Speaker 1: Today's presenting sponsor as Simply Safe. Home security July means vacations, long weekend and beach days. While you're out having fun. You want peace of mind that comes with knowing your home is protected.
Speaker 2: That's why Simple Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sounds of affirmation. All right, Okay, yeah, no, it's really good.
Speaker 1: Simply Safe protects you. It covers your exterior blind spots, astory of the strongest first line of defense when your attention is maybe elsewhere. With Simply Safe, you can customize your system to fit your needs. It's more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of sensors into an outdoor cameras twenty four to seven professional monitoring the I Guide its set up as simple and there is no drilling required unless you request it, so you can install and arm your system in under an hour. No long term contracts or cancelation fees. Monitoring plans started around a dollar per day. Our CEO recently had a Simply Safe system installed in her home. Installation was kick and easy, and the system was up and running in no time. It It's worked smoothly since day one. It gives the family total peace of mind to see who's dropping by, or you can easily chat with visitors through the camera even when you're away. We've partner with simply safe to for an exclusive discount to our listeners. Right now, you can get fifty percent off your new system by visiting simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simplysafe dot com. Slash crooked. There is no safe like simply Safe.
Speaker 3: This summer, America celebrated its two hundred and fiftieth birthday. But if you actually sit down and read the Declaration of Independence, you'll notice something wild. Buried right near the end is a brutal rant about and this is a direct quote merciless Indian savages. As it turns out, relations with Native nations weren't just a footnote in the American Revolution. They were central to it. Think about the Boston Tea Party, the colonists literally disguised themselves as Native Americans. Later, the country's very first attempt at a government collapsed, largely because it couldn't handle the sheer power and sovereignty of Native nations. First America is hosted by journalists Rebecca Nagel, who hosted Crooked's excellent This Land podcast, along with leading Native historians. It completely reframes howard democracy was actually built, which feels pretty relevant in our current political moment. Find First America wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Welcome to pots of America.
Speaker 5: I'm John favrec I' John love it, Tommy Vietor new studio looking good, guys, and if you're listening to this, only you're good. This is the moment that you're gonna want to watch us on YouTube. Subscribe to the Potza of America YouTube channel because we have a brand new studio here.
Speaker 4: It's awesome, all refurbished.
Speaker 6: Look at this.
Speaker 4: I know it's exciting. All right.
Speaker 5: On today's show, we're going to talk about the democrats new twenty twenty eight primary calendar, which puts South Carolina first and has already set off a debate about who that helps. We'll also talk about one Democratic leader who seems beyond help, DNC chair Ken Martin, the subject of not one, not two, but three leak filled stories about the party's financial crisis. Then we'll cover Trump's trip to Michigan in the Senate race there, as well as the latest with the Iran war and the biggest bombing of the weekend, the President's performance at the rescheduled White House Correspondence dinner. Finally, Ben Wickler stopped by the studio to talk about the DNC drama that was Constant Gubernatorial primary Drama and his brand new drama free book. This is the plan, all right, guys, Let's start with the biggest news from over the weekend that will impact the outcome of the twenty twenty eight presidential election. We have a new primary calendar.
Speaker 4: It's here.
Speaker 5: On Friday, the DNC's Rules and by Laws Committee voted to make South Carolina the first primary state on January twenty second, twenty twenty eight. It will tentatively be followed by Nevada on February first, New Hampshire a week after that, New Mexico a week after that, Michigan the next week, and finally Virginia on February twenty ninth, before a bunch of other states vote in early March on Super Tuesday. The new calendar still has to be approved by the full DNC, which will meet next month, but there's already one potential stumbling block. New Hampshire has a law that requires the state to go at least one week earlier than any other state primary. The DNC's proposed solution is for the New Hampshire Democratic Party to fund and hold its own primary that's separate from the official state primary. But it doesn't sound like New Hampshire Democratic leaders are on board with that plan just yet, or.
Speaker 4: Republican leaders or Republican leaders right.
Speaker 5: There's also been some grumbling from a few progressive activists that they're putting stuff.
Speaker 4: I say a.
Speaker 5: Few because actually this is like progressives upset with South Carolina and then it's like a Jacobin op ed and like one comment from Hassan Piker, but there's a few progress Yes, yes it was because I did my diligence.
Speaker 4: I started writing, and I'm like, Okay, this headline is great. Anyway.
Speaker 5: There's been some grumbling that putting South Carolina first gives an advantage to more moderate establishment candidates, But we'll get into all of this before we get into what we think about the proposed calendar. Do you guys want to talk about why this is such a big deal and how much you think the earliest state calendar matters.
Speaker 1: I'm just nostalgic for when we were in Iowa rigging the caucus for booting ENSI and this didn't work.
Speaker 6: This is the things we get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we probably shouldn't have rigged it for him to only be revealed like four or five days later.
Speaker 4: But anyway, so much for Iowa to misstep. Yeah, I was got.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the early state calendar, in its totality just could not be more important. It's the whole ball game from the Obama perspective, like Obama's not the nomine if he doesn't win Iowa because it gave us a huge momentum and it made people over the country believe that he could win. But also it taught us how to organize and we put in place those organizing practices in all the future caucas states and mopped up delegates againstillary Clinton as we went forward, so kept paying out dividends during that long, drawn out, awful primary process. The order will also determine, you know, what policy areas get highlighted, like, for example, Iowa being first meant that we talked about ethanol, probably far too much for far too long.
Speaker 4: That will now we may never talk about him again.
Speaker 3: It may not be as big of an issue we know of New Mexico, a southern border state. We'll see if immigration is more salient this time around. In Michigan, we'll probably hear about autos and unions. In Virginia, maybe doze is an issue again, right, you have a lot of government employees in northern Virginia. It also gives more power to different demographics and you know types of voters, older voters.
Speaker 4: White voters, black voters.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So that's been a big part of the conversation that we'll get into in a minute. But I do think like figuring this out is essential and it really does help and harm specific candidates.
Speaker 1: So I'm a counterpoint. I don't know that I agree with that, So I think you're right. The schedule in early two thousand and eight was very important, in part because Iowa was perfect for Barack Obama to prove that despite being a black candidate, he could put together a coalition of white voters that were hyper engaged, and we built a great organization on the ground. Had Hillary not had a surprising win in New Hampshire, it probably would have been over sooner. But that allowed the race to go back and forth. But it's interesting is the way the race ultimately goes back and forth. It was told as a momentum and narrative, but in reality it was often more about the demographics of the voters in each state, kind of ricocheting back and forth, as like the fundamental dynamics of the race didn't shift. On the other side, you have Joe Biden.
Speaker 6: Becoming the nominee.
Speaker 1: He loses in Iowa, he loses in New Hampshire, but he says, wait for South Carolina. He's able to overcome those early losses because they had set expectations, and he comes out of South Carolina with so much momentum that he's able to clean up on Super Tuesday and become the nominee. So I do think it's important to me. What I think is the most important is where the actual swing states fall in the schedule, right where Michigan is, for example. But sometimes I think we get into this idea of the order of states mattering, when in reality it's partly about the order but also about managing expectation and how campaigns fare over the next few contacts. It can winnow, but I don't know if it's like a a.
Speaker 3: Diffs such as orders New States too. I mean, like let's say if it was instead of South Caroline, Atlina and Nevada, Newmpshire, was Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona. Like, that's sort of what I'm getting. Yeah, having these new states in there will just change the issues and demographics.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's two factors here. There's order and then there's states, right, you know, I do think I think you can make an argument that order doesn't matter as much as everyone thinks it does. I think that which states, the composition of the states in the early window is hugely important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I was getting in a speciality of them, and especially now that there are five, I think.
Speaker 5: You're probably going to have a slower momentum build over time. But if you have five states in the early window before Super Tuesday, and the two last states are very big states like Michigan and Virginia, both of which are also going to be competitive states in the general election, especially Michigan, you are going to know a lot by the time Super Tuesday rolls around about who can put together a campaign that could win almost any demographic group in any region of the country. And like, I find it hard unless you now we Democrats award delegates in each of these states proportionally, unlike Republicans do a lot of winner take all states, so they might who knows, they might change that for twenty eight as well on their side, So you could see a situation Super Tuesday and beyond where it's like an Obama and Hillary.
Speaker 4: Fighting out a delegate battle.
Speaker 5: But I tend to think that having five states go and that many states and that many votes in that period of time is going to pretty much tell you who's the who's down by the time you get to Superdoo, right.
Speaker 1: Right, They all like, by the time you get through those early states, you've been in whiter states, you've been in Latino states, You've been a state with a bigger African American population. By time you get to Michigan, you have some like sort of prominent urban areas that have been you know, strongholds for Democrats.
Speaker 6: You've gotten a good sense of the entire picture.
Speaker 1: Could you achieve that same thing if you did swap into Texas? In Oklahoma, Texas is a big Hispanic population, It's also a border state. Oklahoma is a very white electorate, right, might bring out more hyper engaged Democrats in the same way that say, like in Iowa would in the past. Whatever, I think the part of the reason South Carolina was able to play such a big role in twenty twenty. Is Biden said explicitly, wait for South Carolina, you can't become a demo. You will not be there will not be a Democratic president who doesn't have strong support among African Americans. And then he wins so handily in that state that kind of proves that case, and he kind of is able to march onto the nomination after in.
Speaker 5: Terms of how much it matters, though, Like you got to imagine every single campaign in waiting is after Friday's announcement is like now finally starting to plan their strategy. I mean like it is everything for a campaign knowing, oh god, the state's go first and in order. It's like every decision is made around that.
Speaker 3: Where you travel, what operatives you hire, like yeah. And also there were people who are talking about waiting until after the midterms to figure this out.
Speaker 2: I was like, what are you talking about? You can't possibly do that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I saw that, some of the progressives were like sort of and I had the same things.
Speaker 6: Who's actually upset about this?
Speaker 1: But you know, oh, South Carolina is a boon to more moderate candidates. Well, that's sort of about what you're saying about the African American electorate not being as far to the left as some like the more sort of the wider part of the of the Democratic base. But now for the first time, you might have instead of candidates spending six months in you know, Atkrew White Iowa, you're going to have people spending months and months and months in South Carolina. And it's like, well, that's a great opportunity for the left to prove that they can appeal beyond their sort of online and sort of more less diverse audience.
Speaker 5: With Iowa and New Hampshire finally being dethroned as the first two contests, how do you guys think that changes the race and strategy of these campaigns.
Speaker 3: Well, it's just worth point of the Both states actually have laws on the books mandating their place in the order. The Iowa law says the caucuses have to be held at least eight days before any other primary or caucus. Iowa officials currently want to punt on that fight until after the mid terms for whatever reason, but we'll see what they do. I kind of don't think they're going to fight it. New Hampshire is going to go down swinging in part because you have a Republican governor who is not going to agree to move it, I don't think the day of the primary. So then they're going to be asked to pay for a party funded primary. And if they don't, I mean there's real consequences. I mean, if a state party refuses to abide by the rules, the penalties are now they lose all their delegates at the twenty twenty eight convention. That's up from losing fifty percent of your delegates, and they have to pay a two hundred and seventy thousand dollars fine and lose DNC membership voting rights until the fine is paid off. So that's pretty serious for them.
Speaker 4: And there's penalties for the candidates.
Speaker 3: It's even worse for the candidates. You lose all your delegates from the entire early state nominating window and you're prohibited from a participating in DNC.
Speaker 4: Rule like todata.
Speaker 5: So New Hampshter's going to put on a party run a separate party run primary, or else they are just going to take themselves out of the early state window altogether. That those are the only two options because no one's going to deal with these panels the state of New Hampshire, the candidates, and so I think what they're all grumbling about right now, and what I saw like Kathy Sullivan, who was a former New Hampshire Democratic Party chairwoman, because I had asked about this on Twitter and she replied, She's like, look, we have we're trying to spend money to elect two members of Congress in twenty twenty six and a senator to hus members and a senator, and now we're going to need all this money to put on a primary Like that is a big undertaking. So I'm sure maybe some of this will be bargaining to try to get some money from the DNC, which we'll get to just to put on the primary.
Speaker 4: But that is a big it's you know, it's a big deal.
Speaker 5: There's a possibility if New Hampshire bows out because they don't have the money, they don't want to do this. The only other Northeastern state that applied that would slide into that slot is Delaware, which is kind of interesting. Do you guys like where the DNC landed on this group of states in this particular order.
Speaker 1: I would have liked more swing states, but look, I am not maybe like I just I have so much PTSD from two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, where the calendar was treated as being this very, very important thing, when in reality, the experience of working for Hillary Clinton in that period was she would always do do well enough that she could justify going to the next contest, but not so well as to change the dynamics of the race. And to me, I'm glad, like I'm glad Michigan's there. I think it is actually good that you no longer have this situation where the first two contests that draw so much attention in time for so long are these very white places that don't reflect the broader Democratic electorate. But beyond that, I do think in the end, part of the strategy is where you compete, but also part of it is just how you tell a story about where and when you're going to do best.
Speaker 3: So I look, I'm sad to see I will go because I know all the downsides of Caucasus, We've talked about them, but there is It forces you an invest in organizing, It forces you. It incentivizes a nicer brand of politics because you want to be your opponent's second choice for reasons, don't have to get into so I think that will be missing that. Actually I reached out to a bunch of people who worked in politics just to like get their opinions on what they'd seen, and their responses range from it's good and I like it, it's impossible to know yet because of New Hampshire too, this is going to boom around, boomerang back on us and be a disaster. So what was the argument for that that it's just going to be messy. New Hampshire are going to screw everything up once we get to Northern Virginia. You're going to have like DC, you know, media market spend, people like making a big determination and it will just kind of be a mess and who the hell knows about what New Mexico wid whatever, Like just one person's opinion I felt. My personal take was I feel like the DNC and the RBC did a pretty good job of navigating a very challenging process. I don't think the New Hampshire piece is solved in any way, share or form. I think we're whistling past the graveyard on that, and that's something that's going to have to give there.
Speaker 4: The thing is gonna get What do you mean, Like.
Speaker 3: I just I think New Hampshire is going to fuck around. They don't have the money to pay for this aready run process, and the Republican governor is not going to move the state. So I just I don't know what's going to happen here.
Speaker 1: I think, can you end up with a primary where just the the candidates don't participate?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean Joe Biden won New Hampshire with a write in and they head the delegates didn't right, Like it was like that.
Speaker 4: No, but that's it.
Speaker 5: It's either they find the money to put on the primary or they're out. There's no other out, you know what I'm saying, Like that's and it's just it's going to be up to them to figure out if they can get the money or.
Speaker 3: You have the DNC threats work. No major candidates actually go there. But there's super packs muck around in New Hampshire and stage right in efforts so they can show strength and they get new.
Speaker 4: Cycles at it. Right, So there's all these weird ways that they can kind of mess around. So who knows?
Speaker 2: On South Carolina?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think South Carolina being first, I agree with you, like South Carolina first isn't like a massive change. I think it's a reflection that black voters are the base of the party, either half of the primary elector right there. I think the talk of what you always hear from South Carolina people is we have the track record of actually picking the nominee with who we vote for, and like, that's true, but that's because they went the field was winnowed, and then it gets to South Carolina, so they voted for you know, South Carolina voters picked Obama, Clinton and Biden. My guest is South Carolina will now just kind of be the winnower. It will be the filter function that Iowa, New Hampshire were. I do agree, it's a real bomber that it's just it's not about ground state like you do all this organizing in these early states and then the candidates never go back to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 5: And look, the reason that is is because the laws already in the books, and if you look for other states with heavy populations of black voters to go first, you have to find a state with a Democratic trifectus. They can move the primary date and it's a whole mess. So I sort of feel the same about South Carolina. But I think they did. I think for South Carolina going first, they did a really good job of then balancing out the rest of the calendar because you have I mean, they have diversity, all kinds of diversity, right, racial diversity, geographic diversity, ideological diversity. I also like that the first four states are small states, and so the kind of retail can painting that you got in Iowa New Hampshire, and this will be true if Delaware takes New Hampshire spot you get. So you'll have South Carolina, which is a relatively small state, Nevada, same thing. New Mexico, which is a brand new to this process, which is pretty small.
Speaker 4: I just don't know what to think of that one yet.
Speaker 5: It's New Mexico is interesting. So you have in that state. New Mexico's overall voting eligible population is forty five percent Hispanic. That is the largest percentage of any state in the country. They also have a significant Native American population. Is that's the first time that we have in early state with a pretty significant Native American population. Like you said, tell me, it's a border state, which I think is great. We have a democratic trifect there, so they should be able to move that no problem. It is more non college the voters there than some of the other states, which I also think is helpful because you're going to want to prove that you can win non college voters and not just not just highly college educated voters. That you get a New like you get a New Hampshire.
Speaker 1: What is the different function than of like in their theory that Nevada plays versus New Mexico's No. Mada also has a big Latino population. It is compared to other states, a lower percentage of college voters. Also has Las Vegas, which is a huge important center for unions.
Speaker 6: Right is that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What is the different?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is the what is other than just this is how it shook out, And I'm glad. I liked having Nevada early when we were there. That was one of the last trips we took before COVID.
Speaker 5: Look, I I was on record saying this last time. But boy am I happy. We'll be spending a lot of time.
Speaker 1: It will have no choice, we have to go. Sorry, So what is what is in there? What is the theory of the different role in New Mexico versus Nevada plays? New Mexico is a border state.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't even know if there's a theory of that being different.
Speaker 5: What I took it as is North Nevada and South Carolina we're battling for first, and uh, you know that South Carolina party chair was like, well, if if Nevada goes first, what does that state of black voters that they don't matter as much? And I think you pointed stup to me, love it. So does that mean the reverse is true?
Speaker 4: Then the Latino voters?
Speaker 5: And so now by having two states with significant Latino populations, and Nevada also has a a significant black population as well, not as much as South Carolina, but it does, then you get then you basically have two states in the early window that have pretty heavy Latino populations.
Speaker 1: I'll make another case for this now that I think about it. South Carolina, Nevada, New Mexico. These are states that are not that cold in November, December, January. That is a very that is cool.
Speaker 3: That's what we want for us.
Speaker 5: It's just going to be New Hampshire and I guess Michigan. Michigan will be cold too.
Speaker 3: It'll be very cool.
Speaker 5: What do you guys make of the like the South Carolina disadvantages progressives a progressive candidate.
Speaker 4: I think it's probably right.
Speaker 3: I mean that the South Carolina Democratic primary electorate, it's older, more moderate than Iowa, New Hampshire, or Nevada. About forty percent of South Carolina Democratic primary voters were college graduates. About half identified as liberal, which is less than earlier contest. This is I think twenty twenty exit polls. They're more likely to be working class, more likely to go to church once a week older. Biden won South Carolina twenty twenty because you won with black voters, but he did especially well with black voters over sixty. He and Bernie actually, I think tied with black voters under thirty. So I do think it's likely to be demographically set up to be more moderate.
Speaker 1: As we were saying before, like if you're saying that you think South Carolina is a way to put a roadblock in front of progressives, you are saying that a black electorate is a roadblock in front of progressive Now. I think the point that would be made in response is, as Tommy said, a generational thing, not a demographic thing. But of course it's both, and we have seen like you know, you see this in Michigan, playing out that one of a duel's challenges is trying to kind of build support in the black community. And I feel like this is an opportunity for the left if they want to start building a bigger coalition that can win in contest like this, right, like because South Carolina that is where Bernie goes down.
Speaker 6: In twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Like, if that's that is, that is the test, and it may not happen this election. You're right, it may be harder because of this. But also at the same time, even if if South Carolina was third, fourth, or fifth, this test was always there, the candidate that that wins black voters is going to be the nominated.
Speaker 5: Well, this is where I think that the order matters maybe less or at least can cut both ways. Because let's say South Carolina is does advantage more moderate candidates. Well, then you know, so a fifth of South Carolina primary voters describe themselves as very liberal, which is relatively low. And then you go to Nevada and a third of voters there describe themselves as very liberal. So like, if you're a progressive, lefty candidate and you don't do well in South Carolina, you hang on and you go to Nevada, you go to New Hampshire or Delaware, you go to you try you know, like so there's there's basically there's a state on the map in that early window for any kind of ideal, ideological flavor or you know, different kind of voter that you can get. So I don't worry as much about that. I wouldn't worry if I was a progressive candidate or if I was an establishment candidate on like the order that way.
Speaker 3: One under discussed change though, is Nevada going from a caucas state to a primary state, which I think is will medically to disadvantage progressives potentially because there's you know, some progressives tend to organize well in these caucas states, and unions tend to do better than unions tend to do really well in caucas states, which interesting to see how that kind of cuts I don't know yet.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, the fact that there's no Caucasus means it's disadvantaging. I mean that that's yeah, Progressives do better in Caucasus for sure, but even without the Caucus, and Nevada will have like a more liberal primary life sure than South Carolina. Dan made an argument in his Saturday message box, the South Carolina going first massively advantages Kamala Harris.
Speaker 4: What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 1: So I saw that and I thought, huh, that's interesting from Dan. And then I went back and looked at the South Carolina polling from before Kamala ended her campaign. And she drops out in the end of twenty nineteen before any votes are cast, But in the closing weeks of the year, there were polls that had her somewhere between say, five to twelve percent. I think she sort of like ticking down a bit as we got closer, and so.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was like, maybe that's true, right, But part of the reason she ended her campaign when she did is she just wasn't gaining traction, even in a state.
Speaker 4: Like South Carolina. Yeah, where do you think some mean?
Speaker 3: I think you know. Basically, the argument is that black voters are half the elector in South Carolina, that Kamala Harris has the most support from black voters by far in polls, she has sixty nine percent favorability with black voters plus forty two. You're right that, like her presidential run in twenty twenty, did not end well in South Carolina or any state. But that was just a bad campaign that didn't end well for her, And I think four years of being VP probably changed a lot of things. I think certainly it look does it make her the front runner? Yes, But being the front runner's double edged sword, because the early states are not necessarily about winning. All the early states about expectations, management and exceeding expectations in the early States. And when you're the early on front runner and everyone assumes you're gonna romp in South Carolina for the following reasons, it puts a big old bulls eye on your back, and the media looks for better, more interesting stories to tell for them.
Speaker 4: That's what That's what I thought.
Speaker 5: And it's like, as soon as South Carolina's over, now you've got four other states for that month, including two very big ones at the end. And does anyone think that the media, like, no matter how good of a campaign she's running, is going to be like, yeah, it's the Kamala Harris front runner story all through February.
Speaker 4: Like that's just not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: So it goes from like, oh wow, South Carolina advantages is Kamala Harris to Kamala Harris is the only candidate that has a state.
Speaker 6: If she loses, it's over right.
Speaker 4: That's true, definitely true.
Speaker 5: Well, the other thing we haven't talked about is if Wes Moore runs or Rafael Warnock, like she's not the only black candidate that might run for president, and then you could have black candidates splitting votes you could have and then you know, it's interesting, Like the two things that you need to know before we're starting to think about how the race is going to go and plan your strategy as a campaign. One is the early state calendar, which is now locked. Two is the composition of the field exactly. You need to know who's running, who's gonna split what vote, how they're going to like that that part we don't know yet. But like there is a situation too where if it's just Kamala Harris, if she's the only black candidate running and she's doing really well with black voters in South Carolina, then because the state is more moderate overall, and you have a bunch of white moderates running aside from Kamala Harris, then they're all splitting a vote and then maybe the progressive candidate or two does even better.
Speaker 4: So just and that's just an example. We have no idea.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, yeah, I do think, like, you know, some of the kind of like Pete Budajeedge, who has historically had a really hard time with black voters, like it's probably now a disadvantage. Bernie Sanders, were he to run again, was probably a bit of a disadvantage for the reasons we just discussed. A lot of the conventional wisdom is also that AOC came out of this new primary process helped because she does well with latinos and with labor. We'll see if she runs, we'll see if that's true. But I'm mostly with you guys that like a lot of the early attempts to kind of you know, handicap this race are just silly.
Speaker 4: We don't know what it's going to look like.
Speaker 5: Ron Brownstein, who digs into these demographics and them better than most, he said that the only one through line for all of the states is the candidate who's going to be able to do best with black voters and white college educated voters as well, is probably going to do the best because aside from Nevada and New Mexico, you don't have a lot of states with non college, big non college populations, and he was like, you know, last last candidate who have done that to bring that coalition together is Barack Obama. Right, it's the white Libs and the black Democrats. So we'll see.
Speaker 1: Pods of America is brought to you by Magic Spoon. We love Magic Spoon. It says here to mention the macros. But you know what, I don't deal in macros. I deal in delicious, delicious, high protein, low carb cereal. Magic Spoon treats are crispy airy protein pack snackbars or twelve grams of protein, seven grams of fib or zero grams of added sugar, two three neck carbs and certified GF. They're perfect for tossing in your bag, keep you in the car, grabbing between meetings. We're crushing when a sweet craving hits at night. Flavors include marshmallow, chocolate, peanut butter, double chocolate, and more. Very nostalgic, very dessert coated, but without loading you up on sugar. I love Magic Spoon. For a time there was only peanut butter and chocolate, and I had to do chemistry myself. I took a big, a little Compound Pharmacy for breakfast, but now you can get chocolate, peanut butter all there together. Magic Spoon is easy to find. Just look for Magic Spoon at your local grocery store and they just rolled out treats nationwide at seven eleven. And if you haven't tried the meat, checkout Magic Spoons. Do Protein pastries, a high protein, low sugar take on the classic toaster pastries you grew up with. You get five dollars off of your next order, including the protein pastries. It's great because I'm so sick of sticking a slice of turkey in my poptarts.
Speaker 4: It doesn't taste good.
Speaker 1: So go to magicspooon dot com slash crooked that's magicspoon dot com slash cricket for five dollars off.
Speaker 3: This podcast is sponsored by Squarespace. Squarespace is the all in one website platform designed to elevate your online presence and drive your success. Squarespace provides all the tools you need to promote and get paid for your services in one platform. Whether you offer consultations, events, or other experiences, Squarespace can help you grow your business. Squarespace offers a complete library of professionally designed and award winning website templates with options for every use and category. No matter where you start, your website is flexible to what you need with intuitive drag and drop editing, beautiful styling options, unrivaled visual design effects on brand ai content, and more ways to list what you offer. No experience required. Every dream needs a domain. Squarespace Domains makes it easy to find the best name for your business at one fair, all inclusive price, no hidden fees or add ons required. Every Squarespace domain comes with advanced private seeing security tools included to ensure your domain remains online and protected. Plus, Squarespace provides everything you need to bring more of your dream to life, whether that means building a website or adding professional email service. Don't wait to claim your name. Invest in your dream domain today. Head to squarespace dot com for a free trial, and when you're ready to launch, go to squarespace dot com slash crooked to save ten percent off your first purchase of a website or domain. That's squarespace dot com slash crooked.
Speaker 5: Speaking of the DNC, seems like Ken Martin had a bad Sunday uh The New York Times Notice and the Bulwark all ran stories about what The Times calls the troubled broke Democratic Party. The Time story was certainly the newsiest and most damning for Martin. It includes a story about him throwing his phone at the desk of a junior staffer, which resulted in a formal HR complaint, and another where Martin freaked out on a call about the party's finances because he thought his staff was planning.
Speaker 4: A coup and they were like, no, we're just talking about the money.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 1: No coup sounds like just the usual leave it freciating the name.
Speaker 5: But the real meat of the story is the party's financial struggles under Martin, which are quite real. We already knew that the DNC is two million dollars in debt after taking out a fifteen million dollar loan, and more than one hundred million dollars behind the RNC and fundraising, but apparently the situation is so bad that the DNC is asking vendors not to invoice them until after the midterms, and for the first time, the DNC will not be transferring any money to the House and Senate committees to help them win the midterms. According to the Times quote, party officials are now reckoning with the fact that they must begin to repay one point sixty six million dollars of the loan's principle per month starting in January.
Speaker 1: Otherwise, pretty nice building will be shame. Is something more to happen to it?
Speaker 5: What'd you guys make of these stories? Did anything in them make you more worried than you already were?
Speaker 1: Can I just read a great entry in one of my favorite parts of an insider story like this, which is a leak about leaks quote. It pisses me off when I see leaks out of this building, mister Martin said, according to four people who had heard the remarks, adding no more.
Speaker 4: I don't know that that reporters like this.
Speaker 1: Is gonna go for so funny.
Speaker 6: Then no more.
Speaker 1: It's just a brutal thing.
Speaker 6: Leaks about leaks. I love it.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 3: So I reached out some of the DNC staff Ken Martin's defenders. I can offer that perspective. I don't know if you guys want to start with reflections on the story.
Speaker 4: No, no, you can. We'll reflect after that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what they would say is, what's em bursting a video over here? Let's hear them then thank you for doing the work.
Speaker 4: I'm great grateful to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you make one phone call, you.
Speaker 4: A Woodward in this building.
Speaker 3: So they would point out that through June of twenty twenty six, the DNC raised more money than the DNC did in the entire twenty seventeen twenty eighteen cycles. I love that talking a comparable period. Yeah, when Democrats did not hold the White House. They also argue they had more cash on hand than the DNC did in twenty nineteen. So their argument is the media narrative is that this is like some historic disaster, when in fact, like there's recent precedent that there actually have improved upon. They would also say, like, let's look at the investments or we're making. The DNC gave one hundred thousand dollars to the Mississippi Democratic Party right before a special election that broke a Republican super majority. Obviously good thing. The DNC gave money to South Carolina and now, for the first time in fifty years, South Carolina recruited a candidate to run in every state house race, state wide race, and congressional race. So that there's sort of a talking point where in ken substack about this where he's like, we ninety percent of the races, we've overperformed or won. I think that's taking credit for the political environment and people being mad at Donald Trump. But you know it's evidence, right, It's results matter now. I also talked to some people who worked in the DNC in that period of twenty seven to twenty eighteen period for Tom Perez, and they'll say, the thing you have to remember is that everyone hated the DNC in twenty seventeen because they blamed them for Hillary losing, and they blamed them for Bernie getting screwed.
Speaker 4: So money wasn't really coming into doors.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, they walked into the building with seventeen million dollars in debt. The major fundraising team had been laid off, so they were had a standing start, and at least thirty million dollars of Ken's fundraising total was Kamala Harris raising money to retire her own debt. So I think those people would also conceide, like, yeah, that twenty seventeen twenty eighteen period fundraising wasn't good, but comparing to the not good period is still bad.
Speaker 5: Also, they still in that election did transfer money to the House and Senate committees, which they're not going to do this year.
Speaker 1: Well, it's also, hey, in this game that we're losing, we actually have more goals than the previous team. So well, you're not playing against the DNC from twenty eighteen, you're playing against the Republicans in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: So the last point I think I'm just making response to the Ken Too, is like, Okay, you're telling us you've raised all this money, but you're still two million in debt. Like that suggests mismanagement and misspending, you know what I mean, It's like a double the talking point is a double edge story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my my feeling about it, which is like before sort of diving into all these stories like oh there's a massive fundraising problem at the DNC. We're being out raised by a huge amount, and then you read the defense, it's like, wow, actually, you know, it's we're out of power, but they're they raise the fundraising is actually comparable, if not better. Okay, then where did all the money go out? And then the test is if you really are going to say that we've been it's not a fundraising issue. We've been using the money to kind of build infrastructure, well, then it's incumbent upon you to show how that's going to benefit Democrats in the mid terms and beyond, and then you think, well, hold on, that was the strategy. Where So, right now Democratic candidates have been out raising. Republican candidates are in the Republican House Committee and the Republican Senate Committee are out raising, not not to the same degree as the DNC, R and C, but are outraising the candidate committees. And the RNC has over one hundred million dollars more on hand than the DNC does.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Before the Supreme Court ruled that the party parties could spend at the same lower rate as candidates, there's an argument to say, you know what, the DNC should raise money, get it out the door for building infrastructure, focus fundraising for the candidates. Those candidates can then buy ads at a cheaper rate than the parties. But that advantage is now gone, that doesn't exist anymore, and so they have more money in their super PACs, their their candidate their their candidate committees have more money, and the RNC has more money and all of that is just puts puts the Republicans at a huge advantage for buying ads. Over the Democrats. And so then you say, well, uh, that is the statuok, regardless of what money went out the door, Like, that is the situation right now. So what do you do to get out of the hole. The answer isn't to point to how much worse it could have been or how much different. It is like, we are behind. How do you close that gap?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and doesn't seem like there's any answers on that from the from the DNC. And it's not like they are sort of denying any of the stories.
Speaker 3: You didn't throw the phone. It slid next to someone else who didn't own the phone.
Speaker 5: Rufus Gifford who we all know. Rufus He was on the Obama campaign. He was the finance director of the DNC Toothful near You. He worked there for eight years. He wrote the substack today. He loves the place he worked. He was the finance director on Obama's reelect, on Biden's reelect. So he's been around for a long time. He didn't have a dog in the fight on Ken versus Ben or anything else. But he said in his subject post the DNC is spiraling towards irrelevance, and that Ken Martin is a good man with good intentions, but simply not meeting this critical moment, and his chairmanship is beyond saving.
Speaker 1: And wait till that email goes out where he says to everybody coming to that big DNC meeting, one slice of pizza per person. That's all we can do right now. No second slices at this meeting. I was just just we cannot afford it.
Speaker 3: I once worked on a campaign where our paychecks were delayed until the next year to make like the FEC report look better, so we had more cash on hand. And by the way, it didn't suggest a healthy campaign, and the things were going well. But then a reporter called and asked one of our spokespeople if staff had been asked to delay their paychecks to make our FEC report look better. And this flag said no, because we'd just been told that we would not be getting paid over Christmas.
Speaker 4: We were not asked.
Speaker 3: So yeah, that was a memory Lane.
Speaker 5: I mean, I said the question. I was like, what can be done about this? Because we're all in this situation together, We're all, you know, like we all need the DNC to be successful, in the Democratic Party to be successful. You know, there is a scenario. We were talking to someone where once we have a nominee, the nominee of the party installs their person to the DNC and you know, tries to go around Ken and raises all the money. But you know, between now and getting a nominee, we need to figure like the party needs to figure something out on like how to raise the money that we're gonna need, especially with the Supreme Court decision. As you said, love it where now the Democratic National Committee, it's going to be really really important for them to have a ton of money before there's even a nominee.
Speaker 3: This is a you know, like this is the terrible fundraising and the autopsy report and the interview with you, this is all compounded into a crisis of confidence with DNC leadership and it is just not going to improve. And it's time to make a change, I think, and I think Chuck Schumer and Hackeing Jeffries need to go to Ken Martin and say we got to do something different here, and they need to get someone else in there that just has confidence of big donors of parties, et cetera. And yeah, like we it just can't overstate how important this Supreme Court ruling is in terms of erasing the Democratic Party advantage that we used to have because small dollars would flow to our candidates who would get preferential rates on ad bys, and then you'd have Republican super PACs having to spend ten times the same amount for the same ad Now that advantage is gone, yep, and we are. That just makes a hole even deeper. And so like like if I'm Chuck Schumer, like you're trying to win a set of majority, if you're hockeing Jeffries, you're trying to become speaker, this is existential for.
Speaker 5: Them, I mean beyond those because for them, it's like, you know, the midterms are in a couple of months, that ship is sailed. Every Democrat running for president, every one of these campaigns is in their interest to like BacT together on this, to like all go to these.
Speaker 3: I don't think it should have saled for the midterms. I think you could get a new person in tomorrow who could bring like a bunch of big donors to send a message and raise one hundred million dollars in like a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: I really like think although I think on that though the only reason I say that is because if yes, but then why not just send the money right to the d SEC and the d triples c.
Speaker 4: There's no need to give the DNC money before the midterms.
Speaker 1: Sure is again like I'm taking Ken's work like I read your long stop stack. But if you look at like the like what his claim is, then there's actually is a.
Speaker 6: Fair amount of money coming in.
Speaker 1: And so what I don't understand is like there's this sort of like hand ringing, Oh, there's nothing we can do before November if you're if there's this little amount of money on hand, but like what something like eight point six million is coming in every month at the lead, Like why can't there be a change in priorities where you kind of do say, from this point forward, we are going to be devoting these resources towards winning in November, and this is the amount that's going to be directed towards this as opposed to whatever kind of the longer term kind of money that's going out the door per month. Is Like, that's what I don't That's what I came away I was confused by.
Speaker 4: There's just there's a vicious cycle. And you know, Wickler was.
Speaker 5: As usual very generous and kind, didn't want to shut over Ken Martin. But you know, when there are stories like these, it just deepens the problem because now who's going to want to give money to the d n C after reading stories like this? Right, like, and so it's a it's a vicious cycle. I did think one more funny moment from the New York Times story is he's like he's he's got this staff meeting and he's trying to like pluck everyone up, and he says, my success is your success. So the weaker I am, the weaker all of you are, which is true.
Speaker 3: It's just a weird thing to say to your stats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this seems so inspiring. I don't know, that's the best pep talk I've ever heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think it's a get through. Like the other thing too, is any like if you're a presidential Canada starting next year, and they're like, well, what do you think of Ken Martin, you would just like, you know, the president will choose a new DNC chair, right like, we will have a better you know, they're all going to say they're going to choose a new dn C chair. So it's just like, let's move that up a little let's get this, let's get through the minterm swamp this guy out, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's just like when when we swapped Kamala for Biden. I think the DNC raised like a billion dollars in one hundred days. You know, there's a lot they could do it, Strift, we were to make a change, I think, you know what. In Ken's substack, he says, we must communicate and organize year round. While one of the things that we learned in this New York Times story is that after the Pat American interview, Ken has only done like one local TV hit.
Speaker 4: So I'm not saying people in Erie got.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: It is primarily a fundraising job, right, We don't expect him out doing to be out doing message events. But Rufus Skifford then his substack made the point that when the DNC chair does a lot of TV that gets shared, that gets seen by donors, it makes them want to donate and be involved and kind of like keeps you in the mix. And then also you have like the DNC has got a lot of great staff and they must feel beyond demoralized and they're supposed to be doing things like year around. You know Research and Comms and Digital on Republicans. They're doing mobilization. They have this big like Creator program, you know, the RBC. The Rules Committee just diuch a really good job on the calendar, and.
Speaker 1: You need more hype reels for Ken and it's just like Creators.
Speaker 3: I just feel bad for this team of people, not just because the phones are flying, but because, like you feel like your work is getting denigrated in the news all the time, and you don't have the leadership you need and you know it's important, and like it just must be frustrating not to be able to fix it.
Speaker 4: Just because the phones are flying.
Speaker 1: Podda of America's brought you by Higher. We're only beginning to understand the impact of ultra process foods on our health, and especially on the health of our kids. That's exactly why High exists to get parents a real solution in a market flooded with kids vitamins that prioritize candy like appeal over actual nutrition. Some children's vitamins on the market today could tain up to seven grams of sugar preserving and are stuffed with artificial additives and petroleum based dies. Hya took the opposite approach, zero sugar, zero gummy additives, just clean nutrition. Hya created a powerful chewable vitamin that packs a blend of twelve organic fruits and vegetables, plus fifteen essential vitamins and minerals into every dose, designed for kids two and up. Highest ship straight to your door. You get this awesome reusable bottle with your first order and they send refills every month.
Speaker 3: As you know, Charlie Favreau is the huge fan of high vitamins, and he was telling me that he just solved the halting problem. Oh, the halting problem is famous by Alan Turing.
Speaker 1: I believe, yeah. I think he's related to girdles work. Oh I think. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think the girdles in completeness, there is it in there. He solved those two, so said, he figured it out.
Speaker 1: Wow, he fired the arrow through all those axes.
Speaker 6: That's so amazing.
Speaker 1: That's how he could reveal to Penelope that he was down to clown.
Speaker 3: I guess all because he took High vitamins, which tastes delicious.
Speaker 1: By the way, They're great and near something every parent need to hear. If getting your kids seat their vegetables feels impossible. High as new kids daily Greens plus Superfoods is a total game changer. It's a Greens pownders designed specifically for kids that are packed with fifty five plus whole food source ingredients. Just mix one scoop with milk or a milk alternative and watch them actually enjoy something that's secretly fueling their growing bodies. We worked out a special deal with HIA for their best selling children's vitamins. Received fifty percent off your first order. To claim this deal, you must go to Higher Help dot com slash crooked. This deal is not available on their regular website. High Health HI y A H E A L T h dot com slash crookeet and get your kids the full body nourishment they need to grow into healthy adults.
Speaker 3: Podza of America is brought to you by in Neutrifol. Summer calendars are filling up fast weddings, concerts, sports events, backyard barbecues. It feels like every weekend has something going on, and when you're out seeing people and making memories, confidence in your appearance is nice to have in your back pocket. Adding neutrifol to your daily routine is a step in the right direction. Neutrafol is the number one dermatologist recommended hair growth supplement brand, and it's the numbnumber one hair growth supplement brand personally used by dermatologists. Neutrifols hair grow supplements are peer reviewed, NSF certified for sport and clinically tested. It's not a one size fits all approach. Neutrifoil offers multiple formulas for men and women tailored to different life stages like postpartum or menopause, plus your individual lifestyle factors such as a plant based diet, so you can get support that's actually right for you.
Speaker 1: I'm on it, Tommy, It's great.
Speaker 3: Is it good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm like a lion. Great, I'm like a lion. Now it's happened to me. Hair looks red light there. But I do neutrafil. I do everything else. Oh yeah, and it's working the nutrifil.
Speaker 4: Here's how you get the neutrafil.
Speaker 3: You order online, No prescription is needed, with automated deliveries and free shipping to keep you on track. Plus, with a Neutriphile subscription, you can save up to twenty percent and get added perks like free headspace membership. If you've been looking for an excuse to take the plunge on meditation s nice bonus. Let your hair become one less thing taken up space in your head and see thicker, stronger, faster growing hair with less shedding on your head in just three to six months with neutrifol taking.
Speaker 1: My hair taking up of space in the drain.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. For a limited time, Neutrifol is offering our listeners ten dollars off your first month subscription free shipping. When you visit neutrofold dot com enter the promo code crooked. That's neutrofold dot com spelled nut r afol dot com promo code crooked.
Speaker 5: So Michigan's in the early state lineup because it remains one of the most critical swing states, and this false Senate race there is going to be one of the most hotly contested. The primary already is hotly contested. Trump with there on Monday to tour a GM facility and appear alongside Mike Rodgers, the Republican nominee for Senate, who will face off against either Abdul elsa Ed or Hailey Stevens, though neither were mentioned during Trump's speech. He did, however, go hard at the DSA wing of the party.
Speaker 7: If they're siding with the radical left communists taking over the party. They want, in other words, the normal socialists who can destroy a country too, they're not going fast up. Communism is the greatest threat to our country and history, including even World War one, World War two, Pearl Harbor or nine to eleven. I mean, this is a serious.
Speaker 5: Threat in that order, World War one, World War two, Pearl Harbor, nine to eleven. It was like the normal socialist. Then he caught in said he's like the normal socialists who could also destroy the country normally.
Speaker 3: You gotta not forget that that's important to hit What was that Cold War fever dream?
Speaker 2: Nonsense?
Speaker 4: Very weird.
Speaker 5: I was kind of surprised that Trump held back from mentioning the Senate race. What do you guys think that's about. I think he's suddenly a stickler for the Hatch Act.
Speaker 4: It was an official event.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 5: Neither did Mike Rogers, Like I thought they would be. I thought he would hit a duel.
Speaker 1: I thought it was all well, yeah, I mean, Abduall wants a fight with Trump right now, right, Presumably Democrats would love to watch Abduell be in a fight with Trump right now. So maybe the idea would be if you if you pick this fight, you're going to take attention into the race. And but they kind of want Abdul to come out of the thing.
Speaker 6: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing, right, Like what you'll hear from Haley Stephens supporter is that the Republicans want to face the duel because they think he's weak. If that were so, you would think that they would elevate him in this moment right before the primary. It's weird that they didn't. I don't know why. I mean, it could just be because Trump is dumb and forgot his name and like you know, was supposed to do it as a communist rep.
Speaker 5: And there is some evidence too that that they do want that, because Mike Rodgers was like there was a recording of Mike Rodgers on a call with Dinners saying like, I think if it's a duel, were in good shape. And so you know there is evidence for that. But they it remarkably disciplined from from Donald Trump there, or maybe it wasn't disciplined.
Speaker 4: Maybe you just forgot.
Speaker 1: Maybe it doesn't care, right, or is there any Is there any argument that Trump and Rogers think if they publicly pick a fight with a duel it helps Hailey Stevens.
Speaker 6: Is there any can you make that argument?
Speaker 1: Like that's why I mean, Rogers is behind the scenes and the kind of kind of to try to be like I'm excited about a duel, which is the perfect thing to help Haley Stephens.
Speaker 6: It's not a public fight. Uh yeah, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 5: They also might be thinking that if Hailey Stevens wins, you know, they don't want to. They want to they want to label them both as communists.
Speaker 6: Right, they don't want to do it.
Speaker 5: Brian Kemp treatment, Yeah, right, Hayley Stevens wins, They're not going to like, oh, we really wanted to, you know, like they're gonna act like she's as left wing as possible.
Speaker 4: Right, That's what they do. Meanwhile, Abduel, who.
Speaker 5: As you know, we're all supporting in the race, was quoted in Playbook on Monday morning telling donors on a private call, a lot of these private calls, these zooms, you got to you gotta get these zooms.
Speaker 4: They're not that private, no kidding.
Speaker 5: So he was telling donors at a private call that all the money and political power being used against him makes him look like David against Goliath, presumably meeting both Haley Stevens and Apek, and how if he wins, he'll have a massive platform and will start primary e Senate moderates, including John Fetterman. What'd you guys think of his assessment of things?
Speaker 3: I mean, like, I say, this would love for abduel, but I thought it was not good. You know, Like my first argument would be, you gotta win the general election first and then talk about this stuff like you're spiking the football in the thirty yard line. Let's win the primary. Let's win the general, then you can maybe talk about twenty twenty eight.
Speaker 4: If you want.
Speaker 3: Also, I'm sure what happened was he was trying to pump up donors and supporters. But you have to know this stuff is going to leak. It always leaks, and the ogre comment is getting taken out of context like people are so justin Bie.
Speaker 5: He said, oh sorry, I didn't mention that he said this will help me put an ogre.
Speaker 3: On a pike, right, which is about John Fetterman. People are suggesting he was comparing Hailey Stevens to an ogre, it does not sound like he was doing that in any way. But also, don't call John Fetterman an ogre. You know, it's not helpful. I think it kind of plays into this belief among a lot of Democrats that the left wing of the party is far more focused on going after moderate Democrats than Republicans. Let's I too find John Fetterman very frustrating on a lot of issues, but he's an elected Democrat senator in a swing state. Let's beat the Republicans first and talk about that. And I think my other just like big picture comment for a duel is take every sentence where you say I and replace it with we. This campaign is not about you and what you're going to do in twenty eight or whatever. It's about the movement. It's about what we are going to do to make people's lives better, the issues we're going to elevate, like the way you're going to fight for Michigan. I just think it was it was not good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the second interview, or this is the second sort of Uh, the first was an interview, this was least recording. But the second time we've gotten sort of, uh, this sort of tone for me that Semaphore interview, I think was that at a similar level of like, I don't know, it's like hostility and kind of uh like grandiosity to it. But also it's punditry. And as a rule, if you're a candidate and you're doing punditry, that is a mistake. That is, if you think of the growth always with the donors, but the donors, everyone's a.
Speaker 4: Tray with the donors. Is the worst set is that it's just that's where it happens all the time.
Speaker 1: That's where Mitt Romney says fifty two percent.
Speaker 4: Barack Obama says bitter guns and religion.
Speaker 1: Like that, Like Hillary, I think Deplorables was the classic was that was a fundraiser?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, fundraisor.
Speaker 1: So so it's a common trap that you're sort of like analyzing the electorate and if you're doing that as a candidate, by the way, which is something he understands in his interviews where he's actually very like he did an interview with uh Dasha Burns and even she was like, my god, you're on message throughout this entire thing, but kind of lets loose one. I think he thinks he's in prior it. The other part of it, too, though, is like it's got to be frustrating because you're campaigning against Hailey Stevens, who's getting all this attention for having this awe shocks pure Michigan thing and then Apax dropping like thirty million dollars on their head. They're like, put a sort of salad in in his fucking hands.
Speaker 4: Uh, we'll see, we'll see what the odds are.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think for progressive candidates that tend to do well have a sunnier disposition. There is they do express anger, of course, but there's a sunnier disposition. And what Abdul has nailed is the liberal patriotism. And we saw that with the when the protester Jake Lang, like you know, interrupted one of his events and he talked in they basically they shotted him out with the USA chan and Dull give this speech. So he's got he's got that part down. But you can't be also, you have to look, you have to be happy all the time and not be uh and uh and not be hostile to your opponents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that's the key.
Speaker 1: I was like, there's something deeper that this is not about Abdul.
Speaker 6: There is a like.
Speaker 1: A bad faith critique from the left that takes I think what is largely a true argument about the influence of money and politics. And by the way, it's just for saying, like what's happening in Michigan is fucking crazy. This is the biggest outside spend by APAC. Ever, it's thirty maybe on any Senate race ever as in a primary, all being dumped on his head like that is what is on television and the ad like that. There's two ads that are going around that are like that are just like really manipulative to like say that like a duel is bad for women, right, taking some quotes out of context. But at the same time, like when Whitmer endorses Hailey Stevens, it's because she's bought and sold, right, And like I don't believe Gretchen Whitmer is bought and sold, and I don't think most Democrats in Michigan believe Kretcha Whitmer is like bought and sold.
Speaker 5: She backed to Hailey Stevens because she probably thinks Hailey Stevens is a better chance of winning.
Speaker 3: That's it, and it doesn't help you probably to attack in pretty personal terms, a very popular democrat in the state you are trying to represent. And my guess, you know there's some old bad blood there from twenty eighteen when they ran against each other.
Speaker 1: But so when and when I'm doing.
Speaker 4: Just got to eat shit. That's the whole that's that's running for politics.
Speaker 1: And so like when Abdula is asked in that interview about like whether he identifies as a socialist, he says, I don't identity like what, and he actually won't answer where he disagrees with Bernie and AOC and he says, like, I just don't identify as a socialist. I like appreciate some version of I appreciate capitalism. I'm sorry, I'm just going to be a nuanced guy. I'm a nuanced guy, right, But that nuance doesn't like especially I get why in the heat of a primary. But like you know, when like you say, the root of our housing problem is is corporate money, When the root of this problem is corporate money, It's just like I get why it works on the stump, I get why it's a valuable way of simplifying what's happening, but I think it starts to feel I don't know, like uh like like turning this race into like a black and white Manichean struggle, which is what comes off in these private conversations.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So.
Speaker 5: Trump also used the Michigan appearance to provide an update on his uh on again, off again war and Iron, which suddenly appears to be off again after Trump threatened a massive attack last week. The US officials told reporters that the shrinking supply of air defense systems was at least partly responsible for the pause, which Trump, of course blamed on Biden. We also find out this weekend that the four service members who recently died in the Around War are no longer listed in the Pentagon's casualty count for the Around War. Instead, the Pentagon moved the tally of their deaths to a new section generically called Overseas Operations Casualties. They also updated the number of injuries to over six hundred. Here's what Trump had to say about the war on the flight to Michigan and at his event there.
Speaker 7: Well. Iron took a meeting over the last fourteen days and the ass very nicely please stop. Let's me and that's where we are right now.
Speaker 4: To see what happens to me.
Speaker 7: When the fuel comes down, which it did for a little while. Then they didn't behave and I had to go back, and now they're behaving again.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like playing a banjo.
Speaker 5: Is it like playing a banjo? It's like, in what way is the around war like playing a banjo?
Speaker 1: I think I know what that is.
Speaker 3: Tell me.
Speaker 1: I think that what he is thinking of is the song that goes back and forth from the film Deliverance, but a bum bum bum bum bum bum bumb but a bum bum bum bum bum bum bum.
Speaker 6: In the film Deliverance.
Speaker 5: I know, I know that that is what I'm still struggling with, so back and forth, because it back.
Speaker 1: And forth, it's going to squeal like a pig in this one, I think. I think, I think, I think it's us fuck sucks.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Tommy, What's what do you think? What's what's going on right now? I mean, we're losing the war.
Speaker 3: The Straight of Horror moves was once uncontested, and now it's contested. And I think in the long run. Iran geographic, you guys noticed on the map that's where it is. It's in the Straight of Horror. Moose so I feel like they have the upper hand there. The New York Times reported that American intelligence agencies believe that Iran's new Supreme leader, Mushta Bahamane, is far more interested than his father in acquiring a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 4: So that's good.
Speaker 6: That's not what JD. Van said.
Speaker 1: I thought that they were becoming friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the father had sworn off nukes. There was a fatwa against them. Obviously the people questioned that, but many anealists thought it was a genuine sentiment. And now there's quite an argument for getting a nuclear weapon. I think the long term impact of the war as is is like just it's going to be sporadic economic disruption for a very long time potentially, and that increases the likelihood of US service members getting killed or wounded. The same goes for civilians and Iran, by the way, and anyone living in the Gulf, you know, in a base where the Iranians are firing at, I mean, people are getting killed all the time.
Speaker 4: It is led.
Speaker 3: There's just growing instability. I mean you're now noticing, like the hu Thise rebels are getting involved in the war where before they had not. There's these reports that the Saudis or the Amorades are directly engaging with Iran and firing missiles or you know, bombs into their territory. So it's just the war's metastasizing and growing. It's wildly expensive. You know, we have Heseth and others going to Congress and they want a one point five trillion dollars Pentagon budget next year. I mean, that's insane. And the munitions issue is a really big, long term problem that you can't fix. There's all these interceptor missiles, there's the FAD system, there's the Patriot stockpile that's down by half. There's all these air to air missiles that are running low. There's the Tea Lamb or Tomahawks that would be like there's all these war games of US war with China where you run out of Tomawk missiles in like a week with the full stockpile, and now we're way down on those. And in many cases these cost millions and millions of dollars each and they can take as long as twenty thirty to replenish them. So it just feels like everything he's done has sort of made our posture weaker, both in the Gulf and Visa v China, which Trump ran on telling us was the big geostrategic problem going forward.
Speaker 5: And now one of the political problems of any war, which is US service members dying and being injured. Now they're handling that by just deciding to do some creative accounting where they hide the death from US for as long as they can, or the injuries or then now they're listing them. Listing them is overseas operations casualties is despicable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really is like the options of well, he can escalate, right, it's actually it sort of mirrors what happens in our domestic politics where Trump's has Trump has to like threaten greater and greater chaos for the markets to take him seriously. Uh, And so the markets have to respond more forcefully in order to get him to back off whatever the latest threat is, be a tariffs or some other economic policy that would be destructive going after the FED.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: And so now he has to threaten this new every single You know, this is going to be an escalation on like anything we've ever seen. It's going to make the early stage of the war look like a fireworks show.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Because he has to, because the only he has to ratchet up the threat because uh, that's I guess all he has in terms of trying to get some control over over Iran and get them to to sort of relent on the Strait of Hormuz. So that's one dangerous path. The other is some kind of increasing sanctions, economic crackdown, right, like to sort of try to squeeze around that way. And then finally it's like just saying we did it. But even that option, which is I think something we're like, oh well he should just declare victory and walk away, that's not really available anymore because that Iran will continue to control the strait.
Speaker 6: O her moves.
Speaker 1: The fake outcome where he says we got a better deal than Obama had, even if it's worse, is not available anymore because we've been so thoroughly sort of bodied by their ability to control the straight.
Speaker 3: I think this the way they changed the reporting of casualties is all about trying to get around the War Powers Act by saying the old war ended and this is a new war, I think. But it also sounds like they weren't really updating casualties in in a timely manner. And then sort of the standard way like there were reporters kind of watching the website where this is reported out and seeing it kind of bump around last week, go up and down, and they're like, what is happening?
Speaker 1: Even now the numbers aren't all in agreement, like it we don't have it, We don't have like a straightforward answer the total.
Speaker 3: Of the two conflicts, Operation Epic Fury and then whatever they're calling overseas operations and now eighteen dead, six hundred and twenty four wounded, and so they've also they've really not been very transparent about what those the wounded number means. Yeah, they're like, oh, it's mostly minor concussions that they went back to work, but you know, traumatic brain injuries from you know, a ballistic missile exploding near you. That's a big deal. And it also it's part and parcel to the Pentagon covering up the cost of the war and just not being transparent like I, you know, I have friends who are still in the military or people who are overseas will be like, you know, they're shutting down. You can no longer take photos on some of these bases because they're just so destroyed that they're basically rendered unusable. People had to be evacuated from some of these places. Like the cost of Basis just being like, you know, inoperable for many years to come now has not really been like fully calculated.
Speaker 1: Ye have pig Sat going in front of the Senate and saying this war costs thirty five billion dollars, but we need eighty billion right now in emergency. And then you're like, well, why don't you already have eighty billion in cash, and he's like, no, no, no, I've already decided what that's going for. And we have to do this because Biden spent all of our money on Woke, and it's like that may work in a Fox newshap, What the fuck are you talking about?
Speaker 4: How much this woke costs? All right?
Speaker 5: Speaking of bombs. On Friday, the White House Correspondence Association held its rescheduled dinner after a gunman interrupted the event back in April. It was a smaller venue, with a smaller crowd and more security, but Trump basically gave the speech he'd originally planned on giving, and bully, did he crush it.
Speaker 7: The other day, a senator I knew got a text a great guy from his wife, and she said, when you get home. I want to have you immediately come up the stairs and make love to me, and he said I can't do both.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 7: You know in other words, can't go up the stairs? And babe, does anybody get that? I thought that was actually pretty good. That was actually the only thing I thought was good in this whole freaking stupid space sit. They wrote that was the only good one, and that went down with not exactly great laughter.
Speaker 2: I think you know, in other.
Speaker 7: Words, you can't go up the stairs, were of them.
Speaker 2: So we're looking for term limits. Does anybody understand is we.
Speaker 7: Will have sloppy Chris Christi, one of the sloppiest human beings you'll ever made. Fighting. I would say I could mention the governor of Chicago, but I'm gonna mention instead Jerry Nadler. And they're fighting for a big piece of cheesecake, big fat piece of cheesecake. Who the hell wrote that line? Barack Hussein Obama hosted it. Do you know who that is? And he hit me hard And I have watched this clip thousands of times. They keep playing it because they think that was evening I decided to run for president. It was not. He actually showed a picture of the White House with a big Trump on top, like I put us on and you know, I'm sort of doing that when you think about it right now.
Speaker 5: We have all said previously the Trump can be genuinely funny. That was so bad that I almost started feeling sorry for Donald Trump, which has never happened, but like, that was incredibly painful, especially the sex up the stairs joke when he goes and then he's like, ugh, that was one of the better jokes, and then one more time he's like, cause it's like the those third explanation of the joke.
Speaker 3: Did you see that he stole that joke too for Yeah, from Brad Paisley lyric.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a classic borsch Belt joke, and it could have worked. The reason it didn't work is he we've done many of these speeches you're trying to get it's a it's a you're doing stand up ten fifteen minutes. He was up there for an hour, an hour, an hour, and by the time he gets to that light hearted joke about senators being old, he described how much he hates half the people in the room, called Don Lemon Dunn. He said, Adam Schieve has an ugly fat head.
Speaker 2: He hates.
Speaker 1: Colbert compared Kaitlyn Collins to Dylan mulvaney, calls Josh Jossi unhiable, Pulitzer right right award, and then he's like, anyway, anyway, boy, you senators role these days, right. So of course by the time you get to that part, like they've been sitting there for forty five minutes, it's brutal.
Speaker 4: He's never read the speech. This is the other thing.
Speaker 5: It's like, you've got to I know, he thinks that he's a genius and can just go off script whatever. You gotta practice a speech like that. Can you imagine Trump like practicing jokes?
Speaker 2: No, I can't.
Speaker 1: But he had like one good Barry Weiss joke. He had a couple of like well structured.
Speaker 5: Jokes that he even the Berry Wises joke, which was good. He didn't like he didn't deliver it well, like he could have delivered it in a funnier way.
Speaker 1: But also I think it was in the prepared remarks. There's like a like a portion of his stump about Gavin Newsom in California that he seemed to be reading off the teleprompter and it and so like he says horrible things about elon Omar, Like he just goes into his sort of vicious and cruel, mean spirited ripping and so the whole like he doesn't he goes pokes a little bit of fun at himself here and there, but like, of course there's not gonna be people laughing. It's deeply uncomfortable to be an event that's supposed to be lighthearted and you just like go for the jugger like you would at a rally. He's just like, you're not built for this because you're such a fucking asshole, you know.
Speaker 3: The comedy seller. At eleven PM, you're in front of the most oversensitive group of people you can find, and you're being somli. By the way, didn't Jerry Nadler like hit the GLP ones a couple of years ago and he's lost a ton of weight too. Yeah, the riffing made no sense and.
Speaker 4: He did that.
Speaker 5: He when he talked about Pritzker, the governor of Chicago, he mentioned that as well too.
Speaker 4: He's like he's actually looking better, He's looking better.
Speaker 3: He's just the dick is really the problem. But it started kind of magnanimous because like he did this whole bit at the top about how like the last dinner was bad and celebrated the you know, the cops who kept everybody safe, and said how that they had to you know, they wouldn't let the show get canceled because that lets the shooter win. And then we just went into this ti rate and.
Speaker 5: When you looked at the all the cuts to the audience, when you watch the whole thing, it was like just silent. And also I know they said, oh, it's a room full of journalists. They don't like Trump, but like all of his administration, all his people were there.
Speaker 4: No one was laughing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they just like the funniest thing was when he got the laugh there and said I thought that was the best joke of the bunch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole thing was very ugly, right, because he's going after Caitlyn Collins and all these journalists in this really personal and sort of obviously misogynist way. And then you have like the the like reporters on the day ass kind of like trying to like laugh and there the whole thing was ugly. And so then you have like New York Times reporters like Peter Baker being like, we should rethink this dinner, which is they're on their high horse about the fucking dinner because they haven't gone forever and are glad for that decision.
Speaker 3: To their credit, Yeah, to their credit. But he I was like, what did anyone expect from him? Was he going to learn this time? Obviously this is who he is and what he was going to say. And by the way, like he he says once he had two jokes about Kaitlyn Collins. One was suggesting she looked like Dylan mulvaney, which she just said. But then also being like Kaitlyn Collins never smiles. He says that to her all the time at press conferences. Every time she asked him a tough question, he's like, what's your problem, your pretty girl?
Speaker 4: Smile?
Speaker 3: He's said, a sexist old man, and like he doesn't do that as part of a comedy bit. It's part of his like stump deflection and routine for hard questions, like he's.
Speaker 4: Just a shithead.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a shithead. It might be time to retire. Then, now that we've moved it to the the former Trump Hotel now the Waldorf Astoria, smaller so that.
Speaker 1: When we knocked down the arch and we sort of get the gold leaf off the White House and we restore independence the Department of Justice at the bottom of that list. We can decide what we want to do with what happened to the White House.
Speaker 3: Carss problem for sure, remaining rump state of media didn't stick.
Speaker 1: Around for the mentalists have to say, I didn't didn't catch O's didn't you?
Speaker 4: He did it?
Speaker 1: He did give he did do the joke, which was, if you're such a mentalist, how come you didn't know the shooting was coming.
Speaker 3: Out with the joke everyone made the night of the shooting, he'd all his worst show.
Speaker 4: Is this still funny couple months later? No?
Speaker 7: It?
Speaker 4: It went crazy, all right? When we come back, Ben Wickler.
Speaker 1: Pot tam Ma is brought to you by Chime. Summer adds up fast, a trip here, at dinner there, a couple concerts, a visit to an amusement park. It might be wondering if you're getting the most out of your money. That's where Chime comes in. Chime is changing the way people bank. They're not like traditional banks. They have to gate keep the best rewards and pylon hidden fees unless you have a massive balance. Chime offers the most rewarding fee free banking, all with no overdraft fees, no monthly fees, no minimum balance fees. You get five percent cash back on Chime Card in a category of your choice like gas or groceries, all while building credit through regular everyday spending. No credit check required. You can also grow your money faster where the savings rate that's nine times the national average. And if you're ever in a pinch, spot me lets you over drop up to two hundred dollars fee free. Join the millions who are already banking fee free with America's number one choice for banking. Head to Chime dot com slash crooked. That is Chime dot com slash crooked. Sign up now. It only takes a few minutes. Chime is a fintech, not a bank. Banking services and Chime Card provided by Chimes bank partners qualifying direct deposits required terms and limits apply. Go to Chime dot com slash disclosures for details.
Speaker 4: Ben with her welcome back to the show.
Speaker 2: It's great to be with you, Congress in the new studio.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It's pretty nice, pretty sweet, pretty fancy. All right.
Speaker 5: So I want to get to the book, but first I have to take advantage of the entirely coincidental but highly opportune timing of you being here and ask about the messy gubernatorial primary in your beloved state and the messy leadership situation at the d n C which you ran to.
Speaker 4: Be chair of. I know you well.
Speaker 5: You are far too wise and generous to shoot on Ken Martin. I've got that covered, but I really want your your honest thoughts on the DNC's financial situation. Ken's argument is that a party is not a savings account, that he chose to spend early on organizers and technology and state party infrastructure. And that's also like more or less your argument, the argument you make in the book. But of course the party is now two million dollars in debt while the RNC is sitting on one hundred and twenty eight point five million dollars in cash. So do you buy his defense that that's just the cost of investing early.
Speaker 2: So I agree that you should invest early. And the goal what you want is to be able to do both. You want to be able to both have the money to invest in places that it'll take years to be able to build the power to win statewide. But their state legislative raises everywhere where we can win, and you also want to have the ability to invest in the places where elections are closest and highest stakes, and then your tip those over the top. And I think the challenge right now is there's not quite enough money to do either. The other thing that's new in this moment is the US Supreme Court ruling that allows parties to invest in unlimited support for federal candidates. Wisconsin had a version of that that was started under Scott Walker. We call it the Scott Walker loophole, and it is the way that we beat Elon Musk and you know who outspent us dramatically, is that the Democratic Party Wisconsin was able to raise money and then transfer it to our candidate, who got a lower rate for TV ads than the superback ads that Elon Musk was funding in our state. We also had a better message, better candidate, and didn't have Elon Musk hanging around our neck. But the and huge grassroots organizing talk about that in the book, But right now that means that national committees could do a ton more if they have the money to be able to do it to support candidates in the places, especially for candidates who don't have huge fund raising abilities on their own, but who have totally winnable seats and who, if they have the funds to get their message out, can win in places that are maybe off the national radar. So this is a time when having more funds at the DNC, having more funds at the other national committees makes an enormous difference. And what I want is for canon for the DNC to be as successful as possible. I think there's a huge opportunity in this election, including in a lot of places right now where Republicans aren't investing and don't realize how mad voters are. So if I wave a magic wand there's a a flood of money that comes in and we're able to invest in you know, winning sometimes in squeakers, in a whole bunch of places that expand the map and safeguard the future of American democracy.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, so that's what you just said.
Speaker 5: I mean, you raised and spent sixty three million dollars in twenty twenty four for the Wisconsin Democratic Party. That sounds right, which is a little more than the entire Democratic National Committee has raised so far in twenty twenty six. Is the honest answer here that spending early only works if you can also raise. Then the raising is the failure here.
Speaker 2: I mean there's I think there's a lot of puzzle pieces here. I think that right now there's a kind of like vicious circle where there's negative news cycles that then make it hard to go out and say this is a good time to invest. And I think that starts changing when people see, oh yeah, if I donate here, it's going to have a big impact on making making things better and winning elections. And I think that's you know, maybe that that change starts right here on the pot John maybe, but whatever, whatever it is, like we can't as long as we're in circular firing squad mode and not you know, pointing to where we need to like throw our shoulders against the wheel to save the country. It's very hard to get out of that cycle. And also, like the election is ninety nine days away, there's a huge opportunity to like flood the zone in the places where elections are likely to be tightest and where a push can make the difference. And I will add that that is not just House and Senate races, like at all levels, there's going to be state legislative contests that have enormous significance. One thing in a I think the New York Times story was about the DNC helping Mississippi break the Republican supermajority at the state level that I love like that was one hundred thousand dollars investment played a role. I'm sure there are a ton of other people involved as well, but breaking Republican supermajorities in deep red states can have an enormous impact on the future of things like redistricting. So you know, part of the argument of my book and my kind of life's work at this moment and the Democratic Party is look at the whole map of how power is built and wielded in this country. The Right keeps you using its power to rig everything so that only a handful of people can write the rules for all of us. But if you can unrig the system, often at the state and local level, those races are often much less expensive and have huge up ballot consequences. And I think it is good to think as a party about how to fight at all those levels at once in.
Speaker 5: The interest of fixing things. What would you do about the money situation if you were in Ken's position right now.
Speaker 2: I would which I'm sure Ken is also working on. I try to raise more money so that you have more money to invest in the various things, and that to me, the biggest thing is being able to lay out if you invest here is how we're going to be able to win more fights that folks care about. There's often when people think about the corrupting influence of money and politics, which you may have to look at the news to see the corrupt influence of money and politics, but very often it's about policies that particular candidates or elected officials hold. Parties are not where people who want to change policy. It's not where they give, especially when there's not a democratic president. What parties do is they help create infrastructure for victories or losses. And so the way to raise money for the Democratic Party is fundamentally to instill trust to demonstrate the results that come from those investments. And for all the kind of debate about the fifty state strategy, I think one of the things that is really helpful is when you see what's being done in particular states with those investments that actually generates electoral victory, and then it makes you enthusiastic about investing. And I think there's a lot of stories like that that I would love to I'd love to see more of and hear more about. I think about, you know, some of the state parties that are doing amazing work, like North Carolina. There's this huge focus on local organizing that's going to affect things like the state Supreme Court race. And the country is not thinking about the North Carolina State Supreme Court. But the only reason Republicans have a majority in the US House right now is because Republicans won a state Supreme Court race there in twenty twenty by four hundred and one votes, one hundredth of one percent of all the votes cast in the state. And that put in place a chief Justice who drove the jerrymandering that gave the National Republicans their House majority at this moment, And there's a Supreme Court race there this November. Anita Earls is up for reelection. If she wins, they could win a majority. Democrats could win a majority by twenty twenty eight, and that could lead to the djerymandering of that state and affect the future of American democracy. And those are the kinds of things that state parties specialize in and supporting state parties to do that kind of work has a huge effect. I know, I'm personal to my own state of Wisconsin, which we can all agree is the best state, but it's also a place where our state party has been deeply involved in state legislative races, minoral races, state Supreme court election. This fall, we have a chance to win both chambers of the state legislature and across the country. Most people, I regret to admit, are not thinking about the Wisconsin state legislative battle of twenty twenty six, but that fight could dictator proof Wisconsin. Before twenty twenty eight, we were the closest state in the country to having the election overturned. After twenty twenty, we know Trump is going to try to pull something next time he is in danger of losing power. You you lock down democracy at the state level, or rather un rigged democracy at the state level. That is the best way to defend national elections going forward. And those are the kinds of races that you know have supporting state parties right now, and the DNC is doing a lot of Supporting state parties can have a huge effect on so I look at the you know, it is very painful to read the stories that are unfolding. Everyone experiences that. I'm sure everyone within the DNC is, you know, not not thrilled about the stories unfolding. But there are giant opportunities that are right there where a small investment can make a huge outside impact. Because Donald Trump's IO sar On is not on those races, but we can put our eye on the ball and we can win and we can fight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think what I'm most worried about is like the DNC doesn't play the biggest role in the midterms regardless, right the other party of the committees do, and the state parties do certainly play a big role in the twenty twenty eight race, and especially with that Supreme Court decision. Now we'll play a big role because people can donate now much more to the DNC and that can help with the campaign directly.
Speaker 4: And the stories are awful to read. No one wants that.
Speaker 5: We all want the Democratic Party to be successful, in the DNC to be successful. I think what strikes me is that because they're coming from inside the DNC and the DNC members, it makes me think that those are people who also don't want bad press, but are at this point like I'm talking. I'd rather talk and have the bad stories and try to fix the situation than continue to see this unfold. And I just saw today Rufus Gifford, I'm sure you know. Rufus, who finance director of the DNC, He's been finance director, worked there for eight years, loves the place, you know, has said today that the DNC is quote spiraling towards irrelevance and said that Ken is a good man with good intentions, but simply not meeting this critical moment.
Speaker 4: Do you agree.
Speaker 2: I am the guy who lost the election for DNC chair, and I'm the last person you want to be armchair quarterback. I can beat me by out organizing me in the DNC race, and you know, building trust with voters over U with the same kind of strategy that he and I both think is really critical to winning elections at every level. So I, you know, I don't want to be in the middle of this. Not running for the ancientia myself. Like I, my goal is to spread a message to a much wider number of people about what everyone can do. I have a chapter in my book about the Democratic Party with the title it's my party, and I'll cry if I want to something many you know, people feel at various moments at all levels. And the argument that I make is that the Democratic Party, however you feel about it, it actually has a door that is wide open, shockingly open. It is easier to join the Democratic Party in whatever state people live in than to join the Benevolent Order of the Elks or like an even the old nineteenth twentieth century social civic organizations. There's not some set of boxes that you have to check. You can get involved and then you can you can revitalize the party where you are. You can turn it into a vessel for organizing and fighting. And I talk to people who are like running for county party chair all across the count who are mad about the way things are going right now, and then they realize, Hey, if I get a bunch of people together and we get involved, we can just like take over around here. And then we can start working to flip the city councils, and we can win judicial races, we can flip the state legislative seats. There are so many blue states where there are people in offices that are not using them to have the biggest impact that they could. And there's so many places in red states where there's very little Democratic Party organization, but if you build enough power, you can push through and you can make huge change. And then in purple states, it is shocking how few votes wind up tipping the entire thing. So if anyone who's frustrated about the Democratic Party right now, become the Democratic Party and build the kind of party that you want to be part of, like it is, it is right there, and it is a it's a vessel for organizing that unlike everything else, it exists everywhere, in every county, in every community. And if we can make it stronger, and we can make it a body that fights for things that benefit everyone, then I think it has a huge change on the whole future of the country.
Speaker 5: Your book is excellent. Is tailor made for our audience, so I hope everyone buys it. It's called this is the Plan. Give us the cliff note version of what the plan is.
Speaker 2: Sure, So the plan starts with you, not just you, John, but you the reader, viewer, listener, and the thing that each of us can do. I have a chapter called Unleash you'rre superpower, which is about both the kind of art and science and practice of organizing, of getting people together to do something they wouldn't otherwise do. So I dig into how to have the biggest effect with your volunteer hours if you can chip in money, the kinds of stuff that makes the biggest difference. And then I map out, drawing on the story of how we unrigged our state legislative maps in Wisconsin, which is this huge multi year fight that took a bunch of different offices. I trace out what we can do nationwide to unrig our system, which right now pretty clearly is a system where a handful of far right billionaires write the rules for everyone else to enrich themselves at all of our expense. So how do we do that? Step one in twenty twenty six fight for Houston Senate majorities. But the states are the most critical battlefield because, especially if we win trifact democratic trifectas in the battleground states a you can you can pass laws in those states that prevent Trump from being able to steal the twenty twenty eight election. Elections are run by the states, So this is you know, if you have people who refuse to play along with coup attempts. It makes all the difference in the world. You can also defame the electoral college. There's this law called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact, which is a long, nerdy name for an amazing bill that has been passed already in eighteen states.
Speaker 4: That's what I call it.
Speaker 2: I came up with a way to pronounce the the unpronounceable acronym.
Speaker 5: That's great because every time I say it, I didn't even I've never said the acronym, and I'm always like, it's the National Compact something voter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nivid rhymes with lipstick nipfick.
Speaker 2: We gotta spread nipfick across the country if we if no other thing happens, if we all be able to find a way to stay niphick, then I will not be satisfied with the impact of the book, but I'll be happy. So uh, that is a bill that if we pass it through the states where Democrats can win trifectas in twenty twenty six, you can make it so that whoever wins the National Popular Vote wins the presidential election. Because states decide where they put their electoral college votes. It is very, very close to actually.
Speaker 5: Happening, and basically, so it's like a backdoor way of eliminating the electoral college, because the Constitution gives states the power, the ultimate power to decide how they assign their electors. So the state legislators can decide, we're going to assign our electors to the winner of the national popular vote, and then that way you can kind of go around the electoral college.
Speaker 2: That's exactly it. So I was actually talking to Heather Cox richardsoner historian about this, and she was pointing out to me that originally overwhelmingly states gave their electoral college votes on a proportional basis, the way that like Nebraska and mayn still do. And then a few states realized, starting with Thomas Jefferson in Virginia, that if he made his state go for whoever won the majority winner take all, that would give him advantage. So then every state kind of went to that system. The only way to get back to a proportional system is if all is if enough states decide to jump together. So this is what's special about this law is that it only takes effect when enough states have passed the law to choose the next president, which means that you know, it's not like you're gonna throw away your vote or dilute your power until the moment when everyone holds hands jumps together, and then all two seventy plus electoral College votes of states that have passed this law go to whoever wins the national popular vote, and then it transforms this country, like we end the era of swing states and safe states. Every person's ballot counts the same. The fight for voting rights laws in every state suddenly affect the whole national picture. It's you know it would it would be complicated and messy, but also glorious and I want it so bad.
Speaker 4: I love it. I've thought about it.
Speaker 5: For a while now, and I've been like keeping track of how close we're getting to, like the so close. Yeah, we're pretty close. Now, are you where with the legal challenges or that, like whether it survives legal challenges, because there's there's a few arguments, legal arguments about like why it might be tricky to pull off, And one of the more practical ones is that like it wouldn't get challenged until like in the midst of an election, So.
Speaker 2: It has provisions in it about like how to be able to withdraw from it and so forth. You know, it's been like scrutinizing a whole bunch of different ways. And I think it's it looks legally signed. To me, I'm I'm not a lawyer myself. I will say, even if it is completely legally legit, I say that this Supreme Court might find some basis so much to strike it down. So that goes to another thing I argue for in the book. So, you know, step, when we win the states, we start moving in nipfick through the state, through more state legislatures. We need forty eight more electoral college votes to be able to put it into effects. So when trifecta is in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Nevada, Arizona, New Hampshire, boom, more than enough electoral College votes. Great, let's add Alaska while we're at it. Yeah, But then twenty twenty eight comes along and we existentially have to win presidency, House and US Senate, and I think ideally we win a majority of the House delegations in a majority of states, so that if Trump once again tries to mess with the electoral college, if it's still in place in the way that it is right now, and the election goes to a vote in the House of House Delegations that the election is not overturned through another coup attempts.
Speaker 4: Which how close the way to a majority of House delegations.
Speaker 2: Far We are far right now. Right now, Republicans have thirty House delegation majorities, and we have two election cycles to be able to change that. And so that is totally doable, and you can far.
Speaker 4: It's not crazy far, it's not crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there are enough states where we could absolutely be able to win. It means organizing in places like Alaska where Trump won by fourteen percentage points but is now hideously unpopular and Mary Peltola would win the Senate race. We can win the House race, We could win the governorship there, We could have multi party coalitions in the legislature like Iowa, we could win a majority of the House seats as well as the governorship, the attorney general's race, the US Senate race like there are ways that we can flip House delegation majorities that also, by the way, make life better for people in those states and win US Senate majorities. So big map, big field, lots to do. And my argument to people is work where you are to improve policies, you know, build organized locally, and then choose some places, maybe one place where elections are really close. It could be adopting a house district. It could be deciding to adopt a state legislative chamber and pour yourself, get a group of friends together, pour yourself into making a difference in that place too. This is a vote save of America's Adopt a State project. There you go pioneering in this regard. If you do that for a couple hours a month, then you know, add up enough months and you can have a gigantic impact, especially if you you know, find a way to make it fun with your friends, maybe involving alcohol or you know, some kind of beverage. Like there's lots of there's lots of ways to do this. They can feel really good when you win. This is one of the reasons I think we have so many volunteers in Wisconsin is we've found way we lean into so many different fights. People have the experience of being part of winning something, often something very close, over and over and it feels incredible to like stay up late, watch the returns come in and realize that you help make the difference in a nail bier election that changes everything.
Speaker 5: So best feeling in the world. Best feeling if you're a political nerd. Yeah, I mean, if you're not, it'll it'll be pretty good.
Speaker 2: It'll turn you into politically it's landslides are great.
Speaker 4: Love those two.
Speaker 2: But the like, if we're winning landslides, then our map's not big enough, you know what I mean, Like, there's so many places where one more push can get us over the edge, and let's do those places too. So twenty eight we win the federal trifecta. We get through whatever coup attempt it is that Donald Trump tries to pull, and we thank goodness that we elected pro democracy mayors and governors and attorneys general who fought back against whatever Trump's genangans turned out to be. We have a new president. They do an inaugural address to great speech. They have an even bigger crowd than Trump's twenty sixteen inaugural. We're thrilled. And then and this is a big and then we have to actually abolish the filibuster and pass fundamental democracy reform to unrig the American system of government. And that that is I go sort of level by level of the American political system in the book and who's working on it, where we need to win to be able to change it. But my argument that all kind of rolls up to the plan in this of the plan is that we have to add states to unbalance the US Senate. We have to reform the US Supreme Court. I think term limits is the most interesting option. If the US Supreme Court decides that Congress doesn't have the power to do that, then it certainly has the power to expand the number of justices. So there's another option there too. We have to have some combination of a national jerrymandering ban and doubling the size of the House. I'm really interested in proportional representation for US House members with multi member districts. These are ideas that a lot of people don't know about right now or read about them in the book. There's like lots of countries that do this. I mean in American history, these things have happened before. But this system right now, where we've got the Voting Rights Act, where we can have the country completely rigged after each census and even in between the census, so most House districts voters have no real say where Republicans have a structural advantage in the US Senate, plus a filibuster that only blocks things that Democrats might want to do. Essentially, it allows tax cuts for rich people in confirmation to Supreme Court justice. And then this imperial presidency chosen through the electoral college that Congress can't act to do anything about because of the filibuster, and the courts won't do anything because they have a hammer lock on the US Supreme Court. It just doesn't work. It doesn't work to have a country that has a huge diversity of views in which our structures are built to ratchet things just to the right. And so what we've experienced this century is, more than any other time in American history, a series of change elections where people are fed up and they vote for change, and when Republicans come, they're like, not that, like that. The Repolicans screw everything up. And when Democrats come in, a whole bunch of the stuff that they campaign on they can't do because the system is set up to block it. The US Supreme Court strikes it down, the Senate filibuster blocks it. And so a lot of people feel, and I think rightly, that the economic system is not working for them that like basic things like being able to get healthcare or childcare. They vote for people who say that they're going to deliver it, and then it doesn't come through. And if you ask yourself why that is, it is generally not that Democrats have a failure of nerve to vote for the thing they want. The House passes these things over and over again. It's because we have a system that is rigged against delivering for regular people. And so this is the plan maps out the plan to change that in a way that we've changed how the government functions over and over throughout history, and then about a half century ago, we stopped. We stopped the mend in the Constitution, we stopped adding states, we stopped changing how senator are elected, we stopped changing the sides of the House, we stopped changing the size of the Supreme Court. All those things used to change regularly, and we've been stuck in this kind of failure mode where the change that people are vote for, organized for, cry out for, never comes. And I think it is time to change the delivery vehicle for change itself and restore the vision of the best traditions of our country and the best moments in the founding of this country, which is a system of government that actually adapts to be able to respond to the crises and needs of the time, where the right of the people, as you know, as it says in the Declaration of Independence, to make their government actually work is made real.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if people realize or remember, because now it was all of five years ago, how close we were in twenty one to getting rid of the filibuster to pass the John Lewis Foting Rights Act. It was just Mansion in Cinema were the only Democrats not willing to remove the filibuster. They're both gone. Cinema was replaced with Diego, who's certain totally in favor of that. So we basically need a fifty one vote majority, and hopefully if we elect some of these new senators and some of these tough states, they'll be there as well. You bring up the twenty thirty then becomes a pretty important year. Not to get too far ahead of ourselves, but it's part of the plan, because we do all these things in twenty eight. One part of your plan is to for Democrats to survive the twenty thirty backlash. We know there's always a backlash after there's a trifecta. There was in twenty ten, you know there could be in twenty thirty.
Speaker 4: If this all comes to pass.
Speaker 5: And I wonder what you think of because you're right, there've been and you have this stat in the book that there have been more sort of change elections like party switching power in the last however many years than there have been like all throughout history.
Speaker 4: Was like the last couple decades.
Speaker 2: In two thousand, we've had more change in the White House, the US House, and the US Senate.
Speaker 5: Than any other time any other time of history. And I wonder, like, is there sometimes I wonder this too? Is there evidence that delivering actual change, tangible change that improves people's lives makes them satisfied enough to not vote for change? Again, considering that, you know, Biden passed quite a bit in his first couple of years. He passed similar checks aside from those the climate investments, everything that was in the Build Back Better Bill that was more long term investments. Do you think that in addition to those democracy reforms in twenty eight Democrats need to pass legislation that like improves people's lives absolutely within those first two years.
Speaker 2: That's the whole thing. So I want to respond kind of at three level. Sure, all right, at the micro level, something that I think people forget and very little discussion of is that when Biden came in, the emergency measures to deal with the COVID pandemic, the expanded unemployment insurance, the childcare tax credit, there was a set of things that dramatically increased the kind of disposable income for especially like the bottom third economically of the country. And it was incredibly popular at that time, and then it all went away. And so even though it is true that like wages grew from the bottom up in the Biden economy, for a ton of Americans, especially the people who were having the toughest luck in the economy, they got a bunch of help, and then suddenly the carpet was yanked out from under them, and at the same time as prices were rising. So their experience was that their wages, their income went down at the same time as prices were going up. And those are the exact voters who went for Trump for the first time in either of our lives. People earning less than fifty thousand dollars a year voted Republican in the twenty twenty four president election. So I actually think we sort of have a counter example, like we have an example for ourselves of if people are experiencing material pain, then they will vote for change.
Speaker 4: And that party that part.
Speaker 2: We know, we kind of saw that, right and and around the world in every country, the governing party wound up losing ground in developed democracies in twenty twenty four, as I right, and prices, inflation and cost of living was the biggest issue everywhere, but we actually were doing doing something serious about it, and then we stopped. And that was there were some policy design choices in there that I, you know, I think we should rethink how we think about that stuff in the future. That's kind of micro level. The second level is the I was once talking to an administration official who said, when you propose a policy, it's popular. When it's being passed, it's unpopular. When it's being implemented, it's unpopular, But when the other side drives to take it away, it becomes popular again. And perfect example, right, and you know, the battle like a bunch of different policies that have been good for people have this quality. And to me, the goal of politics, you win in order to be able to pass policies that make people's lives better. So it is, you know, it might not be that there's an iMedia policy reward, and especially policies that take a while to actually like implement and get them going. It might be that you were kind of creating something that the other side can't take away that creates an enduring benefit for people. And I think that the ACA is proven to be an enormous help for Democrats. Twenty eighteen, Republicans try to take it away and it was the number one issue, and once again Republicans cutting medicids spending that was expanded through the ACA. It is an explosive issue that helps Democrats right now. So I do think that there's even if it takes a couple of cycles, I do think there's like a pretty clear path that you can draw towards. If you do stuff to help people, then the party that tries to scrap it takes a price. And if we are the party that keeps doing the good things, then the Rebublicans trying to scrap it have a price. But the last thing, there's this the very macro level, this concept in political sides of political orders, which is essentially what's not controversial in a period of time is the thing that tells you the most about that period. So after the New Deal, there was Eisenhower came in and he did not try to rip up the New Deal. The political order for decades was that the New Deal programs and the sort of set of economic guarantees, those were beyond politics and through Reagan exactly, and then came the neoliberal order, and Reagan and Reagan you know, did union busting and deregulation and a bunch of stuff that is you know, still raging through American politics, and a lot of that stuff wasn't contested. Both parties were kind of fighting on that terrain. The really big goal is to build a new political order. And I think what we want is a political order for the future where which party, you know, wins might change hands, but that certain things are actually built in to me. Things that start with ensuring that nobody is like going broke because they get sick, or nobody is unable to afford a place to live. There's an economic guarantees. And then the second, well there's three things I want. One is like make the economy actually work for working people. And I think union rights and you know, and the way our social insurance programs work are two critical elements of that. There's a bunch of others. The second thing is some rights and freedoms that like need to be guaranteed and protected by the federal government that are absolutely under assault right now in a way that is has been you know, shocking. They're trying to repeal the civil rights movement and you know, and so much else. And it's like any group that has achieved freedom and equality in this country is being targeted by this administration. And a lot of this stuff was nonpartisan, low stake stuff that both parties agreed in at different moments that there were you know, bipartisan majorities. Well, the public is still a bipartisan majority for reproductive freedom. They there was a period, do you remember when Republicans attack trans people in North Carolina? And it was like a giant uproar. This idea that attacking trans people is is this great popular weg issue for Republicans doesn't need to be that way. The public is not always naturally inflamed about, you know, whether gender identity should be a political battlefield. I'd like to get to a world where everyone's humanity is something that we can like a starting point. And the third one is democracy itself, which is for most of you know, there are periods when the fight over this basic question of whether we'll have majority rule in this country isn't really up for grabs every election. And one reason why we keep telling ourselves that the next election is the most important election of our lifetimes is because we keep having this this question of whether it will be the last free election in America ever has I'd like to get a little bit away from the precipice and that leaves tons of stuff that we can contest. And I think a natural access that makes sense is the kind of like what is you know, this kind of size of government, role of government in public life. There there's lots of different issues that divide most Republicans from most Democrats that we can argue over, and I think having competitive pressure pushes both parties to try to figure out how to govern more effectively. I think, like excellence in public service and government is produced more when there are electoral stakes, and you might lose power if you don't do a good job. All those things are good, but building a political order where these kind of like you don't feel as though the ground might crack open beneath you and swallow.
Speaker 4: Not every election is like a manichein struggle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would like I'd like to turn down the stakes a little bit, and you know that we can, you can. I don't know if would be helpful for the political podcasting business if fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll take that. I'll take We'll take this right, I'll take the right. Take it speen of high stakes.
Speaker 5: I know that you're staying neutral in the primary in Wisconsin, in the governor's race until the bitter end. I know you're not neutral in wanting a democratic governor in that state who will be responsible for, among other things, certifying the presidential result in twenty twenty eight. Is that a reason for primary voters in Wisconsin to think about electability differently this year than they normally would.
Speaker 2: I think that Wisconsin voters think about electability a lot. We have over and over experienced. Yeah, what happens when we lose, It's not bigod We've had the Wisconsin I argue in the book, Wisconsin is like a mini version of what the country is going through right now. Because we had our authoritarian breakthrough came when Scott Walker won in twenty ten and then tried to rig our political system and defund schools and public services and smash unions, all this stuff the same way Donald Trump has done on a national level. Now, so we have experienced our own state level, you know, authoritarian moment the same way. Lots of states in the South have continued to experience it. And I think there's a big debate about, you know, what is electable right now, who's going to vote? How do you energize people? And then this trade off of like what do you get when you win? What is the issue that the animate you all? That is like legitimate grounds for having a debate and for people making those different arguments. Wisconsin has this great tradition I write about in the book is the birthplace of the progressive movement Capital p progressive movement, and one of the reforms of the progressive movement that started in Wisconsin' swept the nation is direct primaries to choose your nominee, where the people decide who the nominee will be, and the party when the Democratic Party Wisconsin, which I used to chair, I'm an advisor to the new chair. Different Memorkers, I think doing a killer job, very hard job. One of the party's core commitments in our constitution is that the party itself doesn't put its thumb on the scale, even if elected officials and public you know, citizens and groups and unions and everybody does their different endorsements. The party is neutral in the primary so that voters can decide who they want their nominee to be, and then the party can play a role of saying that everybody, hey, like, even though that was tough and you know, messi and complicated, we're going to like put that behind us. We're going to unite, and we're going to do everything we can to chew through concrete and win the general election. And that that is my own role in this fight, and that's what I invite everyone to do.
Speaker 5: There's no confident that no matter who wins the primary that I mean, you know all these candidates personally, do you think that all of them like could could definitely beat Tom Tiffany.
Speaker 2: I think that there's a path with each of these candidates, and I think that what that path looks like is actually a little different with the different candidates, and they are building the coalitions around them based on their approach to campaigning and their arguments they're making and the positions that they have and their own stories. And the thing that would cause us to lose is if we lose the nerve to say that we can win. If Democrats decide the day after the primary that, oh, well, I guess we're not going to win, then they will not win. But if they say, you know what, this is a state we're over and over thirteen times since two thousand, we've had elections that come down to one percentage point or less, and it like donating that extra buck, like knocking on that extra door, calling that extra friend, could be the thing that tips the entire state. If we bring that kind of will to the race, I think that any of the candidates can beat Tom Tiffany and Wisconsin could be a a thriving democracy for the future.
Speaker 5: Last question, what is your thought process like as you consider potentially running in the state that you love in Wisconsin?
Speaker 2: Well, I love the living shit out of my state. I just think Wisconsin is the greatest state, and I will think about, you know, what I do in the future. In the future, I think my just obsession right now is to make sure that Wisconsin not only wins the governorship, but as I've mentioned, the state legislative chambers in November, and those will come probably down to a couple hundred votes in a few different communities around the state. Like it is, it has been the work of years to unrig our state legislative maps to get to this point where we have a shot at winning majorities in both legislative chambers. And next year could be a blooming of democracy and workers rights and of ability of folks to get healthcare, all this stuff if we can win the trifecta in Wisconsin in the next ninety nine days. So I'm I have this book. I want to spread the gospel of like rolling up puce sleeves getting involved. I want to make sure that people see the kind of hope that we've experienced in my state by building this kind of permanent campaign on a year round basis. I want more places to do that. And then I'm going to just throw myself into with everything I've got into the fight in my state, and then I'll figure out what's next.
Speaker 5: Well, I've to this on the pod when you're not here. That is a is a democrat and a citizen. I wanted you to be d n C chair because I think it would have been good for the party and good for the country. As your friend, sort of glad you're not because it's such a terrible job no matter who has it. But when it comes to running for offs in Wisconsin as a citizen, a Democrat and your friend, I would love you. I would love to see you to run one of these days.
Speaker 4: So I think about it, honored by the sentiment we need more Ben Wickler in America.
Speaker 2: So let's let's zero in on what all of us can do. Yes, right now, that is That is my message, that this is the plan.
Speaker 4: He's on message. That's why I love Ben Wickler. Thanks so much, Thanks so much, John.
Speaker 5: That's our show for today. Thanks to Ben Wicker for coming on. Dan and I will be back with a new episode on Friday. Positive America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari with re Cherlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Heffcote, Jordan Cantor, Charlotte Landis Krol, pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East