.
Speaker 2: What did I No, I didn't say that. I think there was like dope.
Speaker 1: Nope, you said dope later, but your first reacting was like wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah it was good. It was really good. It was like, okay, so I should just be afraid of everyone pretty much.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean theoretically you should because people suck. So yeah, oh my god, long story short.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you never know sometimes. I mean, like we've had like, for example, the bar being Ken Killers, like they're they were like a really attractive, like nice looking couple, nice looking and nice from like fixterior right came across as that way and they were horrid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that being said, there is there are good people out there too. There are good people, so not everyone sucks. But I think humans as a species suck.
Speaker 2: There are more good people than bad in my opinion.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I agree with that.
Speaker 2: Well, when I say bad, I mean like cereal.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, definitely, Okay.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine if more than half people are cereal?
Speaker 1: God fucked? Yeah? Well, I mean if the world ever goes to an apocalypse, I think then the numbers would switch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh goshcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is why I think humans suck, because we would just do whatever. We'd just like we suck, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I would just be like every man for themselves exactly, which every man, every woman, every person.
Speaker 1: Which else is terrible? Yeah yeah, I don't know. But there are some really cool people out there, Like I said, like patrons, for example, because they're really cool, they support us.
Speaker 2: How are you shifting this?
Speaker 1: Okay, Our patrons don't suck. Our patrons are not awesome, They're awesome. So patrons, we do have to shout out this week. And I do have someone with a name from like a completely different language. I don't know, if it's like Swedish or something. So I am really gonna try here, but I'm probably gonna butcher it. So I am so.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but your practicing sounded all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that was like twenty minutes ago, and now I forgot I'm practicing. So I'm gonna try it. Let's see what we got. So first and foremost, we're starting with that one. It's Krefna Byork sigvaladori sigvalatory, Okay, something like that.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say b York because that's the one name out of there I do ye how to say. So I'm gonna refer to you as Bork b Yorke. Thank you for signing up and thank you for putting me that challenge. We also have Natalie Stratton, Oliver, Nicole Auxton, Daisy Lawn, lil Back, Kellen, and Kennedy Aunt.
Speaker 2: Nice. Was there Nicole in there?
Speaker 1: There wasn't Nicole Cole Oxton?
Speaker 2: Nice name, right, it's a good name.
Speaker 1: Nichole's it all right name?
Speaker 2: It's pretty dope. I actually feel like you don't run it into a lot of Nicholes, especially younger. I think it's not it's not really a name people are naming their kids now, like, who are having babies now? I haven't seen any.
Speaker 1: I think it's more of like a millennial name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good old millennials. There's nothing wrong with us.
Speaker 1: What about my name Ben? How many Bens do you run across nowadays? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But yours is slight rarity because it's not actually Benjamin. That's true, just Ben. Like on your birth stift it's Ben.
Speaker 1: Wow. Way to just tell people my identity so they can fucking steal shit. Now, they're just gonna go out there and just steal my identity because they know the.
Speaker 2: Real name because you put it out there.
Speaker 1: My real name is Nicole Touche. But yeah, no, it's it's Ben, not Benjamin. My parents are like, if we're going to call you Ben, but name you Benjamin. What's the point. We're just going to put Ben on your birth certificate because that's where we're going to call you.
Speaker 2: Very logical, I guess, Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 1: There's a mosquito by your head? Ah, get them?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I didn't get them.
Speaker 1: No. Summing up, Yeah, she's going to be back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'll disturb us again for sure.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, what we're waiting for me to come back. Let's get on with the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, after that intro, I mean, the bar pretty high for it.
Speaker 1: And this is a high as I said, this is the Granny Ripper.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's quite a name.
Speaker 1: So it all starts off with the woman by the name of Tamara Mitrofanova Samsonova was born on April twenty fifth, nineteen forty seven, in the city of Yusa, Russia. Nice So she lived a relatively normal life growing up. She graduated high school and moved over to Moscow and attended university. From there, she would find herself moving to Saint Petersburg and falling in love. She would marry the man of her dreams name Alexei Samsonova. In nineteen seventy one. The married couple moved into apartment they had purchased together over on Dmitrov Street. Life was good for the two of them. They built their future together and they were just living it out together. Tamara would eventually work for a company called in Tourist, which is a Russian travel agency and she was employed in one of their hotels and from there she would retire after a while of giving sixteen years of her life to that career.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's a good chunk of time.
