Speaker 1: Good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program right here on K one. Hey, I'm fourteen hundred, FM ninety three point three and FM ninety five point one. The Green Country Gardner Program with our expert Larry Glass, is brought to you by Green Glum Nursery and Greenhouses, United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power, Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, Jane Phillips, and Gateway First Bank. And good morning, good morning, morning, Welcome, welcome, welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. I'm Tom, He's Larry Glass. He's our expert. You can reach us at one eight hundred seven four nine five ninety three six. Hey, Larry, I hear it's gonna rail a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'll believe that one I get wet.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I've been looking at the radar and we got a big.
Speaker 2: Street is going up in Kansas right now.
Speaker 1: Well, right now it is. You're right, but moving moving in our direction.
Speaker 3: I would say, are we going to have another case of the flood of eighty six?
Speaker 1: Are we? I don't know, I don't know. I wasn't here for that, And you tell me that that was a mess.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: You could not get downtown. It's the time it's it's looking at it rainy way up under there. Oh that's in the Candy River floodplain up there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're hooking around right now. It's kind of arcing back to the north of Barble. We took a look at our train County Tech Interactive radar, and we see this great, big chunk of a train. I guess you would call it of a thunderstormselves, which are right there into the Texas Panhandle, coming right up to the little crook of our panhandle, just between Gayments south southeast of there you go, and then it goes all the way up to around Wichita, and it starts coming back. And we got a little tip of it over there in the county because it makes it mark over us. So it's kind of looked.
Speaker 3: Like it's not going to here. Okay, it's at Barlowsfield Brilliance. It deflects all the rain away.
Speaker 1: Well at this point in time, it is, but you give it about a day. I think we might might have another story.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's what they're saying. But anyway, I think we're supposed to have scattered showers in eighty six and the sky just opened up.
Speaker 1: And that's what happened in eighty six, Yes, scattered showers and the next thing you know, monsoon's here. I think there's people traversing Cherokee and and Frank Phillips in a boat and your daughter's going, look, Daddy, moukows.
Speaker 3: We were living in Woodland Park at the time, and some of the cows, I guess, ran that way and looking for they ran up Hillside Drive and up Woodland Road.
Speaker 2: There it's move kind of wandering around.
Speaker 1: Oh so, what what does a big rain like that do for our lawn in our garden and our trees, because I imagine they're thirsty. But can we handle all of that at once?
Speaker 3: Well, the lawn itself will be okay, it's pretty much a matted knitted map of vegetation, except that dry that well, it's just somewhat less associated as it was. We might have some erosion difficulties, and especially if you have a steep lawn, we might have a bit of erosion problem too. So hopefully we've been able to maintain our lawns at least in a minimal state. Mine is just just very kind of tinging a little bit green right now because I really not watered it too much. Concentrate more on the trees and shrubs around the house, and also keeping the foundation of the house the moisture pretty much constantly sure around the house too, just so we don't have this cracking issues. So that's always a very important thing, is uh. And that's probably why we've started this tradition of putting plants around the house and that well, no, none of that, but it gives you a visual view of the condition of the soil down below and that left and oh my god, my plants, and they watered them, and he keeps the moishoe level up around the house. It doesn't have in tendency to crack, especially in our soil here when it when.
Speaker 2: It when it cracks, you got these big gaping cracks. You stick your hand down and you look.
Speaker 3: Down in there you can see like molten lava.
Speaker 2: So heated gas coming up out of the ground. But anyway, so yeah, not much you can do at this point. Really.
Speaker 3: If you do have, say a drain in the backyard or a gutter drains or something, make sure they're pretty clear. Also, we put a lot of those in when we put them in, we oversize the pipe, so it carries debris easily out and you have to have to slope it properly too, at least a two percent slope at very least to carry the water out.
Speaker 1: We simple physics, folks. You don't want the water in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you want to do it.
Speaker 3: We redid a drain in a house in Glenwood this this summer, and when we dug up the pipe, it was actually going uphill.
Speaker 2: For one Oh no, this can't work.
Speaker 3: Or got the transit out and we're able to calculate a proper slope. And then we got our enclinometer, which is a very simple tool. It's a ten foot long piece of pipe with a level attached to it, and then whatever percentage you want, you take the divide that by forty eight to get your percent and they'll tell you how thick a shim to put on that level. Sure, so you've got this level in the middle of this pipe, and one edge of it is right on the pipe, another one is shimmed up and down.
Speaker 2: That gives your pipe a slope, and you put.
Speaker 3: That in your trench and you follow that through and then it gives you your proper slope about going up pillow down.
Speaker 2: No, none of this clam.
