Speaker 1: All right, let's get it drives out Monday afternoon, nine minutes past the hour of two o'clock. It's hot, but it's cloudy, keeping the temperatures down a little bit. It's gonna be kind of a topsy turvy weather week to some really hot days and a couple of random cold days later on. It's about eighty four degrees eighty five degrees and cloudy here in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah.
Speaker 2: Happy Monday to you, and.
Speaker 1: As it is every single day, it's going to have you along for the ride.
Speaker 2: Spence check. It's behind the mic.
Speaker 1: That is Porter Larsen behind the glass today producing the program. It is a game day on the radio station, as we will have Game five of the NBA Finals for you tonight between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Indiana Pacers. That series is deadlocked to two games apiece. Since you and I last spoke, Oklahoma City was able to get it done in Indiana, closing out in historic form in a couple of different ways on Friday night, taking care of Indiana one eleven to one oh four. We talked about the adjustments and our Dagnaut might make prior to that game and he made a lot of them, and so now the onus is back on Rick Carlisle and the Indiana Pacers to make their adjustments to try to win a game in a building that's almost impossible. Oklahoma City is really good at home. I think they only have one loss in the postseason at home. No, they have two actually because Indiana won game one. So we'll see what happens tonight as this series is deadlocked at two games a piece. Six thirty Mountain Time will be the tip time and will Saga night at six o'clock and send you over to ESPN's coverage of the NBA Finals.
Speaker 2: TV coverage, of course, is on ABC.
Speaker 1: Stanley Cup Finals continues to be wildly entertaining and feels like it might be coming to an end tomorrow night in Florida, but you never know, and certainly love a game seven. We'll love the game seven for both of these final series before we enter into the summer window and kind of tread water until football rolls along. Oiler's Panthers. Tomorrow is going to be six Mountain toime on Turner Sports. That's your TV covers and we're your radio home for these Stanley Cup Finals. A massive trade in the NBA that broke yesterday that caught a lot of people off guard, a lot of people off guard. We'll talk about what the Grizzlies elected to do and good news for the Orlando Magic. In my estimation, we'll get into that deal and then we'll kind of bring it around through the prism of the context of what it means for the Utah Jazz and what the Jazz will attempt to do this offseason. Brian Windhorst himself said that he has been told the Jazz are actively actually trying to add to this roster. I don't know how they'll do that. I don't know what it's going to look like. But if Desmond Baine is able to grab that sort of return, what could lowry market and bring it to Utah Jazz elect to go in that direction.
Speaker 2: NBA Draft is right around the corner.
Speaker 1: It is let's see, ten days away from right now, I believe, yeah, ten days away. It is June the twenty sixth will be the first then June the twenty No. No, June the twenty fifth is actually the first round June and twenty six is the second round, and then June the twenty seventh is the first round the NHL Draft, where the Utah Mammoth find themselves with the number four pick. Overall, Jazz as of now have five and twenty one couple second rounders to boots. So we'll get to some NBA draft stuff on the program today. Big twelve released its basketball schedule last week.
Speaker 2: We touched on it.
Speaker 1: We'll go a little bit deeper, and we'll go a little bit deeper on Alex Jensen's roster now that it's basically finalized. We'll do some Utah basketball and of course some offseason college football at the same time, a lot of storylines going on real Salt Lake actually won a match over the weekend. They had not won a match since April twenty sixth. They were able to beat DC United too. Noil, Johnny Russell, Do we need to start calling Johnny Russell?
Speaker 2: Johnny Goles?
Speaker 1: One goal for Johnny, one goal for Gozo and RSL get a win and they break that seven match on beaten streak. Diego Luna was tremendous for the US men's national team and their first fora into Gold Cup play this year, as they beat Trinidad and Tobago five to Nilo Diego technically had two assists, but one of his assists really should have been his goal. He had a little step over and left the defender in their dust, and then he had a really good strike he just ricocheted off of a teammate went to the back of the net.
Speaker 2: So the teammate gets the goal, Diego gets the assist.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, he was the best player in my opinion on the pitch for either side. So a little soccer on the program today as well. Massive trade in the world of Major League Baseball. That's catching a lot of people off guard.
Speaker 3: We'll get to that.
Speaker 1: So a lot to do on the show today. Good guest lists on this Monday afternoon. Hope you had a great weekend off to a great start to that work week.
Speaker 2: Happy Monday to you.
Speaker 1: Our first guest will be Kurt Schmidt, chief roster constructor for Real Salt Lake. After the weekend behind US where RSL was able to get three points, we are abouts let's see three and a half, four weeks away from the I'm transfer window opening in the world of Major League Soccer. What does Kurt have up his sleeve. It's clear that this team needs reinforcements badly. Miller family has taken over as the primary ownership group. What sort of budget does he have at his disposal?
Speaker 2: So we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: On the program today with Kurt Schmidt, will break down Game four of the NBA Finals and then preview Game five of the NBA Finals and talk about a massive trade in pro basketball. Tom Haberstrow Richard Smith stops by for his weekly hit one hour in studio. We'll do some jazz, we'll do some offseason NBA, we'll do some NBA finals and his thoughts on Desmond Bay going to Orlando.
Speaker 2: And then the Voice himself.
Speaker 1: Always good to catch up with my former radio partner, the Voice of the University of Utah, Bill Riley, the Voice of the Utes, rolls by during the four o'clock hour, So Kurt Schmidt, Tom habershow Richard Smith, Bill Riley, Me Spence Check. Its all of you, the great listeners, and that guy Porter Larson. On a Monday afternoon. Ye when we said good night on Friday, we wondered what we'd be breaking down on Monday, as we often do a lot of radio shows. Do you like, let's predict Monday's headlines today on a Friday being Bill used to do that.
Speaker 2: We got to too, and we're going back to Oka.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: Do you still believe in you're fighting Indiana Pacers?
Speaker 4: And I think we also said on Friday, the winner of that game likely wins the series, you know, And I felt that kind of vibe shift in the in the series. But Man, once you get down Spence, when you handle your business at home, you you know you're still a game on the road. When when you do that in the NBA Finals, you find yourself too too. Man, best of three, who knows what could happen? And yes, the Indiana Pacers absolutely have a shot at winning an NBA title. They've shown that, you know, they can beat Okay See in a few different ways. So am I confident in them doing so? No, I think the odds probably lie with the MVP and Okay See. But I think I think this is going I think it's gonna be a fun one to end it.
Speaker 2: I hope you're right.
Speaker 1: I would love to see a game seven, So we'll get to it. It is a busy, busy Monday show and it's great to have you guys along for the ride. Our first guest today on a Monday afternoon, will be Kurt Schmidt. We'll do a little RSL. We'll get his thoughts on the US men's national team as well, and then we'll go from there. But before Kurt rolls by on a Monday afternoon courtesy if our good friends and your good friends do with Prize Picks, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Prize Picks is the best place to turn your sports knowledge into cash. With millions of members, Prize Picks is made daily fantasy sports accessible as all all you do is pick more or less on at least two players for a shout going up to two thousand times your cash. You can run your game all season long on Prize Picks. One series left in the playoffs and the championship is officially on the line. That means time is running out for you to put your final takes to the test on Prize Picks. The best place to cash in on your favorite sports.
Speaker 2: So here's what you do.
Speaker 1: You download that Prize Picks app today, use the promo code at ESPN seven hundred, and when you play your first five dollars lineup, they'll hook you up with fifty bucks. Do not even have to win that lineup to get the fifty It's on the house. So download the Prize Picks up today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred, and they're gonna give you fifty dollars when you play that first five dollars line up. Prize Picks run your game all season long, all right tonight. I'm gonna go under on Tyrese Halliburton seventeen point five points. I'm actually gonna go under on Alex Caruso ten point five points. They have TJ McConnell's line at four point five points, and I cannot stand TJ McConnell, but I'll take more than six point five points. They've got the line at shit for Shay thirty four point five points. That's a big line, but I'm going over. I think Shay goes big tonight, and I think Oklahoma City gets to win at home where they are nine points five point favorite.
Speaker 2: All right, so a couple things here.
Speaker 1: We'll do some hoops right off the bat, and we'll actually we'll get to game five tonight. Tom haberstro is going to join us coming up in the three o'clock hour, so we'll give you a big preview of Game five tonight.
Speaker 2: We're gonna look back on Game four.
Speaker 1: But far more interesting in my estimation at least on this Monday, is the Memphis Grizzlies have traded Desmond Bane to the Orlando Magic in a blockbuster deal. So, Desmond Bane five years in Memphis, the Jazz had a chance to draft him and they did not do that, and he would have fit in very nicely with that team with Donovan and Gobert and obviously Quinn as the coach. So instead they went Adoka Abuza, the big kid from Kansas. Right, they drafted the big kid from Kansas that year when they had the chance to draft us as a bouquet.
Speaker 2: That's right, Audoko has a bouquet, the big kid from Kansas.
Speaker 1: Desmond Bane in five years in Memphis really established himself as one of the best three and D players in pro basketball. He is an absolute beast. He is a bold Defensively, he's a not down three point shooter. The Orlando side of this, the net net for the Orlando Magic is, in my opinion, they instantly have catapulted themselves into the conversation next year as the best team on paper in the Eastern Conference. Now, when you look at who they have and then when you juxtapose it to the rest of the conference, Cleveland probably and these this is bad news if you're a Jazz fan. The Jazz own all of these picks from the Calves, but the Calves continue to make pretty savvy moves to make sure they're a really good regular season team.
Speaker 3: If you're a.
Speaker 1: Jazz fan, it doesn't matter that the Calves potentially could fall on their face in the postseason because you know Donovan. But in the regular season, if they keep scratching sixty wins, the draft capital you've received in returned for Mitchell is never going to be good. So the Calves on paper, they're really good next year. I'm gonna use the term gap year, like if you were one of those college students where you know, after your junior year you were burnt out, so you decided to take a gap year and maybe work and then come back and get your degree. That's what I feel like the Celtics are going to look like next year with no Jason Tatum. Every single trade rumor that people publish in the world of professional basketball seems to dedicate Boston is willing to move on from maybe even Jalen Brown. If not true, Holliday and Derek White, Christaps porzingis they would move tomorrow if they could, so I don't view the Celtics as a serious contender next year. The Knicks don't have a coach, as we've talked about, They've tried to interview everyone else's coaches and everyone just gives them the double bird, like, please stop calling us. But the Knicks on paper gonna be good. The Pacers have to get their flowers for this NBA Finals run. But outside of that, Orlando, to me, has now catapulted themselves into this level with Polo ban Caro, Franz Wagner, now Desmond Baine and some other good pieces to have something to say about what the East is going to look like next year and then beyond. Because Desmond Bain has only been in the league five years now, what to me is more interesting about this deal is what it says about the mentality of the Memphis Grizzlies and what it might say about the mentality of the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: Right, So here's how this works.
Speaker 1: When a team is a juggernaut, and when a team achieves historic success the way Oklahoma City has, every roster constructor in pro basketball will look at that model, look at that blueprint and say, how do we get some of that. It's not like any other business model where if something is successful you want to copy, you know, essentially the way they go about their business and their blueprint and they're hiring practices and their best laid plans and their personnel like whatever it is, it's making it work.
Speaker 2: How do we get some of that?
Speaker 1: And I think this is what we're seeing as a result of what the Oklahoma City thunder have built, who they are and who they're going to be.
Speaker 2: Throughout the course.
Speaker 1: So probably the next I'll say three to four years, now we live in a different MBA where the days of the long dynasties have probably been put behind us for now as a result of the punitive nature of the economic infrastructure of a team that's paying a lot of money, even if it's really good for players that lead them to great things momentarily, but the longevity of dynasties are probably behind us unless you get an owner that is so rich he does not give a rip about literally losing hundreds of millions of dollars. And what we're about to see in Boston is probably the first real example of the punitive nature of the economic infrastructure of the NBA now, because this new ownership group has to write a check for five hundred million dollars just to have the team, just to have this roster. That's not even what they're paying their players. That is their luxury tax penalty for being a second apron team over the course of multiple years. That's why they have to make these decisions, and Oklahoma City at some point will have to make the same decisions. But the point is it's not coming anytime soon. That's why I'm going to use three to four years. Oklahoma City this year won sixty eight basketball games. Their net was plus thirteen. That is historic. They are a top five team on offense, they are a top five team on defense. They're about to win the NBA Championship in my opinion, and the bulk of their roster is between the ages of twenty one and twenty seven. Okay, So the only two exceptions there, and these are good players that they rely upon.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Kendrick Williams is thirty and Alex Crusoe is thirty one, okay, But besides that, Lou Dort twenty six, Shay of course twenty six, Hartenstein is twenty seven, Chats twenty three, Isaiah Joe's twenty five, Cason Wallace is twenty one, Aaron Wiggins is twenty six, Jalen Williams is twenty four. And yes, at some point if they win, other players are going to say, Okay, it's time for me to get paid. But that the point is that's not coming anytime soon, and it will come at some point. But I have to wonder if the Memphis Grizzlies simply just did their calculations on who Oklahoma City is and then juxtaposed ok c's roster to their own and said, look, it's just not close. We're not close to them, and so we do not want to pay Jaron Jackson Junior, who's a really good player, but he's going to be coming up on a contract extension. They've already paid jaw but in Jaw you have an intoxicating talent and an absolute moron, and that's a tough thing to balance. And also, let me say this, I've heard a couple of people's surmise that they think this means Memphis is going to move off Jaw and they're going to move off Jaron Jackson Junior. I disagree with that. I don't think that's gonna happen. John Morana this point is under contract through twenty twenty eight and his final year is forty four point eight million dollars. Desmond Bane was actually the player who is under contract the longest. His contract runs through twenty twenty nine at forty four point eight. Jaron Jackson Junior is about to enter a contract year. He is eligible for an extension, and I wouldn't be surprised if they extend him. Jaron Jackson Junior next year is going to make twenty three point four mil. They got Brandon Clark, John conchar Zachi Edy who they drafted last year, and then grip of young players Scottie Pippen Junior and others that people don't really know a ton about. But I don't think they're gonna move off of job. I don't think they're gonna move off of Jaron Jackson Junior. I think they're just gonna kind of ride this thing out and then see what happens with Oklahoma City as this roster moves forward. So when you look at the books at Okasee and the reason I'm bringing this up and we are going to land the plane, I know we're circling in the airport a little bit, but it just leads me to wonder what other teams in the West are thinking about, and namely how the Jazz kind of view this through their prism. So we'll do this real quick before you catch a break. SGA Shay is under contract through twenty twenty seven. Now as a result of winning MVP. The new contract he's gonna get is gonna be wild. It's gonna be probably the richest contract in NBA history. They also have Heart and Stein under contract through twenty twenty seven, Dort under contract through twenty twenty seven, Isaiah Joe through twenty eight, Wiggins is signed through twenty nine, Chad is on as rookie deal that expires in twenty seven. Crusoe signed actually through twenty nine as well. Kendrick Williams through twenty seven. Casin's on his rookie deal, that's twenty eight, and I could keep going. Essentially, this group will be together for at least two more years, playing at a very high level.
