Speaker 1: And now for our weekly visit with a good doctor Watson. Let's see if he's waiting for us. Good evening, mister, oh, good evening, doctor plang a phonograph.
Speaker 2: I see, yes, my boy, that particular millennires some very potent memories for me. Here, I'll turn the thing off. You haven't come here to listen to Moat. You want a story, don't you, young?
Speaker 1: That's right, doctor, Well, let's sit down, all right, patter, Now.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what thank you doctory again in Vienna in eighteen hundred and eighty nine, many many years before, the insane house painter named schickel Gruber had converted that case city into a place of fear and of pression.
Speaker 1: And what were you and Sherlock Holmes doing there, doctor?
Speaker 2: Just taking a trip, mister Forman. In those early days of our association, we didn't have the time, all the money for the taking trips. No, no, no. We were in Vienna because Holmes had been engaged in certain highly important investigations. We were staying in a charming person inhabited by students and musicians. And on the night the story began, we'd finished dinner and had returned to our room. I was busy making some notes on the investigation we just included, and Holmes was scraping away at his beloved violin.
Speaker 3: That's wrong. Why can't I get it?
Speaker 2: Pretty?
Speaker 4: To me?
Speaker 5: Pretty? Really old chapter?
Speaker 3: A hippy fingered one of the listen to this sounds like a fiddler anolish.
Speaker 2: Wake take it easy, homes did. There's no need to fling the violin down like.
Speaker 3: That's not old, chap Why with all your other excellent qualities, are you not a pianist?
Speaker 2: What's a piano you going to do with it?
Speaker 3: In this case? Everything is a piano in this room. And if you could play it and not that so not that I'm struggling with, might have some meaning. Come in, oh living to see me?
Speaker 6: You are?
Speaker 3: That is my name?
Speaker 6: Then I wish to see you. I'm Leo Ustein. I live here on this consume.
Speaker 5: How do you do?
Speaker 4: This?
Speaker 3: Is my friend, Doctor Watson.
Speaker 4: How do you do?
Speaker 2: Hea?
Speaker 3: Doctor Ullenstein? May I pay my tribute to the brilliant.
Speaker 5: If you're piano.
Speaker 3: Playing, you have the exact precision of praising that that demands, Doctor Watson, and I with Christmas the command performance you gave it the Imperial Court a fortnight a girl.
Speaker 2: Hey juya, so I knew I had seen you somewhere before. My friend was just expressing the need of a pianist as you walked in, Young lady. Perhaps I'm trying.
Speaker 6: I do not play the amateur.
Speaker 4: Mean to be.
Speaker 2: Who is just that?
Speaker 6: My life is dedicated to my professional understand for line and.
Speaker 3: Now, please tell me what can I do to help you. I'm a presume you will come to see me in my professional capacity.
Speaker 6: That is correct, heir Homes, So I realized you a great detective like you. My problem must seem quite trivial. I I am being blackmailed by a man in the sponsible He is Shando, our pardier Hungarian painter who lived in the studio upstairs. I've heard of him since two months now. Ever, since you know my secret, he's come to me for money, and today he telled me he must have two hundred and fifty goods or he will go to the police. I have not that much money, hair Homes. Please to tell me what I shall do.
Speaker 5: Just what hold does he have of you?
Speaker 6: My brother Karl he got into some trouble. He and the police were looking for him, but he ran away to munch as you say Munich. Him thunder our party knew of this. He was a friend of mine. Thought, when this trouble come on my body, I turned to Shandor for help, which mother call out of the country, and he turned on me for.
Speaker 2: Black A fat man.
Speaker 3: First, black failures A cowards at hand, I think doctor Watson and I will call on the gentlemen. By the way, does he have any written evidence of your brother's crime?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he has this address in Munich. Show Shandor a letter from him when he first go there, and keep the letter.
Speaker 4: Do not give it back to him.
Speaker 2: If he gave the police your brother's address at the rest of her they would of course.
Speaker 6: Hair Homes, Will you please to tell me what I should do? I cannot go on to say my music.