Speaker 1: Sixteen years is a good chunk of time, that's for sure. I'm assuming she worked elsewhere as well prior to but that's kind of like where she retired from, and that's where she spent most of her time. Okay, but her career life and her husband isn't really the focus of this story. It really begins in the year two thousand one. Morning Tamara would make a call to the local police and report her husband missing. She begged for them to help and was desperate to find her husband. However, it seemed no matter what the authorities did in their search, it was fruitless. There seemed to be no trace of him anywhere, no matter where they looked and how Tamara tried to help them find her husband, time began to take away. Days were passing by, and the days turned into weeks, and the weeks would turn into months, and those months turned into a year. Tamara began to suspect that her husband had run off with another woman and left her behind. So in two thousand and one, Tamara was alone and she could use some extra income and company, so she decided to rent out one of the rooms in her apartment. Okay, so she opened her home to a man named Vladimir, who rented the space. The two quickly became good housemates. But as many of the roommates out there potentially listening right now can understand, living in close quarters with people and having these roommates can tend to lead to disagreements.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I mean even like husband and wife.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, exactly, well, husband and wife, technically that is a roommates.
Speaker 2: It is your laundry please, yes, And I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what the fuck are you doing with your bag? Why is it on the counter? Or your purse should be hung up over there, let's not open these cans?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now.
Speaker 1: But definitely living in close quarters with someone living in the same house it can bring up quarrels. Oh my gosh, butt heads.
Speaker 2: It's not easy.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's it's not abnormal, I mean, and honestly it's not unhealthy necessarily either, Like disagreeing in arguments, it's kind of natural, and it's a good way of actually working things out. It's how you deal with them that's important, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, even living with yourself, you would probably argue and be like, what the Fuck's wrong with you? Why is the hell such a mess? And like, you know, why are.
Speaker 1: You waking up at eleven o'clock and watching Netflix till eleven pm? And that sort of stuff. You didn't do anything today?
Speaker 2: What the hell?
Speaker 1: Yeap? Eat your fruits and vegetables. That's when I have a rush on me all the time? Fight with yeah. Anyways, we digress. They're arguing though in this case, that became more and more frequent, and after about a year, Vladimir decided that it was time for him to move out and move on. So after that, tamarowby once again looking for a roommate, and this time around she found forty four year old man sorry who went by the name of Ladya. There is some reports that I found that this man's actual name is Sarahi Potin. However, those are unconfirmed. Most accounts that I found, they just simply referred to them as vlaudyat okay. So she had a new tenant and the same problems would eventually arise between the two of them. Disagreements and arguments would begin to occur. Other tenants in the complex would also report sounds of yelling between the two and even banging on the apartment radiator and air conditioning unit.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in the hallways. There was even witnesses of Tamara screaming at Vladya, and the relationship was sour and more and more sour as time went on.
Speaker 2: Well, there's disagreements, but that sounds like it might be a bit much, exactly.
Speaker 1: It sounds like there's disagreements, but disagreements that they can't improve upon, right, which improving upon is a big part of it, right. Disagreeing is not bad, it's getting constructive with it. So it seemed like it got to the point of being a daily occurrence until one day in September of two thousand and three, it stopped. Tamara once again didn't seem to have a roommate anymore, as no one saw Vlaudia any longer, and they just kind of assumed that he had moved out of the complex and moved on couldn't stand to mareor anymore. It would become the theme that many people in the complex would witness over the next decade or so. A new roommate would move in, arguments occurred, and then the roommate would move out.
Speaker 2: I'm almost surprised. I was kind of more so expecting that one of them would become like a love interest of sorts.
Speaker 1: No, no, not so much. Yeah, well, it was more so just a situation of having some company and extra income in the house. Right. So in March of twenty fifteen, Tamara was no longer able to take in any more roommates. Her apartment was in serious need us some renovations, so while contracting company was working on her place, she was forced to find a room of her own to rent and become the roommate herself.