Speaker 2: And my guess is they're of course.
Speaker 1: Going to extend Shay, They're going to continue to extend some of these young players, and then Jalen will come off of his rookie contract in twenty eight and then they're going to have a decision to make. So this is a three year situation where, barring something wild like a really bad injury to Shay knock on Wood, Oklahoma City has told the rest of the league, we built this up brick by brick, and we're here and we're not going anywhere for at least three years, and probably not after that as well, because Sam Presty has been so brilliant about his roster construction.
Speaker 2: But the secret, sauce is it's not just finding these great players.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: What Oklahoma City is also positioned to do because they have thirteen future first round picks, both their own and picks that are owed to them. As they do have to make tough economic decisions, they'll maintain a core of two to three guys, probably Shae, Jalen, and and then incrementally surround them with smart draft picks and players on rookie scales. And the reason you have to knock on these, you know, you have to knock these draft picks out of the park, is that essentially it's cheap labor, is what it is. It's really good young players that you don't have to pay very much. Guess how much Jalen Williams is making this year four point seven million dollars for a number two option on a championship team. That is smart roster construction. And Jalen will get his, but not for at least two more years. So what Memphis did to me actually put my radars up a little bit more than I think most people have been talking about. This is an indication, in my opinion, that they've looked at Okasee and said, we're not close, so we might as well turn one of these players into an asset because we don't want to pay this roster an exorbit amount of money when we don't feel like we're in the mix to win a championship. We'll see what this means for the Utah Jazz and we'll get back to this coming up with Tom Haberstrow.
Speaker 2: Smithy will be good on this as well. All Right, it's game Day on the station.
Speaker 1: Game five of the NBA Finals tonight Paycom Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, where the Oklahoma City Thunder will host the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 2: Series of deadlock to two games apiece.
Speaker 1: We're gonna say good night at six o'clock and then we're gonna send you coverage of that game, and we'll have the Stanley Cup Finals resuming tomorrow. We've got Tom Haberstrow for some NBA Smidi Liven Studio Voice of the Youth's Bill Riley. But we'll start things off in a Monday afternoon talking a little soccer as RSL gets a much needed win over the weekend to nil over DC United and Kurt Schmidt, chief roster constructor.
Speaker 2: On the program on a Monday. Kurt, Happy Monday, sir, How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm good?
Speaker 3: How are you good? Bud?
Speaker 2: Thanks for the time.
Speaker 1: So, I don't know what adjective you would like to use. Relieved, excited, I don't know. You tell me, uh what, what sort of emotion or whatever did that win on Saturday give you guys, after going seven matches without a dub, how about hungry?
Speaker 6: There we go. It's one of those where it's like, hey, that was necessary and now we got to focus on the next one for sure.
Speaker 1: And one of the one of the players you acquired during the primary transfer window, Johnny Russell opened his bank account soccer terms kid, no big deal. So how pleased were you in his I believe that was his first start. To see Johnny find the.
Speaker 2: Back of the net.
Speaker 6: No, it's fantastic. And obviously when when players score goals, you know, it gives them confidence and helps them repeat that performance and even improve. So you know, for Johnny to get that goal in his first start is huge for the team because obviously it helps us win the game, but it's huge for him as well.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the process, Kurt of bringing him along. So for our listeners, Johnny is a long time not just MLS VET, but he's played uh all over the world and the goal he scored on Saturday was his sixty first goal in Major League Soccer, so he's had a long career.
Speaker 2: He was a sporting case.
Speaker 1: A lot of people thought he was going to retire, did not have a preseason so you sign him, and I would imagine it took a minute for him to get in informed and fit. So tell us about this process and what can what sort of like can you shed on it?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, he's still still rolling into it. I mean he was he's a discipline professional, and he was certainly keeps himself ready and fit and working out while he was looking for his next club. But that's you know, that's different than obviously playing at a high level every day training day and day out and having that match fitness and that mass sharpness. So he's definitely starting to get his legs under him in that in that respect, I mean the match fitness still still isn't isn't quite there. Obviously, he came out at the half and you know, building him up is going to help us a lot. But he his sharpness is getting back to where it needs to be and you know saw that with the quality when it's finished.
Speaker 1: Tell me about because it was interesting to listen to Johnny post game where he talked about how grateful he was for this opportunity and even kind of pontificated on the possibility of walking away. Wasn't sure if he was going to get another team, said, he's here to score goals, goals and also help some of these younger players. So, throughout the course of your conversations with Johnny during the primary transfer window, what sort of kind of details did you guys share back and forth and what essentially was your ask of him before bringing him into the club.
Speaker 6: That's a great question. Yeah, I mean the conversations with him were about, yeah, definitely extending his career, but also what he could bring to our group. And we have a very very young team, you know, before Johnny came in, Rafa was the only player we had over thirty essentially on the roster. So one of the things that we talked to him about was just coming in and being a bit of a leader and a mentor and an experienced guy within the group, you know, just to help the group through some things, some things that he'd seen before and some of the younger guys, despite their talents or their quality in that moment, just haven't seen. So I think that that's something that manifested right away from day one, is how he integrated with the group and his ability to you know, just to talk to players on the field, you know. Pablo says this all the time, but to have you know, your teammate kind of make a point to you. It's sometimes a little bit different than the coach, right, especially when the veteran player puts his arm around you and is like, hey, next time, you know, do it like this, not like that, or next time playing me here and not there. You know, it brings a little more true for those guys, and so that little bit of experience in the group has been very helpful. And then obviously you know, just about setting expectations for him and his performance. And he's a high level player. He wants to, you know, play all the time. He wants to score goals every game, he wants to do all those things. He's very hungry, and it's just about setting his dissertations of how you've been out for a bit, like let's let's get you fit, let's get you into it, and when you're ready, you know, you'll go.
Speaker 1: You know, I had a chance when I was with the club on the road in San Diego. I had a chance to meet him and talk to him, and his intensity really just shines through. And that's always interesting, and it is player by player. I can remember the first time I met will Johnson, I thought he was going to shank me with a knife. I'm like, chill out, dude, it's okay. And Johnny kind of has that same intent just as a person when you just kind of meet him and talk to him. I wonder what sort of expectation you guys have moving forward now that he is fit and he has started and he has scored a goal. I mean, it's safe to say that he's a piece, But do you think we're going to see him in starting elevens and what sort of expectations do you have for him now that we've seen what he can do when he's fit and Pablo gives him the start.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I mean, I don't want to be in the business right now of saying this guy will play every game that day. You know it's going to be sub or any of that stuff, because the reality is where we're at, you know, and we're not you know, we're not clueless. We know where we're at in the season, and there there's no consideration other than form and performance on the day. And you know, for Pablo, he's just got to make those decisions.
Speaker 1: On the day.
Speaker 6: If it's Johnny, it's Johnny, if it's done, if it's Gozo, if it's Aiden Hether, Konnie or whoever it could be in that white midfield spot. You know, it's got to be who's going to put in the best performance on the day. So when that's Johnny, you know, he obviously brings something different than some of the other guys, you know, being left footed, having a little more experience in quality in the box. You know, he's a little more of a goal scorer than kind of the rest of the options out there. So he had a little bit different, which you know is a fantastic change your pace, whether it's from the start or it's off the bench later in the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I want to pan back here and talk about the club from kind of a thirty thousand foot view as we're sitting here, you know, more or less past midway. And you know, it seems like every time I have Pablo On and it's been more or less weekly and less. The other are travel issues. He often talks about how there have been moments in every game that he's very pleased with, and ultimately this can be a really really cruel sport where you get caught with a counter or there's a deflection and somebody scores a dumb goal, or you get a red card or a PK or whatever. So eighteen games played, five ten and three eighteen points. As you said, you guys know where you're out in the standings. Pablo kind of laid the math on us last week of what you need to do to make the postseason in. But what I wanted to get from you is, as you're watching your club, what do you feel like you can say that you're very good at and what you feel like you can say that you very much need to improve on with this club. I'm not talking about additions, I'm talking about what you see with the group.
Speaker 6: You have another good question, Svince. I think I think we've been pretty good in our in our ball progression, our build up most games this year, with maybe a few exceptions, and so some of that, that piece of our identity that that we established last year has carried through. And you know, I think Rafa has been a huge help. You know, obviously he's a goalkeeper, so defense first, but he's added a lot of calmness and composure to our buildout process. So I think we've seen good, good build out and ball progression from back to middle and and I think from middle to to front, middle to final third. I think it's been a little more hit or missed. I think it's been good, but I think we need to be a little more con stint where. I think last year we needed fewer chances of score goals. To be quite honest, this year we need we need some more. We need you know, we're volume finishers. You know, like again you saw in this game this weekend, Goes was a young guy. He's working, he's getting chances and you know he needs two or three good chances and he got his goal. But we need to keep giving them those chances to make sure he gets the goals. And you know, Will he's the same, Are He's going to be the same. You know, all those guys up top that we put in there, they need chances to score. So I think we've been creating those chances. We've been getting the ball in the good spots. Our movement in the box sometimes is an ideal. Our finishing obviously needs to improve with this group, but yeah, I think those those things are still there for us to improve upon. But I think we've put together some really good games. You know, back to middle and then you know, middle to to final third is where you know, I think he just needs to improve a bit, and I think we've focused on that in the last few weeks. And there's been some games. You know, when we started the Vancouver game, I thought it was you know, it was obviously really good early in the game, and then the defense wasn't able to sustain it and against a really good team that was playing with a lot of confidence. So yeah, but I think those aspects on the ball are where we're looking right now.
Speaker 1: Eight games played, six starts, two subs, one goal for Willy so far. Williagatta your other addition during the primary transfer window, I'm gonna ask you the same thing about Willie that I asked you about your club, because you reference movement off the ball in the box and you can see I mean, obviously he is a striker that has played significant time in MLS and he has goals in him that we've seen and it's probably more experience as if you juxtapose him to Ari, but his movement stands out to me. But we have not seen a ton of goals so far. So what have you liked from Willy in his eight games played and what are you hoping to see moving forward?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think Willy is sometimes it's hard to catch, but he is an incredibly strong player, and so his hole to play can be a strength of his I don't I don't think it. You know, it's not always there right, which which is something consistency can Even though he's a little more experienced than Ari, he's still relatively on the younger side, so but he's someone who can hold the ball up for us, and when he plays simple and gets back on the highest line, that can be very effective. I think this last week he got away from that a little bit and it was a little too many touches getting caught in possession in those moments. But when he does play one in two touch, he can hold the defender off and he can keep possession for us and get back on the highest flying which just gives us more time to get our team forward and get our numbers into the final third and hopefully into the box when the chance does come. And I think he's also someone that you know he gets his chances, and I think there are specific moments when you know, again, his movement, any any player's movement can improve in the box. But he finds a way, whether it's instinct or you know, whatever it might be, he finds a way to get chances in front of goal each game. But again he's you know, I think like Gozo. Like I mentioned with Gozo, I think he's going to be a volume finisher, and you know, he's not a guy that can stand around for the whole game and we'll give him a chance and we'll.
Speaker 2: Score a goal.
Speaker 6: I think he's got to be engaged in the entire game. We got to keep feeding him chances, getting them the ball in the final third, and he'll get his goals.
Speaker 1: So you reference Gozo and maybe I buried the lead, but I wanted to start with Johnny because it was his first goal. But you do have a second leading score now officially with Gozo Italian his second. And I don't know, Kurt, maybe it was three weeks ago, a month ago when you hopped on the show, when I said to you, Okay, I feel like you've got something with this young kid. And we'll get to Diego and his experience with a goal cup in a minute. But just for our listener's sake, what sort of insight can you shed about his growth and the process, what you're seeing so far that you like, and what he needs to do to keep it going.
Speaker 6: So gozo like you know, like I think any successful young player, the real differentiator is is an his head and his mentality, his work rate, his work ethic, his his ability to you know, refocus is maybe a word that I would use where you know, it's like, hey, something happens to distract him or take him out of his game, and he's he's able to refocus back in on the game and and get get back to it is really really good. And his adaptability from level to level has been really really good. And so what's gotten him these opportunities is that aspect his mentality, continuing to come back, continuing to try the next one. You know, he's like I said, he you know, he had a couple of chances early, didn't score them, made it, you know, had another chance, put it away, right, And so his ability to kind of you know, set those those prior instances aside and just take the next one as it is and and do his best with that opportunity is is really you know, elite from that standpoint, and his ability to do that is what's gonna do him, serve him the most well as he goes and progress. This sucre because as long as he has those things in his head, you know, he's going to do the extra work. The coaches will work with him, He's going to get the reps and the experience, and he sees these situations more and he's going to learn from those situations and you know all of that will will come along with it and his ability to just continue to work and go and try the next one and the next one and the next one is with you know, relentless, I guess is a word he could use. Is what's going to keep him developing and becoming a better and better player for us.
Speaker 1: Help me understand, because he's not I don't think he's a nine, right, but he can clearly finish with a couple of goals when it's fully baked, when Gozo is completely developed. What sort of position slash role do you think will allow him to magnify his talents the best?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's played both, you know, I obviously when he was you know, Win's with the youth fifteens, which is kind of crazy to say or think about, but was with you fifteens he was all right when you replayed up top as well, and he's sort of served his time in both roles as he's moved his way through the pipeline. So he's he certainly done both for us, and he can do it. I mean, he's playing probably more of like a nine and a half or second striker role right now, where you know he's looking to stretch the defense and get in behind from a little bit of a deeper starting position. But if you look at us when we build right now, it's almost, you know, a two strikers set up with an attacking Mitchfielder coming underneath. You know that was maybe Luna before he left, and you know the other night it was Diogo coming in underneath and getting on the ball. So I think he's he makes give us a bit of a different look than we had last year or even earlier this year, where we in possession and we were sort of two attacking Mitchelly gined one striker. Now it's almost one one attacking Mitchiellder behind two strikers when we're trying to attack.
Speaker 1: So your reference Diego, he's credited with the assist on Johnny's goal that was kind of an individual effort from Johnny, but nonetheless he gets the credit. And as I talked to you about prior to diego leaving, it felt like this could be an opportunity for Diogo maybe to shut some people up and fill up or live up to expectations. We all know he's the only designated player on the roster. Technically, you guys were pretty dominant on Saturday, and he was intertwined in most of the you know, attacking plays that led to anything substantial. Give me an update on how he's doing and his progress and what you're hoping to see from him as diegoes with the US men's national team.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, look, I think he's putting his head down and he's working hard, and he knows there's there's responsibility that he needs to take with with Diego out and I think he did a good job of taking that on Saturday. And you know, the ball he played to Johnny for his goal was was a phenomenal through ball. But even more than that, it's his ability to maintain possession under pressure in the middle of the field and then and then spin out with some good technique and find that ball. And I think he finds those balls, maybe more than we realize, just because we have had some trouble finishing them, you know, But when you look at some of the more anthmetrics, you know, I think he shows that he had a pretty good game on the day. So you know, I think if he comes at it with that mentality and brings that level of work and quality to the game, because he has quality, I think he's going to be real, real interesting as we get in these next couple of games.
