Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston.
Speaker 2: All right, for those of you who have just joined us, we're talking about a shooting yesterday that occurred during a peaceful pro Israel demonstration on Washington Street and Newton, not far from the Newton Police Department, I'd say three four blocks.
Speaker 3: There was an individual who was on the other.
Speaker 2: Side of Washington Street, who you've seen on the local TV stations tonight, rushed across the street. Basically, they had exchanged words. This guy was upset with the tone of the demonstration. They had exchanged. He had exchanged words, he decided to rush across the street. He jumped on an individual forty seven years old who apparently had a right to carry legally a firearm, and that firearm discharged. Whether he shot it or was discharged accidentally will be proven, you know, in the investigation, be shown to be to what happened. In the investigation. He's in the hospital with now non life threatening the person who care over an attack, the peaceful demonstrators in the hospital non life threatening injuries. The individual who was in the demonstration and who was jumped has been charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon. The gun as well as interfering with the constitutional rights of the guy that came over and jumped him. Now the guy that came over and jumped the group is also facing charges of assault and battery. So that's the story. It happened again in the middle of Newton.
Speaker 3: Just in the words of Rodney King, why can't we just get along.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna continue this for at least a couple of callers and then I'm going to switch topics. But folks kept stayed with us during the newscast, and as a courtesy of them going to go to jack and Newton. Jackie left me a voicemail earlier today. I didn't call you back. I didn't give you concierge service, but I assume you knew I was gonna be dealing with this issue tonight. I wish it called earlier.
Speaker 3: Because I was. I was. I thought to myself, g you know, where's jack so here? You're here? Now, what are your thoughts?
Speaker 4: Well, it took place about a mile from the police station. It was down toward the marijuana store over on the way down there to the Circle of Death. But it wasn't really a demonstration or it was a presentation of signs over the mass Pike and this guy charged him and he did you know, what he did was wrong. You know, it was one guy. I actually talked to my male man who knows his father, who lives just a few blocks away from me and from the incident, and he's a nice guy. But he got teried away with the pro Palestinian you know, anti Israel, uh, you know, mood of the country or whatever. And he charged him and that was wrong and he'll be charged with that.
Speaker 3: But this he has been charged.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you. I thought they were on so so they were demonstrating over the turnpike.
Speaker 4: Of Harvard and Washington, which is over there their Trader Joe's or whatever, or by the what they call it the Green, the Central's or something that's a marijuana sho. Yeah, that's a small street called Harvard Street. They were just showing, you know, holding science.
Speaker 2: I would I would call I would call it not so much a demonstration as what would would be called the standout.
Speaker 4: Political terms, it's called the presentation. Usually you're just showing science, they.
Speaker 2: Call it a standout. When when you have people with science, they call it a standout. But that doesn't matter. They were doing nothing wrong. They were not agitating anyone.
Speaker 4: But earlier than they were picked it in Congressman Ocean Closs's office. By the way, a lot of people don't know that either.
Speaker 3: Well, they have a right to do that as well.
Speaker 4: Right, so they had the right to do that. So it was wrong that this is the same group that broke up a non violent, you know, photographic display at the Newthal Light which was upset a lot of people, including many Jewish people. There was a peaceful presentation of photographs of Palestinians and this group. But you know, it's a very radical, you know, right wing Zionist group. I'm a left wing zion I.
Speaker 3: Will tell you this.
Speaker 2: The people who the reporters interviewed today who were there, did not seem to me to be radical. They seem to be They seem to be pretty normal. They look to me like very normal residents of the town in which we both live.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, if you rile them, if you go after them, you know they'll stamp you. I've been fighting these groups.
Speaker 3: Well again, you know, I take your word for it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: All I can tell you is I did you see the newscast tonight by any chance or no.
Speaker 4: No, No, I saw the newscast. I was down at the hearing. I was at the courthouse. Oh really, okay, I was there. What I'm say saying is that you should not bring guns to peaceful demonstrations. On both sides. It's a great danger to either side and to the police. I think the police were very upset that there were guns there. They have never in all the demonstrations in Newton by this group, they've never had guns before. The Palestinians who had demonstrations, they don't have guns. No, I think.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing though, you and I were in a demonstration together. We both saw each other at a demonstration where the signage that was I think it was at a home on Homer Street had been to face. The signs of the faces of the hostages one day had been defaced. There probably was at least a thousand people maybe more at that dem It was a demonstration. It was a very quiet, peaceful demonstration, you know, the one I'm talking about. Jack, You have no idea if someone has a right to carry a gun, uh, and they choose to carry the gun, and they're permitted to carry the gun, they have.
