Speaker 1: And I will bring in Bart, considering it is nine fifteen and I want to be punctual, So I just want to say, Hi, Bart, what's in the.
Speaker 2: Mug earl Gray tea with honey? Because John, we're getting over a battle with COVID apparently.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, that's that's that's that's not good. That's that's that's a that's illegal.
Speaker 2: You can't have that illegal.
Speaker 1: Yes, So so Bart is now here, so Bart will be able to listen to the rant like the rest of us. And we're going to listen together to Caleb Porter because he was mad after the two two draw and talked about two instances. And we come back from the Caleb Porter rant, then we'll talk about the two instances and what you thought about the two instances themselves. Like I said, one has to do with a handball that wasn't called. The other has to do with our new substitution rule in Major League Soccer. So after the match, Caleb Porter was slightly angry about a lot of things. And so here's Caleb Porter feeling he was screwed and let everybody know about it, especially centerth Timothy Ford.
Speaker 3: We're gonna win a lot of games and we play that way. We're very disappointed with the officiating. It's one hundred.
Speaker 4: Percent penalty, kid, It's I don't know how you look honestly at the screen and decide.
Speaker 2: Not to give a penalty.
Speaker 4: It is a complete joke. It's a travesty, and there needs to be some accountability for that decision because we lost two points because.
Speaker 2: Of that decision.
Speaker 4: And we have literally had that same thing happen to us three different times where the official has been sent to the monitor and there's a clear penalty and the official doesn't call it.
Speaker 5: What is happening. It is mind boggling, mind boggling that he doesn't call that a penalty. We are the only team in the league that hasn't.
Speaker 2: Had one pendle. What is happening.
Speaker 4: I've never seen anything like it. For me, all I can say is a complete coward. The referee was a complete coward in that moment. Complete coward, and it's a Travis people. He shouldn't officiate. He cost our players two points today, two really important points, and I'm not gonna stand for it.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna stand for it.
Speaker 4: I don't care if I get fined, I don't care what don Garber says, what Don Garver needs to do is look at that situation, look at the official in that situation, and needs to hold this official accountable. And then the second part of the joke show clown show was giving us a penalty for not getting out of the game. Luca was coming on the game because he was injured. But we want guys to literally, he couldn't sprint me faster to get out of the game. He couldn't get out of the game any faster. Initially he walked, yes, but then he sprinted out of the game as fast as he could it. The referee told me that it was fourteen seconds. Fourteen seconds it took him to get out of the game. So because he's four seconds late, because he can't spread any faster, they penalize us and we end up giving away a goal during that penalty. The game isn't meant the game isn't meant to be played this way. It's an absolute joke. You're supposed to as an official, use your discretion in those moments.
Speaker 2: He did not use his discretion in.
Speaker 4: Either of those moments. He missed a clear penalty. If he looks at the monitor and decides that's not a penalty.
Speaker 5: He should not be official in this league.
Speaker 4: He's not confident enough to be an official in this league if he chooses in his discretion to penalize Luca l Angoni when he's sprinting for forty yards to get off the field. He's trying to get off the field. It was fourteen seconds. The referees are supposed to use their discretion.
Speaker 2: He was walking.
Speaker 4: Initially because he was injured. This is a joke, and so.
Speaker 5: It's impossible to talk about.
Speaker 3: The game without talking about those two two months.
Speaker 2: For the official. JO, did you get an explanation on that possible handball?
Speaker 5: Did you say what it was or.
Speaker 4: Wasn't He said that his arm was in a natural position.
Speaker 3: So I don't know about you.
Speaker 4: Guys, but I don't see guys running like this or jumping like this. If he handled the ball right here, everybody in the whole stadium saw the replay. Everybody. If that's not a penalty, that's not a handball. I don't know what is. But the fact that he actually looked at it and decided that wasn't send no molls. You can't be in this job if you're a coward.
Speaker 2: If you're not competent.
Speaker 4: I liked him as a person. I think he's a good guy. But at the end of the day, this is our livelihood, this is these players' livelihood.
Speaker 5: We have to have a standard.
Speaker 4: And even though he's a good guy, he clearly showed today he should not be officiating in the league with those decisions. That's a win, that's a win for us.