Speaker 1: We've talked about the depth you have centrally with the midfield, and of course, you know, I have a two part question here because a Mecca is unavailable for now, so I'm wondering what the update is for Mecca and then how nice is it? And certainly Nelson is part of this equation too, but I don't know. Man Like for me, a couple of years ago, before Ruiz hurt both knees, he was one of the better players on the entire team on a number of different levels, not just centrally, but he would take corners, he would take free kicks, and it's hard to expect him to look the same after two devastating injuries. So update on a Mecca and then tell me what you're seeing when Pablo Ruiz steps in, and what you like and maybe what you're hoping he can continue to try and find after those devastating injuries.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a little bit different, you know, Pablo and Nelson is a much different look than than the Mecca and Ojeta. You know, I think I'm going I hate to do a phenomenal job of chewing up ground and recovering, recovering balls, recovering second balls, and then keeping the game, taking over and playing the next half. I think, you know, Pablo, his game is a little bit different, right because he can close guys down defensively and recover balls, but that's not really the main part of his game.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: What he really brings to the team is is quality in our build up and our progression, and especially in our ability to open the game and change the point of attack. He does a great job with that. And Nelson is you know, even though he's a younger player, but he's he's a good balance of the two. His physical gifts are are fantastic. He covers so much ground so quickly, He's so athletic. But you know, he also has the ability to hit that diagonal you know, as Pablo does. So those types of balls really open open the game for us and allow us to get behind the defense a little bit quicker maybe than otherwise when we're not able to hit that ball.
Speaker 1: So are we getting close with a mecca or is it a situation where he's going to need some time?
Speaker 6: Look, he he needs time because it's certainly something that you know, I think it's if if we worse than it, the prognosis becomes much worse. So you know, we want to make sure we take take care with it and make sure we get him back when he's ready.
Speaker 1: To get back and for all, Right, before I set you loose, I thought Diego was the best player on the pitch yesterday. You know, he has the assist after a brilliant steel where he just was able to read the play and then probably should have had the goal. But yes, it deflects off his teammates, So technically Diego ends with two assists and a five zero win for the US men's national team over Trinidad and Tobago. Tobago, excuse me after losing five straight matches, of course, a lot of noise because we're one year away from the World Cup.
Speaker 2: So give me your thoughts, he says.
Speaker 1: You watch Diego perform with US men's national team, what you hope he's able to learn and do with them and bring back to you when the Gold Cup is finished.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's I mean he's been playing really well for them. I think every time he's gotten the chance, and credit to him, you know, grabbing those opportunities is massive, and I think he what he's brought to that group is more than his individual quality as a team first mentality, and I think he's you know, he obviously has those moments, you know, reading that back pass, picking it up. You know, I know they gave him an assist for that, but I really think that probably should have been his goal. But you know that that play was fantastic, even the I think it was the first goal.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: His activity and movement, I think is what creates a little bit of space in the defense for the goalscorer Tillman to to finish his chance and to find a little more space when he when he receives the ball. So again, I think he's he's making that team tick a little bit right now, which is for him, and you know, I hope it keeps happening, and I'm sure, but I also hope the coaching staff sees it as well as I do, or certainly seems like the majority of the fans do.
Speaker 1: All Right, my guy, I appreciate the time today. Congrats on the three over the weekend. Let's keep it rolling, Okay, all right, we'll do all right. Kurt Schmidt, chief roster constructor for Alsaw Lake Risol hits the road coming up on the twenty eighth. Geez, another week off, only two matches all month. They're going to be at Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City on the twenty eighth to take on Sporting k C, who was the team that had both Williagatta and Johnny Russell, so that'll be interesting. And then they're back home for two straight games against Saint Louis and Houston before hitting the road at Providence Park to take on Portland. As we talked about with Pablo last week, this is a team badly in need of getting all three points pretty much every time they're at home, hoping to steal some on the road and then keep that ship afloat well. Diego Lune is with the US men's national team RSL DOT com for single game tickets support our local soccer club. All right, smittye Liven Studio coming up in just a bit for an entire hour Voice of the Youths Bill Riley stops by. But big game tonight, Game five NBA Finals, got a blockbuster trade to talk about. Tom Haberstrow Monday afternoon, Tommy, Happy Monday, buddy.
Speaker 2: How are we doing doing?
Speaker 3: Great?
Speaker 7: Spence, how you guys doing?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 1: So tell me what's your read on the mentality of the Memphis Grizzlies as a result of what they just decided to do with Desmond Baine and the Orlando Magic.
Speaker 2: What do you think it means for the Memphis side.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it means they really hope they could switch to the Eastern Conference, because really, that's what this is about. Yeah, it's the Memphis Grizzlies looked at the Western Conference field and said, we can't compete at the highest levels and is that climb in The GM of the Memphis Grizzlies said this a couple of weeks ago, and they got eliminated from the playoffs by the Alklamath City Thunder and he's like, you know what, you can look at this and just say like we're close, but we're definitely not. And when you are looking at the juggernauts of the Western Conference and Oklahoma City and Denver Jokich, you're looking at Lebron and Luca, you're looking at Golden State of Houston potentially adding a big time veteran to help their contention push, Memphis is just so far away right now. And if you're in the Eastern Conference, if Memphis geographically was in the right conference, you could see them holding onto dozen Bane and not only that, adding and trying to win the East. And for the on the Orlando side, that's exactly what they're trying to do, is they're trying to win the East because they saw Indiana do this very thing, which is they made an incredible run and now they're two wins away from winning a championship. And so for Memphis, it really is this kind of clerical error, the fact that they were the team from Vancouver, that they're in the Western Conference despite being in Tennessee, and that has long term effects is that they're constantly fighting uphill in a Western Conference that is way better than the Eastern Conference. And they've got this rookie Jalen Wells that they really believe in. And if you're going to look at five first round picks coming from this Orlando team, one of which could be the Phoenix pick next year. In twenty twenty six, they were looking at the situation saying, this is too good of an offer we cannot refuse. So, in the very Godfather way, this was an offer they could not refuse on a player that hasn't been an All Star. But you know, when you're a small market team, you have to make tough choices. And as much as they want to say that they're right there in the thick of it, I think the first round exit and the uncertain future of John Morant and just how available he can be, I think Memphis decided, look, let's take these picks and take another big swing down the road. But right now, this is quite a hall for a guy who is just a tier below the all star level.
Speaker 1: Lot of people, Tom, I know, you know this surmised. This means Memphis is very much open for business. And maybe they put John the table. Maybe they put Jaron Jackson Junior on the table. I don't know that I read it that way. Jaron Jackson Junior a is really good. He is intert excuse me, entering a contract year, so he's eligible for an extension twenty three point four mil next year. Jobs signed through twenty eight. I don't know what kind of market there is for job. I mean, his talent is intoxicating, nobody denies that. But the off court stuff just makes it hard to commit. But do you read it that way that as a result of moving on from Desmond Bain they might just break this whole thing down and build it back up from the studs.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I think they're going to keep those two and build around them, you know, for a small market team. John Moran represents so much more face of the franchise for better for worse, and Jared Jackson Junior is up to that extension, like you said, And this deal does save them some money to throw more at Jaron Jackson Junior. With the apron and the tax and the hardcap all of this stuff, they had a little bit of wiggle room to extend Jaron Jackson Junior at the full max level, and this Desmond Bain deal does free up a little bit more cast space to do that. Look, this is tough, you know, this is tough. If you're a fan of the Grizzlies, I think Utah fans can really sympathize with this. With Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert. It's like, if you're the margin for error for these teams, these small market teams in the Western Conference is so thin, which is why it's so remarkable to see what Okac has done. And they're kind of like in the second inning, it seems of what seems to be the parts of a dynasty. It really is amazing to see that the Utah Jazz were able to make that run with Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley. But as what we're seeing with the Memphis Grizzlies, even having those two young studs on your team Jared Jackson Junior and John Morant, does not guarantee you anything. And as we saw with that Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell Corps, you know they probably are going to try to take a couple more swings at the Apple in the next two three years. John Moran is on the books for another three seasons. I think maybe we'll see that in these next two three years with Zach Edie out for the for a substantial amount of time next season with his ankle at surgery. I think this could be kind of like a gap year for them, is that they're going to try to continue to contend for a playoff position. But I think they're going to try to reload with these draft picks and take another swing, probably a year down the road.
Speaker 2: If they decided to put jaw out there.
Speaker 1: If they decided to put Ja Moran on the table, it's a tough one, Tom, because when he's right, he's hey. He's as exciting as any player individually. I still maintain that he is box office and the production certainly is there. I do think if you have John Moran on your team, there's a little iverson element where you got to play a way, And I don't know that that's good or bad, it just is. But what sort of market would be out there if they decided to put you on the table.
Speaker 7: Well, what's interesting is his salary is very close to Trey Young and they're kind of having identity issues too there in Atlanta. So I wonder if Jamran ever got on to the table, whether both franchises would just say, like, look, let's just let's just swap point guard and see where we're at. And it's funny because that's kind of what the Atlanta Hawks did on Draft Night with Luka Doncic, where they had the opportunity to draft Luka Doncic and they traded out and took Trey Young. And I think you could see something similar with John Morant if there is a market for a point guard who's as unreliable from not just a off court stuff, but injury wise too. This guy has not been very healthy that the last few years. Even the off court antics aside, I could see a team like Charlotte Atlanta really think about, you know, if we're gonna make a splash, is John Morant our guy? Toronto is another name I think about. Is trying to get into that conversation of taking someone else's star player disgruntled or you know, depreciated in value star player. I think you can talk yourself into it, but you know, this is John. Like you said, John Morant is a big risk reward move because the reward is you've got an all NBA talented point guard but doesn't have a reliable jump shot. And if you squint, you might see like a Shay Guildris Alexander, dynamic downhill driver. But if he doesn't have the same legs and bounce as he used to, and he doesn't have that defensive value, that that effort that you get from Shay Gildriss Alexander, it's gonna be tough to convince someone to take his long term contracts, no matter how much star power he has. It would take a team like charlot At Washington, Atlanta, Chicago, these teams that are kind of in the bottom of the East and look at like, hey, if they're selling off those stars in the Western Conference because it's just so hard to compete, we'll take a guy like that. So I think that the Southeast Division basically for the for the Eastern Conference, I think we could all think about whether Ja Morant is in the right situation for them.
Speaker 1: All right, So moving back to the Orlando takeaway here, because you use the term gap year earlier, very much feels like that's what's gonna happen in Boston. With Jason Tatum on the sideline and reports on a daily basis that they're willing to deal whoever, including Jalen Brown, the Cavs on paper still have a really talented team. All those guys are back next year, and ultimately they're gonna have something to say about it. I don't know if the Knicks have contacted you about their head coaching job, but there's certainly a lot to like about the roster.
Speaker 2: We don't know who's going to coach.
Speaker 1: Them, so just generally speaking, you know, you can throw the of course, the Pacers deserve their flowers. They're still playing basketball, and we'll see what happens with Giannison Milwaukee. Detroit has some things about them to like as a young, evolving team, But generally speaking, what does this mean for Orlando as far as where they're at on the pecking order in the Eastern Conference?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, this Orlando team just added one of the best three point shooters, swing guys, two way players.
Speaker 6: In the league.
Speaker 7: And he's not someone who's going to be an All Star, you know, guaranteed, but he's not a bona fide All Star. But he's right on that tier below like mckel bridges. And he got five first round picks last year. So I think the magic you know, last season, we're the fifth seed. Like two years ago, I named this past season they were the seventh seed. About a fire win or five hundred team next year with Desmond Vane, if you get that three point shooting that he does a high volume forty percent three point shooting, it's going to open up a lot for those those drivers in Franz Wagner and Paolo Bancaro. I think they could get into that top four. Like you said, Cleveland's going to be at the top there, Indiana, Detroit, the Knicks will be up there. But Orlando's going to try to take one of those top four spots. I don't think that they're a guarantee to make the Eastern Conference finals with this move. It's a hefty price. But if you're Orlando and you need three point shooting and putting a premium on it, this is the price tag. I think that they were also, you know, rumored to be in Anthony Simon's talks where it's like that guy is also an elite three point shooter that could really help them. But that price tag KCP, the Cole Anthony and the five picks, that's that's a lot, and I do think that that's worth you know, Desmond Bain, maybe a little bit of overpay, but as we're seeing with Drew Holliday, Chris af Zingis with the Celtics and this year with Alex Caruso and Isaiah Hartenstein. If you have your guy that you think is a missing piece to a title contention, go get them, go get them. And we're seeing that on both of these champions, these these finalist teams, they both identify players that they really thought were the missing piece, Pascal Siaffram for Indiana and that baulted them into the NBA Finals. And so Orlando just feels like with Jason Tatum and the Damian Lillard Achilles injuries, they feel like they're a piece away from contending for the East. I think they're on the outside of that conversation right now with Cleveland and with the with the New York Knicks and the Indiana Pacers, but they could certainly try to snag that number four slot.
Speaker 1: So I want to go back to something you reference because I agree with you that this does indicate that the Memphis Grizzlies did their calculation on their own situation and mainly Oklahoma City, whose roster is so young, and Okay, see, at some point we'll have some financial decisions to make. But they're so rich with draft capital that even if they have to move off the piece here or there, if they just want to build around shay Chet and Jalen, they can do that while continuously adding pieces through the draft because Sam's so good at that. Do you think that's a microcosm of the mentality of other front offices in the Western Conference just doing their calculation on OKAC and saying, Okay, we've got to wait it out a bit because we're not close to where they're at.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we didn't even talk about the Santonio Spurs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, or Dallas, right, maybe the MAVs with Cooper.
Speaker 7: Maybe the MAVs right, we didn't even mention Minnesota earlier, the Clippers. I mean, look at that, I mean San Antonio with Wemby, with Dear and Fox and maybe I don't know if you want to talk about this, but on the Kevin O'Connor show, the KOs Show this week, we were talking about if Utah moves up or tries to move up, and if they really believe that Dylan Harper is their guy, the Spurs could absolutely ask for lowry marketing and say like, look, if you're gonna if if you're gonna want to move up from five to two. It's going to cost your marketing. I don't know if Utah would do that train, but just for the hypothetical, if the Spurs ad Lowry and they get Dearon Fox, Stefan Castle and whomever they get at number five, that seems loaded. That starting lineup is loaded. And so you know the Spurs could be in that in that mix for a home court advantage in the Western Conference first round. Uh. And so for a lot of these teams in the middle, Sacramento, Memphis, Phoenix. You're seeing Phoenix try to offload Kevin Durant.
Speaker 6: Why would they do that?