Speaker 3: Guessing Yeah, looks hard. That held me, you know, So that's a good way to determine a slope. Also, when we do grading, critical grading, we do the same methodology. And right now there's a building code going on. We're six feet out from the house. It has to be ten inches below the floor elevation when you build a house. So hopefully no more of these houses of water just rushing right up to the house and you know, flooding it. So it's just simple. You know, water runs downhill like many think, and it has to have some incentive to get there. So it's a good idea to grade your yard accordingly. And if you're looking for i'll seem to see one that's kind of low, then well you might have to introduce some energy into the equation. We've had to do this on several occasions where you have to put a drain and a and a some pump, and some pumps aren't really that expensive. Really, it's not that big of an issue if you do have to put one in. And there are some houses here in town that we've come across that there's no other solution because there's no slope, no place for the water to get out, So you have to enter some energy into the equation in the forum of electricity, which runs a pump which effectively defies gravity to get don't forget to put a big old check bawball so the water doesn't go back in. So anyway, there are ways to deal with water, impoort, drainage, and not that difficult to do. It's pretty pretty well logical as far as making water go down.
Speaker 2: Hill, there we go. So also we pour a patio.
Speaker 3: Or something, make sure you've got a you know, one percent slope on it, and so etcetera, etcetera, just so the water gets away from I've seen so many houses where the water just sits for days after it rains, and then you go a little bit past it and there's a slope going downhill for the water to go away.
Speaker 2: You can't get there, No, it can't. It's the greatest it goes.
Speaker 1: Down, got a lot of worms floating in it.
Speaker 3: And another fact you need to consider is the neighbor's house too. You don't want to cause a problem, but sorry, well my yard drain I don't care about yours, you know, you want to make sure it's directed somewhere where it doesn't it like towards the street.
Speaker 1: Towards the street, that's a really good place to get to it. You have storm drains usually in there.
Speaker 3: We did a project that involved this last month of retaining wall and a field drain, and we brought it out to the street. I gave the customer two options to just jump it straight out or check carrying on out, and she chose to go out to the street, to the curb and hope he doesn't get into the neighbor's yard.
Speaker 1: So that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Neighborly about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, taking advantage a good things.
Speaker 2: And a lot of developments are are designed to carry.
Speaker 3: Water stay between the houses or between the back of the houses and carried on down away. And we moved into our current house, the neighbor came up to me and says, I hope you don't mind my water coming into your property. Person before here, you got real mad because my water is coming into his yard. That total well, it's engineered, it's designed to do that. Yeah, so no, don't.
Speaker 2: Worry about it. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: See he went to school, he knows things stuff. He went to the College of College.
Speaker 2: So that's it. With rainage.
Speaker 3: I say, if you live in a little linerea back up your hard drive. Well, anyway, that kind of leads us into fall that's coming up. We've got some color coming on the trees, and there's several trees that have more tendency to have color than others. And makes you wonder what causes fall color.
Speaker 1: What causes fall colors?
Speaker 2: Well, it reacts to the length of day.
Speaker 3: It gets shorter, and these plants they have hormones and it makes it soak up the carbs, pushes them down to the root and leaves cyanathins and leaves, and those at the sanatins are the pigmentation that's left over that stays in the leaf that the tree actually finds useless except for filtering light and focusing light and so enhancing photosynthesis. So that's and the degree of sanathans in the leaf has an effect on what the color that the thing is too. And if it's really cool at night, we have more intense colors that happened this year. Look out there, he's brown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, basic brown.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't see the flaming reds or anything.
Speaker 2: Not really.
Speaker 1: Lightning gold.
Speaker 2: Look at a lot of the trees out over here.
Speaker 3: Still have leaves on them, and this look, well, well the rain we're having might be the saving grace for some tall color.
Speaker 2: So well that we'll give up the ghost yet.
Speaker 3: And then then the trees take that the carbohydrates and the car fell and whatever.
Speaker 2: It goes down to the to.
Speaker 3: The root of the tree and it's stored for the winter and it no longer uses the leaves and they absist. And sometimes if we have a real early early freeze, the absision layer is not is rendered ineffective because of because of the cold. And this is what happened last year. We had an early freeze and a lot of the leaves stayed on the tree. They did, oh Japanese maples, and a lot of the oaks, and some of the maples, the leaves in hackberries whatnot.
Speaker 2: If you can call out of trees, it's more of a mess.
Speaker 3: But anyway, the leaves persisted on the tree because the opposition layer froze out.
Speaker 2: It was not it was not allowed to function.
Speaker 3: So the leaves stayed on the tree for a long time, and a lot of a lot of the Japanese Maples people thought they were dead. Well not really, It's just that it got too cold too early and it didn't absence and they didn't fall off.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of dead leaves and the.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma yeah anyway, So that explains why we don't sometimes we don't have good fall color is because that layer is not permitted to form and it cuts off essentially the absorption of some chemicals and the leaves too, and it makes the leaves a red color and then it falls off when we on to get enough cold to snap it off.
Speaker 1: There you go. The more you know science right here on the radio.
Speaker 2: You bet it's very complicated.
Speaker 1: Well thanks for breaking it in for even a simple guy like me can understood.
Speaker 2: It's very beautiful, very beautiful. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: We're going to take, a beautiful break, a beautiful profit. Saity taiba, very very beautiful. We'll be right back after these words, back in about two minutes.
Speaker 4: The employees at United Rentals, or local folk who work play go to church and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power, which gives them power and leverage to get you the best deal on equipment you need to get your job done right and with twenty four hours service, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five.
Speaker 5: United Rentals.
