Speaker 1: All right, it's the Ben and Skin Show ninety seven point one The Eagle. Thanks for hanging out with us today. Now we're talking about this big Maverick story that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Nico Harrison had his exit interview press conference in front of the assembled media. That happened, oh about two hours ago, and it was on the heels of an explosive article that dropped today from ESPN by one Tim McMahon, who, because he's covering the NBA playoffs, wasn't there today to ask any questions about, you know, Nico's response to his article. Tim Cato of DLLs and Mark Stein of DLLs both had articles that came out over the weekend talking about various aspects of this. Tim's was probably the most in depth and clearly had been exhaustively researched over several, I mean months really when you look at it and look at the timeline involved. One of the things that Tim Cato kind of hinted at was people don't really know what Patrick Dumont thinks yet. But you guys heard the press conference today, right, yes? Would you guys agree that it was presented like there would be nothing changing moving forward, Did.
Speaker 2: You take that sense nothing changing? In fact, the team's going to be very similar, going to add a rookie in the draft.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they think they're gonna be really good next year and if they're healthy, they should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And but you're not going to get Kyrie back to I mean, I would say January is optimistic.
Speaker 2: Also, Man, I hate to say this. I hate to say this, but you know, Anthony Davis had played so much this year and played so well early, and he was he'd been hurt so much leading in. I get it, you know, And I would hear the nicknames. Everybody has the nickname day to day, Street closes, all those things. He's always out and ever since he's got here, he's been nothing but hurt, right, And it's like I have a hard time watching him, Like I don't know, he rarely makes it through a game without being hurt. And it's because I think he fought back early to play hurt, you know what I mean. He wanted to be their first team. So he's never fully healed. And that's a big part of not only Tim Cato's article, but Tim McMahons. Okay, because and I respect the hell out of that he was trying to help, But my confidence that he's gonna stay healthy moving forward is extremely low. And you got a thirty two and thirty three year old guy. If they're healthy, yeah they're gonna be good. But I don't have confidence in that right now.
Speaker 1: This is what I said when we traded for Kyrie Irving. And I have loved Kyrie Irving, but it's really easy to pull up Basketball Reference and look at how many games a guy plays that year in and year out, Like.
Speaker 2: It ain't hard.
Speaker 1: And to me, and I follow the league pretty closely, when a guy misses a bunch of games for a myriad of reasons, to me, that's a red flag, whether you like the guy personally or not. And so that's why I was scared of Kyrie Irving. But when he got here, it was extraordinary, and I got to where I never spent any time worrying about Kyrie Irving's availability, and then the horrible thing happened. And so if I take that same outlook and I pull up Anthony Davis's Basketball Reference page, there's a lot of games missed. So I don't have to personally like Anthony Davis or think he's like one of the greatest two way players in all the world and always has been to go. Oh, but by the way, he misses a lot of games. That's just that's not even opinion, that's just irrefutable fact.
Speaker 2: Let's pull it up and look at it.
Speaker 1: So I think, you know, to sit here and look at this and go, Man, if they're completely healthy, they're a great team. They're a team that competes for a championship. I agree with that. I think it's reasonable. I also think it's very reasonable to be skeptical that that's going to fall into place just because of all these other, you know, things that we can look at and tell you.
Speaker 2: That it's not gonna happen, right, And I get it. You know, this is the reason this trade happened is because they didn't like dealing with Luca. It was a lot to work with him. They were about to have spay him seventy million year, They had no control over him, and they didn't like teams are targeting him on defense, and they chose go in another direction. The problem is, I get it, Nico loved a d loves AD. He may be stuck in the way he feels about Ad from six years ago, because if you traded for twenty six year old a D, it's a better deal. Or if you I mean, it's almost like he dealt with the Lakers from a point of weakness. I have to trade Luca because Luca's tainted goods. All right, Well, if I'm gonna take Luke off your hands, I can't pay full price for because you're not you're telling me, you're telling me you're not trading me full power Luca. Right, he's a problem for you you have to get rid of. Okay, Well, then I can't pay full price. I mean all that None of that matters, because all that matters is that the GM wanted a D and he went and got his guy.
Speaker 1: He went and got his guy, and and you know, we'll listen to this audio coming up at four o'clock and people can decide for themselves. But one thing that is true that I agree with what Nico said. He hasn't publicly said anything negative about Luka Doncic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he hasn't.
Speaker 1: A people are taking what reporters have said the Mavericks think, and it's not on record stuff, And so we're inferring from these reports that Nico thinks this, this, and this, and I think it's all very reasonable. But to Nico's point, if you go on what's on the record, he's never said anything negative about Luka Doncic. And you know, he's not the only person in the world that doesn't think Luca's a great defensive player. Luca knew that criticism, which is why for the last year and a half, Luca's been pointing out his defensive qualities that have been good. Right, there's a reason he's done that. And then obviously Nico's on record is saying he loves Anthony Davis.
Speaker 3: Real quill quick. When you take the reporting and then you add that to the hot stove, that is the anger of MAVs fans, you get burned. And that's what people were saying. It was a burn And that's how I'm end that segment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now that's why I like that segment so great.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 2: Coming up next in the Hollywood Shuffle, which huge celebrity both in girth and instead pooped their pants. Well, just sit through this commercial break and think about it and wait, that's nuts.