Speaker 1: Good evening from snap Dragon Stadium in beautiful San Diego, California, for this first ever match between Your Sounders and San Diego FC. San Diego come into this game off a pulsating three to two win versus LAFC last week.
Speaker 2: Three goals in the.
Speaker 1: First half provided the cushion they needed to withstand an LAFC fight back, and they currently sit in a very respectable third position in the Western Conference coming into this weekend's games. For Your Sounders, the last few weeks feel like we have been pushing uphill. Injuries, sloppy goals, and an inability to convert chances has stagnated a very promising start to the season. But a very positive second half last week versus San Jose will seek confidence in the team, and coupled with a return of those missing players and the fresh signing of Ryan Kent this week, we are feeling optimistic and excited again. I'm Danny Jackson alongside Brad Evans here in the booth and we'll get to.
Speaker 2: Brad's comments in just a minute, but let's get you the Delta.
Speaker 1: Starting eleven for Brian Schmetzer and for Your Sounders, Stefan Fryan gol at back three of Yemar Reagan and Nuhu a midfield four Alex Roldan on the right, Paul Rothrock on the left, and then Christian Rolldan slides back into the middle alongside Obed Vargas, Jesus Ferrera, Albert Ruzneck. We feel will sit right underneath potentially a Georgie Munungo who will squeeze up in that number nine spot and cause all sorts of havoc for San Diego. They're gonna go to four to three to three Dosantos and gol aback four of Luffel, Send mcveain McNair and Negri Kudoy, Diverse Cough and Della Tory in the midfield and then main man Drea alongside Balakari and then Juki Lozana coming back from an injury where he came off of the bench last week, but he gets a start tonight.
Speaker 2: So, Brad, we talk about must win games.
Speaker 1: The Sounders have kind of spluttered and started their season in a manner which they've had. It happened before. What do they have to do tonight against this new San Diego team.
Speaker 3: Well, they got to put this team under pressure and show them who the Sounders are. Right, anytime I see a fourth, a true four to three three set up, that just tells me that the front three are gonna fly and the rest of them are there to just help support. And they've done that so far this season with San Diego and for the Sounders. When you look at it, I mean it's a flip of the coin, right. If you don't slip in Saint Louis, you might get three points. If you don't have the defensive air in the first game against Charlotte, you might have three points. And so last week against San Jose, if you don't play that ball through the middle, you might end up with three points on the night. So you have to negate all the mistakes. And if the Sounders do that away from home and get just a couple chances, if they play as well as they did in the second half of that San Jose game and really put in a complete ninety minute performance, I think the Sounders find themselves with a good result in three points to take home tonight.
Speaker 1: Well, Sanders getting ready to hopefully get that first win they've had for a little while. They're gonna be in the anniversary create green shirts, Blue shorts and white socks, and San Diego in the all midnight Navy kit of blue shirts, shorts and socks. Three goals in the first half of San Diego last week, they got their first win at home against regional local rival LAFC, but there was a barnstorming first half. Five goals in that first half. Two goals from LAFC in the final five minutes or so got them right back into the game. Made for a nervy second half, but a red card helped and settled in for three valuable points. But one thing, Brad, we know from these teams that create these really amazing atmosphere thirty five thousand people here at Snapdragon. It's been designed for soccer. But what a good addition to this league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what you want. You want the teams coming in with a stacked stadium that is going to be packed right when they come into the league. It's not about sitting in a baseball stadium and then hoping that you get your stadium built. They've done it all the right way and off we go here in San Diego.
Speaker 1: Santio get us going. They're going to be tacking the goal to our left as we look at it.
Speaker 2: Sounders attacking goal to our right.
Speaker 1: The ball gets hooked down the line, headed forward by San Diego, picked up by Della Torre, local San Diego native came back to join the new franchise. This ball goes back to Murcveigh. As mentioned, solid back line. So far they've scored ten goals, which matches Vancouver for the top of the Western Conference in terms of goals scored. The ball goes down the line, picked up good challenge by Jackson. Reagan slides in on that right hand sid It's going to be an early throw for San Diego in the attack in half of the field.
Speaker 3: And what you notice for the Sounders is there're no stranger to playing in big environments and big stadiums in front of rockers crowds, and what the Sounders have always done well And Ziggy used to tell us this, you want to be streak breakers. So San Diego gets their first win at home, you want to be the first team to say that you broke that little streak that they got going to that win, and obviously a decent result just before that at home in a draw.
Speaker 1: Ball down the line and it's going to be an early corner kick for San Diego down on this bottom left corner. As we're looking at it, quickly taken short corner to Lasana goes it towards the end like cuts it back top of the six yard Bucks strike and that's an early goal.
Speaker 2: That's a horror start for the Sounders.
Speaker 1: And it's traverse cuff from about eight yards out. The ball was cut back, he was able to control it inside the eighteen yard Bucks slots it pass Fry and inside the first two minutes. That is not what you want to do for the Sounders. They go down one nil.
Speaker 3: No, this is gonna drive Brian schmetz Aer crazy here. You know that you're playing away from home, they're gonna come off to a fast start. Anytime a team just drops the ball back and smashes it forward, you're in for it. On the night and San Diego smelled something here. They know that the Sounders have fallen asleep. And you saw it as soon as that ball went out. The Sounders were slow to drop back and they're not set up. And what does San Diego do? A quick move here and you got the best player on the field in Chucky Lozano, with just a little slight cut and all of a sudden, you still have look at the Sounders. They've got five to three inside the box and still the inability to close down and block that from going in the back of the net. And worst case scenario for the Sounders, you go down one nothing inside two minutes. It's a tough hill to climb.
Speaker 1: Now, well, that's not gonna look good on the Monday morning video replay, Christian Roldan jumps up, isn't able to take the ball off Juky Lozano and he goes down and really good early fresh from San Diego, and they go up a goal. Sounders have talked about it all week, keep it tight, don't give them anything. They just felt the Sounds were fast asleep in that six yard box and Reagan wasn't able to step forward and really challenges.
Speaker 2: The ball goes down the right hand side.
Speaker 1: Eventually the assistant referees flag on the far side goes up, but it's not when you want them.
Speaker 2: Ball goes out the top.
Speaker 1: Jackson Reagan talked about in his interview this week is the ability for San Diego's are not the ball along and really kind of counter the sound as high press.
Speaker 3: Well, what Sandy Goes done is they built an incredibly athletic team. That's why they've been up such a hot start to start this MLS campaign off. And that's a credit to this roster that they built. When you look at the roster, there's only like six guys from the US on their roster as opposed to sixteen or so guys on the Sounders roster. And what they've done is brought in a lot of athletic guys who maybe didn't play at the biggest teams overseas, but in athletic technical teams, and they've been able to put together something special. And Jackson's right, the ball over the top is key. If you're going to play in this league. You have to have speed to stretch on the opposite side. It's such an athletic league. And the Sounder's got to be aware. You get caught once on the long ball, and now it's just about right as a center back, take an extra yard or two as you drop. As soon as you see one of their backs put their head down, especially playing four in the back, you know they're going to have to look long because the Sounders are going to have numbers in the middle to match up.
Speaker 1: Well, it feels Brad that goal is kind of symbolic of the sound a season so preventable goals, in ability to clear the lines and look at someone like Jackson Rag and play the candidate over the last couple of years, really just the inability to squeeze that ball and looked somewhat static and the Sounders just give up another sloppy goal, as he did last week, of course against San Jose.
Speaker 3: Now, the one thing about getting scored on early is you got a good eighty five minutes to get one in the back of the net and salvage draw at least. The Sounders just have to calm down, get a little bit more comfortable on the ball, keep possession, find out what the rhythm of this game is going to be before they get too anxious. Sound is a new three back system.
Speaker 1: Yeamo has the ball and this near side the right cuts it inside square to Vargas driving forward. Good chapel, things about Lasana coming back, but the ball squeezes over to the far side to Rothrock. Little cutback double teamed on that left hand side, comes back to roll Done, who switched the point of attack square to Yemo down the line into Ferrara and needs a good game tonight, does Jesus Ferrara? Can he get on the board for his first Sounders goals The ball goes back to that man.
Speaker 2: Ferrara had a good.
Speaker 1: Second half against San Jose, dropping into that pocket fush. Danny Masowski came on at halftime, did a good job, wasn't able to shake off and niggling injury joined the week that he picked up last week against San Jose's on the bench. See if he comes on and makes a similar impact as he did last week. Sound is gonna need something. One thing for sure is you're gonna have to score a goal to at least get back into this game as the Sounders have it with Rosnek goalscorer of course last week against San Jose. Here comes Rothrock down the left hand side, cuts it his preferred right foot, comes inside inside the eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yard box, strike just wide by Russneck.
Speaker 1: He picked it up inside the eighteen yard box, just dropped it on his right foot and just squeeze it wide to the post goal kick.
Speaker 2: It means one nil San Diego, but good chance for the Sounders.
Speaker 3: Look at this replay. Paul Rothrock does so well on that left hand side. And what we've criticized Paul Rothrock is in previous games he's just putting his head down and running and just being calm, knowing that the Sounders are gonna maintain possession on top of the eighteen and if you do that, someone is gonna fall asleep on San Diego and Snack pops up in a perfect spot. That's what he loves to do, right, He likes to come across his body and try to find that near posts and the Sounders, unlucky there is up one's skates, just passing your post.
Speaker 1: Sandiego build out the back of course, this new ability for players and teams to build inside the six yard box. They managed to work it out down their left hand side. Down the line. It goes to Drey who just aes and knock it back into the path of delatory, picked up well by the Sounder's midfield, and then they shift it from center to far side the left to Paul Rothrock, who's he's.
Speaker 2: Finding his feet again.
Speaker 1: Of course, Stella the year last year, five goals in his You'll Breakout campaign for the Sounders.
Speaker 2: He's playing on that left hand side today.
Speaker 1: Of course, Ariola essentially could have been in that slot, was marked in and penciled in, but the ACL injury, of course, picked up on the road just a few weeks ago, has taken him out of contention most likely for the entire season, and then of course some of the quirky MLS rules it does allow the Sounders to backfill that. And Ryan Kent from all highlights looks a really dynamic player, both what the players have seen up front and personal at long A Becas, but also from the highlights shown and San Diego Brad are playing with fire but lots of comfortence.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so. I was just gonna say, they're gonna get caught on one of these if they're going to play out of the back inside the six with ten or twelve passes. I mean, credit to them. Are sticking to their guns. But you're, like you said, you're playing with fire back there. And roth Rock commits a foul, But it's about the pressure, right When you see San Diego line up against against our Sounders with the three in the back, they're basically man for man up top, and you see how tight they are. They're really just forcing the Sounders in a block of six to play on one side of the field, and it's really difficult to switch the point of attack with three guys because he ultimately got both your right left sided center back pulled all the way wide, and it puts you in a precarious position to play out the back. So that big switch is going to be on for the Sounders.
Speaker 2: Sound As have figured it out.
Speaker 1: High pressed by the sound of San Diego again, managed to going to pull it out to say quicks long by frank Ernegri. But somehow the San Diego men in Midnight Navy tonight picked the ball up middle of the park is goalscorer. It's Versekov who flicks it to the right hand side, cut back to Delatory, scuffs his shot, and then there's Valacari on the back side slides in see if he maybe he was an offside position. It does scoot over the end line for a goal kick for the Sounders here early in the game, they're still down one nail, but San Diego is still knocking on that door try to find that second goal.
Speaker 3: He's on side there as well, and I think I think Delator is looking to shoot that ball and he scuffs it just a little bit but look at that. If he slides a couple inches earlier, he might put that one in the in the back of the net. And that's one where new Who gets pulled all the way over because you're only playing with three in the back and you're playing with fire. For the Sounders going three against three, new who gets pulled all the way over? And where do you where do you find the space? Then new Who's vacated the left hand side. So san Diego being smart, we got to switch the point of it a tack and they do. They end up with a good opportunity.
Speaker 1: So obviously going down a goal early with three versus three, as you mentioned at four to three to three, that San Diego put out three to four to three, that the Sounders do within the Sounders would have tried to keep things tight, maybe drop Rothrock in a little bit deeper, just kind of stem the flow against the home team. But now it changes the whole dynamics of the game.
Speaker 3: Well, it's difficult because in a four to three three, the outside back can still move forward. So it to me a four through three is a bit more fluid, right. It gives you some more options for your outside backs to play with two true center backs. So the sounders are gonna have to be careful. And we know that Paul Rothrock isn't an out and out and defender, and we certainly know that Jesus isn't going to really fill in on that side. So it's gonna be Alex's duty to sit home a little bit more and create four in the back.
Speaker 1: Good little flick as Rothrock strikes it dright down the gut of does Santos. Easy save in the end, but good build up by the sound as it came from some high press again San Diego, try to build out of the.
Speaker 2: Back, and it was George.
