Speaker 1: Minnesota Goodbye starts right now. I want to make sure we're recording because I don't know that to have this. Okay, we are good, We're good to go. That's important. Let's jump into emails on the Minnesota Goodbye Dave, Jenny Bailey, vont Giver or take a couple of quick questions currently living rent free? In my head, what's a life skill that's maybe not radio related, that you've accidentally gotten good at just from doing radio? I would say interacting with people. I would say radio definitely taught me how to interact with people and to ask them questions like they go, what are you doing this weekend? Then you go, oh, I'm doing bub bah bah, what are you doing this weekend? It's taught me to be much more socially lubricated. So and it comes from just you know, working around people and talking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, I still feel new.
Speaker 3: So I don't know exactly how to answer that question, because I feel like a lot of what I'm learning is just how to do radio in the first place. So like, if I listen to a different radio show or a podcast, I will like critique it in my head based on what I've learned about radio as of now. Okay, but I mean I always thought that I'm a pretty decent like chatty person if I am forced to be so, like, it's not necessarily like help me with like talking to.
Speaker 2: People, because I've always kind of good at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah yah, yeah, so but I've learned things about radio, which is great.
Speaker 1: Okay, good. Next one, do you guys still throw signals at each other mid show or is YouTube live making that impossible? Now? Well, we do flip each other off once in a while just for fun or make you know, like gestures like wrap it up or speed it up, I mean, or I've got something, We'll raise my hand if I got something I want to interject. Yeah, but nothing like that. That would be like, whoa, what are they doing? They look like a baseball catchall?
Speaker 2: Umpire.
Speaker 1: What swear words are actually okay to say on the radio and which ones are still off limits? I know you're probably covered at all, but I wonder when you say stuff that feels like it walks the line like porn sex blunkin' lol, y'all haven't said that in a while. Hashtag bring back Blumkin. Anyway, let me know there was an old routine by a comedian named George Carlin, and it was the seven deadly words that you can't say on the radio, shit, piss, fuck, hunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. We can say pissed, like you pissed me off. Yeah, but I wouldn't say I get to go take a piss, because that's vulgar. We can say bitch like, oh, I'm and a bitch or you know, oh, you're being a bitch today. I don't really like that term because it is a little off pudding. And there was a song though, I'm a bitch, I'm a lover so good. We can say ass like you're you know, oh you got the biggest ass whatever that yeah thing.
Speaker 3: Any every time I say ass, though, I always think, oh crap, oh where's the dump button? And then it just squeaks out.
Speaker 1: Bailey and I were talking a little while ago, and this is something we wouldn't say on the radio, but because this is what we say on the air. We were talking about somebody who's very paranoid about coming off as gay, and I said, you know, there's nothing wrong with like, you know, being a little gay. I said, you know, I like to suck a dick once in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not gay. I just love sucking dick.
Speaker 1: And it was just funny. And so we would not say that on the radio, but we'll say that in the studio because we're you know, we're we're not working at you know, us bank. No, we work in a fun setting and we get to do things like that where we are right now. Same emailer says, let me enter my therapist's corner for a second. I'm a real licensed therapist, and a damn good one at that. I might add when Jannita Iconic Queen said she filled out that mental health screener at the hospital or the doctor, and she purposely gave the highest possible scores just to see if they would notice, and the nurses didn't even look. I nearly lost it. That is not a cute little oversight. That's a lawsuit. If they handed her those screeners, they're legally and ethically responsible for reading them. And if she scored anywhere near what she said and they didn't intervene, that's not just sketchy. That straight up negligence like mandated reporting. Ever heard of it? Anita, Please call the clinic. Let somebody know it's not normal, then call me because for the record, I'd never let that slide. Hashtag justice for jan Nita anyway, Sorry for the length, love y'all, Kaylee. The length of your email doesn't matter, just like the length of a movie doesn't matter, as long as it's good. So long or short, we take them all as long.
Speaker 2: As they're good.
Speaker 1: As long as they're good.
