Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Sheresmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hellollo, welcome back. How are you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all right once again. I've come to this with nothing exciting to say.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not been a very fun week, has it.
Speaker 3: Well, no, it hasn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're just for I don't want to know when the hell.
Speaker 3: This will go out, but oh ages away just after.
Speaker 2: The elections, so it's a happy time in the UK.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quite depressing, isn't it.
Speaker 2: M As far as Trump, there's all these things, it's so sad.
Speaker 1: It is very sad. Yeah. I said to you though the day, deny if this is an indication of what's to come, and I have to find myself here in the words prime Minister Nigel Farage, I'm going to be physically sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's not like they've even got that many votes. Really, it's just where they'd land and did they never talk about that. It's just where the boundaries and constituents are.
Speaker 1: And I would say it's worse in America, but if that's true anymore, they.
Speaker 2: Do seem to redraw the boundaries a little bit more there, but they do. Yeah, and you can't have freedom and Jerrymander at the same time, Like it just really annoys me. But anyway, I.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't get anyway, this is not.
Speaker 2: A no sorry have you been not to anything else exciting?
Speaker 1: Well, actually segueing from that time recording our last Night of the Problems episode just came out, so actually quite appropriate in some ways to that, And yeah, I thought I'd throw caution to the wind and actually do a poll of listeners and see who prefers Jam first or Cream first, but also whether you voted remain or leave.
Speaker 3: It was a correlation, and what was that?
Speaker 2: What was the what was them?
Speaker 3: I on this There was not a correlation.
Speaker 1: We have some graphs as there probably wouldn't be, but the overall winner was Jam first remain, So okay, I was happy with both of those decisions. But yes, won't comment further on that just in case gets me into trouble.
Speaker 2: But yeah, which I have viewership dropped between Cornwall and Anyway.
Speaker 1: So at the time of this going out, you'll have heard our episode on Nine Lives Cat and I wonder if you spotted our hair did it was?
Speaker 2: Why is owl?
Speaker 1: I have a message to read out and this one comes from owlsome on Twitter from who Owlsome?
Speaker 2: Oh okay and why's alsam got in touch? Thanks for our listener, Alsome for providing a segue in there for it.
Speaker 3: Yes that was Oh yeah, we can use that capitalize on you, so thank you.
Speaker 1: Listen that for another one this week.
Speaker 2: Indeed, while we discuss series seven, episode four, Kidnap, Shane and Clifford have a plan to abduct the wife of a wealthy hedge fund man Shane, Shane and Clifford have a plan to abduct the wife of a healthy of a healthy going well is it? Shane and Clifford have a plan to abduct the wife of a wealthy hedge fund manager. If you won't pay them the money, they'll sniffer ears off to prove their mean business. Everything in the plan depends on everyone playing their part right to the end. Totally fool proof, isn't it.
Speaker 1: This is like, you know, if you've ever been to a sitcom recording, but when something takes so many takes and then the final one gets a big round of applause, the number of takes you to do that.
Speaker 2: I really should read these in advance. I claim I like the spontaneity.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, what do you think about Kidnap?
Speaker 2: It was? It was really I really enjoyed it. I couldn't really remember. I remember having a twist obviously, but I couldn't remember really what it was because it's been quite a while since I've watched this. Mm hmmm, Yeah I was. I was pleasantly surprised it was. I really enjoyed it, how about you?
Speaker 1: For me, it was one of those ones that first time I watched it, I was a bit like, oh mah, But then having sort of watched it again several times, is grown on me each time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not a serious one, but it's just one of the fun ones. Yeah, and it's another one with a bit of a gimmick, which I quite enjoy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is quite clever.