Speaker 1: He was able to take it down on his chest playing high up for that number nine, and we'll see how that works out. I think Brian Schetzer and I had a conversation just a couple of weeks ago, and I said, you have a thought about putting Georgie up front of it creates some chaos, And he wasn't too it was in his mindset. But I think just Georgia could be that little dynamic You just don't know what you get to get from him, and it prevent could create some of those pockets of space for Ferrara to try and expose.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what you're gonna get, You're gonna get speed and in that unpredictability and you just can't teach speed. And that's why the sounders have been so successful with Jordan up top is it's always been that release valve for the sounders, and when you don't have them up top, the sounders tend to play a little bit differently than usual. So Georgia can provide a little bit of chaos because as a center back, we love watching film against the forward. We get an idea on how he likes to play. Or when you sub in a guy who really is an out and out winger and then you put him up top, don't know what you're gonna be up against, so it makes you play a little bit more withdrawn until you know thirty forty minutes into the game, san Diego will pick up more on his instincts. But the sounders, with the ability here to go ahead and press right, put this team under pressure. The release sal's got to be long.
Speaker 1: As McNair knocks it, long as precious, and the Sounders came it was challenged by Yama on the halfway line wins the free kick physical battle I think it was with Valacari. Sounders are going to have a free kick on the halfway line and wherever you're joining us today Sounders FC stream on the iHeartRadio app Tonight. Lot's going on in the world of sports, including Instaba, basketball, of course, krack and playing tonight sound As Big win as a fluff clearance by Dos Santos top of the box, Sounders win it flick around the corner by Rosnik finds Rothrock left corner of the eighteen yard box. Sounders have done well in the last couple of minutes, putting some high press and then pocket picked by Valacari on Roll Dan down their right hand side fast side. The right is San Diego. In transition, ball comes back to Valacari. Can't handle that pass as the Sounders win a foul good Doy runs into the back of roll Dan and that's all the experience you need, just sees the pressure come goes down. Free kick Sounders remains one nil here in the thirteenth minute snap Dragon Stadium in beautiful southern California, San Diego.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what, as a youngster, I wish someone would have taught me that earlier. I mean my youth career is just feel a little bit of pressure and just fall on the ground. You're gonna get the you're gonna get the foul called. It's a learned thing, right, Like you said, it's true experience that you learn these little nuances of the game, because we've all been taught to be this tough player and stay on your feet and make sure you ride out the challenge. But at this level it's inches. It's the tiny little things that can make a difference, and it's a little bit of savviness that Christian Roldon has gained over the years. It gets us out of trouble.
Speaker 2: That's probably where we learned the game.
Speaker 1: I think England and in the US pro teacher those tools of the trade. But if you're in southern South America or in Europe, probably learning that as a young kid. Santo now win the ball down inside the h and yard box, Les Lazano tricky play, good block by Reagan this time picked up by Leffle said, and on the right side, here comes Drea down the right hand side is Leftles set and flicks up off new Who's going to bounce through it's going to stay in bounds. There's gonna be a sliced, hooked cross up into the night sky, headed down and away by Alex rolled On. Of course, gave that ball away to give up the goal against San Josey this time knocks it down the line that's picked up by goalscorer Diverse Cough as San Diego gets settled in McNair former Man United Sundland middlesbrough Man playing alongside McVeigh, as we mentioned, came over from the East Coast DC United. Of course, any new franchises starting from complete scratch, and it does feel San Diego a little bit like the Sounders have really.
Speaker 2: Come and look comfortable.
Speaker 1: Is It's not gonna be any egos. Yes, Cuculuzano is a big time player, big time name, but the rest of them just feel like they fit in. This of course is right to Dream Network as well, that they've really kind of found players through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, my next comment was going to be how comfortable it is when you're a new expansion side playing in an environment like they have at Snapdragon, Right. You saw it with Saint Louis when they came into the league, and it's just that boost that the crowd gives you. And once you get that first victory, now you know what it feels like to win at home and the crowd is behind you. And then all of a sudden, you get that little boost of energy and off you go. You're beating teams that you probably shouldn't beat on any day.
Speaker 1: Good challenge just now who perfect challenge one v one versus Maine Men Andreas Dryer. This ball goes down the line, Georgia can't make it run into the channel.
Speaker 2: It's going to roll all the way through to De.
Speaker 1: Santos, but fixing Reagan lost a back in the middle of the field again and the ball got scooted out. As you mentioned, Brad, when you play three to back, if a defender sip steps up doesn't win the ball, then you can get exposed on those outsides as Lozano goes and clashes with rolls On.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it'll be interesting because I think Alex roll Don at this point is probably thinking, why don't I just sit back and support our back four because Chook is cheating so far high all our other center backs seem to be one for one sch Matts Wackett. Why don't I just sit at home and then attack when the space is in front of me.
Speaker 1: Good quick play by San Diego at the foot of Valacari. Inside the attack in half of the field, there's Della Torri, as you mentioned, San Diego native is on loan from Celta Vigo time of course at Fulham English Premier League and also in the Ari Divisier and Hollands. The ball down the left hand, so I go, is it Negri? He's gonna whipple on the six? Cleared by Jackson Reagan, sounders all across the board now, blankets of space opening up in transition. San Diego. I really enjoying their football right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can smell something right and it's Alex Roldan tucking inside being out of position. Where's the space out on the wings? If I'm San Diego, I want Jemar to come out wide. I want to pull him out into open spaces so I can make a little move. Maybe he's got a foul or I beat him, and then it's there's only two center backs in the box. Is gonna be new Who and Jackson? Those will be the only ones in the box for San Diego.
Speaker 1: Two arms up in the air, corner cack for San Diego with Lozano on their left hand side, instringly with his ro foot top of the six ball benches up, there's a hamball came off Valakari. I think when he challenged for the ball, it's gonna be a free kick for the Sounders. Inside their eighteen yard books and Branchmetto talked about San Diego being quality on set pieces, both offensively and strong defensively. Sounders actually second in the league full number of corner kicks, but just haven't been able to execute as much as they would have liked the type of chances they have and the type of size that the Sounders have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, I don't think the Sounders in the past four or five years have been very good at finishing set piece opportunities, whether it's corner kicks or from outside the box. Now Albert Rusnak with a career year last year, Yes, the service was good and the Sounders found their way on a few occasions, but they're not known as a set piece team throughout this league, so they're gonna they're gonna have to do it by pure numbers, right law of averages. The more corner kicks we can get the better, better opportunities we get to put the ball on the back of the net.
Speaker 1: Yep sixty three corners coming into this game. Took them over one hundred corner last season to get their first goal from a set piece. Sanders have it fast side to the left with rothrug Sound is getting settled in.
Speaker 2: Trying to find a way back into the game.
Speaker 1: As the ball goes into Georgie top of the eighteen Yardbocks just can't get away from it. As the ball goes off Georgie from a tackle for McNair's he came across, but good inside set ball through the middle of the back four. Georgie had a sniff of a chance. He goes over the end line for a goal kick.
Speaker 3: And that's a fantastic ball from Jackson. It's just his second touch that fails him. But what a tackle there coming in leaving your feet. That's desperation at its finest right there from the center back for San Diego and Georgie. Unlucky there, but that ball, that's a split ball that you have to have as a center back. If you have that in your bag, you're gonna play at the next level and have a long career right splitting lines. You basically take out six guys with one pass. The Sounder is going to need more of that tonight as the field becomes more narrow and narrow.
Speaker 1: You'll play by rolled On pulled it out a nice sky one touch pass into his brother Alex as he rolls the ball all the way back to Seph and fright full magenta tonight, top to toe as the Sounders captain. As he rolls it out to this near side to Alex, Roldan shifts the point of play.
Speaker 2: From this right side to the far side of the left.
Speaker 1: Anew who ask him for some help in front, goes back to Jackson Reagan as the Sounders build in possession. Nineteenth minute here snap Dragon Stadium, San Diego. Early second minute goal by San Diego puts them up one nill. Sounders trying to find themselves back into the game and his hiss Frere isn't able to control that ball. As Sandy Who's back line again build out the back Sounders are going to put some high press, as they've done on a number of occasions so far. San Diego have built out well. Just takes one though Sanders are sniffing out that chance. Can they win the ball high up the field and challenge Dos Santos eight goals four, eight goals against the season for the Sounders offensively.
Speaker 2: Has not been what they've done last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Top defense in the in MLS over the last two years they were on top of the podium on themselves with thirty five goals against last year and the thirty two goals and then the previous year tied with Nashville.
Speaker 3: Well, the teams that that that vibe for a supporter shield, right, you look at their records, you look at their goals against. They don't commit the silly errors throughout the season. And whether that's a matter of just being unlucky in moments or it's a moment of shutting off and just thinking that good things are going to happen. The teams I win the supporter shield and find themselves in great position are clearly switched on the entire season from game one and the Sounders just haven't showed it quite yet.
Speaker 1: As rolled down, feeling the pressure again this time Valacari, this time in a much more dangerous position, twenty five yards out from goal, left of center. He saw the pressure coming from Valakari absorbed the hit, went down, wins the free kick. Sounders have a chance in twenty first minute free kick. As we said, just seven yards or so outside the eighteen yard bucks.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a.
Speaker 1: Delivery or they gonna try and take a pop on goal. It's ru'sneck over it with his right foot. Sound as big men are in it is on goals. Could he flicked forward looking for maybe a flick from a slashing run from rolled on it bounces through to Dosentos, remains San Diego. One sound is Nail bred Evans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you're right. I think he's looking for a little deflection there. And the way that Rusnak strikes the ball, it's a bit of he comes over the top of the ball, so it likes to dip. And if you don't catch that one just perfect, it's only gonna be a foot or two off the ground and not really give that ball a chance to swerve at the goalkeeper. But listen to MLS three sixty before this, they talk about the preview for our game, and you know Dax is saying that Albert's one of the best players in this league, so he needs to show it in this game, and he will. He'll find pockets to Sound obviously go down one nothing early in this one, but Albert's gonna show his class. He's already got two strikes on goal, but he's got to be the player in this one to really take over that midfield and unbalanced the San Diego team well.
Speaker 1: Tonight's match is presented by the Western Washington Toyota Dealers as San Diego come again in transition won the ball off Roth right down the far side the right with Luffelsend goes back to Drea, top goal scorer for San Diego this season with three goals. San Diego build in possession. Eleven men behind the ball for the Sounders as they absorbed this pressure back three step up compact the field to play by McVeigh. Wriggles out of pressure from Georgia comes back to Paddie McNair. Came back from international duty with Northern Ireland just a few days ago, very much like Knew who did after his World Cup qualifying exploits with Cameroon just a few weeks ago. Sounders now have it.
Speaker 3: You love San Diego's idea, right, I'm sure Before the game and during practice, this week. They were saying, hey, we're gonna smash that ball forward if we get if we get the first kick at this thing, and then if we get a corner kick, we're taking it quick, as quick as possible, just to unbalance the Sounders, see if they're awake, and fortunate for San Diego, unfortunate for the Sounders. It happens a minute and a halfpen into this game, and I just don't think the Sounders were really switched on, and San Diego's now punished.
Speaker 1: Them good win by Yama rolls a wall quickly into Farrera, then square inside Alex Schrolder and pinching him from his right backs, but clips it towards Russneck. Rothrock's on the far side, wide open as a slashing run by Russneck. He dragged Luffel send in the spaces over the top, goes all the way through to the goalkeeper.
Speaker 3: There's more high press from the Sounders here though, four.
Speaker 1: Men top of the bucks right now they're allowing San Diego just to play. And now they go with Georgie. I don't know just Sandsos knows the speed of George. You've been knowing way almost gets to on it good step by the Sounders are new. They've done a really good job putting pressure on and then winning that second.
Speaker 2: Ball, and the ball does go long.
Speaker 1: Sounders have it twenty five yards from the end line, left side with Rothrock now eighteen yards from the end line, cuts back on his right foot, goes back to New in support.
Speaker 2: Even with a back.
Speaker 1: Three New who far up the field on that left hand side. Rothrock goes inside. It comes Vargas alongside the eighteen yard box, chance to shoot, rolls it out to this near side to Alex, rolled on closed down by Negri Good defending his Yemar gets pushed in the back. Referees right there, no foul given. Rolled on skipping down the right hand side back to his brother. Alex clips it in and Rare was just winding up. Ball clear by San Diego. Goodoy goes down, feels the pressure. He wins a free kick this time. Does the panamanium uses that all that experience. It's gonna be a free kick for San Diego and they continue to lead here one nill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fine from the Sounders. This is the replay from earlier, that ball being slipped in. That's good from the Sounder. So that's that high press, and I think San Diego knows if they go long, the Sounders are going to win that ball every single time. So they're hedging their bets that they can play out of the back and that one of the Sounders is gonna fall asleep. What I want to see out of Georgie is once he has that explosive step, you're baiting the keeper to have the ball. I want to see him slide. Why not slide If you get cut and he comes back the other way, fine, But if he gets put under pressure and he does decide to swing at the ball, you got to be there with your foot in line and swing at it.
Speaker 1: And that was a prime example. He's right there. All you need is a slide, tackle, deflection, and the goalkeepers inside his six yard bucks and now he gives it away to Ferrara, whips it in quickly, bull bounces through the top of the box, a rough thrut strike, deflection, corner kick Sounders. But the high press is working, and as Brad Evans just mentioned, Georgie was a whisk away from winning it, eventually giving a web up by the goalkeeper, comes in quickly by Ferrera, pop shot by roth Rock deflected. I think he's off Doy. It's gonna be a corner kick for the Sounders.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm watch my indoor team from Wednesday nights try to play out the back, and they're playing with fire, just like we do it. If it works out, you look amazing, and if not, it ends up with something on goal for the opposite team and the sound is unlucky there. It's a little deflection with a great strike from Paul Rothrock.