Speaker 5: Then he took away.
Speaker 6: So, Hi, Bart, good morning.
Speaker 1: I thought it would be important to run the entire thing. And I know that folks are sitting there going, man, that was long, but yeah.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: And it was two issues that I wanted to bring up on purpose because I don't like to do sound bites in that situation.
Speaker 2: I don't like to do that.
Speaker 1: And so the two elements that Caleb Porter brought up was a handball in where it looked like it was basically a jump ball and in this case, and what I'll do is I will post the link to the Blazing Musket articles where they have the screen caps and things like that, so folks can see if they didn't see the match itself, looked like it was a jump ball, and you have a bit of jostling and it is a part and as the body goes up, then you have that contact and it kind of clatters around shoulder and shoulder, then goes away. Then the other element is the ten second new rule about get your butt up and get off the field or you're gonna play down a man. Saint Louis ends up being down a man after it was just judge that Luca Langoni did not leave in a timely fashion. You're playing shorthanded. It's basically a power play for Saint Louis, and Louis cors to tie it too with about twenty to go, Caleb Porter's hot, which one you want to start with.
Speaker 2: First, Well, let's start with the substitution because I think this is a little more cut and dry. Sure. Look, I think coaches need to realize that referees this year specifically are not going to be playing around because these are the rules they've been given. Right, you have ten seconds to get off the field. You can exit the field at the closest point. You do not have to go from one corner flag to the center line. You can go off the field wherever you feel is the closest point for you. And if you are truly injured, then you need to stay down and get that medical help and then go off the field for that. So I don't really have a whole lot of sympathy in that situation, to be quite honest, because you know, if the player was truly injured, then he should have come off when he when medicals with medical help right. Training staff should have been out there, or he could have gone off the closest you know, exit at the closest point of the field, and I wouldn't have had this issue. I'm sorry. I just don't have a whole lot of sympathy for that. And I'll be honest John, going into the next one, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for Kayla Porter. Period. You got hired and paid a decent amount of money to make a team good, and y'all are worse than Atlanta United, which takes a lot of you know, it's a lot to accomplish it this year.
Speaker 1: There you go, all right, So that was point number one, the exit which created a game time goal, and it stayed to too. The other incident has to do with adjudicating handballs once again, and in this particular instance, once again, it looked like it basically it was a joust, the jousting moment where you have two players going up, one on each side, and you have contact made. And Kayla Porter was of the opinion that in the contact and as the ball is coming down that it should have been a handball call on Saint Louis, and it was not. And therefore Caleb Porter once again was upset. Once again, go over, if you would please, the idea of handball and the the allowances that are given Center Refs when it comes to adjudicating a handball in today's game.
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing we're looking at here specifically, is does the ball touch a non playable part of the body. And it does, right. I think it's very clear that it touches somewhere above the elbow.
Speaker 1: At least it was right in here, you know, basically, you know, shoulder, rotator, cup ish headed down towards the bice.
Speaker 2: And it definitely touched you know, what I would consider an illegal part of the body, right, Like you're not supposed to be able to touch the ball with that part of body. But you know, was it deliberate? I don't think it was deliberate. So there's the first thing that we're checking off us the ball does not you know, the hand is not moved towards the ball or anything. The hand is, however, outside of the natural silhouette of the body. Right, he has made his body bigger by putting his hand up. So I think there is some legitimate question as to why this was not deemed a handball in the penalty area. But we're also looking at was there Was it a consequence of the The wording is justifiable by the player's body movement for that specific and that's where I think we get into the gray area here, John, is the player is jumping at, you know, to seemingly head the ball. We all know that in those situations your arms are going to come up. You know, you're gonna, in some way, shape or form, be using your arms to get more both height and protection. And I think the other thing that's not really talked about in the laws of the game that but that we do talk about a little bit in referee training is the idea of deflection or the amount of time you have to react to that. And it wasn't like it was I don't know, kicked directly into his arm, right.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like Kyle Hebert was thinking about it then, right, But yeah, it's like there was it was it was a natural reaction to try to contest for for a ball that was elevated. So Hebert is trying to jump up toward the ball to make contact and he's second to make cause.