Speaker 1: Really. Yeah, the split screen, I mean, the whole, the whole, the way the whole thing's shot and editor together is really clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They go on in the podcast about how this was the episode that they never thought they'd be able to make, just because of how much of an night where it is a bit like cold comfort, having all these scenes that overlap, but making the timing work and the same with sort of thinking out loud that you have to cut all these scenes separately that are one takes largely and know that the episode's going to run correctly, Like you've got some scenes in this where it's three different long single takes that have to all overlap over each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I maybe you can tell me having listened to the podcast, but I was wondering if some of it was like you know, when you've got Reese in the office on the phone and then them in the house, Like was that done in real time with them round the corner from each other?
Speaker 2: No? Oh wow, it was all on separately.
Speaker 1: So that, yeah, that must be a challenge.
Speaker 2: They did hope that, like in an ideal world where money's not a problem, they'd be able to build the sets nearby and yeah, run the scene all at once, but no, but.
Speaker 3: They love a challenge. Hmmm.
Speaker 1: I think the whole split screen thing is is best summed up in the just the opening section, isn't it, with the morning routines and yeah, the complete contrast, but they somehow sort of fit together as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's so cool that opening scene. It's it's gross, but it's it's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't even notice on my first watch or so, I didn't even realize the joke of herb on the toilet and then him pouring the beer or whatever it is, but like, yeah, that's quite obvious. Actually, maybe if it had been split screen the other way around, with her on the top and hit his glass underneath.
Speaker 2: Well that would have been clever. Yeah. The intro goes on for a very long time in.
Speaker 1: This one, Yeah, before you get the nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about four minutes in before you get the nine. Yeah, and we get to our actual location.
Speaker 1: Well that's worth mentioning, isn't it. The fact that it's you know, we've said before, but this is one that it really plays quite fast and loose with the number.
Speaker 2: Nine thing really does, doesn't it, Like, yes, all the action, like the focus of the thing is that nine, but we do go with the places. Steve said that he was like at pains to keep it there, and like the whole point was that he was like, well, if we've only got a little bit of the split screen that's there, then it counts and all this thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I can buy that, but it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It still doesn't work. Like there are screens where it's full screen just that office Oh really yeah, I'm out on the street and stuff, and I'm like, oh, oh well, I don't I don't really care that much.
Speaker 1: But it is a little i'd like I think we've said before, but like now we're series seven, Like, come on, they're they're they're pushing the boat out in different ways and experimenting in different ways going you know, I think letting them put a toe out of the line of what their initial thing was is okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll let them off it. Just it just slightly annoys me that they could have had a split screen of it. There's no reason why they couldn't.
Speaker 1: I wondered if the number nine that's on the wall being like just a fragment of it is if that's like almost the hint of that that it's like, it's only a little bit number nine, it's not the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably just me overthinking it.
Speaker 2: But I like it. I like it. They said that they didn't like that so much of the beginning is in a different house, and then Reese was like, well, I guess it could we don't see wait, yes, it was a number nine.
Speaker 1: We'll go with that.
Speaker 2: It's like totally wreckcons it.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about our characters then. So we've got the wonderful Daisy Haggard as Lara.
Speaker 2: She's great, who had previously been in Psychovilla Believe she was, Yes, so I can't remember what she was it.
Speaker 1: She was, Yeah, she was in a pantomime playing like the princess.
Speaker 2: Was she like the snow white character?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, oh that was it because it was all the seven Dwarfs, wasn't it? So she was snow white? Yeah? But then she's always she's so funny, she's always great. Did you watch episodes no, TAM's and Greg and Stephen Mangen and Matt LeBlanc playing himself.
Speaker 2: No, but I do remember yeah, I was thinking of extras, but no episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no episodes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I remember her being in that. She had a tiny role in that, but it was so funny, like she was one of the American execs and she just used to sit there and just make these faces like hmmm all the time. And she's just so good at it.
Speaker 2: She's so funny. I've not seen her in a lot of things, but whenever she does pop up, she's always great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she is married to Dominic.
Speaker 2: Indeed, played by Reese in one of his worst characters.
Speaker 1: It's awful. It's cringe, it's skin crawely.
Speaker 2: It really is like he's played murderers that I identify and understand it more like it's just really really needs to slap o. The main character is Shane Daniel Mays, Yes, who's fantastic as well.
