Speaker 1: Are you ready for another Minnesota goodbye? Of me going on? Let's see what else we got here? No, not that one. Okay, let's look. I wonder if, when you hear I think we brought this up before, if you send in an email for Minnesota goodbye, if you're kind of there like waiting as you're listening, going ah, they gonna read mine? Are are they gonna read mine?
Speaker 2: Are?
Speaker 1: Are they gonna read mine? Have you ever written a letter to Okay, I'll give you one like the newspaper. Have you ever written a letter to the newspaper? Nobody reads newspapers anymore.
Speaker 3: I get that.
Speaker 1: I did, and they printed it and I was like oo, and they're us remember, yeah it was. It was actually I regret it now. It was really stupid. But but I'll tell you this to tell you a story. So thirty years ago, there was a little girl named Jessica McClure, I think, and she was a six year old girl who flew airplanes. And I don't even know if that's her name, but she was a little girl, only six, six years old, and she flew airplanes, and she was going to fly from coast to coast. And it is no well, it was. It was all a bunch of it was a bunch of horseshit, honestly, because you cannot be a pilot, licensed pilot at six years old. But her mom and dad loved the idea that their little girl would get worldwide press by doing this coast to coast flight. So they flew from California with dad in the backseat and a qualified flight instructor pilot in the front seat doing really most of the flying, and she sat up on these little pillows and so the media basically chased her across the country. And you know, I think about on day two or so, they were in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and they were trying to meet media deadlines and because they had you know, they're going to land in you know, let's say Des Moines later that afternoon, so they needed to take off. And Dad was you know, he was you know, he was a stupid, foolish person that was using his daughter to get fame and notoriety. And mom was just as bad. But mom wasn't on the plane. Well, they took off in bad weather in Cheyenne to meet this deadline, and they crashed when they took off, and everybody on the plane died. Oh God, it was terrible. But what really made it hard was we had had that little girl on the air on the show a couple of days before.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And I remember when I read the story, it came over across the bulletin. You know, machine, there's a word for it, like the wire is what we call it in the business. And it came across the wire and I looked at it and I just sat down, just stunned that this little girl had died. And you can look up the story and I can't remember, but I think it's jes Jessica McClure, but I'm not sure. And it was just tragic, and she should have been in that weather and she probably wasn't doing any of the flying, and it was all just a bunch of horseshit, honestly that mom and dad had set up. And so I wrote to the Star Tribune and I said something like, well, it's such a sad thing, but at least she died doing what she loved. And I look back that and go, she didn't have any idea what she was doing. She wasn't old enough to know what she was doing. She was doing what Mommy and Daddy wanted her to do, and she probably thought it was fun, like a carnival ride, but she didn't realize that she could die or even what danger or death is. So I look back on that letter and I'm like, that was stupid that I wrote that.
Speaker 4: So wow, that's that's weird because it's like her parents were like show parents, you know, like a like the dance mom's kind of but instead it risks your life when it involves planes and you're up in the sky versus you know, standing on a stage doing tap dancing. But it's the same kind of vibe of having show parents like, oh, well, you're going to do what we want you to do, and you're going to do it really good.
Speaker 1: And they're all like game that the little kid loves it. They all like John Benney Ramsay when she was like you know the little lady queen, Yeah, beauty queen. Yeah. Mom was like she absolutely loves it. And I don't know that I totally disagree or agree with that. There's somebody on the roof over there, you guys, you know there's somebody on the roof, Like look over there. Oh that's crazy. The building over Yeah, they're like fifteen stories up.
Speaker 2: Oh that was the most squirrel thing I've ever seen of you. You were fully entranced in your conversation, and then your eyes started over and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, there's people on the roof up there. That's kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: Really, it's like a it's like a sun.
Speaker 1: Deck though they just went behind the corner there. Yeah, and I can't see it by the kemps sign.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you.
Speaker 2: Listening to the podcast is so entertained.
Speaker 1: Well, let me know whether that that would be an interesting discussion dance moms and beauty pageant moms. Yeah, because you look at, like, you know, some of these and it's like, do these little girls really enjoy it? Maybe she's really talented, but is she doing it? Because it just makes mom and dad so happy.
Speaker 4: I think they enjoy the love from their parents, whoever that show parent may be. Is they get a lot of attention when it's like, oh, mommy wants you to be the star of the show, and you're a star, you have so much talent, Like obviously anyone responds to that kind of love.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you, guys something I did over the weekend that I feel like almost like gave my niece a little bit of a complex, and I felt really bad about it. So she was like getting ready for her birthday party and she kind of just had like jeans and a T shirt on, and her birthday party was an Easter egg Hunt, and I wasn't sure if like she was gonna dress like a little bit nicer because it was her birthday party.