Speaker 7: Well, they missed the plan this year. That's how good the Western Conference group is. And so I think those teams are going to be looking at the situation and saying, yeah, let's try to fight. Let's try to figure out a way to land a franchise piece.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: Because if Desen Bayne isn't that guy, then you know what, let's take another bite at the apple in a couple of years when Oklahoma City probably will have to have some tough decision makes around their core.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving over to the jazz angle here, Brian Windhorst. I don't know what show it was, but there was a video going around where he said he's told the Jazz are going to try to get involved here and actually not take a step backwards and maybe try to add some pieces to take a couple step forward. I think that's the wrong approach with that top eight protected pick that goes to you guessed it, Oklahoma City if the Jazz are out of the top eight. But you know the reports out there, and there are several are that the Jazz are very much open for business, taking calls on everybody, including Lowry Marketing. So when you look and look, player rankings are arbitrary and sometimes make me roll my eyes, but it is what it is. The Ringer Player rankings has Desmond Bane at forty seven, which feels low to be honest, and Lowry Marketing at fifty three. So maybe generally speaking we can agree that they're kind of in the same area, although I think maybe depending on what your need is, you look at one over the other. But if the Jazz are going to move on from Lowry based off of what Memphis just received for a player, that we can say is kind of in that could to sack. What sort of return can we expect if they make that decision?
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Think multiple first round picks. You also have to figure the fact that in that scenario that I mentioned, you're getting a guaranteed number two pick, whereas in the Orlando case, these picks are not guaranteed to be even lottery picks, you know, like or top ten picks. And so if you're you know, the the Utah jazz that matters is like, if you're going to move off of Larry Market and you're gonna want at least three first round picks or a guarantee top five pick, you know, something like that. It's so hard to pin down Spence because as someone who covers this nationally, the currency of a player like marketing, it's really hard to pin down when you've got guys like you know, Nico Harrison just throwing this for a total loop. The wrench that they threw into this whole thing by having Luka Doncic, who's way more valuable than Desmond Dane go for one first round pick, and Anthony Davis and Max Christy, it's really hard to peg. If you just find one GM, you can get a steal and get a haul for lowry marketing. And that's what that deal tells me, is that we can talk in these generalities about what lowry marketing will get you. But mckel Bridges is another cop for marketing, where it's like you can get a haul of first round picks. But in the case of Utah, I almost think that getting like guaranteed lottery picks rather than just like kicking one down the road, might be even more valuable at this point. And so I don't know what you think, Spence. If if the Spurs called often Age and the front office and said, look, we will move down to five, you guys can jump to two if you really want Dylan Harper to be the point guard of the future. But it's gonna cost you market in I think you're gonna if you're Utah, you asked for more than that, and I know your listeners will probably say yeah, absolutely. But I propose this to Koc this week, and he said, if I'm Utah, I'm good. As long as I get Dylan Harper, I'm good. I want that it is such a big jump to getting number two in this draft that it is worth marketing in a trade. I said, man if I am utah Jazz, I want fourteen. I want Spurs number fourteen pick as well, So in the deal it would be marketing. It would be the number five for the number two pick, the number fourteen pick from the Spurs, and then like Harrison Barnes and Kelden Johnson as salary filler. If I'm utah, I think about that deal to get off of Larry Markinen and just get that number two pick. But it really depends how much you believe in Dylan Harper as a franchise cornerstone. But there there are some people out there that think he has a lot of the makings of a James hard and Shae Gilders Alexander type. If you're Will Hardy, if you're Danny Ainge and Austin Angel and you're looking at this and trying to find your point guard of the future, how much do you believe that Dylan Harper is a vastly bigger upgrade than what you have now well said?
Speaker 1: And you know it leads us into the space of what win Horse had to say about the Jazz intension and who knows, But a deal like that makes a lot of sense to me. I mean, in my opinion, Tom, Priority one next year has to be holding onto that asset. You cannot win thirty seven games and fall to nine or ten. Now, there's no guarantee. We saw this year in the lottery. I get that, And so maybe there's a paradigm shift where we are going to be serious about competing and put our best foot forward about actually trying to win.
Speaker 2: But if we operate off and win. Horse is a very plugged in guy. I'm not trying to knock on him at all.
Speaker 1: But if we say that his assertion is actually the mentality of the Jazz front office and they do want to go all in taking legitimate steps forward, well, your plan, to me is the right one to go young and maybe grab a Dylan Harper. What would the what would the opposite look like with all these players available, Like, how could they add to this group to take a couple of legitimate steps forward and bring in some veteran players that are good, know how to win and want to come in here and do just that.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I see any avenue.
Speaker 7: You know, Boston might be moving off of Kris steps Forzingis or Drew Holiday. Right, there's there's those pieces. If you really want to go in now, but that requires you know, stomaching Drew Holiday and the fact that he's I mean, he's someone who's gonna win right now. But you have to make sure that that is like three dominos down. Is that like, you're not going to just take Drew Holiday at thirty five years old without two other players coming in there and ramping up. You know, let's just say, for just for throwing around some names here, let's just say that you got Drew Holiday potentially in a salary switch out where you're like, you know, maybe you move John Collins off and you try to bring in Drew Holiday to win right now, you talk to talk to New Orleans about their pieces and say, if you're really serious about Trey Murphy the third, let's talk He's a really good Desmond Bain type, two years younger than Desmond Bane, but I could see him being a star in another role. And then you just try to figure out are you able to get some more depth at the center position, whether it's Clint Capella, whether it's someone who can really help Walker Kess when I have to play thirty five minutes. But even as I'm talking myself through this experiment, this exercise. I just it's going to be a tough sell. They were not just bad, I mean seventeen wins bad last year, and so if they're going to go for it, I can't tell you how rare it is Detroit what they did this season. It is not wreckonabable replicable. That whole jump from Detroit is insane. And so I know it was possible. They showed the blueprint to do that, but look, you look at Utah's roster. Who's their Kake Cunningham. They don't have it right now, No, they don't. And so to that's delusional to think that you can ramp up and be like a really solid playoff team after being a seventeen win team. I think Brian spot On, I think there are intentions to add to this team, and maybe this front office wants to add to this team to be a playoff contender. But I think also what's true is that they might go to market and say, you know what, those guys are not available at the price that we can afford. And maybe they go into the market with one idea and they come out with another.
Speaker 1: All right, well end with the thought on tonight and the NBA Finals overall, you know, it's been it's really been cool because all four games have been different, right, and we've seen a chess match, We've seen adjustments, We've seen back and forth. Dad Nolt went deeper into his bench, gave ches, he gave Shay more rest. Jalen was initiating the offense. You know, zero assists. Would you look at it if you didn't watch the game, you'd like, what's up? Well, that wasn't what they asked of him, and allowed SGA to stay fresh, and he closed out the way that he can close out. Fascinated to get your take on these adjustments and what you think happens tonight, Tom, before I set you loose.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think Okasey wins. I picked OKAC in five and so I feel like they gave away game one and we could be looking at a closeout game here if that didn't happen. I think OKAC is the vastly better team. But Indiana plays so hard. This is the most competitive NBA Finals since I would say twenty sixteen. It's just insane how hard these teams play. They play the full ninety four feet and they cover so much ground. I mean they're averaging three more miles traveled per game than we saw last year. Between Boston and Dallas. Each team is covering three more miles of ground in forty eight minutes than last year's finals team. It six more miles are being covered by these players. I mean they're just all over the place, zooming around the floor, playing at such high speeds, up tempo, different actions. And Shay Gilders Alexander, they figured out a way to get him off the ball with Jalen Williams that was really smart and it also preserved him for that final stretch.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: I talked about it in on Tomdefinder dot com and the fact that Scott Foster being on the game really benefited them because he calls so many fouls out there that it lengthens the game and actually builds in rest time. And I think they're going to try to do that again, is try to figure out how we can keep up with this in young Indiana Pacers team that really throws you through loop with how fast they play. I mean it's not seven seconds or last, it's five seconds or less. They're getting past half court in like two seconds repeatedly. And that's the new York Mix couldn't keep up the Milwaukee Bucks, the Cavs couldn't keep up and shake Gildsris Alexander by playing off the ball. It is wonderful to have Jalen Williams on your team. Chet Holmgren and k som Wallace, guys who can bring the ball up up the floor today are just so good on both ends. I expect OKAC to win tonight, and I would suspect them closing out in Game six. It's been an amazing series. I do not want it to end in six because it's been such great basketball. But this OKAC team is just on another level, and I think they found.
Speaker 6: Something in Game four.
Speaker 2: Where can people go? Get your work?
Speaker 7: Tommy Yahoo's Sports, The KOC Show and The Big Number both podcasts every week on Yahoo Sports, as well as Tom Deefinder dot Com and Basketball Luminati podcast and right here every week on Mondays.
Speaker 2: Thank you, my friend. Enjoy the game tonight. We'll chat soon. Okay, all right?
Speaker 1: The Great Tom Average shows some really good stuff in there about his conversation with the KOC about the Jazz potential to maybe move up to two, and we'll get back to it. Well, coming up on the other side, I'll get Smithy's take on that. I will do some NBA Finals, We'll do some jazz, we'll do some draft. Bill Riley, Voice of the Utes. About an hour from right now, move into the five o'clock hour of the program. That will Sega night at six o'clock in time for the NBA Finals. Tom stops by today courtesy of our friends at Advanced Window Products, where right now you can get twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy ten windows or more. It's a great local Salt Lake company operated by front of the program Date Orchard. Mayor of sack Lake City is Buddy Jake Weber. They're just awesome people, come from a great family who's been running Advanced Window Products for a number of years. So, if it's the time for you, because the weather's about to get warm, it's been warm now for a couple of weeks. Is your house super hot? Are you jacking up the air conditioning, Well, you're wasting money and potentially if you need to wait and tell the fall, maybe you're gonna sell a house or whatever it is, or you're gonna wait till the winter before the house gets cold. If you need windows now, or you will need windows over the next couple of months. If you call today, you lock in the savings regardless of when the process happens. So twenty five hundred dollars off when you purchase ten windows or more at Advanced Window Products by calling eight oh one eight five zero ninety one hundred. That's eight one eight five zero ninety one hundred.
Speaker 5: He's deprived of Norwich, Connecticut and an adopted son of Salt Lake City. After forty years with the Utah Jazz, there's no one better to talk some hoops.
Speaker 2: Richard.
Speaker 5: Smitty Smith is back on the Drive on ESPN seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Are you trying to make Bill jealous? You know we do have Bill on the show today. We can't bring this back twice. I think Smitty's trying to make Bill checks. Oh okay, I think it's a great situation here. It's a great song Bill. Bill Riley's going to stop by in one hour from now, Voice of the Utes. But Richard Smith is live in studio for an entire hour on a jam packed Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Smitty, Happy Monday, sir, How are you I'm doing great?
Speaker 3: How are you doing? I'm good?
Speaker 1: There's so many things that I wanted to talk to you about. Let's start with a quick like JJ Spawn, Oh my gosh moment, because you and I are both golf fans, and it's interesting watching the best players in the world just have no answers for the problems that a coast of course like Oakmond presents. You know, the best, the best players in the world, some of them missed the cut, most all of them fell apart, and JJ Teeter two bogeying five of six and I wrote him off. I'm like, Okay, he's not ready for this moment. Sam Burns probably feels hard done because of the ruling. I mean, water was everywhere, Adam Scott falls apart, and after the weather break, JJ Spawn rolls back into the thing and wins it with a sixty footer on eighteen. I mean, a life changing moment. It's my favorite thing about watching sports like that. Dude's life just changed right there. How did you digest that moment? It's the whole thing.
Speaker 9: Spen's about a live theater, you know, like you go to a Broadway show and you sit down and there's been reviews of the show, and you're going there because you're excited to see it, and you're gonna be there for three hours, and you know what you're gonna get in terms of entertainment, and you know how how the play adds, right, the guy gets the girl and everybody's happy at the end or whatever.
Speaker 3: You know what's coming.
Speaker 9: But in sports, and then you know, in these kinds of moments, you have no idea what is coming next. And for those guys to be put in the position of the weather, the rain, the wind, you know, spawn goes out five bogies in the first six holes. Okay, well, you know it's just those are the conditions, and you got to hit the ball in the fairway. You can't get it out of the fairway. And if you do, then you know everybody's in the same boat. And he just held on and you know, grind and grind. And then in thirteen and fourteen, there's like five guys all tied for the lead and three other guys one shot back. And so all these guys on the leaderboard, out of a legitimate chance with four or five holes to play, to come out and grab it. Who's gonna grab you know? The one masters I was fortunate enough to go to who Spens in twenty eleven. It was the same a beautiful day, night's weather on that particular day, but it was the same scenario on the leader board. Everybody had a legitimate chance to come up and grab it. And who does it, of all people, Charles Schwartzel, who wins his one Masters in twenty eleven, comes down the back.
Speaker 3: Nine and goes birdie, birdie, birdie.
Speaker 9: On sixteen seventeen eighteen and just runs by everybody like in a horse race analogy in the last you know, fifty yards, runs right by everybody and ends up winning by half a length, you know whatever. And so jj Spahn is a grinder, thirty four year old guy, you know, a journeyman guy who's had some success, but one of those guys who's really playing from year to year to just keep his tour card. And he's able to grind something out on a special Sunday afternoon for him and then to do it with that but that he didn't need to. Obviously he had to. He just had the two putt to win it. But for that thing to go in like it did for him to win and clinch it right at that moment on the last stroke, you take of a major. That's that's your defining moment. That's what you're gonna have to carry with you the rest of your life, which which is.
Speaker 1: A great feeling, legendary. I mean, it was really and I don't know, I didn't know much about JJ. I'd seen his name near the top of the leader boards, he has one on the tour before, and he's been right in the mix. Do you think we've seen the birth of a star on tour? I mean, he's got to be getting consideration for the Ryder Cup now, doesn't he.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean he's he's uh, you know, he's in. To me, Spence is in a mix with there's a whole bunch of guys that are like him. Okay, not to diminish what he did, and not the diminish him as a play. He's a he's a regular tour player, but he he has been a grinded out kind of guy and he has been, uh, you know, from year to year, really has been playing to get in a mix every now and then, but mostly to have enough success to be in the one twenty five so he can keep his tour card and keep going the next year. Right, and so now he's thirty four years old. He gets on top of this mountain at the moment, and he should be feeling really good about it, you know. But there are a lot of those guys, whether it's Gary Woodland who did it several years ago, you know in LA You know guys who come up and they win. There one Charles Schwartzel I just mentioned in twenty eleven. You know Mike Weir, who's a long time pro, who's one of our favorites from the local area. You know, who won the Masters, you know when his one major. You know, these guys who are who are great, excellent golfers on the PGA Tour, but there's always something that separates them from the real top guys.
Speaker 3: And it's such a fine line.