Speaker 2: So I think there's a legitimate gripe. But I think for him to make this to be some sort of like you know, the referee should never referee again, I think is a very foolish thing. I mean, I would argue that Caleb Porter doesn't need to be coaching in this league again because the man hasn't been able to get a team into the playoffs and god knows how many years. So you know, this is one of those things where I understand the frustration, but this type of reaction is completely It's just unacceptable from Caleb. I mean, this is not a as clear cut as he thinks it is, especially given the fact that it's more of a deflection from you know, it's not like this was a long kick that was hid into his arm. It was definitely something that was a boom boom play. That said, had this been given a penalty kick, I don't think that Hebert could have been super upset with being penalized for that because, again, to quote the laws of the game, by having their hand slash arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand or arm being hit by the ball and being so yeah, it's a risk, and in this situation, I don't feel like it was worth penalizing. But had he been penalized, I don't think there would have been too much that he could have said that would have saved him. I don't think that it's I think both instances, I especially the substitution thing. Sorry, that's just the rules.
Speaker 6: Them's the rules.
Speaker 2: Them is the rules. And if you are injured then you need to make that clearer to the referee or something like something, you know, be like, hey, I can't you know, leave but he again, you can leave at any point in the field that's whatever closest to you. Uh, and then goes get medical attention once you're off the field.
Speaker 1: And the the rant toward Timothy Ford. While a lot of managers in Major League Soccer in front office, folks, I'm sure I have rants about Timothy Ford. Total Atlanta being won, the revs being one because Timothy Ford called three first half penalties against the revs in a game back in twenty twenty two against NYCFC. Carlos Hill did remember that when he was asked about it, you know, post match about just the game in general. But how large and like, we don't really have a base of operations here when it comes to figuring out length of fines and such. But how big a fine do you think? How big an envelope is Caleb Porter going to be getting from the League office in New York? How big a fine do you think he gets? And does he get suspended here? Do you have to make an example of Caleb Porter for the words that he said.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's a suspension, but I do think there's a sizable fine. You know, I don't have off the top of my head what a benchmark would be for another coach getting fined for referee comments. But I mean he'll get fined. It'll probably be a little heftier because of the length and the language use. It wasn't profane, but it was very strong. Yes, But you know, again, the other thing is I would agree that Tim Ford has had been part of some very contentious moments in MLS this year or even uh and in a year's past. So you know, he he probably is the referee who needs a little bit more coaching and a little bit maybe pay attention more in the uh you know, pre season modules talking about how do we be a little bit more consistent across referees across all matches. But you know, I again, I don't think these two instances are are something that is an egregious flaw by his refereeing.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's let's put the the reffing down here. Aside as you sample your earl Gray uh, the uh, the the US national teams plural they are, they are active right now. You have some Hawaiian te action going on, you have some M and T action going on. Let's start with They'll start with the good stuff. Alex Morgan yesterday retires.
Speaker 2: She does. So it was short notice.