Speaker 3: A right to do that, whether you like it or I like it.
Speaker 2: I assumed that there might have been people at that demonstration that day who had guns.
Speaker 3: But there was no violence. There was no it was it was peaceful.
Speaker 4: So had there been, they would have used the guns. You don't know that be there.
Speaker 3: And you don't know that, Jack, You just don't. You don't know that.
Speaker 2: We don't even know if this guy shot the guy intentionally of the gun discharge.
Speaker 4: There was actually kind of somewhat unintentional. The actual the victim, the guy who were I mean not the victim, but the shooter actually helped him, helped the victim, I don't know who the victim is anymore, but helped them with the wound. He's actually a good guy. Both of them are good guys. This thing is a very unfortunate thing, even anti defamationally and the Americans with a console and everybody, all the leadership. Caesars is an unfortunate thing on both sides and should never have happened, and it happened I think because of the gun.
Speaker 3: Well, again, I know your position on guns.
Speaker 2: I'm just simply trying to say to you is that the guns are still legal in Massachusetts, and if someone has the right to carry a gun, they have a right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: They can't walk into a federal building with a gun. They can't get on an airplane with a gun. They can't go to Fenway Park. If you and I going to go to a Red Sox game, you got to leave your gun at home.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. You gotta go through a magnometer.
Speaker 2: So anyway, uh, Jack is always great to hear your voice. Thank you so much. Okay, all right, thank you. Let me get II Leen from Waltham in here. I lean, bring us back to the topic at hand, Go ahead, I.
Speaker 1: Lean, yeah, Dan, All we're so focused on guns. Guns are not of the violence the people are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I tend to agree, that's not my focus. If you if you ever write the carry a gun, uh right to carry wherever you want except places where it's prohibited. And it's not prohibited from the streets of Newton.
Speaker 1: So the violence, the violence, I mean the gun we focus on guns is if we if we get rid of guns, the violence in our society is going to disappear. That's a that's a total misconception. Agree with, total illusion. And secondly, if somebody comes flying across Washington Street towards me and jumps on me. I'm going to assume the guy is looney too, and he could do anything. You don't know, if you don't know if he has a gun, a knife or anything else or maybe.
Speaker 3: Well I've seen the video, and have you seen the guy.
Speaker 1: I know the streets very well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you don't go flying across Washington Street like that. That's crazy any situation.
Speaker 3: I agree with it totally.
Speaker 1: So this person is kind of flying against you. I mean your first reaction is what what's this guy doing? And the second is, oh my god?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I mean this guy who got attacked, I'm not saying it's a good thing or gun went off, god knows, but he certainly was taken aback and probably somewhat scared and scared too.
Speaker 4: I don't know how.
Speaker 5: You don't know, You don't know who.
Speaker 1: This guy is, and people in in that kind of rage have an incredible amount of strength.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's a two sided issue.
Speaker 4: I mean it was.
Speaker 1: You know, it's the same thing you disagree with some fine sit down and have a cup of coffee with them and talk. Yeah, how many violent confrontations in this country would have been avoided, and instead of going after as the opposing I wouldn't say a put counter group, we brought them coffee and donuts and talked to them. Yeah, I mean in Challengeville, if they if the anti I'm not bro by any stretch of measure white supremacy, and I'm not big on calling people names like that or any names either side of the issue. Instead of going after them, they're doing their peaceful protest. Don't go after them with baseball bets. Bring some coffee and donuts and talk to people. You might change a few people's minds.
Speaker 3: Not a bad idea, Not a bad idea.
Speaker 1: You know that actually is a group of people.
Speaker 6: That do that.
Speaker 1: Because my way is people that behave like that are probably themselves a little shall we say hurting.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 3: I think that's accurate. I'm not disagreeing with you at all.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think a lot of people who have that kind of feet inside them are just playing hurting. Who knows what their experiences have been in life that have generated that in them.
Speaker 3: Totally totally agree.
Speaker 1: Only God knows, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Your voice of sanity tonight, as you generally.
Speaker 1: Are become and kind, that's all.