Speaker 3: He is. He's a funny bloke, isn't.
Speaker 2: He He really is. He totally goes all in on it on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like as well that it's not like recent Steve are in it, but they aren't by any means, the main characters.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that it's almost like it's a nice change. They're just little cameos almost, which is quite nice. Yeah, especially Steve, like he's really on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: They said that they did the originally in visit that it would be Reese playing the Clifford character and Steve as the Daniel May's character, the Shane character, and then we're like, no, maybe not. We'll find we'll find some other people and they can do it and we'll just sit in to bother.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It makes a nice sort of refreshing change. Not not that we get bored of seeing recent Steve, because we love it.
Speaker 2: It's nice to have a bit of it, yea.
Speaker 1: And bring in some some different talent and put them in the in the spotlight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give them chance to shine. And speaking of talent, Jason Isaacs, Yeah, in a hell of a name to get in.
Speaker 1: For such a small small dies after about two minutes. Yeah yeah, yeah, great, very striking and sort of Yeah, he commands the screen.
Speaker 2: He really does. He said he'd been a fan since the Leager Gentleman days apparently, and been asking to be in stuff, and so yeah, they offered him this and you've jumped at it. It is only a seen.
Speaker 1: It's just kind of a shame when that happens because you think, oh, you know, it's like Zoey want to make her in the Yeah, when she was in it's like it's just such a great actress, like for such a sort of throwaway a part.
Speaker 2: I guess it's always the problem when it's it's all self contained twenty five minute episodes that always gonna Yeah, but some sort of someone like Christine or something.
Speaker 1: There are others that are more sort of you know, ultimately, like Keey Hawes, even like she gets she gets a good chance to shine in that episode, I suppose, whereas others it's like, you know, in and out.
Speaker 2: I really remembered Jason Isaac's being in this, and then I was really shocked how little he was in it. When I was today, I thought you were a much bigger part than this.
Speaker 1: So Shane is dressing as a postman yep, yeah why not quite ill fitting uniform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally covering up his holster and everything.
Speaker 1: So Dominic goes off to work and there's a ring at the bell because she's waiting for a parcel, and she gets knocked out by the postman and dragged off.
Speaker 2: I quite know how he did all this, but it's off screen. So it's fine, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: So then he takes her to the number nine, which is this it's guessing an abandoned house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lovely run. Yeah, and at this point it's been relatively serious.
Speaker 1: Yes that's true. Yeah, it sets it up as quite.
Speaker 2: Sure of the toilet beer joke, like, yes, it's been relatively serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, quite dramatic. She wakes up in this house, tied to a chair and lovely Shane's got a lovely monkey mask on.
Speaker 2: Four sizes too small, Yeah, it's so tiny. Where did you get this from?
Speaker 1: God knows, same place he got the little plastic voice change of things.
Speaker 2: Probably did they ever? Do they exist in real life? They only seem to exist in film and TV?
Speaker 1: They do, because I've seen one at my school. I used to work out six production. Someone brought one in to use it as a prop. Okay, so yeah they do, but they always always I always find it weird because like, you can still hear the original voice behind it.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: I don't really see what the point of it is.
Speaker 2: No, not unless you're in this setting where you can remove one of the voices exactly. If it's live, it's a lot Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, nice joke there. It starts on the wrong setting and it's all high pitched.
Speaker 2: Do you want a Glovese water?
Speaker 1: So it's this trope a bit like we had it in a quiet night in where you've got these this hopeless criminal and that he does do it very well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he plays bumbling for very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very funny.
Speaker 2: So I love the fact that at this point with it, it's all quite serious. Someone's been kidnapped, she's been tied up, she's in a derelict house. Is she going to get murdered? And then it goes quite quickly to oh no, this is a comedy this week mostly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I have actually already heard your voice and I actually have already seen your face, So this is all kind and largely irrelevant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really interesting, isn't it? Playing with genres because the setting is so gritty and dramatic, and then it just completely sort of upends it and it's like, you know what, we're just going to piss about basically.