Speaker 1: I mean I think it was Alex got to post it all and he's like, hey, guys, look over here, by the way. Yeah, and so the retirement, the retirement notice comes out on social media, turns out more than short notice. Twenty six thousand plus end up at Snapdragon to see her final match. She gets subbed out in the thirteenth minute. She gets a PK saved. Hey read the room. Come on, it's her last match. So Alex Morgan leaves in the thirteenth minute, very very cool moment where she takes off her boots and she walks off. When you think of Alex Morgan and her place in American soccer, whether it's national league, what have you, When I mentioned Alex Morgan, what comes to mind.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Alex Morgan as a player has been someone who has just been kind of us. She has set the standard for what US women's national team players have to be and have they conduct themselves for you know, twelve years now, and I think that that kind of ability to say this is as this is where you need to be as a national team player has been integral to the team winning back to back World Cups to during her time, maybe she wasn't part of it, but during her time winning two gold medals, winning another medal as well, she has been part of the greatest period of success in US woman's national team history. You know, she's also been part of some failures. You know, she was part of that twenty eleven team that failed to win the only time they've ever lost a World Cup. Final, you know, losing in penalty kicks to Japan. She was a part of that twenty sixteen Olympic team that crashed out in the first knockout round. But her leadership in her standard of play is the reason why they were able to rebound. You know, you remember in twenty eleven, Okay, well, they lose the final Japan. What do they do in twenty twelve that win a gold medal? You know, you get knocked out early in the twenty sixteen Olympics. What do they do, well, twenty nineteen they go win a World Cup And that was when she was, you know, a mainstay fixture of that team. But just her standard of play has been in a role on the field, but then John off the field is where I think she has been the most effective. You know, you think about the equal pay fight, you think about some of the sexual and personal harassment issues that Indaboiselle has dealt with. She has been a champion of those women who have come forward with their stories to make sure that other women can be safe in the league. Stories of her going over to Tottenham and basically demanding that they have better playing conditions and Leona and in Tottenham again. She expects the standard to play from herself and everyone around her, and then she expects the people off the field to give them a certain standard of support. And you know, I think that is something that will continue to live on long after you know, eight twenty whenever. And ended up being you know, thirteenth minute of the game last night when she was taken off.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 1: The U twenties Women's World Cup made it to the knockout stage in Colombia with a seven zero win over Paraguay in the Group C finale. They finished second in the group. Pietro Tordin had a hat trick and the second place behind defending champ Spain. They get Mexico on Wednesday, will be a match of the twenty twenty three U twenty Championship, which Mexico beat the US two one of the final. Only five starters from a twenty three team are in Colombia.
Speaker 2: By the way, Yeah, that a Mexico game and was a wild one. US completely dominated in Mexico, got two lucky goals and somehow won that game in Mexico, mind you. So, you know, they seem to always play these CONCA capt Championships in Mexico is quite funny. Yeah, that's it's a good opportunity. I mean again, I think on the men's side, I usually am a little indifferent about these tournaments. I'm just glad we're there and help we make out the knockouts. But on the women's side, especially this team, there's a lot of professional talent on this team. Particularly, and despite the fact that Tracy Kevins is still coaching this team for god knows what reasons, I don't know why she has been catapulted into the sun. She's a terrible coach. She continues to just squander talent anytime that she's ever been a part of coaching staff for this youth program. And I don't know why she's still here. I hope Emma Hayes that's the first thing that she actually does post Olympics is get rid of her. But this team is I'm sorry that was a rant that a lot of us in soccer face felt bro uh playing about Burhalter. But but this team has a lot of professional talent on it, Like literally, there's a lot of players who played professionally on this team. Uh. And and you need to start raising the expectation for this these age groups because just being there isn't good enough, and we need to start taking advantage of these opportunities to build not just team cohesion, but expand the player pool and really build out what needs to be the most robust player pool in the world. You know, I think, specifically to Mexico, you better go win. You're a better team than they are, you have been for a long time. And after that, you know, you just try to win the next game. But yeah, these youth tournaments for the women need to start being a little bit more emphasized and winning because we need to kind of reclaim that top spot. And and you know, Spain has dominated the youthful of ranks for a decade now. There's a reason they're one of the best national teams in the world. But we've got to start performing better in these tournaments to get back to that spot as well.
Speaker 1: Men's side, it looks like, and I use the words looks like, it looks like we're getting closer, closer and closer and closer and closer and closer to some kind of official announcement with trumpeted fanfare from parapets upon high in you know, Roman castles from the seventeenth century or something with the flags draping down as they would always do. Looks like we're getting close to Mauricio Pochettino because we had an announcement over the weekend. It looks like the staff, the main staff that he traditionally has and has headed all of his stops as far back as folks can remember, will be the staff that he brings in for the national team. So it's like it's gonna be Mauricio and his and his crew coming in here for this when this becomes finally final.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think people forget that. That's like a big part of these coaching negotiations as well, is who they can bring in. And you know, if patch costs a lot of money, his staff is going to cost a lot of money as well. And so again it's about how do we find that that money in the coffers for professorships? Yes, yeah, how do we how do we sponsor how do we get those endowments, uh to to keep those players or excuse me, those coaches with him? Yes, you know we did this with Emma. She got a lot of the staff that she normally has had with her throughout her time at Chelsea to come over again. There are there are a lot of things to these coaching negotiations, and one thing people do have to remember about US Soccer is it is not one person or one board necessarily making a decision. They're not just full time all the way there, you know, and they're certainly not in one location. So these things don't just come together. You know. The word is that they are meeting today to approve that, because you know they have to, you know, virtually. I'm sure that makes a lot of things a little bit easier, but you know, they're they're they're not those people aren't necessarily employees, if you will, of US Soccer. They're not on the clock nine to five for US Soccer today. So it it is coming together. Hopefully we have an announcement before tomorrow because by guy, we need we need to coach in here, cut John, someone who is going to hold these players accountable because their shares hell ain't seem to be able to do it themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I said, this is why I was building to this for the remainder of the segment, or however much longer you want to talk about it, up to the top of the hour, because I think.