Speaker 1: Short corner whipped in now by Rauznek on this right side. All pops up in the EBB via San Diego clearance.
Speaker 2: Can't win it.
Speaker 1: Flicks up forward by Drea, headed down by roll Down.
Speaker 2: Two Rolldan brothers.
Speaker 1: Coming together as Yamo clashes into I think it was Valacari looking for the ball down the line till Lozano goes out on this near side for a Sounders throw. As we get here in the twenty sixth minute snap Dragon Stadium, San Diego, first ever game between these two teams. San Diego, of course, the newest MLS franchise five hundred plus million dollars it costs to buy this franchise, and this opportunity to come in as the thirtieth MLS franchise. Thirty years of celebration, sheer, thirty years of MLS.
Speaker 2: Thirty teams.
Speaker 1: The league has come some way since similar the days I played. When I came into the league in two thousand and two, it.
Speaker 2: Was ten teams.
Speaker 3: I think I was twelve.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's mister young grown a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, you just saw Schmidtz on the sideline they got they got video of the perfect time to get Schmetz on camera. Just put up his hands and say switch. So Georgie's gonna come out here to the right hand side. Farrera's gonna go up top as the number nine. And you know, I don't mind Georgie up top, but I guess a tactical decision. Let's see what Faria can do up top, see if we can get him more involved. He's been pretty quiet in this first app. But I think San Diego knows that right. They know that Ferrera is gonna be the guy that the Sounders go to. Now, let's bring Georgie out wide and see if he can shake things up.
Speaker 1: As Lazano cuts it past, Yama comes all the way across the center, of the park. But the Sounders do win it with rawork. He's gonna whip it through.
Speaker 2: The right in front of the referee.
Speaker 1: Easy foul, so fun Now yellow cards give him by the referees. Good Dory pulls him down. You're free kicking inside this unders half of the field. The sound as FC Sockey is presented by a provident Swedish official healthcare.
Speaker 2: Partner of Sounders FC.
Speaker 1: Just over fifteen minutes or so of this first half to go. Can the Sounders find a way back into this game?
Speaker 2: As they trail one goal to nil.
Speaker 1: Against new boy San Diego Golf to a flying start first game.
Speaker 2: Of the season. Could it get any more difficult going.
Speaker 1: Up against La Galaxy MLS chems at La But they went in there it came out with a two nil win. The ball goes down the right inside. Now the Sounders have it to Georgia. Can he tests against negrig good one v one defending by the San Diego left back signed for Miami Argentinian one goal of his season so far.
Speaker 3: That's really good defending there. That's my worst nightmare is going up against someone like Georgie right, and it's all about just keeping your feet, keeping your balance. You're always gonna throw at least a move or two in and you just can't bite at the first one. And he does everything right there. That's what you want from Georgie, right is that isolation. But one thing we've talked about with Georgie is that move has to come earlier. He is so fast that the move doesn't have to come right bumped up against the defender. He can do it with time and space. All it is is shifting the weight of the defender.
Speaker 2: Delatroy drives forward, wins won by rolled on. Well.
Speaker 1: He comes the ball to Georgie now right side of the box, whips it in, does it go one b one? Ball gets flicked up by Leffel send. It's gonna be a corner kick. Inadvertent clearance by the San Diego right back goes up and over. It's gonna be a corner kick for the Sounders. Can they make San Diego pay? And look at the down of the replay. Was Georgie had some time and space in the right corner of the box And that's why Brad you're talking about And he's a drive against the defender.
Speaker 3: Yeah he can, but you know a couple of weeks ago against I think LAFC. He whipped in that ball from a deep lying space in and around the defenders and Jordan Morris finishes and that ball just isn't on the right mark, but the Sounders end up with a corner kick with good transition play.
Speaker 1: Sunder's getting back in the game. Fifty to fifty in possessions so far for the Sounders. So the knocking ball comes in, headed down by Reagan, headed clear by the San Diego back line, picked up by Vargas who.
Speaker 2: Asked for a throw in.
Speaker 1: Nothing given, He's gonna run over and try and pick it up off Lozano, of course, fellow countryman. Now after Vargas committed himself to the Mexican national team, most recently to the U twenty camp, went to Europe to Spain, bits some friend lies, but he's been involved in the national team camp and Cuculazana's trying to get back into the national team set up before the twenty twenty six Wold Cup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what a great opportunity for Obed. I mean, it's got to be one of his idols, right, one of the best players to play for Mexico. Consistently, but he's also had an incredible career overseas. And that's a conversation for after the game, right, you got to be looking forward to that one if you could be a fly on the wall. And if I'm mobed, I'm asking him what do I do? What do I do to take my game to the next level? What do I do to give myself a best chance at making a World Cup with Mexico? Whatever it may be? He should take this opportunity to really pick Chooky's brain bill.
Speaker 1: Down the left hand side of the sound is here they come again? Can they find something? Ball whipped in, headed clear by McVeigh, picked up by goalscorer to verse CoV good calm play goes out to Luffel send. It's been all across the Mountain West region RSL Colorado. Now he finds himself down in San Diego. Has a efficient player since his introduction to the league in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 3: Wins.
Speaker 1: A thrown on the far side slows things down to get here in the final fifteen minutes of the first half. Don't leave us at halftime, Jackson, Pete and Mars were we back to break everything down? Sounders looking for way back into this game as Lozano's striding forward looks fit and healthy right now as it plays the ball to the far side the right to Drea tries to clip it over. Now who wins the ball on the sly tackle, But it does go over the end line and there's going to be a corner kick for San Diego.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when this game is starting to look like the San Jose game, a little bit, a bit more stretched than I think the Sounders would like to away from home. In years past we've seen we've seen the Sounders go away from home, play five in the back and really lock things down. It seems like this year the Sounders are happy to go away from home, take their chances, and before you know it, this one's getting stretched.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a corner kick from top man. Drea whips it in with his left foot in swinger flicked over by the verse, Kov finds the foot of good Joy no real pressure is able to clip it in, then headed away by Yama strike down wide.
Speaker 2: Of Stephan Frre's post.
Speaker 1: Is gonna be a goal kick for the Sounders here in a thirty second minute San Diego won Sounders nil nice open games so far, bratt in these first thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what the Sounders have to have to be careful of, right. It's all about transition and the Sounders aren't typically a transition based team, and that's why you leave things open in the back. A team like LAFC love to play in transition.
Speaker 1: Paul giving away cheaply, then Sounders asking for some help as mean as alechrol Don goes down to the deck. Now Sounders' shirts surrounding the referee. We know the new rules coming to play this year where the captain has to be the individual.
Speaker 2: Who's challenging the referee.
Speaker 1: They're trying to get away from players surrounding the man in the middle.
Speaker 3: I don't know what happened here. If it was a quick goalkick from the Sounders that got intercepted, I'm not sure where this play went wrong, but the Sounders under the gun there.
Speaker 1: Alex rolledan back on his feet. Good news for the Sounders as the back line with Jackson yemar Anu trying to sort things out. Knew you had a nice interview this week. You haven't seen it, go listen to it. He talks thoughtfully about the Sounders and their season so far, and is could actually be a change for Alex Roldan.
Speaker 2: He got up on his feet, he was able to walk off on his own volition.
Speaker 1: But it is going to be an early change for the Sounders. And it's Koloney Coats o Rienzi like for like switch. Of course, kilaney Is first major contribution was that goal at home means LAFC the Sounders now building the back cheaply. They've been watching San Diego. But Sounders having to be able to build out is good. Do I closes down, slides over the far side, isn't able to retain the ball.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a.
Speaker 1: Toying for the Sounders.
Speaker 2: But Sandy, you're playing with some fire.
Speaker 3: So with the Sounders, Brett, Yeah, And it's it's a case of two teams that want to keep possession right and how do you do that? You have to play out of the back at the end of the day, and it's who's gonna make the mistake first and who's gonna stick to their guns. There's a clear handball, Yeah that Sounders.
Speaker 1: Fell Troy comes across. It was Colony's first introduction.
Speaker 3: My concern with Alex over the last couple of weeks is that he looked a little bit tired, and I think it's a product of how the Sounders have been playing. And now he gets bit with, you know, an injury bug here early in this one against San Diego. And for the Sounders to stay healthy, they can't just play a million miles an hour at all times, right, It's got to be a bit more of the sustained possession, sustained possession in the attacking half. And I actually got to sit down with Rothrock this week and watch a little video with him and just ask them about a couple of different things in his game, and also point out there was a moment in that San Jose game where the Sounders were on a break. Sounders had seven guys in and around the box, San Jose had four. We pull up for a shot from twenty yards. And it's just that game recognition of, hey, we can keep the ball here. If you did a practice session where you said we're going to play seven against four, you'd be locking your chops as an attacker, not you right, as a defender, you'd be like, this is the worst drill ever. And so I think it's that that recognition on the field of when we do have numbers, let's be patient and let's keep possession, and one of the San Diego players is going to eventually make a mistake. Yeah, the sound is another mistake from Jackson Reagan here.
Speaker 1: Jackson Reagan has certainly been the stop start season so far for Jackson is Let's not forget that first game of the season against Charlotte when it was Jackson's giveaway cost the Sounders three points at the very end of that game. There's a known goal by Yamar in the end, but it did come from a giveaway.
Speaker 2: By Jackson Reagan.
Speaker 1: And characteristic for the sound as defensively is one thing the Sounders have been all focused in the off season and pre season on the offensive third of the field, not thinking they have to really focus in on the defense. It has been so good, it's been some uncharacteristic mistakes, and today's goal is very synonymous and symbolic of that as well. It was early leadoff led up by the Sounders in that second minute sending you go on the borders. We get here in the thirty sixth Sounders look in to try and find that equalizing goals. That ball goes down the line farst side, the left flick through by mcveaze, it comes across challenges. Rothrop's could be the Sounders throwing deep on their left hand side. So Coloney on four, Alex rohld On, you mentioned it when you played three of the back. There's a lot of real estate to run up and down that right hand side, especially when someone like from Rare playing on that right side lights tuck into that pocket. Here's one hundred and plus yards of real estate that Alex Rohldor has to cover.
Speaker 3: Is responsible for that, and that's where you get into trouble. Right. Yes, in theory, it's great to have an out and out winger, but you're covering the entire line. You're responsible for getting forward, putting in crosses in your also responsible for recovering all the way back into your own box. And so what you see with Kolani, he's going to tuck in a little bit more because they want that overload in the midfield. They want to go four for three in the midfield at that point. But now you got to put your foot on the ball and find that four for three recognition in there.
Speaker 1: Third corner kick for the Sounders on their left hand side ball is on the foot of Rosneck looking to go short, ask him for ten yards as Drea comes across. Sounders looking to find some magic from these corner kicks. As you mentioned, Andy Rose has always try to tweak and add some ingenuity in terms of what the Sounders can bring. Six shots on goals so far for the Sounders six shots in total, two shots of those on goal, fifty to fifty possession. Can the Sounders find a goal from a set piece? Ball comes in flicked over the top by rolled On, It made a slash and run to that front post, wasn't able to redirect. It's going to be a goal kick here in the thirteenth minute for San Diego as they lead.
Speaker 3: One goal to Nilay we haven't mentioned much for San Diego has been Dryer, who's been a fantastic player for them, coming in and really being that lynchpin in the attacking side of things, and the Sounders have kept them quiet for the better part of this game. Now, save save for the first goal, I think the Sounders have been pretty good so far this game. Defensively pretty good. Now it's just cleaning up a few things. We still have seen those uncharacteristic little giveaways, a mishit pass, giving up thousand deep areas, playing with fire out of the back, and just the clear cut opportunities aren't coming for the Sounders, and we'll see in this second half if they can make a change and maybe go with two up top and see how that combination works. Because if you're not creating high quality chances, you can't just live and die by the one chance that you might get. Well.
Speaker 1: Bran Schweitzer does have options coming off the bench. One of them at Dela Vega's the ball goes back for McNair, no look pass and Rothroat trying to take a chance, or gets headed forward by Georgie.
Speaker 2: We'll see how long Georgie lasts.
Speaker 1: He's spend most of his time coming off the bench, of course this season, throughout his career, a couple of arts this year and last year. But Refree's flagging, the far side goes up, Colonie comes back to defend.
Speaker 3: Well. One thing Schmiz said a couple of weeks ago was the relationship between Colonie and Georgie is something he was excited about. So I hope through this second half of Georgie like you said can stay on the field and stay. There's another bad giveaway from Jackson Reagan in the back and a silly fowl to follow it.
Speaker 2: Roll Doan goes.
Speaker 1: Into goodoy the middle of the park in the attack in half the field they get going quickly. Baul goes into Luffelsen to dre with his left foot choice to find a slashing run of Losano on the back post goes over the endline for a Sounder's goal kick just over five minutes to go of this first half. As the Sounders now trying to find a way back into this game before they go in the locker room. But this coppywatched. Audio casts of Major League Soccer may not be retransmitted, reproduced, or rebroadcast without the express written consent of Major League Soccer. As the Sounders duke build again with Stephan Frye, the foot of Vargas rolls it to Klanni on this near side, the right cuts inside, rolls it back to Jackson Reagan, who's given up a couple of balls in these last couple of minutes. He rolls at this time nice and safe out to New who far side is New who tries to.