Speaker 2: Telling me to take the mask off. I'm confused.
Speaker 1: I love it as well as the status, like she's she's clearly like so much more intelligent than him, and you know, and he's just like bumbling around, like I don't know what to do, and she's like, I don't mind, just you know. So when he leaves the room, she tries to phone out husband. I found it interesting that she had to scroll down and his name was dominic Z. And at first I was like, oh, well, you know, maybe they've got different last names. But then later on he calls himself dominic Aren't. Oh, he does introduce himself as that, So I'm like, why unless for some reason she wants him to be right at the bottom of the list of her contact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't, as you were literally just saying that, I wonder has she renamed him to that so he's at the bottom of the list so that she can easily find his number with her hands tied. Yeah, spoilers for the end of the episode. But why why you wouldn't have just a and had it be at the top of the list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be.
Speaker 2: A lot easier, or like a symbol or something and at the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but strange. Yeah, but yes, he's a twat. He is ordering his machiata or whatever it is at.
Speaker 2: Least three shots. I think he said how many do you want me to get you, sir? Come back with twelve for that be.
Speaker 1: Better at least three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty.
Speaker 2: Much every number there is. Yeah, when shall I stop?
Speaker 1: And then we have Shane phoning him and he think that she's doing phone sex.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, here wild Poorshane's trying to do his best like tough man routine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my first question here is why one point three million that.
Speaker 3: Is the ver It's such a rangely specific number, such.
Speaker 2: A specific amount, and they never address it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very good.
Speaker 2: Not that I care. I'm just curious as to why it was specifically that much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really good point. I've not thought of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I could understood it if it was one point eight and they were just doing it to add up to nine or something silly like that. But but it doesn't. I assume there's probably it's one of these cases of we just see a snippet of what happened, and presumably there's weeks of planning went into this, and there's a total reason as to why it's one point three. We just don't ever find out. Yeah, it always struck me as a bit weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know, I've never sent a ransom thing, so I can't really comment. So then she again and Shane catches her phoning him, which is quite a scary moment when he's like, you shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 2: I've done that. Yeah. All the while, I don't know if Dominic's worked out what's really going on. No, I think I still think he's largely oblivious.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a bit weird when he said to him on the phone, he was like, she's waiting for a parcel. I was like, oh, are you the postman? Like, why would the postman be phony? That just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: He's only been listening to half this conversation, doesn't he.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he does not care nough.
Speaker 3: He plays that so well, he really does.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, he's so slimy and awful. Well it's not even that, it's it's just a knob.
Speaker 1: He's an absolute knob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just so wanky it's awful.
Speaker 1: And there's the question of you know, does does your husband love you more than he loves money? And the answer is obviously now, yeah, everything's a business transaction.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that brings us onto this. Yes, no, game, I didn't understand it. I had to google because I don't think I've ever played this game.
Speaker 3: Oh have you not come across it before?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I was really confused as to why he was like, oh, you got me. I didn't really understand what was going on until well.
Speaker 1: I played it with kids at school, and I think it's also like a drama sort of game as well play.
Speaker 2: I couldn't understand what she'd worked out from him, I see, and also why they would have been playing a game just to pass the time was just very confusing for me. Yeah, when I didn't know what was happening.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's so funny when he's trying to It's like you can see his little cogs going around as he's trying so hard to answer her questions. Like it did not.
Speaker 2: I know he's obstensibly the most evil person in this room at the moment, but in this story, but yeah, he's quite sweet in some way.
Speaker 1: Even if he does break people's legs for money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got to learn a living. So Clifford arrives, he does just like why are you playing this game? I don't know?
Speaker 1: And he mentions to Shane about not getting too close to her. Because he says, you know what you've got to do at the end of all this, which I have questions about maybe a bit later. Yeah, I do love that bit where he gets all serious and he marches in and he's like, you know, I you've been playing this, yes, no game? Well yes this and no that, and no we're not playing games anymore. Well you'd have been out of ages ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a very odd dynamic going on in this room. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So Shane goes down to the shop and then we get the reveal that it's been staged and Laura and Clifford are in it together.