Speaker 6: All right, it's Chris Reevard from gate Way First Bank. We know life is busy. Who has time for banking between work, family, and everything in between.
Speaker 2: That's why we bring banking to you.
Speaker 6: Our personal banking services are designed to fit your life. We take the time to get to know you and your needs, whether it's online, over the phone, or in person at your business.
Speaker 2: We're here to make banking personal again.
Speaker 6: Contact us at our downtown Barnosville branch at four two two South Dewey Avenue, or at Gateway First dot com. Gateway First Bank your gateway to personal banking, that's actually personal Gateway First Bank.
Speaker 2: Remember FDIC.
Speaker 7: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 5: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 7: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 5: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number, it's.
Speaker 8: Nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight d three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 7: Calling today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 8: That's nine one eight d three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight three five seven thousand.
Speaker 9: Remember when your mom puts you to bed, and right before she touched you in, she'd say sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite. And as little kids, we thought that was funny. Well, if you've ever had bed bugs, you'll know it's not funny. And Accent Pest Control knows that bed bugs are real. They're tiny, round, brown insects and they're a nightmare to deal with. Bedbugs creg quite a nuisance. I can stow away in luggage and end up infesting your home. If you think you might have bedbug, call Accent Pest Control nine one eight three three six fifty nine forty two and schedule an inspection.
Speaker 1: All right, welcome back to the Green Country Gardener Program. As we're waiting for the rain to Paul eight twenty three fifty eight degrees and our phone line is but if you do have a question for Larry Glass or expert, it is one.
Speaker 3: Talking about trees, let's talk about where where do I plant a tree in the yard, hopefully in the ground. Well, first thing I'd like to consider is just put the tree to work somehow. Oh good, either either frame the property or give you some shade somewhere, some relief from our summer heat. Did we have any summer heat this year at Yeah.
Speaker 1: We had a little. I came down here for that go to a global warming to burn up like a cinder, and that turned your head.
Speaker 5: This is normal?
Speaker 2: What summer here? What is this? Is not unusual?
Speaker 3: We had this this winter or summer rather, But anyway, they do give you some some afternoon shade. I know, I've got a pistache tree on the west side.
Speaker 2: Of my driveway. When I come home from work. It shades the truck a lot of good. That does, because I'm not in it, you know. But anyway, so.
Speaker 3: And uh, on the west side of the house, you can plant some trees do good to shave the house. But you have to keep in mind things like utilities, sewer lines, water lines, gas lines, things great, all this other stuff you got to be careful of. Now, typically in front of the house there's a fifteen foot easement. So if you plant a tree in that area, well, they can do whatever they want because it's in it right away. So you want to be careful not to put it in an easement. And then you have the water line coming into the house. You want to know where that is and you can usually tell the water meter it's straight going into the house. You want to avoid that. Unless you have a tree that's shallow roaded, it's okay. But because typically by code they have to be twenty four or thirty six, it'shes deep water lanes. Dude, some of these plumbers get real proud or like six feet but anyway, so you want to try to avoid that. And by all means, dude, try to avoid the stewer line because a root going underneath a stewer line can lift it up out of the ground. And next thing you know, you have to have like ten plungersing moving if you will.
Speaker 2: So nowhere, all that stuff is before you locate a tree.
Speaker 3: And if somebody's coming to plant the tree, they all they get is their information from you. You need to tell them where to put it just so and then we can advise. Otherwise I've had to do that and said no, we can't put one their wives.
Speaker 2: There's a water meater right, or there's.
Speaker 3: A telephone line or something we have to avoid that, or it's center ride away.
Speaker 2: I don't recommend that in a ride away, or I don't.
Speaker 3: Recommend it within fifteen feet of power lines, et cetera, et cetera. So, if you do have a situation where you're kind of confronted with an area where you don't have much room to put a tree, you might consider a tree that's what we call fastigiated, okay, upright, narrow, upright growing good. Example, there's some elms that are narrow and upright. There's oak English joke, it's narrow and upright. The pinnok initially is narrow and upright, but it with age it kind of loses that factor. It turns into a giant tree. So you might pick out a right, or specify a variety of tree that is narrow and upright in a situation where that, or you could choose a smaller tree such as a red bud, or if the situation is favorable, a dogwood tree. Dog Woods like some afternoon shade and good drainage. Well, if you live in Oklahoma, you ll you check off all.
Speaker 2: The inboxes that't work.
Speaker 3: There are some parts of town though, where the dog was to do quite well. So picking out a tree location, know where the utilities are, because if you if you plant a tree in a easement, they have.
Speaker 2: Every right to go in and tear it out.
Speaker 3: And although they try not to, they might tunnel underneath it or something just so you know, lose your big tree.
Speaker 2: But but they're they're good about trying not to.
Speaker 8: Ya.
Speaker 3: I remember when they were smoking the and replacing the sewer lines and backyard where I used to live, and they said, we're gonna have to dig a big hole in the yard. I said, fin, it's a right away, go ahead, sure, and so yeah, just give me a little time to you know, dig up.
Speaker 2: A few things and we'll get her very.