Speaker 2: If you send us a long email and it's shit, we don't want.
Speaker 1: Well. I mean sometimes we do get really long ones describing in details some sort of a situation that they would like advice on, and it's like it didn't really need to be that long, So okay, but don't worry about the length, Bailey, Yes, subject is red Wing. You're talking about going to red.
Speaker 2: Winging to red Wing on Sunday, you are, Yes.
Speaker 1: Indeed, somebody talked about how they took their kids there and there wasn't much to do. So this person says they have red Wing Brewery, winery, Scandinavian gift shop, trails to walk, ride bikes, and they have Kelly's with a giant bloody Mary on weekends and a cute little campground under the bridge. Give them a shot.
Speaker 2: That's from Naomi, you should forward less me, so I haven't.
Speaker 1: I'll do that right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have to make my itinerary. Both Jenny and I are the type that plan out everything. And yes, it is just a day trip. But I am not about to drive an hour and a half to red Wing and then not know what I'm doing when I get there. I understand, so I need to plan out everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, here's another trip, a day trip. It's a really cute story from Tamra. I heard you talking about day trips. Here's a random one I went on years ago. It's called Ed's Museum. It's even featured on Roadsideamerica dot com. A guy named Ed was somebody who lived in the small town of Wykoff, Minnesota, somewhat of a local character. When he died, he left the grocery store he owned and all the belongings to the city with the stipulation that it becomes a museum. It's such an interesting time capsule of a random man's life, as well as life from the thirties through the eighties.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 1: The museum is run by locals. It's interesting to talk to them. It's fun to see all these and items he collected. It's also about twenty or thirty minutes from Lanesboro and Harmony, which is home to Amish communities, a cave, and some cool antique stores.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 1: Will you look up why Cough Wykoff, Minnesota and see where it is? I don't know where. I've never heard of it.
Speaker 3: So I'm kin at the website that they've got, which literally looks like it was made in two thousand and five.
Speaker 2: Let's see why Cough.
Speaker 1: See how far away it is? What's it near?
Speaker 2: Super freaking small? Hold on, let me zoom out.
Speaker 1: Here, zooming out, zooming out.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's it's past Rochester, so it's further south through Rochester, but on that kind of way. Okay, gotcha, it's not really near. Yeah, it's near Lanesboro. That's probably the closest thing.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Lastly, as a conversation started with some random things from the Morning Show that stick in your memory. I will randomly think about Dave and Lina singing and you know, we are Christians, buy our hats, buy our hats. I don't remember what the context is, but the absurd of that phrases made it stick with me. After all these years have a great long weekend from Tamra. I love that you remember that we were out on the parking garage roof doing some sort of video and I started singing with Lena and Steve and I don't know where it came up. I really don't, but I was the one who and I'll take credit for this. One said, and you'll know we are Christians, buy our hats because the real versus by our love, yeah, but by our hats his like it's just fucking funny and absurd. And we would say that to crack each other up once in a while. And I remember that one too. I don't know a random one. Steve teaches your kids the meaning of the word no was always one of my favorites where kids would Steve would be like, oh, you want to win Taylor Swift tickets? Call me now, call me now, you want to win Taylor Swift tickets. And he would never say I'm going to give them to you. He just said, call if you want to win. Yeah, So kids would call when Taylor Swift was more of a thirteen fourteen year old artist appeal thank you bunt yes, and they'd be like, oh, you want to win Taylor's Swift tickets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god, you really want to go?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What's your name, Samantha? Do you really wouldn't it be so cool to see You're like, you want to sit in the front row?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well no, the answer is no, you're not gonna get to go. You got to learn to The answer is no, I'm teaching you the You never heard the word no before, have you, Samantha? Well it was funny but also mean and cool. And then eventually we did it once and the little Samantha's mom or whoever it was, called the president of the company and complained and we were ordered number one to give that kid Taylor Swift tickets and never do it again.