Speaker 2: Yep. Classicist kidnappy trope that they're in it in advance. Different plot to what you think. It's not the most original story in a way, but I like how it's presented.
Speaker 1: So they're planning to basically get the money and leave the country yep, start a new life together.
Speaker 2: Ditch push Shane behind. He ain't getting a cut, yeah, passport, So how's he going to chase us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's not going to go to the police.
Speaker 2: Which makes me wonder. So now we've got that out of the way, that that's there's a double cross thing going on. Why is Shane involved in this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not really necessary, is it.
Speaker 2: Don't get why he's there.
Speaker 1: It just over complicates things really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially when he doesn't know, Yeah, exactly. That's so presumably he's a loose end they have to tie up or yeah, escape, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's It makes it quite a dangerous plan to have this person involved. Who who does this sort of thing, Yeah often and and thinks this is real. Yeah, and not not telling him.
Speaker 2: It's like the worst thing, surely when you've done a crime is to have someone around that is annoyed it because of like you double cross someone.
Speaker 1: That's very true.
Speaker 2: Why engineer that in? Yeah, I don't know, especially like he says that he doesn't have a passport, he's not going to go to the police. It's not like they're playing on killing him and likes the tiding it up, like they're planning on just escaping and leaving him behind.
Speaker 1: M I guess they think there's nothing he can do though either way, I guess. But it does seem like a liability.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, liability being the main Yeah, like he could have sucked up any of the kidnapped bit, whereas if the other two are already in it. She could have just walked herself there. Yeah, no one needs to be tied up. It's all over the phone anyway. She didn't even need to leave the house. Really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a very good point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, not that I care, because it is a comedy at the end of the day. Yeah, but I just found it odd. Yeah, the suspension of disbelief.
Speaker 1: So at this point they phone Dominic. Then he wants to be sure that his wife is safe.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he.
Speaker 1: Doesn't want to show out the money if she's already dead, which I mean, I understand, but yeah, it's just the way he's you know.
Speaker 2: The way he says it. Yeah, I want to know if my wife is still alive. Like, that's what you need to all the other ships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, before you'd buy her whatever cars he says, you know, you take a chest dry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unseen.
Speaker 1: And they're they're looking at each other like, oh my god, what a cock.
Speaker 2: And we've got to help this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I meant, I meant Clifford and Lara looking at each other.
Speaker 3: Sorry, but yeah, that back too, that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And apparently Lara's asked him to divorce her. But he's refused, so yeah, I don't really understand. Like, he obviously doesn't love her, so you know what's it to him?
Speaker 2: I guess it's probably an embarrassment thing. It's as true status thing to all his friends, So.
Speaker 1: True, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just doesn't want to lose face. I guess it's probably the main Oh he's.
Speaker 1: Just a husk, isn't he?
Speaker 3: That was so camp. Oh it's just ask.
Speaker 2: Me, yes, yes he is. Yeah, he's got this like perfect life as far as anyone's concerned. But yeah, the wife leads you for some comments come as far as he will be concerned.
Speaker 3: I love how clinical that office is.
Speaker 2: It's weird class paper weights at all. Yeah, generic view of London.
Speaker 1: So Shane comes back, and because Clifford had untired Laura to make him more comfortable, they suddenly have to panic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it obviously goes as well as you could have ever hoped for.
Speaker 1: In that he ends up shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Clifford said not to bring any weapons and he's brought gone along, which, like you said before, the risks of having Shane.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know Yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly. This is exactly why he shouldn't have been involved, No, and Clifford's now paid for it.
Speaker 2: M M.
Speaker 1: I love that they include this. I mean, it's such a cheesy cliche, isn't it. That thing if there's a gunshot and then no one knows who died who's been shot. I don't know, have you seen. I'm sure there's a TikTok that I've seen where it's like it's that troupe but it's like extended to the ridiculous and it's like.
