Speaker 1: Here is your CHANNELINE first morning weather forecast sunny day to day. I have eighty six happy summer Friday nights. Tonight, few clouds, dry anaalt sixty eight sunny day again tomorrow. I have ninety Saturday night low of just seventy one with a few clouds, and on Sunday up to ninety two degrees feeling more like one hundred sunny skies. It's seventy right now, It's time for traffic.
Speaker 2: From the UCUP Traffic Center. Right now, over one hundred thousand people are waiting and hoping for an organ transplant to save their life. Sign up to be an organ donor or explore living donation. You see how dot com slams transplant eastbound seventy four is crawling due to an accident before you get the two seventy five at the coal Ring split. At one point the highway was shut down. Now the right two lanes are blocked and traffic is backing up pass drive for over a six mile backup. Chucking rom Month fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Twenty nine above care City Talk Station, Happy Friday. Hope you have some good plans for the weekend, and I hope they involve indoor air conditioning activities given know how it is. I'm also so pleased to welcome back to the fifty five krs Morning Show from the Cincinnati Print and Type Museum, Gary Walton, Gary GOODI, you have you back on the Morning Show.
Speaker 3: Glad to be here.
Speaker 1: I would also thank my mom, who did a tour of the CINCINNTI Print Museum and was the one that alerted to me of its existence and maybe something that I should already have known about, because, as you explained last time, you're on and you can remind my listeners about the history and how close Cincinnati is and the history of Cincinnati and its connection with the print industry generally speaking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we are truly the sleeping Giant. There are over three hundred printers in Cincinnati, and I know that for a fact because I have them on my mailing list and I send them our newsletter every year. And we are the twelfth largest printing center in the United States, which is huge when you realize there are two one hundred and thirty metropolitan areas in the United States and we're number twelve. So there's fifty cities that are bigger than we are and we do more print. So our model here is life revolves around print, and it truly does in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: And you can tour the museum and we'll get some details on that. But also it's an education opportunity and a career opportunity to get in the print industry.
Speaker 3: Yes, So Tuesday the twenty fourth, and Wednesday the twenty fifth, and Saturday twenty eighth of this month, we are conducting a celebration of Gutenberg six hundred and twenty fifth birthday. It's totally free. It's an open house from ten am to three pm and people can come and actually print on our Gutenberg press a copy of Genesis chapter one in Latin, and then you go in the back room and you print it again in English. So you leave with a Latin copy and an English copy of the exact image that Gutenberg actually creative. And then while you're here, we're going to talk about crew opportunities in print and about actually placing. If you want a job in print, we can help you set up and get that. But also we're doing a lot of training lately, especially with adults with disability. That's our new focus right now, which we're just having a blast with and so you and you come, you'll actually get to meet a fad who has autism, and he will do a lot of the demonstrating on the presses for you, and you'll see how we're able to help this community find employment. And ninety five percent of adults with disability or unemployed, and our goal is to change that, especially here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Oh that's fantastic. I had no idea you worked with folks struggling with disabilities. So I have a friends. His son is Ausberger's syndrome, and the kid is, in spite of his autism, is really quite frankly, a brilliant, brilliant young man. Yes, and he is employed full time. And obviously there are opportunities. And the print is, as you mentioned, the Gutenberg Press, that has got to be So you're actually if I go there or one of my listeners goes there, they're actually going to operate that Gutenberg press themselves in printing the copy of the page of this Bible.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm gonna, I am. My staff will system, but people actually ink it up, they'll pull the lever. Yeah, they'll actually do it themselves.
Speaker 1: Oh that's neat, And how old is is the Gutenberg press.
Speaker 3: That you have, so so the original one is something like six years old, and that doesn't exist anymore. Ours was actually built in nineteen seventy one by a gentleman who was contracted by the Smithsonian to build one for them, and he had so much fun putting it together he built two more, so I have one now and then the Museum in Los Angeles as the second.
Speaker 1: Oh so he built three.
Speaker 3: Of them, and they're in the Smithsonian Los Angeles and now in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: So it's a rare thing to even see one in person, let alone operate it.
Speaker 3: We believe there's only in our research, there's only ten Gutenberg presses in the United States. So yes, this is definitely something to see, and we're becoming nationally known, an international not exaggerating. Yesterday Jones from Spain was here because you heard we had a press and he got to print on the Gutenberg press. And we've got people from all over the country coming. Google is doing a fantastic job of advertising for us. When you put in letter press printing, we pop up on as one of the first places to go. And we broke broke a record last year, over a thousand and three hundred people came to the museum, and a hundred those were from other parts of the country, and I think this year we'll probably double that.