Speaker 2: We talked about Alex Morgan again.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, well I think I think we're going to be able to have our guest coming up at the top of the next hour. So if this, if if technology works, it's going to be very very cool. I'm just going to go ahead now ask it this way. What in the blue hell happened in this matchup against Canada where apparently now if the if the the numbers are correct, it's the first home defeat to Canada in sixty seven years years.
Speaker 6: Man, what happened here?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we need to look at this on a couple of things. One, Canada cared a lot about this game, as they're going to care about every game because that's how Jesse Marsh coaches, right, He's going to be everything, s geared up for everything, and you know that's great. That can take you far, but it can also fizzle out really quickly, So good for him. They're still in the honeymoon stage of his coaching. They you know, they did finally figure out how to score goals, which was a struggle for the first like five matches. On the flip side, the US played terribly. No player seemed to want to grasp. No starter seemed to want to grasp the moment of an opportunity to prove themselves without a head coach that you know, there were there were guys on this field who had opportunities to really make their case to the new the incoming coach, whoever that might be, even if it's not poach ship could have been Mikey.
Speaker 6: I mean, hey, there you go. There, there's there.
Speaker 1: It is explicitly thirty six minutes in out a boy.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, no one seemed poised to want to make a name for themselves or show out in a good way, and there were definitely some players on this field who had chances to do that. I think Malik Tillman looked the best side of those kind of like not on the bubble players, but those players who needed to prove that they belong. I I will be honest, I'm very disappointed Caleb Whyley wasn't in this game because Christopher Lund provided very little of any sort of positivity on the field, right And Johnny Cardoso was a major disappointment. You just have to call it like an I mean, we've been wanting to see him for the US national team. He's performed well in Brazil, performed very well relatively going over to Spain. And the reason he were stumped why can't he play better with the US men's national team? Is it just because he's in a single pivot versus a double pivot like that shouldn't be the reason you still had unis Mussa dropping very deep. I mean, they were basically playing a double pivot, you know, it was there was a lack of desire from this men's national team that has been here and I'm sorry to go back to him, but it's been here since the second era of Greg Berholter taking over, and for some reason, some sort of malaise and complacency has crept into the system, crept into this program, and the guys do not feel like they need to actually improve upon what they did in twenty twenty two. And that's really really frustrating. And at this point you do have to question the players and their leadership because I'll call him out, Christian Polistic, He's just not that type of leader, right, That's not who he is. He's a I'm going to do it by how I play, And he didn't play poorly by any stretch, but you know, you were missing Tyler Adams, you were missing Weston McKinney, you're missing Jedi Robinson, guys who have been kind of those types of more vocal vibe, spased leaders. And you know, Tim Raim has said it, there are guys who aren't taking it seriously enough for you know, playing for the national team. At the same time, Tim Reim had a terrible game, So you know, how much of that do you take into consideration. You know, again we're trotting out Tim Raim despite the fact that all signs are saying we need to start moving on. So some of this is on Mikey. You know, there's a reason he hasn't succeeded anywhere he's been, to be quite honest, as a head coach, and you know, outside of a good you know, Conker Caffew twenty run, hasn't really had a lot of success as a head coach. So you know, there's that. It was frustrating they couldn't pass to each other. Part of that is because again the system that they continue to play, and Mikey's system is very different, not very different from Burhalters, if there is any difference, continues to be slow, continues to not demand players move into open space even to receive a pass. I mean that first goal was because Patrick Schulte took ten felt like ten minutes trying to find anyone who is moving into an open space. So he has to go short to Tim Riem, which invites the whole Canada team to do the one thing they want to do, which is press, and Johnny makes a really bad decision on a pass. He had plenty of time, he didn't have to do that. But when you're under pressure like that, you're going to make bad decisions. That's the red Bull way, and you give up a goal, you know. And then conversely, they defended with heart. They defended with determination, and that kept you off the board for the most of the game, as well as just flat out fizzling out attacks when you didn't need to because again we don't have enough support in the box, which is a common theme under Greg Berhalter and is continuing under mikey Virus because he's not a real head coach.