Speaker 3: It okay, I mean, yeah, it's a bummer that the kids feelings were hurt, but the parents knew what they were calling in for. It's a bit called Steve teaches your kids the meaning of the word no.
Speaker 2: And then the kid ended up getting what they wanted. Spoiled, rotten geez.
Speaker 1: You get a good point, Bailey, You got a good point. Anything in your history of the show. I mean, you've listened for your almost entire life.
Speaker 2: It's so weird because it's like, yeah, I've listen my whole life.
Speaker 3: But also like if you listed off things, I would be like, oh, I remember that, Oh I remember that. But if I had to like think back on something specific, I wouldn't be able to remember anything because it was all just like it was her every day. So it's the fabric of my life. I just remember really liking Lena back in the day. That's pretty much what I recall. But I have listened since I was five.
Speaker 1: Lena was awesome. She was just a good, humble human being. And a lot of people on the radio are I'm going to tell you a quick story without much detail. I know that in the music business there are people that are huge, like you know, name somebody who's huge in the Taylor Swift, okay, somebody else, Miley Cyrus huge and Selena Gomez huge. Then there are people that you haven't heard of yet. They're very new, but they've already got the giant ego. And you look at somebody like, you know, Miley Cyrus and maybe she's got an ego, but she's you know, done very well. Yeah, and maybe it's justified, but maybe she's very humble. You look at somebody like, oh, I don't no name some Charlie Pooth, huge, very humble, kind person, but some people in Lena was very big on the radio, but very humble. She was the same humble person that she was when she worked at a bank.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was just like a banker at heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah. All I really honestly remember, not just necessarily Lena, but like, the things that stand out to me that I remember and recall really well are things that made me uncomfortable that I didn't like listening to. Like I never like listening to prank calls because they made me uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't like this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for the people you were pranking sometimes wore the roses. I would be like, I can't listen to this because again it feels like a prank call. So yeah, those are the things that really stood out to me. I'm like, I don't like this one.
Speaker 1: Or not for everybody? All right, let's uh we got ranger Jessica yay, and she has a nature fun fact here, and I'm going to try to play it and set my board up so it will play these buttons. Hold on, I gotta close that out that says goodbye, And now I'm struggling a little bit and here we go. If I push this and this, now we'll be able to hear Ranger Jessica with her fun fact. Are you ready? Yes, okay, I don't know that I am. All right, hold.
Speaker 2: On, you're doing great, Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, here it comes.
Speaker 4: Hello. This is Ranger Jessica. Sorry, I have been out of town, so I'm a little behind, but I want to talk to you about the difference between poisonous and venomous animals. Dave asked, are there any poisonous snakes in Minnesota? And the answer is no, there are no poisonous snakes. Poison refers to an animal that if you ingest, it will kill you, so like a poison dart frog, if you eat that, you will die. Venomous refers to animals that inject poison into you, or inject venom into you, and that's what kills you or makes you sick. All venomous and poisonous animals don't necessarily kill you, but they can make you pretty sick. So that is a difference between poisonous and venomous. The only venomous snakes in Minnesota are the timber rattlesnake and the Massasaga, and they are in southern Minnesota. They are both not very common, so if you are in southern Minnesota, keep an eye out, But anywhere else in Minnesota don't really have to worry. There are gopher snakes and bowl snakes all over Minnesota though, that can get up to about eight feet long. So I'll see you one of those. Oh my gosh, don't be confused. It's probably not a rattlesnake. If you look at its head, it's probably very smooth and oval shaped. Venomus steaks have more triangle shaped heads because of the venom sacks sitting in their mouths, so that's a quick tip. Otherwise, just give snakes some space. They're just trying to live their lives, and I think they're pretty cute. Anyways, Rain Roat, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Ranger Jessica. We appreciate you. Let's move on to our nick email as I fumble around, fumble, fumble.
Speaker 2: Fumble, and venom is fascinating. I didn't know that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a little I'm still a little bit confused, Ranger Jessica. So there are no poisonous snakes, but there are venomnus snakes.