Speaker 3: So I asked her.
Speaker 2: I was like, hey, is this what you're wearing for your party? I want to get a picture with you before everyone starts coming. And she kind of looked at me, She's like, well, yeah, why, And I was like, well, I just wanted to I didn't know if you were maybe changing into something different whatever. And then I realized her shirt said like Easter egg Hunt or specific on it. But I just like in my mind wasn't really thinking like she's going to be running around in dirt, and like this makes a lot of sense. I thought, oh, it's a birthday party, she might be dressing in like a dress or something. But I felt this like kind of sadness in her. And then I felt so bad that like I maybe gave her the impression that she should be wearing something nicer, even though I didn't say that. Yeah, but I felt so bad in that moment and just doing that to my niece. I don't I don't know how parents could like push things on their kids because.
Speaker 3: I felt so bad just doing it that one moment. Yeah, I just I don't get that.
Speaker 1: You know, kids are so resilient, but at the same time, you never know what is going to stick with a kid. In my book, take a shower, show up on time, and don't steal anything. I tell the story about my grandma who's been gone for forty years or so, and grandma when she was a little kid, her mom had a friend over to have coffee, and so they're sitting there in the living room and my grandma was five, and my grandma was showing off like a five year old would do, and they love to show off and look at me, look at me, look at me. And her mother said to my grandma, you be quiet. Nobody wants to hear what you have to say. And that stuck with my grandma her entire life. And she was very shy because her mother hadn't planted in her mind at five, you be quiet, nobody wants to hear what you have to say, that's so sad. Yeah, So you never know what your kids are going to remember. But I remember, like when I broke Carson's recorder over my knee. He doesn't remember it. Yeah, so that didn't affect him.
Speaker 3: But who remembers other stuff? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And hopefully they remember the positive stuff like oh, you're so smart, I'm so proud of you, but they probably I wonder if we tend to remember the negative stuff more.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sure my mom says a lot of nice things to me, but I only remember the mean things that she said to me growing up.
Speaker 3: So but I'm sure she doesn't.
Speaker 1: They say, the axe forgets, but the tree remembers. You never heard that before. The axe forgets, but the tree remembers. And an example is like when Susan was little, she had two older brothers that used to mercilessly pick on her and they called her fubs, which was part fat and part chubby, and they called her Fubbs, and she a few years ago, she said, do you remember that? And they're both like, I don't remember that at all. That was us. Yeah, So the axe forgets, but the tree remembers. Here we go with an email Abanda, riid Sand Hello All, in response to Monday Show Dave you Gotta get an e bike? My husband and I bought a pair last spring and we've had a blast with them. There's so many trails and places to ride. You can turn off the electric assistant pedal on your own, kick it up and notch for a little boost, or crank that bitch all the way up and cruise without pedaling it all. They're especially great for those long, flat stretches when you want to give your legs a break. We can easily ride twenty five or thirty miles and it feels effortless. We first tried them out at a bike shop in still Water. There's a lot of places that rent them if you want to test one out before committing. Since they're not cheap, Biking across both bridges and still Water on an e bike makes for a fun afternoon. Plus there's some amazing scenic trails along the river. Take Care Dart Liquors, BFF, Amanda. You know, my only hesitation is I don't want to use time that I should be exercising to be not exercising.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, Biden is still exercise A little bit, no you can. I mean the guy from Eric's even called like a lot of I think he didn't. He say the one he does is like you have to pedal to get like the motor to even work to be able to.
Speaker 3: Go, so you're still pedaling.
Speaker 4: It's because he said that there are some that are that you still pedal and then the motor just makes you go further, versus the ones where you can stop pedaling and then the motor just goes on its own. Just go for the one that actually requires more effort, he said it.
Speaker 3: Listen back, Okay, how do that?