Speaker 1: The way that it laid out Jesse Marsh after the match, it was very very intriguing, and so hang on just second and let me get to the quote I'd rather coach our team right now, one percent, no questions asked. Marsh said after the win, you can see the mentality has been developed. You can see the way this team plays. You can see how much they love playing for the national team, willing to put their careers and lives and the way they play on the line to be the best they can be for each other and for the team. That's all you can ask for as a coach. Bart guess what, I'm gonna put a bookmark in this because our guest is early, and I'm hoping that I didn't scare Bart away because we were getting into we were really getting into the discussion about the US men's national team, and Luca called in early. So Luca called in early at ten a quarter to ten. He wasn't supposed to call in until ten o'clock, but he got in the hotel room and at ten thirty hour time, five thirty local. They've got to do their match day minus one press conference stuff with Moldova. So here's here just to recap before Bart comes back on. And Bart knows he's coming. So literally after they won and beat Liechtenstein, I reached out and I was like, okay, can we have some kind of a presence on the show all that. So Luca emails me back and he's like, yeah, we'll be in Moldova. I've got this window of like five to five thirty local time on Monday, and I'm like okay, And like I said, and that was what triggered making sure that Bart could be on and he could be on early. And then of course Luca hit all of his marks early and got all the green lights and came in at a quarter till. And so thanks to Bart for putting the rest of the segment on hold. But yeah, so that was Luca PELACIONI he's the press officer for the San Marino national team for soccer, and he dialed in from a hotel room and mulled over, oh brother, all right. So that was that was our number one And that was hilarious. It was fantastic and hilarious all at the same time. We need to figure out a way to get San Marino's national team over here for a friendly.
Speaker 6: That's what we've got to figure out.
Speaker 2: So that's the latest out of San Marino.
Speaker 1: And like I said, I just wanted to see if we could find someone that could put a voice to what happened. When you have a windless streak of twenty years and you have a win at home from someone who was nineteen years old and wasn't even alive when the streak started. To get that interview, it's fantastic. But no, I give full props to Luca for that and that was absolutely wild. But that's the beauty of the morning show that we have occasionally. And like I said that, I didn't know if it was going to work. I didn't know if Luca was gonna make it in time. I had him scheduled for ten o'clock when they were getting into the hotel, but he got into the hotel early and got into the hotel a half hour early and then punched all of his punched his green lights and here we go. Okay, so here's segment number two with Bart Hi.
Speaker 2: Bart morning again, Good morning, Will, Good morning Scott, Good morning Abbey oh Man.
Speaker 1: But no, h like I said, Luca PELACIONI is the press officer for the San Marie International team, And like I said, I didn't know if it was going to work, and it worked, and so we just.