Speaker 3: I shall be most happy to help you, and if you will lead the way, we'll see how persuasive we can be with Shandor a padi.
Speaker 6: This is studio Hairhomes at the end of the corridor.
Speaker 3: I see, I remember a young lady. You better let me do most of the talking.
Speaker 2: He must be out, that's as possible. Locked.
Speaker 3: I think bearning a mind out on his profession will take the liberty of opening his door.
Speaker 2: Looking a very complicated lot for me, and.
Speaker 3: I think this skeleton key will do the trick.
Speaker 6: Very dangerous hair homes.
Speaker 2: It's shun no, no, no, no, don't you worry about that product. We're perfectly capable of taking care of our souls.
Speaker 3: Ah there we are, close the door behind you, Will Watson, I.
Speaker 2: Don't see a thing. I'll strike a match.
Speaker 5: Oh God, look at him.
Speaker 3: Stober his death the gas, Willy Watson, I try hope are judging from his appearance for a line, Fullenstein. I think Sandor Party had other enemies besides yourself less scrupulous enemies.
Speaker 2: He's been strangled because the finger marks on his throat is he yes, but it is too warm. Though I'm afraid he's dead.
Speaker 4: I am glad.
Speaker 6: That's a bad man deserved to that.
Speaker 3: Watson. You notice the fingers of the killer, broken the skin and drawn blood.
Speaker 6: We should he not communicate with the police before we do that?
Speaker 3: For line, we may see if we can find you a brother's letter. Help move the body, Will you Watson? Lying across an open dispatch box that might contain the document in question, Go on.
Speaker 5: That's it a.
Speaker 3: Mhm, but a painter the late mister that party was an unusually methodical man. Everything filed here in alphabetical order. You know, we are you fall line, they are Wullenstein and the letter has the Munichue postmark. I think this must be the document in question when you examine it, please for all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, this is the letter here, Holmes. How can I thank you?
Speaker 3: It's very little thankful for it's the blackmailer are still alive. I feel it wouldn't have been so simple a matter. I wonder what other treasures this box contains? Hello, Hello, what is it?
Speaker 2: All? Interesting?
Speaker 3: Extremely interesting.
Speaker 2: Information on the case that we've just been working out.
Speaker 3: From the names attached to the document, I think we may assume that the dead man did not confine his blackmailing to struggling young pianists. He was after big game tools.
Speaker 2: We'd better be careful, homes. I don't think that we should go for the police just yet.
Speaker 3: No, we will start by having a little talk with the other residents of this pon who lives in the room adjoining this one. I too here and the room across the landing.
Speaker 6: L Kung Fo, the guy Chinese actor. He's performing here on Vienna.
Speaker 3: I see them I think we'll start by calling on him. Return to your room, forelign, and we will let you know later what we've found. In the meantime, saying nothing to anyone of.
Speaker 6: What has happened, do everything you tell me. Please once again, please let me thank you for what you've done for.
Speaker 2: You know, Holmes, I'm not sure that girl didn't strangle a fundy, yourself a pianist. We have unusual strength of her fingers, and we know that she had the motive. Look how naturally calm she was when she realized the man who was dead and discreet what he was alone.
Speaker 3: I think what you refer to was unnatural calmness is really the cold attachment of the true water.
Speaker 2: Well, I have a feeling we should keep an eye on her, just to say.
Speaker 5: We were watching.
Speaker 3: We will. And now I suggest, with their visit across the landing to the distinguished Chinese actor, mist A lying to fold you wish to see me if you could spare some moments then, But of course, gentlemen, please do come in. My name is Shark Holmes. This is my colleague, doctor Watson.
Speaker 4: I am greatly part to Mitchell. You are not here to see me in your professional capacity. I hope stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh no, not exactly. I just wanted to ask you a few questions.
Speaker 2: Please to ask me anything.
Speaker 3: Do you know Shandor Paddy the paint Huo lives across the hall.
Speaker 4: I know him by sight that we not do each other on the stairs.
Speaker 3: Nothing more I see. Have you been in your rooms evening?