Speaker 9: And you play seventy two holes and like we saw this this past weekend, and you played in the in the all kinds of weather conditions, and the thing that separates you from the next guy is a sixty five foot putt, is it, or or as one missed fairway where you had to hack it out just another thirty yards to get back and play, and that costs you an extra stroke, and now you lose the tournament by one or two or whatever. You know, It's just it's just that's how thin that line is over a four day period with the top golfers in the world. That's that's what makes it so daunting. But that's also what makes it so exhilarating as a fan to watch that live theater. Yeah, I thought I thought it was awesome. I was captivated.
Speaker 1: All right, Smitty, let's start here and then we'll kind of uh move it into a direction and involve our local basketball team, the Utah Jazz. Uh So, there's a method in the madness stick with us. So uh kind of us shocking trade, kind of a trade that nobody saw coming. It was announced yesterday and made a fish that the Memphis Grizzlies traded Desmond Bane to the Orlando Magic for Contavious called Well Pope Cole Anthony for unprotected first round picks and one first round pick swap.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's.
Speaker 1: Start with what that says to you of the mentality of the Memphis Grizzlies. Why does Memphis do this deal?
Speaker 9: Well, I think probably what they're looking at is is that they're trying to a get off some money. Okay, trying to manage their books a little bit. Bu they look at what they've got going and they see, okay, we're in the middle of the mix, but we don't really have anything that's going to jet propose us, you know above and you know, to get in the top three or four teams that you know, if everybody's healthy in the league, which you never can count on. And so we're making a calculated guestimate that that it's going to be better for us as long as we can get Morant and Jackson on the floor. We have two guys, Okay, all right, we're giving up our third guy. All right, maybe we can find another third guy somehow, Like they found Bain who was an early second round pick. And we're talking all all spring Spence about the draft and missing out on the top pick and having the fifth pick and you know, what are we doing when I can get a guy and whatever? You know, Desmond Baine it was an early second round pick, you know, by Memphis and were always talking about you can find guys. But that's what your job is when you're in that position. You have to go identify them, you have to evaluate them, and then you have to figure out a way to procure them, and uh, you know, Memphis is looking at it, I think probably in saying, well, you know, if we we can keep on Morant and Jackson for the next several years, then we have to just find another third guy and maybe we can get into another trade or maybe maybe KCP. I don't think he's that guy, but I think he's a good rotation guy now in his career. But maybe we find another young guy that we like to get in the mix. Maybe we get lucky in the draft, or maybe there's a guy we see in the draft that nobody else is seeing and we got him in our back pocket.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna go ahead and make this move because we think we can get that guy, you know.
Speaker 9: And again, who that would be, I don't know, but you know, that's that's one possible scenarios. They've identified a guy they like that they're they're hearing around the league nobody else is even talking about. And you know, so if they can get another Bane like they did at thirty one, thirty two, whatever it was several years ago, and and do something like that, then you know, then they're feeling like they're they're getting their books down, but they're also giving themselves some more flexibility going forward to build that roster out and try and be competitive as long as Morant and Jackson are there to help them.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad you brought that up. One more thing, and then we're gonna bring the Jazz angle into this. I've heard and read several people's surmise Memphis is open for business.
Speaker 2: This is a yard sale. I don't read it that way.
Speaker 1: Jaws under contract through twenty eight, and you know, it's actually kind of a reasonable deal for who he is when his mind is right, and I don't know what sort of market there would be for him. I would say, prior to all the gun chaos and off court bs, there was probably a robust market for a talent like that at his age. I don't know what sort of calls they would receive if it was out there that he's available. Jaron Jackson Junior is up for a contract extension. He's going to get paid. I believe he's up for the Supermax because he won Defensive Player of the Year. So look, if they put Jared Jackson Junior on the table, I think they get a lot of phone calls.
Speaker 2: I don't know that they get a Ton for ja right now.
Speaker 1: But I don't know that I read this as Memphis is now open for business and everyone's available.
Speaker 2: What's your take on that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well it could be you know, maybe there maybe they're going to take a page out of the Utah Jazz book and just trade all their guys and start over, because they're looking at the grand landscape from thirty thousand feet and saying, well, let's see OKAC the youngest team in the league and they're about to maybe win a championship, and San Antonio was about to get a guy another guy, and they're all all of a sudden going to make a big leap, and they're young guys. And then and then we've got the Denver is still sitting there in the in the weeds. And then we got you know, Golden States, or they just got Butler with you know, we got Dallas just and they're looking and going, well, where are we going? We can't get anywhere we're gonna get so yeah, so so maybe they're looking at what the Jazz did a few years ago and saying, hey, maybe while our guys are you know, good and highly thought of, and we can get something for him, you know, maybe we do that thing because I.
Speaker 3: Don't know where we're going.
Speaker 9: You know, we with our group that we got, now, we we like them, we think they're competitive, but these other guys are a step or two or three ahead of us. So we can grind and play hard and have everybody healthy and all that and end up you know in six, seven, eight, and so what where we going?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 9: So there's that scenario because because you have to always marry that idea spends the basketball stuff, roster building with your financial and the business part of it, and sometimes you have to look at and say, spending this amount of money on this group for the expected end result just doesn't make any sense. And so you know, we're better off re calibrating a step or two and trying, you know, maybe to reinvent ourselves on the fly. I I could see somebody saying, yeah, that's behind the closed doors, that's what they're trying to do.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And I would also throwing the wrinkle that that I would.
Speaker 9: Guess that if that's a scenario, that there's some weight on the idea that you know, they've they've grown tired of the jah morant, you know, soap opera, and no matter how talented he is, you know that it's just not worth, you know, all the heavy lifting it takes on the rest of the organization, you know, to try and keep the ship going forward. And so maybe it's just time to cut bait and figure out what our plan B is.
Speaker 2: So one more follow up.
Speaker 1: Then we're gonna bring the jazz into this, because there's an interesting jazz portion concerning job.
Speaker 2: And I can remember when.
Speaker 1: And this isn't a fair parallel, a perfect parallel, but you'll understand where I'm going when so news comes out, and this was before social media, it was before twenty four to seven inundation of information that Latrell Spreewell had choked his coach, right, and it's like, okay, what exactly what does that look? Because he was such a great talent, came out of Alabama, nobody really knew.
Speaker 2: What sort of NBA player he would be.
Speaker 1: Golden State kind of rises up to be this really exciting, great defensive wing that could get up and down finish on there. He's never a great shooter, but a really good player. And then the thing comes out about Carlossimo and it's like, Okay, what's the deal. The Knicks at the time ha an aging roster, and they were trying to make sure Ewing's final years in New York were supported with a good team. And I can remember when the opportunity came down for the next to trade for Latrell Spree Well, and part of the package was going to be John Starks, who was like the heart of that team in the nineties, And there was a real debate, internal debate, and my dad flew Spree out and he sat down with Jeff Ernie Grunfeld was the one that was kind of like somewhat against this, and you get it right now, Jeff was all for it because coaches want to win, and he knew he could coach him. He knew he was awesome. So with a talent like Jaw, I suppose there's a market for it. But let's say you're running a team and Memphis calls and they say, what about jaw you?
Speaker 2: What do you say? How does that process go down?
Speaker 1: And if Jow would be available, do you think the market would be robust enough to get what you should for a talent like that.
Speaker 9: Well, so as in any Shoppers market, Spence, it only takes one one guy. It only takes one general manager or one coach who has a lot of sway with the organization, you know, to say, hey, I want I want that guy, or I can work with that guy, or you know the the you know, other people are afraid of him or or don't know how to handle him. I know how to do it, you know, whatever, whatever it's going to be. Or you have a GM who feels like he's too talented and he you know, you have to get him if you can, and then it's up to the coach to to figure out how to work with them. And you know, and you have those conversations before you do anything like that because you want to make sure that that everybody's on board.
Speaker 3: You know, we had a scenario.
Speaker 9: I won't mention names, but we we had a scenario years and years ago with the Jazz where we were looking at adding a player through free agency who we thought would be a good piece to what our our core was still going on with stocking them alone. And and one of our guys went out and made a bunch of phone calls and talked to people who knew we are on the league or whatever comes back to a meeting and says, yeah, yeah, I did a bunch of homework on that guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you think.
Speaker 9: Well, well, I was oh for seven and we're sitting around the table going, oh for seven.
Speaker 3: What does that mean?
Speaker 9: Well, I talked to seven guys and none of them can support the idea of us bringing that guy in for whatever the varying reasons. Everybody had a different view, of different touch, a different experience. And then he said, however, having said that, I still think we need to bring him in because I think he can help us. And and so there was a lot of debate about that and a lot of discussion about well, what are we doing and how is it going.
Speaker 3: To affect our overall group.
Speaker 9: And you know, at that time, we had you know, two heavyweight guys and stocked in them alone who we felt, you know, could along with obviously with coach Sloan uh, you know, could deal with whatever the deal the fallout was going to be, or the or the the tough parts were going to be. And so, you know, eventually that decision was made to go forward, but it was but there's a lot of discussion around you know, when you're adding someone like that into a mix that you have to really be uh, be confident that your group, whether it's the coach, whether it's a couple of assistant coaches on your staff who know the guy or knew the guy in college, or I had prior experience with him on another team, or you know, whatever it could be, that your group will be able to handle it in a way that's professional, that is going to get you the desired results that you're after, you know, in that kind of move And and with with those kinds of things, Spence, there's a there's always a lot of moving parts and there are a lot of things you have to consider before you really decide to pull the trigger on something that's going to really have a big effect, maybe one way, maybe the other way, on how your group performs.
Speaker 1: Well said, let's move over to the jazz and you know, it's interesting to consider exactly what the Memphis deal says on a number of different levels. And I bring that up because I didn't know Desmond Bane was available, right. So I bring that up because there are always players that are available that are really good that the public just doesn't know about.
Speaker 3: But you knew donc was available. No, you knew that.
Speaker 1: Another good example, right, like that's why this league is wild. You wake up and you're like, wait, they traded who?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 1: So maybe there's the reason I bring it up in that context is Brian Windhorst goes on TV and references that he's been told the Jazz are going to try to level it up whatever that means, right, So like, I don't see that path, but I want to be fair. Maybe there are things out there that we have no idea about. So if that's the mentality of the Jazz, now, if they're like, Okay, we're gonna do the thing we're gonna take this off season, we're gonna add some pieces and we're gonna be right in the mix next year, what does that look like?
Speaker 2: I don't know that I see it, And we'll get to the other path that a moment.
Speaker 1: And the other path is I just talked about with Tom Haverstrow engaging with the San Antonio Spurs or a team that's ahead of them if they've identified the player they like to go move up in the draft to get a young player they can grow with their other young players. That seems more sensible to me. But Win Horses plugged in. He's an NBA reporter that people seem to trust. So if the Jazz are serious about adding to the group this year to take legitimate steps up next year, what do you think that looks like?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean again, Spence, there are a lot of different options and a lot of different ways they can go. And you know, as the old saying goes, it takes two to tango. So you can have an idea and you can say, this is what we want to do, and we can lay out a plan and we want to add this kind of a guy, we want to add that kind of a player, and we can shore up a couple of things on the wings with a couple of long defensive guys because we're one of the worst defensive teams in the league the last several years, and so we've got to start addressing that stuff. So, you know, if you're looking at building a foundation and trying to get better incrementally better, you know you have to do it.
Speaker 3: You know the old adage brick by brick.
Speaker 9: So you know, if you need to lay a whole foundation, you know, you may do it just one pieceet of time and just keep waiting and waiting and waiting, or you can try and add three or four or five at one time. But it's going to take you know, you have to pay something for that. You just don't get that stuff for free. And so you're gonna have to give up players or draft picks or you know what have you to be able to do something like that. But does it make sense in what your overall objective and your long range game plan is like? For example, I heard you mentioned in the earlier segment with Tom about you know, just hypothetically a guy like Porzingis or a guy like Drew Holliday.
Speaker 3: Okay, older guys.
Speaker 9: Porzinkus isn't he isn't old, he's writ in his private But a guy like Drew Holliday who needed toward the end of it, or if you had a chance that Kevin Durant who you know, you know, somebody like that who's still a very good player. But you know, what is it gonna take to get them and what real impact are they gonna have on what you're trying to do, you know, going forward and being sustainable for a while, that those are the things you have to factor in. You know, you can say all you want about well, you know, we're gonna we're gonna go fast and we're gonna get you know, stuff done or whatever. You know, but you know that is much harder to do, uh, to say, than this to to accomplish. And those are the things, you know. Look, Austin Ainge is gonna really work.
Speaker 3: Hard at it.
Speaker 9: He's gonna he's gonna give it a maximum attention and effort to trying to do those things. But but he doesn't come in with a magic wand you know he's he doesn't have a special potion just because he came from the vaunted Boston Celtics. You know, that doesn't that that doesn't lie. You know, you come, you come with your own set of of abilities and your skill set and your sensibilities to try and do what makes sense. But you know he doesn't have any magic answers. You know, if if there was such a thing, Danny Ainge would have had them, because Danny Ainge had already been through those kinds of mills several times.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 9: So so he's gonna come in and Austin Ainge is gonna try and do what he thinks make sense, and he's gonna throw stuff against the wall and something's gonna stick, and something's not and he's gonna come across some things that that he might be able to act on, and there's gonna be something that comes out, like you know, you're referencing defreen Dane and and we mentioned, you know, a guy like Luka Doncic, but something of that nature is gonna come around the corner and he's gonna blindside you, you know, whether it's the day before the draft or whether it's the middle of the summer whatever where you know, like the Jazz did with Gobert and Donovan Mitchell and all of a sudden, you want, somebody's best player is on the market for whatever the reason, and the Jazz are gonna try and and get involved in that.
Speaker 3: Are they able to do something? Does it work?
Speaker 9: Who knows, you know, But those are the kinds of things they're trying to give the fans hope that we're trying these things. We're gonna try a lot of different things. So hang with us because if we can get some stuff done, it's gonna be exciting, you know.
Speaker 3: But are they gonna get stuff done? Who knows?
Speaker 9: It's it's you know, the whole thing is a crapshoot when it comes to working with other teams and what they're after and what their their goal is is in the deal as well. You know, other teams are gonna want good players, right, So somebody's gonna want Marketing, right, or somebody's gonna want a young Kessler because they can add to their group because they think they have a chance to kind of win. Right now, the Jazz are trying to add guys who can help them to build a foundation of winning getting better going forward, without any expectation that we're going to be the Detroit Pistons, who I know you mentioned last time, the Detroit Pistons had several.
Speaker 3: Top five draft picks.
Speaker 9: Okay, they were a bad team, but they kept drafting and drafting and drafting, and they had a couple of guys, have a couple of very good players that they got high in the draft. But those guys have been in and out the last few years, have been hurt. And this year the guys are healthy and they're playing, and they added the right veterans, by the way, with big influence from Dennis Lindsay who's now with Detroit and who knows what he's doing. And you saw the leap the Pistons took to get in the playoffs, and now they're expecting to be able to take that next leap going forward, and the Jazz are hoping to duplicate something like that in their work.