Speaker 2: And sorry, this is twenty fifteen now correct. Oh wow, okay, this is like pretty recent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, relatively.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Luckily, she would be introduced to seventy nine year old Valentina nikola Evna Yulanova by a mutual friend of theirs. Valentina just so happened to also live on Dmitriev Street, so when she agreed, it was kind of a nice little situation. She's like, yeah, I'm gonna let you move in and you can live here for a while, and it was going to be fantastic. The movie isn't too far away ideal basically, yeah, yeah, Now, the deal was, though she wasn't moving in, just free of charge. It would be that she would actually help out with chores with Valentina, as Valentina was beginning to have troubles in her older age. She's seventy nine, she's kind of getting more and more frail on her own and everything, so she needed someone to help out around the house. Makes sense, yeap, So she's going to move in. I don't know if there was a monetary exchange, but the deal that I do know of help her around the house and you can live with me as a roomate for a while while your place is under construction, if you will. And now this again, though, would end up just like any other living arrangement that Tamara had with anyone else. Arguments and disagreements became prevalent. It would be several months before they got to the point where Valentina would eventually no longer be able to take it, and she asked Tamara to move out. It was just too much. This spelled trouble for Tamara. She didn't even have her apartment to move back into yet, and despite the yet again disagreements and troubles, Tamara actually liked staying with Valentina, so she just ignored the request and continued staying there anyways.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's kind of seeming like she's maybe the problem.
Speaker 1: Well, if you get to the point where it seems like everyone else is the problem, you might want to think about that it's probably you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it might. It might be some self reflection needed right there. Yeah, and especially where she's in a situation where she like needs this, like she doesn't have anywhere to go. Yeah, you think that you just kind of be able to pull up your socks here and make this work until your apartment was ready. Yeah, I mean, or you just fucking keep being the same way and just stay there anyway, even though the other person wants you out and it's their home.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I do kind of want to play Devil's advocates because I know, like the older I get. I'm not super old yet thirty five, but the older I get, the less I care about what other people think.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that's almost like a kind thing, because this person's like doing you a favor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you were living with somebody else in the intern, like you would be pretty nice to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but people get stuck in their own ways, and you know, heads clashing. It's like, well, I, for example, it could be like, well I make coffee at six o'clock. Well I only have coffee at seven o'clock. And it's like, but by the time I go to make my coffee at seven o'clock, now there's old, stale coffee in there from your six o'clock coffee, and I got to clean up the coffee maker that I cleaned the night before.
Speaker 2: Like little shit like that does sound like you Wow, I'm just kidding, don't. I don't drink coffee, so we don't have a coffee issue in this house.
Speaker 1: But just those little things of like people in their older age being stuck in their ways, becoming bullheaded and being like, you know what, fuck you, I drink my coffee at six. If you want coffee at seven, clean the fucking coffee.
Speaker 2: Make me that new coffee. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can understand that being a thing when people get into an older age. Yeah, because I feel like I'm slowly becoming that.
Speaker 2: If I'm being honest, that's that's really exciting for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. You have something to look forward to.
Speaker 2: I'm just like real pump.
Speaker 1: Now, just don't start drinking coffee earlier. Than me. That's all you got to worry about. Okay, coffee though, wasn't their argument. An argument over some dishes specifically though, would bring the topic back on hand and in the forefront once again, and Valentina was adamant. This time she needed Tamara to leave. But just as this was the last draw of Valentina, so was it for Tamara as well. It would be on July twenty fourth, twenty fifteen, that Tamara would actually travel to Pushkin, Russia, which wasn't too far away, where she would visit a pharmacy. Here, she managed to persuade the pharmacist to sell her a prescription drug called venenza Pan, which was developed in Soviet Russia a Soviet Union in nineteen seventy five, and it's used as a treatment for various mental disorders. It's like a psychiatric schizophrenia treatment and anxiety. It essentially is like a mild sedative to help like sooth and calm and relax people.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, that seems interesting. You could convince a pharmacist to just give that to you.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a little bit of a caveat to it, because she was able to convince them, because she apparently, in her younger years, had been hospitalized in psychiatric care on three separate occasions. Oh okay, Now, what if she was diagnosed with anything specifically, I'm unsure.
Speaker 2: Okay, so she might have been like kind of begging them, like I need my medication or something, I'm run out.
Speaker 1: And she has a history that she probably took this specific drug before. Yeah, so it was relatively makes.
Speaker 2: It makes more sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was an easier battle for her to get them to prescribe and give her the medication. And that's exactly what happened. The pharmacist gave her the prescription thinking it was a reasonable request, and Tamara just went back home. So once she arrived at home, she decided to make dinner for her roommate, and perhaps she may have played it off as a potential peace offering since their arguments. Right, I'm not too sure on that, But what we do know is the dish that she served was Olivier salad, which is one of Valentina's favorite dishes. And it's a Russian like salad, like creamy kind of dish or whatever, Okay, kind of like I don't think there's any pasta in it, but think like our pasta salad. It's like like got the vegetables and stuff. It's got like that creaminess to it. Yeah. And with that dish, Tamara would crush up approximately fifty of the prescription pills and mix them into the holy shit, fifty fucking tablet Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, also, I'm just like if you just yeah, I wouldn't. I didn't expect the pharmacists to give her that many pills. And then yeah, okay, I kind of think I was thinking this is where this was going to go. But that's brutal. Yeah, what the fuck happened? Next?