Speaker 2: Wriggle around goodoik.
Speaker 1: He'd Alway's got that experience, puts himself between ballland player San Diego win it with del Torri thirty yards from goal central the park to Lozano comes back on his preferred right foot. There's Rosneck steps in as a nibble, doesn't win the ball given up by Lazana, picked up well by Vargas, nothing really ahead of him. Now it is Farrera striding over the halfway down and this near side the right, Georgie to his right in support. Frerera comes back, rolls it back to Kerlaney outside his foot, flicks it to Yema to rolled do. We'll see what messaging Brian Schmetz is going to give his team. As Brad mentioned, it's been a pretty good solid half so far and he Won's safe for Stephan Fry in this first half against an energized team that can score, sit on top of the Western Conference coming into today's game. As they whip it from center to far side the right to Dre inside the box as new comes back ball top of the box to good Day and that's a second goal.
Speaker 2: That's a killer.
Speaker 1: Five minutes before the end of the first half, it's San Diego in transition, ball goes out to Drea Goody in support. As the ball came back to the central midfield player, he is able to slide it past step and Fry into the bottom corner and San Diego go up two goals to nil.
Speaker 3: I want to see this replay again because we are todd If there's three in the back, the ball goes all the way ride right to Georgie. Okay, he loses the ball. Well, where's new who in that situation? If he is not tucked in as a second center back, all that space is wide open, and we watched this replay here, He's nowhere to be found on the screen. He's above halfway in that situation, leaving Jackson and Yemar left to defend on two. And then he's late to come back and it's an easy tap in for Goodoy at the near post. It's just sloppy defending for the Sounders. At the end of the day, Yes, Georgie has to do better and be strong and know that it's either got to be his legs being chopped out or that ball goes out of bounds and the Sounders find themselves in a tough position worst time. To concede a goal, especially away from home.
Speaker 1: Well, Brad, you're right if you're a the scent, if you're injection rag and the balls on the far side of the right, you have to slide across.
Speaker 2: You can't stay left because there's a huge gap in the middle. You stay connected to Yama and we see position.
Speaker 3: With San Diego. They stick with three guys up. You know that they're gonna have three guys sitting up high. That's how they're set up. So the Sounders falling asleep, playing with fire and they get punished.
Speaker 1: Just uncharacteristic mistakes from the Sounders in twenty twenty one when they went to play three at the back. That committed to that lineup and they proved to be extremely successful, the likes of Knew was an All Star that year, six All Star placements for the Sounders getting off to that incredible start. Now they've got a mountain to climb as they pick up the ball inside. They're attacking half of the field with Rusnak has been relatively quiet and the certainly in the last fifteen to twenty minutes to Vargas again playing well in the middle. But we need him four to get more involved. Especially now Sound is trailing two goals to nil. As the ball goes down to the right inside rash challenged by NEGRII still not a yellow card. Goldan goes down a little talking too by but da we it's gonna be a free kick for the Sound as a chance to get back into this game. Just a handful of minutes to go before the end of this first half.
Speaker 3: Well, it seemed a few years when it was three in the back, it was really five in the back. When we watched them play, it seemed like it was more five in the back. Now it seems like it's three. And then whoever wants to go forward can go forward, and you're not seeing the pivot. If I play with three in the back and two sitting in front of me with two six's, if my right winger vacates that space, it's the job for the for the closest six to drop into that space, and then my recovery as an outside midfielder is to tuck inside right. We want to keep everything on the outside of the field, and I haven't seen that from Obed or Christian today. That cover in wide areas.
Speaker 1: All comes in from Roznik headed away by the San Diego back line, flip back in by Vargas, headed away and then hook clear by Valakari. Good headed clearance by Kilaney, but he isn't able to find as sound as player as a ball gets headed back from McVeigh back to C J J.
Speaker 2: Santos and the San Diego goal.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Sound As FC Kids Club is better than ever now with more membership options Sammy's Squad off as Young Fans Ages five through twelve, exclusive merchandise experiences and more. Go to soundsfc dot com Slash Kids Dash Club to join the pod. Sound As High Press isn't able to win the ball, Sandio come out with it with Lozano looking sharp down that left hand side against young Kilaney. Good defending by Yabo is gonna have to come and slide and help the young Sounders. Right back has come off the bench replacement of Alex rolled.
Speaker 2: On have to go off.
Speaker 1: Some injury picked up, able to walk off the field, sit down, but fortune for the Sounders another injury is not what we want. Now We're starting to get players back. Peedro Delaveager on the bench today. Read Baker Whiting back from his injury. Jordan Morris just a week or two away. Of course, Ryan Kent finding some match fitness. He's going to be a burst of energy for the Sounds when he comes back. The ball gets clipped from this near.
Speaker 2: Sight to the far side.
Speaker 1: Luffls and goes down rammed into by Rothrock asking for a shoulder to shoulder is a free kick given by the referee. We'll see a replay down on our screen. Is clatter into Luffelson and hook the ball clear and sometimes it's momentum.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it might be a level of frustration.
Speaker 3: Was going to be my next time, my next one. And Klane needs to know whether Rothrock's got really only one opportunity there. And Klana just needs to keep possession. But he's in a good spot to recover the ball in the previous play. It'll be interesting to see what the Sounders do here at halftime if they make some make some shifts.
Speaker 1: Well gets caught out one ball over the top. Here's Lozano over the top. It goes and then hits the roof for the net.
Speaker 2: Sounders get a let off.
Speaker 1: It was one ball just caught the entire back line out from the free kick. I think it was Dre hook the ball over the shoulder of Kilaney got caught out. Yemar is no man's land and Lozano just clips it over. Fry isn't able to land in the back of the goal. Sandieo continued to lead to nil here. But the Sounders need to get into that locker room and get some talk into and some guidance from the coaching staff.
Speaker 3: Well, it looks like one team wants to be here and and one team is a little bit slow today, whatever that may be. But they've had a full week of training. Guys should be healthy, they should be flying. This just a great opportunity to play away from home, to be able to beat this team the first game, first team to beat this uh San Diego team in this stadium, and then you let one go in early, and then you fall asleep once again and get caught the Sounders. I think we talked to Schmidz in production. He didn't lay into them last week at San Jose. I think this is going to be a little bit different. You're going to see a little bit of a different Schmetz.
Speaker 1: All given away by Rosnik this time down the middle. It goes, it's dryer, top of the box, strikes a great hand by Fry and he goes after the rebound, picks it up, but it let off again by the sound is three minutes of added time as San Diego lead two goals to nil, and this score up is presented by Toyota. Ninety seconds or so to go, Sounders need.
Speaker 2: To hold on.
Speaker 1: Can they find a goal before they go into the locker room? Was Musovsky who came off the bench last time last week against San Jose changed the game somewhat. With a much more energized Sounder's performance in the second half, they're able to find that equalizing goal with Rosnek. Now they've got much greater task as they look wide open at times. Bull goes down this simon top of the box is Lozano strikes it back of the net.
Speaker 2: Sounder's standing.
Speaker 1: Asking for some help from the assistant referee. It's not gonna come. It came in transition again. San Diego scored three goals against LAFC last week in the first half, and they get their third goal tonight with just thirty seconds of time to go.
Speaker 3: Just the hunger your team tonight, That's all we can say so far in this first forty five minutes. Jackson Reagan has to know that there's forty five seconds left to halftime. Just get in at halftime. Instead, he tries to clip a ball in when you're three for three at the back. It's a quick turnover and look in two passes, Knew Who's pushed up the field once again and then in behind Jackson. Reagan's shoulder is the best player on the field, and that's what the best player on the field, and Chuck Gulzzano's gonna do. He's gonna put the ball in the back of the net. He's gonna turn your head and you're gonna have to walk with your head hanging low into this locker room away from home. And look, I've been a part of these games, right We've gone down to Portland and we've got smash and you have to come out in this second half and show that you want to be there because if you don't, it's going to be a long flight home for a lot of guys after this game.
Speaker 1: Yep, first goal for Tukulazana for his new club, one of the top paid.
Speaker 2: Men in MLS, and that's a really tough one.
Speaker 1: It was a tough one to con see that second goal with just five minutes to go, not a good time to give it up, and for the Sounders they give up that third goal. San Diego lead three goals to nil and they score. Update is presented by Provident Swedish. As we tick a minute past the three of added time, referee just needs to put his whistle to his mouth to get the Sounders in the locker room. Can they find some Sounders pride? So the referees whistle goes and it's been an extremely difficult and frustrating first half down in San Diego. In the second minute, Captain tversclf picked a ball up inside the eighteen yard box, able to slot it in. And then in the forty first minute it was good Dooy slid it past step from Fry into the bottom corner, and then it was Chuo ky Lazana for its first goal for his new club to make it three nil before the halftime break.
Speaker 2: Brad, your final thoughts, It was.
Speaker 3: The pressure from San Diego tonight that really put the Sounders under pressure, and it was just converting their chances right. The Sounders had a few half chances in that first half and weren't able to put the ball on the back of the net. They seem the livelier sides tonight. They look like they want to be there, right, They look like they're playing for something and the Sounders aren't. And they got a regroup at halftime, and I wish that we could have a microphone in that locker room to hear what's going on.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to get some of that where Jackson felt, because I feel like there's gonna be a level of frustration.
Speaker 2: Coming out at halftime. And we'll take a short break here.
Speaker 1: We'll be Jackson and Pete and Mars back to break has been debt, a most disappointing first half of the Sounders down in San Diego at halftime here at Snapdragon Stadium, Send Diego, three sounds nil.
Speaker 3: At Umquadbank, our business is about rooting for yours. Our bankers are experts at helping you navigate financial solutions centered around your business. As a top ranked SBA lender in Seattle, we believe that when small businesses grow, our communities thrive. Umpquadbank is the official banking partner of Sounders FC. Visit umpquadbank dot com to learn more. Member fdic.
Speaker 4: Hey, they're Sounders fans. All of us at sound Transit love when you take the train to the match, but we want to remind you to use crosswalks and obey traffic signals near tracks. Trains are quieter than you expect, travel in both directions and approach at varying speeds that are difficult to judge. The amount of time you might save by ducking or going around a crossing gate isn't worth risking your life for. So next time you're buy a track, play it safe. That way we all win.
Speaker 5: A message from Sound Transit, are you.
Speaker 6: Ready to rock? Emerald Queen Casino Event Center presents Hairball Thursday, May first, celebrating twenty five years with their silver Anniversary Tour. It's like twenty concerts in one night, the bombastic celebration of arena rock. A band puts on a concert, Hairball puts on an event, a mind blowing, drop dead accurate homage to some of the biggest arena acts in the world.
Speaker 5: Emerald Queen Casino, the entertainment capital of the.
Speaker 3: Northwest Providence in Sounders FC, are proud to continue the Community Assist of the Match. The Community Assists of the Match will help elevate individuals and organizations who stand tall for justice, equality and community well being. Each match, Sounders FC in Providence will proudly recognize one exceptional nominee during an exclusive halftime feature. To nominate a hero in your community, please visit sounderzefc dot com slash Community Assist for a chance to be recognized as our Community Assist.
Speaker 7: Of the match you're listening to Sounders FC Soucker Sounders Fcsucker is brought to you by Delta Airlines, proud to donate one soccer ball for every mile round by Sounders FC players this season through Rave Foundations one Mile one Ball program and by Providence, Swedish official healthcare partner of Seattle Sounders EFC. Now time for the Sounders FC halftime show.
Speaker 8: Forty five minutes in the books at Snapdragon Stadium, and it's not pretty for your Sounders three nothing, San Diego. We'll say that tonight's match is presented by the Western Washington Toyota Dealers. Jackson Feltz Pete viewing mas Vita Mata here for the halftime show. I don't know, Pete, that was rough and I think it was especially rough, and I'm especially frustrated right now because San Diego score in the forty first minute to make it two to nothing, and at that point you're obviously very frustrated. But then Chucky Lozano makes it three nothing in the forty fifth plus three, and at this point you kind of just look at the defenders and look at the defending of this team and go, guys, halftime is nearing and what was that defending Pete in the final five minutes plus stoppage?
Speaker 9: Well, you got to know what's going on in the clock right there, and you can't be that high up the park. You've just got to get your down two. You want to make sure you keep it too when you go in at halftime. Moss said it before the game, and we heard Brad say it during the game. Who wants it more? Right? And that was your comment on Keys to the Match, Moss was, Who's gonna want it more?
Speaker 1: Boy?
Speaker 9: This San Diego team is very impressive. Seattle's got to play quicker. They allow San Diego to get all eleven guys behind the ball most of the time when Seattle goes and Brian talked about this this morning. We've got to play through the lines. Jackson Reagan had one really good ball to Georgia and it beats six guys, right, But most of the time these balls are not zipped from one side to the other and then expose the defense. It allows it to get behind on the other side. Holy cow, when this team goes forward, they look dangerous every single time. So I feel bad for Stephan Fry. I don't think he could do anything on the first goal, the second goal, or the third goal. He's kind of an island on his own. But you know, to all the comments that we heard from Danny and Brad Seattle right now and Brian, Brian said it this morning, he hasn't given the hair dryer treatment in the locker room, he hasn't thrown anything in the locker room. But I'll bet you right now he is furious because the lack of pride. And that's the biggest part. Lack of pride. You know, you're playing against a team that is just joined the league and they're making you look foolish right now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, coach, I mean I would add lack of pride and lack of awareness. Yeah, and we heard I thought Brad at an excellent point. I mean Danny did too, But you know, there's just too much space between the three center backs and the sixes and there's just so much space in there and the lack of awareness for either somebody to say come back or stay there and don't go up. And when you add a lack of awareness and a lack of pride and then you've got this. They just so disjointed in the three blocks. Yeah, and San Diego is able just to run roughshot whenever they want.