Speaker 2: Like a day or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and each each.
Speaker 1: Each new shot, there's a new person that it could have been. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, the one I've seen was like two people and then like this guy gets home and he goes to get undressed to go to bed and finds a bullet woman and then suddenly drops down dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, that's hilarious.
Speaker 2: You know, it doesn't hurt until you see the blood exactly. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, cliches aren't necessarily bad, especially in comedy like this. It's sometimes it's just part of the vocabulary of of storytelling, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, cliches are a cliche for a reason. It's like they're good a lot of the time. Yeah, they keep being redone just because they're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously she's kind of upset that her lover has died yep, and he tells her, you're just suffering from the Stockport syndrome.
Speaker 2: A great joke that never gets addressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just goes out over her head.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But bless him as well when he says, oh, you'd probably be the same if I died, and she's.
Speaker 3: Like, no, I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: You stupid fucking idiots, poor Shane. Yeah but yeah, in the absence of his boss, he decides to stick to the plan yep, and ties her back up again.
Speaker 2: Cut her off. So she at this point tries to tell him what the plan was, and he doesn't believe her, because obviously why would he.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah. Dominic receives the ear lobes in a bag.
Speaker 2: Do you recognize these?
Speaker 1: Do you mean the ears or the rings?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember my pa picking them out a couple of Christmas ago. Of course, yeah, his pa picked them out.
Speaker 2: It's gonn you toss up in this episode between do I say or bless him about Shane or how much for toss pot?
Speaker 1: Dominic is yes, yes, since you've mentioned toss pot, because yes, there's a great moment there where Steve just calling that after he leaves, which is so like earned, it's brilliant. But I was going to say, fun fact about the word toss pot. Do you know where it comes from?
Speaker 2: I don't see.
Speaker 1: Well, people assume it's to do with tossa and like masturbation, it's it's actually an old fashioned thing for someone who drinks a lot, because they.
Speaker 3: Toss a lot of ale pots back. So yeah, fun fact and something the every day as well.
Speaker 1: Dictory Corner volume two. But yes, So we cut back to Laura being bandaged up mh and Dominic's told that he has to go to transfer the money in person.
Speaker 2: They've given him where the address is because they already sort of roughly know where they are because they've had a gunshot mm hmm. And because this isn't America, can work out where we are probably. Yeah. Fun extra fact I'm going to throw in here from the podcast they learned originally they wanted in the script there was going to be four locations. So the office that'd be the original house to be this house, and originally the house that they were in was a semi detached and the police were going to break in in one of the cuts, in like one of the screens in a split screen, and like you'd see them break, you know, sneaking through the house and everything, and then they'd break through a door and it'd just be a little like family and the kids and stuff, and they broke into the wrong house and it's just next door. They've gone into Bay mistakes. Yeah, yeah, but they decided it was far too much work, so that got cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fair enough. Yeah, and he's been given the safe word of granola. Granola.
Speaker 3: He has to say it twice.
Speaker 2: Are we going to go conversation? Yeah, it's so reminded of the hairs, Like, yes, I thought.
Speaker 3: That, Yeah, how we're going to slip that into conversation?
Speaker 2: Oh we should have done that. We should have planned to try and get it in genuine. You don't know how he would have yes, well yeah.
Speaker 1: Well no, yeah. The bit a bit later on when he wakes up and he's suddenly like that reminds me of something that line delivery And I can't think what it is.
Speaker 2: I think I know what you mean, I don't mean the way.
Speaker 1: He pronounces it, and like this he's so like out of it. Yeah, I can't think what it.
Speaker 2: Is no me neither, but I know exactly what you mean. It will come to me at some point in the middle of the night.
Speaker 1: If it does, please let me know, will Yeah, yeah, because it's been bugging me.