Speaker 2: But the poisonous ones. You have to eat it in order to be poisoned.
Speaker 1: Is that what you said?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so like if you ate a poisonous snake, oh, I see, you would die, But if.
Speaker 2: A venomous snake bit you, then you would die.
Speaker 1: It's a bite not good news. No, no, there, I'll tell you a quick story. So, when I was a boy scout, you know, the legend is when your friend gets bit by a rattlesnake, what do you have to do? Suck out them, suck the poison out. Yeah, they say that's a very bad idea. But I actually had it when I was a boy scout, a snake bite treatment kit, and it came with a razor blade. Because the deal is that you got two fang marks. You're supposed to make an X on each fang mark and then suck the poison out. They say, no, they say, and it even came with a little suction cup to suck the poison out so you didn't have to do it with your mouth. Thank god, I never had to use it. But they say that's bad, that it's old fashioned, that it's like you're gonna do more damage and making razor blade cuts in your friend's leg. Wow, than you are. Get them to the hospital. Call nine one one. Yeah, have them not move a lot, because the more they move, the more the blood flows and Rattlesnake bites are not always fatal.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I didn't know that, all right?
Speaker 1: Next one, goodness, you guys sure know how to make a kid's day. Wednesday, we're driving from New Olm, where we lived, to the Zoo for my twins' birthday five years old. Five years ago to this day seems so far away. I sent in a text and they heard their names on the radio. My girl twin whipped her head around and they were both smiling ear to ear. Then on the Minnesota Goodbye, you guys mentioned new home again and our Herman the German. I thought my boy twin was sleeping, because let's be real, I don't let them listen to Minnesota Goodbye. And I heard a mama. Did they say Herman the German? Which is a giant statue down there were the ones that climbed it a couple of weeks ago. Love how much our sweet little town gets mentioned. And you guys are simply the best. The birthday wishes are always a hit in our house. I love it. I love when kids and mom listened to the radio together. It's one of my favorite things. Yeah, like you used to listen with Mama.
Speaker 3: Ronda, I did, and she used to text in birthday shout outs for me. So I'd be getting ready for school and y'all would say Happy birthday, Bailey. Until like I got hired here, she would text in shout out to Bailey on her birthday, and you guys would always.
Speaker 1: Say, always do it. Yeah, I always do it. Next one love your show. Listened since middle school in two thousand and six. Been wondering for a while. It seems like y'all get along really well, both on air and in regular life. But I assume there must be tense moments here and there, like any group of co workers have. There been times with this career of previous morning show lineups where you've gone off air for a commercial and someone just lost their shit. I've always wondered how radio show crews get along off the air. Maybe days know stories of other radio shows off air. Shenanigan's Fist Fights, reality TV worthy drama. Thanks in advance for the tea that is from Cayenne. Honestly, I think that I'm pretty easy to get along with, but I know that there are some people that, whether they were on the radio or whether they're you know, workover at you know, your local doctor's office, they're just not easy to get along with. But I don't call drama, and therefore I discourage drama. I never try to be like a diva. I'm never like this is going to be about me. I'm never like hyper critical. I try to help because I've been doing this for a long time and I always try to help people. And I did get on Vont, but it wasn't like we were mad like personally. I got on Vont because there was something that he was supposed to do and he tried to do it a couple of times and he didn't do it, and so he gave up, which is a rookie mistake. Vaun's young, and I'm like, you didn't do it? Are you kidding? And I'm like, go in there and do it right now. And Vont tried to make an excuse like, well, blah blah blah bah did but you might have been standing there.
Speaker 2: Yeah it was really awkward.
Speaker 1: Was it really awkward? Yeah? Yeah? And I said, don't give me an excuse, go in there and do it right now, because corporate was saying do this, and I thought he had done it two months ago, and so he, to his credit, he went in there and he got it done, and I just I give him full pass on it because he's still knew in the business, and it's like, no. My thing is always like, if I ask you to do something and we agree to do it, that means now and us. If you can't do it right now, then tell me I can't do it now. I got to go record this, or I got a meeting or whatever. So my expectation if I say, Bailey, hey, will you, you know, go fold T shirts and blow up balloons?