Speaker 2: It is. It is celebration time out in San Marino in the middle of Italy. It was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you were yelling about uh, the second goal I don't know if I was yelling was you're still communicating. Okay, then you were sternly communicating about the defensive lapses with the United States and they're lost to Canada.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the frustrating part and I forget who said it in the chat, but you know, Tim reim at what you have been great for your country. You've been a great club player for a long time. But I think this is this is where you do have to fault mikey Varies for being a little too afraid to shake things up. I mean, the mission to me should be we need to start turning the page right, and you kind of even had leeway to do that with the fact that Jedi was out, McKenny was out, Adams is out, and most of those for you know, obviously Adams actually heard, but you know, we allowed the I kind of don't really want to fly over to the States right now, excuse to be which it should be. I mean, I think we've talked about this particular window being superfluous at best and unnecessary probably in reality, and not very well placed on the calendar. FIFA's talking about, if not removing that, moving it back into the month as well, because you're going to get players who are a little not quite ready. But yeah, I think that you need to start rewarding and punishing players for performances on the field. And I think this is something that the Burrhlter coaching tree values so highly training sessions and doing drills correctly and doing the instruction part correctly, that they don't seem to value the actual on field performance and production. And that's something that's been very frustrating, is you know, and it's led to Berholter holding on to players for way too long. It's led to you know, players getting complacent in their roles on the team. And Tim Reem is a perfect example of there's a reason why he can't be in this camp. I mean, he's a domestic center back, he's pretty experienced. Why not? But why does he need to be the locked in starter? Right? And if it's just because he does the drills better, well, yeah, he's thirty, dad guns seven years old. You'd better be doing the drills well at this point in his life, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, So that that's kind of where I think the mentality needs to start shifting. And I do blame mikey Varis for not seeing the opportunity to start a guy like Trusty or McKenzie, who if they screw up, then we learned something. And that's just where again, these friendlies need to be learning exercises. We didn't learn anything from Tim Breen screwing up a bunch other than he's probably not fit for international play anymore. But then you didn't necessarily bring in someone to you know, sub him off and say, okay, well here's your shot. Christopher Lund had a average day. This was the perfect opportunity for Caleb Wiley to get some playing time and say, hey, look we're struggling right now. Let's see if you can go and make something happen. You saw Aidan Morris take advantage of that opportunity, finally looking good for the in the Red, white and Blue. He's struggled on the international stage. Juxtaposing that to you know, Johnny Cardoso being a very poor performance. You know, those were good to see. You know, we still haven't seen Josh Sargent play for the US national team, I think since twenty twenty two, which is continuing to be a concerning trend for him. Uh. You know, Geo obviously got hurt this camp because you know the law of Geo ranas he can't be healthy for more than a week, and you know that was a problem. And that's that was just you know, frustrating. Is that it's one thing if you're bad, right because you put out a bunch of new players, or because you would try something new, or because hey, you know what, guys, the point of this friendly is for all of us to go play together and get some new guys some time on the field. If that was your stated goal, because we know the Burrhalter treat coaching Tree loves goals and metrics that have nothing to do with actually winning, then that's fine. But that wasn't what was presented here. And you put out a you know, it wasn't like you experimented much with your lineup, right, I mean everyone who played was like, a, well, of course you're going to play. Because for some reason, Brendan Aaronson is seen as a better soccer player than how do you write? Because he, I don't know, moves his feet quicker, even though he doesn't really do anything with that you know, Joe Scally is the obvious right back back up to Sir Gino desk. I don't think it was bad, but you know, just one of those things where it wasn't like you did anything to go well, you know, look, I'm the substitute teacher, so who cares. It almost felt like he took the Burholter. You know, Greg Burholter left a little folder with the instruction plant, the lesson plan for the day. For some reason, the dude is fired. Who gives a crap? You do something different? And he did it. He got too scared, and so I do blame Mikey a lot for this, even though he was you know, hot and said, oh, it's on the players. Well it's also on you, man. You have to set that standard because we've heard this from Burholter as well and from players as oh, well it's an intense training session. Well then why doesn't that transfer to the playing to playing in the game. You know, if you're going hard and intense and training, why aren't we Why is that not translating the games? So I'm leading this need to believe that there's not really the intensity that they think there is in training and they're just saying it is.
Speaker 1: Then you end up with the ratings which you pretty much have skewered here when it comes to everything. The oh, by the way, goal in the most dangerous league in soccer came from Luca Delatore An LDT scored with about twenty five to go, and once again you look at too little, too late. Mikey verus after the match that I love those guys, but the mentality to fight and run and to sacrifice, I can't do that for them.
Speaker 6: That's on them.