Speaker 2: That's not a bad formul Thanks, talk to you soon. We'll take a very quick break. I'll take a couple more calls on this. I'll probably switch at ten thirty. So if you want to get in and get in now, or I'm gonna switch at ten thirty. I want to talk about the Karen Reid case. That is now, I guess I'm going to get up to the Supreme Court. They are holding a hearing, may hold a hearing in what's called the gatekeeper statute. I can explain that. I think it's a very interesting case of first impression. We'll talk about that and then at eleven o'clock tonight. Today's Friday the thirteenth. There are still a lot of people, including me, who get a little jumpy at Friday the thirteenth.
Speaker 3: I'd love to know what your superstitions are.
Speaker 2: We'll be back. We'll do that tonight in the twentieth hour, coming back on nights Side.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World.
Speaker 6: Night Side Studios on WBZ the news Radio.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's get a couple more calls in. Then we're going to switch topics. Let me go.
Speaker 2: Next to Antoine in Roussindale.
Speaker 3: Antoine, Welcome to Nightside. How are you.
Speaker 6: Hi? Good evening, How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great?
Speaker 2: If I ever had the pleasure of your call before. Is this your first time calling?
Speaker 6: First time calling? A long time listeners.
Speaker 2: Digital Studio audience. Gerett ahead, Antoine your comment.
Speaker 6: Thank you boy. I just had an opinion on the case because I believe the problem in this state is we don't have to stand your ground law, okay. And also this person that ran towards the person I didn't hear anything about he was holding a weapon.
Speaker 2: Or didn't From everything that I've seen, he did not appear to be holding a weapon, but he was running directly at them and in a what I would characterize as a pretty menacing manner.
Speaker 6: That is true, but I believe, beyond a reasonable doubt, you would have to know that this intent was to take the life or someone else's life in order to justify lethal force.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're correct on that.
Speaker 2: Now, if the guy is knocked to the ground again, it depends upon the facts.
Speaker 3: If the guy is knocked to the ground.
Speaker 2: And he feels that this guy has the upper hand and might try to he's on cement now at this point, he could a reasonable person could have an apprehension the standard you use as a reasonable person standard could have a reasonable reasonable person standard could have a reasonable fear that this guy is about to, you.
Speaker 3: Know, smash his head on a sidewalk.
Speaker 2: So the circumstances, you know, he didn't have a gun from what we could see, didn't have a knife or anything like that. But you got to look at the facts of the case. And I don't know, frankly, what the facts are. I know that they're not fighting in a field. They're fighting on a street.
Speaker 6: Corner, right, correct, And I'm very familiar with that area. And I'm just following a case, and I follow a lot of cases, so I'll just be interested on seeing how this plays out, and I hope it plays out for both parties in each other's favor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with you. I mean, it's so unfortunate.
Speaker 2: If the fellow who is now in the hospital had just you know, made his comment and walked away or stayed on his side of the street, this this would not have gotten to this point.
Speaker 3: That's the problem.
Speaker 6: That's a million dollar question is what was this guy's intent when he ran across the street toward these people? And he can. We would only he only knows that in his head.
Speaker 2: He well, you also judge his actions, and he apparently immediately jumped on this guy and they both went to the ground.
Speaker 3: So if if you if.
Speaker 2: I'm standing there and you're come running at me as fast as you can and you hit me, We're probably both going down to the ground.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, right right?
Speaker 2: Hey, Edge one, thank you much for calling. I really appreciate We love new callers here. Thank you for listening. Become a regular, look forward to calling number two.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you, thanks for having me. Have a good night.
Speaker 3: Thanks Antrewine, appreciate you listen. How old are you an? You're selling you young guy.
Speaker 6: I'm forty four years old.
Speaker 2: To me, Andrein, that's a real young guy, trust me. Thank you, my friend, have a great night.
Speaker 3: Good night. All right, let's well wrap this with my friend Ed from Worcester.
Speaker 1: Ed.
Speaker 3: You're a lawyer, your perspective on this case as even though.
Speaker 5: I guess for I had a couple of questions for you. Sure is this the kind of joy I can look forward to in the Kamala Harris administration. We're going to get more of this.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it is anything to do with Kamala Harris.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't. I thought you might say that. I have to say I don't agree with that because one of her surrogates, more Healy said during the twenty twenty riots, she said the way for hors grow is to burn, And to me, that was an endorsement of some illicit and violent activity. And I suspect this guy, you know, your collar Jack was vouching for him, but I suspect he has been indoctrinated to believe that words are violence, the words are actions.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I believe that she has rescinded that remark.
Speaker 5: I believe, well not it never should have been said, It never should have been and certainly absolutely right.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more, but I just want to put it in some you know, full context.
