Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming. Then I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of February tenth, we're continuing with Lost season two, episode eight, Collision, which turned out to be kind of a more dramatic title than the episode actually delivered on right particularly hard. Everybody understood that that it was a shooting, Shannon was an accident, and once Sayid calmed down, everybody understood, and so they just sort of was more like an infiltration. Small groups of the tail section met with small groups of the mid section folks, and.
Speaker 2: Then we got the the romance novel ending of running to each other across the sand, both Rose and Bernard and Jin and Son.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna call that that ending part the ah Montage. First we had Awe Sawyer and Kate, and then Ah Vincent and Michael carrying Shannon's dead body, and Ana Lucia. It was super fortunate that Jack watch the previous lease for this episode all everything that has happened. He remembers her name efficiently that when it is said, he kind of prooks up and says, well, she looks like Kate and swear or hooking up. Maybe I have a chance, girl, show me where is she? Where is she? It's that okay, just.
Speaker 2: That whole like them staring at each other in the jungle. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, what you guys spent like five minutes together in a bar. It's not like you used to be married, right, But I will allow it just to move things along, right, Let's go, let's go, let's go, Come on, come on, trusting and you were suspicious about the lengthiness of the pause. After Aunt Lucia was asked if she had any kids, yes, being meaningful. It happened again here, you know, she did somebody asked her something in this one also, and there was a lot pause, right, And so finally we get the reason for it, which is that she was shot in a police She was a police officer. She was shot and she was pregnant. Yes, And it's like, do we know her well enough to really care? At that this pointment, it seemed like not a lot of payoff for killing a baby, because Okay, I mean, she's already a disaster. We can already see that she has a lost soul and if nothing else anger management issues, they needed that too, right? Did they need that too? Think they need that? Maybe it pays off somewhere later, but it just seemed like, eh, what else can we do? What else can we?
Speaker 2: Oh? I know, right right here we go.
Speaker 1: Certainly she could have been she could have killed the guy because he shot her up and presumably she had a long recuperation. They could have just played that up. Maybe he killed her partner or something like that. I don't think we needed to have the baby angle. But yeah, I honestly can't remember if it pays off, but I sort of presented that right.
Speaker 2: And just because because you know you had him right there. Yeah, like wasn't sending him to jail, Like they made it clear that all it was going to take was her saying, yeah, that's him.
Speaker 1: And well, I guess from her point of view, stuff happens and people get off and she wanted to make sure that his sentence was carried out swiftly.
Speaker 2: And then I guess she's like, I'm off to Australia. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I suppose some of those things will be filled in in the future episodes. I can't honestly remember, but okay, at least it was it was the It was a flashback about some of the somebody different we'll find out about later about who netweek's flashback is about.
Speaker 2: And I think we can tell from the title of the episode.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting to find out about new people. But Kate, what's the deal with Kate?
Speaker 2: Remember Kate?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know about as much of the deal of Kate that I want to know. But okay, whatever, there's more, there's more for you. It's like you're going to bring a new chicken here. I need another storyline, come on us.
Speaker 2: Well, what they did have from Anna and Lucia.
Speaker 1: Two women one what is it they used to do the extra hot great people to two actors one part or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember. But well, if you're having some sort of parallels, I mean there's many parallels. But uh, Kate has a mommy issue, which we know about. Yes, and Ana Lucia obviously does too, because mom is not just her mom, she's her boss YEPS, the captain of the police department or whatever piece of it that Alicia works for.
Speaker 1: So right, yeah, yeah, there's gonna be trouble between them too, I think, or else they will be fast friends. I can't remember which one, but.
Speaker 2: Kate and Alicia.
Speaker 1: Kate and Alicia. Yeah, but they do sort of have the same vibe. Yes, I wonder if Anilucia has an airplane somewhere in her.
Speaker 2: Hers is a little toy police car.
Speaker 1: Yes, there you go. It's a little matchbox car. Yes, we're a little baby toy of some sort. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well you started off by saying, how you know it was not so much a collision of just a you know, a light tap, but you know the scene of Locke encountering mister Echo for the first time, just like that, you be sir. They both were just like, hmm, I wonder how this is gonna go.