Speaker 1: Oh that's wonderful putting you on the map and keeping you in growing your presence, and putting Cincinnati on the map too. As far as the printing industry goes now, I think when I think of the of press, honestly, when we've talked, or before we talked last time, and before I became aware of modern press and what that means, you know, I had in mind, you know, the the newspaper presses and you know how those run. You've seen them in movies a million times. And also Gutenberg Press and the type setters who put the little letters together in order to create the plate for the press. And that's all old school. When you were on last time, you talked about some of the modern printing that's going on. Give my listeners a little bit of insight and reminder about what that involves.
Speaker 3: So when you speak of printing, there are six different ways to put ink or tone of powder onto paper, plastic, metal, or wood. So printing is not just paper anymore. It's it's everything. So when you look at your Mac computer. There is printing on your Mac computer. When you look at your watch, there's printing on your watch. When you go in the kitchen your microwave, that whole panel was printed on a traditional press. So the industry is drastically changing, drastic growing. When I started in the seventies, I'll never forget. I was at gifts and greeting cards and we're running a press printing a fifty enth sheet of paper, fifty green cards on that paper, and we were going three five hundred copies an hour, which was fast. Today, I'll take you to that, it's just a similar plant and same press now printing ten colors and running something ridiculous of twenty thousand copies or sheets the paper an hour. So the speed is just incredible. We are using artificial intelligence, so we actually have the machine actually has cameras that are looking at the color making adjustments that they needed. And so this is really helping us be extremely productive in producing quality products. And one of my goals is I want Cincinnati to be a leader in this new technology called printing electronics. We're actually printing circuit boards and antennas and all kinds of electronic devices. Because in the next ten years every electronic device was starting to pressureroom because of the cost saving its huge cost savings.
Speaker 1: And that's honestly, that is one of the more fascinating elements about it. This is an evolving thing because again preconceived notions about what you know printing involves you think, well, this is an industry that's going to go the way of the Dodo, But no, it just keeps getting bigger, and the opportunities for printing, like those circuit boards, just keep getting bigger as well. So this is a career opportunity and you might want to check it out again June twenty fourth, and funny at twenty fifth and the twenty eighth as well. Yes, okay, Saturday, ten am to three pm. What's the address of the since Type in Print Museum, Because it's not just these events. You can go and visit at other times. And I'd like you to also provide the website. We'll have all this hooked up on my blog page fifty five Casey dot com.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're located at twenty three seven West A Street. There is a gravel parking lot on the right side, but also you can park on the street. We are open to the public at anytime. We are free. When I started this museum nine years ago, I decided it was going to be free so that anybody of any level financially could come and not have to worry about paying for a fee. Also, but I got to honest with you, it's a carrot to get you in, to convince you to go into print and make you ambassadors or our model, which is that your life revolves around print. You know, as you start looking at everything that's around you, most of you have for micro countertops, that's a pressure that we print it. You're putting this new flooring material into your kitchen, those are pressures that we print it and then laminate it to board. When you go into a typical Walmart or marketplace, throw over three hundred and fifty thousand packages, that all has to be reproduced every thirty days because we consume those packages. So printing is just huge and most people are totally ignorant of that. And like I say, we are the sleeping giant. And then again also I criticize ourselves. We are the reason why people don't know. And the museum is going to change that. It's definitely here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, Gary, that's why I loved having you on the program last time and why I'm glad you're back today because it is fascinating. It's much bigger than we ever knew about. And of course, being of the capitals of printing in the world and considering the size of the industry, career opportunities abound. Gary Walton from the Cincinnati Type and Print Museum, appreciate your time and what you do each and every day. If my listeners are interested, check out the information of the blog page fifty five kr see dot com and make sure you stop in and take a visit. You certainly impress my mom.
Speaker 3: That's always why to impress them with mother always why well, word of mouth.
Speaker 1: That's the way of getting things around, especially when she has a son who has access to well a listening audience. Gary, I'm happy to help you spread the word. Keep up the great work, my friend. I'm sure we'll have you back on the morning show down the Road.
Speaker 3: Thank you, my friend. Have a great Friday.
Speaker 1: Thanks you too. It's eight thirty nine to fifty five krs DE talk station Noko Away coming up. Richard Simon's got a book unplugg going back to kind of make me think about Dave Hatter this morning. He's got some good ideas and a book that will be available at fifty five kr SE dot com. Right back fifty five KRC Steve Parns coordinated