Speaker 5: May I ask? But yes, I have.
Speaker 4: Been sitting here quietly for the past few hours, reading over the analecs of Canus?
Speaker 2: May asked, Will you heard any unusual noises this evening, sounds of struggle or a cry from the direction of sandor party's room, Prince, I do not think so.
Speaker 4: Wait, yes, yes, I think I did hear least voices in there, and the sound.
Speaker 5: Of a cry.
Speaker 3: But how long ago was this? Perhaps?
Speaker 4: More?
Speaker 5: Is anything wrong?
Speaker 3: Has a love will come to Chandor Dandor? I thought you said you would only a nodding acquaintance with the gentleman.
Speaker 4: Well, he is a well known artist. It is only natural I should call him by his first's name, mister Holmes, even though I do not know him. Has something happened to him?
Speaker 3: I'm afraid so, But I can't tell you any more about it.
Speaker 5: At the moment.
Speaker 3: Thank you for your cooperation. We will see you again. No dud believing sir, What do.
Speaker 7: You think.
Speaker 2: Foll I wasn't telling us the truth? You know? Home he seemed very shifted to me.
Speaker 3: We were going downstairs to the potter's desk. Any one entrance to this answer will remember the porter may be able to tell us of any unusual comings and goings in the last hour or two. Come on, old chap, don't doddle. It's a great deal of work ahead of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, here hopes.
Speaker 5: What can I do for you?
Speaker 3: How long have you been on dury tonight?
Speaker 2: Since five o'clock?
Speaker 3: You notice what people have come in or gone out since then? No Fune has gone out splendid And who came in?
Speaker 4: Foil and Unstein came in just after six and the upperdeed the painter have come in a few minutes later.
Speaker 3: Who lives in the other ground floor apartments besides Dr Watson and myself The only.
Speaker 4: Two other apartments in the one to the right of the court that lives Madame Jansen, she's a Seedish lady. And sculptors and the Milan Signora Violetti, the Italian Oars.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, thank you very much. I'm much obliged to you. I'm happy to be of service her home.
Speaker 2: Were we off to now back to our room.
Speaker 3: We'll call on let him be a LETTI if she's at home.
Speaker 2: Sounds as if she's very much at home.
Speaker 8: Yours geral l com that need a friend ever come to see me? Vo rubbish sim I have so much wish to make it acquaint and listen, I'm appropriate.
Speaker 2: We can understand for a moment, Matem, I felt want to ask you question.
Speaker 3: I just want to I know your question.
Speaker 6: You played the violina.
Speaker 5: I have heard you.
Speaker 7: You want to know whether the great Valaria will allow you to a company. Are in the magnificent soprano Aria?
Speaker 5: Halloo?
Speaker 7: So from a Mozart le float to my Chico? Do you let this answer to your question?
Speaker 3: See if you don't mind me? Was not one of my questions.
Speaker 2: You not, but I will seeing it with you.
Speaker 3: Jose this day you got me, But then at the moment there are other things on my mind. You're at Do you know Sadi.
Speaker 7: Boy sighed that he does even guys at me, But I don't pay attention. I didn't even like angan.
Speaker 3: You haven't seen in the evening, I've been alone.
Speaker 7: A reviewing the score. I have to see the next week here in Vianna. I hope you will both to be president.
Speaker 4: It would be a great tree.
Speaker 2: Sat you must have gor to stone.
Speaker 8: But come and see me again, and I will sing for your port before your Naghborana.
Speaker 2: It's got the woman. She's not your murders, I'm sure. And now I suppose we'll have to question this stothless woman, and then we'll have talked to everyone in the house.
Speaker 3: Now, I think before we visit her, and we'll examine the dead man's room a little walk closely. They're black in the statch box may hold the keys of this mystery.
Speaker 2: Scarpapers they tell an interesting story. A party had obviously been blackmailing Madame Jansen's the sculpture.
Speaker 3: Yes, and also our friend, the Chinese actor Lating Foe, and.
Speaker 2: Lating Foe was lying when he said that he didn't know said by George Field of poor people living in this house in his pall.