Speaker 2: That sounds fun, My expectation is to.
Speaker 1: Do it now. I don't like being the boss. I never got into radio to be a boss, but you know, I know what I want done for the show. And then if Bailey says I can't do it right now because I've got to ABC, I'll be like, Okay, well, you know, do it as soon as you can. But I don't like to be like Bailey, you get in there right now and blow up with balloons.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: But there are some people that I mean, I've worked with somebody. I've worked with several people who were very difficult and maybe you can guess who they were. Bailey probably knows, but I'm not going to ever say. But they were very difficult. They were just very ego driven and very disrespect full. And I don't sit here and expect anybody to kiss my ass. But you know, I've been doing this for a long time and I just want to be treated like a decent human. And there's some people who I remember. There was somebody like on their first day, I said, yeah, you really can't do it that way, and this person, Ugh, they put their headphones on and turned them up so they wouldn't have to listen to me. And that was the beginning of a very difficult run with this person. Do you know who it is?
Speaker 2: I don't, maybe, but I feel like I can't get it.
Speaker 1: I'll write it down.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, Bay, that's my name. Oh that's what I thought you were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it doesn't really come as a surprise to a lot of people, but you know what, people are just different. And I've told Carson because he dealt with some difficult people on his tour business to his tour career, I can imagine. Yeah, there are divas, and there are people who are late and people who need to have their handheld. And I said, Carson, let me tell you you will and I will tell you this too. And you know this, if you've been around a while, you will meet all kinds of people during career. You'll meet people who are easy to get along with and it's just fun to have around. Like extreme Jamie, just like the most fun guy, never caused any trouble. He was always like, what can I do to help you out? And he was when he came in. He really added joy to the room. He really did. He's just a great guy. And then you'll meet people who are very difficult and when you ask him to do something, they'll tell you six reasons why it's a dumb idea.
Speaker 2: So that's the tea.
Speaker 1: That's the tea. I can't really say more than that. But a lot of radio crews they don't get along at all. As matter of fact, I've known some really big radio crews. They fucking hate each other. I knew one was a big show in Chicago. Two guys they were hugely successful. They hated each other so badly they couldn't be in the same studio.
Speaker 2: Can and Teller.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to say, because I don't know for a fact, and I don't want to bad mouth these guys. Yeah, but they could not get along, but they were very successful together. They had to sit in a different studio. There was a window between the two of them. They put a curtain up so they wouldn't have to look at each other.
Speaker 2: What the cheese? Yeah, that seems that seems like, come on, guys, just get over you know. And the flowers.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing. Whenever I've had tension with anybody, like if like Fallon or I were bickering, or Steve and I were bickering, the minute that microphone goes on, you turn that shit off and you're happy, happy, professional professional.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how strange. Gosh, I don't want to look at you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's see. Okay, this is an interesting one. Bailey. During Dave's Dirt, you mentioned a book that's being turned into a movie with Wreath with Boon.
Speaker 2: What is it? It's it's with Jennifer Aniston is playing the mother.
Speaker 3: The book is I'm Glad my Mom Died by Jeanette McCurdy, it is a very good book.
Speaker 2: I love Death when I read it.
Speaker 1: Thank you Tanya for that one. Next one, here we go with day trips. Bailey, m hmm. I'd say Rochester is an excellent day trip. I'm a great breweries Forager, little Thistle Lts and Barrel Theory, all great out patios, and they go on and on to say about how there's like you know, music and and uh and very cool. I'll forward this to you, Bailey. And there's hiking and Lanesboro has great biking and tubing and it's very cool. So enjoy your weekend, all right, Thank you, Donna. Hey, that was a fun one. See what happens when you send a lot of emails. We have a really fun Minnesota Goodbye. I love doing the Minnesota Goodbye. Send your emails to Ryan Show at KATWB dot com. Have a great weekend.