Speaker 8: I mean, I thought I was going to be the most critical one. But lack of awareness, lack of pride, lack of quality, lack of joy in this game right now. This is a team that's not having fun right there. And we got to talk about the second half ahead because listen, yeah, there's going to have to be a lot of changes in Brian Schmetzer. You think that he's probably lighting into him right now at Snapdragon Stadium. But three nothing, San Diego not pretty. I always mentioned that Sounders e FS Soccer is presented by Provident, Swedish official healthcare partner of Sounders FC. More next on the halftime show sports radio.
Speaker 3: And this see me.
Speaker 8: We are listening on the Sounders FC radio stream channel on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: At Umpqua Bank. Our business is about rooting for yours. Our bankers are experts at helping you navigate financial solutions centered around your business. As a top ranked SBA lender in Seattle, we believe that when small businesses grow, our communities thrive. Umquadbank is the official banking partner of Sounders FC. Visit umquadbank dot com to learn more. Member FDIC.
Speaker 11: Why is life better with American Family Insurance Because every policy comes with something very special, A trusted agent who's there to help protect your dreams by finding the right coverage at the right price. Save up to twenty three percent when you bundle home and auto American Family Insurance. Get a quote and find an agent at MFAM dot com.
Speaker 12: Products not available in every state. Visit MFM dot com so learn how discounts may apply to you. American Family Mutual Insurance Company sign is Operating Company six thousand. American Parkway, Madison, Wisconsin.
Speaker 4: Hey, they're Sounders fans. All of us at sound Transit love when you take the train to the match, but we want to remind you to use crosswalks and obey traffic signals near tracks. Trains are quieter than you expect. Travel in both directions, and approach at varying speeds that are difficult to judge. The amount of time you might say by ducking or going around a crossing gate isn't worth risking your life for. So next time you're buy a track, play it safe. That way we all win.
Speaker 5: A message from sound Transit.
Speaker 3: Sounders FC is proud to partner with Regent's Blue Shield, a health plan that's been helping keep Washington healthy for over one hundred years, and now two proud organizations are coming together, uniting under a shared mission. Both sounders FC and Regent's Blue Shield believe that a play is not a privilege. We will work hand in hand, leveraging the power of soccer to make a positive impact on children's lives. Sounders FC and Regent's Blue Shield champions on the pitch and in the community.
Speaker 1: If you've been having your McDonald's sausage with coffin with an iced coffee from somewhere else, now I should right time to reconsider.
Speaker 13: In the Pacific Northwest, it's never too cold for a nice coffee in the morning. Grab yourself a medium Carmel, French, Manila or Classic iced copy for just two twenty nine. Morning beverage may cause craving for McMuffin or hash Browns. Prices and participation may vary, cannot be combined with any other offer or combo meal.
Speaker 14: Sound Is Funds. Looking for behind the scenes content, interviews with your favorite pleasant coaches, and expa X's and o's analysis, make sure to check out the sound is FC podcast with the Captain Brad Evans and myself stee Zac Kwani.
Speaker 3: Whether you're a diehard Sounder, faithful, a lover of the beautiful game, or thinking of attending your first match at Lumenfield, this show is for you, with weekly episodes available wherever you get your podcasts. Check us out as your source of Sounder soccer across the sound.
Speaker 15: Join the put Go Sounders, Welcome back to the halftime Show, San Diego leading the Sounders by a score of three to nothing at Snapdragon Stadium.
Speaker 8: This copyrighted audio cast in Major League Soccer may not be retransmitted, reproduced, or rebroodcast without the express written consent of Major League Soccer. All right, well, you have a Danny Mazowski on the bench. You have Pedro de Levega who could maybe give you fifteen to twenty minutes, but Pete maz I guess the question going through my head right now is what can you do to get back in this game early in the second half.
Speaker 10: Well, I think the first thing you do in this situation, as the team is right, you look at the shirt you're wearing and say, you know what, I've got to earn the right to wear this shirt for the next forty five minutes.
Speaker 3: That's one.
Speaker 10: And then tactically you make a couple of good passes. I mean you say, okay, you know what, let's fine, it's zero zero, we know it's three zero. Let's make some passes in the middle from the back, and let's see if we can't take a couple of shots, and then get into the game and stay compact on defense.
Speaker 9: Tactically, maybe you go to two upfront. I don't know who those two are, if it's Missovski coming off the bench, and get go to a four to four to two so that we don't get as exposed as we have on the counter. You don't want to give up any more goals. I mean three nothing, they can park the bus the entire time. You gotta play a little quicker too. You cannot let San Diego get set get all those guys behind the ball. They are as confident and comfortable as any team I've seen playing out of the back in MLS, And so you gotta try to keep pushing on that and try to pick something off. But maybe it's getting two guys up front. Moz is right. You gotta look at the jersey and and Brian will say something the effective. If we don't put the effort out in the second half to represent this club, we're gonna have a big problem. And then I'm hoping in the locker room Albert Fry Christian rolled on, I'm open that there's something coming from the players as well.
Speaker 8: Michelob Ultra ninety five calories and two point six grams of carbs.
Speaker 3: It's only worth it if you enjoy it.
Speaker 8: Three nothing San Diego second half with Danny and Brad is next on the Sounders FC Radio stream channel on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 16: Want the same expert advice from the pros at a discount tire store while shopping for tires online, Meet Treadwell your Personal time Guide. Treadwell is an online tire buying guide that gives you personalized recommendations based on your location, driving habits, and tire performance. Just enter your vehicle info, zip code and driving routines, and then Treadwell will match you with the perfect tire for your vehicle. Shop for tires with Treadwell at discount tire dot com. Let's get you taken care.
Speaker 3: Of Providence in Sounders FC are proud to continue the Community Assist of the Match. The Community Assists of the Match will help elevate individuals and organizations who stand tall for justice, equality and community well being. Each match, Sounders FC and Providence will proudly recognize one exceptional nominee during an exclusive halftime feature. To nominate a hero in your community, Please visit soundersfc dot com slash Community Assist for a chance to be recognized as our Community Assist of the Match.
Speaker 4: Hey there, Sounders fans. All of us at sound Transit love when you take the train to the match, but we want to remind you to use crosswalks and bay traffic signals near tracks. Trains are quieter than you expect, travel in both directions, and approach at varying speeds that are difficult to judge. The amount of time you might save by ducking or going around a crossing gate isn't worth risking. Your life for so next time you're buy a track, play it safe.
Speaker 3: That way, we all win.
Speaker 5: A message from sound Transit.
Speaker 17: Life's better with American Family Insurance because whether it's a family road trip in your dream car or hosting a family reunion in your dream home, we help you feel protected so you can enjoy those dreams with peace of mind. Save up to twenty three percent when you bundle home and auto American Family Insurance. Get a quote and find an agent at amfam dot com.
Speaker 12: Products not available in every state visit mfam dot com so learn how discounts may apply to you. American Family Mutual Insurance Company s I and is operating company six thousand American Parkway Medison, Wisconsin.
Speaker 3: At Umpquahbank, our business is about rooting for yours. Our bankers are experts at helping you navigate financial solutions centered around your business. As a top ranked SBA lender in Seattle, we believe that when small businesses grow, our communities thrive. Umpquahbank is the official banking partner of Sounders FC. Visit umpquahbank dot com to learn more. Member FDIC sounders FC is proud to partner with Regent's Blue Shield, a health plan that's been helping keep Washington healthy for over one hundred years. And now two proud organizations are coming together, uniting under a shared mission. Both Sounders FC and Regent's Blue Shield believe that play is not a privilege. We will work hand in hand, leveraging the power of soccer to make a positive impact on children's lives. Sounders FC and Regent's Blue Shield champions on the pitch and in the community.
Speaker 1: Sounders fans to snap Dragon Stadium in San Diego and O what a toughest half that was for the Sounders. They trail three goals still against MLS New Boys San Diego FC.
Speaker 2: It was the second minute goal that got San Diego.
Speaker 1: Going by first CoV and it was good Joy in the forty first and then Lozano just before the halftime break. Seeing some changes happen already for the Sounders. We'll try and get you all of that as we get going. It's gonna be Danny Lava is gonna come on the field. Albert Rosneck has taken a seat. It was a quiet first half for Albert Rosnack, but Ryan Schmittz is making his move. Danny Labor coming on most likely alightful light switch. We'll see if Danny Lava drops a little bit deeper and maybe slides up either a Vargas or roll down.
Speaker 2: But I think to start his first half.
Speaker 1: Second half for the Sounders, it's about don't give anything else away. Can they find a way back in this game early and make a game of it for the Sounders And it's not gonna happen that way, but free kick giving up the Sounders. So for the Sounders, deepen their half of the field. So to mention one change for Brian Schmetz we wondered what Brian Schmittzho would do coming out in this second half. Last week against San Jose, he was a change at half time, JP off Danny Mussovski on. This time, it's a like for like switch midfielder for midfielder with Danny Laver coming on and Albert Rosneck going off. So let's get you that lineup. Stefan freying gold, Jamar Reagan knew who Alex Roldon made way in the first off. Kilaney coming on that right hand side, Obed rolled on Paul Rothrock as the Paul goes in and just eludes Ferrero's playing more central and then you're atacking three, it's gonna be Hazu's for Georgie Munongo and then Danny Laver coming on for Albert Rosneck as your third attacking midfield option to sit behind a Farrera or even a Mnongo depending if he goes back up to that number nine slot.
Speaker 2: And for mikey Varus and San.
Speaker 1: Diego dream first half again. It was three goals last week against LFC in the first half, got their first ever win here at Snapdragon Stadium for San Diego. And there was three goals in this game against MLS powerhouse Seattle Sounders. So for San Diego it's just Santos in goal, it's Luffel Send McVeigh, McNair, Negri good dooy goal scored to Verse Calf and then Della Tory and then Drea Valakari and Tucky Lazan who got that third goal right before the halftime break for his first ever goal for San Diego Jacks. Reagan gets pressure, so I as to go back to Stephan Frey, comes off Valacari over the end Line's gonna be a goal kick and Brad Evans I was asking you a halftime what would Brian schmiz to say in this moment, would it be an arm around the shoulder?
Speaker 2: I doubt it's going to be that.
Speaker 1: Is it going to be fireworks in the hair dry treatment?
Speaker 3: Well, if our producer can throw in some noises for us, I could go on for probably three minutes, it's not gonna be. It wasn't a welcome halftime speech. I can guarantee you that, and certainly wasn't happened without happy with Albert in that first half, and whether it was due to unhappiness or just maybe athleticism being on the field, and he expects Danny to stay more centrally so that they can really shore up and go three for three in the middle middle of the pitch. But San Diego comes out hot already and putting the Sounders under pressure now. And what they'll do now is they've got the gamesmanship right. They're gonna push in the right moments. They're gonna be able to switch the point of attack like they're doing here, and Chooky's gonna take over the game and find pockets and San Diego is gonna put them under pressure. And now the Sounders have to be up to the challenge right, make it respectable. That's what I would be telling the guys as we come in for our little huddle before this. It's like, guys, we start with one and then we continue to move on from there, right, But we don't get one without doing the things right that we need to. And so just just do the small things right and we'll get a good chance. And yes, you've got to finish the chance, of course, but if we don't do the little things right, whether the it's challenging for every single ball finding something to play for at this point and just taking pride in wearing the jersey. Otherwise it's going to be a long second half of the summers.
Speaker 1: And I was going to ask you that fifty years that we celebrated last year. Lots of players coming through the franchise over that fifty years spell, and the one thing that I think each and every player probably recognizes is about the Sounders is playing with pride, playing pride with that shirt. That's probably something that Brian Schwritz is gonna lean on, certainly for his players is respond the right way, respond the way that a Sounder would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it comes. What you're seeing now is just complacency.
Speaker 1: Bull towards the end line to Luffel sense sline tackle boy Knew who bull doesn't go out eventually doesn't this near side assistant Refreez flight goes up, go kick Sounders three nil to San Diego bred.
Speaker 3: Evans and once it is just two lacks. There's no sense of urgency here from Jackson playing out of the back and it's a it's a pass that goes right to the feet of good Doy sitting on top of the box. And so at some point de Schmid say, hey, just sit on the bench and watch from the sideline for a little bit, because you have to have guys in there that are gonna fight for every sing ball and that are going to show that they want to be out there. And yes, it's three nothing down, it's daunting, but there's still something to be had in this half.
Speaker 2: Georgie, looking to make a running behind it does find roth left.
Speaker 1: Corner of the box. Ball goes in to George isn't able to.
Speaker 2: Quite make it.