Speaker 1: Then, well, she served the dinner to Valentina, and the two of them enjoyed a nice dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: Almost directly after dinner, Tamara would go to bed at about seven pm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because shit was about to hit the fan and she's piecing out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And after that, she would wake up at about two am in the middle of the night or early in the morning, however you look at it, and she would walk back out of her room and find Valentina laying unconscious on the apartment floor.
Speaker 2: Oh man.
Speaker 1: So while Valentina laid there on the floor, still alive, because she is currently just unconscious. Tamara leaned over top of her and began cutting her throat into capitating her with a hacksaw and two kitchen knives.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, that really escalated. Yeah, because at first is like, how the fuck you're gonna cover this up? But now how the fuck you're going to cover that up?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's next level.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, once she made it all the way through through her neck, she continued to dismember Valentina's body limb by limb, severing her torso into halves and some other smaller manageable pieces as well.
Speaker 2: Manageable, that's one way to describe that.
Speaker 1: Well, we do have an older lady. She is sixty eight years old at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah wow, Yeah, okay, I already didn't love her, now I really don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, respectable on that front.
Speaker 2: Wow okay, yep.
Speaker 1: It would take Tamara several trips, but she managed to package Valentina's body into various plastics and bags and carry them out of the complex and strew them around the city in an attempt to cover up her crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah okay, I mean, gosh, this is so sad that this is like this lady opened her house to this woman to just try to get help with cleaning and and then ends up dying. Yeah, like that's just not cool.
Speaker 1: No, it's well, any murder is generally not know.
Speaker 2: I'm very disturbed right now by this, just like the age and I don't know in the situation, like.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well, and just to clarify once again, so Valentina was seventy nine when she was killed and Tamara is sixty eight at this point.
Speaker 2: Like to live seventy nine years and then get murdered, like.
Speaker 1: Good god, well, let's be better than being murdered when you're like an adolescent at least, that's very true.
Speaker 2: But I'm just like, you live that long and then that's the way you go out.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know, I'm just playing Devil's advocate by saying that again.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I don't think the death necessarily, I don't sure, but I think like, because she was kind of in like a Cooma state, I wouldn't have hurt necessarily. I don't even know.
Speaker 1: That's really hoping that she didn't feel any of that pain. Yeah, but she definitely was still alive when she was being dismembered at least to start with. Jeez, So it would be only three days later, on July twenty sixth, twenty fifteen, when a couple was walking their dog around a pond and Valentina's remains would be found.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, okay.
Speaker 1: The couple's dog was acting very odd in the walk and was extremely interested in something that was in a bush along the shallow edge of the water. They decided to take a closer look at what their dog was trying to go after, and they found the dismembered remains of Valentina's body wrapped up in a shower curtain.
Speaker 2: That's brave. I think I'd just be like, let's go. I don't want to miss stinky.
Speaker 1: Well, it could be like your dog's interested in like a frog hopp it along or something. You're like, oh, what are you after their Fidoh and you look and all sudden, oh severed leg.
Speaker 2: Like oly shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no thanks, but I can understand how that mistake would occur. Police were of course called right away when they came upon the scene of, you know, a dismembered body in a park, and investigation was issued, so it wouldn't be long before the remains were actually identified and identified as those of Valentina. Authorities were beginning their investigation and started isolating the area and searching for the clues and everything. But this would include a door to door question like they're knocked around neighborhood doors, asking like, hey, have you ever seen anything weird in the neighborhood last couple of days, like what's going on? And they would arrive at the apartment complex where Valentina lived and they would be knocking on doors there and they were asking, you know, see any strange, and many the people in the complex didn't really see anything strange, but they did note they hadn't seen Valentina for the past few days, and many of the people in the complex, we're rather close, you know, you see people passing in the halls or even you know the arguments that you've been hearing through the walls recently. Well, I've sudden ceased.
Speaker 2: Say that they probably knew that they kind of had a bit of a feisty relationship of.
Speaker 1: Sorts, right, Yeah, so they haven't heard from her, they haven't seen her, and things suddenly had gone quiet. You look guilty exactly. So with this in mind, they went knocking in the door of Valentina's apartment and the door opened and they found sixty eight year old Tamara there in her apartment. Oh just chilling, just chilling, screening, like, s up, it's up, popo, what's going on? What's going down? What do you need?