Speaker 1: So, so you're there, oddball, huh, okay, all right, nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 1: Looks like the kind of guy who would just stopped talking for forty days.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, yeah, yep, I can definitely see that everybody would cheer.
Speaker 1: But okay, yeah, so that's it's going to be interesting to see how everybody, uh, everybody infiltrates here. But it was not as dramatic a thing as I had expected, which is just fine from a parenting point of view. Yes, we may have talked about this a little bit last week. I can't remember if she was just on this particular note, but on a Lucia she shot somebody, she's tied somebody else up. There's gonna be trouble. But she's like, I know what I'm doing. I know what I'm doing. It's like, oh, I have said that, that's a that's a mom thing. Things look really bad right now, but I'm on top of it. I got in you know, don't question me feeling when you know you're going the wrong way, but you're committed, right, so you know, what can you do? People are believing in you. You gotta sell it and when everybody is pretty sure that you are completely in over your.
Speaker 3: Head, which was also nope, nope it going back to Kate, you know, I mean that's kind of how she was when she was like, oh, I can get sway to swallow this pill, Like.
Speaker 2: Like, how did she know that she could do that? You know?
Speaker 1: And also therefore she gives all the guys their pills.
Speaker 2: They made it seem like, clearly you can't. He can't just instantly recover from one dose of antibiotics, Like he's got to be on that stuff for ten days, right, Like, yeah, is she gonna do this? Well?
Speaker 1: I think that's like Jack is like, well, I gotta get out. Here is any other ladies around?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: I remember you.
Speaker 2: I feel like Sawyer is definitely gonna be like, well, where's Kate. I can't take my medicine without her?
Speaker 1: I need my snuggles exactly. Mom. Oh yeah, do you have any secrets for getting kids to swallow pills? I was thinking about that while I was watching that. How does one do that? I mean, the dog, I've pretty got pretty much got the dog to take her pill. I have to act like it's the most delicious thing in the world. Right, and like maybe I'm gonna eat it for her, right, And then she suddenly wants it like crazy. Putting it in peanut butter was not sufficient. She would look off the peanut butter and spit out the pill. Oh see that's so yum, wonderful human food. I'm gonna eat this.
Speaker 2: Oops.
Speaker 1: I dropped it on the floor. All over that that happened.
Speaker 2: No, I think my kids were pretty okay about it. I do remember when my daughter had her appendix out and she was in the hospital for like two weeks and she had to you know, they were always poking her for medicines or ivy or whatever, blood tests, and at the second hospital, at the one, the local one, every time they poked her with a needle, they would give her either a beanie baby or a Webkin's toy. And so by the time, yeah, the collection was significant.
Speaker 1: And at some point the kid starts looking for the needle and going shot shot shut.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't give me that, give me that. But I don't think they have I don't think they had beanie babies in the hatch. Do they know? If you call that thing?
Speaker 1: Though they seem to have quite a lot of they may just open another door and find oh, babies over here.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: It was so weird to me when they when they were bringing Sawyer in and they brought him down to the hatch, I'm like, oh, right, they have a place to go now, right, they just bring him to the beach. I thought everybody was gonna see him.
Speaker 2: But no, they have an indoors now.
Speaker 1: Oh that's gonna freak him out.
Speaker 2: Where What exactly happened while I was gone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, indeed, yep. There was a scene where Annac was coming back to work and they called her to go to a certain room, and you know, of course that there's going to be a party without even having the mother and character having to tell you they made you, they got you a cake. Try to act surprised. I feel like I've done that with my kids. It's like it's just a lot to keep something from them or and also because you can't necessarily expect them to have the reaction that you want them to have. Yeah, So it's like, if it's a surprise party, you have to look surprised. If it's you know, friends over, you have to look happy. If it's if it's relatives, you have to go hug everybody. Let's let's just run this down, shall we? Right here, there's a lot of surprises here in our house. They're gonna expect you to be surprised. But I would like to just run down the let's run through this. Let's practice. Shall we practice?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's hard, you don't. You can't really practice for the whole like tail Section survivors, Yes, there.