Speaker 3: Cooperative, and they got it. They they used in my backyard as a as a.
Speaker 2: Base, give a little good look.
Speaker 3: Actually an excellent job of remediating everything, so it's nice and level.
Speaker 2: That's all was compacted.
Speaker 3: It brought us some really good dirt, better than what I had, and and the next year the house was on the garden tour and it great. So all worked out pretty well, worked out pretty well. So, so you know, some having some degree of a cooperation with the utility companies when they come through and they have to make repairs, it's very important because it'd be nice to the whole out of their way to help you. They sure will, they unlike some of these companies who are drilling around everywhere and messing up people.
Speaker 1: Sprinker systems, yeah, I heard about that. That's that's been getting kind of ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Well not really, it's it is in a right way, but I think a lot of it has to do with the design of the irrigation system probably, and.
Speaker 2: That's kind of one thing we do. Also.
Speaker 3: We don't ever put our static line and are wiring close or in the right way. It goes in between the house and the right We don't ever go out that far out. And I run into one in the Colonial where they they just physically shut a shredded.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I had to be.
Speaker 2: I was out there digging for three days. I got a pix.
Speaker 3: But but not only when the sprinker has messed up, but the main line was messed up too. So I told her so, when we do sprinker systems, we put the main line down the middle and branch out each way. So if they were to tear it up, it's a simple manner of replace in what we call a funny pipe, which is a polyethylene pipe. You put together these fittings and repairing is simple, so simple, it's funny but anyway, so just in the design of things that you don't want to put your heavy equipment in the right away. You want to have it in your yard when you and when your sprinter designer comes out. You want to make sure they kind of follow that too, keep it out of the right away, your valves, you're wiring and all that important stuff.
Speaker 1: Hopefully they know that, but sometimes they don't.
Speaker 3: Now there's some cases when the driveway comes right to the right away, and if they do need to come in and do something, I can locate the wires underground and usually that's where the main line is as along with the wires.
Speaker 2: So that'll kind of let them know where those are.
Speaker 3: So when you get in with this giant machine, they can kind of go a little easy, please less a bit less of a bowl in a china closet and get it done.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break. We'll be right back after just two minute time out.
Speaker 10: Green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses is at it again with great plants for your fall gardens. Start planting pansies and ornamental kale now. It's also time to think ahead by sewing your fescue seed for a beautiful lawn next year. Green Thumb has five star glend fescue seed in right now. It's never too late in the season to plant trees and shrubs, and Green Tham has the new shipments in Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the Water Road, open Monday through Saturday ninety five. Sunday eleven four.
Speaker 11: The Tulsa Oilers are back on the ice for another ice melt.
Speaker 5: Here he shoots, he score. It's Nickelodeon. Paw Patrol Days Sunday.
Speaker 11: November third, three oh five, live at the Balca Center. Get your picture with your favorite Paw Patrol character. Chase experience the ultimate and fast paced entertainment. It's turnover and going the other Way. It's your tickets now at tulsoilers dot com. Don't miss the heart hitting, pulse pounding, smash mount excitement. Oh I could feel that one your tickets. Call a Pawpatrol d at Tulso Ooilers dot com. This is yours own, your team, your TASO Boilers Hockey are black.
Speaker 12: Were you born from nineteen forty five to nineteen sixty five? People born during these years are five times more likely to have hepatitis C, but most people don't know they are infected. So even if you try to eat right, exercise, and take care of yourself, you can still have hepatitis C, a serious liver disease that often has no symptoms. In fact, people can live with hepatitis for decades without feeling or looking sick. But over time, hepatitis C can cause serious health problems, including liver damage, liver failure, or even liver cancer. Getting tested is the only way to know if you're infected with hepatitis C. That's why the CDC recommends everyone born from nineteen forty five to nineteen sixty five get a blood test for hepatitis C. Treatments are available that can cure this disease, so talk to your doctor about getting tested.
Speaker 2: It could save your life.
Speaker 5: A message from the CDC.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Partner Program. It's say thirty three dark skies in the sixty degrees I should say cloudy. But right now our phone line is open if you'd like to call in and talk to our expert, Larry Glass. What eight hundred and seven nine.
Speaker 3: This looks like it's a ring quite yet, however, the Caney River uh watershed up here, it's it's really getting a lot of rain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is true. It's curving around us at this point.
Speaker 3: If you can go to the radio station's web page and get the status of a cane or copan and get an idea of the level there and see how much water it can handle. Yeah, typically though the lake is uh the bowl shaped, and the amount of water it holds is exponential as it as it comes in, So it'll hold a terrific amount of water if it to the level that is kind of low. So we probably won't have any problems here.
Speaker 1: Okay, right here, Good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. Your question for Larry.
Speaker 13: Glass, I just a serious when you cut back you got roses?
Speaker 2: You not got roses?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanksgiving for a good time, just getting right clothes. Yeah, cutting back as about love as you want really get all the dead clubby brown looking branches, go ahead and cut all the just out completely.