Speaker 2: Watching Netflix? Drink and some tea.
Speaker 1: There you go, living her best life, apparently, to say the least, so the police didn't have a hard time piecing the puzzle together of what happened from this point. A search of the apartment was able to provide traces of blood, as well as matching shower curtain fasteners that were going along with the ones found wrapping some of Valentina's body remains.
Speaker 2: She really didn't give a shit, not so much. She would have had the time to kind of like clean up and potentially have bought this through if she wanted to get away with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well bear with me on that thought, because I think you're going to be surprised with how this plays out.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: There was also CCTV footage from security cameras on the apartment complex, and it showed Tamara making several trips out of the building in the middle of the night, carrying those various plastic bags coverings, shower curtain.
Speaker 2: Serious dead serious, okay.
Speaker 1: And due to her lack of attention to detail, there was also pieces left that are described as pieces and chunks of flesh in the corridor of the complex as she carried out the remains building as well.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yes, yeah, that's nasty. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I'm assuming those were just laying there for the past few days as people are walking by and not really knowing what it.
Speaker 2: Was or anything, just rotting away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, I don't think it's like, oh, there's a steak sized piece of meat over there. No, I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: It's like small little particles.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Oh that's really gross though.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely. So when pressed about the situation, Tamara didn't really hesitate to admit what she'd done, which to me was surprising. But she didn't, But it kind of makes sense a little later on as we go on here. So what she did do is she did tell police that she was upset with Valentina over their disagreement, and when she was asked to leave, she couldn't. Her own place was still uninhabitable due to the renovations, and it left her with no choice but to kill her in order to give her the opportunity to stay in the apartment.
Speaker 2: No choice Okay, I'm sorry. I can't get over the wording of some of this stuff that you have here, just like no choice, chunks. I can't remember what the other one was, just killing me.
Speaker 1: For some reason, the no choice might have been my specific wording. I don't think that's directly her terminology.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're wording like it's it's kind of for some reason. I'm finding it comical here the chunks.
Speaker 1: Was not my wording, though, use that was wording that I found directly.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, okay.
Speaker 1: So Shocked by her confession, though and reason, police quickly arrested Tamara, and rightfully so. Looking further into the home, investigators were able to find some extremely disturbing things. Primarily, Tamara had kept a very detailed diary of her day to day events, all worded in Russian, German and English. Now sure enough, the description of Valentina's killing was all written in ink on the pages of her diary the details of dismemberment, disposal, and cleaning. They also found entries of her diary about fondness for Valentina or Valia as she referred to her as. Now it seems she didn't actually hate her, as it might kind of first look like upon talking about this case, which only begs more questions. So to their surprise, though, that's not all they were able to find on these pages. They also found an entry that said this quote, I killed my tenant Volagia, cut him into pieces in the bathroom with a knife, and put the pieces of his body in plastic bags and threw them away in different parts for the Farinsky district.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, is that is that a different person?
Speaker 1: Vladya was her roommate from about fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, that's when I was thinking that. I was like, did I get something mixed up?
Speaker 1: Here was her second roommate she welcomed into her home.
Speaker 2: Okay, my gears are turning here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So she was done her career and just was like I'm done with this. You guys can find out whatever you want.
Speaker 1: Really pretty much. She didn't really have too much of an attitude of like, yeah, no, I didn't do it. She's just like, I mean, not that I'm agreeing with her and everything, but I'll give her props to this. She's taken it on the chin, being like, yeah, that's me. I did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, honestly, that's almost oh gosh, like I was gonna say the way to do it, which is terrible, it's terrible. But no, Okay, you're a terrible person. But then you're finally done with being a terrible person, I guess, and then you're gonna, like, at least give some closure to all the shit that you did.
Speaker 1: That's the least thing you can do.
Speaker 2: Okay, this terrible.
Speaker 1: No, you're playing devil's advocate. You're giving the silver lining. At least she's not denying it. At least she's helping authorities. At least she's giving closure. Yes, I got you, don't worry. Just when you first said it, it sounded like, wow, But okay, I got you.
Speaker 2: Okay, if I was going to be a serial killer, i'd be heard. That's not what I meant at all.
Speaker 1: I totally got it. Don't hurry. But yeah, this whole situation, the diary, it threw a massive curve ball into the case, especially considering all her roommates that she has had over the past years, decades more went missing. Yeah, how many of them did she kill? What about out her husband who went missing years ago?