Speaker 3: That's a matter what I found in the scar ash on the carpet, Principal, a small foot leading us to this closet.
Speaker 2: But they must have been hiding in.
Speaker 5: The possibly.
Speaker 3: Take a look at these Watson.
Speaker 2: And the hair, long black hair, Where were they?
Speaker 3: I'm a hook in the cupboard, and one bracing themselves back so as to be out of sight, could easily leave such evidence.
Speaker 5: I've got it home, I've got it.
Speaker 2: The long black hair, the long nails that caused the peculiar mouf, and the party's throat and the small footprint.
Speaker 3: It was woman, possibly, but which one? Caroline Pullenstein and Signora Fiolett him both have blonde hair, remember, and it must be that stop us one, not necessarily?
Speaker 2: Who else?
Speaker 3: Not a woman might have small feet, long nails, and long black hair.
Speaker 2: By joby Chinese accessly.
Speaker 5: Come on, I hope he's too uh, I come on, let's go in.
Speaker 2: Look at him. He's praying.
Speaker 5: His head's in his head.
Speaker 3: Oh my dear fellow, I'm afraid prayers can do him no good. Now he's been strangled, strangled with his own chow.
Speaker 1: Doctor Watson's story will continue in just a second, So I'm gonna take that second.
Speaker 3: For a fast question.
Speaker 1: I know you've probably tasted port wine, but have you ever tasted Petree California port?
Speaker 2: Have you?
Speaker 1: Because if you haven't tried pet Report. Well, you can just tell yourself right now. You don't know how good a port can be. Pet Report is rich, red and hearty. But what you want to know is how does it taste. The answer to that is short and sweet. The taste is terrific. And say Petrick, California Muscatel is on the terrific side too. Petrie Musketell has the flavor and fragrance of real juicy muscat grape. Both wines are perfect after dinner or anytime you're sitting around talking with your friends.
Speaker 2: Try them. They're great.
Speaker 1: They've got to be because they're Petree. And now back to tonight's you Sherlock Holmes. The famous pair are staying in Vienna, where they've become involved in the mysterious strangling of a notorious blackmailer. As we rejoin our story, Sherlock Holmes and doctor Watson are cost questioning another of the suspects, a Swedish sculptress by the.
Speaker 8: Name of Madame John.
Speaker 3: What do you want with me?
Speaker 4: Why have you come in here?
Speaker 2: We just wanted to ask you a few questions, Madam with my figurines?
Speaker 3: May I ask you always working?
Speaker 2: Play?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But what's that to you?
Speaker 6: Do you wish to buy some of my sculptors?
Speaker 3: No, but I assure you the question was pertinent.
Speaker 7: Tell me who you are and stop fasting my time.
Speaker 2: My friend is a private detective, madam, a detective. Who ain't you here?
Speaker 3: No one sent me here. I'm conducting an investigation of the murder of schandor of Paddi and.
Speaker 6: Did Good and Jack.
Speaker 2: Yes, madam, but we happen to know that you had a motive for killing him. He's been blackmailing you. Get out of here.
Speaker 7: What light have you to come here?
Speaker 2: In question? No? No, no, no, look here, madam. If you know what's good for you, you will ask.
Speaker 5: So can you know what's good for you?
Speaker 6: You'll get out of here.
Speaker 3: Both mine, Watson, But Homes you can't part give in, madam, for our intrusion, We've meant no rudeness.
Speaker 7: You have been read intolerance.
Speaker 3: We real go away.
Speaker 2: We never made you back down like that. Homes. Obviously she's the killer.
Speaker 3: But the hair with chuck black, Yes, short hair, and didn't you notice the size of our feet?
Speaker 5: Anyway?
Speaker 3: She works in play but novel. I might have suspected her.
Speaker 2: Home, so should tell me what you're driving out of the.
Speaker 3: Answer to these killings now, Watson.
Speaker 5: But I'll have to prove it.
Speaker 3: I'm said, I must work with I to old Chap. If you mind waiting for me in our room.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, wait a.