Speaker 14: And then then and then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, knockout roses are true to form from root the top. They're not grafted, so yeah, there's no problem. You can cut them down quite low. Actually I wouldn't. I wouldn't go any lower than say, nine inches to a foot, But then they'll do just fine. Also, look for what we call conflicting would in other words, you have a branch is coming up and crossing over another one, you want to cut that one down lower than the rest, kind of eliminated if you will. That That rubbing is painful, especially when he gets windy, so you want to try to avoid that.
Speaker 2: Also, very good, thanks for calling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, about the time the trip to fan kicks in on everybody else. You can just wrap up the old sixteen cylinder clippers and just go out there and just give me your old knockout roses and haircut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, down really low and there's nothing, not much there, but there's just a little like a bending hand or a looks like a hand sticking out of the ground. And they grow and they bush out and fine. Yeah, we do have traditionally we do have a bit of a surgeon blooms in the fall. If resources are available, it might be after this weekend, so there might be a bit of a show before before it gets too cold. So I wait, I'll.
Speaker 2: Think around Thanksgiving on that end of the month, so we might.
Speaker 3: Get a little blossom show. We'll pop one here and there. Okay, Anyway, what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: We were talking about leaves, and we were talking about water, and we were talking about slope and we were talking about drainage, and we were talking about your sprinkler system getting.
Speaker 2: So we're talking about s. Yeah, sprinkler systems. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hate it when we get this age. Larry and I had to remember this well.
Speaker 2: We got distracted looking at the radar party. It was pty.
Speaker 3: Butation systems you have to make sure to design them carefully too. I've seen some that are not properly designed and the coverage patterns aren't proper. You have to have enough PSI and gpms to run those heads, and I've seen some that are underdesigned. In other words, that comes out and it looks like just mists coming out everywhere. There's too much, too much water, too much pressure coming out. So the pressure needs either need to be regulated or throttled or something like that. But you do want to make sure your popetline velocities are correct and so on.
Speaker 2: Just for the sake of the valves.
Speaker 3: You know, you get a valve rupture, You're talking lots of gallons of water the valve and I've seen some cracked up valves.
Speaker 1: They're not pretty either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So for properly design anyone, we'll make better use of your water. And you want droplet size to be as specked in other words, there's so many pounds per square inch that they're designed to go on typically twenty five to thirty gallons or already pounds per square inch of water at the head.
Speaker 2: And you need to know your water pressure so you can design it accordingly.
Speaker 3: And if you do, I know, I have one hundred and ten pounds of pressure at my house, which is crazy, and you want to regulate that somehow.
Speaker 2: I had to put one in the house too. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: You turn on the faucet and sink and the water went into the bowl and hit the window.
Speaker 2: Whoa, that's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 3: So well anyway, So yeah, if you do have an excessive pressure, a regulator is to good an idea on a sprinkler system, or you can get the valves that have regulators on them that you can throttle the amount of water down so it doesn't come out so much. So if you do have an irrigation you have all this mist coming out. You can do a manual regulation thing at the backflope pvnter where you turn the valve down just a little bit to avoid so much of that water being lost through the atmosphere.
Speaker 2: Doesn't do any good.
Speaker 3: It's been thirty percent of the water sometimes just an atmospheric missing. So timers are another thing on sprinkler systems. We put in a wireless timers. You're ConTroll them with your telephone, which is pretty cool. It's becoming more mainstream now. People are really people know about them and coming coming aware that they are out there. So I like to put them in. Some people I just want to go old school, no problem. But they got a sample at home that actually shuts down when detectives rained nearby. It gets data from the weather service, and.
Speaker 1: Well you don't get like when I see out my window every now and then a rainstorm and sprinklers going off at the same time.
Speaker 3: So when I drove into the garage, I saw it over there with a yellow light flashing on it. Then it popped it up on the phone that says delayed the weather forecast.
Speaker 2: That that's cool, very good, save you a bunch of water lawns.
Speaker 3: Right now, it should be about the last time to mow the bermuda grass. It's not gonna be growing too much. In November. Typically we have a freeze somewhere around Halloween. Well that hasn't really happened. Pretty cold, that didn't get cold enough to stop it. And using a winter riser on bermuda grass is kind of a good way for mass marketers to make money. Is practically useless because the grass can't use it. Yeah, you want to do this winter riser back in August. August and early September is time to put the bermuda grass kind of slow down a little bit, get those stolens growing real good, get the resistant development ste so it can survive the winter. If you put a lot of nitrogen later on in the year on the bermuda grass, it has a lot of weak growth on which is susceptible to a spring dead spot, which happens typically in February. If and when we do have some snow on the ground and it all falls out and the grass comes up in the scring. There's all these dead spots in your yard. Looks like a leopard and it's it's a fungus disease. It gets from weak stolens.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 3: So you want to avoid high nitrogen applications in the fall, and the Extension Service has guidelines where you can win how much and what to use off your fertilites are and typically and not typically, but in the fall they don't recommend high nitrogen applications. For that reason, our soil here has a tendency to be somewhat heavy in light of clay, and that exacerbates the problem even more because it doesn't dry out between irrigation, fungus fungus. So anyway, that's kind of it with longs except for festi grass. And the festi grass is doing great this last week. It's just caused it just a just a blossom out.