Speaker 1: One more thing here, we'll catch a break, we'll do some NBA finals coming up and talk about some more potential. I will do a little draft on the other side too. So player rankings are arbitrary, and it's eye of the beholder stuff. I get that, and every outlet does it. The ringer does it every year. Then they updated throughout the course of the season. Desmond Bane forty seven, which actually feels low to me. Lowry market in fifty three, So that's essentially indicates that maybe they're in the same cul de sac. Maybe they're in the same area as far as and look at like, what do you need. It's not like they're different players. I understand that. But if we agree to say, okay, in the ecosystem of pro basketball, these two are around top fifty guys, which again might be a little bit low. And we see what Memphis just received as a result of trading Desmond Bane. Is it a similar type expected return if the Jazz do decide to deal Lowry.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it would be it's always spent. All those things are different. They are all everything is predicate it on what you need, what you are trying to accomplish, and how much you value being able to get to the goal that you're trying to get to. For example, you know, we talk about the Doncic and ad trade. You know, everybody says that Nico Harrison you know, got way too little and you know whatever and settled, you know, for for thirty cents on the dollar or whatever, you know, in terms of value of what he got. But to him, hard to believe we're still talking about this, But to.
Speaker 3: Him it was.
Speaker 9: He valued getting Davis, an All NBA player and defensive player and a big who's a top level player when he's healthy, and moving out someone who he didn't think fit the culture of what they were trying to build in Dallas.
Speaker 3: So other teams who aren't.
Speaker 9: Working with Doncic every day for six years, you know, saw differently, said are you kidding me? What's going on? So everybody looks at it through a different lens. That's why you see guys who are you know, you know, and you know, not really related, but just just comes to mind, you know, how you I have the beholder in the draft with Raphael Adoujou, the player from BYU right Toronto. For whatever their reason, Okay, they valued him high enough where they took him number eight in the draft.
Speaker 3: Okay. All of our research when we were.
Speaker 9: In that draft showed us that if he didn't go eight to that one team that decided to make that pick, he would have gone in the mid to late forties. Okay, So that's how everybody else viewed it. Okay, guess what everybody else was? Pretty right? Yes, yes there were, but one team saw it differently, and one team interpreted what they saw through a different lens. And that's what makes you know, the drafts so fascinating because you can get you can get uh a Ujo at eight, and in another year you can get Jalen Williams at eight, or another year you can get Steph Curry, who I think it was seven, right yo. But the point being that you know those things, You look at it and everybody's got a different take. And that's why you don't have one guy in your room just making decisions. That's why you have a whole group of guys who are doing it all year long. And so you're sitting there, you know, right now as we speak, ten days away from the draft, and those guys are hammering it out and discussing and debating and and throwing stuff across the room at the other guy who said, you know, you want to take Spence checkets.
Speaker 3: What are you nuts?
Speaker 2: Guy doesn't guard, but don't leave him open.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but that's that's what happened. And that's what's interesting to me, also, Spencer, about the draft stuff. It's really fascinating to me that the Jazz ownership, Ryan Smith, right, he's a decision maker, decides to bring in a lead decision maker three weeks before the draft. So you have a group in the room that's been working all year, and they've been working with each other, and they've been cross referencing and cross tracking guys, and they've been going to see guys, and they've been discussing in November and December and January about different guys and hey, Spence, you got to go see this guy. I just saw him last week. You know, we want to put him on our list. Okay, I'll go see it.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 9: You got all of that, you know, working together, you've got that flow, You've got that energy from the group. You've got the equity of the people in the room who have been there all year doing it. I've been listening to Spence check its every week in our meeting about what he's been saying about this guy, or how he changes mind two months.
Speaker 3: Later, and this and that, whatever it is. And then here it is in the you know, use a.
Speaker 9: Baseball reference in the ninth inning, and all of a sudden, a new guy walks in the room. And we're not just adding a new guy in the room to the discussion, but it's a new guy who's the guy calling the shots. Right, So now we have a new boss in the room three weeks before the draft. That has got to be very, very awkward for all the people involved. It's it really can can really tip the balance of the discussions of the the the vibe of the room, of what people have been discussing all year. It's really interesting that they chose to do that at that moment. They could have easily done something to add austin Ings to the group in some capacity. And then in August said, hey, you know, we've discussed things and blah blah blah, and and we're gonna make Austin ames the boss going forward or whatever.
Speaker 3: But they do that now.
Speaker 9: So that's that's fascinating to me because being in those rooms for a lot of years doing something like that, you know, can be very unsettling to a group that has been working in a certain direction for for a lot of a lot of months and and putting a lot of time and effort into it and then having someone else come in, uh proverbially at the last minute and maybe, you know, rock the boat or have a maybe maybe it's good. You know, maybe that's a good thing. I don't know, but but I certainly know that you know, that changes the vibe and the flow in the room. And that's going to be fascinating too when we get to see what kind of decisions the jazz Employee's.
Speaker 1: Still amazing that Ryan was able to hire Austin without ever mentioning a word to his dad.
Speaker 3: That's it happens all the time.
Speaker 2: It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people gepped out of the loop all the time, and Austin never said anything. Especially your family, Yeah, no, for sure, you never talk about any of that when it comes to changing your life entirely. Speedy's taking a victory laughter and a break about his Red Sox beating my Thankees over the weekend. John Carlos Stanton will be activated tonight.
Speaker 2: Spinny about that?
Speaker 3: How about that? And you know what he's being activated.
Speaker 9: He's in New York and nobody knows about it because Otani's pitching tonight in LA.
Speaker 1: You know, we probably don't talk enough about Otani, right, like in the context of really being as unique as any player has ever been to his respective sport, right, I mean, he probably deserves more airtime like everywhere, every every time I see a highlight or see a stat and don't really understand how specifically unique he is.
Speaker 2: I'm like, we should talk about this, this, this dude more than we do.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: You know what's interesting, though, Spence, when you have guys that are like international players and they and they're reticent to speak the language and uh and some of them can speak, you know, somewhat, and you know, but they just they're uncomfortable in front of a media and and and and the public speaking because they don't want to make a mistake and they don't want to look look. Uh, So they err on the side of not saying anything and talking their native language through an interpreter, and so sometimes that, you know, loses a little bit of the luster or or the attention you might get on what you're doing, you know. But but Otani, this is this is like a generational guy, like just you know what he not only what he does, but how he handles his business every single day and goes about being a two way player. Now we're going to see how much of his arm is still there and and how he eases back into it. He's going to open tonight, maybe pitch just the first inning. If he gets through the first inning, and maybe they'll see how he feels and he says, yeah, I can go on throw another ten pitches. So we'll let him go out in the second inning and see how that goes and and ease him into it. But he still wants to be in the rhythm of pitching and hitting and pitching and hitting and playing all the time. That's what he's used to doing. That's where he gets his rhythm for being able to focus all the time. And it's it's gonna be exciting to see to see how he performs tonight, first time in almost two years on the mound.
Speaker 1: Total non sequitor, random question, but it was based off of what you said last segment about Raphael Rougeo. Yes, who I can remember like scouting during that time in Washington playing and be like, well, he's bad at basketball. I know he's big and strong, but he doesn't do anything. He can't shoot, he can't dribble, he doesn't move well, but he's just big. So stunned that he was drafted eight, I wanted to ask what was your because that had a really unique experience at the Mountain West Conference tournament when for debt was for debt when Jimmer was jimmering, and it was actually Danny Ainge who said, comes sit by me and let's watch this game. That was when Jimmer went for like I don't know, I think it was forty two against Kawhi and San Diego State. And I said to Danny, said, what do you think as far as Jimmer is an NBA prospect? He said he said, he has no shot test have a chance. It's like, well, you're a BYU guy. And he kind of walked me through his assertion as to why he didn't believe for that was an NBA player. He was a lottery pick and BYU fans love to be revisionist. Historians will say he wasn't used correctly by Keith Smart, and then you know that hinder disagree. He would have led the NBA in scoring if he landed. It's very Zach Wilson Jets. You just don't want to say out loud that he might not be very good. What was your calculation on for det as a pro?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, well we thought our group, you know, really was mixed on him, mostly about whether he could be a fridge a rotational guy or whether he just wasn't good enough to play at the NBA level. I personally always thought that he was the kind of guy, you know, who would thrive either in Europe because of the way they play. I really thought he'd be a good player in the euro League, which is which is a top level league, or a place where he ended up which was the best thing for him in the long run, playing in China where there is no defense and where he could shoot thirty five balls a game, and which he did, and he did it, and he was the star. And he was playing in Shanghai and which is like playing in New York City. So he's getting all the endorsements and he's getting all the love from the fans and all that kind of stuff. And he didn't have to worry about playing defense, and he didn't have to worry about, you know, not being very athletic. Uh and and that league is that way, and and it was a good good spot for him, made a lot of money, got to play a lot for him. You know, he was you know, bounced around several NBA teams just not athletic enough, not not quite good enough, you know, to stick with the team to be able to offer something like that like we we had.
Speaker 3: We had j C.
Speaker 9: Carroll in for a workout when he was coming out of Utah State, all Utah States, all time leading score. And I remember meeting with jay C and saying to him, hey, you know, you uh, you have to have one skill you can lay on and you have to be able to do that at such a high level to just get a foot in the door. And for him, it was going to be you know, being his catch and shoot jumper and and and it wasn't gonna work out in the NBA because he's a six to two shooting guard. But he went to Europe and and got his foot in the door with Real Madrid and became a a UH main guy and a rotational guy and a key piece to several UH euro League and La Liga championed ACB Championship teams in Madrid and UH became a mainstay in Real Madrid for over a decade and UH, you know it was it was a very good player in Europe. And Jimmer I always thought he could have been that he had one year panton KOs and Athens and there there a can be a top level team. I just won the euro League but last year. But they they're a team that where he could have a chance. But they were they kind of have a goofy owner, you know, who gets involved in everything there and UH, and he didn't get any traction with them, and and I think smart for him he went back to UH, to Shanghai and and UH where he could play his game and and and make some money and and UH and have a good successful career that way. So you know, I don't think Jimmer was taken ten by Sacramento. And he was the perfect example spence of how the CBA is set up to work. And that is on the one end, you can have like a Gordon Hayward, who if a team drafts you, and they like you, and they develop you and they want you. The team controls your career for the first seven years, and then the back half of your career you control where you want to go. And we saw that with Gordon Hayward when he had the free agency after the seventh year and chose to go to Boston. Jimmer for Debt was taken the first round. You get two years guaranteed money. You have a third year team option and a fourth year team option. Sacramento took him. They had him for two years. They liked him as a player, they liked him as a guy, as a person, as a worker, all that stuff. They determined after two years he's just not an NBA guy. So instead of continuing to have him on the roster and to pay him money and we just don't believe he can do it, we're just gonna cut our losses. So in that example, they drafted him, they go for he played for two years, he gets the guaranteed money, and then they let him go and now he's a free agent and do whatever he wants. But then the team is out of the obligation and they can move on to make other decisions. That's that's how the CBA is set up to work. Oddly enough, two guys involved locally that we know very well, Jimmerferd Debt on one end and Gordon Hayward on the other end, that there are prime examples of how the CBA is set up to work, yep, in the way that the teams choose to do.
Speaker 1: All right, let's do one more Jazz thought because I didn't get to this last segment. Then we'll end with your thoughts on tonight's game five. It's a massive game. It's about two hours and twenty minutes away. You can hear it on our station. It's okay, see Indiana Game five in the NBA Finals. So we discussed the win horse stuff where he's been told the Jazz are going to try to take steps forward and add to the group and maybe win at a higher level next year. I'm not buying it because I just don't think it's the right approach. As I have said a million times, and we'll say another million times. Eighth pick, top eight protected pick that goes to OKC. At this point in your journey, you have to hold on to it.
Speaker 2: That's my opinion.
Speaker 1: So the other avenue that Tom Haberstrow and I had spoke about, is if san Antonio is willing to move on from two and the Jazz have done their determination, that Dylan Harper, as you would say, is a guy the guys somebody that you can say, Okay, maybe this is Arcade, Maybe this is our Bancaro, Maybe this is our Tyres, maybe this is our Maybe this is the guy that can actually be a guy that we can build around san Antonio. It's interesting, like they're not gonna. I don't think they would trade Devin Vessel. They're obviously not trading Wembin Yama, They're obviously not trading Stefan Castle. So the framework of a deal Smitty that could work would sound like this Kelton Johnson, who there's some things like about Kelton Johnson, like he's still young's twenty five, doesn't shoot it all that well. He's about twelve points five boards last year, and Harrison Barnes in exchange for lowry marketing number five. You move up to two, you bring in Johnson and Barnes just for salary matches, and you go up to two, and you grab, you grab Dylan Harper. Something like that seems to make a lot more sense than like, if you add Porzingis and Holiday to this team now for nothing in return, you're still treading water. So that direction seems to make more sense to me just generally speaking. Give me your thoughts. Yeah, well it makes sense, Bence.
Speaker 9: If you've determined that you know in this scenario that Dylan Harper, you think he's gonna be another the next John Morant, or the next Damian Lillard or the next Gilgess Alexander whatever. If you think he can be that kind of a guy and drive a team that way, then you do. If you're in the jazz seat, you do whatever you have to do to get that guy, because it doesn't matter because the other the guys you're giving up, the assets you're giving up, what does it matter. That's why you have them. So when you have an opportunity to land on a guy that you believe can be one of your main guy's long term going forward, you do that now. I do remember, and I don't know if it's been talked about reported on lately, you know, in that framework, way back early in the season, I remember there was some quote from his dad saying something about, yeah, yeah, my son and I don't want my son playing in Utah or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sent out something on social media.
Speaker 3: Yea, it was something like that, but okay whatever. But but you but those those are real things.
Speaker 9: So if you you know, you know, that's how Eli Manning got from instead of being in San Diego, got to New York Giants because he said he's not going to play in San Diego. And now what John Elway, did you know he wasn't gonna play for for Baltimore?
Speaker 3: Are you you know?
Speaker 9: That's how we ended up in Denver and all these kinds of things. So if a guy is saying right out of the shoot, you know, I you know, if that's true. I don't know if it is or not. And it wasn't him, it was his dad whatever. And I don't know this kid and haven't been in a room with him, so I don't know how he how he interviews, what his personality is, whatever. But if those things line up, and those things match up to what you're trying to do, and his talent is something that you think is really has a chance to be a special thing, especially at the point guard position, that's a guy you want to get hands on because as we just mentioned Spence A. You're resetting the salary clock. Okay, you get out of marketing his money. In that scenario, you bring in Barns, you bring in somebody to get money for a year or so, and then that money goes away. But you'd have Harper for at least a minimum of seven years under control while you try and build stuff around him. If that's something that that you're convinced about is a real thing and that you would like to hang your hat on, then those are the kinds of things that you as a jazz have been positioning yourself to do. And now if this is something that might be presented, it might be on the table. That's the kind of thing that you know, from my perspective, you you just grab, you do that that Jim Fossil thing. You just push all your chips in the middle of the table, and you bet on that one hand and you do whatever you gotta do to make that move happen. And that that's the kind of stuff. Spencer really also regenerates or reignites, i should say, a fan base, right because they because they say, oh, you you got a guy you really like, Oh and you're really you're really going after and you got him and you're bringing him, Okay, let's go. You know, and you know and then and then you see it plays out how it plays out. But those are the kind of moves that you want to be in position to be able to do and and uh and if they're there, you want to really be able to to make your full commitment to pounce on it.
