Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. You know what day it is. It's the fifth of July show. Hey, Tani's on the mound. Yes, all of that is true, but and it's his birthday. The real thing going on today is snell Zilla's Saturday with my guy, Blake Snell. Before first pitch, thanks a lot for the time and happy Saturday.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you. It's good to be back on.
Speaker 1: Oh he's in a great mood because he threw for the second time on this home Standay hitters, How did it feel today?
Speaker 2: Now? I felt good. It's good to be back.
Speaker 3: It's good to you know, learn again and feel and know that it's getting closer to pitching and getting back to that. So happy with today. I just I felt like the fastball was better. I feel like I got a lot better from the first one to this one. So starting to repeat stuff and feel stuff that's right wrong, and yeah, I'm getting getting better.
Speaker 1: You had a big leaguer in the mix today, Hay Song Kim. Did you requires that or did he want to see what snail Zilla is all about? Uh?
Speaker 2: He needed some AB's Yeah, So he got in there and Uh, No, that was good.
Speaker 3: You know, you need facing big leader is always good, so I appreciate him doing that.
Speaker 1: When the games are going on. You've explained to me how you read hitter swings in a situation like today. Is that what you're doing or are you more focused on what you're doing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, folks, on what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: And then you know, trust and feel and understanding hitters when they get into the box what they're presenting and and you know what.
Speaker 2: That tells me?
Speaker 3: And then you know, how do I plan on dissecting? You know that? And just more strikes, you know. I mean, the more I get ahead, the better. And yeah, as I've gotten older, I felt like I've done a lot better job of that and understanding that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, they just get in the box.
Speaker 3: You just learn what they're telling you, and then you just pitch and see if you're right or wrong and you adjust.
Speaker 1: This is the first time I've been around you every day, and I knew it was rough for you when you had to go on the I l I know it was tough for you when you couldn't throw, But I feel like there's a change. There's been a change the last three weeks and even on this homestand it feels like you believe you're close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I know I'm close. I feel good, I feel healthy. Put a lot of work in to get to where I'm at right now, and I'm really happy about it. And you know, got a lot more to do before I come back, but I really can't wait. This is this is what I do, It's what I love, and that's just it's all I.
Speaker 2: Want to do.
Speaker 1: So since I am and this is the platform of snail Zilla on Saturdays, what's the next step.
Speaker 3: I think I want to rehab starting next. They'll let me know, but I think that's what's next. And then, yeah, just get going, get closer to getting back here.
Speaker 1: Does it make it easier with the lead this team has built without you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it definitely helps.
Speaker 3: It's fun to watch and see, you know, guys get there their opportunities and then the boys that you know are here for a long time just doing what they've been doing their whole career.
Speaker 2: But it's not surprising or anything to me.
Speaker 3: I think we should be even better and I think the best is yet to come.
Speaker 1: I know, players never feel the pressure. I mean, that's why You guys are the best of the best, and you're a two time cy Young winner. But to have this type of team, to have this type of lead, they really don't need you to come in here and save the season, unlike other teams you've been on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I just need to come back and be ready to dominate and finish the year strong and then you know, figure out what I need to do to make sure I'm healthy for the full season next year.
Speaker 1: Blake Snell is our guest. You know what it is, no Zilla Saturday at Dodgers Stadium, you were here for Clayton Kershaw's three thousand strikeout. You had the best seat in the house in the dugout. What was that moment like for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, it was cool to see a part of history, only for to do it left handed.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I'm chasing out after him, seeing if I can do what he's been able to do, and I'll see if I could be better. And that's that's you know, that's a big feat to try to do. But it's that I look forward to and I get to see it every day, and you know, it's just it's impressive to see what he's still able to do with you know, just how competitive he is and and.
Speaker 2: That's why he's so good.
Speaker 3: He's just he competes, and he never gives in, and he's always finding a way to get better.
Speaker 2: He works his butt off, and you know, it's just fun to be around, fun to learn and observe.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean, what a privilege to be able to watch that, you know, in the dugout and see that and then the moment itself, just how special it was, and the fans that have watched it for you know, so many years to see that.
Speaker 2: It's just so special and surreal, and yeah, I was just.
Speaker 3: So so happy, you know, for him and what he's done in this game.
Speaker 2: Isn't it crazy?
Speaker 1: That was a game first week of July against the White Sox, who do not have the best of records, yet it felt like a playoff that Misphere that night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, he got two strikes on so many hitters. I was like, well, like come on, and you could tell. I mean, you know he's trying to get it, get it as well. And for him to do it and you know at the sixth the end of the sixth and you had to battle and to finally get it and then that's it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was it was perfect.
Speaker 1: So how about when he went out for the sixth inning, the crowd he erupted, gave him a standing ovation. That was that was special.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, he went out just you know the guys that were coming up, and the possibility of a strikeout was pretty high. And yeah, I mean that was amazing. I think everyone knew that was gonna happen.
Speaker 2: We wanted. Everyone wants him to get it, you know, get three thousand here. You don't want him to get it on the road.
Speaker 1: What you think about his toast after the game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, awesome, Yeah, everything, I mean that's who he is. Yeah, awesome.
Speaker 1: Blake Snail is our guest, two time two time Cy Young Award winner on his way back very soon after the All Star break, Snow will pick up where he left off in a much better way, and certainly pitching herd is not fun. I was gonna ask you about just Michael Conforto because you were teammates with him in San Francisco. I don't know if you've heard about the reason why he's come out of his slump. Have you heard about how he's come out.
Speaker 2: Of his slumps. But what do you got?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there is one scenario about the new bat all that that's part of the equation.
Speaker 2: But JD.
Speaker 1: Martinez, his only year with the Dodgers, was struggling. So we did a pregame interview, and because I broke my wrist going down the slide, he did get the dead fish handshake. So I felt like CONFORDO needed that. Do you want to feel the dead fish handshake right now?
Speaker 2: No chance? No, you keep that to yourself.
Speaker 1: You're making it sound a lot more creepy than it is. Are you sure you don't want to feel the dead fish handshake?
Speaker 2: No, learn how to go down a slide.
Speaker 1: I'm staying back from Milwaukee just to be safe this time. I want to keep the marriage attack for one more year.
Speaker 2: Yeah I like that. Yeah, no more Milwaukee trips.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you need me to take the Zilla national team down some slides or something before a game to inspire them, let me know.
Speaker 2: I think you've lost your privilege of going down a slide.
Speaker 1: All right, man, Well, thank you for the time. Can't wait to see you back. Can't wait to see seven back on the mound. And today was another step in that direction, So keep the hair tight, keep the dreams alive. You know what it is.
Speaker 2: Wow, appreciate it, Doug