Speaker 1: What's gonna happen now that it's raining.
Speaker 3: It's gonna do just fine. It will Hopefully you have the leaves off of it. You're gonna either blow them off or break them off or somehow get the leaves off your fescue grass before the rain hits. Uh So you don't get the packing down anaerobic decomposition, let it breathe. You're turning your long into a compost heap if you don't keep the leaves off of it. So try to keep the leaves off of the fescue grass. I'd say, if you have a fesculon, invest in a heavy duty leaf blower you go, just so it doesn't get all those leaves smothering it out. Okay, it's also time for fertilization on the rescue too. It should be actively growing right now and this rain is going to help it out to be more actively growing. So on your fesculon, follow the instructions. Don't don't go overboard with it, just an to keep it going because in December it is the time not to fertilize. In january's not the time to fertilize. Middle February is time to begin fertilization once again on the fescue grass. It gets typically a little bit warmer at that point in time when the daffodils are up.
Speaker 1: Right right now, we need to take a little bit of a break and we will be back after this two minute.
Speaker 10: Ten second green thum nursery and Greenhouses is at it again with great plants for your fall gardens. Start planting pansies and ornamental kale now. It's also time to think ahead by sowing your fescue seed for a beautiful lawn next year. Green Thumb has five Star blend fescue seed in right now. It's never too late in the season to plant trees and shrubs, and green Tham has the new shipments in Green Thumb Nursery and Greenhouses on the Water Road open Monday through Saturday nine to five, Sunday eleven to four.
Speaker 7: Who do I come to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard?
Speaker 5: Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 7: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 5: Well, you better call Kelly's Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 8: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight D three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 7: Calling today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 8: That's nine one eight d three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight D three five seven thousand.
Speaker 15: All right.
Speaker 6: It's Chris Reevard from Gateway First Bank. We know life is busy. Who has time for banking between work, family, and everything in between. That's why we bring banking to you. Our personal banking services are designed to fit your life. We take the time to get to know you and your needs. Whether it's online, over the phone, or in person at your business. We're here to make banking personal again. Contact us are downtown Barnosville branch at four two two South Dewey Avenue or at Gateway First dot com Gateway First Bank, Yan Wade of Personal Banking, that's actually personal gate White First Bank.
Speaker 2: Remember fd I C.
Speaker 11: The Tausa Oilers are back on the ice for another ice melt a year. He shoots, he scored This Saturday seven five at the Bok Center, the Oilers take the ice against the Iowa Heartlanders for First Responders Night. The first one thousand fans get a free Tulsa Oilers t shirts. Don't miss the ultimate in vast paste entertainment. It's turnover and going the other way. Kid your tickets now at Tulsa Oilers dot com. It's smash mouth part hitting Polk's pounding excitements.
Speaker 1: Oh I just heal that one.
Speaker 11: Tickets at Tulsa Oilers dot Com. This is your town, your team, your Tulsa Oilers Hockey are back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The name of that song is Papa was a rolling stone nut, Papa was rowing a boat. Okay, it is eighty five and we do it rain words out your lords, baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Our number here at the Green Country Gardener programmy is one eight hundred and seven three six. And yes, we are anticipating some rainfall whereever you might be. Your mile each be different, as they say, but anywhere from about three inches to upwards to eight in some areas. That's the forecast.
Speaker 3: Not to guarantee you might last see that flat bottom fishing boat to a tree and dust off the oars or at least crank up the motor. Yeah, make sure it's going to go that every rooting, oh golly tree. The week is a red sunset maple. This kin to the October golry maple is kind of it's starting to show up some pretty color here and there too. Actually, if you did irrigate your long at least on a minimal basis, it's showing some color.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it's uh. Anyway, if you want one now, it's the perfect time. To plant them.
Speaker 3: We do have some at the nursery and they're showing some red color on them too. Grows about forty feet tall and wide, with kind of a globe shaped to it. This should be a good one forer some shade in the afternoon, cool house down one or two degrees.
Speaker 2: In the summer.
Speaker 3: It holds up to wind and its pretty well because of the branching structure. It is very strongly branched too. They do well with little or no damage. So this year actually they didn't have much of any problems. So the native to lowland area, so they can be shallow rooted, but not as bad as a silver maple. And know I have to in front of my house and there are some roots on the ground, but it's.
Speaker 1: Not that bad.
Speaker 3: And immediately around the tree, I got these big rocks. Put stone beds around them.
Speaker 1: That helps.
Speaker 3: It looks kind of cool too, it it does, but anyway, and it covered up the roots. Actually I put the grass clippings on that, and the trees have loved that.
Speaker 2: They're going growing up just like that, real fast. Yeah, grown fast, Yeah, they grow faster.
Speaker 1: Makes a noise.
Speaker 3: They didn't do that because the lawnmower is not not straping up the roots as it hurt, not hurting anything. So they're doing really quite well with with having an area around them that is not moding like that. And they're doing pretty good. And they were the kind of sick when it moved into the house. But they're getting kind of old too. I think you're gonna have to cut them down one of these days because they're just kind of getting old. And nothing lasts forever, so they might have to be replaced the next few years. But anyway, so the red Sunset mail was a real good one, moderately flash growing, quite sturdy too.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: We had all these rains and storms, all these high winds we had, even the tornadoes we had. We had some damage in the neighborhood. Yeah, my trees weren't damaged.
Speaker 1: You were lucky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, across the street was down there. Chang saws are rattling around everywhere, but I did.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know something I got to tell you. Whenever we have storms, yeah, we always have the chainsaw bubb us. So these guys will go out there, they'll just hack up you would just take good care of you.
Speaker 3: I think it's primarily because the roots are rooting into solid rocks.
Speaker 2: We get the bubbas out here because of that they have.
Speaker 3: They're not as big as some of the other trees because it might there's a lot to.
Speaker 2: Do with the trenth.
Speaker 3: So anyway, Bernie bush winged, you want to miss or you want to miss the late us or it's a shrub of the week. I think we discussed this a little bit last week, but I think we about touch about it some more. The Bernie bush reaches an eventual height of up to fifteen to twenty feet and spreading sixteen ten feet across. This might be in Georgia, but not in Oklahoma. That's some my house that I've not done anything to and they're about I don't know, about ten feet tall. There's one at the back fin it's about ten feet tall. And then I have some just eight feet away that are about the hip high. Yeah, and they get they get nipped back every January. You go knock on Kevin's doors, Can I borrow your twenty four cylinder heads clippers four?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Jane, I cut them back rather sternly, uh in the winter time show boss, Yeah exactly, and they stay smaller that way.
Speaker 2: So you can do all the stuff.
Speaker 3: For the burning bush, keep in mind how much it grows in a year, typically a foot twelve inches or so, so you wanted to in the winter time, you want to cut back, cut it back about twelve inches below the point where you eventually wanted to grow out.
Speaker 2: Kind Of the same thing with.
Speaker 3: Other shrubs too, like the yop on holidays and boxwoods and whatnot. So you want to cut them back typically in late February or so. The box woods and the burning bush, you do it in the dead of winter. So there's what we'll discuss this as time progresses. What the cut wind. But these right now they're beginning to exhibit some color, and which is a brilliant red color like the like the digits on the clock or the.
Speaker 1: Buttons pretty buttons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, their red.
Speaker 3: Rain button to make it away, but anyway they have. The burning budge has a very reliable fall color. It also called wing. You want to us on the b on the stems. There's a bark that comes out in distinctive wings if you will on it. An interesting plant and it's so easy to grow. I have very few pests. If anything, it does have a limited lifespan. You'll probably get twelve, fifteen, maybe twenty years out of them, and then they just sort of get.
Speaker 2: Tired and go to put.
Speaker 3: However, they do have a tendency to recede, so you'll have some replacements coming up here and there in the yard. It's just not a bad thing, I guess so, but you might want to keep one or two of them just to keep the generations going. So the winged guanamous or the burning bush is an excellent plant.
Speaker 2: I really like it.
Speaker 3: It has very few pests, if any. You never see any scale on it or anything like that. And it doesn't like drought too well. So keep a good layer of mulch on the ground mine at my house, I have drip systems and everything, and they keep them happy. Then they're just fine, so they're easy to grow.
Speaker 2: They're about in the uanimous gender there genre. Rather.
Speaker 3: There are about one hundred and seventy species of uanimous, all native to the northern hemisphere, so they do pretty well.
Speaker 2: Another parallel to that is.
Speaker 3: The Manhattan euanymous, which is used popular as a screen plant or maybe a medium plates hedgeplant, and it does tend to get scale pretty bad, and it tends it out somewhat liquor up closely at the stem of your Manhuntani one was, and rub your thumbnail across it. And if you stuff kind of flakes off of it, you probably have scale real bad. So you mile it to you. You said dormant oil or something to recomment that.
Speaker 1: All right, take a quick break, we will be back after the two minutes in fifteen second time out.
Speaker 16: In nineteen thirty, Frank Phillips received a very special gift from some very dear friends. During a ceremony surrounded by fifteen hundred guests, Frank was adopted into the Osage tribe by Chief Fred Lookout and given the name of Eagle Chief by the Osage. This marked the first time that the Osage had ever adopted a white person into their tribe. Chief Lookout gave the newest Osage chief the gift of a pony, a saddle, and a single eagle feather. The saddle had been in Lookout's family for over one hundred years. Frank Phillips received a telegram from a famous man and your friends saying sorry, I can't make it the Osage we're always the smartest Indians in America.
Speaker 1: There are one.
Speaker 16: Hundred and twenty million white men, and they pick out the best one to make an osage chief. Best regards to all osages, including Frank from the Renegade Cherokee Will Rogers. That kind of magic still happens every day at Willarock. Welcome home to Wellarock.
Speaker 17: What happens when a healthcare system truly listens. Haaling happens, hope happens, Good health happens at Ascension. We know because we listen to you to better understand you. Then our network of doctors, nurses and care teams at Saint John deliver a personalized healthcare experience that's right for you and your family. Find the care you need at Stjohnhealthsystem dot com.
Speaker 15: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville hig Magnetics from Romans Outdoor Power cover more ground with the past durable Cabota sidekit featuring a gas powate inch delivers a top speed of forty miles an hour, best in class acceleration and handling with cargo, and the strength.
Speaker 2: To haul what needs houling. All back by a two.
Speaker 18: Year, one thousand hour warning. Get zero down, zero percent financing for fifty four months per save up to two thousand dollars now through twelve thirty one twenty four see us or go to CABOTAUSA dot com for more information. Get more done right with Cabota Sidekick, Romans, outdoor Power, your local Kmmota dealer, Highway seventy five and Bartlesville Independence four online at Okikovota dot com.
Speaker 11: I'm Dave Hunziker, and you've got the Bruins, Cardinals, Cowboys and more on K one and fourteen hundred at FM ninety three point three.
Speaker 1: All righty, welcome back to the Green hundred Gardener Program. It is eight fifty five sixty degrees looking for some rain, and we've got Larry Glass, our expert here on the Green Country Gardener Program. Phone line is open and one eed to hundred seven six.
Speaker 2: For those of you with color radar radio. Rather, there's my granddaughter and her and her mom.
Speaker 1: We started hearing the phone go off and I was thinking, no, my Larry's got projects coming up. No, it was an onslaught of grand baby baby pictures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh god, that's cool.
Speaker 1: It is really cool.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's a nursery right now.
Speaker 3: We have a whole lot of pansies exhibiting some color right now to come by and check it out, and by Willis too. The cabbage and kale are actually starting to change color now that the temperature is down below three hundred degrees.
Speaker 2: It's two and ninety nine this week.
Speaker 3: That oh yeah, they're starting to show some ballpark pretty cool. Yeah, so they're starting to exhibit some color right now. I like to use the kale as a kind of a center point, if you will, with maybe some pansies around. It gives you some very interesting color, especially by the front.
Speaker 2: Door when you come in.
Speaker 3: We look really nice too. And also so you're a little late for pre emergent as far as we control is concerned. That should have been done already. But so what there's some weeds. What are you going to do about it?
Speaker 2: That's too late.
Speaker 3: But anyway, molt should be a good thing to put down right now because it's going to get kind of cool, and it does help moderate the soil temperature. If you do have plants that are kind of delicate, you might want to consider adding some multi shit. And we do have a mulch in bulk at the nursery and we will gladly come out with our little dump truck and put a big old paddle mulch in your driveway. You give me some incentives because you can't get out of the garage until you get your mulching done.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So we got that. Also.
Speaker 3: There are just a few other things going on. We were talking about Seat Them. One of them is Autumn Fire, which is an improved version of Seat Them Autumn Joy with thicker stems, tider growth on. So we got all kinds of stuff for sale. It's a great selection of plots too, and we have we're trying out a new organic soil amendment.
Speaker 2: Also. It's a little expensive, but it's really good stuff. We got a color.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Welcome to the Green Country Gardner Program. You're a question for Larry.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I've got in my yards right now. I've got like small ant hills all over the place, and I don't think their ants.
Speaker 1: I've found a bunch of theirs morning too.
Speaker 3: I know I've seen those all over the place. I think they're I think they're not ants. I their uncles.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, all right, I gotta work.
Speaker 3: You gotta work next to you. I really haven't seen what's coming out of those lately. I've got some actually coming up in my paving on the patio. They've come up between the blocks, and I think there might be just some very late, because.
Speaker 14: There's I've got hundreds of them around here.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of them.
Speaker 3: They are too and I really haven't seen exactly what they are, So if anybody has seen them, they might call in quickly.
Speaker 2: We got one minute left.
Speaker 14: Okay, well that might be quick, too quick, But it just seems like there's this hundreds of them out here, and my neighbor doesn't he's got a few, but they're just everywhere on this yard. I was just wondering if, say, we're actually.
Speaker 19: If they were worms putting scat on top.
Speaker 3: Of the ground, or I don't know, if I haven't had a lot of rain for that to happen. So I think some kind of I don't know for sure, some kind of insect. I really don't know, but it seems that the cicadas have a similar We didn't have a lot of them this year, and the dryness and the way of the soil mighte has something.
Speaker 2: To do with that, So they're probably probably just late.
Speaker 1: All right, Hey, thanks for your call. Uh one more before we go here, Let's quickly get this one you got about the twenty seconds. What's your question?
Speaker 2: Please? Hello?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna tell you. I was going to tell you those were earthworms. That makes those little peace dirt.
Speaker 3: Oh okayur arthworms or earthworms earthworm earthworms?
Speaker 13: Okay, And you can collect the dirt and this good fertilizer.
Speaker 3: You bet all right? Hey, thanks for your call, Thanks for calling. Yeah, keep your shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 11: Credit Union a better way to bank Remembers always come first.
Speaker 1: Experienced the credit union difference today? True?
Speaker 2: What do you see? U?
Speaker 11: Dot org in Bartleville, Bartleville T two three six podcast News
Speaker 5: On the Hour sponsored by O'Reilly Auto Parts