Speaker 2: Right? Who she just thought went like off with another woman she at Wow.
Speaker 1: Well, as I mentioned, Tamara didn't really try and hide the fact that she killed Valentina and confessed, but ultimately she would volunteer to return to the apartments and walk through step by step with investigators how she killed and dismembered Valentina's body as well, and they even provided a dummy for her to show.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, this is fascinating.
Speaker 1: Really, Yes, so they reenacted with her what she fucking did to Valentina.
Speaker 2: Could you imagine being in that situation, Like, hey, where you're literally giving a serial killer, you're gonna watch them reenact what they've done. I just I feel like I would just be just fascinated by like watching that unfold there.
Speaker 1: I think my fascination in the situation, Like, I agree, I'd be fascinated, but I wouldn't be fascinated with the crime itself. I would be fat fascinated with how they talked about and described and showed the crime. Well, yeah, so like do they are they excited about? Like, oh, and I did this because of this? It's like this is my problem solving, Like how were they talking about this? How disassociated are they from the crime? That they committed.
Speaker 2: Is there any remorse or anything shown? Like, yeah, that would just be wild as fuck. No kidding. I almost want to see that, like on a video to watch or something.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, I don't know if I'm sure it was actually videotaped.
Speaker 2: But that is released.
Speaker 1: It definitely is not released, unfortunately. So, yeah, she showed them the tools she used, just how she cut up the remains from there, piece by piece. She showed wrapping them plastic, and where each portion was dumped. For example, Valentina's hips and legs were actually too heavy for her to take out and far away from the complex, so she was forced to stash them actually on the apartment grounds. And then of course various portions were dumped in places like ponds where she was initially discovered. Wow, so when it came to Valentina's head, here's an interesting piece. So she did attempt to hide her victim's identity. So, once decapitated, Tamara took her head and her hands, put them in a pot with water onto the stove and boiled them extensively to try and hide Valentina's identity.
Speaker 2: Oh that's really gross.
Speaker 1: So that CCTV security footage from the apartment actually shows Tamara carrying out a pot from the complex as well.
Speaker 2: What the actual shit so.
Speaker 1: We know exactly what is in that container as she is walking out.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am just shocked here. She would have known that there was like video or something like capturing this. Hey, probably and just zero shits given, probably huh.
Speaker 1: Okay, So she would dump the contents of the pot into the garbage dump, which was removed every Saturday from the site. This part has actually sparked some some belief and discussion that Tamara didn't actually just kill her victims, but since she had boiled the head and hands, that she actually practiced cannibalism as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was wondering this and I have no idea why, but I was like, oh, Ben's doing this case, so it obviously doesn't. But I cannot, I literally cannot get the visual out of my brain of this woman just carrying a fucking pot out of the apartment now and going to the dumpster.
Speaker 1: There is CCTV footage you can watch, and there is like frame shots and everything screenshots. Sorry wow, And yeah, there's photos I saw of her fucking carrying the pot.
Speaker 2: That is so fucked And did she just like throw the whole damn pot in the dumpster, just like literally tip it upside down and empty, and then go make a fucking batch of soup later. Like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Well, according to this, it's possible that she made a batch of soup.
Speaker 2: With the remains. Wow.
Speaker 1: So even when discussed about the possibility of cannibalism with the authorities, when they're oppressed with the possibility of it, they responded by simply saying, quote, it is not excluded.
Speaker 2: Huh okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, Tamara would continue to help investigators with much of the investigation, and she would even help answers with the biggest question like why.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 1: So she explained that she had a quote maniac upstairs who is responsible for pushing her to murder people. So when it came to Valentina, she did actually like her, She did actually enjoy your company. In fact, her company generally drowned out the voice of the maniac in her head, which is why she didn't want to move out when requested, and why she was so adamant she wanted to stay.
Speaker 2: Oh man, okay, that's a bit sad.
Speaker 1: Yes. So however, in the end, the turmoil led to the voice returning, and well we know how that played it yet, So on July twenty ninth, twenty fifteen, Tamara was brought into a district court of Saint Petersburg where she would undergo questioning in a forensic psychiatric examination. It'll be a little while later during her trial in November twenty sixth, twenty fifteen, that the results would determine that she was a danger to society and herself you don't say, yeah, and that she was most likely suffering from schizophrenia. So she was then placed into a specialized institution until the end of the investigation. So that is her sentencing. Okay, she was never sentenced to prison time yet after the investigation occurs, I'm sure there will be another court case against it and sentencing actually happening, But for now she is in the institution until the investigation is over. So Tamara never really denied any claims of murder against her. In fact, she agreed that she needs to be punished for her crimes. And in the court case, the judge was like, how should I punish you? And she's like, you know what I did, and I think you should punish me. Accordingly, like she just owned it. She just yeah, this is it.