Speaker 5: Right, right, But the presidential the presidential nominee of the Democrats did support a bail fund for people who clearly had committed felonies, absolutely and has never really backed away from that, to my knowledge.
Speaker 3: Has not.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, go read the the A c l U which I'm reading the A c l U campaign. A survey that she filled out for the ACLU when she was running for president in twenty nineteen, pretty much.
Speaker 5: So that leads to my second question, which is, I'm kind of scratching my head. You know, why are we surprised by this? This is where it's goleading. I mean, this is where we're headed. This is we're going to get more of this.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope not. I fear you might be right.
Speaker 5: Oh I know, I'm right. I'm sure.
Speaker 4: I'm right.
Speaker 5: I'm certain I am. I mean, it can't be otherwise, because this is you know, the point is.
Speaker 2: You and I should have the right head to standard the street corner and hold a couple of signs and have a I call it a standout. These people are standing there expressing their opinion, which they have a right to do under the First Amendment. The guy who ran across the street not only to confront them, to assault them, he had no right.
Speaker 3: To do that. Okay, he didn't.
Speaker 2: He could stand across the street and yell at them and say you guys are jerks, or at whatever he wants to say.
Speaker 3: He's got a First Amendment.
Speaker 2: Right too, but he doesn't have a right to do what he did. Sadly, for him, he suffered, he suffered a pretty serious wound. Apparently he's going to survive, and a pretty serious gunshot wound.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this is not this is not the way it's supposed to be.
Speaker 5: Right, But the thing is, it's not the way it's supposed to be. But you saw the survey a week or so ago that said something like, I can't remember, it was high twenties or low thirty percent of young people think that they have the right to stifle or silence someone who was saying something they don't agree with. And then there was another sort of fifteen or twenty percent or at I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't care if someone else did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting enough, But you know, we have seen that on college campuses as late as this spring, and I suspect we'll see more of it this fall.
Speaker 2: And what happened to the axiom that you and I grew up with, which was I disagree with your opinion, but I will defend to the death your right to express your opinion.
Speaker 5: Well, i'll tell you what happened to it. When the political left is out of power, this is what they say. You have to respect our right to speak and our right to protest because that is in accord with your principles. That's what they say to people like you and me. But as soon as they get power over any institution or any political entity, they say, we're not going to respect your right to protest or dissent because that's that's what our principles are. That's what happened to it.
Speaker 3: I think that's a pretty good summary.
Speaker 5: Ed you better do that.
Speaker 2: We are pretty much on the same page politically and philosophically, and we're both attorneys and we we we we pride the First Amendment. Are there a lot of countries around the world, there's no such thing as the First Amendment in those countries are all dictatorships. We had the First Amendment in this country.
Speaker 5: And I think to you about six months ago when they said Bosting City Council voted down that brant for law enforcement fan, I said, I really think the most sensible thing at this point for this country is a national divorce because we just we're two different countries. We just don't see things in compatible terms.
Speaker 3: All do that in the early eighteen sixties.
Speaker 5: Well, I think you could do it amicably or not amicable. It's not amicably, at least peacefully.
Speaker 3: I hope not. I hope not.
Speaker 2: I have too many good friends of mine who still live in places like California.
Speaker 3: Ed, we'll see. Look, I love you calls.
Speaker 2: They're always challenging, and I appreciate your demeanor more than I can tell you.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you my friend.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, I love calling. I love listening to you.
Speaker 2: Thanks, pal, appreciate it. Talk So Eddie Worster a real good lawyer if you need one up in Moorster. Now we can back the Karen Reid defense team is taking her case to the Massachusetts Supreme Court, and I think they got a case.
Speaker 3: I really do.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure they're going to prevail, but I think they have a good argument. We'll be back on Night's side with that for the final half hour. So we're going to close off the Newton case. Everyone had a chance to speak on that. I want I will explain to Karen read effort to get her case immediately in front of the State Supreme Court. The argument is that the jury did meet, they came to two decisions. The judge never asked the question that should have been asked when they reported to the judge that the jury was hung. She should have asked, does that mean you're hung on all three issues or on some of the three issues? One or more of the three issues. That question was never asked. This is a case of first impression. The stakes are high. I think there is a double jeopardy issue. I'll explain it all if you guys know the case. Open up the full lines right now, Rob six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty six one seven, nine, three, one, ten thirty. We'll get to as many people as we can in the final half because we are in the twentieth hour at eleven o'clock tonight, going to talk about superstitions. What are your superstitions on this Friday the thirteenth, Coming back on Nightside