Speaker 3: Minute, wait a minute, that may be dangerous. Wait for me and Senora. Your letter is wrong. If you mind, I'll join you there as soon as my work is done. Pretend that you have returned because you were so enchanted with her voice got home.
Speaker 2: You don't ask me to be alone with that woman.
Speaker 3: Do as I say, Watson, and don't question me. Isn't a moment to be lost of different?
Speaker 7: Of course you know that Aria, my dear doctor.
Speaker 2: No matter, ma'm.
Speaker 4: You're not about great Hutt.
Speaker 2: Course, But I can't identify its work.
Speaker 7: That was left, so you're still in mad at all? Tell me your favorite composer.
Speaker 6: I will you sing something with just for you.
Speaker 7: I will pull the gas light down.
Speaker 3: And that will be so much more a monthing.
Speaker 7: No, oh, is your favorite composed?
Speaker 2: Haven't? What's your name? Warns?
Speaker 7: There is a heavy like a master German composers, not the theolactic, and a musterream.
Speaker 2: Oh here she goes again?
Speaker 4: Come in.
Speaker 7: Cone of the street is come into the lie.
Speaker 2: Chinese act.
Speaker 3: I am sorry to make commotions, but as we say in my country, those for return from craves, secrets, double knowledge.
Speaker 4: Oh you're devil, you devil, I kill you.
Speaker 2: On thank you one.
Speaker 3: Confession, senor, you can justify it to it. Watch some homes, are you're not general.
Speaker 2: My liking? Yeah, she's painted home.
Speaker 3: Painted, eh, but an undramatic exit for a most dramatic lady.
Speaker 2: Well homes. Now that you've tell Senora Violetti over to the police, perhaps you tell me what made you certain.
Speaker 4: That she was.
Speaker 3: It was obvious from the beginning that a party was strangled by someone with long fingernails the night on four was killed at ruled him Mountains. Then who was the woman with a motive and long nails? And I mentioned, my dear fellow, was the woman falling Ollenstein? Know being a conci pianist, her nails were naturally shot the sculptists who worked in clay.
Speaker 2: Again, no, that would make.
Speaker 3: It impossible for her to mold her delicate figurines. Therefore, Signoletti, by the process of elimination, was the only woman with long nails.
Speaker 2: Why did she stragle the Chinese actors too?
Speaker 3: And doubted that he witnessed the first kill. The long black hairs in the closet were from his cue, and I presumed that later he threatens Senora Yalette, and so he himself was strangled.
Speaker 2: I still don't understand why she stangled up, partly in the first place.
Speaker 3: You want more, I think you'll find that been backmailing her tool. Remember, he had documents incriminating everyone in the house except her, and I think we may assume she killed him and then removed her own papers from the dispatch box.
Speaker 5: But I know proof and so well.
Speaker 3: I had to frighten her into confession.
Speaker 2: So that's why you disguise yourself as I tung Fu.
Speaker 3: Yes, I borrowed the robes from his room. Lucky that the lights below as I entered. Yes, And it's also fortunate that to the average European all Chinese look alike, Alan Oh fraulein Urenstein, you were coming in to see you in a few minutes.
Speaker 6: So anxiously is everything all right?
Speaker 3: Well from your point of view, my dear young lady, there's nothing more for you to worry about.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 6: I would like to say you hair homes I I've.
Speaker 5: Done it a little for you.
Speaker 3: But if you really feel that you want me something, perhaps justice once, you wouldn't mind accompanying an amateur. It would be a pleasure. What did you wish me to play in Mota matter? But of course ran that spent.
Speaker 6: You like doctor.
Speaker 2: Very much, very much. In fact, I might say he is my favorite composer. Charming, perfectly charming. I only wish that that all our adventures then, so melodiously tonight.
Speaker 1: Sherlock Holm's Adventure is written by Dennis Green and Anthony Boucher, and is based on an incident in the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle story a case of identity. Mister Rathbone appears to the courtesy of Metro Golden Mayor and mister Bruce to the courtesy of Universal Pictures, where they are now starring in the Sherlock Holmes series