Speaker 2: Write in listeners. If you know misery, we'll put you into TikTok.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So he's got the ear piece with Steve telling him what to do. Tell him it's for your own protection. It's for your own protection. Do you need me to change all the possessive pronouns.
Speaker 2: Again? Brilliant?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very funny. And again it kind of shows like Dominic's not the smartest cookie in the jar, Like, no, he's good at what he's obviously good at making money and all that shit.
Speaker 2: But you know, yeah, I've worked in big private businesses as it's all. They're all like.
Speaker 1: That exactly, like idiots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they met the company a lot of money, so who cares?
Speaker 1: Yes, And he fucking tries to haggle over his wife and.
Speaker 2: Not by even a little bit, like he's wanting off what five hundred thousand or.
Speaker 3: Something because of the Yeah.
Speaker 1: She's damaged now, oh my god. And when he eventually, you know, does the transfer and he's like worth every penny. I don't regret it at all. Like he sounds very much like he does.
Speaker 2: Yep, just a smidge. Yeah, Yeah, I don't know why they I can know why they're doing it, but why the police would think they would want him to do the transfer in person?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very weird, isn't it.
Speaker 2: I could understand if it was in cash, yes, but yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, what benefit do they have of him doing it in person?
Speaker 2: But they've run along with it because he'll find out where they are and all this sort of stuff. And they've got a car waiting that's part of the rules. And we find out at this point that it's all another there's another twist.
Speaker 1: Yes, when we thought that Shane didn't believe her, it turns out she did manage to convince him, yes, to get in cahoots with.
Speaker 2: Her, and we've plotted an entire new plan in the space of a few minutes. Yes, so they knock out Dominic's day is closed and Lara has a incredibly well choreographed conversation with herself, Yes, which must have been very interesting to film.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it can't quite work out if that's her voice when she does the voice changer or if it's in post.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, but I think that's that's why the cottage scenes are probably filmed first, because that will be the scene that they had to do the retakes of the most to get that working right.
Speaker 1: Oh, definitely, definitely. So, yes, Shane puts on Dominic's clothes. He's too tall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I looked it up. They're about a foot different. They thereabout. Yeah, it's not just a little bit out, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: And it turns out that the a lobes came from Clifford. Yes, they cut his off because they were going spare why not? So yeah, they escape, the police come in fun Dominic, wake him up. Granola, Granola. That's so bugging me.
Speaker 2: It really bugging me as well. I don't even know if it's from this or whether it's from some of the reasons exactly.
Speaker 3: It could be anything. I don't even know if they're sure.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it probably is, but it might not be. That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I feel like it was a while ago though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, such specific thing.
Speaker 2: I'm just reading through episode titles thinking it will come back to me. It will. So it's a great way to end the episode though, or nearly end the episode.
Speaker 1: So Shane and Laura are in the car and she says, told you I had a plan. Do you want to know where we're flying to? And he's like, I'm all ears. I'm like, that's quite a good joke for something thick as But the thing is he doesn't have a passport, does he No?
Speaker 2: And they're on a plane to get away from it, So you're going to ditch him? Do we reconnext?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't be surprised. I think she's used, she's played him to get out of having her ears calf, but I don't think she's got any intention of escaping with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this whole was just so she didn't have to lose her ear lobes. Yeah, which admittedly I want to lose mine either, but it is a very convoluted plan. Yeah. But if you're the only intelligent person in the room, do what you need to. I suppose, m M, if you can convince them of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she is clearly the cleverest person in this story.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, Steve's thieves characters, all right, but he doesn't have much choice much. He's working with some pretty ship yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think she's she's not obviously not very nice, although she is in a difficult situation her husband, although that's no excuse to stage a kidnap.
Speaker 2: But yeah, although you say he won't divorce her, like she can divorce him, surely like it. I don't really know.
Speaker 3: Where now, I know.