Speaker 1: It's a combination between me and them, all of us together. End quote from our friends at a presence.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't there. I mean you just you look at the ratings and no one did well except for Patrick Shulty, who I think does need to get a shout out. I think people were unfairly criticizing them for that first goal. Maybe should have done better, but Shorty was the only player who in my opinion, played well this game.
Speaker 1: Looking at our ratings, of course, from our friends at Soccer America, Shelti pol A seven, Chris richards A three, Tim Reema two, Christopher lund To four, along with Joe Scally midfield Units Musa three, Malex tilmana three, Johnny two forwards, Brendan Aaronson a three, ful air and baligant and Christian Polisic god fours. Subs Aden Morris of five l d t A six obviously with the goal, Hadgi Right of three, Cad Cowl a four and Peppy and incomplete obviously with the number of minutes that he that he did not play in the match. Gracious rating for Caid Cowell and Next up, US gets New Zealand at TQ Well on Tuesday seven o'clock Eastern kick with with this one when it comes to this particular matchup against New Zealand, I mean, obviously you've got to be you've got to do a make good in here somewhere and be out for blood. Yeah, at least figuratively.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the Greg Burholter mentality that's being transferred through Mikey Barras.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's where we're at.
Speaker 2: I mean, responses would be great, but we haven't seen this team respond to adversity really. You know, sure, they tied Brazil, a not very good Brazil team after getting smacked by Columbia, but it's not like they magically flip a switch and we're like, oh, this is how we play soccer again. So you know, yeah, you have to have a better response to New Zealand is a much worse team than Canada. So anything short of a multi goal win is going to reflect badly on everyone involved. I don't care who the coaches, and that's kind of what bothers me about this Canada game is I don't care who the coaches. The lineup we had and the players we have are better than the Canadian players. You know yet David larn and Davies are very good players, right, but we have players who should be able to match up with them. We have better overall quality and that did not show. And so that's where the frustrating part is. You know, who's going to start showing their actually good quality because right now not even Christian Poliitic is showing their good quality. And you know, again, you can tell me that you need to do this and that and that, but until you actually do it, it's just empty words.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're heading to this match on Tuesday and we'll see where it lays out there is there is a previous Soccer for us PO D episode that is out what are the next plans for a future soccer for you.
Speaker 2: The goal is to record on Wednesday afternoon. I'm flying to Pittsburgh for a certain football game this weekend backyard Brawl, so we better get it recorded by Wednesday so I can send it out to you. So that is the plan. Hopefully we're talking about Pochettino more this episode and not as much about the actual play in the field, because at that point it won't matter, right if you hire Pochaccino and you announce them before Tuesday or even on Tuesday, the performances don't really matter all that much because you can start talking about a new coach and not why this team can't seem to play better than the some of its parts after six years, seven years of trying to do.
Speaker 1: That, all right, So I'm before you go, I am looking at the schedule and I am checking the get in price as a subtle plug to our college football show that we have over on the OSG Sports side of things, where we look at football on a budget. And by the way, this is not football on a budget. If you are looking to go into this particular game at Actorshure in Pittsburgh right now, West Virginia two and a half point favorite. The total sixty and a half three point thirty kick on ESPN two. Get in Rice at the former Hinz Field is a low, low get in price of seventy two dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, that's what happens when you know a team that actually cares about football college football plays an acrochure, You're gonna actually have to take a Priceis that are at you know, Mark and tell you, oh boy, I mean, look, that stadium is going to be full packed capacity. Last time we played there, it was the largest crowd for a football game ever in this in Pittsburgh. It wasn't because of the pitt fans. I'll just tell you that right now.
Speaker 1: So we will be looking forward to the next go round of the soccer for us PO D, hopefully coming up before your departure. Otherwise you're cutting it into the Pittsburgh airport and we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: I'm not bringing a laptop with me on this trip.
Speaker 6: So oh okay, so we are cutting ties.
Speaker 1: Yeah wow, okay, So three thirty kicks Saturday afternoon. Once again, thanks for dropping by in part one. In part two, considering our guests from Uh from the Central Europe that came out of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well thanks John for having me. Everyone, Uh stay safe, stay healthy.
Speaker 1: Yes, stay stay, stay healthy, and continue drinking the Earl Gray.
Speaker 2: My friend