Speaker 1: Man if san Antonio added lowry marketing and let's say VJ. Edgecomb or Trey Johnson to this group, Hello, talk about ahead of schedule. Uh, so we'll see, all right, smitdie before I set you loose. I think my favorite thing about the NBA Finals is from my prism, all four games have been really different, right, and this is a battle of two very well respected, smart coaches and two groups that have been able to come together and in different ways been able to find success. I keep saying since January, the two best teams in the NBA are these two teams. Okace is one and the Pacers are two. So we saw Mark Dagnall in Game four take Shay off the ball and actually give Shay more rest and Jalen was kind of initiating the offense. So if you didn't watch the game, and you look at Shay's line, he said, wait, zero assists, what gives? That was part of the design he was not initiating. It allowed him to stay fresh and in the fourth quarter he closed he had twelve point I think fifteen in the fourth they outscored Indiana twelve one down the stretch to get the winning game four. We go back to Okase tonight for game five. Obviously very pivotal. It's two two. What do you think goes down?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, it's a fun series to watch, and I don't count out anybody spends you know, you like okay see, I like okay see. The defense has been unbelievable all year and during the playoffs, and they can ratchet it up. But Indiana has had some special thing going on. And you can look at all the three series they had before this, and they had, as you well know, being a Knixt guy, special bounces of the and special things that happened.
Speaker 1: And the next contact to you about the coaching job.
Speaker 9: Yet by the way, just you know, I I am on the bottom of the list, but they're getting very close to me, so so we will see the But but with that, you know, Indiana has had a lot of things go their way and and and a lot of them been.
Speaker 3: Because of them.
Speaker 9: You know what we would we always use the word, you know, you want to make an if you make an error doing something, you want to make an error of co mission rather than an error of O mission, meaning meaning if you're going to fail as something, you want to try and and and and get something done and try and go after it. Those guys have gotten to where they are because they just keep getting after it. And even when they're down a bunch, as we've seen in several of their playoff games, they just keep grinding and going after it. They don't give up. They don't they don't wave a white flag. They keep getting after it. And they and they've shown what you can do when you play a full forty eight minutes. You know the old Yogi berral line that it ain't over till it's over. And so you know, I don't put anything by them. I'm excited for the game tonight. It's gonna be fun, you know, for those guys to see both teams lay it all out there. And again, Spence, you just hope it doesn't hinge on somebody having an early Jason Tatum type injury or somebody getting three early fouls and two ticki tac foul calls and now they're out of the.
Speaker 3: Game for a big stretch.
Speaker 9: You just hope they can both go full bore and and go at it and then and then see like we did in the US Open yesterday, see what happens coming down the stretch in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: Should be fun.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: I've been wildly impressed with both these teams for different reasons. So Game five tonight comes your way about two hours from right now, six thirty Mountain time.
Speaker 2: We'll say good out at six o'clock. Smity, Great to see my friend.
Speaker 3: Great to see you. And we're gonna we're gonna be a show next.
Speaker 1: Week, right, Yes, we are Draft Draft cover Smitty Gordy, and we will be on location for both round one and round two. Oh good, June the twenty fifth, June the twenty sixth. And when I have all the information, you will be the first to know. I promise you that be the first.
Speaker 3: I'll be the first to though yet well I.
Speaker 1: Don't know yet. When I know, I promise you will know.
Speaker 3: There we go, Yeah, there we go.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next week I met the great at Smith. I'm just realizing I dropped the ball. My bad lot going on fluid situation, busy show, and I was supposed to bring in our next guest with the best boy band in the history of Provo. And of course I don't have to say the name, because everybody knows who I'm talking about when I say that, Ryles Jericho Road.
Speaker 2: I forgot, man, I apologize, how are you, Bud?
Speaker 8: We've got We've got a lot more appearances coming up through the summer and fall. I have no doubt that Porter will be able to find some I mean, who doesn't love a little good JR On on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Don't call them JR.
Speaker 1: And in an honest moment, I'm actually very upset you reintroduced them to me because I may have gone down a rabbit hole to watch their music. It's the most irritating thing in the world. So I'm actually kind of mad at you, Bill.
Speaker 8: Are they are they still playing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 8: Are they still doing summer tours? Are they are they they hitting you know, linger longers and trying to trying to get people to re rekindle their careers.
Speaker 1: I really hope not because now they're probably in their late forties. But the one that looks like Tony Jones is probably still making music somewhere.
Speaker 6: I hope Tony's listening. Jack probably have no idea who they are. Now he's going to google them.
Speaker 1: Jerich Co wrote, has a member that looks like Tony Jones. That's stop me when I'm lying, Bill, stop me when I'm lying.
Speaker 8: I'm not stopping you.
Speaker 3: Okay, fair enough?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 8: Oh good?
Speaker 5: Are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good?
Speaker 2: What's uh?
Speaker 1: What's got the attention? What's got the Bill Riley attention these days?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 8: Well, today I was fortunate enough to sit down with some of the football coaches putting kind of a podcast series together with Utah Football that will drop a little bit later on this summer. So I was kind of in a little bit of a football mode. Porter reminded me, I believe we're seventy five days until kickoff. So that's that's there. And outside of that, I've I've not been wildly entertained by the NBA Final. I don't know why I've tried. It's it's just not catching me. But the hockey is I've been all in on Panthers oilers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Stanley Cup Final has been awesome. It has been.
Speaker 1: It has been every year. It's great. I'm hoping for seven games. I feel like Florida might close it out tomorrow. But since you, you know, our listeners always interested for a little behind the scenes peak at the Utah football program, and we'll do some big twelve basketball schedule stuff and maybe some house VN Cuba because everybody wants to talk about that. But since you, since you are behind closed doors now in a way that you didn't used to be working up there, what can you shed on a little light as far as as the coaching situation, how they're feeling, and maybe you know, expand on this podcast here as you have coming up.
Speaker 8: It's well, the series will be kind of a little bit later on this summer. It's just me sitting down. It's not all football. It's just kind of like lifetimes, how did you get here? Things like that, kind of diving. They're not super long, they're not Joe Rogan three hour long deals, but it's kind of a good snapshot. And there's a handful of new coaches on the staff. Some of the guys have been there. It's just kind of just kind of you know, talking about football and careers and things like that. It's been a lot of fun to catch up with these guys. I know them, but you know, some of the guys you see and everybody's always busy. There's been a fun time just to kind of sit down and catch up and reconnect with them. But as far as you know, I'm over at the football building a couple of times a week, and you know, it's a lot of what we talked about Spence. There's just a really good vibe around the group. I mean, there just really is. Talking to some of the defensive coaches, they saw that all offense firsthand this spring. They're excited about what the possibilities are. You talk to the offensive coaches, they're like, hey man, we went against one of the best defenses all spring in the Big twelve in college football, and it's you know, kind of the iron sharpens iron thing. So you know, there's still a month and a half out from camp beginning, but there's a really, really good vibe, and I think there's a lot of excitement in the building, not just among coaches. When you talk to the players, there's a good buzz about it too, So that's just kind of where football is right now. But I'll give you some dates maybe on a future hit with you on when some of these podcasts are going to drop. But it's gonna be fun. It's gonna be a nice look inside of Utah football on the coaching side of things.
Speaker 1: So just to be clear, we're not going to get two hours of Jim Hardy and on Iver Mechnin.
Speaker 2: Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, probably not more Haley incitings with Marcott tuwaya.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hey, I'm an idea man. I think there might be something there. But fair enough so I know that as an employee, you can't speak about the past, you know, three or four weeks when they've been hosting recruits. But we do have media information on players that have signed, so I'll leave that aside for the sake of this conversation, give our listeners kind of an inside peak on what these visits are like and what the coaching staff says to the players. And now they're kind of selling their program to these young men.
Speaker 8: You know, I think they're really obviously selling culture. They always sell culture up there, and even with all the changes in college football, one of the constants. I think has been the culture and the family atmosphere. The Kyle Whittingham and before Kyle it was Ron McBride have really fostered up there. And I think in this day and age, where you go around a lot of places, I think some of the feedback is that a lot of places these recruits go. You know, we know money is going to certainly be a component of it, but the feedback that they get a lot from these recruits is how impressed they are by the culture and the continent. He up there with the Utah coaching staff and even the players within the building, and you know, you know in the years, here's interesting. I got this from a few different people. One of the guys and we talked about this a little bit with Cam Robot, with Cam Rising and even Britain Covey when he was there. How those guys were such great ambassadors for Utah football. And we're really in on the recruiting. I've been told by a number of people to Devin Dampier, we're talking about a guy that's been here all of six months. He's already won over his teammates. But apparently he's been a guy that's been all in and you know, during the recruiting process and being wanting to meet with recruits and talk with guys and do some of that stuff. So I think the message has really been a positive one. And I think the new offense certainly is getting some shine too because of some of the track record that Beck has had at both Syrah Hughes. But even last year at New Mexico.
Speaker 1: What have you learned about coach back? Of course, new offensive coordinator. A lot of fans very excited about this new offense with Devin and Waishan and some other new pieces. But from the day you and it's one thing to read about him, it's the one. It's one thing to watch film on his previous you know, offenses or what have you. It's another thing to know the measure of the man. It's another thing to get to know him and talk to him. And in the course of the months he's been on campus. What sort of information can you sut as far as getting to know him? What kind of person is he? What kind of coaches he?
Speaker 8: Well, he's a great guy. His door is always open, you know, sometimes coaches even if you pop by it or like oh hi, well I'm busy Jason's one of these really outgoing, affable guys who it feels like every time I bump into and we talked for five or ten minutes about football and about life and about his move and getting the family here and being back here in Utah and how excited they are. But from a football standpoint, a lot of the feedback I've gotten in talking to players and coaches through the spring as they integrate this offense is how malleable it is. Meaning he's a guy that has an idea of what he wants to do. But what he's really good at doing, because he did it at both Syracuse and New Mexico, is is adapt his offense to the personnel that he has, If that makes sense. A lot of guys talk about it, but what they did in the one year at New Mexico was pretty impressive, being fourth in the NCAA in au total offense. When you know they Devin dan Pierre hadn't really been a starter, and some of the guys that they had were first year in the program. So what I've gotten is he's been really good at bringing these guys up to speed and melding his offensive philosophy with the guys that are in the program already. So I think that people are going to be very pleasantly surprised when they see this offense roll out this fall against UCLA and cal Poly and Wyoming and then obviously into conference play.
Speaker 2: So I was reading a big twelve.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is the time of year where all the previews out and people are trying to prognosticate about predictions and such, and I believe I read Utah is near the bottom of the conference ever returning starters, which maybe some years that's not necessarily a good thing, but coming off a year where it was tough sledding in a lot of ways, that may not necessarily be a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Forty new comers.
Speaker 1: According to coach Wit, it's looking like at this point the total includes twenty two high school signees from the early signing period in eighteen transfers overall. So talk to me about that dynamic ryles Like, again, some years, maybe losing a number of different starters for whatever reason could be catastrophic. It doesn't feel like that's the deal this year, with all the buzz surrounding the forty newcomers, tell me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 8: Dynamic offensively, about the only starters you have returning or the offensive line. Running backs are new, wide receivers are new. The tight ends that played last year really a lot are all gone. So you know the offensive line is going to be really good and they're all back, but it almost feels like, you know, Utah was recruited for a former offense, Andy Ludwig offense. A lot of that personnel was brought in for that. I don't think it's such a bad thing, especially in this day and age where rosters turn over so much, that you've got some new faces on offense. Defensively, they lost some starter spence, but because of all the injuries they had last year, so many of those guys played. So I don't think it's as big a deal on defense, and they actually return a bunch of starters on defense. But on the offensive side, especially with the changeover on offense, I don't think it's such a bad thing. Plus, you've upgraded your quarterback position in some ways. I think you've probably upgraded your starting tailback. Plus the overall depth of tailback tight end isn't going to be as big a part of the offense as it was maybe under Andy Ludwig. That's not to say it won't be a part of it, but you're not going to probably see as much three tight end sets as you did when Andy was calling the plays. The big question still is and they added some nice pieces in the in the summer portal period or the spring portal period at wide receiver. You know who those top six or seven wide receivers are, and so I think that's really the big task that Jason Beck and Mike A. Simon, the wide receivers coach have once they get back together camp at the end of July.
Speaker 1: It's always an interesting conversation out about the dynamic between coach Wit and his offensive coordinator. And you know, for a long time there was so much turnover that there wasn't a lot of continuity. Coach Lot brought that to the program, and oftentimes it was discussed about how much autonomy did Andy hadjuckstaposed to the influence that Kyle has on a program that is his to run. Bottom line. The bottom line is the bucket will always stop with him. But tell me what you've noticed about the relationship and the dynamic between Coach Beck and Coach Wit. As far as how you think that's going to work with communication and autonomy and all those things.
Speaker 8: Well, I haven't seen a lot of it, only because it was springball. I mean, Kyle was around a little bit watching the new offense, but he's such a CEO, you know, you see him at practice moving around watching the offense, watching the defense, watching different things. I think that that's a relationship. Obviously, because they've never worked together, that's still evolving. But my sense is he hired Jason for a reason. He liked his offense. And I know that Morgan Scally had some input on it too, because obviously Scally's there, and I think Morgan's made the comment a couple of different times, and hey, what he likes about that the offense that Beck runs is Jason Beck is very good at finding ways to stress your defense, finding that weak link or where you're not quite as good defensively, and then exploiting it. And so I think that's a lot of what Kyle was looking for. Something that was a little bit more simplistic, that's a little bit more plug and play, but something that could stress other defenses while still kind of maintaining and Beck's offenses doesn't do this. There's balance with it. I mean they ran for over three thousand yards last year at New Mexico, they threw for about three thousand, and they rush for three thousand. That's pretty good balance. But as far as how that dynamic goes, I haven't seen it enough. I haven't been around it enough. I think it'll take kind of a fall. But I'm sure it's just kind of an evolving relationship now. Just because they haven't they haven't worked together a toime.
Speaker 2: So last Friday.
Speaker 1: And you'll get a kick out of this because you did this job on a daily basis for how many years? How many years did you do a daily radio show?
Speaker 3: Bill?
Speaker 8: Right? About twenty seven?