Speaker 1: Was no If they'd known, they could have made a cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Is there like some dorma cake mix? Is there some cake cans of in the hatch?
Speaker 2: You know that frosting keeps forever and.
Speaker 1: Ever dharma frosting from the fifties, as long as the seal hasn't been broken. You're good.
Speaker 2: You are good for it.
Speaker 1: I bet Rose could figure out how to make a cake.
Speaker 2: She's resourceful, that one is. She is.
Speaker 1: Her faith in Bernard still being alive was proven to not be ridiculous. Yeah, good day for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Are they gonna go back to her and be like, okay, now, can you tell us some more about what is going on here?
Speaker 1: And yeah? Yeah, somehow?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: That was long awaited. I was just basically waiting through this whole episode for I kept thinking isn't Bernard at some point just gonna say, you know what, I'm leaving. I want to go find my wife.
Speaker 2: Right at this point, I'm we're like twenty minutes away. I've had enough.
Speaker 1: It's like, how long is he gonna sit there and watch her to decide what she's gonna do and not just like seep into the bush like Homer Simpson disappearing into his head exactly, because yeah, come on, he's been waiting quite some time for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When they were having the scene on the beach where everybody was, you knew they wanted to pace out the reunions so each one could get its aw. But this required Son to be like washing some laundry. Why, like three or four reunions are going on, and the large number of people had joined the company, and she's still that's stained, still here.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to ask Rose how to get this.
Speaker 1: Out so that she can she can have just turned just as Jin is running to her right.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Ah, you know, I would think that she would be hyper alert to anybody coming out of the jump because at this point she saw Michael.
Speaker 2: She saw Michael exactly, So she's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be standing there at the end of that jungle, going jin where are you? But no, you know, she wanted to make sure that her clothing were clean. Was c I think what's clean? When he got let me just finish up this laundry before my husband comes back.
Speaker 2: I leave. She found her ring.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh boy, yeah, that would have been a problem. It was kind of nice, that kind of sweet when Vincent came out to greet Michael. But you also know that Vincent is going to be going.
Speaker 2: So where's what?
Speaker 1: Where's what? Running back and forth jungle and back and forth and back and forth until Michael is just weeping, and you know.
Speaker 2: Yes, because everyone else got these reunions, but Michael did not.
Speaker 1: Michael didn't. Michael got his son's dog basically, which is better than nothing.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: Sure, but not the reunion he would like it was. It was a nice, uh little shuffling of chest pieces to get everybody together now so that we move forward into more absolutely nuts storylines.
Speaker 2: Can't wait because we still have others out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes we do. And I don't think Libby has yet revealed what her profession is, right because the line is warm yeah left, Yes, she's got to set up her little lucy booth on the beach, you know, psychiatric help. One coconut and come on, and she's gonna have to raise her raids a whole fish or something, that's right. Yeah, yeah, oh man, well she's not gonna be hurting for work, busy lady. So next week, as previously spoiled a little bit, I just I just can't with this. Next Tuesday we will continue with season two at the so nine have lost what Kate did? I don't care.
Speaker 2: And also I don't really believe you that you're going to spill it all at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like these people like contractually obligated to get X number of episodes about themselves in the course of the season. We just have two of them about people we haven't met yet. Could we have a mister Echo episode before we get a Kate episode. Kate's already had like three four They can wait another week?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh well, you know what, there's lots of time. There's all kinds of time. Nobody's getting off that island anytime very soon. So we will just wait with baited breath to see what did Kate do? What do you think she did? What did she do?
Speaker 2: And did she get that little plane back.
Speaker 1: How did you learn how to give pills to adult patients? Was she a nurse?
Speaker 3: Oh boy?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, don't wants to know what Kate did as well?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did involve a dog treat of some sweet Did she take a dog for a walk?
Speaker 2: Possible?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we will see you back here tomorrow discuss a man on the inside. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.