Speaker 1: If you missed it. He was on the show Monday at about nine thirty five or so, and it was actually Eric from Eric'spike Shop. Yeah, because a friend of his was listening and said, Eric, they're talking about John KTWB. It was very informative. Check it out. Here's an email. It says, Hello, I was listening to the Friday Show and I couldn't stop laughing about the weird Kids segment. My daughter has autism spectrum disorder level one, previously diagnosed as Asperger's and I totally see how some of her quirks may make her the weird kid. I'm very excited to see how her weird kin tendencies flourish. Our family loves to find the humor in things, and boy does she bring us the humor. The things my kid does makes me laugh so much. She met you guys at Dave and Busters and her pj's because of her PJ phase. You should have seen how she actually wanted to meet you. I'll attach a photo. She wanted to wear a pink robe and her pink helmet to match the ensemble. I had her leave her accessories in the car. I love how Bailey kept saying the weird kids were her friends. I love the weird kids and if they got some occupational therapy, they can learn what is socially acceptable and be able to choose how to present themselves. Anyway, keep up the hilarious content. I will say, I just glanced at the picture that you sent from Dave and Busters and the picture of your daughter in her pink bathrobe and her pink bike helmet, and that is adorable and it makes me smile, so thank you for sending that one.
Speaker 3: We love the color pink and I love that your kid is weird. Weird kids are the best.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Stephanie for sending that along. Next one, Okay, hold on, I want to see whether there's something. This is the part where Dave is like, hmmm.
Speaker 3: Un this, I'm going to try to sup super Yeah.
Speaker 1: Kay. They said, Jenny, you need a massage. Basically they they are a massage therapist and they want to give you a massage. And his name is Larry. He's sixty four years old. He's not a therapist, but he just wants to give you a massage. Okay, is it naked or it is naked? Interesting?
Speaker 2: Does he say anything about having soft hands?
Speaker 1: Because I'm sold then Well, as a matter of fact, he does have soft hands, So I will give you his number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even make that happen.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's try this one. Honestly, I I I think we're done. I think that's it. Let me see here. Okay, here's one from Chow and I don't think we've read this one. Hi, gang. Sorry, I've been gone for a while. Had to take six months off to take care of a newborn son. Also, I started a new job. Had to find a night shift job so I can work it out with a wife with a babysitting starting a new job kind of sucks, especially when you don't know anybody. I know, I probably lost my spot in the top twenty Minnesota goodbye staff riders, But I wanted to let you know that I'm out here still and listening. That's from Chow Chow. We still love you. It's okay. You had a great excuse a baby, babe, so I think you're good.
Speaker 4: I hope your baby is very cute and squishy, squishy, squishy, I mean, a squishy baby is better than not a squishy baby.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess you don't want a bony baby.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, seeks frat baby chunk baby.
Speaker 1: Ever, when they're laying on their back, you take their fat little legs and you make a bicycle motion.
Speaker 3: Whether then they fart? Yeah, don't it doesn't that make them fart?
Speaker 1: Well, it doesn't make them fart.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to help release gas. Yes, really, yeah, okay, people have tried on me before.
Speaker 1: Are you being serious?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, work for me. Oh it surprises me. I've got the two granddaughters, they're four and two. It surprises me how loudly they fart. Oh yeah, I mean it's like they're tiny little humans and I'm like, what the ava I touted, Yeah, yeah you did all right. That is going to wrap it up for the men and soda goodbye. Let us know about dance moms, but also not just dance moms, but dance like sports moms and sports dads and things like that. I didn't come from a sport family. We were just not. My dad didn't like sports. He was very bitter because the athletes in college got all the breaks, and they got the good grades and they didn't have to come to class. And this was way back in the day when it was probably way worse than it is now. So if you played on the football team or the baseball team or whatever, you didn't have to come to class. You just got an a just for being on the football I don't know all of that. So we're not a sports family. But if there's so many sports families. I was talking to well in our meeting yesterday. Yeah, one of the guys Pat that works here, didn't he say something like, yeah, it's sport volleyball at toured baseball, traveling soccer season.
Speaker 2: They've got two kids in sports, and so basically one parent takes one to one traveling sport on the weekend and the other one goes to the other and then they have Sunday dinner together and that's when they all see each other. It's how it like, there was yeah going and that sounds so exhausting.
Speaker 1: It sounds awful. It sounds awful, But I know that people really enjoy it. I know some hockey families, and to me, it sounds is like, oh, we're going to Fargo for the weekend. We get there Thursday afternoon, we don't get home until probably two o'clock in the morning on Monday. Fucking horrible. Yeah, sounds awful, But they love it. It's their culture. And they get drunk in each other's hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they all all the parents just get together and like drink and then like have to go hung over to their kids game at eight in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if you know anything about that, But here's my question, do your kids really enjoy it? Or if you were from a sports fan family and you had to get up and get ice time at five point thirty in the morning because mom wanted you to be like the best hockey hockey player that you could be, did you like it or were you're like, oh god, I hate feeling this pressure. Let me tell me your story. Send your email to Ryan's show at KDWB dot com. Thank you for listening to the Minnesota Goodbye.