Speaker 1: I think it's complicated, isn't it, because you have to have certain reasons and certain evidence and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Although I think the rules changed recently, didn't they. I think you can now just I don't think there has to be someone at fault anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, And I mean that makes sense, doesn't it, Because at the end of the day, if one person's not wanting to be in it anymore, then neither can be exactly. Yeah. Yeah, it's a cheery note. So yeah, So off they go into the sunset, and we are left to ponder whether they're actually going to go off together or if she's going to ditch in.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I suspect the latter, probably.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, he did kill a boyfriend and was going to chop hers off and fully intended to kill her later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he's just like, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Just have a gun though, Well yeah, we shall say.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't imagine they're sticking around with him.
Speaker 2: Like you said, especially since he doesn't a passport. Yeah, and she'll want to get out of the country because her doing this has very much implicated her, Like beforehand, if everything had gone wrong, like she ultimately could just play the victim. Yeah, but in this she's very much.
Speaker 1: Not like she's gone beyond that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's now very much liable.
Speaker 1: She mentioned to him about there's a car waiting new identities, as in, like, does that mean that they've got like new passports with like fake names ready, But that would obviously that wouldn't have a picture of Shane in it, so he could, but.
Speaker 2: He probably wouldn't realize that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing because it helps having him be a bit dippy. But yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: It's a fun one. I really enjoy it.
Speaker 1: It's it's yeah, it's I think you probably enjoy it more than me.
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I said, it grew on.
Speaker 1: Me the more I watched it. But it's it's not one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Fair, but it's like we've not had one for quite a while. I'm just thinking when the last hurry up and wait was a bit silly. I suppose Wuthering Heist was the last one that was actually a proper comedy.
Speaker 1: Like a broad comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like a fast type thing like this in a way is kind of a face.
Speaker 1: That's true. It's been a while since we've had an out right yeah, funny one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I like it for that. Yeah, we're onto rating, I think so.
Speaker 2: Um, I think a six. I do enjoy it?
Speaker 1: Okay, cool?
Speaker 2: How about you now?
Speaker 1: On my provisional, i'd written four or five, and I'm just thinking looking at other ones that I've given. Yeah, I don't think I enjoy it more than hurry up and wait or how do you plead? Yeah, so it can't be any higher than a four? In fact, do I go three? Or is that really m.
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: I think a four?
Speaker 1: I think you are.
Speaker 2: It's all on vibes and feelings and all that nonsense, exactly, Yes, how we feel right now?
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm sorry if you're a tumbler user and this upsets you, but get over it. You're going to ask me all favorite question.
Speaker 2: Did you spot the hair?
Speaker 1: Nope?
Speaker 2: Ah, it's quite an easy one. Really, there's not much decoration I found in this one. I thought it would probably be in the in the nice house at the start it, but no, it's it's by the front door of the awful house. So there's like a little there's the door, and then on the right of the door there's a little window. Yeah, and it's just sat in the window.
Speaker 3: Okay, cool.
Speaker 2: Let us know if you spotted our hair, Yeah, somewhere there was. We are running out of them.
Speaker 1: So this week I'd like to read out a message that literally just came in before we started recording on TikTok from a user called Cryo Chamber. Interesting thing who says, Hi, I've started listening to your podcast a couple of weeks ago and I'm addicted. I've just gotten onto the episode about the steakout and it reminded me about how annoyed I was when the twist got spoiled when I was originally watching show.
Speaker 3: Is so gutting, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I love hearing you guys thoughts about the episodes, especially when we have different opinions. It's given me a completely new love for the show. So thank you so much for making the pod. Loving it so much so far, and I can't wait to keep listening.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks Cryer Chamber.
Speaker 1: Indeed, thank you.
Speaker 2: I've got it for you about the steakhouse.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, I wonder how it got spoiled. I hope it wasn't through watching our TikTok about it, because I did put a spoiler warning at the staff.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: AnyWho, We'll be back next week for a random act of kindness.
Speaker 2: Thely finished this series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but for now, I think it's time to close the door on number nine.
Speaker 2: Never really leave, do you actually? If you've not got a passport, that was good.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch and find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts