Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: On Saturday evening, we have you covered with our game day coverage. Our pregame show will start at six point thirty presented by Pillow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. Kickoff between the Cards and Clemson will be at seven thirty, So as soon as that ends, it'll be a late night, but we'll be here for it. Reacting to whatever it is that happens on the Louisville Football postgame Show, presented by alex Arwhite, Lawyer's Suite Distractedge driver dot Com. I mean it when I say it, I don't have much of a few for this, like I don't. It's not like I'm looking forward to Saturday because I'm telling you that I have the ultimate belief that Louisville will win. I think they can. But two things here that have that have kind of kept me from having, you know, confidence, And I have confidence in this team in you know, their ability, but I've learned that there's a difference in being confident in your team to show that they're a pretty good team and play well at times. That's a different level of confidence compared to the confidence that they're going to win good games against good teams because they've yet to do that. So knowing they've yet to do that this year, that's one of the things that just has me. You know, I'm optimistic, but you know, I'm not gonna tell you I expect it. But also they've never done it before. Now, good conversation we just had there with David Hale of ESPN, and you know, Clemson they deserve to be favored. The only loss on their schedule is to a really good Georgia team. And again, that game was closer than you I have realized. I'm not one of those that says, well, it's closer than it looked. Well, no, it looked like thirty four to three. That was the score. That's what happened. But it wasn't as if they just got drummed for four quarters. They were competitive until late third quarter, I believe. So that doesn't mean that they're not really good. Maybe Dabo's got a team that's gonna run through the rest of their schedule and win the national championship. I mean, I don't expect that but Clemson playing teams that aren't very good since they've played Georgia doesn't mean they're not really good, but it does mean that you know, we're gonna find out right, there's a lot of unknown here. I mean, strength of schedule is such a wasted time because what people and I'm guilty of this too, like strength of schedule doesn't all mean it's a reference point as far as like how battle tested you are. It's an opportunity for somebody to look at some numbers and try to determine how impressed they are or unimpressed they are with your record, But it doesn't Playing a team that sucks doesn't mean that you suck. Playing a bunch of teams that are really good in losing doesn't mean you're good too, even if they're close, so you know you That's that's why when we talked about Indiana yesterday, they could lose to Ohio State and then lose to Oregon in the Big Team Championship, and that wouldn't mean that they aren't really good. It would mean that they lost to two teams that are just better than them, or maybe we're just better than them that night, and ultimately that's all that matters. But you know that the noise nationally about Indiana, not by everybody, but a lot of people would be ah, they just they just lucked out. It was their schedule, and like, well, we're never going to get away from that. So like I just need to, I guess, learn how to process the schedule conversation. And you know, here I am looking at Clemson schedule thinking, well, that means they're they're more beatable, and it really doesn't. We don't know what it means. We'll find out on Saturday. Because the ESPN FPI or one of the ESPN metrics, I don't know which one it is. They've got a couple of them. You heard David Hill mention it that Louisville's nineteenth in the country. And again that's because they're not factoring in winning and losing as much as they should. All these all these formulas, These analytic guys, they're good at what they do. And again I value analytics. I mean I rely on those when I make wagers. Maybe that's why I suck at betting, But like I think there's value there and it's only going to be a bigger thing moving forward. Like a lot of coaches now that are getting hired, that are that are you know, viewed to be in that tier of the next great coaches in college football college basketball. Most of them are are very much analytically driven. So it's not going anywhere. It's just somehow they got a factor in winning and losing mattering more than it does currently. So you know, part of me looks at Clemson and says, let's go beat them. They're not that good. But like there's no way to know that for sure. All right, it's coffee and company. That's what I do know for sure, and I know we are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee. That's me the company man, mister John all on alongside as we take you up till six o'clock. Appreciate you hanging out, don't forget take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com if you want to join us on the show. Phone lines are open. Five oh two, five seven one seventy nine hundred is the number. You can also text in on the Ellen and Federal Credit Union text line five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety members get more at ellenin Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your accounts today at LNFCU dot com. All right, so this is a text that came in a little bit earlier. It's a good point, says Nick. Correct me if I'm wrong, But can't you of l really help change the perception of the ACC. Not to say that it would be a big difference, but losing to a really bad Kentucky team at the end of the year would only help support the I think you meant to say narrative you might be doing talk to text, but would only help support the something you said that the ACC sucks. That's a great point. I mean last year, Louisville didn't do their part. I mean, Kentucky limped in to that game and had very little to no confidence. Now, there's always going to be some type of like, if you're a diehard Louisville fan or a diehard Kentucky fan, you can do the hull all we're terrible, I'm not even gonna watch the game. And a lot of people have done that on the Louisville side in basketball recently and Kentucky fans didn't really do that as much on football last year because again they had they didn't feel good about the game, but they had a winning streat going in. But I think there's always like a little juice, a little fuel, if you will, in the tank when it comes to your rivalry tank. If that's the thing, I'm making it up because you just programmed to like never be totally defeated when it's your rival because you just have a tough time completely accepting it. Maybe I'm making that up, but you know, like I think you know when it comes to that matchup this year, Like again, we don't need to talk about it right now, but like, yeah, I mean, I don't give a damn about the ACC the perception of the ACC when it comes to what happens in that game. But to your point, you are correct. That could be another data point for those that claim, look, you can go six and two in the ACC, but you still aren't as good as a three and five or a two and six team in the SEC. That's the mindset of a lot of SEC hanks. And if Louisville finishes let's say eight and four, and Kentucky is you know, needing in fact, Kentucky, I mean, what are they three? And are they three and five? Are they four and four? Kentucky's three and five, right, They've got two wins against yeah, three and five bums, and then they beat Ole Miss, so they're three and five. So look, they need to win two out of three against Tennessee, Louisville and Texas, which means that Stoops's streak of going to a bowl game is likely over. I mean, and that's even like let's just say you beat Louisville, You're not beating Tennessee at Tennessee and Texas at Texas. So their seasons kind of shot. Like are they talking football anymore? I mean, I mean I haven't had a chance to listen to much KSR this week. I haven't. I mean, they've completely shifted to basketball in a way they really haven't in a long time because Mark Stoops has had this bad of a year. But anyways, back to the game later this year. We'll clearly we'll get to that. We'll get to it when we get to it. We got a ways to go. But yes, if Kentucky ends up only having I mean, look that they might go one in seven in the SEC, right, because all the swing games they've already lost games they just expected to, you know, going into the season games they just said, look, if we're gonna be even decent, we got to beat these teams. They got beat like South Carolina and in Vandy, the teams that like, yeah, you beat them, right, you know you're supposed to win and then swing games, but you felt like you should win because you think you're better. Auburn and Florida lost both of them, so you know, they played Georgia close, but they lost. And then of course they beat All miss which is gonna end up being a real outlier for them this year. So yeah, if they end up one in seven in the SEC and Louisville ends up being I don't know, let's say they're six and two, five and three even in the ACC. I mean again, that would be again, I don't think about conference perception when these two teams play, because it's a rivalry game. It's really just about bragging rights and the fans, and more often than not, this win has very little value or it doesn't really hurt you a whole lot because at that point, usually since the game's been moved to the end, of the season. Both teams have typically been done with their season at that point, meaning like you know where you know, it's the last game of the year, you've already fit conference play, you kind of know where you are when it comes to bowl standing. Last year it worked out well because Louisville losing in Kentucky did not have anything to do with them being in the bowl game they were in. I mean, Kentucky fans can act like it did, but it didn't. I mean, Florida State getting left out of the playoff is what led to Louisville getting screwed, them beating If they would have beat Kentucky held on and not blown that game and then still lost to Florida State in the a SEC Championship game, nothing would have changed for Louisville. But the real kicker was that you were ten and one going into the game and you lost. So like again, it didn't know, you know, as far as perception of you as a program, I guess if you'd win eleven and one in the regular season and your only lost been pit maybe people would have viewed you a little bit better. But still, you made the AEC Championship game and you lost, so again. We'll get there when we get there, and I mean, I'll just tell you this, I'm scared, John, because I think this may set up in even a worse way than last year as far as like damn, you better not lose, because that was the mindset last year, right like, hey, you're really good this year. They hate their team, they're underdogs. They don't, you know, they don't you know, they didn't have any competence. They can show Bett's slips and all that, but like, you weren't. We I literally open up the phones one day just to get people talking about this matchup as we were getting closer, because it always takes place right before right after Thanksgiving, so I think it was the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving we did. We just did a full show of me taking calls and a lot of a lot of the Tucky fans that called in. I mean they would dog Louisville and talk about how the ACC sucks and their record is fraudulent. But they wouldn't say they're competent in their team because they weren't. They hated their team. They didn't. I mean they were I mean, they were pretty again, That's what happened with Kentucky this year. In my opinion, their win against Louisville last year and them going out and retaining some good players and getting some decent names in the portal, it kind of made them forget that they were heading in a in the wrong direction pretty fast last season. But the Louisville win definitely made it feel better and it matters. And then they started this season and they've kind of continued a rather consistent free fall. For being honest, this is the first year where Mark Stoops has had a really bad is having a really bad year, and there's really no excuse for it. Like early on in his tenure they weren't good, but it was because he was still putting it together, right, He's got to get his guys in dealing with the joker Phillips left or is that kind of stuff? And then sometimes they've had years where their record wasn't great and they didn't beat anybody good, but they could at least say, well, hey, what are you gonna do? We're in the SEC. Well, now, like you know, you're likely going to be one in seven in league player, I can't see a scenario where you I mean again and you have played a tougher schedule, but Stoops has been good enough to where now you can look and say, look, we've taken a big step back because we actually have good players this year. Now. Is their quarterback good enough? I don't know, but I don't think he's the reason that you're one in five in SEC play right now.
Speaker 3: If Louisville can't find a way to win this game, cancel the series. I mean cancel the series. It would I think there'd be more question marks than last year, because.
Speaker 2: Well it wouldn't be I mean you mean question marks about like.
Speaker 3: How why can't Brom could get it done?
Speaker 2: That's well, yes, and no. To defend Brom the streak, he's only me. He's not a part of the streak. He's lost one game. If he loses too, and they're one in seven in SEC play in limping in, then yeah, that would be a terrible look for him to lose to them whenever you had good teams, because again, maybe Louisville, maybe Louisville needs to beat him to go to a bowl. I hope that's not the case, but really we really never know. I mean, the jury is still very much out on Louisll. If we're being honest. But yeah, to your point, if in fact, like it's set up better than it really had in a long time, in back to back years for you and you still can't beat him, I mean, yeah, that would be the ultimate gun punch, Like it would be worse than last year. It would like last year, again it sucked, but Louisville had such a good year. And again, other than bragging rights and having to hear from Kentucky fans all the big Blue bozos, there really wasn't a whole lot lost there because again it did not change anything about what you were able to accomplish in your season, because I mean, had had Florida State been selected to the playoff, Louisville would have still ended up being in that New Year six Bowl. They would have taken on Georgia and gotten murdered. But you know, the Kentucky loss would have just been for bragging rights.
Speaker 3: But if the twelve team playoff would have been last year, that would have effectively eliminated law Pot, no.
Speaker 2: Doubt, no doubt about it. So I mean, again I keep saying, we'll get there when we get there, but as of now, like if Louisville finishes strong, and let's say they knock off clem Let's I mean, let's just say they beat they lose to Clemson close, but then they end up beating SMU pretty bad. I'm not saying they'd end up beating Stanford pretty bad. And then they beat Pitt. Let's say Pitt's unbeat at that time, then they're gonna have momentum. They're gonna be potentially looking at finishing the season nine and three at that point, or I guess they would be potentially Yeah, yeah, no, eight and I eight and four be your ceiling and look one. You know, it's just one game difference between being nine and three, ten and two, three and nine, four and eight. But for some reason, the biggest gap as far as perception in my opinion and feeling that you get from your season concluding. I don't know why, but I feel like seven and five and eight and four are a billion miles apart. That makes sense, Like I don't know why I look at it that way, but I do. So if you've got a chance to potentially either finish seven and five with the lost to Kentucky or go eight and four, I mean, I mean, obviously you want to beat I mean, regardless which your record is, you want to beat your rival. But man, I thought last year was the one. Was was a unique scenario that would never play out again, and it could play out for the second straight year. But even worse because they're gonna beat down in a way they haven't been down really ever. And by the way, speaking of Kentucky real quick, before we get to our first break, I actually think in a weird way, this is a huge weekend for Marx toooms in Kentucky because this is one of the few games in recent years where the only talk about this matchup from both sides rather maybe the Tennessee side of the Kentucky side, or just nationally objective voices, and that is that Kentucky's gonna get steamrolled. Tennessee's got momentum. They knocked off Alabama. They're gonna be wearing their black uniforms. It's gonna be a packed stadium. Kentucky calls it a rival. Tennessee doesn't view you as a rival. You can keep calling it a rivalry, but like they I mean, look, I know you could say, well wha bell, Louis, y'all never beat us. Ain't a rivalry. Fair enough, you still view us as a rivalry, and you make that clear every single day of your life. Your behavior, your existence really as far as how you handle yourself, proves it's a rivalry. It is, it always will be. But like, can you know Tennessee doesn't view you as a rival because they they've never been really threatened or challenged by you. And I know Louisville hasn't challenged Kentucky and football, and I mean they've challenged me. You know, the streak is what it is. I mean basketball, yeah, Louisville. I mean Louisville has won I mean what a couple of games in the last six games they've played, which again isn't great, but like Louisville's beaten Kentucky and you know in the last decade, probably more, and I mean I don't know, decades, a long way. Nonetheless, my point is like this is the least confidence I think Kentucky fans have ever had about a game under the Mark Stoops era since he you know, turned it around. And usually whenever there's like no hope and it looks as if, like, you know, you're just tuning in to see how bad you get killed. I feel like more often than not, that's when Stoops teams play pretty well. I mean, isn't that what was said about Georgia. They near they should have won that game. You could say the same thing about Louisville last year, maybe not that you were you know, it wasn't as if you were expecting Georgia to show up and beat Kentucky at ellen n Cardinals Staten and they'd be weird anyway if that happened. But my point is, like I'm not comparing Louisville in Georgia, but when the morale is as low as it seems it can be for Kentucky, Mark Stew's teams usually come out and surprise people and sometimes when or they just compete more so than anybody would have expected. So I kind of feel like if they get blitzed from start to finish, like I guess it'll be the same thing they've done in recent weeks, but like that'll be the sign that they're kind of done. And I don't like to read body language, and you know, I'm not a Kentucky fan, so I'm not following as closely as some others, but I know it's been said at least once from Matt rather be on his show or the postgame show from the loss to uh actually I think Ryan Diot the post game show the other night. But nonetheless, what I'm getting at is like Stoops is now to the point where like they're kind of the bottom's falling out. I hate saying guys are quitting, but I understand why some fans are saying, yeah, they quit because you know, you end up getting beat by four touchdowns to Florida. You ended up losing after being up ten to nothing by two scores to Auburn in a game that honestly should have been worse as far as the score. They left points on the field at the end of the half. So they're kind of free falling right now. And if they come out and they compete against Tennessee and still lose, I mean, they're still looking at a season that's going to be way worse than they would have expected. But like if they're looking to potentially hold on to, you know, a Murray win and then beating Louisville, I mean, it's going to depend on if they're alive here in Knoxville. What I mean by that is if they just get steamrolled from start to finish. It'd be hard to not envision a scenario where they roll into that game at the end of the season and it might take one play from Louisville to kind of bury him, because again, at that point, you know you're done, and they've already shown that at this point in the season, like that game. The last two games have just gotten away from him pretty quickly. And that's what happens when you have the repetition of just kind of falling apart. It becomes a consistent pattern. All right, quick break will come back on the other side, keep it rolling along. Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. You know, sometimes it's not fun being right. I knew that the Anthony Richardson situation would be a disaster, and it's it's been exactly that. I mean, things are going great in Indianapolis. Head coach Shane Steiken has no idea if his team supports benching Anthony Richardson or not, which not really a good good spot for you. Might I mean, what would you what do you like? If you say, yeah, everybody supports it, he sucks, then you know that's probably the truth. But you know it's not real. It's not really what you what you would be able to say. But you know he can't even I mean, he can't even answer if he'll ever if he thinks he'll ever start again. I mean he was asked in this audio maybe kind of. I think this is somebody at the press conference that is doing it on a phone. See may be able to hear, but the audio quality probably isn't going to be very good. But here's Shane Stikeen on Anthony Richardson do you.
Speaker 3: Think Anthony will start for this franchise again? I can't predict that, but I'm not losing the faith in.
Speaker 1: That, and I promise to that.
Speaker 3: Is that the plan? I can't predict the future, but maybe that would be great.
Speaker 2: I mean again, I'm trying to think of what he could have said to where it wouldn't have been on the radar for anybody to kind of pick apart. But that was a good question to say, like, is that the plan? Well then he said I can't predict the future, Well you should know what the plan is. I mean, rarely during the season are you asked, like, hey, you just benged a guy. Is your plan to still have him? Be your franchise quarterback next year, Like that's tough to I mean, it's just I don't really blame Shane Steiken for how he answered it, because I think he's just, you know, handling it the best you can. But the overall situation just sucks. And if there is somebody out there willing to trade for him, like do it now. And again, it's not to say that like it's impossible for him to ever be good, but you'd have to wait a long long time. And again, nobody seems to be mentioning this. If Ar fifteen, if they call him ends up ever being a good quarterback in the NFL, it'll be the first time he's ever been a good quarterback ever in his life. Which, last I check, guys rarely ever become good in the NFL. They're usually really good before they get there, and then it's a real test to see if you can be good at that level. Not being good in high school or in college at that position and then being good in the NFL is really not possible, to be honest with you, But anyways, I know you guys don't give a damn about the Colts, but you know, maybe you enjoy me being miser Maybe you're a sicko like that, I hope now, but wouldn't shock me. It's a lot of crazy people out there.
Speaker 3: John, Hey, I'm going up to the Bills Colts game in a couple of weeks and ring for the Bills.
Speaker 2: I would imagine the Bills are going to take care of business, and I hope they do because at this point, let's start all over. Let's get back to I mean, in fact, let's just keep playing Richardson so it can be proven that he's that he's a bum, and you'll lose. You're more likely to lose if he's your quarterback than Flockoh, and then you can draft another quarterback in this draft and get a good get a good pick. That's what you should do. But we'll see, all right. Coffee and Company, fiel Beth Thorton's that's us. That's the name of the program, and we appreciate you sticking around and hanging out with us. Maybe you just joined us, if so, better late than never, but hang out. We're here till six o'clock. I was going to say five o'clock, but no, it's six o'clock. So we got about an hour and a half left, and uh, I want to get at the text line in just a moment. But we've talked a lot about analytics and whatnot, numbers, formula, all that kind of stuff, because look, it does matter, and I do think they're valuable. But as I've said for years now, whoever's putting these numbers together and creating the said formula, it just doesn't really seem as if winning and losing is factored in as much as it should. But one of the up and coming college basketball analytic guys is it would it be analytical guys or analytics guys? I don't know the right way to toward it. Yeah, I mean I could just I could say Nerd. That would be me Poindexter, who just you know, is in their crunching numbers and using his calculator to determine who's good or not. And I say that because I'm jealous. I wouldn't have I don't have the the I don't have the brain for any of that kind of stuff. I was really bad at math. But Evan Maya, Evan m I y A. Is it me or Maya? I'm not sure, but he's he's been around for a few years and it seems as if his brand is growing as somebody who does. I mean what, by the way, these some of these guys who have their own websites where they share their formula, their their projections of games based off theirs their formula. You know, it's one thing to charge notin ninety nine a month or notin ninety nine a year, like ken Pom does. But there's also some advanced metrics that they sell to coaches, like and I'm sure coaches pay a lot of money for them. Like programs use all variety, and by the way, I would, again what do I know, but I would stick with one. And like if you're if you're a Evan Maya guy or a Bart Torvik guy, I would still or or ken Pom like I would maybe reference all of them. But like, if you're basing what you do off of formula, you need to stick with one, right because if you're mixing in them all, like you're gonna get all kinds of different results and there's no point following any of the formulas. But anyways, Evan Maya, he put together a list here of teams with the most elite shooters. This player must be ninetieth percentile or better and projected three points field goal percentage. This does not include freshmen, So there are two teams with four elite shooters. Alabama with Latrell Wright, Cell Houston Mallet, Chris young Blood and Mark Sears. Baylor with Jayden Nunn, Jeremy Roach, Jalen Celisteine, and Langston Love. I don't know many of those names, but if they're playing for Bama and Baylor and they came into the portal, I would imagine they're pretty good, because both those teams are top ten. But then there are a bunch of teams that have three Louisville's one of them, Noah Waterman, Rain Smith and Terrence Edwards. Kentucky not on here, which surprises me because they clearly have I mean, they've got and I think Kentucky and Louisville both have a lot of guys who you would say, okay, when you're thinking of things they do well. Three point shooting is one of them. But you know, as Kentucky saw at the beginning of the game last night, like they got guys who are probably more so streaky shooters, and I think you could say the same thing for Louisville. I think the one guy for Louisville that you feel like, you know, if he can get ten looks a game that are good looks for him, you do it every time because he's likely going to make four more on most nights. And that's that's if you're shooting forty percent from three as an individual, that's that's good. That's really good. So watching Kentucky in the first half last night, you could see, you know, they were getting some good looks. But then again, they also had some guys I feel like that were just you know, heat check in a little bit. But that's the way they're going to play. And I think we're going to learn, and we may have already learned it just by watching the exhibitions. It's tough to know, because I think you did see some things with both teams when it comes to exhibition play that are probably just something you're going to see in these exhibition games, right, I think rotation for both coaches, that kind of stuff. But we are going to And I don't remember specifically how Tuby Smith's teams played. I know they played pretty slow, a lot different than Rick Patino, but I don't remember if we've ever had a an era within the rivalry where both teams play a unique style and it's very similar to one another. I mean, I don't want to say they're exactly the same, but they're pretty similar. Spacing and green light is always is always there if you can get a good look. All right, So let's go to the text line five O two six five three zero seven ninety again five O two sixty five three zero seven ninety the ln N Federal Credit Union text line. This text says, Nick, of all the guys who transferred last year that played for Kenny Payne, which of the which of them? Sorry, which of them do you feel like is going to have the best season? Tough to say, And I've got I've got a little bit of a hot take here, and maybe this will trigger some people or maybe, you know, maybe it'll make sense to you. I think a good chunk of the dudes who played at Louisville last year for the eight win team that you know, was the second worst team we've ever had coming off of a season before when we were the worst team in Louisville history. I happen to think that some of those guys are gonna be pretty good and probably play for pretty good teams. And I don't bring that up to say, like it's gonna look even worse for Kenny when the guys he had on his team ended up being really good elsewhere. I mean, that will be a bad look for him. But it was always very, very evident that Kenny pains were results on the floor in both years had nothing to do with talent. Now, he didn't have the talent to go win a final four, go to a final four, but like that was the one, you know, that was one of them. Get a little PTSD here, because that was one of the things that like, I couldn't converse with people who claimed that you had a four and twenty eighteen because you didn't have any good players. Like, no, I mean, it's insane, insane, But I think Brandon Huntley Hatfield is going to be one of the best big men in the ACC for Kevin Keats at NC State, And to be fair, he was, Honestly, he was one of the best big men in the ACC last year in you know, a big stretch of ACC play. It just didn't matter because Louisville was so bad. I mean, he was good. He really started to show why he was a five star recruit, and he had every tool that you need to be a good big. He had good shooting, touch, good hands. I mean when he got his motor running, which that's what really changed for him, is he started playing harder and really just again the motor was running, and he was a good player. So I think he will have a good year, and I think NC State's got a chance to be pretty good. I think Trey White is going to end up being pretty good at Illinois. I think he will be challenged consistently by who's their head coach, Brad Underwood.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, and he's a hard ass. And by the way, I do't know if you guys saw he kind of he had a press conference clip that made its rounds all over the college basketball world via the internet, because I mean, he said a middle school team could score on these guys because they're so bad defensively right now. And as soon as he said that, you know, I thought of Trey White, because I don't know, Trey White's a bad defender, no clue. If he's unable to defend. What I can tell you is he has no interest in defending. That's what I'll tell you. He made no mistake about it. Guys out there wanting you to know. He does not want to play defense. But if there's a coach that could get him to kind of buckle down and play deep, maybe it's Brad Underwood, and he has talent. Trey White had ability. Now, he wasn't great at anything, but he also was pretty good at a lot of stuff. I think Scott Clark will do well with Mick Cronin at UCLA. He won't be their best player, but he'll be a valuable piece to their team and they might be pretty good. I could see Curtis Williams junior at Georgetown. They may stink, but I could see him being one of their best players. Tyler Johnson not as confident because he's playing behind some other really good guards, but like, wouldn't be shocked if you're watching ACC Action this year and you're thinking, damn, I was pretty good. Mike James is the ultimate unknown for me, because I actually think he really you know his numbers at times, I think we're a product of how bad Louisville was, But he's a fine player. You know. Guys like Caleb Glenn, I'm not sure. Dennis Evans no clue how good he'll be in the other guys who ended up, you know, like JJ DePaul, no clue how good he's going to be. I'm not saying these guys won't be good, but I'm not as confident that they're going to have years where you think like wow, that can He did have some good players. So again, I don't bring that. I meant you brought it up by texting in asking the question. But I'm not trying to say Louisville should have kept some of those guys, because again, you needed you needed an absolute clean break, and you got exactly that. Now, keeping one or two of those guys around wouldn't have been the end of the world, but I think it made sense to just really move on for everybody involved. Like if these guys end up having really good seasons and their teams are good, it's not going to be like, oh wow, Pat Kelsey should have called those guys, because if you were around when it was bad like it, you know it needed to be it needed to play out the way that it played out. In my opinion, all let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital. Keep them in mind when it comes to keeping your pets healthy, keeping them safe. You know, pets are a part of your family. And I'm sure when it comes to your children or just yourself, you've got regular checkups with your doctor. Well your pets need that too. And if you don't have a veter araan to take them to, you know, you don't have a regular spot, well it should be Jefferson Animal Hospital. They're not only there for you to schedule an appointment, get an evaluation, get your pets checked on, see if they might need you know, might need some you know, I was going to give you some kind of like of an operation, some kind of a pursuit. I don't know enough about that world of keeping animals safe, but you know, I'm sure there's many of instances where someone has taken their pet to the Jefferson Animal Hospital just for just for a check up, valuation and evaluation, and then you learn the hey you're behind on some shots, or hey it looks as if they've got you know, this issue. Let's let's let's figure out how we can get that corrected. So again, Jefferson Animal Hospital. You can check him out online Jefferson Betts dot com. Give him a call five h two nine hundred Pets they're right there on out of Loop. They've been there for a long long time at A lot of things have come and gone from that out of Loop area over there by Jay Malt not Jefferson Animal Hospital. So again we certainly appreciate them. Get more info at Jefferson Vets dot com quick break. We'll come back on the other side wrap up or four o'clock hour. I don't know what time it is, I don't know.
Speaker 3: What day it is.
Speaker 2: I'll figure it out though, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. I think I can say that if if I never if I'd ever heard of Morgan Wallen's song again, I would be okay. And that sounds really mean, it's just the truth. But I don't think he's bad, And actually I find him to be pretty pretty talented as an artist. I know you're not a big fan, I mean meaning that you don't like seek his music out unless you know I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: You can't. You can't not, I mean you're correct where you can't. The melodies he puts together are so infectious to listen to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think just me, I really, I really have an appreciation for those that are very much ninety nine percent of the artistry and what they do, meaning you know's he's obviously working with producers for every song. He writes his own music. His melodies, as you mentioned, are always catchy, and there's a lot of And who would I be to say anybody that's made it in mainstream music, you know, with a record deal and fame and success, Like, who am I to say that they're not talented? But you know, there's a lot of music that I hear now mainstream that I just don't really know where the talent is. But hey, it's working for him, so they're successful. But I feel like he's not somebody that I hear and think like, oh, it's just the new wave. I think he's really talented, you know what I mean. And you know, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: There's a reason he rose kind of above the rest of that era that some people consider bro country. Maybe you do or don't fit this into that category, but it is it kind of birthed from that era in your opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I'm sure he feels great about himself as an artist, knowing that he has my respect, Like, I'm sure that's what he was striving for. Oh yeah, And now he has it, So congratulations.
Speaker 3: He really wanted to hear his song right here on Sports Talks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's had a lot go his way in his career. There's been a lot of as you mentioned, it's just been an explosion with him as far as popularity. But this was the moment for him hearing DJ company Man playing it on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's what that was what he was striving for, and now it's happened for him. So congratulations to you, Morgan Walland you might know this, she might not now that we're talking about Morgan Walland did you know that he is cousins with Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: I no, I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Matt used to talk about it. I think at the time he was exploding, it became it was more of a talking point for Matt, and maybe he still talks about it and references that. I just haven't heard it in a while. I don't. I rarely ever think about that, but I'm not, you know, as someone who's friends with Matt, and I know Matt well, and some people want to throw things at me when I say that, but it's just the truth. That's one of the most random things of all time? It is, is it not? That's the most Matt Jones being Matt Jones being related to Morgan Wallen is again one of those random things I think I've ever said on the radio.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 3: R maybe maybe he has. I just have no.
Speaker 2: At some point before he was like super famous and probably impossible to get there was I don't know if he was ever on KSR, but I know since he's been, you know, in the limelight. Like I didn't realize it until way later he was on the Voice. Did you know that I did not know that. Yeah, look him up on Google. Morgan wall on the Voice. He looks way different, like he was going for a different look there. He was more of like a almost like a teeny bopper singer, like country singer, of course, but like he he just looked like, Yeah, he looked a lot different. So I think at that time, you know that that might have been the last time that they were, you know, relatively close. But you know his I mean his grandmother, and I think it's Matt's great aunt or maybe second cousin. I don't know how it all works, and I don't mean just because of their situation, but I've got like I've got cousins who have kids and their kids have kids, and like, I don't know, I feel like it seems more of like an uncle thing, but technically where like third cousins or something like that. So anyways, there was a death in the family and I think one of more is it one of Morgan Wallen's album covers an old house. Yes, that old house like Matt Matt has been in it a bunch of times, because that's that's like where he grew up, meaning Morgan Wallin and like they would have family get togethers.
Speaker 3: At that houses. And I think that is the random thing.
Speaker 2: And I think, and I could be wrong, Matt conrrect me. I think the house is Morgan Walland's Grandma's, who is technically Matt's like second cousin or something like that. But again, like I rarely ever think about that, but I thought you might not know that, and I thought you might agree, and I thought you might agree that that's in that's insanely random, But it's.
Speaker 3: Also very this might sound weird, a very Matt Jones thing to be true at the same time, you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, he's had some some random I mean, like he he's had a lot go his way. He's clearly a talented guy and he's worked hard for everything he has. But like sometimes I hear, like Ryan Lemon say something on KSR, and I'm like, how does maggot so lucky to have a guy that's just nothing? But without trying Ryan Lemon, who's a great guy. Love Ryan Lemon, but he's just he's walking content right, Like, yes, he couldn't be at trivia tonight, he said on KSR today because he's judging a Halloween costume contest. But it's for pets. Like that's a real thing, and like that's something a scriptwriter would put in there in like a sitcom. The goofy guy on their show can't make it because he's judging which pet has the best Halloween costume. Real story too, by the way, all right, five o'clock hours next, keep it locked right here, it's coffee and Company. Phil about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety