Speaker 1: All right, fellas, like we practiced two, three, four, come on, come on down with the brothers, Come on down to the Brother's coming Place to.
Speaker 2: We're two guys.
Speaker 1: Fucking oh yeah, we're two guys. Fucking yeah. They were doing Power Squad. I used to doing Butterfly Girl. You're taking my pants off, so already welcome everyone back to the Brother's Commonplace. A comedy and crime podcast will recover monsters, murders, mister Raisin, and before we get into today's episode, I want y'all to meet my biggest, baddest boy.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go on, guys. This is tam Or Hey, Kamala Anthony. After that l I heard they change your name until Lante West.
Speaker 1: It took a big oh yeah, yes he did. So I'm gonna apologize. I don't know if it's just allergies or cold, but I'm I can't stop sniffling and stuff, so I'm gonna try my best to not do it any the mic. But it is your boy, keV aka the Diamond Handed Dirty Dog. It's not even worth doing a build up. But the punchline is just Dirk no wing stop. It's not even worse. Not you like it's not even worth making a build up. It was either that or I had famous anus cookies.
Speaker 3: Use that I could remember if we had one that I'm still saving just in case I haven't used by sworn I had. It was a funk. I'm just gonna say it. But it's like I'm the Hogwarts headmaster. But at the Staff football game, I kept dropping the ball so they called me Professor Fumblemore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fucking good. It's alrighty. Today we're talking about a real lover boy, real hot guy this week. Mark Winger his name, so hell yeah, before we jump into that though, Uh, we released a Patreon episode for free on public or publicly last week got zero new son, so we're not doing it again. You just we'll probably do it again, like maybe once every couple of months or something. Yeah, but alright, so we got a Patreon trying to support us two or five dollars a month or for free. Just let me know and I'll try to hook you up and you get bonus episodes every week and you can listen live as we record it and send TTS messages in the discords. A lot of fun, all that cool. Yeah, we pretty much talked about Jacquem pretty much every week. There. I got a couple of Jaquem things to kick off the Patreon.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so you guys got to sign up for that man.
Speaker 1: So, and this is our disclaimer. So even though we cover many serious cases and true events, we like to make jokes and make each other laugh stuff like that. So if you don't like mixing comedy and crime, then this is not the podcast for you. Hey, can we stop releasing Michael Jackson documentaries? Dude?
Speaker 2: Is there another one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's another one, Dude. I'm so sick of people saying he molested kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a completely normal guy.
Speaker 1: Strong word.
Speaker 2: I don't think he mosted kids.
Speaker 1: Not normal, He's fine.
Speaker 3: I love that obsession beat that in the fucking Star Wars movie, Like it's so funny.
Speaker 1: Get that much money they spent on those Oh yeah, Michael movie.
Speaker 2: I heard that movie sucked?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like I like that. People were like, come on, man, where's the part about the molesting kiduck? Yeah? Do you really watch a movie about that?
Speaker 2: I think you got to wait for the DVD to come out.
Speaker 1: To the bonus feature, the complete Bonus features, you can actually watch a molestic kid to sleep.
Speaker 2: It's like the actual videos.
Speaker 1: He's like, bend over McCall, Yeah, you're not whole below to night. Yeah, dude, fucking he got Michael Jackson come swinging down from the ceiling like a cannop ego as.
Speaker 2: The baby gun through the dog door. He does have this dick.
Speaker 1: Okay, alright, let's jump into this. Our sources for this week. We got the Wikipedia murder Pedia and then three different articles from medium dot com. I think if there's anything else we mentioned specifically what it's from.
Speaker 3: Did you type in wings this guy noo wings Now, I got I see those might as well research for the gates while ordering Wingstop.
Speaker 1: That's ship's so funny. There's this lady at wingstop. Because I did my everyone, I was like, hey, what do you us want for dinner? I snapped yougether? I think it was Friday, you alreadykneww Saturday. They're like, oh, we want Chipotle. Yeah, it's you on the camera out it's all I got wigs.
Speaker 2: It's so good.
Speaker 1: But I went in there and like the girl at the counter, she talks so quietly that I don't know what the fuck she's even saying. What's your older she's like a young girl of glasses. I've never seen her.
Speaker 2: They must have killed the fucking raised lady.
Speaker 1: And I go in there and I was like, hey, I had a mobile order for for Kevin Green. No idea what she said. I was like, all right, I'll just sit over here. I don't know what the fuck she said.
Speaker 3: If she's like, there's a fucking robber in the back, please God, yeah, please, you could save me right now.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll just sit down the way the wait in the car. So alright, let's first introduce our main guy here, Mark Allen Winger is his name? Is it storming out there?
Speaker 2: It was just raining?
Speaker 1: Hopefully don't lose power. We'll see Born November twenty sixth, nineteen sixty two in Aleiria, Ohio.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck, which is.
Speaker 1: A pretty much where I lived in the late eighties early nineties. Daddy O rest in peace. He worked at a chemical planet of HERI that's my dad, not Mark Allen Wingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, YEAHU his dad.
Speaker 1: So I got some cool stuff from my dad because my mom's been going through some ship going through some of his stuff, I mean, and uh, one of them is that Rambo knife. I don't know if I showed you. But yeah, it's got like the compass on itself. Dude, I killed the fucking fucking wasp with yellow daud and then there's a spider down here. I killed it, and you're like, I killed a fucking what's a hitchhiker? Hiker? Yeah, throat, and I can now tell you which ways east while doing it. Yeah, but yeah, dude, it is fucking sweet. I was like, mabe, I killed this fucking spider. My dad's rambo knife, like yelled up to the kitchen.
Speaker 3: You do the same thing your brother did with his ceiling with that sword mashed potato.
Speaker 2: That's so good.
Speaker 1: My brother's so fucking dumb, Like he lived in an apartment and I don't know what those ceilings are called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. It's like the bumpy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the bumpy, like not styrofolm obviously can scratch it. Well, He's wore a sword in his apartment and like, get this deep gash, and he like covered it up by putting mashed potato. Got it. I was like, dude, that's clearly it might fit there right now, it's gonna fall mold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he just put it there ug. Yeah, yeah, dude, he probably heard that in the dude, if you have a fucking scratch his ceiling that potato. So alrighty. This is from the wiki. Winger was born November twenty sixth, nineteen sixty two, in Oleiria, Ohio, a residential suburb of Cleveland, to Sally Fishman Fuck yeah yeah and Gerald Winger. Hell, when we were playing D and d Ones, I think this might be on one of the same crip podcasts. I don't remember, but in rhyme The Frost Maiden, you meet this halfling. His last name is is a fish Finger.
Speaker 2: Fuck yeah.
Speaker 1: We never made it past that because it was just so many jokes about her finger and pussies here. So good. Yeah yeah, all right. So he was raised Jewish alongside an older brother and sister in Oliria and went on to attend Oleyria High School, graduating in nineteen eighty one. Ash, wow, man, dude, that the dude at Circle K who gets hit with the twisted tea. I think that was in Alarria.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he enrolled. In my head, these guys went to school together.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: He enrolled in the Virginia Military Institute receiving a bachelor's degree in physics in nineteen eighty five, after which he was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the United States Army.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Following two years of service, one overseas in South Korea and one back in the US and Georgia, Winger was hired by a laboratory instrument manufacturing firm in Riviera Beach, Florida.
Speaker 2: Would that would that any desert storm?
Speaker 1: No, I don't know Wayne was in desert storm? Yeah, I didn't know that. Yeah, I don't remember. So he has killed people, he said, he he hasn't, but he said the guy next to him did attitude desert storm here dessert nineteen ninety ninety one. Okay, so yeah, that was earlier there by Iraq's invasion of Kuwait.
Speaker 2: So why was he in you said, Where'd you say he was?
Speaker 1: Where he was? I don't even remember South Korea? Well, he was in South Korea in one back in US and Georgia.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: I wonder what I didn't even know. I guess I don't know enough about what that kind of shit. So hell, yeah, sounds like a smart dude. Got a bachelor's in physics, A second lieutenant in the army working in a lab in Florida. He's got a shit together, so he's got a good career going. And then, of course our dude would go on and get married. He sounds like a real catch, so you know, he ain't staying single for long, I don't know. And soon he would meet a woman by the name of Donna Ellen Brown. Fuck yeah so. Donna Brown born November two, nineteen sixty three. She was born to Sarah Jane Dresher. Oh hell yeah, dude, Hell yeah, dude. And the coolest name ever. Her dad's name, I guess was Cash Brown. Hell yeah, yeah, dude.
Speaker 2: Wow man.
Speaker 1: Born in Hollywood, Florida.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course.
Speaker 1: Let's see a Mark and Donna wedd in nineteen eighty eight and settle down in their home at twenty three zero five Westview Drive in Springfield, Illinois. We're gonna get a few different quotes on there than meeting and stuff like that, So we will be repeating some of this because there's a little bit of new info in each one. Well, let's see, in late nineteen eighty seven or early nineteen eighty eight, Winger was set up on a blind date with an operating room technician Donna Ellen Brown. I can't see anything, yeah, dude, it was just then they go this is I hate these but like I've never been to one, but I have zero. I don't ever want to where it's like the dinners and like the complete darkness.
Speaker 2: Wait, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's I think it's just special occasions. I remember seeing on the Travel Channel We're like, yeah, this is like a fancy dinner, but it's in complete darkness, and the waiters and everyone they have uh like night vision goggles like you're just gonna cut your finger off. I don't do any of That's so awful every time over, every.
Speaker 2: Time I go to a fancy place. How do you cut that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Fuck that dude there? Hey, can you pass me the rolls? Fucking three hours later it gets to be well, how right back, I'm gonna take a pissed and you just crashing.
Speaker 2: Noises, just never come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who's that guy pissing in my salad?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why is this dressing taste?
Speaker 2: Like? Pass?
Speaker 1: Okay, stupid Alright, So they get set up on a blind day. She was an operating room technician. She was a coworker of his brother, Winger proposed marriage after the two had dated for approximately six months, and she accepted. The couple were married on March fourth, nineteen eighty nine, in Hollywood, Florida, and after a short time in Florida, they would settle down in Springfield, Illinois. We'll get into this, but they adopt a baby daughter June first, nineteen ninety five, because she's unable to have kids. Okay, alright, and now onto some of the medium dot com articles at a medium pace, We're going to read you see that shampoo bottle?
Speaker 2: Yeahman, have been been all over this.
Speaker 1: I always think of something I can't remember what. There's something that I hear almost every day at work, like a phrase or something that always reminds me of Uber Driver. Smells something that Uber Driver. Oh wait, that we laughed so hard?
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, that its fucking funny, dude, his movie sucked funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah dude, that's standing dude. That's alright. Yeah, So back to medium dot com articles on this. So Donna Brown, growing up as the eldest of three daughters and a tight knit Jewish family did I don't know why, I just I never met a Jewish kid. Growing up.
Speaker 3: We had one in school that like I remember, like he wore the thing like the little hat hell yeah, yeah, And I remember he showed us like one of his like twelve gifts or whatever the hell it is for Hanukah.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's fucking sweet. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I never met a Jewish kid, never new one in school or growing up or any of that. Of that one, I thought, much like the glitterists, they were all we'll never find it. Yeah found that, Yeah, dude, all right, there's a lot more Jews than there are clitterists. We know that much. It's starting to feel that way, all right.
Speaker 3: It was the lady that pooped on her phone, and we kept cracking joke saying like she only comes when she's shitty.
Speaker 2: You never have to take here. Then it was so good.
Speaker 1: So Donna developed a strong maternal instinct early in life. Her mother, Sarah Jane, wasn't just a parent, but a best friend, creating a foundation of love and support that defined Donna's character nice. Those who knew Donna described her as magnetic, a woman who lit up rooms fucking magnets, dude, made strangers feel immediately comfortable and approach life with boundless enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: And my little kid looks just like Sha.
Speaker 1: My little shaggy little boys look just like Shaggy, and my little boy looks just like Shaggy. Heat so hard. We're never gonna get through this. U sorry, we are getting this.
Speaker 2: That's what we do man.
Speaker 1: So yeah, she worked as an operating room technician, a profession that suited her caring nature.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: At twenty four, her co worker Greg Winger thought she would be perfect for his brother Mark and arrange a blind date that would change both of their lives.
Speaker 2: Winger was a wing man.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah he was Mark Wingman. Dude was Greg Wingman. I mean, I'm sorry. So Mark Winger appeared to be a pretty big catch. He graduated from Virginia Military Institute with a physics degree, served as a second lieutenant in the US Army. He's working as a nuclear engineer.
Speaker 2: Oh damn. So he said.
Speaker 1: He was like quiet, intelligent but had a great sense of humor. And their personalities complimented each other.
Speaker 2: Perfectly, and so I'm sure that money did too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Shit. Within six months of that first date, he proposed, and like we said, they would get married. They were absolutely an adorable model couple is what her mother would how she would describe them.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: Shortly after their wedding, uh, the Wingers moved to Springfield, settling into a comfortable home in Westview Drive, a neighborhood perfect for raising children. Mark worked as a nuclear engineer, while Donna assisted a plastic surgeon at Springfield Memorial Center. Nice for six years, they tried to conceive without success. So he's just fucking blowing load after load, man, so many loads. Yeah, dude, this was devastating for Donna, who had I can't hold that.
Speaker 1: I can't hold any more loads loads in here. Yeah, the fucking too many loads.
Speaker 3: He dropped so many loads and there He's like, do I put the fucking dirty clothes in there too?
Speaker 1: Just put all the load our own new business clothes washing. They just use the load.
Speaker 2: This is so good.
Speaker 1: This was devastating for Donna, who had dreamed of motherhood since childhood. Yeah, it's very sad. She wants to have a child. But in December nineteen ninety four, an opportunity arose when a doctor at Donna's place mentioned a pregnant teenager. You're not gonna hear this, have great news. Yeah, there's a slutty teenager down the road to got knocked up?
Speaker 2: Yeah this, I mean, this is pregnant game.
Speaker 1: And she's planning to put the baby up for adoption.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: Becoming a mother is probably the best thing that ever happened in Donna's life, is what one of her sisters would say. Donna herself confided to her sister Michelle, with tears in her eyes. I knew at the minute they put the baby into my arms that she has always been mine.
Speaker 3: So it was like from like like as soon as she delivered dates game, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: The Wingers that it. She would appear to be the ideal life. They had successful careers, a beautiful home, a loving marriage, and now the child they had longed for. So what could go wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: This guy has everything. Yeah. Quote. When Donna Brown married Mark Winger, it seemed like the beginning of a fairy tale. Mark was a nuclear engineer making seventy two thousand a year, which is She's like back that, Yeah, that's insane. In twenty twe that's over one hundred and fifty thousand. Yeah, so I don't know what that is right now. And Donna worked as an do you see elon is now a yeah fucking sweet. Yeah, dude, I don't like the guy, but I don't.
Speaker 2: Know much about him.
Speaker 3: Like it seems like he's done some good, but then also I don't really know anything else.
Speaker 1: He's super lame. Like he's like like, I mean, I respect his work and everything, but like he thinks like like he's like an old guy who thinks like saying memes out loud is super funny.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, you.
Speaker 1: Know like he he like has said like I have become meme like in the last few years.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, didn't he name his kid like ex Yes, kids all got wild names.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The only thing that appeared to be missing was a family, Like we said, they adopted a baby girl named Bailey in June of nineteen ninety five. I saw this video of Randy organ Or the like randi Or is just living the best life possible. He doesn't like care about pr or anything. No, And they always show him like after a match or like he goes up to his wife in front of the cameras and like always squeezes hers and stuff. I'm like, hell, yeah, dude, he like looking right at squeezing. Donna took their new daughter to visit her mother and stepfather in Florida in August, and upon returning to the Saint Louis Airport, she took a shuttle to the Wingers home in Springfield, which is an hour and a half away. The shuttle was driven by a young man named Roger Harrington. Okay, Roger Harrington, I will let you decide, creep or a hashtag wild man.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say both, all right.
Speaker 1: Twenty seven year old Roger had been working for the company for only six months. I didn't mean to say it like fucking Patty Roger. Yeah, you fucking Doug. So he's been working there for six months. During the ride with Donna, she reported that he was speeding related started talking about having an out of body experience while he was You're not gonna believe this, guys. Yeah, I'm having out of body experience right now.
Speaker 3: It's just a taxi drive from the movie Ghos Dad Satan, Dude.
Speaker 1: Imagine you're in the car with your baby and your driver. Fucking dude, I'm beating and saying I'm having that body.
Speaker 2: Mind right now. You know that dude took some drugs.
Speaker 1: He made Donna nervous and she immediately informed Mark of what had transpired during the drive. Mark called the company and made a complaint to Roger's boss, while Donna, at Mark's insistence, wrote a letter detailing the incident. The company responded by suspending Roger.
Speaker 2: Oh God, all right, yeah, that's gonna get bad.
Speaker 1: Another quote on the incident, Mark, nuclear engineer, and Donna, an operating room technician, appeared to have it all looking in They were a happy couple and we're commended. Members of the community, friends labeled them as a perfect couple. They want it to begin a family. Issues arose when it was discovered that Donna could not bear a child, But like we said, they adopted a baby girl, their daughter, Bailey Elizabeth Winger, and life was becoming complete for the couple. Donna's frequenting visits over the years of their family in Florida. She would go visit them. However, after taking her daughter Bailey with her for a week, when her plane landed at Saint Louis International Airport August twenty third, nineteen ninety five, she had that weird ride home in the shuttle. She would spend the hour and a half ride home with your driver, Roger Harrington we get a little bit more about Roger here. Upon driving home, Donna sat down to document her uncomfortable trip home from the airport. During the drive, Roger disclosed that he often speaks to a godlike spirit named Dom while he drives.
Speaker 2: Hash.
Speaker 1: Hey, by the way, did I mention are you seeing him as Steve Han?
Speaker 2: Yah? Yeah, the whole time.
Speaker 3: Which he made a movie where he like drives people around and kills him rightly. Yeah, I can't remember what it was called, but yeah, I'm seeing him like just that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh. He drove at erratic speeds and spoke of experiencing out of body moments and visions of homicides. Right now, I'm seeing visions of homicides. Imagine her driver telling you just let me out. In an interview, Mark stated that quote he said things about killing people, setting car bombs and mutilating people. M m.
Speaker 2: And they told on this guy and he knows where they live.
Speaker 1: Uneasy with the situation, Mark fall to complain with the Shuttle fan company. He was at a rate over the situation. Uh, Like we said, the manager placed Roger Harrington on a suspension. Okay, so uh yeah, So the wingers complained to Harrington Harrington's employer, saying that Harrington gave Donn a hard time during the ride. Uh, he was also talking about getting high, and he was talking about all these orgies.
Speaker 2: He's been fucked. Yeah, like, I know it's gonna.
Speaker 1: Get bad, but right now he's Ashig Walman. Six days later, Mark Winger calls nine to one one saying that he had shot Harrington to death. Oh okay, after Harrington killed Donna with a hammer in their home.
Speaker 2: Goddamn it.
Speaker 1: Oh that comes out of now. I was hoping that she wouldn't get killed. I figured it was coming. But yeah, it's like, you gotta get here. I shot. He doesn't say Harrington. He says, I shot somebody. I killed somebody. They beat my they were attacking my wife with a hammer. I shot and killed him. Yeah. The police initially believe that Harrington had broken into the Wingers home and murdered Donna in retaliation for their complaint to Harrington's employer. Yeah, so yeah, they don't know anything about this yet. It's very unusual, like, well, how the fuck did he get here? Why did he break in? Yeah? In August, when Bailey was just three months old, this is when Mark traveled to Tennessee for war conference, and this is when Donna was visiting her family. So during that incident, Bailey's only three months old. Yeah. More about Roger. They said he kept talking about killing people, setting car bombs. He drove radically and he would speed up like crazy. Claimed a godlike character would pull him out of his body while driving.
Speaker 2: Hats.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He invited Donna to attend wild sex party. Yeah, dude, and he said, like voices were telling him to hurt people.
Speaker 3: I know, it's too easy for him to be the one just to break in and kill her, so like like for this show, I guarantee that's too easy. Yeah, but it seems like, yeah, he was just gonna do that.
Speaker 1: So when Donna gets home, she was like really unsettled by all this. She called her sisters to tell him about it. She called her best friend Diane Schultz and of course her husband Mark to tell them about the dis being experienced.
Speaker 3: Who's the one that did the fuck? Is it the mummts with the muppets? I mean, was it somebody something Schultz?
Speaker 1: H Jim Henson? Who did something? Charles Schultz?
Speaker 2: Is that one? Yeah? Who did that?
Speaker 1: Charlie Brown?
Speaker 2: Oh maybe was Charlie Brown. Maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 3: I know there was a Schultz like that did one of like the older cartoons. So when she gets home, Mark's not there. So she gets home and that's why she calls her sisters, her best friend, and Mark tells them all about this. And then that's when Mark is like, well, document all this. We're going to file a police report. So they file an actual report about this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. In the days that followed, the Wingers reportedly received strange phone calls. Someone would breathe into the phone and then hang up, fuck you. Mark filed a complaint with the transportation company, which led to Rogers suspension. August twenty ninth, police and paramedics that's when they're called to the Wingers home. Donna, thirty one years old, lay on the dining room floor on her stomach. A pool of blood spread out beneath her. Blood spatter Mark's color, the furniture and a nearby wall and the ceiling was like covered in blood.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: She had been beaten about like someone took a weapon. It was a hammer and like beat in the back for head and she's fucking brutal but everywhere. So here's some details on the crime scene. August twenty ninth, nineteen ninety five, at approximately four point thirty pm, That is when emergency services receive a frantic nine one one call from Mark Winger quote, I just shot this man in my house. He was killing my wife. Please, my baby's crying. I gotta go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that isn't.
Speaker 3: When police arrived at the Winger residence, they found a horrific scene. Like we said, she's face down, brutally bludgeon with a hammer. Roger Harrington is there. He's on his back nearby with two gunshot wounds to the head. Jaquem's calling.
Speaker 1: Sorry, bro, it's not the patre These people don't get that for free. Oh yeah, that's right. If it was the Patreon and Jaquem calls, we would be answered. Lately, I wouldn't the last two weeks, I would not be in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've been hating them a lot lately.
Speaker 1: He's been fucking unbearable, dude. Sorry, so, uh yeah, Roger Harrington is on his back, he's got two gunshot wounds of the head. Bailey three months old, unattended on the bed in the primary bedroom. Not in the same room though, right correct, in the same room. There's a hammer on the ground, so it was the apparent murder weapon. Mark Winger is distraught, but he's unharmed. Mark told police he'd been working out in the basement. Of course he was fucking when he heard a thump upstairs, because Mark, you know this fucker is fucking jacked. He's not at all. Let me fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was down there jacking it.
Speaker 1: The girl I was working I was working out.
Speaker 2: It's just a comedy Central girl has gone wild. Commercial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, girls going Yeah, here's what he looks like. Oh my god, he kind of looked.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's a fucking engineer.
Speaker 2: He should have stayed in the basement.
Speaker 1: Is it okay to come out now there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Did you just kill her? I won't say.
Speaker 1: I won't say anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you throw some snacks down the base?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm hungry.
Speaker 3: If he was working out, it was down there with a fucking shake way doing anything shake wait, dude washing American Gladiator.
Speaker 1: I could do that. I could easily do that.
Speaker 3: He was practicing for fucking Revenge of the Nerds on Broadway.
Speaker 1: So he said, he said, he's working out in the basement. Before he called the police, he put a couple more plates on the bar. I was down here working out.
Speaker 2: I was down there working out the just arrest.
Speaker 3: Clearly three plates. He made the baby put those on there.
Speaker 1: So he said he heard a thump upstairs, and he was concerned that maybe Donna had fallen, So he goes up to check. He finds Bailey alone in the bed, something that Donna would never allow. He then heard a commotion coming from the dining room, so he grabs his gun and he discovered a man who would later be identified as Roger Harrington, and he's savagely attacking Donna with a hammer. According to Mark, he shot the intruder in the head and when Mark or and when Roger tried to get back up, Mark shot him a second time. Bullshit, So that's what he says, and like he's not Jason Moore's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's shot him in the head. He got back up and had to shoot him again.
Speaker 2: Shot I shot him six times.
Speaker 1: Just so here's the evidence of the scene, okay, which kind of are like okay, well, because Mark is like there's a point where Mark asks, He's like, is it like the intruder is his name Roger? And that's when they're like the like, yeah that this is Roger Harrington and he says, oh my god, that's the man who's been harassing my wife this week because he doesn't know what he looks like. Yeah. So, but here's the evidence of the scene. Cigarettes and a coffee mug on the kitchen table that belonged to Roger.
Speaker 2: Fuck why would have a why do you bring coffee?
Speaker 1: Donna's letter describing the disturbing shuttle ride was in the home, Roger's car was parked outside. Inside Roger's car, police found a knife, a tire iron wrapped to the electrical tape, and a note with Mark's name address in the time for thirty pm.
Speaker 2: Fuck y.
Speaker 1: Detective Charlie Cox, one of the first responders, recognized Roger as one of his tenants at a trailer park he owned. He's like, oh shit, I help this guy. I know this fuck it is. Cox knew Roger had a history of psychiatric issues and domestic disputes. Okay, all they all this, Yeah, it's only a matter of time. I guarantee he probably said something like that, only matter of time before he off some bitch. Goddamn, that's my wife. He did it close. So the case seemed pretty straightforward. It disturbed man had stalked and murdered a woman, only to be shot by her heroic husband in self defense. So everyone's fucking sucking Mark to dick right now. They're like, dude, you're a fucking hero. Within forty eight hours, the case is closed. Mark wingers Hail is a hero who tried to save his wife's life. Hell yeah, So it turns out though Roger wasn't as cool as we all thought. I never thought he was cause here's another quote. On the night of the attack. Some days later, this is after the bus incident or the shuttle right incident, we are called nine to one reported having shot Harrington to death not knowing who he was. Yeah, upon catching him bludgeoning his wife Donna the death of a hammer. The case was declared closed at first, but on closer examination it was discovered that the husband appeared as the only possible culprit, and that he had killed Harrington before he murdered his wife after alluring him to the house. Yeah, something's not added. There's a huge clue there because it had his name and not hers. He's like, oh okay. They start to think, like, after a while, I mean, it takes like years, so we'll get there. But they're like, why would a fucking murder bring his own coffee?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did you bring his own coffee? He left a note with his name, right, if he had all that stuff in his car, why would he use I'm I can't remember, but I think that hammer might have been marks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the.
Speaker 3: Note had his name on it though that was in his car, right, Yes, why would it have his name?
Speaker 1: It would have had hers. He doesn't know where her husband is, Yeah, there is. We will find out more about that note.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Police initially suspected that Harrington, who did have a history of mental problems, had given Donna Winger a harrowing ride home from the Saint Louis Airport and scared her and their child, and she was three months old, like we said, to the point where she told her husband about the incident, which was several days before her death, and that Harrington, who was having trouble with his own wife at the time, had broken in the house and beat her to death with a hammer, which, honestly, that all makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it does, Like that's what I thought was coming. Yeah, But then like I was like, fuck, that's too easy for like, we wouldn't get a full episode out of that.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, there's definitely more.
Speaker 1: It makes a perfect sense. This dude with mental health problems and violence had given this woman a ride home. Her and her husband complained about him. He loses his job, he's already having issues. Yeah yeah, he snaps like it fits the police check. That makes my harp per sent Oh for sure, Yeah, yeah, sense, let's close the case. Springfield Police Detective Doug Williamson, the interviewing detective in Wingers initial questioning, was at first persuaded of Wingers innocence, but his partner, Detective Charlie Cox, oh hell yeah. He said that he became suspicious why because Winger kept showing up at the police station. Hashtag wallman dude. It reportedly had begun a few months after the murders occurred. Remember it took two days to close the case. Months later he be showing up asking questions. So he first came by to get his gun because they took it for evidence. So he starts showing up like months later asking him. The two detectives and again have serious thoughts that Winger had possibly committed the murders. All he had to do was not ask questions. Yeah, he would have gotten away with all this.
Speaker 3: Perfect because spoiler alert turns out marked it obvious, which I mean Charlie because Charlie Cox was blind, right, So Charlie Cox, it's just.
Speaker 2: A dared old joke. He plays.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fun. The detective Cox recalls quote, I released the gun back to Mark and we sat and talked for about a half hour. He was one, I need to know how the case was going. As far as I was concerned, he should have just accepted that it was closed. Yeah. They closed it within like two days. Yeah, yeah, so I was the case going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the one that's wind closed.
Speaker 1: I mean you said that that guy broke into your house and killed your wife and then you killed him and self defense.
Speaker 3: He shows up, He's like, have you looked into the husband like that that's you. He's like yeah.
Speaker 1: Although Winger would deny it, Cox also remembered him dropping by a second time to say that he was getting remarried.
Speaker 2: He went to the police station to say that.
Speaker 1: He's like, by the way, I'm marrying my daughter's new nanny.
Speaker 2: Dude hashtag wall Man.
Speaker 1: Whom he had just hired five months after Donna died hashtag wall.
Speaker 3: He's like, oh, by the way, I also took out this huge life insurance like the day before she died.
Speaker 1: By the way, hey, look out that window. You see that's my car right there. You see that young, hot piece of ass. That's my daughter's nanny. And I'm married for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he's like, while we're at it, here's some of my DNA if you want to check the s that was anywhere the cop. Detective Cox says he kept coming in. I kept feeling like he was trying to find out if we were checking into anything. I went back to Doug and says, something's wrong here a big time.
Speaker 1: That's so funny because if he was just locked. Yeah. Winger reportedly told the Springfield police detectives that he ran up from the basement, grabbed a gun and shot Harrington in defense after he saw him over his dead wife. And they're like, yeah, like, shit is just not adding up now, So that's weird. Some more on the crime scene. August twenty ninth, nineteen ninety five, people were just returning home from work to day Mark wing Are called nine to one one to report that he'd shot a man who was killing his wife. When former Springfield police detective Charlie Cox arrived at the Wingers home, he remember they could see the victims from the front door. Donna was clinging to life. Former Sangamon County Assistant State Attorney Steve Weinhoff said she had been hit no less than seven times in the head with a hammer, because she wasn't even dead, like all the way dead yet. Geez, you would think of he's hit her seven times. She's still alive, yeah, fu yeah, yeah yeah. Uh. The second victim, a white man, had suffered two gunshot wounds of the head, but still had a pulse when the police arrived. He's still alive too, dude. Yeah, they're both just barely a lot.
Speaker 3: Dude if he would have survived, dude, yeah.
Speaker 1: Cox says it was quite chaotic. I knew that they were probably going to be transporting the victims soon, so I wanted to try and get identification on the male subject. Cox found the man's wallet and was able to identify him as Roger Harrington. Police recovered a bloody hammer near the two bodies and found Wingers forty five coliber semi automatic handgun, a yellow mug, and a pack of cigarettes on the same dining table. They also noticed that Harrington's car had been parked against traffic facing the wrong direction, So that.
Speaker 3: Would make sense if he had just pulled up up and do it, because they would have been parked the right way.
Speaker 2: He's been here a while.
Speaker 3: Like also if he knew he was going to call the cops because clearly he played this, Why wouldn't you just get rid of the damn coffee cup?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Knew. Bug.
Speaker 1: At the crime scene, Cox said Winger was very upset and emotional, emotional, and he repeatedly asked who the man was that he killed. Cox avoided identifying Harrington and tried to calm Winger down where told police he was on the treadmill in the basement when he heard noise upstairs. Former Springfield Police detective Jim Graham said Winger went to investigate, first going to the master bedroom in the house, where he found Bailey on the bed. Then he heard more noises and he grabbed his handgun from the night stand before heading into the dining room. But wouldn't he is the dining room downstairs? Like did he go up another level? I think if it's a three level house, like he went up another level, says he was in the basement. Yeah, he goes upstairs to the master bedroom.
Speaker 2: Okay, so maybe it's just like a one floorhouse.
Speaker 1: Uh. He said that he when he walked down the hallway, he saw Harrington with a hammer swinging at his wife. Winger said he shot Harrington. They immediately shot him a second time after he began to sit up. As police come to the scene, Winger asked police if the intruder's name was Roger Guy his name Roger Cox confirmed that it was Mark was shocked and said, oh my god, that's the man who's been harassing my wife this week. So the conclusion of the case was that the police believed that Harrington broke into the Wingers home and murdered Donna and retaliation for their complaint to their employer.
Speaker 3: See, it almost seems like it would have looked less like he was setting it up if he wouldn't have said anything about who the guy was and just let them figure it out.
Speaker 1: If he just would have let this, like I said, it was solved in two days. He could have just let it play out and he'd be fine. Yeah, But he's a fucking idiot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like he it seemed like he was smart with like book stuff like Joe, don't murder people.
Speaker 1: By the way, Hey, I know my wife was murdered like five months ago. Did you guys find the killer?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Didn't you kill him? Yeah? Oh yeah. Harrington's family insisted from the beginning that their son was harmless, which I don't know about that. They already said that he had some health mental health issues, and didn't they say he had, uh something else? Didn't we mention something else? I can't remember that he had trouble with or he he had like an assault charge or something. I don't remember, don't I don't remember. I thought I thought we did.
Speaker 2: I don't remember hearing that, but maybe.
Speaker 1: I thought we did. I can't remember now either.
Speaker 2: So big.
Speaker 1: His mom said, Uh, he was no trouble maker. He was a good kid. He wouldn't even strike at anybody. That's what his mother, Helen said. I don't think he had hurt anybody, and I don't think he was crazy. But the mom, like it's his mom, she's always gonna say that. I thought we I thought we read something. I'm trying to fine, but I don't want to slow this down. That's when we were talking about Michael Jackson. Yeah, I thought we said something about him, like they like because they recognized him. Yeah, right here, Cox knew Roger had a history of psychiatric issues and domestic dispute. Oh Roger, I thought you were talking about the husband. No, this was Roger's mom. Okay, So of course his mom is gonna say he ain't no trouble maker. He was a good kid. He wouldn't even strike at anybody. She says, I don't think he would hurt anybody, and I don't think he was crazy, which maybe wasn't, but the police are saying the opposite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's hurt people.
Speaker 1: Donna's mother spoke to twenty twenty about the evening that the family received the news of their daughter's murder. This is Donna's mother, She said, Well, it was four o'clock in the morning. I thought it was PM. And I said, Jenny, it's mom, something terrible has happened. Unless it just took that long, because it happened at four thirty pm. Right, Sarah Jane Dresser said out of her call to Levin, So Levin is her sister. We sat there in my room, just crying at the unimaginable loss. Yeah, that's fucking devastating news.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: After the brutal murder of his first wife, Mark Winger moved on hashtag wown after blowing all those loads, He's gotta drop his load somewhere.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: After all, he was seen as the hero who tried to save her, so everyone wants to get some of Mark's loads at this point, subsequently killing her supposed murder with his handgun moments later. Police quickly concluded the nineteen ninety five killing of Donna Winger was a tragic incident committed at the hands of a seemingly mentally unwell driver who had once driven her home from the airport. It was an earth shattering tragedy for Donna's family, and Winger went on to marry the beautiful young nanny that he'd hire to carry to care for his and his late wife's recently adopted newborn. He then had three more children with her in the following years. Wow hashtag wild man. Yeah, Hey, God have them ribs.
Speaker 3: So he pretty much killed her right after they adopted that kid. Then yeah, three months goddamn three months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then he marries her fucking hot young nanny and has three kids with her. Fuck yeahs so, and I'm gonna say hashtag wild woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, fuck yeah.
Speaker 3: But also like he could have just like, hey, this is over, I don't want to be with you because you can't have kids like it would It sucks much better than murdering her.
Speaker 1: Uh So, now we have a new lady to talk about here, Rebecca Simic. I don't know if that's how you say it or not. She was a young and beautiful nanny with a heart of gold who wanted to help the family. Donna's sister would say, I didn't want to like Rebecca, but it was hard to not like her seeing her with Bailey. There's really nothing bad we could say about her. Everyone's like, yeah, dude, she's like such a fucking nice lady, like a nice girl. And uh yeah. She told twenty twenty she was blown away by what the infant had been through in such a short time. This is what the nanny saying. She just lost two mothers by the time she was three months old. Yeah, and she was so smiley. I wanted to get in there and say I'm gonna help you, and I'm gonna make this little girl's life better. That's what the nanny said. She's like, man, she lost two moms in like three months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, She's like, I married that fucking nerd. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I didn't want to fuck that nerd, but I wanted to take care of this baby, the kids. As Rebecca adjusted to her new role, Donna's friend, Diane Schultz. Do you remember we mentioned her earlier, which was Charles Schultz for Charlie Brown too. Oh okay, yeah, uh, Dean began to make her feel uncomfortable and seemed to be pushing to stay involved in Bailey's life. When you live with someone and you're taking care of a child together, it's very easy to kind of play house. You're already putting those roles, which is what the nanny said. Yeah, Mark made me feel like I was like an angel sent to him from God or Donna, and it was my purpose to make this family whole again. So Diane Schultz was is Donna's friend, and I get it. She doesn't want to see like she was friends with Donna. She's like, well, it's only been a few months and he already moving someone in, like helping out, so I can get why a friend would be defensive of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, his wife's name was Donna. Yeah, Okay, I don't know why I forgot.
Speaker 1: There's a lot there's Dane, let's see here. She says she saw Winger as a hero in the family's tragic story of Donna's murder, and that she believed he tried his best to save her. She said Winger had told her he wasn't able to have children, so uh. She said she was very surprised when she found out she was pregnant with this child only months after moving. Fuck yeah, well, within a year of his wife being fucking murdered, he's already he's got a new kid on the way. She said. Obviously I wasn't careful. It's just kind of a shock, which, you know what, saying like you, we don't need a rubber I can't I can't have kids anyway. That's such a hashtag wabbly Yeah kids, And she said Winger, on the other hand, Uh, he was thrilled that we were having kids. It felt like it was a victory to him. Mark put pressure on me to marry him and have children with Jesus Chris. She said that Winger, who was Jewish when they met, even started going to church with her. She said he told her they could raise a family in a Christian home. He gave the way she must have the fucking nicest. He's like, yeah, fuck being Jewish. I'm giving that up so good. Gives up as religion for it.
Speaker 3: I hope she's hot. But then also like this guy, Yeah, fuck this guy.
Speaker 1: I would I would be honored to be your husband and blessed if you were my wife. Wingers Rabbi Michael dats Is like, come on. Man asked him about his change in faith, and he says that Winger explained that quote Judaism is just too difficult and unforgiving. Rabbi as didn't understand, asking Mark, I don't know what you're talking about. What do you need forgiveness for? And he said Winger didn't respond hell yeah. And then the couple went to Hawaii and got married. Hash, I don't have time to talk to you. I'm getting pussy at Hawaii. I'm gonna go to the police station and tell this in a little bit. By the way, if you need to talk to me about anything about I'll be in Hawaii getting pussy. I'm right back.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you remember, my wife was murdered, if you want to talk about it.
Speaker 1: So, sixteen months after his wife's death, Winger told Sarah Jane Dresser, which was Donna's mom, that he was going to sell the house where Donna had died and he's going to buy another one just outside of town, and that he and Rebecca had started a family of their own.
Speaker 2: And so is her parents like still in the kid's life?
Speaker 1: Yeah? OK, but he's like, you know, I'm just gonna be honest with you. It's been a month, it's been a year and a half. Yeah, come on, I found someone else. We're selling the house. Also, I'm cutting ties with your family. Wow.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, he's like, hey, you want this kid?
Speaker 1: Her mom said, I received a letter from Mark one day saying to me, I could not be called grandma anymore.
Speaker 2: So fucking what dick?
Speaker 1: I wrote him back and I begged him, please let her call me grandma, and he said, I'm sorry, There's no way that I'm going to allow her to call you grandma. And that's the way it is. What an asshole? What a fucking.
Speaker 3: Asshole really is like pretty much like, hey, look into me, because I clearly.
Speaker 1: Murdered my wife, and she said I mourned that loss for a long time. Yeah, for her, that feels like she lost her daughter and granddaughter, Bailey, who is now twenty five years old. This is at the time of this article, told twenty twenty that her grandmother and grandfather, Ira Dresser, would send her birthday card to her every year. I always remembered asking my mom, who's Sarah Jane and Ira? She said, my mom would always explain, like, those are Donna's parents, and they just want to let you know that they love you and that they remember you. Dude, this fucking nanny lady seems like the fucking nicest per. Yeah, so did she didn't they like tell her that her mom got killed? Then I want her, I think so, But she She's like like, yeah, your mom loved you very much, and yeah, weirds like probably like fucking like the Dursleys in the He's fu tossing it with the fire and get back into the fucking closet. So it's nineteen ninety nine or so now Winger has been moving on just fine. He's trying to separate away from Donna's family as well, and he's got a new lady. All right, So nineteen ninety nine, three years after Donna's murder, and then her best friend Deane Schultz, we've talked about her a couple of times. She comes forward and says, all right, I need to come clean. I've been, like, I've been having an affair with Winger before before Donna was murdered. Me and me and Winger were having an affairs. What she said, you lie, that is not the only hot piece of Winger was getting. I was also fucking Winger. I hope they're like, yeah, but you're nowhere near as hot bo. I hope they get sucking. So not a good look for Winger. And like we also said, investigators later became suspicious of Winger, not just because of this, but because he kept coming in talking about the case. That's after three years. Hey, anything anything new going on?
Speaker 3: You haven't checked my uh my old property. Like I buried a bunch of ship there. I just want to make sure you haven't checked it.
Speaker 1: At the time, Dan Schultz, she told police that Winger had made several incriminating comments to her, including it would be easier for us to be together if Donna just died. Fu Yeah, dude, all you'd have to do is come in and find the body. Schultz said she felt at the time that the comments were just crazy talk.
Speaker 2: That's her best friend, right, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude. I bet he never said that after he nutted. This is all pretty nut talk. He's like, he like rolls over, he rolls off after nutting. He's like, fuck, dude, I should have said that. I definitely don't feel that way. You are three and a half years after the murders of Donna Winger and Roger Harrington. This one Schultz came forward to the police telling them about the affair that she'd have with Winger. Mark was having a romantic relationship with Dianne. Levin would say, we considered her like one of our sisters, and that was something that we never ever suspected. Schultz told police about the statements that he made. Dean stated that she declined to participate in that, referring to potentially finding Donna's body because he was like, yeah, you would just have to come in and find the body. Yeah, and that's that.
Speaker 2: I don't want to do that, Wing, I want to do this's my friend.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just finish fucking real quick and see see how we feel. He just as soon as he knows, he's like, never mind, he just leaves. Actually, I don't want to do it. I'm going home. You know you're fuck it. I'll just find her after Mark work out in my basement. After Mark learned about the trip that Donna took with Roger Harrington, he told the end, I've got to get that driver in my house. Yeah, this is so fucked up. Like if you believe in like like God and stuff like that, you're like begging and praying for like, like, man, I gotta have some sort of reason to kill my wife and thank God, just give everything you needed. Is that insane?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: You're not gonna believe the guy who drove me home wanted to kill me and he's crazy, Thank you God. He probably prayed to God, like the Christian God Jewish, being Jewish, and help me get ship killing Jesus Yeah one Schultz Oh. After the murder, schultz life went into a downward spiral because she felt guilty as fuck for not saying yeah, as investigators claimed, she struggled to make sense of the information she knew. She revealed to investigators that she had attempted suicide. Several times.
Speaker 3: Why didn't she just tell them so? I don't know, it seemed like she actually cared about her But man, maybe she didn't.
Speaker 1: But it took her coming forward for the investigators to re examine the case. However, they're like, let's look at the evidence. We still got that evidence saved up, right, Yeah, let's take a look at it. And then they go, look at it. There is none. It's gone. Fuck. Yeah, we were using the bodies for a hat weight. Yeah, here's why the evidence is gone. The evidence they had once held from Harrington and Donald Winger's case had been released to Wingers attorney.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Man, that is a fucking baller move.
Speaker 2: Fuck it.
Speaker 1: It was working on a civil lawsuit against bart Transportation, which is where Harrington were that. I thought you were good Jewish anymore, dude. Winger filed the suit in an attempt to hold the company accountable for his wife's death he fucking did, resumably committed by Harrington, who was the company's employee at the time. Yeah, what a hashtag wile asshole. Police re examined certain aspects of the incidents, such as why there weren't signs of forced entry into the home and why Harrington might have left murder weapons in his car and used a hammer that belonged to the Wingers yea. And also why he fucking brought a coffee mug with that, and also why was the scat And they're like, hey, why was that hammer out anyways? And Mark's like, oh, yeah, he used my hammer. I left it out because I asked Donna to uh to hang up a hat.
Speaker 2: Rack for me.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's what he said, was your hammer? Oh, it was sitting out because I asked to nail a half.
Speaker 2: Racked to the wall, white and nail.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You watch. Well, I'm on the treadmill day. Why why can't you put one nail in the wall. All right, fine, I'll get I'll get the fucking Bailey to do it. Uh. Harrington's car had also been conspicuously conspicuously parked the wrong way, appearing to indicate Harrington did not try to hide that he was at the Wingers home. Detectives also discovered polaroid photos that had been taken of one of the officers or by one of the officers first to arrive on the scene that day in nineteen ninety five. The three photos revealed the position of the bodies before they were rushed to the hospital, and the images did not fit the story. Winger told, how did none of them notice that?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Quote? Mark Winger had stated that Roger Harrington was kneeling down next to Donna Winger's head and he was beating her with a hammer back. He stated that he shot him and that the man fell backwards so that his feet remained near Donna's head. In reality, the polaroid photograph showed the exact opposite, Like, how did no one notice that? Then? Yeah? Cox said, the photo show that Harrington and Donna Winger were lying in the same direction. Oh shit, yeah, as such, there's no way this murder could have happened the way Mark Winger described.
Speaker 3: So he was on his back, but in the same direction as her, like parallel.
Speaker 2: Got cha.
Speaker 1: Mark Winger had concluded that he wanted to kill his wife. That's what Weinhoff said, that fucking detective dude. Whatever. Then Roger Harrington happened to be the one who drove Donna Winger. Mark saw this as a golden opportunity, and he told dm that he needed to get that man into his house, and that's exactly what he did. Man I gotta get that crazy guy in house told.
Speaker 2: Her so she knew this whole time, like that he actually did. Okay.
Speaker 1: In December nineteen ninety nine, more than four years after the murders, the Springfield State Journal Register ran an article based on allegations in the civil lawsuit that Winger had arranged the murder himself and killed both his wife and Harrington.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Allegations were based on a blood spatter expert hired by Bart Transportation in the case. He sued that company. It's so fucking funny, awesome.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Everything came to a head. It changed everything. This is what I think the nanny was saying in this. I mean it went from Winger as a hero who is defending his wife, this noble, stand up guy that every man wanted to pat on the back, to a manipulative of deviant murderer. As the detectives continued their reinvestigation, they learned that Harrington's roommate, Susan Collins, had initially told police that someone asked to meet with Harrington on the day of the murders, and that she'd seen Harrington on the phone arranging arranging that meeting inside Harrington's car. They found a note written on a bank deposit slip with Mark Winger's name, his address, and the time to be there. How do they not put any of this together? Yeah, Weinhoff said Roger Harrington was not an in true, but rather he was lured into that home by Mark Winger. But at the same time, though, I've never been invited to someone else's house where I just brought a coffee mug that belonged to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird. Why do you bring it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Dan schultz cooperation with police and evidence that raised questions about Mark Winger's story prompted the voluntary dismissal of the civil suit against Bart Transportation.
Speaker 3: Like bring bringing the coffee cup is like if you're really coming over for dinner and you bring your own plate.
Speaker 1: All right, So back to the crime scene real quick. The hammer, according to Mark, was his Donna had left it out.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, Donna did it now? Okay?
Speaker 1: And one one thing is says Donna left it out to remind him to hang a hat raut, okay, But in another one is said like he left it out because he asked Donna.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, I feel like he if I mean I know it didn't happen anyway, but do it?
Speaker 1: Hey can didn't do that? Why because I just started a campaign and Halo too, I got ship to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, have you seen a fucking week? I look, he's using the shake.
Speaker 1: He asked the police officers the identity of the man that had attacked his wife and was told it was Roger Harrington. He seemed surprised and then informed the officers and oh my god, that's the guy that had driven Don in the baby back and he was acting weird and he's also been making harassing phone calls all week. He also left drugs all in the house, alter the house, ambulances a riter transport both Don and Roger of the hospital. Roger died soon after arriving and Donna died minutes later, So he didn't even make sure they were both dead. Yeah, that's that's fucking wild.
Speaker 2: If one of them were survived.
Speaker 1: Although Mark said he expected to be taken into custody because he had killed a man, the police declined to do so, feeling that he was a victim rather than a killer. Springfield Police detective Charlie Cox was familiar with Roger as he owned the trailer park with Roger and his then wife had lived. Cox had broken up a physical fight between the two. It is insane that that Mark Winger was literally gift rapally was this fucking it's card, let's drop a fucking violent, crazy dude into his laps to help him kill his wife. Yes, that's insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like God's like, yeah, I feel that guy, bone. Yeah, it's fine. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So everyone thought Mark was a hero, but like, so long, dude. Donna's family, although grief stricken after losing Donna, they rallied behind Mark and supported that sucks so bad. They believe that Donna's chance encounter with Roger Harrington led to her tragic death. Rogers family, however, didn't. They were like, there's no way he murdered her, and they asked the police to look into the case closer, to look into the case closer, but they were like, no, we're going We're not gonna listen to the family of a crazy man. Yeah, fuck you, yeah, bitch. Yeah. So after the death of his wife, that's when Mark hired the nanny by the name of Rebecca to care for the three month old. Oh here's some interesting stuff. He collected a one hundred and fifty thousand dollars life insurance falls scene and yeah, Donna as well as twenty five thousand from a crime, A fucking crime victim's fun, dude, so good. The Chicago Tribune wrote an article on the crime, and Mark wrote a letter to the paper thanking them for their support. Yeah, and then several months after hiring her, he started dating her. Fifteen months after Donna's murders. When he married her, he like we said, he gave up his Jewish roots to become a Christian. He was even baptized. And then they became active in her church. And then Mark started doing construction work as a volunteer for the church as well. They fucking love this guy. He's a hero. He's he's a fucking yeah dude. So so they have Bailey, who they adopted. They have three more children throughout throughout Donna's mother and stepfather, Sarah, Jane, and Ira. They continue to be involved in Bailey's life until he was like, by the way, fucking get out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't talk to her again.
Speaker 1: And then all of this would have been fine if he didn't, just if he didn't keep talking to the police for no reason if he didn't try to get her friend to help. Yeah, so he tried to get one of her friends to help. He kept talking to the police, and then that civil lawsuit fucked up.
Speaker 2: That's so.
Speaker 3: But like did he just like stop banging the friend after he murdered her, like murdered? I don't know, because like wouldn't you think, like she's like, all right, well you're fucking dumping me. I'm just gonna telling you I know everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, alright, let's see here. So Mark himself, so they eventually start talking to him, and let's see here. His visits cause a lead detective Doug Williamson to become suspicious of him. Then he he also sued that transportation company. He tried suing them for millions of dollars over Donna's desk. The shuttle company refusing to pay out, Mark began its own investigation, which is what led to like the blood he he was like gift wrapped, like the most golden opportunity ever, and just because he's a greedy dumb ass, he fucked it up along the way. Yeah, it's like, I bet you I can make more money off of it. Yeah, he's he already has so much money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he was pretty much rich.
Speaker 1: Then Yeah, let's see here. Uh So as part of the reinvestigation, that's when police talked to Dan Schultz. They find out they were having an affair and him saying like he wanted Donna out of the picture and mentioned killing her and asking Deann to like partake in it, like oh, you could show up and find the body, YadA, YadA, YadA. So mark himself. He will admit to the affair at d M, but he denies everything else. Yeah, it's like, yeah, I was fucking her, but everything else is bullshit. But I did fuck her, Yeah, dude, Yeah, dude. They also noted that when when Roger came into the Winger home, this says he brought with him a can of soda and a pack of cigarettes. I don't know if maybe he brought a can of root beer muddy Yeah, and it's somewhere along the way that was translated to bringing his own coffee muff. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know why it'd be funnier if MI Wasnesota. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they both are found in the kitchen table. It seemed odd that someone who was planning a murder would bring that with him, but not the murder weapons. They're like, yeah, this really doesn't make sense. Does he left the murder weapons? But he brought that can of serge? Yeah? And then also the piece of paper in his house or in his car that said Mark Winger and then had Mark Winger's address and then four thirty.
Speaker 2: Clearly that was a meeting. He shouldn't know who he is.
Speaker 3: You've been just going off of like her her him driving her home, like he shouldn't over her.
Speaker 1: Husband, Like wait a minute, Donna was so scared and terrified of this guy, why would they invite him over?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And they're like, well, there's no sign of a break in either any of this shit. So investigators spoke to Roger's former roommates. All three of them claimed that Roger had received a call from Mark Winger, so fucking he told them all, I'm going to Mark Wingers.
Speaker 2: He drew us a map and yeah.
Speaker 1: Investigators spoke to the Wingers next door neighbor who were called hearing the gunshots on that August afternoon. Despite Mark saying that he had shot Roger twice, the neighbors are called hearing the gunshots a few minutes apart, so in his story, he said he shot him once, then he got back up the shot immediately. Neighbors said they heard one and then like a minute or two later they heard another one. Listening to Mark's nine one one call, detectives overheard the sound of someone moaning in pain before Mark disconnected the call. Dude, gotcha, that might have been his wife, Yeah, telling the nine to one operator that his baby daughter was crying and he needed to attend to her. So like, really, because that sounds like that sounds like someone's wife dying. Yeah, no, no, that's my adopted baby. So could it have been like he shot him, called namond one and then like wall on the phone nine one of years him making a noise again, hangs up and goes and shoots him again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What they think actually is that like while he was on the phone with that moaning, he realized that Roger was still alive, and so he's like, my baby's crying. I got so then he hangs up and then goes and shoots Roger again. That's crazy, fucked up. Yeah, so it a pair. It became apparent that Market called Roger to lure him to the home to frame him for Donna's murder. Police arrested Mark Winger in two thousand and one on two counts of murder and held him on a ten million dollar bond.
Speaker 2: Did he have that? Probably?
Speaker 1: Mark contacted a friend by the name of Jeffrey Gelman, a successful Florida real estate developer, to put.
Speaker 2: Up his bond. Fuck.
Speaker 1: It was like, no, dude, I'm doing that. That's that's sweet. During the trial, the owner of the transport plays Raymond Duffy, Hell, yeah, that's sweet, testify that Mark had called a complain about Roger Harrington, and he asked to talk directly to Roger Duffy with Roger first, who gave him the okay to providing Mark with Harrington's phone number. Oh, he gave him his fucking phone number. That doesn't seem right.
Speaker 2: Why would you like.
Speaker 3: This guy's gonna yell at you. Yeah, give him my number. Yeah, Hey, you're not gonna get You're not gonna yell me, right, you only want to yell at Roger. Yeah, here's his phone number. Yeah, here's his address.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors alleged that Mark called Roger around nine a m. On the morning of the murders from his office at the Illinois Department of Nuclear Safety.
Speaker 2: You're fucking working, dude. Yeah. During the call, do your wife.
Speaker 1: The two men agreed to meet at the Winger home later that day to discuss the incident with Donna and baby Bailey. Yeah, let's get hurt. Roger left his home in Mural Mechanics Berg around three thirty, an hour before his pre arranged meeting with Winger. Dan Schultz, who is don his best friend and the woman with whom Marcus having an affair with at the time, was given immunity in exchange for her testimony. So that's why she doesn't get in any in trouble. She testified about the affair, and marcis sertin since that he wanted Donna Gaunt so that he and Deian could marry and raise baby Bailey. But then he doesn't. I'm so sorry, Dan, but I didn't know that hot piece.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be the nanny bitch.
Speaker 1: Uh. The defense argued that Dean was an unreliable witness dude to her having undergone electro shock therapy following suicide attacks. You can't trust that bitch. She tried to kill herself. She's fucking zapped. I ain't trusted a bit that's been zapped.
Speaker 2: That's so fucking.
Speaker 1: Hash.
Speaker 2: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: That sounds like something straight out of guy's court?
Speaker 2: Do you get that bitch?
Speaker 1: He trusted a bitch who's had fucking lightning in a head.
Speaker 2: Fuck that bit, what, let's fucking electric cure it again? Hear the chair?
Speaker 1: Yeah. The defense also called a blood spatter expert who testified the blood pattern at the crime scene supported Mark's story, like I don't know that guy says that. Uh. They deliberated for thirteen hours and then found Mark Winger guilty of murder.
Speaker 2: Fuck you.
Speaker 1: The jurors found Rogers drinking cigarettes on the kitchen table, telling as well as the note left behind in his car and the fact that he did not bring a weapon with him.
Speaker 2: Dude's so good.
Speaker 1: During sentencing, Mark continued to protest his innocence, even giving a lengthy speech to the judge where he asserted that Roger Harrington had killed Donna. So he said, like, you don't understand he saw Roger do it. He sentenced a life in prison without the possibility of parole and sent to the Pawntiac Correctional Center in Pontiac, Illinois. Hell I saw what he looks like. He has like a giant fucking Santa Claus Beard.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah, so his hot peace ass. Nanny White Rebecca. She stood by her husband and supported him throughout the trial. However, as soon as they found him guilty, she followed for divorce.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: She left the area and changed the children's last names and an attempt to protect them.
Speaker 2: Nice tell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's good for her. The story is not over. Mark Winger's story is not over, though. Shortly after arriving in Aniak in August of two thousand and two, he struck up a friendship with a fellow inmate named Terry Hubble. Like Winger, Hubble was in prison for beating a woman to death. Yeah this looks like good company.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Winger apparently thought he was a perfect partner and a murder for higher plot. Hell yeah, to eliminate a witness in his case. The case is over. Yeah, I need you to kill Dian Schultz. Fuck yeah, dude, the woman he had promised to marry once Donald was out of the picture. Hubble didn't think much of Wingers solicitation, since quote, everybody that has in prison pretty well says they would like to get rid of a witness in their face.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 3: Winger was not to be deterred and eventually provided Hubble with a nineteen page handwritten note outlining his plans.
Speaker 2: Dude, fuck yeah, dude, he's like, I'm not reading all this.
Speaker 1: Which now included kidnapping Jeff Gelman.
Speaker 2: Why who's that? He was the guy?
Speaker 1: No, he's the realtor who wouldn't post a bail. Oh, you got to kidnap that guy. I heard he could like see like, it's just a Helpble Teles.
Speaker 2: Know how to do this.
Speaker 1: We got to kidnap that guy because he's got money. He wouldn't post my bail and I don't like that. Wingers plan was to extort huge sums of money in exchange for not hurting Galman's family. Wow, I promise that would not be kept. His Wingers plan was not only to kill Galman, but his family as well. Yeah, keep reading reading the nineteen page hand written note. The money received from Galman would then pay a hit man to kidnap Diane Schultz, who would then be forced to record and write statements that she had committed perjury during the trial that Mark Winger was innocent. How they're gonna kill her, though, how would setting up this plan? Yeah, clearly you set this plan up. How would any of that lead to you being in it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Once that been completed, Schultz would be killed, but her death should be made to look like a suicide. Hey, the bitch is already suicide. He's already been zapped.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's already zapped.
Speaker 1: In true engineer style, Winger ordered that fingerprints to be found on schultz suicide note and the cassette tape in which she would state that she had committed perjury be hers, and her DNA was to be found on both the envelope and stamp that would contain the suicide note. Fuck yeah, the fucking idiot. Should any money be left over after these schemes. So he's like, we're gonna take him for a ton of money. We're gonna use that money to pay a hit man, which hit band I don't know yet. We're gonna find one to pay one to kill this woman. If there is money left over, let's go ahead, and we're gonna set up an additional hit. My father in law, Ira Dresser, Why what do he do because he's a son of a gunfather in law and I don't like him.
Speaker 2: Fuck you.
Speaker 1: Idiot, what's the guy helping him getting out of it? Day?
Speaker 2: If you're using all the money for the hitman.
Speaker 1: Let's see here for all of his planning. However, Winger apparently didn't consider that he would be the common link in the deaths of the Galman family, Dan Schultz, and Irish Rush. Yeah, fucking idiot. Yeah, what do all three of those have in common? I don't know you, Mark Winger? Dumbas Yeah. Two thousand and six, Winger, then forty eight years old, was indicted for a solicitation. He claimed that his murder plots were pure fantasy, spurned on by his anger over his conviction, by the way which he believed was politically motivated.
Speaker 2: Them.
Speaker 1: He also blamed his revenge fantasies on the dehumanizing conditions at maximum security prisons, which he described as a warehouse of men but also insane asylums. Hubble, the man he had solicitated, he said, was a sly fox that was scamming him, and he claimed to fear Hubble all right. The jury didn't believe him, of course not, and after three hours of deliberation, he was convict in June two thousand and seven and was gifted with two thirty five years sentences. Yeah, that were tacked on to the end of his life, like he's already in like like in jail for life, and they're like, by the way, Jose, two more thirty five year.
Speaker 2: Like the three hour thing. That means the jurors went and got launched and came back like, by the way guilty.
Speaker 1: That was the Carmelo Anthony fucking yeah, let's go ahead, Let's eat a couple of croissants and fill this paperwork out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can we just hold him guilty now and then go?
Speaker 1: So the Winger case was fictionalized on an episode of CSI also forty eight hours. I've never seen forty eight hours. I don't really don't know what that is, but this case is like a popular one in shows and stuff. Following Donna's murder, Sarah Jane and Ira Dresser raise over forty thousand dollars to build Donna's playroom in Joe DiMaggio's Children's hospital in Hollywood, Florida in nineteen ninety eight. So that's awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: After their former son in law was exposed as Donna's killer, they established Donna's Fun in Broward County, Florida Women Florida's Women in Distress shelter. So they're doing good. That's awesome that they're doing stuff like that, not even realizing that from prison, he's trying to find him killed, get a hit man to kill him. Yeah, Ira isn't even mentioned at all in his story, so like, why does he want to be? Although Rebecca the Nanny said her marriage to Mark was a happy one because yes, she didn't know any of that. They had like a normal happy life actually, yeah, surrounded by their children and church family. She took to children and moved to Louisville, Kentucky. Following the two thousand and two trial. Winger responded by threatening her life. What Yeah, the two were divorced and she has remained private because she changed her name the kids in all that stuff. In a rare twenty sixteen interview, she says she wanted to provide support to other single moms and that family members of convicted murderers were living victims. She also claimed that the entire experience with Winger only strengthened her religious faith.
Speaker 2: All Right, it seems like a nice girl.
Speaker 1: Roger Harrington's parents, Ralph and Helen, they live to see their son's name cleared, which was nice good and they also saw Mark Winger convicted of the murders of Donna and Roger. Ralph died in twenty ten at the age of seventy three, so as of right now, Mark is still incarcerated at Maynard Correctional Center in Illinois. The formerly slender engineer has now reportedly beefed up to two hundred and fifteen pounds. O dude, they're like you. Not only does he have a giant fucking wizard beard, he's jacked and he also he got an eagle tattoo on his leg.
Speaker 2: God damn it.
Speaker 1: What fu Yeah, very litigious. He mounted numerous lawsuits beginning two thousand and six concerning where he can exercise. There's no there's no word out you know who also can't excite your fucking yeah so bitch. By the way, he also says he suffers from depression. Yeah, yeah, No one cares about me, dude, I'm depressed, I have panic attacks. No one fucking cares about about me, don't and physical illness caused by his exclusion from the prisons exercise yard. By the way, we're back on that. Yeah, I fucking physically.
Speaker 3: I can't exercise. Dude, you're in there for life. Why do you want to get fit? Like, yeah, just dive faster.
Speaker 1: As the exclusion forced him to remain within his cell, he argued that constituted cruel and unusual punishment had a violation of his eight Who cares, dude, Yeah he's yeah, who cares? He's He's in there forever. He's dumb. He saw he had everything gifted to him perfectly, and he just couldn't be a fucking idiot dude.
Speaker 2: Like that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, he wasn't going anyway because he had he had no possibility of parole. But him fucking coming up with that scheme is so goddamn funny. The other way killed that guy? If not, all I'm saying is if over, Yeah, how many members of Blink one two there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, now there's gonna be one last if there's if there's anybody left over, there's gonna be one last. That's the only one they can't trace back to him. Yeah, and randomly's somewhat killed the fucking Travis Barker. We can't figure out why.
Speaker 2: For some reason, his body is in there with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what happened, So alrighty that was our case. We're gonna go ahead and shut her down. Anything you want to say, Primo, that.
Speaker 2: Was crazy one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a wild one.
Speaker 2: He had some hashtag wildman's and there. I mean, the whole scheme is a hashag.
Speaker 1: Dude, it really is he and like, I know, we've said it a bunch. He easily he did get away with it. Yeah, and then he just wouldn't stop being an idiot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like he like it wasn't even him getting away with it, was just like the circumstances like yeah, yeah, that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: And he's like, let me try get some more money out of it.
Speaker 1: What's going on, Detective Si, Do you guys get a chance to look closer at the evidence. I'm not saying you should, please don't, but are you looking? You know, hey, do you see that ful Hey by the way, look at that window. You see that hot piece of as good? Yeah, that's my truck. That's my truck, and that's my fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He's like he keeps going in there asking for that bowler with the bodies he has that we can't give you that, dude.
Speaker 1: He's like he's like, yeah, do you see that bumper sticker my truck? My fuck, that is copyright. I am.
Speaker 2: Copy.
Speaker 1: That's copyright, motherfucker the copyright.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's it's copyright.
Speaker 1: That's copyright, motherfucker.
Speaker 3: Was when you told the story about the girl coming up the idea where fun what was like homeless people like fighting each other or something like that, And then.
Speaker 1: I was like, she just looks at the classes and that's copyright. I fealing that fucking guy we were watching the Super Bowl with No it was wrestling, oh right, yeah, for green Man it was Jeremy and he looked down at it was like a pack of gum, and he goes, that's.
Speaker 3: Copyright for a bit, and we're just like what, like nobody Like I think green Man just knew not to pay attention to him because he was an idiot.
Speaker 2: But like, I'm just like what I was talking about.
Speaker 1: I was also mixing it up with when we were watching the Super Bowl. It was when the Saints were in it, but there was a guy we were watching it with. I don't remember who he was, but he's like, oh man, he's a great quarterback. You see the way that the ball drops back and throws it? Yeah, yeah, dude, is that one quarterback?
Speaker 2: I don't remember who that was. Guy.
Speaker 1: You see the way he like they he yells hike and then he just gets he throws the ball. But talking about the rewind out he threw that ball, Yeah, you see the way he like stepped back and threw the balls. Dude. Yeah, dude, it's the fucking super Bowl that he could throw it if.
Speaker 2: You ever watched any sport ever.
Speaker 1: So all right, we're gonna shut her down now and get onto the Patreon episode. So thank you so much for joining us. Be good and laugh at the dark stuff. Hashtag wild man, hashtag wild woman, hashtag wing man. Oh yeah, fucking winger winger A winger hardly knewer. So all I'm saying is literally all you have to do is show up and just find the bitch dead dude, and don't tell anyone in prison.
Speaker 2: Like how did that like scheme can take nineteen pages?
Speaker 1: He like drew it.
Speaker 3: All it needed to be was like the hit list and like yeah, like it didn't like hire hitman for this, hitman for this, Like what were the other nineteen like.
Speaker 1: Half of them are just the captain on our pants flip a rama, why is this? He's like, yeah, she's alive. Now she's dead, alive dead live dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just like it was nineteen pages because he wrote it on like a Calvin and Hobbes.
Speaker 1: But all right, we're shut her down. Yeah, come on down is the first calm place to know. Come to the father to
Speaker 2: The brothers,