Speaker 1: All right, so you did it for a long long time. Next year will be twenty for me full time. I did part time for about four or five. So I'm getting close to your riles. But I got a few years left before I can say twenty seven. So you know, when when you finish your show and you getting alert five minutes later that something sizable has happened, you're like, oh, man, Like, so Friday News done, plast, Friday House NCAA is across the line, all right. So here's where I want to start with this portion of the conversation. There are a lot of people that are saying, Okay, finally, even playing field. Finally rules read will does sport ever have an even playing field? Or will will there always be a car dealer in Tuscaloosa that's willing.
Speaker 2: To pay a player five five million dollars or what like?
Speaker 1: Is it possible to make an absolutely even playing field so the Utahs and the Byus can keep up with the Oklahomas and the texas Is and the Bamas.
Speaker 2: Is that ever going to be a thing?
Speaker 8: Well, No, I don't think the even playing field. What this does is kind of balance it out a little bit more. But you're still able to donate to your I don't know if collective is the right word anymore. Some are still separate, Some have been brought in house that that house settlement money is almost just kind of like a floor or a baseline spence. There's going to be programs that are still going to be spending more and above that based on donations that come in. But that does enable schools to be able to remain competitive in some places. But the Ohio States and the Oregons and the Michigan and maybe the USC's of the world. They're you know, if they're committed, and it doesn't even have to be just those schools, schools where they're committed to it, they'll they'll probably still go above and beyond that. But what it does do is give schools the ability to be able to be competitive to a certain level. But unless you went to a full on salary cap. And here's the other problem, and we've seen this forever in collegiate athletic spense. People have always been willing to break the rules, or been the rules, or circumvent the rules. Now they's supposed to be a third party coming in that's supposed to be, you know, kind of the law enforcement branch of this, and they're supposed to be very punitive penalties if schools are found to be breaking rules. But we've heard that before with the n double A. I'm going to be really curious to see how that works. But you know, unless you go to some sort of a pro model where you know, you know, you can't circumvent the salary cap in the National Football League, other leagues do, I mean nobody else as a hard cap. They have aprons and luxury taxes and things like that, but if you want to be truly even, the only way to do that is to go to a hard cap, and there's only one place that's done that really in all of sports. Well, I shouldn't say that, because I think the NHL has a hard cap too, don't they. So maybe the NFL and the NHL, I think, are the only two professional sports to do that. But I don't see a day anytime soon where college athletics is even for everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't see that. I don't see that day ever, quite frankly. And yes, I mean, I do believe that collective bargaining is needed, and I think at some point powerful attorneys will step in and unionize these young people that play sports and institutions and implement collective bargaining with governing bodies. I don't know if that's for all sports, probably not, but certainly for football and basketball. And I want to move over here. So, according to Dan Wetzel, the initial estimate within the industry as far as how athletic departments will to siminate the cash they have at their disposal to pay these players now, so twenty point five million, okay, so seventy five percent of that allocated to football players, fifteen percent of that allocated to men's basketball players, five percent to women's basketball players, and then five percent to other sports. Now, Mark, if you're listening, I'm asking him the question, So get off of them if you don't like the answer. Do you have any insight as to how Utah plans to disseminate their twenty point five million No.
Speaker 8: I don't. I haven't set in on any of those meetings. I don't know if that will become public either. I think what Wetzel did was probably average it based on his guestimations and talking to people. That feels a little high, not completely high. But I think I was on with Sean on Friday and I said, probably in that sixty five to seventy percent range would be probably where you saw football. One because it's the engine that drives the machine. But two, there's just so many more players on the roster. You need more money to be able to fund that. So I you know, again everybody's guessing at it. It sounds a little high to me. The Wetzel numbers not too high, but it sounds a little high. I would guess more in the sixty five to seventy range probably for football across the board, and I would say men's basketball probably will get, you know, in the neighborhood of fifteen to eighteen percent, and then women's basketball and that five to ten and the rest spread out along the among the Olympic sports, would be my guest.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to NIL, I think there are people that maybe don't fully grasp that this is not that okay, this is money that schools can now pay the players.
Speaker 2: NIL is separate from it.
Speaker 1: You reference this new College Sports Commission that's being run by Brian Seey, who is a former Major League Baseball executive. So now everybody has to report NIL deals of six hundred dollars or more and it goes through kind of this algorithm Deloitte, you know, some other software will be involved. I wonder if you have any insight on how, if at all, this effects in the University of Utah.
Speaker 8: No athletes will still be able to go out and pursue individual deals, There's no doubt about that. And in a lot of ways, the athletic department, the Crimson Club, all those folks are going to do their best. They have been already. They're going to make even more of a concerted effort on top of what you said, and you said it correct. The settlement is different. But most of these universities in Utah included, have a you know, a section of their athletic department now dedicated to this, and they want to do their best to help these athletes, Like you said, whether it's a six hundred dollars deal or whether it's a sixty thousand dollars deal, you know, help connect them with donors or business owners in the community to be able to do that. So yes, I mean, I think we've conflated the terms nil And for a long long time, the true nature of name, image and likeness was supposed to be about the individual going out and kind of seeking it on their own, and I think that's still there, and I think schools, including Utah, got to try to get back to that a lot more and help their athletes connect. On top of what we had already talked about with the house settlement money.
Speaker 2: What have been your impressions of Brett Yormark.
Speaker 1: I forgot to ask you this last hit because he signed a contract extension, we had a chance to sit with him big twelve media days. I'm sure we'll have a chance doing that coming up in just a few weeks in Dallas. But whether it's being able to interview him or just kind of sit back and witness the way he's gone about his business, what's your impression of the Big twelve commissioner.
Speaker 8: I've not had a chance to interview him before I left the station last year. I tried and tried and tried. I was never able to connect with it. I'm hoping I'm going to be down to Big twelve media days as well. I'm hoping to get a chance to do that. What I like about brett yor Mark is he's out there and he's not taking a back. I always kind of felt like, until the very very end, where the Pac twelve was fighting for its life, that the past twelve was a lot more reactive versus proactive. And I like the fact that your Mark in a lot of things. Nobody's perfect, but I like the fact that he's a lot more proactive, whether it's with college basketball ideas or marketing the league, or I just I liked when you know, the Big ten was trying to shove a you know, all those automatic bids down everybody's throat for the college football playoff. I've never understood that, Spence. Why why do we give multiple automatic bids for all these different like we don't do the college basketball Tournament's what we all love. You get one automatic bid is a conference champion, then everything else is up in the air.
Speaker 6: I never understood.
Speaker 8: I love the five to eleven matchup where every conference champion the five big conferences or the four and then the one get an automatic bid. Then there's eleven at largest. You're trying to get the best teams in there. And I liked what your Mark said about that is, you know, if you're having a good year, then you deserve it. If you're not, why should you get more automatic bids? You actually deserve so round about way to say what you said, it's still a small sample size. I'd like to get a chance to talk with him. But from afar, I think Utah being in the Big twelve, and your Marcus a commissioner, has been has been positive reports today.
Speaker 1: More conference alignment on the way, it doesn't really affect Utah are the Big twelve, you know, and this is another deal. I've just become resigned to the fact that we are going to have to deal with stuff like this, probably in perpetuity, and there will be appeals to lawsuits that have been settled, and it's just the lawyers are just going to get rich and we're all going to sit back and wait for Saturdays in the fall.
Speaker 2: But before we get to basketball and we'll end with some hoops.
Speaker 1: Are you still in a space where you believe college football eventually will mirror the NFL? Or do you think it's kind of be what it is and we're just going to continue to see lawsuits filed here and appeals filed there, and we're just going to kind of have to deal with the chaos, you know, kind of moving forward.
Speaker 8: It feels like we're trending toward the Super League, and I think whatever that's super league happens to be, whether it's thirty, forty fifty or sixty teams, I think that's set up because I think it's going to be separate from everything else. Again, this is just me hypothesizing. I think that will be an NFL type model. It will be either a pro type model to it, whether it's wildcards or conference champions or whatever it is. I think when the day comes, whether it's three years, five years, or ten years from now, when college football does eventually go to that super league, I think it's going to have very much a pro and kind of an NFL feel to it. I don't know what happens with the rest of it. I don't know what happens with basketball at that point, if conferences are still a thing for everything but football. But my sense is on the football side of it, we're trending toward the Super League at some point, and I think that will have a bit more of a pro model to it all.
Speaker 1: Right before I said, you lose summer practice going on for the basketball team and the roster has been compared he did with a German guard. I believe it's Jacob Patrick. That doesn't sound like a German player, but there you go. So I don't know if you've got a chance to witness any of the practices. We had al on a couple of weeks ago, and we kind of got to know some of these new players. But just your thoughts on and also realistic expectations you're one in the big twelve for this roster and this new coaching staph Anie information on the new basketball team led by former you and Alex Jensen.
Speaker 8: I think if you want to make it sound more German, you go with Yakob, there we go, there we go, and that'll make it feel more. I've seen them working out a little bit. I've seen a little bit of open gym. Here's what I think. I think that they have gone with the upgraded athletic get after it model, kind of a just talking with Alex and you've talked to him too, I just get the sense they're building this foundation and they want to really get after it defensively and they want to get out and run. And I think they've gone out and I fight guys that fit with where they're at. With all of that, I don't have any idea yet. I want to see him kind of on the floor a little bit more together. But you know, I've said it before and I'll say it again. When you're at the University of Utah, your expectation should always be competing for an NCAA tournament Berth. I know that they've turned the roster over, but I think if you're at Utah, with the resources Utah has, I think that you should be able to at least compete for an nc doll. I'm not saying it'll happen in year one with twelve new faces. But we've seen that happen in other places around the country. But I think they should certainly be competitive and be in the conversation. You know, you want Lenardi talking about you, at least if that makes sense, sometime in February and March.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 1: All right, Ral, I'll let you go so you can go into the rabbit hole of Jericho Road's greatest hits.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: It will put you in such a bad mood, but I appreciate the time matter.
Speaker 8: I believe you did that. By the way, how long were you in the rabbit hole?
Speaker 1: I watch four I have Jericho wrote videos and I just hated myself afterwards, so I would not take you back it did.
Speaker 2: By the way, how did that become a thing on our show? I honestly don't remember.
Speaker 8: It may have been a Shep thing, Okay, he may have brought it up. We may have been talking about boy bands. You and I may have been something, you know, It might have been a Nikolach ninety eight degrees reference, and then Shep may have injected all have you guys heard about the Utah County version of ninety eight degrees, and you and I would have gone, what are you talking about? And then he would have introduced Jericho Road to us.
Speaker 1: That sounds right, or you were expressing your admiration for Louke Pearlman. I cannot remember which one it was, Bill, see you, buddy, Bill Riley, Voice of the Utes. You know it's weird when you do a radio show with somebody for a number of years, how odd like inside jokes emerged. I honestly don't remember how Jericho Road became a thing on the show I did with Bill for oh, I don't know, six years whatever that was. Our producer was a young man who is named Jason Sheppard who works for BYU TV. Sweet guy, very. I'll just say he's working where he should be working, and I'll leave I'll leave it at that. I don't I don't remember if Shep was the one that brought up Jericho Roade. All I know is last week after one of the shows, I'm home decompressing and Ryles texts me like, Hey, what I'm on the show next?
Speaker 2: Bringing me in with some Jericho wrote.
Speaker 1: Jericho Wroade is a Mormon boy band. I don't know how else to articulate it. So when it was like in sync Backstreet Boys ninety eight degrees, the boy band thing was everywhere. A bunch of bros down in Provo decided to start their own boy band, and the videos that they made are exactly what you would expect, I guess is how I'll put that. You know, And they do have a member that looks like Tony Jones. I don't know, have you watched any of the videos since Bill brought this up?
Speaker 4: I haven't, but I do remember a little bit of this, this inside joke before, so I've looked him up before. There is Yeah, there's a guy that looks a bit like Tony.
Speaker 1: And at this point, have you been able to learn whether or not they're still doing it? Are there still standing?
Speaker 3: I mean there?
Speaker 1: Oh, there can't be anything more awkward than a boy band when every members in there like mid to late forties.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, can you call that a boy band?
Speaker 2: A man band, a middle aged man band? At that point?
Speaker 4: Jericho Roads last, let's see their last release, Spence with It looks like twenty ten.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you know they did the thing for a while, and uh, good for them, for you know, pursuing their dream. So we'll end the show some Jericho road. I don't know how that lands with you, I'll but there you go. All right, fun show ton going on. Don't forget NBA Draft right around the corner. We're gonna have a bunch of coverage, few guys, a lot of rumors surrounding the Utah Jazz, NHL Stanley Cup playoffs resoomed tomorrow for the Battle of Lord for your Lord Stanley's Cup. But the NBA Finals coming way coming up on the other side, Porter tomorrow, are we talking about oka Ce up three two or Indiana up three two?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 4: You know my my brain is telling me, okay, see, it's the better team, it's the better roster. I love the way Indiana's fighting, man, And I think that now that we're here, we're at a best of three scenario. I really do think that this is as close to a toss up as you could have asked for if you're the Indiana Pacers coming into the series. Now, I know that Vegas is saying it's still okay, see a heavy favorite, But man, I give Tyrese Haliburton and the Pacers a big chance tonight and hell for the sake of the show. I'll go, I'll go Indiana, all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, there you go, all right, we will say good night. Coming up on the other side, it is time for Game five of the NBA Files between the Pacers and the Thunder.
Speaker 2: The Thunder are a nine point five point favorite.
Speaker 6: Porter.
Speaker 1: What comes our way on a Tuesday edition of the show.
Speaker 4: On a Tuesday edition of The Drive, Well, well, it'll be Tony Parks and I in the saddle. So we'll recap of course NBA Finals action, Indiana and Oka. See tonight, we'll look ahead to the NHL Stanley Cup and talk some offseason football, baseball, whatever comes along with Tony and I. Stevenson Sylvester seventy four days from Utah football, Tim McMahon of course for the NBA Daily Assist, Bell Fraser will stop by and like I said, Tony Parks will be in with myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, give Tony and Porter your ears tomorrow. I'll be back on a Wednesday show. We'll say good night and special thank you today to Kurt Schmidt, Tom Haberstrow, Richard Smith, and Bill Riley for any of the sound you may have missed from the show today. Go to the website, which is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Download our mobile app and take us on the go. The ESPN seven hundred app is available in the App Store on the Google Play Store. Then, finally, for what we do in our space every afternoon, check out our podcast page where you can dig through all of the content then decide which portion of it you want to listen to on your time. Don't want to talk Utah, Okay, don't want to talk by U Jazz RSL. You get a pick whatever you want to listen to on our podcast page. It's awesome. It's called The Drive with Spence. Check its It's available wherever you get your shows. Subscribe, grate reviews, Sandaice things in the comments, give us all the stars for Portram Spence saying to I enjoy your Monday evening. NBA Finals Game five coming up on the other side right here on ESPN seven hundred and ninety two. NFM proud to be part of Utah's ESPN Radio network.