Speaker 1: Sliding recovery from the back line for San Diego or cleared up the field picked up by new who Rigo's free of Valacari has the ball left corner of the box, rolls it out to Rothrock, drops his right shoulder, goes towards the end line with his left foot, clips it in. Somehow, whether it's a crossbar or a flailing hand of Desantos, somehow clears the ball finds the foot of San Diego player or back here by Lozano puts Neggi a little bit of spot of bother. But San Diego, as they did all first half, they got out of that pressure well and not the ball over the top and the ball gets clipped through new Who it's got the pace on Drea lays it back to Stephan Fry rolls it out fast side to Yima.
Speaker 3: No, that was well done by new who right we asked of him in the first half. When the ball is on the opposite side of the field, you must tuck in and provide cover for your other two center backs. If that was in the first half, knew who would have been out of position and that would have been a free chance on goal for San Diego. So I think at halftime they shored up things in the backs. They knew who just stay home a little.
Speaker 1: Bit picked up left side by Obed Vargas as Rothrock got his pocket pick, but the Sounders have it top of the eighteen yard box. Ferrera, you're defending by Delatroy, homegrown product coming back on loan from Celta Vigo. Sounders habit with Kolani came on the field, joined the first half for Alex. Roldan picks up an injury, Paul goes into Georgie. Assistant referees flag on the far side does go up. Georgie just inched off side. The Sounders trying to thread the needle inside the eighteen yard box as they try and find a.
Speaker 2: Way back into this game.
Speaker 1: As we get here in the fifty second minute, Sounders trailing three goals to nil. We're on the Sounders FC stream on the iHeartRadio app. Wherever you're joining us, we appreciate it. It's gonna be a slug of a second half of the sound as players, they're gonna have to find some pride. Can they find a way back in the game. As Lufelsen goes down nursing, it looks like maybe a back injury of sorts, and the medical stuff come on.
Speaker 3: It could have been from Rothrock's challenge earlier on in the game, and initially you feel it in the back and then it moves to the hip. But we watched the replay before that and the sounders build up and Colonne found himself inside the box but not checking his shoulder. There's no one around him, and instead feels like he has to play that ball to Georgia, who ends up being on side. And that's the recognition. If that was Trucku Lozano in that position, I think he turns and his first thought is how do I get to goal? Right? And you bring in an inexperienced player like Keilaney. He's got all the technical talent in the world. He did it against LAFC. Why not go for goal? You're down three to nothing, take your chance. Your first thought's got to be how do I get to goal in this situation?
Speaker 1: Well, Tucky Lozano is actually it is spelled Chucky and is after the Child's play character. When he was an eleven year old at Pachuca. His teammates thought he reminded that of Chucky, whether it was what he looked like or how he acted, how he played.
Speaker 2: I remember that Charles Player was.
Speaker 1: Actually the first horror movie I watched.
Speaker 2: The kid absolutely fright and.
Speaker 3: He still sticks with you.
Speaker 2: It still sticks with.
Speaker 1: Me, but he's been a thorn in the side of the Sounders. Picked up that third goal right before the first half. End of the first half as luveless and can't even make it off. The field goes down. It's going to be some change for San Diego as he hobbles off with some assistance of the medical staff.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Tonight's match is presented by the Western Washington Toyota Dealers, and Brian Schmittzer will be looking at his bench as the players get warmed up down to the left hand side of the Sounders bench.
Speaker 3: Danny, did you ever as a as a player, you're a starting center back. The team goes out and signs another center back who's well known throughout the team, who's won a championship, and now all of a sudden, you've got j Bell, You've got Kim on the bench. Does that ever do anything? Cite psyched wise to your brain as you're as you're playing, right, You're still a young kid, and Jackson has done really well. He's been up there as possibly a defender of the year. He's gotten called into some national teams team camps. But I remember as soon as the team signed someone coming in, whether it was Ramon Torres, whoever it was, I always felt something, you know, kind of hunting me down, no matter how good I was playing.
Speaker 1: And yeah, it's two ways to respond, right you either kind of going to a cocoon and you can play with a little bit of fear maybe and it changes your game, or with all your sleeves up and try and prove why you are that player that you have been tagged to be in the Sounder's lineup right now.
Speaker 2: It's been a tough star.
Speaker 1: As you mentioned, it was the first game against Charlotte where it's a poor giveaway by Jackson that cost the Sounders three points in that final minutes of the game at home. It has been a bit of a spluttering start. But you know, as you know, consistency is the hardest thing to find in any type of professional sport, and Jackson's had a good couple of seasons and a bit of adversity. Can he face that adversity positively and turn things around. He's gonna have a chance to do that again is he gets pulled out a position the sunder You're Hay with Delatroy right side with Joy who tries to flick it to the backside. Valacari inches away from connecting, skips through past Seffron Fry's goal over the end line.
Speaker 2: You see the change for San Diego.
Speaker 1: Lufflesen does come off and is Willy Kimodo is gonna come on the field like for like switch.
Speaker 3: Well you saw it there on that play. Is San Diego had ten men on the field, but you still see an open player down this right flank with Jackson getting pulled out of position, roth Rock high up the field, and now you're still left with two center backs sitting back, and all of a sudden, here comes San Diego right back down your throat.
Speaker 1: Giveaway down the left hand side is Delatoy towards the end, then gets nudged in the bat by Yema. Crowds asking for some type of foul on Delatory inside the eighteen yard box.
Speaker 2: Referee doesn't give anything.
Speaker 1: Sounders come away with it, trying to counter down the right hand side. For the Sounders, there's Georgie hugging the far touchline, picks the ball up on his feet. They'll step over towards the right corner box.
Speaker 2: So Farrera needs to strike.
Speaker 1: It, and that's a player lacking confidence Ferrera. A couple of years ago, Brad would have taken that one touch and then smashed it with his second touch. It was in two minds where they laid off, almost felt like he didn't want to shoot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you should have brought it that first touch with the right foot, bring it to the left and then you have a goal on goal. But like you said, just not confident just yet. Still needs to find that one and get off the mark for the Sounders an MLS play.
Speaker 1: Yep, no goal so far for Heesus Ferrara coming into the new squad. Of course, Sonny has spent his whole career at FC Dallas to assist on. His campaign so far for his new team.
Speaker 2: Was productive in those Conker Calf games.
Speaker 1: Got some good performances off side for against the Sounders. It's gonna be free kicked for San Diego as they here in the fifty seventh minute Snapdragon Stadium. Three goals to nail, all scored in the first half. We'll see on a replay Georgia just switched off for a minute a couple of yards off signed easy call by the assistant a referee.
Speaker 3: I think Heyesus's best attributes are getting into the little pockets and creating from there, and then the Sounders just haven't had the ability to find him in the right pockets. Right. We know that he's a good player, we know that he can do it. He's got the track record in Major League Soccer, came from a pretty successful FC Dallas team, especially a few years ago. And now the Sounders have to figure out a way to get him isolated, right And they've tried him on the wing, they've tried him up top. Is it time to pull him back a line and have him play as a ten? That something's got to change for him to be successful, right, Because he's the most frustrated player in the whole situation is he's brought in to be a goal scorer, provide assists and it just hasn't worked out the ways he's wanted to in the first seventy eight games of this MLS season.
Speaker 1: And the conundon for Brian and his staff is that the Sounders coming into this weekend's game, had the second most scoring attempts in MLS. So as much as we feel like they're spluttering in the attacking third of the field over the last couple of weeks. They still being a threat on goal, but probably not including the likes of Ferrero, who still trying to find his way in this new team. As bull goes down the left hand side for San Diego, ball goes into Valcari looking for it, cut out by the Sounders, defended well by a combination of Vargas and Kilany. All goes back to Yemar. Pressure by Valacari, given up by the Sounders. Sloppy again by the Sounders, picked up by goalscorer diverse CoV. It was the Della Tory cut inside back to diverse CoV San Diego and joined their football right now. Ball top of the box of Valacari closed down by Jackson O Reagan towards the end ninety goes Jackson almost it looks like he caught Valacari. Valcari felt pressure went down, Referee didn't buy it, goes over the end line.
Speaker 2: Goalkick.
Speaker 1: San Diego lead three goals to no.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but again you look up, Oh, he actually On the replay of that Paul Rothrock chip ball across he punches that ball out, doesn't come off the crossbar.
Speaker 1: The Santos is ross Rock left side of the eighteen yard box. Good switcher play by the sound is challenged by Willie down the left hand side comes back to Danny Laver's substitute at halftime. Can he get involved? Can he continue to pick up on his performances solid starts at.
Speaker 2: His campaign as well?
Speaker 1: When being called upon as Danny Leaver Josh Attenci of course left just before the season started. Vote a confidence for Danny Lavers borgo top of the box to roll down just again. The Sounders just find themselves in these offside positions. They try to find those pockets of space. Fast side assistant referee puts that flag up giving off side in a free kick for San Diego.
Speaker 3: A couple of players before that right, Jaymar does so well to intercept that ball and then he gets pass back, gets a ball at his feet, takes a few seconds and by then San Diego. That's what they want you to do. They're gonna come and press. They're hunting right. They're four for four on this side in that last attack. That's what they want you to They want complacency on the ball and the Sounders have been baited into that trap.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing is it's been impressive is the manner in which they have stepped together as a unit and for a new team, new group of players to be able to be so in synct defensively.
Speaker 2: It's good coaching.
Speaker 1: Lots of work done on the practice field a during pre season, of course, but I've got some experienced players and McVeigh and McNair anchoring the middle of that back four.
Speaker 3: Freeland, he might as well take the jersey home with him at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Frank curtinegri free kick for the Sounders, easy call by the referee.
Speaker 3: So now, if I'm Georgie Manounga, I know that this left back has a yellow card. If I'm the Sounders, give me the ball every single time, let me run at him. Let me bait him into a challenge. At least give me four or five six opportunities in this half to draw maybe another yellow card. Right, You got to get at any guy in the back line that has a yellow card, especially wide.
Speaker 2: Players wore comes in header just whine by Yemar.
Speaker 1: It was a really good delivery from the outside on the Sounders right and it was Yemar ten yards or so from the goal. Try to flick it to the far post. Evaded. The goal went over the end line.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a goalkick.
Speaker 1: Double substitution now for the sound As Brian Schmittz are making his move here on the sixtieth minute, Georgia Munungo comes off the field. Dela Vega now on the field. We wondered if he would get a call up coming back from injury.
Speaker 2: With Brian Schmetz to.
Speaker 1: Nurse him back when the game is somewhat out of reach, but nope, he comes on. Jesus Ferrara is going to sit on the bench. Denny Maussovski comes on. I think Ferrera's another frustrating night. He's gonna have to sit there and just absorb. Another frustrating evening for Ferrera. And now the Sounders put some high press and it's Dela Vega's first involvement.
Speaker 3: It's a good header from Yemar right, great delivery. I think Danny label was on delivery on that one. Jamar steps in, just skips past the far post. And if the Sounder's got that one, you think they're at least two more are in their bag.
Speaker 1: With defending by Willie was Danny Laber tries to slip the ball through the right between the right back and the center back, cut out well by the back line as Danny Labor comes back to support, wins the ball off Valakari finish international. It's a good, good start to his San Diego career. Two goals, three assists, National team player for Finland, part of the twenty twenty Euro squad, playing through the middle. Not a typical number nine that those three attacking players bred in Lozano, Drea and Valacari really do interconnect world. There's no true our and out number nine. They seem very similar players, but they seem to shift and move and cause all sorts of problems, certainly for the Sounders to.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a great thing about a four three three the three up top at some point don't really it doesn't matter where they play, and they're very similar players in that regard, and especially when you stretch the field, it's really putting the Sounders under pressure with three in the back. And so the way that San Diego has played tonight has really been impressive. Right They basically said we're gonna play with four in the back, pull down the.
Speaker 1: Right hand side for Delatroit to run after knew who feels the pressure goes down. It you mentioned a couple of times that experience. As Delatroy runs across, gets a silly yellow card for Delatory. It was a foul giving up deep in the sound as half for the field, and it was not a yellow card for the fowl. It was a little pushing the bat by Delatroy, but it was him getting involved kicking the ball away preventing new who from playing the ball quickly gets a yellow card. Second yellow card of the night for San Diego, with Negri already on a yellow.
Speaker 3: And so San Diego said, we're gonna sit with four in the back and you six just go and hunt, hunt for the ball. We're gonna cover you, especially if the Sounders really only play with one high and now in Danny Mussovski, go ahead, go hunt for the ball. Keep let's keep seattle on one side of the field. Look here, the all six are shaded all the way over to one side of the field. And now the Sounders have to find this outlet. They've got to notice switch the point of attack, and they do. If you can break that pressure, things start to open up. If you do it two or three times, it doesn't have to happen every single time, but it provides more opportunities for every player on the field.
Speaker 1: For the Sounders, good long ball by Knew who cut out well by McVeigh as he will looped over his shoulder, hooked it clear. Sounders pick it up in there, attacking half of the field now with Obed Vargas quiet.
Speaker 2: First half from.
Speaker 1: Obed again, he continues to evolve and improve as a player.
Speaker 2: I mean what I find he's been. He's still so young.