Speaker 2: And did she kind of say that after she'd gotten some of the help and maybe like was on the medication she needed though, or I mean like right at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, this whole time, she's had the same attitude. She's doing the crimes. She knows they're wrong, and she does have remorse for doing it, and she knows she needs to be punished. So give her props to not being like, no, I don't deserve jail time or I've got this ailment and it shouldn't like I need to go to an institution instead. No, She's just like, yeah, you do you. I understand the troubles I've caused with society and the dangers I'm putting people in. You need to do something with me.
Speaker 2: She's accepting the consequences that she needs to be faced with.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, she definitely does. And in fact, she kind of like even aplauded them. Well, actually she literally applauded them. When it was announced that she'd be held in custody indefinitely during the investigation. She literally clapped in the courtroom.
Speaker 2: Wow. It's almost like she was at that point just like okay, like I need help, Like let's let's just get me help.
Speaker 1: And I think she knew what she was. She knew that she had this monster living in her head and she couldn't control it, and she knows that someone needs to control her otherwise it's going to keep happening.
Speaker 2: It's just going to keep murdering people or her body though at this point can't really do it anymore though, So that's kind of why she was given up too. I think she's almost seventy years old.
Speaker 1: Maybe now. There are a couple more pieces that I want to add to this. They may be irrelevant, and most likely are, but I do feel that they are important to include. A neighbor of Tamaras would actually come forward a little while later and claim that she also had an unusual fascination with a serial killer, a man by the name of Andrea Chikatillo. Now Andre would as a Soviet killer who was nicknamed the Butcher of Rostov. He apparently sexual assaulted, murdered, and mutilated at least fifty two women and children between nineteen seventy eight and nineteen ninety Brutal and sorry.
Speaker 2: Tamara had a facet or who had a fascination.
Speaker 1: The neighbor reported that Tamara had this fascinating Yes, okay. There are also reports of Tamara having interests in the occult things like Tara cards, for example, were found amongst many of her belongings. Now, most likely these things have nothing to do with their crime. In like, interest in these and like this specific sort of things don't necessarily say anything. Like people can argue the same fact. We have a true crime podcast, we talk about murders and kills and like all this sort of strange shit. They can throw that in our face too, but we're like, it's different, right, Yeah, you can.
Speaker 2: Have different interests. That doesn't necessarily mean you're a serial killer exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's not necessary that they have anything to do with this. However, I think, coupled with her specific psychiatric disorder, it may have all just been a recipe for disaster without her even knowing it. Right, It may have just fed that maniac upstairs.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: But who's to say now? It is unfortunate. This is the end of Tamara's story for now, as she is still being investigated in the connection for a total of fourteen murders, eleven of which were very detailed and described in her diary.
Speaker 2: Wow, holy shit. Okay, the fact that she was able to get away with that many especially with it's just a while, with them being so connected to her as like her roommate. Yeah, that's bizarre to me because did these people who were her roommates not have like friends or family outside of her? That because you think at some point, like you'd connect that all these people that lived with her are now missing. Yeah, and that just never got connected.
Speaker 1: It depends on who she welcomes in his roommates. And one of the things that I'm surprised is that many of the people in the complex just assume these people are moving out. They just all of a sudden never see him again. So, oh, this person just must have moved out, I guess.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: And then a year later, Oh, this other person just must have moved out. I guess.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, you don't necessarily just go to the fact that you think they're getting murdered. I don't know, it'd probably take me a little bit of time too to really be questioning that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the potential of fourteen other murders, and it occurred over the span of approximately fifteen years, so that's almost a murder per year. So that's every year not seeing someone leave or move out.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, you would never see them like physically moving out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, none of their stuff is leaving. You just see her probably hauling a bunch of shit.
Speaker 2: Out huh at two in the morning. Yeah in Pots Yeah in Pots Wow, I mean I would question that for sure. That's terrifying. But then also where she was living, there could be a lot of I don't know word, but a lot of movement in there too, like people not necessarily living there that whole fifteen years or whatever.
Speaker 1: Right, So, and I do want to mention as well, it is unknown about her husband. Her husband is still missing, and there is no as far as I'm aware, because investigations are still ongoing. Yeah, there is no connection between her and her husband's disappearance yet, huh.
Speaker 2: You know I always struggle with these ones. I mean, gosh, I feel like most serial killers though, would have some sort of mental illness, right, because it's not normal to be doing that. But I always sometimes like, oh, I struggle. It's almost like a weird struggle in me that I'm like, oh, she needed help, But then also like she's a literal monster.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but at the very least she understands she needs help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not much, but it's something I do. It's kind of satisfying, is how this ended, in the fact that she's like literally willing to take the consequences like that kind of that's good.
Speaker 1: That is good. It's not satisfying that word, and I don't think you meant like that, but yeah, it's it's good. That's a better way how you said it there, It's good. That's a good Yeah. I agree with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because a lot of them they just or they'll take all their killings to the grave, and then people that they did harm don't have like their friends and family don't have the closure, right exactly.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, he make a very good point. Yeah, So that's that's the Granny Ripper. That's a it was a wild interesting case to research the possibility that she has another fourteen victims. Yes, and that's only known as well, So who knows how how many else there are.
Speaker 2: Did that case get recommended or did you come across that one?
Speaker 1: I came across that one.
Speaker 2: Actually, I've never heard anything about that. And it's weird because it's pretty like the results and stuff and her getting caught or it's pretty recent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was within this past decade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so huh yeah, well done. That would have been very interesting to research.
Speaker 1: It was. And when it came to the part of her actually being like, oh fuck, yeah, I did this and I'm just owning it and I'm gonna reenact for you how this occurred, I was like, fucking excuse me, this is this is happening right now. Yeah. And as you were talking about, like it would have been fascinating to be there for reenactment. It would have.
Speaker 2: It would fly on the wall in that Yes, not because.
Speaker 1: I want to see like, oh, how did you murder the person? I want to see how she talks about it, how disassociated she is, or maybe she was very aware because she is like, yeah, I'm a monster. You need to deal with me any discipline, any punishment, and you need to be locked away. Maybe she was very connected with it. Maybe she was very remorseful during it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But even how you said, like there's potential like she might have got rolled up or a little excited at times and stuff. I mean, the psychology behind serial killers and how their brains work is a little bit fascinating.
Speaker 1: It is so wow.
Speaker 2: I mean that would be a job and a half a to be like a detective or an investigator for some a crime like that.
Speaker 1: Oh it would be especially.
Speaker 2: Too because you have your your criminal like actually divulging information rather than you like having to try to fill in all the blanks and stuff.
Speaker 1: So wow, Yeah, it takes well, it literally takes a guesswork out of it. Oh. I wonder if investigators were like and I don't think they would, but I could just like picture it because like CSI sort of characters and stuff kind of would paint this picture in my head. But like they're going like walk into the scene with her like oh yeah, we're going to reenact this. We're carrying the dummy, and it's like, well, this is my theory and how she did it, and like this is my theory. Oh you want to bet And it's like when she does this, and all of a sudden, it's like one investigator hand twenty bucks over to the other guy. Like god, I feels like they're betting on how this played out, you know.
Speaker 2: But then also I feel like in these kinds of situations, you still have to be careful because they could literally be just telling you whatever the fuck they want, Like they could still be so fucked up that they're just like making sit up too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but no, like everything she detailed matched every piece of evidence, for example, like the very obvious piece to show issues like yeah, I took the head and hands boiling the pot, took the pot out, and then CCTV footage shows her carrying a fucking pot out Like that's a very specific piece, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, huh huh, well done. That's fascinating. I'm going to be a stewing on this one for a while. Stewing. That's a really that was a really poor choice of words there. Fuck. Okay, yeah, we're not eating stew for a while.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: God girls?
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, so I'm just gonna go on, say, just next time you think of what a serial serial killer could be, maybe uh, just think about the Granny Ripper and think maybe what we perceive it to be on a regular basis is uh a little more than just that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, anyways, thank you for being here. We appreciate you listening to the whole show and sticking around. If you are still here and you're curious on where you can see some of our social media links and all that. It's all in the description the show notes to this podcast, Instagram, Facebook, you name it. Patreons down there you can join us up. If not, you can just continue listening here and that means a lot. If you really want to support us. You can also give us a review. That'd be fantastic.
Speaker 2: Love those reviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do, so give us a review. If not, again, just show with us, just listen and that is so awesome too.
Speaker 2: Yeah we love that you're here, We really do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyways, until next time, Until next time, stay wicked. That was a weird one.
Speaker 2: That was really weird, but it worked.