Speaker 1: As the bull's giving up by Yamo, I was pushing further up the field. Of course, as Yemo got to involve further up as new Who did in the first half, There's gonna be spaces in behind for Sen and the eager took spoit. But for the Sounders the three nil down and if you're going to get yourself back in the game, you have to take some chances. Twenty five minutes left of the ninety Sounders training three goals to nil and the score update is presented by Toyota. Roll Don has the middle of the park, breaks the line fans. Obed on the half turn rolls it out to this near side to rothrock down. Labor and support overlapping run by Obed just All caught under his feet. They able to recover, Finds rolled on short ball into Jackson Riggan getting involved now Sounders in the attacking third of the field. Eleven men behind the ball for San Diego defending their three goal leads mentioned. Three goals scored against La have seen the first half last week. Three goals scored against the Sounders in the first half tonight.
Speaker 3: Look how deep san Diego is too. All ten players fifteen yards dropped into their own half. And we've seen this before. Teams come to Seattle happy to sit back, absorb pressure and try to play for the counter. And there's nothing better as two center backs or a back line for San Diego. If you're just gonna sit and knock the ball side to side, it's gonna be an easy night for us.
Speaker 1: Rolled down out to this near sight to de la Vega getting thirty minutes of action tonight. As he builds himself back to full finis, he tries to wriggle clear clatches into McNair, goes down a little bit too easy, goes down and then she gets back up. Big central defender from the UK Northern Ireland International.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be another change for San Diego.
Speaker 1: But as they're making the change, do Zarno's had his moment in the spotlight and the end of that first half, his first golf for San Diego. He's gonna come off the field to rapturous applause, then exciting Alex Maighten. It started last couple of games. He's gonna come on that left hand side, so like for like switch. As much as Lozano was impressive, mine has been impressive as well as joining his performances.
Speaker 3: I think Lozano was fantastic tonight. You see just what kind of quality he has, and that's that's experience, right, playing in the Dutch Eda Visi for so long, and really his technical ability is pretty unmatched on the field, and a player like that is gonna do well in Major League soccer. You sprinkle it in with a back four that's happy to sit and just defend and let the guys in front in front of them attack and do what they need to do.
Speaker 2: And you saw it in that goal.
Speaker 1: It was that subtle first touch that cut across Jackson regateve took him out of the play completely and then he had nothing more to do. And that's a dangerous challenge by Danny Lavor. It's a yellow card, but you could hear bred Evans just gasp for a minute.
Speaker 2: We've seen those be read.
Speaker 1: Of course, er, we'll do a check and the last thing the sounder is need now is to go down to ten men against say surging San Diego team and kind of wrapped it around his leg.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the studs up that make it a dangerous play. And we'll see if they look at this one again. But Danny Labor, obviously frustrated Schmid's told him to get inside and make a couple tackles. It was fortunate.
Speaker 1: One more change for San Diego to mention Hamedidop. Former Charlotte man comes on the field. Light for light switch for Franco Negri, who was on a yellow card. So protecting Negre against Adela Vega's.
Speaker 2: Gonna slide on that right hand side.
Speaker 1: Quick play by good doy on this near side off the deck, free kick ball goes to the far side. Here comes might and good defending by Jackson Reagan. That's he defend. Jackson comes across, solid challenge, takes it off the toe of Mighten. But again the sound is getting caught out by a simple long ball that happened in the first half when Stefan Freim mad an incredible save, strong right left hands of that particular save when the ball went over the top of Kilane direct from a free kick that time was Drea. This timmers from Kadoi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's another tough one, right. It comes from a set piece ten yards inside San Jose's half and all of a sudden with one kick, the balls in behind. And maybe it was Kilanie getting caught out of position in San Diego's front three year behind Matin with a better touch slots at bottom corner. But Jackson Reagan, like you said, does well to step in and make it make a strong challenge.
Speaker 1: Sound As FC Soker is presented by Provident, Swedish official healthcare partner of Sounders FC. So let's get you some of these Western Conference games and results that are coming through. An early game between Salt Lake and La Galaxy. La Galaxy continue to struggle. Champions last year, they're not looking like champions this year. Went down to nil against Salt Lake Atlanta.
Speaker 2: One Dallas one.
Speaker 1: Dallas, of course, the opponent for the Sounders next Saturday in Dallas, Jesus Rare will go back to his old stomping grounds. Austin nil, Portland nil, Houston one, LAFC nil. Vancouver continue their ride up the top of the Western Conference, winning two nil against Colorado and then Kansas City two nil winners.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: Of course, the big news coming out of Kansas as Peter Vermes having been at the club's technical director GM and head coaches two thousand and nine, longest tenured coach in MLS by a country mile. The performance I think it was fourteen games without a win as Danny Masoski goes up from a free kick, floats aheader towards Dos Santos, easily collected by the goalkeeper.
Speaker 2: Let's get to Peter Vermese.
Speaker 1: You also spent time briefly in Kansas City, but it was about time. It felt like he was coming for some time. And eventually Peter Vmese loses his job and carries a Wagnin who is his trusted number two, comes in as you know, temporary coach until they figure out which direction they get to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Look, you know, I have all the respect in the world for Peter, and they just never were able to shift after you know, Johnny Russell was in his prime twenty eighteen. They could just never find their feet again after that, and once Graham Zusie retired, Roger Espinoza, you know, Matt Beeesler left the team. It was really hard for them to find an identity and find guys who you associated with Kansas City and don't I still don't think that they have that just quite yet. And that'll be Carrie's job. And whoever steps into the helm after him maybe goes. He goes on a run and he's the guy to take over. That's that fresh new blood.
Speaker 1: It comes to Lavaca, goot strong play, shrugs up to first go top of the box.
Speaker 2: He goes, goes top of the.
Speaker 1: To Danny Lave. He kick easy call by the referee, just standing a handful of yards away.
Speaker 2: Good Doy puts his hands up in the air. He wasn't easy called.
Speaker 1: Danny Lava miscontrolled the initial ball from Dela Vega managed to flick the ball away, gets brought down inside the d top of the box.
Speaker 2: Chance for the sound is to get a.
Speaker 1: Goal back here in the seventy second minute as they trailed three goal with Neil Bret Evans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a good move from Pedro de la Vega. Here he had Danny Musovski kind of looked him off and that pass wasn't intended for Lava. But he steps in, takes a touch and good Day has to foul in that situation as his body weights just carrying him away from Danny Lava with a good touch coming across his body. And now the Sounder's in a good position just outside the eighteen about a yard and we'll see if Danny steps up to take this one or Pedro. But Danny's been good on free kicks in past, But who knows whoever wears the number ten usually ends up taking these free kicks from.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming Bocks.
Speaker 1: You're thinking Danny Lava, not Danny Musovsky.
Speaker 3: Danny Lava.
Speaker 2: That's right, Well it's Della Vega taking three steps back, of course.
Speaker 1: His first game for the Sounders was when he rolled the ball in the back of the neck, came off the bench against LAFC. Started the twenty four season, scored from a pk. This sound for a free kick, whips his foot around, it comes off the wall, goes over the end line. Cornerkick Sounders six man wall of San Diego stood strong, protecting their goalkeeper, protecting their lead, protecting their clean sheet. Sounders trailing three goals to nil, just under twenty minutes to go. Seventy third minute here Snapdragon Stadium, Sounders FC stream on the iHeartRadio app next week.
Speaker 2: Third straight away game.
Speaker 1: For the Sounders before they come back home, go on the road to Dallas. You have to find a way out of this funk right now, four games without a win. Ball gets whipped in, headed clear by Teverskov, easily collected. Now Maighten runs through free kick given by the referee, felt like a shoulder to shoulder might and went down and like Christian rolled On, gives up the free kick, arguing his case with the referee. It's going to allow the Sounder is to get back in position. But as the Sounds trying to find a way back in this game, Brad, it feels like the mountain is getting a little.
Speaker 2: Bit higher as the minutes ticked by.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fifteen minutes ago. Now you're playing for pride and the Sounders still have it in him. You see Danny Leva putting pressure consistently over the field, and for the boys, I think it's just stay focused, stay healthy, and let's see if we can get one. Let's see if we can get one. Play with some pride. Like I said, play for the badge, which should be givens right. But when you watch a game like this and they start the way that they did, you have to ask those questions realistically. At the end of the day, are you playing for the right reasons? Are you complacent? Did you think it was going to be a rollover because it's an expansion side They just played to LA teams? Was it just because they played LA teams? It's that California rivalry that boosted them, But certainly not. It looks like San Diego is a real deal. They've been playing collective and they've done well tonight. I think now Schmetz is the longest serving head coach in Major League Soccer with Peter Vermis. He is exit.
Speaker 1: Yep, some of twenty sixteen. Of course, it's not ever forget he came in. I think it was that performance down in twenty sixteen against Kansas City. There was Ziggi's last game. Schwetz came in. It was gainst Ellie Galaxy. His first game. It was a drawer at home Luminfield Valdez came played in the point of that four two three one that Brian Schwetz has been so committed to over the years as Santego play with fire again but again get themselves out eventually clear their lines picked up by Yema.
Speaker 3: But listen, I think you have to be impressed with San Diego's commitment to playing out of the back, and like we said, in the first half, they've been playing with fire and but once they feel that little bit of pressure, they send the ball along right and they're happy to defend in their block of ten behind the ball.
Speaker 1: Well, San Diego, as we mentioned, new franchise in MLS five hundred plus million dollars to acquire the franchise. Main investor there's an English based Egyptian businessman. There's a plethora of different investors throughout their investment group and they're interconnected to the Right to Dream partnership, which includes Danish club norgier Land, which a number of these players on the field now and on the bench and who have played have been in that system, including new signing Milano LESCo, who's a San Diego native, came in from Denmark just a couple of days ago. They announced that signing the academies in Ghana, academies in San Diego, academies in Denmark. So San Diego now have it with Valakari Finnish International cuts it back to Willie across the six yard box. Board bounces around. Fry shouts off KNW who clects to ball.
Speaker 3: Well, now San Diego can play as free as they want, right they know that there's four ten minutes left, up three nothing. We've seen this from the Sounders at home. Those are my favorite games to play. And you're up three to nothing at home, why not why not have some fun? You play and move. The team you're playing against is demoralized at this point, just hoping to get this game over with and you can play free at the end of the day. Right, you can play free.
Speaker 1: We don't leave us at halftime, Jackson Pete Mars will be back to break.
Speaker 2: There's been a painful evening in San Diego for the Sounders.
Speaker 1: Slightly more solid second half, but for the Sounders, the hole was dug in that first half, starting in that second minute.
Speaker 2: Which is the be the most frustrating thing for a coach.
Speaker 1: You have a whole week of practice, have a game plan in place and it all goes out the window to some extent, but the ball goes in behind plut you well by McVeigh who wriggles free of de la Vega, try to find Mussovski in the hole given away by McVeigh, picked up by this as Kalani to rolled down looking for options, goes to Vargas twenty five yards from goal, left of center, goes to Rothrock, whips it in with his right foot towards the back stick, one bounce over the end line, goal kick, San Diego. They lead three goals to nil, and this score update is presented by Toyota bred Evans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just disjointed, right, I think that's been the theme for tonight. And when you're playing wide like Paul Rothrock does, it's it's a difficult position because you're counted on to create most of the attack for the Sounders, right, you have to go wide, especially with San Diego. San Diego having so many numbers in the middle of the pitch, they're happy for things to go wide. They know that they've got four in the back, they got two big center backs and they'll clean pretty much everything up. And Rothrock just you know you're ten minutes left in this one about and you're trying to get that space for yourself and the service just doesn't come off. Now it's his chance to create.
Speaker 1: That's Rothrock tries to find the ball, doesn't miss the first man, goes down to the deck to try and win the ball. He'sily collected by San Diego and diverse Off just clips it down the line to Valacari and then experience Panamanian international. Goodoys, of course, spent many years in San Jose, clears the lines of San Diego, finds the foot of Jackson Reagan and managed to find the ball into Musovsky goes down to the deck outside the box. Nothing given by the referee.
Speaker 2: San Diego move forward, try to flick the ball through.
Speaker 1: Stephan Fry comes out with his box, flips the ball, give us the ball away straight to Goodoy looks up as Fry scrambles back in his goal.
Speaker 2: Nothing there.
Speaker 1: Ball goes into Matin tries to wriggle free of Yemar, then goes down. It's gonna be an.
Speaker 2: Easy yellow card.
Speaker 1: It was a clumsy challenge, if nothing else by the San Diego winger. The sub takes down Yema gets to yellow card free kick Sounders and they continue to trail as we ticked to the eightieth minute mark, ten minutes to go over. The ninety Founders want to just get this one over with, pack their bags, fly home, hopefully find a way.
Speaker 2: To shake this one off.
Speaker 1: And it's Knew who said they just need to find a win, find some confidence, and then they have the quality to get going, going to run. They just got to get over that hunt.
Speaker 3: Well, it's only gonna get more difficult, right, you got another game on the road in Dallas. You don't really have a home stand until late in May, and so the Sounders have to figure out how to pick up points on the road. They'd have been happy with a draw tonight, I think, looking back on this one, but you see it again. The way that the front three play for San Diego is very fluid, like you said, and it's it's much different for the Sounders. The front three. For the Sounders, you don't see them interchange all that often, if any throughout a game. The wingers are required to be wingers, and if you're a winger six or seven times and a half, you've got to be providing service in dangerous service out there. Otherwise you might as well just be a defender at the end of the day and play five in the back and just sit back and connect your passes and find more attacking players to put on the field.
Speaker 2: Bull giving away by rolled On un characteristic of rolled On.
Speaker 1: It's just being one of the Knights. Unfortunately for the Sounders. He gives the ball up, commits the foul. It's gonna be a free kip for San Diego. Inside the they're attacking third of the field, another chance to get the ball in the box. Big men come up, Diverskov McVeigh, McNair, a couple of subs for San Diego. Andreas Drea goes off, Thomas Anghell, former LAFC man, comes on.
Speaker 2: All gets clipped in headed clear by Yemar. Then Luca de la.
Speaker 1: Torre, san Diego native as you mentioned, good lively game for him, Tonight who comes off the field, and Alvarado Junior comes on.
Speaker 2: Signed from Portugal. Let's have all the players brand new to the squad. So what was signed earlier than others.
Speaker 1: Some were signed as early as the summer of twenty four as decided to build their team, one of them being Alex Maighten, the sub who came in from Notts Forest signed in August of twenty four.
Speaker 3: If you can bring in a guy like Luca de la right, he's got national team experience, he's played in big leagues throughout the world, he's from San Diego. It seems in the first seven eight games of this season that San Diego has done just about everything right to build this team. And you can tell by the way that they played together, right. I think that's if you're just listening to this game. It looks like a group that has played together for years and that's really impressive for an expansion side to come in with the expectations of a big club, a big market like San Diego. It's always tough. We thought it was going to be tough to compete with Tijuana, the teams in Mexico, but they've really staked a claim and done well, as evident by this pack stadium.
Speaker 1: Well, the sound is gonna have to find some form. It's just a couple of months away to the Club World Cup.
Speaker 2: One of those opponents in the.
Speaker 1: Group stage, Paris and German One League earn championship today.
Speaker 2: All goes in via San Diego.
Speaker 1: You know, get much more difficult than what we would consider the group of death vote to fo Go first game, then Athletico Madrid, who looks so good both in Champions League play where they were narrowly beaten by Reil Madrid and penalties, and that crosstown rivalry, and then the fighting for La Liga championship this year alongside Barcelona and Real Madrid. So Sounders is gonna have to find their form, have to find their confidence. Plenty of time to do it, but Sounder's gonna do it. And can they find a little bit of energy as the players like Jordan Morris come back, de la Vega gets fully fit. It's getting some time on the field today. Read Baker Whiting down this left hand side. Now, sub just came on for Paul Rothrock given away by Massovski asking for help. Nothing there, just rolls the ball into the foot of Matin, who decides to help out the Sounders by giving the ball up. And here come the Sounders again down the left hand side in their green shirts. San Diego have had three what could be three marquee wins against Western Conference West Coast teams LAFC.
Speaker 2: LA Galaxy and tonight against the Sounders so.
Speaker 1: No jitary moments from San Diego in these early parts of the season that talks about coming out the gates.
Speaker 2: Flying, They certainly have done that.
Speaker 1: He've been there, thirty five thousand fans packed in here at Snapdragon Stadium, happy. De la Vega flicks around the corner, does win the foul, It's gonna be a free kip for sounders on the right channel. By how many d up?
Speaker 3: It'll be a positive tonight to get read onto the field. Right. We haven't seen him for such a long time, a kid that's battled a lot of injuries, and one thing that Schmetz has said is that he just hadn't grown into his body just yet. Right, he's still growing into his body, and anytime you're a professional athlete, right, the strain that you're putting on your body, it just didn't have a chance to catch up to him. So he's now had a full off season to get right and it's great to see him back and hopefully stay healthy. Pedro de la Vega back on the field, and we thought he might not even play today.
Speaker 1: Ball whipped him by Danny Labor along the six yard line cleared by the back line for San Diego and Matin picked up by Danny Labor throws it back to Klan. He's had a good run out today coming on the field in the first half for Alex Roldan.
Speaker 2: It comes read first.
Speaker 1: Involvement strike, so the right foot deflected off McVeigh.
Speaker 2: Knew ask him for the ball. I think read Baker White.
Speaker 1: He did the right thing, but looks like he may have inched off side.
Speaker 2: We'll just see a replay here.
Speaker 1: Paul gets headed up. Quite sure what the fowl is, but Paul did ricochet off McVeigh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it looked like they called the foul and on knew who there maybe for bumping or a hand extended. Looked like two players jumping up fighting for that one.
Speaker 1: Of course knew who was asking for the ball off Reid, but I think we did the right thing. Dropped his left shoulder coming is right. It won the corner, but as we mentioned, the referee gives the foul on knew who When Dos Santos, the goalkeeper clears his lines, goes long, headed down by Neuhue and then back to Stefan Frye off the foot of Kilaney.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: This copyrighted audio casts of Major League Soccer may not be retransmitted, reproduced, or rebroadcast without the express written consent of Major League Soccer. Just under five minutes of regular time to go here at Snapdragon Stadium, San Diego Sounders trailing three goals to nil, and this score update is presented by provident Swedish. Danny Lever has it on this near side, flicks it down inside to Kilane, who's actually obed. Vargash had moved forward, couldn't collect it. Backline of San Diego. Have it with Willie rolls it back to McVeigh six yards from the end line, just inside the eighteen yard books.
Speaker 2: It's not what you want to do. Bull goes to Musovsky.
Speaker 1: Had a chance from six yards. Oh yeah, it passive ast the goalkeeper keeping me in a good say cornickick Sounders.
Speaker 2: But that is the best chance of the game so far for the Sounders.
Speaker 1: And there's a quick corner delivered in by Danny Labor towards a fastick and that's not going to do anything. It bounces once over the farst side goal kick San Diego. But that was at last the press worked. Sound has won the ball, but they couldn't capitalize.
Speaker 3: Here's the press here they just get caught with no outlets. Sounders do a good job marking up man for man obed with the sliding tackle. Danny Mussovski is in advance of the near post and he's in the right position. He's got all the time in the world there, and that's a striker. Once again, that just isn't that confident. I think if you've got ten twelve goals, you draw that ball back, you're one on one. Maybe other opportunity to slip another guy that's with you in the box. But look at this, just four or five yard passes inside the box.
Speaker 1: Give it away, giving it away again, there's Kilaney, there's the left foot inside the eighteen. He had a chance to wrap his left foot around it, did it so well against LAFC and it was a.
Speaker 2: No look shot with his left foot. This time he goes high and wide. Goal kick.
Speaker 3: But here's that four yard pass playing out of the back. Klane steps in a good position and this one you just have to step through, keep it on the ground and find a corner.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Brad tun Off minutes to go of the ninety will see what the referee ades.
Speaker 2: But if you're to Santos.
Speaker 1: You want to get a clean sheet, and it feels like by playing it so short, you think at some point he's gonna knocke it loong try and preserve that clean sheet, and Stephen Fry would lose his mind. The Sounder's giving up a goal so late in the game. Is a strike from Danny Lava, very ambitious, thirty yards or so, left of sense, It goes wide, goal kick options to his right, options to left, to his left, took the shot remains three nil San Diego.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Dos Santos hit his first one long about three minutes ago, and that was the first one long in the entire day. And then they go short twice get punished. And it's actually wildly impressive to me to see San Diego try and play out of the back every single time, and you don't you don't see the coach up on the sideline tune them kick it long or whatever. Maybe no guys are throwing their hands up in the air, so it's in their DNA. That's how they're gonna play. They're sticking to it. And the Sounders with two clear cut chances with inside two minutes, all right, you can't say, they haven't had at least a couple of chances in this one.
Speaker 1: As you said, there's only a handful of US based players, and so there's no intimidation factor with the Sounders.
Speaker 2: They're playing out of the back.
Speaker 1: The Sounders obviously have a legacy history in MLS, so much success over the last ten years. And there's Jackson ring and a little loose on the ball. Then she cleared by Stephan Fry. But yes, Sandio continue to play. So far, looks like a great addition to the Western Conference is going to be really competitive this year.
Speaker 2: Is Saint Louis Wrede.
Speaker 1: Just a couple of seasons ago they won the Western Conference as a brand new franchise, so much harder to follow that up with the second year, and they did not perform well in that second year. The head coach got fired halfway through. Nashville of course, had a solid first year as well, but played more defensively. San Diego feel like they're playing much more expensive football, so they'll keep the fans inside the stadium happy. They can score three goals every single game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if they keep this up there, they're going to do really well in this Western Conference. And the superpowers that were in the Western Conference. It seems to be shaken up this year, just a little bit, a little bit unexpected. I think he had Sounders in contention for supporter shield right from all the pundits, and now you look at them in their twelve thirteenth place and before you know it, right, they've got to go on the road next week to Dallas, and Dallas is doing okay this season. Jesus goes back to the place where he started, so you hope that he gets a little jolt playing in front of those fans. They're gonna have to start racking up some points here.
Speaker 1: Yep, sound is even with the results tonight, stay in twelfth. We your sound as that we mentioned are back on the road to take on FC Dallas on Saturday, April twelfth at five thirty pm Pacific.
Speaker 2: Watch the match for the MLS Season Pass.
Speaker 1: On the Apple TV app and listen on nine point fifty KGr AM and l Ray thirteen sixty am. The Provident Swedish pre match show with Jackson Felts starts at five pm.
Speaker 2: Sounders chasing three minutes of added time.
Speaker 1: To get in thirty seconds into that three two and a half minutes to go, as the Sounds picked it up twenty five yards from goal left of center with red Baker whiting Vargas to his left. Now gets it back off Vargas left channel, rolls it back.
Speaker 2: To new in support.
Speaker 1: Sam is still looking for a goal, but it's going to be Valacari's going to stride forward. Athletic finish players at a really good night. I don't know I've gone the score sheet, but certainly put in a shift on that front line. They just look at well balanced team, well coach, well organized, good solid, strong bench, which is not always the case with a new friend choice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they all look to be on the same page, and that's wildly important. Right, You've got guys that are playing for the badge and they're playing for something new. I think what you said is a great point. You've got a couple MLS vets on the team, but that's about it. Everyone else's kind of Hey, we've played in big leagues around around the world and we've seen it before. They might be good here, but we've played against good teams as well. They're not scared, they're not intimidated, and they've taken the challenge well.
Speaker 1: Colooney's has his pocket picked by the back line in the midfield of San Diego. The boll finds the foot of mit and across the halfway line fast side the left flicks it in, given away again by Matin.
Speaker 2: A little frustration from Martin on a yellow card.
Speaker 1: It needs to be just a little bit careful to get into the final minute here at.
Speaker 2: Snap Dragon Stadium.
Speaker 1: Sound as players, we're looking forward to coming here, packed house, boisterous, loud crowd.
Speaker 2: It's not been, it's not been a night to remember.
Speaker 1: As the ball goes to Massoska gets classed into by d Oop. I know sound as players are asking for anything from the referee, and I know he's struggled with a couple of back challenges this week, and it looks like he's hobbling away. It's not gonna help matters. It gets clattered into the sounds. Is gonna have to brush this one off, Brad. They're just gonna have to again go back to the drawing board, go back to the video, analyze it, but hopefully rely on some of these players coming back into action getting fully fit. Can they somehow turn the page, get a fresh start and it starts of course, next week with a final road game of three straight away games against Dallas.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've been a part of these every single season, right. You lose a couple three nil, we've lost four nil. We've lost that home to the La Galaxy four nil. We had to give back fans their money. So I've been a part of them before, and it's how you pick up the bootstraps, right, there's no easy answer at the end of the day, but it's about coming together as a group and looking forward to the next opportunity. That's all you can do. Going for a good week of training. You know, schmetzill lay into them again after this one. We'll get a chance to talk with Schmitz and see what this team makes in adjustments. Maybe it's a formation change, right, because the results aren't coming in what they're doing, so it might have to be a formation change. But just stick together as a group, collective and get back to work at Dallas.
Speaker 2: Yep, maybe go back to what you know.
Speaker 1: But the Sounders, it didn't start well. Second minute it was to Verse CoV. We picked the ball up ten yards from goals, slotted in the back of the net. Worst start possible for the Sounders. Then it was good doin the fortieth and just before the halftime whistle it was Chucky Lasagna with his first.
Speaker 2: Goal for San Diego to go into the locker room.
Speaker 1: Three goals up and that stood strong throughout the second half and San Diego come away with it with a three nil win against the Sounders after a three to two win last week at home against LAFC. Well, thanks for everyone involved in today's broadcast. Chris Kidd here in the booth, Keiey Dunning, Kevin kay Is always for their great information. Of course, the Sounders legend Brad Evans alongside me for the game tonight. The team will be back on the road next week, as we mentioned for that trip to Dallas, he's as Ferrera and port Ariola's old stomping grounds, which would be the last, as we mentioned, of three straight away games.
Speaker 2: But for now we'll take a short break.
Speaker 1: Jackson Pete a MOZ will take you through the postgame analysis. I think it's not going to be too cheery from snap Dragon Stadium in San Diego. Finishes very disappointingly for the men in Green. It's San Diego FC three the Sounders nil.
Speaker 7: You've been listening to Sounders fcsucker. Sounders Fcsucker is brought to you by Michelobultra ninety five calories and two point six grams of cards. It's only worth it if you enjoy it. By Discount Tire. Wherever you're headed, Discount Tire wants to get you there safely. Shop for tires with Treadwell, your personal tired guy at Discount tire dot com and by Provident Swedish official healthcare partner of Seattle Sounders FC.
Speaker 3: Stay tuned. The postmatch show is next